Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us on this park Hopper episode of Magical rewind say it every time, saying it again?
Speaker 2: Special episode.
Speaker 1: It's We're like the eighties television shows where every one of them is a very special episode.
Speaker 2: But this one is.
Speaker 1: We are completing the trifecta. Do you do you realize that they're Sabrinaworks competing the trifecta of skaters featured skaters in our very wonderful film that we watched, Go Figure.
Speaker 2: And of course I have to.
Speaker 1: Say it like that because it is one of the ones we have with an acclamation point. And will you please help us Welcome today's guest, the third in the trifecta, Amy Hollerin. Hi, Hi.
Speaker 3: Guys, this is my first ever podcast. Is it really way?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Awesome. I'm so honored that you got to do it.
Speaker 1: I also love that right you you were in a screen, an empty screen, then all of a sudden, this microphone just floated in as if by nowhere.
Speaker 4: My friend Doug is kind enough to let us use his brand new fancy podcast studio.
Speaker 1: Oh wonderful. Well, we're honored that this is your first ever podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited. I listened to one of one of yours.
Speaker 4: My best friend is like a Disney nerd, like Disney, love it all Disney all the time.
Speaker 3: So she was like, what, let's listen to them now.
Speaker 2: Oh the way, which one did you hear?
Speaker 3: We listened to a Go Figure one from a while? Okay?
Speaker 2: You all right? Good, all right, good, I am glad.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome to not only our show, but to your first ever podcast, thank you, which is the coolest thing. Now. I don't know if you're aware, but it is the law that if it's your first podcast ever, you have to open with an original song.
Speaker 4: Go oh, okay, this is my first podcast.
Speaker 2: Be great.
Speaker 1: Out by the way, you didn't have to do that, but no, thank you so much as you will. Since you watched the episode, you know that we recapped Go Figure and we are very happy because you are.
Speaker 2: Completing the trifecta because we had Jordan.
Speaker 4: On okay, I've got to listen to hers, yeah, and Antonia on Antonia okay yeah.
Speaker 2: Have fun.
Speaker 1: So we are very very excited to see if basically you can prove that both of them were lying in their interviews.
Speaker 5: Wow, it is serious here on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Don't worry before we get into go figure itself. We always like to ask how did you start your entertainment journey? Where did you grow up? And how did you decide that you wanted to be in the industry.
Speaker 4: I mean, I feel like kind of when I popped right out of the womb, I came out with tap shoes.
Speaker 2: Ooh.
Speaker 3: I just always with you know, like they saw me come.
Speaker 4: And I was just kind of always like a performer. I remember like dancing on my mom and dad's coffee table all the time. They own a flower shop, so I was really used to being around people, so I would like help. Even when I was like four or five, I'd be waiting on people, which customers found alarming, but I was very insistent on it.
Speaker 2: You will buy this tulip.
Speaker 3: Is your mom here? My mom is busy. What can I get for you?
Speaker 2: What can I get for it?
Speaker 3: So great, and I was just really lucky.
Speaker 4: We grew up in a community that really nurtured the arts, and we had a wonderful theater. At the time it was called Actunes and now it's called Conquered Youth Theater. And I actually grew up with kind of a slew of really successful actors, probably the most successful being Chris Evans. Get heard of him, heard of them, So I always say I've played his mother, brother, sister, father, everything. So yeah, so Actunes like was just awesome. They got me in there. I think in fourth grade I started doing musicals, and then we also had a wonderful summer camp Middlesex Summer Arts. It's a private school during the year, and then a summer camp. So I also went with that same group of kids every summer. So I was just so fortunate to have that available and then have a family that, you know, we weren't wealthy by any means, but all of all of our money kind of went.
Speaker 3: Towards you know that kind of the theater.
Speaker 2: Well that sounds like you were wealthy in support, which is really what you need entertainment, which is great.
Speaker 3: And I had all.
Speaker 5: Those things just so close to you and like able to grasp reach amazing, and.
Speaker 4: It really like totally saved me. I mean I was you know, I was a chunky kid and bullied, really hardcore bullied, and so I mean I just remember that first audition. It was for Tom Sawyer and it was my third grade teacher, Jane Lifton.
Speaker 3: She cast me as Tom's mom.
Speaker 4: And I just like everything got better from then on. Parents were like the whole your whole life changed just by having that one teacher believe in you and give you a chance. And I actually recently saw her. She was lovely enough to come to my grandmother's funeral and I sang at my grandmother's funeral and she's.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, it was so beautiful. And I've never told you this, but when we first met, you could not sing a note time.
Speaker 4: I worked with you harder than any other student ever. There you go, like that Maine person like it does. She probably saved my life in the long run, like if I hadn't had that outlet, you know.
Speaker 3: So yeah, really splash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the importance of teachers, everybody, we talk about it all the time.
Speaker 5: It is such an honor to be able to be like the teachers that at that take on that that task, and it really is just it's a huge, huge thing for kids.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, massive, massive yeah.
Speaker 4: Theater. I mean I think about all the peopeople who have come in and out of that theater over the years, and it really is like a life saver.
Speaker 3: I'm just so grateful for it.
Speaker 1: So then, how did that translate into auditions for the industry TV film.
Speaker 3: Once I got into theater, I was like ready to leave high school. I was like, I want out.
Speaker 4: So I combined junior and senior year and graduated when I was sixteen. Not due to being smart, just motivated to.
