Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club Morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody is d j en Vy, Jess, Hilarious, Charlamagne to God. We are the Breakfast Club. Laura La Rosa is here as well. Now, now you want to step to the mic. We can pull up that chair. Do you want that chair?
Speaker 1: Will pull up that chair? You want us to pull up the couch?
Speaker 2: Okay? These are for you to brought you some flowers.
Speaker 1: I don't subject.
Speaker 3: I was very concerned about you.
Speaker 1: I was very concerned about you. And then we're talking concerns. That's all concerns.
Speaker 3: I was concerned.
Speaker 1: Congratulation on your podcast, thank.
Speaker 3: You the latest who learned the Rose of jopper On on March thirty. First, come on to black Queen. Oh now I'm a queen.
Speaker 1: You've always been a queen.
Speaker 4: Betch I mean queen, Queen, Queen, Queen, queen, queen, you always been a queen. Good morning, it's a queen.
Speaker 3: Missing you won't be booting here, It's okay.
Speaker 1: I don't okay, I don't understand what that means. I don't get booth.
Speaker 4: And sometimes it might be a situation where there's a misunderstanding, but don't you can't you don't know a person.
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 1: What happened with.
Speaker 2: So we were watching something online and it was a roast and they were boring you. Every time you spoke, they booed you.
Speaker 1: What happened? All right? This is?
Speaker 4: This is I don't really like to I really wanted to start this interview in a positive note as much as I can't stand y'all in the absence of somebody, where's he He's at a strip club dropping like it's hot somewhere. It was a very viral video that went down and looked very very suspect. It was your video, and then it was someone that was dropping like a hot in a lore sweatsuit. One of the most ratchet things you can do as a human. Okay, back to I was a lot of people don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Oh, you were doing a roast, you were hosting a roast.
Speaker 4: It was wasn't host I wasn't hosting.
Speaker 1: First off, I was.
Speaker 4: I was in Los Angeles, California, and I had the opportunity to meet with somebody that regard and in the highest manner that you know. I came in here and I've sung the I Lose Control song for the longest time, probably for the last couple of years, I've been used as Teddy Swims correct Teddy Swim. So I had the opportunity. Actually we were like connected through d M and that sounds sketchy and ship. We were connected through social media and I had the opportunity to meet him in person, hung out with him, and that turned what are you doing?
Speaker 3: I just, you know, like exclusives.
Speaker 5: I just want people to see you after the booing situation and I can confirm that you're good.
Speaker 4: So I had a chance to hang out with Teddy Swim and we we had some uh that night, we.
Speaker 1: Had some adult beverages.
Speaker 2: You drinking liquor.
Speaker 1: We were drinking liqu a lot of it.
Speaker 4: And what I learned that night was that you can't go toe for toad doing shots with Teddy Swims orl I don't know if you ever drink, do you.
Speaker 3: Want because you know how we come.
Speaker 4: On according to the streets, that I need to slow down on my drinking. I think I didn't ask for your opinion, mister perfect and uh. I went to comedy Roles hosted by Jeff Ross and the Negro.
Speaker 3: After the shots.
Speaker 4: After the shots, and it was a platform where comics go on stage and they do their three or four men's worth of roasting, and then you, as a guest, a guest host or u now host, a guest judge, you critique those people on what you thought their comedy meant or in that moment. And I didn't have a lot of favorable things to say about them, to which the negro on the show, UH encouraged the audience whenever I spoke to Boomy. So to your point of a boot, he told me to do it, you said, the negro said, how long is he.
Speaker 1: Going to do this? I'm sorry, go ahead, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm not doing it. And it was a situation. It was, it was.
Speaker 4: It was a misunderstanding. They bowed me. But it wasn't like a boot boo it was it was. It wasn't a boot like that. You got different boods. You got the fuck out of here. Your ship is corny boot. Then you got a boot that when people, uh, when they encouraged someone to do that, and that's what happened at night.
Speaker 2: And they bowed you. They bowed you a lot. Every time you spoke, you got on stage, they booed you. How did it make you feel?
Speaker 1: It means no, I'm too funny to be.
Speaker 5: Getting bulled too, because you actually are like I told you, like when I saw you at Radio City Music Hall, was like I've seen you before, and I was like, you're funny cutting.
Speaker 1: People off again? Period? Jesus Christ insta cutting people off again? Oh man?
Speaker 2: What that means?
Speaker 1: All right? Now? Christ?
Speaker 4: Did we raise our Handkirters? We get a bail of something that God damn order in the court. A lot of people missing the day.
Speaker 3: That's why you dressed like that. You came in here and thinking this was no.
Speaker 1: I just feel I feel like an adult today. Connected.
Speaker 2: I asked you a real question, Donald Rawlins, And if you haven't seen the video, yes, he was booed and uh, the host of the show told him every time he spoke to boom.
Speaker 4: I thought it was hilarius because of course you're person, of course, But but I actually like you.
Speaker 1: But do you think I don't? I'm not concerned about you liking me? All right? Okay? Fine?
Speaker 2: Seriously, do you think people take you serious enough like they do? Do you feel like they play with you too much? Because I feel like they wouldn't play with certain comics like that. But they feel like they play with you all the.
Speaker 1: Time like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they played too much my whole life, played too much my whole life. People thought I played too much when I was Korea. They didn't know how to say this, nigga play too much of Korean, so they would say too much a gameplay, And I was that's me. I'm a gameplay motherfucker. I'm the right position. They just to say that all the time, you have too much a gameplay every day?
