Speaker 1: Welcome to Bill and Juliana the Podcast.
Speaker 2: Hi everyone, Welcome to Bill and Juliana the Podcast. Today we are talking to an expert in screen time. He's also an expert in executive functioning ADHD child development. He's worked with families for over twenty years. His name is Mike McLeod. He is an author. He has a book out right now. It's called The Executive Function Playbook. And he's great, right, Bill, love him. Now.
Speaker 3: What I really like about Mike is he makes it really easy to understand. He breaks it down for you in just simple, easy steps to make your life better and your kid's life better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he doesn't sugarcoat anything. So we're going to get to the bottom of screen time, how much is too much, and what you can do as a parent, and his advice for all of it. So please welcome Mike McLeod.
Speaker 4: Welcome Mike, Thanks for having me. I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: I mean, I see so many of your videos and so much focus is on time, and you think that is a real problem.
Speaker 4: Is it is an absolute fact, it's a real problem. It's just one of these things that we're just clearly turning a blind eye towards it for many different reasons. You know. Number one, most parents are addicted now, so they feel kind of they feel very guilty removing their own kids screen time.
Speaker 1: You're looking at one over there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well.
Speaker 1: Hours yesterday, Okay.
Speaker 4: Well a lot of dogs have been saved because of that screat is true. There you go, That's why I put that dog back there for you. But that's exactly it. So number one, parents are addicted to and then number two, let's be honest, it's fear. So we're at the point right now where there is so much research, so much data that brain rot is real, digital dementia is real. Screens make parenting harder. It's horrible for kids, like just so bad in every possible way that parents know if I remove the screen they already have, they're going to withdraw and act like addicts, and they're going to trash my house and physically attack me, and it's going to be horrible, terrifying. So that fear causes them to keep the screens in their lives. But no, there's no ifans or butts about this, Like someone needs to come out and be brutally honest about screen use because you know, as soon as big tech realized we're going to make the majority of our money off of kids, especially our neurodiverse kids. Can't. You can't mention ADHD in twenty twenty six without also mentioning an incredibly debilitating screen addiction. It goes hand in hand when your brain is already hardwired towards instant gratification and you're very impulsive. That word impulsive, that's so synonymous with ADHD. That's you're already naturally that way with the brain you were born with, and then a screen comes into your life, there's no way you're going to be able to regulate it. And throughout all my years, I've worked with so many kids with ADHD that were, you know, on their way to become the valedictorian. They were on the swim team, they were on the golf team, they had tons of friends, they get the phone and everything just you know, all of a sudden, they're in their room for hours, behind closed doors, doing whatever. And we live in a world now where we're too scared to send our kids, you know, twenty minutes down the road to the store, but we'll give them open access to the internet behind closed doors. The Internet is the most disgusting, unregulated place in human history, and we just let kids surf it, like we see how people act on social media. You guys have seen it. It's the most it's the most racist, anti semitic, every phobia you can possibly imagine, and we give kids access to it. And now big tech is also taken over our schools where kids are watching hours of YouTube at school. It's it's really really sad what they've done. And our ADHD kids are the biggest victim of big tech's predatory marketing.
Speaker 3: Well they're stealing I mean, they're not stealing it, it's part of the contract we signed with them. But all the data, yeah, you know, so that's where the real that's where the real theft is occurring.
Speaker 2: But Mike, Mike, you putting it that way is like, oh my gosh, it's so scary. It's shocking because when you were saying the internet is such an awful place, you know, immediately, like our generation, our mind goes to like adult content. But you're right, like the messaging just everything about hate, and it's like bigger than even just that, you know, it's just the all of it is out there and you forget, like you don't even think like and everyone's like, my kid wouldn't look at that. My kid and his friends are so great. My kid's friends don't do that. But we all think that until you see it's like, oh wait a second, it was my kid and it was his friends and or her friends, and it's really terrifying. So all of that said, what is the solution, you stay and age where it has you know, it's like it's not like just beginning social media and technology. It's here, you know, and so we're in it and we're in it deep. So how do we do this? Like, what is the appropriate time for a kid to be on a screen? And how do we how do we do it? What do we do?
Speaker 4: That's exactly what do we do?
