Speaker 1: Something strange is going on.
Speaker 2: Who is killing Russian billionaires? Another Russian oligarch has been found dead. Reports suggests that he hanged himself, fell.
Speaker 1: Out of a window, slashed his wrists, was poisoned, murdered his whole family. Last year, more than a dozen Russian oligarchs died in the space of nine months. Many of the deaths are suspicious with links to the Kremlin. This is sad Oligach, an investigation into these recently dead Russian billionaires. It's created by me, Jake Hanrahan and my colleague Sergey Slipchenkok. Sad Oligarch is a H eleven production for Kulso Media and iHeartRadio. We all know about the vague stereotype that Russians love to drink a lot. Russians have long been depicted in Western entertainment as crazy, drunk caricatures who can drink liters of vodka without issue. Now, Russia, of course, does have a big drinking culture, as does many other countries, my own included. Trust me, it's a shallow reflection of a country's fabric to simply rely on these played out stereotypes. That said, this oligarch death is one that sounds like a plot to an exploitative Hollywood film. There's heavy drinking, shamanic rituals, and a dead Russian billionaire with links to one of the largest oil and gas companies in Russia. That company, Luke Oil, is very friendly with the Kremlin. This is the strange death of Alexander Sabochin. On twenty two, forty three year old Alexander Sabochin woke up with a particularly bad hangover. You probably know the kind mouth like a desert eye, is sensitive head splitting into the lot. So Bochin had been up the night before drinking heavily. Sources suggest that this had been one night of many. Subotchin had been on a drinking spree, down in large amounts of alcohol for many days in a row. Heavy drinking had become a problem for him. It wasn't just a celebration, a night out, or a one off. With a head full of drink and stuff to do to, Botching sought out an unconventional hangover cure. Your ravage drinker might double up on a barako or hit the sauna, but not so Botching. He was extremely wealthy, so he paid to see a shaman. As unusual as that might sound to some, the belief in shamanism is something not entirely unheard of in Russia, especially not amongst the country's elite.
Speaker 3: Sergery explains, in Russia, the occult kind of came up as an answer to kind of all the cases been going on. There has been a lot of m morel in Russia. Basically the past one hundred years had three major changes from Imperial Russia to communism and then now to whatever this is. People turn towards this. It's like superstition and things like that. And then like Shawmanism specifically came from kind of the intermingling of cultures. You know, there's a lot of tribes in eastern eastern northern Russia where this is just their way of life for a long long time, and it kind of got, i guess, adopted by Western Russians into something more like mysticism, you know, looking for an answer, looking for alternative ways, they seek healing, They kind of seek an answer of like a more spiritual answer. And basically the Russian lead they see this as like covering all bases, and those who can afford it, they get private sessions, they get private sciances. This is not exactly new. If you look at the last couple of years of Imperial Russia, I think most people know some aspect of the whole respute and story where the tzar's wife was seeking basically any cure for their son who I forget the name of the disease, but basically if he bled or something, he couldn't stop, like he would bleed out to death. Seemingly, the only answer they could find was whatever Resputin did. As far as people could tell, he was some kind of mystic almost t wizard person, right, and they really believe that, like they really got into that, and that kind of stuck around. When there's so much like turmoil, so much shit going on, you just kind of turn to other explanations, you know, the only thing that you kind of think can help or save you. You can't trust the government, you can't really trust the like regular institutions. You turn to whatever it might be that give you that hope or that answer to your questions. But you see this like certain levels. You know, you see celebrities, you see oligarchs and other kind of like up there people who they definitely use the services, they're friends with them. You know, they literally have like celebrity shamans or celebrity mystics, you know, one of the like Primetime Reality TV is a battle of the psychics, and it's essentially like, I don't know, it's like a it's kind of hard to explain what I'm seeing it. It's basically like who's the best psychic? And they have different challenges. They try to figure out murder mysteries. They try to well, I mean according to them, they talk, they do sol murder mysteries, they speak with the dead and such, and somehow they compete for whoever is the best. It's popular stuff like people watch this. I'm sure a lot of people are skeptical or kind of see it as like a fun, kind of dumb show too much, But I think a lot of people do kind of if they don't believe it, they're kind of on the side where like you know what, who knows maybe enough to the point where it is relevant in society. People do get readings. People go like regular people go for readings and stuff, right, and then if you're can to afford it, you can have a celebrity shaman come and give you some kind of seance to get your hangar overcured, and I just guess this time it kind of show that these shamans might not exactly be you know, experts, but maybe grifters who don't exactly know what they're doing and get you killed.
