Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff you Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's chalk and Jerry's here too, and this is stuff you should know, everybody.
Speaker 1: That's right, we're talking about one of the two things switzerm One is known for.
Speaker 2: What it's not cheese Okay, then chocolate, that's true. Three things okay, cuckoo clocks, four things, beautiful mountains, five things.
Speaker 1: Beautiful people, roasty, six things, seven things. All right, let's just cut to the chase. Then there's a lot to Switzerland, everybody. And this is just one of myriad things we could talk about, and that is Swiss neutrality. And I think this came to mind because of the recent talks between the United States and Iran and a new Switzerland had a role to play there, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, what the heck is up with that country?
Speaker 2: Did you say that out loud?
Speaker 3: I think I did, And Ruby was like, what country did?
Speaker 2: It's a good idea, Chuck. I had no idea about this, and I'm not sure if I ever would have thought of doing one on this, but it's actually pretty interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and thanks to Olivia. But I now understand it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we should say that. Right before we started recording, Jerry announced that she is the Switzerland of stuff. You should know.
Speaker 3: Jerry likes to think she is.
Speaker 2: Well, then who would be the Switzerland?
Speaker 3: We have no Switzerland.
Speaker 2: Okay, who are you?
Speaker 3: Uh? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm a mix of Turkmenistan and Denmark. Okay, all right, great, And that's just where we're going to leave this, because let's get back to talking about Switzerland, which is, like you said, known for many things, and this neutrality thing I had no idea, but it is in stark contrast to how Switzerland used to be during the Middle Ages or medieval times, if you're one of those people who goes to medieval times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know we should point out too, Switzerland's not the only neutral country. I think Livia found twenty to twenty five basically neutral countries around the world. But Switzerland it's a real like when you think of neutral countries, I think most people would say Switzerland because they've taken not just neutrality as a stance, but like a really active neutrality and like, hey, come and settle your warring disputes here in our friendly confines, or your financial disputes and our friendly confines.
Speaker 2: Yeah. As a matter of fact, Switzerland is the only country that comes to mind when I think of neutrality. I had honestly no idea that other countries were officially neutral. Yeah, like Ireland is Did you know that?
Speaker 3: No, but I believe it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, at any rate, Yes, they are the standard, the gold standard, the Nazi gold state of neutral countries. So, like I said, the whole thing kind of, I think it was officially neutral as of like the eighteen teens.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, and then eighteen fifty one, I think when they formerly became a country. But right, but yeah, but you promised talk to the Middle Ages. And it is interesting that we can go back to the thirteenth century to kind of see the beginnings of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently this is where William Tell comes from too. Did you know that? No? I know shamefully little about William Tell's I was reading I think it's swiss info ch They're like the English speaking outlet for Switzerland, and this article this guy was writing. He's like, we all know the story of William Tell, blah blah blah, And I was like, actually, I don't know anything that you just mentioned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed. He has a heck of an overture, that's all I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently so I here in the United States, everybody, we're that William Tell shot the apple off of his kid's head to show off like his skills. Apparently he was forced to do that by some evil, evil Austrian like overlords who had taken over Switzerland. And William Tell's actually a resistance fighter who helped Switzerland overthrow those Austrian overlords. Fantastic, but he comes out of this time, right. So, Switzerland, like you said, until the eighteen fifties or sixties, was a confederation. It's still known as the Swiss Confederation of Cantons, which would be like states, provinces, maybe counties, but they're independent, little municipalities that all together form Switzerland or the Swiss Confederation. And that's where the whole thing starts. Back in twelve ninety one, there was an alliance between three of these cantons. Now there's like twenty five Uri, Schwitz, Schweits maybe and untor Walden Valden Walden, yeah, yeah, and they formed the valds Thought Alliance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Stett Stett Voldstetta Alliance.
Speaker 1: I would say, I think I don't know if the East pronounce well, I know that that gives you a certain thrill, but I think the umlaut would make it a stett stett.
Speaker 2: Say it again, say the whole thing.
Speaker 1: The Woldschtez Alliance. These were basically free peasants at the time, and they you know, partially the reason this all goes down is because of their location in the Alps, kind of isolated from a lot of Europe. And so they were isolated, these free peasants from a lot of the.
Speaker 3: Feudal hierarchies all over Europe.
