Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Zaren YoY Elizabeth listen here. Yeah, you know what's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: What's that you love animals? I do.
Speaker 3: That's not ridiculous. The part that's ridiculous is I was thinking about you because you've been looking for pets recently and going.
Speaker 2: Online, although sometimes I'm kind of looking for I see, yeah, definitely a dog.
Speaker 3: I've heard you talking to the intern so like, and then the dogs look at you and they go, oh, you should get a cat. Yeah, guys, that's messed up. Yeah. So I was looking at some just online stories and I found one about a bird that was being offered. But you're a little late. There are about four hundred people ahead of you in line for this bird. The bird was put up by the Niagara SPCA, and apparently it's an Amazon parrot, really a really beautiful white fronted Amazon parrot. Yeah, but apparently the parrot was known for saying things like you want me to kick your rack? So this was a foul mouth, white fronted Amazon parrot which was known to be able to do like thirty forty different sounds. And uh, the SBCA are trying to give this pad away. They've been putting a posts on Facebook, right, so one of them is like quote on the bride side. If you want to keep unannounced company from dropping in, adopt pepper. They'll think twice after being cussed out by your new foul mouth feather friend.
Speaker 2: It's incredible.
Speaker 3: Give us a call if you want to add a spicy pepper to your life. Somebody get this guy a bar of soap or a humor loving home. So people they start as old you four hundred people, I want the bird.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: One person's like my grandma's eighty one years old, swears all the time, she needs company. This would be great for her. So there you go. I'm going to get you a cursing parrot.
Speaker 2: We should get a cursing parrot for headquarters.
Speaker 3: Totally in a poop flinging monkey.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's just for me, that's for you. That's good. H Do you know what else is ridiculous?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: What do you got for me?
Speaker 2: Dealing things? Especially valor?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: This is a ridiculous crime A podcast about absurd and outrageous capers, heists, and cons. It's always ninety nine percent murder free and one hundred percent ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Damn right.
Speaker 2: I like to consider myself a pacifist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do. I consider you a pacifist.
Speaker 2: What's the exception of my violent language?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, you have very violent languages.
Speaker 2: And my belief that I would be the perfect person to be command in the scandals, like just ordering deaths, not caring executing heads of state for the republic. But so I consider myself a pacifist, but I do support our military very much.
Speaker 3: Well, these are different things and for some people's capacities, Like you could be a personal pacifist, but agreement with the military. Some people are pacifists up and down the line, right right.
Speaker 2: I mean, we do have the most incredible fighting force in the world. I've heard that just the logistics of what they can pull off in a very short period of is mind blowing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really impest.
Speaker 2: And then you know there's that sacrifice, the risk that members of the armed forces take on. Oh I definitely you got the psychological damage as well as the physical. And that's why active duty and veterans deserve respect.
Speaker 3: Even if I don't agree with something that they were asked to do, I still support them fully exactly.
Speaker 2: And yeah, so whether or not. You agree, they earn respect, they earn deference. But what happens when you get folks with no integrity and a desire for respect and deference a lot of things. But I want to talk to you today about stolen valor my people. And it's not stolen valure.
Speaker 3: Oh not my people. I thought you met stolen like valure suits tracksuits.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, I really I should learn to speak. So these are military impostors who lie about being in the service, or they lie about the extent of their service for financial gain. Oh boo, Yeah, they say, the guys who were in it don't talk about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, generally speaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I found that to be true unless we.
Speaker 3: Speak with each other.
Speaker 2: That's when they do, right. The ones who crow about their service and like tilt tales of daring do and like missions in combat and like bragging about it. Yeah, they generally never saw anything, generally bes artists.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in the US, there's actually a federal law against stolen valor. So you can get fined or even do time if you misrepresent your service, particularly if you say that you were the recipient of a medal or like a badge or other honor.
Speaker 3: And is the qualifying part that makes a criminal that you are receiving money or goods.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have like the fraud with intent to get money or.
Speaker 3: So it's essentially a type of fraud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or like a tangible benefit.
Speaker 3: Oh benefit, like prep prioritized housing.
Speaker 2: The guy exactly, the guy who sits at the end of the bar regaling other barflies with like tales of his time in country, isn't really breaking the law until someone buys him drink and things, and then he is Yeah, I would suppose so technically.
Speaker 3: Okay, because he's getting something again stolen valor.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of military impostors, and I want to tell you about some some who are just plain ridiculous, But there have also been really high profile military impostors.
Speaker 3: I used to be a military and postor. You know some people with military reenactors. I used to pretend that I was in the Civil War and go to military reenactor places and just wearing like the wrong costume and just be like what. I'm like, I'm the guy who stole the costume in the Civil War. You need them too, I'm just trying to get out of here. I'm the guy who's lying to get out of war. It's part of war. Just like this guy. I'm not allowed in two states.
Speaker 2: Now, let me tell you about a classic military impostor none other than l. Ron Hubbard, science really science fiction author and founder of Scientology would be so the like quote unquote Church of Scientology. They say that Hubbard was a quote much decorated war hero who commanded a corvette and during hostilities was crippled and wounded.
Speaker 3: Now you mean the ship and not the car.
Speaker 2: The car exactly so that. They also say that he served in quote all five theaters of World War two, which is mind blowing sane, and that he was awarded quote twenty one medals in pot service.
Speaker 3: What are all five? I'm going over my head in Europe, Africa, Asia Pacific. The Asia Pacific is one, and then I got the eastern front of Russia. I guess I imagine, but Russia, Poland, you know, right space? Or is it is Europe brooking into Western East?
Speaker 2: It could be?
Speaker 3: Is it just one theater?
Speaker 2: Europe, Africa, Pacific?
Speaker 3: All right, I'm running into you. Gotta what Arctic there was like battles up.
Speaker 2: At the I'm going to reach out and tell us, Yeah, I want to know is the other one like South America Space. Okay, so he said they won twenty one medals.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, according to the scientologists, he was quote severely wounded and was taken crippled and blocked to a military hospital, where he quote worked his way back to fitness, strength, and full perception in less than two years, using only what he knew and could determine about man and his relationship to the universe. Wait, what, yeah, the Tom Cruise of it all. So was el Ron in the military? Yes?
Speaker 5: Was he was?
Speaker 2: He was in the he was in the service. Was he a Tom Cruise esque super soldier? No, not on your life. So according to the experts.
Speaker 3: He didn't even say anybody, which.
Speaker 2: Means official Navy service records. Sure, his military performance was at times quote substandard.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 2: He did get some campaign medals, but he was never injured.
Speaker 3: That just means you were a place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, never wounded. He didn't get the purple heart that he said he did.
Speaker 3: Oh if he wasn't wounded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most of his military service was spent on US soil in the lower forty eighth in administrative work or training.
