Speaker 1: Welcome to Money and Wealth with John O'Briant, a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network and iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, Hey is John O'Briant.
Speaker 1: And this is the Money and Wealth podcast series, Season three on the iHeartRadio platform on the Black Effect Network. Thank you everyone for making this podcast one of the top fifty for entrepreneurship in the nation, top one fifty two hundred for business, and top two fifty in the world on every content for entrepreneurship and business, and in the LACP nominee for their Image Awards.
Speaker 3: We're on the move.
Speaker 1: And today is one of those special episodes where I bring a guest on. As you know if you've been following me, oftentimes I just spend an hour forty five minutes for an hour pouring into you myself on a topic that I believe that I have proficiency in. I bring guests on. When two plus two equals six, eight or ten, when the relationship is defined is better together. It's multiplication, not just addition. I'm Michael Milkin, an ambassador, Andrew J. Young, a Bishop TD Jakes, someone who's top of the mark Tony Wrestler's coming, who owns a lot of hawks and built so many companies, and today is one of those days. I have my brother from another mother, my dear friend, an underrated genius, Van Jones, who you probably know as a global CNN commentator, co host and journalists. You know him politically, you know him from wherever you know him from. I know him slightly differently. Break this down as we talk about and by the way, I'm honored to introduce him today also as the co chair with me for Hope AI, which will give you some sense of what this conversation is about today. So honored to have Van as my co chair of Hope AI. And to tell your intentional this is my coach chair for Financial Literacy for All was Doug mc millan, the CEO of Walmart and is now the CEO of Delta Airlines ed Bashan for twenty twenty six. My co chair for the AI Ethics Council is Sam Alkman, and so I'm honored to have the co chair of the Future of AI with Van Jones. Here's what you don't know about Van. Undergraduate degree the University of Tennessee. There we go a bachelor's degree in communications and political science. From there, law degrees law school, Yale Law School. Did you know that a juris doctorate a jd. And I believe you also went to MIT, is that right?
Speaker 4: A fellow at MIT, professor and a fellow at Princeton. A couple of little places like that that I don't talk about a lot because I got my best education from Willie Jones and Levetta Jones and Little Jackson, Tennessee, where I grew up.
Speaker 3: Man, let's get into this.
Speaker 1: Man, By the way, is there anything else that the audience would uh not know that's not obvious that we should share for context for this conversation. As far as your background, your focus, where you're spending your time, your intellect, I know you spent a lot of time reading and studying the world.
Speaker 4: Look, I mean I think a lot of times people think I was born on the set of CNN.
Speaker 2: Right next to the eds of Just.
Speaker 3: Happen.
Speaker 4: That would have been gross bhoom exactly. Now that'll be a long before. You know, I've been on TV for about fourteen years. But you know before that, I was mainly focused on you know, black stuff tough.
Speaker 2: Can you unit?
Speaker 4: These constituencies built the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights, colorf Change, dot Org, A Reform Alliance, Green for All, and other organizations trying to get black folk out of jail into jobs. That's been my fundamental kind of commitment. And I'm very proud to have gotten legislation passed signed by George W. Bush and Donald Trump, but also got a chance to work for Barack Obama in the White House and and.
Speaker 1: Work for it is another first. He was the first environmental advisor to any president United States of America in the history of this country. Work it was an advisor to president of Barack Obama.
Speaker 3: Was that right? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the first, the first clean energy uh green jobs advisor ever. And and the legislation that I got a chance to help implement when I was at the White House level, actually was the main advocate for when I got George W. Bush's signing. So I I really have fought my whole life to try to figure out what is the black future. How can we get black communities and other underrepresented, underestimated communities the hope and help that we need to be able to not be victims but to actually be architects of the future. That's been my main thing. So that's why I focused on solar energy and that revolution. That's why I focused on alternatives to incarcerations so we don't lose so much black genius to jail celles. And you know, I got a chance to work with Prince for six years, helped him with his philanthropy.
Speaker 2: He backed me.
Speaker 4: On Yes We Code, and that's really where I want to kind of start if I can, John, because Reverend Jackson passing away to me has been a life changing event because he was a person who opened up doors for me in Silicon Valley back in twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen, when Silicon Valley was a completely black box. We had no idea where the technology companies hiring any African Americans, we were being promoted. It was completely a black box. And it was Reverend Jackson who bought some shares in some of these companies and went to those shareholder meetings and encouraged them to open up the books. And it turned out that African Americans were woefully underrepresented in Silicon Valley, and so Prince and I launched a campaign called Yes We Code, Now Yes we Can, Yes We Code to begin to try to get more opportunity.
Speaker 2: And we were working with.
Speaker 4: Facebook, Meta Now and other groups, and I saw things, and then also being a fellow at MIT for two years, I learned a lot about technology, and I learned a lot about how technology is going to determine a lot about the future and the importers of us being present.
Speaker 1: Before a fan goes any further, and I'm gonna do what I don't do a lot. I'm gonna shut up this whole podcast let him talk because I think he's that brilliant.
Speaker 3: I want to say something to the audience. We've got to.
Speaker 1: Stop being offended and start being affected and being effective. Stop being offended, stop getting your feelings hurt right, stop being obsessed with with how somebody's saying something, and figure about what they're saying and what's the meaning behind what they're saying and seeing if you can, let's just stop stepping over mess not in it. Van is working to I mean net net to advance all people with an emphasis on our people.
Speaker 2: And what he's.
Speaker 3: Done around criminal justice reform.
Speaker 1: I'm not crazy about some of the folks he's worked with, But you know, somebody asked me before are you going to go to president go to dinner with President Bush and President Clinton? Like, Well, Yeah, I'm gonna go to dinner at President Bush because I respect him. I'm gonna go to dinner with President Clinton because I like him. Actually like President Bush now too, but I'm still going to dinner.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It's really interesting. We love President Bush.
