Speaker 1: Look Mayer, Oh, I see you my own look over there is that culture. Yes, goodness, lost culture ding Dong, Lost Culturista's calling. We are excited today because we can break news to the guests.
Speaker 2: Unless oh no, there's no way. She already knows.
Speaker 1: No, she doesn't know because the Cultural Awards haven't aired yet when we're recording this. But by now they've recorded, so you know, but our guest doesn't know.
Speaker 2: What our guest doesn't know. Our guests was nominated for Album of the Year, Worst Girl in America. The album that's out now that you are celebrating in the streets and in the gutters and on the rooftops of wherever you are, ever you are. Worst gol in America is this year's Lost Cultureista's Culture Award.
Speaker 1: Album of the Year winner. So nominations in the category, they said there might be vote splitting.
Speaker 2: And because the other Jim I love her Old Tusca too. It was like tubal parent Paris is really good.
Speaker 3: But it was also like in the other stuff and it's a good like segue.
Speaker 1: To the other Bowen Yang, you said, you specifically said you want to bring our guests in.
Speaker 2: I do well, Uh works going to America tour sold out, s owed world, come on World, and got She's so cool. We caught her seat at Coachella. Yes, fucking three pm. The vibes are in the fucking gutter. It's a you're gonna it's a rush. We saw Slater three pm on Friday. We were like, Okay, the girls are hitting and it was and never came back up. No I'm gonna say, and then no, not really.
Speaker 1: The festival had a highlight early.
Speaker 2: It was just like you, like, man, you kicked it off into this and she well, she's a goodie two shoes.
Speaker 1: She really follower rule follower.
Speaker 2: She's never done drugs in her life. No, that's a quote from Hollywood. And I still haven't and you still haven't.
Speaker 1: Good for you.
Speaker 3: Do you have some? I'd love to try it right now.
Speaker 1: We can figure out some drugs. Can you just grab some grab some drugs.
Speaker 3: And I've decided I'm going to do my drug debut here today.
Speaker 1: All that and on this episode of Last Coach, please fucking welcome. So excited you're here.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited to be here. Thank you for having me. What an intro Holy.
Speaker 1: Shit Album of the Year winner. Do you want to give a speech.
Speaker 2: I give a speech.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. I would like to thank you guys for bestowing this honor on men. I would like to think your academy, it's us. I would like to thank all my friends and producers, and I also, you know, shout out to being double nominated for my other stuff. That's a great way in too, and the older.
Speaker 2: Things and yeah, and the older things. Wait, how how much of the older things are you playing in the in the sets lately?
Speaker 3: None?
Speaker 1: None, because we're still was a story.
Speaker 2: I feel like a lot of artists are doing that where they just want the unit of the of the work to live on its own.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean if there's if there's like porous places for like the old stuff to come in, then great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But like god, that's that's such a fucking good story. Like that album start to finish for to end on Brittany Murphy is just like WHOA like that? The statement is so clear and like I was reading The Boiler, thank you, thank your people and your team for sending us the Boiler, because there was one line in it that really struck me. And I'm sure you agree with this because you had to approve but it was like after being like wrongly categorized as like a hyper pop girl and like I don't know, like I think, and there were there were other sort of labels that like would have been attributed to you in the past, but now it's like no, no, no, like I'm not these things, and the authentic thing is actually like the iPod from my teenage years. Yeah, on the internet, like like that was the end, Like you agree with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I never understood. I feel like I was never in that scene and that like kind of internet microtrend genre terminology was like kind of put which I understand. I feel like my visuals were very bright and it was very like you know, glitchy at ish music. But I just never I never felt like I fit into that category. And I feel like even with this album, it might feel experimental, but I approach it from a very like traditional like I wanted to make like long songs. I wanted to do long like a long soul wax intro that takes like a minute to like cook up, you know. And I think I just never felt like hyper popish. I just was like I just feel like I had artists. I don't even like the word pop star that like freaks me out.
Speaker 1: I know, I just feel like, well, because the thing about this album in particular is it truly defies categorization because every genre is on it. And I also feel like when something is called hyper hoop that makes to feel very specific. But this is like it's so much going on and your vocals are crazy, and I feel like there's connotation with hyper pop where there's like it isn't right to call you that because there's some idea that like the vocal isn't like present and forward and hyper pop, but your vocals are insane, Like going from like scream o to like you and your coolie pop moment, Like I just perform in that live must be crazy. And I wonder how you like even train your muscles.
Speaker 2: To do that?
Speaker 3: Is I kind of like I just kind of hope and pray you gotta. I feel like, no, I've been warming up a lot more than I ever have. Yeah, and like taking the vocal resting very seriously. I'm like, I love vocalists. I love like the art of singing, and people that like actually treat it like an athlete would treat their sport, you know what I mean, Like it's I I really have read a lot about it. I I feel like I've tried to learn a lot about like what my voice can do, and this album was a lot about tapping into different like voices or like screaming, but also hitting like operatic register the highest that I can, trying out different things. And so I feel like preparing for this tour, I'm just like I'm gonna be silent like the whole time, with like a dry erase board, being.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, help help, that's so though, Yeah, to carry around the dry erase board just this is what I need and want right now.
Speaker 3: But I'm so not like that I'm gonna feel like such an asshole. Also, I'm like, talk a lot your gabber I am a chatty kathy. Yeah yeah, yeah, So she shut the fuck up for like a tour is like I can't do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like it speaks to the gosh for me. I'm gonna say it's high school because that's like iPod yeah, down, Tumblr, tumbler.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the first time someone vocal arrested was that I saw someone vocal rest was the lead of our school musical and I was like, what is she doing that's okay.
Speaker 3: No, if it's really extra and a high schoo musical to be.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, get out of here playing cam by Verdi Brenda Brenda.
Speaker 1: Isn't it perfect?
Speaker 2: Though? Like like this is the ship that like we if you were a theater kid in high school, you would have you would have done that if you were cast as Dolly and Hello Dolly at the age of fifteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I.
Speaker 2: Really because it's so refreshing to have that framed as like, uh, have it framed as iPod music or that old technology speaks to it because it's like it's an algorithm, it's analgorithmized or whatever. Yeah, it's it's not it is not trendy. It is this convocation of all these things. Yeah, like what it's.
Speaker 3: Just a Frankensteining of everything that I love and listen to, you know on my Like I feel like iPods. I really have a love for old technology quite literally. I just I hate convenience. That quote of convenience being a killer. I find it to be so true because everything has become so easy. Everything is at your disposal, every genre of music, every song you've ever wanted to listen to. You can just google it, pull it up and like it's there. Yeah, And like with an iPod, you had to be so intentional. Sometimes it wouldn't even be all of my music and be like my sisters like she would like download like something from like I don't know, Low Wayne, or like Lady Gaga just danced. She like downloaded that and that's when I heard that for the first time. And it would all be on your iPod and you'd go to school and you wouldn't have anything else clouding it. It would just be what was on that device. And I feel like that's what this album kind of feels like. It's just like you can kind of listen to it all the way through. It's not really trying to be one thing. The writing is a little wacky, like it doesn't really feel like the you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's not like it's like when the algorithm boils everything down to essentially a sound because it hears you listening to it and enjoying it, Like you can't look back at what you've listened to and be like that's who I am, you know, like with an iPod playlist back in the day, I bet if any went out there like went back to what they were putting together at like thirteen fourteen fifteen off like fucking Kazah or like nap Store even or whatever, like that's actually who you are, like the mix of Like I remember I would download like some performances from like American Idol that.
Speaker 3: Like YouTube rips.
Speaker 1: Yes, YouTube rips. When I learned how to do that, it was over. But then it would be like random, like like Queen songs and.
