Speaker 1: HEYBA fam, it's Mandy here. Oh it's kind of sad for me to be doing the intro for the last show of twenty twenty, but honestly, there's so much to celebrate about this year, there's also so much to mourn. And let me just be the one to say, you have permission to feel however you feel right now. Okay, thank you so much for being a part of the Brand Ambition family this year of all years, and I am delighted to bring to you our last show of twenty twenty. It is our Conversation, a look back at our conversation rather with just Breach seeing the founder of Minority Mindset. Minority Mindset is not just an amazing YouTube channel that everyone should go subscribe to you like right now and don't forget to tell them BA sent you, but it's also a newsletter and just an all around source of financial literacy. Just brit is so inspirational and he is so good y'all, Like for real, He's amazing at explaining different concepts, whether it be investing, buying real estate, starting a business, or just starting a budget. Honestly, we cannot recommend him more and we hope that you enjoy our conversation with just Brit. Happy new Year, Please take care, be well and we'll see y'all next year.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, hey, I can't contain my excitement. Okay, Hey, Mandy, how you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm so good. How are you, Tiffany?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: I honestly don't think I've ever been this excited before to tape our podcast. I mean, I'm always excited. Speaking of which sidebar, I went to a children's birthday party this weekend.
Speaker 1: Wait and want to be a hanging like that?
Speaker 2: No, and it's real quick, because this is important. And I went to this children's birthday party.
Speaker 3: I walked in. This lady said, I was just listening to brand ambition and tell me Andy.
Speaker 2: I said hi, And I was like, what at this nine year old birthday party? I just had to tell you that that she said Hi. She was really nice. But it's just yeah, so we're everywhere, just to tell you we're at children's birthday parties. So yes, I'm excited because we have a special guest today and I can't even focus on anything else.
Speaker 1: I did not know what a stand you were.
Speaker 2: What this is I'm trying to think is to anybody in the finance world that I want to like talk to more, isn't h Actually he's definitely top three for me. I don't even know the other two. Like, I don't even know the other two. I'm just saying top three because I don't want to see him crazy by saying my number one.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm so excited too, you guys should I let's let's let's get to it. Our guest today is the fabulous just Breet Sing, the founder of the Minority Mindset, which has basically become like a financial education empire. If we can, yes, we can say that Sure started as a YouTube channel four or five years ago. Hmmm. Also celebrating our five year anniversary. So I feel like our journeys have been in tandem. But Just Bread started his YouTube channel in twenty fifteen. It has blown up. He's got hundreds of thousands of subscribers, he's got a massive Instagram following. But he also has really at the heart of Minority Mindset is financial education. So he has a very successful blog, a newsletter that I actually signed my husband up for, you know how, Like I was like, babe, listen to you know, get this newsletter, and I just like put an email in Now he loves his newsletter. I feel like next to Robin Hood Snacks and the Minority Mindset newsletter, I'm set for the day. Yeah, I got my you know, I got my financial news all covered. So just is here with us? Can't we to tell?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, if the word geeked was in the dictionary, it'd be my face right now.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: Okay, you have no idea, like bothered, I loved as you have no idea?
Speaker 3: What another? Yes?
Speaker 2: Well you know what it is I love about him is that one another brown financial educator who actually educates, Like he has this passion for teaching and you know, like the teacher me, I'm like a teacher snob. So I can tell when someone's a good teacher and actually cares. You could tell one that he really cares too. He's a really good teacher because he takes these concepts that can be really overwhelming and daunting and makes them easy to understand.
Speaker 3: And what I really love is that Jossprey his.
Speaker 2: Information is different in that like I focus on like basic financial education like budgeting and saving and debt, and someone like Sandy's side hustles, and someone like Tela sucks, But Joshpree really hones in on like economics. He's like an economics professor that is fun and engaging and you get to learn about like money in this personal sense, but what does it mean out there in the world, and then how do you bring it back to you? Like I've never I've never seen that before, you know, all the financial educators that I've seen, in the way that someone can teach modern economics in the way that it's personal. So yeah, I just screaming. I'm gonna calm down now, like when he's on, I'm not going to be normal. I'm going to be normal.
Speaker 1: Well, if you don't yet, go and follow Josh Breed's YouTube channel. It's the Minority Mindset and he will let him explain the meaning behind the minority mindset. May not be what you think, but it's one of my favorite things about his channel and really his point of view, which I'm really interested to talk about. And he and Tiffany have like everything in common, so I think we're like a little financial guru. Matchmaking is happening here, you know, not like that.
Speaker 3: Like no, likee like my friend, he's my friend brother.
Speaker 1: Yes, Josh Bred's going to talk about how he got his start in financial literacy education, and like anyone that we know in this business, it started with kind of a sad story, but he bounced back and now he is bringing his education to the masses, and we're going to talk with him next on the show. Before we do that, what about us tivity? These days?
Speaker 3: I don't even know. I'm like, who cares? And I'm just doing? What is going on? Honestly, I don't know. You know, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: I'm so distracted. I'm like, what's going with my life? I'm breathing, I ate, but yeah, I honestly.
Speaker 1: We're laboring on labor Day? What's wrong with us?
Speaker 3: I know it's okay though, that's fine, it's for a good cause. But what about you?
Speaker 2: What's going I can't even think of anything new in my life right now other than this, So what about you?
Speaker 1: I usually rely on you for all the excitement. My parents, well, my mom and my stepdad were in town all week long, and I feel like I barely saw them because of course, I was taking advantage of all that free childcare to do as much work as I possibly could, and part of that week I spent working on the show. You guys, we are so close. The brun Ambition merch Store is like ninety nine point nine percent ready to go. In fact, maybe by this week's episode there will be a place where you can finally get your Brown Ambition t shirts, okay and onesies. There may be a coffee mug, there may be a tote bag. We'll see. So I've been working on the virtual store, let's see. On top of booking today's esteemed guests, just saying I also booked a couple other guests. Tiffany, he asking you I did this month is going to be major. So we have Lynette Californi Cox rejoining.
Speaker 3: Our lib right.
Speaker 1: She's like the og guest of Brown Ambition, and I figured there was no better way to celebrate our upcoming five year anniversary than having one of our faves back on the show. But Lynette is going to talk about all about how she and her husband Earl. I don't know if you follow them on Facebook, but every other week she's like, we just buy our Batman property. Yes, they make six of you know, our six property.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, Lynette, you have got to and she hasn't really, you know, been talking about their journey to real estate, you know, uh, entrepreneurship. So I'm really excited to have her, and We're going to focus all about because we do get these questions a lot from listeners. You know, what do you guys think about, you know, investing in real estate and having an income proper and how that all works. But Lynette is really doing it, So I'm excited to have her on. I think she's gonna be on in a couple of weeks. And then we also have doctor Emani. She's from a show called Married to Medicine, and she's going to be joining us to talk about mental health. As you guys know, like we're all we're just I mean, Tiffany and I are pretty transparent about, you know, what we do to cope with life, and therapy has been a big part of my life and I know right now in this in these crazy times, mental health is so important and doctor Emani is a black woman in mental health really helping to remove the stigma. And we're gonna have her on to talk about how we can all cope with the insanity of today's world a little bit better. So look out for an interview with doctor IMMANI coming up in September as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're busy beavers.
