Speaker 1: Looking for a mortgage bank to help you make your next major mortgage move, whether it's a refi or home purchase, regardless of whether it's your first one or one of many, consider our friends at Stockton Mortgage, but don't just take our word for it.
Speaker 2: Stockton Mortgage has over seventy thousand five star reviews and counting, just like this review from Joshua, who says this about his experience with Stockton. They were super professional, always answered my questions I had, and streamlined the process. I could not ask for better people to help me and my family get our first house. I feel blessed to be able to go through them. Be like Joshua or the sixty nine nine hundred ninety nine others just like him, and get started with Stockton Mortgage today by going to Stockton dot com and get started. I've even used Stockton Mortgage myself on my own home loan.
Speaker 3: For your home.
Speaker 2: Loan needs, Stockton dot com and click get started. Stockton Mortgage MLS eight two five nine, Equal Housing Lender NMLS, Consumer Access dot Org.
Speaker 4: This can Tucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage and the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety Safe Summer Driving Tour. Now Here's Matt Jones, Welcome.
Speaker 5: Back, Tucky Sports Radio five nine two eight, twenty two eighty seven, text Machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four.
Speaker 3: A lot of people.
Speaker 5: Reminded me some other things about the nineties. We hosted the Olympics in Atlanta. Of course, the Dream Team. How do we forget about the Dream Team? Should have had the Dream Team?
Speaker 3: Should have had? The Dream Team?
Speaker 5: Can I read you shannon movies from the nineties just to confirm our things? Right?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, let's just go.
Speaker 5: I'm just gonna read you the top twenty on this list, Shawshank, Schindler's List, Goodfellas, Fight Club, Pulp Fiction seven, Silence of the Lamb, Terminator two, Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, The Matrix, Goodwill, Hunting Heat, The Usual Suspects, Truman Show, Reservoir Dogs, Fargo, Toy Store.
Speaker 4: It's pretty strong of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a I mean, that's all bangers.
Speaker 6: That's not even including like nineties comedies that were so good, dumb and dumber stuff like that. Comedies were so much better.
Speaker 5: It's Seinfeld, You Had Friends. Those were the two of the bigger shows. One Person Rights, you're Matt. You're just being egotistical. Everybody thinks the time they were in college is the best time. That's what everyone believes. Drew, wasn't it in college? You were not in college then, wasn't even really in high school yet either? Yeah, Shannon. Country music, let's just go through the country music, Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Dwight Yoko, right, George Straight Then all the one hit wonders, you're Joe Diffy's, you're Tracy Lawrence, is Toby Keith when he was cool, Kenny Chesney before he got dorky.
Speaker 4: Joe Differ wasn't a one hit wonder. Who Joe Diffy wasn't a one hit wonder.
Speaker 5: Neither was Toby King. I'm just going, I'm just saying, like secondary, yeah, right. And then on the women's side, you I didn't like Reba McIntyre, but she's Shanaiah Twain, right, Faith Hill, Tim mcgrawl.
Speaker 2: More.
Speaker 6: On sports, you had the Bulls, Dynasty, Tiger at the Masters.
Speaker 5: Yeah, basement, we went through a lot of that. Cowboys forty nine Ers, Reds won a World Series and the Braves won World Series.
Speaker 4: Braves were in just about every World series. They lost more than they won, but still they were there. They were the team in the nineties.
Speaker 6: All right, you got it, ride your bike t till this till the lights come on.
Speaker 3: That's right, you could ride your bike. Do people even have bikes now? But do kids?
Speaker 6: Do they make bikes?
Speaker 3: I mean now it's all.
Speaker 4: Ye, they got bikes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean people do have bikes, but now they all wear those stupid shorts. Like the idea of just wearing a riding a bike shandon just as a community as.
Speaker 4: Everybody's got to look like they're in the Tour de France exactly.
Speaker 5: Do people Terry Miners does that? It's like Terry Miners like, well, yeah, we don't need to wear.
Speaker 4: Those shorts bright spandex and.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, do kids play flashlight tag anymore or any of that stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that.
Speaker 4: Closing catchers something I don't.
Speaker 3: Know about that. All right, we will get the phones a couple things.
Speaker 5: First of all, Mark Stoops, we have its first picture of him in a Texas colors and Texas shirt shorts.
Speaker 3: It was a little three off, a little.
Speaker 6: Bit right, definitely did, especially when you factor in the Stoops history of being in Oklahoma, not so much him as brother, but Stoops is kind of a cussword around Austin, Texas, So there's that angle of it. And then just seeing our coach of thirteen years wearing that royal Kentucky blue now wearing the burnt orange.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 6: I'm still thankful for what he did here. It needed, it needed to end when it did. I saw some people in the comments being kind of hateful to him. I hate seeing that. I don't think it needed to we needed to change, but he took us to heights we'd.
Speaker 2: Never seen Texas.
Speaker 5: Let's say Texas plight here this year Kentucky versus Texas and they don't do this, but let's say they introduced the coaching staffs. I think our fan base would intentionally wait for Mark Stoop's name and would give loud applause.
Speaker 3: Do you agree with that? I think so.
Speaker 5: I mean there might be a few hater but I think overall Mark Stoops would get applause, and one day he will get raucous applause. But I actually think he would get applause even now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, It's different than being like the head coach like cal at Arkansas got booed, and I had no problem with that. This is he's like an analyst, kind of a holdover job. I don't see this as going to another program and being like a rival or anything.