Speaker 3: Like, oh my gosh, everyone had Bohemian raapsdy on their iPod.
Speaker 2: One that song and everyone learned the damn words. But like I don't, like, do we think that it's more embarrassing to like look at have your algorithms steer back at you, like these are the songs you like? Or is it more embarrassing to like look through your old stuff on your iPod where it's like, oh god, like the soundtrack to like Annie is on this Like I don't know.
Speaker 3: I know, I don't think that anything anyone likes they should be like made to feel embarrassed by. I had like Legally Blonde soundtrack on my like the musical soundtrack the Best movie Hello. I had like the MTV rip Tom and like showed it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, Gayer European. I was like, well that is that is a funny.
Speaker 1: We know him. What we know Gayer European his name is And I actually lived in No literally I subleted his apartment. That's how small the like fagatory world is. Yeah, I know the guy who was gay.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, like like like because I was then going to ask, like, what are the most embarrassing songs? Were the most embarrassing songs on the iPod?
Speaker 3: I have no shame, like none of it embarrasses me. But like I don't know, I'm like of the age where like I loved I had like Cheetah girls on my iPod.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I still listen.
Speaker 3: I would still listen to like Hannah Montana and all that.
Speaker 1: Now girls cheated sisters. That's a sister her that.
Speaker 3: Doesn't you have to start like you mean it.
Speaker 1: Ashley Simpson just played We Hope Pride, and I was like, wow, I bet Pete that's going to be packed because I remember when I was in high school, especially like you know what I mean, like just because she was like the Simpsons sister that was a little fucked even though she wasn't actually punk like people smoke a segue exactly like my hair's dark. It's a little in my face just alone. Yeah, yeah, I'm a bad ass, but like that ship I used to do that was on my iPod next to like Patti LaBelle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's the beauty of the human experience. You like whatever you want and there's no shame. People need to just like like what they like and like and also like read, like read the room on things. I feel like everyone is so like wanting to be I don't know, it's just too like you like, no one should feel cringed out by what they like, because what you like is what you like. What's wrong with that? You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what is your experience with that transition though, because suddenly it's like it's giving prestige. They're trying to say, and I'm people here, people that have been here have been like, yes, she's brilliant. But the thing is, like it there is a moment happening now where you're they are trying to like guild you a little bit.
Speaker 3: You know, it is interesting everything since Coachella has changed so crazy. That was like the specific moment where everything changed and now it's very it kind of went like obviously I've been doing this for a while, but almost overnight it went from kind of like being like the like opener for a lot of tours are being like kind of someone that is like in this underground like tanking, Like all of a sudden, everyone's.
Speaker 2: Like you're the girl, You're the girl.
Speaker 3: You're the girl.
Speaker 2: Now you're like fuck you, Like I was the girl. I was here all along.
Speaker 3: No, I mean that I would never want to have that attitude, just because if this is the project that resonates with people, yeah that's okay. I like it the most of my efforts, so like if they don't like my past stuff, like that's fine. And also like I don't know, sometimes people are just not tapped in. I feel like I like love finding like underground artists and like smaller artists. Some people like it takes a minute for like they need something to pop for it to like fall into their lap. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what off of the singles before the album gave you that hint that this would be like the body of work.
Speaker 3: I honestly the I think beat Up Chanelle is like the very first single. The response for that that was like the first song I was putting out with like Records in Columbia. I was like, it was the first like video I did with them. I was like, this could go one or two ways. This is either gonna like be received well or like we're getting d worded dropped like so, but like I don't know. I didn't want to think of it like that, But as soon as it came out, everyone was like, whoa, this sound like this is so weird. It's like so different and I haven't heard anything like it, And people responded to it really well and really loved the video and felt like nostalgia. Like I just could tell that people were connecting with it in like a meaningful way, and yeah.
Speaker 2: There's a rawas to it that like I want these nice things, but I also want the stickiest weed. Yeah I want I want a cigarette rat rat rat rat Yeah, yeah, I want vintage sealines. Like it's like, yeah, it doesn't fucking matter. I just want the things that I want. Yeah, I don't know like it because you're right, like.
Speaker 3: It has very stone Missouri teenager that like, which I feel like I've been that who doesn't really know anything about designer what they're talking about, but they're like I want like vintage selem Man. Yeah, and I want like I want grills because I used to say that and then when I like got into music and I like had I like custom made like grills, and I was like this so dumb?
Speaker 2: What am I doing? But it's like but it's like it's other St. Lou Saint Louis legend. Like it's like you're following in like Nelly's.
Speaker 3: Footsteps, hometown hero.
Speaker 2: So like I want to say that Saint Louis is like really popping the funk off right now.
Speaker 3: I love to see it.
Speaker 2: You feel that way.
Speaker 3: I do, like.
Speaker 2: You, Nikky Glazer. I want to say, like John Haw Andy Cohen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like there's some real there's some real Saint Louis Royalty.
Speaker 1: Saint Louis Is. You know, we're gonna have to We're gonna have to visit the arc.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to visit the arc. Yeah, Like what is it about? Like what's what's stone Missouri? Teen Slater giving beside Stoned Teen.
Speaker 3: I've said this a lot, but I was very cookie monster pajama pants girl.
Speaker 1: I almost wore my cookie Monster sir, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like my hair would be like in one of these bugs. Yes, and I would be like chewing. I would be like high, and I would like I would me and my I like hair and my mouth. Sorry. My friends would like drive around and my friend group was like me, another girl and like two gay guys, and we would like listen to like art pop and smoke weed and like, yeah, all the popular girls loved us because like if they were fighting with their popular friends with their boyfriend, they'd be like, oh my god, they're gonna like they're gonna like smoke me out. We can like drive around and listen to like Lana, Yes, And then they would like let us go to the parties because we'd like have the you know, we like we'd steal liquor bottles, we'd have weeds.
Speaker 1: So they'd be like, yeah, yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: It was a very like we all like helped each other out.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, the ecosystem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was no hierarchy. We all like we all had our checks and balances, we like, you know.
Speaker 1: In the political system.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean not that we even like have a sense of what high schools are like now, but it's like there was this more like everyone like coexisting back in the day. Yeah, Like I think it was like, yeah, there's the higher keys, aren't there? Because it was like, god, you I gotta imagine that being a kid now of social media age means that like things are governed by like numbers, you know what I mean by like by like follower counts.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what brought actually a lot of people in high school together actually was the iPod of it all, like the the like I remember being on the bus to like cross country meets and like someone would have made like something to play on the on the back of the bus, and it will just be like you would find out that someone had this niche, cool interest. Like I remember at the time, like I didn't really in middle school, I didn't know queen, Like my parents didn't expose it to me. But then like seeing all these like kids I was on like a team with no every single word already to every single song. Yeah, you know, just that was an exposure. And I just wonder if there's enough like I don't know, but wild cards in the playlist now where people are like having that whiplash in terms of like the experience with each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, because now what's going on is we consume something, We watch something, and then like the immediate urge, whether it's like a movie or an album or a book, is to like see what other people think about it. Yeah, does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I get people do do that, but I so don't know.
Speaker 2: You don't, I don't, But it's this let me see, like is this the right thing to like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah I have.
Speaker 2: And I feel like what I was asking you earlier about people using you now is this like index is like I literally pulled up a video, just a video it shows up on my algerithm the other day where it's about you, and it's just like scholarly person and.
Speaker 3: Like scholarly who knows people use big words? And it's like do that you know?
Speaker 1: It's like if you don't, or you must be like uh like expert, you must be a doctor, he must be at it's just so wild, like some of these guys are like, here's what I really didn't like about what Olivia Rodrigo was doing.
