Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hull.
Speaker 2: That for me, I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 3: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for a day?
Speaker 2: Edo State is that?
Speaker 1: Whoo whoo?
Speaker 4: And Dan and Tye Jennery see welcome back to the show, My good friend.
Speaker 3: How are you today? Hey, feeling pretty good.
Speaker 2: It was a rough start, but I'm feeling pretty decent right now, especially given what we're doing today. I'm very excited for this show. I'm very excited for this guest. But yeah, a lot of sun, a lot of activity this weekend, a lot of sports, and so you know, I'm not in my mid thirties anymore, as you know, once again, late thirties, early forties, So you know, I really have to pace myself, get my sleep, get my fluids. So I'm there, ty I am. I'm feeling pretty good. Well.
Speaker 4: Our guest of honor today is one Richard Johnson, our good friend from CBS Sports from split z Own duo Dan used to work. He used to do a show with Richard I did back in the day. So we go way back with Richard, one of our favorite friends in the entire college football industry. Complex media universe, whatever you want to call it, or pleased to have him back on the show.
Speaker 3: This is a concept you came up with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, things that we talk too much about, things that we don't talk enough about, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, basically, And I include ourselves in this. I include anywhere I am looking for college football, conversation, information, discourse, whatever that. A lot of this is obviously driven by engagement and what people respond to and what people have opinions about and what people can argue about. But this is a tapestry of a sport. We can go in a number of interesting directions, and hopefully we try our best to do so.
Speaker 1: Tapestry.
Speaker 2: But yeah, this is whether it's a team, a specific team, whether it's a specific player, a topic, a line of thinking, a way that a sport operates in a certain area. I think we should knowledge what collectively we spend too much time on and what we don't spend enough time on. I know you have a sound, right ty, I do have a yes too much. So as we head into it's almost previous season here, we're going to do our best to follow our own guidelines, and I think we should spend some time examining. I'm excited.
Speaker 4: Not just looking out, we're but looking inward. Exactly right, little introspection here goes a long way.
Speaker 2: Hit follow, hit subscribe.
Speaker 4: If you are new here, we would greatly appreciate having you with us. We will kick up our previous season once we get to next month. Before we do, though, we've got the show today with Richard. We've got the show coming a little bit later this week. We are bringing Sark Tank out of retirement. Actually I guess not officially retired, but we just know. We do it once a year with our friend Andy Staples from on three from Yahoo Sports in the show that he's the shows that he does with our friends.
Speaker 3: Llinger and Ari Wasserman. And Andy's all over the.
Speaker 4: Place, so he'll be back Godfree yep, giving us his yep, Godfrey doing his investment advice with us on our Sark Tank episode that will be to follow.
Speaker 2: He's our lone Sark on this episode.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, I generally the way we.
Speaker 4: Do it is I pose the concept, uh huh, and then you and Andy discuss whether or not you want to invest.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I'm a fellow Sark.
Speaker 4: You're a fellow Sark. I play the affable host. I am doing the pitching, and then you guys react to it.
Speaker 2: You are the twenty seven year old pitching weird rubber socks to put on your toes to help your posture. Right, I'm the one coming out with the costume on, yes, doing sort of the little pun thing that they do to the appetite. Dun dunh. And we have the sounds.
Speaker 3: I do the sounds.
Speaker 2: So anyway that is to follow.
Speaker 4: We've got a lot of fun in store for you here throughout the month of June before we get into our previous season. So if you like what you've heard so far or along the way of this interview, follow subscribe rate review.
Speaker 1: You know the.
Speaker 2: Drill sidebar, I absolutely would wear rubber socks to help my posture. As I get older, I'll take whatever I can get. Tie posture is important. I'm hunch over computer too often. I try to stand in the standing desk option. But to any potential inventors out there, soliverbal at gmail dot com to help me improve my posture.
Speaker 3: You're only as comfortable as your feet.
Speaker 2: And with that, we are pumped, excited, thrilled to have on Richard Johnson, CBS Sports Split Zone duo check out their substack correct.
Speaker 1: Yes, substack splits on duo dot com YouTube channel splits on duo at college Football podcast. We're all over the place.
Speaker 2: There it is. Yeah, Richard is now at this point and is what mid twenties, well seasoned twenties. Richard has been around for a minute. And Richard and I worked together. We watched a ton of games in Brooklyn together. We are now in living in different places, but we celebrate and cherish all things Richard Johnson and we are today going to do an exercise in sort of what we and that's hard to define, but what we are speaking about, perhaps too much as a collective college football conversation have and perhaps not enough. Ty does that sound right? Is that it does?
Speaker 3: And I actually I have a sound for this Dan.
Speaker 1: Too much? How okay? So Tye? As ty I know, is our is our audio file? Here?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: What's the bar for how much of that audio you were going to play?
Speaker 2: Unclear?
Speaker 1: We don't want to get got We don't want to get got here it is.
Speaker 4: It is unclear, and I prefer we not talk about it at all.
Speaker 2: I think we can use it. Incidentally, we try This is peeling back the curtain and the kimono a little bit. We try to find the almost like isolated vocals track, yes, because that's a little bit cleaner both for the listener and I don't think it will get the attention of the digital ears in the same way.
Speaker 4: Right. And also I believe if we frame it such that we are critiquing the song.
Speaker 1: Right, I think it's tremendous key register. Yes, the acoustics to my ear sound very good.
Speaker 4: If we frame it such that we're critiquing the song at least every so often, I think we're good. I think that's the way this works. So Dan, what is it exactly we're doing here on this today?
Speaker 2: So I think we are just going to present topics to each other and to Richard, and I mean, obviously it's a vague descriptor talking too much. We talk too much. Obviously, our job is to figure out what to talk and not talk about. But like I think these are we're going to go through some general college football topics. We can dip into teams as well if we'd like to that. Okay, we're spending too much digital audio inc. Talking about blank when really we should be talking more about blank. And these are this is highly opinionated answers, but we're going to try to defend our positions. Richard can come down on a side. I mean, it's not this is not like you and I arguing that you know one or the other, but like, we're just sort of introducing discourse about the discourse.
Speaker 3: TI discourse about the discourse. Right, where do you want to go first?
Speaker 2: Yeah? All right, I have down here on my list. We speak too much about playoff format one hundred agree.
Speaker 1: I mean it is. It is the only major sport of its size scale approximately that does this, which is not just every now and obviously the NFL playoff expanded the other day, Baseball expands every two three years. It feels like whatever, it's every year. It's every single year. And look guilty, all right, sports former sports illustrated journalist, CBS sports journalist, got it guilty. It's dumb, it's like and it's dumb from a coverage standpoint, it's dumb. From an administrative standpoint, it is silly. Nobody asked for twelve or twenty four. I actually think twelve is fine. I've always thought twelve is fine. I think maybe you stretch to fourteen with two buys two teams with buys, and I can like live with it sixteen twenty twenty four, forty eight thirty two, what like ridiculous.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is and I agree with everything you've said. What I'm saying is I think us even talking about or we even talk I don't know. Uh, the conversation about playoff format is kind of futile. Like whatever is gonna happen is gonna happen. It doesn't matter if literally every single human feel one way. It's whatever the SEC and Big ten can kind of agree on together we have We can't call our local congress person, we can't write letters, we can't demonstrate in the streets and affect change. Well, I will.
Speaker 1: Say this, if you did demonstrate in the streets, I do think change could possibly be fact.
Speaker 3: I think they would cower, they would fold like a chief seat exactly.