Speaker 3: Do he defended Nebraska?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: He he briefly commanded two anti submarine vessels. But he did that in coastal waters off of Massachusetts, Oregon in California. Well, I don't remember forty two, forty three.
Speaker 3: I don't remember Massachusetts being sunk by any submarine.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So in June of forty two, he gets command of a patrol boat at the Boston Navy Yard. But he lost that post like really quickly because the Navy made this determination that he was quote not temperamentally fitted for independent command.
Speaker 3: Oh, can't let him take the boat out by himself.
Speaker 2: No, forty three, they give him command of a submarine chaser. He was in leadership of that for only five hours when he was like, I detected an enemy submarine.
Speaker 3: Off of five hours to lunch.
Speaker 2: So then he and the crew spent the next sixty eight hours engaged in quote combat.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, almost three full days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they came up empty. The Navy investigated. They figured out that he had mistaken a quote known magnetic deposit for an enemy sub anomenally eight hours chasing.
Speaker 3: Around this magnetic segment.
Speaker 2: So the next month he unwittingly fired upon Mexican territory, and then he was relieved of command. So that's all. As to like his crippling in battle in June of nineteen forty two, Navy records show that he was suffering from quote active conjunctiviis end quote pink basically ureath thraw discharges. So he had pink eye and a leap. Yeah. After his brief run as a wayward subchaser, he started getting sick a lot. He complained that he had ulcers, malaria, back pain. So in July, for yeah, he was like, so he gets checked into the San die Go Naval Hospital for observation. He lays up there for months.
Speaker 3: I got the sleep fever and like.
Speaker 2: While like, by laying in the hospital bed, he avoids a lot of heat from his commanding officers because they come in. He's like, so he faked his record in order to get ahead and lend himself an air of credibility. But that's like his whole career, right whatever, As it is known, he has said to many people. He said to many people over the years, quote, you don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion. That's so, I mean that tracks with his whole career.
Speaker 3: So he wanted to get rich.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what you're telling you. Yeah, you want to know who else was a military impostor actor? Brian Denahey, what yah? He enlisted in the Marines in nineteen fifty eight and he served until nineteen sixty three, and one of his posts involved playing football on Okinawa.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding now, I'm not kidding you, big square guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, after he reached fame as an actor, his breakthrough role as Sheriff Will Teasel in First Blood.
Speaker 3: Uh huh nineteen eighty two, Sylvester.
Speaker 2: Saloons John Rambo, he starts talking about his military service in interviews, but he's not like, oh, I played football in Okinawa. He told interviewers that he served in Vietnam and that he was wounded in combat. So remember he gets out of the Marines in sixty three. Gulf of Tonkin is sixty four, Like he could have been one of those advisors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they were, yeah.
Speaker 2: The other military as.
Speaker 3: Military advisors.
Speaker 2: So you could like, maybe I'll give him the benefit of that. But in nineteen ninety nine he issued an apology quote, I lied about serving in Vietnam, and I'm sorry. I did not mean to take away from the actions and the sacrifices of the ones who really did serve there. I did steal valor. That was very wrong of me. There is no excuse for that. Good for him for after that? Like is it a sort of survivor's guilt that makes men and create these narratives for themselves and get swept up in it? Like maybe they don't want to state outright that they missed out on the fire because that would be embarrassing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they also just want to like it's it's I mean, I don't know how to best put it, but basically it's like a test of being a man's man, right if you didn't get that opportunity, A lot of guys would just fudge it because they can't stand the fact that they didn't ever do it. I mean I never joined the military. I often sometimes even now year decades later ago, I wonder would have been like if I did, if I'd have been much more called onto the carpet of being a man's man all the time. I think it probably would have stung ab come hanging around a lot of guys who are I mean, John Wayne used to get all sorts of crap from John Ford, the film director, because he didn't really serve right, and John forbe was like active in the war. So they used to used to make all of the guys who were on Western heroes who were real veterans. Yeah, they all made fun of John Wayne. Seeing Charles Derning from bessel Horrause in Texas, he plays the governor Texas. He's one of the most decorated heroes of World War Two and he's an actor. I would have loved to I've seen him give Dennie some pretty sure that they were in sant circle.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, here's another one for you. You mentioned a military impostor here to me before I did. Yeah, the dread Joseph McCarthy. Oh yeah, hophead and US senator from Wisconsin who destroyed the Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 2: He said that he was in thirty two aerial missions in World War two. Uh huh, qualified for a Distinguished Flying Cross as well as an Air Medal. Said he was injured in battle, messed up his leg. He also had a letter of commendations signed by his commanding officer in chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Chester Nimits. Yes, Chester Nimmits, here's the truth. He did in fact join the Marines in forty two, and a lot of this you covered, but i'll repeat it. So he served as an intelligence briefing officer for a dive bomber squadron. He volunteered to fly twelve missions as a gunner observer.
Speaker 3: Intelligence briefing means he points at the map in the mornings and says, here's where you guys go a little bit. I'll be here when you get.
Speaker 2: Back, sitting at this desk. The missions that he did fly as a gunner observer were pretty safe. That wasn't an active combat dropping food after the well after one where they let him shoot as much ammunition as he wanted to, like mainly at coconut trees. He was given that name Tailgunner Joe, and the medals that he got. He used his political influence to pressure the Marines ten years after he joined to get the awards. The letter from Nimetz, you know, McCarthy signed, wrote it himself.
Speaker 3: He wrote the letter writes.
Speaker 2: And here sign this, and then like so then Nimet sees that the commander's name is on its sign and he's like, you know, just whatever, that's what he's using.
Speaker 3: And he's also signing a bunch of other letters right of accommodations. It's kind of like just in thes.
Speaker 2: They've been pre approved. Yeah, those war wounds. He had a messed up leg, not because of a plane crash or anti aircraft fire like he said. He broke his leg during the crossing of the Equator celebration.
Speaker 3: Like the turtle celebration.
Speaker 6: Yeah, shell back now, yeah, he breaks it partying while wearing like a hula skirt and a war wound exactly, And so that's why people got like it would crack themselves up, calling him tail gunner.
Speaker 2: Joe. Let me give you one more famous military impossible. Ferdinand marcos No, the one who was President of the Philippines from sixty five. So while he was campaigning, he said he was quote the most decorated war hero of the Philippines. Well, how so he's like, I earned thirty three war medals, including the Distinguished Service Cross in the Medal of Honor, he's like telling everyone he led a gorilla force of nine thousand men.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, he did fight in World War two w W two, and he did get a couple of awards. He got the Gold Cross and the Distinguished Service star. But both of those are contested. Oh yeah, and the Gorilla Force leadership is total No, that's made up. Yeah, he told that lie, not just for increased esteem and respect. He busted out the stolen valor because he told people all this stuff in order to get reparations in back pay. What Yeah, so straight up fraud. Amelda needed choes. It was straight up fraud. So those are Those are a few famous military imposters.
