Speaker 1: The Season with Peter Scheger is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. What's Up, everybody, Welcome to the season with Peter Schrager. We are in the thick of it in the NFL preseason now. Every single team has played and as we record this, there was a flurry of action around the NFL yesterday and I want to hit two of the key moves, the first one being Dalvin Cook signing with the New York Jets.
Speaker 2: I think everyone's immediate reaction.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh, okay, wow, like they're there, and what's that mean about breethol I can tell you this, Dalvin Cook is going to be.
Speaker 2: A part of a committee.
Speaker 1: They're going to rotate who hands the ball, and they're going to ride the hot hand when it's appropriate. Dalvin Cook is a nice to have, not a need to have. Speaking with my Jets sources over the last several weeks, they were always very interested.
Speaker 3: In Dalvin Cook.
Speaker 1: In fact, they brought him to practice a couple Sundays ago and it was the practice that I happened to be at and they let him just walk freely. Basically, everybody want be in the state in the building, on the field talk to whoever. And he was there tapping up the coaches and dapping up Rogers and Heyan Rodgers spoke for a while, but my big takeaway was watching him. He was basically chaperoned by Woody Johnson and Christopher Johnson.
Speaker 2: Are the two owners of the team. I thought it was interesting.
Speaker 1: Because at the same time Dalvin Cook is talking with the Dolphins and at the same time Dalvin Cook is talking to the Broncos. These are AFC rivals, one of them in the division, one of them in the AFC West, and I'm wondering what in the heck is going on, And I thought it was interesting. The Jets guys told me they wanted Dalvin to get a feel for what's going on here, that they are really confident in the vibe and that there is a contagious factor to the energy that this team has right now. And they thought, if Dalvin's considering us and it's gonna be us for his other teams, let him know what he could have if he joins this school here. In the end, that energy was unreal that day. That was the day that Alan Lazard caught a touchdown in the back of the end zone fans were there channing Aaron Rodgers and it was that back to Football weekend with the NFL, and the juice was electric and the numbers worked out. I think eight point six million, But to be completely candid, it's more than I expected him having as a max contract. It's seven base and then he can make one point six more.
Speaker 3: I thought that this late in.
Speaker 1: The game August fourteenth, there wasn't a long line of suitors who were bidding for him, that maybe you would have to take a discount. That is not a discount, yes against nineteen ninety five, rationally speaking running back to other positions maybe, but in twenty twenty three and August fifteenth, to sign a deal for eight point six million dollars of a running back when you're not necessarily the number one guy, that's pretty good money.
Speaker 2: So how is he going to be used?
Speaker 1: I think Breas Hall is still still targeted for a Week one and I think he and Breshall both are going to get featured in a lot of ways. And I still think Brishall might be the number one guy. So Dalvin Cook Bristol, they love Michael Carter who's there. They drafted a rookie at a pit. Is he he can scoot Bam Knight was good for them last year. This's a loaded running backs room. I don't think this is okay Dalvin Cook thirty carries in a game go, But I do think there's an opportunity for Dalvin Cook to get ten to fifteen carries early on, maybe fifteen to twenty carries going, and it does make the Jets much better. I'm bringing in my wonderful producer and friend, Aaron wang Kaufman from an objective standpoint, not a Jets fan standpoint, but in your case, a Bills fan standpoint, which might not be really objective at all, but you know what I mean, not a fan of the team. Does it feel like this is a oh that I must have? Or does this feel like it's a guy who's at the blackjack table and it's like got sixteen and he's like, ah, why not, we're feeling good, let's hit.
Speaker 4: It feels a lot like just a totally different mindset for the Jets. And I think of it a lot like Brady, you know where kind of Brady went to the bucks and was like I want to win, Like, get me the pieces and Rogers coming in and you had the interview with him where he he was like, I'm gonna take less money because I want to put the best players around me. It feels it feels like like an all Star team and it's scary, and like, you know that doesn't Yeah, you mentioned i isy Abanacanda, you mentioned Bam Knight, who I really like. Michael Carter's still there.
Speaker 5: Like they have a.
Speaker 4: Lot of guys and it's not even mentioning Breeze Hall.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're loaded at running back. Their biggest issue is going to be the offensive line. But that's so many teams in the league, and every team's an injury away from their line being a thing. Look, I know fans have been getting on me since the Rodgers interview that I've been you know.
Speaker 3: Pro Jets, Like it's not because of that.
Speaker 1: The Jets are really good this year. The Jets are playoff team this year. Like, they are really good this year and this makes them even better.
Speaker 3: So that's the Jets side of it.
Speaker 1: But a couple hours before that, Ezekiel Elliott signed with the Patriots, and I like that signing too.
Speaker 5: Six million dollars.
Speaker 1: That is a bargain for a guy like Ezekiel Elliott who was hurt last year.
Speaker 3: And again similar situation.
Speaker 1: What I was saying with Cook and Hall, this does not mean ramondre Stevenson is not the number one guy. They love ramondre Stevens, and I know people at that building that are like, our offense is going to be what we get out of Mac Jones in the passing game, and it's gonna be based around ramondre Stevens. And you know, add Ezekiel Elliott and now you've got two running backs, you've got a solid offensive line, and they did add some some strength that receiver. That's better than last year. And Bill o'bryan's called the shots. So Patriots quietly adding Ezekiel Elliott for six million dollars on August fifteenth.
Speaker 2: I like that too.