Speaker 2: If you have.
Speaker 3: And there's no there's no sense on that song, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: But it's one of these neck beards being like so when Slater is talking about sucking him off in the elevator. She's really talking about this out there, and I'm like, I think she's just talking about.
Speaker 3: Sucking I think I'm I think I met what I said.
Speaker 1: I think I met what I said, Like, you.
Speaker 3: Know, in life, we're all sucking someone off in the elevator capitalism, And I'm like, I met what I saw.
Speaker 2: Because I think that's because because Crank has the best lyric of the year to me, Thank Richard, Richard, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: We need to link later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, because my name is from like days and confused. Yes, later. So it's like, yeah, there's like a lot, there's a lot going on in that line, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that movie.
Speaker 2: And now a vital break from our sponsor, Vital Proteins.
Speaker 1: You know the blue tub You've probably seen everywhere. That's vital proteins. Collagen peptides. Now why use them.
Speaker 2: Because they're the experts, the number one collagen brand in the US. I'm talking about ingredients backed by science and shown to be effective.
Speaker 1: I mean, when we hit about age thirty, our bodies naturally produce less collagen, and collagen has a lot of benefits. A lot collagen peptides are as simple well in the supplement that supports healthy hair, skin, nails, and bones and best of all, joints.
Speaker 2: And it's easy to use. Add a serving to whatever you're already drinking. Morning coffee, afternoon tea, daily, smoothie, weekly, whatever.
Speaker 1: I use Vital Proteins Collagen every morning. I just mix it into my coffee or smoothie. It's super easy and it's become a simple part of my daily routine.
Speaker 2: But however you do it, consistency is the key. It's crazy how something so effective is so easy.
Speaker 1: And right now you can get twenty percent off your next order by going to Vitalproteins dot com and using promo code lost CULTURISTUS twenty. That's lost Culturistas to zero.
Speaker 2: At check out huge thanks again to our sponsor, Vital Proteins.
Speaker 1: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 2: I thought you said it was proven by science.
Speaker 1: I never said that. I just said it was good.
Speaker 3: But like I feel like you do have good tastes, I do, but I think that no taste could be good or bad. Like I feel like everyone just likes what they like, and like when I see something that I don't like, or like I see like visuals that I don't like, or I watch a movie that I don't like, someone probably loves it. Yeah, Sometimes like that someone is like my mom, Like, I don't want to be mean if she like loves she watches some shows that I think are really terrible, and that's okay, she loves it, and I'm not better than her because I like, yeah, have a cooler show that I watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No. I also think superiority is a very unattractive quality, Like some people just pop off and call things bad and stuff like recently, like you know, there's like I feel like a lot of people are like with Charlie's new era, right like people are very like, oh this is different, this isn't Brat and you you even see her coming out and being like, hey, listen, a lot of you that like became fans of me during Brat. You may not like music, fashion film, and that's fine. This is what I'm fucking doing. This is where I'm moving. But there is like whenever I saw someone coming out and be like rap music is a bad song, and I'm like, how fucking dare you a and be? That's like such a crazy nasty thing to stand behind and put out there like you are now the face of superiority in this way, and I just that would drive me nuts.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, people love to you know, chatter on like anything. Yeah, sometimes it's interesting though. I think watching people kind of like watching people like love or hate something. Like I feel like with my album, a lot of people, you know, there were some like straight music bros who like loved it and then some that like hated it. Like that's so interesting that some of you like like it. Yeah, And like just like seeing people within my own like Fami Base being like, oh, this wasn't for me, Like I wish she was doing more like dance pop, and I'm like that's fine. Who knows, maybe I will one day. But I feel like people, I don't know everyone everyone has a correct opinion in their own head. Yeah, but like opinions aren't like it's your opinion, yeah, doesn't mean it's like right or wrong always.
Speaker 2: Opinions don't have to be principled, and we're I think we're in a time when people's people want to like back that up with like the principled, scholarly take when it's like you just don't like it, and that's fine.
Speaker 3: It's that it's as simple as not liking it, or maybe it's just not for you. There's certain things that just aren't for you. You know, Like there's like artists that like make great music for who they make it for, but it's like it's not for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's okay, of course, you know, people should understand that your tastes, which is I'm trying to give you this like really dick xucky compliment. But it's like the first time I met you, was you addressed as Hollywood from quorl Yes love that for a Halloween party, ties Underland Halloween party, and then like you have all these David Lynch references, and you you do, you know your shit, and like I I like you, but you don't. This is your thing. You don't brandish it. You just made let people.
Speaker 3: Midwest, Midwest and western Also, I feel like we aren't like born knowing about cool stuff. Sometimes it takes a long time to like watch movies, develop your taste, figure out even figure out like what you want to wear. Like when I think about like how I used to dresshen my first start of music. I like, don't like cringe necessarily, but it's something I wouldn't wear now. But I'm like I was in my early twenties, I was like drunk every day, like sure, like I looked a little crazy, but like I think, it just takes time for people. Not everyone comes out of the gate being like, oh, yes, like this photographer and this this like fashion house is great in this, I didn't I'm from Saint Louis. I didn't know what that, but I didn't know any of that. Like everything I consumed was through like the Internet and through tumbler and through different things. So you know, it takes time to broaden your taste Pallett. And that's okay. So I feel like I don't know I do. I feel like I like cool things that I like, but I don't know. Not everyone comes like I didn't know these things all the time. I remember I wasn't like in high school watching David Lynch movies.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like I was like seeing I was what rewatching your Coachella performance, and I had recently read something where you had talked about like obviously like the big mass market pop stars were Beyonce and Gaga growing up and that you watched like I Am World Tour and the Monster Ball like again and again and again, and I wanted to tell you I see so much Beyonce in what you do. Yes, there is a moment thank you.
Speaker 3: That's a crazy thing to say, literally.
Speaker 1: Even just like your hairstyling in it, And like when you hold the mic in the way that you went down into a note, I was like, there is something very specifically Beyonce around, you know, around like the four era Antosha Fir and Sasha Fiers. But yes, but like I was like, it was very very very like there was a tiny little movement that you did, and it was I can't explain that you were clutching onto the mic and digging into a note and just the wind that was on you. I was like, this is Beyonce lives in this.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, in a real way, thank you so much. She is like maybe one of my greatest idols of all time. I feel like growing up that was I would like study, I would watch I Am World Tour DVD. And I'm not kidding you if she if she was like, oh, I'm gonna go do that exact tour and crey again. I could be a backup dancer. I know every cue, I know every the show. I know that I know it all. I would dance on my coffee table.
Speaker 1: Yeah, races, yeah.
Speaker 3: Family, family gone, Yeah, mother's heels, not cute ones like the like TJ Max a block heel, and I'd be like dancing on the table and I would do it. Put your freakum dress.
Speaker 1: On, oh freakom dresses. See and I know you keep you. And so many people now have started to say the name B Day. People are really letting everyone know that B Day is a masterpiece. It really is justice for so many of those songs, namely Ring the Alarm.
Speaker 3: I was just I was just about to say that song even subconsciously. I don't think I even like realized it. But like when I hear like crank and ring the Alarm, like the bridled female like kind of rage, screaming, screaming. I love when Beyonce screams, don't hurt yourself.
Speaker 1: Oh period. That's why I'm so excited for whatever Act three is. If it looks like the rock album we may even know by now, but like just what she did and don't hurt yourself. She's limitless.
Speaker 3: I know her and Jack White collabing like the coolest thing ever of all time.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you like linked that with Crank. Have you heard there's someone did a remix of Crank and hand to a role?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I heard that It's perfect and the trolley from Crank goes the trolleys.
