Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds and companies. Are now urging the Supreme Court to quickly hear Trump's tearuff challenge. H I wonder why we have such a great show for you today. Talking Points Memo's own Josh Marshall stops by to talk Trump overplaying his hand with an unpopular agenda. Ben, we'll talk to the Vice chair of the Democratic National Committee, Malcolm Kenyatta about the drama inside the DNC and his vision for the organization. But first the news.
Speaker 2: All right, Maya, let's start off today with like an edition of that I like to call the Tyrant News. Senator Alex Padilla called Trump a tyrant on the Senate for today, and well, when you think of how a tyrant rules, you would think of this picture that I saw today of Comptroll Bradlander, who's the second in charge of New York City for those not familiar, being choked by an ICE official in a mask and another one standing by in a really ominous mask.
Speaker 3: And it really is just not giving freedom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, let's talk about this. ICE has now arrested. Okay, our com troller Bradlander. Senator Alex Paedilla, Okay, we were told Christy Noms said she did not know he was a United States senator. This is not like members of Congress couldn't fucking figure out who. By the way, I mean, Alex Padilla has been on this podcast. We all know who Alex Padia is, and we are not even elected members of government.
Speaker 2: One might say, Corey Lewandowski also knew who Alex Padilla was.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I mean, what the point here is that there's video of Ice just completely roughing up Lander. There's a photo of Lander looking like he's being choked. Again. Look, nobody is ever going to want to come here. Number one, Like, we are a service economy, we live on tourism, We try to engage Taurus. They are not going to want to come here. The few who do not have phones, you know, who haven't seen what the fuck is going on here, are not going to want to come here. Second of all, this is a country where we don't arrest the people we don't like. Like, that's not how this works, or at least it's not how it's supposed to work. So we have all of these visuals of Ice just arresting democratic politicians, even if the democratic politician is doing something stupid. It makes Ice look terrible. And one of the things about trump Ism is that there are always these unintended consequences, right, things that they didn't necessarily mean to happen. And this is such a great example of an unintended consequence. So now we're going to have a whole news cycle about Ice arresting Bradlander as opposed to anything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it don't think they are saying that.
Speaker 2: Of course, mister Lander allegedly assaulted the officers. We've seen this lie before, since my wife was a part of the previous time they lied about this in New York.
Speaker 1: City, where they went and arrested someone in Jaring Nadler's office because they said Nadler was going against Ice. It turned out none of that was true.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we can't really take these people out there word. The other thing I should say is you could hear the video. What of the officers literally say you sure we want to arrest the second in charge of New York City.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me tell you who the big loser in this is, besides Ice and the Trump administration. You know who the big loser is, Tell me Andrew Cuomo, because nobody who knows who the fuck Brad Lander is and being arrested by Ice may be the best thing that happens to Lander and the worst thing that happens to one Andrew.
Speaker 2: Well, I won't be crying eighty tears anyway. We now have a bipartisan bill in Congress from Rocanna and Thomas Messi to say Trump can't go to.
Speaker 1: War with a run Yeah. I mean, by the way, I am no Thomas Massey fan, but the Thomas Massey's and also the ran Paul's. Okay, these are not people that anyone particularly wants to agree with. But these guys at least have acted in a bipartisan way, and so at least they have principles. Like Massy and ran Paul have said no, you know, they won't vote for trump Ism, and I actually think, I mean this is because they don't want to do regime change in Iran, which, by the way, I just want to pause from it and think about the many times in which America has tried to do regime change and how well it's worked out. There are some translators from Afghanistan who are being deported right now. And so I want to tell you we are not a country that can do regime change. We can barely do our own regime okay change right, so should we be doing regime change? Abs fucking insane. You know, Massey goes with the Democrat that's in an effort to require congressional approval before Trump attacks Iran. This is one hundred percent. First of all, presidents should not be allowed to do this unilaterally. This is like a vestige of Bush too. You know that they should go. And I'm sure there are somebody who listens to this podcast is going to tell me the stories of ways in which presidents have grabbed power from Congress. But this is another one. He should not be able to do this now. Of course it's Trump. So Republicans are even more cowardly than usual. Again, I don't know what Trump is doing, because no one knows what Trump is doing because Trump is so erratic and crazy. But Trump's people have been sending out the word via the mainstream media that Trump wants to bring a Ran back to the table. Who even knows if that's what he wants, but that's what his people are pretending he wants yeah fun stuff.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of a little bit of Trump pushback in the legislative branch, the Senate GOP is rethinking the tax cuts and medicare overhaul in Trump's megabill.
