Speaker 1: And left let left right left left left left.
Speaker 2: Right left, good and march. We're marching for fu.
Speaker 1: Well because it's fun.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stories for Kids by Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play learning. Today, the friends are having quite a good time marching. Being together and moving as a group is fun. But they're about to learn that marching sometimes has a different, bigger meaning.
Speaker 3: But what is it?
Speaker 2: Let's find out This march is a fun game. Yeah, Billy says, it's not just a game.
Speaker 3: Of course it is. See, we're playing.
Speaker 1: And having fun and being silly and tambourine.
Speaker 2: Play plus fun plus silly plus tambourine equals game. This march does seem like a game. But Billy's right, a march is not always a game. Darn long ago, more than one hundred years ago, a group of women marched together in a way that was definitely not a game. Maybe they should have tried Galie's tambourine. Yeah, well, these women didn't want to play a game. They were marching together to express their demands.
Speaker 1: To the hands. Why holding the hands of a friend.
Speaker 3: No, the word is demands.
Speaker 2: It means to ask strong only for what you want and say it must happen.
Speaker 1: Demands. What did the marching women demand?
Speaker 3: They wanted to be treated fairly.
Speaker 2: Hell well, at that time, women were not allowed to vote, which means they couldn't help to choose leaders or decide what rules to have in their communities.
Speaker 1: But that's not there. Women should have been allowed to vote.
Speaker 3: Do yes.
Speaker 2: That was a problem. And they had another problem when they went to work. Oh no, they weren't getting the right amount of money for all their hard work. Instead, they were only given a tiny bit of money, even though they had.
Speaker 3: To work all day long.
Speaker 1: But that's not fair.
Speaker 3: You're right, it's not fair, Elliot.
Speaker 2: You so angry, and I think some of the women were angry about this too.
Speaker 3: Why didn't they tell somebody? Yeah, well that's the problem. Huh, nobody was listening. This makes me so mad. It's like they were stuck.
Speaker 1: What could they even do as nobody was listening to them? I know what I would do, me too, me three?
Speaker 2: What else besides yelling could they do when nobody was listening?
Speaker 3: Lingo, kids, listeners, do you have any ideas.
Speaker 2: They could Marsh Yep, that's exactly why they had to march because nobody was listening.
Speaker 1: Instead of using their voices, they used hmmm, their feet.
Speaker 3: They did, and it was a brave thing to do.
Speaker 1: Did their march worth well?
Speaker 2: It took a long time, but yes, Eventually they did get the right to vote.
Speaker 3: Yay, and work got better too, next gig.
Speaker 2: Yes, marching was a way for the women to get their voices heard, even when others didn't really want to listen.
Speaker 1: I think I would like to check out a march like that.
Speaker 2: You might be happy to learn that something like that march still goes on today.
Speaker 3: It does, Yes, it changed a.
Speaker 2: Bit, Yes, Billy, it's called International Women's Day.
Speaker 3: International Women's Day. That's right.
Speaker 2: International Women's Day is a holiday in some places. Ooh, and on this day people give women flowers, learn about their.
Speaker 3: Accomplishments, or just say thank you.
Speaker 2: It's also a time to continue fighting for women's rights.
Speaker 1: Flowers, thank yous, and fighting. There's a lot of different ways to so great International Women's Day.
Speaker 2: Well, I know how I'm going to celebrate.
Speaker 3: Marsh ready too much.
Speaker 1: My feet are already tapping.
Speaker 2: I have my tambourine left left left right left left left left.
Speaker 1: Right left.
Speaker 2: Lingo kids listeners, Thank you for coming together to talk about International Women's Day, which is on March eighth and Marching we learned that long ago women march to demand their rights and get treated fairly.
Speaker 3: On International Women's Day, people all over the world take time to celebrate women and to continue demanding their rights.
Speaker 2: Do you know any women who have done something wonderful supporting actual