Speaker 3: Leave, Okay, I just wanted out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So then I went to New York City right after I turned seventeen to go to musical theater school. Okay, So I went to AMDA for two years, and then I did a musical theater tour of Pinocchio nice all around the country, and then kind of started to meet I met a friend in New York who's from LA and I've always like looked or not now, but you look a lot younger than I am, and I have this high voice. So my friend was like, you know, you do really well in Los Angeles because you're of legal age, but you can play high school, so like it would probably like makes sense for you to get out there now. So then I moved when I was nineteen, and I only knew her this one lovely girl, Kim Goldman.
Speaker 3: I came out just on my Kim. Thanks Kim, You're a great support system. Appreciate you.
Speaker 4: So yeah, we I moved out and I was just really confident and headstrong. I took a class with a commercial a commercial casting director, and afterwards I was like, hey, I need an agent. Can you help me do that? And he's like, oh, no one ever asks me that, Okay, and he's like, come in tomorrow. And I chatted with him and he made a phone call and it just worked out that a pretty good agency had just lost their like chubby girl, you know, so like I kind of fit this, I know. I mean I don't act so much anymore because you know, I'm a little over it.
Speaker 2: But yeah that's preaching acquire. Yeah, you know it's so.
Speaker 3: Rough and dark, very dark.
Speaker 4: But yeah, no, I really went through it, but really lucky that he believed in me and I had wonderful agents and they were they were really supportive.
Speaker 3: I mean, I definitely did. It was a long journey.
Speaker 4: Of like I got to the point where I ended up leaving a TV set once, like a multi cam comedy that was like an awesome job, and I was like I was only twenty two, I think, but I was like I can't do this. All of it was like fat chokes aimed at me and I was playing a thirteen year old oh, and I was like, oh my god, this is like the opposite of why I want to be in this business, Like, yeah, I want to encourage people to be happy with them their bodies and themselves.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: But year was that because it's like, if you think about it, it's something that now in twenty twenty five, it just wouldn't it seems changing.
Speaker 3: I think it is. I think it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's still there, but it's yeah, it's definitely changing.
Speaker 2: But everyone's like it's over. It's not.
Speaker 3: And I think I mean it's you know, it's kind of cyclical. It's up and down.
Speaker 4: But I think that was that was probably about twenty years ago, about the same time as I did this movie, because I did reach a point in two thousand and six where I had worked a lot, but I was getting approached really just to be like the site gag, like I remember, I think it was a Marlon Wayne's movie.
Speaker 3: They wanted me to.
Speaker 4: Like get stuck in a garage door like it like somehow like because I was too fat, and then my head would get cut off and I was like, Okay, I'm drawing the line, I don't want.
Speaker 3: To do this, you know.
Speaker 4: But then that's the sitcom was called Still Standing, and it was so icky because like the lead of that show was this big, fat white guy, Mark Addy, and he was like making fat jokes at my character's expense, and I was so uncomfortable. And luckily the lead actress, Jamie Gertz, was fabulous, and she was like she could see how upset I was, and she pulled everybody aside.
Speaker 3: And and so the.
Speaker 1: Legend, I mean, Jamie Gertz is straight up legend from she's a brat packer.
Speaker 2: I mean, she was.
Speaker 1: She's one of the og awesome. I've also heard couldn't have been a nicer human being. I've heard that from several people.
Speaker 3: She was so great.
Speaker 4: And you know, I as a guest star, you know, I hadn't been a series regular or anything. At that point. I wasn't gonna just walk storm off set. I was going to call my agent afterwards. But she could see how ikey it was and she was feeling gross about it, and and then it.
Speaker 3: Was so tacky.
Speaker 4: I mean they ended up, you know, essentially firing me, which was fine. I still got paid and I didn't have to do the job. And so then I was like, I cannot wait to see how they rewrite this episode. And they just rewrote it to be an ugly girl instead.
Speaker 3: Of a fat girl.
Speaker 4: So really high brow, highbrow work.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, and that that show didn't last. It sounds like it last out a while.
Speaker 4: I mean it really was definitely a handful of seasons, like you know, but what a bummer.
Speaker 3: But I was happy. I was never so happy to be fired. I was like, oh thank god.
Speaker 4: I was like, I can't sleep at night, Like yeah, no, no, gross. I've always been like a curvy gal, but I'm not like morbidly obese and you'd pick and then you picture. I'm like, I'm thinking of kids watching me on screen being made fun of, Like how is that going to affect their Nike?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and what the you know, the industry unfortunately, like the size of what's not thick or not you know, yes, skinny, the correct size is just so unrealistic.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Well it also really highlights I think an even bigger issue, which is and we saw this really on Boy Mets World when we were in seventh season. I had put on like thirty five pounds or forty pounds, and Danielle Fischer had put on like eight or nine, and it was like, look, how big Danielle has gotten. To the point where they wrote an episode literally about the two of us putting on weight. And it was like, I was because I was a guy, and.
Speaker 2: I was the funny guy. Nobody really said boo.
Speaker 1: But because Danielle was the pretty girl and put on a tiny amount of weight at nineteen or whatever the hell she was, that was all you heard about was Wow, Danielle got big, and we're going to write it up. I mean, so you It was also very much had to do with whether you were a girl or.
Speaker 2: A boy totally how you were treated in the industry.
Speaker 1: So thankfully we think it's getting better.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it takes time. All that stuff takes time. But there's the.