Speaker 1: And they were like in a good like geographic position because they were there in those mountain passes with Italy to the south and you know German speaking people's to the north, and so they were there as like hey, we're kind of here in the middle. So that kind of started the whole thing of like, hey, everyone wants to get along with them because they needed them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've they've from time to time served as a very useful buffer which has helped other outside nations support their bid for neutrality right and just to be left alone. Yeah, at the same time, that isolation, like you said, from time to time some of their neighbors would break it and try to basically take over Switzerland and in wood to varying successes from time to time. Like I said, but the isolation and the fact that they were mostly independent made Switzerland or still to this day, that gave them this fiercely independent streak as a nation that they see themselves as like it's a different thing. They're separate thing. They're nothing like a typical nation whatsoever. They're their own thing. And one of the big things, you can almost call it a brand, is their neutrality.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: And when they formed that Bulstead Alliance, it wasn't the biggest deal because that that had always kind of been the deal with them, So it was really just renewing these ties that had already been around for a long time. But everyone later on would say, oh, actually, that's kind of when Switzerland started coming together as what would later be a country. Yeah, And then more cantons came aboard, the alliance got a little bigger and started getting referred to as the old Swiss Confederation the new one that we have now, and that's when they started becoming like a real kind of piece of the military puzzle that was going on all around them.
Speaker 2: I'm very I'm certain when back in the thirteenth century they were confused when people called it the Old Swiss Confederation because it was present to them.
Speaker 3: They're like, what are you talking about.
Speaker 2: So it was around this time that the Swiss actually became militarily mighty. The Swiss actually were known for their warlike tendencies and their excellent fighting skills, so much so that as they kind of grew and started to take part in European wars during the medieval era. In the very very early modern era, apparently Niccolomachiavelli referred to them as the new Romans, this conquering group of incredibly well trained fighters that were willing to take on the world. Essentially, that's that was the image of Switzerland. It's like the total opposite of how we viewed Switzerland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: And you know, they had some pretty decent military upsets leading up to the beginning of the sixteenth century, and that's when they started to kind of move away from that idea because there were some really big countries and countries getting together and like forming larger alliances around them, and they were, you know, they were still even though they had some military might, they realized they were probably smallish compared to other places that were popping up around them, sure, notably the Holy Roman Empire. Of course, France, Spain and Italy kind of all over the place over there trying to get at least control in the sixteenth century of the Duchy of Milan, and that's when the Swiss came out and they're like, hey, you know, the different cantons had different ideas on who they should support, which would kind of become a recurring theme of like who they should have allegiance to and not necessarily agreeing. So maybe remaining neutral was the best path of least resistance, I guess. But in this case, at the time, they started out backing France, then switched to the Italians, and then at the Battle of Mariniano in fifteen fifteen, the French kind of kicked their butts, the French and Venetians, and they were like, all right, we lost ten thousand infantry people, so like, maybe we need to really rethink putting our eggs in baskets of other countries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ten thousand was half of the entire Swiss military force was killed at this one battle. So yeah, It was a really big deal, so much so that they were like, yeah, this whole warlike thing is not really working out all of a sudden, let's explore the idea of being neutral. And it wasn't just that, but from everything I've seen, that battle was a decisive turning point for the mentality among the Swiss about, you know, taking part in European wars. But there were other things that kind of contributed to that decision. One was the Protestant Reformation, because different cantons in different parts of the country supported or were Protestant or were Catholic, right, Yeah, And that's a very sticky situation when you're trying to keep these cantons part of a confederation. Right, there's no central government that's telling the cantons, no, you can't do this, No you can't do that. They're a confederation essentially, so they're all still quite independent, but they're all still also Swiss. So that in and of itself meant like, how can you participate in European wars when half of your cantons want to go to war with one another?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, in the wars out and the rest of Europe are about are between Protestants and Catholics like, you just can't do that. So the Swiss said, you know what, let's just stay neutral. And this is a good example of how being neutral has literally kept the country together many times over the years, Like where they're like, our differences, as our differences of opinion are too great right now among the Cans, so we're just going to not have an opinion officially as a country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Another thing that helped was they got a pretty sweet financial deal out of the end of the conflict with France in fifteen sixteen. That peace treaty gave them access to French markets. They had I think internally they were like, I'm not sure if they noticed, but we can do business with France now, and we could already do business business with other people, So let's just keep flying under the radar here financially speaking, because they've got the best of both worlds. So they had no one to like financial incidentive to bust up. Almost said bust that move, but that would be the right term.
