Speaker 1: Welcome to Boss the territory, ladies and gentlemen. Red Sox lose here eight to four, record falls to sixty five and fifty seven. Story of the game here at tonight for me, Jake Bennett, You know, I feel like you're maybe getting to a point here where he's gonna have to start making some adjustments.
Speaker 2: Right. This guy was cruising along.
Speaker 1: You're thinking, man, oh man, this guy could actually get you know, maybe quite a few Rookie of the Year votes. The last couple of outings, though, have not been as crisp first time, not making it at least five innings. It just goes to show how good this guy's been, you know, being a rookie. I mean, the fact that this is first start, not making it five innings, that says something right there. But a bad fourth inning did him in. Looked like he lost a feel for his change up.
Speaker 2: Later on, he was leaving.
Speaker 1: Too many pitches over the zone, a lot of hard contact ninety two miles an hour average exit from the Pirates off him tonight. They kept driving up the pitch count on him, and then eventually Geovanni Moran gave up a three run shot to an old rival in Brandon laus So pretty much at that point the game was put away.
Speaker 2: But with Jake Bennett, I'm.
Speaker 1: Starting to think, here, he's gonna have to work in the sweeper a little bit more. He's gonna have to work in some breaking pitches.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Listen, the four seamer sinker change up. It's been a really good combination for him this year. But he's only got seven percent sweepers on the year. I mean, you can only go so far with three pitches, right, you know for a rookie. Yeah, you know, maybe you can get away with that a little bit. Once those scattering reports, you know, start getting updated, and then once other teams out there start seeing what you're doing, you're gonna have to start switching it up a little bit. They're starting to pick up on him, and I've gotten that sense over the last couple of outings. And when you don't have full command in your favor, like with him tonight, leaving a couple of pitches over the zone, that's when batters, especially at the major league level, are going to take advantage. And I'm you know, I'm starting to think especially against righty's right against lefties, he's had a ton of success against lefties normally hitting one to eighty one against him, with a four to thirty four ops against right He's still not like amazing numbers, hitting two forty five six forty four ops. But I think he's gotta have to start mixing in a little bit more, especially against the righties. So again needs to be I think a little less predictable. What he's been doing has worked up to this point. Works up great with the four seamer up in the zone, does great with a change up below the zone. He works in the sinkers in zone to get those ground balls. But again I think just incorporating more of a breaking pitch is going to help him a lot over the final six or seven weeks or so of the season. But the offense, I mean, it wasn't a bad night for the offense. You end up scoring four here, but once again, like we've seen over the last week or so, not really able to come up with runners in scoring position. Over the last seven games. They rank thirtieth in Fangraft's clutch, which is basically how well you're doing in those high leverage spots. They ranked twenty seventh in batting average with runners in scoring position and twenty eighth in ops with runners in scoring positions. So you know, they're getting the guys on, they're getting the hits, they're getting the walks, but they're having a hard time coming up with these timely hits. You just saw today against Bubback Chandler, they.
Speaker 2: Just couldn't really get anything going.
Speaker 1: Like you, had opportunities that you know, we saw over the full month of July where man, they're able to just just rally off just a whole ton of stuff, and you're not seeing that. You know, I'm not saying you need to be exactly like that, but you know, time and time again here over the last week or so, you get opportunities that start, but you're just not able to finish.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You're able to get the plane off the ground, but you can't fully land it. I also wasn't not a big fan of this lineup here tonight. I've said it the last few days or so. I'm not a fan of Masa at the top of the order. I know, SETI wasn't in the line up here tonight. You know, SETI, You're gonna have to give him some days off, Like the guy plays every day. This is why you bring in someone like Eli White, right, but not a fan of Masa batting second. I know he came up with an RBI bas hit in the ninth inning there. But to me, I don't know, I've said it before, I think he's better more so after the meat of the order. To me, Masa is a perfect guy to have in the five or six spot of the lineup right. He's not the guy that you want to count on for that production. He's more of the guy where I want him backing up the heavy hitters in the lineup right, giving them protection. That's what I think Masa does well. He works the counts, He's able to foul off pitches, and you know we've seen him, you know, come through in spots, right. But I don't want him on the number two spot.
Speaker 2: I just don't.