Speaker 1: This is my thing. The American sports fan is not about it bout enough. There was a super League proposal in European soccer that would have benefited the Manchester Uniteds of the world. If you're not a soccer fan, the club soccer teams that you can name, those teams would have been in such a super league, and the teams of many of those clubs marched in the street to their effective financial detriment, if you really want to call it that, like marched in the streets, we are not bout about it, sending our little tweets and making our little videos exactly saying that we don't like whatever format. Greg Sanki and Tony Petiti, you're about to jam down our throats.
Speaker 2: So we have to gather people to go to Rosemont, Illinois and March and Birmingham. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So here's my theory. And maybe this is just like a Galaxy brain take on this.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I agree with everything you guys are saying. Obviously I agree, And to your point, Richard, you know, I'm fine with twelve. I'd be as fine. I'd be fine up to as many as sixteen. But that's sort of the hard cutoff for me. How much of the playoff discourse do you think is driven by the fact that it comes up every year in March, April and May, when effectively nothing else is really going on in college football. It's not like this in say the NFL, where they've got a constant twenty four to seven three sixty five news cycle each month as a new thing. But college there is this huge, gaping void of content, and that's when this seems to sort of come up every year.
Speaker 1: Ty Well, I'm about to speak against my own interest, in our own interest. College football is not a twelve months sport.
Speaker 3: No, the NFL.
Speaker 1: I don't think the NFL actually is, but they get way closer because everything about the NFL's offseason points back to the football. The draft is football, free agency is football, even and boy do I hate this, even the schedule release, which I hate with the white hot fire of a thousand suns as a concept that points back to the football. Everything about college football is offseason once, especially with spring portal. Once we get done with the portal, I mean, if you're into spring football, hey, I'm not gonna yuck yulms. Outside of spring football, we don't have anything from February until August. That's actual football. That's our issue. And so we've got governance. Boy howdy, we've got mister Sankee and company go into Washington, which is another thing that I'm sure we talk too much about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just feel like if they maybe gave us one of those photo ops like the NFL head coaches get when they all get together in Hawaii or wherever it is, and Andy Reid's wearing the Hawaiian shirt.
Speaker 2: You know, well, we get the like Destin, we get like the SEC coaches wearing breathable fabrics on the on THEA fine, we do get that stuff. We do get that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if we had more of those, maybe it'd be easier to feel better about some of this off season discourse. But as such, I agree with you guys, it's it's a little bit.
Speaker 2: Much, all right, So let's let's go positive. Sort of not enough on the flip side. I don't think we talk about even still the corporate TV network influence you know, vis A VI, you know, Fox and Disney or News Corp and Disney, and even talking about like the I don't think we do. I think we talk about like, oh, it's what the SEC wants, it's what you know, the Big ten wants. I don't think we collectively realize that this is really an ESPN, Disney and Fox conversation about like expanding the playoff for inventory and the the behind the scenes tension we have between these two conferences, because this is not just a competitive competition anymore on the field. This is a corporate competition, Richard.
Speaker 3: Could he frame this up as a positive?
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying or not talk about it enough that this is like the central warring, behind the scenes thing with this sport. Okay, And I touched on this, and I got a lot of push back when the Alabama was selected for the College Football Playoff when I said, basically, anybody talking about college football on ESPN? What was the word I used.
Speaker 3: Ty is uh compromise? Chris christ love that he loved that video.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did get some We did get some messages from ESPN people saying like, say, tell me what I've said that's not accurate or something.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I just think, and I've said this before, and this goes for Fox people too, like you can't talk about the sport and the structure of the sport in any sort of meaningfully unbiased way because you are hosting the sports, your your your bosses are paying for the rights to broadcast the sport, and so are How am I going to believe an ESPN person saying like an SEC team absolutely belongs in the playoff in the same way that how am I supposed to believe a Fox person saying like, oh, well you have to put don't. I don't buy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think you get Like, look, first of all, as person who works for a television network, Like if I would have told you a Big ten team belonged in the you know whatever, pick sixth Big ten team to get the playoff last year ahead of Alabama, Like I'm not having conversations with the Big bosses on fifty seventh Street about right, you know about that?
Speaker 2: Like that's not but but I think the CBS NB SEE employee conversation is different, all due respect because you're not as heavily invested as a company.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sure, Now what I will tell you, and which is just interesting, Yeah, is that I asked ACC Commissioner Jim Phillips in May, what is ESPN's position about a more than fourteen team playoff? And he was like, they don't want it. Yeah, he said it, literally said it. We're in a press conference. They do not want it. Fox, who was obviously in lead with the Big Ten as his CBS as his NBAC from a contractual rights agreement standpoint, Fox is the one that's jamming the twenty fourteen playoff or that's trying to jam the twenty fourteen playoff down overy's neck here. Obviously, if the playoff goes past I think it's fourteen teams, it has to go out forbid. ESPN would own it if it went to fourteen I think, or sixteen, but checking on that, if it goes higher than that, it has to go out for bid on the open market, in which case the price goes up. Which is the point because if the price goes up, basically the problem is we've got to bridge the gap. And when I say we, I mean the conferences have to bridge the gap between the revenue that they are going to lose because they're going to get rid of conference championship games. Right, that's two hundred fifty million dollars. You've got to find the way to bridge that gap with whatever the early rounds are going to net of the expanded college football Playoff. That is the that's the bugglep it right now. TI.
Speaker 2: Do you agree? Do you think we speak about it enough that this is a TV sport?
Speaker 4: I think you and I have spoken a lot about it. Yeah, I think we have talked a great deal about it. You referenced it at the top here, when you introduce this question, so I think to that end, Yeah, I mean, at least on this show, we have definitely gone in on that angle of it that it's there's a little bit more than meets the eye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say this though, guys, I think that I think that what is much more, what is a much clearer conflict of interest or whatever? Is like Nick Saban talking about Lane Kiffen right, yes of cour during November. That to me is the much clearer like line that like, not only did Lane Kiffen consultan Nick Saban personally, but as we know in NIX, Saban and Lane Kiffin showed the same agent YadA YadA, YadA like that to me is the much more like what are we doing here versus the playoff thing, which I'm like, ESPN's got a studio show. They have to talk about the sport like it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would like to know, by the way, on that note, I would like to have more conversations about who is in business with whom, like who's sharing an agent?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I want to know more about connective tissue. Not because I want to sort of form conspiracies out of thin air. I just like to know, right, I would just like to know the business connections behind the scenes in this sports as much as I can.
Speaker 4: I feel like you and I have talked a lot about it. I also feel like I've seen a lot of discussion about it, and most of it has been in a negative connotation. It's never This is never the kind of conversation that people are going to feel great about, because what you're talking about is the business underpinnings of college football, and nobody gives a rip about that.
Speaker 3: People just want to talk about the football.
Speaker 4: So I don't think I fully agree with you that we don't talk about it enough. I feel like I've seen a lot of it out there, and I know we have obviously addressed it.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: Can I switch gears and give one of my own for Richard?
Speaker 1: I will say point to Tie on that one, though I will be in league with Tie on that one.
Speaker 3: Okay, Richard, I don't want to make this a political discussion.
Speaker 1: Oh boy as we always love, all right, We always love when that one.
Speaker 2: We always on city council. What are we talking about? We have that disclaimer?
Speaker 1: Game three NBA Finals Statedate, I can't even go down by MSG right now because your man is deciding to show up for Game three, and so they've shut off thirty first, thirty second, thirty third Street.
Speaker 4: Do you have any predictions for the uh, not not for that, but for the actual game.
Speaker 3: Is it gonna be a sweep?