Speaker 1: And with that, as we record this podcast today, I just got the note that Anthony Richardson is going to be the starter in Indianapolis, which is really interesting considering his age, his experience in college, not even close to some of the other quarterbacks that were drafted in the first round, and what he has around him not exactly an elite wide receivers unit. And we don't know what's up with Jonathan Taylor, so thrown him to the wolves a little bit. But you know what we've learned time and time again, sometimes he got a sink or swim. They're going with that method and the Colts are going to start. Anthony Richardson, who threw an ugly pick six that looked really technically wrong over the weekend, but also had a beautiful pass deep that was incomplete but was everything was done right on his end. NFL News, it is coming, it is going, It is all over the place, is updates day to day, and we are in the thick of it already. And yet today is a special day for a friend of mine. Jared Freed is a stand up comedian. He has been doing this for thirteen years.
Speaker 3: He has been doing open mic nights for years.
Speaker 1: He's been traveling the country for years, and this week Jared's got a special coming to Netflix. This is a major deal for a comedian, huge placement. We know the reach of Netflix, and for any comedian to get this opportunity is really cool deal. And I'm proud of Jared who has been hacking away at it for years and now this is his moment. So with no further ado, a comedian with some football ties, you'll see what I mean.
Speaker 3: Mister Jared Freed.
Speaker 2: Our guest is a friend of mine.
Speaker 1: But long before we got to know each other, I was a big fan of his comedy and his work. And he's got a special that is hitting Netflix today today, a Netflix special it's called thirty seven and single. There are football ties to our relationship. Let's bring in the great Jared Free. Jared, what's up?
Speaker 6: Man, shregs. Thank you so much. It is such a pleasure to be here with you. It is like, uh, it's amazing. Because I was saying to someone else, I was like, I you rarely make an adult friend. Yes, you know, And I feel like I can say it confident. We've become friends and that, you know, that means a lot, Like you know, you don't go on like like we went and got dinner, and I was like, I don't think I can remember a time that I had like a first dinner friend date.
Speaker 1: It's not common, it's not something that most men do. But it was one of those deals where we had been texting, we have been dming, we have been laughing at each other stuff. I came on your podcast and I'm like, we should go out in New York City and then we just did.
Speaker 3: We're like, let's just go do it. And that is I'm secure in that I loved it.
Speaker 5: I loved it. I loved every second of it.
Speaker 6: It made me like mad at myself that I don't do it more often. Just two guys gabbing about Jewish summer camp and you know, and people we know in common, like it really felt like and and you know, it's funny if you go to a if you go to a restaurant like I, I do a lot of like a Loane eating. Not to make myself sound sad, the name of the special is thirty seven and single. Yes, this all sounds sad, but when you're at a dinner place and you have your headphones in and you look around a restaurant, it is all female friendships.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is not one. There's very few times.
Speaker 6: Where you see two dudes just talking fantasy football, talking, you know, talking sharing the hot gossip like Choke, the spinachen art We we base made out. You know, we ate from the same spinning Gennarto Choke dip cauldron.
Speaker 5: So that's you know, that's that's that's enough for me.
Speaker 1: Well, I think at you're a stand up comedian, and what I love is that we we I went on your podcast. I'm like, I really like this guy's stuff, and it was oddly similar to my world in the broadcasting world, and that it's like.
Speaker 3: Dogg eat dog.
Speaker 2: You're doing your own thing.
Speaker 1: But you said it, you're like politicians, comedians and broadcasters. We are the three people that travel all over the country and see the darkest regions.
Speaker 3: Of the of this fine place.
Speaker 5: We see the whole country.
Speaker 6: That's a Michelle Wolf thing that I extended to broadcasters because when we were sitting together.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh, you know, it's Michelle O.
Speaker 6: Wolf always said politicians and comedians see the whole are the only people that see the whole country. And then I was thinking of you, and I was like, you're in that group too, like we see. You know, not many people spend a weekend in Buffalo, even though we know Buffalo from football world, Like you know, we know Buffalo and Green Bay because they are famous from football. They are not famous from city and then they had a football team like it, So not many people And again I've just turned off all of Buffalo. They're the most sensitive town in the world. They're a bunch of babies.
Speaker 2: I always a comedy town.
Speaker 3: Do they come out it stinks?
Speaker 5: Well they come out.
Speaker 6: No, let me just say this, I don't none of them will hear me beyond it stinks. I they are just Buffalo needs you to love Buffalo?
Speaker 5: Got it? Buffalo?
Speaker 6: Kind of when you go on stage, it's like if you don't say start your set by saying, let me hey, everybody, I love it here, love.
Speaker 5: The wings, love the wings.
Speaker 6: You guys are great. Oh my god, you're you're the underdog. Oh who couldn't cheer for the bills. If you don't say that before you start your act, they won't let you do your act.
Speaker 5: It's just they're very sensitive.
Speaker 6: And the worst type of sensitive people are the ones that don't think they're sensitive.
Speaker 5: You know you know so, and and there's only sensitive. They're not sensitive aout material. You can talk about anything you want.
Speaker 6: You just better agree that Buffalo is a great place to grow up and live and settle down.
Speaker 5: Like that's it. That's all they want to hear.
Speaker 1: We go through a wee good morning football, and it's a lot of you don't respect our team.
Speaker 3: You don't talk to our team. And it was a Bills for a while.
Speaker 1: Now we do, but like for years it was Bengals fans, it's Lions fans. And it's because historically those teams haven't been relevant towards the end of the season, but they eternalize it.
Speaker 3: And then it's like when we do talk about them, we just get showered with loaf.
