Speaker 1: Hi, what's your name? What's up, Neve? How's it gone good?
Speaker 2: How are you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm hanging in there. I'm lizarding. I'm lizarding it up. How can I get you today? Nive?
Speaker 3: I totally did not expect you to answer. What he I have pet snails, pet giant African land snails, and where I live they're illegal, and so I keep them a secret a lot, and I usually keep track of the amount of eggs that they have. But I guess I missed a couple of days and they usually lay hundreds at a time and they all hatched, and the other day I found hundreds crawling around and I don't know how to kill them.
Speaker 1: Wow, So why are these snails illegal?
Speaker 3: I live in Canada, and it's like if they're native to Africa, and if they get out, they can you know, ruin the ecosystem in the area.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. What how did you get them?
Speaker 3: Some girl who like lives in a random town outside of my city at them. I don't know how she had them.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. You know, I so like you know this, uh, like they'll be like a bunch of like crickets or I'm just using a random example. But like there they'll be like crickets and they're like an invasive species, right, and so they'll be signs where it's like, if you see one of these crickets, kill them because they're invading there, you know what I'm talking about. Yeah, I always thought I always thought that was fucked up because it's like, why hold on, wait a minute, So but these crickets, these crickets are not morally I mean, you know, we could make an argument about whether or not you know, like people who've done wrong deserve to die, right, but you know, do do do insects that have done wrong deserve to die? I think pretty obviously no, because that like no insect ever invaded you know. The insects are not like you know, Hitler doing World War two. They're they're not like planning this out. They're just running around. They just found themselves there. So why are we supposed to, you know, kill them. I feel like that's fucked up. You know, like look, why like why not let them if any I mean, look, humans, we're the most invasive species to ever exist. We should all kill ourselves if uh, you know, if if we're trying to get rid of invasive theses headline therapy Gecko says we should all kill ourselves. But anyway, so, how many snails are we working with here?
Speaker 3: Probably like two or three hundred?
Speaker 1: You have? You are currently in possession of three hundred snails.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where do you.
Speaker 1: Put three hundred snails?
Speaker 3: Right now? They're chiny, which is good, but that's why I don't know what to do. I'm currently they laid more eggs this morning, and I'm currently getting them out of the tank.
Speaker 1: You have three hundred illegal snails?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Are they all? How big is this tank that you're keeping them all in?
Speaker 3: Well? The big tank is like a big fish tank that my my, I have two snails that are like fully grown. They're the ones that have these and then the babies. I'm just putting them in like containers.
Speaker 1: So the government wants you to kill your snails. Uh yeah, oh okay, So you're torn because you don't want to kill the snails, but also you don't want to release them because then they'll start invading stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'll probably die if I release them anyways too.
Speaker 1: Oh so they're destined to dine a matter of what, or you could keep them in foster them. Yeah, why let's go back to the beginning. Why did you purchase illegal snails?
Speaker 3: Because I really like snails and these ones get really big.
Speaker 1: So if you really like snails, why is it so bad to have three hundred of them?
Speaker 3: I don't know where to put three hundred snails. I can't feed three hundred snails.
Speaker 1: Could you send them back to Africa?
Speaker 3: That'll probably get me a just did Why would that?
Speaker 1: Wait? Why would that get you arrested?
Speaker 3: Because I don't think you can be sending snails.
Speaker 2: Over the borders.
Speaker 1: But how do they get there?
Speaker 3: I don't know? All right, so I want to find the people who brought them here in the first place.
Speaker 1: All right, So you have three hundred baby snails. So the only option, I guess would be to kill all three hundred of them, or not the only option. I'm sure we can find a way out of this. But you're considering killing three hundred baby snails because you can't hold on to them. You can't let them out into the wild, and you can't send them back to their home.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wait, this is kind of like that movie. This is kind of like that movie three hundred right, I don't know that movie. Okay, I haven't seen. It's probably not like that at all. But what were you thinking to do? What are you leaning towards?
Speaker 3: I think I just have to kill them. I don't know. I kind of knew this was going to happen, but I was I didn't think they were all going to hatch. I thought I would just be able to maybe kill the like the eggs when they were still eggs. But then I lost track and they all hatched. And now there's so many tiny baby snail faces looking at me, and it's hard to kill them.
Speaker 1: Why did you buy them in the first place? If you knew you were gonna have to kill them?
Speaker 3: Well, I thought I would just like get, you know, find them when they were eggs, and then be able to kill the eggs.
Speaker 1: Oh so you were going to buy them and then kill their babies.
Speaker 3: That's usually how it's done.
Speaker 4: That's kind of fucked up, you know, But otherwise.
Speaker 3: I mean someone else was going to do it, so I might. I was, you know, they're already here, like the snails are already You're like just there. When they have babies. They're gonna die anyways, whether they're in the wilder.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could say that about every organism. Every organism is gonna die anyway. Yeah, what could you eat them? They do that in France.
Speaker 4: Mmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess like you could eat eat them they're they're I don't think I feel like that would be more cruel to eat my pets babies.