Speaker 1: You why all the time? I'm not being funny. That's how the Korean is told.
Speaker 2: Why you heavy day?
Speaker 1: But it's get upset with me?
Speaker 4: Lawley's you every day? You all the time? Bullshit all the time? Shigara, he took job. You don't speak Korean? That shut up and be quiet?
Speaker 1: But why did they play jo shuk it all?
Speaker 2: But why did they play with you? Like they don't play with They don't play with ball, They don't play with any of the comedians that's on this wall. But they play with you all the time. It's like they almost try to take the fact that you are famous, the fact that you are successful, the fact that you are funny and try to downplay it all the time. Why do you think that is?
Speaker 1: You want to know the real answer to that? Please? Because of you, motherfucker?
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: You in this platform? That's why?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 4: Because y'all played too much. Y'all started with booty tricks. Y'all started with what black big answers?
Speaker 3: Can I cut you off?
Speaker 1: Can you come off?
Speaker 2: Start with you?
Speaker 1: It would not be you.
Speaker 3: You didn't start with the booty tricks.
Speaker 5: It started when you tried to come here and it was something like with your dad or remember the moment when Charlomagne's laughing at him.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's when you wrote a book about his dad.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 4: First of all, you probably was in high school when I first started doing this show. Okay, so your facts are incorrect. That's not how it started. The first time is the.
Speaker 3: One that we I'm cutting you off again?
Speaker 5: No you okay, I'm okay, yeah, all right, I'm just checking on you.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: The one that I most know of is the moment your dad in the book. And I felt bad for you in that moment too.
Speaker 4: I felt bad for myself at that moment. It was very, very awkward. He had a good time with that. You know what I'm saying. When he speaks about his dad or whatever, I'm like, oh, that's so good. The fact that his father was a po po and then the military, our kind of paths were parallels. So I support him and in relationship he has.
Speaker 1: With his father.
Speaker 4: Now, when I wanted to get really serious and talk about some childhood childhood, tryal in my life. They thought it was a joke. So back to your question, how did this start? And just to answer your question, you motherfucker the lack of respect that you guys have had, but I've mustered through it.
Speaker 1: I'm a better person.
Speaker 2: So you think because you come up here and play with us, you think people play with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. I think that's the part of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you seriously think that.
Speaker 1: I answered the question once?
Speaker 3: YEA be joking.
Speaker 1: So you're going to just keep asking a questions? Do you get to answer that you want?
Speaker 3: That's what I do.
Speaker 1: See what they be saying.
Speaker 3: Now, So.
Speaker 2: How do we change his narrative down now? Because I don't like the fact. I mean, you know what it is. You know, you know when you're dating somebody and you're like I could argue with her, but nobody else can I feel like that with us, Like we can make fun of you, but the world should be able to make fun of you. But like, I feel like they take your comedy lightly, but we don't take your comedy like nobody.
Speaker 4: That's a couple of people to take my comedy lightly, And I don't care about that. But nobody takes me lightly. It's just that, And I will say whatever I go. The first thing he says, why do you let the breakfast club.
Speaker 1: Fucking me like that?
Speaker 4: I said, I don't let them fuck with you. Yeah, like you know, the praise like they don't, they don't, they.
Speaker 3: Don't interrupt that one.
Speaker 4: Man, I said so many god damn prayers before I came up here today.
Speaker 1: Man, I wasn't. I didn't come here for that envy.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to talk to you because I really want to get your feelings and your expressions out there, because I don't like how people play with you. You know, the booing thing is funny, it's hilarious. I thought it was funny.
Speaker 1: It's nothing funny about you.
Speaker 4: It's the most traumatic thing you could deal with as a comedian, especially when when you when like when it's because you weren't funny, and the situation I had wasn't because I wasn't funny.
Speaker 1: It was just it was a setup, that's what it was.
Speaker 5: But that's a laquer I didn't I didn't like watching it because I was like, Okay, maybe this is what they do on that over there, but like I feel like it was a lack of respect, and I don't like that.
Speaker 1: I mean it was I wouldn't say it was a misunderstand.
Speaker 2: There's no tricks going on to that.
Speaker 1: It's no, I don't know what going on.
Speaker 2: There's nothing. We just having a real conversation.
Speaker 1: Listen, things happen.
Speaker 3: Mince is not here today.
Speaker 4: I noticed that so much better. Things happen as a committed of things happen. And then at the end of the day is what you do with those things that have happened. That incident I had with Jeff Ross and that roast battle, you know, it's a lot of things that could have happened that that I could have switched the situation I was lit. I'm not gonna lie about that. But at the end of the day, it's what when things happen. It's like they always say, can you turned lemon into lemonade? So they tried to tag with mister crash out. I am a crash out motherfucker. It's because of people in relationships that I have with people like yourself, like with her, she's absent today, he queen, Oh.
Speaker 2: Charlomanne for the girls?
Speaker 1: What was that when?
Speaker 5: So the video you referenced when Charlomagne was dropping it like it's hot and given all ballroom, in the ballroom, we call her maka minace.
Speaker 4: Monchael, minness, what's up monch minute? And it wasn't like it was like I practiced that like he practiced that at home and he finally had the platform to uh to drop it for everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But back to that would saying, so, so, how do you change that narrative? Because I feel like you let people trick you out of your position.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It started with the wh when the commedy called you mild and you was upset about that and you crashed out about that. Then with the bow and you crashed out about that.