Speaker 1: They're up? I actually I actually want them to. I want them to sweep or win in six or seven because I'm not gonna be here for Game five, Okay, and I want so. I just need the series to not end in five is basically what I what I need.
Speaker 4: I think we talk too much about the government's ability or perceived ability to fix the quote unquote problem with college sports.
Speaker 3: Agree or disagree?
Speaker 1: Yeah, whole heart I mean wholeheartedly agree. It's guys, if they don't have this bill signed, sealed, and delivered by the August recess. Basically when Congress says we're good for like a month or so, this thing is not passing because they're not going to pass this during the fall and then have frankly, the Republicans, Trump and the Republicans say we saved college sports while they're trying to win seats on both sides of the legislature in midterm elections. So you better get the job done now or I don't know if we're going to get it done until next year. It's football term. It's their helm, Mary right, their hair, Mary is. Congress is Congress help us? Congress save us because we've got one hundred and fifty odd years of built up, pent up problems that nobody's wanted to solve piecemeal. So we're all trying to solve it basically wholesale after the fact.
Speaker 2: Does this even solve it?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 3: Is my question? Like that's I think something.
Speaker 1: It is something.
Speaker 2: It is something.
Speaker 1: It is something. Yeah, I don't know that it solves it, but it is something.
Speaker 2: It also and people who are smarter about the way people vote and the way things do or don't move through Congress, they've put this at such a small percentage of ever passing anyway, And we are talking about this so much without there being a clear way that this can actually pass, Like I don't know. Everything I've read about it says just the way that people vote and the way that people prioritize how they want Congress to oversee various aspects of American life, it does not seem like it has any chance of actually passing anytime soon. As written.
Speaker 1: I do think this is also I also think this strikes me as something that if I were a I don't know, hypothetically billionaire who basically is trying to buy my team into the college well basically did buy my team in the college football PLAYFF, which, by the way, that's not negative. That's the game. Congratulations comes your money. If I was that person, and I was leading a very public charge to save college sports, I would use this as a bonafide, whether it passes or not, I would use this as a bonafide for my political future, whether that's running, whether that's continuing to be a kingmaker in the state of Texas or a Republican party. I would use this as a staking point for my reputation moving forward, because at least I tried to do something. But again, that's a hypothetical billionaire conversation.
Speaker 3: All right, let's switch gears here.
Speaker 4: Not enough, this is more of a question for you, Richard, because I actually, in a very very weird way.
Speaker 3: Feel like I could cut this one both ways.
Speaker 4: The broad topic of conversation here is arch Manning, and I bring up arch Manning. Here's why I bring this up. At the start of last year, everybody talked way too much about arch Manning, and arch Manning sort of at least initially fell short of ridiculous expectations. Also, fair Right got his head bonked, came back end of the year, finished the year really strong.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: Now going into the year, obviously Texas has gone out, They've spent money. Texas is going to be one of the eight to ten teams we talk about as a real contender, not just in their conference, but also I would say within the framework.
Speaker 3: Of the college football Playoff.
Speaker 4: I don't feel like, for whatever reason, in the run up to this season, I have heard as much this year about arch Manning as I did last year. And so I put the question to you, where are we at in terms of how much people are talking about arch Manning? Should we be talking about him more? Are you still picking up signals that we're talking about him too much? Where you add on this spectrum of arch Manning discussion?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually I actually agree with you. And it's been like me and Alex have kind of choked about it on our show that like, if I have to be the person that buys low on arch Manning, so be it.
Speaker 4: Like it's I have fully swung in the other direction in like kind of like a weird way.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I actually would tend to agree with you. I and I tend to agree with you because when you talk to people about arch Manning, you can tell basically who had one opinion or the other that's right, and then and then calcified their opinion after the Ohio State game and did not come back to it at all. Right, Like, first of all, first start ever against that defense, which certainly we didn't know at the time was as great as it ended up being. Obviously it's Ohio State going to be good, but it's Matt Patricia for God's sakes, Like how good could they really be relative to Sure? Okay, all right, approximate best defense in the country in his first.
Speaker 3: Start on the road.
Speaker 1: I feel nuts when I tell people that, like the throw he had to Jack injuries in the fourth quarter, or the touchdown he had to Livingstone in that game, as good as you want. And that was the first game. So yes, if you want to tell me that he that the first half of the season he did not meet expectations, sure, we've got to talk about the fact that he had like me and you at left guard like you've got to you've got to couch those You've got to give the context around the situation. Maybe he did not, maybe he was not the Sun, Moon and Stars in the first half the season, But you can't watch the back half of that season and tell me that that's not right about what you want from the guy. Now. I also think they are gonna light on offense at least. I think they are gonna light the sport on fire this year. I think they are gonna score a ton of points. I think cam Coleman is gonna make a ton of money based on what his connection will be with Arch Manning, and I think you're gonna see it. I'm still as in and if I have to buy low on him, I'll be that guy.
Speaker 2: I think there is uh, there's probably too much conversation around Arch that is too general, that is too much like, oh, I thought he was supposed to be this and that with that, and not having enough conversation about the context of Texas's offense last year. Now, maybe that's a product of like, Okay, there's just not as many people writing and doing video about college football at major places that are assigning somebody like okay, watch every single one of arch Manning snaps and chart. Okay, what am I putting on sark Dan?
Speaker 1: People don't know ball, you can say it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not just that people don't know ball. It's just that it's much easier to reduce arch Manning to this throw against Ohio State or this interception against Florida. And it really has seemingly fallen on like the NFL draft industrial complex to like go through a lot of his throws and say, look at these drops from his receivers on tough throws where he's had messy pockets, and just to go through the context. I'm positive Texas writers and bloggers have done a pretty thorough job of this.
Speaker 1: People also also, people really want to dislike him because of his last name, and like I like, obviously I was not old enough for like Peyton and Eli, that whole industrial complex, right, But like when I sit back and like you like look at the Mannings, like what more do you want? Like they there's like there's no overhype of either Peyton and Eli, Like sure you could pick knits with Eli, but like, all right, man, two super Bowls, Like I don't I wouldn't Votehi for the Hall of Fame, but like he's probably gonna get in. Sorry, that's kind of how it works.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then Peyton's like approximately the best quarterback ever. So you can't tell me that the guy's sons didn't live up to any reasonable or even not so reasonable expectation you could possibly have had for him. All right, Right, so now it's his grandson, Archie's grandson. It he seems like he stays out of trouble. I understand that totally is crossed. He's not like on social media doing this that and the third It doesn't sound like he like extorted these schools for revshare and I owe money, like he certainly could have during his recruiting process. I'm Texas is paying him, and he got plenty of third party But like, when I look at arch I'm sort of like, I don't really more what you more?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: What more you could reasonably expect from a young man who is like who he is, doing what he's doing. Sure, you wanted to play better, and I think he will this season, but like he's kind of what you want to this point. And sure, as he gets more exposed during the draft process, maybe I may eat those words, But like the way I look at it now is he's twenty one, probably twenty two, Like I don't know, Like this is pretty much this is pretty much it. Like he didn't transfer, he stayed.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, gentlemen, I have breaking news.
Speaker 4: Texas Tech quarterback Brandon Soresby was granted a temporary in junk.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ against.
Speaker 4: The NCAA on Monday and Lubbock County Court. The court ruling allows for him to play the twenty twenty six college football season. Apparently there will be a two game suspension. This is just breaking from our friend Pete Nacos over at On three about twenty minutes ago. So I am doing my best to scan this. I don't know where it goes from here, where the conversation and where the court situation goes from here. But this would obviously be a bit of a one point eighty based on what we have been seeing with regard to Soresby in his case or his to use Richard's term hail Mary to try and get back in the game here and avoid going into the NFL supplemental Draft. So at least that time of recording, and I'm sure there will be many more details to follow, Richard, we may be seeing Brenda Soresby after all, with.