Speaker 2: I need the answer?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really terrifying. So you know, number one, the last thing any parent needs to do is wave the white flag to big tech and just give up and all of a sudden say, oh, we're in the screen filled world. We have to give them access to it now so they can learn the skills to balance. That is the biggest parenting pipe dream of today's day and age is give them the phone now so they can learn to balance it for later. That is not going to happen. That's under that same mindset. We should let them drive every day until they turn eighteen so they can learn to drive, give them, give them a little bit of alcohol every day so they can be ready when they're turned twenty one. It doesn't It makes no sense. It's not going to happen. There is no especially if they have ADHD. This concept of a balance or skills to balance, it's you need to throw that out because it's not going to happen. So number two I mentioned earlier. Parents are also very very addicted. And if you remember back in the day, we used to know other families in our neighborhood, Like when you would send your kids outside to play, you weren't nervous about something happening to them because we knew the people in our neighborhoods. They would watch each other, they'd be out doing things.
Speaker 1: There was a sense of community.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now we're all staying home so much because we have all the convenience of just just order on Amazon or check this, or get door Dash do this. So we're just home too much, and we're around our kids too much, like they're an annoying roommate who never leaves. They're just always there and they're not going outside and playing anymore. So the parents don't have the connections with others. But this is all about strength in numbers, because what happens as soon as you go to your kid and say I need to cancel your phone plan, I need to get rid of your Xbox, your PlayStation or your iPad, the first thing is you're the worst parent ever. None of my friends' parents do this. You're ruining my life. I'm going to lose all my friends. And this is exact exactly what big tech wants. Is this incredible social pressure of if you don't buy your kids the nicest, best things, you're failing your kids. So big tech tells us every day, get your kid a phone. It'll make them safe, smart and social. But we now have an entire decade of decade of research and data to tell us it does not do that. It makes them depressed, which is a fact, depressed, dormant and dependent, and far more antisocial. So we need strength in numbers, and parents need to interact with each other. And if I'm going to eliminate screen time, I need two or three other families on my block in my kids class to do it with me.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, you've got to have solidarity.
Speaker 2: And screen time includes not just the phone. I mean just okay, So in our house, when Duke is not on the phone, and by the way, Duke supposedly is not on Snapchat or Instagram, so we have to dig. We have I mean, we look at it. Yeah, I know, and he says he's not. But I feel like some kids high.
Speaker 1: Give it a look. She's a techie, so to give you his phone.
Speaker 2: He's young, She'll figure it out. So that is one thing. But so then you know, we see him on his phone and he is has like group texts with his friends, but then he also mostly is like looking at cars online and like the I guess it's like the internet, right, and yeah, but when he's not on it, we're like, hey, Duke, get off your phone. Then he's on YouTube watching the Tryan Trey hand and all these guys, and you know, I watched them with Duke, and I think, okay, well, this is better than being on his phone by watching a.
Speaker 1: Video shaping time learning, Like I think.
Speaker 2: I'm curious with my things because Bill, I think the same thing, like so I think to myself, Oh, well, he's not on his PlayStation, right, right, he's not a video game, and he's not staring at a phone three inches from his face. Surely this is better. He's watching a TV from far away and it's YouTube and they're doing like hotel reviews and fun stuff. And I'm actually very entertained by Ryan tree Hand and mister Beest and these guys. Is that better? Not so much?
Speaker 4: So this is exactly what big tech wants is they want parents to convince themselves of why the screens are okay, Like it's okay if he plays Minecraft for five hours he's building beautiful things.
Speaker 1: Or it's okay if he plays fine the hand coordination skills.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's okay. If he plays Fortnite for all night long and doesn't even sleep because he's talking to his friends and it's a social experience, it's completely it's ridiculous. So, you know, we throw this term screens around all the time, but in reality, it's the Internet. Anything that gives kids access to the Internet. It's not a screen addiction. It's an Internet addiction because YouTube just you know, yeah, it'll have ads pop up and you can skip ten seconds. But it's just short form content being thrown at you, especially if he's doing the YouTube shorts, just up and down, up and down, all those kinds of things. So it's that instant access to whatever you want. You know. Like just the other day, I was thinking about when I drive my daughter to her school every day. She now has the ability to scream at me of daddy play this song, Daddy play that song, and I could do it right away. When I was a kid being driven to school by my parents, I had to listen to whatever was on the radio and just sit there and kind of do it. Is this era of just instant convenience of being a Yeah, I get that gratification is there so anything? So smartphones did not become addictive until that they got connected to the internet, and calling it a phone is all part of big text marketing plan. Phones are social. Phones are calls and texts. Let's be honest. That Apple iPhone we all have now is stronger than any computer we had in college. It's a supercomputer in your pocket at all times. So it's the Internet that's a problem. Flip phones are not addictive. Video games did not become addictive until they got connected to the Internet like Fortnite, roeblocks minecraft you know, parents were not kids were not trashing their parents' house over Super Mario and Zelda and all these different things. So it's the Internet and that provides the endless loops, things that were specifically made with persuasive design where they hire teams of psychologists of how do we make this as addictive as possible, Just like they said in that lawsuit against Meta it is, you know, behind the scenes, they were saying, we're basically pushers, We're basically drug dealers. We're basically selling kids drugs. And that's exactly what the Internet is doing. It's grabbing their attention.
