Speaker 1: It's the Son of a Butcher podcast. We come to every Wednesday. It is not Wednesday, but it is Ryder Cup week, and I wanted to make sure that we got through all of the practice rounds of the Ryder Cup here in Rome and got the pairings for the first rounds, which we got a lot to talk about because this is one of the premiere weeks of the golf calendar every two years. It's special week.
Speaker 2: I'm here in Rome and lots to get to.
Speaker 1: But before we get to that, let's talk about our partners at AG one. You know about them if you've listened to the pod. If you've tried them, you probably love them. If you haven't, the obvious question is, what the hell are you waiting for. AG one is a daily foundational nutritional supplement that delivers comprehensive nutrients to support whole body health. I've been drinking it literally every day, whether I'm on the road in the travel packs or i am at home.
Speaker 2: I initially gave one a.
Speaker 1: Try because I'd heard a lot of players and physios talking about it here on tour. I'm getting older, so it's important for me to feel my best and make sure my nutritional bases are covered every day. Listen, I'm on the road a lot. When I'm on the road, it's hard for me to eat as well as i'd like. I don't eat a lot of vegetables. That's just full disclosure, It's just not my thing. So AG one is an opportunity for me, not only on the road, but for me to get a lot of the stuff that I'm not getting in my day to day diet. And I think a lot of people are in the same boat as me. And if you're looking for a way to kind of knock everything out in one go, ag one is the way to do it. I've noticed a huge I mean, I'm sleeping better, i feel better, I've got more energy, and my digestion everything across the board since I started taking AG one has really really changed. If a comprehensive solution is what you need from your supplement routine, then try AG one and get a free one year supply of Vitamin D and five free AG one travel packs to go with your first purchase. I carry them on the road with me and it has really been a game changer in being able to look after my body while I am on the road. You can go to drinkag one dot com backslastch three. That's drink ag one dot com back ch three.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 1: And now let's get to the Ryder Cup. It's going to be a very very interesting week. I'm excited. I've been going to Ryder Cups. Really. The first Ryder Cup I ever went to was the last time the US one on foreign soil. That was at the Belfry in nineteen ninety three, and I've been to the majority of the Ryder Cup since then. They are they're very special weeks. They're different. It's team competition. You're playing for your country and so as a golfer, you're rare doing that. You're playing for yourself, and I think that's what makes these weeks so unique. I'm over here with brooks Kepcho. We flew in Sunday night from the live event in Chicago. I hadn't seen the golf course before. It's a big golf course. I think the majority of the shots, second shots you were going to see, are going to be from over one hundred and fifty yards. It's a long golf course. It's a very very hilly up and down golf course. Ricky Ellittt and Brooks came over here a couple of weeks ago on the US team scouting mission and they mentioned that they thought the walk was one of the more difficult walks that they have in professional golf, and after being here since Monday, I can agree. It's uphill, then it's downhill, then it's uphill, then it's downhill. I think stamina is going to be a big, big part of this week. It is very hot here in Rome. It's in the nineties pretty much every day.
Speaker 2: They haven't had a lot of rain.
Speaker 1: It's hot in the mornings, it's hot in the afternoons. So I think, are we going to see players play all five rounds? I'm not sure we're going to see it. I think we're going to see some guys play four for sure, But I just don't know if from a fatigue factor, if you're going to be able to go all five, everybody is going to want to go all five. I mean, you come here wanting to play, you come here wanting to play. Basically every match, everybody feels.
Speaker 2: The same way.
Speaker 1: But I do think the way the golf course is designed and the conditions right now, it might be hard to play all five matches. From a US team perspective, They've got a hell of a side, right. They've got three of the major champions this year Brooks Koepka, Wyndham Clark and Brian Harmon.
Speaker 2: The Euros have one of the.