Speaker 3: What about your nine thousand person army that you let They all died.
Speaker 2: They all died. I was amazing to survive it.
Speaker 3: We want our last battle.
Speaker 2: They all died. Those guys are ridiculous. But I have a couple of seriously audacious ones for you, ones who faked it until they made it and did so in absolutely ridiculous ways. Let's take a break for ads, and then I'm going to unleash these beasts.
Speaker 3: I'm going to reset for audacity.
Speaker 2: Dude, you are going to love this story I have for you. You and I we get a lot of giggles out of the eighties mercenary super soldier thing. Yes, we do, like Arnold and Commando Rambo first Blood and because there's like always sort of a martial arts component. The hero has training from the mysterious East. Yes, always, and they're not specific, it's just vaguely Asian. So martial arts can be really beneficial, like health.
Speaker 3: Wise, especially for kids.
Speaker 2: Good balance, discipline, not like all about defending yourself in a dark alley, but it imparts the confidence to face situations. He can count to ten in Korean thanks to taekwon, and he pays attention better because it is.
Speaker 3: Also cleans around house.
Speaker 2: You're saying he cleans. He's more disciplined with that because they encourage him to clean at home and help out without being asked. Yeah, and like he's spatially aware and he's just so blasted cute in his little fighting outfit. So cute anyway. You know who else felt cute in a fighting outfit? Fella by the name of Frank Dukes.
Speaker 3: Frank Dukes. Why's the name sound familiar?
Speaker 2: Du x Oh, I don't know this Dukes? Canadian guy born in nineteen fifty six in Toronto.
Speaker 3: Are we sure it's not Frank Ducks.
Speaker 2: It's Dukes. Okay, you're gonna find out.
Speaker 5: Never.
Speaker 2: His family moved to Los Angeles when he was seven, and he says he was just like a nerdy kid in North Hollywood. His dad, Yeah, his dad was from this European Jewish family fought against the Nazis. In nineteen eighty two, Dukes told the La Valley College magazine Crown that his dad would quote play games with me to expand my awareness. Sometimes he would throw things at me unexpectedly to improve my reflexes. I know if that's why he did that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, is that the story you tell yourself?
Speaker 2: His backstory?
Speaker 3: Sometimes he takes swings at me just to test my reflexes. Othertimes he verbally assault me just to test my replexes.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the training. So his legend is that he was introduced to and trained in ninjuitsu. Oh yeah, by Senzo Tiger Tanaka of the Ninja. Yeah, exactly. Ninjutsu is ninja warfare. He was basically trained to be a ninja.
Speaker 3: Totally American ninja.
Speaker 2: Guys. Here, totally ninja means one who is invisible or one who sneaks.
Speaker 3: Thank you, by the way for putting it in G I Joe terms, so I can understand. I really I appreciate the ah. Yes, like snake eyes and storm shadow go on. So as you're saying being invisible.
Speaker 2: Wait, snake eyes was in ninja, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh no ninja bad ninja.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah yeah, So Japanese in origin adopted brothers too, they were I go on, there's a loto cannon jaijojijo wiki. So Japanese ninjas are Japanese, but they're based on Chinese military strategy, you know, art of war and all that, and so there are forty eight points to a ninja's fighting technique. Stuff like how to make throwing stars out of bamboo.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I was a nine year old boy.
Speaker 2: How to make shoes that are silent, you know, then little slippers. Fighting a bunch of dudes at once, like especially when they all stand around you in a circle their turns.
Speaker 3: How to fight a number fighting.
Speaker 2: How to fight with a sword at night, Oh different.
Speaker 3: Very careful, blinding reflections.
Speaker 2: How to listen to small sounds.
Speaker 3: Like squirrels and stuff beats, yeah.
Speaker 2: Squirrels, and then like you know, the.
Speaker 3: Wind, the sound of a child laughter in the distance.
Speaker 2: Ice cream trucks. They learn little moras that keep guard dogs from barking, like things that they can repeat to guard dogs. It's like, oh, Okay, bro, okay, we're cool.
Speaker 3: I know they also learned makeup, sure they do. They carry a makeup literally, ninjas carry a makeup kit just like the grooge and everything, so they could then affect the dress of a COURTI.
Speaker 2: Is in okay, all right? Interesting, Well Frank Duke's he learned all that. Yeah, and he learned it from a quote world famous teacher who was the descendant of forty generations of warriors. Ah Senzo Tiger Tanaka. Hey, Dizzy, why is it my nickname Tiger?
Speaker 3: That's waiting for you to bring that up just the other day, Like if you give yourself a nickname, which I did with Dizzy, I think it's only fair that you be Tiger give yourself a nickname. But I want to extend it and call your nickname is Tiger Tanaka too.
Speaker 2: I'm just a dizzy and Tiger.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: So according to Tig Yeah, according to Duke's, Tiger Tanaka brought him to Masuda, Japan when he was only sixteen for ninja training. It's so correct. It's it's child trafficking. Quote we quote. We developed a kinship like no other, Duke said about Tiger. Here's what Dukes wrote in basically his his biography. He wrote, but like the third person, okay, so of course quote the best people do. When the boy reached sixteen years of age, Tanaka brought him to Japan to the legendary ninja land of Masuda. There, the boy's outstanding abilities shocked and pleased the ninja community when he tested for the right to call himself Ninja.
Speaker 3: This sounds like Ska was telling the story. It sounds like a Middle Ages tale.
Speaker 2: Brought and in the manuscript that he has, he says that Tiger was found dead on July thirtieth, nineteen seventy five, and he was buried by a group of ninjas in California. And I don't know why, but in my head, it's like guys in ninja costumes in like the San Bernardino Mountains just digging a Hole's that's the way I saw that.
Speaker 3: It's amazing, Yeah, silently, just sitting there, sweating, digging a hole.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing, though there's no record of Tiger in any historical text or from any martial arts.
Speaker 3: I've never heard the name before.
Speaker 2: There's no death record for him in California at any time during the nineteen seven, and.
Speaker 3: I used to buy ninja stars and go to Chinatown as a boy.
Speaker 2: Dukes explains this a way by saying that Tiger lived under an assumed na of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in a community you've never heard of, part of an ancient tradition of silence.
Speaker 2: Shotto Tanamora, an actual recognized ninja master. He said in an interview that he had never heard of Dukes or Tiger.
Speaker 3: I don't know either one of them.
Speaker 2: He was like, quote, there is no mister Tanaka in Japanese history of the ninja family, of.
Speaker 3: Course, yeah, and they are all known. That's one of the other things Japan great record keeping.
Speaker 2: So Tanimura said that the nickname Tiger was used by a well known master in Japan who's dead, and he said, quote, many crazy guys stand up as ninja masters, but there is Jesus ninja masters.
Speaker 3: These are common roles for the crazy.
