Speaker 1: Smith fires over the middle, great grand By Metcalf out in front, and he will go all the way for a touchdown seventy three yards to the left. Look short Lamb shoulder shake throws. That's gonna be caught by Fergusson. Touchdown. Locket comes to the slot. Here comes Partiinge and he forces the patch incomplete and that will wrap it up.
Speaker 2: That will wrap up a forty one to thirty five Cowboys victory on Thursday Night football. Maybe you couldn't tell it from Al's voice there, but we got the best Thursday night game of the year, and we got there. Ever, maybe ever, who knows I'd have to go through it. We got the perfect guest for it too. It's Steven Ruiz of the who's been doing yeoman's work all around the podcast land. It's Stephen Ruiz Week. And what better game to have him on for than the Geno and dak Our Gods among Us showcase. Thank you, Steven.
Speaker 3: I texted you right after that Geno touchdown to open the game. He knew I was coming on today. He's gonna give us a show.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the last time you came on was the you know he don't write back game for Gino. So it's been too long and this was a great Geno game, but it does feel a little beside the point. To start with Gino, the Cowboys put up forty one points in a shootout in a game that there were no punts. According to Scott Hansen's researcher at red zone and whom I had to doubt his researcher at red zone, it's only the fourth game in the history of the NFL to have no points five if you include the Colts Chiefs Peyton Manning versus Dick for Meal and Trent Green show down in two thousand and four. That was like my first season covering the league that was exciting. This was just a preposterously great offensive performance by both quarterbacks, both teams. But to me, we start with just like the majesty, I would guess of Dak Prescott right now that he just has an answer for everything opposing defense, especially the Sea Hawks defense, was trying to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought Seattle played well defensively. There was a lot of talk.
Speaker 2: About they didn't get a stop.
Speaker 3: I mean, considering that they were putting him under pressure and now he was making tight window throws. I really think there's an alternate universe where you put two other quarterbacks into this game and they have to handle that pressure that both quarterbacks had to deal with all day, and it looks horrible, and we don't get anywhere close to thirty five to thirty one or whatever the final score ended up being. That was I thought the two quarterbacks were the story of the game. And do you watch do you watch on the Prime vision that they did?
Speaker 2: I do enjoy that. Again, I thought schwartztein action in my life right right.
Speaker 3: I love that. It was just a magical performance. From that view too, It really allowed you to appreciate what these guys were doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, early on, you know, I'm thinking, man, these Cowboys receivers are open. As the game we're on, I'm with you, the pressure built up, the windows got a little tighter. But Dack specifically, and I misspoke by saying they didn't get a single stop the Seahawks defense. There was one stop all night by the Seahawks defense, and that was in I'm counting it now nine drives, not counting the Neil down drives. And that was just when Ceedee Lamb dropped the ball a wide open just you know, short pass on fourth down, otherwise there literally would not have been a drive that the Cowboys did not score on. And the thing that impresses me is he just he just has answers for everything. Like I think of actually a fourth and one situation where he checked out of the play two different times where they were clearly gotta to stop the sneak up the middle. Then I don't know what he saw the second time, but he checked it again, and he checked it, you know, to the perfect play a run to the outside, and they get it. So even on plays where he's not throwing the ball, he's just kind of seeing everything you're doing, and he's making all the right decisions and he's not missing any throws. I mean, he was just on the money with it with just about every throw tonight.
Speaker 3: And then I think he's adding on top of that, like the old school Dack creation stuff. Out of structure. He is the best quarterback in the league statistically out of structure, Not Josh Allen, not Patrick Maholmes, not Lebar Jackson, none of these guys. Dak Prescott, what.
Speaker 2: Do you mean like out of the pocket or plus two and a half seconds, how do they measure that out.
Speaker 3: Of the pocket and PFF. According to PFF, when the defense the pass russ forces the quarterback to move off of his spot, so it's not a straight dropback. He is the best in the NFL by PFF grade. He's got like a low nineties grade. The next highest guys like in the seventies.
