Speaker 1: Native Lamb Pod is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome home, Everybody. This is Native Lamb Pod. I'm Angela Raie. I'm with Andrew Gillim and Tiffany.
Speaker 4: You're gonna do what you're gonna do. Every week.
Speaker 3: This is our mini pod and we are so so thrilled to have our sister, our friends joining us fresh on the other side into liberation and freedom. Marylynd Moseby, former Baltimore City States Attorney, a legend in her own right, advocate for the people and also a local host committee member, really our chair for the State of the People General Assembly just last week, Maryland.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the show again, Marylyn.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. It's so good to see everyone on the other side of liberation.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, we glad that you liberating. You look really good, Marylynd. I was looking at you, say up, you look gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Thank you to me. You always do. I'm just telling her she is channeling the Billy Holliday. I think her coming to Baltimore.
Speaker 5: Something I'm down and making, and it's so well outside of making and one of those black towns I was telling y'all about, and it's so hot down here, and I had blown out my hair, and this morning I watched it because it was so hot and human. And now I'm looking at how gorgeous you and Angela look and how Andrew always looks, and I'm like, I should have kept myself together.
Speaker 4: Listen, I didn't hear what neither one of y'all said.
Speaker 6: One of y'all going marl.
Speaker 2: No, I said, I love it.
Speaker 7: She looks beautiful, and I said, was ninety three degrees at ten o'clock this morning, So yeaht.
Speaker 5: Grateful for the humidity and no makeup though, So I will say that feels I barely put lotion on my face this morning.
Speaker 4: That yeah, yeah, I'm gonna say that. People don't want to hear about.
Speaker 3: Me, Well I want to if you can, Maryland, talk about how you're feeling. You had to serve a sentence for something you didn't do, which we've talked about at nauseum on this show.
Speaker 2: And even though just.
Speaker 3: True to form, the things are beeping to support what we're saying, and we're so grateful Andrew for all of that. Backup, But Marylyn I'd love to hear from you on how you're feeling now.
Speaker 2: So Angela, first and foremost, I'm just I feel so much gratitude. I think, you know, God has been so good to me and my girls. He has covered us through the midst of this storm. And I say it all the time and every sort of speech or any sort of acknowledgment that I can. You know, unfortunately, a lot of people in my life that I thought would be there for me weren't. And that was also part of the largest of divine plan. You know, before God elevates, he separates in and exposed those the hearts of the individuals that aren't really for you. But by the same token, I feel so much gratitude because He did send Earth angels into my life where you know, they were able to pour into me and my girls in a way. And I have to acknowledge that. I have to from the bottom of my heart acknowledge and appreciate you. You know, I got to say, Angela, I was drowning. You gave me, You threw me a lifeline when I didn't even think I could make it, Like you know, financially, spiritually, emotionally, psychologically, reputationally. They tried to break me on so many different levels and make an example out of me for what I stood for. I had absolutely nothing to do with anything that I did wrong. You know, I withdrew my own retirement savings that I put away every two weeks to buy property that was the extent of what I was accused of. And having to fight the federal government. You know, it was really difficult. I lost everything. I lost my marriage, I lost my career, I lost my house, I lost my car. You know, it was my home. It was a lot, and so many you know folks that I thought again would be there weren't, but you were. And I just want to please acknowledge this woman right here who fights for the people so many different levels, and she's seeing this black woman in need. And I just got to say thank you from the bottom of my heart. Angela. You have no idea. You use your platform to elevate the circumstance. And it was thanks to you. We had a national campaign and you know, organizations signed on Black Win with black women, and you know, the Congressional Black Caucus and sixty attorneys and Ben Crump, and you know, it started with you.
Speaker 6: Over one hundred thousand people.
Speaker 2: One hundred thousand people signed that petition. You know, Angela had she delved into my case and if you would have seen her her living room, she had no books, and you know, she got down to the nitty gritty. And I'm so incredibly grateful. So when you say how do I feel in this moment, I feel so much gratitude.