Speaker 2: There is a Tiger Tanaka, he just exists. In fiction. Tiger Tanaka is a character a Japanese agent in the Ian Fleming novel and James Bond film You Only Live Twice.
Speaker 3: Oh, is it a girl?
Speaker 2: No, a guy, It's a guy. When asked about that, Duke said, Ian Fleming used to base his characters on real people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a super spike guy. He knows you and I don't.
Speaker 2: So he gets his ninja training course, then he goes into the Marines.
Speaker 3: Why just that's just downgrading. I mean, the man's a living ice weapon.
Speaker 2: I smell a movie coming.
Speaker 3: Claude van Dam write this day.
Speaker 2: Oh oh. He was in the Marines from nineteen seventy five to nineteen eighty one. And during this period of time, Uncle Sam sent him on secret missions.
Speaker 3: You think it's Vietnam done, Okay, I'll check out.
Speaker 2: Secret missions in Southeast Asia.
Speaker 3: Oh he went back.
Speaker 2: He's not over to the bamboo flutes like he's.
Speaker 3: Going to get the mia POWs.
Speaker 2: So while on these missions, he did a lot of stuff. He did covert stuff, stuff he can't really talk about rambo stuff. Yeah. He was described in Black Belt magazine, which.
Speaker 3: Magazine ever as being.
Speaker 2: Quote decorated for his blade fighting techniques in actual combat in Southeast Asia.
Speaker 3: You know how it goes. When you were like reading books and going to school, he was studying the blade.
Speaker 2: He was studying the blade decorated, You say, Elizabeth, yes, yes, Sensey, how decorated Elizabeth great questions, Aaron, He said he did earn a secret medal of honor for his work. Secret and there wassible. There was a secret ceremony in which it was granted him secretly. He can't tell you any more about it.
Speaker 3: It's a secret.
Speaker 2: He opened ninjutsu schools, multiple schools. Yeah, and naturally you know he did that. And in the brochures it says he's quote one of the most decorated veterans of the Southeast Asian conflict. So at his house he had newspaper clippings about himself displayed. One was an editorial called a Silent Hero from the Washington Star Washington. Yeah, little problem. That is a newspaper, but their archives have no clippings about him. And then the phony editorial quotes from a commanding officer's diary quote, we're hungry, we're tired, we're all out of AMMO. We all might go mad if not for a spunky kid named Duke for short.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It goes on to talk about Duke's crawling through a minefield to rescue an Asian baby that he later turned over to a Taoist priest.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you're right. His name is spelled Dux anyway. Okay, when this is the other part of it quote when we almost gave up, the Duke by himself charged the gun. The next thing you know, the Duke was behind the gun, cutting the enemy.
Speaker 3: To pieces, not ribbons.
Speaker 2: He must have killed a hundred at least. He turned defeat into victory. One hundred at least. I don't know.
Speaker 3: One of their greatest heroes of World War One. Weack when people would do a lot of fighting hand by him and the storm, you know, in the trenches and everything, and go into a hole. He killed twenty people and like that was over the whole night. And that was in defense of somebody else who couldn't escape and they were charging him. This guy killed one hundred people or so at least in front of witnesses at least. None of them fought to go help him, hard to anything there.
Speaker 2: And they were tired and they were out of AMMO. So so, Yes, he was in the Marine Corps from seven twenty five to eighty.
Speaker 3: One, and he is a real person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he never left the United States. In fact, he never left San Diego. The scariest thing that he did there was fall off a truck on purpose. He fell up well accidentally. His military medical file said that on January twenty second, nineteen seventy eight, he was referred for psychiatric evaluation, quote expressing flighty and disconnected ideas about his supposed intelligence work. Oh right, yeah, And then a follow up medical evaluation at a military psychiatric clinic in Long Beach. They found him fine. They're like, hey, he's all right.
Speaker 3: He's good to hold a gun.
Speaker 2: They said that his only possible intelligence work was being sort of involved in gathering information about one individual. Oh so he did something.
Speaker 3: I wonder if the military has to deal with this a lot people who are just absolutely out of their gazebo. I want to be a super spy. I want to be a super soldier.
Speaker 2: But dukes, He said, the military sabotaged his record to discredit him.
Speaker 3: Of course they did, Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: It's a very old scandal slash Michael Larson move. He claimed that the government did not know how much he knew about other covert operations, so they messed with his file to destroy his credibility. I'm not wrong, They're wrong exactly. They want you to think I'm wrong. Of course they tell you that I know too much. He said he wasn't getting the decorations he deserved, so he said that he just nagged them and bugged them. Yeah, until one day he gets a phone call telling him to go to an address in West la And he gets there and someone hands him a paper bag full of military medals.
Speaker 5: Mari.
Speaker 2: Marine Lieutenant Colonel John Shotwell.
Speaker 3: I'm picturing like a lunch bag of medals.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh yeah, so Lieutenant Colonel Shotwell in DC, he said, Duke's military file shows there is quote no indication in there anywhere that Duke's got any military awards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why would he?
Speaker 2: We got a paper it's a secret, Sarah, I forgot right. Uh. Marine Lieutenant Colonel David Tomsky was shown a photo of Duke's in uniform with his medals, and he said, a bunch of the ribbons were worn out of sequence.
Speaker 3: That's what I was about to say. We've talked about this because of scandal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tomsky said, quote, I do not believe there has ever been an instance of the medal of honor being bestowed secretly. And then one of the medals that he wore in the photo was an Army medal. Not a Marine medal, and Duke said he wasn't able to get the military to explain why he was given medals from different branches of the service.
Speaker 3: I thought that that gave out secret medals was a CIA because you can't know who their agents are. Sure, of all the government agencies, I thought they were the only one.
Speaker 2: Who really Well, maybe he was CIA. So we have this war hero trained as a ninja, of course, he said his phony master's phony last wish on his phony deathbed was that Dukes participate in something called the Kumi tem tem te. What is the km on a surface? Koumi te is the name for the part in karate training where you fight another person, basically scrimmage. But this was the Kumi te oh omega no holds barred mixed martial arts battle in which fighters faced off in sixty rounds of hand to hand combat.
Speaker 3: Did this take place on an abandoned island in the Asian Pacific, Yes, and run by a man who had claws for a hand.
Speaker 2: It's held in secret every five years.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: Dukes was apparently secretly invited to the Kumi Te Championship in Nassau, Bahamas in nineteen seventy five.
Speaker 3: Oh like entered the Dragon.
Speaker 2: Yes, so he wanted to fulfill Tiger's dying wish that he'd go there and wreck shop. And he did, and he did so he was the first Westerner to win the tournament.
Speaker 3: Oh good for him.
Speaker 2: He set world records for most consecutive knockouts fifty six, the fast just knockout three point two seconds, and the fastest punch point one two seconds point.
Speaker 3: One two seconds.
Speaker 2: That's very fa fastest.
Speaker 3: Take that, Bruce Lee one inch punch. How about this tenth of a second punch?