Speaker 2: Judy feels right too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Judy, we love Okay, I'm a big like I'm a Judy Garland, Like I'm like a freak.
Speaker 1: You can tell though, I'm just saying, like I feel.
Speaker 3: I'm a big old hollywoods like you know.
Speaker 1: There's gonna be I'm just excited because of I feel like now people are going to get to know you as really a vocalist and especially and I really feel especially your performance on the Tonight Show. I was like, she is a singer. Singer, you really are, And I'm excited for any genre that you take on because it's one thing to be inspired by and influenced by these things. It's another to be able to execute it. And you got it. So we should ask the question because we're kind of floating around.
Speaker 2: Yes, because you've mentioned internet culture of your of your youth. What was the culture that made you say culture is for you?
Speaker 3: Oh, Tumbler. Yeah, I think I've been on the Internet since I was very young, but I think Tumblr felt like it was at its largest and most powerful when I was in high school, and that was very formative for my life. Also interesting that that air of the internet artists would fall on like break on Tumblr. You couldn't really imagine that happening now, but Lana del Rey, like, yeah, kind of broke on Tumblr, you know what I mean. That's the first place that I saw her visuals or heard of her, And I just remember that was kind of the first time that I entered in Internet space and saw people making imagery that was meant to have like that was meant to like make you feel something curating like blogs to like have, you know, an aesthetic appeal, but it was more than just like looking good. Like people would write like blurbs about like oh my gosh, I'm like really suicidal today, blah blah blah to like strangers and like what an interesting time for the Internet. People be so real and raw. Everything is so you know, even like cool girl instagrams are like so curated.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people would.
Speaker 2: Just kind of like it was a narcic was it was?
Speaker 3: It felt like performance on line. Yeah, And I feel like that was the first time I started to curate like visual. I was very into like you know, like seapunk and like the visual like vapor wavy kind of you know, I would like curate my blog to have a certain color story and color palette. And I feel like it led me to like love visual storytelling, and you know, I would read. I would be very particular about the gifts and images. It would not be like funny shit, like I would want it to look very cool and artistic and movie like movie scenes that I love and like stills from things and like you know, Alma Delray gift of her with the flag, Like I just was super particular about it. And I feel like that impacted me so much. And I still kind of have that brain of like putting imagery together, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're talking about like directing. Yeah, like I feel like it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think I would be able to make the videos that I make or make videos in the way I make them without having been like like Tumblr weirdo.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm very big on with all my music videos, there's like a focused color, whether it's like minty teal or like in dance it was kind of like lavender and red. Like I always like to pick a color and all my blog I was the same way. I'd be like, if the previous photo was green, it needs to be something in the green world to like carry it over, and we'll then get out of that into silver and then blue and then like a picture of like dental equipment, like weird, you know what I mean. You just like link things into other things. Yeah, and then then.
Speaker 1: Suddenly you look back and you're like, oh, I've I'm I. This is me.
Speaker 3: I back up for my like old junk laptop and be like my masterpiece. It's literally just a blog girl.
Speaker 2: But no, like because because like was it ever studied, Like did you like read about color theory and shit or no.
Speaker 3: I would just kind of operate. I always loved art though, like I was like I loved illustration and like I loved art class like drawing. I used to draw a lot. I would make like they were so ugly. I would make like pen like really punk. They looked like something that would be like a millennial burger, like like this is like the fuck the fuck face burger joint, like I would make it almost no offense to like liqu no offense to like liquid death, but like my illustrations would look very like that logo, Like I would draw like skulls in my notebook. I would want to make like stickers for my skater friends, so I'd be very like punk tattoo, like really cringe like whatever, not that whatever. But like I did like Penn illustrations, so I always loved art and like visual, I love drawing.
Speaker 1: I feel like I saw you talking to Nicki Ardan, who I love too, Yes, and he mentioned that the dollar sign in the circle like the Slater logo, Like how you're kind of calling back to like a Rolling Stones type logo, Like just don't really have like logos like that, insignias like that, And I feel like that must harken back to those like visual identity and visual representation being like really.
Speaker 3: You can put it when you put like a spin on something or like make it your own. I think that that's like an important piece of it. But also I just find it interesting, like like I'm really into like knock off purses right now, Why would I go buy plastic for a thousand dollars when I can buy it.
Speaker 1: For like forty bucks on.
Speaker 3: And it's so interesting how people will still buy the knockoff just because they want the look of something with prestige, but they know that it doesn't have it. It's just I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's something that like, no, it's but it is like I think it's cooler to know like where you I know where you went to go get it was cooler than the place where that is sold.
Speaker 3: Except yeah, like you you like got cash out of your pocket and like haggled for your bag. Yeah, and that's like way more lit than like walking into a store where like some snob is like it's like really expensive in here. I don't know if you can like right right right, right right, I get pretty woman all the time. Do you bit just hate me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Have you gotten to big mistake? Huge?
Speaker 3: Then? Yeah, there was one really embarrassing moment I had a really big blurb or not blur, but like I had a fuck up because I didn't know. But there was one year I was like going to fashion week. It was like my first like fashion weeks and like you know, so set like fucking cindylu who Saint Louis like, oh so in front row and I was like, I'm gonna go credit card charge bag and then I'll return it after because I can't afford that right now. Yeah, but I have to have the bag otherwise they're all gonna think I'm a loser. So I get the bag and I take it to fashion Week. I get like wasted, and there's makeup in the bag, and like I thought, like, certainly like a luxury purchase, like I'll like make sure that it's taken well care of and like whatever. And it wasn't like beat up or anything like. It looked brand new to me. And I took it back to the store and I was like, Hi, it just didn't work out. I like to return it. She takes one look inside the bag and she's like, you definitely wore this, and I was like, I was like yeah, but like I like tried it and then I didn't like it. I can like return it right and she's like, no, if you wear it, you can't return it. Was such a I was she such.
Speaker 1: A bit.
Speaker 3: And I was like, this is a three thousand dollars bag. I can't afford this, right now and I like almost had a panic attack in the store because like, I don't know how credit. I'm just dumb. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well she was, she was like she was so.
Speaker 3: Mean to She was like, yeah, yeah, there's like makeup in it and like there's like creasing. I was like, well take it back then, yeah, and then like you know, take it to whatever Second Street or whatever you.
Speaker 1: Remember the best take Street is everything.
Speaker 2: I love Second st show.
Speaker 3: All the time. I love it. I've read a lot of music video pieces from like there in Wasteland and like all different things.
Speaker 1: My favorite, my favorite and first time in Second Street was actually when we were just in Tokyo. Yes, because Melissa, who I was telling you about that like is the vintage shopper, extraordinary who finds everything for me, was like, we have to go to Second Store. It's my favorite place ever. And I love that.
Speaker 3: I would let her master list is probably crazy like places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's really good. And also I just like when someone asked where you got something, telling them some far from place in the world, you know what I mean, Like I got this from like a weird a weird store like outside of Vegas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, five dollars exactly. Yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: I'm also thinking about, like when we talked about like, you know, just the dollar sign of it all and you know that kind of representation, something popped in my head and it's relevant. It was like when I'm clueless when Breckenmeier goes to Britney Murphy, like, oh sick representation, like the Marvin the mart I could zoom marv in the Martian, that whole thing, just like your shouts to Brittany, you guys get cochy. This is America every line. I don't have a head street far, but just the love that you give her. She's one of our favorites too. When we always say like had she lived, I do think she would have had like a second and third wind in her career where she would have just been She was an incredible, amazing and effortless and signature.