Speaker 1: I know, Rushman has been pretty quiet since making his Red Sox debut, But to me, you know, with the track record that Rutshman has, I'd much rather him in the number two spot. Would that have made much of a difference tonight, Probably not, But you know, just wanted to get that that thought across. Other than that, you know, not really much here tonight. So GARB with a couple of RBIs will You're with a double. You put together a little something in the ninth inning against Yates, but again not able to get the rallies together. You felt like the momentum the air came out of the building a little bit earlier in the game. You get a will your double, Wilson before that got on base, and then William gets a double into the gap and Eperson's sending Wilson home from third base, and I'm thinking, why, I get it. You got a couple of outs. You're trying to make things happen. You're trying to force the defense to make a good play. But it's Wilson Contreras. And I'm not even talking about the injuries here, Like, yeah, I know he's been dealing with some stuff, dealing with a hamstring lately, but he's not you know, Yeah, the guy's gonna dog it out there, but he's not gonna give you a whole ton of sprint speed.
Speaker 2: So I didn't agree with the send there.
Speaker 1: I can understand the point of view where you want to force the defense to make a good play, but in that situation it gets back to what I've said. I like aggressive base running, but you gotta have the good awareness with it. Wilson. You know, yeah, he'll put it one hundred and ten percent. But I'm I'm not gonna be counting on that guy, especially coming from first home.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Just was a little iffy about that, especially when you got Durbin coming up next, who just had a good game yesterday. I get it, you got two out, so you want to try and you know, force the issue. But Durban's been hitting great and he just had a Grand Slam yesterday. Why not give him the shot right there?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And that's a guy that obviously makes a lot of contact.
Speaker 2: You know, the Red Sox.
Speaker 1: What have they done well over the last month and a half or so putting the ball in play? When you put the ball in play, who knows what can happen. So I would have rather Wilson held up there and then give Durban a shot.
Speaker 2: That's just me. What do I know.
Speaker 1: I'm just a dufus that sits at my desk. But again, final score here tonight, Pirates win eight to four. I'm gonna be pretty quick with this one here tonight, ladies and gentlemen, I goodness, this was a frustrating watch here tonight you had someone in the stands in Pittsburgh yelling swing every single batter. It was driving me nuts. I can't stand people that do that. It's such a pet peeve, such a pet peeve of mine.
Speaker 2: I can't stand that. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Anyway, whatever, I worked out for the Pirates, but I was just over this one here. Now. Luckily we did have some good news. We did have some good news. Roman Anthony a little bit more of an update. Nothing really crazy new, but Shag Tracy did speak about Roman here, said he doesn't think a rehabit signment is going to be this weekend, but they are getting closer. Also said it's not necessary for him to come back to Boston before the rehabit signment. Says he has a good setup, has a good thing going in Fort Myers right now. I say, don't even mess with that right now. Even if he's got a fly out of Florida to you know, get with Triple A or whoever, to get some AB's.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Come back to Boston when you're ready to play major league games. Roman also Trevor story ikf at Worcester currently getting in on some workouts there. I would imagine so a rehab assignment for story is imminent at this point. I imagine it's probably going to be early next week. Speaking of the wuss, Christian Campbell staying hot. His twentieth double of the year here tonight. Five doubles in his last five games. The guy's red hot. I mean, you know, it's funny because I was saying when we got Adly back in the lineup, I'm thinking, all right, cool, there's a bit of a spark right well, still looking for a bit of a spark here. You gotta wonder, man, do the Red Sox at some point, I know, you got to kind of figure out like where he would play, where he gets in, Like how does he fit? But man, if he keeps hitting like this, you wonder could Campbell get the call at some point? My gut tells me he's more of like a September call up at this point, because really you do have to figure out where he works in because you know, obviously with Roman coming back, you're gonna have a lot of guys in the mix. You've already got a couple of right handed bats and Eli White, Jami Jones. Could he take the place of possibly Jami Jones? I don't know, and Eli White is more of the defense. Speed can play all three outfield positions, so I don't know. Like it's the guys just red hot. Keep paying attention to Christian campbell Man, he's been doing great. Also, Red Sox Royals Field of Dreams game in twenty twenty seven. Very excited about that. I see a lot of people, a lot of the trolls out there saying, oh, there's not even gonna be a twenty twenty seven season. I'm not buying that, not buying that at all at all. You got to remember, look at how contentious it got back in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: I mean, goodness gracious. I mean, and then you didn't lose games. Then.
Speaker 1: I know it's a little different this time. You got the salary cap, you get all that talk coming right now. But I think in the end they're gonna figure something out. You got too much to lose at this point. Anyway, different conversation for a different time. I'm excited for the Red Sox to be playing in the Field of Dreams game next year. That's awesome. Field of Dreams one of my favorite movies of all time. Very excited about that. I actually would love to go to that, even if I'm just a fan. I mean, I would love to go to that. To be able to get coverage, to have media coverage of that, that would be amazing if I could get that opportunity. We'll see whatever. No matter how, I end up watching that game, very excited for it. Really cool. They had a good presentation on Netflix last night. I think they did a pretty good job. Let's get to it, ladies and gentlemen, let's get to it.