Speaker 1: Major champions in John Raman won the Masters. They have Rory McElroy arguably one of, if not the best player in the game. They have Victor Hovlin FedEx Cup champion. They've got major champions in Matt Fitzpatrick. They've got some rookies. They've got some very very row rookies, not just rookies to the Ryder Cup. Luda Alberg He's never even played a major. He was playing college golf earlier this year, so he's come out of the PGA Tour. You one of the Hoguard twins, they're both here this week. But how are they How's he going to perform?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: What is being on a Ryder Cup team going to mean to you as a rookie? The US has rookies, Max Homer, Brian Harmony, They've They've they've got their fair share of rookies as well. But the captain, Zack Johnson, Luke Donald captain selections I mean, how are those going to turn out. The obvious one that is under a lot of scrutiny is going to be Justin Thomas. If Justin Thomas plays well, Zach Johnson's going to be vindicated for picking him. If Justin Thomas does not play well and the US were to get beat, z X and Justin Thomas are going to get scrutiny. There are going to be a lot of questions asked every year the Ryder Cup rolls around every two year cycle. The captains have choices to make right and I think there were some really balls he choices on both sides. I mean, if you're Luke Donald, you're picking a kid that was playing college golf earlier this year.
Speaker 2: Yes, he has.
Speaker 1: Won two tournaments. Yes, he looks like he's legit. Everybody that plays with him, everybody's singing his praises. He looks like a superstar in the making. But he's never played in a major, which comes with a lot of pressure, and a Ryder Cup is a completely different animal, and a Ryder Cup on kind of home turf. For the Euros, there's a lot of expectations. I think after Whistling Straits, everybody thought Hey, this is the next generation. It's kind of the golden generation of US Ryder Cups, right. I mean, this is where we are going to see a US dominance the way the US dominated at Whistling Straits. I think these matches are going to be a lot closer than people think. I really really do. I think the pairings are going to be really interesting in what are the pairings?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: What do these captains? How do these captains make this choice? Having walked around with the US team for the last four days and walked around with captain Zach Johnson and all the vice captains, Steve Stricker, Stuart Sink, Davis Love, I think the US team, like the European team now in twenty twenty three, are relying heavily on analytics and statistics to try and figure out their pairings.
Speaker 2: Now is that important? Absolutely? You want to know.
Speaker 1: How your players are playing. You want to know how they statistically step or stand out, and what their strengths are and their weaknesses are. Not only from a partnership standpoint, but for the golf course. I talked to Hendrik Stinton and his caddy, Gareth Lord. Hendrick Stinton was going to be the Ryder Cup captain. He went to Live and then that went to Luke Donald. But in looking and talking to those two, they were talking about a lot of the stats that they were looking at, and even before the captain's picks, they kind of had an idea of who was going to make the team, and so they were looking at all the static the statistics. The US team led in a lot of those, but one of the areas that I think the Euros felt like they could make some gains, we're kind of in that one eighty to two ten range. They seem to have better statistics there. I think you're going to see a lot of second shots. With the way this golf course is set up, I think you're going to see a lot of second shots in that one hundred and eighty to two hundred range, and I think you're going to see some of the par threes kind of set up to match those yardages. So the Euros are trying to use analytics, trying to use data. They're trying to moneyball their way to a victory. The US team's going to try and do the same thing. However, I think if you're just looking at statistics and data in trying to figure out how to win a Ryder Cup and how to figure out your pairings. I think you're missing things. I think you're missing the human element. And I think if you're just going on the human element and just going on your gut and just going on kind of what you feel and not looking at the data and not looking at the stats, I think you're missing something too. So I think there's an art to blending these together. I've had Paul mcginneley on the on the pod in the past. If you hadn't had a chance to check that one out, go back and take a listen to it.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: Right before Whistling Straits, and Paul talked a lot about kind of how he was a captain. And I think Paul was really the first one at Glenn Eagles to kind of moneyball this thing, to go ahead and take a look at the stats, to take a look at the data. I think a lot of what happened beforehand was just kind of gut instinc and kind of personal preference. Who wanted to play with who. I think Paul McGinley was one of the first Ryder Cup captains to say, hey, listen, my brain thinks like this let me get a data team in here, and let's crunch some numbers and let's take a look at what is going to happen. So I think if you haven't had a chance to go back and listen to that podcast, the one with Paul McGinley is a fascinating listen. But all of these captains are trying to figure out where they can have an edge, right. I think the way the golf course is set up every two years, the host team, the host captain sets up the golf course. They can set up the golf course any way they want. So if you look at the way the golf course was set up at Whistling Straits, if you look at the way the golf course was set up at Hazelteam not a lot of rough.