Speaker 1: Yeah. CBO releases a dynamic score of the House Past One Beautiful Bill Act, finding it would add two point seven seven trillion to the debt. This is worse than the two point four trillion, and that's because the economic growth revenue is outlighed by higher debt interest payments.
Speaker 2: Somali, here's a thing I was not looking forward to discussing, because we discussed it on Sunday and frankly, it's so repulsive. But Senator Mike Lee has decided to leet the social media posts where he lied about the motives of a murder of a bunch of different legislators in Minnesota after he was confronted by both a letter from a colleague, Senator Tita Smith in person and reporters where he was such a coward he wouldn't even answer the reporters and he would not stand by this stupid based Mike Lee account where he constantly trolls and makes a mockery of our entire system.
Speaker 1: So Mike Lee has this account called based Mike Lee where he channels Don Junior, and in it he made all of these posts about how the murderer, the guy who murdered this woman and her husband the Democratic Minnesota State House she had been the house state House leader and murdered them in their beds while they were asleep in the dead of night because he was a Trump supporter and anti choys, Mike Lee posted all these things about how he was a Marxist and all sorts of really vile, disgustingness, and like so many keyboard warriors, when Tina Smith, who is a member of the Senate for the state of Minnesota, confronted him, he looked ashen and apologeic. I do not think he saw this coming. Then he actually deleted the tweets, which is okay, it's good that he deleted the tweets, But no apology. No, I'm sorry, none of that. No, let me correct the record. Just some tweets deleted and now running from reporters. Look, is it good to do the right thing? Yes? Is it good to delete the tweets? Yes? I mean it's just ridiculous. This person is a ridiculous person and this has been disgusting. These people were murdered. There are two other members of the Minnesota House who are in the hospital, still in surgery. I mean the heartiest, the heartiest, Fuck that guy to Mike lay who it's actually not moment of fuck Ray, but I say it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we should say there's a industrial complex of the right wing. Try to give your grandfather a reason that they could argue at the dinner table and say there's not right wing violence and the same reason elods now correct it. Grock factually saying that the right is more violent incidents than the left.
Speaker 3: Is that they try to pretend this isn't the case so they can keep getting away with it. But it's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Josh Marshall is the editor of Talking Points Memo. Welcome back to Fast Politics.
Speaker 4: Josh, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. Last night when Donald Trump left the G seven, I was like struck by this moment of like, oh, right, we have real world stuff and a DoD that's run by a weekend host from Fox News.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know. That was one of the features of Trump's first presidency that until COVID, until the world like exploding, there wasn't a lot of high stake stuff going on. That's good for him, since he's not a manager of things in any real way. This second presidency is very different, partly because of all the chaos that he has unleashed, but also because it's we now live in a more chaotic world. And some of that's because of his first presidency. Some of that's because we're still kind of in the post COVID era. But yeah, I mean it's we see that. I actually thought that that was something that was in the backdrop to what you just mentioned, his deciding to leave the G seven meeting. That in both Washington and Jerusalem right now and what's going on in Tehran is its own possibly similar, similar world. You have leaders who you really don't know what their game is, and that creates a lot of a lot of uncertainty, even beyond the way that war is inherently uncertain.
Speaker 1: I wrote this piece yesterday for Verny Fair from my column about how the grown ups in the room I truly believe, for example, during Trump's one point now they all went on to write books who were like we were the grown ups in the room. We were the people who prevented Trump from going for Trump, and their argument was that being the grown ups in the room saved us all from what could have been something terrible. Now, my theory of the case is that the grown ups in the room actually just saved Trump, like made him electable in a way that may reelectable. So like, in some ways it's possible that we would have been honestly better off had there not been any grown ups in the room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's possible.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's insane, But.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think it's both. When you said before about they more saved Trump, I think it's both. And that fits in with what you're saying by preventing him from doing totally out of control things. They both prevented damage to the country, certainly in a near term you can argue long term, you know, even more damage, but prevented damage to the country. But they also insulated him. And this is what I have thought a lot, and I thought this before the election. I thought it even more after the election. That one thing that you know, anti Trump people, Democrat, liberals, whatever, however, you know, wherever you want to draw the diagram missed about the Trump presidency is that because there were those I don't know, adults in the room, guardrails, whatever you want to call it, that if you just sort of looked away from politics, you could say, what was the problem. You know, yeah, he was weird and all this, he did all this silly stuff, but the economy, again until COVID, remained pretty buoyant. If you're not focused on politics and you're just living your life, you could say, you know, that was just the sort of the Washington Show and it seemed fine. And if you're not tuned into politics, so you can say he kept the economy going well. Well, you know, I'm not sure he did it, but it did keep going well.