Speaker 2: Today we.
Speaker 3: Called him the devil please come back.
Speaker 2: You know how good we had it back in those days.
Speaker 1: Look, I appreciate capitalists. They called me a republic's twenty years ago. I understand what I was doing. Then, what I was doing they called me up kind of names. And now now you know, I mean whatever I mean. All that stuff is falling away, and I stay focused on this mission of making capitalists work for all of God's children and bringing people and dragging people in the future and talking to people straight. And I just want people to to to to go to the DNA, go to the Cora van Jones and say is that the truth? Is what he's saying accurate, is what he's doing important? And you're about to hear an example of that in this podcast.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And he's he's working in areas where most of us are not working with people, most of us don't have access to I only nobody else got one hundred million dollars from a tech a tech billionaire to do as he likes, which is what he got from. There's another thing knowing is from Jeff Bezos and Amazon. Jeff didn't give a hundred bion dollars. He had nothing else to do, and he did it because he thought he thought Van was the most effective dude. Uh he'd met. And the story goes on and on and on. Get to know this guy as a person and as a as a and as a mentalist and as a and as a brilliant thinker.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then let's figure out whether we can benefit from what he's saying and what he's doing.
Speaker 3: Because I sure am over to you, Van Jones.
Speaker 2: Who I love well, I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: And what I would just say to anybody's like, I know, I'm not everybody's cup of tea, and that's perfectly fine with me, Like I am.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's true, but anyway, go.
Speaker 4: Ahead, but I just just say, like, my soul is rested because I've been so blessed. You know, my father was born in a shotgun shack in Memphis, Tennessee, or on Cable Street in Orange Mound, Memphis. Anybody knows anything about Tennessee, knows what I said. At Orange Mound, that was the toughest, roughest black neighborhood. And he came out of there and joined the military and put himself through college and married a college president's daughter, my mother, and put his brother through college and a cousin through college, and me and my twin sister through college. And when he died, the picture they put on the funeral program was my father standing in front of Yale Law School with his arms in the air, saying, look look at what we've done.
Speaker 2: And so you know my father was pleased with me. And when you have that, you.
Speaker 4: Know that's enough. You know somebody loved your mother, your grandmother, whoever was that. If you can look at those people who saw you when you were little and were struggling, if they're pleased with you, then the world you know best. As a number two vote.
Speaker 3: Amen, I've been.
Speaker 4: Black, folks. I mean sometimes we don't think it all the way through. People fought hard for me John to be able to go to the University of Tennessee at Martin on a minority scholarship. I never met those people, but somebody had to have an argument a fight to say, listen, these public schools in Tennessee are still almost all white. And somebody fought and they said, we got to put a minority scholarship program together at the University of Tennessee. They fought for me to be able to get that, and I got it. Somebody at Yale Law School fought to say, listen, ten thousand kids apply to Yale Law School. We only let it in one hundred and twenty. So if we can find a kid that's got an outstanding LSAT scored nineties percentile as a black kid from the rural south of the state school, we need to let that kid have a chance. I know that was the person was they fought for me. I took advantage of that, and on down the line, people were fighting open doors for kids like me. I was born in sixty eight, the same year they killed doctor King. But what we have to think about is if you fought for me to get into Yale and into Princeton and into MIT, when I come back, I might be a little bit different.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: You can't fight to get kids like me into all these institutions and expect us to come home exactly the same. So I need some mercy and some grace for my people to say, if you wanted me to go to all these places and maybe I see the world a little bit different, can we make that an advantage for all of us. Can we add what I learned to what you learned and what you would you know, and now we're all smarter together. That's how I want to be. But what I learned along the way, I do see things very differently. I know what's coming with the technology. I don't have to guess. I was just at a conference that Peter Diamanda's convened called the Abundance Conference. To somebody who's name, everyone should begin to learn because he's a white guy. Uh. He's been at the center of this technological revolution externial technology. He's the inventor of the X Prize. He's written a number of books, including The Future Is Faster Than You Think. And his conference pulls together the biggest people in deep tech in the world. I'm talking about people who are doing quantum computing, AI, biotech, robotics, mining as getting ready to mind asteroids in space. I mean, it's and it's a small group of people. John, It's not a whole bunch of people, and they have big brains, some of them have big hearts, but they they would admit they're a little bit monochromatic.
Speaker 1: I've got a chance to explain what that just what you just said, a lot of them.
Speaker 2: The same color. That color is not black, a little bit white. And so in the green too. They got a lot of money and a lot of green.
Speaker 4: And so I'm so blessed because Peter Diamandis has opened his heart and network and say listen, you know, I want you to see what's happening and give me your reflections, and we've developed a great friendship. You've been trying to warn people and alert people that a big change is coming, and what I want to tell you is the big change is now here. These guys have been saying the singularity is coming, and the singularity is this event where the exponential growth curve of technology goes vertical. And so so this is the first time I've heard I've known Peter for a long time, the first time I've heard him say the singularity is not coming. The singularity is here. We are now going straight up. And what that means is you may have noticed every week, every day there's some new breakthrough in AI capability. That would have been the news of the decade just three years ago, and now it's not even the news of a Twitter cycle because these agents now.
Speaker 2: Are so capable. And so what I told Peter, explain.
