Speaker 1: Good afternoon, Steeler Nation. It's The Drive live on location Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. Of course we are high atop Chuck Nollfield as always, are all part part of me of our ongoing training camp coverage. West Ruler and Matt Williamson with you. Hear Matt on this Friday. Where a little bit different of a day today on campus, very different, a little yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was shocked when I walked in. I should have known these things, but it was.
Speaker 1: Weird, very different of a day here on campus and with everybody. I was leaving the hotel and there were a bunch of Steeler fans coming back to the hotel and I was like, huh, well, let's going I should maybe check my phone and see what's going on here. And what happened was with some weather in the area this morning, they actually ended up closing campus because of some concerns with lightning and things like that. And there is yes, there's a lot of areas here in the grass and on the hill, but there's also metal bleachers right in.
Speaker 3: Front of us. We're high up too, and a lot of open.
Speaker 1: Fielded areas where obviously you don't want any weather conditions to affect the safety of the general public. So the Steelers closed practice today to the public. Matt and I and and you know, all of our sn R people were still here. You still had the reporters and the journalists you know, down on the field taken in practice. But yeah, Matt, a little bit different of a of a practice today with no crowd on hand, and kind of a closed practice in that sense where you know, like you and I aren't even really supposed to report what we saw unless it's been confirmed by the coach or the players or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so these next couple hours, we will not be telling you, boy, we saw a lot of this formation today or personnel groupings or this guy made an incredible catch or this guy through a million interceptions or any of that stuff. We're not a loud It's the way labs describe it to me is this was treated like a in season Wednesday practice before.
Speaker 3: You when you're playing.
Speaker 2: Yep. Yeah, just and not everybody's privy to speak about it, and it's not open to the public. Also, gonna tell you too many secrets. But most of the good action was on field too correct, which made it really hard to see too, because they were trying to save this field because of the weather. But one of my big takeaways, and I'm giving this the coaching staff way to credit too much credit, but they've really done an unbelievable job of navigating the rains. Like I woke up thinking, oh, this is gonna be in the endoor. I had not any of those things. And I come walking over and there's nobody hearing, Like, what's going on? I assume it's in the indoor.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: And then as I'm walking to the car when practice ends right like they timed it perfect. I mean, like again, I'm giving the coaching staff too much credit. They don't control the weather, but there it just shows how on top of things are, Like when they say the practice is gonna be over at one oh six, it's over at one oh six, you know, like we're gonna be done right before the rain. It was on my way to the car. It rain.
Speaker 1: It was nut, It really was. They it worked out very well today. I do think that's part of uh, maybe part of the reason why they moved practices earlier this year. Yea, whether just see more volatile in the afternoons around here than it does in the mornings, but today was certainly one of those days. But the Steelers still able to get their work in, albeit in front of a I was gonna say some closed doors, but that's a funny concept when you're in a wide open college campus right here.
Speaker 3: But you're right, Matt.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I woke up this morning, and this is what I do this time of year.
Speaker 1: Is kind of the first thing you do is check the weather report, you know, after you kind of rub your eyes and get out of bed and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I was actually woking up to rain and thunderstorm ian.
Speaker 1: It was loud, it was I slept through it, thankfully, but I would but I look. I opened up, but looked out my window and it was just soaked everywhere. You look at your phone and it's like thunderstorms are expected to begin around eleven. That was the report this morning. And it was like, oh no, and same as you. I thought for sure.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, I's like maybe it won't even go over because I'm not sure if we're even allowed to watch in the indoor, and like, how can I find this out?
Speaker 1: I was about to I was think of the same thing, like I was going to text you in labs and be like, hey, it looks it looks like I'm probably gonna move this inside, Like are we going to be able to observe? Because remember folks in the past, when weather has where's the Steelers inside? They've gone to the gymnasium here on campus.
Speaker 2: And no reporters.
Speaker 3: No media, no nothing.
Speaker 1: Heck, we probably couldn't even fit in there because it's a pretty pretty tight almost looks like a high.
Speaker 3: School gym, you know.
Speaker 1: And oh yeah, old gymnasium here at Saint Vincent, whereas now they have the big, brand, spanking new and fancy recreation center here on campus that has I think it's a seventy yard in door.
Speaker 2: It's not one hundred, it's not one hundred. It would still be tight with almost one hundred football players, coaches, media, you know.
Speaker 1: Which is why I was thinking. I was like, and again, hey, maybe be able to well knock wood. Maybe we won't have to cross you know, that bridge at any point here in this training camp. But I was thinking the same thing. I was like, are we gonna be allowed to see anything? Should I just should just should I just go back to bed and stay in bed here? Am I gonna am I gonna drive over there for nothing? But yeah, like you said, fortunately we they have been able to get every practice in haven't had Tomember anything inside.