Speaker 5: When he didn't leave and like he wasn't kind of condescending on the way out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's been around Lexington. I've seen fifty photos of Stoops at random places since he's been gone. He's still just here living his life and meeting fans and taking photos.
Speaker 3: Shannon, do you think he would get applause?
Speaker 4: I do, yeah, And I still like him too, you know, like when it comes to, like to talking to the media. He was at his absolute best when he was on this show because he would open up and kind of let his guard down. And I think you get a lot out of him when he was just on the show. So I don't really have any bad feelings towards him.
Speaker 5: I don't think there is. I think there was a younger part of the fan base that had Stoops hate because they had been very young when the Stoops really good years happened, and so a lot of them didn't remember it. But I think in general, Stoops is we talk about this sometimes. If you did the whole, like what they do with President's approval rating approved disapproved. Just as a person, I think Mark Stoops would get seventy five percent approval in Kentucky, don't you.
Speaker 6: I think so too, especially as you get older and you saw years and years of Kentucky football before he got here. Like when we were at that Citrus Bowl when they beat Penn State, I feel like we had won the Super Bowl, just a new feelings.
Speaker 7: I was so.
Speaker 5: Farwesome that game in Orlando when we beat at Penn State. I was there with my then girlfriend and I set in the stands, which I never did, you know, I usually sit with the media. I set in the stands, and I had so much fun the whole Lyn Bowden Mark Stoops yelling at James Franklin Benny's now broke the rushing record in that game and got on his knees and then I think we maybe had a turnover at the end to win. That was like such an awesome day in a game that you know, I don't know that ball games matter anymore, but that one.
Speaker 3: Felt like it did.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because before that, when Rich Brooks took us to felt like nineteen straight Music City Bowls I thought that was the peak of Kentucky football. So Stoops even took us to a higher level. Now, he maybe more than anyone in coaching when nil and everything changed. I think part of Barnhardt wasn't the biggest help in that era. We just fell behind and he couldn't recover. He was more cut out for football before everything changed to the new landscape.
Speaker 5: I think that's true. Well, I like Mark Stoops. I hope he just getting started, bro, that's right. I hope in Texas he might be playing for a title this year. Who knows, you know. I mean that's that's a possibility, depending on how things go.
Speaker 6: What a good get from Texas to go get a tenured coach like that final just to be an analyst Ford.
Speaker 5: RFK Junior, Shannon your guy, he's my he's your guy. He was in Lexington yesterday. I had two reports of sidings, so he was here. I think he was here for some event early on campus. Yeah, and uh, he ate at Malone's.
Speaker 4: When the Planet Fitness worked out in his jeans.
Speaker 3: That's why I was Okay. So I got told that. Did you get told that too?
Speaker 4: I'm just making it up.
Speaker 3: No, I I that happened. You were just making that up?
Speaker 4: Yes, didn't you tell me what the Planet Fitness have worked out in jail?
Speaker 5: It wasn't Planet Fitness, but I there was a gem. I'm not gonna say which one because I think they did a private workout, so I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Call out the person.
Speaker 4: I didn't know.
Speaker 5: But he worked out in jeans. Well, I cannot believe you said that as a joke.
Speaker 4: I thought you were like, no real, No, No, I didn't know that.
Speaker 5: Yes, no he did. There was a listener who he snapped a picture and promised me I wouldn't post it, so I'm not going to. But he was. He was working out in a T shirt and jeans. Yeah, yesterday in lex because.
Speaker 6: He was on campus. Abby had a big part in his event, and I was trying to get him surprise you all on the show before all this happened, because I knew this was coming a little bit in advance. Oh my goodness, I really if he just walked in here, he couldn't come in. I was like, can you just hand him the phone just for a little interview that you would have gotten me because I don't know.
Speaker 4: What I would have said, what would you have asked him.
Speaker 5: You know, that's a great question. If you just all of a sudden said talk to Ris. Surprise you be like, did you really eat a whale's head?
Speaker 8: Was ye?
Speaker 2: Next question? I think he would say yes.
Speaker 5: I saw he did an interview where he said something like I'll eat anything I find on the.
Speaker 3: Ground, anything, anything. That's what he said. I mean, I don't believe he means that.
Speaker 4: But look, who's back.
Speaker 3: That was unbelievable time. Did you did you watch any of it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We did. I hated to leave. I didn't want to leave. It was awesome.
Speaker 3: Well you had eight more minutes you could have watched.
Speaker 2: You said to be back by eleven ten.
Speaker 3: Weirst text you to go. You could stay at eleven you get a text.
Speaker 2: I no text.
Speaker 4: I did text.
Speaker 2: Let's go back down there. I did.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you seem very excited.
Speaker 2: I really really wanted to stay because it was fun. What they're going five on five. They're going down the court five on five ago, but not your turn. You guys been down there.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'll tell you what, Drew. You want to go for like five minutes? I go, then you go. No, we'll go together. Okay, we'll go real quick. Yeah, and then when you take us to eleven thirty and then we'll be back and.
Speaker 2: We'll compare notes if you came across with the same notes.
Speaker 3: All right, so you got this, all right, Well we'll see you in a minute.
Speaker 4: All right, it's all you, Ryan, it's being to you. You want to take a call or do you want to you want to jump into what you saw?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can talk about what we saw now because they're not here. I didn't want to sway their their their opinions of things.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So you were there for how long? Maybe ten minutes, maybe ten minutes, okay, And when you walked in, were they doing five on five immediately or they.
