Speaker 1: Here at Just Baseball, we have teamed up with betmgm for the twenty twenty three MLB season. We'll be using BETMGM lines to make all of our picks, and we'll have special offers for our listeners each week. If you haven't signed up for betmgm yet, use code just Baseball and you will get up to a one thousand dollars first bet offer on your first wager with BETMGM. Here's how it works. Step number one, download the betmgm app and sign up using bonus code just Baseball. Step number two, deposit at least ten dollars and place your first wager on any game. Step number three, you will receive up to one thousand dollars in bonus bets. If your bet loses, just make sure you use bonus code just Baseball when you sign up. Disclaimer twenty one plus to wager. Visit betmgm dot com for terms and conditions. US promotional offers not available in Washington, DC, Mississippi, Nevada, New York, and Ontario. Gambling problem Call one eight hundred gambler in Colorado, Washington, d C, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming call eight seven seven eight dash hope and why or text hope and why to or six seven three six nine In New York call one eight hundred next step In Arizona called one eight hundred five two two four seven zero zero. In Kansas and Nevada, called one eight hundred three two seven five zero five zero. In Massachusetts called one eight hundred. Bets Off. In Iowa called one eight hundred two seven zero seven one one seven for confidential help. In Michigan, don't forget. If you haven't signed up for bet MGM yet, use bonus coach Just Baseball and get your one thousand dollars first bet offer today. Jesus Statia League Crackers bring.
Speaker 2: We will see you to the corner.
Speaker 1: Welcome flam Me hangout.
Speaker 2: New episode of the Just Baseball Show, and we have a rare Thursday edition of the mail Bag. I'm r and waiting. He's Peter Apple, And you know, sometimes you got it adjust the schedule for Pete Flaherty. We did that. The College Baseball The College World Series episode was a banger. Definitely go check that out. But you and I we got to do the mail gag. You and I look forward to this every time we hang up off the mail bag episodes. You and I are like, man, that was fun because everybody gives us such good questions, So this is no different. You and I get together, We're pumped to do the questions and we got a lot of good ones.
Speaker 1: Peter, we have a lot of great ones. And this episode is brought to you by bet mgm, the King of sportsbooks. Use promo code just Baseball when you sign up. So when you sign up and deposit into your newly created account, download the bet mgm Sports app on iOS or Android or visit betmgm dot com. Plase your first bet off and receive up to one thousand dollars back in bonus bets if it loses. If the bet does lose, your bonus bets will be available once the wager is settled. Call or text one to eight hundred Gambler if you have a gambling problem. Must be twenty one plus or older to do it. Yes, this is my favorite episode of the week. I also love asking you about the Prospect Report, but that's every other Wednesday. But we had to fit the mailbag in and we also have to fit in a smidge of time to talk about the best team in baseball, the team who has not lost, like your favorite team has probably lost in the last eight games. Not the A's, not the Oakland A's, not the Juggernaut A's, not the A's that I said have a slightly below average offense. Let's not forget about that.
Speaker 2: You said there must be TV based you are right, yes, yeah, I mean you also predicted that they would have the most incredible fan interaction that we've seen in a game ever. Like, no, but certainly that game, by the way, was just so much fun. I won't pretend I watched the whole thing, but the fact that that whole event, what we had going on there, and for those who don't know, like what was the best way to categorize this thing, Peter, It was basically a reverse boycott in the effort of Oakland fans to show, hey, we exist. Hey this is a good baseball market. But like anything, like any product, if the product is trash, the market will not be very eager to you know, go spend money in and go watch or consume or whatever the product may be. The product is absolute garbage. We know that I admire the A's players for working hard and grinding and competing, but at the end of the day, a lot of these guys probably wouldn't get big leag opportunities elsewhere. That's not the point though. The point is that we saw a bunch of Oakland A's fans show out in Unison. What was it twenty eight thousand nearly that showed up to this ball on a Tuesday night? Right, was it a Tuesday night?
Speaker 1: Brushintaro Fujinami opener to Hogan Harris taken on Jalen me Well.
Speaker 2: By the way, Hogan Harris was lights out, by.
Speaker 1: The lights out, seven innings, four hits, one earned, and it was so great. They raised a bunch of money for charity, and even the Oakland A's pitched in and said that they were donating all the proceeds that they got from ticket revenue to charity as well. Just a great event and it was actually really good.
Speaker 2: By the way, Sorry to cut you off, but before I forgot that was dope, because I was thinking, the first thing that went into my cynical mind was like, oh this this asshole. You know, John Fisher is gonna now profit off of this reverse boycott, Like, screw you. He's gonna make more off off this game than he did in several months. But no, it really is great on the A's for doing that, and that was the right way to approach it, to get back to the community that's trying to fight to keep the team while they are still going to probably move the team out. It was a nice gesture all things considered. But I just this is just everything that baseball like embodies cliches and pull out all the cliches. It was storybook. It seems like it was an episode or a part out of like a chapter out of Major League Like it just seemed too like, too perfect. And the fact that they've won that game too, the fact that it's in the middle of a winning streak, and the fact that they did it against the best team in baseball. Like if this was an episode of Ted Lasso or whatever, it would be like you'd be like, oh, okay, yeah, this is very you know, this is very sick comy, Like this is not really a real thing that would happen, but it did. They fed off the crowd. The crowd was awesome, and Hogan Harris shoved.
Speaker 1: That's the reality of the situation. The A's continue to win, and fans showed up, and they proved again that it's not it's not on us. If you give us a decent ballpark without sewage leaking in, if you give us a product on the field that at least when I go to the ballpark, I can imagine a chance at winning. That's all they're asking for. They're not asking for a dirt payroll. They're not asking for a stadium that's falling apart. Invest in us. You don't have to spend a ton of money. We're not greedy. All we need is a shot, and you haven't given us a shot all year. So A's fans decided, well, it's in our hands now we're gonna do this reverse boycott and all the comments on social media when it first started before we saw eventually how well A's fans handled it. And then of course give credit to John Fisher because he did the right thing by donating all that ticket revenue. We found that A's fans they did their job, yep.
Speaker 2: And they've done in the past. They've showed up when they win, they show up, you know. And and that's even in that crappy stadium, So it was cool, you know, And I think that's something that even if baseball, you know, presumably leaves Oakland, it's something that I think will always remember, and I think a lot of Oakland fans will always remember as just a really special ballgame there to beat the Rays. Too. But we've got a lot of questions to get through. We got seven of them. All seven are really fun, kind of ranging of all different topics, Peter, and I'm noticing, and you texted me before we started recording, there's a deadline slant on the majority of our questions now, and we're getting there. You think about it's June fifteenth as people are listening to this. By the time we do the next mail bag, it'll be trade season, fully, and then if there's a mail bag after that, it would be like right at the deadline. So we're getting there, and I understand it, and we're kind of at that point where teams are deciding what their direction is. So that kind of leads us into a lot of these questions, and it leads us into the first one, which you know, I obviously wanted to jump on a Marlins question, not just because I want to talk about the Marlin. They've lost two in a row. I like to hear what you guys have to say about the Marlins, as you know, you Jack kind of covering the whole league, looking at the whole league and your thoughts on it. Similar to how you ask us you know about the Yankees, and Jack will ask us about the White Sox. But I never asked about the Marlins because they were never really relevant. They kind of are now. Kevin Burrow asks trade deadline plan for the Marlins question mark, Obviously, we know they need catching, but what other positions do you see them targeting? And which prospects do you do you find partnering with to make a trade to boost the major league clubs? Sometimes the translation from social media is a little rough, sorry, but basically, what the Marlins do, what should their trade deadline plan be, and what positions should they upgrade? Obviously Kimming recently came out and said that they're surveying the catching market, but like, who isn't what else do you see Peter as someone that's you know, obviously not as emotionally attached maybe to the Marlins. Though I've feel like I've done a good job of removing myself to a degree there, But as an outsider so to speak, what would be your answer to Kevin's question in terms of what they should do all fill in on the prospect side, but specifically in the big league set, what should they answer? What is the most important area do you?
