Speaker 1: But I invited you here, thought I made myself perfectly clear.
Speaker 2: But you're a guest to my home. You gotta come to me empty, And I said, no guests, you're o presences presents enough.
Speaker 1: I already had too much stuff, So how did you dare to surbey me?
Speaker 3: Welcome to I said, no gifts. I'm Bridger Wineger January, I suppose, and at least this is January. Nodding their head. Uh, so, I assume I'm catching you on the slopes, probably zipping down the mountain on your new skis, going this way and that. I mean, I can't imagine anything else you would be doing. I had lunch at Chipotle. God only knows what I was thinking. Rough experience. But we're in the middle of the day. It's beautiful, we're in the backyard, and I'm very excited about today's guests. He's just wonderful. It's echo kellum echo. Welcome to said.
Speaker 4: Okifts, thank you so much for having me. I'm very thankful. I already said thank you. Look that two thanks in one sentence.
Speaker 3: Wow, the gratitude is just shining through. I'm not quite sure what to do with myself today. It's been so cold, and now it feels like it's summer.
Speaker 4: I know, I'm wear a full on sweater. It's like ninety seven degree. It was like sixty eight degrees yesterday and I was like, sweater weather is here. I'm living, I'm thriving, and today I am. I am completely drenched.
Speaker 3: I feel like even just wearing pants, I'm overdressed for this. It's too much. But uh, I guess we should enjoy this before it begins raining.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I I I'm like, I'm like, uh, Noah, like is going right? I looked forward to the rain. I don't know if Noah looked forward to the rain. I just remember that one thing was like, it's going rain. Like he just keeps saying it's going rain, and yeah, Noah, sure he's blowing that arc. It ain't going right. But I look forward to the rain out here.
Speaker 3: I I wish I could. I mean, Uh, listeners of this podcast know that last year my house flooded, so I'm like dealing with that kind of residual feeling, hoping that it doesn't happen again this year. Then I can embrace rain again.
Speaker 5: My back house flooded.
Speaker 4: It's not a house, it's like it was a garage that I converted into a man cave.
Speaker 5: It's like I don't even think I'm like rich. Like I have a backhouse.
Speaker 4: It's very central. A car would fit in it. Okay, but that's about it. But you know, it flooded a few years ago. There was like this intense rainstorm.
Speaker 3: Was like more water drop, more water dropped.
Speaker 5: Oh god, that's my that's where I'm from.
Speaker 4: Water more water dropped in a span of like an hour and a half than like one hundred years in La. Like about four or five years ago. The flooded my back car garage conversion, right and my whole backyard. So I was just like, man, this sucks. But then I'm also like we've dealt with so many droughts, and I'm like I just don't I just want to be thankful.
Speaker 5: When I live in Vancouver, it rained all the time. I hated my life. I was so sad. Of course, so I understand that, but yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Feels bad to complain when we're so desperate for any level of water. But the moment it starts, I'm just in a complete panic and cursing it and just being like I let's do a drought for twenty years. I don't care anymore.
Speaker 4: How are you doing doing that herriquake? Remember that was like August.
Speaker 3: I was definitely scared. Yeah, I mean I was so tense. I felt like my back was going to break. And it rained for like a day. Yeah, but we didn't have any flooding. I think it has to rain for thirty six hours before I'm in an actual danger. Okay, yeah, yeah, so that's in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: I'm going to be Yeah, the rain's coming.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean it's noah, it's me okay, but I'm like, no, I'm doing nothing to prepare. I'm just waiting to see what happens to me again.
Speaker 4: Collecting animals, of course, that's the one thing I know and I have.
Speaker 3: My house is just full of animals. They're fighting, they're mating, they're eating everything, life life. When your place flooded, what did you like slowly know it was beginning to flood or was it like you walk back there and you're like, oh, no.
Speaker 4: So I just had some where it's a back patios in the backyard. Well, don't want to say, yar, it's very small, that's very tiny. I just had some work done on the back patio, and so they like redid the top and then like they did something with like a little wall I have back there to make it easier for the rain. And then it just I looked out back and it was flooding and it was coming toward my house.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 4: And I looked in the back room. It was like water ankle deep, and I was like, ohly shit. They had all my I have shoes in there. Oh no, that's a whole bottom row done like just classics.
Speaker 5: Gone like, yeah, what.
Speaker 3: Did you do with the shoes?
Speaker 5: I tossed them. Oh, this has happened to me before.
Speaker 4: Like I had some sneakers in the bedroom at my brother's house in him and Indiana years and years ago, and his house flooded and it ruined all of my Jordans.
Speaker 3: These shoes.
Speaker 5: I shouldn't have nice shoes, but I do. I love shoes. I still buy them. I need them.
Speaker 4: But I did the dumbest thing in the world. I got a bucket and start trying to like shove water the side to help, and it was it was just it was.
Speaker 5: Raining so intensely, so it was just nothing I could do.
Speaker 3: Right, there's truly nothing. You just have to wait for it to be I just waited yet. What else was in this room? Oh man?
Speaker 4: This is like this was like my man it's my storage room now, but it used to be my man cave room. Like I have like a little TV put up in there, but it's mainly like shoes across the wall, like I have like probably three hundred pairs of Oh my god, this is a foot loss. So it's literally like but they're all in like these like nice little drop boxes, so you can just open up the front and just grab them and they're so it's like, it's not about.
Speaker 3: Three hundred pairs of shoes. Is that what you said?
Speaker 5: Something like that, Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 4: I to be fair, I don't buy a lot of shoes now, but there was a period twenty fifteen to nineteen where I was obsessed with sneakers and buying them.
Speaker 3: And right right, what was the did it? Like you picked a pair and they were like, oh, I need to just keep doing this. I mean, it's.
Speaker 4: Really generational trauma is the reason.
Speaker 3: Why I bought it.
Speaker 5: I was a poor black kid, sure.
Speaker 4: And I would wear the air Gordon's to school with the Michael Jordan who's way too strong, and it's like.
Speaker 3: That, ain't Michael Jordan's mighty be able to get him? You know?
Speaker 4: So when you are very poor black man, you get any summits of money, shoe fairy shop comes up and says you have to do this, you have to do it, and you have to buy a sneaker for some reason. But the poor you have to start off poor, you know. So, But no, it was like I always wanted cool sneakers and I never can really have and like that, I was a little still miffed about the Jordan's situation in him in Indiana, so I started buying. It was one pair, this is what, this is what happens. I saw one pair called the Jordan twelve wings, okay, and you can rub off some of the Jordan and it reveals golden black wings underneath it. They were so cool and it's like, I have to have these shoes. And it just awoken my shoe off. I was like, oh my god. And I was like, oh, I'm making money. Yeah, I guess I can buy shoes.
Speaker 3: You can treat yourself to wow. So the shoes were like a I don't even know what that is like a lotto ticket or something. Yeah, kind of.
Speaker 4: I think it just meant like, you know, there's so much uh, shoe envy from where I was from, like just being like poor kids, we can never just have the cool stuff, you know. So it was just kind of like the kid who had the Jordan, you knew their parents are doing, like, oh, you got two parents, so you're both the parents in the household. Okay, we see, you know whatever. But for the rest of those who were just like man, I was some cool. She was wearing extra nine hundreds and pro wings and things like that, you know.
Speaker 3: So to be very clear though, what I was saying is when you scratch the shoe.
Speaker 4: Like I won the lot was kind of entertainment. Yeah, you rub it off, and then it's is the gold gone forever? Well, so they're they're black and white, okay, and then when you rub the black off, it's black and gold.
