Speaker 1: To on the move gallan jeep steedless past Hell.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 3: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 4: He's joy my hands in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: What is up, Dolphans and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. On today's show, the Commandos are in town. We had a quick practice ahead of a day off, then game time on Saturday, we'll break down the on field action. We'll hear from coach from Toront Armstead, from Raheem Moster and Kendall Fuller who made a game winning pick if you will on Thursday. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast. Coy one and done joint practices to and not really a ton to go in on here as we have some competitive reps in the red zone, some full field move the ball periods, which is where you mark the ball where it's down and continue to drive from their opposed to resetting at the original line scrimmage, and then a two minute period to close practice and let's go ahead and get the overarching I guess result that we want to talk about here on the podcast, because we're not gonna harp on for thirty minutes here the negativity that we saw in the field today. But I'll just go ahead and tell you that the Commanders won the practice. They were the better team on the field today. Does that matter, No, not one iota. Some of you might disagree with that, but they played good and the Dolphins had some ups and downs, but overall, I think the decision does go to the Commanders. Just want to put that on the top of the podcast because I'm not going to sit here and continue to stress out and make you worry about a hobby endeavor. I can't say endeavor your endeavor because I had to go back and redo this an endeavor of yours that is for fun. I don't under stand the process of making you worry about something that is nothing to worry about, and that is how one particular training camp practice might deter or rather reshape your view of this football team. So just want to put it out there. I thought the Dolphins kind of lost the practice. But let's go through this whole thing, starting with the play of the day and the story of how we got there, and begin with what we saw from the Commanders on offense a red hot, red zone period where they kind of like that's kind where they won the day with Jadeen Daniels and the Commander's offense. I didn't see all the touchdowns I saw David Farna said there was five of them. I believe him. I don't think he has any reason to make that up. And David's a pretty solid dude, who doesn't, you know, do the whole engagement farming thing. So I trust him. But sometimes, you know, they stagger snaps and sometimes they happen simultaneously, and it was simultaneous consistently throughout the day, and with the offense operating literally right in front of me, like I was in line with the line of scrimmage and it was on the field closest to me, where the defense was on the opposite goal line on the other field, literally one hundred and fifty yards away. So I saw results on some of the plays, but I have zero process or analysis, which to me, is completely useless. You'll never see me tweeting, you know, Jason Sanders is currently kicking field goals. I won't tweet that. It provides no value, And you don't need to read about that. But what I saw from Jade and Daniels was confidence, commanders a good variety of throws. You know, from my scouting perspective, he has more to do to get that Arizona State taste out of my mouth, if you will. And maybe that's unfair because he progressed into this player that had quite literally a perfect season last year at LSU, a clear runaway Heisman from like early November, he was the guy that was going to win that award. But then to see him today and with Michael Pennox last week, I think sometimes you can just kind of see it. And I'm still worried about the combination of Jaden Daniels's build and play style, but I came away really impressed with this game today. In particular, what he and Pennox both showed me was the rhythm with which they could play in the offense, which for a rookie is typically the difficult part. Now in training camp practices, Vanilla, maybe it looks better in there than it will in the game. Case in point, Scaler Thompson twenty twenty two preseason Couldn't Miss gets onto the field in the regular season, and the game speeds up and it's a completely different result. You're probably wondering, Travis, why the hell are you talking about the Washington Commanders kick off the podcast. I'm doing that because I wanted to get into this and tell you how a day can unfold because of what Kendall Fuller put on the field today on the tape today. But first, I think that Jaden Daniel's commentary is a perfect way to get into this question that I had for coach McDaniel before practice and a little peak behind the curtain here. I've been sitting on this question for a couple of weeks because I was unable to write it in a way that I thought made sense to ask coach. But today's presser was a little bit more relaxed than it usually is. There wasn't people climbing all over each other to get questions off, So like, all right, go ahead and fire it off here, and you can hear me at the start of the question start to say, or at the end of it, I should say, does that make sense? And before I can get past does that? Coach answers yes by giving me a great answer. But what I asked him was, how do you look at cutdown day with regards to the entire body of work from the new season, going back to Phase one in April, through OTAs, through June and into camp in July and even into August. Because and again here we go with the golf analogies, it's like when you're gonna go play around on Saturday and you're gonna hit balls at the range at various days throughout the week. You're not overly concerned with your bad range session or how your swing looked on a Tuesday. You just have to find a way to dial it in coome Saturday, right, because the score gets kept on Saturday, not on Tuesday. That's how I view camp with that frame of mind, where the games in September that's your Saturday. These practices on training camp are your Tuesday. So you know, I asked, coach, do you consider the reps that happened proverbly on that Tuesday, right, but in May and in April and June, even into July and training camp or is there sort of this arbitrary cutoff date where you bank all those reps and that was all about creating this final product of a player and then we project from there, or is that cutoff day earlier, where we have given you the tools. Now go show us for two weeks or whatever that number would be, what we have developed in you. And it's up to you now to put those all together to make a final product of a player. And Coach gave me this great answer.