Speaker 2: The Americans have a bunch of.
Speaker 1: Bombers wide fairways, so they want to try and give the US wants their players to have an opportunity to stand up and pound driver Paris narrow fairways. The rough was brutal. It was set up for the Americans. This golf course, the rough is barutal. If you hit the golf ball offline, you're going to struggle to find it. I've watched players hit golf balls into the rough and over the last four days we've struggled to find them. And so I think the way the golf course is going to be set up. Luke Donald is going to try and set the golf club up, golf course up for him and his team. That's what he's going to try and do. But is that going to work?
Speaker 2: Right? Is that the way that they're going to win? I really don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the answers are to that. What I do know is that this isn't one on paper. If it was one on paper, then the US over the years would have a lot more of these than they do because on paper it's looked like, you know, they're the studs, right, But this isn't played on paper, And to a large extent, this is.
Speaker 2: A putting contest.
Speaker 1: I've talked to a lot of former captains. It doesn't really matter what happens from a team selection, from a partnership selection.
Speaker 2: None of that matters.
Speaker 1: The only thing that really matters is how the players Friday, Saturday and Sunday, how they putt.
Speaker 2: That's the only thing that matters.
Speaker 1: This is a putting contest and Historically, over the last thirty years, the Euros have potted Us at times off the golf course. They have had players that weren't superstars that have just.
Speaker 2: Potted their ass off.
Speaker 1: I was at the last Ryder Cup that the US team won on foreign soil in nineteen ninety three at the Belfry. Peter Baker, who played the European Tour for a long time. He was a rookie and he made every putty. Looked at for three days it looked like the Euros are going to win. At the very end, the US snake to victory. Davis love Hold the winning pott, but Peter Baker made every putt, and if I remember correctly, on Sunday he made another really really long pott and Jim Lampley, the former US sportscaster, did work it. NBC did a lot work in boxing. He made a long pot hooped it from twenty five thirty feet on live TV. Jim Lampley said, mark it down. Peter Baker will not only win one Masters Championship, He'll win two.
Speaker 2: That's how great of a pottery is.
Speaker 1: He didn't go on to do any of that, but that just goes to show you that the focus is going to be on putting. Who can make the putts, the right potts at the right time, Who makes that six footer to get back to all square, Who misses that six footer to go one up, Who hoops it from thirty feet, forty feet, fifty feet and changes the momentum and kind of changes these matches. We see that all the time. See these matches change and momentum over the three days is.
Speaker 2: Such a massive, massive part of this.
Speaker 1: And when you're at these Ryder Cups. But for those of you that are going to be watching at home on TV, you can feel it, right, you can say, Okay, the US great example, you know, the just finished Solheim Cup. Hats off to Suzanne Petterson and her team. The Euro's big comeback. They were zero to four in the first in the morning matches, they're down and they lose every match and they come back to win the tie the Solheim.
Speaker 2: Cup, but they retain the cup. That's a win. But on Sunday it looked like the US team was gonna win.
Speaker 1: They need basically one more point, and the Euros in the matches that they needed to started making putts. Putting is key, is ball, striking important, absolutely, He's driving the golf ball important, absolutely. But if you can't putt, you can't make the at the right time. You are going to struggle. So I think it's going to be fascinating over the next three days. And I think these two captains, Luke Donald and Zach Johnson, they've got a big task ahead of them to try and get their sides ready. Let's go ahead and look at the morning pairings. Okay, these just came out. Scotty Scheffler and Sam Burns go out first against John Rahm and Tyrol Hatton, Max Homa Brian Harmon go up against Victor Howlin and Ludwig Aberg, Ricky Fowler, Calla Morikawa against Sepstraca and Shane Lowry, Xander Patrick Cantley against Rory and Tommy. So the US sits Brooks Koepka, they sit justin Thomas, they sit Jordan Speith.