Speaker 2: Doing Oh yeah, they were already doing five on five And they were doing five on five the whole time we were there. So it kind of gives you a good perspective of things. And here's the first thing I walked away with Papaal Frank is a big man.
Speaker 4: That's what somebody else said already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he is a big, massive man. And he was running up and down the floor. You know, he's supposed to be hurt and not participating, but he was going up and down the floor a little bit, So I think that's a good sign.
Speaker 4: Sam kind of outscooped you because we heard that while you were gone. He's the first person to call it in and told us that same thing. But you coming back and seeing the same thing really kind of hammers home that this is a big, imposing guy in the post.
Speaker 2: They need him for backup. If Malachi is your guy, you gotta have a backup. Here's the second thing I noticed of my takeaway, Mom, Silovitch didn't miss a shot. I mean, he did not miss a shot.
Speaker 4: How many did he take?
Speaker 2: Probably five, but like a three in transition he just pulled up nailed it right in somebody's face. I mean, the dude we were there for. Again, a sample size is not very long, but he did not miss it.
Speaker 4: Well, somebody was saying that he shot twenty four, made twenty three out of twenty four to start practice, while you're telling me he went five for five. Yeah, so he put in transition twenty eight for twenty nine for practice. It was just pretty insane. We always heard that from Mark Pope, you know, he said that Trent Noah would shoot ninety percent. You know it hit ninety out of one hundred and threes in practice.
Speaker 2: You know that.
Speaker 4: That's exciting to hear. Though.
Speaker 2: That's another takeaway, Trent, Noah is not practicing. He was on the sideline, so I don't know if it's still hampered by the hamstring. I think he's messing with or an ankle.
Speaker 4: Do you think it's that or do you think maybe you just weren't there long enough for him to be subbed in?
Speaker 2: No we I asked him the people that were sitting around us, and he said he hadn't practiced at all. Okay, so I think maybe he did just did some shooting drills but did not do the practice. Yeah, now here's the big takeaway that's going to rattle some people. Oh, okay, gonna rattle you if you had to pick a point guard today, and again it's a small sample size, but the best point guard on the floor today was Mason Williams. And it wasn't even close, not even close that dude. But this dude's gonna PLAYO. He is gonna play though, yeah zoom zoom. I'm sure will be the starter. Yeah, but Mason Williams is gonna play. I'm just telling you right now. If there's one guy that comes out of nowhere ends up playing, it's him or your guy Justin McBride, who I think if you had to pick a start, he four today he's he's the guy he hit a three in transition might so.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The two big surprises I think were Mason Williams and and Justin McBride. But they all, you know, they were passing the ball well, looked good, but uh, Mason Williams, he was the best player that we saw. And if Mario was here, he would agree with me.
Speaker 4: Plus, they've still got one roster spot open too. They could add one of these guys if that five for five thing goes through. Some of these guys that were you know, they thought they were gonna be done with college basketball. Now we're able to come back. You may be able to pick up you know, the kid from Auburn or you know somebody else out there that's that's still floating around. And to add that in.
Speaker 2: You know, use in the post you got Malachi Pat, Paul Frank and Rhys Potter, but at the four you got Justin McBride in Jy. I guess Mom Sillivian could slip down to the four. Yeah, that's a position of need. I think right there in Jai was out there, but I didn't really seem too much to pop, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, But if they weren't able to get a guy like Keishawn Hall, who averaged nineteen points I think at Auburn last year, Yeah, he would have to come in to best, he'd have to take somebody's starting position.
Speaker 2: I think he would. I think he would come in and but just McBride's gonna play. I think him and Mason Williams both proved to me there. They may not start, but both those dudes are gonna play.
Speaker 4: So the intensity wasn't that of a normal practice. It was like full blown five on five, you know, one hundred percent out there from what you saw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and coach Pope would like, you know, stop him and do some coaching. He shushed the crowd one time, did he Yeah, some dudes who were sitting down low on the courty, he shushed them. He was trying to do some coaching.
Speaker 4: Get kicked out of an open practice by.
Speaker 2: No you don't. Yeah, no you don't. So that's good. So I guess that you and me for a for a segment or two, you want to go ahead and toss to a break.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we could do that. We'll come back. We'll take some calls A five nine, two eighth, twenty two eighty seven. It's Shannon and and I guess I'll throw it to break here. We'll be right back to Kesar.
Speaker 2: Wait, man, is this one of Mario songs? This is?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's Laurlaurren Hill and the fujis Lauren. Yeah, do wop that thing?
Speaker 2: I do like this song. I know this song. Okay, this back from what the late nineties.
Speaker 4: I think this might be might be the first one that I know that we've played so far today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know the other one, the candy Candy Lane Pop whatever.
Speaker 4: You say to Rain, I think it was not Candy Rain.
Speaker 2: I got a couple things I gotta clarify.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: First, our buddy Nick, that's Harper's dad, is friend of the show. He says they had an open practice at Freedom Haul one year and they played Louisville. I kind of remember that. I think they had it was the shoot around that day. They let fans from Louisville come in and watch them shoot around.
Speaker 4: So what year was that?
Speaker 2: None, I don't remember. Maybe uh, gosh, maybe two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight.