Speaker 4: But because it's not true, son, there is nothing that's not There is nothing that's mild about me.
Speaker 2: After there's nobody not the door, the door closed, Get scared, yo.
Speaker 4: The reason why because there's no facts to make that make sense. After thirty years doing comedy, I've never ever once heard anybody called me mil so it's like this. It's like an assassination of somebody's character. When you put something out there and it's not true, you can be upset about it. I have to, and I'm thinking about getting a therapist. I have to learn how to deal with stuff like that and not take it so personal.
Speaker 1: But there's a couple of words.
Speaker 4: There's in words in comedy that when you said people get offended about a corny and whack those two words. It's almost like fight words in comedy. And it's not a person. I'm not a person who had a career where I go back or forth. One year he's funny, one year he's not, or whatever. Okay, I've been tearing up stages forever. And that's not just me saying it. It's anybody to come on any comment that come on this platform would agree that I'm a funny motherfucker. So when you put that out there, I take offense to it, but I shouldn't. I shouldn't take it that serious. And usually people like that, the ones that talk the most shit are the ones that are doing the least shit in this business?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Well, you know Charlamage always says nobody cares about the truth and the lives more entertaining. But when when you allow it and you crash out about it and it shows people you bother you, people gonna keep attacking that same.
Speaker 4: Thing over and over and over again. I mean, and you allow them to do it. I don't know why I'm doing anything. You're a perfect example of that, because you fucking with me.
Speaker 1: Now I'm not I'm asking, like, I'm not joking.
Speaker 4: I don't trust I do not trust your face. You don't but I don't, But I'm asking. I don't trust you. Why you could go eight episodes and answer the question why motherfuckers it's a whole. It's counted you put down and ross, breakfast up, everything starts off but a god damn joke.
Speaker 1: So I don't trust you and I have my guards up.
Speaker 3: Are you really gonna do therapy?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Is that a real thing?
Speaker 5: I think I possibly might need therapy because just in life you have some like things you need to figure out, or because the way like you're not like you don't like the responses you're getting to your comedy relationship that I have.
Speaker 1: With certain people.
Speaker 3: Okay, but I know you know you part of it. To me, you came up and you know each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you brought this baby like you're part of the joke. Like it's not like we just crack on you. You crack on us.
Speaker 3: Well everything I know, a.
Speaker 2: Boy, the end of this, this conversation is going to be a real estate joke. I know that real estate joke.
Speaker 1: Some one. You don't do real estate, you've been see. I'm just that's not a joke.
Speaker 3: That's you real estate.
Speaker 4: Do you still follow certain people? It's not a real estate joke. It's real. You don't do real estate. Okay, I didn't know. It's not as promoted as it used to be.
Speaker 1: See, that's not a joke. But I know I'm gonna get that from you.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't It doesn't bother me.
Speaker 4: It doesn't affect me because maybe with two different people envy why you turn around because I just not. I just don't feel comfortable this situation.
Speaker 1: That's why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what's next for you when it comes to to comedy, Because it seems like.
Speaker 1: You're forming this city winery in New York this weekend.
Speaker 2: It seems like you're always trying to prove yourself.
Speaker 4: I'm not trying to prove myself. That's next for me in comedy. Another thing is next for me. I have this thing that I do called donelle Land and it's something similar to what you do in regard to providing something for the community. I do this five Days and Yellow Springs, Ohio, which consists of a lot of activities for the family with the canoeing, kayaking, sound bath, nature walk of Sunday Funday, celebrity kickball game, streets versus the creeks, and then it comes to a climax on Monday, Memorial Day, Monday with the river Run that We've had at least four hundred people participating in that and that's happening again this year and that's the weekend of Memorial Day.
Speaker 1: That's what Donnelle's doing. I love that.
Speaker 4: So with Dave Chapelle, your close friend, Yeah, what does he tell you when you go through a lot of the stuff that you go through, Because I mean, you put out a special and I thought the special was Hilary. You tell me don't engage, but you do so you don't listen to your friend, that's filthy rich, that's been doing it.
Speaker 1: I don't listen to a lot of people.
Speaker 4: And that's why a lot of situations I get in, Because so many situations I've been in, it could have been like, why did you respond that? I don't care how anybody want, anybody want to say. It's the hardest thing to do is not to respond to negativity. And part of I know whenever I sit down and talk to therapists, the first thing they're going to do is tell me, Donielle, don't read the comments, to which I'm going to read each and every one of those comments.
Speaker 3: You also be in the comments too.
Speaker 4: You in the comments too, But every other page I go, no, every other yes, I didn't say that. I just I'm not calling. I'm just telling you. Social media exact the same wouldn't be like but like you for the tweets, You're for the tweets.
Speaker 2: But it's hard. But there's so many comedians. There's so many comedians like you. Look at Gary Owen, shut up, get in trouble. You look at Ryan Davis, You look at all these comedians that want Netflix specials that Netflix hasn't offered them anything. And you got a Netflix special, you're working on another one. So you're blessed beyond belief. You're you're doing comedy in front of hundreds of thousands of people. So you to the opportunities that most don't. But I feel like you're always trying to prove yourself. But I understand why, because you're funny at shit, Like you know, you know I come and support you, Right, It's just I'm coming this weekend.
Speaker 1: I didn't invite you.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you give me tickets.