Speaker 5: And that's what I So.
Speaker 4: I think this was a big blind spot for people to some degree like myself, who figured, all right, people are not going to lect that guy again, because you know, it's it was really a fight over voters who were not plugged in. And if you're not plugged in, you weren't paying that close attention. It just wasn't that bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've seen more. I just saw a video of a woman who voted for Trump and her father got deported, Like, how do you make that? I mean, I guess you watch him on Joe Rogan you think, yeah, well, you know, why would Joe Rogan steer me wrong? Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean there's a lot of people we kind of wonder about whether they're having second thoughts. It is a little odd that you could have an immediate family member who is undocumented and you could think bringing Trump in was going to be a great idea that doesn't require a lot of creativity. But you know, having said that, they did certainly when it was opportune. They definitely said this thing, Oh, we're just going to go after the criminals and the bad guys and the rapists and everything, and.
Speaker 5: Clearly some people bought that.
Speaker 4: And you know, a lot of what it comes down to is people don't think that hard about things, right you say, well, didn't you figure it might happen to you? People don't get that far down the decision tree. That's how people exist in the world to a great extent.
Speaker 1: So Trump comes back Israel and aarn in some kind of war. Will America get involved? We don't know. But a really interesting story about the right has emerged. So we have Tucker Carlson and Marjorie Taylor Green again, you know this crew does not want war or who knows they have staked their ground as non interventionists sortid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So talk us through that well with Tucker Carlson, there may be something to that. He's kind of moved in a very far direction. But a lot of the Trump people, you know, you hear Trump bomb someone or or killed some super bad guy, they're all for it. So in the whole Trump world, I think non interventionism is very shallow. It's until Trump says otherwise, But they're clearly is something with Israel here. That's a real cleavage, and not just because a lot of Trumpers are big time anti Semites, right.
Speaker 1: Right, right right, that's right, an important data point. I think that's a really important introduction.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but not only that.
Speaker 1: I think, right that's just a part of the tapestry.
Speaker 3: Just a part of it.
Speaker 4: I do think that in the Trump world what they want is the sort of the one night stand version of kicking ass. They want Trump to lash out and bomb people, but they want it to be over the next day, and they don't want to have to call a few days later and check in and see if you want to go on another date.
Speaker 1: Right, right, I mean exactly.
Speaker 4: They want to be super militarily strong and they want to dominate, and dominating requires like outbursts of violence, but they don't want it to be ongoing. I think that's their non interventionism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a very good point. And there's really a lot of anti Semitism, which I think is an unspoken or I think spoken but not spoken nearly enough. Because Trumpism wraps itself in being pro Israel, It's ultimately not really.
Speaker 4: Pro Israel beyond the fact that there's a domestic politics angle for them. I think Trump and a lot of trump Ism sees Israel as like a junior mascot of trump dominationism, right, you know, young buddy sidekick. So there is that aspect of it that is kind of you know, killing Arabs basically, or in this case, killing Iranians. And I think we're you know, where you have some of that cleavage is that most American Jews, to the extent that they are attached to Israel, are attached to a very different version of Israel, and a version of Israel that to a significant extent has been eclipsed over the last twenty or thirty years. And the part of Israel that the Trump folks are very attached to is the part that they are uncomfortable with. That's a whole you know, that's a whole thing. But one of the pioneers of political anti Semitism, sort of not a hall of fame you want to be in, is this guy who is the mayor of Vienna at the turn of the nineteenth twentieth century. His name is I think Luger, I can't remember what his first name was. In any case, was sort of the pioneer of populist anti Semitism. There's a funny thing because in his own life he had Jewish friends dine with Jews, and so there's this famous story where he gets asked one time, you're the big Jew hater. Why do we see you having, you know, dining with Jews and your friends are Jews, And he has his famous line he says, I decide who's a Jew? And Trump is I think like that, right, He'll decide who the Jews are. And you see that even where Asaurus is bad because he's you know, he's a bad Jew, and then they're good Jews.
Speaker 3: And that's sort of the Trump world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cannot be stated enough. This is not actually about Judaism. This is just about a kind of quoke of a white nationalism or a fall right nationalism. You know, it's funny. I can ask you about this because you are so intellectual. I just realized, no, but seriously, because you know, you come from academia, so I can ask you about this. So I'm reading this book right now because I've been on my book tour, How to Lose Your Mother. It's available now.
Speaker 4: You should be so proud of your success. It's just it's it seems to be flying off the shelves.