Speaker 2: Ial think bus a move on French markets. Yeah, sure, okay, yeah, so yes, this is where their business image also started to Yeah, this is where the three piece suit was invented in the peace treaty between France and Europe in fifteen sixteen.
Speaker 3: And let's see, here's a great example. I have no idea whether to believe you or not. At this point in my life.
Speaker 2: I don't know whether to believe me or not.
Speaker 3: Even at least were aligned.
Speaker 2: So this is a I don't know if you're picking up on this, chuck. This is a time of frequent wars across Europe. And that's the problem. When you put authoritarian despots in charge with limitless riches. They the elites wanted to compete among themselves because they want to have the biggest castle, or I want to have the most people at my command. Yeah, I want to torture the most people, right, And they start competing with each other and they send their own people off to war with one another. It's a great lesson today. It was something to learn from, and it happened a lot during this era.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, there were a lot of threats to kind of break up this neutrality. The Thirty Years War was a big one in sixteen eighteen because again they were divided sympathies I guess within those cantons, because what you talked about, but religion for the most part, and if you got involved in that war as Switzerland, that would have kind of torn apart this confederation that they had worked so hard to keep together. And so again they were like, hey, let's we got to keep a good thing going here. Let's remain neutral. And in sixteen forty six the Swedes were sort of threatening them, and so they're like, well, we need to at least have an army though for national defense. We can be neutral, but we can't be we can't be rubesure. So each canton had like quotas for troops that they had to supply, and that's when they were like kind of formed that army of for defense purposes, which still exist today.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they created an army in sixteen forty six, and then two years later really big thing happened. It's just enormous. I'm really impressed. There is this guy named Johann Rudolph vechtein Yeah, sounds great. He was the mayor of Basil, right, and the Thirty Years War came to an end in sixteen forty eight through the piece of Westphalia, and vechtein Stein showed up to the piece of West Fallia Treaty negotiations. He said, I'm glad you guys are doing this. This is fantastic. Keep up the good work. Also, I want to talk to everybody about something, even though I'm just the mayor of Bosel. I want to make sure that Switzerland is represented here because we're just neutral and we think that we should no longer be under the thumb of the Holy Roman Empire. We think that we should have recognition as an dependent nation and also we want to be neutral too, And he got it passed through, like he gained recognition from these major powers of Europe that Switzerland was now its own country. Holy Roman Empire, Sorry, you just lost Switzerland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that was I'm not sure how he pulled that off actually at the time, you know.
Speaker 2: With a lottery chocolate I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: That, yeah, and cuckoo clocks.
Speaker 1: So about one hundred years after that, there was another threat to their neutrality. This was seventeen nineties, late seventeen nineties when the French Revolutionary Republic and Austria and Russia were going at it and they kind of eat that battle into Switzerland some and I think after that victory that was like seventeen ninety eight, close to eighteen hundred, the French government created the Helvetic Republic assistern Nation, and that covered a lot of Switzerland.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They basically, he said, oh, we just happened to create this country that just is within the borders of Switzerland.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Switzerland, see some overlap there, guys. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They basically turned it into a territory. And this is pretty much par for the course for Napoleon. He really kind of sealed the deal when he sent an army to occupy Switzerland, I guess to protect his new made up country of Helvetic. I want to say Helvetica is so bad. But he essentially plundered Switzerland for the next decade in resources and humans. And actually, when he invaded Russia in eighteen twelve, he brought some Swiss troops with him and they did not do very well there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they sent nine thousand troops in seven hundred only seven hundred came home. Yeah, you know, the tide finally turned against Napoleon, and so they were like, all right, thank.
Speaker 3: God, we got rid of this guy. Yeah. And so after the Battle of.
Speaker 1: Leipzig in I believe eighteen thirteen, they were like all right, we're back to being neutral again. We do have our military force, but we're not gonna fight anymore. And in fact, in December of eighteen thirteen, when the Austrian Imperial Army was like, all right, we want to march through your country to go to France, They're like, fine, go right ahead, we'll just let you do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just turned their backs and whistled. So one other thing happened. There was another another guy named Charles Pictet de Rochemont, and also in eighteen thirteen, during the peace treaty that ended well Napoleon's reign, I guess essentially he showed up and he said, also, we want to make sure that we're still getting recognized. We're now the Swiss Confederation. And everyone said, you mean the old Swiss Confederation and de Rochemont said, no, no, this is brand new. It's a new Swiss Confederation. You guys are gonna love it. And he was first just the mayor of Geneva, which was actually a city state, independenceay state, part of a canton now and I guess he did such a good job that he ended up representing Switzerland as a whole. And this is where their perpetual neutrality was established at the eighteen fourteen Congress of Vienna.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, and that was it.