Speaker 5: And it's wings. This incredible, like dozens of wings. It's so cool.
Speaker 4: I had I bought two hairs of them just so I could like rub off one of course satisfying, and of course I got them. I was like, I can't rub these off. These are these are prices. I can't do anything. I haven't done that.
Speaker 3: Wait till you're on your deathbed.
Speaker 4: Yes, bring maybe twelve wings.
Speaker 3: Now more shoes should be designed to like become cooler as you wear them. They should, Yeah, I mean I imagine that's not exactly why they do that, but yeah, I mean they're right. That's really amazing. How much does a pair of shoes like that cost?
Speaker 4: The truth is the resale that is the expensive part, right, And I keeping them out for just two hundred bucks. Oh you know, it's like, you know what you would expect to be, but if you're trying to get them on resale, they're like a thousand or something.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So were you ever waiting in lines or anything?
Speaker 4: Not not physically on the net yet, Like I'll get on sneakers app and then it's like you're waiting a line and stuff like that, or foot.
Speaker 5: Lockers doing a drop. I would do that type of stuff, but.
Speaker 4: I was never one of the I mean, I'm sure I have gone to a line or two, maybe two at the most in my entire life, but I'm just not the Hey, let's show up at now. I think I did it one time, showed up at the mall at nine am. The mall on that open till ten there was already a line with twenty five people and they had two pairs of sneakers. And I was like, oh what am I doing here? Like, I'm like, I'm never doing this again.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, I in the last couple of years, I came to the conclusion that nothing is worth waiting in a line for. If there are more than three people have to stand behind whatever it is is, I don't need it. Yeah, I won't enjoy it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if it's a bar or someone want to go to in the's a line, no, and you know, I'll go to the guy and I'm like, hey, you know I have a back garage house.
Speaker 5: You know, He's like, I don't care, man, get out of it. But I ain't waiting this line, brother, you know you.
Speaker 3: Don't hear me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm doing well. I have a back garage, thanks sir. So can I please get in this establishment? No, well, I'm not waiting.
Speaker 3: And then you're yelling at to the line. You're just trying to get anyone to be impressed by.
Speaker 5: Anyone to be impressed by that. You know, I have a converted.
Speaker 3: Garage and it's currently draw it's dried, only flooded once.
Speaker 4: I was definitely worried that every time it rains. That is a worry of mine. Okay, oh, it can happen again because I didn't do anything.
Speaker 3: I can't do anything. What do you think You've got to do something?
Speaker 4: Just like whoa, that's that's that's what happens sometimes things flood.
Speaker 3: Did you at least like lift the shoes up off the floor.
Speaker 5: I mean I did something. I mean I mean like it's not.
Speaker 4: Like I redid the whole room or like it was like let's get all this out here.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I was just like damn. You know.
Speaker 4: I tested for mold and it was like no mold. I was like, well, great, that's all I can expect. This is all I can hope for. Like what I'm going to reinforce the room? I'm getting sand bags next time, I guess I could.
Speaker 3: I can tell you about sandbags. I can tell you sand bag technology didn't have a kind of yeah, I mean, at least as far as stopping the water to a point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it just soaks up the water, soaks.
Speaker 3: Up the water and then leaves a muddy stain on your floor. And I mean there's so much panicking and screaming and wetness that it really nothing really matters. Yeah, once it's in the house, it's like it's very problematic. Right, you just collapsed. How do you test for mold? Did you?
Speaker 5: I had somebody come in to just make sure everything was okay, what not.
Speaker 3: The probably should get things tested for mold. I feel like my house is probably just full of dangerous.
Speaker 5: And get some little sprays just spray away. Yeah, spray they.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's hiding somewhere in my house and affecting everything I do.
Speaker 5: I mean, mold's probably everywhere.
Speaker 3: It's probably it's very sneaky, so sneaky. A lot of things are damp.
Speaker 4: So many things are damp, and the mosquitoes are just in there, like everywhere.
Speaker 3: Baby, you know, let me ask you this. Did you have mosquitos in your house this year? Yeah?
Speaker 4: They they hang around It wasn't you know. I'm just at a place where I don't even leave the windows. I have screens in all the windows. I don't leave my doors open, right, don't want to do Like if one mosquitoes in the house, I feel more panic than if it's going to rain for three days. You know, I'm just like, is it in the room? Like I'm like, is it in the room when I sleep I wake up? I got like four things just like I really do it for like man, Like you see one and then you see it and it goes away.
Speaker 3: You're just like, oh my god, you're chasing it around the house. We had a fly in our bedroom and my boyfriend would not go to sleep until we had caught it. So it was like an hour before we went back to bed. And there's a good chance you're not going to catch the fly. They're getting away.
Speaker 5: They're very good.
Speaker 3: I finally have a fly. I got a fly sweater on this podcast. They help. They're very useful. I want one of those little zappy.
Speaker 5: Ones, like the carry around zappy.
Speaker 3: They're incredible. I want to say so manufactured them. We had one when I was a kid and my brother would hit me with it, so it was more of like a torture device. Okay, but you know it's like a swater, but it also zaps, so you're getting a real kill power op. Yeah yeah, but uh, this is the first year we had like as we didn't have a ton of mosquitos in the house, but they were getting it and people other friends have been like, oh, we had mosquitos in the house in the five years ago there. I don't think there were mosquitos in any city.
Speaker 5: There weren't any. There weren't any.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know what their next step is going to be. Where do you go over?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: They're going to be running property, yes, moving in next to just like a million mosquitoes in a man made mosquito suit.
Speaker 5: It's like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: You're competing with mosquitoes to buy property. The housing market is getting.
Speaker 5: Worse than really brutal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a tough situation. The water, we've got to just like even it out one like the rain once a month.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that'll be nice.
Speaker 3: I wottle break.
Speaker 4: If I would say, if I could say, a perfect amount for me per month, give me a weekend.
Speaker 3: Oh a nice RAINI weekend, bring out the tea.
Speaker 4: I sometimes just to sit in my door, sit at my door on the inside right, crack it open and just listen to those rain drops.
Speaker 3: It makes me feel nice. Let me get to that place to feel peace with the rain. My god.
Speaker 4: I hated in Vancouver couldn't stand because it was just like relentless.
Speaker 5: Its like NonStop, four straight weeks.
Speaker 4: Every day it rains and you're just like, oh my, And in season of depression, I realized was very real when I was out there.
Speaker 3: How much of the year were you there?
Speaker 4: Ten months a year? Oh, loot of the summer month? Like I would get there and you wish you were there in June julack because it's like the nature is so beautiful, the city really comes alive.
Speaker 5: You can like bite the sea wall.
Speaker 4: It's really dope, and you can do whistler and stuff in the winter, but it just rains so much, and it was just like, man, I can't catch a break every day.
Speaker 5: I'm wet every day i'n wet.
Speaker 3: Devastating. Would you do anything to combat the depression?
Speaker 5: I came back to La a lot.
Speaker 4: I traveled a lot to La I was like, get some sunshine, lord.
Speaker 3: What I mean? I do want to visit Vancouver. It's a wonderful place.
Speaker 5: It's a beautiful place.
Speaker 4: It really is that I'm not no shots in the Vancouver Listener's like, but do you get it?
Speaker 3: They know it.
Speaker 5: Two hundred and sixty five days a year on average.
Speaker 3: That is incredible. Yeah, yeah, it's so bizarre. I can't even imagine. I grew up in a desert now I live in a desert. It's like I just don't understand weather.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, but maybe I.
