Speaker 1: Chat GPT gets an eight hundred number. What it's like to get a massage from a robot, plus your tech questions answered, and what you're thankful for in twenty twenty four, what's going on rich damiro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe the tech should be interesting, useful, festive, and fun. Phone lines are open at shriple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email is also open. Just go to rich on tech dot tv and hit contact if you want to call in and tell me what you're thankful for this year when it comes to tech, I will accept that as well. Guests this week Marcia Collier, author of Android Smartphones for Seniors for Dummies. She's going to join us to share tips from her new book, and mind Over Tech founder Jonathan Garner is going to explain how to develop a healthier relationship with technology. In twenty twenty five, Well, welcome to the show. I hope you are having a fantastic holiday season. I know this is one of my favorite times of the year. The house is cozy, everyone's in a good mood, things are fun and decorated, lots of holiday festivities. So I am a big fan of this time of the year and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Hope you are as well. I figured I would talk about, since it is the end of the year, some of my favorite apps of twenty twenty four. So, as you know, I test a lot of apps, I make a lot of changes. I'm often moving between iPhone and Android, and so I'm really looking for apps that are a couple of things simple, essential, new apps. I'm always looking for a better app than the one I have cross platform. Always wants something that works on iPhone and an Android, even though it's not always possible. AI one of the big trends I noticed this year. AI is in just about everything, so it's tough to avoid at this point, and sometimes it's fun to embrace simplifying complexity. That's one of my main things that I want. I want apps that just help me out in life, don't make my life more complicated. And of course all of my apps reflect my priorities, which is staying organized, staying creative, and staying connected. So, without further ado, let me go through some of the apps that are not only on my home screen but also just on my phone in general. And again a lot of these come from trial and error. I've tried so many apps and these are the apps that I kind of go back to. So first up Obsidian. So you've probably heard me talk about all of the note taking apps that I've tried over the years. This year I was using Notion a lot, and then I finally decided to go back to Obsidian when they introduce their web Clipper. And this is a tool that lets you clip web pages and save them into your notes and so I like that it's nice and clean. It gives me that web page saved forever. And what I like about this app is it's basically completely free if you want it to be. So, whether you're sinking it on iPhone or Android, it's all yours. All the information resides on your system, and it could be free forever. They do offer sync if you want to sink from your computer to your phone and make it easy. They do offer a paid option for that, but you can do it completely free as well. So I've really grown fond of Obsidian. My wife saw my Obsidian yesterday or a couple of days ago, and she looked at us. She goes, wow, you're so organized. I was like, well, yeah, you know, I try all right. This is a new one that I'm testing out for the new year. You've heard of Duo Lingo, but this one's called Speak and it's a new way to learn language with the help of AI. So it basically listens to you talk and it will talk back to you and it's all through AI. So I'm looking forward to learning Spanish through this app this year. Rosebud, this is one of my new favorites. This is a journaling app, but it's also powered by AI. Just did a story with the folks that created it and interviewed them and I got to say I use this app exactly once, and I was like, this is incredible. And so you write in it gives you questions you write in your journals, you know your answers to those, and then it sort of acts like a little mini therapist and it kind of analyzes what you're writing and it's like, hey, rich, we noticed that you really value you know this, this, and this, and we feel like what you did today goes back to what you mentioned a week ago. So the more you use this, the smarter it gets about you. And I know it's a little scary when it comes to privacy. And I asked the guys that I said, hey, is this stuff encrypted? Like, who's looking at this? They said it all it's all private. So Rosebud is a really cool AI journaling app that I'm just gonna I think I'm hopefully going to be a better person in twenty twenty five thanks to it. I feel like that's like what this thing will do for me. Google Photos, I mean this I've been using forever. You know, I love it. If you listen to me. I think what's neat about Google Photos is just puts everything in one place. It's cross platform. It's not as confusing as iCloud. iCloud. People love it and they use it because it's the default on iPhone. But the problem is it's very confusing and it's very kind of like one side platform. Like the whole point of iPhoto or of iCloud and iphotos is really just to get you into the Apple ecosystem and make it so sticky that you can never leave, and they've done a very good job with that. Because photos is something that everyone has, So I like Google Photos because it works across every platform. It works everywhere, and especially now with the Ai photo search, finding my old photos is just so easy. It's unbelievable. It's scary how good it is at finding old stuff, which is a couple of keywords. Microsoft to Do. You know, I struggle with my to do list, but Microsoft to Do is the one I continue to use. And the reason I like it over every other to do list out there is that it's free, completely free, and you can add files to your to do up to your to do entries, so if there's a file that you need to do something with, you can just drag it into your entry and deal with it as well. Google Calendar simple, I mean, as you can see, I do love my Google products. Google Calendar again, cross platform. I live inside this app. It is everything to me and I use it all the time. Chat GPT. You know, I was a big fan of Claude. I still am. I still think Claude is better at the English language, but I do think Chatchibt is really good at sort of being a jack of all trades, so not only can it do stuff, and it just keeps getting better with new options and features. On a daily basis, I do pay for it, but it can also make images, it can write code, It could just do everything that you throw at it. It may not be the best at everything, but it's good at a lot of stuff, especially with web search and things like that. So I have kind of gone all in on Chat GBT and it just continues to impress me with how natural and easy it is to sort of adapt to my needs. Google Gemini is great. This is Google's version of AI, and I find that it's it's good, it's smart, it's clever. It tells you how it's thinking, which is a new feature which is really wild. But I feel like overall, Chat GBT is just kind of easier. But Google Gemini is great when you want sort of the latest information on a topic, It's always up to date. It's kind of like Google, but the AI version of it. All Right, Now, these two apps I rely on on a daily basis. It's called email Me, and it's both on iOS and Android. It's the same thing, different developers. So I have this where you can tap this and anything you're thinking, you can just email to yourself very quickly, and so I absolutely love these apps. I use them all day, every day, and it's just so much easier than sort of writing things in a notepad or a to do list, because my email inbox or my email inbox is my to do list, so I kind of put everything in there and then triage it later when I have the time for social media. Instagram and X continue to be not so much, but really Instagram is the place I go to the most when it comes to the short posts like X and Blue Sky. Of course, everyone's been hopping back and forth. X still feels more active than Blue Sky, but I know a lot of people are trying to make Blue Sky a thing, so we'll see what happens there. Mosey, this is a new app. This is a social app that's more private than typical social media apps. And what's unique about this app is that it's only your real friends that are in your address book, and so you can share your travel plans. And I've always had this idea and this kind of image in my head of here I am, I landed in Seattle. Who wants to have dinner with me in Seattle tonight, and instead of texting your entire address book, this would just show that you're in Seattle and people would say, oh, hey, I'm Riches friend. Let me hey, rich I'm here in Seattle. Let's go have dinner. So that's a really cool new app. Still testing it out, kind of waiting into that one. Moz I Mosey Whisper Memos. Again, you've probably heard me talk about this. Absolutely one percent game changing. This lets you record voice notes from your wrist on the Apple Watch. It's iOS only, Apple Watch only, iPhone only, so that's the only downside of emailed the developer. I said, please bring this to Android. We need it on Android. But I love this because I can just record a note for my wrist. It's transcribed and sent to my inbox, and it's just so fantastic. I absolutely love it all right, going down the list here, Popple popl This is what I use for my digital business cards. A lot of people don't have physical business cards anymore. This just gives you a QR code. People can scan it get your info really really easy. Do like that Raindrop dot io. This is not so much handy on my phone, but on my computer. I use it, and it's just a great app for organizing and saving your bookmarks. You probably use Chrome or whatever your browser is to organize your bookmarks, but Raindrop just takes it a little bit further because it helps you organize them as well. So I really like that one. And then fly Finn talking about organizing stuff, I really like this for tracking my tax deductible expenses. So you know, I have a couple of different jobs. A lot of that stuff is freelance, and so I like keeping track of all my expenses. And this uses AI to say, like, hey, we noticed that you made a purchase at office depot. We're going to automatically assume that that's a business expense unless you tell us otherwise, and it automatically categorizes everything as well. There is a yearly fee associated with it, but I think it's well worth that fee. All right, coming up, I'll tell you some more of these when we get back from the break. But eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I'm also talking about what people are thankful for today. Nico in Nicaragua, ex California resident says, I'm thankful for all the free info you share. Thank you Nico eight eight to eight rich one o one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one links to all those apps on my website rich on tech dot tv. More of your questions after this, Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Email is also an option. Just go to Richontech dot tv, hit contact, and be sure to follow me on social media. I am at rich on Tech posted my holiday card to you and thank you for all of the amazing responses that you wrote on there. I was just reading through them and it's it's pretty pretty amazing talking about tech news. Just how many people you can affect, and I do appreciate that. Speaking of what people are thankful for, I asked you on my Instagram to say what you're thankful for in technology, and Jim in Arizona says, I'm thankful for FaceTime so I can keep in touch with family living in different states. So before the break, I was talking about some of the apps that I really enjoy on my phone. I'm just going to contin you, because I do have a lot of them, and I think they're very useful. I've got these all linked up on the website rich on tech dot tv. But another app that I really like this year is called Rocket Money. This used to be called True Bill, and this gives you a snapshot of all of your recurring bills and your spending habits. And it's completely free. They do have a paid upgrade if you want. I don't really see a need for the paid upgrade, but the free app does great things. You connect all of your accounts and it kind of tells