Speaker 1: What an agent is. Please, We're gonna have to We're gonna do some translation. This is a great example, everybody. It's a great example. Normally if some Wall Street got geek or I've got some some you know, Michael Milker is some genius on here, I gotta say, slow on, I need to translate what you're saying here, and I need to do from PhD to PhD. Brother Van Jones from the hood d a hypen a, you will do. Who's now I'm having to translate for him, get him to to translate and convert what he's saying in real time. He lives in this other yeah, other worlds, and and people don't know that they're brilliant, they're really smart people. They don't know what an AI agent is. They don't know what Peter did in mind. So we're gonna have to stop and walk folks through. Uh.
Speaker 4: The good thing is that John and I are building hope AI to make sure that you can understand this stuff better than any by in the world, and that's coming. We're building it aggressively. Both of our teams are working on it. So if some of this stuff sounds a little bit weird to see it as a as a trailer for a movie, this is This podcast is a trailer hope AI is the trilogy that's coming. So just just relax. I will just back it up a bit and thank you for I do get ahead of myself.
Speaker 3: John, Oh, you're brilliant. I love it, actually, brother.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, the way the way I would say it is that there are seven or eight trillion dollar industries that are taking off at the same time. Maybe that's the best the way the phrase phrase it. So robotics is taking off, biotech is taking off, Quantum is taking off.
Speaker 2: AI is taking no long what's quantum? Okay?
Speaker 4: So quantum Quantum computing is the next form of computation.
Speaker 2: To give you a cent, what's computation? Okay?
Speaker 4: So okay, So the way that your computer reasons and drives through data is based on old physics. There's a an updated form of physics is quantum physics, and quantum physics uses something called superposition, which is to take too long to explain. But the practical effect of it is, these computers are going to be ten thousand x faster.
Speaker 3: Than what you have.
Speaker 4: So what does that mean. That means cyber changes instantly. Your little password that you have protecting your computer. A normal computer, for trying to break that it might take a million years. This thing might be able to do it, break it in that afternoon.
Speaker 2: So it's just a.
Speaker 4: Completely different level of computational power that is almost impossible to comprehend.
Speaker 2: That's coming private.
Speaker 3: Let me, audience, me help you out here.
Speaker 1: So when when our parents were growing up, computers were big as a building, yes, one computer, one computer as big as an office building or a small warehouse. And then you got it into uh then Bill Gates time you got it into one room.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then Steve Jobs and others got it uh on your on your lap too, well, on your laptop. And now this is a computer. It's on your phone. Okay, that's it's all a smartphone. It's a computer. And what Van Jones is telling you now is that, uh, this is getting to a point where you have a computer on the tip of your on the tip of your finger, and that computer on the tip of your finger will do ten x or in some cases one hundred x.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: The speed and the power and the computation ability, the ability to process both con in time of anything you've ever seen, and it's.
Speaker 3: Going straight up.
Speaker 2: We're now on the vertical.
Speaker 1: We're on the vertical, and it's happening right now. So again, we don't have time to be arguing. We don't have time to be disagree with each other. We don't have time to be figured out whether you like somebody or not, sound like somebody like. The world is moving, whether you like it or not. And we need to get on this train and you need to figure out who's next to you and decide you there's something about them you like, because that's your all right, buckle up, and let's go back to you Van Good.
Speaker 4: So you have these trillion dollar industries that are jumping off, and on the one hand, it's you know that you don't have a lot of African Americans in particular participating. But at the same time, even though it's we're on the vertical, the growth is still to come. So there's opportunities to get in, there's opportunities to participate. There's opportunities in the in the necessity again, which I'll get you in a minute. But I think the most important thing that I can say is that there's something called these are all terms that can just look up, called accelerationism. All that is is the people who are in the computer science world and the AI world who want to go as fast as possible, those people who have always said let's go, go, go, go go. At this conference last week, the first time I've heard them say, hold on a second, this is going so fast that now we're getting scared. Never heard that from the accelerationist crowd. And they invited me to speak to an important subsection of that gathering of the patrons, the people who write the bigger checks, and just like, what do you see? And so I want to tell your audience. I've never i haven't spoked about this publicly at all. I've been waiting to tell your audience. What I told this incredibly select group of billionaires and more who have been driving this thing is they're sitting there looking at these at what these things can do.
Speaker 2: Oh, the agents.
Speaker 4: Sorry, So when you have chatt that's just it's called a chatbot. It's basically it's just uh, it's basically just predicting the next word. And so even though it seems super brilliant, it's really just a prediction machine mm hmm. And it has to It can't do very much except answer your questions like a glorified Google search. It's like a Google search through all of human knowledge. An agent is not that an agent. So now you're going from chat to BT just a Claude. An agent can do stuff, So please so explain to people. Claude is just briefly okay. So Claude is created by a company called Anthropic.
Speaker 3: Uh founder who left uh.
Speaker 4: Yes so so yes so, Dario's who's someone's a friend of mine?
Speaker 2: And and John's left.
Speaker 4: Open Ai created Anthropic wanting to create something with a few more guardrails to make it a little bit more ethical. But he made a business decision that has changed the direction of the entire AI world. Open Ai decided they were going to go for just general growth, get as many people, you know, engage as possible. Anthropic didn't have that much. Capitalist said, well, we're going to focus on enterprise. We're going to focus on business and create things that are useful for businesses and where they created. They're not knowing people who created, but what they I think perfected are these things called agents, which means you and your bot, your agent can do.
Speaker 2: A lot more work.
Speaker 4: You could tell your your agent, Hey, I've got this tough problem to solve, this business problem to solve. I got this tough coding problem to solve. I'm going to go to bed and but you solve it.
Speaker 3: This is a very important audience.
Speaker 1: It's very important, very important for you to go from a Google search or whatever it is you're searching from right to you know, in a bot on a website, to generative AI, generative generative AI artificial intelligence. Let's say my friend Sam Altman and and I think they're really best in class at this chat gput all right, and and I'm on chat, you know, fifty times times a day, so so is a van. And then also understand these parallel universes, these other AI platforms that have different emphasis and different focuses. There is he just gave you example of one cloud dot ai, which.