Speaker 2: So what is a normal amount of time for kids to be on screens? Is there a normal amount of time? And also is that part of a negotiation, like for instance, it's a reward instead of just something expected every single day.
Speaker 4: Well, it's definitely not to be expected and there's definitely not a negotiation. The last thing you want to do is have a negotiation, because very few parents have the willpower to win a screen time negotiation. It needs to be a very very clear, structured thing of you get your access to it after a long list of things are completed, including at least an hour of outdoor time. That's the biggest thing. So parents will do like, you know, wash the bathroom, you know, do your laundry, do this. No, you need to add outdoor play, social play. Did you play with your friend face to face after school today?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Then you're not getting your screens. It's as simple as that. And you know, every screen is different. Not all screens are created equal, and every single kid is different. Sure, I have met the very few amount the one percent of ADHD kids that can handle screens. But there's a big thing on Instagram, on parenting social media that says all behavior is communication. But we only want to believe that when it's warm and fuzzy, like, oh, he just needs more. It's a connection seeking behavior. He just needs more hugs and kisses and me to get on his level and to coregulate. So we only want to believe that when it makes us feel good. But how about the flip side of it, How about the behaviors you see after the screen time, or the behaviors you see when screens are not available to them. That behavior is communication too, and that behavior is communicating. Hey, mom, and dad. My brain can't handle this level of stimulation. You gave me too many screens too soon. I can't handle this. When this is in my life, I have no desire to do anything else. So no kid's going to come to their mom and dad and say, hey, I think you need to cancel my phone or can you please sell my iPad. They're not going to do that. They're going to tell you through their dysregulation.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Yeah, no, you're right. And I think going back to I like what you said earlier too, is that with screens, like we allow it, we're allowing it too much, and we need to start looking at screens differently, like for what they really are. Right, they're not just this like little innocent thing that that we can handle. By the way, we're adults and we can't even handle it. Most of us are addicted to our screens, even as adults. But what I was going to say is I loved what you said, Like kids will literally go nuts towards their parents if the parents just walk in one day and they're like, screens are out, Like a kid will lose their marbles these days. And that's why so few parents are scared to do anything like that because their kids will lose it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So what I'm saying though, is that but we almost I like what you said before because it made me think, I'm like, hush, it's so true though, like back in the day when we were young, like if our parents came home. Now, this is like the equivalent of like us coming home and Duke's on a screen. If our parents came home and we were like doing drugs, right, like smoking something or something like, our parents wouldn't just be like, oh god, well, I'm not going to stop her because she's going to be so upset if I stop her, Like you have to look at the big picture as a parent and go, this is not good for her health. And I need to help. I need to figure this out.
Speaker 3: But they watch the parents, right, So if the parents are smoking weed or whatever, they're gonna do, so the parents need to cut back. If if the kid seized the mom or the dad glued to the screen the whole time, Yes, you know, it's good enough for my mom and dad, it's good enough for me.
Speaker 2: I know what you're saying, I'm gonna cut back.
Speaker 3: I'm not pointing fingers, no, no, I know what you mean. But I think you know, you have to lead by example.
Speaker 4: That's exactly it is. Yeah, if you're a parent on your phone in front of your kids, you're fighting a losing battle, like you are setting them up or being addicted. And the biggest thing that I coach parents on is catch yourself. Is when your kid's trying to talk to you, you're on your phone. If you instantly rationalize it, oh, but I'm doing work things. I'm doing important things like oh, like don't interrupt me on like like my son's trying to talk to me, my daughter's trying to talk to me. But it's okay because I'm doing good things. I'm not frying my brain. I'm actually helping people. I'm actually doing something. The second you try to tell yourself that, that should be the biggest flag of okay, I need to calm down a little bit.