Speaker 2: The honorable judge masked writer now who made this ruling?
Speaker 1: No, no, by the way, Dan, by the way, you know the judge who was the Texas tech.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, use himself?
Speaker 1: Yes, uh yeah, I well it looks like, oh we doing work on this here Monday morning. I haven't read the decision and haven't called anybody about it. I'll do that off the show. But like the NCAA is going to appeal this, this is not over correct for our folks. As we say, it is ten thirty Eastern time on this Monday morning, so by the time you listeners and watchers see this, you'll have more information than we do right now.
Speaker 4: It's hard to believe that we're at a point now with this where apparently we have not talked enough about Britain source feed, because there's.
Speaker 3: Going to be much more to follow.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, by the way, on the last arch point, just before another Texas quarterback came into the fray, there's a weird element to all of this where and Richard touched on this a little bit where he came in and the sort of the narrative around him, aside from like, oh, look he's athletic and he throws a great ball, and look at his family lineage. Whatever is he's different than all these other quarterbacks, right that, Like he's not on social media, he didn't take nil money or rev share money at Texas, Right, So there there was this air of like, yes, he's the golden child, chosen one because of his last name. But also he's not like regular quarterbacks, right, Like there was this like weird godding up how different he was, and so when he struggled in some of those games, you're like, oh, it looks like he's human after all. Right, Ye that a collective we are also to blame for the way that he was perceived, right that he didn't trans Oh he's different in this era of constant change, he's a throwback, right.
Speaker 1: That's what y'all want you, that's what all y'all want. All you'll want to stay and stay for four years and play for the badge and play for the logo. Okay, you got it, and you got it from a guy who frankly doesn't need to do.
Speaker 2: That, right, But also that sets him up for you know, it's building somebody up to tear somebody down. I would love there to be more. So this is in the not enough category. More like the Texas offense was kind of a mess, right, and we had Cole kublick on. He was like, guys just got tackled in open space all the time. The offensive line was not particularly good. There were drops right that he was not put in a position to succeed all of the time. And so it's hard to say, let's extend him some grace when third year starting guy, right, he's number one whatever, and it's much easier to say, like, look at this dirt he dirted a throw against Ohio State than to like point out everything that went into his season. So I don't know. I wish we lived in a world where there was more of that, and it could be you know, synthesized quickly, but alas tied. Do you have another one? You want me to go to another?
Speaker 3: I have more, but europ you go, okay.
Speaker 2: I guess this is an easy transition with the Brendan Sorosby stuff. Too much gambling just in general, like it's not great, Like I don't need to see another commercial with John Hamm or Kevin hart. I just don't like that makes me feel weird, Like these highly produced what take your pick casino it feels kind of icky. I don't have a problem with people wagering on sports, let's be clear. I think that is a fun way to responsibly include some sort of outside thing with your sports fandom. I think it's fine. I think like the weird prop bet stuff and like the pervasive nature of broadcast networks trying to work it in. And it's not even just college football, it's NFL. I would just watch the French Open and they were just like going through like, oh well, these are like the cal she odds for the second set, and you're just like, guys, what, I know, these things are expensive and you don't have to find sponsor dollars and stuff, but like at a certain point you are just you're jamming in. This isn't like doing like the Pontiac game changing moment and all. That feels a little bit more organic, right you throw in uh, something like the I don't even know if Pontiac still exists as a company, but there is something a lib that has gone too far with and I'm sure you see it when you watch golf majors. I'm sure you see it when you watch any sport you're watching. But like the Brendan Sorosby stuff, I think for me has really highlighted when they talk about the depths of him, like wagering on strikes and balls, You're just like, oh god, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, man.
Speaker 2: That's how I feel every time I see John Hamm not as Don Draper on my TV.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, it's a treatise on capitalism, baby, it is totally is. It's the world you live in. It's it's the society you live in. Like there's unles you're gonna borrowm or Banham, which you're not. And you and when I say you, I mean leagues, networks whatever, they're gonna take the money. And the operators themselves, the DraftKings, the fandels, what have you. They are the thing that I like a lot of people don't. I think people intuitively realize this but don't actually realize this. It's really it is hard for these operators to gain more of a foothold than they already have in whatever state they're in. That is really difficult because if you think about it, if you're a person who wagers you don't switch apps. I mean, maybe you're a shark looking for the best odds, but ninety eight and a half percent of you don't do that. You just throw twenty dollars on whatever. And so because of that, you are brand loyal in a way you don't realize. And so because of that, the promo stuff and the one upness and the prep and the props, and you know, I'm sure sure people realize this and don't really care. But like same game parlay is like those odds aren't real. They're just making it up. Like regular parlays aren't awesome, but the same game parlays like actually shouldn't exist in my opinion, because they're just not They're not real it odds. So do I agree with you that it's too much? Yeah? Do I really think it ever changes? Probably not. I mean I think this thing is a it's a feature at this point in time, not.
Speaker 3: A bug totally.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm just talking about the user experience of watching content. And look, we have done content around it, we likely will again. But it's more just like, hey tis bad at gambling, and here are his picks, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna put in our game this.
Speaker 4: Year, we're gonna put a badge on any game that I picked so people know to go.
Speaker 1: The other way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what we're gonna That's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 5: I mean to your generational run, generational run general. I, by the way, I'm totally good with viewing the sport through like, okay, this is the three and a half point spread, or these are the win totals, and using it as a device to talk about how.
Speaker 2: We view a game or a season or something like that. I think that's interesting. But I'm more talking about you know, Jim Currier on the set at the French Open, or you know, Chris Fawler trying to force it in, or Rhys Davis or Joel Klatt or something that I was just like, guys, just I'd much rather hear about Arch's left guard than forcing this.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think the issue that I have with it, I mean, because we've seen this come of age. Right in the span of time that we've done this show, there was this moment I don't remember how many years ago it was, guys, it was a couple of years ago when suddenly it was very in vogue and this was the thing and I remember watching the opening week of the NFL and it was literally every commercial you.
Speaker 1: Remember, and that was when I remember. That was when DraftKings was not really gambling, but it was just the daily fantasy.
Speaker 3: It was just but but all of a sudden.
Speaker 1: I remember that.
Speaker 4: I remember that, and it was like, holy crap, what is going on here? They clearly have funded this so much that we have to eat it, And that feeling of being force fed this as a new reality to me was very uncomfortable. And I'm with you, like Dan, I've been a proponent of it for a while, like, dude, spend your money however you want to spend your money.
Speaker 3: I'm you know.
Speaker 4: We will continue making content around it to some extent. We've always found that betting lines are at least a useful data point to help convey and communicate just how to teams compare to one another. And I think, yeah, absolutely, And I think a lot of our listening and doing audience is there with us. But certainly now as it has found its way into other ways, broadcasts, the way that games are covered, things of that nature, it's one thing to use it, I think as a tool to help convey which team is better. It's another thing to use it as a rather innocuous, hopefully source of entertainment. It's another thing to just have it be front stage center where you can't avoid it. And so to that end, Dan yea, I would agree with you.
Speaker 2: By the way, uh shout out YouTube TV four K option that doesn't show.
Speaker 3: Commercial Hell yeah, hell yeah.