Speaker 2: It is ridiculous. And I do think his season changed on that Sunday night game against the Chargers where he ran for that touchdown, and I think he ran the play before on a play that actually he normally wouldn't of this year, he scrambled, he came up just short on like a third and nine or something to set up a fourth and one, and he put his head down and I was like, ooh, there's Dak running again. That's what we always want. And I swear since then the rushing yards aren't crazy like tonight. It's twenty three. But there's four plays where he helps himself with his legs running, which is just a really important four plays. And then, as you say, also just making great decisions outside the pocket, which he did, you know, on a number of throws tonight. It was just like there, unless you have just an elite pass rush and the Seahawks just don't. It's hard to think of how you're gonna get this guy down, and it's tough against this Cowboys offensive line, which is playing really well.
Speaker 3: That's why I would say, like, I thought the defense didn't play too badly, and I didn't think the defensive game plan was too bad because I thought the way they got to Dak Prescott was blitzing. There was a lot of like corner pressures, a lot of like zone pressures, and I thought Seattle's approached the game. They're thinking going into the game was we're not going to get to Dak unless we play like a reckless style and that's our only chance of being in this game. It didn't work out, but I think it makes sense as a strategy going into it. And I think if they would have just rushed four and dropped back seven, Dak would have picked them apart.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're both geno fans, and because of that, I've become a quasi Seahawks fan. Maybe you haven't gone that far, and so the defense was frustrating me. Yes, they're setting a lot of blitzes, but they can never finish them. They're just bouncing off of them. There's that play Darryl Taylor, who's that like a safety, I mean, he's a defensive end, has him in a bear hug and I don't know what happened the play, Dak just like shrugs him off and that would have been like there were so many plays like that. Adams had another one whereas like if they could just bring him to the ground or bring some of the receivers that that caught the ball behind the line of scrimmae occasionally to the ground, It's like they would have them in big time, negative yardage situations and they just couldn't do it. And so again, once that Chargers game happened, I was like, Wow, he played just about perfect game that game, and then the next week he's like perfect that week and people weren't really picking up on it yet because they were playing lesser teams and the record wasn't as good then. But he's he's almost been throwing like a perfect game every week since Week six. It's great. He at this point is I think gotta come out of this week. You know, one of, if not the MVP front runners are just crazy because he was like plus three thousand three weeks ago.
Speaker 3: And it's high degree of difficulty. It's not like he's like Dinking and Duncan out there. He's throwing like these covered seam balls, these tight window passes. He's throwing on the run. He's throwing out of structure. He's throwing with guys hanging off of him, like we saw tonight. He's up to his game another level, and I think he's finally starting to get credit for stuff he already did well, Like he's finally starting to get credit for like the pre snap stuff and being that brain before the snap, like you heard Kirk Herbstreet and I kind of compare him to Peyton Manning in the presnat phase, and I think that's app and I think it's something he never got credit for. And one of the reasons I think he's so polarizing as a player, even though he's been this like steadfast winner and guy who produces at a high level since he's entered the league beyond being a Dallas Cowboys quarterback and everything that comes with that, is that it's kind of hard to appreciate the things he's really good at because they're so subtle, especially if you're not watching week to week and you're not watching like the film and you're you don't really like understand what's going on pre snap. I just think like, if we gave him that credit, I don't think we would be having these debates about Dak Prescott every offseason.