Speaker 3: I also use.
Speaker 1: Uh, and now he just told you something which we could do. This would be the whole podcast. By we're gonna we're gonna cover three or four different things, but this could just be the whole podcast. He told you about an AI agent, right, This is not your This is not your marketing agent. This is not your business. This is not your sports agent, is your travel agent agent. It's not your theoretic theatrical agent. Okay, get that out of your head. Okay, we could spend the whole dang podcast. We won't blow in your mind about what you could do if you had a specialized AI agent. We're gonna I'm gonna ask Van one more time to slow this down, explain to you what an AI agent is, because I think this is the one takeaway again he started off chat. You can't leave chat and leave it with a task to go sleep at night. Uh, you need to give Chat a task and task going through it to answer chat GPT. We'll answer that task and it might people please you a little bit, but you will answer the task and you have to challenge it.
Speaker 2: You're gonna need to challenge.
Speaker 1: The generative AI because it may give you the right answer in the wrong lane. You gotta be dumb in dumb out. An AI agent is different. Okay, Van, go a little deep on this and then go later or however you want to go.
Speaker 4: So the thing about having an agent is, or having multiple agents, is it can now start creating businesses that have one human being forty bots in that business can be able to a billion dollars. This is this is where you're at now. You're thinking, on the one hand, this is a terrible thing because people might lose their jobs. I just want you to focus in on what's happening. Because you could train a bot to take on certain key functions and to do them over and over and over again, very.
Speaker 2: Very fast and very very accurately.
Speaker 4: With human oversight, you become bionic, You become you, and all of the bots that you own and control and direct the same way that you direct people as a boss, you'll also be directing bots as a boss. And this is this has just become possible in the past few months. So but the fact that these agents are so you have people who have been coding their whole lives who come across a very very tough coding problem.
Speaker 2: They can just tell their will will you deal with this? Will you build this?
Speaker 4: And literally just go to sleep, and when they wake up, a week's worth of work has been done.
Speaker 2: Overnight.
Speaker 4: This is a capability that in the hands of the people who are listening you. As you're starting your business, you should be thinking how many humans do I want to employ and how many bots do I want to deploy? This is the new business model, Humans and agents. Humans to employ, agents to deploy. Once you begin to understand that, you begin to realize. Hold on a second, what has been my obstacle? If I'm an African American, I'm Latin, I'm just from an Aprilar background. I'm from Appalachia, I'm a Native American, I'm female. I've never been able to get access to enough capital to hire enough people to do all the things that need to get done. Capital is no longer your obstacle. Capital is being displaced by code. Code is replacing capital, which means your creativity is the limit to what you can do. You can literally begin to vibe code.
Speaker 3: This is capital.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now, your intellectual capital plus code is actually more valuable than financial capital and is the pathway to financial capital.
Speaker 1: Let's opportunate everybody. The last fifty years, labor made money, what money made money on labor, and then in the last twenty thirty years, money made more money on money than money could.
Speaker 3: Make on labor.
Speaker 1: And now what advance telling you is that knowledge is how you make money.
Speaker 3: That's coming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just want to change that one word from knowledge to intelligence. Not perfect, okay, because intelligence it doesn't matter. That word matters because you put it this way. Two hundred years ago, if you wanted a glass of water, you had to get up out of your bed, walk out of your hut or cabin, down to a river with a bucket, get the water, walk back. Getting a glass of water was incredibly labor intensive. You don't know that because you grew up in a world where you could just literally do this and have water, so you don't even appreciate water. Water is the clean fresh water is a miracle that for ten thousand years people fight wars over you just do this in this water. The same ten thousand years, intelligence was very, very difficult to attain. You would have to be picked to go to a temple to learn to describe the library at timbook two, they had all the books in the world. It burned down like intelligence was incredibly rare and incredibly valuable in our lifetime. You had to go to first grade, second grade, third grade, fourth grade, high school, college, gonna be like me, go get a be a fellowship at Prince and a fellowship a m my team just to know stuff. Now, intelligence is right here. You can literally with these tools get an awful lot of intelligence.
Speaker 2: On tap on tap.
Speaker 4: So here's the problem that we have, especially communities you know, who may have been overlooked or underestimated. It's not so much that you now have a bunch of stuff you have to learn, that's true.
Speaker 2: We have to unlearn the idea that it's going to take us this long.
Speaker 4: It's going to take us ten years to build a company, is going to have to hire a thousand people.
Speaker 2: I've got to go to get a bank on The.
Speaker 4: First thing I can do is realize you might be able to build a billion dollar company with two people and a bunch of bots.
Speaker 3: Let's say a million dollar company. Just to make.
Speaker 4: It sure, you can definitely, you can definitely build a million dollar company with two people and a few bots.
Speaker 2: One one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Like that's available as of by the way, not September not possible, not October not possible, December possible. That's what's going on is that these we went from chatbots being the main thing to agents being the main thing. If you understand that, what do you do get on Claud. I'm not paid to support Claude. I don't have no, no stake in Claud. I've met Daria a couple of times. But my team is starting to use these bots, these agents to super accelerate my research ability so that I'm basically I'm on path now to being able to give myself the equivalent of a PhD every three months.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, like on the.
Speaker 1: Of intelligence that you're gaining from this new water hose.
Speaker 2: Yes, and this is me.
Speaker 1: I'm certainly I'm certainly doubling my intelligence level annually because of AI is my co creator creator.
Speaker 2: So this is the something.
Speaker 3: Give you this.
Speaker 2: So that's the good news.