Speaker 6: It's like, yeah, I mean, yes, they're the most passionate. Those are all cold weather cities, those are all like hard working cities that you know, Listen, I'm from outside of Boston. I grew up outside of Boston. I nobody knows. You think you're better than me, better than a Boston person.
Speaker 5: Okay, nobody knows.
Speaker 6: I mean, we were like seven championships in on on this magical run and they were still going, they're not talking about us. You know, they don't respect us. You know, the Patriots way was all built on that kind of you know, illusion that no one believes in the Patriots and they're all looking over the Patriots. So I understand that mentality perfectly well, but it is funny to like, you know, now, as a Patriots fan of sorts. When you go somewhere and you say, oh, I like the Patriots, they think I started yesterday. People think that I like jumped on the minute. You know, Tom Brady would had, you know, a supermodel on his arm, and it's like, that's not the case. I'm like you, I grew up in an area where I like my team too.
Speaker 1: You're like, I was there when Hugh Millen was the quarterback, So back off. That's it, Jared. When you do the comedy for a living, it's a lot of airports, it's a lot of everyone thinks it's glamorous.
Speaker 3: And but I think some of the stuff, the best stuff you do is just.
Speaker 1: Like Delta lounge humor and like getting into the Delta lounge and you know when you're stuck at a connection and you missed the gate and all that stuff. Like That's why I'm enjoying your stuff the most. Your your special thirty seven and single. But I think it's a lot of like this is the ultimate compliment, but it's a lot of like that Seinfeld style, like you ever notice and right it hits it.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it, you know, I take a lot of pride in I'm just a normal dude, Like I like my family, I go on dates.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't have a sad tale to tell.
Speaker 6: Some comedians are gonna come up and tell you their tragedies and their upbringing.
Speaker 5: I don't really have that to really talk about.
Speaker 6: Like I, you know, grew up in a suburb outside of a major city, you know, like.
Speaker 5: During you know, nineteen nineties kid.
Speaker 6: You know, so I'm I always consider myself the center part of the bell curve, like I'm ten percent away from the guy you're dating, your brother, your cousin, the guy who dumped you, the guy you dumped, you know. And when I talk about dating especially, that's kind of why people have, like, you know, gotten involved with the things I talk about because it's honest and it's fun and it's light hearted and it's meant to connect with people.
Speaker 5: I'm not looking to be.
Speaker 6: Some special artists out there telling my jokes and you know in an alley like I want the big crowds.
Speaker 5: I want I want people to connect.
Speaker 6: And like when I go talk about being in the Delta Lounge and how I feel that there's too many people in there and how there should be a tiered you know, I just think the Delta lounge.
Speaker 5: There needs to be levels.
Speaker 6: There needs to be a pyramid, and the more miles you have, the higher up on the pyramid you get to go until there's one seat on the top.
Speaker 5: That's a king's you know.
Speaker 1: The one person who travels the most can have all the free cottage, cheese and candle up they want.
Speaker 5: That's right, and look down on everyone else. That's what I want.
Speaker 6: I want the ability to look down on lesser Delta medallion you know, holding well, I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: I was at LaGuardia, I guess it was LaGuardia a few weeks ago, and there was a line twenty deep to get into the Delta lounge, and that was frustrating.
Speaker 3: I sat at the gate instead.
Speaker 6: Horrific And you know, I remember they were everyone was in one line. And then immediately I tweeted there should be different lines for different tiers of Delta, and then they did it.
Speaker 5: They actually started doing a diamond There's a.
Speaker 6: Diamond medallion lane that I strolled through and then I cough on everyone in the other line. I just make sure to cough on them, just to let them know who's in charge, you know.
Speaker 5: The little Guardia situation. I don't know what they're gonna do. There better be another entrance that they're buildings.
Speaker 3: It takes twelve miles to get to the to the gates.
Speaker 6: What's going on you They must be building another entrance, I hope to God because and this, this other entrance must be a rine not to be believed, because to not open it before as everything's going on. Because I've walked, I have gotten back from like Albany, and it's taken me longer to get from the gate to the uber than it did to Albany itself.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. They're doing construction. If you're not, this is a very niche LaGuardia Airport tells it.
Speaker 5: But I don't care.
Speaker 3: They're doing They're doing construction. And they opened the new gates and they're very luxurious.
Speaker 1: There's like a Bubby's in one of them, and there's right you know, there's high end stuff and you can get dig in or you can have you know, whatever it is. However, there's studing in construction on the outside, so you have to walk underneath like a tunnel with like wood like dangling from the walls, and it's forever.
Speaker 3: It's a twenty minute walk.
Speaker 5: Eight mile walk.
Speaker 6: And if people are wondering, yes, thirty seven and Single is about two minutes of dating material and then another fifty eight minutes of LaGuardia Gate humor. So if anyone's wondering, this is exactly what you're gonna get on the special.
Speaker 1: The special is on Netflix and I watched it last night.
Speaker 5: It's great.
Speaker 1: It's an hour, it's awesome, and it just goes up this week. And I'll tell you, you hit on something that I kind of internalized and I felt bad about. I've been married for for ten years now and I was dating my wife for five years before that, so I missed the whole online hinge, bumble tender, all that stuff, and you hit on it. You're like, there's nothing worse than the married guy who's like, let's take this for a dabble and starts like almost condescendingly.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, this is awesome. I would like, no, it's not awesome. It sucks. I have done that to my single friends.