Speaker 3: Need to experience it at some point two hundred and sixty five days so much. Did you buy galoshes? No?
Speaker 5: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I just had like some boots I bought off sneakers app. But I was like just I was like, what's Nike's version of Range?
Speaker 3: I get these? What is their version of a range?
Speaker 5: Like a kind of duck build?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah, it's like pretty cool.
Speaker 4: They have a few different versions, and it's like it's not like fully rain proof, but it's like it's like rain repellent.
Speaker 3: Like more so than a basketball snake. Yes, yes, more so, but you could probably still play basketball, and you could.
Speaker 4: That might be a little icy because the bottoms are like grip. They have good grip for the slippery even though they were a slippery shoes.
Speaker 3: More that thought they would be good.
Speaker 4: But I was like, there were so many times I'm like almost eight ship with these fucking dug bills.
Speaker 3: Again, the bottoms just is it like a rubber, rubber. Yeah, but it feels like a design all. Yeah it was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't weather them anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got to get more of a sand paper thing or something happening. Sandpaper shoes not a bad idea. I'm always coming up with ideas, looking for the next big thing. Sandpaper shoes. We've got to talk about something else. I have to talk to you about something. Yes, I was really excited to have you on the podcast. Thank you, thrilled. I saw the email echo wonderful. We're going to have a great time. What could possibly go wrong? The podcast is called I said no gifts, and yeah, so I was a little surprised. I'll say I was thrown when I've walked out to my driveway and you were getting out of your car and you were holding what was clearly a gift for me. Yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't know even what to say at this point. It is a little disrespectful. I I agree to that, and I am.
Speaker 4: Apologetic for I come from a place of ass for forgiveness. Not sure, not in everything, not in everything, in a very select few things.
Speaker 3: Podcast.
Speaker 4: Yes, I waserve for podcasts. I'm going to ask for forgiven. So I hope you can forgive me.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm learning about you and this is something i'm learning, and that's fine. Yeah, I mean the gift is here, Yeah, it's yeah. I mean while you're here, it's here. Yeah, I mean I would feel uncomfortable opening it after all. Right, Well we'll open it here on the podcast.
Speaker 5: It here, Okay.
Speaker 3: It's some of this gorgeous best.
Speaker 5: Beautiful Christmas theme.
Speaker 3: Back, very wintry.
Speaker 4: I would say, white is the driven snow with silver hints of of missiletoes and other Christmas type of plants.
Speaker 5: More other Christmas plants.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm pulling it out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh wow. Okay.
Speaker 3: So the first thing I noticed I pulled out a book that is bound on the right side rather than the left.
Speaker 5: Yes, bound on the right, So I.
Speaker 3: Immediately knew it wasn't an American published books, not an American poet. English, I suppose, yes, yes, or English? Yes, I mean, or let's see. Okay, so it is printed English, but it's.
Speaker 4: It's pritted in English, but it's a Japanese manga, which is their version of comic books. Rightly, and you read the opposite side of where we read. We read from left right.
Speaker 3: They read from right to left, right, and it's chainsaw Man.
Speaker 5: It's called chainsaw Man.
Speaker 4: Uh, it's just to me, it's just a fantastic series. Satsuki Fuji Fujimoto, yes, is the creator. He also created this series called fire Punch. But Chainsaw Man, you know, it was a slow burn for me. But I think it's so fun. I've really enjoyed it, and I think it's a story.
Speaker 5: That you could enjoy.
Speaker 4: It really relate to I really relate to. Yeah, I love anime too. It's just very funny. I've had a kind of an anime reawakening in life. I was into a big time as a kid, and recently it's kind of become some of the only like TV that I watch or mangas that are or comics that I read as well.
Speaker 3: I mean, I will say it's interesting to hear something called Chainsaw Man described as a slow burn.
Speaker 4: It was like, yeah, like as a series. So there's right now, there's thirteen books. This is one which has houses multiple comics like actual comics of.
Speaker 3: How they like it, basically multiple episodes, yes, basically.
Speaker 4: Multiple episodes or chapters. They call each comic a chapter. Each book has about like five chapters in it, Okay.
Speaker 3: And then but then there are thirteen books, So yeah, that's a lot of lot. What a journey Chainsaw Man is a journey?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it kind of You can stop at book eleven if you want and get a complete story of the arc that's happening from Chainsawmn book one to eleven if you want, And then book twelve kind of resets a little bit and starts and you see other tertiary characters and all these other people kind of have a little bit of time in the.
Speaker 3: Light soft three boots sort of situation.
Speaker 5: Even though Chainsaw Man is still very prevalent.
Speaker 3: Now, Chainsaw Like the thirteen books, what span of time were they published over?
Speaker 4: Two thousand and eight to twenty twenty The first eleven and book twelve on out have started coming out since twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: Wow, so it's been around for a minute.
Speaker 5: It's been around, Yeah, almost like almost six years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tell me about who tell me about Chainsaw Man as a man?
Speaker 4: Okay, So Chainsaw Man stars this character named Dingy. He is this kind of down on his luck vagrant. His father died when he was young and his debts got passed to his father.
Speaker 5: His father owed death to the Yakuza.
Speaker 4: And so in this world there are these monsters called devils, but they inhabit every detail of everything in our life. So for instance, tomato devil, gun devil, blood devil.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, darkness devil.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, tomato devil is one of the first devils you'll see inside.
Speaker 3: I'm not even kidding.
Speaker 5: And it's so, but it creates. They create this stuff like.
Speaker 4: Based on human things essentially, or I don't know, tomatoes are human thing, it's it's ivering human.
Speaker 5: Yes, inhabit each of these things.
Speaker 4: They're the gods of whatever these things are, essentially. And he, to pay off his debt to the Yakuza, is hired as a devil hunter. He makes friends with this pet chainsaw creature named Pachita. I think that might be there will be, and they're betrayed by the Yakuza. The Yacuza kills him and like gut some like and kills the chainsaw to kills a chainsaw dog. But as as he is dead, his blood like cure devils.
Speaker 5: They need human blood.
Speaker 4: So as he's dead, some of his blood drips into the chainsaw dog's mouth and devils can make contracts with humans. Okay, so they can make a deal. And then he says, I will become your heart. Just give me your dreams, and Dingy says yes, and he thus it becomes chainsaw Man and.
Speaker 3: His dream is to become a man with a chainsaw for ahead.
Speaker 4: I mean it is it is a current dream, it's a it's a living dream he has essentially, But you know it it has a slow burn because sometimes his reasoning for wanting to go forward and do it is like, I'm like, that's your reason. It can feel like a little child or some in some ways. But I think the reason why I say it has a slow burn is you start to realize why he feels this way. Like it feels like I was like, man, this artist just was like I'm gonna do something weird. It's like like I.
Speaker 5: Was like, what did he do this for?
Speaker 4: But it actually started to make sense tomorrow I read it and it started to become like a decent driver, right right, Dingy to push forward. But it's really great, a lot of great characters.
Speaker 3: And does he still have a dog companion?
Speaker 4: The dog lives in his heart now, so the dog becomes his heart. It is his heart. It is his new heart. He has a chainsaw string whenever he needs to switch to chainsaw man to do devil fighting.
Speaker 5: He's a human being.
Speaker 4: He does go about, he gets he can date, he can do this stuff. He gets hired by this group of devil hunters or government run group of devil hunters. Each nation has their own group, right, But devils are like constantly their humanity's biggest threat, right, So they're trying to eradicate the devils of the world so that humans can live in peace.