Speaker 5: No, it makes sense. It is something that I think is only the only way I know how to you know, truly do right by the evaluation of all of our players, for not only the individual players, but for the organization, you know, collectively, having a ton of conversations and then what to me is the only way to approach it is investing every day in guy's story on the field and seeing how they adjust to turmoil, seeing where you know you want to be in front of that stuff, so you always have things to coach to see. If you know the pattern is that you're trending up, then you know, at the moment of truth, that trend probably speaks more than the exact player at that moment. You can you can, you can, justifiably with good reason, forecast you know the future by that trend, and if the trends inversed, you take that into account. I think all the things the main thing that I think people are players that have been here, you know, for this being their third year, have seen firsthand, and you know the players feel it during the course of camp. We we don't pretend to know the final answer. I think that's super important because you, I think you have to stay true to the you know, what is what is your primary importance or what is the the thing that is of primary importance. And to me, that is that players get to determine who should be on the team who by their actions and not by a predisposed like everybody wins if the Dolphins are their best version of themselves. So we just push that paying attention to everything and where guys are at is very important. And sometimes there's a caveat of assessing trends because you know, you're you've been along for the journey the whole time and can applausibly forecast.
Speaker 2: And I just think that's so instructive because well, let's name some examples. For instance, I came into this camp not entirely sure what we would get from Julian Hill. For instance, I thought Jody Fortson could could possibly unseat him in the Miami Tide end room. I thought Durham Smyth was a lock to be ahead of him and Johnny Smith clearly in that range from my pre camp perspective, and then what does Tanner Connor do? And since then I've learned that he took last year and built on that in every single way possible. So to me, I thought this could be a bubble roster guy, and now I see that I couldn't be more wrong, as this guy has a very clear, big role in the offense. And I hate to admit this, but Jason Matrie was a guy that maybe I subconsciously wrote off since he was a late ad to the UDFA crop and all he's done in camp is make plays and show me how dumb that thought, conscious or not was to possess. Hayden Rouchie was a guy that I didn't think had a chance because I thought he was slow on tape and had nothing to offer in the passing game, and given the depth of this tight end room, I was like, he doesn't have a chance. But then after watching him play in a game and some practices, Oh, he's an absolute butt kicker of a blocker, which was on tape, but I didn't know how easily for him that would translate. So early on in his NFL career, I thought Jack Drisko go off to a very slow start in training camp, to the point that I was like, that, ain't it. But now I'm not convinced he's not a top five offensive lineman on this team. Right now, I've seen Rob Jones progress and take the system, take to the system, I should say more and more, especially compared to years past. I mean, it's all over the roster. And if you don't change your mind to new information, that stubbornness is the perfect recipe for complacency. And as we'll learn from Kay Adams on tomorrow's episode of Drive Time, you're either growing or dying. There is no keeping the status quo. Always question your own evaluations and be willing to adapt them. And so I think you need to sort of undo some of those preconceived notions even now at the stage of camp, because if a guy comes on and carries production into week one, you have to wait that more than a guy that you liked back in OTA's who maybe hasn't made as many plays lately. That trajectory, to me is super fascinating. And to that point, how about the trajectory of a single practice for a veteran like Kendall Fuller who's played close to ten thousand snaps in his career, and this two parter here encapsulates not just that concept, but also how camp practices without the benefit of a play sheet is at best guesswork. And I again say that as a person that kind of makes my hay during training camp. So Kendall allowed a touchdown pass to scary Terry McLaurin in that opening red zone period, but then he closes practice with my favorite moment from training camp so far. So the offense takes the ball down the field in an end of game situation, a critical third down completion from Tuo to Barios gets them into range, and Sanders drills the back of the net and splits the uprights right down the middle from fifty four yards away. In fact, I asked Jason about it after practice and I was like, dude, how many yards are you good from right now? And he was like, kind of fresh leg man, Let's keep