Speaker 1: Busy beavers. I know, how do you feel about five years?
Speaker 3: Jessfree just messes me, he said, Hey, Tiffany, it's Jaspree.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm done. You distracted. I can't even talk to you right now, all.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm just I'm gonna screenshot it so i can't ride cool.
Speaker 1: Dang now, I'm not to play it cool.
Speaker 3: You will, girl, It's always to me, I'm not playing it cool. I'm gonna fan out.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, but yes, are we do have a biogram or that was basically we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Talk basically the bio Did I not do No?
Speaker 3: No, you did get a job.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I'm just flustered.
Speaker 2: And for those of you who are like, oh my god, no there is I mean, just you know, I guess he's a good looking guy.
Speaker 3: It ain't about that.
Speaker 2: It's just to find somebody who's like a kindred spirit in financial education is not an easy thing. So yeah, that's what I'm just so geeked aback because it's like this is somebody who I really listen to and think, like, wow, I've learned so much because I'm to me, a good teacher is a better learner, a better student, and so like you know, through him, I've been able to just learn so much.
Speaker 3: So it just feels like, oh my god, my teacher's here.
Speaker 1: So I'm excited. Okay, well let's get to it. Let's take a quick break. Tiffany needs to get a glass of water, maybe like reapply her to yodorant. And I feel I can like feel this wedding. I'm alright, be right back with jaspered saying from the minority mindset.
Speaker 3: And we're back.
Speaker 2: So you guys heard my intro. Joss Breed has not heard my intro yet, so he's not properly embarrassed as he will be later. I am so excited, I mean because they don't ever hear me. I mean, I'm excitable easily, but they don't hear me. Gush about another financial educator. But I'm super geeked because to find some one who is it's excited about personal finance as I am. But also it's a really good educators. Brie, I used to be a school teacher for ten years before I started the Budgetnissa.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, that's amazing, and so just.
Speaker 2: Like listening to your your your your YouTube channel literally every morning.
Speaker 3: It's like one of the ways I start my day.
Speaker 4: I've gotten that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Like all my sisters listen, especially my sister Carol, so much so that my three year old niece Amelia is like, just.
Speaker 3: Free I get.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's awesome. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm just really excited. You are awesome and amazing.
Speaker 2: And if you guys have not subscribed to his YouTube channel, we highly encourage it. It's minority mindset on YouTube. And yeah, let's get this party started.
Speaker 4: You are awesome. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Loved we're all having on the show. I think Tip and I have both been kind of fanning out or standing out for you for a while, and let me realize we both watch you, so we had to have you on. Just I want for people who don't know about the minority mindset and what that means, can you just quickly explain what you mean by the minority mindset and how it applies to your financial philosophy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So, the minority mindset has nothing to do with the way you look, your ethnicity, or your skin color. It's the mindset of thinking differently than the majority of people when it comes to your money. So I say, like, the majority people have what I call like a consumer mindset spend spend spend. I try to teach and help people develop more of a minority investor mindset where it's more of, Okay, how do I use my money as a tool to kind of help build my wealth and start of making everybody around me rich?
Speaker 3: Now we love that. How did you get into teaching financial education?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: How?
Speaker 2: Because I know you are an attorney by or by trade, and I love the fact that you're always like, you know, I'm an attorney, but I'm not your attorney.
Speaker 3: I'm like such an attorney thing to.
Speaker 2: Say, like, don't suit me, so your grandma? But yeah, so how are you still an actively practicing attorney?
Speaker 3: But yeah, how did you make that transition?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 5: Uh no, I do not actively practice in that sense. It was kind of so. I grew up in a very traditional Indian household. When I was growing up, I was told that I need to become a doctor. That was kind of like the only thing that I was taught, like from the day I was born. I was taught to study science and math so that way I can get into medical school and When I say that my parents were strict about me getting into medical school, I mean they were very, very, very strict. Like when I was in eighth grade, my parents got me a tutor, not to help me with my English class that I was struggling with, but to help me get into medical school. They got me an MCAT tutor, which is the thing that people take to get into medical school when they're finishing college. So my parents were very serious about me going into medicine. But I've always sort of had this like entrepreneurial mindset. When I was in high school, I started working at weddings. I used to play this Indian drum called the Old and I would play this at weddings and I got to know a lot of DJs. And then my junior and senior year in high school, I started actually hosting teen parties for kids in my high school. And this was kind of my first real exposure to entrepreneurship. And I went to college thinking that everybody goes to college to study, Like I thought, people would spend the Friday nights in the chemistry lab doing reactions.
Speaker 4: And doing things like this, and everybody was partying.
Speaker 5: Now I don't. I never drink. I was never really into partying. It was more just a business for me. But I needed something to do on Friday nights. So I took my high school kind of teen party business into college and I started this college party business. And that's when I really started developing this minority mindset because the majority of people were partying and blowing all their money at parties, and all of a sudden, now I was making pretty decent money in college without a degree, because I don't know that was possible. And that's when I started thinking, Wow, what happens when you think differently than the majority of people. So I never grew up learning about money. I never grew up learning about entrepreneurship. I never grew up learning about business. I actually had to do all of this kind of like in secret, because I don't want my parents to know that I was doing business right. I needed them to think that I was going to become a doctor. And so now I was starting to make money and I had money in the bank for the first time, and so I started reading books about investing, and that's when I started learning more about real estate investing, in stock market investing, and that's when I started learning all this stuff about money that I had never been exposed to before. So it was like this kind of like almost like mind shock because I don't even know this world of like money management and investing in passive income even existed.
Speaker 1: So are we we're not outing you to your parents right now? Or do they do they know who you are? Just free? Did they know? Do they know about the manumity mindset?
Speaker 4: They know?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was how do they feel about it? Now? They love it? You know. Now It's like at first it was a big shock.
Speaker 5: It took my mom years to really get over that idea that her son wasn't going to become a doctor. But now they're like, wow, okay, so I guess this. This did work. So it took some time, but you know, it was one of those things where you know, my parents were never exposed to it either. You know that like most of us, I don't think we're ever exposed to financial education, money management and investing, so we don't know what that even means or that what that entails.
Speaker 1: Do you find that they come to you for advice? Now? Are you the family financial guru?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: So I'm help with my dad, because you know, all of a sudden, it's like, what is retirement, how do you plan for retirement?
Speaker 4: What is investing?
Speaker 5: So I've been helping my dad with all of that, and you know, it's it's funny how things have kind of come full circle because in the beginning, they're like, you know, don't worry about money. If you just get a good job, then nothing else matters. But now it's like, wait, no, it doesn't work like that. You have to understand your money if you want to be able to live a good life no matter what you do.
Speaker 3: No, and just I can totally relate.
