Speaker 1: The views and opinions expressed by our podcast guests are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views or positions of the Washington Commanders or any of their representatives.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the.
Speaker 3: Command Center Podcast.
Speaker 4: I'm Logan Paulson here with the distinguished Settleman, Fred Smoot and Santana Moss. Guy, it's so good to be back talking about some football. There's a little bit of drama in Commander's land today. Mike Clay from ESPN put out his receiver rankings yesterday and Washington was eleven. Drum row, How do you guys feel about that?
Speaker 2: I'm sick to my stomach.
Speaker 3: Okay, tell me about a better room than it.
Speaker 5: It's a better room. One like I judge a room by how many threats do you have? Okay, well we have legitly like people forgetting that Diami Brown is the fourth receiver on this team like this says a lot. I think Curtis Samny is a guy to tell the truth. Hasn't riched his ceiling yet. So at the end of the day, especially with us yeah yeah, and Johann Dotson, it's one of them guys could easily be a number one on the team.
Speaker 2: All right, so we got a one A in a one B.
Speaker 5: I think the one thing that these guys suffer from is why I didn't play wide receive in the first dayn place. You have to depend on the quarterback. Without the quarterback, they will not rank you high.
Speaker 6: And trust me, I was one of those guys. When I saw it, I was sitting there thinking hard. I'm like, we easily a top five corps, you know what I mean, those group of guys. Any team in this leader right now would take all three of our guys and they can be starters on someone else's team. But I understand and just what you know Fred alluded to is it's all about the quarterback. And that's one of the reasons why as a player, as a receiver, folks us always asking me before the season, one, are your goals?
Speaker 2: My goals is to be ready because.
Speaker 6: I can't go out here and say I want to go for a thousand yards unless the quarterback allowed me to be that kind of player, you know what I mean. So I never tried to sell myself with these goals and these highestpirations, these dreams of being the best receiving the league, being a guy that go out there one thousand hours every year. What I've all always done, knowing that the court, knowing that my play dictated, you know, solely from the quarterback position, is just made sure that I was ready for whatever it may come my way. And also that means not getting the ball a lot that Terry had to go through up and down throughout these years.
Speaker 2: So I think we have a better court than they've giving us. But it solely, you know, lies on our quarterback hands.
Speaker 4: So let me just ask you this. So this is the list, Cincinnati, Seattle, Miami, Philly, Dallas, Arizona, the Chargers, Tampa, Bay, Vegas, Minnesota, Washington. Of those teams, if we have a better receiver group than eleven, who you taking out and where you slatting us in that group?
Speaker 5: That Minnesota has to go down?
Speaker 3: Okay, time out.
Speaker 5: They got justin Jefferson, they got a top three wide receiving this.
Speaker 4: Way it ends in and then Jordan Addison is a first round We don't know who he is.
Speaker 2: Hold up, my.
Speaker 4: Guys, So last couple of years, these first round RD receivers are coming in just straight bald, right, And I think Tanna can speak to this probably better than most. They are a more polished product coming out of college because that's red right. So is there a sir, is there a world where he's grading in the seventies by PFF and then that would put him ahead of with.
Speaker 5: What I'm saying is he's not better than Johanna Dodson. We know that right now, We know that as we speak, because I'm gonna always put your number one against your number one like Terry mclowan, Jordan Jefferson. They got us right there, and by inch, our number two it's better than their number two, and that number three surpasses their number three.
Speaker 6: Osborne, I bet on our number one is our number two is only number two because our number.
Speaker 2: One has done so much? Yes, but our.
Speaker 6: Number one two can easily be a number one this team alone.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you this based on system.
Speaker 4: Right, scheme system is that that scheming Minnesota is very receiver friendly. It's the same system that Kyle RAN's for the one and two receivers. They got a lot of touches. Right, do you think Addison will be better more productive than hn Dodson? I know, okay, I'm not talking to you.
Speaker 2: I know you're not.
Speaker 6: Who do you think I haven't seen what we're gonna do with eb yet, so it's hard for me. It's hard for me to gauge that now and say, well, this office is gonna allow Dawson get off, you know what I mean. I do believe with that offense that he's over there. I'm gonna give him ANR right now. So I'll get bad.
Speaker 2: It's in the NAR right now because I don't know what we're gonna do offense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I think that offense is pretty sure. But okay, so I think it's close. I think Minnesota's close. You can bump down. There are the other teams on this I got two Teamslet's see if you guys get to the same ones that I think.