you, like there's a calendar that shows you all of your bills and when they're happening, and I really like that, and also how much you're spending, so you can tap Starbucks and see how much you've spent there. We were going through the other night and it's like, all right, how much do you think we spent here? How much do you think we spent there? And I knew Amazon was going to be the most, and sure enough it was, and then something like Starbucks actually wasn't that much. I'm not a big Starbucks, like, I don't go there all the time, and so I was like kind of surprised how little I spent there throughout the year. Another mon money app is called Monarch Money. This is a great Remember Mint went out of business, that was a fantastic app for tracking your net worth. Monarch Money sort of fills that gap and it's kind of like Rocket Money as well. But it has a great net worth feature. So you can put all of your accounts in one place. You can put your cars, you can put your house if you have multiple cars, you can put your four oh one K, you can put every account that you have. You link it up to this Monarch Money and then it will show you, you know, your net worth, which is kind of like I guess that's everything you have minus what you owe. So if you have debt, credit cards, that kind of stuff, it'll take it all out and it'll show you like how much you have. And it's just a great app. It really does a nice job. The only downside is it does have a yearly fee, which I get it. It's a smaller developer, so they got to make money somehow, and there's no ads or things like that. So you know, with Mint, they were making money on the back end by collecting your data and of course, selling that against advertising or whatever marketing monarch money is just more like this is you. We're gonna charge you, but you're gonna have a great app. All right, this photo, this app if you put a if you put one app on your phone, this is it. No matter what kind of smartphone you have. It's called Radiant Photo. And before you post anything to social media, just put the photo through this app. Takes one tap and it makes it look better. He uses AI. It's incredible. As far as I can tell. It's free. I've never paid for it and it works really well. Radiant Photo. Got to give a shout out to my pal Jefferson Graham, who does all the photo stuff. He was the one that recommended that to me, and it's great. Canva this is to me. If you remember print shop back in the day, this is the modern version of print shop. So I do all my Instagram posts now, I'm not an expert in design, and you can definitely tell that if you follow me on Instagram you see my helpful posts. They are nothing special, but they get the information across and I use I use Canva to do that, and to be honest, I'm doing these very quickly. You'd be surprised how long it takes to make one of those little posts on Canva. And I get it. The influencers, they do a great job. They're beautiful. But the thing is the the amount of time it takes them to make those is a lot. And I just don't have all that time, so I just want to get the information out, so I'll just do it on Canva quickly. Award Wallet, I love this app. I put all my It just automatically scans my Gmail and finds every reservation I make and puts it into one giant timeline. I love it, whether it's a restaurant, hotel, no matter what. Award Wallet is incredible for that upside. I've talked about this, save money, get cash back on gas and groceries. I love it. I've gotten like a couple hundred dollars back through this app. It's really really cool. Upside. If you're in La, sick of Citizen LA. I don't know how you pronounce this app, but it's La It nine one one La at nine one one. It's kind of like Citizen but just for La. All the police activity in your area. You can see what's happening, watch duty very similar, but for wildfire activity in your area. It's called watch Duty. Libby also one of my favorites for free books I can read on my Kindle. Flighty. If you're flying, Flighty is fantastic for all of your flight details in one place. It is the best flight tracking app out there. It is incredible. It's iOS only, unfortunately, but it's really really incredible. Cap Cut is what I use to edit videos on the go on my phone. Caffeine if you have an Android. Caffeine is excellent. If you want to keep your screen awake, like maybe you're making a recipe or something. One tap Caffeine will keep it awake for fifteen minutes, twenty minutes, thirty minutes. It's so great if you're reading something, don't want your screen to go dark. Zero Cam this is what I'm just kind of playing with. But this is a camera app that uses no AI, so just takes a picture, doesn't use any AI to affect it. Kind of the opposite of the other one I told you about, the Radiant Photo and then Ways absolutely love Ways. For one feature, it's called time to Leave, So if I need to be somewhere at six pm, I pop it into ways. It says leave later, and you can see exactly what time you need to leave your place to get there on time at six pm. Again, all of these apps linked up on my website rich On tech dot TV eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming back, We'll take a call and have more of what you are thankful for here on rich On Tech. Let's go to Diana in Torrance, California. Diana, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Hi Realich, thank you for taking my call. I use a Mac and Apple devices, and I was wondering is there any possible kind of either software app or hardware device that would allow.
Speaker 3: Me to connect to my home Wi.
Speaker 2: Fi network when I'm out of range of the home Life Fine network or in a remote location.
Speaker 1: What do you mean by connect to your home Wi Fi network? You want to tap into your your internet or you want to tap into your computer at home? Like what do you want to do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I want to be able to connect to the Wi Fi as if I were at home. Like let's say, if I have my Mac with me and I'd like to connect to my home Wi Fi from like a remote location.
Speaker 1: Okay, there actually is a startup that's doing this, and I'm trying to find the Okay, I think here it is. So it's interesting what you're talking about. There's not a way to do it easily, and what you're saying like, you can't really you can connect your home network from AFAR using something like a team viewer or you know, remote file sharing or remote desktop or Chrome has a version of that, but that'll just get you into your computer network. If you want to connect to your Wi Fi. There's actually a company that's working on this called clever Phi c L e v er Fi, and so what they're doing is they are coming up with a system that kind of lets you log into your home network using your Wi Fi from anywhere you are. It's really like I couldn't even understand when these people were telling me, like what this means. But that's the company is clever Fi. And I'm not going to try to even explain it because I don't even really understand. But the idea is that if you're a hotel or a you know, coffee place, whatever, you would sign up with this clever Fi software and then when you get to that hotel somehow you can just log in with your credentials from home. I don't know, it's weird, but it's that's kind of what you're talking about. And I think that's the company that's working on it. But again, this all depends on the place enabling this kind of software. So the company is Cleverfi dot com. It's a startup. I think it's out of Italy, but they were working on that. Now. When it comes to just kind of accessing your computer from outside of your home, which many people might want to be able to do, there is software that can do this. Chrome Remote Desktop is probably the easiest. It's free from Google and you just install it on your computer and then you can share the screen, access files, whatever. Apple also has something called screen sharing that's built in. I've been using this at home. You just turn it on in your computer and when you go to your network from other computers, you can see your Mac on that network. So that's easy. And then of course there's software like Teamviewer. Team Viewer is free sort of remote connectivity software and that will allow you to do the same thing. Thanks for the question, Diana there in Torrance. Hope you're having a great holiday season. Coming up later on the show, if you're into Android, We've got Marcia Collier. She wrote a new book called Androids Smartphones for Seniors for Dummies. I've got a copy of it right here, and reminds me a lot of the book that I wrote about the iPhone. I wrote one hundred and one Handy Tech Tips for the iPhone. Now I self published that book. But this is through the dummies. You know you've seen those dummies books, right, But it looks like you know, same thing. I did all little screens shots and all the circles around things to show you where stuff is no easy feat when you're writing a how to book for for phones, there's a lot that goes into that because there's just so much that you got to think about. Let's see here. Let's go to Spencer in Charlotte, North Carolina. Spencer, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: How are you doing, Rich?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great? What's can I help you with?
Speaker 5: I have a system that I built based on Asus Toughs Gaming X five seventy plus WiFi motherboard.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's floaded with loaded with Windows ten.
Speaker 6: Now I want to upgrade, but Windows says that I have to have TPM turned on and I have to have U e F.
Speaker 4: I turned on. Yes, but when I went to the bias and.
Speaker 6: Turn those on, it refuses to boot.
Speaker 7: Oh am, I stuck.
Speaker 6: I don't want to have to reload the I have about one hundred programs on here.
Speaker 3: I'd have to go fishing for keys or is there any way I can.
Speaker 6: Do this without having to reformat the hard drive because then I'd have.
Speaker 5: To buy the Windows eleven instead of getting it free.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, No, So, yeah, you're right, there are some requirements for Windows eleven on these systems. It sounds like your system. Did you build this yourself?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, so it sounds like to me that you've got the requirements, and you know because you built this thing that you have these things that you need. It's basically the security of the system. It's like it's kind of at the base level of the system, this security chip that it requires. It's kind of the same thing with Apple too. They did the same thing on their computers, but it's you know, it's like base level security, and they want you to have that on your system to be able to install Windows eleven moving forward, just for a lot of reasons. So you're saying you have that on your system. Correct.
Speaker 5: I have it on the system, but when I turn it on, it no longer boots.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well that's.
Speaker 6: Oh apparently it won't boost Windows tan.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so that's interesting. So yeah, that's a problem.
Speaker 7: Then.
Speaker 1: Now there are some blog posts about forcing the Windows eleven upgrade. Have you checked that or tried that?
Speaker 2: Uh? No?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So I'm looking at howtogeek dot com and this is, uh, you know, how to force the Windows eleven update. Now, this is from last year, so I don't know how current it is, but this is gonna This says that you can force this. Okay, yeah, you can bypass. I'm just reading through this. It looks like it looks like you'll probably be able to do it using this guide if you. The problem is you got to download this Windows eleven Installation Assistant, which let's see if they still even have that available, because this was from a y or ago. Looks like they do, so you might do that.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: Is your computer fully updated?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the bias is updated.
Speaker 7: I've got everything up to.
Speaker 1: One bias beyond.
Speaker 5: Requirements from Windows eleven.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't they'll.
Speaker 8: Have another window to load, but I think.
