Speaker 1: Let's talk about some of these spicy stories going on right now with David Drucker, senior writer at The Dispatch. Prior to that, of course, he was senior correspondent for The Washington Examiner, and David's also the author of the book In Trump's Shadow, The Battle for twenty twenty four in the Future of the GOP.
Speaker 2: David, welcome, How are you hey?
Speaker 3: Good to be here. Thank you.
Speaker 2: How are you liking working at the Dispatch so far?
Speaker 3: I really like it, no sarcasm. It's a great gig. I think we do a lot of really good work and they free me up to just pursue and report really good stories.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you're awesome on there, and one of the reasons I want to have you on today, in addition to the fact that you're probably the best at reporting on stuff like the Republican House Speaker fight. You seem pretty fired up as I was about the failure of the prestige US media on Tuesday, going ahead and announcing that Israeli Israel had bombed a hospital before they knew what was going on, which really pisses me off.
Speaker 3: Well, because this is pretty typical. I'm not even the biggest look, I'm in the media, so rather than criticize the media, I just try to do my job. But I will say, as an observer of American and Middle East politics for decades, I'm just old enough that now I've been able to observe this for decades. This is par for the course. This might be new to some people, but this always happens. People jump to conclusions what it has to do with Israel, conclusions. They don't jump to what it has to do with other countries and other nonstate actors. And you know, in this case, it's just in the middle of a very volatile situation that has the potential to have a real damaging impact in the region and domestically. But I wasn't surprised because this is again, it's just what.
Speaker 4: Happens well there. As a number of people have pointed out, one of the problems with that is the media, which usually leans left and supports democratic policies, hurt the president's owned policies as he had to cancel some meetings, hurt the prospect for peace which would help Palestinians. I mean, who, I don't even understand their motivation other than hating on israel I guess.
Speaker 3: I think, well, I think, look, I think you're some people might be over thinking this. You know, even though the media can and has demonstrated over the years to have a left leaning bias, they're not. There's not some place where they all go meet and decide with the with the party's messages for the day. And so I think this has to do with a worldview, not a political bias necessarily, but just a worldview about how they viewed the Israeli government. And the point I was trying to make, not that anybody cares, was that it's our job as journalists to be skeptical of everything and everyone. But but skepticism doesn't deserve to be dished out equally. In the case of Hamas, which is a terrorist organization that purposely targets civilians. Just stepping back from whatever you opinions of the Israeli Palestinian conflict and dispute, his are. This group is not a normal army that operates according to the law, the international laws of war. They never have and they've even shown a willingness to put their own people in danger just to get Israel to get blamed for one of the misfortunate that then befalls their own people or the death, and that's how they operate. So my response to this isn't you should believe the Israeli government. No, you shouldn't believe the Israeli government, but you should show Hamas more skepticism than you do the Israeli government and just say you don't know and wait until you know and have enough information.
Speaker 1: Well, my final thought on the topic is if you're going to be completely credulous and print somebody's claims about something, the fact that that somebody was Hamas and they printed those claims as just.
Speaker 2: Astounding to me.
Speaker 1: But moving along with David Drucker of The Dispatch, David, I've been referring to the contest to elect a House speaker as a clown show.
Speaker 2: Is that unnecessarily harsh in your opinion?
Speaker 3: No, I think you're being disrespectful to clowns. That's an honorable question because you actually make people laugh and do a service.
Speaker 4: Right, beautiful, somebody will get a balloon animal at the end. I mean, there's benefits to it. So where are we currently.
Speaker 3: Nowhere? Republicans can't agree amongst themselves on anybody when it comes to delivering two hundred and eighteen votes for the gabble, and so there's a lot of discussion now about elevating or I should say empowering Speaker pro Tem path Patrick McHenry, a North Carolina Republican with a lot of the authority that goes along with being the actual Speaker of the House. Isn't allow the Chamber to get back to work move legislation. We're about a month away from the government running out of money again, or the President this evening is going to pitch a big aid package or Israel, Ukraine and we think Taiwan and possibly some domestic border security money, although it's unclear, but we know that Israel, ad for Israel, and Ukraine are going to be packaged together. At least that's what the President is going to propose, and that's what I think the Senate is going to move on. And so in order to pass this legislation is going to need to be operable, and so Republicans are going to have to figure out what they want to do. I don't know that we're near this McHenry solution, but it's what's being discussed because nobody wants to look I do. I'm talking long here, but The reason Republicans are in this mess is because there are not enough of them. They want to follow their own rules. Their rules say that in an internal conference election, whoever gets the most votes above a certain number is the speaker designate when they're in the and they're all supposed to vote for that person on the floor. It's not that it's binding constitutionally, that that's the rules they have for themselves. They wouldn't honor it with Kevin McCarthy, they wouldn't honor it with Steve's falife, and so now members that always go along because they want to govern and be pragmatic finally said I've had enough. If you don't have to follow the.