Speaker 5: Arizona shouldn't should not be ahead of this team. I love the receivers they have in Arizona, but when I put them up to our guys, I think our guys our step better in Dallas. Doesn't see thee Lamb. He's a number one, but he's a number one.
Speaker 2: That's a slot receiver.
Speaker 5: He's also a guy that doesn't create a lot of separation, like when he catches balls. By all his balls are contested, right, So at the end of the day, you're gonna add Brandon Cook, who I've like. Brandon Cook has managed to get a thousand yards no matter who his quarterback is.
Speaker 2: But Brandon Cook.
Speaker 6: He's not He's not gonna run intermediate short routes. He's going to burn you. He's going to stretch the field, and he's a tough suck cin of a gun. He's going to catch the ball and no matter who's out, definitely, you know, put put some on them. So that's what I give Brandon Cooks. But when you look at this list, uh, to me, if you had to take our receiver corps and put them in any one of those those group of teams, I think they would kill They will ball out. So when I look at the list, the only team, the only team, I probably would you know, question and saying that I as Arizona. I think Arizona don't have enough guys collectively that I would.
Speaker 2: Say that, you know, they should be in front of us.
Speaker 4: You know, I think the one thing there is they got DeAndre Hopkins, and DeAndre Hopkins.
Speaker 3: Had a tough year last year.
Speaker 2: Suspect you don't I played with him, and besides him, I don't see nobody.
Speaker 4: I was he as a team I mean he's as a teammate. I think you see's a good guy as a teammate. Not the hardest worker in the world, but just a good, good, competitive son of a gun and one of the best.
Speaker 3: His superpowers catch the football, like the.
Speaker 4: Way he catches the football hands and they're huge hands, and he's Contell said he's tough, but not very productive. Last year, Marquis Brown, the guy from Baltimore.
Speaker 2: He's up and down, up and down. Right.
Speaker 4: And then the guy they drafted Rondell Moore a couple of years ago, the four to two guy. They don't know how to use him yet, So I would I would say for sure above Arizona right. And I'm glad you mentioned Dallas, right because the Brandon Cooks. The question I have for you is, does Brandon Cooks elevate CD LAMB because of the space He's an I don't.
Speaker 2: Think so like.
Speaker 5: I don't think Brandon like put like this is a coordinator. I'm not going into a game worrying about Brandon Cooks. I'm just telling you that, like if I go in and I gotta check, I gotta in. My job is to stop the Cowboys. I'm gonna stop Ceedee Lamb first. You don't have a tight end, all right, So therefore Ceedee Lamb first.
Speaker 4: And I think people get a forget about Gallup, what about Michael gal comes up?
Speaker 6: So Gallup and Cooks to me, are the Gallup, Gallup and Cooks both.
Speaker 2: Speed is their main threat. But I will say this about Cooks.
Speaker 6: He's a he's a veteran, so he knows how to go out there and be a pro. You know, how to put itself in the right position, right spot to catch those make those plays galloped. I think he's still a little raw. He's still a raw with have come. I watched his routes. I watch how he you know, and then last year, you know, he came off of injury. So I can't really you know, put a lot on that, you know, knowing that he was injured. But you know, I just want to go back to what Fred said about not worrying about cook. I won't say I won't know. You have to worry about him because can stretch the feel That's what I'm saying. He's going to open up things for those guys because he can stretch the field.
Speaker 2: If you sit there and say forget Cook. He's going he's going for six, He's forget him. But my you don't have to game up around him. You don't have to put you Cook.
Speaker 4: So to me, what I see with Cooks is a guy that makes you defend the field horizontally in a way that you know when you watch Kansas City when tyber Hill was there, you have made the field more open.
Speaker 3: And then you said Ceedee Lamb's a slot receiver.
Speaker 4: You get a ninety PFF grade out of CD Lamb this year because there's more space because of Cooks.
Speaker 5: I don't I think it's a big scheme of things. I just don't think like he's not gonna run us oute of man to man, like I only judge why I receive. Who runs us, who makes us, who makes my coordinator change what we're doing, Like Brendan Cook is not gonna make us Like I'm still gonna check.
Speaker 2: Ceedee Lamb the same exact way man under.
Speaker 5: I watched everybody play the Cowboys last year because that couldn't run because of him coming out of their injury.