Speaker 2: I did see a.
Speaker 1: Super chat in here. We are going to get to that by the end of the show. Let me get through this very quickly. Let's get to Jake Bennett. I mean, I pretty much said what I need to say about Bennett. You saw the usual mix here tonight for seemers, sinkers change ups. First inning, he had a one two three also shout out Eli White made a great running grab out in left center. Guy was on a full sprint, ran into the wall a little bit, very good catch from Eli White in the outfield, and he strikes out Reynolds on a sinker inside. But then the second inning, Rafael Flores Junior with a home run fourth of the year, made it one nothing remember he was a Yankee top thirty prospect a little while ago. He went back to the Pirates in the David Bednar trade. That's a guy who I think is going to be pretty solid guy that gets on base well and he can do a little bit of damage with the bat as well. You see it firsthand here tonight. But then after that, even after the home run, he still struck out three as Merlin Baldez on a good change up, LAO want to change up inside, Mangum on a sinker inside. So Bennett, despite the home run there was still fine, had a one two three third inning. But then you get second time through the order here and the Pirates just had him. Picked up Simon with a bass hit. Reynolds Valdez back to back, back to back doubles made it three nothing. He left a change up middle of the zone to both these guys. So again, it's kind of like when you're really only working off tonight two pitches basically. I mean, he went with the sinker nine times, but you know, I wouldn't say that he had a heavy usage on that. So when you're coming fastball change up and you're leaving change ups over the zone, I mean, when when they're when you got basically two pitches to guess off of, and yeah, when you leave one middle of the zone, good chance they're gonna do damage on that. So again, getting back to my point, you gotta start switching it up a little bit more, you know again, you know it is a good change up, right, It's very good lao. He ends up striking out change up, down and away. But then Rafael Flores Junior doing some more damage base hit made it four nothing. He threw him four straight fastballs, like you know, again, back to my point, just looking predictable. Triola with a walk after that, did strike out Henry Davis, but that was it for Jake Bennett. Four innings, five hits, four earns, six strikeouts, one walk. So hopefully they can get into the lab here, well not hopefully when they get into the lab here, hopefully they can maybe switch some stuff up a little bit, right, go with a bit of a different game plan next time out for the bullpen.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know you already we weren't completely out.
Speaker 1: Of it at this point, right, I mean, but Giovanni Moran came in for the fifth inning, he just had the command was not there with him, Nick and Zaliz. He gets hit in the helmet. Scary moment. Don't like to see that. Ronnie Simon, he did strike him out, gives up a base hit to Reynolds. He bounces back with a strikeout to Valdez. But then Brandon Law an old friend, an old rival of the Red Sox with it during his days with the Rays, home run, makes a seven to two hung a change up right over the middle of his own and that was pretty much it. At that point, Ali Gamba shout out to him. He did save the bullpen here tonight went three innings. He gave up another run in the seventh inning. A couple of base runners got on Durban with a bad throat at first base. He got charged with an error. Runners scored made it eight to three. But with the offense, I mean, I've pretty much already said my peace on that. Bubba Chandler. You know, you saw a glimpse of what this guy can be. There's a reason he's one of the top pitching prospects in the game, one of the top prospects coming in to the year. You see, the guy's got electric stuff, he's got good v low man, he's got good secondaries. It's just a matter of putting it all together with him. He sat down nine of the first ten batters. The fourth inning, Massa with a strikeout, Rutsman with a ground out, but then Wilson bad exploded infield base hit and then will You're twenty fifth double. But like I said at the start of the show, wilsonton freers. He's on first. Wilson with a double into the gap, Eperson decides to send him instead of holding him. I like aggressive base running, but you gotta be a bit more aware. In my opinion, that's just me. I'd rather have Wilson stay at third base with Durbin coming up.
Speaker 2: That's just me.
Speaker 1: But he was thrown out at home and that was it for that rally. But you did have a rally. In the fifth inning, Durbin and duran with walks. Monastery with a base hit made it four to one, so Guard with a sack fly made a four to two bad pickoff attempt from Chandler. Ball goes into the outfield. Monasterio moves over to third base, but then Massa flying out. Seventh inningk Duram of the Bass hit Monasteria with a walk Eli, White beats out a double play. You got runners on the corners, so Guard with the base hit again. Not a bad night at all for so Guard. That makes it seven to three. But then Massa striking out. Adlee actually got into one a little bit. That was nice to see because Adlee has not really done too much for the bat, but he got into one.