Speaker 4: You're just gonna barge in, all right, I know I could tell I hear you in the lobby.
Speaker 1: No it's not.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you a lot of things that I engage and I shouldn't engage in. And that's part of me. That's part of me trying to find some growth, and that's part of me. I like, I really do think that I probably could use or benefit from having a therapist or talk to a therapists, and it's something I had to deal with it until then, I'll continue to be funny. But I'll tell you one thing that anytime I have an incident, what it does to me for my fight back is that it makes me more creative. It makes me want to go on stage and just destroy room, and it makes me want to produce something funny. Even the incident that you're talking about with Jeff Ross and I made a song about it. The only way I could deal with it is to try to bring some human and really pushes me to be more creative and get in my production mode.
Speaker 1: That's what I do. That's why I fight.
Speaker 3: Why did you want to make a song?
Speaker 4: Because I was tired of explaining what happened that day and the song was lost control. I lost control that day. I lost control when I had drinks with Teddy and I was like, that's a funny way to dress instead of me really express how I feel, like, fuck the motherfuckers. I don't give a fuck by And I said, why don't I try to make it funny and spin it and I'll take control of the narrative when I do stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Next question, now, what about your drinking? It has your drinking and an issue and a problem.
Speaker 4: No, I've never been dropped problem. Why are you looking at me in my face like that?
Speaker 2: I mean it might have been an incident before what you're drinking. And every time there's a situation. It seems like alcohol is also involved.
Speaker 1: And when is that usually? When do these instances happen? Drinking hours? What does happened?
Speaker 4: Drinking hours mean? That doesn't mean that. I mean, I'm saying I could see if I was coming out of church fucked up. You don't see that.
Speaker 2: But if you're drunk, and every every time it happens when you're drunk, that might be an issue.
Speaker 4: I don't also drunk. I would just say inebriated or slightly like feeling nice.
Speaker 1: And I've had some incidents and what it happens and.
Speaker 3: Be with incident?
Speaker 2: Are you referring to I'm not because I'm not going to put that man's stuff out there. He knows what I'm talking about. I just want to make sure my brother is okay. And my brother it's a couple of them.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about? I don't remember that.
Speaker 2: See, that's the one I was talking about talk about.
Speaker 5: I googled Donel Rollins. The second article that came up is from Y'allhoo Entertainment and done. Rollins says he had a great time at ty parties. I swear to God everything Look at this. Look look second article that came up. What Donelle Rolins drinking?
Speaker 2: Or is that the time he drove up the wrong side the street?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no, okay, you drove up that was part of that was part of a joke.
Speaker 1: That was part of the joke. I don't know what joke that was. That was part of the joke. That's a picture y'all made viral.
Speaker 4: There was a picture that picture of me on this y'all, and I say, I don't know what did he put in that vodka. It feel like I had a full head of hair on that yacht. It felt like I was a black fabio. That's what it was, all right.
Speaker 3: Next question, who wrote the song? He wrote?
Speaker 4: I did, ok yeah, I thought it was something funny he was. But you know, I can't really play it because copyright situation. But you know that's what I do. You got to be able to turn limits and elimonade and don't let people. Don't let stuff like keep you down or fuck you up, and I move forward. The only thing I'll just put it like that in any situation, if you make me mad, it's gonna make me go hard on stage, no matter what anybody want to say about me.
Speaker 1: The thoughts of me.
Speaker 4: I'll just say I invite any of those people, any of the naysayers, or any people have questions about how as a stand up, I'll say, come to my show and challenge you to go one on one, toe to toe with anybody, anybody in the business.
Speaker 1: I have no problem with that.
Speaker 5: Not No.
Speaker 2: Another challenge was, at one time your child's mother, how has that worked out? Have y'all worked everything out?
Speaker 1: Can you get.
Speaker 2: Down down on knap? Can you just spit out his water? Please, don't worry, he just get an ast, you just get a knack. And I promise was that challenge? Did y'all fix that? Of y'all on the same according Now, one time you and your your child's mother was not seeing out of eye on things.
Speaker 4: I mean, when you're not with the person that at one point you was in love with and you and it didn't work out like you want. I mean, uh, people want to have a health relationship. But it's kind of tough because it's always emotions of all and all it comes down to, like how you feel, how do you say this? We're good, but it's gonna be some trials and tribulations with that.
Speaker 2: You have to look back at that and say I was the problem highest me, the the.
Speaker 1: What I look at it, I look at all the time. I take accountability.
Speaker 4: You know, it's easy for say, when you hear situations about like Coprah and just like this.
Speaker 1: It's easy. It's it's two sides of every story.
Speaker 4: And I do believe that part of the reason that we're not together in uh living situation is because I probably, I'm pretty sure I contribute to it. But you know that was in the past, and the most important thing right now is to raise our son to be the best human we possibly can do. At the end of the day, I'll take account and be like, I'm not a perfect motherfucker. I'm not any of that.
Speaker 2: Would you change anything?
Speaker 1: Would you?
Speaker 4: Would you sit look back and say I should have did this differently, or I should have did this with the rest with her, Yes, no, I think she should have stayed the funk off my phone.
Speaker 3: What did she find when she went?
Speaker 1: I worry about that. I'm just saying, leave my motherfucker phone. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Your phone is over there over here, you pay the bill over there, I pay the bill over here. Hey man, A relationship, I'm the perfect motherfucker. If you mind your business. They stay at my phone. The deable is in the phone.