Speaker 1: It's actually sold out everywhere, which is making me completely crazy. But it's amazing, and it is on the New York Times bestseller list, hopefully to stay. I'm very superstitious, but I'm reading this book on my book tour. The Anatomy of Fascism by Robert O. Paxton. I don't know if you know this book, And in it he's talking about how fascism is very much a cult of personality and that you can't do it with a non charismatic leader. Right. You have to have a Mussolini. You gotta have a Hitler. You gotta have even a pinochet, you can't. It doesn't work with an al Gore.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And yes, that is absolutely part of it. And the hero worship and oddly the kind of even the eccentricities are kind of part of it, and the kind of the operatic kind of personality are part of it too. It's a weird aesthetic.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So do you think that what happens is that people are caught of guard by the humor? For example, in trump Ism, there's a certain kind of humor right like he's a ridiculous character, and that then they go along with things they might not otherwise had it been so like a JD. Vance is not going to get away with stuff that a Donald Trump is, just like Mike Pets was unable to get away with stuff that a Donald Trump did. Do you think the humor tricks constituents into going along with stuff or do you think that it just is irrelevant and that they're in a cultive personality.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think it's irrelevant. I think how these cults of personality work are very complex, and it's important for people who revile Trump, who just who despise him, to see that in his own way. He is very charismatic. He's funny in his own way. Now it's often a sadistic kind of humor, but he does have this public style that is very effective. And one of the things about Trump is that he has these moments of self awareness and even kind of self criticism in a way, not self criticism exactly, but awareness of some of his craziness. And I, like many other people, have given a lot of thought to this. It's almost something that is not susceptible to discoursive thought in the way that you might write down in an academic book. It's a little more like jazz in a way. You get a feel for it. But I think all of those are part of it. And when we talk about a cult of personality, the humor, all of those things are part of it. Probably many of your listeners have seen this too, that Mike Lee, senator from Utah, the sort of the very degenerate senator from Mutah, is maybe in a little trouble now because one of the senators, Senator Smith from Minnesota, kind of called him out about these terrible tweets. And one of the many things that that episode shows is that people play these online personas and it becomes a separate world. And so we all have some experience of that, of the performative nature of these things. In some ways we live in that world. And Donald Trump is like a master of that world, of creating this kind of distracting alternative reality that is always on the move, always taking things in another direction, is entertaining, distracting, mesmerizing, and that thing, very hard to capture, is really central to his power. Even though it seems sort of silly and distracting and stupid and is all those things, it's central to it. And yeah, that is at the core of his power. And it's a weird thing to understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's funny because I watch him speak a lot, unfortunately for me. I'll watch c SPAN and you'll hear him do things like he'll say, well, we like you. Wasn't much of a Trumper, but now they're Trumpers. He's good to us the most mega he was so mega. We didn't like this, but we do like what he really thought about someone, which, if you think about it, think about all of the very well meaning democratic politicians who you and I really like are partisan favorites who will absolutely not fucking tell you anything. Right, it's a superpower.
Speaker 5: In a way, it is a superpower.
Speaker 4: And that's kind of a version of what I was talking about about the self criticism. It's not only self criticism, but he'll kind of go into it his own internal monologue sometimes, right, yep. And I do think that is a big reason that he has a hold on some people people's sense so like he's real and in a sense, I think what is resonating with them is that he's up there riffing and it's not planned, and he's kind of it is kind of stream of consciousness. Now, most of his stream of consciousness is nonsense and just making things up. It plays as a kind of authenticity for people. I want the next Democratic leaders to be on social media a lot. Oh yeah, that was you know, one of the things about not even his first presidency, but his first campaign was everybody else is like, okay, should we put out a press release for this? And he's just going on Twitter.
Speaker 5: Right. You know.
Speaker 1: It's funny because it's like we have had the minority leader on this podcast, and you know, they put out press release after press release after press release, but nobody cares because it's a press release, and if he just would tweet out what he really thought. I mean, it is an information desert, and if you tweet out what you really think, people will respond to it. And if you have something that's completely you know, run over by legal six times, nobody gives a fuck.
Speaker 4: It's not news. It's not news. Like look, I'm in the news business. I never look at press releases. You don't put out a press release to make news. You put out a press release to be able to say you said something. And so there's a part of this. You know, it is not an accident that Donald Trump was a creation of the tabloid newsworld of the New York of the nineteen eighties. It's not an accident because that is where that is sort of where our current media culture was born, the beginnings of electronic media, the tabloid culture, all of that stuff. And so it makes sense that, you know, all the ability to just kind of like, I'm going to keep in the news and going to keep doing stuff that people have to react to. And it's just critical for people who care about politics to understand why he is powerful in that way.