Speaker 2: Looked like he just missed it, and you could.
Speaker 1: Tell he dipped his head as soon as he hit it out to deep center. Maybe just a like one little centimeter of a difference with his swing that it could have changed things a lot. But he flies out again. You added on another run. Massa with an RBI base hit in the ninth and made it eight to four. But Montgomery comes in closes it down. Pirates win eight to four. Taking a look, ladies and gentlemen at the standings, so again the Red Sox sixty five and fifty seven. You're now ten back in the East. You know, man, we were getting revved up. Man, you were five out at one point. Now you've dropped five games in the East. So it looks like Tampa is gonna run away with this thing. They've won nine in a row.
Speaker 2: But looking at the wild card.
Speaker 1: You know again, luckily, this American League is just no bueno, and you're still holding on to the second wildcard spot very firmly. You're five games ahead of the third wildcard spot. You got the Tigers, the Rangers at sixty and sixty two, tied to the third wildcard spot, Twins at sixty and sixty three, half game back, Blue Jays right there, one game back, Guardians a game and a half back, Orioles a game and.
Speaker 2: A half back.
Speaker 1: I mean, you got the Mariners three games back. They're historically like a second half team over the last few years or so. This American League wildcard brace. It's gonna be very interesting over the next six or seven weeks. Man, it's gonna be uh, it's gonna be interesting to see how that all turns out. But let's get to our Game two preview, brought to you today by Fox One. Alrighty, Sonny Gray going up against Jared Jones here tomorrow, another young gun for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Jared Jones, remember he just came back this year after getting arm surgery. Sonny Gray, not a bad adding last time out, not a baud outing at all, even though you ended up not getting to win. He didn't have run support there. He went six innings, six hits to earn four strikeouts.
Speaker 2: I don't think he.
Speaker 1: Pitched bad whatsoever. All Right, blue Jay's team that's been playing a lot better as of late. Tough team to work against. What No matter what picture you are, I think he did pretty well. Looks like he's got himself fully back on track over the last couple of starts. He ran into a couple of bumps there. But Jared Jones the story with Jared Jones, we talked about this the other night. You're gonna see the good stuff, right, He's gonna give you a lot of v LO. He's gonna sit in the upper nineties. He's got good expected numbers. He's getting a lot of swing and miss. He's not walking a ton of guys. He has a good strikeouts Walkery Shiel.
Speaker 2: The problem has.
Speaker 1: Been the home run ball, giving up a lot of hard contact thirty first percentile with his average eggxit V low forty third percentile, with the barrel percentage forty fourth percentile with the hard hit percentage. Combine that with a thirtieth percentile ground ball rate. Yeah, that's sounds like a recipe for some damage there he has on the year, he's giving up one and a half home runs per nine. That ranks thirty six out of one hundred and fifty six qualified or not qualified sorry, one hundred and fifty six pitchers with at least fifty innings pitched, or one hundred and fifty six starters with with fifty innings pitch. Goodness gracious part time getting that one out, but obviously giving up a lot of home runs. So the four seam fastball with Jared Jones, he's giving up six home runs. He's basically just leaving this fastball over the zone too much, very high in the zone, middle of the zone. It has not been an effective pitch for him this year. You know, sliders he tends to.
Speaker 2: Leave in the zone.
Speaker 1: Change up has been pretty good for the most part. He goes down to the zone. Curveball who throwed a few times. Yeah, you're looking to do some damage off the four seamer. Maybe he can hang a slider. You're looking to do something tomorrow against Jared Jones. So hopefully Sonny continues the good pitching as of late. And then don't forget you still got Paul Skeins coming up next. Don't forget about Paul Skeins. He'll be pitching or actually, hold on a second, have they okay, no, no, it is.
Speaker 2: Paul Skeens schedule for Game three.
Speaker 1: Uh. We did talk about him a little bit in the last episode. He has been struggling as of late that the Velo has been down. People have been speculating if it's like an arm injury.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I think if he was hurt, the last thing the Pirates are gonna do is keep him on the mound.
Speaker 2: I I mean.