Speaker 2: How think you? What did you find in the phone and how the phone was it locked?
Speaker 1: Uh uh, I don't know you you asked that question. Say they got ways of doing ship. I don't know. Motherfucker might have opened my eyeball or something. I don't know what the fuck.
Speaker 3: She's younger than she might have just watched him into the past.
Speaker 4: And remember, it's God's way of saying, down there, you're not living correctly, and it's for parts of my life.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't live correctly. But that's Donelle.
Speaker 2: That's what you live correctly.
Speaker 1: Now, that's a bunch of second. Yes, I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to have a real You say you don't have a real conversation, So I'm not joking you. I'm just having a real conversation.
Speaker 5: You be low key stressed? What about the like the parental situation?
Speaker 3: Sometimes?
Speaker 1: No, I don't, I don't, I don't. I don't be stressed about that.
Speaker 4: I don't be stressed because what I try to eliminate, I try to do. This is what I believe. When you were in a coparative situation. A lot of guys like this, well, I'm going to take care of my responsibility, and they think that their responsibility.
Speaker 1: Is just taking care of that kid. I don't agree with that.
Speaker 4: I think, really, if you want a healthy relationship for your kid and the mother, I think it's important to try to do everything to make her happy physically, mentally, and financially too. So I do all those things to try to have that relationship as healthy as possible. Because if the mother of your child it's mentally unstable, whatever that could affect your kids. So I do everything in my power to make sure that she's good and she's happy. Okay, I respect that.
Speaker 2: You really not to talk about because I can't make We're not making jokes. I want to take I want to take this as serious as possible down now. I don't want you to think that anytime you come up here, we just coming to pay the ship on you a joke or booo or not something like that. I like, I really take you serious as a friend, and you know I want you to be succeed and I want you to win.
Speaker 1: Why does this feel so fucking weird?
Speaker 2: You know why?
Speaker 1: It feels weird.
Speaker 4: Congratulations though, Oh what on your podcasts and everything that you do?
Speaker 2: Congratulations of course. I be let me ask you a question. What advice would you give Lauren and Jess? You know you've done radio for a.
Speaker 1: Long what advice I would give them? You've done radio with me. I thought about this and I.
Speaker 3: Just you called me that day, answer the phone. I feel like it's ship that day.
Speaker 4: I know, you know what. This is how I feel. And I thought about this even when I came up here Envy. I was like, we've had a lot of opportunity to be funny and everything like that. I was like, am I always gonna be funny? But this is what I think. I think with Lauren and Jess, you have to allow them to be lawn and Jess. Lawn is not Jess, you know, I think so, And we're like, I've been on the blogs and I've been listening out here. People say, well, Jess is not a journalist whatever, But you guys didn't hire her to be a journalist. And the thing that people don't understand is like yet, and I thought it was a very funny benchmark with her with a social one of the funniest things that just did was just with the mess. I love that that showed her comedic thing and it was always a spin on news and satire, you know what I'm saying. So now there's not going to be a comparison. If you look at a person that's trained to be a journalist whatever, it's going to be an obvious distance, obvious difference between. But you gotta let Jess be just and you to be you. And this is the story that I look at that that really bothers me on if people taking size of it, you have two black women that came no insult whatever from nothing, you know, from nothing that they came from the mutt. You know what I'm saying. They positioned themself. So we should be celebrating that and be proud of it. We shouldn't be put them together as far as and I remember when you was on TMZ, when I first had an opportunity to actually talk to you. I appreciate how you used to hold me down on that show. When Harvard them used to try to go sideways whatever, You always defended me. I remember just some years ago, maybe seven eight years ago, when she probably had fifteen or twenty thousand followers on Instagram and she's sending my DM and asked me an honest question about comedy, like what do I need to do? I said, I can't tell you anything to do. I said, but what you got to do is go on stage and everything you need to know about comedy, it'll happen. And like people, this is the thing just had to her all the tools to make herself successful and be self made. And most of these mouffles that talk shit, and I know this kind of hard for people in social media, sayppen, Oh, they came from social media, they came from YouTube. But even to get to the point where she is, you have to have some type of work ethics. You have to have some type of discipline. It's not like you post one video and that's gonna happen. And I've seen her go the same way I saw Kevin Hart when he first started doing Twitter with twenty thousand followers.
Speaker 1: He stuck to it. She stuck to her thing.
Speaker 4: So you can't hold it against it, hold against her the way she got on. I think it's unfair to try to put them together. And I think that they can co exist in the same thing if both of them do their lanes and do what they're supposed to do. I'm proud of watching both of them. I consider both of them my friends.
Speaker 3: That's what you called me to say. Ain't that day I.
Speaker 1: Called you to say something you didn't have to hear from me. I didn't call the talk shit.
Speaker 2: Because I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 5: I was like, I don't feel like no more jokes. Me and comedians just ain't happy it ain't going well.
Speaker 4: No, because I know this is people say. We all are opportunists. We all try to position ourselves to win. You know what I'm saying, how you're gonna get mad at a person. I remember when you first started doing this and you wasn't talking about I'm gonna be an on air personality. You was talking about, oh man, we're gonna we're gonna make it even tighter. Because I used to say to myself, the show is sometimes it's all over the place, but I know what your experience are producing.