Speaker 3: Like vocalist in a way that I don't think a lot of people even realize. It sounds so funny because it's a children's movie, but like the happy feet soundstry are stunning. Yeah, she did like a song with paul Oakenfield and like she was just such a good singer. It's like a shame that she never got to make an album. There's like no, I really I love her so much. I have so much like love in my heart. Uptown Girls was a very important movie for me as a child, and then watching as an adult, it takes on a completely new meaning. It like really punches you in the gut, really devastating movie. But like I just I love her so much and I think her life and that feeling. I watched her What Happened to Britney Murphy docuseriies her life and like the feelings of like feeling like your career is kind of slowing down, or like things are people are turning on you and being like why doesn't anyone Why am I not doing like studio movies anymore?
Speaker 1: Why this?
Speaker 3: Why that? And like how that must have felt it like that is such a horrible thing, and it's just like she was so talented, and it just makes me it's like the greatest tragedy I think in Hollywood. Genuinely, I would agree.
Speaker 1: I think, especially in the era where TV really popped off, I think she would have gotten the Handmaid's Tale type show to really show what she could do, because.
Speaker 3: You're funny, she could do serious. She was just like I don't know. She had so much charm, so.
Speaker 1: Much aura, natural charisma, star qualities, like the way she laughs. No one can ever replicate that. I mean that there was just and also the darkness that she that she waded into. I mean, girl interrupted. People talk about Angelina because she won the Oscar and obviously Wanona, but Brandey Murphy what she brought to that was that must have been hard to sit in the entire time shooting that movie because it's just mental anguish and pain and her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, her character's fate and that movie is like almost like the one that makes you the most sick.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely, and I'm shocked that no one's clipped her and dropped at gorgeous screaming gay.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that movie, yeah, forget it is incredible.
Speaker 1: That must have hit hard for you two being from.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well that was like Minnesota.
Speaker 3: That's like a little more north.
Speaker 2: I love that I got it mixed up.
Speaker 3: I wish I like love. I love like the northern Midwest. Like accents. Missouri is weird. I feel like Saint Louis, Like, do I don't have an accent to you die? I don't think I do. But there's like my grandparents kind of have a weird like they'll be like Highway far toy far oh, which is weird. That's it's not country, it's not southern. It's like a very weird thing.
Speaker 1: It's like suggesting Minnesota accent kind of almost.
Speaker 3: Like a little more countrified. Like my like my dad would always he wouldn't say wash, would be like wash wash interesting or is that like I don't know what is that?
Speaker 2: The stretch from Missouri to Kansas to Colorado, I was like four different, four different things and they don't really they don't really amount to anything, which is weird, you know what I mean. Growing up in Colorado, we were just like I guess we don't have an accent. But the way you would test, the way you would test if someone, uh, how someone was politically a line is if they said Colorado, they were blue. If they said Colorado they were red Colorado.
Speaker 1: WHOA.
Speaker 2: I don't think Missouri has that right Missouri, Missouri, Missouri. I love Missouria, Missouri.
Speaker 1: I do think on Long Island, where I'm from, the stronger the Long Island accent. That's how you know, it's what part of Long Island are you from Suffolk County? So like this this like down yeah, like down on the south shore in like the middle of it. So part of the must say south central Long Island, but it doesn't sound. I grew up like like right around where the Fire Island fairies are.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I used to work like in the in the little Clamshack when people would get on the ferries to go, oh my god.
Speaker 3: That's like a coming of age film.
Speaker 1: It basically was I'm thinking I made clam.
Speaker 3: Stricks in the clamshack sticks and I would mop the floors literally, and it was the summer the change my life, and.
Speaker 1: I literally was hooking up with my boss.
Speaker 3: Oh right, the movie now.
Speaker 1: I actually do have to it actually is something I've written.
Speaker 3: Down clamstripped stripped ew exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: That's the feeling you want.
Speaker 1: You know. What's funny though, is it's like you think about those those times, like I want people to feel fried. Why when they watch this you think about those times and they are the hardest narratives to like to sift through because it's still confusing to think about yourself as a teenager, as a late teenager. It's like the permanence you get on those situations doesn't come till years later, and then it's hard to put it into your work. Yeah, you know, it's like hard to know what was right what was wrong while I was feeling it's such a very long time that specific age age group where it was a time where you think you knew it all, you thought you were older than you were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's kind of scary to think back to, like high school times. I used to think I was so invincible. Yeah, I would go places, should gone it hours. I shouldn't be out of my house crazy getting cars with people. I shouldn't be getting.
Speaker 1: Cars well, no, the way I used to drive in high school, I really thought, yeah, you couldn't break a bone.
Speaker 3: No, for real, it was crazy times. I had a funny high school experience too. I was very shy and nerdy because I was like new to my public school freshman year, and I had braces, and so I was like new and weird and like insecure and like kind of overweight. Like I just like didn't really feel so open.
Speaker 1: To socialize or ready to meet everyone. I wasn't ready for the.
Speaker 3: Meet and greet of like high school life. But then you know, it's like, of course this always happens. I got my braces off around like sophomore year, and then I met like the skater boy, like click, and it was just like I became a bad kid out of nowhere. Like I was very quiet, never really had great grades because I was really adhd, but like boom, braces off, and I was like, I'm skipping school and I'm smoking weed and I'm smoking sticks, and I'm stealing bottles from Target and I'm stealing bottle was from the liquor store I got. I went, I went like sick o mode, like fast races off.
Speaker 2: And then and it was on and it was on for how long?
Speaker 3: Till most of my life to be honest, but.
Speaker 1: Just hate you?
Speaker 2: Why I am still Why am I still laughing at bitches? Hate me?
Speaker 3: Bitches? Dude?
Speaker 1: I had a thought starter. So you get so gay off that tequila? But is that is that? Is that the liquor that gets you the most gay? Tequila?
Speaker 3: Probably that's the most Like I've had my craziest, most twacked out, blacked out nights tequila tequila. If you want to keep it a safe night, that's family fun for everyone. Wine and beer for me, it never stays safe and fun. If you're I'm like, not like the like I can have like a drink or two at dinner.
Speaker 1: No, it's either it's either none or six. It will Yeah, yeah, that's my problem.
Speaker 2: I've I've been in a party environment with you briefly, and I'm like, and you were just so, you were so chic, and them what because we were we were Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Oh I had to perform. But afterwards it got crazy.
Speaker 1: You got so gay off. That's Aequilae.
Speaker 3: It got halloweeny, weird, got weird. I yeah, Halloween is weird.
Speaker 1: Halloween it should be weird, though, I get so gay off that Gin.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, Gin is what fucks me up the most.
Speaker 3: Really, I only I really only drink gin in like a cocktail. I'm trying not to drink like a lot lately. Yes, but gin is like a gin feels so fancy. It's like a fancy cocktail drink. If you're getting drunk off gin, yeah that's like an old British Man vibe.
Speaker 1: Okay, but here's the thing. So the way it was introduced to me on Long Island, where I was trash, my mom said to me one day she goes, she goes, you know, gin is sin, and I was like, okay, and we were religious, it wasn't it makes it. It sells it to me. Ye didn't know, but she did sell to me. So then by the way, I go to all of my friends and I'm like, yo, look maybe this weekend, maybe it's gin. And my friends go absolutely, We're going to do a gin bucket. So you have you experienced the gin bucket. You get one of those fucking industrial being with the holes in the hand, with the ropes on the thing like jungle juice. Literally literally so whole fucking handle of my probably the cheapest shit ever, like club soda sprite, cut up lemons and limes. Throw it in there. You get a turkey baster based into the mouth, into the mouth that is like you'll be running around you guys. We were probably set sixteen seventeen.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, that's like children doing that is so funny. It's like, sure, the same ship that we would like like four different flavors of Burnett's like one thing, and it's like you children, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really scary to think about.