Speaker 2: Everybody played them two men under.
Speaker 5: So Cook never got separation. Well now that I mean, I'm not cook I mean, ceedee lamb.
Speaker 2: So now and Cook to that? Does that run me out of two men?
Speaker 3: I mean he's a four to three guy.
Speaker 2: He's still running guy. He is. But people I just said, don't get court slipping with him. That's what I say. You know, I'm one of those guys.
Speaker 6: Don't think this because he's now, he's up in those years and he might not be the guy he was a couple of years ago. I still I still think he can get behind the defense, and that's one of the reason why daughters went out there.
Speaker 4: So I would say that those are the three teams. I would say Washington is probably above because I think when you look at the Chargers, when you look at Tempa Bay, when you look at Vegas, Philly, Miami, Seattle, Cincinnati, I think those groups are pretty dynamic groups.
Speaker 2: A lot of those groups who have a lot of them a lot.
Speaker 5: Because you're a married man in Brandon Cooks has divorced. More quarterback, I'm shocking at stability.
Speaker 2: Ain't your things?
Speaker 4: Well? The fact that he can move scheme diagnostic, I think is important with a quarterback like Dak Prescott. But again, I think so those three teams, you guys agree, Xota, Arizona, Dallas our teams, so.
Speaker 2: At least seven, at least at least seven eight. Yeah, we should be around.
Speaker 4: There because I don't think I think the Chargers again, they got Mike Williams, keenan All and those guys are awesome. Yeah, Tampa Bay Mike Evans. I don't think you jumped Chris Godwin either, He's outstanding. Vegas had a sneaky addition this offseason, Tampa with Jacoby Myers, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, number one sneaky.
Speaker 4: So again, like I'm not sure they jumped. Maybe they're in that group. I don't know if they jumped that.
Speaker 2: We still got to be proved.
Speaker 6: I mean, like I said, for a lot of those names stick out, and then you look at it.
Speaker 2: You got quarterbacks and receivers.
Speaker 3: That's the great point.
Speaker 6: So that's when I look at that page and like when you're talking about a core and you talk about their quarterback, that made that court just that much, you know, more more potent. So unless we really go out there and play with our guys and see what we got, we can't really talk of being you know, being above.
Speaker 3: Some of the defense. A great point, right, like if you don't have the quarterback, Like it's hard to know.
Speaker 5: Like I always tell why, I I'm going to burn you. No, you're not not, not with Nathan Peterman.
Speaker 2: Throw you too. You don't got a chance with me.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: So you know, Mikelay's gonna come out with some new list. He hasn't come out with these yet, but I'll ask you guys. Right, So obviously we got a pretty good defensive line room here. Where would Jane, where would you rank that group? Where would you rank that group? So I got so I got some teams here right that I think would compete with Washington in terms of you know, the Eagles, the Eagles, San Francisco, the Jets, and Dallas were the names that.
Speaker 5: I came up with them the only ones, Like, there's no other rooms that can compete with that, Like.
Speaker 2: Dallas, I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: It is high because they have two edge guys.
Speaker 5: They got two edge guys, but the interior it's missing and that's why they drafted Mazi. Like but the Philadelphia Eagles out of the room, that intrigues me because they they also have two babies inside Jordan Davis and they drafted uh Carded this year. Our guys are proving I got it proven our first round picks, uh, and what really does it for me?
Speaker 2: With our room? We ain't seen the best of our edges haven't seen it. We haven't seen the best.
Speaker 6: And that's why I would say we at least top three. And that's the reason why I only I won't I won't go as far as one because we haven't seen us be as potent collected we want to be. I mean, we show we saw flashes year and year. You get a player here, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 6: Sweat has been consistent for the most part. He still haven't got up there and double showed us that year. Yeah, but I think still with Sweat haven't shown us his best. And having Young just really getting back to health we were, we won't really know what we have until all those guys playing together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I think Young's health is a big deal. It's the biggest thing, right because definitively, if he comes out and is that guy that he was a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: We need a disruptor.
Speaker 6: We need a guy that what those two guys doing the inside on the edge, they just but I'm just saying far as just our our Allen and Payne.
Speaker 2: You know you you rarely see that.
Speaker 6: And when you saw that with Aaron Donald, like, man, this guy just tearing up the inside of everybody's offensive line and it got to the point to where you can put anybody outside. But we have two of the best outside that what I'm saying, we can just see all four of those guys play together for one year.