Speaker 5: The bias system that I got in there right now is good to go.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna link this up on the website on the show notes. This this how to geek article because it actually it looks like it brings you to a pretty good help page for Windows that will help you download this Windows eleven Installation Assistant, and then if you don't want that, you can also create a Windows eleven Installation media and then you can download a disk image as well. So this kind of gives you all the tools that might help you get that on there. It sounds like you know what you're doing, so I think that these would be thing that you would be able to figure out if you're going through the standard you know, Windows eleven update through your Windows ten. It may not allow you to do that because, like you said, these things are not turned on. Once you turn it on in the bios, it's not booting up, so it's signaling to the Windows eleven Assistant that hey, this computer is not supported. And we've also seen some articles come out in recent weeks that say you can force this on more computers, although Microsoft ended up coming out and saying no, no, we didn't say that. So I'll link these up on the website rich on Tech dot tv so that you can get an idea of some of these things that you might be able to work around. But yeah, you've got about a year to figure this out, so you've got some time. And of course we know Windows eleven they're gonna Windows ten is going to stop being supported as of October of twenty twenty five. But if you want to keep it for that extra year, and Spencer, maybe you just want to do this, you can pay an extra thirty dollars to keep it for one more year past that deadline, and they will give you all those security updates. Good question, eighty to eight. Thanks for the call. Eighty to eight. Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, I've got a whole bunch of whole bunch of stuff to talk about, but I'll talk about some chat GBT things. They've got a couple of new things this week, including making search free and there's an eight hundred number to call chat GBT. I'll explain coming up next. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one the website for the show richon tech dot TV. Once you go there, you can get the show notes by hitting the light bulb, or it just might be on the homepage. This is episode one oh two one o two. There you go reading what you submitted to me as what you're thankful for for the tech world, Robin in Anaheim says she is thankful for my ring peephole camera, my dash cam, and my smart watch. Those are three solid things to be thankful for. And this week, did you know you can call chat GPT. I know it sounds silly, and there's been a lot of chatchybt news lately because they've been doing this like twelve Days of Christmas thing or something similar to that, and so every day they've been like releasing new features and so there's been a lot of stuff with chat GBT. But this is an eight hundred number. It's literally one eight hundred chat GPT. So you can dial that phone number from any phone and it will bring you to their AI assistant and you can ask a question. You get up to fifteen minutes for free each month, because you know they want to make sure everyone can use this. And I thought this was interesting because it sounds silly and it's like, Okay, well don't most people have an app to use chatch ebt through? Well, not everyone. And I love the idea that now this is available through any phone. So you know, you've got someone elderly, you've got a senior in your life, you've got someone that maybe doesn't have a computer, doesn't you know, use a smartphone, they can just call this number and talk to AI. And I think especially for some of the uh, you know, more elder folks out there that may not have a lot of experience with AI to be able to ask about something like in their childhood or history or you know, it's just the amount of information and knowledge that AI has that they can tap into from a traditional phone call. It's pretty wild. So I think this is kind of cool and it reminds me. I was reading The Verge. They have a newsletter called the Installer, and they they kind of reminded me of two other phone numbers back in the day Google. Remember Google had their own eight hundred number for four one one. It was like one eight hundred Google four one one. I think it was yeah, Google four one one and you could literally dial that. And remember back in the day, four one one used to cost money to get a phone number. Like you would dial that and at the end of the month you'd see your phone bill and be like, oh, I called four one one seven times. It's like you know, at one point, I think it was like a dollar each time you called or something. And remember, I mean this is going way back. Oh wow, oh wow, my Google AI is is activated.
Speaker 7: There.
Speaker 1: Back in the day, an operator, like a human being used to answer four one one. I mean, I just I kind of forgot about that until just now. You would call and be like hey, they'd be like what city and what city enlisting or somehow. They'd answer the phone and you would say, uh, you know Montclair, New Jersey, the AMC theater or whatever movie theater it was back then, and they would be like, Okay, hold on, here's your number, let me connect you. And you like this stuff just sounds like why would you ever need that now? But sure enough we went through a whole phase with that. And remember this one seven seven seven film. Remember you would call a phone number to get the movie times. Hello and welcome to moviefone press one for whatever, and you know that was that was a thing that went on for a while. Oh what's that? Oh I don't remember that one. Oh you dial for time? Oh okay, Adam. Adam's on the board today. He's telling me that that wasn't over the air, right, you're just talking to me, okay. And you can't hear him, but I can. He's the voices in my head. He said, you would dial popcorn for the time. I have not heard of that one. Get out of here, Popcorn. Yeah, kqed used to be able to call popcorn and get the time. Okay. That was apparently in northern California that was based there.
Speaker 7: There you go.
Speaker 1: Well, I think anyone could dial it, but maybe there you go the time at the tone, the time is currently eleven fifty three. Whatever it was. We've come a long way, baby, that's for sure. Okay, So you got the one eight hundred chat GBT. The other thing chat GBT did this week is they made their search, their web search, their real time web search, free for all users. Now this one kind of annoyed me because I paid twenty bucks a month for open Ai for a chat GBT for this feature and then they made it free. My kid was using chat GBT and he's like, oh, Dad, I can search the web. Now. I'm like, wait, what are you on my account? He said, no, it's free for everyone, so what So yeah, So now on chat GBT, if you go there, you'll notice in the search bar there's a little globe icon and if you tap that, it's going to bring you it's going to kind of search the real time web for information, which is really cool because it's great for travel, it's great for a lot of things that require real time data. So you can literally anything that's in the news, say give me an update on bitcoin whatever, and it will. And if you tap that little globe, it will give you the latest data on bitcoin based on the articles. And so right now it's telling me literally as of this moment, exactly what it's trading at, how much its surpassed, and all the different things that has contributed to this. I mean, that's pretty incredible. And if you just had regular chat GBT without the web, it would just give you kind of what I call like a book report on bitcoin. It wouldn't give you that real time information. Uh, let's see, Lido writes in Hey, Rich, I remember an episode of KTLA where you described how to reset instagram suggested content to a factory setting. I haven't been liking the suggestions on my account lately and would love a fresh start. Can you remind me how to do this? Yes, Lido. The worst words in the tech language are rolling out, and when I mentioned something is rolling out, that means it is not available to everyone at the same time. So I've been checking for this feature on a daily basis because I can't stand the recommendations I'm getting on Instagram right now. But they're going to let you do a master reset of your recommendations, which I think every single app should have this. I think your music app should have this. I think your social media apps should have this, your fitness apps. Every app should just offer you a master reset switch. And maybe it's locked behind like a pin or something so that you don't mistakenly do it. But sometimes you just want a fresh start. Like maybe you're listening to holiday music on whatever music app you're using, and in January, all of a sudden, those songs come up. Now, I feel like the music app should be smart enough to say, okay, let's not give them holiday songs in January, but you never know. So this feature, if you want to check for it, you tap your profile on Instagram and then you go into the upper right hand corner the three little dots or the three little lines that are the menu, and then you scroll down to where it says content preferences and you tap in there and you're going to see all this stuff interested, not interested, hidden words, sensitive content, political content, hide suggested, reduced by fact checking in. There will be a new option called reset, and it will be there any day. I don't have it yet on any of my devices, but that's where it's going to be.
Speaker 7: Leado.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait for that fresh start. Hopefully this comes by the beginning of the year. Eighty to eight Rich one O one rich on tech dot tv coming up more of your calls and questions and what you're thankful for. Right here, Welcome back to rich on tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one, the website for the show richon tech dot TV. There you can watch my TV segments that I do for KTLA Television here in Los Angeles and also assorted TV stations around the US, so you can watch them all right there. I asked you on Instagram at rich on Tech what you're thankful for, got a lot of responses. Alfonso and La Puente said, my Galaxy Watch six. I've made healthier choices as a result. I do think that the smart watches do that. I think they make you more aware of how many, you know, steps you're taking, how many minutes you're getting all that good stuff. So I'm glad you liked that. And by the way, it took me a couple of tries, but I did dial the time and temperature and apparently.
Speaker 9: Imp cure is coming up after this.
Speaker 1: So apparently the phone number is still working. But it's uh, it's it's like it says the time and temperature is coming up after this, but then there's like an AD, a long AD, and then it does the time temperature. So I think someone bought that, and I don't did it have an AD back in the day. Probably not, probably just had no just had the time. So anyway, but it didn't work for different area codes except for the San Francisco area code, so I guess that was more of a regional thing. I guess. Let's see, let's go to Brenda in Orange County. Welcome to the holiday party.
Speaker 7: Hi rich, Yeah, Hi, I'm in much need of your advice. I don't understand much tech. I need to know if I bought the right TV yesterday.
Speaker 1: Okay, my.
Speaker 7: Old RCA TV quit working.
Speaker 1: R How old was it?
Speaker 7: It was about fifteen years old?
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, I think you got your money's worth on that one.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, it was before you know, the smart TVs existed. I just watched local channels over the air broadcast with my indoor rabbit ears antenna my TV.
Speaker 1: How much does that costs? How much they charge you for that?
Speaker 7: Nothing?
Speaker 1: I was just kidding, that was a trick question.
Speaker 7: Oh okay, I thought what Okay, Now I don't have internet in my home or Wi Fi, my smart I'm on. I'm on my son in law's AT and T family plan. Okay, so I can I can browse the internet, you know, I paid him for the phone, and I can order online if I wanted to. But I don't now the TV I bought yesterday. I assume it was a hundred and twenty vote. It's an it's a smart TV. It's an LG U h D Okay, and you know, but I don't need all those extras at this time.
Speaker 2: Maybe in the future.
Speaker 7: So will this smart TV just work by just plugging it, plugging it in and playing the local channels?
Speaker 1: Typically? Yes, it depends on the model. So I'm assuming there is an RC like a coax jack on the back for the antenna. Have you checked.
Speaker 7: I have an open Oh I haven't opened the box.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's the actual model number of the TV?
Speaker 2: Do you have that?
Speaker 7: Okay? On the front of the TV it says four to three to seven zero mm.
Speaker 1: That's it. Forty three okay, So here it is. So we've got this and we're just this is so this does have LG's smart system, which is called web OS, so it is on there. But all we're looking for is, let's see the inputs here, connector types. Let's see here. I mean, I would assume every TV has a jack on the back to connect this antenna, but you never know, you know, it could be that it doesn't let me see uh here, I'm looking trying to find the specs that actually shows me the back of the TV. If you can plug in an antenna on this thing. Okay, I see the back and it interesting. I'm gonna have to I gotta find the specs on here. I'm trying to find the exact Okay, let's see. I would assume that it has a way to plug in the antenna. Let's see. Okay, TV tuner. Yes, it does have a TV tuner, so you are good to go. And so you would just plug in that antenna and you can use it as a regular TV. Now what I would do for the first time you set this up. Do you have the hotspot feature on your phone or no?
Speaker 7: I do, but I don't understand it. Okay, I have a friend that's going to do V the hookup. He's an IT tech, but he don't even have a TV.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, he's one of those.