Speaker 1: And you caught me red handed where I'm like, let's just see and I'm like, oh, this is crazy, and it's like, yeah, it's my life, dude.
Speaker 6: They want to play your married friends. Want to play with Tinder, play with hinge as if it's your like, you know, your poker game on your phone.
Speaker 5: Oh, let me just try it. You know that actually happened to me.
Speaker 6: This is what you know, you know the beauty of dating apps. Dating apps were created by male nerds who didn't want to get turned down. There's very few instances of getting turned down on an app.
Speaker 5: What you do is you swipe.
Speaker 6: You swipe left if you don't like them, and you swipe right if you do like them, wipe right and you get a match, you go, oh, they like me, of course. If you swipe right and you get no match right away, your first thought, strangely, is oh, they they haven't seen me.
Speaker 5: They'll get to me later. They'll get to me at one point.
Speaker 6: So it's a very cocky place to be on and so very rarely do you get hit in the heart and the way you did in the old days that I did in the old days, where you go up to a woman with a flower in your hand, you go on a date with me. That happens very that doesn't happen on it.
Speaker 3: Can you not pick up a girl though?
Speaker 2: Like in a like?
Speaker 3: Does that not happen anymore. We just go up to a girl, or is that weird?
Speaker 6: You can do that, but my point is really that you can't that on the dating app.
Speaker 5: It's the reason it exists is to not have a public interaction.
Speaker 2: No rejection, no rejection ever.
Speaker 6: The one time I felt rejected on a dating app, there was a girl I matched with. I'll never forget it. I'm swiping when you know, hinge whatever, I don't remember the app. And there's this girl and she's cute, and she's like my type and Jewish and Penn State. I went to Penn State. So I'm like, wow, and we have all these friends in common.
Speaker 5: You can kind of like, you know, you go look them up. Oh my god, I know.
Speaker 6: And I'm like and I'm send a message, no response, but you go, I guess they haven't seen me yet. And like you know, a little time goes by and I messaged my friend that we had in common. I'm like, hey, because this is what happens on a dating app. You get attached to something that doesn't exist. It's just a match. It's very small. And I text my friend. I go, hey, man, you know this person I match with him on a dating app. What's the scoop is really what I was wondering, he goes. A day later he texted me, he goes, hey, man, she said her friend was playing with the.
Speaker 5: App and that's why you.
Speaker 6: Guys matched and it's gonna be and then she Randy Jackson me. She was like, it's gonna be a no from me, dog, and that was it.
Speaker 3: So it's crazy.
Speaker 6: It's crazy, but this is what happens when people go, I want to play with the app, but it's like, how about not? How about you let me you know, how about you fix me up with someone you're thinking of me for? Like, that's the thing. Married people they have to understand. All their single friends do want to be fixed up. They want to be fixed up thoughtfully, because what they'll say married people, what they'll do is they'll go.
Speaker 5: Want to meet my friend, and then you have to beg You go, can I see a picture?
Speaker 6: You're like, and now it's like and then they look at you when you go can I see a picture?
Speaker 5: They're like, who do you think you are? You? Yeah? Yeah, what do you think? Well? She's not good enough for you?
Speaker 6: It's like, how about you give me all the information I would get on a dating app, but also with your thumbs up approval.
Speaker 5: That's what people want. We want to know that these aren't these crazies that are out there.
Speaker 1: You hit on something in your podcast couple of weeks ago because I listen to your podcast Jaytrain, which is I Love, and you were like, sometimes you'll see like the same women on the dating apps for years and they're always there, and then one day they'll just not be on and you're like, it they found someone.
Speaker 6: A proud of them, but proud of them, good for them, happy for them.
Speaker 5: That's the thing. It's like about whatever happened to that one Whatever.
Speaker 6: You see people around the city that I've seen, I'm like, how do I know them? Oh, I've been looking at their picture for eighteen years on the dating app?
Speaker 5: I will say it is.
Speaker 6: You know, the thing about dating, it's a very personal thing that's not personal, you know, like everyone's just trying to get to where they feel comfy, cozy. It's not like there's no hatred in it, even though it feels bad.
Speaker 5: So it is.
Speaker 6: I love talking about dating stuff because and especially from a male point of view, because there's not a lot of straight guys that are out there kind of like talking about in an edible way. So it's really nice to hear back from like women. You know that for the podcast, most of my listeners are women, and they're like, yo, okay, it's nice to hear that. It was like not that big a deal as maybe I made it out to be, you know. And it's stuff like that where you see someone for years, you don't wish them bad, you don't wish them you know, you're just like, oh, good, find someone.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because you're here talking about dating advice very relevant, you do the Bachelor reviews, and then you also have this other gear where like you hang out at the Comedy Seller and you're with David Tail and Jim Norton and whoever else, and you hang with that crowd like I feel like you can go with any group because it's pretty relatable. But you also have this like you're a comedians comedian piece to you too.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I've been doing stand up every night for thirteen years.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: That's why this special is so special to me.
Speaker 6: It's like, you know, this is a validating thing to be on Netflix and to have an hour on there, you know, and like, you know, at the Seller, it was always like you know, at the Seller, it's people just ball busting all the comics, just making fun of each other before you go on stage. And like, you know, the thing I would get for was like Jared watches The Bachelor and thinks he knows things about dating, you know, and and it's funny to kind of like have that known. But like also you go on the same lineups as so many different comics, and especially like, you know, my peers, the people that I came up with, like you know that they're getting success in their own ways and their own arenas. Like I was out last night or two nights ago with Nimesh Patel, who's like blown up on TikTok, and then Michael Chay.