Speaker 4: Give you some bad news, and we'll give you some good news and then maybe I can come back. And I want to have this conversation. But I want to have it with you. Nothing I've said if you heard me say on CNN, you know, on my own substack, I am talking to you because you're my co founder and co under hope AI. So I would have this conversation with your nutt and how much of this if I told you even before.
Speaker 3: This none of them.
Speaker 1: We've not talked about any of this before, and I want to talk about either this that conversation or next why black people, in particular black and brown people are not only not going to be a liability or be potentially left behind in this AI revolution, but actually might have for the first time almost ever, qualities that were overrated, I'm sorry, overlooked, underrated, not appreciated, but actually in this AI world actually just might be supersized, super powerful and invaluable. But we'll get to that as part of this conversation.
Speaker 2: Good, we'll close with that.
Speaker 4: But I think that the short way to say it is qualities and characteristics that you just said that may have been correlated with success in the old system may not be, And qualities that were correlated with failure and the old system may not be. Especially hustle, creativity, innovation, the ability to exactly, the ability to to to to make unusual connections, like all the stuff that people at the margins have to learn how to do to survive.
Speaker 2: You combine that with these.
Speaker 4: Tools also, and all of a sudden you got then you're you're Then you're on on the vert on the vertical.
Speaker 2: The other thing that I think we should be clear about, is.
Speaker 3: That are a.
Speaker 4: Comfort level with dislocation, like you said, like like sometimes you say that you know, it's just was a crisis for other communities just another Tuesday for us. That that just like living in constant sort of disruption, you're preadapted for the world that you're about to live in because it's going to be new things coming all the time. And if you used to have to deal with a different problem every day, you're even psychologically and spiritually preadapted for some of this stuff.
Speaker 2: So, but so let me just tell you.
Speaker 4: So the good news is for you, you can definitely build a successful company with a lot fewer people, and you can go a lot faster. You can get to an exit a lot faster. You might be able to build a billion dollar company and sell it to somebody this year. That's that's that's that you should be thinking. Your expectations should be. Is not going to take me ten Years's gonna take me ten months.
Speaker 1: An audience, I want you to think million dollar companies. He's a good news. Look, it's only ten percent of Black America make one hundred thousand a year. Actually, that's is sub ten percent I want you to think you can make one hundred grand right now the year, and you don't.
Speaker 3: Have to do only fans. You don't have to don be an influencer.
Speaker 2: You don't have to do anything illegal.
Speaker 3: You don't have to.
Speaker 1: You don't have to sell marijuana. You don't have to you have to be a rapper, you know, you know, you have to be an entertainment business or disrespect intend at the entertainment business.
Speaker 3: You can.
Speaker 1: You can make one hundred grand a year plus. That's you, that's your jam. Yes, you can build a seven figure business in your neighborhood just just servicing your look. You don't have to be you don't have to create a patent. You don't have to create you know in where Gainesville? Where are you know you're in tallahassee forwarder where you can become the master of your space and build a build some between the six and seven figure enterprise right where you live that craates generational wealth for your family. But again Van's thinking in the stratosphere. He's thinking billions because he's not because he's gonna be who are gonna have trillion dollar businesses? And I respect all that. I want you to know that a million is just fine.
Speaker 2: We'll take it. Turn it down a million.
Speaker 3: I'll say that.
Speaker 4: Now let me just give give a little bit of the bad news, and then we'll good news. There is a challenge, which is that it's just the math of it. As the technology develops on an exponential curve, but most people are adopting and adapting on a linear curve, there is a gap. And that gap could be called social unrest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because where things an go worse before they get better, exactly before they come back up.
Speaker 4: And in that period that gap, which I call it the social unrest gap, you you run some serious social risks. Now, the people who are listening to this are going to be writing the curve up, so they're not they're they're they're gonna be exempted, but they're gonna be You're gonna have some cousins that are not they're not going to ride that curve and who are going to keep trying to do the same thing the same old way, and so there will be people who are left out, left behind.
Speaker 2: You know what I told Peter was you think about that as a technical problem.
Speaker 4: You know, mass unemployment is the way you talk about it, and what do you do about that. I said, you're missing the human part of it. It's not mass unemployment that becomes mass humiliation. M If you take twenty thirty forty million people who have had a job, who went to college, or who've done well, and all of a sudden, all these corporations say we don't need you, we don't need you, we don't need you. We're going to replace all the humans with these spots. What that does is, I've worked in some of the toughest prisons in the world. You take somebody who already doesn't have anything and humiliate them, they become the most dangerous person in that prison.
Speaker 3: The most dangerous person world is a person with no hope.
Speaker 4: No hope, And so you know these you know, and Peter was like, you know, I'm concerned about what the social unrest in this transitional period. What you know, some some people people listen to this are gonna jump on Claude tonight. They're gonna call their cousin or their you know, nephew, They're going to get some coaching on it. They're gonna look on YouTube videos and by the end of the week they're going to have made their first adult their first skill adult their first agent, and they're gonna be holy crap, I.
Speaker 2: Don't I don't have to pay my bills because my bot does that for me. I don't have to.
Speaker 4: And they're gonna be on a jet pack. But they're gonna have a cousin or a neighbor that's done. What about them? What I suggested to Peter is that we need entrepreneurs who are who are launching what I call social tech technology companies that are designed to help distribute some of this abundance that you guys are creating. You're creating on this abundance for people who have bots and robots, but if you don't have bots and robots, you're just being your abundance without participation. Abundance without inclusion feels like scarcity. And so you think you're scaling abundance, but people are gonna think you're scaling scarcity. You think you're creating more, but people don't feel like they're getting less. And so in that gap, we need moonshots of brilliant and people stepping in and saying I'm going to make sure that every grandmother in Detroit gets her bills paid by using this platform. I'm going to step in to make sure that every young person in Atlanta is able to access education. We're going to need a wave of new entrepreneurs launching new moonshots in the social tech space, which would be a new set of companies, and those can make money. So your traditional businesses can make more money by using these agents. You're employing people in deploying agents. That's your traditional businesses. But I also want to point out, because of this dislocation problem, there also can be new companies.