Speaker 7: He just uses his laptop.
Speaker 1: Okay. Well he's all streaming and all that good stuff. So well, okay, so if he's an IT person, he knows how to activate the hotspot what I would do, and he'll do this, he'll know how to do that, or they'll know how to dis services. They'll know how to do this. But you basically, I would connect this TV to your phone's hotspot the first time, just to get the software up to date on this phone. And it also may download information for the channels. It may download a program guide or just whatever some and and you know, it's some information to go along with those channels. So I would do that the first time, but then I would make sure he turns off the either so I would either turn off the Wi Fi on the TV, or you can just toggle the hot spot off on your phone so that your TV is not always tapping into it. But if you want it to, you can have the TV tap into it just by turning on the hot spot on your phone or turning the Wi Fi on your TV on. I know that sounds very complicated. You don't need any of that stuff. If you don't want to do anything on the web, just use the channels, tune them in. You're fine, You'll be okay, okay.
Speaker 7: So I really don't have to do the connect to the hot the hot spot.
Speaker 1: I I would probably just to get the software on the TV up to date. There might be some features or some bug fixes or whatever. You don't have to do that. It's optional, but it may require that on setup. It may it may ask you to do that when you set it up. There may be a way to bypass it, but your friend who's the it guy, they are going to know how to do that. If it says like, hey, you have to connect to internet, there may be a way to bypass and say, hey, just set this up without Internet. But I probably do it just to make sure my TV is up to date and then I disconnect it.
Speaker 7: Okay, so he's okay to activate that connected to my phone hot spot to update the software on TV.
Speaker 1: Correct if if he wants to do that, you don't have to. But I think most TVs are assuming that you're connecting to a Wi Fi connection upon startup, so you know they're just because they're all smart TV. So if there may be an option that says on that TV screen like bypass this for now, typically there is you would just bypass all that. If you just want to go to the tuner and you plug in your antenna, you do a scan of the channels. It's gonna remember the channel numbers and the ones you get and that's it. Beyond your merry way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh, thank you so much. Rich. I I was afraid that something that made and why find in the future I may plan to you know, to set that up if I want to do those streamings and stuff. I did buy a searge protector strip and but I don't know, maybe I didn't buy the most the highest volt or jewels that I should have. The one I got it said nine hundred jewels. But I looked online earlier today and it kind of come and maybe a TV needs at least a thousand jewels. Do you know anything about that?
Speaker 1: I mean not really, but uh, I would say, you're probably gonna be fine. I don't even plug my stuff into a protector, so I think they'll be okay, Okay, I think I think that. Uh yeah, I'd have to do some research on that to see what what you need for it. I'm looking at this nine hundred let's see. Yeah, I'd have to see like what that's good for. I'll do some research and see and I'll mention on there as well.
Speaker 7: All Right, my home is one hundred and twenty volts, and I presume that that TV is one hundred and.
Speaker 1: Twenty volt, right, that's the standard AC in the US. Yes, so that should be fine.
Speaker 7: And the search protector for some reading that says it says use only with one hundred and twenty vote AC power, and then down at the bottom of the package it says ratings one five V.
Speaker 4: I'm confused.
Speaker 7: I don't understand. I don't want to be playing something.
Speaker 1: No, you'll be fine. I wouldn't unless you bought this thing in Europe. You're not really gonna have to worry about that. And most Yeah, everything standardized here in the US, so I think you'll be okay, Brenda, thanks for the call. Do appreciate it. Uh, you're gonna love the new TV. I mean, fifteen years of the old one compared to the new one. I think you're gonna You're gonna be a lot happier with that, So thanks for the call. Appreciated. Eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Speaking of TVs, Amazon added some new accessibility features to their Fire TV. So Amazon Fire TV, after a software update, now has a dual audio function, so users with a compatible as HA enabled here aid can now listen to that hearing aid listen to the audio from the fireTV on their hearing aid, but also the audio can go through the TV speakers, so that means that you can have hearing aids be listening to the programming and someone you're sitting with who doesn't have hearing aids can listen to the programming through the speakers on the TV, so now it's more of a shared viewing experience versus one or the other. So that's a new feature on the Amazon firetvs. They've also expanded some of the support for hearing aids. Looks like it's mostly on the TV sets and the cube, not necessarily the fireTV sticks, so just check if you're hearing aid didn't work with the fireTV before, it may work with it now. And finally, they also put some looks like tactile raised dots on the fireTV packaging so blind and low vision users can easily access set up information. So Amazon doing a couple things for accessibility always a good thing to make products more inclusive. Eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one website for the show Richontech dot TV coming up. Got a question about saving money on a cable bill and finding where to watch a show. We'll talk about that plus more of what you are thankful for right here on rich on Tech talking about things people are thankful for. You submitted these on my Instagram at rich On Tech, Yvonne in El Centro, California said, I'm grateful for One Note. I use it as a manual and use it every day. Yeah, one Note. I was talking about Obsidian earlier. One Note is pretty much very similar to that. The only problem I have with One Note. And I think it's a great, great program, and it's the only problem I have with it. And you can use it for free if you use your included you know, storage space from micros. But the only problem I have with it is the infinite canvas. I'm not a fan of that because it's like you can paste anything anywhere in one note, which I'm sure a lot of people that use it like that. For me, I'm too much of a neat freak. I like everything aligned, and so it's like I can't use it because of that reason. And also there's no real print option for some reason. There is, but it's like it prints all over the page, like it's not format it anyway. Again, I'm too much of a neat freak. So I need the Obsidian, I need the order. I need order in my note keeping app all right. Earlier, we had a caller that asked about jewels and a surge protector. And I had to read up on this a little bit, and so basically jewels are basically how much energy a surge protector can absorb. So it's kind of like a buffer between you, your electronics and a surge that comes in. So if there's like an electrical storm or something or whatever happens and a surge of electricity comes through your your power outlets, these jewels would kind of absorb that searche So the more jewels you have, I guess, the more can absorb. So a thousand basic protections small electronics like lamps and phone chargers. A thousand up to two thousand good for home office setups like computers, monitors, printers. Over two thousand is for high end electronics like a gaming PC, home theater, something like that. So I would probably say for a TV, you probably need a thousand to two thousand. So that nine hundred that she had probably wasn't very good. But that's the deal with search protectors. I don't even know if I have a search protector on my stuff. I think I need to look into that. Maybe, yeah, but I've never really had a problem knock on wood in all these years, but I guess it's probably a good idea to have it. And they do wear out apparently over time, so if you have one that's really old, maybe get a new one. So think about that. All right, let's see here, let's go to Kirk in is it Atlanto, Lano, California. Kirk, Welcome to the show. What's up?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, the question is I had taken some pictures on a microscope about four years ago, and I ran them through an app. I was searching for doing some research on parasites, and I ran pictures through an app called parasite ie on through my Chromebook. So I just had a small Chromebook that I used with with an email address, and I'm trying to retrieve the pictures but I'm not sure exactly how to do that. The email is still active, but the phone I'm having trouble getting into the I'm having trouble getting into the email account because the phone that I had that number is out to read and I got a new phone. And when I got the new phone, I set up a typical email because that email was basically just for the parasite ideas, and so I'm having trouble getting ratification.
Speaker 1: So you've got you've you've got these pictures somehow stored in your Google account, but you can't access the Google account.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so they're on a jpeg.
Speaker 7: Got it?
Speaker 6: And I was wondering if if the camera that I used for my microscope would possibly have a connection to the jpeg picture because it was do they identify the camera?
Speaker 1: You still have the camera?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: Can you connect it to your computer with USB?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's how it doesn't take it's yeah, that's how. That's the only way you can take a picture is with USB. Doesn't have a cards or anything.
Speaker 7: It's just the camera.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so so your computer acts as the recording device, like the computer captures the photo.
Speaker 6: Right, and then the camera is just the camera and the.
Speaker 1: Computer is acting as right right, the computers that is where everything is happening. Okay, So how can I help you? You're trying to figure out how to get into your Gmail account.
Speaker 6: That would help because then I'd be able to go with curse that idea and just pull up pull it all from there because I have an account. I'm lot getting there.
Speaker 1: Oh god, but you can't. But you don't know that one either. You can't get in there either, right.
Speaker 6: Because I don't know the g You can't get in the Gmail.
Speaker 1: Got it all?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Well, Google has a help page that will will help will kind of guide you through the process of recovering your account. And a lot of people they set up these phone numbers as the account recovery and then they get rid of the phone or they get rid of the phone number. So you have to go to this special Google account recovery page and it's at account dot Google dot com, slash sign in, slash recovery. And before you do that, I'm going to link up these pages on the on my show notes read through. You want to use familiar device and location. You want to use, you know, an email connected to your account. So there's a lot of things that Google says to do to make sure you get this right. This is rich on Tech mentioning what you're thankful for. I asked you on Instagram at rich on Tech, what are you thankful for in the tech world? And Daniel in Granada Hills said he is thankful for slick Deals. Daniel, you're speaking my language. I check slickdeals dot net every single day of my life. And if there is a deal out there. I'm actually looking at these the deal on the front page, just for these little cookies that I actually bought off this well during the prime season Prime Day they had all these like things on sale. I ordered like a giant box of like baked lays, like you know, chips, like a whole bunch of My wife's like what is this? Are you bringing these to the kids school? I'm like, no, these are just for us. And then these like little they're called rip van I don't know what rip van winkle. What are they called rip van wafers? These are little wafers you eat like cookie that you eat with your coffee. It's like a I don't know, it's good anyway. So I have a whole box of those from slick Deals. Slick deals dot net great place to find deals. If there is a deal on the internet, they have it all right Now. On the show, welcoming Marcia Collier, author of Androids Smartphones for Seniors for Dummies, brand new book Heating up the Charts on Amazon. Marcia, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 8: Hi, it's so great to talk to you. Rich. Yeah, it's the second edition. There's a first edition that Amazon's still trying to push. But I saw that this is the second edition. Yeah, it led me to the first and it said it did say there's a newer version. So I was like, okay, good because you know, you can still buy the first, but the second edition is the one that's most up to date. So, Marcia, you've been on the show before talking about ebays, you've written books before, you've written how to guides. What made you want to tackle Android, especially for seniors. Well, you know, this is, as I said, the second edition, and I write in the for Dummy series over forty books, seniors feel left out. Seniors often don't want to ask questions of their children. They don't want to feel stupid. Let's just say that they don't want to hear all the fluff you just mentioned slick deals. There's a whole thing in the book about websites like slick Deals, and I mentioned a bunch of others, you know, like Woot and Bradsteals and all that. Yeah, and they don't know about those things. So I try to bring the information that is not common knowledge. For example, an unlocked phone. What is an unlocked phone?