Speaker 2: The top sell.
Speaker 5: Inside built like this was Tampa Bay with one Sap and book, all right, and it allowed the edge Russians to never get double team right.
Speaker 2: So now think about this.
Speaker 5: You can't double team inside, you can't double team outside, so you you're gonna be forced to leave people in the chip. Running back to the chip changes changes, they can change how you run. Plays like you cannot leave and let everybody go out because if we need to protect first, And that's why I think this line.
Speaker 2: Think about this.
Speaker 5: If I told you forty sacks from your start, and for y'all'll be like this normal, right, you get forty sacks from this guy, but forty sex is a lot of days.
Speaker 2: Like that's ten a piece for these guys I think they can do.
Speaker 6: But what I would say is, with all that being said, you can have the best guys up front, but when your secondary, we we're gonna We're gonna still.
Speaker 2: Get the ball off.
Speaker 6: We're gonna get So that's why it's so vital for us to make sure second the go get secondary is now you got to play into our will power, and our will power is getting getting you up front. How many times last year you saw Sweat almost getting there, he got that in the ball just got off and they made a play down field. But now if you got all those guys up front, and you got your guys in the secondary, those guys in the back end locking their guys up that quarterback and hold on that ball for that one more second eye for now us to get that side.
Speaker 2: On this defense right now.
Speaker 5: I ain't backpelling now, son, I'm sitting flat foody, and you're gonna have to run past as I had.
Speaker 3: A question for you. So obviously I think Payne and Allen are top eight? Do you interior? Where did the edge guys rank? You know, are they?
Speaker 4: I know Monte is pretty close to being top ten. I would say where's Chase sat and that because we just talked about that's the thing that's going to take him over the hump, right So what do you need to see from them to get I.
Speaker 5: Think I think Chase is the one that is so much damn upside, Like we ain't seeing the best of Chase, Like even we haven't seen the best Wine. Back to his rookie year, the last five games of the season, he had combined five sacks, two forces, fumbles, touchdown. This guy makes things happen. He makes things happen. So at the end of the day, was he worth the second pick?
Speaker 3: Hell?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's that type of dude. He's Bruce Smith is all right.
Speaker 5: Now the focus is is he focused on being that?
Speaker 2: What do the hell Chase wants to be?
Speaker 5: And that's the key and he will never have it better than he has here, meaning you'll never get more one on one then you're gonna.
Speaker 2: Get with this the line. So this is the time to show who he is.
Speaker 5: So I think Chase is the one we're waiting on to see who he is.
Speaker 2: Is he the alpha of these affas?
Speaker 6: I think he's easily man. And I'm just saying this without him having that injury. And I think the injury was one of those wake up calls, you know, to me, like that second that second year was going so bad. I don't think he even realized how bad it was going, you know what I mean. So the injury on top of it having a bad year, now you got to really wake up, Like now I was playing bad, and now I'm hurt, and I got to overcome playing bad being being more sound, technique sound, and then now I got to get back to that health that had me playing freely. So now you're gonna get a different kind of player. You're gonna get a player that said, okay, I even saw last year and flashes. You got a player there now like he's you can tell he's studying what I need to do, not so much of just taking going out there and athletically dominating. You know, I was one of those receivers. I talk about this openly all the time. I didn't have to look at my opponent. I was gonna beat you every time. I was gonna beat you until I got that third knee injury, I mean knee surgery. I said, oh boy, let me go and watch this dude here and see what what age can I take? You know what I mean. But what that did also was it helped me watch the defense as a whole.
Speaker 2: I care less about cover two, Cover one.
Speaker 6: I used to read that half of my field, whatever side of the field I was on, I read that half. I said, Okay, I got cloud, or I got one, or I got three. I got something where either if one is on, I'm gonna beat my guy to beat my guy. So now you get a guy and Chase that he has to go through these measures to be that person that he was year one and it's gonna make him that much better and being the Chase that he's now.
Speaker 2: He's home because they didn't they didn't pick up his year. He wanted.
Speaker 6: He out to prove something, just like when he came in. He's got to prove some. You finna get it. You're finna get that predator. You're finna get that guy that's gonna go out there that every week, your your that opponent gonna be like, I understand these other guys are great, but man, I don't want to see him, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And he's gonna he's gonna pick up everybody else game.