Speaker 1: I mean people generally look back to eighteen fifteen as like that's when everything really officially kind of started. When they became a unified federal state in eighteen forty eight, was when the final stamp was stamped.
Speaker 2: Right, So now we've reached the point where modern Switzerland is born and it is officially neutral. It's a sovereign nation, but it's still a confederation. Don't forget that.
Speaker 1: That's right, and that is where we're going to take a break and we'll be right back with more Swiss neutrality right after this.
Speaker 2: So, Chuck, we're in Switzerland now. It's a nice established country and part of it is very lovely. Part of what you said it needs and should have is a military for defense, and still today it has a military. In fact, I believe this month the military assembled like four thousand troops along the border to basically just keep any of the ne'er do wells at the G seventh summit spilling over, because the G seventh summits in France right now, that's right, But there I guess military presence states back I mean much further obviously, but the modern version of it is from like the nineteenth century, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, they have to abide by certain rules that have happened since then, like the the Hague Convention nineteen oh seven. If you're a neutral country, which I guess there's like twenty three or so now that we've learned that, they can't fight in a war. They can't support any other countries warring parties. They can't send them weapons like most other countries do. They can't send money to help out in a war. They can't say hey, we'll host a base here, or your foreign troops can stay here for a little while. So, you know, they have to remain truly neutral under the Hague Convention, which they were. I'm sure they were quite delighted to make it official. But they again they've maintained that army because they have to have their own defense. And also we should point out that the Swiss army knife kind of came around in the nineteenth century, the eighteen eighties. It's like a literal, you know, if you didn't think the Swiss had an army, they had a knife named after them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course they had an army.
Speaker 2: For sure, and I mean it really is this army knife. They just call it the army knife. I'm guessing in Switzerland, but everywhere army knife, Swiss army knife. Yeah. Like the cake roll.
Speaker 3: God, I forgot about the cake roll that's another thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I don't know that they know that Little Debbie is putting their name on its cake rolls, because I think they would have a problem with that. Yeah, yeah, look it up, Switzerland, You're not going to be happy. So World War One was a threat. Obviously all of Europe was fighting, but I don't believe Switzerland was drawn into it much. World War Two was a much greater threat. They had to work much harder to stay neutral and to keep the other countries out. And when Germany occupied France, all of a sudden, Switzerland was surrounded by the Axis and it was a very nervous time. And they managed to to amass an army of I think four hundred thousand troops in the Alps, and they let everybody know we're staying neutral, but if you come here, we're going to beat you badly. And it generally worked. I saw that they were accidentally bombed several times that other powers basically said, oh, we didn't mean to bomb you, sorry, but you know, we killed a bunch of your people. But for the most part, you know, it worked in that they were never invaded by anyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: You know, just because your neutral doesn't mean that you have like you're not taking part in anything to do with the war. So they've as you'll see, you know, we'll talk about a little later. They have a long tradition of receiving refugees like war refugees, but kind of shamefully like the US and a lot of other places during in the aftermath or during World War Two, they they prevented a lot of Jewish people from from the Holocaust from finding refuge there. So that's that's one of the sort of dark spots.
Speaker 2: Sure. And then still today, if you are a man between ages eighteen and thirty four, you have to enlist in the military, or if you're a conscientious objector and say I'm not carrying a gun around, you can also there's some civilian services you can enlist in. And then if you're a woman you can also do it, but it's voluntary, you're not required to and I think today they have one hundred and fifty thousand active and reserved troops, and just like back in the day, each canton has to fulfill a quota and they have their own civilian defense forces.
Speaker 1: That's right, which is you know, it would be foolish not too at this point in world history for sure.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's still a military despite the fact that they're neutral. I feel like we've managed to drive that point home.
Speaker 3: That's the stuff you should know. Ay, So.