Speaker 1: I think the most important area is putting Jeens Cigar on the bench, which they have done more and more. And I think adding a third basement or a big time bat like that to this lineup would help even more. You know, there's a guy in Milwaukee's pretty good. Have you heard a Brian Anderson?
Speaker 2: Fuck you no?
Speaker 1: But in reality, so we talk about how the Giants, right, they'll probably be willing to part with a couple of bats. I don't know if the Giants want a guy like JD. Davis long term, but you put a guy like that on the Miami Marlins, right, because what are the Marlins always struggling with? Hitting left handed pitching? They've been better this season, but again you expect some of that kind of to regress back to the mean because normally they're better against right handed pitching. I'd like to see them add a bat like JD. Davis and they just have such a surplus of pitching that they can do again a Luisa Riaz for a Pablo Lopez type deal. I'm not saying they're going to do it, but potentially Braxy and Garrett for a bat. Right, they don't have to go deep into the prospect ranks in order to get a player. They can go to a relative contender and say, hey, blue Jays, you need pitching, we need hitting. Right, we talked about the wit Marrifield type deal from the Blue Jays. Right, the blue Jays ever since we did that, exactly said that, Sorry, who's going nuts?
Speaker 2: I said, he's been going nuts ever since we talked about with He's like.
Speaker 1: I don't want no, but that that's what I'm saying. So they're in a very good spot. They have a prospect surplus that they could potentially trade for for a bat to a non contender. But they also have some decent MLB pitchers that can help a contender right now in order to get a bat. So it's kind of limitless, like you can kind of do wherever you want. They are in a good spot here.
Speaker 2: So they were they would have been in a great spot. Now there's some interesting wrinkles that I'll throw to you here because I agree. But now, with some injuries and some innings limitations, the Marlins margin for error is a little thinner. They can do something, but they better do the right thing here. So I think they did the right thing by trading pobwe right, But now you look at what their situation is Uri Perez, it's more of a matter of if, not when, or excuse me, a matter of when not if. In terms of him getting shut down and not shut down for the season. I think they're gonna try to manage his innings so that he can pitch later into the year. But remember this this kid, he's twenty years old. He's never thrown more than seventy something innings, so he's already getting there, and they're gonna want to be very careful with him. I mean, you're looking at the next five, six, seven, eight years with this guy, and you know how special he is, So they got to manage his innings. Trevor Rodgers just had a little bit of a set back. He probably could be back back in a couple of weeks, but it was a setback on his other arm, thank goodness. So I think he's fine, Johnny Quato's on his way back. That's at least a good depth arm there for you. Edward Cabrera didn't look great, but they're gonna ride Wizardo, Cabret Sandy all the way. Jake Eater just threw again. That's one of their best pitching prospects. Max Meyers out for the year, but again he's already throwing and is on his way back. Assuming that you have to get through several months without Yuri, maybe Trevor's not back, get and you're waiting for Cuato to come back, you probably got a trade from the minor league surplus or the minor league guys that you have, And I guess my question for you is are you sold enough on what the Marlins are doing to trade a legitimate building block or are you going for more of the low budget move to go get like a JD. Davis Because to me, when you mentioned JD. Davis, that was perfect for me, because you're looking at this team, they're always going to be pitching centric. JD makes a big difference because it's not just adding JD. Davis, it's replacing Gene Segurro with JD. Davis, which is like a net extra win. So I would almost rather do the smaller move. But have you seen enough to maybe be excited enough to try to make a bigger splash and try to make a more aggressive move.
Speaker 1: The thing is, I think you already kind of answered your question, right, because if they were to make a bigger splash, they got to trade from a lack of assets per se. Right, Because if they're going to make a splash, they have to trade a Max Meyer and a Jake Eder or some sort of combination of those guys in order to get that big time bat. And then what that does is that ultimately takes away from your future in starting pitching, which you do have a good amount of. But Sandy's you know, problems have been well documented up up to this point, like Lozardo has kind of had his ups and downs. URI's gonna go down for the season. So if you trade away those big time pitchers, the the lack of depth is going to start going all in years. And then when I look at the current team as constructed, Jean Sigar is the only real hole. Like the Marlins aren't this star studded team. But when I go around the diamond, I'm not like that guy sucks. That guy sucks. It's catching and it's the Jean Sigura. Yeah, I don't really have a problem with their outfield. I don't really have a problem with their infield outside of him. I don't have a problem with their starting pitching. Maybe go get a couple of bullpen arms. But I think if they make small moves within the mar Urgeins, they will be competitive this year. And I think that's a step up from other Marlins teams.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. I think that's I think that's one hundred percent the move that they should make, especially because you mentioned if they do trade from Eater or Meyer, you're going all in on the aforementioned arms, which you have often injured Rogers and you have a I would say that Edward Cabrera and Hayess Wizardo are two of the most volatile pitchers in baseball right now. We'll like it so which you know, they're great and sometimes they're terrible. So from that lens like do you want to go all in on that rotation, like you want to have a little bit of buffer. I think you make a smaller move bolster the catching position, bolster third base and just ride the squad out. But I agree, like there's no gaping hole in you get Jazz back, and that's just another bat to add in there as well. So I'm with you on that. I don't think that they should do anything crazy. I'd make a smaller move or two and just kind of piece together and ride with this team and see what you can do.
Speaker 1: The only issue is there's not a ton of great catching options that are going to be available at the deadline, so you might just have to roll with Nick Fortes, which.
Speaker 2: Nick Fortes and no, I'm looking at just like upgrading from Jacob Stallings, Like just give me like Jon Gomes to me would be great. I would take. I don't like Joey Bart, but like, man, that's fine as a second as a second catcher anyone, but Jacob Stallings. I think he's actually the worst catcher in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 1: He's up there. I mean, Guardians fans would argue about Mike Sinino, but that's another for another time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's the worst catcher? Just a full hour debate you and I could probably do that.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: Next question comes from Riley mcelwaine two on Instagram, and I know that this is one that you like, Peter, if you could put a package together for Shane Bieber in a trade, what would they look like? So first, here, Peter, we got to identify a few teams. We've done that in a couple of episodes prior. I think the more that the Guardians struggle now, the more likely it teams that they could move him. What do we think the Guardians are looking for and what teams do we think will be in on the Guardians is where we'll start. All. Let you pick the teams and then all kind of add you know, which teams I think can offer a package maybe that the Guardians, yeah, I think would like, and then we can kind of come together with a conclusion.