Speaker 2: This is where I hope AI becomes so important.
Speaker 4: Nobody in a position to organize the tech sector and our community to come together to solve that problem, except for John O'Brien, the only person.
Speaker 2: Who has said, well.
Speaker 4: Well I'm happy you Batman, I'm Robin. But because he already has Sam Altman on speed doplic, he's already moved through these different worlds and they trust him, he's in a position to have us come together. That between the AI Epics Council, that that that you're running, John, and hope AI, which you now launch, there's finally a space.
Speaker 1: We also have AI l P three, which is being run by Georgia State University and Dean uh Dean Phillips there. He was just in my office yesterday. That is taking the K through high school and soon K through college ecosystem and pipelining young people. UH to do what they were used to call a code, which you used to do is just coding, but getting people getting kids and not be afraid of the jobice the future, but to create them. They'll be afraid of companies in the future, but to create them. So this pipeline of prosperity UH through AI l P three connects to UH Hope AI and and is UH is literally part of the hope for the future. And uh AND has all the school districts, the line of public schools and HBCUs and Georgie University all connected together.
Speaker 3: So I want to add that needs.
Speaker 4: So again, how you relate to this at a human level. Everybody will relate different. Some people like change and they'll be excited. Some people are not comfortable with change, They're going to be more nervous. But what I want us to always remember is you know, whoever you are, you come from a people that overcame a lot. I don't care what color you are, I don't care what your faith is. You go but you want to go back to many generations to find people who have to overcome a lot, and uh, they figured it out, and we now live in a world that is the result of them figuring it out. Was World War Two, the Great Depression, slavery, segregation, women can't vote. People always face these challenges and then you know, we come up with a good outcome. I firmly believe that these tools are so extraordinary. If you can take these tools are basically they run on data HM and you combine.
Speaker 2: Them with wisdom.
Speaker 4: Data plus wisdom equals a great civilization. Right, That's that's what a great is available to us. AI Artificial intelligence is important, but so is ancient intelligence AI. SO Ancestral intelligence AI. SO is Aboriginal intelligence AI, African intelligence AI, Asian intelligent AI. There's lots of AIS that need to be at the table with this new AI. So we can start to create futures that we want. But the first step for anybody listening to this is get the tool in your hand. I'm not paid by Claude. This is one that everybody has found that is the most useful. If somebody is a better one tomorrow, I'll tell you about that one.
Speaker 3: But just as claud AI, give.
Speaker 4: Yourself an hour a day that you're going to be scrolling on Instagram or scrolling on x or whatever. Take that hour you would be on the phone anyway, on a computer anyway, and instead of scrolling on social media, play with claud or any other platform. They'll let you start building agents. Because you have stuff in your life right now, Like I said, was paying bills. Whatever it is that you don't like billing, so let about do it. And the minute you get one that does something for you in one second that would have taken you an hour, you suddenly realize you can get a lot of life back. M you can get a lot of life back. You can make money, lose money, make it back. When you lose time, you never get it back. And so what these things are doing is giving.
Speaker 1: You appulfimate audience. Evana just gave you another mic drop. So think of an AI agent as an efficiency time save, a time recapturer. Anything can be processed in this routine that can be done. Yeah, you know, think about it as a personal bot. That is, think about a virtual robot that is functioning and doing things for you.
Speaker 3: When you're not doing it.
Speaker 1: That's the best way I can describe it, and think about how many things in your life fit that category. Another thing he just said, which is not obvious, but I want to underscore it. Wealthy people value their time. Poor people value their money. And all money is, all cash is, is an exchange of value. That's it. A check. I can write a check on your T shirt with a routing number and an account number and sign it, and you can take that T shirt to the bank, and the bank is going to be scratching their head think of whether they have a legal responsibility to cash your T shirt because all a physical check is is the structural uh uh transfer, the structurally acceptable transfer of value of your money from one place to another.
Speaker 3: And I'm saying, in this example, you can do this on my T shirt.
Speaker 1: And they got to sit there and question whether they are legally obligated to do that, whether all the parameters are there. I can give you a I can give you this bottle and say give me that pencil, and we've exchanged value, because that's all currazy is exchange of value. So we obsess on money, cash bag dollar, all this present moment making a living stuff, but you're not building a life and once you finish making a living and you're and you got and you and you're beyond a phase if you got too much month at the end of your money. I know that's a big phase right when you're out of the desperation and phrase of I'm in crisis mode and you're going from survival to thriving mindset to winning and building mindset.
Speaker 2: Now you want time, And what a.
Speaker 1: Wealthy person, whether wealthy, whether you're wealthy in your pocket, so you're wealthy in your mind, you understand the value of time and what and what technology does with AI does.
Speaker 3: Better than anything else.
Speaker 2: Is it gives you your time back, it gives you more time.
Speaker 1: Yes, but understand this. Wealthy people value time more than money. Poor people value money more than time.
Speaker 4: Factor you well, listen, I mean I almost want to went into there because it's just so much to just say, but I do want to say.
Speaker 2: Something about time. And this is a little bit deep.