Speaker 2: Do you make something out of that? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Scotty Schffler, Sam Burns, that pairing makes sense. They're boys, they grew up together playing high school golf, junior golf. Xander and Patrick. I think Xanders building the house next to Patrick in Jupiter that's how close they are. Ricky Collin Morikawa, I think you can make an argument that they play a similar type game. So in the morning, the euro send out three players that have majors, Roy McElroy four, Shane Lowry one, and John Rahm two. The US sends out Scotti, Scheffler. He's got a major, Brian Harmon's got a major. Colin Morrikalas got a couple of majors. But you sit a five time major champion in Brooks Koepka, you sit Jordan Spieth, and you sit someone that you chose as a captain's pick, as a two time major champion. I guarantee you JT is going to play in the afternoon. I think you're gonna he and Jordan go out. I think you're gonna see Brooks Kepka go out. And but the issue I think is going to be I think Zach is going to want to try and get everyone to play, and I think Luke's going to try and do the same thing. The last thing you want to do is what happened at Brookline, right, the big miracle. Ben Crenshaw, I got a great feeling about this. The US is down. It looks like they're gonna get beat and they come back. The Euros had a couple of players at Jean Vanderveld and I think Andrew Colhart, maybe Yarmo Sandalin. They had a couple of guys that never played until the singles. I don't think you want that. I think you want to get the guys out. I think you want to get them in the mix. I think it's important if you've got rookies on the team, you need to get them out. So Max Homa, Brian Harmon rookies, they go out, Sam Burns rookie. It's it's going to be interesting. Ludwig Ayberg, that's a big, big I think it's smart pairing him with Victor Hoblin. They're both Scandinavians, they both hit it miles. I think there'll be a lot of comfort in that. I kind of like the Tyrrilhatt and John ram pairing, right. I mean, you've got John Rahm, who's been number one in the world, current Master Champion, one of the top three best players in my opinion, four easily top five best players on the planet, and.
Speaker 2: He's a stud.
Speaker 1: The Euros have three guys that are their foundation. Rory John Ram Victor Hoblin. They are the foundation of that team. They are expecting a lot of points from those three. And then you've got Sepstraca, who's a rookie. You've got Shane Lowry who was captain's pick, and then you've got two of the best ball strikers around in Roy McElroy and Tommy Fleet. I think, based off of what those guys do in the morning, if Ludwig and Vic go out and play well, I think you could you could make an argument that they stick with them.
Speaker 2: And if Ludwig kind.
Speaker 1: Of plays really really well and is comfortable with Vic, I gotta think you ride them out, do Ricky and Moricau? I mean, if they go out and they get a big win, do you keep them together?
Speaker 2: So this is what this whole event is all about.
Speaker 1: It's trying to figure out who's got the hot hand coming in, who's not playing well, and then you're hoping your pairings in the morning.
Speaker 2: Produce.
Speaker 1: But if they don't, then We've seen this before on both sides. But I think we've seen this a little bit more from the Americans, have they as they've been on I mean in the last thirty years they've been on a losing streak. They they won last time, you know, resounding fashion. They won at Hazel Team, but they got smoked in Paris. Right, I don't think they figured out. I don't think they had the right team for the golf course. I think the euro set the golf course up for the team that they had, and I don't think the US maybe sent over their best team for that golf course. But that's what you're trying to do as a captain, right, You're trying to I mean, you don't know, right, you don't know if I mean, although Xander and Patrick Cantley are best of friends, right, you don't know if that's gonna work. You don't know if that partnership is going to work. And I think that's the fascinating thing about this. What I will say is is I've spent a lot of time around Zach over the last four days. He seems really, really calm. He's got guys on his team that you know. Zach's two time major champion, Davis Love's major champion, Jim Furick's major champion, Stuart Sinks a major champion, Freddy Couples is a major champion, and then Steve Stricker was the captain of the last Ryder Cup that the US dominated. So there's a fantastic backroom staff and I think a lot of this is going to come. But as I said earlier, none of this really.