Speaker 1: It is so funny, though, because while you're right, the Guardians are struggling a little bit, there's still just two and a half games back in the Minnesota Twins for the division. But at the same time, we brought up the Shane Bieber possible trade proposal before it got announced, not because we had some inside source about knowing that he potentially get traded, but that it made sense because the Guardians have this incredible surplus of starting pitching and the fact that they haven't signed him to a long term extension yet may put the writing on the wall that they're saying, yeah, we could potentially trade Shane Bieber if it meant's getting in an impact type that and among these reports that I'm reading on them, it is becoming increasingly clear that more teams are willing to do the Pablo Lopez for Luisa Rise type trade. That contenders are willing to say, hey, we'll trade with another contender. We need pitching, you need a bat. We got a bat. We need a bat, you got pitching. Like that kind of trade. It's so rare, which is so rare, rare, which is getting better. I love those type of trades. It feels like fantasy Baseball, right. You don't send some nineteen year old who maybe you've never heard of it, and it's like, well, great, are star just left. Now we have to wait a couple years and it may end up going great for you, But sometimes it doesn't. Like when you do that type of trade, you see the returns are immediate. So there's plenty of teams that I think could not only so we'll go over the contenders that potentially have a lot of bats who need pitching, and number one, we'll just go by division because there's almost one in every single division. The Baltimore Oriols and the Toronto Blue Jays come to my mind first, right, need pitching. They have MLB ready bats. Orioles have more of a prospect surplus that they can go to if the Guardians are more interested. Right, So the Baltimore Oriols and the Toronto Blue Jays first up on my list. Could the Houston Astros be interested? Right? Luis Garcia goes down Right now, they really only have Hunter Brown, Framber Valdez and Christianavier because McCullers it just continues to get piece to and they could really use a guy like Shane Bieber.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you have to operate under the assumption that mcculors is just not coming back this year really in any major capacity.
Speaker 1: And you could consider the Texas Rangers. I wouldn't be shocked about them either, and I would consider the Los Angeles Angels. So those five in the American League, I would say, are at the forefront. In the National League. I think you could put the Braves in there. Do I think they're gonna do it? No? Is it worth putting them in there. I think so. I think the Phillies could potentially be definitely involved here. The Mets just have Steve Cohen, so they're willing to part with assets because they want to compete. Now will they do it? Not? So sure? Should they be in the conversation? Yeah, I think so. Nobody really in the central comes out of me. I guess it's you could say the Brewers. I just don't really see them buying that like that.
Speaker 2: That would blow my mind, and then you could get anything. They might go the other way.
Speaker 1: Then you could say the Cardinals, right, and we're going to talk about them in a little bit, but they'll be in the I don't know if they're buying. I don't know if they're selling. We'll hold pat on them at least for this moment, because not only are we unsure if they're buying or selling, even if they were buying, we're not sure that they'd part with any assets, but they have such a perfect package that they could do it, so we might as well just mention them. The Dodgers have to be included in this discussion. The Diamondbacks should be included in this discussion. Yeah, Andre's maybe, like there's a lot of teams who would need Shane Bieber. So of those teams, which three shot out at you, and then we could compile a package for those three, and then of other teams can say, all right, that's what we need to do in order to get Shane Bieber.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think. I think you look at the West and the NLS specifically, we could have a good old fashioned bidding war between the Diamondbacks and the Dodgers and the Padres, and I think that that I don't I want to kind of survey more of the league, but when I look at it from this onnes, I could see all three teams being even more interested. Do you remember kind of with Scherzer and Trey Turner, but specifically with the whole Scherzer sweepstakes, how the Padres were in and the Dodgers kind of topped them at the eleventh hour, and it made it that much more painful for the Padres because not only did you not get Max Scherzer, you also lost him to your direct competitor. All three of those teams can really could really use as Shane Bieber. As we know, the Dodgers this is as thin pitching wise as they've been in some of the youngsters. Obviously, Bobby Miller looks great, but Kevin Stone doesn't look like he's quite ready. The Padres, you have the most aggressive general manager in Major League Baseball, and you know, they're they're not good right now, but they're they're still good enough to hang around and they're not going to mail it in, especially after sure what they gave up for Soto, and the system is kind of strengthened up a little bit. And then you know, we know the Diamondbacks that I think are almost a perfect trade partner as well, Like they can definitely put together a few different packages, and Bieber instantly makes that team a legitimate, legitimate playoff contender. You know, they go from regular season Warriors to Okay, you got Zach Gallan, Okay, you got Shane Bieber, Okay, you got Merril Kelly. I'm okay with that three headed monster in the postseason. So those three teams stand out the most to me. I don't know if there's anyone in the American League side that you know, really really catches your eye, but I got to look at the NLS just specifically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I put my eggs in the American League East part. I just think that the Orioles and the Blue Jays are both in prime positions to make a deal like this. Right, you look at the Orioles and they have plenty of Major league bats. How about Anthony Sontander for one, Right, how about Austin Hayes. Like a lot of these guys where we have infield prospects coming up, Hyman Taale, guys like that. The Guardians would probably love horhem and Tale, even though he has been striking out a little bit more, but had him and ad Adam Fraser. Adam Fraser sounds such like a Guardian. But those type of players could potentially be included into a deal. And that's not to mention if the Guardians want to dip into the prospect bucket, they say, hey, we need to shortstop. We think Jordan Westburg is ready right now. We'd like Jordan Westburg as a headliner in the Shane Bieber deal. And then when we look at the Toronto Blue Jays, the problem is that the Blue Jays don't really have MLB ready bats that I think the Guardians would be that interested in, because like, you're not trading Springer, Vladdie or Bashett or Chapman or bar Show I do think.
Speaker 2: I mean the Blue Jays have been aggressive. There is one way where you can entice the Guardians, I think, and it's dangle your really high upside pitching prospects. If they dangled Brandon barryerare baring and Berera, left handed pitcher, first round pick up to ninety eight, he's been a little banged up this year, I wouldn't do it. I think that's really aggressive. But the Blue Jays are very locked in on winning now. Barrera is obviously very far off, and they have tetam In and those guys are pretty similar. I mean the Guardians, the way they develop pitching. You've got to be licking your chops. If you get an opportunity to add a pitcher like that to your system, because it's just an allocation of assets, then you can use all of the other pitching prospects. You have to go get a bat another time. That's how the Blue Jays would probably have to do it. They'd probably have to give up a higher quality prospect than anybody else, but they could do it. They've got enough of at least if you start with Burrera, you can put together a package with the Orioles. I'm looking at the outfield too, right because you look at the Guardian situation, I think they call up Ryan Rokio and I think he ends up being their guy up the middle with Andre Semenez. But there's several outfielders you mentioned Santan Dera. But if if the Guardians are looking more for control, I don't know if Kowser will be available, but they've got several other guys. Judd Fabian looks really good right now. They've got heston kers Dad, who's been fantastic. Heston kurs Dad would be a basically everything they need is hest Kurstad. He'd be their best power bat right now. So they could really put together something exciting there with Cursed Dad and then and to kind of conceptualize.
Speaker 1: It, curseed add wouldn't be a better power bat than like Jose Ribirez.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, obviously I'm looking at like everybody else like he could be. He could develop into, you know, I think, a better power bat than basically everybody else, which is which is pretty nuts to say.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think if you went Cursed Dad and two solid fill ins. Sezar Prieto has had a phenomenal year and one other solid prospect that could get you two years a year and a half of Shane Bieber, no problem, I think.
Speaker 1: But let's say the Guardians say we want to compete right now and we don't think that Curse Dad is going to be that difference banker. What if they say we need Cursed and Anthony Santan Derek.
Speaker 2: Who that's interesting, there's been swinging it better later.