that leg fresh. But on the defensive side, the Commanders line up for their first play and they try to go win the game with their offense and McLaurin gets out of his break, Kendall Fuller caps it, gets his hands on the receiver and knocks him to the ground. And I don't care where anybody said, you're gonna retweets about him slipping and falling. A professional athlete does not fall for no reason, especially on turf that's not wet. Doesn't happen. I actually used to tell refs this in basketball games. If I got knocked to the ground, I'd be like, I'm an athlete. I don't just fall down for no reason. That was a foul, and they'd be like, oh, you fell down by yourself. No, dude, it didn't happen. I was always trying to gain the refs that way. But it's true, Like I was a you know, three year letter athlete in the basketball team, Like I'm not just falling down on my own. So Kendall wins the physicality aspect of the matchup. McLaurin falls down and Kendall picks it off, and he does this right in front of the commander's sideline. He makes the play, goes to the ground, pops back up, and then folds his arms across his chest and strikes the post that has to say, yeah, I'm that dude, and the best part, his teammates rushed the field and mob him. It reminded me of when my my wife and I went and saw WSU on a Friday night packed twelve primetime football game, number fifteen in the country take down number five ranked USC Austin Jackson's fifth ranked Trojans on that Friday night in Pullman, and we rushed the field after the game, and Mike Leach was interviewed and said, it's like woodstock out here, only everybody is fully clothed. That's kind of what it reminded me of with full clothed football players. Awesome, awesome scene. Let's go ahead and get the play by play on those two plays from Kendall Fuller.
Speaker 6: The coverage that we were in, it was a coverage that we haven't ran as much. So for me, it was a learning experience of just knowing how or when I can expect to use my safety and whether or not I can use them or if I have to be more aggressive and things like that. And Terry made a had a good, good route, good catch, and then at the end it was just an out route that I love to make plays on, and I was unfortunately able to make it, make a play on it.
Speaker 2: And so just another reminder, we cannot look at camp play results without context because the purpose, again is not to win camp plays, but to get prepared for the season a new coverage. Do you want to roll that out in September or do you want to win a camp practice in August? Pretty obviously answer to me. That's my only point there. And it works both ways where we get maybe too excited, and I'm definitely guilty of that, but I the excitement and conviction that I have on the podcast every day about where I believe this team is going is steeped in, you know, the past eight months of studying this team and the moves and how they might fit. So it's not just like, oh right, don't run Like no, it's it's watching Tennessee tape and hearing coach talk about how they want to use this guy like it's it's not just lacking context like I see some of the other content that talks about how bad it is.
Speaker 3: Let's see.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and go back here to Toront Armstead who talked about Kendall Fuller and that play he made at the end of practice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you can tell the impact that Kendall has brought to this team already. He's a he's a joy to be around. Guys love him in the locker room, in on the field, he's the leader, not the most vocal guy, but he's a very consistent pro, which which you love to see. He's he's always on his game, always on his technique. So it's only fitting for him to be the one to get that interception and kind of in practice against his former teams.
Speaker 2: And let's close up this segment with the rest of the defensive backs or a few of them. From what I saw, Cater Kohu, I think had the best day. He made some plays. I saw him get a TfL in the red zone period, and I saw him score both a pass breakup and a forced incompletion separate of that pass breakup in the move the ball period. So three plays there from him. And that was a period where Washington got almost nothing, so you know, back and forth flows of training camp. Marcus May picked off Daniels on a throw that was deflected over the middle of the football field. I think it was rookie tight end Ben soonet Son, who is looks awesome to me, but I cannot say with one hundred percent uncertainty because I couldn't see that far away, especially with jerseys rolled up under the chess pads.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: That's all I got for you guys there. We have a lot more here, including a lot of offensive line talk with Toron Armstead. I'm going to go on another rant that we'll see if you guys enjoy it or not. More sound from coach McDaniel. Will also hear from Raheem Moster and do the rest of the notes here on the Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation.