Speaker 5: You have to like it.
Speaker 4: He does have this one superpower it's what I guess people have recently started calling the attention economy. If you want to move in the news world, it's like, you know, improvisational jazz in a quintet. You've got to be able to hold the stage for a little while, right. It's very strange stuff, but these very kind of symbolist things translate into hard power that get people's families torn apart and sent to a gulag in El Salvador. So things that seem very silly and fluffy translate into real power and real violence.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, sayank you, thank you, Josh.
Speaker 5: Marshall, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Malcolm Kenyatta is a vice chair of the Democratic National Committee and a Pennsylvania state representative for the one hundred and eighty first district. Welcome to Fast Politics, Malcolm.
Speaker 5: Allie, I'm so happy to be here, and more than anything else, I'm going to start by plugging your book. I can't wait to read it.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, Yes, this is it, How to Lose Your Mother Me plugging the podcast podcast. So now let's talk about you. Are DNC vice chair again, yes again? So what happened? Explain to us to your DNC vice chair. I have known you for a long time. You're a state representative in Pennsylvania. You're excellent. You ran against Fetterman in the primary when Fetterman was not what he is right now, which is totally not what I remember him to be. You did not win that primary. You went back to state legislature. You became a vice chair of the DNC along with David Hogg. Now catch us up on what happened next.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what happened next was a series, you know, sometimes an intentional and sometimes unintentional miscommunications about what happened next is often spend a lot of time trying to tell the facts here, long story short after the election, anybody who's ever been in a long, annoying, fucking meeting knows about Robert's rules of order, And effectively, one of the people who was unsuccessful said back on February the twenty eighth that Robert's rules of order weren't followed in her view, and back in February she filed that challenge to the election results. And because unlike this authoritarian administration, the Democratic Party actually believes in due process, there was a process where she got to file a complaint we had a number of days to respond to her complaint. The committee had a number of days to hear that complaint. Already people's eyes are glazing over. But ultimately what happened are I know, I'm in it. My eyes are glazed over. But what ultimately happened was the Committee decided to hould the election again, you know, which I did not think was you know appropriate. I called it at the time, you know, a slap in my face. But in this moment, with everything going on, with a president that is so lawless, so out of control, and so willing to throw away all of the modern safety net so that they can stuff the pockets of the wealthiest people the world has ever seen, we need a strong democratic party. And a part of what we need in this moment is not for everybody who's ever been frustrated with Democrats to walk away. I've been frustrated with Democrats. I'm chief among them. But the question is what do we do with that frustration. I decided to go into the building and try to fucking change it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is why I love you. So tell me what happens next?
Speaker 5: So what happens you know next? Does we have our you know, Big Officers Retreat back in March on March to twenty fifth, where Ken Martin our new chair. For folks who don't know Ken, Ken was the guy after the twenty sixteen election who led a lot of the reforms in the DNC around minimizing the power of superdelegates, trying to get the party out of the you know, the gilded ages where people in smoke filled rooms picked our nominees, and he laid out a series of like twenty I think it is reforms to the party, including officer neutrality. A month later, David Hogg announced that he was going to do this primary thing with leaders we deserve.
Speaker 1: You know what, let's stop for a second. Officer neutrality explain to us what that means.
Speaker 5: So back in twenty sixteen, and for some of the people who were like jump in my comments and say, Malcolm, what about twenty sixteen. Back in twenty sixteen, I was not an electric official. There was a well known presidential primary which we've never gotten over between ever ever, ever, like I'm going to tell my grandkids about this. Yeah, that's right, And out of that primary there was a perception, and some could even say a reality. I'm not going to Quipple over that. But at the minimum, there was a perception that the party was not even handed in that primary. And what we must all endeavor to do is to make sure or that never happens again.
Speaker 1: Right, And that was because of super delegates too.
Speaker 5: Right now, because of super delegates and like just many aspects of the process that people can point to. But I want to be crystal clear, I don't want any people, ten people sitting in a smoke filled room or no smoke field room, in a room in DC, looking across the country trying to pick our freaking nominees. I think we trust voters to pick our nominees. But let me make this point, because this has been sort of people's assumption. The DMC, the Democratic National Committee, is not an incumbent protection racket. My job is not to re elect incumbents. My job is to elect Democratic nominees that are chosen by Democratic voters in their districts. That's our job, full stop. And unfortunately, the election challenge that was filed back in February, and Ken calling profice in neutrality back in March, you have so many people still to this day are saying that this is somehow payback for David and now saying that he would not Abuie by officer neutrality back in April, that timeline just doesn't work. And I've said this constantly, but you know, a li will get around the block while the truth is putting its shoes on, and so I decided to put my shoes on tell the truth about what's happening.