Speaker 1: This whole idea that we mentioned kind of early on, as as Switzerland taking an active role in neutrality and not just being like, hey, just leave us alone, sure, where they're like, we will host your your dealings with one another, and we've become a center of arbitration for the world. Basically that started out basically in like the mid nineteenth century. The Geneva and Basil Chambers of Commerce said hey, let's get a system together and let's make this like, let's get serious about this and put some structure around what we want to do. And they got their first stab at that, I guess in eighteen seventy two, when it was around the Civil War, when negotiators from the United States and Great Britain went to Geneva and worked out what we're called the Alabama Claims, which were about losses caused by these British built Confederate ships, one of which was the Alabama during the Civil War. Britain ended up having to pay damages there and that started the whole system of like saying, hey, Geneva's pretty nice, you guys, we're pretty chill, and why don't you just come here to settle your disputes in our courtroom, the people's court, right, and then the bongo jobs started.
Speaker 2: I did not see Alabama coming up in an episode on Swiss New Neutrality, did you.
Speaker 3: I did not either.
Speaker 2: So since then, like you said, they literally wrote the rules on arbitration, and since then, like they have had some pretty high profile arbitration meetings, so much so that they eventually worked what are called the good Offices, which are everything from like a meeting place to mediation services for arbitration. It's worked into the Swiss Federal constitution, so they like that's a huge part of Switzerland maintaining its neutrality, as saying like, come take advantage of our neutral territory, like this is a place where you can meet and work out your differences. Let's all just work out our differences. Guy and I saw chook. One other thing that they do, which is really surprising. They represent the interests of country who are not speaking to each other. So I think that they represent Iran in Canada. So let's take Iran's like, we're not even talking to you Canada anymore. We're gonna get Switzerland to meet with you. We're not even going to be in the same room with you. They do that for several different countries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's uh, they provide a service. I wonder what kind of like do they charge a fee for this?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure that there's fees involved.
Speaker 1: Sure, even if it's just like you know, the hotels in Geneva are very overprised.
Speaker 2: Dude, I'll bet you their like, like coffee service at these meetings.
Speaker 3: And comences are amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean because they got they got to get something out of it besides neutrality.
Speaker 2: Sure. So, I you know, I knew like the Swiss were known for being very business like. I did not realize the extent that that is true. I believe that the Swiss mentality is generally like, yes, it's business. We conduct our business appropriately fairly, like we are really good at it. We have good contracts, like we are really business like, and that that is like, yes, that they are probably getting something for all of the services they're providing, because that's business.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure. Yeah, I bet you're absolutely right.
Speaker 1: They're also known for their real push toward humanitarian aid all around the world, especially during times of conflict. Yeah, no less than the Red Cross, still based in Geneva, and if you look at their symbol, it's the inverse of the Swiss flag and that's no accident. But that all started out because of a Genevan businessman named Henry Jannant Saint Henry, Yeah for real. In eighteen fifty nine, he was in Sulfarino, a town in the north of Italy who's there for work, and he saw the aftermath of a battle between French and Austria and saw like forty thousand you know, dead and wounded soldiers all about him, and it really really moved him and put a dent in a psyche. I think because he got like personally involved, started helping out locals, started providing medical assistance, dressing wounds, like you know, literally himself doing this and spoke to French officials. It was like, hey, you got a bunch of Austrian surgeons who are POW's, like, let them out and let them help their own people, and let them help your people. And it moved him to the point where he kind of dedicated his life to it. He wrote a book called A Memory of Sulfurino and talked about these experiences in the creation of these committees that would train volunteers, and that's the stuff that would become the first national Red Cross Society.
Speaker 2: Yeah you feel like, okay, that's pretty impressive. Well prepare for this one too. You've heard of the Geneva Convention of the Treatment of Prisoners of War.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well.
Speaker 2: That was his work. He started arguing and lobbying for some sort of international agreements on how to treat the sick and the wounded in the prisoners of war and that became the first Geneva Convention in eighteen sixty four.
Speaker 3: Pretty great.
Speaker 1: And the YMCA that you know in love he didn't create the YMCA, but do not really made it a global global movement and the World Alliance of the YMCA is also still in Geneva.
Speaker 2: So two things when I hear YMCA, obviously think village people. But I also think of this great moment from a Simpsons episode where Lionel Hutts is staying there at the YMCA and he's asleep, sitting down with his backup against the wall and his knees pulled up to his chest and his elbows on his knees and his head down, so you can imagine, and I think Bart and Lisa walk up and wake him up, and he suddenly comes awake and he has it. He brandishes a knife and he says, don't touch my stuff. Like that's he was staying at the YA. That was his experience there.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good. I love it, oh man, Lionel huts was the best.