Speaker 2: You haven't had to find out if we're allowed in the indoor.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, And I hope I never have. That's what I say. That's what I mean.
Speaker 1: I hope we don't have to cross that bridge this training camp. Although the next week or so looks like there could be some weather elements, but obviously we will. We'll keep all that stuff updated for you. Yeah, and everything's going on, Oh, they sure are. And tomorrow night of course a big one. Hoping for some good weather for everybody coming out for Saturday Night lights tomorrow in over at a Latrow Memorial and.
Speaker 2: We'll be our regular program.
Speaker 1: We're on three six, all the same, all the same SNR programming here.
Speaker 3: Does it start at six o'clock tomorrow Saturday night?
Speaker 1: So okay, For some reason I felt like it was always a little bit later, but you're probably.
Speaker 2: Right being dark. But I look today and I think it was six okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I know they'd like to do the fireworks and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it works as well, so such a good times.
Speaker 3: It certainly is it's a it's a spectacle.
Speaker 1: I mean they get ten, twelve, fifteen thousand people out there, and uh and yes, certainly we hope that the weather holds.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow night for one six It is six o'clock.
Speaker 1: According to a producer, Brian back at the ranch, there you go, So Matt and I will have your three hour Saturday Night Lights pregame show perfect tomorrow night before we do get to break here, Matt. One thing that we can talk about from today because it was it came directly from Mike McCarthy and his media availability. Maxie Honatcher did not did not practice today, But according to Mike McCarthy quote, I think we might not see him until Monday, but he is okay.
Speaker 3: Great the fact that he's saying.
Speaker 1: Hey, we might not see him until Monday, and Monday's only there's only one practice now between now and then Sunday.
Speaker 2: They're off folks, Fine, right, right, right, that's great. I mean, that's dodging a huge bullet. Shouldn't put him back in any way, shape or form. Again, not speaking for the coaching staff, but we knew know these guys always side on the side of caution, especially this time. Of year with injuries. Maybe if they were playing the Ravens tomorrow, huld suit up, who knows, you know what I mean, But it's not serious being precautionary. Give him a couple of days. Perfect dodged a huge bullet. Wonderful because they think he's a wonderful player.
Speaker 3: I do too, and you and I were talking.
Speaker 1: I think it's a not a question of if, just a matter of when. He is the Steelers starting right tackle, and hey, a more elongated absence could have pushed that down the road. But hopefully maybe he misses two practices here and then he's back to start the week next week.
Speaker 2: You'd hate for Lake how Faltani started his career, you.
Speaker 1: Know, like absolutely, that'd be tere even someone like Derek Harmon who missed a nice chunk of time.
Speaker 3: I've had some bad luck with these first round draft picks.
Speaker 1: Let's get that mojo moving back in the right direction. Matt and I have got plenty more to get to. There's a couple big contract extensions that were handed out in the league in the last what twenty one hours since Matt and I were on air, And I've got some fantasy football heavy stuff that I want to hit with our fantasy football guru here, Matt Williamson today as well. So plenty of ground to cover here over the next couple hours as we are, of course, live at Chuck Nolefield, Saint Vincent College in Latro, Pennsylvania, West Uler, Matt Williamson, It's the Drive all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Network.
Speaker 2: Steelers Football happens here the Pittsburgh Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Pretty good week here, good few days for top end running backs around the National Football League. Yeah, of course, the Colts Jonathan Taylor inking an extension a few days ago, as did the Falcons Bijon Robinson, which made him the highest paid running back in the league. But not for very long, Matt, because that's how these things tend to work. Because yesterday, right about the time that you and I got off air, actually, it was announced by the Lions and Jumior Gibbs that they had agreed to a new three year contract worth about sixty seven and a half million dollars, fifty one and a half million of that guaranteed, also the potential to go up to nearly a seventy six million dollar contract, so about nine million dollars in incentives in that for Jamiir Gibbs that he could earn as well, and he is now Matt the highest paid running back in NFL history. Bjeon kept that throne for all of about twenty four hours before Gibbs became the highest paid.
Speaker 2: So I find it funny, but I also think him, and I mean, if you like Bjeon, Beteron, Gibbs like gives burn Bijon, you know, potato potato, I think one right now, I do too. I mean they're the first two picks in every fantasy draft. They're in entering the prime of their career, They're the focal points of their offenses. I think Bijeon's the better player, but again, Gibbs would be my second choice, and Taylor would be behind those guys who also signed a big deal but didn't quite. Bijeon was first. Taylor got slightly less, which I would have been shocked if he got more. He just doesn't offer as much.
Speaker 3: And he's a little bit older too, right, yeah, right.