Speaker 2: It's amazing. All of this is to be taken with a grain of salt. Since this was a secret competition, there are really no records for it, and according to Dukes, he was the first person to be given permission to speak publicly about the Kumite.
Speaker 3: So is he trying to basically take both Bruce Lee and Jean Claude van Dam's film careers and turn them into one life for himself that thought?
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, So he won a sword as one of the prizes for being the best fighter. Man, of course you got to win other trophy. If this sounds a lot like the plot of a Jean Claude Van Dam movie. Yeah, say, for instance, Bloodspot, First Spot On.
Speaker 3: Enter the Dragon and blood Spot. You just put him together.
Speaker 2: Story the nineteen eighty eight film is based on. Is Dukes is Kumite domination?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: Jean Claude van Dam plays a guy named Frank Dukes in the movie So Sheldon Lettie he came up with the idea for blood Sport. According to him quote, I had known Frank Dukes for a number of months before I came up with the idea for blood Sport. Frank told me a lot of tall tales, most of which turned out to be but his stories about participating in this so called Kumata event sounded like a great idea for a movie. There was one guy who he introduced me to named Richard Bender, who claimed to have actually been at the Kumata event, who swore everything Frank told me was true. A few years later, this guy had a falling out with Frank and confessed to me that everything he told me about the Kumaite was a lie. Frank had coached him and what to say? Curious So anyway, Dukes obviously disputes. He says that he's the one who wrote the treatment and the screenplay of course, and he worked as the fight coordinator for blood Sport, but also the nineteen ninety film Lionheart and the nineteen ninety three film Only the Strong.
Speaker 3: Wait are you serious about.
Speaker 2: I'm dead serious. He was the fight coordinator for those films. That's true. In nineteen ninety six, he released the book The Secret Man, An American Warriors Uncensored Story, and in it he like he divulges that the CIA CIA director William Casey arranged to meet him in a bathroom.
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 2: He said that Casey recruited him to work on covert missions. One of those missions was destroying a fuel depot in Nicaragua. Another was blowing up a chemical weapons plant in Iraq.
Speaker 3: Plausible.
Speaker 2: This is after he won the Kumite. He also he used.
Speaker 3: The drafting and scouting.
Speaker 2: It was a scout.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He used the sword he won in the tournament to pay off Philip Peno pirates.
Speaker 3: Wait to say that again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he won.
Speaker 3: He took the sword he won from the to pay off Filipino Park.
Speaker 2: Apparently they were hold because like they were holding a boat full of orphans caps. I need, I don't know. This is all I have here's what Dukes had to say about it. Quote, we took up arms and fought boat pirates and we got these kids free. I'm in touch with some of them, and they love me to death. And I'll tell you, I've got one kid who's about fifteen years old. All I have to do is look cross eyed at one guy and he'll kill for me.
Speaker 3: I've got an uncle I'm convinced has a book by this guy. Probably yes, he has a bunch of these, like Richard Marsenko type. So like these guys are like I was a secret operative for the whatever, right maybe the right? Yes. Sure.
Speaker 2: A lot of big names get mentioned in the secret manu huh. And they all said that his claims are garbage.
Speaker 3: Everybody.
Speaker 2: So Robert Gates of the CIA said he never heard of Dukes, nor heard anyone else.
Speaker 3: Former head of the SUP and again that they would say disavow.
Speaker 2: He said he worked for Storm and Norman Schwartzkough. General schwartz Cough and Major General John Singlob both said no, that's not hear he didn't single called the book quote virtually a complete fabrication. But this is what they would say.
Speaker 3: Of course, we've seen the movies.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth kinglob he had his lawyer tell the publisher to recall the book. Oh Dan Yeah, Soldier of Fortune magazine pointed out ten logical magazine right. Ten logical inconsistencies in the book, stuff like saying Casey personally handled his operations and made sure no one else in the CIA even knew he existed. But at the same time he talks about getting all of these documents supporting his missions. The CIA doesn't usually comment about stuff like this, but a CIA spokesman said the book was quote sheer fantasy and that his claims were quote so preposterous that we thought it was necessary.
Speaker 3: Like it reached a level of the CIA is okay, girl, Yeah, hold my hand.
Speaker 2: Publishers Weekly said, quote it's hard to tell whether the author is merely posturing or expressing his fantasy life in a memoir that reads as if patterned on the early paperback Avenger series. So Dukes. He said in the book that his father worked for Massad before World War Two and joined the Jewish Brigade in nineteen thirty nine. Yeah, that's the problem. Massad wasn't formed until after World War Two, and the Jewish Brigade wasn't formed until way after nineteen thirty nine, so never let the truth get in the way of good story. After fighting all the dudes at the Kumite, working as a CIA asset, amassing his orphan army, he went on to open a martial arts school in Woodland Hills in North Hollywood, of course, and there he taught his own house blend martial arts style called Duke's Rue Nijitsu.
Speaker 3: Is he any j.
Speaker 2: Well, here's how he defines.
Speaker 3: His Jean Claude van dam was actually good. No, I think budging.
Speaker 2: I think he's good practice. So here's how he talks about his fighting style. Dukes Ru Ninjutsu or Duke's Ru is a style in methodology developed by Hanshi Frank Dukes geared toward the individual that allows them to progress faster, building around the person's strengths and weaknesses, and uses practical real world self defense that best works for them, thus making its foundation ninjutsu and your mind, body, and spirit the weapon. Duke's Ru allows the person to handle dynamic situations and environments, be it fighting multiple attackers, fighting in the dark in a crowd or a hallway, wet icy soft heart, or slippery ground. Therefore, the student adapts well to the situation once properly trained.
Speaker 3: So like you're taught to like how to like pick up stuff off the ground and throw it.
Speaker 2: In the eyes of your attacks. Good, sign me up. Can I be honest with you?
Speaker 5: Please?
Speaker 3: Honest?
Speaker 2: I'm terrified that Frank Duke's is going to come after me. Yeah, he still has. I feel like I'm pissing him off. And if he ever hears me telling this, I just want him to know that it's all in good fun and I respect his battle style and I'm guessing that Yeah, the government, did you dirty?
Speaker 3: Ah Ya? How about this? I am afraid of you. Frank Duke's Ninja to ninja. Let's go. Well, so no, he don't.
Speaker 2: He paired up with Jean Claude van Dam, and they co authored the nineteen ninety six film The Quest. They also apparently wrote another script together called Enter the New Dragon.
Speaker 3: Are you kidding that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: And I knew he knew about Enter the Dragon.
Speaker 2: When The Quest came out, Dukes sued Van Dam for breach of contract. Dukes said the Quest was too similar to the manuscript to Enter the Dragon. In nineteen ninety eight, Duke's lost his lawsuit. Apparently jurors found his testimony quote less than credible. No, how can that be?
