Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Patrick Walker, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Tuesday, November seventeenth, two thousan I'm sorry. November seventh, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number sixty five. Welcome to the latest edition All the Break, Live from s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. Got Brian and Patrick and of course Amber here with us.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 6: We're gonna talk to some big pictures. I'm gonna take a big picture look at this team. I got a few questions here to talk about some different topics around the team.
Speaker 2: We'll take a little bit of time.
Speaker 6: To talk about the NFL and where we think the NFC is, particularly in the NFC, how we think the teams are stacking up. Each of these guys give me their top seven and then of course we will start today with a.
Speaker 2: Little bit of news.
Speaker 6: Cowboys working out a wide receiver, and normally when this name came up yesterday, when I first heard it, I was thinking, okay, well they're just kind of looking around.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But then Jerry and his time with one O, five.
Speaker 6: Dot three of the Fan this morning mentioned on a couple different occasions, well we got this wide receiver that we're bringing in the workout today, which made me just kind of like, is it that big of a deal Martevis Bryant, guy that hasn't played in the league since I think twenty eighteen, So it made me think let's at least have the conversation and see if there's anything we should be thinking about here. Brian, I'll start with you going back to your scouting of Martevis Bryant as a player, and before you.
Speaker 7: Even get into that, why do we need a wide receiver?
Speaker 4: Oh, we're going to We're gonna get to that.
Speaker 2: We're going to that. We're going to let's start first.
Speaker 4: Okay, I got a plan.
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm going to apologize.
Speaker 6: But I do want to start first with saying, okay, Martins Bryant, tell me about the player.
Speaker 7: Sorry, proceed, he's gonna just.
Speaker 6: One day, I don't know, one day He's not just we're good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just wanted to see the scenario first before getting into the player. Yeah.
Speaker 8: The thing with Brian is though, I I I think it's an interesting look at a player just because of the sis factor of the player.
Speaker 3: Uh, the ability. I mean, I think this guy might have some of that like Deebo Samuel type ability to him when you hand him the ball, or you throw him the ball, or you watch him run with the ball.
Speaker 8: And unfortunately for him, you know, he got into a situation with the league that they suspended him, and you know, he missed the whole entire year. But you look at this guy's body type, the plays that he has the ability to make. Yes, it was you know, a few years ago, but he's the type of guy that's got something to his game. Back in the day, he was a physical receiver, he was a physical runner. There were things about him when you watched him play where you're like going, gosh, that guy's kind of hard to deal with. And you know, maybe that time has gone by, but I always am interested in going back and looking at players that might have come off from suspensions.
Speaker 3: You know, the.
Speaker 8: We've seen guys in the past that have come and they haven't been able to recoup or redo what.
Speaker 3: They were once were.
Speaker 8: But this guy is an interesting one just because of his background and where he was that before his suspension was playing at a pretty high level. So I'm okay with kicking the tires on something like this.
Speaker 2: Interesting thing about him. He's been in the league.
Speaker 6: He came into the league in twenty fourteen, played fourteen and fifteen, suspended for a season, Yeah, in fifteen, I mean our sixteen, came back and played seventeen and eighteen and has not played since twenty eighteen. So it's interesting, like where is he as far as physically, I mean, that's six years ago that you lasted, five years ago you last played in the NFL. It's a long time to not have taken an NFL snap. But obviously the Cowboys are kicking the tires. And then I think the natural question that comes from that, which goes to what A was asking.
Speaker 2: Is why are the Cowboys looking for a wide receiver?
Speaker 6: Does this at all say something about what they currently have on the roster or is this a situation where you just kicked the tires because he was a guy at one point that was interesting to you.
Speaker 4: I think it's more so that than anything. I've been kind of mugging around in my head for the past couple of days on this likely signing at this point. And it's no harm, no file if you want to give him a shot because you had some interest in him a few years ago, And it's not like you're trying to add him to the active roster and you're going to sacrifice somebody's spot. It's a practice squad situation. If it works out for you, great, If it doesn't, what did it cost you? Right?
Speaker 7: So time is money, time is fou.