Speaker 2: Makes a difference.
Speaker 1: The only thing that makes difference is how the players play, right, the players. I think the captains have a big role in this, but the biggest role is down to the players. And I'll give you the best example of that, right. So, the miracle at Medina Jose Mario o Thabo one of and I've seen him this week. If there's a nicer person in the game of golf, I don't know who it is.
Speaker 2: I really don't.
Speaker 1: He is a gentleman, he's multiple major champion, He's one of the nicest people I've ever met. And he was the captain at Medina. The US had a big lead going into Sunday, and very similar to what the US did at Brookline, the Euros had a massive, massive comeback and you know.
Speaker 2: You've got Ali. He's in tears.
Speaker 1: He's saying that the win for the Euros, the miracle, the comeback was for seb You could almost feel the energy of Jose trying to channel his great friend and his partner in the Ryder Cup, I mean seb and jose Mauriel Thobel. To me, they are the Ryder Cup partnership benchmark. They're the partnership that every other partnership is based off of the success that they had, the camaraderie, the love, the writer or die spirit that they had for each other. To me, that's what a partnership in the Ryder Cup is all about. So at Madina, you've got this massive comeback on Sunday. But that comeback started Saturday night, and how did that come back start? That comeback started with Ian Poulter doing what Ian Poulter does, make putts when he needs to, and that carried on into.
Speaker 2: Sunday and.
Speaker 1: Jose Mariel Thobel can chant his great friend and let's do it for Sevy. That's an unbelievable sentiment. That's a great feel good story. But if you don't make any putts, and if the Euros don't putt put their asses off on Sunday doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: They lose and they didn't.
Speaker 1: So this is a putting contest, that's.
Speaker 2: What this is.
Speaker 1: I could see, I mean, I could see two to two coming out of that in the morning, and I think, I think everybody'd be happy with that. But if this is three to one or four to zhero, regardless of whether it's to the Americans or to the Euros, then some scrambling, some panic sets in, and then you start saying, okay, now what do I do? So then I think what ends up sometimes happening is you start trying to invent partnerships, right, and I don't know if that'll I don't know if that works. I think these are kind of one and lost by finding a hot pair and writing it.
Speaker 2: So I think that's going.
Speaker 1: To be really really interesting. From a brook standpoint, I think you'll see Brooks play at some point with Scotty Scheffler. I think I would really like to see Brooks play with Brian Harmon. They went out today on Thursday. They went out into a practice round. They were playing each other's ball. They played different balls. Brooks plays sticks on, Brian Harmon plays a titleist.
Speaker 2: They were trying.
Speaker 1: Each other's ball out. I know in one of the practice rounds other than to other than Thursday, Brooks played every practice round in his group and Scotty Scheffler was in his group, and man, I just I can't say enough about that guy, right that guy is just such and impressive golfer the way he drives the golf ball. Listen, everybody talks about the great drivers of the golf ball, DJ Brooks, Rory, John Rahm, these bombers. I'm telling you, if there's a better driver in the golf in the game of golf right now, that isn't Scotti Scheffler.