Speaker 3: I want to get a peek at him as a person, Yeah, get a peek. Is this him? Yeah? And that's the dog yea.
Speaker 4: I was right, cut cut such And there's so much you learned about this dog and what it means and happens later. I dare not spoil it for you.
Speaker 3: I'm very rests. Yeah, there's a lot of like kind of scary things, but also some very cute monsters. Yeah, yeah, okay, And it looks like there's some romance.
Speaker 5: There's some romance. Oh, there is some romance.
Speaker 3: So you're really into manga and anime. Yeah, do you have like a number one favorite?
Speaker 4: My number one favorite right now is Demon Slayer. Okay, Demon Slayer, I think is just absolutely fantastic. The story is gripping, it's also brutal, it's beautiful, it's heart wrenching.
Speaker 3: And this is an anime or manga.
Speaker 4: It's both well anime spawn from mangah, right, so they usually have So Demon Slayer had a run. They did it like a twenty six chapter run, and now they're catching up and building up the anime to be all the chapters of the run.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I I obviously love a lot of anime movies. Yeah, I mean a Zaki movies, all these things. But I've never watched an anime TV show. I know, because there are a billion of them, so many. Where do you begin?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 4: There are some I think right now we're kind of in a really great error for me personally. An anime like Demon Slayer is a really great one, ju Jitsu Kaizen is a really great one.
Speaker 5: Chainsaw Man Heal's Paradise.
Speaker 4: I think these are like some really phenomenal stories that also talk about the human experience.
Speaker 3: And on the way.
Speaker 4: UH deal with love and loss and and they also have a lot of kick ass action and like dope fights and.
Speaker 3: Pictures, and you're reading the opposite direction which is a novelty in myself.
Speaker 4: You're getting those you're getting that credit on your Apple reading daily limit lists as well, and that way.
Speaker 3: I don't know what this is.
Speaker 4: Yeh, So I have like a reading limit that I want to hit every day, just make sure that I'm reading, you know, so I have my just literally said it like five minutes a day, sive minutes a day, like nothing crazy, but I read.
Speaker 5: I try to read every day.
Speaker 3: And then do you get onto the app and tell it you read this?
Speaker 4: You know you got you hit your goal today or you hit your yearly goal, just like let you know, like you've read a lot this month, but we managed you.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It's just like but you like, you have to tell it or it does How does it said?
Speaker 5: I think in books you have to say it.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah yeah, So are you reading most of your stuff on an ips on my iPad? Now it's beginning to make sense.
Speaker 5: I read most of it on iPad?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: Oh yes, that's exactly.
Speaker 3: I was thinking, like, how does the phone know?
Speaker 4: Well, I would have given you a iPad it on it.
Speaker 5: It's just the budget was a little cure.
Speaker 3: That'll be you didn't want the.
Speaker 4: Gift and I didn't want to go that big or you didn't want it.
Speaker 3: You knew you were experience, you were pushing the rules anyway. You didn't want an enormous fight.
Speaker 5: It would be big, big time fight.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's interesting. Yeah, I on my kindle. I don't know if it tracks reading prog or like how much you're doing a day. I should look into that. I'd like something kind of nagging me to read.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like as a gamer, I'm like, of course, like sweet, I read.
Speaker 3: I read forty minutes this week. Yeah, I mean that will do the trick with basically anything at this point is just making it a game.
Speaker 4: I wish we could see the minutes of our lives that we spent doing stuff all the time.
Speaker 3: Could you. I'm actually I anything to do with that number. I don't want anyone seeing it. I would I think I would just collapse upon looking at it.
Speaker 5: But would it? Would it make you adjust some things?
Speaker 3: Probably not, let's be honest. Yeah, yeah, if you were looking at that number, what would your guests be? Like the highest number of minutes that like you've spent doing.
Speaker 5: Something doing something?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've got to lay out of your life say.
Speaker 4: Video games. Okay, probably because or I mean sleep probably is the number one. Sure, but video games as like just a thing that I choose to do that I don't have to do to exist.
Speaker 5: I think that would be number. That's always been like my.
Speaker 3: First love and passion growing up.
Speaker 4: So I racked up a ton of hours as a kid, of course, but then, you know, I think it's a way for me to decompress because my life can be pretty busy sometimes and so it's just nice to just like take a step back and just play a game, be a character or whatever.
Speaker 3: What video games are you playing as a kid?
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean you know Mario Brothers, Selda Great teen Years, Metal Gear Solid, you know, so Golden Eyes, so many. I was, I was playing all the console games going on.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: We had Kaliko Vision It's sorry twenty six hundred, four hundred totograph of sixteen say Genesis Sega and it's I mean we ran a gam.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's incredible, And you're still playing What sort of games are you playing now?
Speaker 5: Right now?
Speaker 4: I'm obsessed with this game called Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven.
Speaker 3: Oh, I haven't familiar.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they have a great animate to that too.
Speaker 4: I haven't watched it yet though because I don't have Netflix, But they have an amazing game that came out three years ago, but they totally blew it when they they rushed it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was kind of in the news as a disasters.
Speaker 4: Interesting to watch, and it's very sad because it is a phenomenal game, not that they've taken the time two years to update everything right, fixed the game, fixed the game, and it's a fantastic game. So it's just it's sad that they rushed it when they really had a banger on their hands.
Speaker 3: So this game, you're basically it's just the future and you're kind of just running around doing whatever you want.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're doing missions as a kind of like you're you're kind of a hired gun initially, and then one event changes the trajectory of your entire life and you have to like figure things out in a really big way.
Speaker 3: What is the event if he dies?
Speaker 4: The event is he dies, then he's rebooted. He installs a chip right before he dies, and then is rebooted. His neural pathways rebooted by the chip when he dies, and now there's a timer on your life before the chip completely takes over your whole brain.
Speaker 5: And then the rest of it.
Speaker 4: It's actually so cool because the whole first act you think it's this one thing, you and your buddy and like you're like getting into the ship and you're like oh yeah, and then it completely changes. You're like whoa and me either.
Speaker 5: I tried it.
Speaker 4: When the first came out, I was like whatever, whatever. I was like, Keanu reads is in his how I don't know, I've seen him. And then that even happens and every player, everybody who thought were big initially, they're all dead. Everyone's fucking dead. Is like dramatic, and you have to pick up the pieces. Yeah, he's in your head. He's the virus that's taken over your brain to essentially replace you to be he will use your body as his vessel.
Speaker 3: Essentially die to have ke take over our bodies. Yeah, I would trust him, trust take over. And I assume you want to want to watch inside, So what what what do you mean watching?
Speaker 4: You're in his brain and this consciousness, but you can't do anything, you can't make movements.
Speaker 5: You just like a kind of loan for the ride.
Speaker 3: I would love it to just lay back and let somebody else do it everything for me.
Speaker 4: But you can say you're in his brain like consciousness, like hey man, what if that's like what's really happening to us?
Speaker 5: Like we died.
Speaker 4: They would just go into each other's consciousness and I'm like this, dude, don't listen, like I don't.
Speaker 3: Don't go there. Oh just short this idiot, you're dad, You're dead.
Speaker 5: And they come up like what I tried to tell you.
Speaker 3: There's a good chance that's happening. We don't know. There might be somebody in my head right now. That is absolutely I mean, they gave up a long time, like, oh this is.
Speaker 5: All now you get it. So now you get it. I'm too done. I'm too dune.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, so okay, so I'm now just trying to clarify. So you're the guy, but Keano's in your head, yes, okay.
Speaker 5: And you can see Keano.