Speaker 4: He's going to be on the same field with the same coaches and the same players as the other people. So it's not that it's costing them any more time than if he weren't here. So to speak, my bigger question is what are you expecting him to be? So let's say it does work out, Like, what does that look like for the Dallas Cowboys? Because what a success look like?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: What does the success look like for them? So if he does come in and he's doing what they want him to do, like, what does that create for them? Because for me, even if you are of the subscription that Michael Gallup might not be the answer. Okay, I'm not quite there yet, especially seeing how he recovered in the Philadelphia game after that drop. I would, for one, like to see more snaps to Jalen Tobart. You've seen Tobart produce Tobert gets the touchdown. You see Jalen Brooks. He's the undrafted rookie, he's on the practice squad, he was a standout in training camp. You have that as well, so you already have some semblance of depth at the position. Cavante turping is an option at wide receiver as well. Behind you know Cookson and Ceede, Lamb and Gallop Jake Ferguson, who I believe should be the number two target for Dak Prescott until further notice. That's the only question I have is if Martavis Bryant works out for the Cowboys from a schematic standpoint, what does that look like for them at that position? And that's what I can't yet figure out. And that's where you and I are on the same page as far as kind of bumping our head against that wall, like what are we not seeing here behind that wall? But as far as risk reward if it doesn't work out, Okay, no harm no foul pennies on the dollar, you send him on his way. If it does, where does that go? So that that's kind of a great area for me right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it makes zero sense to me whatsoever because of the needs. I mean, if you've been looking at a player, what about a tackle? What a lot about an old lineman that can be I didn't depth in hear when injuries keep piling up. So it's just it makes sero sense to me. And on the other hand, But on the other hand, I would say I do trust a lot on the whole player acquisition, player evaluation Will McClain and his group and everything that they've done when acquiring talent they have history has shown that they've done enough to back up a lot of the reasonings as to them bring whoever they want to bring. So there is that benefit of the doubt, like they know what they're doing in that sense, But looking at everything that we've been following this season, it really makes no sense either.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not going to put too much stock a hype into it. You know, it's a name that was big in his prime or his best days with Pittsburgh. I get that, but we're far removed from that, he's not had a lot of time in the lead the past several years. He's over the you know, event horizon of being thirty. He's going to the practice squad, not the active roster. You don't really need a body there, so it's kind of a luxury item. So I mean, just just calling it what it is, I'm not it's not moving my needle one way or another. If it works out, I'm interested to see what they would do with that. If it doesn't, you know, life goes on.
Speaker 8: I think the quay the practice squad rules are now with the way you're able to add veteran players. It's to me if if you're really interested in a guy, that's not a problem at all. I mean you could work on the Yeah, it's not going to cost you really any money, veteran minimum money probably you maybe even practice squad money right now. If you have a deal, we just elevate him. But you know, yeah, you keep him on the practice squad. He goes out there, say he does sign here, I think there's another team interesting Tennessee. If he doesn't sign here, I think he's going to go on to Tennessee and work out for them. So yeah, So you know, there's there's if it was trying to put a guy on the fifty three and having to move on from So I think that's your story. I think right now it's well, let's see if the guy could practice. Does he look like this guy's six ' four, two hundred and ten pounds and he's a big guy. So there might be something that at thirty one years old, halfway through the season, maybe the guy's kept himself in incredible shape.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: Maybe somebody a lot of times too, these could be word of mouth thinks, you know, and maybe you're maybe Will is talking to another team or talking to another guy and like, hey, have you have you done any work on this Bryant? You know, I've got some tape on him. I've seen some workouts. Or maybe an agent called up Jerry, or called up called up Steven, called up Mike McCarthy, you know, and said, hey, have you guys taken a look at this this this Brian. He looks like he's a you know, he looks like he's in shape. You might want to bring him in just to see. And that's how it happens a lot of the times. It might not be for a reason other than that somebody that you trust as an evaluator has.
Speaker 3: Given you a tip to take a look at this guy.
Speaker 6: And that's the thing, Like, it doesn't necessary. I get your point, Amber, Like there are other positions that are probably more important, but I do think it also it's a matter of what's available at the time. Like there may not be offensive line probably are not offensive linemen that are just out there right now for you to really look at every team a strapped for offensive lineman.
Speaker 2: Right, but there may be.
Speaker 6: Again, this opportunity just presents itself, and this is a guy that's like, let's just take a look and see and if he actually happens, actually it turns out to be a guy that even you can use on your practice squad to present what you need to looks for other teams play.
Speaker 2: Like you mentioned him looking maybe like a debo, right, if.
Speaker 6: He has some of that ability, and if you got to play San Francisco in the playoffs, it's a great guy to be able through out there during practice to be able to show you that.
Speaker 2: Look, right, yeah, there are certain things you can get out of that.
Speaker 6: Even if he never touches the field in a game for the Cowboys, right, yeah, agree.
Speaker 8: You know it's funny. You know, there was a time in my life. There was a time in my life where I always believe that, you know, you carried extra linemen and all that. This past trading deadline proved my point wrong because Minnesota aided a starting offensive lineman to Jacksonville.
Speaker 3: And anytime you say.
Speaker 8: Go long at go along at defensive line, go long at offense, it's hard to find these guys teams. You know, we found the team that was willing to trade. It's very very rare. And Minnesota did it before they were starting this little run that they're on right now. They'd won like two games in a row, and then at the trading deadline they trade one of their young starting linemen to Jacksonville, another playoff team. So, man, you know that's any time you ever hear me say, well, you know you're never gonna find it. That's bs because people will if you give somebody the right amount of trade compensation. And I'm trying to make it to Ambar's point, if you want to go out there and to trade online, they wanted to go find an offensive lineman.
Speaker 3: They could have gone and found an offensive lineman.
Speaker 2: Give up something for it.
Speaker 3: You got to give up something for it.
Speaker 8: Where's Where's like a time in my life where I never believe that was ever gonna happen, and for a long time it didn't. But in this day and age, there's two things I've learned. Your starting quarterback can be moved. That when you can cut an Aaron Rodgers, you've proven to me that you can go and get a quarterback. Or someone's always willing to move on from their starting quarterback.
Speaker 3: It used to be not that way. They'd keep those.
Speaker 8: Guys and contracts would run out if there were no good But now people trade for quarterbacks and they move on from quarterbacks and elite type quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: All right, we're gonna take our first break.