Speaker 2: I've been trying to I've been trying to give him that credit. I brought up the Manning you know that he I don't think he's Manning or Brady, but as that generation was still playing but aging now, I was like, well, he's the he's the guy that's of the young generation that's like the most like that, Like he's the he's the quarterbacks, quarterback, He's he's how you know, Greg Cosell wants the game to be played inside the pocket and figuring it out out mentally and it's all coming together and he's he's at an age where it's all perfect. He's got an unreal number one receiver, and I think this game is going to be important for him, just in the way, not important for him in terms of what you're saying. He's playing great, nothing needs to change, but MVP race and then their playoff race, and even as a team, they were really tested in this game by a good opponent. I know Seattle was struggling coming into this game, but their oftense certainly wasn't struggling tonight. Like I don't know if a team's gonna beat up this Cowboys defense any better than the Seahawks did tonight, and so Dak was really pushed in this game. The score was twenty eight to twenty coming out of halftime. Once Gino got the kickoff and to start the second half, went right down the field to go twenty eight to twenty. Cowboys get it closer, and then the Seahawks score again to DK start the fourth quarter, and so it's thirty five to twenty seven. He has to make a fourth quarter comeback. They have the field goal drive, they have another touchdown drive there by Dak, and then they tack on the field goal late. So it's just kind of like those situations that I know, like they shouldn't need to pass these tests, but they do need to because they need to win some close games. It's not just gonna be blowouts in the playoffs. And they found a way to do that, even though I have some issues with Mike McCarthy's game management, and we can get to that in a minute. It sort of doesn't matter when you only face I think they only had four third downs in the second half. I mean, that's the thing. These two teams put up the score with very few possessions. You know. It wasn't like a thirteen to twelve possession game where they put up these numbers, like they had almost no margin for error. And he hit it and he could have actually had more. There was that CD drop on fourth down, and then one of the best throws he had the night, which was was the field goal drive in the fourth quarter that came up short, which looked like a crazy pass. He put it between three people, but it got to CD and he actually didn't bring it down in that scenario.
Speaker 3: That's why I was like watching the end of the game and I was like, no matter how this ends, it's gonna be very disappointing for one of these teams. It's gonna be very disappointing for us for having to like come up with losers in this game. Because I just thought it was played at such a high level that even if Dallas had lost, I don't think I would have come on here and been like, oh, they're frauds or everything. We thought they were. Like Gito just played so well in under pressure too. It's not like Dallas made it easy on him. At one point in the fourth quarter, he was like eleven for twelve under pressure and averaging ten yards per ten. Yeah, let's say nobody does that.
Speaker 2: Let's get to the Jada portion. We've put it all off long enough. But I'm with you, like there are no big losers here. I'm gonna I'm gonna be a little annoyed about the Seahawks defense later, just in terms of roster construction and everything and some of the game management stuff, and Jason Myers missed another important kick in this game, but just in terms of the way this season shapes up. Before we moved to Juno, it's like it was absolutely vital. Though they got this win to stay in the NFC East race, I still think they can win this division because I just think, you know, the Eagles are underdogs this week, and then the Cowboys are probably playing for for our playing for first place next week, and so that's like it doesn't get much bigger than that they had. They actually do have it right there in front of them. I know their schedule is brutal, so it'd be hard to finish that out. But there's a very real chance that they're in first place in the NFC East and they're gonna have extra rest going into that Eagles game in ten days. Whereas the Seahawks felt like this was their chance to sneak one in here during this brutal stretch, and they couldn't get it done. And it's so surprising to me, Steven that they put up thirty five points in the first fifty minutes of this game. Their offensive line and everything going into this game and their offensive cohesion did not indicate that this performance was coming.
Speaker 3: No, I did not expect this performance, and I didn't expected because of that matchup the offensive line versus the defensive line and Dallas's defensive line. Despite not getting a lot of sacks, they did get pressure and I thought they won for the most part.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I thought Shane Waldron, the offensive coordinator, called a great game. I didn't like the calls at the end. I thought he kind of That's one thing. I that's my one thing against Waldron is that he gets a little galaxy brained a time. He kind of outthinks himself a little bit. I don't know what that last play was, but it kind of looked like a screen pass, like a late slip screen pass, which is an interesting call. And fourth and what was it fourth and five with.
Speaker 2: The game on the line, fourth and two, Yeah, fourth and two and it gets blown up and it never really had a chance and though yeah, Parsons got there and the next and stats measured in one point three seconds. I mean it was Parsons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they tried to like totally blocked.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure where the protection went wrong, whether that was supposed to be the running backs, it went wrong somewhere they needed to reset. I don't know like who that's on that. That's happened more than you would want to for the Seahawks this year. And yeah, to get into that position. And there were a couple drives in the fourth quarter where they turn it over on downs and they were in short yarded situations. After having such a good night on third down. Finally, they've been a terrible third down team all year. They kind of went back in the crucible to just a couple bad plays there on third and one, fourth and one. I'm also thinking about the drive before the same thing happened.