Speaker 2: Yes he was, so if you're like, okay, still Dunant's impressive. But he was probably also just some crazy billionaire who just wanted to make a good name for himself wrong. As a matter of fact, all of this humanitarian work that he focused on led to him becoming bankrupt. He wasn't paying enough attention to his business, and so he lost his business, became bankrupt and essentially unknown for a couple of decades until eighteen ninety five. There was a journalist who's like, oh my god, this guy. I know this guy, and he's living like obscurely in poverty. I need to let everybody know about him. And he was one of the co recipients of the first Nobel Peace Prize in nineteen oh one. Quite rightfully so. But this guy was seriously, legitimately a good person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've seen this kind of one of my favorite things.
Speaker 1: It happen quite a bit in history where someone has done great things, but we're sort of lost to history, and then some journalists or somebody in or historian dug them up, well not literally, but you know, dug up their legacy and brushed it off and said, hey, how about this awesome person that we kind of forgot about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's nice when they're still alive too, so they can get the recognition. And maybe you're like, Okay, I'll bet he owned slaves or something like that. Nope, he was agitating for the abolition of slavery, or he was a gun nut. Nope, agitating for disarmament like he was. He was a humanitarian, if there was ever a humanitarian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, I say we take another break.
Speaker 2: Is that good? Yeah? I think we're at a good break. Let's all just think about how great Henry Don is.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's spend a few moments doing that, and we'll be right back. All right. I dwelled on the.
Speaker 1: Life of Henry do not, and I feel even better than I did a few minutes ago.
Speaker 2: Same.
Speaker 1: But we're gonna move on and talk a little bit about some of the you know, it's not all I talked about, you know, one sort of darkness and that they didn't allow Jewish refugees en mass during World War Two. There's some other stuff that they have on their record that's not the greatest in the world. I guess we should talk about Nazi gold a little bit. But in order to talk about that, we should probably talk a little bit about just there. You know, you talked about them being, you know, brilliant business people and a center for business around the world. That happened because after they became formerly neutral in eighteen fifteen, they said, you know what, this is probably a good place for people to put their mind because we're neutral.
Speaker 3: It's safe.
Speaker 1: Anytime there's a lot of chaos around the world, like with World Wars, everyone knows that they can come here and do some banking. We may not be like, you know, like a world banking center with like by the likes of London or Berlin, but we can become pretty quietly powerful in our own way, especially if we tell everyone that all their business will be super private, if you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they put an emphasis on that kind of thing, where like, if you open an account in Switzerland for decades and most of the twentieth century in fact, if not longer, you could have a secret bank account where like nobody could really figure it out. And that's it's not fully true. Like I think if say the US government came with a subpoena to find out who the owner was of a specific account, this was we'd cooperate with them. But for the most part, this was secret stuff, right, and that was how they made their name as an international banking center. But also because like again they are really really good at business, so you knew that this was like your money was safe not just because Switzerland was stable, but because their banking system was incredibly stable. So a lot of people took advantage of that. Dictators, money launders, eventually, drug dealers, terrorists, basically anyone Jackie Chanen, anyone you can think of who wanted to evade taxes, launder money, or just wanted to have their money stashed away, you know, quietly, and weren't really breaking any laws. You went to Switzerland. Like it's almost a trope. I think it is a true the secret Swiss bank account that you would have money transferred to.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that officially became official with the Federal Banking Act of nineteen thirty four, to the utter delight of screenwriters everywhere then and to come. But that unfortunately dried up in the nineteen nineties when they were like, all right, no more secret accounts. I guess we got to get rid of that provision. But yeah, it worked this way into a lot of movies over the years, just like you know, a numbered Swiss bank account that's growing up with, especially like Cold War movies and stuff like that, spy thrillers. It was always like a secret Swiss bank account. I feel like at play.