Speaker 2: I don't know who it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, he just has so much power, hits the golf ball high, can carry the golf ball miles in the air. I just can't say enough about him, and watching him play this week up close, I mean, he is a dominant, dominant, complete player. I think I think you could see maybe Brooks play with a guy like Wyndham Clark. Very similar type characters, tremendous confidence, tremendous self belief that to a lot of people borderline borders on arrogance at time, which I gotta be honest with you, I like it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I mean Wyndom Clark came out last week and was talking about he thinks he's as good as Rory and all that. Do I think Wyndam Clark is as good as Rory McElroy. No, I don't, But the fact that Wyndham Clark thinks that way. You want someone like that, who's got a who just won his first major in a pretty dominant fashion, in a pretty gritty fashion out at LACC in the US Open. You sure as hell don't want guys coming in here that don't think they're as good as Rory McElroy, right. I mean, I think a lot of people think, Okay, you're arrogant and stuff like that, but you need that self belief.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Does Wyndam need to express that and put that out in the media and then have Rory see it and all that. I don't know, But I think Brooks and Wyndham are very similar type characters and they're not scared, right, They're not scared of each other or are not scared of anybody, And I think they could play. But I like Brooks with a guy like Brian Harmon. I really think that could be a very good pair for the both of them. To me, it reminds me a lot of Brooks's first Ryder Cup in twenty eighteen at Hazelteine. He played with brand Snedeker. When they were asked by the captain, who do you want to play with? Who do you want as your partner? They both put each other down as people they didn't want to play with. They ended up playing with each other and they played great together. So I think that could be a good partnership. I really like the Ludwig Aberg. I'm probably butchering that name, but and Victor Hovlin the All Viking team, I think that's going to be a very good partnership. And listen, I think Rory McElroy partnered with Tommy Fleetwood. If they go out and get a win, do you keep them together and try and, you know, recreate the Frankie Mullinari and Tommy Fleetwood where they just crushed everybody. So I think the golf course is going to have a big say in I think the conditions are going to have a big say in this. I think the captains are going to have a big say in this. But the people that will have the biggest say in this Ryder Cup will be the twelve players on each side. The captains, they've got the job at trying to figure out the pairings. They've got the job at trying to pick the right people for the team. But the players that play each of these Ryder Cups every two year cycle, it's the players. And are we going to see the US do what they did at Whistling Straits. They made a lot of potts, they found some good partnerships, and the big players stepped up. Historically on this run over the last thirty years, where the US hasn't won nearly the amount of Ryder Cups they should have, the Euros have gotten a lot of points from their horses, from their stuts Clarkey, Westwood, Sergio Rory, John Rahm, and par Us. They have gotten points from their superstars, And when the US hasn't been winning, they haven't gotten the production. They didn't get a lot of points from Phil, they didn't get a lot of points from Tiger when they weren't arguably the two best players in the game and the two biggest players in the game, they were the biggest players in the game.
Speaker 2: Tiger is the biggest player in golf, right.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting that t dubs out here this week. I thought he would be here. I thought, you know, some of the other Ryder Cups that he hasn't been a part of he's been a captain. I don't know what you make of that. I'm sure he's been on the phone to Zach and a lot of guys on the team. I think it would have been cool to see him here. I think everybody here in Italy would have It would have been.
Speaker 2: Great to see Tiger.
Speaker 1: But this is to me about how the players play, how they handle the amphitheater. Now that is the first tee there's probably about I was down there this morning for the for the photos with the team and got to watch the team get their photos and then one of the cool things that they started doing last year for US coaches, we get to get a picture with the player and the caddy that we're working with, which I got to do it with DJ and Austin Johnson at Whistling Straits, Ricky Elliott and Brooks cept Ga got to do it today.