Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney thorn Smith and.
Speaker 2: Daphne's Aniga an iHeartRadio podcast. Hey everyone, welcome to the Melrose Minute, a new weekly audio snack for listeners of the Still the Place podcast. We recapped an episode of Melrose Place, the Christmas episode, and a bunch of different storylines happened there. One of them was Joe and Jake were heating up and picking out the Christmas tree and they were getting closer and hotter. And then we also had Billy gives a twenty four carrot necklace to Allison.
Speaker 3: We'll share our thoughts on that, So.
Speaker 2: Let's jump into Billy gives Alison the twenty four carrot necklace for Christmas and Joe thinks that's a little much. What do you guys think, what does our audience think? And what do you guys think? Their roommates, But he's obviously starting to feel something for Alison.
Speaker 3: This whole setup is that they've lived.
Speaker 2: Together, their roommates, they've been just friends, but things are starting to happen. You know, he's taken care of her through the breakup of William Moses and then taken care of her.
Speaker 3: At the hospital and her uterus situation.
Speaker 4: But you said it, we didn't.
Speaker 5: You guys loved it on the recap that boy, we're just trying to bug you deaf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're just talking about like that point where you're starting to feel more. I mean, if it's clearly just friends, it's a bit much in my opinion. Twenty four carrot a beautiful piece of jewelry.
Speaker 3: Like that a necklace for a roommate. But if you're in his position and you're feeling more and they're getting a little more into I think it's clear.
Speaker 5: It's definitely like a gift for somebody special. It's not just a friend gift or a roommate gift. And I think we've all you know, gift giving is, like you do you have to really think.
Speaker 4: Well, wait a minute, what does this gift say? Like this the right tone? Is this the right thing?
Speaker 5: Does this just like hit the right mark? And I think definitely a twenty four carrot necklace for a roommate is a gift that says, oh, I think you're special, and I.
Speaker 4: Really this is me saying I love you, you know, Like I definitely think it speaks volumes.
Speaker 1: Georgie is very intimate right, Yeah, very very romantic, very intimate. Twenty four carrots, which I've never owned anything, twenty four carts, fourteen, I have ten carrot things fourteen pretty fancy, twenty four carrots, pretty intense. Billy drives a cab and he doesn't have money where you get it, Yeah, I mean in this day and age, gold is so expensive. Now can you imagine that I'm not going to do my little magic math where I figured it out. Let's just say it would cost a lot of money. And I don't think that. Allison in the show sort of registers this is sorry. She goes, thanks great and puts it on a Carrot's on with their day, right. It deserved a conversation that they did have.
Speaker 5: It was a big deal, and like Joe's you know, Joe's take on it was not crazy, Like she's like, uh, yeah, this says something more like you got to figure your stuff out, you know, either I mean it's to what you're feeling.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, I feel like because Joe has come from you know, he's a little further down the lawn, she's a little further down the line and like a serious relationship. Maybe she's gotten jewelry and there's sort of like there's politics and negotiations in this kind of thing in her world that she came from, and so for him.
Speaker 3: It's so naive. It's like the first time, you know, this was nice.
Speaker 2: It's a very sort of innocent, naive place to give it a jewelry from where she I'm sure with the world that she was in, it means very specific things and expectations are probably go along with it.
Speaker 3: That's just my view on her kind.
Speaker 1: Of Yeah, And I also think that Joe is seeing something that Alison and Billy aren't quite seeing yet, like it. So this is where the audience is like, can't start for you know, everyone else can see it. I think he's really not aware because there's a line which I loved when he said it's a token of friendship, and then Joe says, and that's exactly what you'll get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can see it, like, don't you know.
Speaker 1: But it's one of those situations where everybody can see it except for Billy and Allison at this point.
Speaker 3: But Court that's kind of stumped me.
Speaker 2: This was it she was saying like twenty four carrot, because she says, is it eighteen or twenty four? Right, And so he says, twenty four, that's the most expensive version.
Speaker 3: Of a necklace you can get.
Speaker 2: So then why does she say, you gave her the twenty four carrot necklace, that's exactly what you'll get just friendship.
Speaker 3: I didn't get that.