Speaker 1: Why would that be more cool? I feel like it's less cruel because, like if you just kill them, just to kill them, like we kill things and eat them all the time, this would be pretty normal. You're just kill It's like you eat a chicken sandwich, except you're eating the snail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this might Every time I tell people this, it sounds really bad. But I thought, like, you know, I would like I would kill the eggs, you know, crush them, and then I could I could seat them back to my snails. It's a lot of nutrients, it's good protein, and they.
Speaker 1: Will fucked up.
Speaker 3: That's what so many people do. That's what they tell me to do online.
Speaker 1: People online tell you kill your snails babies and then feed your snails dead babies to the snails.
Speaker 3: They don't know, they don't know it's they just it's yummy to them. It's like a protein shake.
Speaker 1: Wait, these snails enjoy eating their own dead babies.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, they don't know. It's just like it's just a snack to them.
Speaker 1: In that case, I think these snails are sickos and you should kill them. Okay, and then when you're killing them, you don't have to feel bad because you can be like, well, these guys were about to eat their own dead babies, and that's fucked up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, why did you do that?
Speaker 1: Why did you do any of this? Do you have any other hobbies? What do you do with your life? Who are you?
Speaker 3: I don't do anything. I just I have snails. I really love snails. They used to collect snails all the time, and then I found out you could there are giant snails you can get and I wanted to get giants snails.
Speaker 1: These are the giant snails. Yeah, how big are Can you send me a picture of these snails?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Can you text it to the phone line?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: Where in Africa are they from?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What what are they called?
Speaker 3: They're called giant African.
Speaker 1: Land snails, Giant African land snails. Okay, I'm gonna let me google giant African land snails, Giant African snail. Oh wait, these are huge?
Speaker 3: Y know?
Speaker 1: These are huge snails. Yeah, okay, so for those who are listening on the audio, there's a picture that I have. I'm looking at of a snail that fits on a person's hand. These are giant snails. And right, how long until they become this big?
Speaker 3: Like? A year? Year or two?
Speaker 1: All right? So you have a year until these snails become this spend you have three hundred of these?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jesus man, Yeah, I'll send you. I don't know if it went through.
Speaker 1: Oh you sent a foot a right. Let me look at this picture one second. Okay, I I did not get your snail picture, but that's okay. I'm looking at I get a reference of my own on uh on on Google. Yeah, dude, maybe, I mean ship does anyone? You can't say tell them right, because then you're you're trafficking snails.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I could maybe find the girl that gave them to me and see if she wants them.
Speaker 1: How did you get in touch with this girl that gave you the snakes, I mean the snails?
Speaker 3: Do you know the website Kajiji?
Speaker 1: Not at all. I'm not familiar with any snail marketplace website.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I think it's like a Canadian thing. It's like eBay kind of okay, it's like just a place where people post on like things online they're selling. And she was just pad a listing for these snails on them.
Speaker 1: How long did you buy them from her?
Speaker 3: Bought them April twenty two.
Speaker 1: Oh, you've had these fucking snails for two years?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wait? So how so they're already that big?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So you have three hundred of those giant snails?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, they they only I bought sorry, I bought two baby ones from her two years ago.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, so right now you have wait, okay, all right, so you have two giant snails, but they just had three hundred babies. Yeah, okay, all right, so you bought a guy and a guy and a girl.
Speaker 3: Well they're hermaphrodites, so they I don want a gender. Really, they can produce asexually or sexually.
Speaker 1: Nice. Yeah, Jesus man. Yeah, you're gonna have to kill those babies. Yeah, Chat, do you have any I'm gonna ask the chat if they have any questions for you. Chat.
Speaker 3: I'm in Canada, and I questions of suggestions destroying life.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, you're gonna have to deal with the Lord at the Gates of Saint Peter. But someone said, oh, this is actually a good idea. Are there any universities or groups that can take them?
Speaker 3: Maybe? But I like it in trouble if they know I have these here, there's.
Speaker 1: No like snail you know how Okay? So like, oh wait, okay, how about this? Okay? So sometimes I go to when I go to the so sometimes when I go to the airport, there's like a marijuana amnesty box where it's like, all right, look, we know that you you know you got weed on you, but if you just put it in this box, you're cool. Right. Is there like a is there like a snail amnesty box?
Speaker 4: Hm?
Speaker 3: Hmm Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 1: Google Google Google snail amnesty box. Yeah, okay, all right, let's see what the chat has to say. Uh oh, so and asked if you can make them into a soup?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's yeah, you could.
Speaker 1: Which someone asked would you get arrested if you were called for this? Like, do you are you familiar with the what are the actual consequences? Could you get arrested?
Speaker 3: I'd probably just get like a fine since I only have them. Maybe if I was Yeah, it's probably just a fine.
Speaker 1: How much is the fine?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: How much are three hundred baby snails lives worth to you?
Speaker 3: I feel like if I let them out into the wild, I would get a really big fine or something. You know. But or if I was telling them to people, I get in a lot of troubles. Book. I don't know. I didn't control how many they had. That's their fault.
Speaker 1: Someone says you could put them in a box and take them to an orphanage. That's something.
Speaker 3: I could. I feel like the orphanage might get scared and not know.
Speaker 2: What it is.