Speaker 4: He manifests himself physically to you, but no one else.
Speaker 5: Can see him.
Speaker 3: Wow, what a delight.
Speaker 4: It's really cool. It's actually very cool how they did that. And how I just shift from act on the act too is just completely shift and you're like, whoa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think i've ever really been surprised by video game like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's always just kind of like this is what you're doing and you'll be doing it for fifty hours. Yeah yeah, which is fine.
Speaker 5: Mm hmmmm hmm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a really fun game. CD Project Read Wichard three is like one of my favorite.
Speaker 5: Games of all time.
Speaker 4: And yeah, the fact that they finally got this and right, I'm like, wow they are. If they can just release stuff when it's ready, they could be one of them.
Speaker 5: They could be like another rock Star.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting new part of video games that we didn't used to have to deal with was video games being released as just a not finished product.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When you know the Nintendo sixty four or whatever, you would just the game that was the game that you bought, and there weren't downloads or anything. Just kind of nice, right, But I guess if they if you've got a bad game, it was just forever.
Speaker 4: True true true, But maybe it made them put more into not making bad games.
Speaker 3: Right, you have to get it right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: There, it's a very like we'll fix it in post, we'll fix it post for the release, we'll fix it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Wow, just send out a product like imagine doing that with a movie. Here's the unfinished movie. But wait Cats Cats?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Cats was the first first I was like, this is wow.
Speaker 3: That's not finished. It needed software up there.
Speaker 5: It was very interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, Cats is a that's a good call. That movie was.
Speaker 4: There was some rough moments everyone's enjoyment.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, rough situation.
Speaker 5: Looked like he was just naked and I was like, what is happening?
Speaker 3: All of those people was blackmailed into doing that film or something happened.
Speaker 5: I'm like, how who convinced to.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 4: I guess was not Andrew Lloyd Webber himself could go walk into someone's home and convinced you did do Cats the movie, But somehow someone did well.
Speaker 3: But let's be honest. If Cats came knocking for me, for anybody, if Cats came knocking for me, I would say, get me in the suit, get me with Dame Judy.
Speaker 4: If Cats came knocking for me, I'm like, Tellico Cats and Cat, jelgo Cat. Of course I used to know that whole song too, Jelica Cats. I was I knew every Cat's part.
Speaker 3: Were you ever in Cats?
Speaker 5: No? I would like a kid, you know.
Speaker 4: Honestly, my first time ever seeing Cats was cast the music of the movie.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, the.
Speaker 4: First time I ever seeing I never even heard jelical cats before. I mean I've heard of cast like Simpsons made fun of Cats. I mean it's been a person whenever that stuff. I've never seen the musical music.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't get into musicals into twenty twelve.
Speaker 4: So my first one was Book of Mormons. Yeah, I saw where Andrew Reynolds and Josh gat and they blew me away.
Speaker 5: I was like, this, this is what musicals can be.
Speaker 4: Big Matt Stone and Trey Parker for I was like, oh my god, I gotta see it. And since then I've become completely obsessed, obsessed, obsessed, obsessed. So when I was like, oh, this comeing to me movies, I was like, oh, you know, this probably be my only chance to really see it. Right, So I was like, I'm going to ask these girls, like, let's go see a movie this go day. I was like, oh, Cats is all. I was like, let's go see a musical. She's like, Okay, this is really funny. She's like okay, She's like, are you gay.
Speaker 3: I'm like no, I just like what am I doing that could possibly seem gay. But I also like, who are you dating?
Speaker 4: Where someone wanted to see a musical means that, like, it's just football players, not just like jocks. I can't like art like Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: I mean, Cats was truly for everybody.
Speaker 5: It was for everyone. It was for everyone. But we enjoyed it. She enjoyed it. I mean we didn't enjoy it.
Speaker 4: It was bad, but we enjoyed going to see it, like it was like it was nice to watch the train Wreck, you know.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't know that in any medium that anyone's first experience with Cats is like, oh, what an incredible show?
Speaker 5: No way?
Speaker 3: Yeah, even on stage, it's like, no, this is a thing, a very odd thing that's happening. Yeah, so why not have it be a CG nightmare?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Why not? Do you think they should do it practical?
Speaker 3: Oh? I would love a practical. That should be a song for the musical practical.
Speaker 5: Stagelical Cats practical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god, Andrew start writing.
Speaker 4: I would listen to Jellico Cats on repeat every morning in the pandemic, like the first.
Speaker 3: Of what was going on? I should ask are you gay?
Speaker 5: But I was just obsessed. I learned the whole song.
Speaker 4: I would just sing it in like I was thinking of pandemic seriously. So I wasn't leaving home except to go grocery shopping, and I might I was kind of having the time of life too, because like it was just me and my friends were just like playing a lot more video games because there was nothing else.
Speaker 3: To do, to do nothing, yeah or mere.
Speaker 4: Friends would just watch movies together over like FaceTime or whatever, Netflix, watch parties and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: But I just saw Cats had just come out time.
Speaker 3: Winter of nineteen. Yeah, yeah, first sign.
Speaker 4: Yeah, something was wrong, something was about, something was about to happen, but it just was somehow it just became my theme. Whenever I will up, I would just bump Jellicle Cats like on good speakers and just fucking sing it.
Speaker 5: I have videos of it. I was just I never released.
Speaker 4: Them because I was like, people don't need to see me like this, but I was loving it.
Speaker 3: Oh that's great. It was that that like on the soundtrack or did you put that in a playlist? What was the next song that? Okay?
Speaker 4: Oh, so I would go from that to like Wis Khalifa's Outer Space Transition, you know. Yeah, so those were on heavy repeat.
Speaker 5: During the pandemic, the early pandemic day.
Speaker 3: I feel like Cats is probably full of good samples for rap.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: I wonder if anybody's ever sampled Cats.
Speaker 4: Maybe there needs to be a Cat album, a Cat sampled album.
Speaker 3: If I mean there, it's there for the and it's ripe, it's right. Yeah, of course, I wonder if you moved back, you're now, I mean, you are in full sunlight. Look at this.
Speaker 4: This is better now, just crossed underneath the.
Speaker 3: The echo is uncomfortable, physically suffering.
Speaker 5: No, you know, I can take this off, do whatever you want to do, because.
Speaker 3: I have an under I have a little This is a great. Look. Now you're in a really summary Look, okay, transitions from winter to summer easily.
Speaker 5: This is okay?
Speaker 3: Should we uh we can like rotate this way and you could go over there. It's I mean, this podcast is largely about physical movement. It's about in the body. Yeah, yes, just being aware of ourselves physically in a space we occupy. Yes, so we've now switched positions. Yes, we're talking about Cats.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 3: What other musicals do you like?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Like, I look, I like a lot of musicals the last two year probably was seeing like per years, probably seeing like forty musicals or plays.
Speaker 3: Forty yeah four zero, like the.
Speaker 4: Whole I would see all the musicals wow the season like in New.
Speaker 3: York, which I move into New York's. I was a bikostal.
Speaker 4: I was back and forth and it was just I would see like two music is a week, like just I would rush tickets. I would like try to get too. I wasn't just like sometimes i'd sit in the mezzanine. I didn't care, like if I was always in the org. Especially got to a point where I was I don't care about being an extra. I just want to see that. I just want to see the play or the musical. But one of my favorite most recent plays Strange Loop Oh, that was fantastic.
Speaker 3: I mean heard nothing but so good.
Speaker 4: I think I saw it five times in as run because I was just like I just wanted to see, you know, a part of like the first three times I saw it.