Speaker 3: It was it was good to see Geno adjust because there has been talk about him getting the ball out quicker, and I think that is one thing you saw. You saw him make that adjustment, and I think it would have been a big red flag if you heard that talk from Gino, you heard that talk from the offensive coordinator, and then he couldn't do it. So I think that, like I think this was a I don't think it obviously it derails whatever playoff hope Seattle had or kind of. But he still got it.
Speaker 2: They still got it, but they but it didn't help hurt they had an opportunity tonight.
Speaker 3: But I think this is a good sign for the for the team going forward. Like I think like that Geno still has these moments when he can he can light up a game and he can match a MVP candidate throw for throw right.
Speaker 2: And you know, statistically he's been getting rid of the ball about the same time this year. The pressure has just been getting there faster. He's been avoiding sacks much better. Actually, he's that used to be, you know, one of the worst parts of his game last year, even in his breakout, was still like blow average but not terrible. This year, it's pretty good and you saw that tonight, Like if you had looked at the box score, you would have no idea. And I know Parsons got three QB hits, but you would have no idea that Parsons kind of dominated this game. And Lawrence had a good game too, because Gino was getting rid of the ball, I mean, some of those dimes early to DK. It was also great to see DK have a game like this because I think that the Thanksgiving game kind of encapsulated what's been a really disappointing season for DK, not winning contested catches, just being kind of a little lazy with his routes on the sideline stuff like that. And tonight he was like he was DK what you imagine him to be. That first dime that Gino threw to him just felt like it like kind of free the two of them, and he threw so many good passes to it was it was a beautiful thing. I mean, being Geno guys. To have him have this night in an Island game, it did feel like a release for me, a weight off my shoulders, you know.
Speaker 3: And I like how you got to see him thrive under pressure, like you got to see that this is what he's been dealing with all year. He's been dealing with this type of protection and receivers that I don't think have been running great routes. And it's kind of hard to say when you're outside of the building, but there's been a lot of miscommunications. I think that's the best way you could put it. And you didn't really see that tonight, Like you saw Geno get rid of the ball, and the receivers ended up where they were supposed to be and the ball ended up where it was supposed to be. I think if this team could find any consistency, they might look like the team we see when they're at their highest, like when they have these breakout performances, because they are capable of it. We've seen it like a handful of times over the last two years, just stringing them together right.
Speaker 2: And defensively, they have so many players you would think that they can have some better games than the ones that they've had. And I'll get into it a minute, but they've just been a sub mediocre defense, like a very below average defense, and you saw it tonight. But I they can if they can get their offense going like this. They did have Abe Lucas back in the run game, which you know, maybe that helps Zach Charboney though is nineteen for sixty. He did have a thirty nine yeard catch too, but he left late with a knee injury and was immediately ruled doubtful, which that is not a great sign. Maybe Kenneth Walker's back next week. But Smith and Jigbab made some plays until he had the miscommunication on the turnover on downs on the on the drive before the last one, and and lock it. I think one of the plays Seahawks fans are gonna remember is the Seahawks are up thirty five to thirty, they're driving, I mean right, they had the ball up thirty five to thirty to possibly kick a field goal, the go up eight halfway through the fourth quarter or even you know, score a tight and kind of put the game away, and Gino, as one of his best anticipation, throws the night it gets there, you know, after Lockett you know, makes his turn and it hits him right in the helmet and Gino gets sacked the next play. It was maybe it was a pressure and a throwaway the next play, but that drive ended right there and they would have been in field goal range on one of the better geno passes of the night, the Robin our boy Steven.
Speaker 3: They really are and I feel like we're talking about how well these quarterbacks played. I don't think the receivers played all that well outside of DK.
Speaker 2: Now we're sounding like we're just like it's a pro g know thing. I mean, there a lot of drops.
Speaker 3: There were a lot of balls.
Speaker 2: There were there were some drops.