Speaker 1: Ken Martin says he wants officer neutrality. This is part of a larger decision. Explain a little more about this.
Speaker 5: It's to make sure that particularly in this presidential primary, and Molly, I'm sure you'll interview all of them, well, hopefully not all of them, because they're gonna, like ninety people who run for president.
Speaker 1: Ook are going to be just an absolute epic shit show.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's gonna be so many people, and I think in that process, as you might imagine, there are gonna be a lot of hard feelings, a lot of people who have thoughts about the process. And when it's over, and when any primary is over, you need somebody who people know cared about the outcome of the game as a good referee should, but wasn't trying to be a player in the game. And the DNC. Our job and what we're doing is building the infrastry structure so that when our candidates come out of those primaries they have all the tools they need to be successful. And that means that we have to invest and rebuild our state parties. I was just in Mississippi and all of you know, our last Democratic nominee, Mike Best be there.
Speaker 1: We had him on like six times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was the strongest statewide Democrat we've seen in Mississippi in modern history. And he said this multiple times. And the new chair who came in, you know, on the tail end of that campaign, by the way, was very clear that they needed to build out the infrastructure. We shouldn't be asking Democratic nominees to build out the voter contact infrastructure, even things around you know, voter community, you know around excuse me, media and communications. There are a bunch of different things that we need to do that the Democratic Party is investing in. And so our job is to build infrastructure so our nominees win, not to try to pick our nominees. And that does not mean that we don't want robust primaries. If you are listening to this podcast and you're thinking about running for office, run for office. I'm not trying to stop you. If a running office, run for office on whatever platform you have, run for office, talk to voters in your district and go out and win. And when you are the nominee, sign me up to do whatever event I need to do to make sure you beat whatever authoritarian supporting Republican is on the other side.
Speaker 1: All right, So then you guys have another election and David does not run again.
Speaker 5: Explain, Yeah, so you know why David chose not to run again. You know, obviously, you know he put out a statement to that effect. But you know, in the first election, we won pretty handily. You needed I think it was two hundred and one votes. We got two hundred and ninety eight votes. I think David got two fourteen. We won pretty handily. And throughout my work in the one hundred and thirty days or so before the election, you know, I traveled twenty one thousand miles to a nine states, did three dozen events, fundraisers, the list goes on and on to try to build this party, and I was confident that I would have the votes to win again. David made a decision to focus his work on leaders we deserve. I said it at the time. You know, I really wish him the best. There is nothing wrong with robust primaries. We have folks in organized labor who endorse different people. We have you know, Emily's List, Run for Something, which is an incredible organization that supports young people running for office, Collective Pack Victory Fund, so many different organizations. We're going to play in primaries, and they should, and I'm going to be waiting for those primaries to be over to support them. However, however we can at the DNC.
Speaker 1: So then explain to me what happened with Randy Wineingarden.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so let me let me. Let me say this, and I said this on the MSNBC. I think I was on like right after this news broke. Randy and Lee Saunders, our dear, dear friends of mine. Let me say that there is no Malcolm Kenyata in politics without asks me and AFT. The support of their members and their support personally has meant so much to me, and their friendship means so much to me, and I respect their decision to step back. But I think the only question that I think we really need to answer is what are we going to do for working people and working families to make their lives better. And you heard me say this over and over again. Even Fox News said they're sick of me saying yeah. But I think the Democratic Party has a singular mission and ultimately a singular message. We have to make life better and a part of that equation obviously is making sure that people get a fair wage, that they get the benefits and dignity they deserve on the job. And no, you know, there are very few people who have fought as hard for those changes and for those rights and earned benefits then Lease Honders and Randy Weingarten, So you know they're taking a step back. I absolutely respect them, but I know where I'm going to see them on a picket line on some fight for justice, and they're going to be fighting arm in arm with the Democratic Party to elect Democratic candidates who care about those values. But I think as a party right now, we are going to be focused not on the past, but on what our party must be. And I think you know, if you want to get on TV right now, Molly, you know it. You just say Democrats suck, write an op ed, it gets published. You can be an a blog of any show you want to be on and you know that's all well and good. I think enough op eds have been written about what the Democrats did wrong. I'm sick of that shit. I think it's our responsibility to talk about what we're going to do next, to tell people who we are going to be and what we've been. And so that's why I go all across this country talking about how we're going to make life better for working people and working families. And I have no doubt that those two leaders are going to continue to do that work, no matter what their role or title is.