Speaker 4: But I mean, how did they get the information out back then? Did they send it to a radio show? I mean, I know, like we I guess that was like the beginning of social media, but you know, you didn't have social media where you could just jump on and go live on Instagram and to all your followers and go, hey, we're gonna have a practice in an hour, get over here to the arena. Yeah, how did you get the word out back then? If it was unless it was planned like, you know, a couple of days in advance.
Speaker 2: They had to they had to plan in advance. And nope, say they're opening to open the doors for the shooting around. Maybe mentioned on the Coaches Show and local media reports. Probably we had it right. So uh and apparently the guy that coach Pope shushed down the court. Somebody said it was Goose.
Speaker 4: Telling Goose to be quiet.
Speaker 2: Maybe he didn't realize who it was when he turned around and shushed him, like, oh uh, oh, that's Goose. You can go ahead and talk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Goose is going to be calling your game. You can't be shushing whom so.
Speaker 2: Hight seven Shan Si, we got some from them. Callers lined up. I hope there's somebody who's calling from practice and.
Speaker 9: Get somewhere out.
Speaker 4: The preacher who called earlier is back and preacher are you there?
Speaker 8: Ugh, yes, yes, I'm here at the practice. I actually just saw Matt and Drew walk in. I just came and s side Drew. I've impressed with the physicality. Pope is really making them battle. He even put Mont Pilovic with the big guys on a one on one drill, Hawthorne too, and then the guards on the other end were battling. So I think he's stressing with these guys to be very physical. Right now, they're doing five on five half court. Looks like Mark Fox's drawing a place and seeing that they can follow along, and then obviously working on defense. Pope is occasionally stopping it. He's occasionally stopping it to show little things that he's not micromanaging. And they definitely keep practicing movie. They go from one drill the next pretty quickly.
Speaker 4: So Ryan said about ten minutes ago that Vontilavince didn't miss a shot. He was when he was there at the arena. Has he missed a shot since then?
Speaker 2: I have.
Speaker 8: I mean just in the flow of things. But it's not like, man, he can't shoot this obviously. Yeah, man, this kid's impressive. He's very good at shooting. I also would say Malachi, he looks bigger and stronger, more physical, and and I've been impressed with his just overall size. It looks like he put on a lot of bucks and Morton. Morton just got to put back and finish. And he's been playing tough that senior leadership Kentucky kids. I think he just leaves it all on the court.
Speaker 2: Awesome, Thank you, preacher, appreciate your phone call. A little update Leather Live update from Sham. I'm impress. He's lett him go five on five the whole time the people are there, the fans are there. Instead of just seeing jacking up, shooting drills and wooing the crowd with some you know, threes and dunks, he's leting him play.
Speaker 4: Well. Here's the thing, though, if you're gonna call for fans to get there, you got I feel like you almost have to do that because fans don't want to see you come in and do a layup line or do jump shot. They want to see a five on five scrimmage. So I think that's probably the right thing to do, you know. And by the way, it looks like Jack's calling in.
Speaker 2: Here, Jack Goose, Gibbings, I think. So what's get him on, Goose is that.
Speaker 7: You Yes, how you doing guys? Good?
Speaker 2: Goose?
Speaker 4: You just get shushed by Mark Pope. Somebody said that he shushed you.
Speaker 7: He did, he did. I was, I was. I was talking to one of the assistant coaches. We were discussing, uh, discussing something, and uh, he blew the whistle and and then he walked by a little while ago said Goose, you go ahead and talk. Then no problem, you know, But but yeah, it was I got, I got shish man Jack.
Speaker 4: We've been hearing from some of the fans calling in who were there, But you know, if anybody's opinion, I trust it would be Jack Gibbings, Ryan. So, uh give us, uh your thoughts on what you've seen so far from practice today?
Speaker 7: Well today, very very spirited practice, fast moving, a lot of different teams, then worked on, touched on. I think it was an attempt by Mark Pope and the staff to just make sure the guys knew where they need to be thinking what they needed to be thinking the next a month or so while they're off so but very spirited. Man. It was. It was exciting to.
Speaker 2: Watch my biggest takeaway goose again. My sample size was very small, but my biggest takeaway that I was surprised to moje Mason Williams is gonna play and if I had to pick a starting point guard just based on today, it's Mason Williams. He looked great out there today.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know how you cannot give give him some minutes. You just love kids that work hard, I mean, and Mark singled them out man one time on a fist break. He took away the lane from Alex and forced him back to the middle where the health defense just like they have it designed. And he just works so dagone hard. It's hard to keep a guy like that out of the lineup. I'm not sure that I'm ready to name him as a starter just simply because he is a freshman and has a lot to learn. But one thing for sure is you don't feel bad about having him in there.
Speaker 2: And my other takeaway was I think Justin McBride says, don't try to fill someone else into that four spot. That's gonna be my spot. I thought he looked good out there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and you know, justin he he was out for a few weeks sick, uh and did not get the practice. So he was in great shape, I mean great condition before he had to sit for about three weeks. And I did talk to him yesterday at practice and I just went up to him saying, young fellow, keep working hard. He said, Man, I hated that I'm not in shape. I was feeling so good. I said, yes, you were, you were looking good. But he wants that starting spot. It's going to take a lot to move him out. I would have put him in there before he missed those three weeks.
Speaker 4: So being illed Jack, we only got about a minute before we got to hit a break here. But how would you compare what you've seen from this team, and I assume today's I mean you've probably seen these guys in practice other times other than today. How would you compare this year's team to what we had last year?