Speaker 1: People. A bunch of people in the chat are saying do not release them, But I think, why not? What do you? Here's what? Okay, let me what's gonna happen if you release them? What are they gonna do?
Speaker 3: Uh? Well, I live in Canada, so it's really cold right now, so they would just die immediately? In English?
Speaker 1: Oh all right, yeah, so they were going to die anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know why you bought these snails?
Speaker 3: Man, They make me so happy?
Speaker 1: Are they making you happy right now?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: I'm a bit frustrated with them?
Speaker 1: What what's wrong? Well? I guess what's what's so wrong? Like couldn't you can't? Can't you buy like normal snails? Like what what was so bad about? Why were the vibe A regular snails not enough for you? So you had to buy these snails?
Speaker 3: These oms are so big? Isn't that cool?
Speaker 1: What's your name again?
Speaker 3: Neeve?
Speaker 1: Well, Nieve? What are you gonna do before we go?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna I'm gonna reflect on my actions. I'm going to be more a careful and make sure the eggs don't hatch. That's what I'm going to do.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 3: No? I mean I've been watching you for so long, literally like the beginning of COVID, So it's very cool to talk to you.
Speaker 1: It's cool to talk to you too. I would hope that if you kept me in a you know, terrarium, and you found out that I was illegal, that you would kill me and end my suffering.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's good to know.
Speaker 1: Thank you for calling, Neve.
Speaker 3: Thank you good.
Speaker 1: Why imagine having three hundred illegal little lizards? I feel like if it was lizards I would have been I would have gone harder on her just because like that's personal for me. But uh yeah, you know, uh eat those snails I went.
Speaker 4: I went.
Speaker 1: I ate snails once. I was in Paris many years ago and I ate some snails and they're pretty good. So maybe maybe just eat the snails. Hey, folks, this is Lyle. I am very excited to announce that I am going back on tour in twenty twenty four to do Therapy Gecko Live all across the country. If you've never been to one of my live shows before, they are extremely fun, unpredictable, wild evenings that involve a mix of group Gecko therapy sessions as well as some material and presentations from myself. And if you've been to the show before, I have new presentations and will of course be interviewing new people. If you're a fan of the podcast, you're gonna have a great time at the live show. So I hope to see you guys there. Go to Therapy geckotour dot com or check the link in the episode description for a full list of cities where tickets are available. Also, if you don't see your city on the list of cities, please still click the link and RSVP with your phone number. So I can contact you when tickets go on sale for your city, because I'm going to announce a bunch more dates very soon. Gek Bluss, Hello, Hello, Hello. What's your name, sir?
Speaker 2: My name is Delta.
Speaker 1: Uh, Delta. When I go by like Delta nine, Like what Delta nine, Delta A, what's the what's the what's the exact DLTA nine? Yeah, well, Delta, how can I get you today? What's going on?
Speaker 3: Oh? Man?
Speaker 2: Sorry, I'm a little nervous. I didn't think I would actually get on. Let's see, I text to do saying that I'm addicted to doing crime and I think it's because of my childhood trauma. So I'm a graffiti writer. I actually am friends with uh that dude Smiley that you talked to that fell off the billboard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually know exactly what you're talking about. Yeah, I was gonna. I was actually thinking about this because we did a graffiti call a few months ago where this guy like he he graffitied a fucking you know. That guy totally deserved it because he he he was like graffitediing like an orphanage billboard or something, and he billboard.
Speaker 2: I was there with him.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was on top of the billboard and I watched him fall. It wasn't it wasn't an orphanage billboard. It was actually a blank billboard, like sometimes one day are switching out ads and nobody has like bought the billboard. It's just blank, it's black. So that's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 1: So what I assume is graffiti the only crime that you're addicted to committing. Is there any other crimes do you want to admit? Sure?
Speaker 2: I mean stealing kind of goes with graffiti. So I'm gonna addicted to that. I'm addicted. I guess to like driving fast. I like drifting, but I do it relatively safe.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm not as reckless as I was when I was younger. I go up to the mountains in the middle of the night and drift up there with my friends. I'm just addicted to like high risk, like adrenaline fueled activities. And yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And you feel like and you feel like this is link to your childhood.
Speaker 2: I think so because I was always in like a fight or flight kind of mindset when I was younger, and I think these activities are a way for me to kind of feel that way, but in a controlled environment, if that makes sense, In a somewhat controlled environment, in an environment that I put myself.
Speaker 1: In, I'll say that, hmm. Okay, Uh, so you're you're you're trying to summon your flight or fight or flight, uh, in a situation that you have control over.
Speaker 2: I guess so, yeah, I mean yeah, on the surface level, is just I enjoy doing these things and they're fun to do. But yeah, when I like think deeper on it and talking to like my therapist, I think it's linked to that.
Speaker 1: M okay, to these like situations they create trouble for you.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I have gotten arrested for graffiti a few times. I've crashed multiple cars drifting and spent lots of money on you know, cars and stuff. But at the end of the day, like, I don't regret any of it. I still enjoy doing these things and I think I'll continue to do them. But as I you know, keep sucking up, I learned through my mistakes and learn how to do these things in the smarter, safer way.