Speaker 1: Straight up body shaming for a joke. Is hopeful crazy a thing of the past.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and just like yeah, just fascinating. And it was always like the same ten of us, like Hollywood chubby girls at every audition, you know, you know, you get used to showing up with your same type, but it was just like always the ten of us and we're all and I was doing so well for so long. You could I would like walk in the room and you could see to'd be like, oh, great, cheeseier because I was like booking fairly consistently, am but you know, but then you know, I'd feel the I'd be like, well I saw that one.
Speaker 3: She got my part last time.
Speaker 4: But but yeah, but go figure was I think two thousand and five, Yeah, it was this this time, so exactly twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: Actually, so that's what, well, what I want to ask you about.
Speaker 1: So this, I mean, this just comes across your desk like a regular audition, right, like, hey, here's it.
Speaker 4: Here's a regular Disney just a regular Disney movie audition. That was my first Disney movie audition.
Speaker 5: I think I was gonna say, is that were you going out for Disney things here and there?
Speaker 4: Some some not a ton I'm not as much as maybe I should have been, like with my kind of Disney voice and yeah, but I've been doing just a lot of guest stars and this came.
Speaker 3: You know, I went in and it was a very classic actor story like okay and can you ice skate?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: And you're like, oh, Jordan is the same thing.
Speaker 1: They're like, yeah, of course, of course I can juggle on horseback.
Speaker 2: Why why would you even ask that?
Speaker 3: Yes, ridiculous question, of course. And then I remember I think it was just one.
Speaker 4: It might have been like a pre read with casting and then with producers, and then they were like, you have two weeks and then you're going to be doing an ice skating audition, so like I could ice skate.
Speaker 3: You know, I grew up in New England, so I could.
Speaker 2: Wear New England. Did you grow up? I'm just curious.
Speaker 4: Outside of like in the burbs of Boston, act in Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: Okay, acting? Well, so okay, cool? From Connecticut.
Speaker 1: So I'm from Connecticut, Oh yeah, yeah, and all my family's in Plymouth, mass and and and Worcester so okay, yeah, yeah, no I know the area. Well, this is also producer Jensen is laughing right now. I need to know exactly where everybody's from.
Speaker 3: But I like it, like.
Speaker 4: I'm like that in l A when somebody tells me their neighborhood. I'm like, yeah, but like what crosstreats, I like to know where everybody again, as a.
Speaker 1: New England kid, I'm and you must have had you've had you had some cold weather experience.
Speaker 4: Something like stand on skates, but like you know, I was not in good shape, you know, and and it's different just to like you know, tool around the rink.
Speaker 3: Or other than like play hockey, you know. But I was really lucky.
Speaker 4: One of my best friends that I had grown up with had just moved to l a and he was a hockey player. Oh, my friend Johnny So John Johnny Johnny, we were we were just rehashing this story.
Speaker 3: He so I was like, you got to help me, man, Like I don't know how I'm going to do this.
Speaker 4: I was like, this is a really good role for me, Like I know I can do this. This is like very this is a really good opportunity. So we got to make this happen. So I bought like secondhand pads and a stick and all the stuff, and we went to Pickwick and Burbank.
Speaker 3: R I p yes, everybody I went.
Speaker 1: I went to.
Speaker 2: I think it's still there.
Speaker 3: I think it just closed, like literally, it must have been like just I think in the last three months probably Oh no, is it really gone? So I'm pretty sure all right, delivering the.
Speaker 2: Oh No is the best.
Speaker 3: I'm like ninety nine percent shirts.
Speaker 1: Every child actor whoever had to be on skates ever learned at Pickwick totally.
Speaker 3: I don't know where we go now.
Speaker 4: So yeah, we would practice and practice, and my main thing is I just like refuse to learn to stop. Like I was like, can I just like go into the boards? So I was just like, so I'd be skating fine and then just throw.
Speaker 3: Myself into the wall.
Speaker 4: And my friend, my friend Johnny was just like, oh my god, this is just you're never going to get this job.
Speaker 3: Like I remember calling him to telling tell him I got it, and he was shocked, I got it.
Speaker 2: You did? I don't know how to stop? You did it?
Speaker 3: Did you just like just skate right out of the rink. I was like, I'm pat it. I'll just throw myself in the wall. It's time. That was such a good idea to prep with pads.
Speaker 5: I don't think I would have actually thought of that because those have to be so awkward and bulky to like maneuver around, like not only are you on skates, but you have these like yeah, cardboard looking boxes around your body. Oh man, that was a good, good, good thing.
Speaker 4: It was definitely a look like I had a bunch of and it was a mismatched, you know, because I went to the secondhand store so I have like different knee pads and.
Speaker 1: And that you couldn't have a more Disney story than that to get the second pad. All this kind of just so I can learn how to ice skate. It's like that's a Disney story into itself.
Speaker 3: It was awesome.
Speaker 5: Have you had a chance now now that you know you shocked your friend Johnny you went and filmed it. Have you had a chance to go back and watch it?
Speaker 3: Yes? We know, didn't you? I hadn't.
Speaker 4: I hadn't seen it in years, and I have two nephews and they had really never I've been done TV in like a long time, so they have not really seen me on screen. So when I was home this fall, I was like, or not even no, they're just a spring. A couple of months ago, I was like, would you guys want to watch this hockey movie that aunt Amy's in?
Speaker 3: And they're like, Amy's in a movie and I was like yeah.
Speaker 4: So we watched it together and it was so fun to watch them watch it, and like, especially the little one.