Speaker 7: Well, I won't compare this team hardly at all to what we had last year because I'm an old school guy and I think everything starts in practice. And the biggest difference is that this team likes to practice. I didn't get that phil last year from our team. But this team wants to practice and they want to get better. Not that last year's team didn't want to get better, but I think the difference is the biggest thing. Comparisons more to the first team Marks first team than last year's team, because you have so many guys who can shoot it. But that is the biggest compare to Mark's first team, not so much last year's team.
Speaker 4: All right, Jack, thanks for calling in. We appreciate it, and don't.
Speaker 2: Get in trouble the next proctice. Jack. Yeah, come on now, Yeah.
Speaker 7: I know, man, I know. I was surprised he didn't tell me to run, get on the line and run. Man, I'm glad he didn't do that.
Speaker 4: I'll coppreciate you calling him, Bro' talk to you next week on the lead report. There you go, it's Jack Gibbons. Thanks for yep. So how about that Jack Givens calling in and giving us some and you listen he speaks. Oh absolutely, that's what I'm saying. A right, we'll talk more about that coming up next. Kentucky's Sports Radio. TJ Smith, personal injury attorney, called TJ He'll make them pay. Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Here's Matt Jones, Brian and this is our next Mario song. I feel like this would be approved by you if any song on the list would be It's Michael Jackson p yt pretty the.
Speaker 2: Last two songs he's picked, I would pick. I love both of these songs. Pretty young thing. Ah, keep going, No, it's meal good, Okay, all right?
Speaker 4: Hey, this summer, whatever you're watching, baseball, golf, soccer, racing, DraftKings as you covered for every single moment of it, DraftKings App is now available, bringing the game straight to your fingertips wherever you are. No matter where you're watching, you're always connected with one app. And if you're a new customer, sign up with Promo code KSR. Spend five bucks to get one hundred and fifteen rewards within fourteen days. Again, that's for new customers. Promo Code KSR only on DraftKings gambling problem called one ten, one hundred Gambler twenty one plus Kentucky only. Eligibility restrictions apply. Fifty dollars and non withdrawable bonus bets issued every seven days. If you had click to claim for fourteen days. Bonus bets expired seven days after issuance. For additional terms were responsible gaming resources, the sportsbook, dot DraftKings dot com, slash promos, limited time offer right.
Speaker 2: I got go ahead, I got one more updated was sent to me apparently after Mario and I left and before Matt and Drew got there. Braiden Hawthorne dunked over pap off Frank Big Frank. Oh, we just talked about how massive Big Frank is and Braiden Hawthorne apparently allegedly reportedly dunked on these heads.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's good stuff from Jack too, by the way, I mean, it's one thing to hear that, and no disrespect to any of our fans or our correspondence. We appreciate everybody calling in, but you know, when you hear it from Jack, a guy who has done this at you know, a high level, and is a guy that everybody you know trusts and respects, it's it's it's a little bit different hearing it from from Goose.
Speaker 2: Like I said, Yeah, when Jack Gibbons talks basketball, people listen, and when he's given the report, I trust everything he says. He's a guy told us last year at Haythorne was the best player in practice at times last year.
Speaker 4: That's right, Yeah he did.
Speaker 2: He's got to be quiet when he goes to practice.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: Yet, by the way, I think we've lost Matt and Drew. I don't think they're coming back. Do you think they're going to be back before that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll be here for the last segment because they're going to be excited about what they saw. Like Mario and ioware and we were both excited, and you got to see the team. I didn't want to leave. I wanted to stay. I wanted to stay and watch more of the practice, but I kne we had to get back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you want to take some calls, Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Let's take some more calls.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go to Chris. I don't know if any of these people are at the arena, but we'll find out. Chris is up next.
Speaker 10: Hey, guys, I'm not at the arena, but I do have a very special announcement. It is my mom's, Patricia Schwartz's seventy ninth birthday, and I just wanted to wish her a very happy birthday. And I love you so much.
Speaker 2: Mom, Oh, that's happy birthday, Patricia.
Speaker 4: There you go, hey baby, stop happy. You wanted just to give a shout Okay, we're just doing shout outs.
Speaker 2: Now, I guess shout out for birthdays.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, let's go to Brian. Hey, Brian, Yes, I was.
Speaker 9: Calling to give some information. Can you hear me?
Speaker 10: Ye?
Speaker 4: Go ahead?
Speaker 7: Hello, I give you some.
Speaker 9: Information about why about why Robert Downey Junior was there. Robert Kennedy Jr. He was there because sorry, sorry about that. He was there because of the Kentucky Oregon uh, the Official Kentucky org Center. He shut it down because they had been harvesting organs from people who weren't completely dated. One guy was on the site.
Speaker 2: Move go ahead, appreciate the fun thought because I have no idea what he's talking about. You guys talk about that when we were gone or something?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, wa, well he was we were talking about RFK was in. RFK Junior was in Lexington yesterday and went out to eat and there's some pictures that were taken and then apparently he also worked out in a gym and his jeans. But so yeah, I think he may have been gone that segment we were.
Speaker 2: Talking about that. Yeah, I didn't know what he's talking about that.
Speaker 4: In another well, we got some open lines eight five, nine, two eight, twenty two eighty seven. I did get my brown suit yesterday, Ryan.