Speaker 1: A revival of shamanism in Russia is something that became particularly popular in Siberia, the large desolate region in the country's east. Journalist Jessin Mater wrote about this in twenty fifteen. He said, quote, the collapse of the Soviet Union, Herald did a religious revival throughout Russia. Perhaps unexpectedly, shamanism has achieved newfound popularity, not just in its traditional homeland, but also across Russia and beyond. Although the Tenjair belief a type of shamanism is originally a practice of the ethnic Burriats who have historically inhabited Siberia, many of the visitors to the temple and some of its shamans are ethnic Russians end quote. This journalist was actually present at one of the more traditional shamanic rituals. He describes two shamans stood on one side of the room, wearing bright blue robes with hats that cover their eyes. Some shamans believe that spirits are afraid to look into the eyes of a human being. The shamans beat drums and chant frantically on the other side of the room. Ritual participants are guided on what movements to make and what phrases to say to follow the rules of the ritual. In this type of shamanism, no type of elixir or medicine is consumed or administered. That's not always the case, stock The head of the s Yamen Center in urkust Vitally Balteyev, has spoken about a rise in Russia of what he calls neo shamanism. Neo shamanism is basically an amalgamation of various different ancient shamanic practices repurposed for people interested in New Age type religions. These ones often involve various mixtures and intoxicants that have to be consumed by the person having the ritual performed on them. This is the kind of ritual Alexander Subotchin was involved in before he died in May twenty twenty two. Subochin sought out the shamanic services of Tino Korda and Magua Floes, also known by their real names Christina Tea Krub and Alexi Pinduran respectively. These two are self proclaimed shamans in Russia. They're most definitely more involved in the new age bracket of this practice. Before this incident where Sebochin died, the two shamans had a pretty sleek media presence online. There are several professional photos of the pair, both white in their shaman get up. One image shows Christina ta Krub dressed in a long patterned robe with a Native American style headdress made of white feathers. Next to her stands Alexi Penduran, dressed in a diamond patterned robe with a turquoise and red fez shaped hat. A black feather is placed into the top of the hat, and Penduran is hitting a large raw hired drum with a wooden club. Honestly, it looks like they're playing dresser. It doesn't help that Penduring can be seen wearing a black hoodie under his shamanic rogue. Either way, the pair took shamanism very seriously on the outside, and they made money out of it. They put in a lot of effort to form their shamanic brand. For example, Penduran's now defunct YouTube channel under his pseudonym Magua Flores has a well produced ten minute long video where he performs a ritual with a more traditional shaman. It has over ten thousand the views. The only other public release on the channel is a very weird cringe music video, which admittedly shows the popularity of the couple. Many different scenes play out with dozens and dozens of people, all of them Western in appearance, attending tea Grub and Penduran's shamanic rituals. On there now abandoned Instagram account, they have a photo in a recording studio with Nikita Jigorda. He is also in the music video Jigorda sixty two is a Ukrainian born actor and singer. He stays in Russia, where he's famous. Jagorda is pro Putin and has publicly celebrated the Russian invasion of Ukraine with particularly bare faced bloodluss. There are even videos on his Instagram account where he's in Zaparija in Ukraine with Russian forces. He's cheering them on to his three hundred and forty thousand followers. He's dressed in full military fatigues and he's throwing his hands up in the air with joy as mortars are fired off with the aim of striking Ukrainian forces who are defending their lands. In the caption, he condemns Ukraine and he says that he's been performing occult rituals on the front line to help the occupying Russian forces. Weird. Needless to say, the self proclaimed shaman's tea grub and pinduring have been operating in some strange circles in Russia for years now. They've also been offering their services to anyone who can afford it. In twenty twenty two, Alexander Sebotchin took part in these services in the midst of a one on one ceremony in the basement of the shaman's home, presumably with incense in the air, several burning candles and abided hat placed on his head, he had toad venoma put into his bloodstream via an incision made into his skin. This was administered by tea grub and pinduring. Alexander Subotchin then had a heart attack. The shamans tried to treat him with valerian a herb Tabatchin soon died of cardiac arrest. Whilst the full autopsy isn't public, it's presumed that the toad venom is what caused the heart attack. According to the National Capital Poison Center and organization dedicated to preventing poisonings, some of the toxins in toad venom, such as digoxin, tryptomines, and tetro detoxin, can cause irregular heart rhythms, dizziness, paralysis, and heart attack. This is what the two shamans injected into the skin of Alexander Subotchin to try and treat his alcohol problems after he'd been on a long bender of drinking alcohol. I spoke to scientists and researcher Jovanna Maxich about the kind of shamanism Tea Group and Penduring were involved in. She has knowledge on these kinds of practices with an anthropological background in similar communities.