Speaker 5: You know I'm looking for today to matter. I say that to the players a ton and you can make today matter for your your your season, the team if you're fully committed and invested with the right mindset and focus for the job at hand and trimming the fact cutting out there's a lot of a lot of excitement, a lot of exuberance and joint practices and having your mind through competition still toward the team goal and the unit goal or the and your job on each and every play. That type of mindset adds up and builds over the course of the course of the training camp. That allows you to play your most convicted football, you know, in the regular season, or allows you to play more the most convicted football for this preseason game, which for a lot of participants is as important as a game could get. I just wanted to matter, and how it matters is through intent. Are you prepared, have you taken all the stuff that we've learned, are you heating to the points of emphasis? And then how do you respond to the inevitable play that the opposing team makes. All of those things are what I'm looking for because I know I don't know exactly what I just know it today will matter if we operate accordingly.
Speaker 2: And that theme continues as we get closer and closer to the end of training camp. In fact, that was the last day of fans here at the Baptist Hell Training Complex. We have two practices next week here and then one in Tampa Bay the game, and then it's on to cut down day and the regular season. We kind of made it, guys like we're getting very close. My son's been sick. The ac in my house went out there the night. That's an expensive fun bill to pay. It's just been a long week for you boy, and I haven't had a chance to watch Hard Knocks yet. One of my top five comedians of all time, Nick Swartzen, has a new special out. I haven't had a chance to watch that yet. So I am itching to get to some content and then hopefully things get a little less cadoic around the Wingfold household to slow down time for a football season, because I can't wait. It's been it's brown way too long since we last saw professional football in a competitive environment. Let's go ahead theugh and continue the day's work here. And I want to go back to Tarron Armstead in a moment, as we are going to be offensive line, running back and run game heavy on the podcast today and to that point, you know again, I saw that we were keeping score on the red zone touchdown plays and the Dolphins were behind twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Nothing like.
Speaker 2: Okay, come on, bro, like we're doing that. You mean the team that we beat last year forty five to fifteen last year in a real game.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Like, look, I don't There's a lot of content out there, and I think that your time as a fan and why I try to make this podcast as tight as possible with the most pertinent information. I can make this show an hour every day because I find that much compelling. But I find your time valuable, and you can listen to whatever you want. But I just think there's enough good content out there to avoid the vapid rhetoric that I so often see. Now, with all of that said, I loved, loved, loved how the Dolphins were getting surge in the running game, and it was once again more creative than your vanilla, stagnant stuff that you might see early on in training camp. You're starting to see kind of the implementation of I guess we'll call them wrinkles off of last year's run game and last year's motions. I won't go any more into detail, but just know that week one you're going to see new stuff like that's how this offense works. And without going into detail, it just looked like in season run game stuff, and it got me thinking, you know, we get to Ron Armstead today for media availability, the best press conference on the entire team. From my money, let's ask this guy who has seen every run scheme in the history of football. And I actually began my question with that way with t Stead, and he just leans into the mic and goes facts that was a fun moment. But I wanted to ask him, as a decade plus long vet who has seen everything this game has to offer, it's got to be fun to sit in there and watch coach and Frank Smith and you know, Eric Studisville in the entire run game Operation install the league's most creative run game, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's great. They find ways to continue to innovate. They continue to evolve the run game. They put the defense in bonds that's advantageous for us as far as leverage. And then they allow a whole line to be playmakers. So I'm able to get up to the second level the corner or maybe even a safety, things that in most run game schemes you you don't necessarily dom usually blocking a DN or double team in on a detac or something like that. But be able to get up to line Baker's corners and all that, you know, I feel like I'm making you know, I can get a chance to make a play.