Speaker 2: They ended up removing that ability from the Swiss banking system because it started to come out just how many bad guys, right, we're using it where in Switzerland was allowing it to happen, So their banking system took a hit, you know, it's image, and they're like, we can't afford to do that. We're not making enough money off of drug dealers and terrorists. We need to you know, brush our image back up. So that's when they got rid of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and their image probably needed a little brushing up because you know, I think I mentioned something about Nazi gold, or if I didn't, I'm mentioning it for the first time now. But they because of World War Two, they the Swiss National Bank ended up buying about four hundred and forty million dollars in Nazi gold, which was basically, you know, laundering that gold that was plundered that we've talked about a lot of times, like the plundering of World War two of the Germans from you know, different countries, brutally from Holocaust victims. I know, we've mentioned stuff like gold dental fillings and stuff. Yeah that was real, Yeah, from Jewish concentration camp victims. And so it's not a good look for the Swiss National Bank to be holding onto this stuff. So later, with the Washington Agreement of nineteen forty six, they were made to return, well at least some of that Nazi gold not much of it, only about twelve percent of it supposedly to its rightful owners, and that's you know. They ended up using it for other stuff too, though. They used to sometimes is funds to repay citizens of Switzerland who had seized property by communist regimes in Europe. So they were like, hey, maybe we'll use some of this Nazi gold to repay our own coffers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you said that, they, you know, basically laundered it. They one hundred percent laundered this. So they the Nazis showed up with literally tons and tons of gold, hundreds of tons of gold that was stolen from other countries, gave it to Switzerland. Switzerland gave the Nazi regime money, lots and lots of money in return, and then Switzerland turned around and took that gold and sold it to Spain and Portugal. So they fenced stolen gold for the Nazis and gave the Nazis money in return. It's as simple as that. People then know this until the nineteen nineties, when Switzerland was sued by a few organizations, including the World Jewish Congress. That was bad enough. So this is coming out at the same time that the secret account stuff is coming out too, So Switzerland's taking like one, two punches, haymakers, ropidopes even left and right. And then on top of that, even worse, you said that they were returning twelve percent of the Nazi gold to its rightful owners as part of the Washington Agreement of nineteen forty six. Well, a lot of people who were fleeing Germany or fleeing the Nazi regime, or fleeing the Holocaust but wanted to kind of keep their valuables in a safe place went to Switzerland to put money in bank accounts, to put valuable items in safe deposit boxes. And after the war ended, their heirs would show up and say, you know, my grandpa or my dad or somebody put this, you know, this family heirloom, this hope diamond in a safe deposit box in your bank, and I'm here to claim it. Here's all the documentation that i'm their rightful heir. And they would say, all of your papers look like they're in order, but I don't see a death certificate. And the air would say, well, my father or grandpa or whatever died in a concentration camp. The Nazis didn't issue death certific kids for that they kind of wanted to keep it secret, and this Swiss would say, sorry, can't help you, and they did that across the board. So they basically kept hundreds of millions of dollars is the accusation of legitimate deposits from legitimate errors of victims of the Holocaust.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and well a lot of times they didn't even have documentation at all, you know, much less death certificates because that stuff was destroyed in the war. Finally, in nineteen forty six they promised to say, all right, we're gonna find these assets of Holocaust victims from people who have no like, identifiable errors, and we're going to at least transfer them to a Jewish reconstruction organization. And decades later they basically concluded that that didn't really happen. And then nineteen ninety I think was when you said, finally, like fully like was exposed and there was a sus from the World Jewish Congress that got a one point two to five billion dollar settlement.
Speaker 3: Finally in nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again since then, the Swiss have been doing everything they can to kind of rehabilitate their image, but at the same time, they have also shown like they're not ones to just immediately bow to international pressure. The way that you get them is to hit them in their pocketbooks, like threaten their business or their entire banking industry. That's kind of what the pressure from the outside world was doing. Yeah, so sure they seem to have rebounded largely. There are some other things that make Switzerland peculiar too that are much less evil or dark. One is that they really are in a kind of a weird position as far as international groups go. Like in some ways, like it makes a lot of sense that they're the host of the International Red Cross headquarters Geneva, is right, But what about the UN? Should they be members of the UN? The UN? Does they have like peacekeeping troops with guns and stuff like that? Is what are the ramifications of Switzerland joining the UN? And they debated that for decades.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they finally, I mean it wasn't until two thousand and two that they even joined the UN. And like you said, it took a long time to kind of work out internally whether or not that's something they wanted to do or that would kind of ruin all those decades and decades of neutrality that they had become known for. There was a referendum that they eventually voted on whether or not to become a member, and advocates said, you know what, if we get involved with them, we can get involved and still like be committed to mediation and humanitarian aid, like that will be our role within the UN.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: And it was a pretty close vote.