Speaker 6: You're gonna see sweat get more sex this year just because of what Chase is going to do this year.
Speaker 2: Everybody's gonna run the sweatside.
Speaker 3: So I'll say this, so I think we could agreed top five group.
Speaker 4: Top five comes out potentially be number one. Let's talk about running backs real quick. We got Brian Robinson, Antonio Gibson. Where do they rank in terms of running backs? I got some names for you here. Just have other good running back groups, Green Bay Packers, Right, They've got aj Dillon and Jones Johns out in San Francisco, Miami, They've got a track team down there in the backfield? Cleveland, Seattle and Philly? Are are they other ones that kind of stuck out to meet Swift with two headed monsters back there?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 4: Where where does Washington's backfield rank? And you know, like what what can we expect from a healthy Brian?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: Top fifteen of the variety. I love the differences in the running backs. Brian Robinson is different from Gibby. I think Gibby is Finn Show, and I mean Gibby and Antonio Gibson is about to show people who he really is. In Eric b Enemy's offense, He's an X Y receiver that's playing running back, and I think people forget that at the end of the day, he can do anything. He's a three down back, and I think he is the diamond in.
Speaker 2: The rough out of this group.
Speaker 5: Like I love Rodriguez cause he just put my head down and it's me and you.
Speaker 2: It's me and you and we're fin the swap paint. I'm fine with that. But at the end of the day, I think the most.
Speaker 3: The difference maker has to be in the past game, I think, and I.
Speaker 5: Think that's why Gibson comes to Gibbson, he becomes something different than most of the He's different than everybody on our page right now.
Speaker 6: I think I think having having Antonio Gibson and being a part of this aeric being in me offense really gives us another dynamic on the offensive side. We talk about those receivers, We talk about that tighten, you know, tight end group we have, especially if Logan Thomas come back to for for health, he can be a dominant tight end again and we talk about it. We talk about our running back field and these guys just being great runners, but a g with the ball in his hand.
Speaker 2: Last year he showed signs of that.
Speaker 6: And man, when we talked to coach a couple of weeks ago and we was asking, he was like, we was all expecting that that that quick twitch, pick up running back, but they didn't do so because they knew what they had in a g And he can be that.
Speaker 2: He can be that.
Speaker 6: Last year, he can be that we want him to be a bruiser, and he's not a bruiser.
Speaker 2: He mas you time and time again.
Speaker 6: He's been showing us time and time again that I'm not going to run a guy over unless you make me mad, because he has the bite type. But he's a guy that can do whatever he wants to do in his offense. Now, you know what I mean. He can be a guy that they say we're gonna motion him outside. He's gonna kill any linebacker, any any rover, any nickel guy you put on him, because he's that type of guy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I think it's interesting that both offensive position groups we talked about receivers and running backs. It all goes back to you be really right and what he's gonna do with these guys, how you's going to magnify skill sets.
Speaker 3: I think that's really interesting.
Speaker 4: So the last group we're going to talk about it, I think this is interesting because you've already kind of alluded to them. Is the defensive back group. Where do they rank nationally in your opinion?
Speaker 3: Right? And what can we expect from this year?
Speaker 2: Miami got a high group, especially with them trading for Jalen coordon Natals.
Speaker 5: Like if you want to look for defensive backfields, look for defensive line.
Speaker 2: Like I'm sorry, like we are have I not been saying that we are married?
Speaker 6: Like I said, you can put my son back there, both of them, my thirteen year old and my twenty three year old son, and.
Speaker 2: We're not a liquid experience. If you put them behind chasing all them boys, it's a different you know what I'm saying. Different.
Speaker 5: So with Saint Jews, I mean with Jewics, you got this. He's a nolafier. He's not a in acceptor.
Speaker 2: He'll stay between the quarterback and the football and the wide receiver.
Speaker 3: You think you can learn that though, I mean, now, you don't.
Speaker 2: Learn to catch the ball when you make it to the league either. You came with it? Are you not like it? Well? Because they got to shriff. He had to shaff either.
Speaker 5: He will make a player occasionally, but he's not looking to do that.
Speaker 2: He's not looking to do it.
Speaker 5: Like this is how you cornerbacks you divide us X y receivers in x running backs no cornerback.
Speaker 4: But we know we actually I know, but no way, Benjamin Vegam said, you just didn't play running back.
Speaker 3: It's like sixty three like no, no, he.
Speaker 2: Is considered of the running back class.