Speaker 1: He's good. He's he's like one of those MLB ready bats that will help the Guardians immediately. And he's not like a huge shrike ut guy fits their model like he he'd be a good hitter in their lineup.
Speaker 2: A free agent after this year and next year.
Speaker 1: We can look that up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's look that up, because that if he's a free agent after this year, I'm in. He's a free agent after next year. That's a lot. It's a lot.
Speaker 1: But it's also Shane Bieber.
Speaker 2: It is Shane Bieber. But is it Shane Bieber?
Speaker 1: You're right, it's not deep. Maybe it is same Shane Bieber.
Speaker 2: He looks really good last start. He's leading the league in innings pitched. Right now, he's got three to nine.
Speaker 1: It's still gonna be the Shane Bieber that throws one hundred and ninety five to two hundred and five innings at a three four R. It's extremely valuable.
Speaker 2: I think he's gonna be valued at that. So yeah, I do think Santian Darren Kurstad is a fun deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like that, and and they don't feel that at all. No, it sure sound time there swings it. You know, you gotta hope someone else steps up in the lineup. Okay, Gunnar Henderson stepping up right now, by the way, going nuclear nuclear, Yeah, I like that. I like that a lot for both teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's good for the Guardians. So now let's go to the National League West. I'm just kicking out the Padres because I don't even think that they trade wib ready bats right now for a show, and their system is absolutely drained. So I think we focus on the Dodgers and the Diamondbacks because those two teams are competing and both needs starting pitching. What do you think the Diamondbacks would have to give up? Because I think they could revolve a deal around a Alec Thomas, potentially a Jake McCarthy and then prospects. If you're looking at the Dodgers, maybe a Miguel Vargas could be included in a deal. Maybe a Michael Bush. Guys like that. Immediate help, immediate help to the Guardians offensively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bush basically instantly would would be able to plug into their lineup in some capacity. Uh, Vargas fits their mold really well.
Speaker 1: I think you have to give up Vargas.
Speaker 2: I think you would probably unless you want to give up just a prospect, you know, package, like a really good thing.
Speaker 1: But the Guardians want to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if operating under the assumption that the Guardians want big league help in this swap.
Speaker 1: I think we have to. If the Guardians were ten and a half back, but they're two and a half back, Yeah right, They're right there. And it's not like the Twins are playing good baseball either. The Twins lead this division at thirty four and thirty three. I know the Guardians, they got off to a slow start last year. They still see the division within their sights. I think if they're trading Shane Bieber, it is not for a rebuild. They're trading Shane Bieber just because they have so many pitchers, just McKenzie comes back and looks pretty good. I know he kind of struggled in his last Star, but he was excellent his first start. He's still fantastic. Yeah, Gavin Williams is gonna come up, Tanner, Biby, Logan all and we can continue. Right, So, I think we have to look at it from the lens of the Guardians want to compete. Now, if you want Shaitane Bieber, you have to give us young, controllable bats or a real MLB hitter right now that could potentially be a free agent next year or the year after, and a prospect like we did Santander and Heston Kerstad like. It would have to be Vargas and then probably another piece for Shane Bieber. And then for the Diamondbacks it's a tough one. Like tel Marte, No they sign him to that extension, that wouldn't be him. It probably wouldn't be a guy like Josh Rowell would have.
Speaker 2: It would have to be McCarthy and Tom Thomas. But both of those guys have struggled, so you'd have to attach a better prospect.
Speaker 1: McCarthy's been better better Yeah, well yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Vargas, Like Vargas could almost get I think would almost be enough on his own, just because he's proven as a big, big batt and has so much control, and maybe you have to attach a prospect, a decent prospect there, But that would be a great, a great combination there, McCarthy or Thomas like there, getting another like Miles Straw right now, obviously way more offensive upside, but you got to attach a pretty good prospect in there too. Than I'm they can do it. They could, They could absolutely do it. They could. They could offer a handful of different exciting prospects. It's also wild like Geraldo Perdomo's playing out of his mind, So that's a guy that you know now you have in the fold while war is gonna be up. That's obviously an untouchable guy. But other than that, you know, they've got a handful of prospects. I think that they could attach to one of those big league or quadruple A right now in Alec Thomas, Jake McCarthy type guys and figure something out. So I think the Diamondbacks could put together kind of anything they're willing to put together too. But obviously the Dodgers can just outbid anybody, which is the hardest part.
Speaker 1: So who would be that last prospect as we wrap up, if you were to combine Jake McCarthy and who for Shane Bieber.
Speaker 2: Thinking about it from the lens of like, what would they want from the Arizona Diamondbacks. Obviously you're not trading Drew Jones, You're not trading You're not gonna trade loll Or. Then Davison Dela Santos is really intriguing, really intriguing talent.
Speaker 1: You're getting Shane Bieber.
Speaker 2: They'd have to attach Davison, Dela Santos and Jake McCarthy. Yeah, I'd say Davison, Dela Santos, Jake McCarthy, and then another like aj Bukovich who's been swinging it really well. Dom Fletcher, who looks really good in the upper miners and in a little big league cameo, looks really solid.
Speaker 1: They probably want Fletcher. They probably want the guys who can compete.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, I'd say probably Fletcher, Dela Santos, and then one of those other outfitters.
Speaker 1: That's a hall, it's a hut. It's Shane Bieber, It's Shane Bieer. We're not we're not trading for Michael Loredzon over here. This is Shane fucking Bieber. You're gonna have to give up a lot.
Speaker 2: It's the ed.