Speaker 1: It was fifty four point six in favor and twelve yeah, almost like right at half. Twelve out of the twenty three cantons voted yes. And then finally in twenty twenty three it became a non permanent member of the UN Security.
Speaker 3: Council, that's those peacekeeping troops.
Speaker 1: That's right, And that was another you know, it wasn't It was pretty evenly split as well, so like even within the country they've always sort of hedged like whether or not they wanted to support joining up with these world groups, you know.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, and for good reason too. I mean it's tricky stuff. One of the places or one of the groups that they are just roundly rejecting, so much so that they basically told the EU like we're not we're not negotiating anymore, We're not joining the European Union, and the reason why they actually have pretty legitimate reasons why, especially if you come at life from a business like attitude. But one is that they would immediately be a net contributor. They would be paying out way more than they were benefiting from being a member of the EU. And the reason why is because they basically have cherry treaties with all of the European countries to do business with them, which is like the attractive thing for a rich country to join the EU. So they have that without being part of the EU, without having to pay into the EU right now, So they have the best of both worlds and really negative incentive, a number of negative incentives to join the EU.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Another is they just they really love taking care of their own business what they would call direct democracy and deciding for them what's best for them. And if you're part of the EU, then obviously you're part of a larger collective and you don't like just individual citizens' ability to decide things for themselves and hold those referendums that would go away, and so they're not into that. And also just you know, they built up this neutral brand over the years and it's not like branding, branding but it kind of is, and that they don't want to just throw that all away. After again, you know, more than one hundred years more than that actually of like being known. Like you know, when you think neutral and you think chocolate and you think cuckoo clocks and army knives, you think of Switzerland, and they don't want that to go away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you think thirst, you think sprite. When you think neutral, you think of Switzerland.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: There's another thing too that being a member of the EU means that any member nation or the residents of any member nation or the EU can move to your place unrestricted as far as I know. So immigration is free throughout the European Union, and Switzerland's like, we actually are pretty strict on immigration, and we're worried that if we get a lot of people migrating to Switzerland, the wages in Switzerland are going to start to be decompressed because a lot of people migrating here are willing to accept far less than what the average Swiss person is paid. So yeah, essentially, every they have all these incentives, you know, morally upstanding or not to not join the EU, and it does not look like they are ever going to join the EU.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or NATO obviously, that's a warring organization for sure, or not a warring organization, but a military alliance for sure.
Speaker 2: And for all of its blemishes and rough spots and all that, I hope Switzerland stays Switzerland.
Speaker 3: You know, it would be I think everyone does.
Speaker 2: I think the world would kind of lose something if if Switzerland just became like any other country. You know, agreed, Well, that's Switzerland, Chuck, Swiss neutrality, I should say, that's right. If you want to know more about Swiss neutrality, travel of Switzerland, or watch a documentary on Switzerland. And in the meantime, it's time for listener mail.
Speaker 1: There's another Mash follow up. Hey guys, huge Mash fan. I'm a bit older than Chuck and still only twelve when it debuted. It was a perfect blend of comedy and poignant drama showing the horrors of war. I always thought the writing was brilliant and did take characters on a great growth art being a closeted gay kid now openly and very happy gay man.
Speaker 3: It was one of the first times.
Speaker 1: That a TV show dealt with the subject of homosexuality in a sympathetic way, even if only on one episode. I was such a fan that I'd developed a mash trivia game similar to Trivial Pursuit, and a number of details you mentioned in your episode were part of the game, like Toledo and Tony Pacos.
Speaker 3: So great job, guys.
Speaker 1: You always do a great job and are so pleasant to listen to on my daily walks and whenever you guys touch on LGTVQ plus topics.
Speaker 3: You do an amazing jobs to straight guys. So thank you for that.
Speaker 1: And that is from Dave in Vancouver. And Dave, I hope you're coming to see our live.
Speaker 3: Show in Vancouver. Yeah, we can't wait.
Speaker 1: There's still tickets available for all of the Well, I guess the first LUG will be over by this time, but that second leg in July I believe is probably somewhere around this time.
Speaker 3: We'd love to see everyone.
Speaker 2: Coming up quick, Dave, So yeah, we'd love to see you too. You can watch Just be Too Straight Guys live and in person.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: If you want to be like Dave and let us know how much you like us, we really appreciate those kind of emails. Or you can say whatever you like whatever you have to say, send it off to stuff Podcasts at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 3: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.