Speaker 5: Of the cornerbacks, he's considered a running back right, well, me, skinny guys, guys that look like wide receivers play like wide receivers. We are the wide receiver group. He may you were falls falls in that group like Funller falls in that group. So these this is how you divide the cornerback position. So I think we got a good group because the front is so damn good like so it don't matter.
Speaker 2: Like I told you, if I was playing.
Speaker 5: Right now, I would never backpn like I told I would sit there in the corner.
Speaker 2: Was going to have to rep ass me.
Speaker 5: But I will bet that my guy's gonna make it to the quarterback before I have.
Speaker 6: That's why I bothered me a lot watching these guys from the past few years, because I didn't understand why we didn't put a lot of more bump and run, you know from the you know, play a lot of bumper ruff from the outside, like you don't even have to really go out there and be physical, you know, just get in their way if you get in my weight like that was. You know when we played teams, and I say this all the time, teams got in my way more than they stopped me. They just put a guy in front of me and say we're gonna slow them down from getting off the line.
Speaker 2: And then now it's gonna be hard for the quarterback.
Speaker 6: The quarterback coming off me now because he knows I don't because the D line is you know, up my behind.
Speaker 2: So you know, we need to do more of that now.
Speaker 6: Having more guys back the now, having the depth, now, having you know, the talent, you know, we we have everything now when it comes to those guys up front and those guys in the back end, especially even that safety.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. We have the guys.
Speaker 6: So I want to see us do that more because I've even told Juice, I'm like, Bro, you was on AJ Green and you backed off and gave him the easiest touchdown I've ever seen, and man and playing football football went on, Bro, you was just a staying in front of him that would have been hard and cut route he couldn't have rent it, but you backed off and gave it to him and gave him respect.
Speaker 4: So I want to ask you this, so like in this example of Tennis talking about like you've got to defend multiple route concepts, right, So you know, like one of the things that I always go back to is like people say, oh, we got a pressman, pressman, press man, But I always I've always heard they're playing awfull as you to intercept the football better, right because you can see the quarterback right, So like where is the mix there? And I know you don't want to be doing the same thing all the time, right, But this is what.
Speaker 5: I love from press man. PRIs Man simplifies the route tree. The route tree becomes defined.
Speaker 2: Is PRIs man, you finished slant?
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 2: Finn?
Speaker 5: Fade me up once I go into PRIs Man, because the route tree go, it's shrinks.
Speaker 3: You have conversions.
Speaker 2: You have to convert to convert your routes.
Speaker 5: And so now like when I go to play off, now I got to check the whole route tree. Like now the only weapon I have is a cornerback is down in distance.
Speaker 6: That's gonna tell me just to give fred Just to clarify what Fred's saying. If I have a post corner on the outside, and if Fred off me, I'm running that post corner. Traditionally, I'm gonna I'm taking him up the field at team, I'm gonna cut. I'm cutting to the post. Then I'm out to the corner. But if he pressed me, now I changed my whole route. And depending on what they planning the back end, it could be I can change that route all the way. So if now I still have man coverage, if he pressing me, I gotta release inside and not even give him that they cut press Now, I got to just get to my corner. But now if they gotta, they gotta safety over the top. I can't go high because I say that's gonna get the ball. I gotta come flat. So you have to adjust off of the coverage and depending on one of the things I loved about seeing some of the best dbats play, they always knew where they have their help and where they don't. DeAngelo Hall was so good at knowing when he had help. That dude was so smart. That's why he jumped everything. Man, he knew he had to safety over top of him. Do not play with thee Hall he jumping it. He's going he's gonna be talking to your mom in the stands. He gonna hold the ball up and show you your boy. He was domb for throwing the ball at me. So that's what I want to see us do more. Nowhere your help is at And if you know you got a guy off the top, come on, I'm pressing you know why, because I don't have to worry about you beating me. Now, if I don't have that help, I would back off a little bit and play more coverage out of it.
Speaker 4: How much flexibility do you have to make that decision or is it defensive? Is it a defensive call?
Speaker 2: Well? Well, I was one of the people. I used to press and cover three.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting cover three?
Speaker 2: My coaches I always said, like I had two ways of cover three.
Speaker 4: Cover three for those listening is you're dividing the back end of the field in the third space.
Speaker 2: And I have to play three D.
Speaker 5: But most people would if I had to play off and code three, I would play off and code three.