Speaker 2: If you watch on YouTube TV, yeah you want to never I don't buy the so well, you're essentially paying to watch it ad free because if you if you click on that four K stream on I think it's both the ESPN and Fox. This is the case, right, I believe they just show a wide shot of the stadium lack commercial, so you can see the like TV ref who has the orange RM band and everything. You just see that and that's why I think I forget which game it was. Was it you could see people making out in the stands during commercial because of the four K stream that there were just it was just a wide crowd and field shot. So that is an option for people. If you happen to pay for it, you would know that you are not watching. You know, Jamie Fox, all due respect a huge talent, you know, extol the virtues of whatever casino.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does seem like I will be.
Speaker 2: You can find those extra five to eight ten dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a business sixpence you guys are doing for you. It's a business expence. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Should I do it? Not enough to go ahead to sort of balance out the universe? Yeah, how about this one. I think this is something we can all agree on. Well, most of us can agree on fun acc Thursdays. What happened to fun acc Thursdays?
Speaker 1: What happened is you got the shield on Thursday nights.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, and it's it's a bummer. And the NFL eats everything but Lane Stadium on a Thursday night, or Louisville, n C State or Florida State, Boston College if Boston College is pretty good. Like, I don't know, that was so fun. And this is just me like old man yelling at clouding this whole thing. But I like having it. There's a little bit of a Friday night thing with Fox. Now you get some like pretty decent games, especially out on the West Coast. But I like Friday night Thursday nights. I'm around, I'm doing bedtime, you know, I'm doing whatever I can to live my life and to be able to come down stairs at eight pm, eight thirty four pm and just catch Louisville and North Carolina who are both five and two in the score is seventeen fourteen and they're going back and forth. I want to figure out how to get that back in my life because I would pay more attention to the ACC, especially living on the West Coast when I did, than I otherwise would have, because I got to watch basically uninterrupted views of a conference, just like we can with the MAC on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, And there was something cool about quality Thursday night college football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Alex and Godfrey do the same thing our much like I I'm sure I am not nacessy. I do not necessarily bemone college football seating Thursday night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I don't know. I I just am who I am. I'm in my what late thirties, early forties tie and these are the things that I don't feel.
Speaker 4: Like that would be totally cool with nobody playing weekday games.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, I am. I am more of the traditionalist and like like tis.
Speaker 4: Like just because you brought up the NFL, did I see? I think it's the Seahawks are opening the season on a Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's because it's because the the Friday game is the is in Australia. Okay, So they want those teams to get back with enough time to reset their body clocks because they're going to lose the day and everything like that coming back. So they're kicking the original Thursday opener to Wednesday. Yes, which has happened before. By the way, people don't realize it's happened. Happened. It happened. It was like a I think it was like a Democratic National Convention week or something, and they the convention was on Thursday, and so the NFL moved an opener to Wednesday. It has happened before.
Speaker 4: But my point here, the reason I bring this up this is when the NFL sort of lost me, when I stop being able to keep track of when all the games were you know, used to be. And this is I think part of my football so popular. It's a once a week there, once a week thing. You only got so many of them. It's a Sunday, it's you know, sacred for a multitude of reasons, especially if you're an NFL fan. That's when the games are played. You can build your whole week around it. It's something to look forward to on the weekends. Then we move on with our work week and we do it all over again seven days from now. But now I can't even keep track.
Speaker 1: You know, do you know the one that's going to kill the Thanksgiving Eve gameh yeah? Oh yeah, no, no, thank you.
Speaker 4: So it's just it's too much for me. And so I would say, listen, I love myself a good matching game. If there is a good game on on a Thursday night or on a Friday night, clearly I'm going to watch this is you know, this is.
Speaker 2: What we do.
Speaker 4: But I think we talk too much about the weekday games. Personally, I'd be cool with, like, let's just play all on Saturdays. Is the way we used to.
Speaker 2: I have as a another not enough because I want to. I want to steer this to a positive place. I want more West Coast teams playing each other. We get some of it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, Ty, there used to be a league a time before time.
Speaker 2: You might recall, thank you for explaining this to him where they did. Yeah, all play each other. I'm gonna write this day.
Speaker 4: I have a notepatter around here somewhere continue please reach we get.
Speaker 2: Sort of like these one off non conference stuff with I just wish there were conversations behind the scenes to make sure Washington and cal would play more so I can see Marshawn Lynch in the kart right, so I can sort of relive so many great West Coast moments. I wish that there would be like a former PAC twelve membership conference. They probably can't afford taran AA like Fox in the Big Ten, but they can afford some sort of holiday and express in Santa Cruz or something that they all get together and hammer out a bunch of Oregon State, Arizona, Stanford. UCLA's right that, like everybody is going to need non conference matchups. I don't know why. I mean, I know why. You know, we have a bunch of these games scheduled way out in advance. But I want to see a steady stream. Not like Orgon doesn't need to be playing Oklahoma State all the time, Oregon doesn't need to be you know, or not all the time, but a home and home. If we could get the West Coast teams just keeping the money out west in September, I'd be all in on seeing a steady drip of those home and homes announced.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here here considering what we have here with you know, Oregon flying to Wisconsin on October twenty fifth, exactly. Uh yeah, yeah, I'm into that.
Speaker 4: Okay, I've got one place if you want to stick with things that you don't feel are being talked about enough. This is a team that I have discussed with a new coach that I am maybe unrealistically high on this year. And it also is a team that I think our good friend Richard Johnson has a personal connection to. I don't believe people have talked enough about the Florida Gators, and in particular one John Summrall. Agree disagree partially on summer All.
Speaker 1: I think some are all is awesome to be honest with you, Just like as a personality, if.
Speaker 4: I told you that John Summrall six months ago was at a bar and bit the head off a live bird, you would probably believe.
Speaker 1: Me absolutely as someone who has spent I don't want to say significant time with John summerl but spent an amount of time with John Sumrall one on one. Yes, absolutely, there is little to nothing you could tell me in that vein that I would not buy so in on summerw especially in a day and age where coaches are sanitized personality and and all that sort of stuff. Yes.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Regarding the twenty twenty six fighting Florida Gators, though, I would Let's let's relax, let's check back in.
Speaker 3: Okay, tell me why, tell me why?
Speaker 2: Tell me why? Because I think it's a good roster.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're a Florida guy, so you can tell me why.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I think they have they have the best, they might have the best receiver room in the SEC, to be honest, it's good. Uh. And they have one of, if not the best running back rooms, at least running back in the SEC. It's mostly who's going to be blocking for the gants and throwing to the gants. That is a very open question. Now. I do think that Brad White and Buster Faulkner offensive assistant. Faulkner is the offensive coordinator, Brad White the office White coach. Uh, excuse me, Brad White se defensive corner.
Speaker 3: Good lord.
Speaker 1: I do think what Florida has on offense from a coaching standpoint, in the bones of it, at the skill positions what you want. I do think it's going to take a little bit, especially with a quarterback competition that's undecided. I don't know what this offense is going to look like. Is Faulkner going to try to run the Haines King adjacent offense where quarterback was batting battering ram or are they going to try and do something with a that's a little bit more wide open and our Filo and Tremmelle Jones. Are they capable of doing that? Don't know. There were some people who wanted to tell you that Tremail and Jones should have played after DJ had the what was it six interceptions against LSU whenever that was last year, in last September, and it became a parent that Florida wasn't gonna get where it wanted to go. I think on defense, they're gonna be sneaky, really really like a physical tough there. I think they're gonna resemble more of a must shamp Florida, which is both derogatory and potentially complimentary at the same time, than they will anything you've seen from a mullen A or an ap Yer outfit.