Speaker 1: I was like, that's part of something that they need.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that it was going to turn into situation where you get it. You get as much time, but you deserve and of everything that you got on this show, not even without this show, you already had the trajectory to be successful. And how can somebody be mad like because a person like come in here, guess what they like me. I'm doing a good job. I want to continue that. It wasn't no shade. I can understand just feelings on that side of it, and especially when you say situation like okay, I suggested that this person being there's no cattiness whatever. I see a strong black woman that wants to do something, and if I can help her in any way, I want to do that. But I can understand coming back and feel like a situation is supposed to be another way, it don't happen. I could see the discomfort and the misunderstanding on both sides. But again I think they can coexist. She gets to be herself and Jess gets to be herself. That's it.
Speaker 3: That's so positive.
Speaker 4: I'm not a negative person like I really support Like I called Jess when it happened, I called you, and I called her.
Speaker 1: She answered the phone and this is what I mean.
Speaker 4: I know you not really, it's not too much of a can to conversation. And I told her, I said, I can understand how you feel and I could hear in her voice she was upset.
Speaker 1: She didn't want to hear no jokes whatever.
Speaker 4: I said, Just most importantly thing, whatever you do, when you respond, it's so hard to not let your emotions take over the live. Her emotions were taken over. I said, whatever you do, do it in a funny way. However you respond, do it in the funny way. I said, if people upset with you, whatever, remind them while you're here. And you're here because you're a funny person, So continue to do that. Don't you see people that come out and they have they go on these media runs and they talk about everybody. So many comedians now go on these platforms. They don't even want to be funny no more.
Speaker 2: Well you know why, right, What I told people the other day is they get paid for the outland of stuff that they say they get paid for. Before you did an interview and you sit outland of the stuff, you didn't get paid for it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But now if I say something crazy and it's on YouTube, and it's on TikTok, and it's on Instagram or ax so whatever these platform it is, and I get a million views, I get paid off of that. No, it comes in addition, now I want to say more stuff.
Speaker 1: That's why.
Speaker 4: It's like it's meteors. You become a media hoore and you become a clickbait hord. It's so easy. And people, a lot of commedians now they don't care about being funny anymore. They just want to be controversial. If you look at most tags, at most clickblak, it's so and so destroys, claps back and everything. Because you get excited about those clicks, you can go up there. You can try to be positive as you want, as funny as you want sometime, but that's not going to move to doubt.
Speaker 1: It's unfortunate.
Speaker 4: When I first started, we go way back and way way back in radio, where you had to be successful, you had to be likable. Now, motherfuckers win by being hated because it's all about the end of the day. It's all about engagement. It's not about oh I like him, I supported my father. It's just like what's going to click. So if you get a click on something negative or positive, it's still a clique and people are run with that. I have a situation with a comic right now that it goes back and forth. You know, what I'm saying anytime, huh, you can say his name.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's unfortunately the reason I'm gonna tell.
Speaker 4: You, why do you and Corey Hookm have such a this is the thing problem, This is the thing with that. And I've said this on platforms, and what it is is like he has an audience that tune into him.
Speaker 1: He does.
Speaker 4: He has a podcast where pretty much nobody on the show has an opinion that it's always going to be signing with his thoughts. And we had an incident it's documented, not an incident that he started, but the incident I did where I got triggered at the comic club. I yelled out at him, you know what I mean, Like didn't like some of the things he was saying.
Speaker 2: Said you started it or did he started it first?
Speaker 4: Well, you could say I started that part of it, but I think the conversation was started and I do. It's crazy people like oh you and Dave Chappelle's dick and all that type shit. He's one of my closest friends, you know what I'm saying. It's not he's one of my mother fucking closest friends. Like in Yellow Spring, we lived two miles away from Joe. It's my brother.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? We don't we did.
Speaker 4: We weren't just coworkers like we've been. We was fucking at Charlie mur Murph Murphy's funeral, you know what I'm saying. We've been at weddings, We've been visiting people in the hospital together. Like there's a there's a it's like sense of loyalty there, right, and everybody wants to Everybody wants to fucking paint this picture. Donelle is riding Dave's dick. You know what I'm saying. If it wasn't for Dave and all that, and that get to my motherfucking nerve because I know before that show, I had a resume. After that show, I had a resume. It just so happened that I was a breakout performer on what people are calling one of the greatest shows in the history of television.
Speaker 1: Facts.
Speaker 4: Motherfuckers want me to repeat history. I can't do that. There's never gonna be another Chappelle show. Even after the Chappelle Show, you know, people's like, oh, y'all gonna do it would have been the most foolish thing for me and Charlie to say we want to do a sketch show, and someone says something about even after when Chappelle decided that he wasn't being part of that show no more, me and Charlie Murphy hosted the lost episodes. We didn't host those episodes with the intent we're gonna take this show over. They had an archive of sketches. They were trying to figure out what the fuck they was gonna do with these sketches. They hadn't communicated to nobody. I didn't know where the motherfucker was, hadn't spoke to him. And when I look back on certain things I did in my career, it might not have been the when I look about it in retrospect, it might not have been the best decision. But in that moment, I'm like, like this, this is a great show. Right now, nobody's going to be like this, We're the new Chappelle. And even when Me and Charlie came out and mister Hooker said something about that, he said, oh, these motherfuckers hosted the show. That's why I fuck DC Young Fly Fly because DC Young Fly told them no. DC Young Fly told them no to continuing the show as the new host, and DC young Fly could fucking do that because the core of Wilding Out was Chico Bean Carlos. So he don't have to do wilding Out because he got eighty five South.
Speaker 1: He has that.