Speaker 1: It's a starting pitcher, the most prized asset in Major League Baseball, and Shane Bieber is gonna throw you innings like he's a two hundred innings guy. Those are few and far between, right. I know this stuff has been declining. I know he's not the Shane Bieber that won the Cy Young in that shortened season, but he's still very good. And we have a question coming up where he's at the top of that list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, so we'll get into one more question then I got to tell you a little bit about so rare, of course, and I got a crazy, crazy tweet at me in regards to so rare of one of the best lineups I think I've ever seen constructed from our guy Tanner Clifton, who's I know, been a long time listener. But we'll get one more question in before that. Real quick, you guys, preach how important command is in a picture? Can you go more in depth on the difference between command and control and give some examples of pictures who have good control and but poor command. That's from z Underscore strow fifteen on Instagram. This was a great question because this is something that I'm always diving into in the prospect world, and it's something that is hard to really be able to quantify. In the data you got to watch and and see. You can obviously pick up locations, but it also depends on where the catcher was set up in all those things. But before we get into specific examples, command and control, and I see this question brought up a lot, whether it's with a prospect or a big leguer. Control is just simply your ability to not walk guys. Simply your ability to throw it inside of that imaginary box that we see, you know on television. Don't walk guys, That's it. Command is how are you hitting your spots are when the situation calls for a fastball in are you running it back over the middle too often? Are you, you know, throwing a non competitive pitch every once in a while where it's like WHOA where did that come from? Really? Are you hitting your spots and are you sequencing well? And that's the biggest thing, and also usually I would say broader command is over multiple pitches. Control. You could see a guy that throws his fastball for a strike, doesn't really have a great feel for the other pitches, but doesn't walk a lot of guys because he can go back to the fastball. So I have some examples. I don't know if you had any examples off of your mind, Peter, but that's kind of the primer on command versus control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt about it. And the way I like to look at it is arms right. It's very hard to quantify this type of stuff, and you just gotta have to watch a lot of baseball. And the way I look at it, watch where the catcher is positioned, and watch if that pitcher is hitting the gloff right where the catcher wants to sit. Because there's a difference between throwing a slider in the middle of the zone and throwing a slider low and away for a strike. That is the difference between control and command. And a couple of guys who I think both have great control and great command is a guy like Shane Bieber, who I think throws as many strikes as possible, but you don't see the catcher ever move in his mitt. I think at the peak of his powers, Max Scherzer was a great example of a guy with elite control, with elite command of the strike zone. A guy I've noticed this year who normally has good command of the strike zone, and you can point to other factors. Right, his fastball velocity is a little bit down, the spin rates a little bit down, the shape is a little bit different, and that's why he's getting hit up a little bit. But when I watch Logan Gilbert starts, I feel that he still has control. He's not walking guys, but his command of the strike zone doesn't look as good as previous years. You look at a lot of the heat zones, it's kind of just red in the strike zone. Right. He likes to throw that up fastball, but it's been really middle this season. Right, His other off speed pitches they're kind of leaving middle. It's not bad, you're still throwing strikes, but you're not throwing those pitches as out pitches. You're throwing them right in the middle of the zone. And against big league hitters, anybody can hit that. That's what's led I think to his four point three to eight ERA this season. Now, that's just one example. It's not the full scope. It's not oh is command hasn't been good. That's why he's getting hit. There are other indicators. He's just the guy who I noticed who I'm used to put him, putting it wherever he wants, and he's still throwing strikes, but they're more in the middle of his zone, which is a lack of command.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got it. I think that's a great example right there with Gilbert, a pretty fastball heavy guy. So you got to be commanding the fastball to set the tone for everything else. And my example would actually be a you a youngster who can get away with not having great fastball command. But I think it's a difference between him being more of a number two, number three versus number four, number five Bryce Miller. He was able to get away with it in the minor leagues because I've talked about that eighty fastball. Bryce Miller can go middle middle and get away with it. But as you mentioned Peter, in major league baseball, you don't get away with as much. That's what made it so remarkable with Miller is that he still was getting away with it. But that's a guy that you look at. The walk numbers are relatively low, but you'll see the home run numbers higher. It's a broad brush, but I would say you could typically put those guys in the control over command bucket. The guys that don't walk a lot of hitters but give up a lot of home runs. Those are usually the guys that you missed their spots within the zone a little bit. And that's exactly you know what Gilbert's spend this year, That's what Bryce Miller is And there's plenty of other examples. But that was a great question because I think a lot of people are always kind of wondering what the big difference is between the two, and.
Speaker 1: A good example of guys with no control and no command are guys like Jack Flaherty of the Saint Louis Cardinals, Blake Snell of the San Diego Padres, Josiah Gray of the Washington Nationals. And another example of a guy who I think might be the only player major League Baseball last season who had great command but not a lot of control, if that makes sense, was cal quatrill I always felt that cal Quadra was throwing that cutter right outside the zone. It wasn't a strike, but he was getting hitters to chase because it looked like a strike, looked like a strike that wasn't a strike, so he wasn't throwing a ton of strikes. His walk rate was a little bit higher if he didn't get those guys to kind of chase slightly outside the zone, but when they did, he allowed a lot of soft contact ended up getting that ground balled to get out of the inning. He was He's one of the first guys I've ever watched who doesn't have great control in terms of throwing somebody strikes. But he actually had very good command and there's so many ways to work around.
Speaker 2: It, which is the most like brain numbing twister like of all time. But I would agree with quantrills like that in that bucket real quick before we get to questions. The final few questions here reminder to sign up for our So Rare League. The link is in our podcast description. It's so much fun. It's fantasy, really just the most fun way possible. You get to pick up your cards, get to draft your cards, those players you plug in your lineup. Every single week he gets to compete against me Peter Jack, and we give away merch to the winners. I saw. Thank you to those who DM me and sent me a screenshot of their line up. Hey, this was me that just dominated this week. We will send you some merch. We got some new merch on the way that we're gonna be putting up on the store this week, so you'll get some of the new stuff. But so rare, so much fun. I play in the limited leagues now too, which is you pick up the cards for I bought that Kerry Carpenter for seven bucks. I bought Michael Lorenzen for three bucks, but then I just sporged recently, and you know, bought in Austin Riley, which was like eighteen or whatever. And those are really fun too. But you don't need to spend a time to play with us. You can also draft your team for free and enter these competitions for a chance to still win prizes. Tanner Clifton reached out to me on Twitter. He's in first place of all of the leagues, like our league obviously, and then the whole league of everything, of everyone, all twenty four thousand people. So he would get like a legitimately good limited card, which means like he's gonna if he holds this spot number one, he could get like an Austin Riley or somebody better than that and a limited card to build out his limited team, or he could just sell it for like forty fifty bucks or however much that card is that he pulls. So shout out, Tanner Clifton, he's balling out, send me your screenshots. I've enjoyed all the dms I've got. It's a lot of fun to join the So Rare League.
Speaker 1: Not surprised, Tanner's agoat He's been listening to the podcast for a long time. It's one of the smartest people alive.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, I would say, are we going to kind of take a little credit for that? Right?
Speaker 1: Oh, we shouldn't take any credit at all. But Tanner, I do really appreciate you. Listen, my friend, and you're killing it and so rare and you can join. The link is in the episode description. It's an absolute no brainer. It's not like, oh, then you pay nine to ninety nine a month and we know it's a free app. We want everyone to join our fantasy Baseball league so we can compete and then send you guys free mercha. But the easiest ad read I've ever done, because it's so much fun and it's just it's a link click and you play fantasy Baseball with your boys.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's so fun and again like if you do fall in love with it, definitely play the limited competitions and you can spend some money. But again you don't have to, which is the cool part. It's free. Or you can dive deeper and be obsessed with it like I am so again link in the episode description. Next question, it's a Red Sox related question. Are the Red Sox salvageable or is it time to blow it up even more? This comes from d book Cards on Instagram. There's a reason why I put this question in here, Peter, I actually don't want to shit on the Red Sox. I actually want to highlight the pieces that are clearly a part of what they're building here, and then the pieces that they should move. It shouldn't blow it up. There's not much to blow up. The guys that are performing for you are guys you should keep, and the guys that you know I think I have been a little bit of a pleasant surprise. Maybe trade them. I think ultimately you should be if you're the Red Sox, if you're Heine Bloom trading the James Paxtons of the world, sell high on him. Pick up a prospect or two. You might get a sneaky good you know, return there. Because he really good.
Speaker 1: It's been dominant, he's.
Speaker 2: Been really good, and I will say heine Bloom. The one thing that he has done really well is identify prospects. He comes from that background, identify prospects and do well on those mid level deals. He did really well on the Christian Vasquez trade. I loved Emmanuel vale As and will you're bray you given that it was a rental for Christian Vasquez. I think that's what they should really do, and they should focus on next year. There's a team that could be good next year. Jaron Duran has turned into a legitimate piece. I assume they extend Verdugo, who is slumping, but his looks better this year. Ralphaeod Devers is about to go nuclear. Trevor Story will be back. I don't think he's as good as what they paid him to be, but he's better than what they've got out there. I can tell you that Yoshida is a monster with the bat like they've and their catching situation is way better than we thought it would be. They got to figure out the pitching, They got to find more arms, but I don't think they're that far off. I wouldn't strade any controllable pieces, but I would trim some of the fat and cash in on some of the rentals or the guys that aren't going to be a part of your team two three years from now.