Speaker 1: So the things that you're doing these are like drifting with cars and like motorcycles and shit like that.
Speaker 2: No, I do really want to get a motorcycle, but I know that I'm very reckless and I think I would die if I got a motorcycle.
Speaker 1: Okay, I really you're drifting with cars?
Speaker 2: Yeah, drifting in cars.
Speaker 1: So I've talked about this in the podcast before. I think, but I am addicted to watching horrible and videos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've gotten And.
Speaker 1: There is a Twitter page called it's called I Fuck It, this is my life. It's called faffo underscore TV. It's fuck Around and find Out TV, and it is a Twitter page dedicated to people pretty much exactly like you, who kind of fuck around and find out people like who For some like the videos will open with like a dude riding a bicycle off of a roof and you know, finding out you know, or like people you know who are who are driving their cars in a in a crazy reckless way and finding out you know, so you've been fucking around with with a solid success rate, but soon you will find out that's what happens to those who who you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've found out, but maybe not to like the super extreme. I mean, I flipped a car on its roof and the mountains and uh completely totaled it and got very lucky by only walking away with like a couple of scratches. You know, I've watched my friend fall off the billboard almost to his death. I've been in many situations that are very close to, you know, serious consequences.
Speaker 1: And you and you and you, and you plan to continue doing these things that are edging you towards very serious consequences.
Speaker 2: I guess, so yeah, But I don't know. As I get older, like I'm definitely being more conscious and safe with my decisions, like like.
Speaker 1: Like what like tell me, tell me something you have planned to do that is an example of one of these behaviors.
Speaker 2: Okay, So for drifting, I I am planning to once I fix my car and planning to go to the track a lot more and really like get my skills down on the track. I'm still gonna drift in the streets, but I'm just gonna not do it as much.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna what is drifting drift? What exactly is drifting in the streets? What does that mean? Well?
Speaker 2: For me, I like going up into the mountains on like curby like mountain roads and finding a good couple of corners and just kind of drifting through those corners with my friends, and we'll like tandem with each other, so we'll try to like, you know, get really close to each other while we're sideways, essentially like drifting. And yeah, it's like the art of like controlling your car while it's sideways, you know how. Like you, I don't know if you've ever like hit a big puddle while you're driving being and it kind of like makes you slip out. It's like that, but on purpose.
Speaker 1: That sounds really stupid.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of fun. It is pretty stupid, but it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're gonna die doing that. That's the stupidest. That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of. Me and my friends go up to a mountain. Do you do this at night?
Speaker 2: Yeah? At night?
Speaker 1: You me and my friends go up in a in a mountain in the middle of the night and we and we drive really fast right next to each other on windy roads. That's what. It's really stupid.
Speaker 2: It's so fun though.
Speaker 1: Fucking playing video games, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't know, it doesn't give me that same Well.
Speaker 1: It's also really stupid because here's another thing, is like if you want to kill yourself. You know, you, as a human being, have the right. You can do that. It's the right that you have, is your its bodily autonomy. But you're don't risk killing other people?
Speaker 2: Well no, I'm not. That's the why we go in the in the night, because then there's nobody else on the roads. Plus at night you can see oncoming headlights, so if for some reason there is somebody coming, we'll see them like multiple corners ahead and we'll notice stop.
Speaker 1: Well, uh yeah, no, I think it's just really dumb. Well do you are you?
Speaker 4: Do you?
Speaker 1: Are you aware of it? You're gonna die if you keep doing this.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'm gonna die. I think it's safer than you'd imagine. Like, I have a friend that snapped an axle while he was drifting and he like fell off the cliff basically in his Miata, And I mean his car sustained like no major damage. It broke like a tirod and he was able to fix it. And uh yeah, like it's it sounds really crazy, but when you're up there doing it, it's a lot safer than you'd imagine it to be.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm actually I so you might have heard this, but I had this very very similar phone call a few months ago with a guy who liked to ride his motorcycle crazy fast. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is a similar thing. And I told that guy he was a fucking idiot.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing with motorcycles is there's no huge metal shell around you to protect you. It's just you and the elements. So that's why I haven't gotten the motorcycle because of that. And I think I will die if I get a motorcycle. Yeah. I told my friends to like take it away from me if I ever do get one.
Speaker 1: I'm conflicted about this because I'm telling you not to do it, but I also, you know, I kind of want you to so that way, I see you on on the fuck around and find out Twitter page and I'm like, oh shit, I know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you ever see a redion.
Speaker 1: I actually I actually am conflicted about it because I actually am conflicted about it because like, well, like there's like there are are like extreme sports. There's like professional motocross motherfuckers, and like yeah, race car drivers and like you know, like the jackass guys, Like there are people who professionally have learned to do stupid things, which I guess makes it a legitimate thing to do. But like why but they do, but they don't do it like and like why like just stick to the track, you know, I just stick to the track.
Speaker 2: Most of them learned on the street. There's professional drifters too, and most of them learned on the streets. Maybe maybe not in the mountains, but you know they'll find like whatever they have near them roads.
Speaker 1: But just why do you have to do it in public where like other people can like get fucked up?
Speaker 2: I mean, because the track is expensive.