Speaker 4: Even when me and Charlie did that, we came out first thing Charlie says and it was a joke or I don't feel comfortable doing this. I was like, speak for yourself. I need all the camera time I can get. That's the reality of it. I've had a conversation about Dave and I apologize Todave Dave about it. I was like, I didn't think about it like that. I said, but one thing, Dave, had you called me right Yoded, I'm not fucking with this network. I'm not fucking with them. I would have never done it. So what do you do. You got to make decision on what you're gonna do that's going to continue to help your joint and try to be as respectful about it as possible. After when he left, we never wrote another sketch. We never Me and Charlie had a pilot. It was called Charlie Versus Donhille and it was a reality show that Comedy Central pastor and they had nothing to do with Sketch. It was me and him battling each other. Big Tigger was a co host of that. Whatever we thought we had an opportunity to do that. But what Comedy Central didn't understand is that me and Charlie Murphy, if you want to say, became stars of that show. They was waiting for Dave to come back, so they didn't think that me and him could pull off. That didn't happen. We never revisited that. I never did a sketch show. I never tried to do anything past that, and I showed him the respect for that. But I tell you, I tell you what pisses me off. And anybody can understand when you put so much work into something and for people to try to assassinate your character and say you're something other than what the fuck you are, And for all of these motherfuckers, this is what I feel. I don't want to fight you on no fucking podcast. I don't want to be more controversial. If you want to do fight me on anything, let's go on the fucking stage. Let's go to the stage. For all the motherfuckers that want to say he's whacked, he's mild and so and so and I put this out there, let's go on a fucking stage and let the people decide that. And I guarantee you it ain't gonna get the fucking results you want. You could tell a motherfucker that motherfucker's whacked at the thirty plus years performing, not just on a chitling circuit five six continents, and oh you with Dave. Guess what I am with Dave? When I do shows, I ain't Dave's open. I don't open for nobody, big dogs, Kevin Hart, Chris Rock, Dave. I ain't gonna never open for.
Speaker 1: You, know.
Speaker 4: So if you want to do it, stop talking your shit and let's go on to stage, and I guarantee you you gonna fucking feel it. And I'm not a one trick pony. I'm not just for the Black Ondings. I'm from everywhere. And as much as mother ones say, oh he's on Dave Dick, this is the best feeling I have when I tour, and I got video of it, I can show you nobody expects me to be on the show with Dave.
Speaker 1: He don't never promote my name, he don't need me to. He can sell out any venue in the world. Twenty five thirty thousand people.
Speaker 4: DJ Trauma will say, you've seen him on HBO's The Wire, you see them on the Corner, you see them on be A Meth. I might get some clop claps, but you fell in love with him. It's as she learned to Chappelle's show, and every fucking venue for five years, a whole arena goes ape shit that only gonna last me two minutes on stage. But guess what, as it go ape shit where they know I'm there. When I get off stage, guess what, they fucking stand up again. Because I put the work in and people know me for that. I'm not gonna apologize because I made some characters that did some shit that people remember, and it's only bitter motherfuckers that talk that shit. What have you done?
Speaker 1: And I continue, I can continue to do it. I've been on BMF.
Speaker 4: I did this. I continue to work. Other fucker say, oh, you ain't made it. I'm just addressing ship I've heard on podcasts.
Speaker 3: You know, oh, because I told you.
Speaker 4: For the most part. And then here's the thing. This is the thing about it. This is going to be fuel for him to go and say stupid shit again.
Speaker 1: But I just I'm not a but but I do.
Speaker 4: I do have to ask you said if you started it right? You said you started it. No, I didn't say I started. You said you started. From your remark, I'd say even that reaction is reactions. If he go at you first, you can't be you know what, God damn, it's hard for me. I'm trying to be accountable for my actions. But I got to say what triggered me?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: When I just keep hearing this, and it's closest friend of mine, when I keep hearing this, it's just interesting me. The notion that you would go to a comedy club with one hundred and fifty people on a workout night and be critical of someone that's doing the numbers, someone that's fucking got all the accolades, that Grammys, any eemies you want to go. That's like going to a practice facility and watch a nigga practice and saying, oh, that wasn't that good.
Speaker 1: What happens at game time? Motherfucker?
Speaker 4: For you to even put it on the universe that somebody's booty or boo boo or whatever in the practice facility, go to an arena, go to a theater, go to not just at certain point, guess what, you ain't gonna be the funniest motherfucker. I think now Dave has done it so long, so much, people don't really even look at him just to be hearty, hard hard. They look at him for his perspective. They're looking for his point of view, his thoughts is bigger, and that he's he's turned into that Dick Gregory ship, you know what I'm saying, where like I don't want to say activists, but it's more than just a less you know what I'm saying. So that's why I did took offense to that. And I said, even when an accident happened, I said, you know what, I probably broke the unwritten rule. You're not supposed to yell out at a comedian on you on stage.
Speaker 1: For that, I'm guilty.
Speaker 2: So he was taking a shot at Dave, and you like, Daves my brother. I'm arived from my.
Speaker 1: Brother, yeah, well pretty much, but not even just my brother it is.
Speaker 2: But you know why can't well, I guess you and Courey, I mean, trying to work this out many times, but you know, I feel like.
Speaker 1: And the thing about the NBA.
Speaker 2: You're successful, he's successful, right, you have two different audience. It's two different cause I don't understand why it continues.