Speaker 5: Who's blown up you know SNL who doesn't know Michael cha and.
Speaker 6: It's like we met at open mics, you know, just putting our name in a bucket, and it's like this amazing thing that and again and also Michelle Wolf, who like I opened for you know as a friend and peer on the road before she taped her Netflix special. So it's like it's it's really like nice and awesome that We all kind of text back and forth and figure out bits together. We all care about stand up, and you know, the thing is about stand up.
Speaker 5: It's the prize.
Speaker 6: You get to do stand up if you do the other work, if you go to the open mics, if you write, if you do the Bachelor live scream. Not to say I don't love doing Bachelor stuff in podcasts, but those are all just servis getting people out to shows to see.
Speaker 5: The hour, to see it the work in progress.
Speaker 6: Like you know what's cool for me is I tape this special thirty seven and single in December. I paid for it, I made it, I went to sell it, and it took all this time to sell. And during that time, what am I gonna do. I'm not gonna sit back and relax. I'm gonna go back on stage time to start again. You know That's why I new material and new material. Yeah, the most humbling thing in the world. That's why you don't you don't mean me. You meet a stand up comic, they're they're they're gonna be self deprecating because you humble yourself every night. You fail every night if you're trying, if you're trying new material. So since December, I've been working on a whole new hour. So like the thing I'm most proud of, I'm proud of the special, I'm proud that it's on Netflix, but I've moved on mentally, I'm on the new hour. You know what does Tom Brady say, what's his favorite championship? The next one? That's my favorite special? So right now, at the end of thirty seven in single, I did like a little you know how, like in the Marvel movies, you saw little teas at the Marvel movies and the credits they do a little post credit scene. I did a post credit scene during the credits of my Parents, like giving me. So the whole next hour that I'm doing on the road right now, I'm doing, you know, all new material from the special. So if you watch a special and you want to come to a live show, it's all brand new. And it's all about going on vacation with my parents and what that's like and what that feels like in the weirdness of that and the weird and you know this, like you know how, some families just have that financial tie together that we never had. No other generation shared something like the family plan, the way we do with our generation, Like, you know, like no other generation called their parents the minute they landed somewhere at thirty eight, like I'm calling saying.
Speaker 5: Landed, texting landed.
Speaker 6: I did that joke on the Tonight Show, and people every time I go to Boca. My parents live in Boca, of course they do the landed landed. Every Jewish mother landed. I saw landed, and it's because their kids do it too. So that's kind of the things I'm talking about for the next special. So it again because I love stand up and like, you know this, you're such like a stand up supporter, and that's you know how we connected.
Speaker 5: You knew, you know.
Speaker 6: I was like, we know when someone loves stand up and loves the comedy world. So when we first met and started talking, I was like, oh, this guy knows it. And it's like not many people do, you know, Like this is a this is a more niche thing than people want to believe.
Speaker 5: Because you and I we.
Speaker 6: Know football, we love football, but like we also know the bravado of football. Dudes, every football fan wants to believe they know funny, they know the comedians, they know the guy. I get that because that you know, I do shows where the women who follow me, they'll come to the show and they'll bring the boyfriend.
Speaker 5: The boyfriend be like, oh man, that was pretty good. I haven't heard of you, I you know.
Speaker 6: And then they name my friends to me to tell me how much they know, and it's like, you know, it's so it is just this like smaller world than anyone would believe, and it's really nice that like when people come to shows and appreciate it and like know the world a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, I can only imagine the boyfriend's initial re actually doesn't know you, And it's like the girlfriend's like, I love this guy's reviews of the Batcher, why don't you come to see him? Do like I'm gonna watch some other man entertain my wife. Like but then it's you realize that your stuff is awesome.
Speaker 6: And it's first they think I'm pandering to their girlfriend, which isn't the case, and they realize very quickly that's not what I'm doing and what it will.
Speaker 5: Also, I had one instance I'll never forget.
Speaker 6: I'm in Nashville, I'm on stage, and I give dating advice, but like from my own perspective, I talk about dating on a podcast, and you know, and so this guy in the front is just miserable the whole time, and I say, and he's with his girlfriend.
Speaker 5: I go, I go, hey, man, what's the deal. What you know? You look like you ate a sandwich? What's happening?
Speaker 6: And he like level with me, like I can't break you, and he goes, I don't know, man, you just every time we get in a fight, my girlfriend I she's always, like Jared says, and you're like her teammate in our arguments. And I was like, that's funny. I didn't think of it that way. And then I'll never forget. It was like a month later, I'm in an argument with my own girlfriend at the time and she literally amd argument.
Speaker 5: She goes, well, you said on the podcast. I was like, don't listen to me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I was like I never felt more connected to someone who hated me in my entire life.
Speaker 1: All Right, So you mentioned you're a Patriots fan, and that's not usually we have on guests, and it's like, sure, all right, this is a comedian, this is a celebrity, and they love this team and that's the football tie. Yours goes much deeper than that. You're wearing a Bears hat. Can you explain Jared Freed's connection to the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 6: Well, I've so I'm a paint now I'm less of a Patriots fan. And this sounds bad to any like football fan. They're like, what in the world my brother is? I don't know what to call I guess I would call him a coach for the Chicago Bears. He works, he's on the Bears staff. I don't want to speak out of turn.
Speaker 5: The meat, right.