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 2: One thing that Duke's told him was that audio tapes of his agreement with Van dam were destroyed in the nineteen ninety four Northridge earthquake. That's cape that feels f He appealed. The appeal was dismissed in nineteen ninety nine. I do need to say that he stands by all of his statements to this day. He has a very extensive website that addresses all of the controversies. Frank Duke's Bloodsport dot com. It's d ux Bloodsport dot com. But he holds firm on all his claims. Let's take a break. When we come back, I have the final boss of military impostors, oh man, and now my last faker, the final boss, the most ridiculous.
Speaker 3: You're kidding me.
Speaker 2: Frank Duke's was ridiculous. I don't know Frank Duke's okay.
Speaker 3: Who By the way, I'll fight you any time, son, Fredrik.
Speaker 2: No, we love you, dude. He would he would totally just my head would fly off my body.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he would beat you to death with my head.
Speaker 2: Yes percent, and it would be earned. I've earned it. Okay. So this guy, Friedrich Wilhelm Voit, Yes, this is a vintage one. He was born in eighteen forty nine in Tilsit, Prussia. That's now it was Prussia. Yeah, now it's Sovetsk, Russia. His dad was a shoemaker and he followed in his dad's footsteps. No pun intended, or at least he tried so. When he's fourteen, he did fourteen days in prison for theft, forgery and burglary. At fourteen, he also got expelled from school and his dad cut off that sweet shoemaking pipeline. Sure, it's a real shame because, like shoemaking is a true art form. He didn't write his ways he did. He did instead he forged postal orders and then he did twelve years hard labor for it. What Yeah, they were.
Speaker 3: Not fray a thing, people, We.
Speaker 2: Were not playing. So over the next three decades he spent a total of twenty five years in prison for stuff like theft, forgery, robbery. His life was terrible, and like, even though he spent most of his time in jail, when he's out he said he really wanted to just live like an honest, upright lawful life, and that just wasn't in the cards. So by the time he's fifty seven, he'd spent twenty seven of those years in the clink. He was out of prison, drifting around. He went to live with his sister in this area near Berlin. He even got a job in Berlin with like a really respected shoemaker thanks to all that early training he had, so he like hit the big time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he still knows the skills.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But then the police got wind of him in his long record and he was expelled from Berlin in nineteen oh six for being a quote undesirable. Oh so he made it look like he picked up stakes and moved to Hamburg, but he really stuck around Berlin as an unregistered resident. So here's this is the catch. Twenty two at the time, he couldn't get work because he had no papers, and he couldn't get papers because he had no work.
Speaker 3: So he's basically their equivalent of what we would consider an illegal alien.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, undocumented. He couldn't even get a passport so that he could go work abroad. So he's he's just stuck and it's not like he's he's born in Prussia, but like he's lived in what is then, you know, uh, around Berlin his entire life, whole life there. So he stole. He did piecemeal work here.
Speaker 3: In any town he tried to move to, whoever had the shoe, they would try to keep something like him out. I mean, like he's exactly, he's got no chances to go somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is all he knows. This is the only area he knows. So he stole. He did piecemeal work. Then he got an idea. So with the meager money he had, he bought pieces here and there of used Prussian guards, captain's uniforms. Ok, he got his hands on some shined army boots and a captain's had. Then he went for a little stroll. Sure he wanted to see what happened when he acted like he was supposed to be there, everyone was respectful and courteous. Like he's a changed man. Everyone just snaps to attention. And between August and October of nineteen oh six, he wanders around Berlin in this military costume and he'd like bark orders at any soldiers that he encountered, and they'd obey immediately. So on October sixteenth, nineteen oh six, he's fifty seven years old, what's on the phony uniform? Takes a train to Tegel, a small town about an hour and a half away from Berlin. Probably not saying it right, apologies. Then he went to the local army barracks and a platoon passed him, and everyone gave him a sharp salute, and he raised his sword and he ordered them to halt. The corporal in charge stepped forward and Voight gave his order to the railway station. So then he tells the corporal they're acting under direct orders of the Emperor Old Wilhelm. The Shepherd, captain, the corporal, and seven guardsmen. They head off to the Berlin Circuit railway station and then there four guys from the fourth foot Guards regimen are already there, so he orders them to join the groupe. Yeah, a train was just leaving when they get there, but that wasn't a problem. He orders it to stop, and they commandeered the first class carriage just for him a man, and he stuck all of his impromptu troop in another car and they get to Copenick. That's the destination. He takes his makeshift unit right down to the town hall and he tells them that he was there to execute some official matters of importance, like he's just yelling at everybody. So they get there and he posts a sentry at each entrance and he tells them orders to shoot if needed. So like this is serious business and it's kind of open for interpretation, right anyway, So Voight and his men they marched into the office of doctor langer Hans, the mayor of town. Oh, and so Voight whipped out his sword and announced, you are my prisoner by the Kaiser's orders, and you will be immediately taken immediately to Berlin. What Longer Hans was like, I beg, and voy yells you add nothing to beg.
Speaker 3: I have already told you that you are my prisoner.
Speaker 2: Kaiservillehn Yeah, so Longer Hans. He's dragged to a carriage by armed guards and then driven to Berlin.
Speaker 3: What did this guy do?
Speaker 2: Voight tells the Copenick police. Careful law and order prevent calls to Berlin for one hour at the local post office. Sure, so they're all just frozen, of course. Zarin, close your eyes. Oh, I want you to picture it. It's October sixteenth, nineteen oh six. You are the Copenick town treasurer Air von Wildberg. You're sitting at your desk, quiet lead tapping away at an adding machine, when you hear a commotion feet marching down a hallway. The door flies open, and a mustachioed older gentleman in a Prussian Guards captain uniform bursts into the room. He stares you down and then shouts for you to hand over the town's cash book. Confused, you turn your squeaky wooden office chair and open the safe that steps behind your desk. Your hands are shaking. You gingerly lift a metal cash box from the safe, face the captain once again, and set the box on your desk. In it are four thousand and two marks. The captain orders you to put the cash in a bag and place an official seal on it. You do it is ordered. He then asks for the receipt book. You slide it towards him on the desk. He quickly scrawls the signature in it, acknowledging the more than four grand he just took. What you don't know is that the name he wrote was that of his former prison warden He stares at you again and then orders his men to arrest you. He says, you are a charged with illegal bookkeeping, political corruption and irregularities committed in connection with the public sewage works. You don't resist. There are rifles and bayonets in your face. You know you're innocent and an investigation will clear you of any wrongdoing. You have faith in the system. You're shuffled out to a commandeered carriage. The captain orders some grenadiers to take you to Berlin for interrogation. Then he tells the rest of his men to stand right where they are for the next thirty minutes. Off you go, terrified and hopeful that all will be well. So Void grabs the money in the city coffers, and then he orders all the officials away. What's he going to do now? Well, he goes back to the train station. He's alone, remember, he tells him to stand there for half an hour. At the station, he went into the bathroom, changed back into his street clothes. He left his sword next to the toilet, and he shoved his uniform in a cardboard box against the wall on the platform. Then he disappears. Four thousand marks hand. He did stop to send a telegram to Berlin that said town hall occupied by troops, implore you to give reasons to quiet citizens. So this is about the time the soldiers showed up in Berlin at the police station with the mayor.