Speaker 4: On don't again. That goes to like when you have a platform and you know what's gonna you know, even with the roast bad things, a person couldn't wait to take an opportunity to say this guy's booty and he he doesn't support uh young comics. And I said something because it was a quote from that thing was like, and I think I was misunder steward or I might have misspoke when somebody said something much special, I said, I made that show. What I meant to say was I helped make that show what it was and took.
Speaker 1: Dad was like, motherfucker, you didn't. You haven't even made it.
Speaker 4: And I begged differ that do I got the fucking bank that Kevin Hartney's motherfuckers do, or the movies or anything. But for somebody that no college education, not formally trained on anything other than the military, to be able to position myself where I could do fucking seven figures using by God given talent in some areas people think that you made it. I don't answer to anybody I worked for myself and that's it.
Speaker 2: Well downa, you didn't make it. I don't know if you realize that you came from the military to what you've done, what you've accomplished. I mean, people don't know if you really do your history of me and Donell did radio together. We did a more show together. Yeah, Lost Time on ninety seven with Miss Jones. It was me, Miss Jones, uh and Donna Rolins and we did a morning show together. And you know, we've seen you go from there to where you are, so you have made it. And you know, we joke with you a lot up here, and you know we clown you. You clown us, but we are proud of you, and we, you know, think you wanted the funniest. I don't support many people. I don't come out to do shows for many people, but I come out and I support you because I really do think you funny.
Speaker 4: But and then it not and I appreciate that, but it's not that it's like like I have a history of that. And like even when Mike Gifts was up here, but Mike I said, Donelle too old to be getting boot the translation for me it was like Donille's too funny to get booed. We came from the same place and it's and I'm not saying that it has never happened, but after a while, you get a certain amount of experience that you know how to handle different situations. And for anybody here, like he got booted, the first question people asked was like, wait a minute, that doesn't sound right.
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 4: And yes, they bow me, but it was like it wasn't a boot like I told a joking it was whack cause like he was, they was instructed by the host of the show.
Speaker 5: But it was a lack of respecting And that's what I meant by you was too old for it, because I felt like again to your career and watching you on those stages like of Radio, City Music or whatever, I just felt like, I don't know, like like nbcaid earlier, like they was playing with you a little bit, and no one knows where you are would do that. And for me, one of my questions for you would be why even be in that space where something like that would even be allowed.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you why. I will tell you the alcohol.
Speaker 3: The alcohol is what made you go there.
Speaker 4: No, in that Rose Battle, don't what made me go to that roast battle. As I was there, I was hanging with Teddy Swims and I watched him on Adam Carolla. He has a show called Doctor Phil where he tours and he doesn't impression Doctor Field and he acts like it's it's the actual Doctor Field show.
Speaker 1: I want to support Telly on that.
Speaker 4: And one of his buddies was on the panel to be on a rose Battle and we was hanging out. He was like, Yo, do you want to go up to the Rose Battle. I went up there and I took everybody know in a business that I don't go to the road stuff because I could be sensible, I could be upset. And it was one thing led to another. It just was an awkward situation and got out of hand. But at the same time I didn't feel good about it. But one thing what I said to those comics, if you look at it, it was true. And I even told him at the end of it, I said, I hope you are so mad at me that it makes you want to step the game up just to say fuck him. I know I can do it. It wasn't no.
Speaker 1: If I've supported so.
Speaker 4: Many young comics, I've gave opportunities anybody, and even even to you. And like certain people I come around if I feel that they like have funny energy. I don't think everybody could be funny, but I'll say, you know what, you should try it. I told her, I think you have the personality do it.
Speaker 1: She's not doing.
Speaker 3: It's not ever happening.
Speaker 4: Now it might not happen, but you know, I was been one hundred percent supportive. Even I told her, I said, you come into my show. She didn't show up because she thought I might put on stage. But to that, and then I noticed interview. When people come and see me or they watched, they like, oh god, he's going to cut up whatever. But it's something to be said about letting somebody err it out and their gripes and their grievances.
Speaker 1: And to that, I say, fuck them.
Speaker 2: All right. Well, you're gonna be at the City Winery in New York. Watch twenty eighth, Indiana, April fourth and fifth, Tennessee, Buffalo and Florida. So next hour you want to stay a little bit. Charlemagne is not here. We have Ryan Davis.
Speaker 1: Next hour.
Speaker 2: Would you like to sitting there and do some of these questions with us? Especially coming from a comedian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't have a problem with that.
Speaker 3: Show your socks.
Speaker 1: It's a good yellow socks. A pop called a pop called a pop. Yeah, I could do it.
Speaker 5: Wait, you did that real fast? You hold on, slow down? You know you're too old to be moving that fast too.
Speaker 1: Why do you like to use that word?
Speaker 4: Shoot, I'm sorry, goddamn interrupt they called me then interrupter. All that's an interrupter. I will say more important And I came up here what I want. I did want to talk about, uh my performance at at the City Winery. But again Memorial Day weekend. There's something this is going into the fifth year. It's something that I started, Like when we were doing the outdoor shows with Dave. He would focus on the comedy and I was focus on the camp atmosphere having the fun. Something that I created five years ago. It's dope. Go to donnaill Rawlins dot com and get more information about Donnelle land. I'm going to try to make this the black Disneyland for people.
Speaker 2: Okay, and hopefully I can come out there with my kids one time. They will love it. All Right, Well, there you have it. It's Donelle Rawlins it's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Good morning, wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club