Speaker 2: I just can't love that enough. Allowing your offensive line to be playmakers and feel like they are playmakers at a position where it's kind of all about, like you know, silent operation. I don't know how many of you guys have ever grinded the Testead Saints tape, but if you get a chance, like do it. Because he was a freaking playmaker there. Some of his pancakes like comical Looney Tunes style decleating blocks where he would get Alvin Kamara these walk in touchdown runs because the defender on the edge is you know, doing the who like freaking curly and the three stooges getting pushed around ice skates. Not many left tackles have been playmakers like Toront Armstead, and I thought we got some of that today. The first two runs of the practice were perfectly created edges where they dented and sealed the perimeter for the combinations of Austin Jackson, Durham Smyth, John Newsmith and alec Ingold to get too nice where he moster at runs just erasing their gap fits and springing heam for some shifty runs off the perimeter. Then when they went inside they found their footing with right with Heim with Savon Ahmed. I thought Rob Jones was instrumental there. And speaking of Rob Jones, let's go ahead and go back to t Stead on what he sees in Big Rob's game.
Speaker 4: He's proven. He's proven. He's still young, but he got he got games under his belt against high level talent.
Speaker 2: He's proven.
Speaker 4: He's a dog. He's physical, he's strong, he's smart, he's tough, everything that you want in a player. I love playing next.
Speaker 2: One and I saw that pretty much throughout the period where they would get these first and ten runs or first in goal runs rather from the ten yard line, and they would get it inside the five. That is what you're trying to do on first and goal from the ten. If you can get it inside the five yard line, you now have two cracks, maybe three cracks at finding a three or four yard touchdown. Sign me up for that. It happened all day long. And I want to dive in deeper here to Rob Jones because you know so I referenced that Cowboys drive at the end of the year last year, where him and Jeff Wilson, and that's why I like, that's why I care about guys deep onto the death chart. Jeff Wilson came into the year as an ir back who was, you know, fourth in the death chart. Rob Jones is probably O line eight and they're making critical plays on Christmas Eve to win you a game that clinches a playoff Berth. I can't fathom coming out here and being like, well, Tyreek's not playing, so I don't really care about this practice. Every player can give you information out here. And I also wasn't shy about how I thought Rob played at right tackle his rookie year in that season finale against the Patriots, and a reminder that this is a guy that was a UDFA from Middle Tennessee State, And in talking to Rob Jones last year in open locker rooms, have kind of gotten to know him, and he's a very friendly fella, and through our chats and interviews, you know he only started playing football as a senior in high school. He then goes to Juco before Middle Tennessee State and there he runs duo. That's it, per him, just ran duo.
Speaker 1: And what duo is.
Speaker 2: It's combination blocks, double teams. It's like a it's more of a counter to outside zone in some sense, but it's a little bit more like connective and more down blocking than playing horizontally like this offense does. Then he gets here and it's you know, in twenty twenty one, more of that duo and RPO concepts, which is more down blocking. But then his second year as a pro, you pivot to this complete remaking of your game in this system. Remember we discussed that in twenty twenty two with Rob Hunt, with Austin Jackson. These guys are like, we have to relearn the position entirely. McDaniels said as much. You know, Matt applebomb holes as much. And you know Rob Jones gets a little bit of time, but not much there. And then last year he goes through some bad injury luck and has these two injuries that rob him pun of some time, but gets back in there and gets some run late in the season. Now he's down to three hundred and fifteen pounds per him He was listed at three hundred and twenty eight pounds last year. He's had a full, healthy offseason. And I keep thinking about this trend in the NFL of offensive linemen that take more time than any other position to develop. And while you're seeing these highly drafted linemen not work out in their first and then they go somewhere else on a prove it type of deal, they ball out and they get paid and they take off. Like I could see that happening for Evan Neil who's been an absolute travesty for the Giants for his first two years and just a random name. Even Christian Darras saw with the Vikings. Go watch with Vikings fans or look at I should say what they said about him during his rookie season. Now he's one hundred million dollar player. Like the college game is not conducive by and large to NFL line play development. They're just not. It's a vertical set. Get in the way and then get back to the huddle. Don't