Speaker 1: So they didn't step down because they were feeling that the DNC wasn't doing what it should be doing.
Speaker 5: I can't get into their their heads here. We know what they wrote in their letters and what's been reported. But let me just say, you know they they did this for you know a number of years. They have done their their service and their time at the DMC. They have huge organizations that they run, and those organizations and the values of AFT, the values of AFTE are the Democratic Party values. And when Democrats take the House back in twenty twenty six, we better get about the business of passing the pro forcing the Senate and the President to be against making it easier for people to organize on the job. You know. In a now viral video where I work in Harrisburg, after a speech that I gave about the minimum wage, the Republican leader gets up on the floor and says, every job shouldn't have a living shouldn't be a living wage because he's such a you know, a jerk, you know, in an asshole. He does not think people should be paid a dignified wage. That's what we're up against right now. And Randy and Lee are going to definitely be in the trenches helping us do that work, you know, and we respect their leadership. But now we have to move forward and do the work that we must do, making sure that everybody hears about how the Democratic Party wants to make life better for working people and working families.
Speaker 1: Jerry Connelly he died in office the day before the Big Beautiful Bill was passed by a one full margin. In my mind, that strikes me as why we are in so much trouble in this moment. Can you speak to it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So, first of all, I just want to say just to Rep. Connolly's family and to his you know, incredible wife, Kathy I know how hard this is, but let me also say, I think that voters are having these these conversations, all these conversations that you're talking about. I want to see people who have a vision for this country, people who have a good way of talking about the future, to step up. And honestly, the people need to step up the most are the folks who have the most on the line. I mean, listen, I'm not even thirty five yet I'm asking every single day, am I gonna be able to breathe the damn air and drink the water? Or me and my husband may the start a family to live in a community that's safe. And if we had kids, are they going to grow up in some authoritarian, right wing maga QAnon regime? And so I think invariably you are gonna have people who understand the impact of this moment, including a bunch of young people, step up and run for office. And they should. People should step up and run for office. But we shouldn't also so not continue to give Republicans a pass here. And I think what often happens is, well, we assume Republicans are bad, So why even talk about the fact that they're bad? The big bullshit bill, which is what I call it, passed because Republicans want it to pass, because they do not give a damn about kicking fourteen million people off of health care, because they don't care about ripping food out of the mouths of kids, because they don't care about shutting down critical research that helps us deal with issues like cancer and HIV, because they don't care about people being kicked out of their homes. And the reality is that time and time and time again, we are ignoring the advice that comes from a very unexpected place. If you ever saw the show Silo, I don't watch Silo. My husband watched Silo, and if I want to sit in the fucking living room, I apparently aren't have to watch Silo too, and so and so and so. One of the characters on Silo said something that I felt was so impactful. She said, we have to figure out how to be angry with each other and not at each other, because in this moment, the things that we're even defending, I don't think even enough Democrats know that this is something we did. Medicare, Medicaid, social Security, these are programs that are deeply popular. The Affordable Care Act programs that are deeply popular that Democrats passed, and we have to get back to the business of talking about how we're going to do that again, how we're going to make life better and if you hear me again, Hey, Malcolm, should young people run for office? Yes? Yes, yes, they should run for office. Al Roker did a whole documentary about my run for office called Do Not Wait Your Turn. You can go watch it if you're bored. Okay, So I'm all about this, but I just want to be crystal clear that voters are going to decide who those nominees are and I'm going to support them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that, and I agree with everything you're saying. I probably would have said it. I probably have said it myself in a very similar way over the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 5: Well you've said it better, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: No, I think about the same. But I want to ask you for example, and I say this. You know I'm a partisan, So what is responsibilityy with something like the Jerry Connolly situation? Like? Because I mean, listen, I like a lot of those people. I like a lot of the people in the House, a lot of Democratic Congress people I call a friend. I talk to people before the vote. I know that a lot of people liked him, but I just am curious, like basically what I heard from people because I asked them why they would elevate him instead of AOC because he was battling throw cancer, was seventy six and also just was not as good a communicator as AOC. And you know, you can like him or love him, but he was not a politician who broke through. Particularly so when I asked people about why they were voting for him, they would say, well, it's his turn. And I wonder, whose responsibility is it to tell somebody in their seventies who's got throw cancer that they can't be ranking member, Like obviously there's a failure of leadership here, or doesn't it seem like if I had a company and I were running a company and you know, we just had And I don't mean to push you on this because I really like you and we're friends, and I have enough elected who are mad at me.