Speaker 3: The turkey baster is really scary.
Speaker 1: Just like in someone's backyard fall, like the one parent that would be like, yeah, let them do what they want to do.
Speaker 3: Just there's a girl. Always at least we know where they are.
Speaker 1: Always. You wouldn't believe the color of some of the vomits I've seen, like because people drinking like like like hater aid, like you know, like what's what's haterid Again, it's just like red and like you'd put we would go to the football games and put like a ton of vodka and like a blue or red gatorade bottle and then it would get out of hand. And so like there's Kevin throwing up blue, just blue, and.
Speaker 3: You think no one knows either. They're like they probably think he is the flue.
Speaker 1: The teachers are.
Speaker 3: Watching you like fall all over.
Speaker 1: This is a crazy virus. This boy has is blue.
Speaker 2: Like you're giving yourself time this summer to like do that. I hope to party, to party.
Speaker 1: I don't want to you have to be on your ship.
Speaker 3: I don't like partying. Really, I'm like kind of sometimes if it's like some weed is biomedically engineered to make you it's cross psychotic, and I am scared and it's hard to play roulette with like which kind is fine? And everyone's like, Oh, it's the city or it's this one. It's like your more stony Ston friend always loves to be like, no, like this one. I swear it'll be fine, and then you smoke.
Speaker 1: And you're like, I can't.
Speaker 3: I need to eject from the music industry now.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everyone thinks I'm weird and I think I needed to lead my Twitter today. No.
Speaker 1: The existential places you go when you smoke this I'll say it again chronic and they sell it on the streets in New York and LA. Now that weed is everywhere what you can get because it's like rolled in kief and stuff like that, and like infuse, it's not normal.
Speaker 2: It's not normal.
Speaker 3: It's not there's like a spiral of like wax like coating and they it's it's like crazy. It's like Willy Wonka weed is really won weed, and it turns you into a big fucking blueberry and you get really scared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're violeting.
Speaker 3: You You would come yes, and you they they and then you see like oop bloopa sing a song and they roll you out and you get really scared. That's like what every time I spoke me that happens every time. The whole fantasy I need we need to ask you about in the Chocolate River Tube period.
Speaker 2: Because I've been thinking about this since you've put it into words in this way, like because because everyone's like, oh anxiety, but you've you've talked about I've been feeling this a little too much, even this morning, where like like I didn't really I just had a nice chill night last night. I wake up, I wake up going, oh my god, yeah, I'm the biggest piece of shit in the world, Like why do people put up with me? I'm like, where is this all coming from? I think it's it's it's gotta be some chemical amounts.
Speaker 3: Your brain is playing tricks on you. It's not real.
Speaker 2: So is that knowledge enough for you to be like, Okay, let's let's keep it moving.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I can talk myself down about it a lot. And my favorite thing, which it's hard though because it's like everyone's so different. My favorite thing to like use is like when I see someone who's like being drunk and crazy at a party, I'm never like horribly offended. I'm just like, oh, like they're lit exactly. I'm never like, oh, my god, Like, it's like, so I feel like when I'm doing that, unless you're being like insane or it's like a medical emergency, no one's really it's no one's experiencing it the way you think they are. Everyone's thinking about themselves. Everyone's thinking about themselves. Everyone's think about their own shit, their own everyone wants to like have their conversation. No one's Yeah, and like maybe you wouldnnoy one person, big deal. But I think that thinking about how you like, if someone really drunk came up to you and they were like, oh my god, hey, like I'm like so drunk right now, you wouldn't be like you like you know what I mean. So it's like or even if you like or just like you know, yap, And it's like everyone loves it.
Speaker 2: Everyone loves that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the thing is, the thing about the anxiety is the reason why I think like you are ruminating is because you're not sure exactly if you have it should you should be embarrassed about something, and that should be an indicator that oh, probably no one else remembers either. Yeah, we were all the same thing. We all have this And a huge element of this anxiety is the lack of knowledge and if you're not a noxious person, you're not doing anything nonoxious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, we went to the Tony's two nights ago and the after parties went crazy.
Speaker 3: That's like so lit.
Speaker 1: It was really like in the Tony's, people like everyone in that community is kind of the best vibe because they're truly working hard eight times a week and then all supporting each other, and then we're also so thoroughly entertained. By the end of the year, performances are genuinely, you know, amazing people that the vibe is very, very high, and you can tell that because they're not able to party because they're working so hard to you know, take care of themselves that they get the opportunity to go off and people go three.
Speaker 3: Drinks and they're like, yeah, I was until five love.
Speaker 2: It was crazy, like people like there were some sinners among them.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's a lot of sin I was drinking gin too, really, yes, which means monstering a conversation.
Speaker 3: With you bottoms up and the devil laughs, what are you talking about? The monster energy camera. She's like, look six six bottoms up and the Devil laughs.
Speaker 1: I do remember her.
Speaker 3: She's crazy.
Speaker 1: The Devil's drink the bottom and the devil laughs.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm never gonna drink anything water. You're scarying me, lady.
Speaker 1: I would like a case of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, flip it around.
Speaker 3: She's saying that, Wait, that kind of is what that was exactly.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say. If you turn dollar sign in a circle upside down, dollar sign in a circle, it's.
Speaker 3: Dollars sign backwards in a circle, upside down upside down.
Speaker 1: That you didn't think about that when I think about that at home.
Speaker 2: Pre commerce icons. Yeah, I think it's time.
Speaker 1: I'd be time for I don't think so, honey. This is the segment that we do each and every time out or we rip into something in pop culture or around it. I have decided something is actually important to me and I need to speak on it. This is and this is my this is my platform to do that.
Speaker 3: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 2: This is Matt Rodgers. I don't think so many as time starts.
Speaker 1: I don't think so honey. Spelling things right, I it's a form of expression when I say in a text to my sister, I am emotional and spelled like this E M O S h U n A L. And then the phone has the audacity to try to I meant what I said when I typed it out the way that I typed it out. I meant what I said just like Slater said earlier. Okay, and for me, it's expression. Think about this freak aleek. Can you remember that song? Not a word is spelled wrong? Freaknut leak, And that is important. Worst girl in America. There's a dollar sign in there. Baby, don't describe this album and say wow, did you listen to this without the dollar sign? But also do what you want, because again, that will be the right spelling. And I give you the frime to be incorrect. I am never making a mistake when I spell a word. And I say this as someone who plays sixth place, yes, sixth place in my sixth grade spelling Bee, which is pretty good. So I know my shit. I'm doing it on purpose, none of that red little squiggle. I don't think so honey that I don't think so honey what I'm trying to spell and say?
Speaker 2: And that's one minute.
Speaker 1: Wow, you really like? I just feel like the way that the girls are like right their song titles. Now the word Slater no there's three wives you free.
Speaker 3: To wake it up, free, be free and all. That's my that's my art mission.
Speaker 2: B free period. I used to be a spelling square because spelling is for squares, and now I'm like, wait a minute, what am I upholding?
Speaker 3: Like normally my music is terrible. The grammar, grammar, My music is terrible. Spelling and grammar like lose it.
Speaker 2: Lose it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I bet, I bet you did at one point have a good grasp like you. You bring like form like I was.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny I had, like I had a GPA so low it would probably shock both of you. One point five, yes, the lowest you could get and still walk. And then I went to college on academic probation because university was very no offense, was so desperate for people's to wition no offense. I wanted to take my student debt, you know, money, and then I flunked out. They were like, your grades are so bad, but we'll see, we'll see about you for a year. Just come and pay, we just experiment, come take out some loans. But even though it's not looking so good for you. And I went to college for a year and then I failed out because I I but I was always really good at English, yeah, and really good with like choir and art and all that.