Speaker 2: Did you come to Lexon and pick it up?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 4: I had it delivered to level nice. Yeah. Yeah, so I'm excited about it. I was telling Mario. He was like, did you try it on? I go, well, no, because number one, if I did try the thing on and it didn't fit for some reason, it's too late at this point. That's true, So it is what it is. And then secondly, I didn't want to take it off the riot because I felt like if I did and then try to put it back like in my closet, it would end up wrinkled, and then I would have wrinkled clothes for the wedding. So I just let it be and then I'm going to try it on Saturday for the first time, right before the wedding.
Speaker 2: But well, I did see I mean again, I'm no Bill Meck, but the weather forecast has gone from like seventy two percent chanceer rain to like twenty five percent chanceer rain. It was drastically reduced for Saturday.
Speaker 4: Good, good, well, I hope everything goes well. I'm looking forward to your prayer. I mean that that was big news yesterday that you were going to do the prayer.
Speaker 2: I appreciate them ask of me. I'm looking forward to it. So, you know, special blessing for our happy couple before the meal is served. So I'll be glad to do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's coming up Saturday, that it's gonna be a big day for Billy and we're all gonna be magic, except for you said you've got something that you're gonna wear.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it scares me or not when you say you've got something that you're gonna wear, because normally that means something inappropriate.
Speaker 2: It's not inappropriate. It's yeah, a little different than what we're all going to be having on so on. And I you know, I admit I'll probably be the best looking dude there at the wedding. So in your own mind, I don't want to steal the spotlight from the bride and the groom. But evarghly, it's when I walk in, it's what's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: I understand. All right, let's go to Scotty from Florida. Hey, Scotty, what's up guys?
Speaker 8: So Ryan your overreaction Thursday? Are we winning at all? I hang up and listen.
Speaker 2: Appreciate that, Scotty. I don't think we have a team that can win it all. But we got a team I think we can really like and get excited about and enjoy watching. I think they're going to be a really good offensive team. They're going to shoot the ball really really well. And uh, you know, I heard Goose on the Leech Report this morning, Shanning Goose said that they're a better defensive team than people giving them credit for. You see a lot of that today, being a great defensive stopping team because everybody was shooting the lights out when we when I was there.
Speaker 4: And hearing that this team reminds him more of the first year's team, Yes, also gets me a little excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, last year's team was just frustrating to watch it, Toms, it was there were you know you go back to I mean, if you want to pick out one game specifically, I think the Gonzaga game is the game that stands out is like what are we doing out there? But hearing that this year's team has got more characteristics of the first team that he had here, which, by the way, I remember that was a team that he threw together in just like six weeks. So you still got one other spot too, as we mentioned too. So this this team, I don't want to get too over excited about it based off of and I haven't seen any of it, and just based off of what everybody's saying. But you do like the comparison more so than the first team than last year's team.
Speaker 2: And I think a lot of the comparison is these guys is a team that you're really gonna enjoy watching. You know we were that first team. Oh they're back. Let's get the report good live from Upperna, Matt and Drew.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hello there shit, yes, yes, you guys are back. You made it back quick.
Speaker 3: You know that walk was sponsored by Corn Brad Hemp.
Speaker 5: You go to Corporatehimp dot com and you are able to get Seltzer's. You're able to get gummies, everything you'd need at Corporate hip dot Com. Used my promo codec y. Remember we're trying to save Himp in the Kentucky workplace, well not just the workplace, but also the home place. Cornbreadhimp dot com. Use a promo code KSR. Drew and I are back. We lost Mario Shannon and the young guy can't keep up with the old guys.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, really.
Speaker 3: That's right here. We lost him.
Speaker 5: He can't he's walking behind us.
Speaker 3: He couldn't keep up. We lost him on Maine somewhere I don't want to get We'll give our report.
Speaker 5: I enjoyed it and made me a little happy, maybe even old Scrooge over here. I'll feel a little happier. We'll take a break and very back and do it. It's KSR. It is Kentucky Sports Radio. All right, Drew, you and I just got back eight five nine two eight twenty two eighty seven, text machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. Let's go over some stuff. First of all, big crowd would be crowd three four hundred five maybe four hundred.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And I love that people are just able on a Thursday morning to just drop what they're doing to get the reparna.
Speaker 3: Yeah. People kind of going in and out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you could tell some people just run in just a quick glance, maybe early lunch break.
Speaker 3: But it's very cool if you cad to do that. Yeah, that was very very cool.
Speaker 5: That was in It's a neat little setting because you feel like you're, you know, Ryan seeing something other people haven't seen. And I think that was a neat thing for them to do.
Speaker 2: It heard from a lot of dads who went and got their kid and they said let's go. It just ran out the door.
Speaker 3: They announced it, like last night.
Speaker 6: How many people you think, Oh yeah, anyone that had time to drive a little farther. I think people would come from all over the state. You only had about an hour, maybe a little more.
Speaker 3: But that was cool.
Speaker 5: Then uh, all right, so again we saw seven minutes. So let's just overreact. Melon's the best shooter. He he hit a.
Speaker 3: Shot that that was that like dribble in like who used to shoot those?
Speaker 5: A lot? Aberdeen would shoot those last year, you know, take a step in and put the Jalen Brunson show, huh and he it was like in whoever it was Gardning's face, that dude's gonna be And when he made it, Pope started screaming, best shooter in America, Best shooter in America, best shooter in America.
Speaker 2: Well he when Mari and I was there, he didn't miss a shot. That was one of our big takeaways. He was like five or five in the transition five five against gonna be, He's gonna be, didn't miss a shot.