Speaker 6: I don't know where he stands on the float chart, but he is. He's worked in the league. He worked at the league office, and then he went to Miami and now he's with the Bears. And you know, I I follow him where he goes. I got skin in the game, so to speak.
Speaker 5: You know, like I cheer for the Bears like they're my high school team.
Speaker 6: Now you know, it's family, you know, as my family always said, when you're here, your family.
Speaker 5: That was our saying growing up. So yeah, so like my.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. Like the six also, yeah it's good.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: So I I so it's been this weird thing because I feel emotionally connected to football in a way that I felt it before, like you grew up a Patriots fan. But now it's like I'm cheering for play like you know, justin fields, like I'm cheering for him, like he's my brother, because my brother's you know, in the booth and you know, now you know his fiance she was you know, they met in Miami and she's she's in your industry.
Speaker 5: She's a broadcaster too.
Speaker 6: She was on the NBC station in Miami and now she's moved to Chicago. Now we're all wearing you know, bear down. We're all wearing the you know, the blue and orange, so to speak. I don't even know if that's what they say.
Speaker 3: I don't even I think they do say bear down.
Speaker 1: I'm curious, like, is it known that his brother's a very famous stand up comedian.
Speaker 3: Or is that something he keeps quiet in NFL circles?
Speaker 5: You know, people people.
Speaker 6: Know he's you know, I've had people come out to shows because they know my brother, and like you know, they've can on me or vice avert, you know, it comes up and then like you know, also they're just comedy fans and they'll bring up a name, and Harry's met all these people, like my brother was like with me in open mics, Like my brother was.
Speaker 5: Like, you know, he was sleeping.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't think that I'm not speaking out of turn. He was sleeping on my couch telling me that he wants to be in the NFL. One day and it was like and he's getting his MBA and he's and I'm like, and I remember he was like a few months into my couch and I'm living in this like tiny New York City apartment.
Speaker 5: And there was a point where it's.
Speaker 6: Like he's and he's just trying to figure out his way and I'll never forget and I'm going to open mics.
Speaker 5: Well he's going and trying.
Speaker 6: To knock on doors and sending a resume resumes and it's just not working out for either of us to be in such close quarters. And I'll never forget it. There was one day where I like I kicked him out. I was like, listen, there's too many dreams in this apartment.
Speaker 5: You gotta get out of here.
Speaker 6: And you know, in his own version, you know, we're all the star of our own movie. You know, he goes off and he goes on his odyssey, and I continue my own odyssey and you know, we're both each other's like biggest fans and supporters, like and we get you know, we were there for each other so much and like talking each other through kind of the tough emotional times of trying to do something that no one can understand. You know, like that, you know this isn't this isn't the lawyer path, the finance path, the doctor path.
Speaker 5: You know this. You know I writing You're you know this.
Speaker 6: You know intimately you're writing blog posts and you know. And people say to you, you go home for Rosha Shanna and they're like, what are you doing?
Speaker 5: You say, you do what? Well?
Speaker 6: You got to meet I remember I went home to my grandmother's shiva call.
Speaker 5: Now we'll get real juwey. I'm at my.
Speaker 6: Grandmother's shiva call and people try to help you, but it's almost demeaning.
Speaker 5: I remember this.
Speaker 6: One woman was like, you should talk to my friend. They work at SNL. And I was like, and you have to say yes to everything. And I remember I get on the phone with this. She goes, I'll put you on the phone with their mom. I was like, no, no, and then she holds I'm at my grandmother's shiva call. My grandmother just died days before. The body's still warm. She holds this woman holds up her phone to me, and it's another woman and and she's going hello, and I go, Hi, I want to be a writer on SNL right right, Like what do I say?
Speaker 5: And then I remember the woman She goes.
Speaker 6: Well, my daughter went to Harvard and worked for the Harvard Lampoon.
Speaker 5: Have you looked into that? And I was like, thank you very much, good to meet you.
Speaker 6: Hung up as soon as I could, and I was like, you know, and so that happens so much these enraging when someone's really there, really coming from the best place, and you can't say anything bad. You want to like scream from within. And I know you know that, and it was nice kind you know. Over the years, it's been really nice to have my brother going through his own thing, which is totally different than comedy, but a lot the same, just like you're similar in how different it is from everything else. And you know, now I go to a Bears, I'm going to opening week. I'm going to Packers Bears. Of course I want to see I go sit in the family section. I'm screaming at the team. You know, I remember one one time. I was like and then I like to you know, I get drunk. I have a bunch of beers and Vodkas, and then I like, I remember I was at the Miami game once and I and I realized I was sitting behind the offensive coordinator's dad.
Speaker 5: Like you start to realize who you're sitting around.
Speaker 3: Now you're questioning the calls.
Speaker 6: And well, then I did it by I did it as a joke, like I'm a little drunk, I'm like, I gotta put this guy. I go, every player go, who is calling these plays?
Speaker 5: And you just see the dad like kind of turn around.
Speaker 6: And then when he finally got mad enough to turn around fully, I just made eye contract and I started like grab.
Speaker 5: His shoulder and start yeah, and he starts laughing.
Speaker 6: You know, It's like it's like that where it's like I get to be his fan and I get to sit in the back. But you know, and also like when you have a coach as a brother, my brother did me the biggest favor.
Speaker 5: In the world.
Speaker 6: He he went he would come to my shows and I remember I'd come off stage, and criticism is very difficult to take.
Speaker 5: I think it's very hard to give you have to be constructive.