Speaker 1: And it's far dumb. That's so dumb, you know. I don't. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't want you to think I'm like trying, like I'm we're we be we're really cautious about other people. We have like people standing on the corner with flashlights and they'll you know, like wave the flashlight if they see a car coming.
Speaker 1: So we noticed us, And it's just dumb. I just you know, it's not like I just don't fuck with that kind of thing. I really don't. I really like don't. I mean for me personally, I don't like to do anything where I can get like fucked up, and then for other people, it's like it's not cool to do things where like, you know, like other people can get fucked up. Like imagine someone at the bottom of the mountain. They're just taking a little midnight walk and a rolling car just crushes them.
Speaker 2: I highly doubt somebody would be walking on those roads in the middle of the night. But I see your point. I for sure see I've gotten you.
Speaker 1: Know when I was, I just don't like that kind of shit. I mean, I'm like I said, I'm addicted to watching these videos, and I'm watching these videos and I'm like, I do not understand these people who do this kind of shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah not I get it. I feel it, but uh.
Speaker 1: But I mean whatever, man, it's it's uh, I don't know, I don't know. I feel like I already did this call with the with the motorcycle guy, and I I could eat everything I said to him to you, but you know, I don't know how worth it that would be. Yeah, yeah, I'm it's probably it's probably not a good part of those videos. Those like funk around him found out find out videos. I feel less bad about them because it like it really it really is. People fucked around and found out like there's this one video of a dude who's like sticking his hand. He's literally sticking his hands in a lion cage.
Speaker 2: That's exactly the video. I was thinking, you're gonna say, yes, I.
Speaker 1: Know, you know the video and like he's he's and the lion like like like like like bites like like like goes at goes it goes at his hand and he takes his hand down, and at that point you got away free. At that point, most people, most people wouldn't be doing that in the first place, but most people would leave and stop doing it. But this guy puts his hand back into the lion's cage. The lion grabs his fucking finger, dude, and and rips his finger off, and it's like the tendon comes out like a mozzarella stick, and you know, normally but he's and it's like, dude, the mother for the guy who stuck his hand in the lion cage, you know, yeah, yeah, I mean it's a lot of those, like gore videos are like innocent people getting hit by cars and ship But that's that's the thing I guess I admire about the fuck around him. Find out page is that it's it's it really is people who you're like, dude, what are you doing? Just just jumping off of roofs and ship I don't know anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you seen the ones of like people at UH side shows. We're like, it's a big group of people like drifting in an intersection and people get like hit and they go flying like bowling pins.
Speaker 1: I'm amazed that you watch this page and it hasn't got you to be like I should stop doing this. That's I find that amazing.
Speaker 2: If anything, it just teaches me how to be a little bit safer about what I do.
Speaker 1: Well, it was nice knowing you, man. What's your name? Delta? Delta? Is anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 2: No, thank you for taking my call. I hope you have a good rest of your night. Shout out ha GD, shout out ypc's shout out Friend's crew.
Speaker 1: I don't know. All those people should stop doing whatever they're doing and go with the paint in their room.
Speaker 2: They're just groups of like minded people having fun in this world.
Speaker 1: Groups of like minded people making the streets far more dangerous for pedestrians and civilian drivers a lot. Ill these guys are stopped doing that.
Speaker 3: The ters.
Speaker 2: They're making the streets more beautiful. They're putting color on the walls. And I'm gonna do a I promise you, I'm gonna do a therapy gecko.
Speaker 1: Piece for you. Yeah. Where what? What? What? What?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Where in the in the bay Area in Oakland?
Speaker 1: Oh ship our Wait? Do it before I do it. I'm coming to the Bay Area in June. Do it before I come.
Speaker 2: I know, I think it's your show.
Speaker 1: Oh you do? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Me and the my friend was trying to go last time smiler, the guy that fell off the billboard and he got sick and didn't go.
Speaker 1: But wait, actually, actually, can you if you decide to do it, can you d m me? Because I might end up hanging out in the Bay Area for a couple of days before the show, and if you do it, I want to see it sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got you, okay.
Speaker 1: But also but also also if you like get arrested for it, I had nothing to do with it.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 2: I got you. I'll take you drifting too, if you want to come.
Speaker 1: Damn, maybe, dude, what if what if the one time the I come along is where it goes wrong and we all die.
Speaker 2: No, if I ever have passengers in the car, I'm like thirty times more safe about it, Like I don't crash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well thirty times zero is zero.
Speaker 2: It would be sick dude. We've got to like, we won't even have to go to the mountains. We can go to like a big ethnic parking lot where nothing and let's be sick dude in the therapy costume, in the get in the get costume.
Speaker 1: Bro. Yeah, I'm gonna play. I'm gonna play video games in my hotel. You can. You can drive off the side of a mountain if you so desire. Uh, but let me know about the graffiti. Actually sounds so cool. All right, thanks for calling Delta, see you around the universe.