Speaker 6: When we come back, We're gonna talk a little bit about the NFL, particularly the NFC. I'm gonna have these guys rank in order the top seven teams in the NFC and where Dallas falls in that rankle when we come back, Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah.
Speaker 10: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew.
Speaker 9: At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in their area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 12: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 2: Let's roll back the tapes.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile banking app, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica. Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com slash Can't Stop Banking Everica.
Speaker 12: It is only available in the English language. Must download the latest version of the mobile banking app. Only available on select mobile devices. Message in dat raisy apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 13: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 3: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 9: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 14: But what's the right gift that says thanks for beinging the soldier.
Speaker 5: To cry out?
Speaker 13: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 14: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you back.
Speaker 2: To the break.
Speaker 8: Experienced most electrifying event of the holiday season, The Cowboys Christmas Extravagans are powered by Reliant. Every Friday and Saturday night from November seventeenth through December sixteenth, Cowboys Christmas Extravagant ignites the Star and Frisco with an unforgettable holiday performance, okasing sixty five performers, including the world renowned Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders, Santa Claus, and appearances from your favorite Dallas Cowboys football heroes.
Speaker 3: Visit Thestar District dot com for more info.
Speaker 6: Man, it's Christmas time already. Already, I'm already feeling love. It's Christmas time.
Speaker 4: Literally is going to be feeling the love you.
Speaker 3: Had your mind there.
Speaker 6: I actually looked up as you were reading Brian right behind you on the TV. It had like a commercial at Christmas Lights yep, and the whole thing like we're we're there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: When they put that big tree up in the up until Stutus Plaza, you know it's Christmas time.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Here's what I want to do. I want to go through.
Speaker 6: We did this last week, and I think I'm gonna make this a weekly thing because this NFC is really interesting to me. But I want you guys to take the top seven teams right now and put them that's up.
Speaker 7: I'll started doing my full dive into who are they playing? But honestly, you've give him.
Speaker 6: All.
Speaker 3: Right, here we go.
Speaker 6: I got the top seven teams. I want you to put him in wader. We got Philadelphia, Detroit, San Francisco, New Orleans, Seattle, Dallas, and Minnesota. Put them in order, top to bottom.
Speaker 2: Top seven?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Did you did? I do? I have one too many? Did you put New Orleans in there? Yeah? Okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're leading their division.
Speaker 3: Selective listening right now as we speak.
Speaker 8: Philadelphia, San Francisco, Detroit, Dallas, Seattle, Minnesota, New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Wait, that was your order, That was my order. I'm sorry, I say it again. You need it fast. You already had this written now, you had yell doing this on the show later.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no way.
Speaker 8: I just took advantage of when everybody was talking to look at these teams. Uh, Philadelphia, Yeah, San Francisco got it, Detroit, Dallas, Seattle, Minnesota on a heater right now?
Speaker 3: And New Orleans.
Speaker 4: The interesting thing interesting?
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 6: The interesting thing to stand out there is Detroit third. That was interesting. Yeah, and then also, uh, you got New Orleans behind Minnesota?
Speaker 2: No, did you get I have Minnesota.
Speaker 3: I have Minnesota ahead of New Orleans.
Speaker 6: Right, that's also kind of interesting because Minnesota doesn't have their quarterback, but they got Josh Job.
Speaker 2: Now they're playing the Cowboy.
Speaker 3: They're playing great right now.
Speaker 8: I mean, but if you're talking, if you're talking about yeah, you'll probably see them.
Speaker 3: In the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Ye right, No, that dude, man, I don't know. I don't even know what to think of.
Speaker 8: But they're they're playing, they're playing really well. I mean, if you look at what they're doing defensively, they're finding ways. They're playing without their their leading wide receiver too in that game of these games, so it's crazy they figured some things out up there.
Speaker 2: And traded their guard.
Speaker 8: Like I mean, it's it's like they went from being like give up mode to like, well, maybe we can find a way to win the NFC North. Yeah, you know, but I think I think Detroit is really I don't think Detroit gets nearly enough credit for me. I I kind of feel like that people always talk about Philadelphia and San Francisco Detroit is a team that you don't I don't think you want to play and you're going to catch them at the very end, and you know they might be playing for positioning and seeding and all that whould be a difficult game to begin with. But that is a physical, mean, nasty team and they got a quarterback that doesn't turn the all over. You know they got they got run by the Ravens. I think the Ravens might be the best team in the NFL. I mean the way that they pay are against NFC teams. Yeah, they blasted Seattle, they blasted Detroit. You know that division they play in too. Cincinnati is getting better. So yeah, that doesn't talk about what we're dealing with right now. But that that that AFC North is uh has got some got some.
Speaker 3: Teeth to it.
Speaker 11: Ye.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go because just like last week, I had the struggle of Seattle versus is Detroit, and I'm just gonna use the Baltimore game as a wash from both of those teams. Lions got walked by the Baltimore Ravens and the Seattle Seahawks got walked by the Baltimore Ravens. So that keeps me at Seattle ahead of Lions. So let's go this way. Let's go Philadelphia. I want to say it, so I'm going to say it. Philadelphia, Seattle, Dallas, Detroit, San Francisco, and.