Speaker 3: Was like Amy, that's you on Amy, that's you, that's you jumping up and down.
Speaker 1: Really pointing out again, uh, because I get a lot of ish for this from my friends as well.
Speaker 2: You're pronouncing it correctly from the East coast. It is aunt not it. Thank you very much, very happy to hear that. It's so much so okay.
Speaker 1: So you you you learn how to skate, just not how to stem up, which, by the way, and I'm exactly the same way. That's how you do it. What was it like when you got to the set? Was their intense hockey training? I mean, I think we heard about some serious it was really beating up your body's hockey training.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us a little about what that was like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was early mornings.
Speaker 4: We coached with the I think she had was the coach for the Salt Lake City Olympics, so.
Speaker 3: She was like a real hockey coach. And it was I'm not an early morning girl. Never happened, never will be. And we were picked up at like five am, you know, and it's freezing cold, and.
Speaker 5: We're just like, like it is here in l A right now, Yeah, in the sixties, it's.
Speaker 1: Like sixty odd degrees and she's like, it's freezing it.
Speaker 5: Will I were arguing about it before we brought you.
Speaker 3: No, I don't like it either, so I get it. It's like I just want my son all the time.
Speaker 4: So so yeah, no, it was really hard and exhausting and kind of, you know, kind of miserable.
Speaker 3: I was the.
Speaker 4: Oldest maybe I don't know one of the actresses. If you even like mentioned the word age, she would run and hide. So so I don't Actually, she could have been ten, or she could have been sixty.
Speaker 3: She was playing thirteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, but generally speaking, I think I was one of the only ones. I think maybe Whitney might have emancipated. I think at that point.
Speaker 5: But wait, no, Tanya by that time was in her twenties, wasn't she.
Speaker 3: Well, she's the one. I don't know. She could have been sixty. She couldn't keeat.
Speaker 2: I think she was six. And we've heard that with other people.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, she was like you would you There's no way you could get her to answer that question.
Speaker 2: Oh no, we had one.
Speaker 1: We had one actress that was literally twenty six playing thirteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: Twenty three playing thirteen, So okay, I think it was or maybe it was twenty four, but yeah, no, twenty three.
Speaker 3: It must have been twenty three thirteen.
Speaker 4: So most most of the kids had their moms with them, and you could definitely tell the moms were like weary of me, you know, like, oh no, like this this this is like a woman, you know.
Speaker 2: Like what is she up to?
Speaker 1: You know, like just handing out cigarettes and booze to all the kids.
Speaker 4: Essentially not to them, but like I was living my best life there on my own.
Speaker 6: You know, like you really yeah, like really going for it, because I was like, I had this sweet hotel room in Salt Lake City, this giant, huge, sweet I I think I was there for three months.
Speaker 3: I flew two different dudes in that I was dating to come visit me. Nice, just in a fun way, not scandalous, you know.
Speaker 1: Fine.
Speaker 3: I was in my ear you're floss. You're like I was in my early twenties in on in a movie. So I am independent.
Speaker 5: I can pay my own bill, get you a plane ticket out here.
Speaker 1: You said you're flying dudes in while playing a thirteen year old in a d com.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was like, freaking I love that, you know, possibly.
Speaker 3: You know you're smoking a little you know, marijuana up the window.
Speaker 2: Hit the dresses, revel I hand I love it.
Speaker 3: Gary marsh Wll.
Speaker 4: I had it together on set and I was there always on time. But yeah, but we you know, we would be done at three, so I would like go and but it's also Salt Lake City, so it was a dry town. So I remember you had to like if I had a day off once, so I was like, oh, I'm just going to like see what.
Speaker 3: These bars are like.
Speaker 4: Obviously by myself is the one woman in maage really that I knew of.
Speaker 3: And and you.
Speaker 4: Had to like get a little card like a membership card to go to the bar or something.
Speaker 3: It was like some weird law.
Speaker 4: They had there really, since it was like a dry town in a way. But no, I know, I was up to no good and I was keeping it under under wraps. But the moms knew, like they saw me coming.
Speaker 3: They were like, what is this.
Speaker 2: Girl, Chidry?
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Nice just coming and smelling like bars and weed, Like are we skating today? So I'm happy to hear all about that.
Speaker 1: So even though there was a big age difference, did you all bond as a cast pretty quickly?
Speaker 3: Pretty quick? Yeah? I mean we were all really different.
Speaker 4: I would say, like very very different, much like kind of the archetypes of the characters in the movie. Everyone was very different. But we had all been working in Hollywood for a while and so we would but we wouldn't hang out a ton of I mean, it was kind of exhausting by the time we got home from either practicing or filming. Everyone kind of just like went to them their own room.
Speaker 1: Did it's also twenty three and fifteen or whatever. That's no, you might as well be ten and eighty. I mean, it's it's a huge age difference at that age.
Speaker 4: I would say I probably chatted more with the moms than the kids, really, but they were all like really nice, like lovely girls.
Speaker 3: There was not a lot of ego or nice you know.
Speaker 4: But it was my biggest memory of it was like they really didn't tell us when we were doing all this ice skating practice that we were.
Speaker 3: Gonna have doubles.
Speaker 4: So like we put in all of this work like skating and skating, and I'm like stressing out, like, oh my god, I'm gonna have to do do this and then then we have a double to do all.
Speaker 3: The hard work. And I was like, wait, why do we have?
Speaker 2: About five am. I was at the park till four fifteen.