Speaker 5: First time, I meant to see it.
Speaker 4: Second time it was just a friend was like, you told me about the show, so I said, I got a chicken. I was like, hell, yeah, I'll go see it. And then the third time, like a friend came into town. I was like, what should I see it? I was like, strange loop, you know what I'm saying. So we went and then the thing that happened was I wanted to get the entire cast back, so I kept going back to see that. It's like collecting yeah, because it was like COVID stuff, and some people could so I couldn't get those other times the full complete set. So I was going back to like complete set because they all were.
Speaker 5: So indistinctly phenomenal.
Speaker 4: And this is nothing not a shot against the very very critical understudies, who were right, of course, fantastic, still the top of their game, yes still, but everyone's voice the original cast was just so interesting and unique that even when there was an understudy, I felt it glaringly missing that unique voice.
Speaker 3: Wow, except for the lead.
Speaker 4: The lead Jack kel Spevie was I think that's how you pronounce his name was absolutely fantastic, and Cal Freeman was equally as fantastic. So either one of them, I'm like, I'll take either lead. It was just the thoughts the other six. I was like, I need to have the original.
Speaker 3: Six And did you eventually get that?
Speaker 5: Nope?
Speaker 3: I never got it again. I never got the full.
Speaker 4: I never got the full because I think Antoine, who played Thought five, I think he kind of left toward the end.
Speaker 5: He didn't.
Speaker 4: I just I justn't think it was that any of the shows really. I didn't see him posting about it anymore. So I don't really know how they're internally there. I think there was something, let's just be honest.
Speaker 5: So then he didn't come back.
Speaker 4: My last two times I didn't see him, and I was just like, oh man, because he just had and you know, I miss Jason Veasley one time and he just brought so much, Like just each one of them was just like.
Speaker 3: You are absolutely perfect for these parts.
Speaker 4: And if if there's even a little at it, I just felt like you they weren't have to fuel fire, even though it's still an amazing show, Like Michael Jackson wrote a fantastic show.
Speaker 5: The music is a banger. We want to know. My favorite one when the parents like was having in New York so good.
Speaker 4: I love that, I really love I mean, ain't no mo was great though we got a three three week, four week one, but I got to see it on this last night. Just crazy. I saw everything I saw thing. The minutes was a fantastic play.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, yeah, we're getting into territory and like I haven't.
Speaker 4: Heard oh my god, yeah this this is like kind of a deep cut. I didn't expect that. I'm just like, oh, I guess I should see something. I was like around, like, oh, what happen to say? I haven't seen the minute? Let me see this, and it blew me away. It was just like a town having a meeting about town business, Like they're just like the city council. Oh, and them trying to they're taking the minutes in a minute, and then it just turned.
Speaker 5: To all this crazy deceit.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like zig when it's I was like I was expecting a whole another thing. And then by the end, they're all dripping blood from their mouth because they're like some type of cult and it's like saying it now like this sounds insane, but in.
Speaker 5: The show was like, how the way when did this more?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it has been It's like you realize like, oh my god, I've been on this journey and holy shit, you motherfuckers are wild.
Speaker 3: Keano is in one of those people's heads.
Speaker 4: He's in one of their heads. He's definitely a construct in their heads. I've literally seen.
Speaker 3: You should become a critic, like a secret critic.
Speaker 4: I think a part part of my problem is that sometimes I'm just like, oh, I like.
Speaker 5: Everything, Like I like, I really enjoyed that. That was cool. So I'm like, oh, I don't know if I would be able to be tough enough.
Speaker 4: You know, I did see a play out here that I left after the second.
Speaker 3: Rough, especially when somebody like who truly loves anything walks away, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was like, oh no, and I wanted to stay though I had to leave, but because something else. But I was like, but it was just so bad. It was like to me, it was like if chat GPT two not even four was told to write a play about black trauma.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, and every trope was in this play. It was like just checking off a list.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Gay Sons was to be a basketball player, was paid by a dand sister who died, and the horrible thing that happened with the kids, brother in jail, Daddy having a fair on mama. Mama schizophrenia dying from her brain disease. Auntie, I was asking Daddy on Mama, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I was just like one or two.
Speaker 4: Now, No, I'm like, dude, you're like throwing every single trope.
Speaker 5: Of black trauma into this play, and it's impurating me.
Speaker 3: At least call it out.
Speaker 4: It was just I was like, there was like parts where it's like he's mad and it's like the drums are sitting there.
Speaker 5: I was like, he bet and I played them drums.
Speaker 4: He better not, but I'm like, no, stop it.
Speaker 3: It was just like everything.
Speaker 6: I was like, like, there was one part where I mean, my friend too, she's a big Broadway person too. We like saw plays out in New York, so we were excited for this one. And I remember the part where the brother's in jail, the sun is gay pussy a basketball player but wants to play ballet, and the brother's older friend has been like helping around the house and blah bah blah. Turns out of course he's having sex with the son. Oh sure, right, and so they start making out and now we saw this old time.
Speaker 5: I was like, they bet, and I'll start making up. There they gonna they start making.
Speaker 4: Out and there's two older woman next to me, Like I did not see that coming be like what say that? Like, we were just like you got so we just left, like we gotta go, we gotta go. I was like, oh yeah, I had to go. She we left after act one. I convinced her to come back for acting inion. Well it was three acts rest of all, so Act one happened. She was like, I can't do it. We have to go act go. I was like what, She's like, we can't stay in this. I was like, oh man, because I'm like I want to stay for the train wreck. Act two. I convince her we're having lunch. I was like, we gotta go back. Can we just go back, Let's just go back. She's like, okay, fine, let's go back.
Speaker 5: Act two. We go back. It's even wilder, a lot of se just we're like, oh my god. Act three.
Speaker 4: I had to go because I had like an appointment somewhere. She stayed for Act three.
Speaker 3: I had an appointment somewhere. You were planning to not be at the same anyway.
Speaker 4: I didn't notice it was gonna be like three and a half hours long. I think it was the thing and I was like, oh my god, like I have to be five like my Lasik. But she watched the third act and then was like the thing happened and blah blah blah the boy died blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Bad end.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, oh my god, no, I'm not going to say if if you've seen the play, you know what play I'm talking about, I'm gonna say the name of it.
Speaker 3: But I feel like there are certainly enough details at this point that people know.
Speaker 4: At this I was just like, no offense to any people's colors near both was like, a white person have to write this. I was like, it just had to be a white person and it was not.
Speaker 3: It was I wrote that play. It was my first player.
Speaker 4: I was just like, there's no way, like a black person would be tone deaf like this.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: It would have been recommended to you or did you just see Literally the friend who recommended me to go see Ain't No Mo, which was brilliantful Broadway, saw this play.
Speaker 5: And was raving about I saw I saw them posted.
Speaker 3: I was like, is it good? She's like yes.
Speaker 5: I was like, we're done. So her friend and me went to go see it.
Speaker 4: Together because we saw her posts were like, let's go see it, and we FaceTime her act one, like.
Speaker 5: What the heck, Like, what's this show? She's like, no, it gets better than I to try to acting was even worse to.
Speaker 4: Act when I was like whoa anyway, But but you still got to respect that this person got it made.
Speaker 3: Maybe it has a place.
Speaker 4: But you know, like I've seen stuff that I'm like I didn't like, Like, you know, I saw a slave play and I was like, I don't really like this, like.
Speaker 5: But it just I just didn't.
Speaker 4: It just made me feel right, But I wasn't like visially like I'm not.
Speaker 3: This is horrible.