Speaker 2: My parents were born and raised in Nigeria, and it was like you could be a doctor, a lawyer, a pharmacist.
Speaker 3: Everything else is a drug dealer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they were delighted when I became a school teacher, absolutely thrilled. They were just like, what you're dealing drugs now? So now they love the fact that I'm a budgetista. But it took many, many years and success for them to be okay with it.
Speaker 4: I get it, I get it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, It's just one of those things where you know, it's just it's not something we're used to. It's out of the ordinary, right, but it's so important, and I think a lot of people don't get that, Like, you can do whatever you want if you understand money. I mean, at that point, if you have the income and you have the resources to support it, then you know you have no no, nothing holding.
Speaker 1: You back, all right, and you wish so much that you had known it when you were younger. What are some of the Well I kind of know the answer this question already, and in fact, the party your story that I love the most is similar to Tiffany's story and how she started, which Tiffany talked about people again, of course, sort of your story and how you I don't know what you call a business scam? What happened to you earlier?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a scam? So a quote unquote air quotes. I know a friend of mine, but that's okay because he's in jail now.
Speaker 3: Hey, jail friend. Oh wow, So it was a scam.
Speaker 2: I was in my twenties, and that's back when you believe that when people look like they have money, they have money. And so I wanted. I was a preschool teacher. I was really good at saving, really good at budgeting. I saved like half my income every year and I bought a condo when I was twenty five. I was what I called financially perfect, right, so great credit score savings. But I honestly, my father was a cfo in an accountant of a small nonprofit, so I grew up with financial education, so I was just doing what he told me to do. I was not I didn't have any real knowledge. I was just like, well, what do I do next, you know, like the dutiful, you know, immigrant second first generation daughter, right right. And then one day I said, I'm going to take it into my own hands, and I reached out to a friend who I thought was wealthy, and he subsequently scanned me and it left me thirty five thousand dollars in credit card debt, in which I never had yes credit card debt before. I didn't even tell my parents until literally years later into my thirties.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: I was so like.
Speaker 2: Afraid, you know, and ashamed honestly, So yeah, that was what triggered. So as I was digging my way out other friends, it happened right before and really right during the two thousand and eight two thousand and nine with sessions. So it's like the worst luck. So I lost my job. I had the scam. Now I'm going to foreclosure. It was everything that could go wrong went wrong. But as I was fixing myself, I realized that there were other people that were struggling too. So the teacher in me was like, well, Tiffany, you teach why not just help your friends? And then they brought their friends and they brought their friends. So that was like the advent of the budgetista my business. And Mandy said, you experienced like a scam that kind of triggered your journey to financial education.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, well, first off, that sucks. I you know, stories like that are always you know, it's great that you had that entrepreneurial mindset where it's just like, you know, what do I do about this? Instead of complaining about it, doing something about this, So props to you. That's that was amazing for me. It was actually very similar. I've always been that entrepreneur person too, and kind of didn't really have much guidance, never really had someone to talk to about entrepreneurship or money management or investing. And I had this sock business that I started and I was getting ready to launch it, and this marketing company came up to me. And they were like, hey, let us handle your marketing and we're going to get you all the sales, all this marketing, and we guarantee you're going to see all the success and if you don't, we will give you all your money back. So I was skeptical, naturally, but you know, this kind of money back guarantee was reassuring. So I was like, all right, you know what do I got to lose? So I handed these guys a lot of money. It wasn't thirty five thousand dollars, but it was a lot of money to me at the time. And the day after I sent them the money, I was in the gym and I remember this because I was I really like working out. I'm a big gym person, and so I started to kind of get this weird feeling in my stomach as I was doing the chest fly, and I was like, I don't know, something just doesn't feel right in me. So I called up the guy that I gave the money to, like twenty four hours later, and I was like, hey, man, I know that I said that you guys would do the marketing, but you know, let's just cancel it right now before you guys actually spend any money on advertising and marketing. I want to do a refund. I want to do it all myself. So let's just end it before you guys spend any money that way. You know, no hard feelings, let's just kind of move on. So he's like, all right, no problem. He puts me on hold, and I was getting really irritated because you know, I'm it's just like delaying my workout. This has taken a lot longer than expected because I'm I'm on hold for like a long time now, and eventually the phone just goes beep beep, beep be So I was like, yeah, something's wrong. So I called up the other two numbers that I had. Nobody picks up, Nobody emails me, no one responds to me. Everyone stops responding to every single message that I have. So I contact an attorney and I found out I was scammed. So I was like, all right, what do I do now? You know, I launched the business. We had an amazing launch. We did, like I forgot. There was like twenty one thousand dollars in the first month of pre sales of our SOCC business. But I still had that feeling, like, you know that sucks, Like there's a lot of honest entrepreneurs out there trying to do something, trying to understand kind of how to take care of themselves, but don't necessarily know everything, so you're more susceptible to scams and getting screwed over like this.
Speaker 4: So I was like, you know, what can I do?
Speaker 5: So I went on you Demi, and I put out this course on how to launch a business without getting screwed over, and I called it the Minority Mindset because at that time, I was like, you know, entrepreneurship is all about the minority mindset, is thinking different than the majority of people. And we had all this traction. We had all these students sign up for it and we're loving it. And they were like, hey, just breath. You should go on social media. And I was like, all right, and I don't know too much about digital marketing or anything at the time, So I created an Instagram page called Minority Mindset, where I just started posting quotes and kind of just random tips about money management and starting a business. And then I had a lot of comments and messages from people saying, hey, you should start a blog or you should start a podcast, and I was like, I can't start a blog. English is my second language. I suck at writing, so no, that's not going to happen. Podcasting. I don't even know what a podcast was, so I was like, yeah, I can't do that, but I do like YouTube, and I see a lot of people on YouTube. I like watching YouTube. Maybe I can make YouTube videos. I know how to talk, so I started making videos under the title Minority Mindset, where I just talked about things that I wish I knew when I was younger. So I talked about money management, talked about entrepreneurship, and slowly this started to grow, and you know, a year and a half or so, a couple of years later, we had grown to over one hundred thousand subscribers, and now all of a sudden, we were building a brand. And I don't even know that that's what I was doing. I was just this is something that I was doing as a hobby, just because I was so kind of hurt by the scam, and now this is what I do.
Speaker 3: That's yeah.
Speaker 1: At the time, I mean, how were you what was your source of income then? And then when did you realize, Okay, I can really sustain myself with the minority mindset.