Speaker 4: Totally my other biggest memory, Like, you know, I was a heavier girl, but I guess I just had good body image in general, because I like I remember opening the costume truck and walking in and they were padding my double to make her bigger to match me, and I.
Speaker 3: Just lost it.
Speaker 4: Like I was just like I was just heartbroken because I didn't see I didn't see a physical difference in us. You know, this was like she was probably actually fourteen, really good hockey player, like really cool girl, similar looks.
Speaker 3: Like I never looked at her.
Speaker 4: Like, oh no, she's not going to match me, because I just didn't have that opinion of myself.
Speaker 3: I guess, Oh, I guess it's a good thing in the light thing.
Speaker 2: Sure, but it was shocking.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh god, and it was pretty lumpy and weird, like like I felt like I walked in on them like stuffing her to look like a Teddy bear or something. And I was so upset by it, just like I had to excuse myself and call my manager and be like, you know, just kind of cry it out because it was just kind of messing with my self image.
Speaker 5: And I think that goes back again, is like not whether it's it's in it or not. There is definitely at least a little bit more caution that happens, like to if that's the case, to do something to where that that you should have never been in a position to be able to go in and see that, right. And I think I hope that now they are a lot more cautious of stuff because especially with young like well anyone you know, and had you been fourteen, the difference, oh my god, have affected you at fourteen versus in your early twenties is significant as well, you know, just your.
Speaker 4: Brain even in my twenties that is like burned and like feeling like seeing them stuff stuff in her in her hockey outfit, I was like, oh no, I was like, ugh, but my you know, my managers and agents were awesome and supportive and we're really good and I you know, just brushed myself off and went back and I'm glad you had such a great team around you.
Speaker 2: That seems like a lot of support, so much support. So before I guess one.
Speaker 1: Thing we forgot to ask is before you started, were you a Disney fan?
Speaker 2: I know you said like you have a friend who's a fanatic.
Speaker 1: Were you into the Disney channel or did you coms or no?
Speaker 3: Okay, not really a big Disney person, always a big.
Speaker 4: Like multi cam sitcom person. Really love I just I just love me too, me too. Yeah, that's all I ever.
Speaker 3: Want to watch.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite show, favorite show of all time?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, I mean of all time. I mean it's all I know. Oh god, of like a multi cam I don't even know. I mean there's so many, Like there's just like that, you know, there's like classics like Facts of Life and all, and then there's like, you know, the newer even you know, Friends obviously is a classic as far as that goes.
Speaker 4: I think now we have mid Century Modern, which I've decided is going to save the multi cam and bring it back. I think it's going to do it. I'm so psyched about it. It is so fun and like they can swear because it's Hulu. I can't even Like all my friends have been texting me, have you seen the yet?
Speaker 3: Have you seen it yet? I'm like, yes, of course I've watched it, but I so hopefully I think it will. I think we're going to make a comeback.
Speaker 1: So then you didn't really know, like when what you were hopping into with a d com with the Disney machine, not at all.
Speaker 4: I had one friend, Billy, who had done the wrestling movie maybe two years before or like the same kind.
Speaker 2: Of yes, which is one of our yes.
Speaker 3: Okay, so my friend okay, going to the mat, that's that's the way. He actually came and visited me on set. We went to sun Dance. It was Sundance when we were there filming too, so that was fun. But it was really fun for him because it was the same crew. I don't think it was the same director, but almost the whole same crew.
Speaker 5: It felt like as well, Yeah, it was really it.
Speaker 3: Was really fun for him to come and visit.
Speaker 4: So that was really my own only you know, anything I knew about it was just from him and that he had had a really fun experience doing it. But I definitely wasn't raised on Disney as much. You know, we didn't go to the parks or anything because it was so expensive, So I wasn't a super fan, So it wasn't It didn't make me like nervous or anything, you know, like it frankly, totally, yeah, I didn't really care that much. I was just like psyched that I was going to get to go to a new city for three months and you know, just hang out and it was great.
Speaker 3: It was really fun. It was a really fun adventure for sure.
Speaker 5: So after you got done filming, then, because a lot of people, especially like their first time in the Disney Channel like air, you know, just kind of the word girld of it, they start to like quickly notice after where whether it's a TV show or their d coom kind of comes out. Did you start getting noticed? I mean because d coms were just so big? Yeah, were you starting to like get notice from that more than other projects that you've been a part of.
Speaker 4: Do you feel a little bit, But that's actually happened later in life, Like I'd actually noticed if I see someone like a girl like staring at me who's like ten years younger, ten to fifteen years younger than me, and they're like really trying to feel Like I was at a Christmas party with someone and this girl she was like I.
Speaker 3: Just can't figure it out. I know, I know you, And as I'm walking out the door, I was like, wait, how old are you?
Speaker 4: And to whatever her age was, I was like, go figure the Disney Channel she's like, yes, that's the blue hair.
Speaker 3: Actually more more as an adult.
Speaker 4: I actually, right when I got back from shooting that movie, I booked my first series regular pilot and then they picked up the series, so they ended up never airing the series, but we shot it all, so I kind of this The movie was really exciting, But then that was so exciting.
Speaker 2: How many episodes did you do? Six and they never air They never aired any of them.
Speaker 3: No, Well, that so sad.
Speaker 4: I don't know that I could ever, like, I don't know that a man could break my heart.
Speaker 3: As much as that. But it was awesome. It was called Thick and Thin.