Speaker 4: What I was like, I don't agree with this, this isn't but this I was just like, you gotta be kidding me. You've got to me, yeah, like why are you forcing everything? We don't have to deal with every act?
Speaker 3: Oh my, and at least get it done in two acts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to acts drag me through a third and a half hours. Harry Potter and the Blood Moan Prince or whatever that new show, The Curse Prince.
Speaker 3: You're alter the Blood Moon Prince.
Speaker 5: I think that actually is real. But I would just see that.
Speaker 4: On Broadway recently and I was like, oh, let me see this, and it's a three hour and forty five. I was an hour two, like, man, is this wrapping up soon? Like that's a just a dumb I didn't look up the time for it, and I.
Speaker 3: Was literally like that doesn't work for me much like.
Speaker 5: I can't do it. I can't see flower kill at the flower moment I want to see. It's so bad.
Speaker 3: I didn't see that.
Speaker 5: Three hours and thirty minutes a long movie.
Speaker 3: And I usually my new rule is to leave halfway through a three hour movie, regardless of what it is. Yeah, but I sat through that. Yeah, but over three hours? What are we doing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna watch it. It's coming tomorrow to digital downloads. I wanted to see you'll be able to sit still. I'll watch like half and then come back the next day or something like that.
Speaker 5: Problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a movie of that length at home will never happen for me. Yeah, yeah, I mean, or it will take twelve weeks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 3: I have to find myself in a theater trapped.
Speaker 5: Yeah, can't escape if I have.
Speaker 3: Somebody with me, even better, just because some responsibility and I'm like got at least say for them. Yeah, because three hours is too much, too much, I shouldn't be able to travel halfway across the country with your movie. No way, probably more than a halfway. I mean it's a disaster. Yeah, no, it's ninety minutes.
Speaker 4: Please, oh two hours in under like my friend, my friend, even with like no offense, like even with plays and musicals too. I'm like, you do not have to do a three hour two forty five. Like, give me two hours an under no intermission. Lah, I'm in heaven. I'm in heaven.
Speaker 3: Incredible. Then you've got the rest of the night.
Speaker 4: Ain't no more and strangers, we're both like ninety two one hundred minutes. I don't know, the blessed. That's not why they were my favorites.
Speaker 3: They were, but it didn't hurt, didn't hurt.
Speaker 4: But that's why I could go see that so many times, like because it's like, oh, seven o'clock show them out by nine, you know what I'm saying. It's like eight o'clock show, out by ten. You go on a weekend eight o'clock show, you're out of eleven thirty is.
Speaker 3: Just like over three hours. That's a once in a lifetime experience. Yeah, yeah, never to be done again. Yeah, Yeah, I don't know that I've ever rewatched a three hour movie.
Speaker 5: I don't think I have.
Speaker 4: And there's three hours movies I've enjoyed, like Irishman I thought was great.
Speaker 5: Oppenheimer I like, but I'm like not chopping at this.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine what world would I sit and watch Oppenheimer again? Where I mean body Cast?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no way, that movie should have been two and twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: Could were. There were a lot of moments when I was thinking, didn't need this that.
Speaker 4: Whole, Like last act, I was like, I don't wire. I already saw the thing like not care about you and Robert Downey Junior's beef.
Speaker 3: I don't care. I just don't. Let me give me the little text. Yeah, just tell me what happened me please?
Speaker 5: You can say then the text, you know, like a yeah text.
Speaker 3: You know every movie should end with that text. Give me a little hint to what happened, regardless of what sort of movies.
Speaker 5: Yeah they should.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even animated movies. I could get into that.
Speaker 5: I could get into that. Yeah, I could too.
Speaker 3: I think we should play a game. Okay, I need a number between one and ten from you.
Speaker 5: Seven.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have to do some light calculating right now. To get our game pieces. You can recommend, promote, talk to the listener, say what you want.
Speaker 4: Don't forget to find time for yourself and life to do the things you love. Hobbies are big time. I'm into hobbies. Say help. The monotony of things going on in life flow through quite easily. Pick up a camera, take a photo, go not hike, find a cool coffee shop where you can sit and write and just do life. Hang out with friends, go see movies, shows, take road trips. The surfing lesson is waiting.
Speaker 5: Do it.
Speaker 4: Just follow your passions and life will open up for you in so many ways. And do right by yourself, your body and your health, and that also will open up so many aspects.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean you're a star. You know you could have easily just done a bunch of self promotion. You're guiding our listeners in the there and their lives are messes. They're all you know.
Speaker 4: I'm imagining that if they keep coming back to a place where people are constantly disrespecting you by.
Speaker 3: Getting a gift, they must be Yeah, every one of them are reck, total wreck. This is how we play gift Master. I'm gonna name three celebrities, three people and three gifts. You're gonna tell me which gift you would give which celebrity and why make perfect sense? Okay? Today, the celebrities we have are number one usher, number two the predator. So that's uh, we all know the predator. Household name. Number three, Hillary Swank.
Speaker 5: I know who that is.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's all we need.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: Frequently the guest does not even know who the person is and I don't either, and that's fine. We don't need to know every celebrity. The gifts you're giving are number one a healthy habit, so you'll be giving them a healthy habit in their life. Number two garbage can, and number three a down on its luck farm.
Speaker 4: M I'm gonna give the predator a healthy habit because it's got to be tough to be a predator. It's got to be high stress, like even though you're good at what you do, like you're hoting in trees all day, it's.
Speaker 3: Got to take a lot on you.
Speaker 4: You got to take a toll on So I hope he gets a healthy habit, maybe like eating salads every once in a while, taking a job. Can you imagine a predator just jogging like that would be fun, not just.
Speaker 5: Jogging like hey, Frank.
Speaker 3: Walking through a mall.
Speaker 4: He murdered your wife. He predatored your wife because you said they predator him.
Speaker 5: They predatored him.
Speaker 3: The the what is it?
Speaker 5: The open farm?
Speaker 3: Down on its luck farm.
Speaker 4: I would give Usher a down on his luck farm. I think Usher needs to pull back from a spotlight just a little bit. He's in Vegas. He's that that. You know, he's just working so much too. You know, I could have given him a good healthy habit too, But I think he needs some down on the farm time. He needs to like grow some hay.
Speaker 3: Get he needs to get back to just connect with the earth.
Speaker 5: He needs to get get.
Speaker 4: A cow, have like four chickens where he's like eating eating eggs every day, you know, justly supplying a family.
Speaker 3: She would really appreciate that. I think he would, like anyone who's like trapped in a casino.
Speaker 4: Yeah, mega millions NonStop, like he deserves that. And then the garbage can. I guess I'm gonna give it to Hillary Swain.
Speaker 3: Silence after that, I.
Speaker 5: See her face, my head.
Speaker 3: All picture Hillary.
Speaker 5: I'm like, what movie was she she was in?
Speaker 3: Some movie?
Speaker 4: I think like an alien was gonna do something. I think I'm not confusing her with Amy Adams.
Speaker 3: These are the two things I know she's in. Yeah, million Dollar Baby, Yes, that's right. She's a boxer, and most recently something called Alaska Daily, which was a drama on ABC that I became kind of obsessed with because it was a drama on ABC. Oh wow, yeah, very fun to watch. Yeah, but those are the two things I know her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she wasn't million dollar Baby, but a good actor. Good actor in that face you said that baby was like, yeah, that's it. That's what I thought it was. Yeah, she because she probably has like trash that she needs to.