Speaker 5: So when I started a minority mindset, when I was in law school. Actually, so I was in law school, I was doing the soccer business, and I was doing a lot of stuff in real estate, so I was a real estate investor. I used to do real estate whole stale, I think, and I was a real estate salesperson. So I was kind of doing a whole bunch of things at once. And the kind of fork I ran into was right around the one hundred thousand subscriber mark. With minority mindset, we weren't making a lot of money, but it was. It was kind of a weird situation because the SoC business I had was making decent money. It was making a we were we were, you know, a solid business. But the problem was it was a special kind of athletic sock that I had created, but our patent was denied. So I had to kind of decide, Okay, do I want to go the route of building a sock brand where you know, I love starting a business, but I'm not so passionate about socks. I really wanted to license the technology, but that wasn't really going to work because we didn't get approved for this patent. But minority mindset I had a real passion for. Like I loved teaching, I love money management, I loved talking about entrepreneurship and financial education. This is like something I really really enjoy doing because this is something I wish I knew when I was growing up, but we weren't making that much money. So I just I had to go all in with the minority mindset just because you know, I was like, this is something that I would love to do for the rest of my life. I don't really know what I was going to do with it, but that's the direction that I went. So, you know, I had luckily, I had real estate investments. I was doing real estate and and the SoC business was making money at the time. So then I kind of transferred over to minority mindset, not knowing what was going to happen. But I was also in law school, so I had very little expenses when I was starting off. And then it grew from there and now we are. We kind of transformed into a financial media company where we do financial news and financial education, and yeah, so that's how it kind of grew.
Speaker 1: I would so I can't get the socks. It's what you're.
Speaker 4: Saying yeah, we stopped selling the socks.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm curious as a business owner, I'm curious, like what are yours for the minority mindset, Like what are your streams of income? Like we're and then of the of your streams of income, what's bringing in the most.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we get real personal here. We shoulder and stuff.
Speaker 5: Absolutely so, so most of our income, I would eighty percent of our income comes from other brands and sponsors and advertisers. So what I mean by that is, so we have kind of a few different channels. We could say kind of two phases to our company. We have a financial news division and a financial education division.
Speaker 4: The news division is our daily financial.
Speaker 5: News that are where we just kind of come over what's going on in the financial news. The education side is a mix of our website and then social media and YouTube.
Speaker 4: So eighty percent.
Speaker 5: Of our revenue comes from our brand partners and sponsors.
Speaker 4: So these are companies that we work with.
Speaker 5: So we do a lot of education of how to use your money and also financial products. So we talk about things like mortgage refinancing, or we talk about stock brokerages, or we talk about life insurance, or we talk about credit cards. So we have partnerships with companies in all of these kind of services, and that's how we drive revenue from there.
Speaker 4: Then on the education side.
Speaker 5: We do have a couple of courses that we sell as well, but though that's kind of like something that's in the back burner, not really the back burner, but that's that's like a smaller part of our business.
Speaker 4: That's about twenty percent of our revenue.
Speaker 1: Okay, I feel like you and Tefany need to talk, yeah, because it's literally the Literature Academy is a major, and I feel like we need a minority mindset.
Speaker 2: It's the opposite for me, like our educational I have an online school that makes eighty percent of the income, and then my partnerships and affiliate marketing and things like that that's about twenty percent. But I made that kind of intentional because the Budgetista, which is my original brand, is I didn't want to. I didn't want it relies so heavily on me being me, which is cool, but I didn't. I was thinking, like ten twenty years from now, when I want to be like, you know, not the face of the business. Then what So I started an online school that you know that I use my budget aster brand to drive to my Liberature Academy and so that makes a good amount of mine. We just actually hit. We're we just hit this year, our first seven figure month. Also, yeah, it's crazy. I'm like, I used to be a preschool teacher. Now of course my parents are like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, doing so good. I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh really, because five years ago you were.
Speaker 3: Like, wait, it is your job Odoci that's my African name.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we need to talk after the call.
Speaker 2: Yes, we do because I think that, Yeah, I mean, I think that what you guys are doing is amazing because what I don't understand is how many people do you have working for you? Because Jos, I'm honestly signed up for everything. I just like, I read all the newsletters. I was like, I can't believe he has this whole curriculum. I signed up for the investment class, which I have not taken. Well, I've done all, Like Jaspree, I'm a stand I'm.
Speaker 3: Holding it in. You have no idea. I'm like, this is me.
Speaker 1: Do you have the socks?
Speaker 3: No, that's the only thing I'm missing.
Speaker 5: I'll send you a parent might have a couple left over I'll send you one of the special edition ones.
Speaker 2: So I guess the question is, like, I know how much work it takes, and like what size is your team? Because the quality and the consistency of your content is unmatched. So yeah, I would love to know a little bit more about you, like your team and how does that work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we're actually hiring a lot right now, so we are we are about to be. We have we have a mix of kind of our remote people, we have some freelancers, and then we have our in office team. So total, I would say we're something close to thirty people something around there.
Speaker 4: So you know, it's some more people are mixed.
Speaker 5: So some more people are full time in the office, some more people are full time remote, so it's kind of a bread blend in that. I would say by the end of the year, we'll have about ten people in the office perfectly that are you know, always there.
Speaker 4: Then we have another.
Speaker 5: Twenty to twenty five people maybe thirty that are remote fully.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's interesting that you say that you know you're not a good writer, because my favorite apart from your YouTube, I love your newsletter in the mornings man, So how much of that is you.
Speaker 4: Uh so.
Speaker 5: I would help with kind of coming up with the content ideas. The writing is our awesome writers. I am not involved with the writing much at all.
Speaker 1: It's good to know your strength. That's okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't want to read my writing writing. You want to know what is going on?
Speaker 5: Is this got talking about the stock market or the real estate market? I have no idea what he's talking about.
Speaker 1: Well, you do such a great job, I mean talk, you know, just it's a real talent to be able to explain concepts without writing, like without taking time to think them through. I'm not that I'm saying your stuff isn't thought through, but you know what I mean, like to be able to vocalize these topics and make them truly, you know, accessible to people, because, like you said, a lot of people don't understand this. You have to approach it, you know, from from the from the ground floor.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But let's we talked a little bit about passive income. You know, you have your real estate business. A lot of people right now, this is this is tied together, I promise. I want to first talk about your favorite passive income strategies and then kind of talk about how people are kind of using the stock market to create some passive income, which may or may not be the best you know, idea for the majority of people. If you can go back to that, you know, my minority majority contradiction. But yeah, talk about passive income streams, what you sort of have, what has worked for you, and what you you know, think could work for others, and then you know how how you would talk to folks thinking about getting into the market these days.