Speaker 7: And I don't know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Well, if you look in the book, it'll explain to you why and why an unlocked phone is the best phone for you.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I would agree with that. It's funny you said the thing about that I didn't want to ask you because you have no idea how many times my family members will make a major tech decision. And I'm like, wait, why don't you ask me? I could have told you, right, I didn't want to ask you. I didn't want to bother you. You can bother me. I do a radio show every week. People bother me. I get emails every day. People bother me. It's not bothering, it's what I do. I'm trying to help and so do.
Speaker 8: I and I get emails from people all the time too. So you know, after writing the first edition, I got a lot of new queries, which gave me some information as to extra things to include. Like even in the book, you know, if somebody has placed an air tag on you, you know, the Apple air tag, to track you or whatever reason. It's great for luggage, but it has been used for nefarious reasons. You can get a notice on your phone letting you know you're being tracked. And in the book I tell you how to go in to Apple to find the last three digits of the phone number that are tracking you. Oh wow, so yeah, I give those things that people don't know even exists.
Speaker 1: So what what do you think like writing this book? I mean, what do you think are some of the common shalut beside it's not asking for help? What do you think some of the common challenges senior's face when using androids? And also, I mean, before we get into that hold on Android versus iPhone, I know you've been a longtime Android person, right, so what makes you gravitate towards this platform?
Speaker 8: My husband is an iPhone. I've had iPhones in the past. I used to have iPod, you know, up until the most latest iPod that I still run on Wi Fi in the house.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 8: Now we talk about Wi Fi calling in the book too. But the point is I get a little lost, and when I wasn't close to being a senior, I get a little lost on Apple to find out all the things I exactly wanted to do. And you can get lost on an Android phone as well, but with this book, it tells you where did I use six different phones to write the book, So I'm checking from phone from brand to brand to brand, because each brand is like a different phone, but they're all based on Android, and Android is the heart of the operating system that is common to all these devices. And once you learn the basics, you can switch to any phone, any brand, OnePlus, Google, Samsung. It's all explained in the book. But the difference is between the each one.
Speaker 1: Which one do you think has the best sort of skin for most people? Like I mean, because you know, it's a big debate, like do you like the clean of the pixel? Do you like all the features of the Samsung the one plus has you know, one plus is kind of morphed into being much more iphony.
Speaker 8: Right exactly. I'm I became a pixel fan. Google had sent me a couple of pixels to write, you know, to use for my research in the book, and I have to tell you, I find that the cleanness of the pixel is a whole lot less confused and without the skin without having to join somebody's club and sign up sign up for this, and sign up for that, You've got an Android phone, which is straight technology, and on a Pixel phone, you get everything first. Now, whether they continue the feature or not, this is another question, but you get to have everything first, So if you hear the slightest bit about how okay the iPhone can do this oddside that's been downloaded to your Android phone and you've got it already.
Speaker 1: That is so true. It's so when I use the Pixel, I feel like it's actually to me, the Pixel is the smartest smartphone on the market. Like just the home screen where and I know you can set widgets on the iPhone, but like just the home screen on the Pixel, it just kind of like it looks in your Gmail for information and Rice surfaces it and like stuff you're not even thinking about. Like the other day, something popped up and I was like, whoa wait, Oh was a package delivery or something. I'm like, oh, I don't even know I've had a package delivery today exactly.
Speaker 8: And when we had recently the strike with the Amazon, I had packages that I was expecting and I could get that notification and it said which delivery center it was coming from. Oh, so that really helped me know that I would get my package.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So what give me some tips from the book. What do you think is a great tip that you want to share?
Speaker 8: Well, first thing I mentioned is buying an unlocked phone. Everybody thinks, oh, I need to go into this the T Mobile store, and they're going to set it up for me. Now, I like T Mobile, I use T Mobile myself, So this is not a diss on them, but any at and T any phone store. Those people who work there are salespeople. They have a talent for working the phones. Yes they understand, but remember there's a commission on everything that they sell you. It is kind of like buying a car old style.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, I saw phones, I know, right, yeah.
Speaker 8: Right, it's it's and those who didn't like the old car buying experience or walking into a dealership with the finance guy and this and that. That is what you're dealing with in a phone store. If you need help with your phone, You've got my books, You've got Rich on Tech, you've got my podcast. There are a billion places, and I talk about it in the book because you need to get it, and not necessarily from reviewers. Now, Rich you and I both know. We go to cees, we get technology, we look at it, and they would like us to write a review on a phone immediately. Now we all know you need to run a phone for a couple of months to know exactly what's going on. I mean, anybody can copy a press release with many people do. But I worked all of these phones, Samsung, Pixel and OnePlus, and I found out any flaws, anythings, any whatever changes made over time, and little tips and tricks that make those phones work better for you in the long run. So never just buy, in my opinion, a phone on all the reviews you see so so many of them are sponsored.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a whole other conversation. Right now, I'm looking through the book and it's very thorough. It's in full color. You've got lots of illustrations, lots of screenshots, which I know probably took a while painstakingly to collect. But you've got everything that you can imagine that you need to learn about with your Android phone. It is all in here. It's all lined up, and it's useful, helpful information, especially if you are trying to I love this. Oh, you've got the must do You've got Marcia's let's see here. I like this part Marcia's Must Do Things for your Phone, Chapter sixteen. You've got all the basics, screenshot, do not disturb, Wi Fi, VPN, wireless charging, emergency calls. Okay, that's great. So there you have it. The phone is called Android Smartphone for Seniors for Dummies. Second edition available on Amazon. Makes a great gift for someone or yourself. Malci Collier, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 8: Thank you Rich. Happy holidays and yeah, it's a great book.
Speaker 1: Really, I promise thanks for sending it along. Happy holidays to you and very exciting. I will probably see you a sc yes, all right eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website you want to link to the book, just go to rich on tech dot TV. It's all right there. Coming up, the FTC is eliminating some junk fees. We'll explain about that or I guess yeah, we'll talk about that. And how do you find a show that you want to watch on the right service. I'll answer that coming up right here. I'm rich on tech. What are you thankful for? Many of you replied, Patty said, tile tracker. We have them on our keys, backpack, luggage and camera bag. So I know that the air tag gets all the publicity. This is me talking now, not Patty. But the tile is still a formidable tracker. And when I like about the tile, I did review the latest tile trackers this year, they just came out with brand new ones. Tile was purchased by a company called Life three sixty. They make a popular app, a family tracking app, so it makes sense that the family tracking app would also have family trackers and tracking devices built in. They've got one for your remote control. It's like a little sticker you put on the back of your remote so you can find that with a sound. They've got a pro tracker, they've got a standard tracker with less distance, and then they've got a tracker that slips into your wallet. And so again, actually let's see here, if I type in into my website tile trackers, there it is. You can search for that on my website as well and see all my review on the new tile trackers. Look at that the tile Mate twenty five bucks, Tile Pro thirty five dollars, Tile Slim is the one that goes in your wallet. That's thirty bucks, and then tile Sticker is twenty five and some of them have a replaceable battery. So the Pro I think is the best one because it's got a five hundred foot range that's Bluetooth, and then it's got a one year replaceable battery. Oh sorry, wait, that one is yeah, yeah, replaceable, so you can replace the battery in that. So if you have the tile mate is a little bit cheaper. It's got a shorter range, but a three year non replaceable battery. And of course when I talk range on these things, there's two things happening. You've got bluetooth. So let's say that this tile tracker is in your backyard at your house. Your phone would help you lead to it based on the bluetooth because it can go five hundred feet. But if let's say you leave this a purse with a tracker in it at the airport, Now that tracker relies on a crowdsource tracking network. So all the other people that have the tile app installed on their phone, they are now helping you locate your tile tracker. So again it's bluetooth for the local stuff, and then for the worldwide stuff, it's everyone that has the tile app installed on their phone. Let's see. The FTC this week introduced some new regulations that go into effect in April twenty twenty five that say certain businesses have to display the total purchase cost of your products, including mandatory fees and the two businesses they targeted. Here are hotels and live event tickets, so you know who I'm talking about, ticket Master, all those different ticketing services. Let's say you go to buy a ticket for your basketball game. Oh, it's twenty five dollars. By the time you get to check out that same ticket with all the fees and all these different things they add on, is more like eighty five bucks. And by the way, you're probably not even finding a ticket for that cheap these days. Hotel same thing. You get the hotel price. And it's all about the search engines, because what people do is they put I want to s stay in a hotel in Phoenix, Arizona, and the hotel search engine, like a Kayak or a Google Hotels, they put all that information in a list and people sort by the cheapest and so if this hotel comes up to the cheapest, you select it. And then by the time you put all your information and it says, oh, by the way, you've got parking for thirty five dollars, you've got the resort fee for fifty dollars, which includes long distance phone calls. And then by the time you get to the end, your hotel nightly fee is way more than it was in that first page. So now they got to put everything up front. Convenience fees, service fees, resort fees all have to be up there. FTC estimates this will save consumers up to fifty three million hours annually that would otherwise be spent searching for total prices. Now, the one industry they did not put in here, which is a big, big offender, is the airline industry. So it is my biggest pet peeve when you go on Google Flights and you're looking for a flight somewhere and a super cheap flight comes up from one of these carriers that you know, they're fine, And yes, if you're just a college student or someone who just wants to get somewhere for fifty three dollars and not pack a bag or have a carry on or drink of water on the flight, sure it's amazing that we have that ability. But if you've got a family of four like myself, you got luggage you got to carry on. You know, back in the day we had strollers and all this stuff. You know, you want to see what that total prices. You can compare it against the other airlines, and a lot of these these low cost carriers. You've got to go through the entire flow before you can see how much it's going to cost you for your bag. And so the FTC did not mandate that airlines have to do this, which I think is a major miss. But I get it. It's all about competing on price and that's what these things do. So junk fees, they're still gonna be there, just gonna be a little bit more transparent. Anonymous rites in Rich, Happy holidays, Thanks for all your insights. I have a quick question. I just bought a new iPhone sixteen Promax and updated it to iOS eighteen. Maybe I'm crazy, but sometimes it feels like the camera is being turned on remotely. Is there a way to lock the camera? I don't know of a way to completely disable the camera on the iPhone, but you can manage which apps can access it. So go to Settings, Privacy and Security and Camera and you'll see a list of all the apps that have accessed your camera recently, and you can turn off camera access for any or all apps, so you can do that. I don't think there's on the Android side of things. On Pixel there is a way, maybe on Samsung as well, but I know on pixel. Specifically, you can turn off the camera globally so that no app can access it. The other thing you can do is look for a case that has a physical slider for both the front and back cameras. So I was looking up online. You can find one. Spyfi is one brand that has it. Spy dash Fi fy so a case that has a built in slider to physical block the camera. Eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. What's a massage from a robot like? That's coming up next? Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here with you hanging out talking technology. Phone lines open at eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. You can also email me. Just go to the website richon Tech dot tv and uh you can hit contact there. Jerry, I've been asking folks what they're thankful for in technology. I asked on my Instagram at rich on Tech. Jerry wrote in my GPS golf watch, I'll never lose it. Accurate, rechargeable and reliable. But does it improve your golf game?