Speaker 1: From a Yankee fan to a Red Sox fan, we're in a gauntlet of a division. This sucks, right, We're in the same boat Red Sox fans. The Yankee fans were in the same boat, Like, yeah, the Yankees have been a little bit better this season, but we're gonna be without Judge for an extended period of time. And the Blue Jays are just starting to heat up too, and the Orioles are just they win every day and it doesn't even matter. And then the Rays, it's it's headlines whenever they lose a game, like that's the reality the situation. And then you have a bunch of teams in the West also battling it out, so that classic, well, three teams from the American League East are gonna make it is not the case this year. It may end up happening, but it's not nearly as clear as it has been in previous seasons. So as a Yankee fan, I'm not very confident about us making the playoffs. And the Red Sox are objectively worse than the Yankees are. I think that's just a fact, right so, because the Yankees are gonna get healthier, and even so, the Red Sox are playing really bad baseball. So while the Yankees are losing games, the Red Sox are dropping games to the Rockies. But I'm not shitting on the Red Sox because to your point, they can do a lot here. Brian Bao is putting up a very good may and he looks to be a building block for the future in this rotation. Absolutely, Whitlock has struck, but you're not gonna trade him. He's twenty seven years old. He's gonna be a guy who you have in your rotation for a long time. Cutter Crawford, I think, is just a bullpen arm. I bet on him the other day two innings and I was like, holy shit, because his advance ever was really good. His x ero is really long, like damn, Like, yeah, he's had some tough starts, but no, he just falls apart in the third inning because that's what he is. He's a bullpen dome kind of what Tanner Hawk is. Like Tanner Hawk could eventually be if he adds a really good new third pitch and is able to get out one side of the plate, like potentially.
Speaker 2: He could be. He could have an e Flin track.
Speaker 1: He could have an e Flin track. I wouldn't be surprised at all. So those are your guys. You're moving Cutter Crawford to the bullpen, but BeO how Whitlock and then like, I don't know what you're gonna do with Chris Sale, but you have some solid guys in the bullpen. You could potentially trade off, but Verdugos Stan Yoshida's staying, Devers is staying Cossas is staying outside of that, you can trade some guys, but you can the great The Red Sox are in a spot where they can still be competitive. Yeah, while selling off because the top half of your team is still very good, especially on offense. That's why they rank eighth and ops as a team this season, and.
Speaker 2: That's their controllable core. Like though, those are their guys, So yeah, I agree. I think you focus on next year. You pick up some good prospects, you make some smaller moves, but you don't deplete the team so that nobody's gonna say, oh, they're burning it down. But you shouldn't be buying. You shouldn't be like, oh, let's try to put this thing together now. Chris Sales out for two months. That the only way that this team was finding any successes here is if Chris Sale played pitched out of his mind and he showed flashes. But obviously he's out for multiple months here, so they should just make the smaller moves. Trade a Paxton, trade a Bullpen, Armoor two. Maybe someone calls on Duval, Trade Duval and call it a day. Marcella Meyers getting closer. It's already in double there's other pieces that don Rafael. I still think it's gonna be a big leagu piece for them. They have a little bit more time to just see what they got there and then attack free agency, make a trade or two in the offseason for an arm and then really go full bore into next year.
Speaker 1: I think that's the They're kind of like the American League Giants right now. Right still in a good position, still have a good core to build around, but you can trade some of those veterans that aren't going to be a part of the future, recoup assets, be in a better position, then trade for the big fish. Once you sign some more free agents next season, and you'll be right back in the thick of it. The Red Sox have been through this before. They've had last place finishes that then turned into World Series appearances or wins the year after. They've done this before, and they could potentially do it again. I would not be surprised to see the Astros the Red Sox competing for a division title next year if they follow this plan, if they believe they are buyers, I think that could actually hurt them long term. Yeah, because if you trade big time prospects in order to get that piece. I don't think the Red Sox have the skeleton to compete with some of these great team teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree, and especially just the pitching. So I think they know that too, and and and they'll be a good team next year. I do believe that. I see it. I see it tracking that way. This one's a question for me, But number five is from Divas eighteen on Instagram. Who's the biggest boomer Bus prospect in the top one hundred right now. The reason why I threw this one in here is I wanted to talk about Emmanuel Rodriguez, and Emmanuel Rodriguez is by far maybe the biggest boomer Bus prospect I think I've ever seen. Uh This dude, twenty years old Minnesota Twins organization outfielder. His numbers look terrible on the surface, but he has insane potential. His dude has already hit a ball one hundred and seventeen miles per hour this year. He just turned twenty. I mean one hundred and seventeen. That's harder than Austin Riley. That's harder than some of the most impressive power bats in the game. He also is too patient, always talking about patient's first passiveness. He's passive chase rate of ten percent. So this guy's striking out more than he should. But I think it's literally because he's just taking too many strikes and then getting himself deep intoccounts and then you get a high a umpire that's gonna ring you up. There's some things he needs to tweak with his swing to get to where he needs to be, but there is nobody in the lower levels walking as much as he does while hitting balls one hundred and seventeen miles an hour at his age. Emmanuel Rodriguez of the Twins is my biggest boomer bus guy. And then I gotta go to Spencer Jones. I was really excited about him this year. I'm still very excited about him. I thought that the bust potential would be a little bit shorter, like I didn't think he'd be as volatile. He's striking out way too much in High A right now, but he's also hitting the crap out of the ball. He's running well, he looks pretty good in center. The approach has to improve. But Spencer Jones with the Yanks like as a six foot seven dude, insane swing, insane power. If it's if he hits like if his boom is top five prospects in baseball, his bust is he never hits en off. So those are the two guys, two outfielders that are my biggest boom robust guys in the top one hundred.
Speaker 1: Wins and Yankees guys who breed boomer bust guys. Apparently, I'm sure you could throw, sure you could throw Jason di Mingez into that, into that bucket too. Boom is a top five center fielder and Baseball Perennial All Star. Bust is the carcass of Gary Sanchez, who's now crushing it for the Padres, or the carcass of Aaron Hicks, who's also crushing it for the Baltimore Oriols. Great, good job, Yank.
Speaker 2: Good stuff. Next question is a really fun one. I got this actually through the through a personal message from my bud, my buddy Danny Rodriguez here, so at not d rod on Twitter. He said this was a big debate with the boys in his group chat, so they wanted our thoughts on this. Would you rather have nine Kyle Schwarber's in your lineup or nine Louisa Rises. So the context here Schwarber's been iffy this year. Rise is playing at the top of his game, so we're taking the peak Schwarber, so when he was clicking on cylinders last year, pretty much what he did last year, versus what a Rise is doing right now, which means they're gonna get a pretty similar WRC plus, but in the most opposite ways humanly possible. We're also discarding defense. It's just in your lineup, who do you want a peak Schwarber or this peak Arias right now, nine of them? Which do you want?
Speaker 1: Peter surprises is even a debate. To be completely honest with you, I would take nine Luisa Riaz's over, like a lot of players in Major League Baseball, no disrespect to Kyle Schwarber, because I have a guy who can play multiple positions. I have a guy who imagine Luisa ria Is followed by Luis A. Rias. Louis rise is getting Luise Rias over, and then Luisa rise Is getting that base hit to score. Luisa Rias Gosharber could shake out three times at the same inning, right if he leads off the game with the strikeout and then a walk and then maybe a home run, Like you maybe have two runs, but there aren't gonna be many outs in the Luisa Rias team. And then when you factor in defense too, I don't know how good they are on the mount. That might have to be you know, some sort of the debate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, we're going we're just just the bat, just.