Speaker 5: So, you know, I think the first thing is kind of defining what passive income is, because I think a lot of people have a misconception as to passive income, Like, for example, there's a lot of ads out there like, oh start this online store is completely passive, even though you have to manage it for five hours every single day. So I don't consider that passive income. When I think of passive income, I think of my real estate investments where I own a house or an apartment complex, I do the renovation, I get it fully rent ready, and then I hand over the keys to my property management company, and after that I let them take care of the entire property, all tenant management, all tenant relations, everything agency. And then I just kind of every month I look at our statements. So I look at you know, how much rent do we receive, what was the maintenance requests and everything kind of in between. That's what I call passive income. So for me, my favorite is real estate. I love real estate investing. That is kind of like my number one favorite place to invest. But you know, real estate investing is not for everybody. You need to understand how real estate investing works. It takes a learning curve and not everybody wants to go through that. You know, you have to kind of go through your bad tenants. You have to go through the bad properties. You know, I went through that myself, and it sucks. It's painful, it's not fun to lose money. And with real estate there's there's more capital involved. It's a lot harder to start real estate investing, especially owning physical real estate with one hundred dollars or a thousand dollars. You know, you need more capital and more time to get to that passive income point. So you need to spend that time at the beginning to get through real passive income. Now, if we're talking about a more passive passive income where you don't really have to do much work at all, then the stock market does have a lot of opportunities there through dividends and dividend paying stocks, but you have to be kind of aware of what type of returns you can expect because I think sometimes people think, oh, okay, if I invest one thousand dollars, I should be making one thousand dollars a year in a passive income. But it doesn't really work like that, right, Like, if you invest in the stock market, you should be expecting three to five percent a year on your capital investment. So that's you know, if you invest one hundred dollars at three to five dollars a year for your investment through your dividends, and there's a lot of easy ways to do that. You can completely automate this. So you just take whatever funds you have and every month or every week it automatically gets invested into you whatever stocks or ETFs or funds you want.
Speaker 4: And then when.
Speaker 5: You get the dividends, it is your choice now whether you want to reinvest them back into the stocks or ETFs that way you kind of compounding your investments, or do you want to pull it out and keep this money for yourself and you know, use it to improve your lifestyle. The thing about passive income, especially in the stock market like this, is it is a long term game. If you're getting three to five percent a year, you need to compound that money. You need to keep adding that money into your stocks and ETFs because what happens is in a good market, stock prices will go up, so you know your your stock value, your investment value, is going up. But at the same time, companies, if they're growing, they're going to increase the amount of dividend that they're paying. So right now you might only be getting a three percent dividend on your money, but in five or ten years, they might double themount of dividend that they're paying out. So what went from a three percent dividend is now a six percent dividend. So it really starts to grow in compound. And if you keep reinvesting that money, the amount of money you'd be making through this passive income and dividends keeps growing slowly, slowly, slowly. So it's like kind of like the snowball that a lot of people talk about. You're you got to build a snowball in at the beginning, it's really slow, it's really hard, But as you keep going and as you stick with it, it will get bigger.
Speaker 1: Can you explain for folks who may have just blanked out when you said the word dividend because they may not even know what a dividend is. I mean, it's just it's a piece of the profits that a company will give you for investing in their stock. Right, how would you break it down?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So I the the way I like to explain dividends is think about like a thank you check from companies. So some companies, let's talk about McDonald's. Some companies like McDonald's make a lot of money, and at the end of the year, they have a whole bunch of cash in their bank account. And there's three things that a company can do with it's extra cash. They can save it for emergencies. They can reinvest this money back into their company. Or they can give this away literally give it away to their owners and shareholders, investors people like you and me for owning their stock. So if you and you buy a share of McDonald's, McDonald's will literally send you a check. They'll send you a few dollars every single year just because you owned the McDonald's stock. You don't have to go on flip burgers or do anything. You're getting this cash just for owning that investment.
Speaker 2: I love that explanation. I just saw that in one of your videos that you explained that was like he's doing the video.
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm watching your YouTube video.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the same time safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean this past week has been I don't know, this past summer. I mean, I just feel like everyone at home through this COVID crisis is bizarre time they were at in our country right now, and it's good for people like us who are in the business of teaching financial education, because folks are really hungry for right now. But I'm worried because, like my friends and family who really haven't been into financial anything until you know, COVID kind of hit and they have all this free time. People are coming to me, like should I invest in herds? What do you think about the Tesla stock split? I mean, last week my husband puts listen, Okay, like I said, I like to I have some money that I play around with that I'm not afraid to lose. I just have a little bit set aside so I can I can just prove to myself, honestly, what a terrible stockpicker I am, which is what it's been like for the past five to ten years. I've been doing it. But anyway, so my husband's got a little bit of money and you know that he could invest and he chose to invest in some TESL stock last week after the stock split, and of course he bought when it was really high, and by the end of the week it had tanked and he's like, what's going on? You need to sell my Tesla stock. And I feel like he's not alone. So what's your take on where people's mindset is at with you know, stock market investing these days, And what would you say to people who were trying to get into the market now as like a word of caution.
Speaker 5: So I just recorded a video on this. It's going to go up very soon. But stock or market predicting is for losers. Nobody can predict what's going to happen in the stock market tomorrow or three months or you know, in this short term. It is impossible because there's so many things that can happen that influence the stock market, especially in the short term. You know, we could see something happened to the president, we could see something happened with this coronavirus. We can see the fed change to monetary poul See, there are so many factors that influence the stock market in the short term that creates this like emotionalness in the stock market, and that's what creates creates like this panic selling and euphoria buying. And as a smart financial planner and a smart money manager and investor, that is exactly what you want to avoid. You want to be investing for the long term. So I'm a big proponent of long term investing, looking at companies who are growing, who are innovating, and have a good value, and buying into these companies for the long term. If that is what you're doing, the stock price doesn't even matter that much. You just want to continually buy it, whether it's every week or every month, or you know, whatever your schedule is. You just want to keep buying these stocks or funds that you want to own for the long term.
Speaker 3: For the majority dollar cost averaging.
Speaker 2: No, I was just going to say, so that's I know, that's your big philosophy dollar cost averaging.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and if it comes down, if it crashes, buy more. It's like one of those things that if it's a company you really believe in, buy it, and if it crashes, use it as.
Speaker 4: An opportunity to buy more.
Speaker 5: And I think for the majority of people, stock picking is not even the game that you want to be playing for the majority of people.
Speaker 4: If you don't not plan to.
Speaker 5: Spend a lot of time studying companies, listening to earning statements. If that is not what you're interested in, look into index funds, look into the ETFs and index fund or ETFs. You could think of it kind of like a group of stocks of fund that invests in a bunch of companies. So if you just want to be involved in the stock market, there are funds that literally give you exposure to the top five hundred companies in the stock market. So now instead of if you're trying to go out and find the number one company, you can just invest in this fund that gives your exposure to the general stock market. So now, if the stock market goes up, your fund goes up. The stock market goes down, your fund goes down. But what we've seen again and again and again is that over the long run, the stock market and strong companies go up. And if you're not interested in doing all that research and trying to find the best companies just invest in one of these fun because now it's doing it for you.
Speaker 1: So so what you're saying is I'm right, and YE want to confirm that because I.
Speaker 3: Want to play in that SI.
Speaker 2: So my question is, so where do you go for financial education? You know the financial educator? It's like what does the doctor go when they're sick? So where do you go to learn when you're when you're learning when new things come out or something you don't understand? Like what are what are your go to platforms?