Speaker 4: I was thick, but it was a really cool It was by Paula Pell, who's one of the best SNL writers ever to live. Waur and Michaels produced it and I played Jessica Capshaw's sister.
Speaker 3: And how did this not air? I know it was.
Speaker 4: It was the two thousand and sixth season and they were just losing Kevin Riley they had just fired off of as.
Speaker 3: The head of NBC.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it was like this weird time and I remember like they actually didn't even I found out by having reading the trades delivered to my doorstep that it wasn't airing, like no one, no one told me, oh why they bought us as they bought thirteen originally and then halfway through they cut the order to seven. So like it wasn't a great vibe on set, but we still thought after like shooting all of those Yeah, and it was a great Martin mull played my dad, Sharon Glass was my mom. Chris Parnell was in it like he was. It was like literally a dream come true.
Speaker 3: And this message was so great because it was like Jessica was playing my older sister and had lost all this weight and was living this like new thin lifestyle and I was just a normal sized girl, completely happy with my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The message that was the hard.
Speaker 4: Message, and it was like really special for the fact that this was two thousand and five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, way ahead of its time.
Speaker 3: Wait, I think maybe me too ahead of its time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know, we had the typical like they changed, We had the kind of a different set of showrunners come in that kind of change the vibe and I think maybe I'm not sure exactly what what happened, but it was the best experience of my life. I mean, getting to work with Paula Palat just she's so legend.
Speaker 3: It was amazing, and that like a sponge around her. You're just like so up.
Speaker 4: And I was basically playing her, she kind of I was playing her character.
Speaker 1: Wow, all right, So everyone out there, thick and thin, we've got to get this.
Speaker 2: We've got to find way to get this.
Speaker 3: I have all the episode?
Speaker 1: Do you allowed to just upload him?
Speaker 2: Because we want to We want to see that I did.
Speaker 3: I uploaded clips once and the comments on you tube are always so usually pretty like rewarding. People are like, wait a minute, wow, did this not go on a e G.
Speaker 1: Gosh. Well, okay, speaking of cast, we can't not talk before I even say the title of the piece. So here's the cast that you were working with, Ben Affleck, Christina Applegate, James Gandelfini, Catherine O'Hara, Stephen Root, on and on and on. So this is a film called Survivor Christmas. How do you walk on to that set? What is that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: It was crazy and strange and it was such a weird part, Like I basically they dressed me up like a little doll and I was like singing in the Christmas pageant. So I didn't have a ton of interaction with any of the characters. I had one brief, not great interaction with James Gandelfeini. He was not It's not very warm or nice to me. I don't know if he didn't think I was.
Speaker 3: He may not have.
Speaker 4: Known I was in the movie, but I was dressed like a doll and on set, so that's probably getting him too much credit.
Speaker 1: Not to disparage it dead, but it also shouldn't matter whether you're in the movie.
Speaker 4: Treat somebody was very nice and I wasn't even I was just like, hey, how you doing? And he was pretty grumpy, but probably he was just having the worst day he was having all it.
Speaker 2: Was a higher mob family. It was exhausted.
Speaker 3: I have to lead a mob family and now being this weird.
Speaker 1: And deal with my regular family and breathe as heavily as I do.
Speaker 2: It's very The's a lot going on with James Gandelphine.
Speaker 4: That movie is so funny though, because you know I had I guess the whole I think I had some lines that ended up getting cut in the final edit.
Speaker 3: So like, you see me pretty well on screen, but the way.
Speaker 4: The credits roll, it's it's as if I was a lad, like I'm pretty high up, and I've probably made more money on that than almost anything I've ever done.
Speaker 2: Like that, Wow, it's awesome.
Speaker 3: Basically being a glorified extra.
Speaker 4: In her shoes too, in her shoes, I played young Tony Collette and that they did that scene did get cut, but it was cool.
Speaker 1: I still get to film it with her, which You've worked with some pretty incredible people.
Speaker 3: Was she was? She just so nice, so nice.
Speaker 4: But that was an icky entertainment industry story too. They tried to not pay me.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: I was there doing a costume fitting and they were like, I had to wear braces, so like they had to send me to like the dentist of the stars to get fake braces made.
Speaker 3: So they had had the braces made. I brought them to the costume fitting.
Speaker 4: We were doing the fitting and they're like, we're just gonna take some quick photos while you're here, and I was like, okay, like photos for the movie, like like as in, this should be a day of work, and they're like, you know, not just some photos.
Speaker 3: I was like, let me make a phone call. I think people. I don't know if people didn't realize that I was of age or something because I looked younger, because I feel like they were always trying to kind of get get ye pull over on you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I called my agent. I'm like, I think they're trying to not pay me for a day of work. And that was exactly what they did do. So then the Asian was like absolutely not. So then they were like okay, and then brought in a contract. I had to fill it out and then I got paid for the day of work.
Speaker 3: But so what ended up.
Speaker 4: Being in the film is just basically this picture of me with my braces. I'm like, it's the like least the laddering picture of anybody ever.
Speaker 3: And that's and the scene ended up getting cut from the movie.
Speaker 2: So the only one that's it. That's it. You see the image.
Speaker 3: You just see the image of young Tony Collette, you know, her character me like with my giant braces. Yeah, funny like, and that's what they were not going to pay me for. It was the one thing that made it in the movie. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I'm just lucky that I had the like street smart and wherewith all to be like, no, this is you.