Speaker 6: You have to see where the person is trying to go and how they're trying to You have to be And I came off stage and he would go, I got like ten notes and it would be like and in the notes it would be like, loved this. Energy good this and energy they are good. You were a little fast on that. I didn't get what you were saying. It was like this like and I was like, the way he gave it to me, I was like, this is so valuable.
Speaker 5: It was so helped.
Speaker 1: He's a professional coach, and you know, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: That's how he talks to players.
Speaker 6: You guys don't have that, right, No, no, none of us have that. And I and then I remember Michelle Wolf and I are friends, and it was a big opportunity to open for Michelle.
Speaker 5: She had just done the White House Correspondence.
Speaker 2: I was after the White House Correspondence. Yeah, that's huge.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And I go and start opening for her, and I remember she came off stage and I was like, well, I like it.
Speaker 5: When it's done for me, I'm sure she'll like it and.
Speaker 6: Loved it lovely, Like no one likes writing more than Michelle. So and we really connected over that, and you know that was us becoming closer friends and creating a bond over comedy, and like, you know, and I would I don't wouldn't have known how to do that or to.
Speaker 5: Do that without my brother. So it's like it all translates.
Speaker 1: So for me, like when I was growing up, it was you know, like, wow, look at Dick Shap what he gets to do. Look at Roy Firestone interviewing people, or oh my god, a Madrashott is on the court interviewing players.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine?
Speaker 3: Who were those guys for.
Speaker 2: You in comedy?
Speaker 1: And was that really a thing with you in comedy? Were you one of these snl nerds who would sit home and watch the tape of Wayne's World over and over again, or like, was this something where you came at it from a different angle and it wasn't like you worshiped comedy as a kid.
Speaker 6: Never never liked the big comedy nerd. I liked making my friends laugh. I liked writing on email to my group of friends and ball busting.
Speaker 2: And having the message board.
Speaker 6: Oh absolutely, Then when having one person go off email to email, you individually to be like, oh my god, I'm dying at my desk. That's the that would get me off. And then the one special I really loved, and it was on a thousand times, and I would say, I I emulate this comic.
Speaker 1: Oh, Kevin James was saying premium Blend go which one.
Speaker 5: No, Kevin James sweat the small stuff.
Speaker 6: It's on YouTube. It's still most of the bits still work today. I've never gotten to meet him. But like his physicality, his you know, his bigness, his his.
Speaker 5: Light on his feet. You know, I really love that.
Speaker 6: And also the relatability of like I just could feel everything he was talking about. So that was the one special I watched a thousand times, but never I was never that guy who was like George Carlin I hugged his book.
Speaker 5: You know I didn't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So this thing hits Netflix take us really brievous. So you said, thirteen years of doing stand up comedy, and then like this is not to make it overally dramatic, this is the biggest moment so far for the career.
Speaker 3: Is this Like what that means?
Speaker 1: I don't know the significance of a Netflix special, knowing what it's done for so many others.
Speaker 3: But like, is this this could be your moment.
Speaker 6: It's hard to explain because it came out at three thirty three in the morning.
Speaker 5: I woke up to like some very nice messages.
Speaker 6: I hope it just you know, brings more people to what I do, you know, like and it is the biggest moment of my life. It is like the platform is just so big and I want like, you know, you've seen what it's done for other people. I have some friends that like have had Netflix specials and it's made it so they could tour. Like I just want to be able to go and do great shows. And it's it's really as simple and hokey and cheesy as that. Like again, the prize is doing stand up. I get to do it. I get to travel the country. I love putting together the bits and like it. It really does sound cheesy, but this is like if I can just and if I can make a living doing that, Like who you know, as as the hardballs would say, who has it better than us? You know, like it's uh so, I I just and when people connect with what I'm saying and they come up to me with their you know, with their families or their boyfriend or girlfriend, whatever it might be, and be like, wow, we just died laughing, like it's.
Speaker 5: That's the greatest pleasure.
Speaker 6: You know, Like if someone says to me like I literally peed my pants, I'm like, that is like all I I can ask for.
Speaker 1: You know, thirty seven in single is the special? You obviously are thirty seven in single. Uh, I'm not gonna give it away, but you're opening bit on just you're on these apps so often that sometimes eventually you start just dismissing women because of their names.
Speaker 6: And it's like you don't even look at their pictures, just don't want to with that name with women men that and that's like the most relatable thing. It doesn't matter who you are, you get bogged down. And that's like the thing about it that I really like connect with people on like you know, and sometimes marry people don't understand. It's like I don't think I'm anybody. I don't think I deserve anything. You know, you're just going, oh, I'm tired. I want to be I think, like I've been talking a lot lately about like you just want to be six months in on night one, you know, like I don't to that point, just get me to six months in right away.
Speaker 5: Let's get past the ooh, you know your parents are from where.
Speaker 6: It's like no, no, no, tell me why you hate your parents, but you love them because they pay yourself on bill like you know, like get me there, you know, And.
Speaker 1: New York City is ripe for material. I imagine you choose to live here. You can live anywhere if you want it.
Speaker 5: I mean I love New York. I mean I live a very New York life, you know.
Speaker 6: But again, the seller's here, like the seller is like such a like if anyone's out there and you go to a show, go to you go to New York go to a New York City comedy seller show, go.
Speaker 5: To any lineup, any lineup.
Speaker 6: Like the other thing is like I love being a the world that I'm in. I like telling people go to just go to the show, Like I have friends, what show are you on?
Speaker 5: Are you there tonight? I go just go to any just go to any show, you know.