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: If you're a player, a benchmark of your career is playing on a Ryder Cup. If you are a caddie, one of the benchmarks of your career is caddying in Ryder Cups. For a player, and for those of us that are here this week, the coaching fraternity. It's a huge honor to be here at the Ryder Cup working with a player on one of these teams, and you kind of feel like you're part of it. This year, for the first time ever, the PGA of America gave all of US coaches some of the uniform pieces, So we've been wearing some of the same clothing that the players have and the rest of the team, and it makes you feel like you're part of the team. It's a very very interesting, it's a very unique week. It's a very long week. We were all saying today Thursday, hey, can we get these damn matches started. It's a long, long week. Early in the week and the American team, the majority of them, only played nine holes each day. And on the first day, Brooks was paired in a group with Wyndam Clark and Wyndham said, you played nine or eighteen? And brook said, I'm only going to play nine, And Wyndham was trying to figure out if he was going to play eighteen or not. And Brooks said, listen, all I'm going to tell you is, having been on three of these, these are very very long weeks. Try and conserve your energy. Try and stay fresh because there's a lot of stuff. There was the gala last night, there's the opening ceremonies, there are team dinners, there are team meetings and the matches you know, Friday Saturday. There's morning sessions and afternoon sessions. So the guys that are teeing off in the morning tomorrow, they are going to be up incredibly early to get to the golf course. The traffic in Rome, let's just say, there's a lot of traffic, so the players are making sure that they a lot enough time. It took us the first day, our bus driver got lost. It took us almost two hours to get to the golf course. It's the golf course is about no traffic, about thirty to forty five minutes from the city center where everyone's staying. But with traffic, if there's an accident, it could be an hour and thirty. So that is a big part of the preparation. So listen, these are some of the coolest weeks of golf. And I have overloaded already on pizza and pasta. It's been fantastic. In you when you are at a Ryder Cup and you're lucky enough to be working with a player that is playing in a Ryder club like I am. It's very very special. I can't even imagine what it's like for the players. It's just got to be the coolest thing ever to put on a shirt, you know. Brooks got asked in his press conference earlier in the week, you feel like you're flying the flag for live and he said, no, I feel like I'm flying the flag for the American team and the USA is on my hat, and I think everybody here feels that way. I haven't noticed any you know, with Brooks being the only live guy on this team. You know, was there some animal that I haven't seen any of that I've seen Brooks, you know, hang out and do the same things that he always does with all of these guys. So Zach Johnson, Luke Donalds, how are they going to get the team ready? And how are the US team and the European side going to respond? It is going to be a very very interesting week. I for one, am so excited that this damn thing is starting. And like I said, golf course will play a role and who wins this. The captains will play a role and who wins this. But ultimately this will come down to the twelve players on the American side and the twelve players playing for Europe. How do they play, how do they handle the pressure, how do they respond to what is constantly happening on the golf course. That, to me is what makes these weeks so fascinating. And I've been at a lot of Ryder Cups, but my favorite part of the Ryder Cup are those late matches, right those matches that whether it's Friday, Saturday, even Sunday, where there's only really a couple of matches out on the golf course, they tend to be the pivotal matches and you basically have the entire American team, players, caddies, captains, vice captains, support, why, girlfriends, everybody associated with those teams. With the American team will be on one side of the fairway going down, and on the other side of the fairway the Euros will be there. When they get to the greens, everybody's sitting and you'll get to see a lot of this. And to me, I've been lucky enough to be a part and be around some of that atmosphere and it's just the coolest thing. It really really is, and these are very very special weeks and for the players that have been lucky enough to be involved in Ryder Cups, they are I think there are memories of a lifetime. I think you see players form bonds and friendships that last really.
Speaker 2: Their entire career.
Speaker 1: And just a cool, cool story from Hazeltine. It was Brooks's first Ryder Cup twenty eighteen and I told him when he turned pro, you don't ever want to miss one of these, and you'll understand once you get on one of these. And when he made the team in eighteen, it was really a life changing experience for him. But he played with Branson Edeker. They played very well together. You wouldn't think that they'd be friends, you wouldn't think that they'd get along, but they were just a great partnership. And I think Brent did a great job at kind of shepherding Brooks. It was a rookie, but a cool moment. At the end of Brooks's singles match, there was a cart there with one of the vice captains of someone from the US team and said, all right, where do you want to go? And he said, I want to go see Brent finish his match. I want to go see my partner and I think that is just so cool, and I think that speaks a lot to what these weeks are about. So if you're watching in the US, get your asses up early and watch. And I am very very excited for the twenty twenty three Ryder Cup. As I know everyone listening thanks for listening to the podcast. I wanted to make sure that I could get through these practice rounds and get you all as much information as possible. Son of it which comes to you every Wednesday. We will see you next week. I sect the twenty twenty three Ryder cop