Speaker 1: He says it's a token of friendship, and you say, and that's what you'll get.
Speaker 5: And I think she was also trying to point out that if you give this necklace, it indicates something greater than just friendship. But if I if you say to me, oh, it's just friendship, then then that's I'm going to hold you to that, Like you don't get to not tell the truth about what it is you want out of this relationship.
Speaker 4: And like it was, I mean that's sort of how I see.
Speaker 5: It's like because the gift, she was sort of calling it out, like this gift said a lot more than friendship. Yeah, so when he says, hey, it's a token of friendship, She's like, all right, well then that's you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like she was almost like she was just calling his bluff on it, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that it's not about the necklace, it's about his behavior and how he's gonna.
Speaker 5: You need to say what you're actually feeling, because this necklace says a lot more than what you say you're feeling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I mean, but it's so interesting because to.
Speaker 2: Me it's pretty obvious, Like he seemed really clueless. It's probably pretty obvious, isn't it. Maybe just because we're women, But I.
Speaker 5: Think it's just that that like that they're pining for something more, but none of them are able to say it, you know. But like I think in real life we all know that like a twenty four gold necklace would say, wow, this is you know, a deeper relationship wouldn't be something you'd do just for a remain or whatever.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, any gold night keeps saying twenty four carrot as if now eighteen eighteen carrot is friendship, but twenty just jewelry is intimate, it's romantic, and Billy's acting like it's not.
Speaker 4: But then get her a book.
Speaker 2: People will say, you know, if you get a ring, that means a lot more. It doesn't have to get an engagement ring, but a ring more than like, ugh, you know, you often see it where the woman opens a box and she's expecting a ring, piece of jewelry and it's earrings, which right, it isn't doesn't mean as much as the ring.
Speaker 3: You know, there's all these levels of meaning. And have you ever been at.
Speaker 1: That point in a relationship where I have been several times where you're kind of getting it's deeper and deeper and they give you jewelry but they say it's not the ring. Like you have to say, like I'll say, you've been together to I'm warning you before you've been together two years, if you give someone a jewelry box, you have to be clear, this is not an engage.
Speaker 4: I just I just wanted to get you a nice pair of arrings. Now go ahead and open it. Yeah, like a little warning. That's funny.
Speaker 2: I think you know what I did, like ultimately at that episode and between that couple, because you know, as I said before, when we were doing the recap, Joe and Jake are like, you know, they just like hook up, and they they well, we can talk about that next that they are making out on the sofa and then you know, he starts to unbutton something and she's like, now this is a slow down, and he goes, whatever you want and she says, just this just the making out. I was just going to bring up how this uh storyline is different at a different pace with two different people than the Billian Allison, which is it's been there's such.
Speaker 3: A history of the friendship kind of chemistry and they have it's as cool and great a chemistry and to me that means sort of a long term thing.
Speaker 2: It's just different than Jake and Joe. But okay, they're making out on a couch.
Speaker 5: And and so there's there's like the larger question is this, you know, like for for us in our you know, in our opinion, is this, is this a good idea for her to like move into this new apartment and immediately start a thing with the with the you know, with the neighbor whatever, Like, is that is that really a great idea? Like Billy and Allison's choice is you know, probably a little bit maybe better like just we're trying to be friends, but ooh, now we're having trouble maintaining a friendship because we're actually finding that we have more interest in each other than you know, just roommates whatever. But Joe comes into this new apartment building and immediately, you know, is willing to start a thing.
Speaker 4: And Jake seemed to be like more than open to it right from.
Speaker 5: The get go, Like, is that a great idea to get involved with somebody in your apartment building?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: Probably not right, Like what happens if that goes around?
Speaker 2: I mean, what do you do with that feeling? I mean, right, what are you supposed to do with it? You live right near each other. It's almost like you got to go through with the feeling and the impulse and it's gonna happen. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. It's either sooner or later. But then you got to deal with repercussions.
Speaker 5: And it's I guess it's the same conversation for like, do you get involved with somebody that you work with? And yeah, you too, we did and everything you know worked out okay, like nothing nothing turned into a disaster, you know whatever, But but there's no things in why maybe you shouldn't.