Speaker 2: Thanks man, peace, have a good night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm never going to get in the car with that guy, but uh, if he wants to, you know, drug graffiti on a under a bridge in my name, that actually sounds kind of cool, but illegal, and I do not endorse illegal behavior. I am a gecko. Hey, folks, this is Lyle. I'm jumping in here to talk about this next phone call because it's not actually a phone call. It's actually a conversation that I had with a person in real life. So here's what's going on with me. I just I've been trying to leave my house more and I used to do I haven't done one of these since June of last year in Australia, but I used to do a lot of these interviews where I would go out into the world with some chairs and a zoom recorder and a microphone and my iPhone and just set up with a sign that says talk to a real gecko and chat with people who are down to chat with me. And so this past Monday, I went to a little park in Brooklyn and I set up all my shit and I talked to some people. And you can find the full video of this on my YouTube channel YouTube dot com slash Lyle Forever. But what I'm about to play for you now is a little excerpt from that interview session that I had with a dude who works for he like helps film much this travel TV show, and he had a bike and he had long hair, which you won't be able to see because it's just an audio interview, but it was a cool conversation. I hope you enjoy it. And I'm probably gonna do a lot more of these things, so get used to it. I hope you like it. I'm I'm going out into the universe. I'm talking to everyone. It's gonna be good and all right. I'm gonna just play it and thanks for listening to my podc guest. What's up? What's your name?
Speaker 4: I'm Thomas.
Speaker 1: Nice to meet you, Thomas. What's uh? What are you doing? I picked a very unemployed time to set up in the park. It's three thirty pm on a Monday.
Speaker 4: I prefer the term funemployed.
Speaker 1: What are you unemployed? No?
Speaker 4: I do gig work.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, like film and TV?
Speaker 4: Nice?
Speaker 1: Nice?
Speaker 4: So I work on a travel show.
Speaker 1: What travel show?
Speaker 4: It's called Samantha Brown's Places to Love?
Speaker 1: Can I ask you about it? Or is it you ndy eight?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Can we can talk about it. We haven't shot anything in like, I don't know, five six months.
Speaker 1: So oh okay, because it's like the seasonal Samantha Brown say it again.
Speaker 4: Places to Love. It's on PBS.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, Where's she go?
Speaker 4: All over the place? We do a lot of stuff in the States. So I started with them like three years ago as a photographer and COVID was a thing because it was like twenty twenty one, so all of our travel was domestic, and then we went to Ireland last fall. Sorry, no, twenty twenty two. That was the first domestic trip I did with them. Before COVID, they did a bit more international stuff, but I just like wasn't on the team. But yeah, so I've been with them for a few years now. I'm doing like some like third camera work as well. So small team kind of get to do a lot, which is fun.
Speaker 1: Very nice.
Speaker 4: But yes, we go, uh we start shooting in a couple weeks.
Speaker 1: Oh, where you're gonna go?
Speaker 4: Uh, Crystal Coast? Is that what's called the North Carolina like coastal North Carolina. It's like I don't know if you've ever seen that famous white lighthouse. No, it's like one of the North.
Speaker 1: Carolina from Seinfeld.
Speaker 4: I don't think so talking about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's the only famous lighthouse.
Speaker 4: That's fair. That's fair. And then we're going to New Orleans, which you probably do know.
Speaker 1: I've been. I've been around the States, but I've never been in New Orleans.
Speaker 4: It's school town. I've been a little bit. I'm excited to go because usually we get like behind the scenes access, you know, so like they take us cool places.
Speaker 1: So I what, because I want to do a travel show, I do that. I mean, this is my version of a travel show. What's she do? It's her show.
Speaker 4: Well, so she's like a legit TV personality. So she was on the travel channel for like twenty five years. Oh, she had like her own shows and was I think I think wanted more control over the content of the show. So now she and her husband kind of co produced the show. So she's the host, heasy executive producer. They do everything kind of in house, which is cool. Do they make it put it on YouTube or it's all on PBS so it's all free on like on the PBS app or their websites. But they own the show, which is cool. So they're actually looking to get more into YouTube. So this is cool.
Speaker 1: But I'm curious about this because all right, so she's been doing this for twenty five years. Right now, after twenty five years, I haven't years, I haven't just seen everything.
Speaker 4: You know, fair enough, I really do feel that way.
Speaker 1: I'm really like, after twenty five years, Yeah, how do you stay excited? I mean, I guess that's the question for her. But I'm curious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fair enough. Now, I mean I've been fortunate enough to travel a lot in the last years. Yeah, I mean, like on a much smaller scale than her. But but yeah, I don't know. You definitely start to have to find like value in like the little parts of travel and the things that like, you know, I think I like people. I like meeting people when traveling, And I think there's something cool about, like, I don't know, like just you interact with people that their life might be totally different than yours. Yeah, it might function in a completely different sphere of the world, and yet here you are interacting for some reason or another. Yeah, I just think that's kind of cool. Yeah, And I think you tend to cross more paths with more strangers when you're traveling for some reason.
Speaker 1: It's true. Yeah, it's true. Do you So do you do you travel a lot independently of your job?
Speaker 4: I sometimes it depends, I think. I mean I did a big road trip last summer. It was kind of like my own personal trip. So I'm from Upstate New York, like two hours north here. Cool, So I started there and I did like a giant loop all the way around the country, like all the way to la and back, basically hit the rest of the states. I hadn't been too so now I'm at forty nine out of fifty. I gotta go to Hawaii.