Speaker 1: With how much control he has left, and obviously how good the guy is, I highly doubt they would be keeping him on the mound. And even if he would say to the training staff, no, I'm good, you know they're gonna They're gonna check him out no matter what. So I think it's more of a mechanical issue. I'm not exact actually sure what that could be. I have seen a couple of things out there that he might be throwing across his body. A little bit more, we can actually take a look here. Let's look at this together, shall we. Now when it comes to the arm slot, let's see now, his arm slot is Actually it's higher this year. The last two years it was at twenty three degrees. This year it's at twenty six, So I wonder if that could be contributing a little bit. So that tells me something mechanically is going on with the Skeins. He's not feeling quite his usual self and obviously the results have not been great. He has been getting hit or not been great lately, has been getting hit harder over the last few starts. So Paul Skans at the end of the day, he's still Paul Skins. The guy is still really good. Hopefully the Red Sox can figure something out against Jared Jones tomorrow. With that said, I'll be right back. MLB on Fox is streaming on Fox one. The Race to October starts now. We have your front row seat to the wildest walkoffs, lights out pitching, and clutch plays all season long. Follow every can't miss match up his team's battle for a spot in the postseason. Then stream the twenty twenty six World Series live on Fox one at home or on the go, live or on demand, never miss a moment. Stream now. Start your Fox one three day trial today at foxwe dot com. Alrighty, let's get to the super chat, shall we? Carl? In sixteen games with the Wu Socks, Franklin, Aarius has hit three zero eight with a nine thirty two.
Speaker 2: Ops.
Speaker 1: Do you bring Arius up at shortstop and move modistereo to second once Robin is activated and takes over left field, There'll be no holes in this line, you know, you do dream if Arius keeps up that production and then Roman comes back and he's healthy and he's fine, and he's back to the Roman that we were all hoping and waiting for this year. I mean, you got a lot to dream about right there. I think, listen, at the end of the day, I am a believer that whoever is producing, that's the guy you gotta lean on. I will say, though, Trevor Story, they are clearly going to give him every opportunity in the world to hang on to the shortstop position for the rest of the year. You just can't help but wonder is there going to be an opening for Arius at some point, because obviously the guy just looks ready, He just looks at least worthy of a look, I mean at least, So it's gonna come down to what is Story looking like over the next couple of weeks. And I have talked about this. I have said, because you also have to think of postseason eligibility, and you haven't til the end of the month. I have said this. I think I said this like over the last week or so. I said, like, listen, I wouldn't be surprised if they call, they get story back, they see how he's doing for the next couple of weeks, and then you kind of go from there. Right. I think, regardless, you still give Arius, uh, definitely a you would least talk about calling him up before then, because that's a guy that could maybe help you in the postseason, regardless.
Speaker 2: Of whatever the role is.
Speaker 1: Even if a story comes back and he's hitting well and he's fine, and you know, he's looking like the story from twenty twenty five, I think you could still even have the conversation of Arius coming up and you know, being another infielder for you. So I wouldn't completely shut the door on Arius even if story.
Speaker 2: Is playing well.
Speaker 1: But obviously if story is not playing well, then yeah, why would you not give Arius a look? So I think that's where I get back to the point. I think there's a good shot I'm not gonna say it's a slam dunk, but I think there's a good shot that Arius he'll get an opportunity of some kind, whether that's as a backup or whatever, just at second base. Well whatever with Monasterio. Obviously he's been hitting great over the last month, but you know, with Mona, do you kind of save him more against the lefties? Right, which was what his original role was. So regardless, I think Arius is going to be in the conversation no matter who's performing, who's not performing, because the guy is hitting great. He can't deny it, you know. And it's not like he's only just showing a couple of good things, right, He's doing well against different types of pictures. He's making good contact, he's hitting home runs. Like what else are you to see? And Phoenix of the chat, you say, put Mona at second it's been a black hole. I know, it feels like second base. They just they cannot seem to figure out second base. It's always this revolving door. I like when Soguard gets in because I like so guard. That's a guy I just like to have on my team. But could that be a spot for Arius?
Speaker 2: You know? And then so.
Speaker 1: Guard Mona, they maybe become guys, you know, off the bench. So I don't know, it's gonna be interesting to see how they do it. But yeah, I am definitely dreaming of the possibility of how this lineup could be with Roman back healthy, with an Ari call up. You know you can't help but think of Bogarts in twenty thirteen. Nothing is ever exactly the same, but you kind of just wonder, right, Bogart's eventually taking over in the postseason, came up big for the Red Sox that postseason, and you know the rest was history. Right, So again, no matter how it unfolds, I think Arius is going to be in the conversation regardless. So everybody, I'm out of here. That's all I got for tonight. I'm gonna wrap it up right there, quick and easy show for tonight. We'll be back here again tomorrow. Obviously, let me check the game time for tomorrow. We'll be here around the same time, seven to fifteen start time, so we'll be here around ten o'clock Eastern time tomorrow, Ladies and gentlemen, we'll see you then. DA