Speaker 3: San Francisco ran you you.
Speaker 4: Did, yeah, but they're also completely faced down in the mud right now that they need to write their ship.
Speaker 3: You can get all those guys back, and it's gonna be.
Speaker 4: Right back to where until it happens, it hasn't happened. He threw me off. So I got Philadelphia. Who is the Philadelphia, Seattle, Dallas, Detroit. I'm sorry, see y'all throw me off? God, Philadelphia, Seattle, San Francisco, Dallas, Okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes more sense. Okay, San Francisco third, Okay, I got.
Speaker 4: I got Dallas, then Detroit, then Detroit, then Minnesota, then New Orleans. All right, let's do it that way.
Speaker 2: All right, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Throwing me off?
Speaker 6: You really threw me put in San Francis. I got a fifth. I was like, wow, that was.
Speaker 4: I think that was one of those things where your brain is saying something, but your your processing so your mouth said something else. Why y'all pause?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that's that just threw me and Brian off a second, like.
Speaker 4: Because Brian had the selective listening and then I had the brain forart.
Speaker 8: Okay, cool, all right, I'll tell you what. I'll say this about San Francisco. They're gonna get those guys back. Yeah, it's gonna be No, we'll see if the quarterback could play. That's that's where this single come down to.
Speaker 2: We are putting to them.
Speaker 6: Now it's starting to get some doubt in his mind because he hadn't had any reality exactly where you start to make a quarterback question his own abilities.
Speaker 2: And now we'll see how that how he was?
Speaker 4: You were we the ones having the conversation walking up to the press box, just off the conversation about Seattle versus San Francisco, and I was saying, I felt like if San Francisco had to go to Seattle in the playoffs to win that game, I don't think they win that game.
Speaker 6: No, we did not have that conversation, and I would vehemently disagree with you. Okay, I think San Francisco runs that division. I honestly believe San Francisco.
Speaker 4: I think they they run it until further notice. But I think that Seattle was ready to change that. It feels like Seattle is ready to change that.
Speaker 6: I still, for some reason, I still think of Seattle as a good team that's not quite there to be one of the best in division.
Speaker 4: Which is why I would say this is what the key is at home in the playoffs. If they have to go to San Francisco, Seattle loses that game. But if you factor in the twelfth man in that environment and the Seattle Seahawks, I think that's a game that the forty nine is lose. I I would love to see it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, honestly, the first round of the playoffs, I fully expect San Francis is gonna win that division. So it's gonna be Dallas and Seattle kind of there and four, five and six slots.
Speaker 2: I think that's my opinion.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I do believe that because I think San Francisco is gonna get their guys back, and when they get their guys back, they're going to get on that roll again. And by the way, just look at what San Francisco does. They do this every year. There's a moment in this season where everybody's like, oh man, san Francisco's got problems. Then and usually it's because of injury, and sure enough they get it back on the right track. And when they get it going, then it's kind of like, oh yeah, we all should have known.
Speaker 4: This is still getting it in my gud and much like the love I have for the Lions are doing it. I'm right there with Brian. This one with the Lions. Something in my good just makes me feel like Seattle's got something for whoever if someone has to go to Seattle for a playoff game.
Speaker 2: I'm just not there yet on them, not there yet on them?
Speaker 4: All right, ab what you got?
Speaker 7: No? No, I did, I did, I did, have plenty of time, and I just keep going. I'm just I'll be honest. I'm unprofessional sometimes because it's hard to it's hard to take sometimes.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, like right now, because I wanted to make sure I heard your ya.
Speaker 7: Because it's hard, I wouldn't say unprofessional. Let me say unbiased. Opinion is actually the right word. I'm very professional. So I take that back, it's unbiased. But my thing is I'm having So I put Vikings first, Eagles second.
Speaker 2: Wait, huh what yeah, Vikings at the top team in the NFC.
Speaker 7: I put them ahead. Yeah, Okay, your opinion, unbiased opinion would be Eagles first, bias, just first. And they're still I still they're a great team. Okay, we've seen it, but every game lately has been so close that I just feel like at some point somebody else is going to figure it out and beat them and get them. So it's that's what.
Speaker 3: It's Buffalo or Kansas City.
Speaker 6: But you know that's that's actually an interesting that's an interesting thought because I've I've seen people talking about this in circles on social media, and to me, I actually look at that as a positive for Philadelphia because I'm like, if.
Speaker 2: You tell me you've gone eight and one and you.
Speaker 6: Still haven't played your best football, that says to me that you have a team that number one never gets rattled. You know how to figure it out in bad situations, even when you're not playing your best football. You figure out how can we still get the win. It probably means you know how to win in a lot of different ways because you've been presented with different situations where some week it has to be your offense has to take the lead, some weeks, your defense has to take the lead, some weeks, your special teams that whatever it is. They're figuring out how to win even in situations where they probably shouldn't win the game. And that's where I like, I'm looking at that and I'm like, that scares me more about Philadelphia than if they were just running through teams.
Speaker 7: And it's fair high. It's that whole glass glass half full, half empty, depending on their perspective. I'm choosing the other one half empty type of mentality. Were you gonna say something, let's just.