Speaker 7: Jerry?
Speaker 1: I bet it does. It's amazing how all these tech products have helped in so many different fields, right, Like you almost feel like you're cheating, Like golf, tennis. They actually have an app for tennis that will like record your swing. I think it's called swing Vision. Yeah, oh, AI stats for tennis and pickleball, So I'll give you. It'll process your video in real time to track the ball trajectory and player movements. Probably help you, you know, become a better player. But it's just all the stuff that like you just didn't have and now you have it. And by the way, it's all through the phone, or it's all through GPS, it's all through your smart watch. It's pretty cool. All right, let's go to Monica in u Upland, California. Monica, you're on with Rich Yeah.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 7: My question is very simple. I would like to know if I could use AI to write my will.
Speaker 1: Oh, why such a dark question. Now, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm old and I'm getting there, so I better be prepared.
Speaker 2: And the lawyers are very expensive.
Speaker 1: Yes. Well, I am actually very proud of you for thinking of this because so many people do not have a will, and it is very important to have a will, even if it's a simple one, because why do you want the state having to fit you know, your loved ones, Why do you want to have to have them figuring out with a state? You know, like it's just to me, it's like, just get a will. I know we don't want to think about this stuff, but it is very important. So here's the thing. I think that AI can one write your will. Do I want you to use that as your will? Probably not, So I think that the AI can come up with a rough draft. I think the AI can give you some things to think about when it comes to your will. And I'm sure if you ask chat GBT to write a will for you, it probably could. But I think that it may not be the best way. Now. I'm not a lawyer and I don't know what the legal requirements are for a will. I believe that you probably just need something in writing and have a witness to that. I'm not sure, but I know that there are many many companies out there like legal Zoom that can walk you through a process to create your own will, and they do it every day, all day long, and so I would say that's probably a better way of doing it, just because you want to be sure that this is done properly on the up and up, and I'm looking at legal Zoom. It's ninety nine bucks for a standard will that include your last will and testament, healthcare directive, financial power of attorney, hipA authorization, thirty days of revisions, printing and shipping of one set of documents. So now I could be wrong. I know people may email me after I say this and say, Rich, of course use AI.
Speaker 7: Why not?
Speaker 1: Now I will tell you, Monica that I have used AI to look at every single contract I sign or deal or document, and I have it analyze everything, and so there is no shortage of information that AI has. So I'm gonna ask chat GPT. I'm just gonna say, can you help me create a will? And let's see what it says. Yes, I can help you draft a will. It's important to note that while I can provide a structured template, legal requirements for wills vary by jurisdic addiction. For a legally valid will, you should consult with an attorney or use a legal service tailored to your area. Here's a general outline to get you started. Title, declaration, appointment of executor, exidor executor. Oh oh yeah, hey, Rich, Good reading Rich. See, this is how you know I'm human because I still make mistakes. You know, you get my newsletter, there's always like a misspelling in there, like a little like you're like, that doesn't make sense, or I leave out a word. This is how you know that there's an actual human behind the stuff that I do. There you go, uh yeah, the executor. It's a totally different thing. Oh, distribution of ass guardianship for miners, other instructions, signatures, and witnesses. Example of a witness statement, self proving affidavit. So I bet you in this world there are probably many many people that have been using AI to create a will, and it probably works if you're hitting all the right you know, dotting all the crossing all the t's and dotting the i's like you, probably it probably works. But I don't know if I want to leave it to that chance just yet. So i'd probably have someone look at this, or I wouldn't even have someone look at it, because Monica, if you're trying to save money and not pay an attorney, then I would probably just do something like the legal zoom. And by the way, there are many there are many other products like legal Zoom you can type in on interesting on Google. Yeah, I'm sure if you just type in on Google last Will and Testament, it'll probably have a million companies that are willing to take your money to do this. Rocket Lawyer, Free Will, law Depot, so many trust and Will. I mean there are companies that just specialized in this. I think you could probably get a pretty good deal. And uh, you know, look for a promo code. I bet you. I bet your legal Zoom probably has some sort of promo code that'll save you even more. So that's what I would do, Monica, just to be sure. But I guess. I mean, theoretically, if you make this thing on AI and you go, you're not really gonna have to worry about what the implications are, right, I mean, you don't know any better. It's someone else is gonna have to worry about it, you know. Anyway, Thanks for the question. That's that's an interesting one. I do love AI for all this stuff though, and it is it is changing the way we do stuff like emails and stuff like. I can tell half the email pitches I'm getting now are all AI. It's all just like Okay, let's let's summarize this. Let's bullet point it, let's put emojis, let's use these words like furthermore and lastly. And conversely, Ai has a way of writing that is just a little bit unhuman, and it always ends with a waffling statement at the end. While some people like this, others find that. And it always says it at the end, and then at the beginning it always says something kind of flowery as well. So I love it, but it's it's got a little ways to go. Okay, So Craig writes in I've got a smart TV, Internet and local HDTV, but I don't want one hundred dollars cable bill just to watch Alaska the Last Frontier on Discovery Channel. I'm retired and willing to pay five to ten dollars a month any affordable options, So Craig, I'm not familiar with this show, but it sounds good, Alaska the Last Frontier. So what I would do is pop this into Google. And Google has a feature that says where to watch upper right hand corner. And I'm looking at this and the different services come up. You've got Filo Max, YouTube TV, Apple TV, Discovery Plus, YouTube, Hulu, so it's on a lot of these things because I think it's a TV show. Looks like it's a TV show on Discovery Channel. So I think what's happening is if you've had Filo, I bet you they have Discovery Channel so you can watch it. If you got Max, do they include Discovery? Oh yeah, because Max is part of that as well, so yeah, they probably have it. So what I would do is look at these subscription services and see which one is the cheapest and subscribe there. I'm guessing it is Discovery Plus. And so if I go to the third let's see the second second listing on Google Alaska, the last Frontier is on Discovery so it looks like a Discovery Channel show. I would say Discovery Plus is going to be your best bet. Let's see what is this show about? The Kitcher The Kilture family works together to survive on a homeland in Alaska. Stream now, So if you click that Discovery Plus this show is on there, it confirms that. And then you just have to see how much Discovery Plus costs. Sign up now and let's see, Okay, Discovery Plus four ninety nine a month AD free eight ninety nine, where's our bell? That is correct? Craig you can do this for five to ten dollars a month. Discovery Plus is your friend. Now there are other apps that do this. There you go, there's another. There's other apps that do this. There's an app called Real Good Our E E L g oo D. You can type in the service in there, or just watch. Just watch is another one. And these are apps that you can put on your phone. And this goes for anything, anything that you want to watch. These apps will help you find where that is. So I'm gonna put this into just Watch. What's the show called Alaska the Last Front Tier there it is. The show has been going on since twenty eleven. It's got eleven seasons, so Craig, you can catch up on some seasons. So I'm looking at this and it's telling me the different ways to watch it, and if I want to do it's, uh yeah, you've got Max, You've got Discovery Plus. Those are the pretty much the ways to do it. Those are the main ways, and then of course you've got the show on other ways. But that's for any movie or TV show. If you want to figure out where to watch it, Google is a good first stop. They've got all that data. But Real Good and just watch her. Also two great ways to do that eight A eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. Coming up this hour, we're gonna talk to mind over Tech founder Jonathan Garner. He's gonna explain how to develop a healthier relationship with technology, and coming up right after the break, I'm gonna tell you what it's like to get a massage from a robot. Yeah, stick stay stick around for that. Well, become back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you. Let's go to uh Mark in Los Angeles. Mark, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: All right, Rich, how you do it?
Speaker 5: Have the very Christmas seconds?
Speaker 1: Absolutely same to you. What can I help you with?