Speaker 2: From what I gathered, their type of shamanism seems to be kind of a syncretic mix of already existing traditions. But weirdly, there were not any kind of indigenous or Slavic practices that you would find in Russia today. There were actually a mixture of Afro Caribbean and South American practices. So, for example, the specific toad venom ritual comes from the Amazon. So these people have seemed to really use these mostly South American traditions in their shamanic practices. Shaman Magua Flores his real name being alexey Pin Durin and his wife Tina Cordova or Christina Taikrib. It seems like these people have been running the kind of open house specifically for rich, wealthy Moscow vites to come and sort of indulge in these black magic rituals and drugs. According to a famous makeup artist who actually got involved in a very negative way with the shamanic cup, well, she said that in their house they have a basement where they practice black magic rituals and here they keep animal blood, live animals that they kill and then use for different sorts of rituals, but also enough psychotropic substances and drugs to send somebody to prison for twenty years.
Speaker 1: Remember at the start when I said this case sounds like a bad Hollywood movie, Well, this is where the black magic comes in. Whilst it might sound over the top or how to believe, for some occultism has been making a steady revival all across the world for the last decade. Even the practice of so called black magic, often linked to left hand path occultism. In fact, in Russia in twenty twenty one, a couple who believed heavily in the occult were arrested and charged for committing several human sacrifices. Real ones Olga Bolshakhova and Andre true Jabenko stabbed several people to death in the forest as part of their twisted beliefs. The murders occurred in twenty sixteen, but were kept hidden for five years. It's believed many other people were involved in the couple's occult group, currently there awaiting trial. So whilst this story about the neo shaman's Taikarub and Penduring having a basement for black magic might sound absolutely mental, it's actually quite plausible. Remember the two were pictured with that actor Nikita Jagorda, who openly talks about performing occult rituals. He also has a black son tattoo on his right elbow. The black son symbolizes esoteric fascism and dark occultism. Anyway, let's hear what else Yovanna Maxich had to say.
Speaker 2: So this seems to be kind of like more running institutions, so to say, for the elites coming there to treat their ailments. But very interestingly, this case with the makeup artist is actually really strange because it seems like this shamanic couple organizes some kind of retreat where they invite people to come, and this retreat kind of went badly for this person. So essentially what happened is this makeup artist was flown over to Mexico to go on a retreat with this weird couple and the idea is that they would go there and somehow help with spiritual healing, ailments, you name it. And what happened, according to her report, is that already in the first couple of days, the couple started getting drunk on tequila and brought all of these like real shamans from Peru and Mexico and started being kind of aggressive and violent towards this makeup artist. One of the main reasons why they wanted to go there is so that they could do this ritual that actually involves toad venom. So that's something that you know, was the acclaimed cause of the death of Alexander Subuchin. But this ritual called cambo is actually comprised of making incisions or burns on a person in and then adding this toad venom, which kind of like creates convulsions, vomiting, and after that you feel kind of like spiritual enlightenment or healing if you survive. If you survive, yeah, because people have died actually by you know, the wrong use or just irresponsible use of this cumbo ritual. But what happened to this person is she noticed that, Okay, things are dodgy, this is weird. They're becoming really aggressive and drunk. So she called her husband and she tried to leave the retreat, but when she tried to do that, the couple allegedly beat her up, and then when she wanted to go to the police and report what happened, the couple basically like blackmailed her and claimed that they're going to kill her with different drugs and chemicals, and also that they have many enemies that they know how to eliminate very easily. So nothing really happened in this case, but it's out there and it's been documented.