Speaker 8: Ask you something real quick though, Guys about that. Okay, Philadelphia has the ability, like when they're not playing great to put games away. Is that opposite of what the Cowboys are?
Speaker 6: Well, there's only really been there's only really been that year.
Speaker 8: Does that Does that make you nervous that your team doesn't have that ability right now?
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 6: You've had really two games where you've been challenged through the end of the game. One of them you won, one of them you lost, right. All the other games either you killed the other team or they killed you, right, So it's like, do you have you really seen that? Do the Cowboys have the ability to finish a game when they're right there?
Speaker 8: I think Philadelphia's plan was to make Dallas keep playing. You know what I'm saying, that they'll make a mistake that you know, Philadelphia down the stretch was nails where Dallas fell apart.
Speaker 4: Well, it almost worked against them because they were nails until they fell apart, which is what extended the potential game when driving the first Yeah, the both teams fell apart.
Speaker 8: But Philadelphia's falling apart like three times this season and they won all the games.
Speaker 3: Right, That's what I'm saying. When you fall apart, you're not going to win.
Speaker 8: Arizona fell apart in that game, really though, right, Yeah, I mean really never had a chance.
Speaker 4: Right, So in the games that you had a chance going down to the wire.
Speaker 6: Only won one, lost one, right, I mean, I don't get again, I don't think any of the games.
Speaker 3: Trust you trust this team down the stretch. You really to finish a game to go get a win.
Speaker 4: I trust the defense to do so. If it's if it comes down to it and the defense is on the field, yes, I trust that they can get that. With the offense.
Speaker 3: You don't try, okay, but you don't trust the offense.
Speaker 4: The offense still has to show it because the defense and that one in one record. The defense is who closed it out. That's who I have the trust in. The offense didn't close it out. The offense made a mistake false start allowing the sack. So right now, until the offense shows it, no, I don't in the offense and the defense, yes, I do. So it just depends on who's on the field right now. I don't.
Speaker 8: It bothers me that they didn't finish that game. I mean, it completely bothers me. And and I don't know if that's man. Maybe it's something we've seen. They get down in the red zone, they get down tight red zone. They've had problems all year. You know, are they going to fix those problems keep cost them games?
Speaker 7: And Dyke played a really good game. And but it's one of those things that you tend to always criticize, you know, you put it all on the quarterback. So and we started I mentioned it you. I'm like, okay, this is a time where Dak needs to show up. And then let me in my head and this is not a fair comparison, but I'm like, man, imagine you having Rogers and he's in that situation right now. You just take the automatic like you just automatically assume you're gonna walk out of that game with a win. We have plenty of time to get in there. And what's crazy, I thought the Cowboys will only have the last chance to do it, and then they came back again for a second chance to actually get into the end zone and it still didn't happen.
Speaker 4: So I did to start. But you know why though, and this goes right back to my point, the way the defense clamped down in the fourth quarter and forced more than one punt from the Eagles offense. So if again, if it came down to it where it was Jalen Hurts and the Eagles offense trying to mount a game winning drive against the Cowboys defense in Philadelphia at one hundred, have confidence, but flip it and it's like, Okay, well, you know, it's an offense that had struggles for the first part of the season and now it's an offense that had some offensive issues. So no, until they show me that they can close out the game, I can't rightfully say I believe they can close out the game. But the defense has shown it. So that's for me where I'm hanging my head.
Speaker 6: I still go back to like Ambry, I think you hit the nail on head. For me, there are certain teams that when you're playing them, you're actually thinking, if your team gets a score and it's at the end of the game, you're like, how much time's left? Like I don't want to give that offense time to go down to score, because I know they will go down to score. Like if you're playing the Chiefs and you give them a minute and they only need a touchdown to win, or they need a field goal to win, You're like, man, we left too much time on the clockt right, But that's what I'm saying, Like, there are certain teams that are like that, and I don't want to confuse it, Like that's never been the conversation that we've had, Dak, Like that's the difference between a really good quarterback and the greats in the game right now, right there are only a few of those that you feel like, if they get the ball, it's happening, there's no question about it. But you and I, as we were sitting there watching the end of that game, we were both saying, is this Dak's moment to kind of ascend to that and start showing us that and we we that wasn't the outcome. In quite frankly, as is the case a lot of time, I don't think it was necessarily his fault.
Speaker 4: I think it could be.
Speaker 6: I think once again, and that's why I say offenses, because it's not just the quarterback.
Speaker 2: In this instance.
Speaker 6: It goes back to like, this was not just about Dak not making the plays. It was about your offensive line failing you in a moment when you needed them to be able to give him time twice to make the plays that he needed to make in order for you to win.
Speaker 2: That was a problem.