Speaker 6: He's the player on the whole team where I feel like we know exactly what we're gonna get. He's not gonna let us down. How many points of games you're gonna have? Uh eighteen?
Speaker 3: I think, I mean like he's gonna pull.
Speaker 5: He's also gonna give driving lanes for the guards because he's gonna pull whoever's guard names good cannot leave his side because if he gets a step, I mean going out, it's going up and it's going in. I mean, Pope was screaming, best shooter in America.
Speaker 2: But your other big takeaways the.
Speaker 3: The kid for from Winchester. He scored Mordon.
Speaker 6: He got a bucket round when we walked in. As we walk in, he looked good.
Speaker 2: And he's kind of a more of an energy guy. But if he can provide a little offense, yeah, I'll get some minutes.
Speaker 6: Mason Williams doesn't shut up. No, he was like that at TBT. He was the one jawing with Mario Chalmers at Chalmers So he's like a.
Speaker 5: True freshman, true fresh yelling like he was yelling at Malachi. He was like yelling at who is that Justin McBride.
Speaker 2: Okay, you don't even know this because we didn't say it till he left. Marian almost said, if you picked a point guard today, it's him. He was the best point guard on the floor when when we were there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't really get to see the Zoom for whatever reason, wasn't in the ton when we were there.
Speaker 3: But I was just amazed at how much Mason was.
Speaker 2: Dude's gonna play, isn't he He's gonna play.
Speaker 3: He's gonna play. Yeah, I mean that could end up being a steel.
Speaker 2: Yeah freshman, right backup point guard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Alex Wilkins is tiny, like like like for people who go, oh well, I still think he's gonna be really good. I still hold Alex Wilkins stock. But he's he's tiny, he's gonna be shorter. He might be shorter in zoom.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And he's he's all bones and he's a score. He's gonna get his buckets. But defensively, when he gets against bigger guards in the SEC, that might be a problem.
Speaker 5: You could just kind that's the first time I've seen in person. I was kind of surprised how skinny.
Speaker 2: He was, small statue, like Drew said, kind of just his frame is not very thick.
Speaker 5: Now, Frank is a massive man. Yeah, I mean i'd fight him, but pretty much anybody else shouldn't.
Speaker 2: You'd run out the door if he turned on you. That dude is a massive, massive human being.
Speaker 6: I was just happy to see him in a uniform after he's missed most of the summer. He was standing on the sideline most of the time Matt and I were there.
Speaker 2: He didn't really he didn't let him down the floor when you guys were there.
Speaker 3: No, we were a little bit.
Speaker 6: But he was dressed out and sweaty like he had just been working out. So I'm just glad to see him be available because keeping him healthy, I think is a big part of the whole season.
Speaker 3: Was bigger.
Speaker 2: He didn't play. He wasn't practicing. They said he didn't practice all at all. Today.
Speaker 3: It didn't look like he was. He didn't.
Speaker 5: He just looked to me like he was physically bigger. Yeah, that Reese Parter was playing a lot.
Speaker 6: He hostly saw the backups playing a little short scrimmage.
Speaker 2: Our other big takeaway for Mario and I was justin McBride. If he had to pick a starter for the four, it probably would have been him today just to what we saw.
Speaker 3: He still he's still got about ten or fifteen pounds of baby fat. He needs to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably get a three. In transition when they were going five on five.
Speaker 3: It was fun.
Speaker 5: I mean Mark Fox was doing most of the coaching, but Mark Pope was just I mean, he ain't good. To remember last year we went to practice that went for the media, he like almost didn't talk.
Speaker 3: Not in this one. Mark Pope said he's yelling yeah, and he's like going at him.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 6: Alex Wilkins, when I interviewed him a week or two ago, he said, I've seen people say dark Pope online. I just want you all to know that's how he is behind the scenes. He's intense and I was thinking, really yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, practices to two and he didn't speak during most of him He was very quiet, I don't know, not speak, but like he let it. But not in this one. He stopped practice three or four times when they would do one little thing wrong. Reminds me that's kind of how cow could be sometimes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Fox was running mostly with the clipboard out there. But again, they just have so many people involved, even they weren't coaching, Like, the sideline was full of people with iPads and clipboards and so that was exciting.
Speaker 3: I'm glad they did it.
Speaker 2: We all got a chance be on there least, yes, soaking in a little bit.
Speaker 3: Shannon, Shannon didn't get seen anything. That's so that's okay.
Speaker 4: I got to talk to good though, so that's it's good.
Speaker 2: Enough for me.
Speaker 3: Jack Gibbons just called in.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, we just told the story how Pope shushed somebody in the crowd and then somebody let us know he shushed Goose. Goose like called in right right.
Speaker 3: After he told Jack Gibbs to stop talking.
Speaker 2: He turned around. I don't think he knew who it was it was talking. He had turned around like guys, guys, and it was Goose and an assistant.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you all you all had Preacher on here right, Yes, he came in right next time.
Speaker 3: He was yelling.
Speaker 5: When he was on the it's dead silent in there, so if you talk, he said, down right next to me, are you talking to the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he gave us a live report.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we saw Sam our other correspondent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that was that was Neat. Good job UK, absolutely, good job UK for doing that. And then football is this afternoon.
Speaker 2: And it's open just to the media, right, it's just to the media.
Speaker 5: Yes, uh, Ryan, do you know a young professional who's making Kentucky better?
Speaker 2: Oh, why don't you tell me about one?
Speaker 3: Well, no, I'm just asking do you know one?