Speaker 1: You from walking off the set on the sitcom and calling your agents to this. You had more poise and self awareness for a young actor than I think I've ever talked to anybody, because I don't think I've ever done that where I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, I got to call somebody, I got to do somebody.
Speaker 1: And to have that at that young of age really impressive.
Speaker 3: It's very East Coast like working class. You know.
Speaker 4: My parents are hard workers and strong willed and you know, smart, and I think I just was good at like sensing like, oh this is off, like something wrong here. So yeah, that was definitely yeah, that was That was bad, but it ended up working out because then I got that second day of work and then I've made like so much money off that in her Shoes movie where it's only a photo, you know, great, like a crazy amount of money from this one two.
Speaker 3: Days of work.
Speaker 2: That's what is that?
Speaker 5: What Cameron Diaz too?
Speaker 3: It is Yes, if Cameron and you'll see I have all I have a still of it that I like had printed at one point because it's just so funny. That's awesome.
Speaker 5: So you had a scene with her and it was was it like her reminiscing about like a flashback.
Speaker 4: It was a flash The scene was a flashback. So was me and young Cameron Diaz, okay, and it was like very dark. I was like in the it was like nighttime scene. I remember we were in bed and it was shot like pretty quick, and that's what ended up getting caught.
Speaker 2: I got.
Speaker 3: It was really good.
Speaker 1: Before we let you go, we have to talk about one of your passions, okay, and I want to just show you. This is my girl Sammy right there, and so we know that one of your passions is dogs, yes, and can can you tell us a little bit about your work and what you're doing and all that good kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was really lucky.
Speaker 4: Like as soon as my acting career kind of started to slow down.
Speaker 3: I actually after the.
Speaker 4: Thick and Thin thing where when canceled that and I was like, Okay, maybe this isn't possible for me to be a normal sized woman on TV. And then I getting sent out on all these icky auditions and psyche gag stuff, and I was like, I'm gonna I need to lose some weight. I hate this life for me, So I kind of screwed myself by losing fifty pounds. So as soon as I got thinned and they were like now you're not fat enough and you're not fin enough.
Speaker 3: You're kind of useless, and was dropped by all of my agents.
Speaker 2: So you're kidding. Your agency dropped you after you lost weight.
Speaker 3: Not my original agents.
Speaker 4: The second because after that big TV show, like when we thought it was gonna air, they were like, we need to move you to bigger agency, which made sense, and then they eventually were like, yeah, you just don't fit the mold, you know. So that happened in like O seven and and so I was like, okay, I had been lucky ever since moving here at nineteen, I never really had to have any I had to have like some survival jobs, but just like the little things here and there. But once everything kind of dried up when I made that choice, started working part time walking dogs, and you know, I grew up with we always had a boxer dog growing up, or like a big dog family, and yeah, I got started in that and eventually kind of peeled off with my friend Doug, who's being kind enough to let us use his.
Speaker 2: Podcast podcast, Dog Podcast, Dog.
Speaker 3: Dog, so and we started our own dog walking business and in twenty ten and then we kind of peeled off because we live kind of far away to cover two different neighborhoods a couple of years ago.
Speaker 4: So we each have our own business now. But yeah, I've just been it's just been I'm so grateful for it. Like I have the best clients, like the loveliest They're just awesome. And it took a long time to build the business, you know, but now I feel like I'm at a point where I just everyone who I work with like I consider them like family too, you know, like they're just like friend and it's it's it's really great business to have and I get to work for myself. Yeah, and I have a lot of free time to do creative things as well. And then about eight years ago, I started getting into fostering dogs through a Purposeful Rescue, which is one of the best rescues in the in the city by far, shout out to them, and so so yeah, so it's been my I live with my best friend Natasha, and we've been fostering dogs for about eight years. I think we've were on our like twenty ninth dog successful placements.
Speaker 1: So that's my wife and I have talked about it and we just think we would just end up with fifty dogs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, I don't know how you like, yeah, I couldn't give away.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you're really excited for them, I would say almost always, because like you know, not every dog is right for your lifestyle, sure, you know, and and it's it's very hard, you know, like because also I have the dog business, so sometimes I have like twelve dogs at the house, you know, like we bore dogs at the house. So I have a dog, my roommate has a dog. We always have one foster dog, and then whoever's sleeping over the business. So we're just like surrounded by it. But but the fostering has been super rewarding and I've met some really incredible people and I just, oh, I would love I wish I could have more people to do it, and I know not everyone's cut out for it. But we're like in a serious crisis in LA right now.
Speaker 1: Like we've talked about it. My wife and I like it because our we don't want another dog.
Speaker 3: Fires well there's a bunch of things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everything just people buying dogs is really the problem.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we don't want another dog, but we think our dog wants another dog.
Speaker 4: Which which you would be surprised they may not, but that's why fostering is a good Yeah.
Speaker 3: She loves try it out.
Speaker 2: She loves other dogs, so we we we Yeah, we're what's your name of the foster do you work with?
Speaker 4: Again, A purposeful rescue is great, and I stand with my pack is great. There's a lot of really, really great rescues here is there are a handful of really shady ones too, So you want to do research because there's a lot of we.
Speaker 1: Worked with Pause for Life who were great and yep. So Sammy was actually in the prison system for eight weeks. She was trained by the prisoners. Oh cool, and just came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean she's Yeah, we love her to death.
Speaker 4: So I would recommend the like, foster a dog that's like not your type, you know what I mean, Like, if you're not a big dog person, foster a big dog, because then.