Speaker 2: So to be fair to Tie's point, Florida, and I think everything you said is obviously correct. FAU Campbell and Florida State in the non con not terrible. There's not a lot to love about any of those teams in this moment. New coach and quarterback at Auburn, new full time head coach, ole Miss, new quarterback Missou South Carolina. Hopefully it's a better year for the game Cocks this year, but you can see some issues obviously with South Carolina, and that's at home. Texas is gonna be really good, George's gonna be really good, Oklahoma's probably gonna be really good. Kentucky new coaching, quarterback, Vanderbilt new quarterback, possibly true freshman. So I'm just saying.
Speaker 4: Also, also ole Miss coming to town one week after the game to l games with LSU, I mean, oh, it's.
Speaker 2: A great letdown spot for ole Miss and for Florida obviously. So situationally, I'm not saying it's great. I'm just saying it's interesting.
Speaker 1: For the Gators. It is, it will be. But as I like to say on our show, you're an SEC team, your schedule's hard. Yeah, big ten team, your schedules hard. Deal with it. You want Texas and Oklahoma in the league live with it.
Speaker 2: They catch the checks. As far as I can tell. The SEC and Big ten teams who have difficult schedules, they those do clear those. Sure, So that's okay, that's what the money's for. Ty, you have one. You want me to go ahead?
Speaker 3: Europe?
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna say, well, we'll stay on topic here. Too much Big ten, SEC, not enough everyone else? Okay, there. I understand why we talk about the Big ten teams and SEC teams. These are the biggest teams in the sport. However you want to quantify big. I'm just saying, there's an incredible opportunity to be a college football hipster in a way like never before. Right, We've got the weird ass Pac twelve, We've got the Mountain West, We've got the American, We've got the Big Twelve, We've got the ACC. I'm not intentionally lumping in the Big twelve and ACC with other conferences. I'm just saying everyone else there are. You can get a terrific plate from this buffet of tasty food all season long. And I understand again why we're talking about it. The probable national championship for years to come. Is likely coming from one of those two conferences for quite some time, or Notre Dame, I guess if you're gonna sort of Notre Dame obviously fits in that size of program. I'm just saying, you have an opportunity as a college football fan, root for your team and then pay attention to whatever the hell's going on in TCU Houston. Right, there's so much meat on the entire the entirety of the college football carcass that you should explore alt cuts, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I think that what people what people are missing and bemoaning the wackiness, the weirdness, like it is still there, Like it is still there in the ACC which just sent a five lost team to it's conference championship game because it's best team and it's nominal best team lost an extra non conference game but it didn't count because it was or excuse me, lost an extra conference game but it didn't count because it was.
Speaker 2: A non time breaker.
Speaker 1: So yeah, like that wackiness is still in there. It's still inherent. It's been cracked quite a bit, it's been you know, it's it's it's you know, you could say what you want about Cody Campbell I had on this show. But like Texas Yahoo billionaire buys college football playoff team. That's awesome. Like that, that's that's what you want. You know that that like, that's that's that is in a way the soul of the sport that a lot of people feel is lost. It is still but yes, Dan, you do have to go find it.
Speaker 3: Texas Tech.
Speaker 4: Maybe for all the wrong reasons, but Texas Tech has very much been one of the primary stories of the offseason.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Miami had a real shot to win that game against Indiana and the national championship. Miami obviously had a really good year. Miami is reloading yeah this year.
Speaker 2: So sorry, I should say SEC Big ten, Notre Dame. Miami right now is national championship caliber.
Speaker 3: Right, two group.
Speaker 4: Of six teams made the college Football Playoff. We could debate the merits of how they performed once they got there, but I think it's meaningful to your point, Dan, of being a college football hipster in the year of Our Lord twenty twenty six, it's meaningful that they got two teams in. So the rest of the sport is nothing of not interesting. Even on that high level of conversation, with regard to the national sure and how all of these teams fit into the playoff and national championship side of it. But I would contend even a step beyond that. We've got new teams coming into new conferences this year, like the North Dakota State story is going to be really interesting for people who genuinely care about college football. The fact that Sacramento State is apparently a MAC team.
Speaker 3: I don't know how good.
Speaker 4: They're going to be, but there's there's that to your point, Richard, of it's still being kind of weird. The weirdness is abound, and the weirdness is still omnipresent in all of the other college football conferences outside of the Big Ten in the SEC, which by the way, has its own share of weirdness for sure. So I'm with you, like we always try to talk it up on this show that you know there are other conferences. I mean, just because we've got the biggest teams I guess in those two is the reason that we have to spend so much time talking about it.
Speaker 1: But well, Ty, it's because I think it's and this is I think unfair, but it is the way the world. It's now more incumbent and inherent on the viewer to go find it, right, Yeah, like you have to go find I mean they put big twelve games behind the ESPN plus paywall, you know what I'm saying, Like you got to go find that now versus channel surfing and you know, sorry type Penn State's losing to whoever the hell in some weird snowy game and you know, like, what the hell is going on here like that? You know that's on peacock now sometimes you know, like it the weirdness is still there, but you got to go find it. And you know, a lot of treatises on capitalism on this show, but that's treaty. There's another treatise on capitalistm.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's So my sidebar is there is real potential if sax State is a mess, because look, they lost their head coach who decided to now what, Brendan Marion is now the offensive coordinator of Colorado, right right, right, So they lose their head coach, they make a change. Obviously, if sax State does not work out in year one, the city of Sacramento could have the Kings, a bad MAC team and they're in the weird middle holding pattern of the Oakland A's between Oakland and Vegas, all in the same geographical place. Sacramento might have a case as the saddest sports city in America if sax State does not work out in the Max where the King the King, if Macremento doesn't work.
Speaker 1: The Kings were decent last year, but missed the playoffs this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they missed the playoffs this year. They were good with Mike Brown a couple of years ago when it was like Darren Fox and they had traded Tyres Halberton before then. But they made the playoffs. So the first time in like nineteen years, you know, two or three years ago, and played the Warriors and then immediately.
Speaker 1: Did Jack to workouts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, Sacramento does have a weird opportunity here. All right.
Speaker 4: So I have I have two guys here that I am I'm curious to get your opinions on two new coaches. Richard, I know you've done reporting on Kyle whitting him. I'm curious have we talked too much or not enough about whitting him? And secondly, Dan, because I know you and I both have a thing for this guy, I'm curious to get both of your takes on one.
Speaker 3: Robert Edward Chesney out at UCLA.
Speaker 1: In on the ladder tepid optimism about the former I am. I think I cannot wait to watch Bryce Underwood in this offense, given the structure of this offense, given that they are going to run the piss out of the ball with him. What I'm a little concerned about is the throwing aspect of offensive football. I don't know how that's gonna work for Michigan, and I do think maybe they got a little bit better receiver. I like Andrew marsh as a receiver, so I like sort of what they have. But the returns if you, if you talk to some folks up there in arbor about the passing game, is that we're not going to really like what we see. So when Breent vettibles comes to calling in week three, two two, I think, I don't know that that is going to go so well for the boys in Mason Blue. But UCLA, yeah, man, let's do it.
Speaker 2: I'm interested their UCLA is you can you can tell a lot by recruiting, and it's not just who's committing right. They're getting visits, there's energy there. They're they're trying in a way that they really didn't obviously the last couple of years, but certainly under Chip Kelly that they thought they could. They just did a worse version of the Kurt Signetti Indiana thing, And in retrospect, Chip did a pretty good job at UCLA, like without like trying to recruit to the full power of the UCLA brand.
Speaker 1: That pretty well without actively recruiting.