Speaker 3: I love to hear it. I just I want to I do this all the time. It's important to me to just acknowledge, Tiff and Andrew did not hesitate when we talked about bringing this to this podcast and getting a petition done. In all of that, and to our professional development program students, all of the work they did on graphics, on everything. But I really, you know, don't want to necessarily take you back there. I think it's so important to talk about the road ahead and in that Andrew, you've seen this yourself. Marylyn is just getting out of this and now facing another thing. So Marylynd, if you could talk about kind of what you're up against and how folks are coming at you now that you you know, you feel like you're in the clear, then cut the bracelet off. You're not being monitored no longer a curfew and now that.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, yeah, it's constant a battle, you know, one of the things that they attempted to do while I was you know, right now, we're still waiting for the Fourth Circuit to make a decision on my appeal, and we feel really great about the appeal. However, that argument was in January. We're still waiting and it's still looming and it can come any day. The government was attempting to take my house and to take my law license before the appeal was even exhausted, and the Supreme Court in Maryland basically said that you cannot do that. So it's been a constant struggle in a battle that we won temporarily until this appeal is ultimately decided. But as soon as you get you take one step forward, it feels like you're being pulled three steps back.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: My predecessor, well not actually he's the person who has come in after me. I would just say, I've in Bays, who's the newly elected state attorney, has used this opportunity to try to hurt me. He filed an attorney grievance against me on one particular case. You know, despite the thousands of cases that I oversaw that I didn't personally investigate. Really a shucking and driving. You know, we got those folks and tap dance and hold the water for the status quo. And that's essentially what's being done. So I have to now, on top of wait for the Court of Appeals decision to be heard to determine whether I'm going to keep my law license in my home. I now have to fight an additional battle, which is to defend myself in the ad non said case, which I believe I was right in making that determination. He has challenged my discretion and it has made an unprecedented move to fil an attorney grievance against me and the attorney who actually investigated the case. And so we are both, you know, again battling again on the affront to try to keep my law license in defense of that case.
Speaker 5: Because you brought up the said case one your successor, Ivan Bates. I'm curious why the focus and attention on you. I imagine the good people of Baltimore would like their tax dollars being used in resources on something certainly more pressing. I've known you, Maryland for over ten years now, I can assure the people of Baltimore you are not a fugitive, You are not a threat to society. You have certainly enhanced that city and your influence cast a wide shadow across the nation. So I'm curious if you have any thoughts on why he's so focused on you. Secondly, if you would, just for the benefit of our audience, give a little background on what the Sai case is and what the issue is since you since you brought it up.
Speaker 2: So anand Sayid was another one. I created the first conviction integrity unit in the entire state of Maryland where we did reinvestigations into claims of actual and I also had a sentencing review unit where we modified and reduced the sentences of juvenile lifers and the elderly prison population, where we released more than sixty individuals by modifying their sentence. I had an individual attorney that actually was a senior attorney at the Public Defender's Office, Becky Feldman, who came over and worked my sentencing review unit, and under her leadership, she actually reviewed the ad Non Sayid case. This is a case that dates very far back where he was wrongly if we believe after a thorough investigation that he was wrongly convicted of murder, and so we did our due diligence. We investigated the case and ultimately made a recommendation to vacate the conviction of ad Non said and rightfully, so we would argue, as you are aware, prosecutors, we exercised our discretion every single day, right, and thousands of cases, and this particular case is a high profile case. It's rather controversial. But when you are elected into these positions and as a leader, you have to make a decision, right, you stand on on the moral beliefs of what you're doing is right. And that's what we did. I got to say the mission of my office was justice over convictions. Unfortunately, you know, I think that the newly elected state attorney is playing politics just like Trump. Right. Unfortunately, he took advantage of the of the fact that I had this bogus investigation and looming criminal case hanging over me. He had run against me before and lost, but this time around, he won, and he ran on a platform of pretty much reversing everything that I had done in my office, progressive related and he did just that. So, now, when you ask why would someone do something like that, well he was, you know of the Fox forty five who was a local sort of fox station put two hundred thousand dollars into my race to support him, right, And so why would he do that. He carries the weight of the status quo. And so unfortunately the people of Baltimore voted for this man, and just like Trump, they voted against their own self interest. So you get what you voted for. And so that's who he is. He's showing to be who he's always been.
Speaker 7: That's all rings so familiar, Maryland. But I just first got to say, you have breath in your body. Yes, you are yes on the other side, and you and I could talk one on one about the traumat the trauma of all of it, and how you get revisited by it, if not every moment of the day, every other moment of the day, you feel some reminder. But if I could just say, you and I both and maybe more than us, will have to work very hard to expel those voices that operate in our head that cause us to be curious about everything we do, how people feel about us, whether we're welcome to move in certain spaces or not. You're on the other side of it. But as you know, this trauma is certainly I hope it isn't, but it feels like it might be a lifetime wound that constantly has to be tended to in some way, and that maybe over time what happens is is that our our heart won't always feel like it's carried outside our body on our sleeves, that it won't impact us so severely as it did from the beginning as time passes by. I'll also just say this that the enemies who are again rising against you, and I wholly accept your description of this, of this new prosecutor, these folks, they don't The devil comes to kill and destroy, right, he comes to kill and destroy, And in fact I now begin to accept in that order.
Speaker 6: Right, they kill you, destroy you, kill you again, just to make sure you're dead. Right. My grandmother said they.