Speaker 7: We go back to several a couple of years ago, and you would go into games where the offense would have a very slow start, Dak having slow starts, and then in the second half of games he would come back. The offense would come back, get their act together and start scoring points. But it was always a little too late, like they would get up there, start scoring scoring, scoring, Oh well, damn, we ran out of time. They didn't make it. They should have won that game, And I'm that's where that's that's what I'm tired of. They should have They should have over here walking I'm not gonna name names, but walking around. People that come up to me, we should or want on stop. I don't want to hear it. I'm pissed off right now. I don't want to hear anymore. I'm tired of it. But anyways, I had the Vikings versus Eagles, forty nine Ers, Seattle, New Orleans, Detroit, Dallas. I don't know where I want to put Dallas because once again my bias opinion. Right now, I'm mad at them. I'm up said, I'm hurt. I don't know what to think of them. I don't I don't know where to place them because last week I spent all week truly believing that they were gonna win against the Eagles, and I set up with my chest all over the place. I was talking around all like other people that did not say Cowboys with their chest.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't.
Speaker 6: I was not confident about that game, and I said made no Honestly, I said before before we went into the game, I said, they got to show me after what happened in San Francisco, they got to show me.
Speaker 2: And they still haven't shown me.
Speaker 6: And by the way, if I'm doing any rankings for the NFC, the Cowboys cannot come in right now, before Philadelphia and San Francisco, because what I've seen in the games is they have not been able to beat those teams. And I'll say this, Dallas is a really good team, and I think up against any team in the NFC, Dallas will win the game.
Speaker 2: Any team in NFC other than.
Speaker 6: Those two teams right now, they got to show me because that's just not been what they've put.
Speaker 4: On on the field yet.
Speaker 8: And you're gonna get to see Detroit, and you're going to get to see in Seattle, yep, yeah, yeah, And then you get a couple of shots some AFC teams that are right in that same boat of good teams, and we will find out a lot about this team.
Speaker 6: But right now, I think those are the two teams I look at, and really there's probably only four or five in the NFL that I think I would put above the Cowboys right now. But that's also the problem. They're right up there with those teams. They have not shown they can beat those teams yet. Like that's the Kansas City's, the Baltimore's, the the Eagles, the forty nine ers, Like they haven't showed they can beat those teams yet. That's what I got to see in order to feel confident that they can make a deep running.
Speaker 4: The thing it's fun though, is that the from three to i'd say five, those three to five slots margin of aeras so slit. It is.
Speaker 3: The margin of ara of Cowboys offense is very slip.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, you got to get any your rankings, and when you're listening to this, if you're ranking one through seven, once you get three to five, whatever you're organization, however you organize it, it's probably gonna make sense. You could probably justify it, make it makes sense. Yeah, all right, here we're gonna do. We're gonna take our final break. When to come back.
Speaker 6: We got some big picture questions for you guys. These may take a lot more time than we have. We'll maybe float some of those into some future shows. This week, we're right back Dallas, Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheat of Savannah.
Speaker 10: Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has a T and T five G Fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast, reliable, secure. It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 5: Don't put off getting your oil change.
Speaker 12: Dallas.
Speaker 5: Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: It's the official Min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus, because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's Get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 14: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial moweres, compact construction equipment, Gator utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 8: The Salvation Army's twenty seventh annual Red Kettle Kickoff returns to AT and T Stadium this Thanksgiving. Get excited to watch the one and only Dolly Parton rocked the stage during the halftime when the Dallas Cowboys go head to head with the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 3: Tune in at three point thirty on.
Speaker 6: CBS Welcome Back, final segment of The Break Life from that s WBC Morris Studios. At the start, this segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 2: All Right, here we go.
Speaker 6: Here's some big, quick, big picture questions I want you guys to answer. Let's start with this one. Whose play is more concerning, Terrence Steele or Michael Gallup.
Speaker 4: M I'd say Michael Gallup. Reason I say Michael Gallup is for the hearkening back to what we were talking about yesterday, Terrence Steele, when you were having the offensive line injuries and those issues across that old line, it was Terrence Steele who was the bright spot over the majority of the first part of the season going into the by That gives me a lot of confidence. That combined with his play from last year before he suffers the twin acl Yeah, he as of late, he's had two bad days at the offices. Last Sunday was the worst at the office, But for the most part, I think he's showing that he can get it together and keep it together. Michael Gallup, on the other hand, while physically he's back to where he needs to get. The mental side of it is still not consistent enough. For Michael Gallup. He had a couple of good games Arizona, New England, the game's prior struggled the games after he struggled. He had a drop the key drop early against the Eagles, but then he bounced back. Kudos to him for doing so. But when you combine that the up and downs of twenty twenty three with the struggles to find his way in twenty twenty two, there's not a lot of recent see positives for Michael Gallup. Talent still there. Absolutely, skill set, physicality, physically, he's imposing, all of that's still there. But I think for him it's mentally more than anything else. And that's what's concerning. For Terrence Steel. I think he bounces back, maybe as early as this week.
Speaker 8: Kind of feel like it's it is Gallup. But the thing we've learned about Gallop, it's two good games for poor games, and that's been his history and so maybe that's what he is. You know, we felt like that maybe he could take that next jump. We talked about injury, him coming back, the off the field stuff he deals with. You know, being in the right place, right mind, all that works extremely hard. But he is who he is, and that's you know, like I say, you're gonna have flashing flashes of brilliance those catches he makes that are contorted along the sidelines. I don't know how he got his feet down, but he just did. And then you're going to have the play where they you know, have the unfortunate drop. But that's the inconsistency of his game. Maybe somebody else he gets more consistent, but for this team.
Speaker 3: He hasn't been.