Speaker 2: What I find funny is I'm good Gibbs and Robinson know each other. I'm sure their agents know each other. That they both just sit around and play chicken and be like, I'm gonna sign one for a dollar more than you whoever signs first, and we're in. Then the scheme of things, one percent difference on such a big contract means nothing, you know, to the amount of money coming in. But it is kind of an ego thing, and it's kind of the highest marade running back we.
Speaker 3: Saw with TJ. Watt and Miles Garrett.
Speaker 2: For a right, right, right. I find the whole process kind of childish and funny.
Speaker 1: Though it is, it is hilarious and honestly, Matt, can we draw some parallels to that right now with what's going on with the defensive backs that are waiting for their extensions?
Speaker 3: Is it like yeahs and.
Speaker 2: DJ Turner with the Bengals. He won't get quite as much as the other guys.
Speaker 3: But even like Christian Gonzalez, Devin Witherspoon.
Speaker 2: Weatherspoons the other one talking about Joey Porter.
Speaker 1: Junior, it's like the three of them just kind of sitting around and wait, no, you.
Speaker 2: Go right, yeah, no, you go first, Because like Denz a Ward of the Browns signed a huge deal but only two years and he's noticeably older than those guys. So it's a little bit of apples to oranges. So you know, Porter's agent can't go to the roonies in the front office and be like, we went the ward contract. Look, yeah, but you're not the same, better or worse. In some ways, you're worth more because you're younger. You're also not as established, you know, So I don't know. The whole timing of it all is interesting. I wish I kind of knew that the business a little bit different better than that in that regard, I'm.
Speaker 1: With you, but it's just so fascinating because we see that happen all the time, this kind of waiting game, waiting process, and uh and yeah, and so we get the Bijon News yesterday, the Gibbs news, well, sorry, Bijeon news two.
Speaker 3: Days, Gibbs Taylor yesterday yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly right, And so a lot of moving and shaking in that department.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: In the for the kind of high end running backs in the National Football League who have who have found themselves getting getting some nice bumps. That's some Matt and I talked about a little bit yesterday more in depth. WHI was just kind of the how the running back market has certainly improved, but it's still not quite what you would think it would be for some of these top end guys. But a really nice pay day for Bejeon Robinson, really nice payday for Jonathan Taylor, and then and then Gibbs becoming the highest paid running back in NFL history. And I tell you what, it's hard. It's hard to argue. I'm with you. I would if I could have one of the two, I would pick Bijeon. I'd give him the slight edge. But like I said, I think there, I think they're clear cut one and two right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the labs. I had a fun conversation while, you know, while we were waiting for practice or during the downtimes about these contracts, and he mentioned I hadn't thought of this, but James Cook of the Bills recently signed I think it was right after the season, and his is like twelve million a year, And at the time was like, boy, that's a lot of money for a running back that was like four months ago. From what I remember, my timeline might be a little off. He's not quite to their level, but he's still really young coming off his first deal. Right, Ultra productive and then he's probably like, if I held out three more months, I'd probably get eight million more.
Speaker 3: He's making about twelve.
Speaker 2: He's making aboutimsell right, I mean he's get at least eighteen if those guys are getting twenty plus.
Speaker 3: He's the twelfth highest paid running back in the NFL.
Speaker 2: James, and he just signed that deal. Yeah, Usually people go pass you over and over, So I found that funny. I just think the whole running back market, and we talked a lot about it yesterday. We don't have to go down that same road is really intriguing right now because we know everyone's playing with lighter boxes too high. Teams are running the ball more. If you're gonna play lighter boxes, we're gonna hand it to our dude. The whole planet knows that it's mostly a bad investment to use first round picks on running backs. But the more and more I think about it, I'll give you cap space for running backs. I mean, Derek Henry hit the free agent market, Saquon Barkley, Josh Jacobs, they all changed the face of their team just two off seasons ago. They did. Kenneth Walker just went to the Chiefs. So these are all the best guys in the league. And if I can get Kenneth Walker for the same price, I can get too too out. Well, what are we talking about here?
Speaker 3: It's an absolute no brainer. I'm with you on that one.
Speaker 1: That is something that that Matt and I dug into a little bit more yesterday at another a big contract given out here recently to a big man four year deal for Buffalo Bill's guard Osyrus Torrance.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't see that.
Speaker 1: Okay, four years, seventy eight point four million dollars, forty six million of that guaranteed. It makes him the NFL's seventh highest paid guard.