Speaker 2: Like they just I think they just hosted a five star receiver from New Jersey at UCLA, and you know what they should. It's UCLA. It's a big name program and a big conference, and there's big opportunity to play early and they have like a I mean they'll finish with the top fifteen class or something like that, which we haven't been able to say in quite some time about UCLA. I know they're higher than that right now, but there seems to be a good amount of energy at UCLA for the first time in a while, and so I still don't think we're talking enough about it. Like there's just a huge opportunity, given the size of that school and given what they've done in sports in general, for them to make a serious move in this climate of college football where you can get better in two years.
Speaker 4: I think the Chesney thing is very underserved right now, and I'm hoping that this goes as well as it.
Speaker 3: I mean, the vibes are good.
Speaker 4: So if the vibes are any indication as to what's to come for UCLA this year, it will very much be the case three months down the line where you and I are like, yeah, we didn't talk about Bob Chesney and UCLA. The Whittingham thing, to me is just really interesting, and I think it's more a matter of which topic you're choosing to address when you talk about Whittingham, because clearly we talked about him a great deal when he stepped in.
Speaker 3: The timing all aligned.
Speaker 4: They needed somebody who was more of an adult than the previous guy, Right, they get Whittingham, whether he falls off the back of a truck because Utah pushes him out, or maybe just one of the job, whatever the case. We talked about it a fair amount when Whittingham took that job, But now I almost feel like we're not talking about it enough. With respect to the whole Bryce Underwood thing. As he brought up, Richard, what is that.
Speaker 2: Going to look like?
Speaker 4: We know they're going to run with him more. They've already sort of gone on record and saying we're going to use his athleticism as part of the offensive attack. But Whittingham developing a quarterback the likes of a Bryce Underwood, who obviously came in with much acclaim, I don't know if we have a whole Like there's not a lot of body of work for that with respect to what he did out at Utah, and so I'm just curious to see what that's going to look like moving forward. This to me also feels like the kind of thing we're going to get a month into the year and we're going to be like, oh man, we probably should have talked about the ramifications of this higher a little bit more. The counterpoint, I guess would be, Dan, you're a huge beckhead, right of course always, so you know, there could be a nice little like meeting of the minds. They could find a way to unlock Underwood in a way that we haven't seen previously. But I just I'm very curious to see how this goes in the first couple weeks of the season and think back to maybe this conversation put a pin in it, and think maybe in retrospect, maybe we should have addressed it in a more meaningful way in the off season.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of it is going to come down to how they show in that Olklahoma game, like it's it's it's going to be the only game in town pretty much that weekend because the September slight is just oh good, and and you're going to have a lot of I don't there's no way Oklahoma plays anybody week one. If you're playing Texas week or excuse me, if you're playing Michigan week two. So Oklahoma's gonna be able to come into that game having not really shown anything. It's if Michigan goes out there and Venables throws the fastball and they score thirteen points, it's gonna I think it's gonna tank the conversation. But if they go out there and he shows and they play well, okay, then I think you really rocketship take off as far as underwood Stock and Whittingham and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I okay. So when you look at Michigan's schedule this year in terms of what we are or not talking enough about, Yes, they have the Oklahoma game week two, that's September twelfth. They have Iowa a couple of weeks of not obviously excellent defenses. Then they have Indiana and it's at home, Rutgers in Michigan State, Oregon on the road. Whatever UCLA's defense is this year for Ohio State, there are kind of development. I don't want to be insulting to any of those teams, but there's no gauntlet of like incredible defenses that could really smash Michigan's offensive attempts. If they're trying to throw the ball downfield, like you will have some moments to take shots and develop a passing game against this schedule. That's an optimistic way of looking at what their offensive upside is. I think something I don't know. Yeah, Ty, do you have any more? Are we good?
Speaker 4: I'm good on my end? Okay, how do you want to close this out?
Speaker 2: I have confidence scheduling not enough, I have PAC twelve name shaming. I'm okay with the there being this conference of teams, we don't need to call the pass.
Speaker 1: You know what I realized I.
Speaker 4: Was when I was putting together some of our kind of like the skeleton for our previous this year, Dan, Yeah, all eight teams in the PAC twelve have state as a suffix in the team name.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. The Pac twelve shaming that goes under the radar, is there absolutely farcical like brand identity thing. Yes, they released a couple months ago, maybe at this point in time that really went under the radar as a thing that should have been just pilloried to high heaven.
Speaker 2: Yes, agree, But yeah, there's I don't know, I take your like premium, we can take Sports Illustrated right when a premium brand is like, no, we're still in business and it's just gonna look a little bit different and we're going to try to like, uh sell you on this even though it's not nearly as premium. I'm not. I'm just not okay with a five star restaurant starting to sell like dollar cheloupas, Like.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine Sports ill doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course not. I have down here weekly travel grind and scheduling talk I had. I didn't dip into this until like a few years ago. And you mentioned this too with like some NFL scheduling stuff, Like I think we should be talking more about because the co which we'll talk about it. I think we should just be putting more attention in spotlight on the weird play a late night Saturday game on the road, and then have to play a Thursday game next week.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right, Thursday game okay, right, like short week after late night road game.
Speaker 2: Right, there's the weird stuff that you're just like, I'm not saying we should make excuses, but we should just we should show the realities, especially as these teams are, you know, as cal is playing at Wake Forest or something. I will we want to talk about that.
Speaker 1: I will allow you short week.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I will basically not allow any schedule complaining, travel complaining from football teams for anything else. I don't care. It's one game of the week you fly charter, Like, talk to me about your softball team that's flying from Wisconsin to Yeen on a Tuesday in March, Like, that's what I want to hear about. I do not want to hear about football team, but I will grant you yes week.
Speaker 2: Okay, the weird short week stuff, I at least want to acknowledge some weird even flying West coast or East coast. I want to say Clemson is playing like a col game at something like ten or eleven pm Clemson time, like body time. There's something just they're just the weirdness of it all. I'm not saying we should feel bad, but we should acknowledge the weirdness of some of these scheduling decisions and challenges that a lot of these teams are.
Speaker 1: Going to have.
Speaker 2: I think that's kind of it for me, the last one I have here to end on a light note. Not enough bulls doing weird stuff. Guys lean into it like we're going to talk about games where offensive lines are decimated because of transfers. We're going to talk about games where secondaries are gone. You're going to talk about a game that should have featured Notre Dame but they just got a little bit mad.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh Dan, absolutely yeah. Can you believe that Notre Dame famously anytime anywhere? Anything?
Speaker 4: I think that solved your time we have for today. We're gonna run out of time here on this little thing that we Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, play the game, exactly, play the game.
Speaker 2: I know that they were gonna have like forty five opt outs or something like that. Don't care, lay, don't care. And that was one of the fun games.
Speaker 1: Florida State playing got absolutely decimated by Georgia is what it is. Man.
Speaker 2: They showed up. Yes, there is there is something. I'm just saying, just in general bowls, if you are going to be looked down on as a lesser thing compared to the playoff, great, have crazy mascots, have crazy stunts, do weird things with your CEOs who nobody really understands why there's a CEO of the what are the Motor City Bowl or something like that. There should be you should lean into the absurd with these bowl games. We should be dumping more MAO on more people, even if the game sponsor isn't mayonnaise. That should just be a thing. I'm just all for turning this into just lowering stacks of bills in a bird cage onto midfield. Right, do whatever you have to do. I love like the minor leagueization, the you know when the Fresno team is the Tacos for a night. I'm all for all of this. Give me a reason. So that's my last thing that there's just not enough of.