Speaker 2: But what's better. What's better about being good at English is not the spelling. No, it's about the way you interpret the.
Speaker 1: Feeling well literally, And I remember being like this, like there are people that, like I remember walking around. And also the other crazy reveal is that later you find out that just a shit ton of people had dyslexia. Yep, you know what I mean. They just learn differently than the way. Like I remember reading in class, like we would all like, okay, we're today, we're reading Pride and Prejudice or whatever the fuck, and now we're gonna take turns reading the parts, and people would have to and watching people struggle, you realize now it's just like it's not all easy for everyone. And I just wish there could have been more of an emphasis on just be really good at what you're really good at. Like that's if I run the Department of ad. I'm like, let people pick five things they want to do and go ham on that. Yeah, and because there's no more class, Yeah, notice.
Speaker 3: Notice what children are like excelling at and be like, oh, you're really good at this thing. I was so bad at math, and I would have teachers who would get so frustrated because they'd be like, we read your essay and your standard is testing, like you are smart, and I'd be like really, but I but like but they would be like you're so smart, like why can't you just do your homework? And I'm like, I don't know, because I don't give a fuck about chemistry or biology or like math anything math chemistry is So I would get like caught cheating on my tests.
Speaker 2: How what was your style of cheating?
Speaker 3: So I was so bad at school that they would I would always like miss school skip, so it'd always take my test like a different day or something. They like put me in a room and like to like take my test on like a different day than everybody else because I like go to missed school that day, and then I would like have like a paper of answers like a friend who took the test. And one time my teacher caught me and he was like, I'm going to pretend I didn't see because I do not want to see in my class next year. And I was like, thank.
Speaker 2: You, that's interesting. I don't want to mysterious.
Speaker 3: What he's like. He was like, I never want to see you again, so you're gonna pass.
Speaker 1: And I was like, right, that is a waiting game.
Speaker 2: This is them totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm so bad in class that people are like, get out pass.
Speaker 3: God bless him. Like I got what I want?
Speaker 1: Yeah, good for you, Good for you.
Speaker 2: Uh, I've got you got something?
Speaker 1: You got something today? Okay, so this No, I have my own little phone, my own little device. Okay, Well, this is the moment we've all been waiting for. This is Bowen Yang's I don't think so, honey. His time starts now.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, honey. Refrigerators aren't magnetic anymore. Hey, what happened to a little clutter? What happened to a little wabbi? Sabby? Because guess what? You're wiping out an entire fucking industry of magnets, letters, little things where you can put here's a question, what do you do with a loose printed photograph? I guess you have to frame every single one of them now and find the space to prop them up. No, they were meant to be put on fridges. And now that the metals second, how boys that can take nickel and all this other non magnetic stuff. It used to just be a slab of iron, but now they're putting all this fingerproof, fingerprint proofing stuff on it. It's for the sake of sleepless sleekness and cleanliness. I want a little bit of mess. I want my kitchen to be a little shitty. Not that you know, but you know what I mean, Like I want I want things on the door because otherwise it's just a thing that's at my eye line, that's blank. I need some visual interest in my life.
Speaker 1: And that's one minute. A refrigerator should be like tumbler, should be like Tumblr.
Speaker 3: A reflection of the soul.
Speaker 2: Yes, because then it's just.
Speaker 3: Like my la fridge. Really is the way that you're saying that, I'm like, you know what, I've curated some good magnets of like Betty Page magnets and like vintage Budweiser. It should it should have pictures of people you love, Yes, notes from your mom.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know.
Speaker 2: The refrigerator is an opportunity. It's the thing you see, like kind of most often in the slide show of your day. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like it should have it should have things that make you feel joy or comfort. And it's like orchard, like you write a little intention, you put it right at your eye line. It's a huge missed opportunity. I don't know why this is the shift in the trend. I say, we go back to it literally like.
Speaker 3: It's because millennial Gray took over the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, And there is some sort of like I think it's like an over Marie condoization of don't bring her into this, but just like it you are supposed to. Here's the thing shit that goes on the refrigerator in that way that doesn't belong anywhere else exactly, like it's it's it's it's like you know, photographic chotchkes and like you know, a drawing that like your little cousin made.
Speaker 2: So lovely it deserves a place. But I don't know if I'm framing all of that.
Speaker 1: No you're not, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like I see, like this sounds like a dream. This la fridge it.
Speaker 3: Is, and what's inside it is a dream as well. What's in the fridge, Uh, lots of leftovers. Yeah, cottage cheese. I like cottage cheese. I love like protein. I eat a lot of protein. There's like chicken I have like I love like muscle bro foods. So I have like a lot of like whole food ship. I love like my health. I love my la like health air on bullshit lifting, Yeah, I love it. I do a lot of Pilate's and I love how nice heated.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got we gotta try this.
Speaker 2: Do you eat boy kibble?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Beef on rice?
Speaker 2: Grab grab on rice? Sometimes so.
Speaker 3: Sometimes, but I think it's like such a It's like.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you gotta like hit the macro and you gotta like you gotta do. I love like a chicken. I love rotissery chicken. I got a rotissary chicken in my fridge a lot.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's the chases the best. I just go to rip it up with my hands. Oh yeah, nasty.
Speaker 3: I had a college show in Iowa, and I have like grilled chicken breast on my writer and everyone like jokes that it's like when a dog has diarrhea, that's like their like meal. They're like, go eat your diarrhea dog meal. But they had a full rotissery chicken. These like sweet little college students brought a rotistry chicken and one of them came to meet me, so I feel so bad. My andsw are like what did I mean? That's perfect for no knife. I'm like.
Speaker 1: They're like, we could have gotten you.
Speaker 3: They're like, we're really big fans, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, grease. Literally, that is the definition of cranking it pre show it is.
Speaker 3: We got crunk and I was full of routine.
Speaker 2: You get so full off, that.
Speaker 3: Full off that bokable.
Speaker 2: You need to write like a fridge song, you know what I mean. Jingle a jingle? No, No, I'm saying like a full on like screaming about what the fun is in your freezer?
Speaker 3: What's in my freezer? Oh's my freezer is different from what's in the fridge?
Speaker 1: What's in your freezer? Reveal? Okay wait wait The one thing too is I want to say, p s A. You can't put everything in the crisper, never one at home. So Melissa pus are you talking about like an air frier the air.
Speaker 3: I'm my hot take away anti air friar?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Why? Because ease of use.
Speaker 3: Ease of use convenience is killing America. Everyone needs to be more antheon. Anthony Bourdainian about the way they moved through life.
Speaker 1: Dane would have hated.
Speaker 3: Dane would have never put ship in an air friar. You're so right, and it's just like, you know, I could do a microwave, but I draw the line at another giant bulky of plants that sits on the counter, and like, does it need to be so crispy?
Speaker 1: Was it crispy? If I can have nuggets in fifteen minutes? Yeah, I'll overlook all of this. I love nuggets.
Speaker 3: That's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 1: I go crazy for I guess, but ovens, ovens have done nothing but support you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and been shoe storage or whatever the fuck? Like, come on, shoe storage? Are you yourself such? Not too much? This is something? No, you have something else prepared?
Speaker 3: What I forgot it? I feel like, should I do do?
Speaker 2: Go on air fra Okay, wait, we're preparing on the clock.
Speaker 1: Wait did you have it? I don't know think so, honey that you already prepared.
Speaker 3: I thought I was gonna wing it, and now I'm like, it's like when someone asked your favorites on You're like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Any exactly exactly, Dude, do this the airfryer do the airfire. This is slaters. I don't think so many your times or it's no.