Speaker 3: He has managed so many things in this reactions and.
Speaker 2: Responses completely and it took a while, but like eventually everyone figures out they've been had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the chess game's over.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Word gets back to German army officials and they kick off this search to capture him, and pretty soon word of fake mission spreads all over Germany and then all over Europe and then all over the world. Oh wow, early virality, it's a great storytally, He's got this like lowly shoemaker, petty criminal that out the Germans and their Prussian discipline in their own way. Yeah. So the papers said that Kaiser Wilhelm the second laughed out loud when he heard a story, and he called him an amiable scoundrel. The thing he that's right. Well, he saw the whole thing as a testament to how much obedience and respect the military had among the people. Oh good, And a newspaper in Berlin stated, quote, it is undoubtedly a fact in Prussia that the uniformed triumphs not because he is better, or cleverer or more prudent than his neighbors, but because he is in uniform.
Speaker 3: Yes, of Germany.
Speaker 2: Yeah so the British press Russia saw it his confirmation of their stereotypes about Germans. The Illustrated London News reported, quote, for years, the Kaiser has been instilling into his people reverence for the omnipotence of militarism, of which the holiest symbol is the German uniform. Offenses against this fetish have incurred punishment. Officers who have not considered themselves saluted in due form have drawn their swords with impunity. On offending privates.
Speaker 3: Now drawing their swords, did they then use their swords?
Speaker 2: You just threaten them?
Speaker 3: Who knows the kind of like spank them?
Speaker 2: What's what? English author GK. Chester I love him, yes. Quote. The most absurd part of this fraud, at least to English eyes, is one which oddly enough, has received comparatively little comment. I mean the point at which the mayor asked for a warrant, and the captain pointed to the bayonets of his soldiery and said, these are my authority. One would have thought anyone would have known that no soldier would talk like that exactly, So a reward was offered. One of Voight's former cellmates ratted him out. He identifies him and then said, you know what, he bragged to me about this whole thing. So ten days later Voight gets arrested, like mid breakfast at the place where he's staying. He was not viewed unkindly.
Speaker 3: Like a big wallrus mustache.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, those exactly, So he wasn't viewed unkindly by the cops or even treated that way. In fact, the main inspector gave him a bottle of port and he showed up. Yeah, Voight turned over what little remained of the money.
Speaker 3: He stold they were taking the side of Kaiser Wilhelm, that this guy's like he's German.
Speaker 2: Really, they just think this guy's Yeah, he told the police commissioner, why if I'd run across you at Copenick town Hall, I'd have handled you in the same way. Like he's just jokes about everything. The main paper in Berlin ran a special edition about his capture and then gave it away for free to the public.
Speaker 3: Extra extra read all about it. For free.
Speaker 2: That's how big this story was. He was a folk hero. People thought that he should be allowed his freedom, that he was just like too smart to lock up.
Speaker 3: German pork heroes are funny.
Speaker 2: So he goes to trial. It is the event.
Speaker 3: He was ordering everyone around him. We were all listening to him. He's the greatest.
Speaker 2: They charged for tickets to get into the courtroom, like there was a ticket. You had to buy a ticket, and it was like a who's who in the gallery. You had like high ranking military officers, socialites, like all the creative intelligentsia.
Speaker 5: Ooh.
Speaker 2: So Voight takes the stand. He regales the court with his life story and he wrapped it up by telling the judge that he was quote a very honest thief because I only appropriated official funds. So, despite charming the spectators with his humor, he's found guilty of quote serious interference with the authority of the state and grave forgery of official documents. He got four years in prison. He only served two years after he won amnesty from Wilhelm.
Speaker 3: Wow the Kaiser acted on well.
Speaker 2: No King Edward the seventh of England pleaded for Voight to be freed, and that pressure yeah, led to the amy the.
Speaker 3: One who ducks out of the king. He's like, before I go, do you look out for quickly?
Speaker 2: Quickly? So the government formed a committee in charge of making sure that Voight was taken care of in his twilight years. Not to be like, how did this happen? Ladies from all over the globe, like more than one hundred and thirty of them offered their hands in marriage.
Speaker 3: I'm doing this wrong.
Speaker 2: You totally are He supporters raised two thousand British pounds for him. What, yeah, was it a different time?
Speaker 3: Is what am I missing? Here?
Speaker 2: Four days after he gets out the like brilliant, the Wax Museum puts up a wax sculpture like Madame Tussau's Yeah, but in like the German one, puts up a wax sculpture of him wearing a captain's uniform. And then at the scene of his crime, another statue went up, this one declaring him the captain of Copenick.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: He he goes down, they unveil a statue. He goes down there to sign autographs and pose for photos, and then the cops come and they break the zoo up, and then the government banned his special appearances there.
Speaker 3: Oh wait a minute, only we can like dance on this. You can't dance on it.
Speaker 2: We don't profit from this. So in nineteen oh nine he published his memoirs.
Speaker 3: Of course, how I get the book up there?
Speaker 2: How I became Captain of Copenick. It went through a ton of reprints, the most recently in twenty sixteen. What yeah, people are still reading about this. He traveled all over the country selling postcards with his pictures on them. He took his act on the road, and he made his name for himself as Captain of Copenik by playing himself in like variety shows in Canada in the US.
Speaker 3: Okay, sure, like acting out the scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this tour almost didn't happen because US authorities wouldn't grant him a visa.
Speaker 3: Because of the war.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, he had all this bureaucratic red tape because don't forget, he didn't have any papers.
Speaker 3: Oh right, he's undocumented.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so he's living in Luxembourg at the time, and he's working as a shoemaker and a waiter while he waits to get over to North America. He did. He got into Canada in nineteen ten, and then he was in a few shows put on by Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Bailey until nineteen eighteen. So that's how he gets in okay. His escapades were commemorated in a nineteen thirty Karl Zuckmeyer play, as well as four movies produced between nineteen oh six and nineteen fifty six, three TV shows between nineteen sixty in two thousand and one. In two thousand and six, he got his own postage stamp in Germany.
Speaker 3: He's a legend.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you about the play. As the Nazis took power, Zuckmeyer saw parallels with the Voight affair when it came to like blind obedience and fanaticism, and so he first produced the story as a comic strip, highlighting like all it takes to make someone what they are is their costume, sure, and like Hitler, rising star of fascism, hates it. And then Zuckmeyer then produced the story as a play and it was like super successful for two years, and then Hitler came into full power and shut the whole thing down. What resonated with people then and now is the catch twenty two of the whole thing. So he can't. He just can't earn an honest living, doesn't have a fixed address, can't get a job, doesn't have a job, can't get a fixed address, can't get a passport.