Speaker 8: What's surprising to me about Steel is what he's dealing with, you know, coming back from the injury, and he's going to.
Speaker 3: Work extremely hard. He's going to be prepared.
Speaker 8: His run blocking hasn't been as good as it normally is. I understand the pass blocking struggles that he has because that's part of his game, that really, really is part of his game, and he does a great job of masking it at times. But you know, when it when it rains, it pours on him too. But he's not been as consistent as a run blocker, and that to me is the most surprising thing about his game. It's not what happens to him as a pass blocker, it's what happens to him as a run blocker, and it's but it's gallop. But both of them have had their issues, as we all know.
Speaker 7: I would definitely go with tern Steel because that's the but I have trust that he can get it together because it hasn't been a consistent like what we saw against the Eagles, hasn't been the storyline for his season coming after that injury, So I don't think it's something that we're going to be consistently talking about week after week as the main issue of the old line in general. I think he'll get better and it was just a one. You had have one bad day that went really bad for you, and it happens. It has happened to a lot of other people. But I would say the old line in general, more so than just Staring Steel, just finding some type of consistency for the old line. We haven't seen an established running game yet that has not happened all year, and I think it steams from or stamps from the old line and what they're doing and not doing for Tony Poller and the rest of the backs. So I think that's that would be the main concern Michael Gallup again. I don't know if I'm ready to give up on him as far as I given him chances. But it's one of those things again my feelings, I'm like, I'm mad at you. Go sit down for a little bit. He'll take a break. Go we go to the Yeah, yeah, go for it, just for a little bit, Just for a little bit. I still love you, you know, I still love you. I'll give you a hug afterwards, but take a moment to reflect and we'll we'll come back to you. Uh. And because some of the things we've seen from Tober, he's had those moments, you know. But it's it's one of those when it's not working. I'm a big disbeliever or I don't know the right word of forcing things. I don't think I don't think it makes it work, but you just keep trying to force it on people and stuff. He just he's not catching a break right now. And maybe you give him, you force him to have a break for a little bit and then bring him back up. But I would definitely go with steal right now, just for the moment.
Speaker 8: This team needs to focus on on on Lamb ferguson it Cooks. That needs to be their offense right now. Yep, they're not going to be able to run the balls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they they don't. It's going to be hard.
Speaker 8: This team is now you now have it's not a small sample size anymore.
Speaker 3: We're halfway through.
Speaker 8: They've got to ride Dak and they've got to ride Lamb, and they've got to ride Ferguson and the Cooks has got to find a way when he gets opportunities to make plays.
Speaker 3: That's where they need to go.
Speaker 8: Because the other ones, if they get the other ones to kind of step up, great, But the ones they need to focus on are the ones that I mentioned.
Speaker 6: So going on that, what do you guys think is the biggest reason that Brandon Cooks hasn't been more involved in the offense. Do you put it more on him and his abilities of getting open? Do you put it more on the offensive line not getting time or the play calling not getting him Downfiel getting him into situations where he's open.
Speaker 2: Where do you place most of them?
Speaker 8: They scheme stuff for him and then you know they're going to run a play where he's it's going to take some time for him to get from the right side of the formation to the left side of the formation. They're running place to try and get him open. They ran a pick for him the other day on the goal line to try and get him open.
Speaker 3: Uh. They're doing things to try and get him open. Uh. But then if you have a blitzing.
Speaker 8: Linebacker, Uh, Tyler Biattish unable to handle Jalalen Carter.
Speaker 3: And you know, now Dak can't go that way. Uh. It's really or he or all of.
Speaker 8: A sudden, they motioned Tony Pollard out in the flat, and now he's trying to find space on a scrambled drill.
Speaker 3: But what does he do.
Speaker 8: He runs into Cook who's trying to find space too, and both of them get eliminated from the play. I think the coaches are trying to find ways to get him the ball. I think there are certain certain situations and things that happened during the play that don't get him the ball, and they.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily other people.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 8: You don't quit on him because he is your best route runner in my opinion. He's the one guy that can separate. He's the one guy that can get in and out of the breaks. He's the one that can taken They can make the big catch when you need him to, So keep keep trying to get him the ball. It'll actually come to him. But they're dealing with a lot of he's dealing with a lot of bad luck when they're trying to get him the ball.
Speaker 4: Right now, I couldn't have said it better. Not much to add to that other than just to double down on it's it's certainly not his lack of separation ability to get open. He's getting open. The rest is everything that Brian said.
Speaker 7: I mean, you've made it a point of what game was that when they kept targeting and speaking of Michael, what game was it New England?
Speaker 4: Was his last game when they targeted Chargers?
Speaker 3: Was it Charger? Charger?
Speaker 7: So where I was trying to go with that is you've, as a play caller, you kind of made it a point to target him and try to get the ball to him. And the reason, the only thing that makes sense to me as to why they kept going to him was because they had some sort of plan that they were trying to make it happen that day. So my thing is like, if they did that with him, how come you can't do that with the guy like Cooks and the whole time in wise and all. That makes some sense, But then why is that an option, like, if it's not going to give you enough time to like go throw it at him, why is that even an option to begin with?