Speaker 4: You know, doesn't mean you don't, but maybe you shouldn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think what was smart about the way they did Jake and Joe for the writers is that while we have this simmering, endlessly simmering thing with Billy and Allison, it's like we'll give you this, this hot couple is going to be making out, so you have the audience, so you have this great thing and that dichotomy is so good and billiy and Nelson not being able to share their feelings and you guys just like going for it. I love that balance.
Speaker 4: I thought I didn't an episode really fun.
Speaker 2: And to me it really made sense because of who they are. There conversations that they have and they both have run They run from the past, they run from people. They are not great at this stuff, but there is a chemistry that they connect and get intimate on and they need that and that's.
Speaker 3: How they do it.
Speaker 2: And I just they really as we see because they stay a couple for quite a while, but it makes sense for those characters. To me, I just don't see them, you know, not doing it. Uh And I feel like, yeah, same at work.
Speaker 6: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know, are you a Charlotte. In nineteen ninety seven, my life was forever changed when I took on the role of Charlotte Yorke on a new HBO show called Sex and the City. As we watched Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte navigate relationships in New York City. The show helped push once unacceptable conversation topics out of the shadows and altered the narrative around women and sex. We all saw ourselves in them as they searched for fulfillment in life, sex and friendships. Now I want to connect with you and share untold stories and all the behind the scenes together with special guests.
Speaker 4: What will begin with sex and the City.
Speaker 6: Will evolve into talks about themes that are still so relevant today. Are You a Charlotte is a much more than just rewatching our beloved show. It brings the past and the present together as we talk with heart, humor, and of.
Speaker 4: Course some optimism.
Speaker 6: Listen to Are You a Charlotte on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: Daph did you ever have a relationship with somebody you worked with?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, okay, I mean I've been working since I'm seventeen, you know, and they're long hours and I worked.
Speaker 4: A lot, so right, it's like not advisable, But you know, what are you going to do?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You kind of.
Speaker 2: I think I'll ask you guys, because you both did this on this show that we're talking about your acting skills come in handy, you know, because you are on the clock and you have certain lines to deliver and certain emotions to deliver, and they have maybe the total opposite of what you experienced off hours or with this other person, and they're there on set, and wherever you are in that relationship, you got to act. You got to show up and be a pro right as best as you can.
Speaker 1: Well. I feel so lucky in that Andrew was the person on that set that I connected with because we helped each other through that first crazy year when things got crazy. We're so like supportive because we're good friends too, and we always were good friends even when we were together as a couple. And so grateful that when the romantic part left our relationship that we could still be together because our characters were still together. And it's just lucky, right, because unless both people are being professional and kind, it can be awful. And it wasn't. And I'm so grateful that it wasn't, because he or I could have made it awful and I'm just grateful neither.
Speaker 5: Of us did.
Speaker 3: It was sweet. It was it's still sweet still.
Speaker 1: I think of him, was so much love and gratitude to this day. That was a really special time in my life.
Speaker 4: Everything turned out just fine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I mean, like you know, Grant and I dated during during the run of the show, and there was you know, a moment of inevitability when the storylines circle around and it's going to be like, oh, now Sidney's going to be you know, in a storyline with Jake, and just sort of that inevitability of every character is gonna loop around and somehow have a relationship with it. But there was this feeling like, wait, is that because.
Speaker 4: We're together in real life and then you.
Speaker 5: Know that's being there was this like oh it just that sort of uncomfortability that those are repercussions. I think professionally that you have to like you're saying like, okay, now we got to deal with this sort of on camera relationship where we also have this completely different in real life being right, But also I just I think that like the repercussions I think are even greater just to think are we going to make sure that we can end this well and not badly?
Speaker 4: Or like living in an apartment building, like ooh.
Speaker 5: If I start something with somebody in my apartment building and it, it eventually comes to an end.
Speaker 4: You know, how do I make that be?
Speaker 3: We all try our best.
Speaker 2: Nothing is listen in the world of love, nothing is totally me and perfect, and we do our best and things have their ending. And frankly, I think in this culture, this fantasy of romance always focuses on the beginning, the hotness, the feelings, and then the passion and then the middle, and no one ever focuses on the end. The end is an important part of it too, And to do it skillfully it's really hard because I don't think we have a lot of role models. We all have broken heart and people are left and stuff, and so you know, I remember once I had a breakup. It wasn't with someone I was working with, but you know, we went to my therapist. We had the most beautiful situation, and to this day it's like he we honored the ending of it.