worry about finishing your blocks or driving guys into the ground. It's the exact same thing I said about Patrick Paul when they drafted him. Do you think Dana Holgerson, one of the greatest offensive minds in college football the last two decades, Do you think he cares about getting his offensive lineman ready for the National Football League or that his system is in any way conducive to their development. He's got a system that works and wins games, and that's all his ad cares about. You see it all the time. Austin Jackson much a twenty year old rookie who had less than one thousand collars reps and took some time to have it click. Now look at him. He's got a three year contract for the Miami Dolphins, and it has me thinking, we keep thinking that Leam Eikenberg is the next one who's going to have that light come on for him, or maybe you're not, but that's I think the sentiment that you would hope for due to his draft position and you know how much time he's played, but I look at that as a deterrent for improvement and development because he played like four thousand snaps at another Dame and has played a ton of snaps through his first three years as a pro. I think maybe the guy with minimal snaps over the first two years, who used JUCO and Group of five Football to kind of learn the game and then had to relearn it again his second year as a pro, I think that guy might have the salt to kind of be the next guy we look at and look at how he developed and gave us another hit on the offensive line that wasn't from an unexpected or rather an expected form of acquisition, and by that I mean a high draft pick or a big free agent signing. And all this talk kind of has me feeling ranty once again. So here's what I want to do. And when you hear the audio difference here, just know that this was on the postgame show that we recorded last Friday night with Seth and OJ, so it's going to sound different, But this was the rant that I prepared for the show about concerning thoughts I see regarding the offense as a whole. It is offensive line heavy, but I keep trying to make this point, yet I still see the same stuff. I don't know, Maybe I need to broadcast this to a wider audience somehow, but this was my rant on how the number one offense in the NFL with plenty of research that you'll hear on the on the rant will be just fine. Sometimes you hear something once or multiple times that gives you inspiration to do it yourself. And my esteem co host here, Seth Levitt, has one of my favorite segments that I've heard.
Speaker 3: He did on the Draft Show.
Speaker 2: He's done a few of them here for us in the Postgame show, he's don on the Happy Hour Show that him induced posts during the season as well. And I'm going to go ahead and lift my co host here my Kinsigi area, my friend his bit. If you guys don't mind real quick. It's something that has you that's right. It's something that has been on my mind for several days now. And you know what I think, Guys, what do you think, Travis? I think this growing sentiment that I see. Maybe it's my insulated you know, social media feed that's doing this, But what I see is this sentiment that the Dolphins offense is in some sort of trouble this year because of a few practice reports, not just practice practice, but the practice reports from somebody else. I can't fathom seeing the sky is falling when you have two years of proof of concept for how this offense works. But the last two weeks of camp that that is the real indicator sarcasm. And the thing that I keep reading is that, yes, this quick passing game works and it's great, but I like to not have to rely upon that. That is not something that they do to mask an issue. That's the staple is the staple of the offense. And can someone please please tell me where the issue is? With the following combination of statistics, you guys ready for this. Your twenty twenty three, twenty twenty two Dolphins offenses cumulatively over those thirty four games.
Speaker 3: Were first in air yards.
Speaker 2: That's how many yards the ball travels from when it leaves to was hand to when it greeched the receiver.
Speaker 3: They were first in snap to throw time.
Speaker 2: That is the time between Tua taking the snap and the ball getting out of his hand, aka how much time the pass rush has to hunt him down. They're also first in yards per attempt. That just means we're the most efficient passing offense in the NFL. So nobody pushed the ball further down the field, did it faster, or was more successful these last two seasons. What is the issue with that? And you can tell me that they lost guys on the offensive line, that is true. You can tell me those injuries were when the offense fell off.
Speaker 3: That is not true.
Speaker 2: The combination of Robert Hunt, Connor Williams, and Isaiah Win played twelve hundred of a possible thirty three hundred snaps last year across those three positions. You can tell me they neglected to address the offense this offseason. Is well, but it's also not true. They told you where the offense had.
Speaker 3: To get better.