Speaker 8: You know what, I think that to me, I don't force it. I let it happen because my number two, my number one and number two options are good enough to win games. Throwing the lamb and throwing to Ferguson is good enough for me to win games.
Speaker 3: You know, if Cooks.
Speaker 8: Gets four targets, three receptions and it's fifty eight yards and three first.
Speaker 3: Downs on the catches, I'm fine with that.
Speaker 2: But CD got off, Yeah City, But City.
Speaker 8: Had CD had twelve catches for one hundred and forty three yards, and then Ferguson had seven catches for one hundred yards.
Speaker 3: I'm going to live with that all day.
Speaker 6: And the other thing to consider on that point, Brian, I think is that when you get deeper into the seas and when you're gonna have that run of Seattle, Yeah, Dolphins, Buffalo, you got all these good teams, you're gonna need a wrinkle that hasn't necessarily shown up in a big way to win one of those games, maybe two of those games. And if you haven't used Cooks in that way, you can create some opportunities where teams come in because of what their scouting says. You're trying to get the ball to CD, you're scheming him open. That could create some opportunities for you to scheme open Cooks and go into a game saying we're going to scheme him open because they're not really looking for that.
Speaker 2: We haven't shown that as much.
Speaker 8: If you ask me for a fourth guy to add to my I'm going to mix. I'm throwing Turpin in there. Turpin shown to me that he the game is not too big for him. I always worried about him not you know, I didn't like the fact he didn't fair catch the ball and he you know, time went off the clock at the end.
Speaker 3: I think that was kind of a mental mistake.
Speaker 8: But overall, with his ability to run, run after catch, you know, get open, get open, you know, to make a secure catch, He's now I'm putting him in there. Okay, if if any wonder you others other than the three, I need you, but I'm it's gonna be limited, but I'm gonna get you when when I do throw you the ball, please make a catch for me. You know, if I get you two balls and you make two catches for two first downs and a and a red zone touchdown like like Turpin did.
Speaker 4: And the toughness, my goodness, how tough is that guy?
Speaker 8: I am now pairing down my offense to just make sure and and it's gonna help Dak. You know, it's there's no more questions about Okay, do we have to throw it the goalp No, we don't, because we're gonna throw it to Turpin, and we're gonna throw it the lamb, and we're gonna throw it to Ferguson because I know those guys are gonna make plays. I don't have time to waste it down over here on somebody that might not make a play.
Speaker 2: Ye, all right, real quick, let's get to lap cooat what we got over there?
Speaker 4: Bring me in.
Speaker 2: Beamer, Yes, science?
Speaker 4: All right? So started and actually finished my deep dive into some receiving comparisons around the NFL for the Science Lab. This week's edition drops on Thursday. Check that out on the dot. Calm, ladies and gentleman. Magic number today is forty eight. We're gonna round down to forty eight. I wanted to see how Dak Prescott and Ceedee Lamb as a tandem measure up against some of the best tandems in the league. And obviously I'm talking about you know, Pukah and Cooper and Mike, not Michael, but Matthew, Tua, Tyrek, things like that. Forty eight is the expected points above average. For those that aren't familiar with EPA, that's basically saying, prior to a play, this is what the points expected. After the play, this is what the new points expected. How valuable was that play in that situation? Ceedee Lamb and Dak Prescott are ranked number three in the entire NFL as a tandeman expected points above average? Who's top two? Jalen Hurts and aj Brown number one to in Tirek number two. That's some great company to be in. That caused me to go a little bit deeper and I looked at twelve categories across the league. The Cowboys, as far as Dak and Ceedee Lamb lead the league as a QB wide receiver tandem in seven of the twelve categories, stretching from passer rating, completion percentage, success rate, yards per attempt. So, if you're wondering if cedd Lamb had ascended as wide receiver one, if you're wondering if the chemistry between he and Dak Prescott have reached that upper echelon of the NFL, the answer definitively is yes, it is, absolutely so keep going, Dak Prescott ceedee. Lamb goes to everything Brian and Derek and Ambar talking about feed the Lamb, feed the Lamb, and feed them good. All right?
Speaker 7: Can I say something quick?
Speaker 2: Just well, what are you gonna say?
Speaker 7: Nice defense? I'm not talking to you. No, I just gotta I gotta text with someone that's listening. And apparently, in my dumb joke didn't translate into when I said Vikings first. There's a reason why I said Vikings first ahead of the Eagles. I was just being dumb about it, but I don't know if you translated to the I'm not that stupid, but I just wanted to clarify because apparently some people didn't get my The.
Speaker 3: Longer you do this, the more you don't pay attention to right exactly.
Speaker 2: You're like, if you don't get it, you don't get it. You know, you know you know right, So if your head all right, we appreciate you. Guys.
Speaker 4: We'll be back.
Speaker 3: You got platforms, they don't.
Speaker 6: Good point, all right, we'll be back tomorrow. We're gonna jump into the Cowboys versus the.
Speaker 2: Giants, so we're gonna talk about that this week. Right, we are all right, let's talk about Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Overlooking.
Speaker 6: We will start with we will start with the Giants offense tomorrow versus the Cowboys until then for Patrick Walker.
Speaker 2: Brian brought us Ambergarci. I'm Derek.
Speaker 6: This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.