Speaker 5: There's a lot of great resources on the internet, like one of my go to sites if you're talking about the stock market, particularly like seeking Alpha is great, uh Financed Yahoo, just to like I love reading books and I love kind of just learning about companies. Like right now I'm reading one of Warren Buffet's biographies. It's very interesting just to kind of not necessarily just stock books, but learning kind of the way some of these great investors think and just learning from them and then really just studying a company. You know, there's every three months a company has to release a statement where they go over how much money they're making with the plan on doing, what their valuations? You know, what are they doing with their money? Where's all the cash going? And a lot of times, most of the times we skip over that because we read the headlines, Oh, Tesla made a lot of money or Tesla loss money. Right, that's all we see. But if you go into the actual earning statements and you read the transcript and you read the forms that these companies file, which you can do, they're more boring, but you can actually see what is going on with the company and what is their real revenue, what is their real income, what is their real loss, And then you can come up with your own calculations to see, Okay, this company is making a hundred million dollars actually based off of what I see, and they're being valued at ten billion dollars.
Speaker 4: Is this a good investment? Yes or no?
Speaker 5: And so it's kind of coming up with what do you think is a good value and what is it that you want to invest in?
Speaker 1: Over time, as you've developed your financial philosophy. The minority mindset as you say, I mean, you acknowledged that you didn't have a ton of education, and Tiffany's maybe in the minority because she had such a great financial coach in her dad. But even so, the Great Recession for Tiff and I both kind of had a We were both like in our own ways, a little afraid of going through what we went through our personal financial losses after the recession, And so I think safe to say Tif that we both held on to some cash. Yeah maybe beyond like yeah, maybe beyond like the six month mark. And I wanted to talk to you, like, what's your Have you had to overcome any mindsets that were maybe hurting you financially where you maybe a little conservative in the beginning, or have you always kind of you know, just learned and approached investing differently, Because for a lot of people, especially now, the majority will look at the stock market what happened back in the spring, you know, March and April and be like, oh shit, like get me out of here, this is crazy. Yeah, So to talk about that, if you don't mind.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, the saving thing I I six months. I tell a lot of it was the goal, and I try to tell people to cap it. Like Indians tend to be super saviors to a lot of my friends are kind of fall under that boat. I know a lot of people that make a lot of money, and this save every penny that they can. So they're saving like seventy eighty percent of their income and they have three four five years worth of expenses saved in their bank account just sitting there. And this is way past the FDIC limit.
Speaker 4: So you know, I must be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, noymore, I'm better now. I have a financial planner. That's cheesy, is Indian shout out to any but yeah, I'm better now.
Speaker 3: But that was so me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know it's it's better than blowing all that money, right. But what I try to tell people is, you know, you can do a lot better and take low risks if you you know, you once you learn about how investing works, you can kind of get a better feel of it. So I used to have a lot of money in the market, and I made a video on this earlier this year, like back in it was actually in February, where I talked about how I was selling a lot of stuff just because sometimes, you know.
Speaker 4: Things do feel like a low, little overheated.
Speaker 5: Now this is completely lucky, Like you know, I talked about this, This was like one hundred percent luck. I did not predict a crash or did not predict a pandemic. This was like completely luck. In February, I was like, you know, I've made a lot of money over the last few years in the stock market, so I'm selling right now because a lot of things are really high, evaluations are really high, and it's just a good time to take some money off the table.
Speaker 4: And that's okay.
Speaker 5: You know what I tell people, when it comes to saving and investing, your investment money doesn't always have to be invested, Like cash is an investment position as well. It's just knowing that this is money that you want to invest that you're you know, looking for an opportunity. I like real estate. I haven't bought real estate in a while because I'm waiting for an opportunity.
Speaker 4: So I have cash that I'm waiting to invest, and you know.
Speaker 5: It goes beyond my saving goals, but it's it's my investment money that I'm waiting to invest.
Speaker 4: So that's kind of like what I've developed over the years.
Speaker 5: And I think I used to be a lot riskier when I was younger, when I was first getting started, because at that point, I was like, Wow, what do I have to lose? So I'm just going all in everywhere I can, because for me, it was just like, you know what, this is my time to learn, this is my time to go all in with everything. Now, you know, I'm still willing to take risk, but I'm definitely a little bit more conservative and I do a lot more research now than I used to before. I was more of a doer before thinking at all. Now I'm still a doer, but I do spend a little bit more time thinking before I trying to make those moves.
Speaker 1: So you cleaned out your investments in February, lucky, and then what did you get back in once things started to go like what what did Yeah? What what did you do? Because I think there were folks who were it's that financial double dutch again, which is I don't know if you're familiar with double dutch. It's kind of fun.
Speaker 3: I know double Dutch. I don't know if you even watched.
Speaker 2: Like when girls jump into the road, they do this like bobbing back and forth, trying to figure out the perfect time to jump into you. You're literally rocking back and forth. So it's like, yeah, so it's a good analogy to getting into the market.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I did.
Speaker 5: I talked about this on YouTube that I do this kind of like drip investing, where I buy in phases. Now, I'm not the greatest stock market investor out there. One of our partners AKA, who does a lot of our stock market teaching, he is like, he taught me a lot about the stock market. I learned a lot from him. But I do what I call drip investing. So when the stock market falls, that's when I come in and buy, and I buy in phases. So every time it falls ten to fifteen percent, I buy. If it falls more, I buy more, and so I kind of just buy those phases. So when it was falling, I was just buying the whole way down, and then I did sell a little bit a few months later because the stock market recovered so fast that it was like, this is kind of crazy, how fast the stock market is recovering. So, you know, that's kind of what I've been doing with in terms of the stock market. I still haven't really bought much real estate or at all. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on in the real estate market.
Speaker 1: Where are you buying real estate? I don't even know where you're based. I'm in Michigan, Michigan Okay, so that's and do you have are you investing in real estate close by so you kind of know the area?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, a lot of it is in the state. So just trying to wait on opportunities. I mean, I'm a big value ad investor. I love finding distressed real estate, whether it's financially distressed or physically distressed, but just waiting on a deal.
Speaker 1: That's to a fixer rupper basically, yeah, I love fixer rubbers.
Speaker 2: I'm working on my first fixture upper right now, so I'm excited to see.
Speaker 4: Like what, Oh, that's awesome, muse.
Speaker 2: I was like, you know what, I feel like my first kind of jount into investing was really investing by growing up business because I was scared of investing traditionally since I had that scam. And then I got my financial planner and she really helped to like pry open my cold dead hands.
Speaker 3: Around my money.
Speaker 2: So because I had enough, I had so much save that the house I'm living in now, I paid for it in cash and renovated in cash, and paid off my parents' house in cash, and paid off my student loans in cash. And but there was but not really because she was like Tiffany, you have enough last your lifetime. You need to invest some of this money. So you know, I did that. But then so the real estate property that I bought, it's a tax deed from the city where I live in New Jersey, and so it was ten thousand dollars, which is awesome, and it needed.
Speaker 3: About one hundred and fifty thousand dollars worth of work.