Speaker 2: McDaniel himself has talked several times on the record in public about better taking advantage of the space that gets created from all the attention that teams give ten and seventeen Tyreek Kill and Jalen Waddle. So enter obj who can play three positions and win vertically from all of them. Enter John new Smith, who is the best tight end in the NFL running after the catch and also gives you access to screens on a y io, which is essentially one way of getting more out of the space from Tyreek, Hill and Waddle, and essentially puts him in positions to break tackles one on one against somebody that he has fifty pounds against. Enter Malik Washington. We saw him tonight. All he's done all camp long is get open, make catches and hit key blocks. Enter Jalen Wright saw him tonight. He looks outstanding, and he gives you runway to expand von A Chan's role in the passing game without drastically increasing his workload. I don't know about you, fellows, but would you set up for two hundred and fifty touches at eight yards per touch?
Speaker 3: Again, I'm good for that. I'm good with that.
Speaker 2: No duo of players create more overplay than the Cheetah and the Penguin and now there are one on one beaters all over the field to capitalize on that. What happened last December was an injury to Tyreek and Layer to Waddle. Their practice time was limited even when they were available to play in the games, which is a challenge and a timing offense, you need those reps. And when the defense bracketed or played two men, or however they tried to make Tyreek and Waddle difficult for Tua to find. We didn't always have the answer, but now we do, and it creates a bigger strength for the foundation by which the offense was built. It's not a gimmick, it's not a feature. It is the offense. And you know who agrees with me, every single branch of this entire coaching tree, which is the most in vogue coaching tree in the National Football League. Did you know that McDaniel, Lafleur, McVeigh, Kubiak, even Papa.
Speaker 3: Shanahan, Mike Shanahan.
Speaker 2: Did you know that not one of those coaches ever drafted an interior offensive lineman in the first round, not ever. Big Seth has a feather in his cap from that one back on Draft night, too. One step further, Kyle Shanahan has taken just one of those guys before Day three. That was Aaron Banks in twenty twenty one, and Matt Lafleur has taken just one Elton Jenkins in twenty nineteen, and the Godfather, Papa Shanahan took one in his entire tenure prior to the third round.
Speaker 3: Look at the Niners and Packers offenses.
Speaker 2: Their skill players are all high draft picks and massive money acquisitions, and by this time next year, the quarterbacks to a Love and Purty are all going to be two hundred million dollar quarterbacks. The interior o lines cheap veteran contracts or day three picks up and down the board for those teams. You wouldn't assemble a team with Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Kevin Durant and then dump the ball into Draymond Green in the post. Forty times a game, you shoot the three, baby. This is how the offense works. They've proven it works time and time and time and time again. The offense will be fine even if it regresses because of a couple of banged up offensive linemen. What are we talking about here? Fifth best offense in the NFL. Boohoo, the sky is not following. The offense is going to be fine. That's what I think. All right, what's say you guys some of your thoughts on that. Let's go ahead and take our last break. Come back and hear more from Toront Armstead. Here from Raheem Mostert and the rest of the day's notes. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. So the running game had some room on Thursday. Let's go back to Tron Armstead, who discussed his perspective on something McDaniel said this week about how you can kind of gauge a back's ability by how guys block for him, and Tron says, the home run hitting ability in this backfield, Yeah, it does give you a little bit of extra juice on your blocks.
Speaker 4: We have a stable, we do, we do. We have a stable, very dynamic, a lot of a lot of speed. And then you got guys that have their own unique styles too. So Essa come in and he just he flashes in his own way. Dvaughn, Raheem the young rook too, you know. So it's it's we have a lot of guys that can that can hit home runs up front to definitely give you a boost energy and you you know, you don't got to do too much. You get your man and it's a chance to.
Speaker 3: Be a home run.
Speaker 2: Quick follow up to that, I asked Rahim most of about the competition the running back room, and he did not parse his words on how he views where this running back room ranks in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we're always we're always trying to compete against each other, but you know we're trying to compete against you know, the entire league too. You know, I feel like our group is definitely the best running back group that's in the in the entire league. It just statistically, if you go by what everybody's done thus far in their careers, I don't think anyone else matches up to our standards. And it just carries out, carries over into the entire season. You see what you know myself? You know, even with Devon last year, I mean that number that he the yards could carry for a rookie man is just that's just crazy, right, Like that's never I don't think it's ever gonna happen again, you know, him having eight hundred yards as a rookie and coming in fitting in right. And then you have Jeff Wilson who's done some unbelievable things. You have Sad who's been you know, doing some things as well. So we have a whole collective group of guys. I mean even even with the fullback, you know, alec Engel is just his unbelievable guy as well and a huge playmaker for this for this team. So you just got to carry it over into the season and and you know grow from from here on out.