Speaker 5: I have a quick question. I've seen these translating earbuds, and I've had no good luck with the earbuds, you know, regular ones, but these translating ones. I'd see him all over the internet and I've seen them from ten dollars on up to one hundred and fifty dollars, and I mean, I don't if they do the same thing. I'm just trying to find out which one's a good one and what do you based it on? And if you have any idea where to go and how to you know which ones to do?
Speaker 1: Okay, so this, uh, these must be advertised everywhere because I get this question so often, and I guess they must be on a lot of Facebook ads. That's what I'm guessing. Are you seeing these like online?
Speaker 5: I'm not on Facebook anymore. Okay, They're all over the internet. And I told somebody.
Speaker 6: I told somebody about them.
Speaker 4: She had no idea about them. She was flipping in the air. She couldn't believe they had them.
Speaker 7: And I said, yeah, I've seen them.
Speaker 4: I was when COVID hit.
Speaker 5: I was, I was on the I was on the web and I saw a pair company that was in New York and they I couldn't get a hold of anybody. I could just they would just do it by email. And I contacted them again. And I don't if I can't talk to somebody, I don't know if I want to buy them.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a that's a great tip, right there. Absolutely. I always checked for the UH. Always check for the contact information and the customer service information before you make a purchase. But to answer your question, so yes, there are many, many claims of translating earbuds, but there's a couple of brands and services that I think I would trust, and I've I've seen these things. I've tried them to a certain extent, but I don't know if there's like one killer kind of brand out there just yet. I think the one that comes up over and over with the best reviews is the time Kettle. So I have not personally tested these, but those, you know, it's sort of like they're business and so they do, you know, translating earbuds, and that's kind of like what their entire world is. So I probably look to those. Number One, let's see how much they are. So they've got the latest W four pro. Let's see how much these things are. Four hundred Oh wow, those are expensive, four hundred and fifty bucks. So I think that that's, you know, one option. It looks like they have a whole bunch of different options under their website Time Kettle. But I will tell you that I think this is going to be a something that will be tackled in twenty twenty five by a lot of companies, and I'm already seeing the trend. So Number one, Samsung earbuds. This year, they came out with something called Interpreter Mode, So that is something that you can get on Samsung devices with these earbuds, and in real time, you can hear what someone's saying in a different language. So that's number one. You have to have a Samsung phone for that. Pixel pixel buds do that. So these I don't know if you need the pixel phone, but I know you need the pixel buds to do this. But the Pixel buds also have a feature where they can translate in real time, and obviously it's Google, so they're gonna be good at it. Then you've got the ray Band Meta smart glasses. They just came out with a software update that will let you hear what someone's saying through these glasses in a different language. So if someone speaking French, Italian or Spanish, it will translate that into English that you can understand it, and it's done all in the glasses. And I think that AI is a big part of this. I think that AI is going to be a huge win for this sort of situation. But that's why i'd look for something that is maybe not super duper cheap, but I would look for something like the Time kettle I think is pretty well known. This other brand keeps coming up, but I have not heard of it. Yeah, I'm I don't know if I'm gonna mention that one because I'm not really sure. This brand is called and Fear a n F I E er and they have the M three offline, So that's the other thing depends if these are online or offline. Offline is obviously going to be easier because you don't need to be connected to the internet. Those are one hundred bucks. They get three and a half stars on Amazon, so I'd be a little cautious with those. Let's see what their M six get. Those get a little bit better. Those get four and a half stars. Those are ninety bucks. So a couple of options there. Mark choose wisely, all right. So this week I got a massage from a robot. Yes it is quite weird. It's called Escape, but this is the future. So this is a basically a robotic massage table. You lay down, you put on this spandex suit. There's no oil, so you put on this tight fitting body suit so these arms can move over you and you kind of choose what you want to do. It's kind of like an uber of massages, So you book it all online through the app. You go to one of these places and it's pretty much self serve, except for the first time you go. Someone's going to tell you how to do it, and you know, help you, you know, pick out this suit to put on that they will provide to you. So you put on the suit, you lay down, you press start, and next thing you know, the thing uses cameras to scan your body. I'm told the cameras don't actually take pictures. They just kind of use like topography map kind of thing of your body, of your back and uses AI to come up with a program. And once it does that not only takes like a minute or so, and then all of a sudden, this thing gets to work and these arms come down and they start moving on your back and kind of massaging you. And it reminded me of sort of what Peloton did for cycling. This is not going to replace people going out on bikes, not going to replace the human you know therapists out there massage therapists. But I think it's just going to give people another option. So it felt good. It was a little scary the first time those arms hit my back. I was like, oh gosh, are these things gonna crush me to death? They didn't. There is an emergency button if you need it, but I didn't have to use that. And if the power goes out or whatever, you can just push these off of you. It's not a big deal. It's not like they're big and heavy. But again, the company is escape a e Scape. They're putting them in at the rich Carlton Equinox. You can see the level of clientele they're going for. I went to a place called Pause in Studio City, California. It's kind of like a wellness clinic. And again, I think this is just going to give people one more option for a massage, someone who may not be comfortable going to a traditional massage, or someone who just wants a little more tech forward of an experience. I try it. You can check the video on the website rich on Tech dot TV. Coming up, we're going to talk about developing a healthier relationship with your technology. Right here on rich on Tech. Jerry wrote in and says what he's thankful for my new AirPod pro twos for my loss of hearing. Such a blessing. I asked you on my Instagram what you're thankful for. And that's a good one, Jerry. That's a new feature. Definitely check it out if you have not if you are hearing, if you have any sort of hearing issue, it can really help with a wide range of those. All right, joining me now is a mind Over tech founder Jonathan Garner. He's got a new book coming out next year and he's going to explain how to develop a healthier relationship with technology. Jonathan, thanks for joining me today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very welcome. You're mentioning time.
Speaker 9: It's ten thirteen evening here in Berlin where I'm based. Yeah, see that's what it's definitely definitely code outside.
Speaker 1: You know. I actually did a show from Berlin and it was The show was I think it was from eight to eleven at night and I was in a hotel room but some for some reason, I didn't realize there was like a lounge club underneath the room I was staying in, and all of a sudden at night it was just like the music, the drums, the singing, and it was I don't think you could hear on the radio, but it was pretty wild. So what do you think our relationship is with technology? What do you think the problem, Well, what do you think the problem is with our relationship with technology?
Speaker 9: I think the problem is that it's just very complicated. At the same time, technology brings us so many incredible benefits, and at the same time, I think anyone be lying if they didn't say that there were things they wanted to improve about their relationship with tech or that quite a lot of the time they felt like they didn't actually have full control over the way they.
Speaker 4: Were using it.
Speaker 9: So I think, yeah, there's like a deep love hate relationship involved in that.
Speaker 1: I can understand that. So you have an organization mind over Tech. What is that all about?
Speaker 4: That's right? So, yeah, mind over Tech.
Speaker 9: We work with organizations to help people look into their relationship with technology, but specifically we work with people on the behavior level, looking at their digital habits. So basically the moment to moment kind of interactions with our digital devices every day, and we do that to create space for people to actually be more intentional with how they use their technology. So trying to turn it from a toul distracts us into a tool which actually aligns with our kind of professional and personal goals as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, we work with yeah, sorry, go on.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just I mean, okay. So here's like, so this is what happens with me personally, is that I'm like, okay, I'm going to be less on my phone, I'm going to be with my kids. I'm going to be present, And all of a sudden, it's like, oh, what time's that movie playing? Well, where do you have to go for that? You got to go to your phone? Oh let me see how long does it take to drive to that place? Oh? You got to go to your phone. Did someone call me or leave a message or text me or whatever? I mean, it's like, you know, or your wife is you know, still out in your home, and it's like you want to make sure you're available for a phone call or your kid's school. So I feel like this the smartphone specifically, is like this really interesting tool that, like you said earlier, it gives us so many benefits and it does so many things, but at the same time, it's like to disconnect from it is really tough because of all those reasons.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely, And you know, like the reason why that's so incredible because you know, your smartphone particularly is this portal which allows you to do almost anything, which is incredibly liberating and fereing to live these kind of very complex lives that we live these days. But on the flip side of that, as you're pointing out, there was very little boundaries set within those devices.
Speaker 4: They're very slippery. So actually, like for me, I'll.
Speaker 9: Often go to pick up my friends to check the time and then suddenly I'm lost down some rabbit hole somewhere completely forgetting to check the time in the first place. And I think that a lot of this problem stems from the fact that actually most of us use our technology with the default settings. Maybe not listeners of your show people that kind of get eeky about Peck, But actually there was a really interesting study looking into how people use Microsoft Word, so perhaps not the most kind of kind of current piece of technology, but interestingly there they found that ninety five percent of people never changed the default settings of using Word. And I think extrape it out that that's true for most of us with most of our technology. And whilst technology is amazing, actually the default settings don't often work for everybody. It really takes time kind of pays off to take the time to dig in a little bit and set your technology up in a way that really works for you, and that's you know, working with your digital habits. The book that I've written is called Your Best Digital Life, and that's really about looking into Okay, what can you do to actually dig it a bit deeper, reflect on how you use your technology and change those settings so that it becomes a power tool to really align with your goals.
Speaker 1: So true, like go into those settings. You're not going to break anything. And people think like, oh, if I turn this off, it's going to like ruin my phone, Like you can always change it back. My brother and I were talking about this yesterday because you said, you know, I'm getting like thirty notifications a day from this app. And I call it for some of these apps like notification abuse because let me get an example of a delivery app, right, Like an app delivers food, right, So you need to keep those notifications on for that app because you want to know when your food's getting delivered, an update if there's a problem. But what that app does in the off time is spam you with a hundred different things like hey, you're I noticed you looked at an Enchilada today, do you want to order that? Or I saw you checked out Chipotle? Do you want to order your ball from there, So it's like they're abusing you with like all these other things, but yet you need to leave that on for the important notifications that you need to get. So that's just one tiny example.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, And the thing is that we all know that we could improve that situation by changing our notification settings, but the reality is that most of us never actually get around to doing it. So a lot of what we teach at mind O of Tech is not things that people haven't heard of before, but actually saying, how can you create a system which allows you to move from this being something that's you know, a nice to have to something that you.