Speaker 1: They're probably making quite a bit of money, right, I mean, Subbortching himself was an out and out billionaire, an oil barren. Essentially, they must be making quite a lot of money to be in these circles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. I mean, I'm certain, and also from the reports that exist, it sounds like a lot of different very vip and wealthy people were mingling in this house and coming in buying, so it must be making bang right.
Speaker 1: So on one hand, I'm thinking, well, this might actually just be a coincidence. It's a case of misadventure. For some reason, this Russian billionaire went to this weird dodgy ritual. Yes, his company has ties to the Kremlin, but maybe this one was a coincidence. Why would they kill him with frog venom? But there is a history right in Russia of people being knocked off, assassinated with strange poison, strange concoctions.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, This is actually a famous phenomenon called the Liternoe or like literno assassinations. So as we know, in the Putin era we've seen a lot of these strange poisonings and murders of different political opponents and writers. But in Stalinist Russia, these types of killings were specifically framed as Liternoi killings, and they were secret, disguised liquidations that were often staged to be natural deaths or suicides. So the NTVD, which was the Soviet Union's Interior Ministry. They're the factor Walter Kivitski who killed many for Stalin and then was himself in a fake suicide. He said that any fool could murder someone, but it takes a true artist to stage a natural death from disease or suicide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think it's a stretch, particularly if we look at, for example, Alexander Livignenko was poisoned for essentially wearing that book blowing up Russia, various people infected with polonium put into their tea. I don't think it's a stretch personally to think. Yeah, perhaps Putin has tried to carry that.
Speaker 2: On, Yeah, totally. But really for this shaman case, I'm really not sure what to think. There's so many weird coincidences, but it does look pretty possible as well, because there's already documented cases of people dying specifically from this. But then the question is did someone manipulate the ritual? Did someone know exactly what kind of venom to use? Because if you use the vendom of a different frog, you can kill people much easily. So if you just tweak certain elements in there, or just you know, slide another drug to this, person it's easy to kill, But then why would they kill him? That's the question.
Speaker 1: That is the question. If Alexander Subochin was killed and this wasn't just some weird shamanic accident, who killed him and why is there an obvious motive. For most of his life, Alexander Sebochin managed to keep his name out of the media. He enjoyed his privacy. Not much is known about his early career, but after completing his PhD in two thousand and nine, Subochin joined multinational energy u corporation Louke Oil. His brother also worked there. By the time of Alexander Sebotchin's death in twenty twenty two, he was a member of the board. That's a prestigious position to have considering how much money the company makes. Luke Oil, which is headquartered in Moscow, produces more than two percent of all the world's oil and around one percent of proved hydrocarbon reserves. They refine more than a million barrels of oil a day and employ over one hundred thousand people. This is a massive operation that's been going since nineteen ninety one. A Russian corporation with this much clout naturally has links to the Russian government. One of the more direct links, perhaps is Russian oligarch vejet Alekparov. Elekporov, who's of Aziri descent, was the president of Luke Oil from nineteen ninety three to twenty twenty two. He's worth an estimated nineteen billion US dollars and is believed to be the fifth richest man in Russia. Now. As I mentioned in episode one, some of the rich dead Russian businessmen in this series are not necessarily oligach oligaks. Elektorov, however, is one hundred percent an oligach oligach. He's in the top one hundred of the richest people on Earth and had a twenty eight point three percent stake of Lukoyl as of twenty twenty two. What's more, his friends with Putin and was sanctioned by Britain when Russia invaded Ukraine in February last year. In a statement from the British government's official sanctions list, they said, quote through his directorship of Lukoyl, Elekorov continues to obtain a benefit from and or continues to support the government of Russia by working as a director, trustee or equivalent of entities carrying on business in sectors of strategic significance to the Government of Russia, namely the Russian energy sector. Endsco Archived copies of Lukoyl's tax payments to the Kremlin seen by journalist Rob Davies show that the company