Speaker 3: Nice catch both sides, I mean on both sides.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on both sides. Certainly there were there were some drops. I mean Smith and Jigba. I like that he's getting more consistent. He had the touchdown that was overturned on review, but at least he drew a long PI on that call. There were a lot of PI calls and we'll hit that, but first we're going to take a break. Okay, we're back in. You know I mentioned before the break. I mean, the penalties were a huge story of this game. There were two hundred and fifty seven penalty yards Steven in this game. That is the most and for a game in regulation since Bear's Bills twenty eighteen, which I don't it was in November. I don't have an immediate recollection, but I do likely likely I met Trubisky. Josh Allen showed ow Nathan Peterman, Oh was it? Wait? Really?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think it was a Nathan Peterman special.
Speaker 2: Al Michael's commenting tonight on the penalties. Let's listen, we're going to take the rush.
Speaker 1: Of the night of La Cliqe Blakeman pulling the game. You buy him? Sure?
Speaker 2: I was getting so mad. I don't know if he was having occasionally has like senior moments, but like he literally said, like, oh and guess what's next? When when the flag came out, like on four straight plays at one point in the third quarter, he was just like beside himself.
Speaker 3: I mean, Al, this was a great performance, a throwback performance for Al in my opinion, he was and Gino and Dak he was right there with him.
Speaker 2: I'll buy that. I would like a little more excitement there at the end. I would like it's more of a Herb Street thing. But there were a lot of game management situations at the end of the game that were very interesting, and they didn't really like go over ahead of time or even afterwards. You know, the Cowboys had the ball, we might as well, you know, talk about it now. They had the ball, after they turned the Seahawks over on downs, and they get it with two let's see how long was left in the game. They get it with one forty three to go, and they basically or no, sorry, they get it with three eleven to go. That makes more sense at the Seahawks forty nine yard line and two first downs basically wins the game there. And they immediately get into the red zone on that drive, and they get into situation where it's third and three, the Seahawks are all out of timeouts and there's one forty maybe a little more left on the clock, and they throw a pass from I think it was the fourteen into the end zone. I know it's one on one Ceedee Lamb and he's been so great tonight, but it wasn't really close. He was well covered, the ball was you know, it was kind of threw it a safe pass to make sure it didn't get interception, and it's incomplete and I was I love being aggressive, but that's actually not being aggressive. That's just that was just bad game management. If they run the ball there, it goes under a minute, and you run the ball there because it's fourth and three, and you kind of plan on you run the ball twice and you win the game and it's over with. And if if you don't get it the second time, it's under a minute left and they're inside like the ten yard line or the thirteen airdline. I thought that was crazy by McCarthy.
Speaker 3: Now that that's always the thing with McCarthy, right, Like every time, I'm starting to think McCarthy's turning it around, like getting back to play, like this is an accomplishment. I have to give him credit. I'm not gonna take credit away, yes for doing yes, but these are the moments where you're like, uh, like that's gonna come up in the playoffs and I don't think he's gonna make the right decision. Like there was even like a two point conversion chance earlier in the game, and I don't know what the analytics say about it, but a lot of people are wondering why they didn't go for it to tie you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was twenty twenty six. It was like, why were you not going for two at that moment? And then I for me for it later and they got it later.
Speaker 3: It's not just McCarthy, Like I got questions about Dan Quinn hmmm, okay, and it's the same questions that anyone would have about Dan Quinn in that like style of defense that we've seen, like we see it in Seattle, like that cover three, line up and play. We're not going to like do anything to trick you. I just think it's a defense that could be schemed up, and it's a defense that can be exploited by the best quarterbacks in the NFL. And in order to win a Super Bowl, you have to beat the best quarterbacks in the NFL. And that's my worry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a fair point that, like the Cowboys defense has been great this year. I mean, it hasn't been like Ravens Browns level, and it's got great talent, but this is the first game in a long time, and granted they haven't played many great offenses. You know, they did a pretty good job. I thought against the Eagles. Overall, they give more points than they should have, but it was they played well. It was disarming to see like a team go up and down the field throwing the ball in them. I mean, Deron Bland Michael said, give up more yards in that first half than any cornerback in any half of football all year. So his defensive Player of the Year candidacy was always silly to me. I mean, give him an All Pro, that's fine, But people were trying to talk that up this week, like that's over with now, even though he had an electric interception that was not even a bad throw by Gino. I didn't think, if anything, Bland just kind of bodied Locket out of position on a play. Lock It like had position when the ball was thrown, and Bland made a great play. But Bland got cooked in this game. And you're right, maybe the secondary, like do you think there are holes here, like in the back seven essentially for Dallas.