Speaker 2: Segment three has kind of become random, uh, miscellaneous points, and that's what we're gonna do right here. Because Patrick Paul I thought, had himself another nice day as one of those edge denters in the running game. Toront Arstead gave us some you know, scouting reports on the big rookie out of Houston.
Speaker 4: His passport is looking really clean, He's getting a lot of he's finding his patients in his past sets. He's long, he's six fourteen, so he's able to use his length, and he's he's keeping his feet in the ground. Still got some some things that I would want to see from one of more consistent base, but it's starting to see more flashes of the dominance that that he has in his his body is to his toolbox, and that will continue to show more consistently. Been past, it's been great man. He go after it every day. Hard, physical, he's freaky, athletic, he's tough. But then the tools that he got, the God given you gifts that he that he has to be able to use those as well. More experienced, more knowledge he pat to be. It'll be just fine.
Speaker 2: I think six foot fourteen is seven foot two. He's a big dude, all right. So for the rest of the offense, Tyreek got deep on a long ball from Tua, but Tua overshot him. Not something you see very often, Tyreek getting overthrown. But he was awesome again he always is. Malik Washington had a nice catch on a deep ball from Mike White, a contested catch for about forty yards. Tua had touchdown throws to River, Craik Craft and Durham smythe In fact, the tight ends were super involved today. Durham had two touchdowns another from Skyler and John who was all over the field, catching, blocking, running, making all the all star moves. I just continue to see his skill set as such a change up to everything that we do and what I think he can do in your screen game. I've talked about it at length. You know that why Iso backside throwing the ball, try to see if a safety can go tackle him one on one. I'm so excited about that, and so too is running back Raheem Moster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there should be quite a few differences.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: We we've had Durham in the past and other tight ends that you know have made a key impass. But you know, to get a guy like John new to come in and do do you know yards after catch is unbelievable. He's pretty fast as well for a tight end, and he could block on the edge and he's not afraid to get a little dirty. So when you got guys like that, man, it just it takes his game to a whole nother level. And I can't wait to see what he could bring to the table. And and I've been a big fan of his, you know, just watching from Afar, I'm seeing all the type of things that he's been able to do. So to see him flourish and in this offense is gonna be spectacular.
Speaker 2: Let's finish up here with extra points on the defense. Emmanuel Ogball was awesome today. Saw him in the backfield a handful of times. I had him for a sack and a TfL. Now how that happened, not really sure, sorry, but becoming a bit of a play by a play man here. But that's the antithesis of what I'm going for, but it is what it is. I couldn't see much from my vanage point. Deshan Hann continues to have a sneaky good camp. I saw him get some knock back a couple of times today when I had the b knocks out and really trying to focus on that defensive line. And then David Long was the guy that made splash plays from what I could see as the player of a day on defense. I saw him whack a check down and send a big body tight end backwards and he's not a big dude, but he plays like it man. And I saw him greet a running back who tried to cut back in the hole on him and get just absolutely annihilated in the gap. He brought the hammer and attitude all day long. I thought Brandon Peely and Jonathan Harris had some good days among the defensive line as well, and that's all I got for you tomorrow a preview of the game, and the great Ky Adams here on the podcast. I cannot wait for y'all to hear that one. And then a football game, and I can't wait for that one either. As always, will have full coverage on game night, a podcast that comes out in the early morning hours on Sunday, and then back at it again Daniel on Monday for another practice. But until then, you all please be sure to subscribe, rate, review the podcast, all that sweet stuff. Follow me on social at Wingfield, NFL and the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with my guys Seth and Juice. They have something coming on the pike here pretty soon that you are not gonna want to miss, cooking up a really cool project. Check out the YouTube channel for media availabilities, draft time content, and so much more. And last but not least, Immy Dolphins dot Com Until next time, fins up Carolina and Cameron Daddy use gum and hold