Speaker 1: My taking the guy who's almost hitting four hundred, or am I taking the guy who has forty home runs but at the same time is gonna hit two ten right. I know the WRC plus is in peak, Schwarberg gonna be fine. But if I'm building a baseball team, there's no question I'm going with nine Luis Rises.
Speaker 2: So here here's the interesting thing. Luisa Riaz also is going to be near the top in baseball and grounded in double plays. So you're going to have that single and then the double play, and now you got nobody on and two outs. Pretty quickly, Schwarber may strikeout, strike out, then the third batter goes deep, the third Schwarberg goes deep, and now you got to run. I'm with you. I, of course, being the Marlins guy, I'm going to lean Arias. But there's an interesting angle of Schwarber walks. He's gonna get on base at a similar ish clip, and you can get that home run, but.
Speaker 1: Not similar ish like. If we're taking both primes. Schwarber's not putting up a four hundred OVP. Has he ever had a season where he put up near what Luisa Rise is doing right now? And if we factor in defense at all, even though defense that's what I preface with, Oh no defense, okay, no defense at.
Speaker 2: All, just the bat, I would say I gotta take.
Speaker 1: Luis Rise, because it's not like like Luisa Rise can hit a home run. He's not gonna hit zero home runs this year right one. He might hit six or seven this year. Like I have to take that.
Speaker 2: Schwarber's twenty twenty one three seventy four on base, thirty two homers, and then twenty twenty two on base was terrible three twenty three, but he had forty six homers. For the sake of argument, I'll go with the twenty twenty one season one forty five WRC plus. Do you have a rise is WRC plus up in front of you right now?
Speaker 1: No, but I can get it in about forty seconds or less than that forty seconds. I way over value that would have.
Speaker 2: Been a really slow type.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Luis a. Riaz's WRC plus in twenty twenty three is one forty eight right now, but it's followed by a one thirty one last year, like Shover goes through these ups and downs. So it's also not totally fair to that argument we just take the prime year, because if we're just taking the prime year, like no doubt I'm taking this, Luis Aria is hitting three eighty two, striking up five percent of the time with a one forty eight WRC plus. Yeah, I'll add no defense, but of course I'm taking that.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because do you know that there's a facet of people out there that would absolutely, oh yeah, analytically driven. And that's not to bash analytics at all, like, but there's there's a lot of people out there that not a lot, I think there's just their louder that try to invalidate what Louise Arias is doing. And you know say that a bunch of singles is not nearly as valuable as plenty of homers. And I think WRC plus will will show that there's a lot of different ways to kind of slice the apple to create runs. Yeah, there's a lot of different ways to create runs, but over the course of an entire season, I'm with you. I will take the consistency. I will also take the guy that's going to really make pictures grind and no, Schwarber's patient and makes pictures grind from that regard, but they also has a lot of three four pitch punchies. A Rise is never gonna do that. He's going to grind it out. There's gonna be times where maybe he jumps on an early pitch and grounds out is what it is. But he's always putting the ball in play, and with shift limitations, a Riaz gets the nod. If there was no shift limitation, I think Schwarber has a stronger case. But I just think it's too it's too easy for Louis a Riaz to just pick up a hit every single day for some reason.
Speaker 1: For some reason, we think Luise Rise or maybe when I say we, I mean me. I think Louise Rise is thirty twenty six, you know, like Schwarber's kind of not been through his prime and he's passed his prime, because I still think he's he he's swinging in and I still think he's at least in the back half of his prime, as Luisa Ria is entering his prime. So last year with the shift, the dude led the league in batting average and at a one thirty one WRC plus will walking more than he struck out right, and he hit eight home runs. This year, he could hit six to eight home runs while hitting three sixty, striking up five percent of the time, and putting up a one to fifty WRS plus. That's just if we just look at WRS plus creating runs park adjusted Luisa rise. What he's doing right now, getting into his prime, is better than what Chober's ever done.
Speaker 2: I agree. And the thing too is in what I said when the Marlins got a Rise, and I wrote this in the piece too, is people are like, Oh, he's going into you know, not loan Depot or lone Depot park.
Speaker 1: It's gonna help him.
Speaker 2: That's what I That was my argument. People are like, Oh, he's going there. Now, he's gonna have no home runs. Great, he's gonna have a way more doubles, way more singles because he has enough power to beat you over the head just enough, but so you got to play straight up. But he just drops so many little flarees left right, whatever. He has so much room to work with out there, and I really think that that's what's worked in his favor. I'm with you, I'm with the nine Louise Rises. But I do know that there's I want to see, Like those who are out there, if you're in their YouTube comments or whatever or on Twitter, tweet at us make your Kyle Schwarber argument, because I agree. I think it's pretty pretty easily arise given what he's doing. But I would love to hear the prime Schwarber argument and maybe I'm sure that there's some some good reasoning behind it too.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be like Philly Cheese Eggs zero six nine saying we're idiots and that Kyle Schwarber would clear Luise Rise and I cannot wait to interact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hertz fan two four five, Yeah, Yeah, it's gonna be something like that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Eagles twenty twenty four sil champs. There they are scary.
Speaker 2: The last question, and we had to finish with this one right now that we are in June and the Cardinals hold one of the worst records in MLB, well teams call about the availability of Paul gold Schmid and should the Cardinals look to sell at the deadline or retool to gear up for twenty twenty four. That comes from Emmett. I hope I say this right McMenemy on Instagram. Yeah, it's Emmett McMenamy on Instagram. Okay, I at first shot this question down because I was like, no, shot they trade Goldie And you said to me more than one, don't we talk about it? Which is always the best rebuttal for you know, two podcast planning. Yeah, two guys that are planning on, you know, scoping out the podcast what they want to talk about. So great rebuttal and here we are. I think that Cardinals fans are understandably losing their goddamn minds.
Speaker 1: As they shot because it's horrible right now, and I understand it's horrible.
Speaker 2: I think that they should potentially fire Ali mar Maal. I think that they should consider a lot of things. The one thing they shouldn't consider is trading either of the future Hall of famers on either corner. I know Goldschman maybe has a little bit more work to do. That's not the same. That's not the point here, though. Those two guys, even though they're aging, are still playing really and Aeronado is already really heating up Goldie is Goldie are Do you think the Cardinals can be good next year?
Speaker 1: Peter, of course, of course.
Speaker 2: So then why the hell would you trade Paul Goldchman. Even if you get a return, it's not gonna be a life changing return because he only is one year control after this and it's for twenty six million dollars, which is a great deal for him. But at the end of the day, you're not gonna get a haul of all halls. It's gonna be a good haul, but it's not gonna be Twan Soto, So why would you do that. You're gonna retool and get back to next year. So first of all, no, you're not training Paul Goldman. Second of all, we can answer the rest of the question, Peter if you have anything else to add, But like, they should make trades, they should do stuff. We'll talk about that to wrap this up, But not trading Paul Goldgman.