Speaker 7: Gonna kill you dead. I thought, like, hell, you're already dead. No, they're gonna kill you dead. So just be be aware that Tiffany said I think a little earlier that you're you know, you're not a threat, You're not this. I just want to reassure you remain a threat so long as you have breath in your body, and you are the woman of character that I came to know many years ago when you first got elected. You will continue to be a threat by how do we say, getting in good trouble, And I just want to admonish you, friend that I think I'm speaking to myself too. We have to not shrink from the gifts that God has given us to continue to operate in good trouble. And I think the beauty in that is that the same people who were attracted to you when they elected you for that fight, for that fierceness, those are gonna be the same champions who come riding and dying for you on this one. Lastly, the people who disappointed us by not showing up, I just want to and part of my process of releasing them was simply to say, everybody doesn't operate at the same level of freedom.
Speaker 6: As we think.
Speaker 7: Everybody that we thought was courageous and courageous, everybody who was running with us and acting like they were equals and equal to our hustle, were actually just pretenders and hangers on. And I think when we look at them sympathetically as I'm sorry I thought you were of sterner things, you're not let it go because you got too much work to do. The haters, detractors, they're there for a I acknowledge that. But you're here for a mission too, and I believe yours this greater and more powerful, more impactful, and just cheering and riding for.
Speaker 6: You because you deserve it. God got you here again because you deserve it, not stand in it.
Speaker 2: And I just want to say, I mean, I think, even looking to folks like yourself who were champions for our people and for our communities, and for justice right and for all people, and the way in which the status quo came for you, you know I've learned from it. And I say this all the time, what happened to me. I don't have any sort of bitterness in my heart. I have nothing but gratitude even for the haters right, because I've been able to delve and into deep, deeply within myself, and I'm a better person as a result of the experience you. I always say that you learn lessons. I learned lessons at rock bottom that peaks of mountaintops will never teach you. It required me to hit rock bottom, for me to lose everything, for me to open my eyes and to get back to myself, and I would love to take the credit for it, but I can't. Like at the end of the day, I don't look like what I've been through because I'm divinely protected, just like you are divinely protected, just like Tip. It's divinely protected, right like no matter what they try to do, as you've already said, you know the gifts and the talents that God has given us, the devil will try to stop so that we don't understand and recognize our purpose and our greater purpose. And so I'm grateful for it all I've learned from all of you. I am so grateful for your support, and I've learned right, I've grown, so there's no reason for me to have any sort of animosity. But what I will also know knowing myself is that I will always speak truth to power, like I'm always going to tell the truth. And so if that ruffles fathers, then guess what so be it?
Speaker 4: Marilyn.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you. I'm writing about heartbreak right now, and I'm writing about a conversation that you and I had when you were going through all of this, and I don't want to say it now because I want people to re read it when it comes out. But I just I remember walking away thinking, man at her lowest point, she poured into me with a message that was so profound. But what I don't think that our that that society at large realizes, is when you're charged with something like this. Andrew, certainly you know firsthand it is not okay, you're found not guilty, or you have one year probation. It lingers with you financially, it lingers with you socially, and it was it kind of broke my heart. Hurt my heart to hear you say that, Andrew, that you have to think about am I welcome in certain spaces and how people might regard you. Any space Andrew ain't welcome. Let me just tell y'all that I'm not welcome. I ain't going right, But get y'all want to go. Yeah, any space Angelae and welcome, I'm not going. So I mean we move as community.
Speaker 2: But I will add one thing though, Yeah, he's you gotta go into those spaces, right like God has poured into you and you are an example of his existence. Yeah, so you going into those spaces and glowing and being successful and just as articulate and intelligent showcasing your talent. You gotta do that.
Speaker 4: Sorry, that's okay.
Speaker 5: We're coming up on time. Nick, our producer is telling us we gotta go, But I want to give you a chance to answer this question. What are the implications that you will carry long after this because I'm trying to punctuate the point to our audience that these things are life changing and it can also be life devastating.
Speaker 4: You have two girls, and so.
Speaker 5: We all celebrated, like yay, Maryland does not have to go behind bars. But there are so many other things to consider. Like you said, you lost both homes in Florida.
Speaker 4: Correct, I lost.
Speaker 2: I had to sell one for attorney's fees, and then the one is pending this appeal. The government is trying to take it.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, we want you to keep that home because you didn't do anything wrong. Is your home and America lied to us. That was the American dream, the home ownership, and you beat the odds, went to college, went to grad school and did all that. And now they took it because they played a long game. When you said on those stairs and said our time is now against the charges against the officers who were charging the murder of Freddie Gray, and then financially you still have attorney fees.