Speaker 4: Actually regularly practice.
Speaker 9: And we actually created a number of years ago a resource called the Digital Habit Lab.
Speaker 4: I've got it here.
Speaker 9: It's like a deck of fifty experiment cards and actually, to your point, one of the experiments in there is have a notification strategy. So this is a basically encouraging people to spend ten minutes digging into those notification settings to understand how they work to filter out those useful notifications from the unuseful ones. But the whole point here is actually everyone's need from technology is different. Some people don't need any notifications at all. Others may need to be alerted straight away when loved ones need assistance. Like, there's an infinite spectrum of needs. And our belief is that by regularly running experiments like the one I just mentioned, it allows you to actually understand what you need on your own terms and start to shift your behavior about how you use your technology, so it is aligning more with your goals.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of I know we're kind of getting fixated on notifications, but speaking of that good good tip on the iPhone is that when you get a notification from an app and you don't need a notification from them anymore, instead of just swiping it away, slow swipe it from the right to the left and you'll reveal this new options button and you can tap that and you can turn off those notifications all together, or you can mute them for an hour or for the day. But it's something that I do all the time. I'll just clean up my notifications when I get one from an app. I'm like, I don't need to. You know, you sign up for like one of these store apps to get a discount the first time you use it, and all of a sudden they just start spamming you with all kinds of stuff. It's all right, I already use the ten percent off coupon. Let me just swipe over and turn off these notifications and you don't need them. Okay, So you've got the book, You've got the book coming out, and we've got about a minute left. What do you think when people say they're addicted to their phone? What do you think the real issue is there? What do you think?
Speaker 9: Yeah, so I think I mean smartphone addictions possible, but most of the time it's quite uncommon.
Speaker 4: And because the thing is addiction creates.
Speaker 9: Actually a sense of pleasure in the brain and removes the discomfort from cravings, which but actually I think what most people experience is more of compulsion. So and the difference there with the compulsion is that actually it kind of creates the urge to do something, but it doesn't actually necessarily saytiate your your brain.
Speaker 4: So this is really driven by dopamine, I guess.
Speaker 9: But the interesting thing with dopamine is that we often think that it's given as a reward at the end, like I eat ice cream and then I'm rewarded with that dopamine. But actually the most dopamine has released an anticipation of a reward. When you hear the ice cream truck in the distance, your dopamine is released at the potential of getting a reward there. So actually a lot of the time we feel addicted, but actually we're just it's a very deeply ingrained habit from these kind of dopamine loops, which basically drew us to pick up our phone because actually, you know, there are good reasons, like often when you pick up your phone, there's very important information there, but a lot of the time there isn't.
Speaker 4: So our brain secretary is very much geared towards.
Speaker 9: Compelling us to look at that, and a lot of what we look at in the book and our methodology is how can you use a mindful approach to actually become aware of that behavior, to notice those patterns and actually start to build behaviors which help you use it when you want to, but not when you don't, and therefore help you get more done and feel less anxious.
Speaker 1: Good information. Mindover tech dot com is the website the book Your Best Digital Life that's coming out in April. You can pre order that now on Amazon. Jonathan Garner, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're welcome.
Speaker 9: And there's a free chapter one available for danod on the website, so do check that out.
Speaker 1: All right, mindover tech dot com download it, see what the deal is with you and your phone and get some healthier phone sort of management skills for twenty twenty five. Really appreciate you coming on the show today. Coming up, we are going to open up the feedback. These are the emails, the comments, the questions that you have sent to me this week. Dare I say it maybe the last one of the year. Wow, rich on Tech dot TV. If you want to get in those last minute comments, will be right back. Welcome back to rich on tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology, sharing some of the things that you wrote in that you are thankful for. Kristin writes in Claude AI Brad from Lakeland, Tennessee rights in perplexity, AI. Karen writes in grammarly let's see, and Matt writes in my Tesla for driving me around town. So AI, very people are very thankful for AI apparently and the Tesla for driving around town. All right, let's open up the feedback. If you listen to the show, you know this is the part of the show where I read your questions, your comments, your emails. I get a lot of them, and I do try to write back to most of your questions, but it is just impossible to get to them all, so I address some of them on the show. So if you write to me, you may hear your name on the show. That's what happened with Rudy from San Jose, he writes in I wanted to comment on your recent show. A caller mentioned having issues with an EPSOM printer on AT and T wireless internet, where sometimes it prints and sometimes it doesn't. One thing to note that routers create two networks, a personal network and a guest network. It's possible that the caller's phone or computer is connected to one network and the printer to the other, which would cause them not to see each other. We had a similar issue at home and this was the solution. Love your show, Regards Rudy. Okay, that's one option. Always make sure you're connected to the same network as the device that you're trying to connect to, and that is tricky because sometimes people do have a guest network or a separate network, and that's not always the case. Along the same lines, Darren from Walnut writs in Hey, Rich, love your show and never miss it regarding the caller who had trouble connecting as printer using AT and T five G home Internet. I've had a similar experience with T mobile home Internet when I had cable Internet. I did not have the issue with the same setup. I've noticed devices like my iPhone or Dennin av box sometimes take ten minutes to an hour to reconnect after being turned off or restarted. That might explain the caller's problem. If he's turning off his iPad when he's not using it, I suggest he keeps it on or avoid restarting it before printing. Yeah, that's another solution there. It's funny we always make the joke about this show that printer problems are the number one issue. Everyone has a printer issue. In fact, I was printing my stuff for the show today. Yes, I still print out some of these things. I try to say paper whenever possible, like right now I'm reading off of PDFs on my computer screen, so I don't waste paper. But you know, I was printing this morning for some of my show, and the printer it was like sorry, you're not connected. It's like what Sure enough, I go into the office and the printer had been turned off, and you know, turn on the printer. And as soon as I did that took about ten seconds, my computer found it and it went to it. But I will say there's been times when my computer, or rather my printer has gone into sort of a deep sleep, and I feel like that's when you have the connection problems. Like maybe if you're not using it for a long time, it just says sorry, like you need to like tap the screen or something and wake it up. David writes in Hey Rich, big fan of the show and listen to the podcast every week. It's my go to source for tech news and opinions. I really appreciate your insights and the way you introduce listeners to new products and helpful apps. I wanted to share a cool app I recently discovered called local Send. It's a game changer for easily transferring files between Mac, Android, and Windows devices on my home network. The fact that it's open source is a big plus for me. I don't recall hearing you mention it on your show. I thought you might find it interesting. Thanks again for the great content. David. I have mentioned local send on the show and I think it is fantastic and I have used it personally. It's kind of like the best way to describe it is sort of like air drop, but for every device. Keep in mind you do have to be on the same network, so airdrop. What's beautiful about that is that it works ad hoc. So if you are in the forest in the middle of nowhere with no signal, no Wi Fi, and you had an iPhone and your friend had an iPhone, you would be able to send a file from your iPhone to their iPhone without any sort of like cellular network or Wi Fi network. Local send you do need to be on the same network, but it is free, it's open source, it's cross platform. It works really well. There are some other apps like this. One of them is called a pair drop pai r DRP dot net. So if you're ever with someone and you want to exchange something quickly, just have them openpairdrop dot net on their browser. You can open up paardrop dot net on your browser and as long as you're on the same network, you can exchange files, or you can even make a public room and you can exchange stuff like that. So lots of options. Thanks for the suggestion there, David, appreciate it. Jony from Carmel writes in thanks for your podcast. I almost bought ink on Amazon that looked like HPS, complete with the logo, but the brand was listed as dzeng and raised a red flag. The ninety nine dollars knockoff was even labeled as Amazon's choice. Meanwhile, the real HP Inc. Was twenty five dollars cheaper. How was it legal for sellers to use HP's logo on counterfeit items? Big fail? Amazon. Thanks for letting me vent Merry Christmas to you and your family. Brian writes in great show, Rich, I really appreciated the coinbase guest you had on. Unfortunately, I was a victim of a pig butchering crypto scam, so while the advice came too late for me, I hope it helps stop future targets. I reported the scam to the police, the FBI, and the FTC, but never heard back. It feels like there's very little digital protection, whether for cryptocurrencies or data breaches. I'd love to hear an interview specifically about what happens to companies that get compromised. It seems like consumers end up bearing the brunt. Sorry that that happened to you, Brian. That's why I do interviews like that to help folks be aware of these things that are happening. And yes, you should report things to the IC three. I think it's called IC three Internet Crime Complaint Center, but it does say on there that they will not necessarily respond to your complaint, but they will take it into consideration. Chris writes in I enjoy your program. I am at best tech challenge, but I appreciate learning everything I can. Thanks for providing a great show. Candice from San Diego writes in thank you for all your extremely useful information. You make it easy to understand. Thank you, and Donna writes in thank you for your time. I really enjoy your segments and learn a lot from them. Keep doing the great work you're doing. You're good at your job. Oh, thank you, and I admire you. Wishing you in the KTLA family a safe and wonderful Holidays season. That's going to do it for this episode of the show. Thank you, Donna, Thank you everyone who takes the time to write to me. It's been two years of this show. If you can believe it. It is flown by You can find links to anything I mentioned on my website. Just go to Rich on tech dot tv. This is show number one oh two. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on Tech. Instagram is kind of where I hang out the most. Of course, I'm also on x I'm also on Facebook and Blue Sky. Still trying to figure that one out. Have a fantastic holiday, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Honakah, whatever you celebrate, enjoy, spend some time with friends and family, Relax, recharge. Thank you so much for listening. That's what I can say. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I really do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. Adam in for Bobo today, Kim on Phones, Bill, Julie, the rest of the team. My name is rich Tomuro. I will talk to you real soon.