Speaker 1: But did you go by yourself? Did you go with homies?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So it was cool. It was cool. I did I want out for like six weeks. It was like ten thousand miles, like it was a big trip. So it was I feel like road trips are less like vacation and more adventure.
Speaker 1: Did you get Did you get lonely?
Speaker 4: For sure? I mean in the middle there, I kind of mixed in some like family and friends, like my mom's from Utah, so like I saw some family out in Utah I haven't seen a while, and like friends up and down California. So and then on the way back it was kind of it was a couple of chunks in the middle basically where I was like solo.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting. I've done a lot of solo travel myself, but I feel like America is not great for solo travel. But I don't know what you think about that, because I mean in like you know, Europe and other places, there's like hostels you can stay in and yeah, people like that. Dir yeah, yeah, but like and if you travel in America, it's just you and your car kind of for sure.
Speaker 4: I definitely cant a lot, so I've got a little tent. I did sleep in my car a few times, just so sometimes it's like easier. Like I went to like National Parks, so I would try and get up at like sunrise, and it was much easier to like not have to pack up a tent that was all kind of dewey. I could just like turn on the car and just go. But yeah, it was. It was a good time. And I think, uh, I don't know, I feel like it's a it's a good way to see the country if you got the time. I think a road trip is like one of the best ways to see America because if you're from somewhere else and you just come here to New York or just go to l A or whatever, like, there's there's a lot to be seen. But I think, uh, I don't know, I don't think you get like like the heart of it, you know. I feel like I feel like there's some there's a lot of soul in just like the middle of nowhere where?
Speaker 1: Where? Where would you want to go next? Where's your next? Uh?
Speaker 4: Next personal trade? Next person interested in like Central and South America. I really don't speak any Spanish, so that would be a good start. But one of my really really close friends is from Costa Rica, or he lives in Costa Rica, so I might start there, go see him, But I don't know nothing on the books as of now. Staying open.
Speaker 1: What interesting? So I mean, so you you haven't shoed anything in six months.
Speaker 4: I mean I've done like other I've been doing other work. I haven't just been like okay that. Each winter's been a little different. Sometimes it's film stuff. Sometimes it's not like I've been doing this. Uh, I've been doing some driving for this telcom startup, so it's really random. But I like hop in a car and there's a there's a box of routers on the roof with SIM cards in them like in your phone, and it just every sixty seconds like runs a speed test and gets the very geospecific data for how fast each carrier is. So it's like independent third party data. I guess, like verifying, you can call it. But I mean I'm not doing any like the tech stuff. I'm just sitting in a rental car, like driving around Las Vegas for eight hours a day for six days in a row.
Speaker 1: Oh so you you do these gigs where you like go to a place. Yeah, yeah, and you're fucking working for like six weeks straight and then you come back and you chill, so you work and then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. I was actually talking about like, I mean, I feel like I work. It's it's inconsistent, like up and down. But I was talking her friend recently and it's kind of like, you know, it's like the the go harder go home. I feel like I go hard and then go home. I get both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like.
Speaker 4: I mean that's kind of been the flexibility that I've enjoyed of film and TV production in general. It's definitely a little stressful sometime, and there's no consistency in my life at all. But you know, I think for now, like it's it's definitely working.
Speaker 1: I you know what. I like that, right? Because uh, I like that because if it's saying is go hard or go home, but why not both? You go hard and then you go back exactly what it should be.
Speaker 4: It's in like waves. Yeah, So I feel like I've been very lucky the last few years. Like it's just been like, you know, I'm three years out of college, so three yeah, twenty twenty one. So I feel like I've been very lucky to have like a a fairly eventful few years.
Speaker 1: What's making you enjoy life on just.
Speaker 4: A day to day basis, Well, I just moved here. Oh, so that's been a change of scenery has been quite nice. Let's see. I I yeah, we when would you move here? Like the end of February. So me and my buddy, I'm living with my friend Patrick.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 4: Pat?
Speaker 1: Shout out Patrick?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Pat is like my oldest friend and he, uh, you and I have no each other since we were like, I don't know, eleven and twelve like that, so we grew up together and then this is the first time we've lived together. So he's gotten a new job, like I'm I'm in a new place. We're both in a new place. Like it's it's it's been pretty exciting, you know, get to bike around new places instead of the same place.
Speaker 1: What what do you hope for the future. What's what's keeping you going for the future.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I feel like I uh I don't know, like a consistent paycheck would be nice. Yeah, I mean I'm excited to be but the travel shows starting again, like I said, so like I'll be I'll be doing that again. But uh, I don't know. There's there's part of me that's definitely and at a point where I'm definitely kind of feeling like a crossroads, like I might take. Well, the two roads are like like one to continue what I have been doing, like do the like film, like he keep sticking with the gig work and like, you know, just be a little more stressed for now, and I hope it pays off in the future. But I mean it's still enjoyable for sure. It's cool experience. But I also have an opportunity to do more with this like Telcom company that I was talking about. I might do more like project management with them.
Speaker 1: So do you make your own movies?