Speaker 4: But if you stay with us as long, maybe you like deep conversations with being John. But not only is what John's saying exactly correct. I've noticed this around what wealthy people. They'll spend an infinite amount of money to not waste their time. People say, well, why do they, you know, have household staff, cooking form and cleaning form. They just want to oppress poor people. No, they want to spend their time on reading, on high value relationships so they can continue the flywheel of their success. If you know, you know someone who could make a billion dollars, but instead of washing their own dishes and you know, doing their own laundry, in their mind, I just lost ten million dollars.
Speaker 2: That mean the time I've wasted on doing that. So it's a different way of looking at time.
Speaker 1: But by the way, that whole thing, this could be a separate podcast by itself, This could be a separate hour. What you just said, why don't I have a driver? I mean, I drive myself most of the time, but why don't I have a sprinter van drive? I'm trying to save time. I'm in the back working. I'm not sitting there drinking.
Speaker 2: Caboy, you're working because you always called me from the back of that damn thing.
Speaker 1: Why do you have a cook because I'm not. It's not a good bestment of my time. I need to be working. I mean, so so all now I want the list, I want the audience to stop flossing, stop focusing on blinging and singing and thing that all that stuff that all these tools, private jets, all that stuff's not meant to be in an Instagram photo.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Those people want to.
Speaker 2: Know what a private jet, don't want anybody to see it.
Speaker 1: They're just trying to get from point A to point B efficiently quickly, not through airports, not standing in lines, not going through tsa not you know, they want it because they're time.
Speaker 4: That's the greatest scene. The first the first time I flew on somebody's private jet, like you know, they said, well, you know, meet me there at three. I said, well, what times the plane leave me? He said three? And I was like what they said, you'll meet me there at three. We're leaving at three. So in my mind, I'm so dumb. I'm like, well, I must be misunderstanding. If we're leaving at three, I need to get there at two. So I show up at a private airport an hour before the flight, and they look at me like I'm a crazy person like you here, like literally, rich people drive up, they get out the car, they walk on the flight, it takes off, and so that whole hour and a half that I spend every time I go someplace, they don't have to spend, and so they can put that forward, this business, steal, that business deal, this book, this relationship that keeps their thing going. So it's just a different mentality which I've just observed. But I also just want to say something about people's experience of time in the age of the singularity. When you're when now the curve has gone vertical, you will notice that there is a different form of time that you haven't experienced before because it wasn't available before. So let me just that it's going to give you a couple of examples. In the old days an indigenous culture, time was a circle. You know, the sun goes up, the sun goes down, the moon goes through its phases. You know, the plant you harvest everything. An indigenous and angrarian life, times is so. In other words, tomorrow and yesterday are the same thing. We're just going to keep going through the same process with the sun and the moon and the seasons, et cetera. In that world, the most important key to survival is preservation of culture, preservation of seed. So that's why when every year with indigenous people is very slow it's very calm. Whenever you're on a farm, it's very slow. It's very calm because you're just preserving all these rituals and all this wisdom. Industrial society comes along and suddenly, for the first time ever, time is in a circle.
Speaker 2: It's a line.
Speaker 4: And your experience in industrial society is not that you're in a circle, that you're on a train track. The path is behind you, the present is with you, and the future is over there. And so now the future is different than the past for the first time ever, and you're going someplace. The key survive skill and that is something called planning, because you need to pick where is this train going.
Speaker 2: I've got to plan my life. You ask, if somebody sixth grade, what are you going to be when you grow up? You're going to college?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 4: Because in an industrial society you better have a good plan, because if you don't have a good plan, you're going to wind up over here when you want to be over there. And so we've built all these institutions around planning, schools, universities, consultancies, et cetera. Because you need to have a plan. You may notice it's hard to plan. Now, how are your plans in year two thousand. How they work out.
Speaker 2: It turns out that planning, you may notice, is a lot more difficult.
Speaker 4: Why because in the digital age, the future is not You aren't experiencing the future anymore as you're going to the future. You experience the future as the future is coming to you. There is an on rushing future. You're sitting on the track and the train is coming to you. Multiple possible futures are coming to you. That's not that that's a new experience of time for a human being. That's why you feel a little bit concerned. And it turns out the skill set to survive and thrive and the ad digital era is not preservation. It's not planning. The key skill is being prepared to pivot. Can you pivot? Can you say, Okay, this is coming by I don't want that, I'm going to poop, move to this. Being prepared to pivot is the new survival skill. And who is better prepared to pivot and to move from this to this to this to that than people who've been living in disruption the whole time. So this is a very long way of saying exactly what John said at the very beginning. You yes, your Planning is still important. Preservation is still important. I'm not saying it's not important. I'm just saying that now there's a new skill set, how do you prepare to pivot? That means you need to change what you're reading, watching, listening to. So it's spending an hour on social media to be spending an hour with your claud bop. But now what you're preparing yourself so that when the man comes and say you're going to be fired, you say, no, you can't fire me because it's me plus the seven bots that I created for myself that are actually more valuable than your whole company. So like, because you were preparing for the pivot, you were preparing to be able to deal with this thing. So listen, you know these are things I've never even said perfectly. My understanding of the human experience of time and the digital era, all these things are things that John and I are going to be institutionalizing through hob Ai. We want to give you an unfair advantage in this world. We want to give you an unfair advantage from a mindset point of view, from a skill set point of view, and from a tool set point of view, so that you and your family can do well. And then because it's us, if he goes, it's you, because it's John, We're not gonna leave nobody behind. We also are going to figure out this social tech question to make sure that their platforms helping.
Speaker 2: The people who get left behind.
Speaker 4: But you, yourself, I want you to be a winner helping the people who might be losing. I don't want you to be a loser complaining and begging the government to help you, because the government cannot help you with the speed so.
Speaker 3: And any signaling they're not interested in helping you anymore.
Speaker 2: Even if they wanted to, and I'm not sure they do.