Speaker 3: I do think it can be attacked, and I think if you can mitigate the pass rush, which I don't think Seattle did in any shape or form tonight. But I think there are teams that are capable of doing that, like San Francisco as we've seen, then I think it's gonna be an issue. And I don't think like dan Quinn's style of defense offers you like schematic help. It's really reliant on execution and talent, and I think fundamentals, which is like a great way to play and it makes sense with their talent. It's just when you run into offenses that can match your talent, it becomes a problem.
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, because you know who, like Bland is playing outstanding, Gilmour is still a really solid starting corner, but Diggie Zua and the guys insider are good. Parsons is just outrageous. I think I might as great as Garrett's been. I'm still I'm still holding out my vote there that it's like we got a long way to go, and like in my heart, i still feel like Parsons is actually better and having a better season even though it's not quite there. So I'm I'm allowing the possibility that he might just close really strong. And then Lawrence had a huge fourth down stop on Charbonny. It's just those little moments of the game where like their best players stepped up like Jake Bobo on a on a screen to play before it looked like he had more yards to pick up. I mean, these are what you think about when you're a Seahawks fan. I'm a quasi Seahawks fan. Now what happened to me?
Speaker 3: You don't get to claim that, aren't you a Patriots fan? You don't get to claim.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've I jump on different teams depending on the year, and this, uh, this Patriots team was.
Speaker 3: Des attle bit.
Speaker 2: I mean, are my great friend Chris Westley and I mean they already made fun of me. I remember saying, even as the Patriots run was over, I was like, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna be as into it once Brady's gone, just like because I know it'll never be the same. Like what's the point of chasing that. I mean, you're a Panthers fancy. You've had a tough week. That's why.
Speaker 3: That's how it was with Cam. That's how once Cam left, I'd like, I'm a Panthers fans. A strong word is how I'll put it.
Speaker 2: You've been busy. They got you, just like doing the whole podcast circuit. You did Mina show. We should have coordinated me and Mina. So it's like it's maybe too much ruiz u for the people.
Speaker 3: No, it's not enough. Do people need more? Yeah, they're like truck me out playing like Sarah McLaughlin music with the sad puppies, Like that's who I am.
Speaker 2: Uh, it is tough. What is what is your opinion of the Here we go? Sure, yeah, here we go? Like do you hear it while you're walking around. Is it just like part of your life like it is mine at this point?
Speaker 3: It is I and I didn't really notice it until people started pointing it out. I always felt like Cam Newton had a weird one too, so I'm like kind of partial to them, and I don't hate.
Speaker 2: It like everyone what were Cams? He was always high in my Cadence rankings. He had a nice deep voice. But I can't think of him right off.
Speaker 3: I think it was similar. I think it might have been here we go.
Speaker 2: Mmmm, yeah, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: There's like it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It was like ready. It was something like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ready, but nice and deep and and DA's just got that base. Yeah. It really started for me in the Rams game. I don't know why I didn't notice it before then. I still want to get on Pete Carroll before we go, just because of the way they've built this team, Like as I see Jamal Adams getting pressures but not really finishing the play on those blitzes, and when I see him like in position but not doing anything about the ball when the ball's in the air and they're throwing it to Jake Ferguson to win the game, and there were there were other plays like that, and I think about what they gave up for Adams, and I know he's gotten hurt and Wagner it has been good, but you know he'll get frozen a little bit and coverage like on that first tight end and that first touchdown, he's not even moving and then you know Darryl Taylor's bouncing off him. And I just think of all the picks, and they traded that pick for Leonard Williams's second round pick, and I just think they came into this game twenty third in DVA. I know it's the Cowboys, but the Cowboys looked as good or better against this defense then they've looked against anyone. So that net number is going to go down to like twenty six. It's a defensive coach. They've been above average one time steven since twenty seventeen in terms of DVOA, and they were thirteenth that year in the COVID year. So even that year, it's not like they were great. It's like, I don't know, I don't really believe in building around defense anyways, but they've put too much into it to me for this whole thing to make any sense because the offense, like it's you've got like a good quarterback, but you don't have you don't have a top five quarterback, need your defense in running game to help out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tough. I think Pete Carroll's a good head coach, but I agree with it's kind of like the Belichick thing where you got to separate the coach from the team builder.