Speaker 3: I think that airfriers are a spiritually corrupt appliance for the kitchen. They're bulk either unnecessary. I think convenience is becoming such an issue in America. Everybody wants everything to be so convenient. Go walk down the street, go find some chicken from like a food truck, go walking to like a mom and pop restaurant, or make a damned chicken nug at yourself. I'm like talking to you, No, I just think that it's so I feel like I see every day there's more gadgets that just clutter up your kitchen. It's so unnecessary. There's like you don't need like an avocado cutter, you don't need an air fryer, just like, oh my god, actually you might.
Speaker 1: Need that ship.
Speaker 3: But you know, I'm kidding, But it's just I hate convenient things. Just like make make a meal and like make it with your hands, and like use your oven and use your stove, get on the cast iron skillet, make food the way that we've been making food for years. Wouldn't need And you know what, I think it does weird ship to our food. I think that it adds a chemical. I think there's like a layer, there's some kind of resonant there that's like getting baked into your your nuggets. Get the resin outs, get the air fier out of the kitchen.
Speaker 1: Can air frier conspiracy theories? Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because how do you explain, like somehow we really all bought in as a culture, right, this giant fucking thing. Sure, don't you have the counter space? No, but I'll put I'll plug it in anyway. Oh sorry toaster, you're going in the cabinet for this thing with a draw in a handle. I don't understand.
Speaker 3: Oh so they will explode randomly. Have you ever seen someone being like, yeah, my house burned down, A ring camera or ear for exploded. It's like, oh awesome, good to know that those can just randomly.
Speaker 1: See that's a story about forgetting to unplug you watch out. I guess I will. Well, here's the thing, I have one and I you know what else is on my cabinet? I mean my counter an ice machine? Like I have an ice machine on the counter separate from the from the That.
Speaker 3: Could be fair if you don't have like I don't have an ice maker in my freezer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I bet you're a fan of the cube tray.
Speaker 3: I am, Yeah, I know, I like I like when the I like when I ask you taste a little weird.
Speaker 1: Like what the fuck is that? Is it something that's yeah, tastes like ice. Yeah, the butt ice.
Speaker 2: That's what they call it.
Speaker 1: Butt ice, but ice called it that.
Speaker 2: Someone called it butt ice on the show. But I that's just it's like that perfectly like smooth.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, like a cube or not. It's not a cube. It's like a like a.
Speaker 2: Little like a little like a croissant.
Speaker 3: You said, a cent or croissant, which is similar shape. Who said that a croissant is named a croissant? Because that is that French? For Chris, I love a croissants? Is that French?
Speaker 2: Christ the Missouri I love?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, you know, like you know, like Brad Pitt and inglorious bastards when he's like grant sy because like, you know, I don't know, I'm not I'm not I'm not gonna like offend them by like trying to speak French or Italian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but at the end, at the end of any of our trips to Italy, I was so sad to not be able to say Buena is a good one.
Speaker 2: And also in Thailand, caca, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: It means thank you.
Speaker 3: That just made me think of bridesmaid Bridesmaids. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and that's so and she likes like and the classic.
Speaker 2: That's a Hungover is the best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my sister and me love.
Speaker 2: That movie, the one the only like the niche.
Speaker 3: Quotes were like, oh ship, that's fresh, saying that, oh that is fresh, underrated.
Speaker 2: I climbed him like a tree.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I broke it in half. Do you understand what I'm saying? I broke it in half?
Speaker 2: What something on the plane? Oh? You know what I always say, vocalist for us, you like it? It's sweet, It's sweet, sweet sweet.
Speaker 3: I would I would say that the oh she knows the DJ is like almost part inspired by oh you know the owner, because that's me. I'm like that girl. I'm like the friend where I'm like, you know, clocking your like uppity friend that is like, you know, knows the owner. I'm I'm like off a perk and I'm being like, oh you know, oh yeah, I'm not. I don't do that, but like I don't want kids to be like, oh I want to do oh my god.
Speaker 1: You know, glamorizing drug use once again.
Speaker 3: I feel like my album does the opposite. My album is like this is really it's like this is gross and bad, like old technology video. I'm like, this isn't cool.
Speaker 2: Guys, like this is like totally you know. It's like the way that like Lynch makes like parts of Los Angeles feel like terrifying. Yeah, it makes you never.
Speaker 1: Countess said don't be all on cool. I would say beyond cool cool.
Speaker 3: Big that's a hot take, but I fully agree beyond cool. There's nothing cooler than being uncool. Everyone cool is always like kind of uncool, yeah, and kind of nerdy and kind of like passionate about something and they're kind of uncool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like no one, no one that's like you.
Speaker 3: Think is cool is actually cool. You talk to like a cool person who like you're like, oh that person is so cool. They're not so cool. They're not gonna make you laugh and they're probably kind of mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what I mean that your experience kind of I will trust.
Speaker 3: People are I feel like I've been like the tacky artists. People are too cool for a lot of times. So now everything happening, I'm like experiencing things and like you really like talk with or like get to know people, and I'm like, you're like a bad hang yeah, what do you mean? Yes?
Speaker 1: Several times again and again.
Speaker 2: This apparent because the cool thing at this point has been like kind of co opted by like, oh, like.
Speaker 3: Like cool dudes are really mean, get it, that's their thing. Yeah, but like little old me is not. I'm not sitting through that.
Speaker 1: No me from a from me from ten years ago, would like me to me me from like please please please me now iconic sub Yeah.
Speaker 2: True, you're you're you're you're you're switch, aren't you?
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Oh you're domb? What You're a domb for sure?
Speaker 3: I'm just head, just miserable. No, I'm neither.
Speaker 2: You're neither. Yeah, but you're But like I want to say, like you're cool, you know what I mean, not in the way that you're talking about feel cool.
Speaker 1: Keep feeling uncool, because everything you're feeling and doing is working for me.
Speaker 3: I look at the mirror and I'm like shaking my c.
Speaker 1: We're so happy that you came. You're albums unbelievable. It's now won the Album of the Year. Now you know it's gone too far. One album of the year. It lost.
Speaker 2: Coach goes to like the album of the year though, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: That is so thank you for one nominating me. I'm back into my speech. I'm like, thank you for nominating me, and I just can't That's the.
Speaker 1: First thing I've ever won.
Speaker 3: I've never won an award.
Speaker 1: Why wow, we're sending on the Wikipedia. We got to setting. Even though west Elm did discontinue the doorstops that we used to make into trophies that you would love that diy them on the phone.
Speaker 2: We're getting him on the phone.
Speaker 3: Someone email.
Speaker 1: We actually do know someone that you know who works there there, Thomas Gibbons, and he was like, actually, like we should do something. And I was like, welcome, they make out door stop again because we need it for the centerpiece of our whole award shows.
Speaker 3: You guys should just like get one and like three D printed or something.
Speaker 1: And then it wouldn't be as heavy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the weight is crucial.
Speaker 2: So crucial. People are like people like put it down at the show. They're like, this is a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was that actually was our entire goal. We wanted it to be the heaviest reward.
Speaker 3: And you should just get like a thirty pound kettle boy.
Speaker 2: Perfect. Next time you're here, we're gonna find out what's in your freezer. Until then, it's been s Later on Last Culture, we in every episode with the song you want to fox Leader Richard, we should like later get to my hotel and suck him up in the elevator, stand the Roja, get on.
Speaker 1: The bund money maker, and then then the bucal head.
Speaker 2: Was arrested out of us. She can do better than us, better than us, Last Culture Reached. This is the production by will Earl's Big Money Players in iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Podcasts, created and hosted by Matt Rogers and Bowen Yang, Executive produced by Anna Hasnia and produced by Decca Ramos, edited by hot Dog Sandwich and our music is by Henry k Breski