Speaker 2: And even in the car, I have to say, kids pick up on everything. So I think like as adults, like you know you've been driving a long time, you're like, okay, if I'm at a red light and let's say I need to put in my ways a new address right or something like that. Kids just see you look at your phone yep. In like as as you're like quote unquote driving, like and I'm saying even just stop, you know, stopped at a light, that's still not good.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So it's like as an adult going, wait a second, my kid is with me. Even this, you should practice without a kid in the car with any time. But my point is like, especially with your kids around, never ever, ever, ever look at the phone in the car, because what message is that sending your kid? So like then people can but well, I know, honey, I was just looking at my ways. It's like, well, then get your ways, like put the address in before you push, you put your car into drive. Do you know what I mean? And say that to your kid, Like I'm gonna put let me set up my ways. I'm going to put the dgress in before I drive. Do you see how I'm doing that? Not as I'm driving and going around the block. Oh, let me start putting the address in now. It's like they take all of that, right, and they take it into their adult life and then the next thing you know, they're texting and driving or you know. And so it's like all these behaviors that we do with our phones that we really need to cut out as parents. Okay, so you were saying, then what so is there like a formula then? Okay, so after this book a long list of so basically book Mike, you're saying, it's not a negotiation. I know what you're saying before. It's not a negotiation. It's the rules, basically the rules, right, you're telling your kid, here are the rules in our home when it comes to screen time. This is what you need to do, and you'd establish that as a parent, right like outside times.
Speaker 3: So many parents want to be their kid's best friend, right, well, and I think that's a problem. Perfect They want to be the cool parents. Yes, they want to be the you know, like I'm cool, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: And that's what social media is doing. It's the pressure on parents from all these parenting gurus. It's not normal to pick up your phone twenty times a day and every time you open Instagram it's another parenting person yelling at you about this concept of the perfect parent. You know, parenting is always has always been that phenomenon of the more work you put in, it actually gets kind of kind of harder. It's always that thing like like, let's talk about this right now, both of you. You know, very successful, many many goals reached. You've accomplished many goals and done many great things. Parenting's probably number one on the list in terms of hardest things you've ever done. Correct, not even a question there you go. So, of all the things you've done, all the different jars you've reached out to, parenting is the number one thing that has been the most difficult thing. And that's what it is. So it's not about you know who you are, whatever it is. Raising a human being is an imperfect science.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we'll make the list. The screen time, that's good. So I think the screen time's a big thing, and we know that that's a problem in this country, in this world really, and so parents just kind of leading by example, setting ground rules that work for your family. What's like a third point of screen time that you want to share with viewers.
Speaker 4: Well, the biggest thing is delay, delay, delay as much as humanly possible. You know, we have to recognize that the second you bring a phone into a child's life, it becomes the center of their life and everything else is going to fail. In comparison. You know how many millions of parents read the ANXIS generation was incredibly moved by it, but then just put it back on the shelf and did nothing about it. And that the screen addiction continues. You know, we talk about like you're going to be very hard pressed to find a parent, an adult that says that their phone has positively influenced their life. Most adults would throw their phone in the ocean if they could, and like, I never want to see this thing again. But we're adults with fully developed brains. The brain grows until thirty years old, and we can't handle the addictive drug of a screen. And someone had the bright idea of let's give these to kids. Let's get like, let's give them to someone with half of a brain.
Speaker 2: So what is the age? Mike? You have a daughter, You have a daughter, she's young. How old's your daughter?
Speaker 4: She's still there, she's five years old.
Speaker 2: So what is the age? And you know, as a parent and as an expert, what is I'm sure so many people ask you, like, what is that magic? Is there a magic number when it comes to when we should give our kids a phone? Or how do you do it? Like or do you just give them a phone with no technology on it? Like just for like emergencies like, how do you do this.