Speaker 3: Throw out, right, she's probably producing so much, so much just opening packages and just trash all of our house, like just litter bug all of our house.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's that's the secret. That's the story anyway going on about her. Of course I read it onlineal litter bug, cereal litter bug.
Speaker 3: This woman will not stop dropping.
Speaker 4: Throw stuff at the trash, but not into it from one of her So give her that trash, can Hillary, if you're listening, change your ways, yes please?
Speaker 3: That should be her renaissances. Yeah, throwing away garbage, garbage in the garbage. She should that'll probably spark some things far yeah, yeah, yeah, well beautifully played. Excellent. This is the final segment of the podcast. It's called I said no emails people write into I said no gifts at gmail dot com begging for help, desperate as we you know, we were talking about, their lives are a disaster. Okay, yeah, so people need help, You're confused. They just need advice, So well, help me answer a questions? Sure, yeah, all right, let's see here. This is deer bridger and well meaning but rude guest seems appropriate. I have a philosophical gift giving question for you that feels relevant with the winter holidays coming up. Well, this is airing in January, so but that winter holidays are always coming up. My husband and I prefer to give experiences as gifts concerts, theater outings, comedy shows, et cetera. But there are a couple things that hang me up about these gifts. Number One, if you are purchasing two tickets to a concert, are both tickets the gift or is only one person's ticket the gift? For example, I would spend around two hundred dollars on my husband for Christmas. But if one ticket is one hundred dollars and we both plan on attending, I've already spent that two hundred dollars budget. And number two, how far ahead of or after a holiday, birthday, et cetera. Can tickets still be considered a gift for that occasion? For example, if I gift someone tickets in December for an event in March, is that still considered a Christmas gift? Thank you for your kind consideration, odra A U d r A. That's gotta be awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I think that's odre.
Speaker 3: These are good questions, So I actually these are things that are that people need to consider.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people need to consider number For the second part, the timing of the gift does matter, even if it's not a gift you can't cash in till later. If you are gifted a gift on Christmas, even though that gift might not happen to March, I still think accounts, especially if that gift in March is something that you want a concert. It's like if I give you Stevie Nikkets Stevie Nickas, if I give you Stevie Nickas tickets.
Speaker 3: We all know.
Speaker 4: Stevie Nicklas great artists, and that's still a gift, right, Yes, as long as it's not like something for me.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: But because now that goes back to the first question.
Speaker 3: But let's let's focus on this for a moment, because but like, what if the what if whatever, the Stevie Nicketts and Fleetwood back are performing in August and you give it on Christmas.
Speaker 4: That's too far, too far, that's too far. There has to be a statue of limitations.
Speaker 3: I think it's a rounding up situation.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think if it's the first six months of the year, that's closer to the Christmas. If it's the next six months, it's closer to the other Christmas.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I have a saying that goes before three t I mean before three months.
Speaker 3: It's good. You know you did a.
Speaker 5: Little fun laugh TI.
Speaker 3: You know you've always said that.
Speaker 5: I've always said that that didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay that I think that feels safe. Now. The other thing is very interesting to me. Yes, if you buy two tickets and one is for yourself, is that part of the gift budget or is that I have an opinion I want to hear YOURSLF.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, gift budget is interesting to me, but I guess people do that, which is totally fine. But to me, it's like it doesn't have to be an exact Apples for Apple right gifts no judgment, like you shouldn't judge me if you know whatever, But I do think you need to put some thought into it. I would say it depends if you want to go see Beyonce's Renaissance tour because she's your favorite artist and you listen to her NonStop, and you really want to go with me, and he want us to get and you want to get tickets, and I give you on your birthday Beyonce Renaissance tickets and I'm the one going with you. I still think that counts unless we both love Beyonce right equally? Yes, right, So I think it would depend on right, is it a gift truly for you or is it for us?
Speaker 5: Right? Because I think if it's just for you, then yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: I think if it's if the giver, let's say the giver doesn't even want to go, yes, and they buy two tickets, then it's a gift. But if the giver does want to go, you're just buying you would have bought it anyway. Yeah, that's part of the budget.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which is why I'm like those gifts should just let's get rid of those. That's not a Christmas, that's not in a budget, that's not that. I'll just do something different and then we'll still go to do that, right.
Speaker 3: I was going to go anyway, and now I bought your tickets.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you can't count your enjoyment as part of their no presence, and.
Speaker 4: You might enjoy the Beyonce concert even if you don't, even if you're not like Jones and the go I did this recently.
Speaker 5: I went to the Beyonce concert. I did too, and it was fun.
Speaker 4: But it's not like I'm not like, Ooh, Renaissance tours coming up, you know.
Speaker 3: I'm just like, oh, there's a nice tick.
Speaker 5: Yes, sure I'll go. You know.
Speaker 3: Is that how your That was my experience. My friend said, do you want to go to Beyonce tonight? I was like, well, of course I do.
Speaker 4: Well no, my girlfriend definitely wanted Beyonce tickets, so it was like she wants to got a renaissance tour. So I was like, I will get us tickets, you know, But I went with her, but it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Like it wasn't your priority.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was like, Beyonce is a fantastic artists. All you might have some fantastic.
Speaker 3: They are leaving horrible reviews and I loved it.
Speaker 4: It was so fun. The concert was so fun. But I just think it just the context man is right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that we came together in a beautiful way on this. I think. I mean, let's be honest, Audra just came with some things that she should have known. Yeah, these are some she's just begging for attention. Yeah, she knows the answer to both of those. They were in her heart the entire time, and she just wanted to write into the podcast.
Speaker 5: Shame, I mean shame. I can't blame her, but also shame.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Odra, you have your answers that you already had, and you basically cheated the podcast. She's stealing from the podcast. Yeh, she's stealing our listeners time. So shame, Yeah, shame, But there are the answers for hopefully somebody else learned something. Mm hmmm hmm, echo what a I mean, this has been wonderful. I've got I have something to read, chainsaw man, I've never read manga before. Maybe this will open something in my brain.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe.
Speaker 3: And we answered Odder's question. Yeah, I mean Usher is gonna be picking strawberries or something in no time. He's gonna be having the time of his life.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The garbage situation has been dealt with. Yeah, and I can remember the other two. Predator's jogging through.
Speaker 5: President just shogging a little healthy habit.
Speaker 3: Everyone's like he's gonna kill it. Oh no, he's just working. Oh oh, he's finally taking care of him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was getting a little old. The little bunch was coming out, don't you think Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: He's getting ready for.
Speaker 4: He's been missing all his spirit. Throws at me. I've hit me in years. He's fallen off. The brenad has fallen off. Honey, he can save the outside again.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for being Thank you so much. Listener. I mean, you've you're almost at the bottom of the mountain. This has been the ski trip of your life. You've survived. You thought you were going to freeze to death and the wilderness, but you're going to make it and you're going to appreciate life even more. The podcast is over. Get going, do whatever you need to do. It's over. I love you, goodbye, I said, No Gifts is an exactly right production. It's produced by our dear friend Analise Nelson, and it's beautifully mixed by Ben Holliday. And we couldn't do it without our guest booker, Patrick Kottner. The theme song, of course, could only come from miracle worker Amy Mann. You must follow the show on Instagram at I said no gifts. I don't want to hear any excuses. That's where you get to see pictures of all these gorgeous gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see pictures of the gifts?
Speaker 4: And invit?
Speaker 3: Did you hear?
Speaker 2: Fun? A man myself perfectly clear. When you're a guest to me, you gotta come to me empty.
Speaker 1: And I said, no, guest, your own presence is presents enough. I already had too much stuff, So how do you dare to surbey me