Speaker 3: And takes on the full powers of the state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like he couldn't he could didn't have a passport, so they couldn't even like ship him back to the Russian town where he was born and knew nothing of Like we see a lot of parallels today.
Speaker 3: He's like the people now he don't have passports, they have to live in an airport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly so, a London paper wrote, quote, he never could cope with bureaucracy gone mad. A society where a man couldn't get a job without a work permit, and couldn't get a work permit without a job. Voight couldn't stay where he was without an identity card, and he couldn't travel without a passport. At fifty six, worn to a frazzled cipher from backing this system, muddled by thirty years in jail for not conforming Wilhelm, Voight finally rebelled. He played a little trick.
Speaker 3: I have nothing wrong with what he did personally, maybe got what four thousand Deutsche marks or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's shit. So June nineteen twelve, news gets out that he had passed away in the London hospital, and like News nineteen twelve, newspapers all across Germany just are lauding him with warm and lengthy obituaries. But it turned out it was all a mistake. He was alive and he was living in Germany. He did like the obits though, like, given the warm fuzzies.
Speaker 3: He lived, it's got to be nice to see how people are going to talk about you in your day. Yeah, totally, Like I'm so tempted to fake my death just to have that.
Speaker 2: I see like there's nothing printed. I'm like, oh, well, even that would be fun. That would be funny. He lived, He had like a life pension that this rich Berlin Dowager gave him.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then he also had an open invitation to eat for free at this local restaurant whenever he wanted.
Speaker 3: Well, that sounds right, like, oh you get free sandwiches, but the Dowager, that's impressive.
Speaker 2: And even so, though he lived in abject poverty in his later years because he lost everything in the post World War One recession. On January third, nineteen twenty two. He died from the flu in Luxembourg. He was seventy three years.
Speaker 3: Old, the aka the Spanish flu.
Speaker 2: I'd probably twenty two. The government paid for his funeral, but they wouldn't pay for tombstone. Circus Saracini sometimes yeah, and employer of his they paid for one. His lady love, Madam.
Speaker 3: Coconhat is she the dowager?
Speaker 2: No, she bought a burial plot with a fixed term concession in Notre Dame Cemetery in the city of Luxembourg. Meaning there's like a lease with an end date.
Speaker 3: Yea, as I'm saying, did they dig them up and move them?
Speaker 2: Well, she has this metal plaque put up that red and German. Blessed are the people who are homesick, because they should come home. And so, while passing through Luxembourg City in nineteen sixty one, the circus extended the concession for another fifteen years. But then when that fifteen years was up, the monument was supposed to be demolished. The director of the National Tourist Office got the German press all riled up, and they demanded that the lease be extended and everything remain in place. And like members of European Parliament spoke out in favor of unlimited prolongation of the maintenance of the burial place.
Speaker 3: That's great, great, who's going to pay? Going to write the check?
Speaker 2: While this is going on, his tombstone is falling apart, like it's literally crumbling. So the city of Luxembourg they organized a competition to design a new monument. They got one that was like a Prussian helmet in this like inscription I hope, yeah, So they moved it. His remains were moved to a new location in the cemetery, and as the funeral procession made its way to like reinter him, they passed by some French soldiers and a member of the funeral cortege told the commanding officer that the world famous Captain of Copenick was passing by. The Frenchman they they thought that the VIP from the Luxembourg Army was passing by. Like they didn't understand, and the leader of the platoon ordered his men to halt and fire off a salute.
Speaker 3: And the captains on it.
Speaker 2: It's like a last gesture of respect for a brother officer, like so he pulls off the stolen valor one last time, Zaren, what's your ridiculous takeaway?
Speaker 3: Oh man? Uh, Like, the undocumented in a time where you can't really prove your identity because you don't have like a DNA and fingerprints like a known technology must have been a nightmare. But at the same time, I'm for a criminal kind of a dream because you can always say, on this other person, if you could forge your paperwork, great, But for someone like Camboo's unwilling to do that lifestyle instead, I just can't imagine. Well, I mean, tell these stories.
Speaker 2: Think about kids who were born in Mexico and they come here as an infant, sure, and they've never been to Mexico. Sure, and they are not citizens. They're under basically the situation you can't go anywhere, you can't get a job and leave the country. Yeah, So it's like there's no solution for them. I mean, there is a solution for it, but it's like to be in that position is such a it's so difficult, Like Catch twenty two.
Speaker 3: I'm so over it. I'm so ready for like United States of the World, not like the US runs the world. I don't mean that, but I mean like every world, Like oh no, not even well whatever new World over yet, but all the countries right or just federated states, and we have like a global governance at least at the level of like travel, documentation, taxes, pollutions, certain things that affect everybody on a global scale, Like can we always get this not the un I don't want like, oh, we're gonna have these people standard and make sure these people get fatter, don't choot each other. I don't mean that. I mean, like, do the global stuff and boom. I think it's ridiculous that we still don't have that. So there you go.
Speaker 5: Second away.
Speaker 3: I found it backwards, Elizabeth, I've already covered it.
Speaker 2: I do need to talk back.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, let's hit that up.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, did you see that? I love.
Speaker 4: Ridiculous crime.
Speaker 7: Just listen to the episode about the college art thief started out selling IDs finally stold the autubon books. You said a name Harry Balls, and he it should be pronounced Harry Falls and I.
Speaker 4: Anyway, love you guys. This is Gravy the truck driver.
Speaker 3: You could call me a nice.
Speaker 4: That's Gravy the truck driver.
Speaker 5: Peace.
Speaker 4: Hey, you guys, this is a grave the truck driver. Again. I've got to tell you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you can use my name and voice on the email or whatever, just not my phone number.
Speaker 3: Antime in you gotta deal crazy with the truck driver.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: Shout out to the truck drivers. You bought it, a truck brought it.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. That's all for today. You can find us online at ridiculous crime dot com. We're a Ridiculous Crime on Twitter and Instagram. There's an email and then the talkbacks on the iHeart app. We reach out. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Zaren Burnett and Elizabeth Dutton, produced and edited by highly decorated Admiral Dave Cousten, starring Annale Rutger as Judith. Research is by decorated Spanish American war hero Merissa Brown and member of Charlie Company Andrea Song Sharpen Tear. The theme song is by survivors of the bombing of the Main Thomas Lee and Traviston. Post wardrobe is provided by Botany five hundred. Guest hair and makeup is by Sparkleshot and Mister Andre. Executive producers are Peloponnesian warvet Bean Bolen and Soldier Inside the Trojan Horse Noel Brown. Ridicous Crime, Say it one more Timeous Crime.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four more podcasts, My heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.