Speaker 4: I make my little like shorts and stuff.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me about the last movie that you made.
Speaker 4: The last one. I will So the challenge. I set myself a challenge for this year to like make one video every month okay year, because I I do have other things and like I could say like once a week and I just like know that happen, so and it's like they're there. The concepts are broad. It's not meant to be a super like challenging like every every one's gonna be a little different. So I made one in February that was kind of just like about the concept of the leap day and like the idea of treating it like a bonus day, and how I think, like, you know, we have a lot more control in our perception of the world than we think sometimes, and I think that there's a lot to be said for saying this is a bonus day, like giving yourself the space to just like enjoy little things in life.
Speaker 1: Would you do with your leap day?
Speaker 4: I unpacked because it was like five days after, like not even it was like a couple days after I moved in, So mine mine was not as exciting.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I wasn't like land on a beach or anything, but uh, you know, I think, uh it was it was still like settling into new place, which felt good. So but yeah, in terms of the future, I'm just looking forward to seeing what comes next. It's it's exciting to live in New York. I always been near New York, you see.
Speaker 1: You seem like an excited guy. You seem like your life is it seems like you're going you're doing well.
Speaker 4: I feel I feel I feel very fortunate. Yeah, I feel quite positive about whatever's coming. I don't know, I don't worry about too much about it.
Speaker 1: But have you have you never been a war You've never been a warrior, A warrior, a worried a warrior.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I think I was like a lot more anxious as a kid. Yeah, I think I've I have my moments for sure.
Speaker 1: Still what changed to make you feel.
Speaker 4: Probably started smoking weed? Yeah, I feel like right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's so crazy because, like I I've probably talked about this to death on my shows and stuff. But it's crazy. We It's crazy because for some people who just causes debilitating anxiety, and for other people that cures it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I have friends who went from one to the other, Like they used to be fine and now they're like any time they're high, they're like freaking out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a very weird thing. Like I don't know, I mean, I have my own I feel like everyone's got their own relationship with it. But yeah, yeah, I feel like it just kind of like made things a little slower, made things a little easier to just like not worry too much about.
Speaker 1: I wish that we worked for me. I really did, because then I would love to be like stoned right now doing this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I feel like I don't know, like I feel like hosting, like especially it's like a stranger walks up and even like I kind of like know who you are, right like I'm obviously never liked sure, so like it's kind of like you have to got like make some un comfortable and like, you know, initiate something.
Speaker 1: And but like even if I was like like if you were like you're talking on the thing right now, if I like I would be you know, I guess i'd be anxious. I think sure.
Speaker 4: I mean I was a little bit at first, but I saw it. I was kind of like the whole bike thing was a little but I don't know, you want to go next? Nice coat? That coat is awesome.
Speaker 1: Is a cool coat. Thanks man, you too, God bless you.
Speaker 4: That was a really cool coat.
Speaker 1: That is a cool coat. Ye feathers and people around.
Speaker 4: Here are so stylish. It's awesome. Yeah, it really didn't rock my best fit to be on camera to no, you look great. I'm so comfy. Yeh, super comfy.
Speaker 1: No, this chair it looks shitty, but it's actually pretty cool for sure. And if it seemed like a little bag nice.
Speaker 4: It's so easy to take everywhere. Do you like live here or do you like travel around in the park? I mean, I don't know, dressed like this, you know, you're just like somewhere.
Speaker 1: I'm not joke. I kind of live here. I like I'm like airbeing being around. I don't rely live anywhere.
Speaker 4: You just like take these all over the place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I want to do. That's what I want to do. I'm trying to you've inspired me because I'm I'm well, I'm trying. I'll tell you about my struggles right now. I'm trying to decide, like should I stay and should I commit to being in New York and just like live a normal person life, or should I be like you know what, I'm still young. Let's go roade. Let's why what the hell am I doing here? I can do my job from anywhere when I go to Thailand or Puerto Rico or Alaska, all that all that stuff. You know, I totally I'm trying. I'm trying to figure out what the hell to do because I've done that before. But you always you come back and you know your life is still there.
Speaker 4: As the class would say, should I stay or should I go?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Yes, should I stay or should I go? But but but here's the thing, and I here's what I think the answer might be, go hard.
Speaker 4: And then exactly exactly. Maybe that's a shirt. Maybe go hard on the back and then go home.
Speaker 1: I like that. All right, Well we can put the profits on that perfect. What's your name again, Thomas, Thomas? Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer.
Speaker 4: Don't wait for things, just like go try because like I don't know, I'd rather have it go badly and learn from that then not know. Like That's what I'd say, if that made sense.
Speaker 1: Bless you, Thomas. That did it makes sense? That makes sense?
Speaker 4: All right? Cool? Thanks dude. This was fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was fun man. Thanks for I'm glad we're crashing in. Thanks for crashing in. Yeah. We we I think we figured we we figured it all out. Everything went okay and all right, Well, good luck with your day. Thank you, brother. Good luck with the rest of your bike. D I hope you earned many calories. Never be Cat goes on the line taking your phone calls every night. The repeat goes doing his eye. He's teaching you loud and your life, but he's not really an expert.