Speaker 4: Well, if I were to buy my daughter a phone, that would make me the biggest hypocrite in the history of the world. So that's definitely not happening. But there's enough options out there in terms of dumb phones, flip phones, gab phones, bark phones. There's enough out there where you can give your kid a phone, have that piece of mind. They can reach you in emergencies, they can do calls and texts and those things. It just doesn't have to be a smartphone. A smartphone is not a phone, it's a supercomputer. So like, yeah, you want to be able to text your kid, you want them to be able to make phone calls, You want them to have those things, And get them a phone that is not connected to the internet. Stop focusing on screens, focus on internet access, because the second they have their own internet access, Think of all the parents out there that have done the right thing and have fought the fight and neverhaved to big tech, never bought their kid a phone. Then all of a sudden, they send their kids to school, and school gives them their own fancy laptop, and the school created a screen addiction because now the kid's watching YouTube all day at school and now they like, Mom, I'm going to go in my room and do homework, and not a second of homework it's done. They're just doing whatever they want on the computer all the time. My heart goes out to those parents that did the right thing, but then their taxpayer dollars or their tuition dollars went towards a computer that really harmed their child. So you know, we have to just focus on overall. At the end of the day, it's about ex So you know, two hours of screen time are minimally negative if they already spent two, three four hours outside the friends doing a club, a sport, an activity, outdoor play.
Speaker 1: Look at it, holistics offsetting. It's a carbon like a carbon offset.
Speaker 2: So no phone, you're saying, So, no internet until eighteen or until they graduate high school, until they're adults. What do you think.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's.
Speaker 4: Well, you can't ban the internet like they're gonna they're gonna need like to be able to do research, and you know I can the internet.
Speaker 2: I can do whatever I want to have a tough care. No, what do you think?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: What do you think? Then his parents like to know kind of what's the age.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so so it's every single kid is different. But they should not be getting their own smartphone until they're probably a junior or senior in high school. That's when they should get into a smartphone. You know. It's because because they are they are going to have one. Yeah, in college they are going to have on. Let's be honest, they will have one, and you know, walk walk across a college campus these days, it'll be pretty pretty barren, and you know where they are. They're all on.
Speaker 3: Their phones where they're all their heads are down, Yeah, exactly, no one looks up anymore.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's really all about you know, you have to look at it holistically. Like I said, so delay the smartphone as long as you possibly can. Don't bring things like Fortnite roeblocks. Minecraft that's not going to benefit them. It's not going to give them social skills, it's not going to you know, do anything like that. It's all you know, how many sports music art How often are they out of the house. How often do they have other adults to hold them accountable. We have to look at what what are their talents, what are their interests? Are they just watching YouTube and getting stuck on something and then then that comes that becomes the rest of their lives.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm going to just say one last thing about screen time because I think that a lot of kids are excuse me, a lot of parents. Their struggle is when the kid says, well, all my friends are also on Snapchat. All my this is how we communicate. All my friends do this, All my friends do that. So what I have to say to that, and I'm going to start doing this with Duke is you know I grew up my parents. You know, we move, We moved from Italy when I was a little girl, and my parents were like the very Italian parents, if you will, very strict parents. And when I used to pull that on them, Oh, my friend gets to go to camp for eight weeks, or my friends get to go on that, you know, to Daytona Beach, you know, for spring break. I want to go too, And they were just like, no, well, your friends can do whatever they want. Their parents can do whatever they want, but you live in our house and you're our daughter, and this is the way we do it. And you just tell your friends like, this is how we do it in our house, and that's that's it. And I remember like thinking, you know, I was so upset when I was little. But then and there were a lot of things I couldn't do that my friends could do. And now I look back, Oh, I'll tell you what A big one was sleepovers. So I could never sleep over to a friend's house. That was huge. And now as an adult, I look back and I completely every single thing they didn't let me do. I understand now as an adult. And so I tell Duke, I've told him this before. I use an example, I use examples of my childhood, and I'm like, Duke, I know that it seems hard now, but let me explain when I was little. And I think sometimes kids like the story. They like to hear that you've had that experience. It resonates, and so that's what I'm going to do. But what I mean is that what parents should do.
Speaker 4: Mike.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like you just draw the line and go, you know what, in our house, this is how we do it. Because you're going to have kids who are going to make the argument that their friends are all doing it, why can't they do it?
Speaker 4: So let's quiz you guys real quick. What do you think I'm going to say? To that from the advice I've giving.
Speaker 1: It's tough, tough luck kid too many.
Speaker 4: That's what it is. Am.
Speaker 2: I acting like Duke right now.
Speaker 4: But that's exactly what it is. Af