Speaker 3: You will be less likely to keep.
Speaker 2: The dog, you know how That makes sense?
Speaker 4: But I also one how I trick myself And we've had like twenty eight twenty nine dogs. We've each had one foster fail, so I think that's pretty good odds. But yeah, I would say, man, but I try to always say, like every time I adopt out a dog, it means I have space to save another dog, so that, you know, like when people are like I just feel bad, I'm like I'm giving them up and I'm like, but no, now you can save another dogs. So you just kind of have to do some like mental work with it. But or if you really want to make sure you don't want to keep the dog, do a puppy, because you'll want that puppy out of your house.
Speaker 2: Puppies are so hard, it's like babies.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: I had a set of puppies last year that broke me. Like I was like, oh, I might have to check myself into and now we have a really hard line of no puppies, no puppies.
Speaker 3: I'm not a puppies anymore. Oh wow.
Speaker 5: But your company for your dog, what you're saying was is dogs dig Us.
Speaker 3: That's yours. Yeah, that's my just oh yeah, dog walking company.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, yeah, dogs dig Us. And that's in La.
Speaker 3: That's just yeah Bright in LA. And I'm pretty specific.
Speaker 4: I basically just cover Hancock Park and up to Bronson Canyon, kind of like three mile radius.
Speaker 1: If you're listening and you're in that that area hit So final question before you go, Yeah, it's been twenty years now since since Go Figure came out. Any chance of a Go Figure reunion or Go Figure two this time it's personal?
Speaker 3: Oh oh, yes, that would be so cool. I would love now. I want to be a Disney mom so bad.
Speaker 4: I'm so out of the business right now, Like I don't have an agent. I have been putting zero effort into it. But that's all I want to do, is like be a Disney mom.
Speaker 3: So that would be cool.
Speaker 4: Maybe if all of us came back, all the figure skaters and all of our kids were playing Hawky together, it.
Speaker 5: Could be about the more all coaches and they're all in the tournament against.
Speaker 2: Each other, right, Well, you keep in touch with anybody?
Speaker 3: No, not really.
Speaker 4: I think it's just because it was such a big age difference. That's actually one of the only projects we didn't. We might have kept in such a little in the beginning.
Speaker 5: But you should reach out on Instagram or something like Yeah, but you know now it's so easy for people to reconnect, Like it would be really cool. I'm sure the fans of the movie would love.
Speaker 3: I would run into Tanya at auditions frequently.
Speaker 4: Uh, everybody great.
Speaker 5: I feel like you guys would all really love just to get to know each other as adults now. And like that's because that that that age gap completely like.
Speaker 3: Starts to disappear.
Speaker 4: And now that I am like kind of in the Disney cult, like I went to Disney.
Speaker 3: This week, We're like, really, I dressed up. I wore a Pluto hat, you know, so I'm like really in it. So it would actually be more exciting.
Speaker 5: Nice.
Speaker 3: I'll probably see you there then, great.
Speaker 1: Okay, a little too many people for me, but I'm sure Sabrino will drag me there at some point.
Speaker 2: It's a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get to know when to go for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for joining us. This is a great finish of the trifecta.
Speaker 3: We love that it was a trifecta. I'll go back and listen to the other two.
Speaker 2: You should you should great, So.
Speaker 3: That's really cool, and I will reach to that's a nice idea.
Speaker 1: You do, and promised me when you do take a picture of all of you together that you send it to us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we should go get lunch. That'd be so cool.
Speaker 5: I feel like you need to know too, though, Like in watching it both this was the first time for both will and I to see go figure, And honestly, I feel like, although your experience was different for me, I didn't see what you were feeling.
Speaker 3: I saw this like bad, oh yeah, totally, that's what your character was.
Speaker 5: For me. It wasn't anything about your size. And so I hope that you know, the fresh eyes of this young generation. I'm hoping that that's what they're really gonna take. And you should know like you did a killer job, oh thy having that kind of character, and it was amazing, like it really was.
Speaker 3: I have one good thank you so much. That's so nice.
Speaker 4: I call her my one fan, this lovely girl on Instagram who reached out to me. I have two fans, one in person who lives on my block and my one Instagram fan, and.
Speaker 3: She's so lovely and she reached out.
Speaker 4: To me and told me how comfort like how special my character was to her because it made her confident, confident in her her like her sexuality, like feeling like as like as like a young lesbian.
Speaker 2: And I there you go, girl.
Speaker 3: I also wasn't playing a lesbian. I was like, this is hilarious to me, but I was so psyched.
Speaker 4: I'm like, great, I guess I was and I didn't know you know, so God, Well.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, and cut please come back. We're gonna we're gonna get everybody. We want to get people together, start doing reunions and see everybody.
Speaker 3: So I love that you guys do. This is really special.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys.
Speaker 2: She was great.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you everybody for joining us to finish off the trifecta of.
Speaker 2: All the hockey players. Basically, we've got go figure.
Speaker 1: We figured we got them go figure exclamation point, very very happy and don't forget.
Speaker 2: You can also join us over there on.
Speaker 1: Our other feed where we recap movies, some of them really really good, some of them really really bad.
Speaker 2: Some of them we just kind of go it was a movie.
Speaker 1: But there's lots of them to do and we're so happy to be doing them with you. So keep with us as we're on this journey. We're finding all the gems and well some of them not so gems, but either way, we'll see you next time.
Speaker 2: Bye,