Speaker 6: If i'm if I'm to give like insider advice, McDougall, street room is the one you want to go to. Second would be Village Underground, Third would be Fat Black Lounge.
Speaker 5: Fourth would be Fat black Bar. If you want insider tip.
Speaker 6: If it shows is sold out, there's a standby line a half hour before every show and it's not sold out. It's a reservation system, so no one's paid for tickets ahead of time, so a lot of people don't show, So you're gonna go to a show that night. I'm telling you it is the biggest win. If you're like planning a date night with your wife or girlfriend, you're going to New York City, you want to win, you go to the commie seller. Guaranteed win. That's why you know why all the reservations are gone. All the concierges at the hotels. At the hotels take them up because what better than a free ticket that someone could take or leave. That the concierge wins and there's no loss potential.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: We were talking earlier and I said, you've got like a Seinfeld like ish for this generation, where it's like that is funny, it's observational, it's for the most part clean. Of course, your language, and you do talk about sex and stuff, but you're not going down, you know, anywhere.
Speaker 3: It's seinfeld Ish.
Speaker 1: That might be very basic for me to say that knowing there's a I don't think have you met Jerry Seinfeld?
Speaker 6: So I didn't tell you this story, did I know? So I went on stage at Gotham. Seinfeld goes to Gotham. That's where he works out material.
Speaker 1: Is he there often or is he one of those guys that'll pop in once a year or is he like all.
Speaker 6: No, he I I think you know he loves you can tell he loves stand up. He kind of there's this level of comedian like Seinfeld where they like treat it like golf, like they like to play every day, you know, like they like to like get out there sometimes, or like, you know, it does seem like it's golf to him, So he'll So I get to the Gotham Comedy Club and they're like, hey, Jared, you're gonna go on stage first, and then Jerry's coming and I'm like who They're like, Jerry Seinfeld.
Speaker 5: I'm like, oh, that Jerry.
Speaker 6: So then they're like he could show up in five minutes, earn fifteen minutes, we don't know. Now we're gonna turn the light on, which means you have two minutes left when you see the light going, get off stage because we don't they don't want Jerry waiting.
Speaker 5: No, he ain't waiting.
Speaker 6: So I and five and fifteen two different numbers when it comes to a comedian.
Speaker 5: I want to end right, I want to end well.
Speaker 6: I want Seinfeld to like me, you know, like that type of thing. So I'm at Gotham. I'm on stage. It's five minutes in and then he's so famous that you can see his outline and you know who he is, right.
Speaker 5: Just a silhouette and you know who he is.
Speaker 6: I see his silhouette, but the light isn't on, so I'm like, you know, Jay Train gonna cook. So I so I keep going and I go into like some material that I would think like he might like. And the joke's on the special. You can see it on the special, the joke that. So I come off stage and I see the light going. I come off stage and I see him. He goes love the fat stuff, and I'm like, thank you, he just love the fat stuff. And he goes, he goes, he goes Justin's Peanut butter. Never would have thought, oh, he's like that's great. He goes Justin's Peanut butter. He kept repeating, and I go, you know, like you almost bow to him.
Speaker 5: I'm like, thank you, thank you. You know you got you know.
Speaker 1: The Pez Dispenser or Junior Mens, and like there's all these references and so like when he gives you a brand name that you referenced and he's like, well done.
Speaker 3: That's got to be.
Speaker 5: Like the couple of it the best comment in the world.
Speaker 6: And I had my recorder running in my back pocket when this happened, so I literally have it on tape and you can and again, just like the silhouette, You're like that's his voice. Like it's like he's so famous. And I send it to my parents, you know, I like edited it to like send to my parents, and then they ruined it.
Speaker 5: By going, what who is this? What's going on? They just all that annoying questions.
Speaker 1: Jared Freed. The special comes out this week. It's called thirty seven in single. Where else can our listeners find you? And uh podcast, concerts, tour all that stuff.
Speaker 5: Jaredfreed dot com.
Speaker 6: Come to a show Netflix, Netflix, Netflix thirty seven and single at Jared Fred on Instagram. But just go watch the special, go enjoy. You'll find me after that if you had a good time, And I'm sure you will. Thank you, man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Go Bears, Bear Down, Bear Down. Jared Freed. Awesome stuff, man, Thank you, thank you. That was awesome.
Speaker 1: Jared Freed, Who's brother Harry, coaches for the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 2: That's tremendous.
Speaker 1: Aaron, you have to think there are some similarities to like people in the music profession, the people in sports broadcasting. It's one in a million, and you gotta feel good for your guy like Jared to get his spot. I just got to hope that everyone watches it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I as a musician have very similar experiences of going to the open mic. You're putting your name down on the list, just sit there for two hours. You got the same people who you've been to six other open mics with the last few months. Yeah, I get it, and it's He's very funny. I love his podcast and exciting. I'm excited to watch his special too.
Speaker 3: Let's see how it goes.
Speaker 1: Guys, thanks for listening to this week's podcast. We've got another awesome episode coming either later this week or early next week. We're going to see but I'm excited about the guests we have on that one. But in the meantime, thanks for listening. As always, this is when the season's getting really started, so keep on telling your friends, subscribe, spread the word.
Speaker 3: We're doing it over here.
Speaker 1: We're now on YouTube all so we love the comments on that on behalf of Aaron Wan Kaufman and the rest of the gang here in New York and then all the NFL network folks out on the West Coast The Season with Peter Schrager. The Season with Peter Schrager is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, wherever you get more podcasts.