Speaker 2: Walking down, I would literally I'm headed, I can see you doing it.
Speaker 5: I want to change what the quarterback thinks I'm doing.
Speaker 2: And so at the end of the day.
Speaker 5: How you playing Jedi mind tricks with the wide receiver in the corner and a quarterback. And I think that's what the older corners learn.
Speaker 2: As you get into the NFL. The game inside, the game needs to be played.
Speaker 6: I used to always get to the line of scrimmage and I used to I look at the safety first. I'm like, okay, let me see if I see that that shell, that shell, that's that cover two shell, and then that lets me know, okay, okay, I can do my regular route. You know, But when then if you got a dB and my homeboy and he played defensive back, I play defensive back growing up, and he's always I used to ask him questions in high school, like what are you trying to do? He said, I'm trying to disguise my look every time. If I know I got press, I'm coming from deep. If I know I got it off, I'm coming from press. So I want you at the line of scrimmers to think have to make that decision at the snap of the ball instead of than having your mind made up. So if I have to make you make that decision that snap of the ball, now you're in between. You can't just tear off on me. You see what I'm saying. So I used to look for that to see who's gonna make me think, who's gonna make me? I'm always looking at the safety, So the safety is always gonna tell me if he's on that hash that far hands over there by me?
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean that close hash. Okay, we got some kind of shell, some kind of show, you know, one of the safeties.
Speaker 3: You guys were telling you guys something I need you to tell me something.
Speaker 2: You need to dress back.
Speaker 4: Julie has been on me about what I'm wearing on the show all yeh. So you guys have any fashion advice for me?
Speaker 2: Yes? What should like?
Speaker 3: What should be thinking about?
Speaker 2: You got to stop going to burlingin.
Speaker 5: You gotta stop going to these places.
Speaker 2: You got to stop sending your wife to get you these shirts.
Speaker 3: Go shopping all the time. Man, I have been shopping probably in ten years.
Speaker 2: That's the problem.
Speaker 5: That's the serious problem with you.
Speaker 2: You don't care.
Speaker 5: We all run into guys like that old I get right now as the oldest man.
Speaker 2: I don't care, Like, what's the different?
Speaker 3: You got like a little button up T shirt on this nice.
Speaker 2: Neat and you come in here looking. You got the shirt that Rudy wold. This is nice.
Speaker 5: It's not.
Speaker 6: It's not a guy like yourself who don't really care about all that stuff. You can still get something simple. Like when I was younger, I tried to I had to go get designer, I had to have the nicest colors.
Speaker 2: I still do that now, but it's simple. I simplified.
Speaker 6: I get enough polos, enough sweaters.
Speaker 2: That's my swang. It's not simple.
Speaker 3: He's got these nice as shoes on, he's got these.
Speaker 2: Enough, and like, you got it enough. But this is basical to me.
Speaker 3: These pants are new, I think, Actually, no, they're not.
Speaker 5: Like you don't care like you walk in like you do not your shoes that's in there right now, a lot of people.
Speaker 2: In the build and walk them out of the building. Like I'm just saying, like you don't actually care.
Speaker 3: What you're saying is you need to care more. You need to care more about what.
Speaker 6: You get your pair of Air Force one, get your get your get you a couple of.
Speaker 2: Pair of jeans. Look, get you a couple of pair of jeans and get a bunch of polos. You're good. That's that's your drove right now.
Speaker 3: Julie, what do you think is that? Good? Thumbs up?
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, listen, listen, but we only tell you this because we care about it.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it and that'll that'll do it for today though, all right, So I appreciate the advice. And if you want more fashion advice, tune in. Probably not to this show, but if you're more football advice, definitely right. Be sure to rate and subscribe wherever you get your podcast. We've got some amazing stuff this week on The Commander's YouTube page. Every Monday, Julie has a one on one interview with a player, and this week it's Brian Robinson. Wednesday is Command Center and Fred you get fired up. I'm always fired always fired up.
Speaker 3: What are you fired up? This week?
Speaker 2: About? Everything?
Speaker 4: And then on Tuesday, Tanner Thursday, excuse me, you have Tennas Tate, we're.
Speaker 6: Gonna talk about Tanna Tays. But we're talking about Tanna moving the chains, all right, moving.
Speaker 4: The chan and Friday I live in the comments. And so every day we have something for you to listen to, so make sure you check it out