Speaker 3: And I don't think a lot of people do it.
Speaker 2: And I think that's really hard if you're working twelve hours a day with someone.
Speaker 3: But you know, we do our best. Yeah, you know, and you got your.
Speaker 1: Lucky When Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin broke up and they said Conscious and Company, and they got so much crap for it. But here's the truth, right, if you can uncouple, Like the romantic part of our relationship isn't here, But if there's enough good to make contain a friendship, that's amazing because it wasn't in theory. Like for most relationships, it's not just sex that bonds you, right, hopefully there's a real emotional connection. It's amazing if you could keep that, especially obviously if you're working together, then that's it.
Speaker 2: And even if you're not going to be friends, just like a story, like a movie, like an episode, there's an ending. There is an ending that has as much importance as the middle and the beginning, and at least honor that. And maybe you'll never see each other or talk together, but you know, especially if you're working together, I would think that that would be so important.
Speaker 5: But you okay, So speaking of relationship consequences, yes, the fact that Michael brought Kimberly to his apartment complex while his wife is out of town for the Christmas party, Like, what do you think that would actually look like in real life?
Speaker 3: All answer?
Speaker 4: First, totally bad move, Like not cool?
Speaker 3: Yeah, not cool?
Speaker 1: I think it makes it look innocent though, because I'm bringing my friends, So why would I ever bring each.
Speaker 4: Try like, I'm sorry. If May's then.
Speaker 3: And said we made a baby today together, Yeah that.
Speaker 4: Was I mean, they that was mad.
Speaker 5: But if my husband brought a coworker to like a family party when I was out of town, that would that would feel very weird. Especially they've already had this conversation of like, should I be jealous? You know, he's already said, oh, we I really connected with this other, this colleague of mine, and she's beautiful and whatever, and Jane has to say, should I be jealous?
Speaker 4: And he's like maybe, but don't play that groundwork.
Speaker 5: And then also bring her while I'm out of town to the Christmas party?
Speaker 3: Not cool?
Speaker 2: I mean, this is one thing they say, I thought I thought this was interesting. Uh they did not say in this episode, but if the wife.
Speaker 3: Knows, then okay, if he had.
Speaker 2: Called Jane and said this person Kimberly, we let's.
Speaker 3: Pretend we know nothing about the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, when they were she was lonely, and they did go through a lot that day, a death of a child and the birth, and it's like, oh, it's a normal thing.
Speaker 3: I'm having a potlug. You want to come? If you call your wife. If the wife knows, then it's not a secret.
Speaker 2: If the wife doesn't know, then it's a secret, which means no, it's not a good idea.
Speaker 4: That's a good point.
Speaker 5: And also it is a little bit hard to divorce myself from like knowing what I know of those two characters to go, well, if I was, you know, but I guess in real life you don't have that crystal ball either to know what's coming. So it was like a very Christmas y like goodwill sort of extension to a friend, of.
Speaker 4: Course, saying you have nowhere to go, of course you should come celebrate Christmas here whatever you know.
Speaker 5: So but the clarity, I think it's just gets cloudy, like knowing what we know or whatever.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, absolutely uncool.
Speaker 2: But it's so fun watching it now because we do know, and the audience does know what a disaster that woman and that guy turns into. And they're just sitting there so innocently in her little inner sweater oversized sweater. Oh hi, and this happy family vibe, you know, with all these people and Matt has made the meal and the Turkey's Out and yeah, you're just going, it's just hilarious watching it now.
Speaker 5: I love that you get like this extra opportunity to dive a little bit deeper into some of these things that happened in the episodes. We're going to be doing these every week with our recaps. We're going to add these Melrose Minutes so because we need extra time to talk about stuff like we So thank you all for listening and make sure to catch up on all of the meln Rost Place recaps wherever you get your podcasts and follows still the Place on Instagram and TikTok. Good to see you guys.
Speaker 4: Thanks, I see you next time.