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, Mario Maitland.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you could nominate him for twenty twenty six to Young Professional of the Year. Well, I'm going to someone under forty who's making a difference through leadership, yes, innovation, service to their career and community.
Speaker 2: That's Mario.
Speaker 3: You should nominate them.
Speaker 2: I think I will nominate Mario.
Speaker 3: Well, can I tell you how to do it?
Speaker 2: Please do.
Speaker 3: The winner will be recognized at September twenty first in Louisville.
Speaker 5: Nominations are easy ky Chamber dot Com slash y P Award Young Professional.
Speaker 3: YP Awards So Young ky Chamber dot Com.
Speaker 2: Slash ky Professional. You did you got none of it KP Kentucky Professional.
Speaker 3: No, let's try get all right, what's the name of the award?
Speaker 2: Kentucky Chamber dot Com slash.
Speaker 3: That's not the award. What is the name of the award?
Speaker 2: A young professional?
Speaker 3: All right, so ky chamber dot com slash.
Speaker 2: Y p Award.
Speaker 5: There you go, we got them there dot com. And you don't just have to be Ryan. If you know a young professional under forty forty, you can nominate him at ky chamber dot com slash yp Award.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 3: No, you're not.
Speaker 2: I will for Mario?
Speaker 3: You will? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why not? Okay, getting gonna get it. If he wins, then we'd all take part in it. We'd all brag on him.
Speaker 3: Yes, and you could be the one that you could be the one they introduced.
Speaker 2: I said, I am gonna I'm gonna nominate him.
Speaker 6: What's the address again?
Speaker 4: He's all right for.
Speaker 2: Ducky Chamber dot com, ky chamber dot com slash yp Award.
Speaker 3: There you go. Who's next?
Speaker 4: Shit lines are open? Oh yeah, we already talked about.
Speaker 3: I was gonna send somebody.
Speaker 5: Uh all right, so I'm a little more excited about the uh the basketball?
Speaker 2: Now are you more excited?
Speaker 3: Drew?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're mister negative. On the way back, he was like his team, I said, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 6: I don't want to make just sound like a hater. No, it's fun, but that didn't change my like outlook for the season or anything. And again, I don't want people think I think we're gonna stink. I think we're gonna be good. But good hadn't been good enough lately. I want to be great again. So I mean, there was fun. I didn't I'm not gonna I'm not gonna pretend like I just saw greatness walking around, but that was really cool. I don't want to downplay it with my overall thoughts on what's ahead.
Speaker 2: The only guy that we saw Pope kind of get onto was Enjy. I got him that one.
Speaker 5: He's long, though, I have no idea what to make him pretty. But he's very long, you could tell. I don't know, though. I don't know what to make of him yet either. He seems like he kind.
Speaker 2: Of he wears number nineteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's throwing nineteen?
Speaker 2: That's just kind of a weird number to have for a basketball player.
Speaker 5: Have we ever had a nineteen? That's got to be a no, because you couldn't have the have to be a one through five.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, what's throwing nineteen?
Speaker 2: I just don't know anybody, any basketball player that ever had.
Speaker 5: Let's look, I bet you there are some great basketball players that I actually have the list of nineteens that Kentucky Okay, Forrest Sale, Oh he's good. Yeah, Walter White, No, Waller White, Walter White, he sold drugs on breaking Bad.
Speaker 6: Uh. Jim Weber, Jack Tingle, Jack Parkinson, Walter Hirst, George Cook, and Willie Rowse. Fun fact, two different players from Lawrenceburg who attended Kevinall both wore number nineteen in history.
Speaker 3: Here's who wore in the NBA. Willis Reed.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good one.
Speaker 5: Heyd Turkulou, Okay, remember him? I can't remember who you played for? Sam Cassel, Yeah, from Florida State. Don Nelson, Boston Celtics.
Speaker 3: There you go. So that's a good group.
Speaker 2: There you go. Now in Ji and now in jih number nineteen. Nobody's warning a Ukses the nineteen thirties.
Speaker 3: Good, now he's got an open path to be good. So there you go. And Bob Coosey.
Speaker 2: Bob Coosey were number nineteen maybe at Holy Cross.
Speaker 5: Maybe once says he wore it for the Cincinnati Royals, but he was known for the Celtics. Yeah right, so maybe that wasn't all right? Draft Kings the Reds gop for sweep tonight or today here in forty minutes afternoon game against the A's, I think I don't know who's pitching, but friends win this game. By the way, they're only one game under five hundred, which is amazing considering how terrible that's.
Speaker 2: Oh, they didn't make all the big trades they're making out wild card rude.
Speaker 3: Do they get to win?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: I will say they get it done. They're gonna turn things around and get you excited again.
Speaker 3: They're not gonna get me excited. Abbot's pitching, By the way, Abbot's pitching, so sure. Well it's an afternoon though.
Speaker 5: I think our record this year is like oh to nine on Thursday afternoon games.
Speaker 6: Oh, he's pitching against a guy who doesn't have a picture on ESPN dot com.
Speaker 3: Oh that's good.
Speaker 2: So you're saying they're due, they're due to win one a Thursday afternoon I don't.
Speaker 5: I honestly don't think they've won a Thursday afternoon game all year. I think there's literally like oh and nine. So I'm gonna take the A's. Unfortunately, uh, tomorrow, we'll be back. Thank you to everybody who participated today. We will see you later. I'm at three o'clock on ESPN. If you're feeling it, this is KSI