Speaker 4: I would imagine that you're still paying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there are a number of implications. I mean, right now, I'm technically a felon, right like so a felon. As a felon, we know in this country, if you're not Donald Trump with thirty four felonies and you're running for president, you are second class citizen, especially for black people. You can no longer apply for a job, you can no longer apply for housing, you can't go back to school because you can't get any financial aid, and then what other recourse do you have but to what often happens in our communities, the individuals going back and doing what they were doing in the first place. And so that's the biggest sort of sort of implication as a result of this conviction. I'm hopeful though I operate in faith and not fear, and I know that God is real and he's protected me all this time. That you know, I'm hopeful that the conviction will be reversed. I think the greater sort of implications for me have always been my concern for my children, because my girls fourteen and sixteen years old, and they have had to experience this trauma with me. When I went through my anxiety, when I went through the divorce, when we went through the stress of you know, everything that was put upon me. They saw my depression, right, They saw me crying at night, they saw when I couldn't get out of bed, they saw when you know, organizations were like, I need you to resign. Right, black women organizations as a result of this ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Can we call them out because I think that they should be. The Links are.
Speaker 6: One of the organizations.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like, I don't understand. I don't want to be affiliated with women who cannot stand with me in the storm. And so if the reputator, if you are so into the white gaze that you have to say, we can't be affiliated with you anymore. Nothing about that says sisterhood to me. So I don't know if the national organization of the Links or people who represent the Links, how you all feel about it. But please, if you have some sort of justificate what we want to hear from you, but give give us a video and tell us why you thought it was appropriate and not standing with Marylyn Moseby when over one hundred thousand people did so stood with her that they signed a petition. But I believe it's more than one hundred thousand people who are cheering for you, Maryland. So that's very disappointing. So I know how you feel.
Speaker 2: That's no, and I appreciate that, TIF and I appreciate the question. But it was in that moment that my daughter, I had it on the speakerphone in my ought have heard them say we need your resignation and started crying right like. So those are the implications that are, like I guess, long term effects. So we put our girls in therapy. God has been so good to them. He's covered them. They are amazing. You know, we just dropped off nilin after the State of the People. We had a phenomenal State of the People in Baltimore. Let me tell you. The national team was amazing. I met so many talented folks, the visionary leadership of Angela again bringing you know, all of the services connecting the dots for local and national folks there. But I couldn't make the last day and I was so disappointed. I wanted to see Joy read as well as you, Tiffany, and I missed you. But we had to take my daughter to a pre college program. So God has been so good to me. I have no reason to complain.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 5: Amazing, and Angela thanked everybody, and obvious we were right there with Angela, but it really was her who looked into your case and said she in multiple chats, she was dropped like do y'all know? Have y'all read about this? What's happening? And we were all right behind her, But it was her to initially raise this to a national profile because I really believe it would have gone another way.
Speaker 4: You know, says it right. I would have been as shine the light on things to see the truth.
Speaker 3: And so can I just say one more shout out? I know, Tiff, but I just want to say one more shout out.
Speaker 4: Joy read I know.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not was amazing.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not being humble. I like to be honest about what is in my wheelhouse to do and what is not. Joy had a phenomenal platform on a network that shall not be named because we shall not watch. But when Joy broke that case down, Okay, Tiff, when Joy broke that case down, it went viral.
Speaker 4: People were like, oh.
Speaker 3: My god, and she did it. You guys had the interview. I mean it just anyway, everybody, we thank god.
Speaker 2: I was just like, that's that's what I mean about the earth things, just like yes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, just.
Speaker 2: Black women with black women call.
Speaker 6: I love that and y'all through that.
Speaker 7: I hope you know you are helping the shift culture because some of the battle that we have here is getting our folks to divorce themselves from the attitudes and positioning racists, white supremacist men who have said how we're all supposed to feel, act and respond to these situations, accepting when they find themselves there a rarity, but excepting when.
Speaker 6: They find themselves there.
Speaker 7: And we don't need any other example beyond Donald Trump to know that the earth then moves very differently depending on who the focuses is pointed at at the time. But Merylyn sister, we love you. We thank you for taking time and bringing the listeners an update on what's going on. Your smile, your grace is effusive, and so if you're listening, I hope you can. I hope you can hear that smile through through the through the system, and if you're watching, you can certainly see the beauty in it all, so thank you, sis, and we're always there for.
Speaker 2: You than you.
Speaker 6: That was an excellent conversation, y'all. We just want to remind you. If you enjoy.
Speaker 7: Listening, learning UH and want UH to participate in these sort of brief deep dives into an issue, a topic area, please like this episode, share it with your friends, subscribe obviously forward it along with a message subscribe to a Native lamp The best thing going on the internets and in the world.
Speaker 2: UH.
Speaker 6: But for all seriousness, we love and care for Maryland. We wish you the very best.
Speaker 7: I hope you all will continue to lift her and your love and care with that we out you, Welcome home that we out here.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with reisent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.