Speaker 2: I think he's a good coach too, And it's not like a total thing. It's just their defense is disappointing, Like it's very often less than the summer of their parts. And he's a defensive coach. It's never certain more than the some of their parts. You would think just by randomness they would luck into like a number six defense season one of these years, but they don't. I'm really surprised they're below average. I'm surprised.
Speaker 3: No, Like, And that was kind of the point I was gonna make. I think, like the thing that we kind of overrate with Carol maybe is his defensive mastery or whatever you want to call it. Like, I think that's the overrated part. I think the way like he motivates a locker room and keeps a team together, I think that's the secret stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But like his best defense is I mean, give me five Hall of Famers and I give you like a top fifteen defense at least, Like he had Earl Thomas and he had Richard Sherman and that like that wasn't even how his reputation was built. His reputation was built on like the nineties forty nine ers who had like ten Hall of Favors on their roster.
Speaker 2: Well, he did it at USC two, and it was like it was the right defense for that time.
Speaker 3: They had talent on that team too, though.
Speaker 2: Right, right, And it's the it's the Belichick Brady argument. It's it's the Walsh like Montana. It's always symbiotic, like that's football. That was the right He was the right coach for those groups of players and he and he was right to target the certain body types and any hit he hit the lottery and he made it like maxed it out, you know, except for finishing out that Super Bowl against Patriots, but you know he maxed it up. But that was a five year run in the in the defense. You know, it's it's no longer happened.
Speaker 3: By the way, did you notice the moment then they had fourth and one at the end of the half. No threw it. They threw it, Seattle threw it again, and they threw the slant. It was like the same route combination too. They threw the slant genolant. Russ couldn't complete it. Difference in the Super.
Speaker 2: Bowl, right and uh man, now I forget because I was running around at one point and then caught back up. The Seahawks also ran like the same concept as the Patriots go ahead touchdown in the Super Bowl. Like pretty I mean that the Cowboys ran the same concept right against the seahawkss. But basically the Patriots had run to go ahead. So it was like a it was a fun little vintage night. We got dan Quinn, we got it all. This was beautiful. We didn't have a punt, we got all these penalties. This was it. This was the game to have. Stephen ruiz On, I appreciate it. Steven. Where can we check out your work? I know where it's the Ringer? What day? What days are your podcasts on? Give give me the give me the.
Speaker 3: Lowdown Wednesdays and Monday mornings.
Speaker 2: Okay, In the Ring of NFL feed, you've got the quarterback rankings yeah, Wednesday, we should have like a quarterback rankings off between you and our new QB Index writer Nick Shook.
Speaker 3: I read his every week. I keep an eye on the competition.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's great and he helps us out on our Sunday nights because look, you you've been doing this while he's been doing it a while, not too but just started the QB thing. But he's bigger than you. Like he's just like an intimidating looking guy. Like he's huge.
Speaker 3: So all right, then his quarterback rankings are the best.
Speaker 1: Just know that.
Speaker 2: No, I just want I just wanted to know. You've probably never seen him. Just like check out, check out Shook. We call him the Pipe, just check out like his little av I. But yeah, people should check out Steven. I've been following his work now for a while. Stephen is young and yet now he's a veteran. He's been in the game a while and people should, uh should read everything he writes and check him out on the podcast. That will do it for tonight. It was a on one.
Speaker 3: It was a great one. It was it was great talking to talking to you about it.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's Stephen Ruie's week is over. But the podcast never ends. We will be back on Sunday with the flagship show. Until then, Heed the call, h
Speaker 3: M.