Speaker 2: That one shocks me a little. He's a good player. He was a second round pick, so he don't have the fifth year option situation. I think he was drafted one year ahead of McCormick, which is noteworthy here because I think they're kind of similar players. I would say Torrance is above them. He's worth more, yes, but they're not far off in terms of tears. Both of them came in the league started immediately, have a lot of starts under their belt despite being young. As you can imagine, he is a year he is a year older one year draft draft well, I should say one draft class. Yeah, yeahah, one year of eligibility type thing before you're before it's his time. So and this time next year, if I'm McCormick, I want something similar, and I think Torrance is a better player. But inflation a year from now is gonna go up a little. Assuming McCormick has a pretty good year, he's gonna say, I have three years of starts under my belt and I'm still only twenty five years old or whatever. That's super valuable.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it's a good deal for him, that's good money. Yeah, but it does it starts to make you when we project what this Steelers offensive line could be earning in the next few years, there's gonna be some big numbers and some some some required I think, you know, just salary cap movement in space for the Steelers in the trenches. There if all those guys hit like we think they're going to, like they have.
Speaker 2: The projection they're on.
Speaker 1: Yeah and yeah and absolutely and so yeah, nice nice payday for Osiris Torrance.
Speaker 2: Like you and I both love Mason McCormick, nothing against him at all, but when you see like a Jennings Dunker pick, you immediately think, oh, he's gonna compete for the right guard spot or you can't afford everybody, and McCormick's gonna walk and get your third round compick, and he's gonna be your left guard. Draft a guard again next.
Speaker 3: Year, and listen, this would be a Champagne problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly what. But let's let's go to the not having any guards.
Speaker 3: Let's go down this.
Speaker 1: Let's go down this road where Fultanu has a great year, you want to extend, McCormick has a great year, and you want to extend him because.
Speaker 3: Fraser has a great year, and you want to for the Linderbomb deal, all three.
Speaker 1: Of those guys in the same class are going to be around the same extension time. You do obviously have the fifth year option for Faltanu. Then say, say Jennings Dunker ends up you know, hitting as a as a Mason McCormick type. It starts maybe not maybe not a future all pro, but you know he ends up being a quality above average guard.
Speaker 2: Or even next year. At this time, he's firmly you're starting right guard, and and.
Speaker 1: And Max is firmly your starting right tackle, and and you think he's.
Speaker 3: Really good and one of the best. You know, he's on all those under twenty five all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Next great one, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: You probably can't give off five of those guys massive contract extensions.
Speaker 2: You just can't, no chance, So you know.
Speaker 3: And again that would be a Champagne problem to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hitting on draft picks is what you want. You wish you were doing this with proderct right now, and this started a year earlier.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Now.
Speaker 1: The good news of that is, like you mentioned, if those guys, some of one or two of those guys ends up walking and you and they sign a huge deal, you're gonna get a comp pick.
Speaker 2: Because everybody'sn't want to.
Speaker 1: There's there's a scenario where you could end up trading you know, one or two of those guys too for you know, a second round pick or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for for some of those interior guys.
Speaker 1: So there is, uh, there's good with it, But there's also a lot of consideration of, man, how if all these guys hit, how do we divvy up that pie? Also, what if you, uh, what if you have a young quarterback around that time in the next two or three years that you're hoping uh is is gonna be.
Speaker 2: Is either Alur or Howard or next year's first, probably more likely next year's first. You have under cost control for four ish years.
Speaker 3: Then you could spend a little bit more on the offensive line.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately the Cam Haywards are gonna come off the book too, and those type of things too. It's just a constant flow. And again Champagne problems hitting on your picks. Is you know what you want, of course, and and you look at me like, man, this team's gonna have like the best center tackle combination in the history of the planet. And it might. I mean, that's the plan, but there's phase two of this where you gotta pay we go.
Speaker 1: There's only so much of that pie to divvy up. The Yeah, Unfortunately, you cannot be the La Dodgers in this league. Man, No, and just have everybody as though as fun as that would be for the Steelers in their offensive line here in the next few years. But yeah, a couple a couple more big contract extensions handed out today.
Speaker 2: It's really contract season. I don't remember camp being this contract filled across the league.
Speaker 1: It's it's I'm with you on that. And there's still a lot to come in the defensive back market. There's still plenty there that are gonna be handed out. We could see something happened with Poka Nakua. I mean it's just one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: There's there's still some potential big money extensions out there, but we've certainly seen a few this week as well. That's an hour in the books. Two more hours to go. I want to do a little fantasy football focus with Matt when we return. We're getting closer and closer to draft seasons and all these do not draft lists are starting to be released. I want to run some names by Matt when we return in the four o'clock hour, we'll be back live from campus here. Oh yeah, hi a top Chuck Nolfield, Saint Vincent College, West Shuoler, Matt Williamson. It is all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network, we.
Speaker 3: Bleed black and Gold. This is the Pittsburgh Steelers Audio Network.