Speaker 2: But the homes around their goal for about two twenty five and they're building a new train station that goes directly to New York City, like around the corner. Yeah, so I'm like, yeah, I cannot wait to see this, to see We're looking now, I'm stacking money to look same as you, to see if there's like another opportunity to purchase something. Because my angelie, my financial planner, said, you've already you know, you've hit your goal for the year as far as setting aside for retirement and just investing for wealth with her, and so now she just suggested that we start to for the rest of the year put the rest away to purchase real estate when we felt the time was right. So that's what my husband and I are doing now. But yeah, did you have I mean, I never would have thought I would have had a financial planner, So I guess that's my question. Do you have someone? I mean, I know you have Ak. I love him too because I watch his channel. He's a little wilder than you, but he's still funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's really smart.
Speaker 4: He's like edgy, but he's really smart.
Speaker 3: So is that your go to?
Speaker 2: Or do you have like a formal because I know Mandy has someone her name is Helen, that kind of guides her through the things that she doesn't know. Do you have like a go to aside from him, that guide you through the things that you don't know financially.
Speaker 4: In different areas.
Speaker 5: Yes, So not like one kind of go to financial planner in that sense, But you know, people I have like Ak is who I go to In the stock market. I have a few friends who are I mean absolutely killing it.
Speaker 4: In real estate.
Speaker 5: I have a couple of people, not many in the entrepreneur business space that I talked to, but mainly in the real estate and stock market space. Do I have people that kind of bounced ideas off of and talked to about what's going on And a couple of brokers in the area that are really really active in the real estate market.
Speaker 1: What do you have So you mentioned investing on the side so that you can use that money to purchase potentially income properties. What's your investing strategy when it comes to saving for real estate because if you're looking for opportunities, you know, you don't know when this will pop up, so you need to be liquid enough. So I'm curious.
Speaker 5: So kind of like what I was saying before, right, I have my savings cash, which is just savings, and then I have my investment money, which not all that money is always invested. Cash is a position, and so I have cash that I have waiting to invest. So that's that's kind of my real estate that I'm waiting to buy real estate that's just kind of sitting there. Yeah, it's not growing right now, it's losing value to inflation. But this is money that I'm kind of you know, I have ready because when if real estate prices come down, I want to be there and I want to be the ones that's ready to buy without any questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can't all be, sister Carol. But did she buy? She bought like fifteen her dollars worth of and paid so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she she actually like she loves investing in the market and she can pick them, so she's an engineer by trade.
Speaker 3: Told her my parents were happy with her.
Speaker 2: But she she told me about Tesla years ago and she brought it when it was thirty dollars a share.
Speaker 4: Wow, she was like, you should, you should.
Speaker 2: This is a company called Tesla, and I was like yeah, nah, and then like and then the next year Thanksgiving, she was like, it's gone up. It's like a hundred dollars a share or whatever it was. And I was still like, no, not interested. So at the time she brought like fifteen hundred dollars worth and yeah, so she ended up like selling it though I forget whatever it was. But she ended up selling it to pay for her wedding and she put in fifteen hundred and got out thirty thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: So wow, that's an amazing return.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so but now I listened to her because she told me about Shopify, for example, when it was like I think it was iping, and she was like, I think it's a good stock.
Speaker 3: I've been doing my research.
Speaker 2: And I was like, okay, I bought Shopify at how much did I buy it for? I think one hundred and forty dollars a share. It's over a thousand dollars right now. But wow, my stingy self bought three share something like ah dang.
Speaker 3: Said a lot more. But yeah.
Speaker 2: So she's kind of like my my ak because she will do the research and she she loves like stocks. But I just, you know, I just don't have the capacity or really the interest in doing all the research. So I'm mostly like an index mutual fun person, unless you know, she's like, there's a stock. I've been doing this research for the last three years. I really like them. And then we for once all listen. But I have like a random question for you. Do you get like spotted in the streets, like I.
Speaker 5: Hat you're just great?
Speaker 4: A few times here and there.
Speaker 5: Not so much now during COVID, but uh, every once in a while it would.
Speaker 4: It was funny. I never thought of myself kind of as a celebrity.
Speaker 5: I still don't, which is like, but it's so so weird when like I'll be like going somewhere with my family or my friends and somebody will kind of just come up to you and.
Speaker 4: Be like, hey, are you just freak? And I'm like yeah, It's like it's funny.
Speaker 5: It's amazing because I love connecting with people, you know, our own fans and audience. It's just like, I just never ever thought of myself. I still don't think of myself as kind of like a celebrity in any way, you know. So it's just like I'm just like, look, man, I'm just like you man, it's you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Just with like one hundred million more people, they're gonna.
Speaker 2: Be watching it even more now. I'm telling you, like we have been singing your praises.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that you are also now.
Speaker 2: When Mandy said that we have Jess breedon, I was like, are you are you toying with me?
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And then when I told my sister, I mean humble Brake, I just emailed him and he like emails.
Speaker 3: When I told Carol, my my my stock trading sister, she was like, no way, no way, no way. I was like, I know, you know, I'm telling you now.
Speaker 2: Even like I said, my three year old niece Amelia was like, Jess break I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, yes, a million.
Speaker 4: So you guys are so sweet now.
Speaker 2: But honestly, you just like I said, it's to me, there needs to be more representation in financial education, and so it was just good to.
Speaker 3: See someone who looked different.
Speaker 2: I think it's important for people to see themselves and the people that they're learning from. And so I just honestly, I don't know how for so long because Mandy and I are part of like this like kind of like brown coalition of financial like educators, and.
Speaker 3: I'm like, how do we not know about Joss Free until recently? Because I make it my business?
Speaker 2: Yes, because I think, like I said, I think I think representation is important because what it's I think traditionally in financial education, black and brown communities are left out of the financial conversation and it's mostly pushed like savings and budgeting, which is good, you know, but sometimes this next level financial education we don't really get access to. So I think it's important that you know that people who look different, people who sound different, people who have different names, Like but I don't even use my African name because no one can say it properly, and so I'm just calling Tiffany it's Adochi, which.
Speaker 4: Is not that hard adote like that's awesome, and so.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think that it's so representation in this space is so important because it means that everyone gets to learn, everyone gets to have a say, and and everyone gets to like to reach and being powered.
Speaker 3: So no, we just really thank you.
Speaker 5: No, thank you guys for having Thank you too for having me that it was. This is an amazing call and I love what you two are doing. This is a much needed financial education is so needed, especially.
Speaker 4: Now more than ever.
Speaker 5: I mean, our whole kind of society, our whole education system is good. But at the end of the day, if you do not know how to manage and master your money, doesn't matter what you do. You know, if you can have the best job in the world, but if you're struggling to pay your bills, you are it's just not you know, you're not fully there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, just Breed, thank you so much for coming on b a minority Minds at the Minority Minds at dot com folks find him on YouTube. Subscribe right now and you also have a great insta. Yes, is that the minority mindset too?
Speaker 4: It is in this minority mindset.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and real quick for our final question, if I can just call it the final question. I don't know Tiffany might want to talk to you for like, no, no, no, no, few hours because I've done enough.
Speaker 3: I've done enough, but.
Speaker 1: I have You know, we talk about success and investing in all these things, but you know, what's your long what's your happy like? What's your picture of yourself in the future twenty thirty years on the line, What is just bret and retirement look like? And what are you working toward?