Speaker 4: But anyway, so listen, Look, I know we're well past time, but I just want to say I spend a lot of time in very strange places, places that they don't let a lot of us go.
Speaker 2: John does the same thing.
Speaker 4: They would actually probably be nervous if they had thirty forty fifty that look like me and John. There would just change the whole vibe. And that's okay. We do stuff that they would change the vibe for, so we not be But but there are things that are coming that are new on this earth, and there are things that are coming that what's ancient in you will help you to actually prevail. Your wisdom, your commitment to your family, your love of learning.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't be all.
Speaker 4: We certain wouldn't be this part to the podcast if you didn't have a level of learning, you have things that are going to you know, win Piered with these tools, make your life, your life better and hopefully make the world better.
Speaker 2: And hope AI is coming.
Speaker 4: And if you like any of this stuff, this is this is just a trailer for the whole trilogy that we got cooked up.
Speaker 1: I have learned from you this forty five minutes to an hour band, I've learned from you. I learned every time I want an I have a note for the audience, and I hope parts of this go viral because I want parts of this in particularly to be emphasized. Parts of this need to go viral so they listen to the large part they won't. Here's the part because doctor King was really brilliant at taking me important and making it feel urgent. Oftentimes the urgent crowds out the important, and the emotional crowds out the rational. And I always say, when something's personal, whenever you're emotional about making an emotional decisions. It's going to be a wrong one. I rather respect me and learn to like me, and like me and never respect me. I'll be offended later. I'm nosy right now because I may miss something being offended. God gave me two ears in one mouth. So I listened twice as much as I talk a Caucasian friend. I'm saying this on purpose. I'm out at the track condo or I raised cars and my office out here, and a very very very prominent Caucasian friend here. I had a suggestion for him, and he wasn't really listening. He was just so busy talking. And I said, will you please shut the muck up? Please just shut up so I can tell you what I have to tell you. I'm just telling you this because I love you. But you got to shut up for a minute. And he got offended by what I said. I said, look, don't you don't have time to be offended. You've never seen a brother talk like this before.
Speaker 2: I don't need you.
Speaker 1: I don't need a thing you've got. I don't want a thing you've got. I'm just trying to help you be better. And I'm telling you. Everybody else over here are behind you. I'm looking over here in front of you and where you can go. But you got to get out of your own way. You got to get out of your own way. But you don't know that. You don't know that's killing you. Think you know. You don't have time to be offended. Be offended later. I'm telling you this because I love you. It's like a parent. Would you didn't like what your parents tell you. I didn't like what my mother was telling me for twenty years. I was upset with her and then realized that later on, dang, she was completely right.
Speaker 2: So glad she told.
Speaker 3: Me to hang out with those people and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Think, stop being offended, Stop not understanding what Van Jones is saying. Stop looking at the small thing and missing the big thing. Step over and not in it. Stop rearranging the deck chairs and the Titanic the ship is sinking.
Speaker 3: We picking drapes.
Speaker 1: We're using old software, We're in an old system where we got we have old habits, we have old wounds, we have old trauma and it's triggering us. And this guy is trying to give you a north star that that will change every star in your universe and you can't be black for a living anymore. If you're of this, you can't be black for a living anymore. It's over. You may not think it's over. It's over. It's slavery was about money. I mean, this is a four hundred year old, like delayed message, right. That wasn't about black That was about money. Someone brought you all the way over here because they didn't like you. You were valuable to them, but unfortunately you couldn't create an ass because you were one. So now here you are in a flat world with everybody starting is at Van Jones one time and leave it here. Jones once told me, you know, John, nine nine percent of black folks here's the one and another thing. People get offended by the get half the message. Nine percent Black folks don't know it. Think about AI. Somebody will just stop there and be a fan. What are you saying about? Like to slow down the end of the sentence, and John nine knight percent of white folks don't know it, think about AI either.
Speaker 2: Boom my whole brain. I said, fan, you mean we're on a level playing field.
Speaker 4: Yes, even Stephen, For ninety nine point nine of people this conversation we had is already past them. So you are sitting here literally the first time in your life is even Stephen.
Speaker 2: Is jump ball. Jump It's jump ball. If you if you.
Speaker 4: Put your hour day into Claude, but I guarantee you call me. I will give you cash money. I guarantee you if you put an hour a day into Claude for a month, your entire life will change. Your entire business will change, your family will change. And it's free. You can can spend more money.
Speaker 3: Do a half dozen of them.
Speaker 4: But but yeah, yeah, sure, I meanyeah, I mean yeah, but reality is initially it's free.
Speaker 3: You have.
Speaker 4: Once you start you becoming a super user, you gonna to pay a little bit more money, but you're gott to make so much more money and save so much more money.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: So look, I gotta go, and you gotta go with what I All I want to say is that hope AI is very important. When when John announced it, you know, if you look at me, I was almost just bouncing like a child behind him, because I understand the importance of taking this level of understanding and making it broadly available to people who might otherwise be overlooked. And I know the good that will come from it. And uh, look, your friendship is priceless to me. If we weren't doing anything together, you'd still be my favorite person. But we're gonna do something really, really great. And this is just this is just a trailer for the trilogy you'll get to see with Hope I.
Speaker 3: The best is you have to come.
Speaker 1: This has been Van Jones and to a lesser degree, John O'Brien as Batman.
Speaker 3: I'm Robin. This is Hope AI.
Speaker 1: We're gonna change the world as you see it in our lifetime, and you're gonna change the world of everybody around you. We are going to be the change you want to see in the world. This is the third reconstruction. Money and Wealth with John O'Brien is a production of the Black Effect Podcast networ for more podcasts from the Black Defect podcast Network, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.