Speaker 5: Oh please put me out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I just am wondering, like, whose responsibility isn't like Republicans are craven, like we saw Republicans tell Steve Scalice he couldn't be in leadership because he had blood cancer. We heard Marjorie Taylor Green say that she was like, you can't because you had blood cancer. So whose responsibility is it to say to someone in their seventies who has cancer? And I say this as someone who has a husband who had cancer, like, whose responsibility is it to say.
Speaker 5: That we listen? I think the antidote to all of the problems we have in this moment are those three words that open our constitution, We the people. It's not like these conversations aren't being had. These conversations are being had. We see voters every single day talking about the types of candidates that speak to them, Candidates who can talk about the future, candidates who have a vision, candidates who have, you know, fire in the belly. To meet this moment and treat this moment like it's the five alarm fire that it is. Treat this moment like we have an authoritarian in the White House who's sending the military against its citizens. We have to treat it with that, with that seriousness. But I want to be very clear with folks. I want people to think about this for a second, which is why I'm being careful you know, I chose to run for a specific gig within the Democratic National Committee, and there are a lot of people who look at me and say, Malcolm, you always talk about, you know, don't wait your turn, your young guy running running running for office. The reality, though, is this, we do not want officers of the DNC trying to make all of these decisions. We don't want that. We don't want that. And people think they want that right now because because there's somebody who you think agrees with you, who's there. But Malcolm's not going to be by sheriff of the DNC forever. And what if the next vice chair of the d NC says, know what, the progressives are the problem with everything in the in the party, and we're gonna do everything we can to get them out of the party. You know that's wrong. I want to see a party that is run by the people, and the people are making their their voices heard. People are stepping up every single day to run for office. I mean, I saw a run for something talk about the amount of people who've signed up with them to run for office. And I think the best thing that I can do is to say, in no uncertain terms and repeat to folks that if you want to run for office, you should step up and run. I think these conversations are, you know, conversations that we that we should have. If we're going to make life better for people, we certainly have to be willing to have tough conversations as Democrats. But I should not be trying to dictate those those conversations, you know. And it's very rare that you have political leaders that don't think they should be in charge of everything. I don't think I should be in charge of everything. I think that I should be listening to what voters tell me to do, and what voters want me to do right now is to make sure that we can win. And a part of why the Democratic Party is not one, in my view, is that we've treated ourselves for too long like we exist to throw a big party every four years and just elect a president. And we've changed that. We're investing a million dollars a month in state parties, the single largest investment out of DC into state so we can do year round organizing. We started this program like the Blueprint, so every day at ten am, we're prebudding all of the lies that are going to come from the john S Brady press room where this lady gets up with her cross and then says everything that Jesus would despise, and the list goes on and on. So I have a job to do, and my job is to build the infrastructure so Democrats can and can win. I want to make sure they win. I want to see younger leaders step up to run for office, and I want to see leaders who have fire in the belly to step up for run for office. And I want all of them to be talking about my three words on how they're going to make life better for working people and working families. I think that's what voters want to hear it too.
Speaker 1: Frankly, thank you, thank you, thank you, Malcolm.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. I really appreciate this opportunity.
Speaker 3: No moment.
Speaker 2: Jesse Cannon Molly friend of the podcast, Mary Ziegler has a great article on Slate about how the GOP keeps losing public abortion votes.
Speaker 3: So now it's trying a new angle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, choice is popular, you know it's popular. The GOP put abortion on the ballot a bunch of times, and every time abortion wins. Missouri is an interesting state because this is one of these states where they've been using it as a test case for anti choice legislation. They had a ballot initiative which enshrined creating constitutional reproductive rights. But because it's Missouri, the legislators are all Republicans. It's a Republican supermajority. So even though voters want to enshrine reproductive rights, legislators don't because they're all Republicans. So instead of doing what the voters wanted with the ballot initiatives, and we saw this in Florida too. Right in Florida, they wanted to restore voting to felons and the government was like, no, fuck you, we're not going to do it, even though you voted for it. So that's what's happening here. Missouri is going to try now to pass a ballot initiative which will overturn the most recent ballot initiative. This is like yet another Republican's hate democracy moment. Right, they lose, they don't care, They just cheat. When you realize that trump Ism is an extension of this, when you realize trumpsm doesn't happen in a vacuum, that the party that jerry manders, that the party that does not accept losing a ballot initiative that that party. Trump Ism is the natural progression of that party.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. Thanks for listening.