Speaker 1: Right, a quick story and it's about a different team. So I'm listening to David Cohene on WFN with with Michael ka. I don't know if it's Wfan, it's Michael k Show. And he was asked, are you surprised that Steve Cohen, the owner of the New York Mets, has not fired Billy Eppler or filed fired Buck Showalter. And David Cohn gave a really good answer, and he said, Steve Cohen knows about random variants that all he can do is push his chips in the middle and let the poker hand play. Right. He knows that in one hand you could get two aces, in the other hand, you could get a seven and a two, but that there's random variants. He knows that he put a good team on the table and that there's going to be really bad bad step. Sometimes you lose the pocket aces, and that's what I feel like the Cardinals are doing right now. They're losing with two kings against teams that have pocket aces. They still have a very good team. And the reason also about the Steve Cohen thing is that David Cone said, Steve Cohen knows about markets that they go up and they go down. It's kind of the same thing in gambling. This could end up biting me in the ass. We're recording on Wednesday, June fourteenth. I bet on the Cardinals today against the San Francisco Giants. Anthony Descafani for Sean Montgomery. I think the betting market is now starting to fall on the Saint Louis Cardinals. As you hear them freaking out, you know, it's rock bottom. I even saw that bench clearing kind of incident, even though it's bench clearing like way now.
Speaker 2: We're so desperate for fights that we call everything bench exactly.
Speaker 1: When everyone stands up. So the Cardinals stood up out of the dugout and it created this little fuss, and it does feel like rock bottom. Now is the point where, at least as a betting man, I'm going to start to buy in on the Cardinals right because I think this is rock bottom. Twenty seven and forty one as we sit here today is rock bottom. Luckily, the Pirates lead the division a couple of games over five hundred. You're not truly out of it. We talk about with the Guardians threaty one and thirty five and two and a half games out. You are lucky that you're in a division where you could compete. Cardinals fans take a good hard look at your roster, and I know it's been terrible, and I know guys have not been performing up to expectations, but are you shitting me? It's still one of the better rosters in all of Major League Baseball. The problem is starting pitching. If you are able to trade a Tyler O'Neal, who you could totally do in exchange for a Shane Bieber, and then you're right back into it. Go do that same kind of Cantana deal, Go do that same kind of Montgomery deal.
Speaker 2: You have all the.
Speaker 1: Pieces to do it, So no, should they blow it up? Absolutely not. But the reason I wanted to talk to you about the Goldie thing is I don't think it's insanity because and only if they go on more historic losing streets, like if we're saying, oh yeah, this is rock bottom. They lose ten in a row, they go five and fifteen over their next twenty games, and they're like way way in the cellar and some And you get on the phone with a contender that says we are going to give you the freaking world for Paul Goldschmidt, then it's like, all right, he is getting towards the end of his career, even though he is playing great. You need to blow us out of the water. A team says we will blow it you out of the water, and then some I could understand listening. We say that all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you gotta listen.
Speaker 1: I think of the right deal, anyone on planet Earth is available, but it has to be the right deal. But to answer the question will they trade Paul gold Schmidt, I would say ninety nine point nine to nine percent chance they don't. But there always is that zero point zero one and we see it in baseball all the time. So that would be my answer.
Speaker 2: I think the only move I wouldn't do anything that puts the Chips forward any further on this season. I would ride it out. The only move I would make would be a Tyler oneil because you know he's not a part of your long term future. He's only under control. I think one more year after this year.
Speaker 1: Ali Marble hates them and you ad Alli mar right.
Speaker 2: John mosey Lock, Yeah, that's the only thing. I might fire him. But you look at next year. No matter how bad this season goes, If it's one of those situations where they can't climb all the way out of the hole that they dug themselves, fine, it's a fresh start next year and it's a new hand to continue that that metaphor. I still feel good about the Saint Louis Cardinals. There's still probably the favorite to win the division, and they're gonna sign somebody on the mound. They're gonna do something, so I I and again you're gonna get You're gonna have Mason win that's gonna be close to big league ready. You have other pieces that are gonna be potentially big league ready, and Jordan Walker hopefully takes a step forward and continues to get better and better, which he's looks better as of late. So I wouldn't do much. I would maybe make that small Tyler O'Neill for a decent arm move to try to bolster it a little bit this year and see what happens. But this team can be great next year, and I don't think we'd blink. I think this has been a really unfortunate year for a lot of reasons. A lot of things have gone wrong that we weren't sure about totally why we're not there. But there's been a new catcher that disrupts things. No, yeah, I do think that that's a big factor. Cantres is playing the worst baseball he's played in his life. I think he's going to be better, I really do. I think they've really fucked with his head. So I don't think that the Cardinals should really do much at all. Do that one small move, maybe move Taler O'Neal and call it a day and see what happens. You're lucky, You're as you said, Peter, this is the weakest division. It is a joke, and they could find a way out of it. If not, the division is not going to be that great next year either it'll be a little better. Some of these teams will be better, but the Brewers may be weaker. I'm still not fearing the Pirates yet, not fearing some of these other teams, not even the Cubs. So they'll be fine for next year. But don't do anything crazy. I think the Cardinals have already learned the hard way of being reactionary.
Speaker 1: Things would have to go horribly wrong, way more horrible than they've already been. And I'm just going to bring it back to a card symbol for a second again. The Cardinals are playing blackjack right now, and they keep getting served eighteen. Right, They keep getting a ten and a eight, and the dealer keeps pulling up a king and an ace. They just keep getting twenty one to death. Right. You don't blow it up when you're getting in eighteen every time, right, still a good hand. But they're just getting crushed. That's what I feel like the Cardinals are. They just keep getting in poker. You got pocket kings, the other guy's pocket aces. You're at the blackjack table, you got eighteen, dealers got twenty one. And it sucks. That is the worst place to be in because it's like no one go Paul gold Schmidt, Brendan Donovan, w Edmund Jordan Wall like so many good players.
Speaker 2: On this team added contrast to it. We were nervous about them being the runaway favorite to win the division. But nobody was saying this team would be bad. Nobody was saying this team would would be anything but good. We thought to be good, maybe not great because of the pitching, but good. So I'm with you. I mean, I don't think they would have to legitimately lose one hundred games for me feel like they don't have a shot next year with this core. That's the only one.
Speaker 1: How did bet MGM know put them at minus one ten to open the series? Now, how did they know?
Speaker 2: I always know, they always know. The only way I am out on the Cardinals for next year is if they lose one hundred games. That's really it. That's the only one. It's the only way that I can't fathom this team.
Speaker 1: So if they lose ninety nine, you're in no I talk to me, then talk to me.
Speaker 2: Then I'm just going to be real close. It'll be real close. I think ninety five plus will probably be what it is. Anything else. Before we wrap up I.
Speaker 1: Think that'll do it for this episode of the Just Baseball Show. We will be back on Friday, of course, hopefully with the three of us. Appreciate you guys all listening. Of course, this episode is brought to you by the King of sportsbooks, that is bet MGM. Use promo code Just Baseball when you download gambling problem called one eight hundred Gambler or text and then of course twenty one plus or older. In order to use bet MGM. Definitely go check out our sobour team absolutely free. You want to play fantasy baseball with us, come join us se if you can beat us. The link is in the episode description. But again, the best way to support this show get yourself some Just Baseball merch. I'm rocking my hat, arms rocking his polo. But of course you can win some Just Baseball merch by just getting into our so rare league. And if you don't want to spend a dime, you don't want to play fantasy baseball, you don't want to gamble. I don't really know you just like listening to podcasts. We'll love you if you could just rate review five stars, whether it be on Spotify or Apple podcasts. And if you're watching on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and comment I want to see Philly fan four eight nine say Luisa Rise's ass and Kysh Warber clears him. I want to see that in those YouTube comments. And also hit the like button. That's arm I'm Peter with that. Thank you,