Speaker 1: Rules and needed a lot, well you're a fine psychic, is I was just going to say. The crazy part to me is that you know they can't arrive at a result is too bad, But they can't even arrive at a process. Apparently all of the rules and customers are out the window. So let's move on to what's it look like behind the scenes. I understand there's some serious arm twisting to vote for Jordan, backlash, et cetera.
Speaker 3: Look, Jordan has been trying to bring his opponents along, but I don't think he can. There's a lot of ill will in the conference right now. We talked about it as being a dysfunctional conference, but it's now also factionalized. There's a lot of ill will. There are a lot of hurt feelings. There's a lot of frustration, and whether or not Jordan is responsible for this or look the other way, or even whether or not he told his allies off of Capitol Hill please stop and they just didn't listen. One of the problems that the Republicans who oppose him have is that they feel like Jordan and his allies were bringing outside pressure to bear and threatening them, threatening them with primary challengers, that they're that these these pro Jordan activists were even sending in death threats and wow, and and it gets to the fact that that's what some members have alleged and and they've really statements for that effect.
Speaker 4: Well, if I got a death threat, and I thought if I got a death threat, and I thought it came from Jordan's people, especially with his knowledge, yeah I wouldn't be real likely.
Speaker 2: To vote for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well. I think the other thing though, too, is so when conservative activists and somehow Republicans who support Jordan make the case that this is what the voters want. What a lot of House Republicans pier is, Oh, so I'm supposed to do whatever Jordan wants because your voters, my voters like him better than me, and he's going to use that against me. And and members of Congress want to be the stars in their own district. They understand that when there's a president that their voters like, they're under pressure to work with that president or even just support that president without you know, too much, you know, without without too much trouble. But when another when a congressional leader says, do what I say, or your voters are going to be angry. It's as opposed to I'm going to help you succeed in your district. It's just it's not the way you win a congressional leadership race, which was is different than running for office where voters of the constituency versus members of Congress.
Speaker 1: So how certain are you that the Patrick McHenry move is the next step?
Speaker 2: Is there just no other road to take at this point?
Speaker 3: It appears that there's no other road to take at this point, but I'm not sure if it's necessarily the next step versus no step, And it sort of depends on how many House Republicans are willing to go along and do this, because you're going to have a you know, some significant member of the conference, even though it maybe a minority, that's going to oppose doing this, And so the thinking would be that Democrats would join in with this, and you know, mckenry sort of has to be willing, Like I guess he could say forget it, I'm not going to serve. But I think we just kind of need to see whether Jordan calls another vote today. My sources tell me that he's likely likely to lose more votes, that there are more members than we saw in the first two votes that are opposing him, but they want to stagger their vote so that it's clear if that it's like it's going backwards wow, versus even staying the same. But you know, this has been such a volatile, uncertain process. I'm hesitant to make predictions versus just kind of tell you what I'm hearing.
Speaker 1: So clown show an appropriate poop show, I suppose more appropriate. I'll be going with that in the future. Final question, David, we're chatting about this earlier. Have you heard whether the president's address eight o'clock eastern tonight is going to be live or not.
Speaker 2: He's an old man, you see.
Speaker 3: No, it's going to be live. Yeah, No, you don't do it. Office of Dress. It's not live. Yeah. And it's eight eastern five o'clock Pacific, which means, you know, people are you know, theoretically off work or on their way home. It's not home yet. That's why you wait until late o'clock.
Speaker 2: Well that's pretty late in the day after.
Speaker 4: That's pretty late in the day after a long trip and a lot of time zones and all that sort of stuff. For him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well look, I mean, you know, I understand how people feel about his age, but he'd been able to do this before and and so, you know, be interesting to see what's in the speech. The speech just about Israel and Ukraine. He had been planning an address about Ukraine before Hamas attack Israel in October seventh. So now we've got the sort of combined address. I wonder if it's his first Oval address. I have to check. But obviously, you know, presidents use the Old Office for these addresses very sparingly, not to dilute the significance of it and the power of it, and we'll see you know what he says and how Americans react with.
Speaker 1: David Drucker, Senior writer at The Dispatch. His latest book is In Trump's Shadow, The Battle for twenty twenty four in the Future of the GOP. Good to talk to you, David, Thanks a bunch anytime.
Speaker 3: Guys, Thank you, Armstrong and Getty.