Speaker 4: All righty, why don't we leave it there. His name is Richard Johnson. He does fine work, of course for CBS Sports. Go and check him out Split Zone Duo, a wonderful show he does with our friend Alex Kirshner, and I guess. On on occasion, Stephen Godfrey still pops out.
Speaker 3: Godfrey pops by. Make sure you check him out, Richard, what is it?
Speaker 2: I guess?
Speaker 3: What is your schedule looking like now?
Speaker 4: Over the next however, many weeks and months, as we sort of round the bend into previews season, getting ready for the college football season, there's a lot going on.
Speaker 1: There's going to be a trip to Europe coming up here pretty soon. Last year, obviously we knew this was happening for weeks in advent But last year I was literally on the tarmac about to taxi and take off to go to Barcelona when the house case like got like announced, as like it went through the year before. I was in Portugal when Pat Fitzgerald got fired, Like I remember, I got the alert from whatever, and I was like, damn, that's crazy, super not my problem.
Speaker 4: So what you're saying is you're going to be away and something else is going to happen that we don't know about yet.
Speaker 1: Yes, when I am in Amsterdam at the end of July, something will pop off, clearly.
Speaker 2: So what when you were on the beaches of Portugal, what did Christiano have to say about Pat Fitzgerald and how that was going to affect the Big ten hierarchy.
Speaker 1: That's between me and me and c R seven.
Speaker 2: And mister Ronaldo. Fair enough, Just Richard Johnson hobnobbing with the stars overseas.
Speaker 1: Love over goatto, fellas, take.
Speaker 3: Care all right, there go Richard Johnson, jack him out.
Speaker 4: CBS Sports Split Zone duo does a fabulous job. As I said at the top, one of our best friends in the industry, a really, really good dude. I didn't get a chance to get out and play golf with Richard.
Speaker 2: That's right. You had your yeah, your inter college football golf outing. Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: We didn't last year, and I'm assuming we won't be able to work it in this year either. So we got to make that happen at some point in the very near future.
Speaker 3: I misplaying with Richard.
Speaker 2: Where do you think you stack up in the greater digital college football universe? Like, do you think you would be on the leaderboard if it was a full like thirty two person field. Do you think you mean like finish top ten?
Speaker 4: How they do like a creator classic? Yes for golf influencers and creators, But.
Speaker 2: You're I'm talking Nicole hour Back. I'm talking Bruce Feldman, I'm talking, Oh wow, take your pick around the universe the tapestry once again, that that makes up this sport. Right, You've got Dave Revsen here, You've got Chris Lowe there, you take your pick. Right of all we potentially could.
Speaker 3: Golf, are we including like Joel Klatt in.
Speaker 2: This is he was he like a scratch golfer something.
Speaker 3: I think Klat's like a scratch golfer.
Speaker 2: He has a podcast that does appear online, so he counts as.
Speaker 4: So he's I mean, he's definitely better than me. And I think I saw the canal's pretty good too. Okay, two former quarterbacks, so maybe shouldn't comes a huge surprise that he's.
Speaker 2: Your former second basement good.
Speaker 4: At everything athletic. But I I could hold my own. I don't know how many people were talking here, but if we're talking like twenty twenty five thirty people that are kind of involved in this whole content thing that we do, right, I think I could.
Speaker 3: I could find my way into the top ten.
Speaker 2: I think Bud Elliott's a golfer. Yeah, I don't. I don't know what his handicap ish is. Yeah, I'm just golf is a very popular game, and I think you mentally, I think you would do pretty well. I think there's an even keel to you.
Speaker 4: I know you, well, you have to work on your irons, right, I'm a head case on the golf course. No, I mean, I'm not throwing clubs, but I'm just I'm good for like eight blow up holes throughout the course of like a full golf season, and I just don't know when they're going to happen, but they always ruin around.
Speaker 2: You know what. You know we could do for this. We could get that tourism board from Ireland. Oh he has the game every the aer Lingus Classic.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they want it.
Speaker 2: They're trying to get people out there to cover it, right, so let's get it. Let's get one of the the open link types courses that's in Ireland, and let's get this as a sponsored event.
Speaker 4: What I would want is a two round event. Okay, a two round if there any golf course superintendents out there at like a reasonable course it's easy to get to. I would like a two round event. We could put together a field of like thirty people. Yeah, and uh, I don't know what the prize would be there doesn't need to be a prize. It's pride, not prize, right, But I would play in it, and I I think I could hold my own.
Speaker 3: I don't think I would win it. I think the other guys would win it. They're better. But I could.
Speaker 4: I could finish top ten, maybe top five, if I'm having a good weekend.
Speaker 2: Where is ACC Media Days this year? It looks like it's usually in Charlotte, right, there was a Pinehurst year. I don't know how far way Pinehurst is from Charlotte. Don't think it's terribly far.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know my geography off the top of my head.
Speaker 4: Uh, if someone else to put it together, I'll play in it. I'll find a way there. We'll write that off here. We could get you up to Wisconsin. Didn't they do the Ryder Cup up in Wiscon?
Speaker 3: I did, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just I don't think you can take an ordinary course for something that's important. I think we need to get you at what's the one up there? Whistling Straights, Whistling straits. It's a long course. I think you have it in you.
Speaker 3: I mean I have it in me. I don't know about the others, but.
Speaker 2: Get a shuttle of just absolute internet dork college football people from Chicago up to Wisconsin. I think it's a great idea.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm in if somebody out there wants to organize it.
Speaker 2: I'm in if the powers that be in Kohler are listening. So it's a huge organized Yes, you could have Stumndel on your fringes.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know who, if Stu Golfs or not.
Speaker 3: Thank you to Richard for stopping on by.
Speaker 4: We did get a bit of breaking news throughout the course of this episode about the Brendan Soresby thing, which to me is I mean, it seems like it's madness. It seems like it's madness that they would allow him to play. And that's not because I have anything against Brendon Soarsby, But you got to set a precedent here, You got to set a precedent. They can't do that, and I think it sort of undercuts a lot of the honor and spirit of what the NCAA and we as college football fans are going for with this whole sport. It sounds like they will appeal this in rather short order. They have to do so given the calendar. If they let it go too long, then it's going to be something that Soresby could claim is doing him financial harm by not being able to enter the NFL Supplemental Draft. So there will be a lot more on this, and I think as more details become available, it's clearly something you and I are going to have to unpack further. So, given that this broke while we were recording with Richard, please give us the benefit of digesting it a little bit further before we offer further comment. But at least at first blush, it looks like madness to me.
Speaker 2: So do you know what else can also cause irreparable financial harm? Wagering like crazy on sports all of the time, every waking moment of your life.
Speaker 3: Just seems like a really really it's still a consideration. Yeah, really bad precedent.
Speaker 4: But we need to read the full legal filing before we yeah, before we talk about this at any length. So know that that's to come, Know that sark Tank is to come. If you made it this far, again, thank you for stopping a buy, for downloading, for supporting what we do, hit file, hit subscribe, rate review, You know the drill all the usual stuff applies. We drop a free newsletter every Tuesday morning. Solid verbal dot com slash newsletter is where you can go if you want to sign up for that. Tyler's been doing an awesome job rolling out original content every Tuesday morning. Just quick, digestible, easy to read, and it gives you something that you can take with either the water cooler. We would encourage everybody to sign up for it. Yeah, Ruberstin, that's all I got for today. Same for that guy over there, Dan, for our guest of honor Richard from myself Tie over here in eastern Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: We'll catch you all a little bit later this week. Meantimes, stay solid please
Speaker 1: Mhm