contributed more than six billion dollars to the Kremlin in twenty twenty alone. Tax documents after that are not available. In April twenty twenty two, Alekporov stepped down as the president of Loakoil due to the sanctions issues. Before this, there had already been trouble after Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Lakoyl's London listed shares lost roughly ninety nine percent of their value. That's a hell of a lot of money. War at that time was definitely not good for business for Lakoil, so much so that they broke ranks with Putin after more than twenty years. Board of directors of Lukoil, which Alexander Subotchin was part of, released a public statement on March third, twenty twenty two, condemning Russia's invasion of Ukraine just one week after it started. For Putin, that must have been a slap in the face. Subochin was still alive at this time and would have been involved in the statement. The board said the following quote. The Board of Directors of Lukoil expresses its deepest concerns about the tragic events in Ukraine, calling for the soonest termination of the armed conflict. We express our sincere empathy for all victims who are affected by this tragedy. We strongly support a lasting ceasefire and a settlement of problems through serious negotiations and diplomacy. The company may makes every effort to continue its operations in all countries and regions where it is present, Committed to its primary mission of a reliable supplier of energy to consumers around the world. In its activities, Lukoil aspires to contribute to peace, international relations and humanitarian ties. End quote. Now, Honestly, I doubt the Board of Directors of Lucoyl care at all about Ukraine, really, but they clearly do care about the company's profit margins. The war began to seriously disrupt that at the time of their statement. However, more than a year after the invasion, Lucoil has managed to weather the storm. As reported by journalist Victor Jack, Lucoil is still actually operating hundreds of gas stations and oil refineries in the EU. This made them a net profit of eight billion dollars within the first nine months of twenty twenty two, when Russia was, of course actively trying to destroy Ukraine. That's more than double the amount from the same time period in twenty twenty one. So Lukoil actually made more money as the war went on, partially facilitated by their work in the EU. This money was of course shared with the Kremlin via taxes, and no doubt helped them to manufacture and purchase new weapons for their continued attacks on Ukraine. Either way, despite securing the bag later on in the year, Lukoil went against Putin publicly as the whole world had its eyes on Russia and Ukraine. Even as a powerful billionaire in Russia, it's not wise to go against the Kremlin for me. After looking at all of this information, this leaves two possible theories regarding the death of Alexander Subotchin. First theory, he was a very rich alcoholic who, like many Russian elites, decided to enlist the help of the Neo Shamans to kick his habit. And get sober in the process, a dodgy ritual with frog venom ended his life by accident, essentially death by misadventure, and two grifters who messed up the concoctions. The timing of the death, Subotchin's position at luk Oil, and their very public defiance to Putin is all just a coincidence. As they say, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Second theory, Alexander Sebochin was on the board of Lukoil when they released a statement against Putin's war on Ukraine. Maybe he was instrumental in that statement. Perhaps Putin wanted him gone because of this, it'd be easy for Putin's people to gather in f mation on Subotchin. Maybe they waited for a few months, heard about the shamanic ritual, and decided now was the time. Maybe they had the frog venom swapped for something more potent, or maybe the shamans were in their pocket and they told them to simply up the dose. Now, personally, I was a lot more inclined to believe the first theory. Misadventures seemed more likely then. As me and Sergey continued our research, we saw that another board member of Lukeoyle died just four months after Alexander Subotchin. His name was Ravil Maganov. He was the sixty seven year old chairman of Lukoyle. In September twenty twenty two, he fell out of a window at a hospital in Moscow. In a public statement, Lukoyle simply said that Maganov passed away of quote a severe ill, with no mention about the four We'll be looking into the death of Maganov later on in this series, but I think at the very least it makes Alexander Subotchin's death a bit more suspicious. Sad Oliger is a H eleven production for cool Zone Media and iHeartRadio, hosted, produced, researched, and edited by me Jake Hanrahan and Sergei Slipchenkok co produced by Sophie Lichtmin. Music by Sam Black, artwork by Adam mcdoyle, sound mix by Splicing Block. Go to Jakeanrahan dot com for more information.