Speaker 4: Uh? Well, continuing working in this financial space. I love.
Speaker 5: I love the financial space, but also I'm really interested in the venture capital space.
Speaker 4: I love working with entrepreneurs.
Speaker 5: So maybe something kind of a blend between the two, working with entrepreneurs, helping fund entrepreneurs fuel their dreams and kind of working with them too, So something in that space.
Speaker 1: I love that. Okay, so one day we'll get those socks, but maybe someone will. Yes, exactly, it's your VC funding, all right, Jeffree, thank you so so much. Y'all go follow just free the minority mindset.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Mandra I had need a call drink.
Speaker 1: How you got that speed stick somewhere nearby?
Speaker 3: Honestly, yeah, this is yes, I do.
Speaker 2: He's just like, like I said, to find somebody who it's like I feel like Jeff Brie is like the budgete Stowe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the budgete Sto.
Speaker 3: Oh that's funny.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, and it's you know, the fact that he focuses on the mindset is great because I feel like we talked about that a lot. Just how you know, what's holding us back is really the knowledge, access to the knowledge, and then understanding how to you know, move forward with that knowledge in mind and not let your emotions kind of get in the way. But yeah, I love him. You guys got to check out just Bread the minority mindset, and I feel like, look out for Tiffany and just Breed's co authored book coming forthcoming. I don't know, I feel like.
Speaker 2: A party, we can to do something, even if it's just a live or something, because I just feel like that Dreamcatchers need to get to know Jasper.
Speaker 1: I feel like, dare I say they will, but I'm right to round out the show. Do you want to do a quick brown boost, brown break?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not gonna lie. I am not prepared.
Speaker 2: Well you know what, No, I do want to do a brown unfortunately, a brown break.
Speaker 3: I hate to bring bring down the good times, but.
Speaker 1: Bring us down, bring us up, don't worry.
Speaker 3: No, good because I.
Speaker 2: Was on the IG and someone had posted I'm like, is this real life where our current administration has He's banned federal agencies from conducting racial sensitivity related to white privilege and criminal race theory that he feels that it's divisive and anti American propaganda. Can you imagine? And I just I was like, we are living in like really scary times. And when I saw that, I was like, oh my god. And so I'm just telling people like, honestly, please do not take your vote for granted. We need you to vote. We need you to submit your you know, your your your ballad via mail or go and line up to vote. I mean, I just we can't live like this and don't just vote. Consider becoming a poll worker. It's extremely easy and the I just signed up. I sent them like an email every day like please, I want to be a pollworker.
Speaker 1: In New York. You submit an email to you know, your local Board of Elections or whatnot, and it's all you do is like one short training I feel like maybe an in person or virtual training, and you actually get paid for it. I don't know how much it is everywhere, but in New York it's three hundred and fifty dollars for the day. I was a little bit gutted though, because I actually can't do it. And here's why. They require you to stand up and work from five am until after the polls close, which here in New York is nine pm. Excuse me, Like, where's do I bring the baby and just feed him?
Speaker 3: Like at the pole's what's happening?
Speaker 1: It's impossible for me, so and I understand, but I really was desperate to work as a poll worker because there's a shortage because with COVID, you know, because of the hours. And now I understand this, a lot of the people who are poll workers are older and they are not coming out in droves like they usually do because they're afraid of catching COVID. Who can blame them, But that just means we need people to work as poll workers. So if you're available and if you can work those hours. Maybe it's not that way everywhere, but I was genuinely shocked, and I even emailed her back, say five am to nine to win. No, they don't letch. They wouldn't let me do like a short shift or whatever. So I'm super bummed that I can't be a poll worker. But if you can show up, and here's why it matters. This summer, when we were it was a primaries here in our in our area, the line for the polls was insane. My husband went out there for four or five hours standing and that's because due to the shortage of poll workers, they have decreased the number of polling locations, so we went from like sixty places to vote to five. And that means people are like, if people have to wait in that long line, if they have babies at home, like I did, I had to go home to my child. I didn't vote in the primary. I don't want that to happen. So if you can show up, volunteer work as a pollwork or whatever you can and help make sure people are able to cast their vote. And if you if you can't do that, at least tell people that they can vote early and help them, you know, figure all that out. Just google your state vote early and figure out how to request about it.
Speaker 3: Exactly, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: I haven't done that in a while. Shout out to Maguell, my husband, my sister's husband. Yeah, no, I think that hot child. I mean, I'm not gonna lie. There's a lot of stress bubbling, but I am hopeful that we will pull through and we will be okay.
Speaker 3: Just gotta knat it.
Speaker 1: Till a third of November, y'all. Exactly. I mean we had death freed on, so I mean I think we can make it happy regardless of what happened. You know, folks like just free give me hope for the future. Yes, you know, but but but still can we vote though? Can we get this Will out of office? That'll be nice?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I'll do my brown boost, well one big brown boost to anyone who's working the polls this year, but also brown boost prom boost to Tia and Mary to Marrow Mawori. Can we just talk about Sister Sister for one second, which is on Netflix? Please enjoy it. That show is still so good, like twenty something years later. I can't believe how hilarious. Come on, go home. Oh man, I just am so so good. The writing is so on point. Jackie Jackie, Yes, Harry, yep, Harry, and then Tim Reid and then Marquise Houston or Marquez. I don't know how you say his name, but whatever, I'm.
Speaker 3: Well Marcus, super simple, Marcus.
Speaker 1: It's not Marcis.
Speaker 3: I know that's it's very brownish, but it's all hilarious.
Speaker 1: There's so funny, and this is the show. I'm just like, man, I miss black TV. I'm glad that shows like this. I feels like it feels like Netflix is going out of its way to put more black you know, black lead shows on their on their platform, which is you know, why didn't I till now? But whatever, they're doing it now. So I just if you haven't, if you want to go back to your to your youth, go watch sister, sister. I promise you will not regret it. It's still larious and it's Alice. You'll Milda, sister sister, I never knew how much I missed you. I'm trying to wait till they're college, till they go to college, because that's when they did the new theme song and it was like sexy and grown up and stuff. Yeah, I know, my own time, on my own time, all right, I gotta go. I really am okay a great.
Speaker 3: So what episode number is this?
Speaker 1: This is well, okay, this is two thirty three, y'all. Two thirty three okay, which is insane. We've done over two hundred shows that's crazy. All right, y'all, we'll catch us next week. Enjoy your interview with Jess Breet. Let us know how you feel about it. Leave us a comment on iTunes, leave us a review, Hit us up on Instagram. We're at The Brown Ambition Podcast on Instagram, or you can email us at wait what what's our email? At the BA podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Yes, so he can tag me and like directly at the budget, e Steve, You're like, girl, you was fanning out.
Speaker 3: I'm okay with it, Superman, I'm okay with it.
Speaker 1: He was fine with it. Who doesn't want to be fond over by your budget? Nesta attatatatatastasattattattattat