Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: US Energy Secretary Chris Wright speaking with Bloomberg Television anchor and Marie Hordern at the Bloomberg Energy Security Executive Briefing. Let's take a listen right now, blowing off nuclear bombs right now, let's just forget about it and move on. But he wasn't willing to do that. He was he said, we have to solve that problem. I'm not going to hand my credit my successor a nuclear armed to Ron. And so there's dialogue back. Of course, you know they for forty seven years, they are wedded to being to becoming nuclear armed and for whatever crazy reason, to export their Islamic revolution and change the whole world. Everyone converted or dead. It's an ideology that doesn't work well with other nations, with other people, and of course disastrous for the ninety million Iranians that live under that regime. So that's sort of the broader backdrop.
Speaker 1: I guess it's just hard to understand if is this a real inflection point, only because the President has said about forty times then since this conflict started that we were close to a peace deal, and then a peace deal never happened.
Speaker 2: Iran says things that they'll agree to, things that work for us, and then they don't, you know. And of course, look, the regime is fragmented, there's different power sources there, so it's a complex situation. And he's a negotiator too, right, So you've got to understand the communications share information, they also share messaging. But the one piece of leverage, the only piece of meaningful leverage Iran has had, has been to interrupt the flows of energy flowing out of the Persian Gulf. Right we had twenty million barrels a day round numbers flowing out before the conflict started through the East West Pipeline and the UAE pipeline. Close to five million barrels of that has been diverted. We've got increased production. It was pretty easy to do a few other places. I think in round numbers you had maybe a fourteen million barrel a day flow gap, which is a big flow gap of oil going out of the going out of the gulf. At the start of this conflict or early on in this conflict. We have a military effort that we've not talked a lot about that started more recently to get cargoes out, you know, because we President Trump said at the beginning, they're not going to have a newcre weapon, and we'll restore energy flows in the United States whither or without Iran. He always prefers the diplomatic arm and he works tirelessly on that. But we also have the we have the most powerful military in the world. We've destroyed most but not all, of their military capabilities, and we're just going to restore flows ourself. It flows today a close approaching half of the gap, and their rising. Ultimately, we will restore flows with or without them.
Speaker 3: So seven million bars a day are getting out right now.
Speaker 2: That's a rough estimate, rough average of where we are right now, and it's rising.
Speaker 3: So what kind is this oil?
Speaker 2: Is it products makes the tube?
Speaker 3: And it's being done with the US military?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: So are ships turning off their transponders or is the military escorting them?
Speaker 3: Is it by how air? Is it by suh?
Speaker 2: Most of them? It's hard to transport crude by air well, but I mean protective. But but yes, the military protection is there. It's actually it's actually going remarkably well. And of course this is just the US innovation, US military power solving a problem and h and we'll continue to solve that problem. So think of that impact that has on the dynamics if I'm in Iran, And of course what are they They're not concerned about Iranian people, right They're concerned about their regime and their selves personally, so they have a little bit of a narrower focus on what they care about. But they've thought they have this great leverage over the United States of America. Of course there isn't really leverage over US. It's leverage over the world economy. But they're losing that leverage right now. They are rapidly and will continue to lose that leverage. So you would think that their urgency to do a deal is rising, and it is rising they realize, you know, the jig is going to be up before too long. What can they get?
Speaker 1: How much Iranian crued is getting out right now?
Speaker 2: Zero?
Speaker 3: No Irunnan crew is able to escape.
Speaker 1: So this deal were to happen, would the United States let Iranian crewed go through the straight up FROMOS.
Speaker 2: Well, it depends on the deal, but of course that is a that is a give. We would certainly be willing to do absolutely, you know, if Ron gets rid of their nuclear program achieves what we want us to do. Yeah, their creud would be allowed to flow again, absolutely, so that.
Speaker 3: Of sanctions basically on Ronnie and oil.
Speaker 2: Their crude was flowing before, you know, during sanctions. Unfortunately, the same thing in Venezuela. You know, the world puts sanctions on then the world doesn't enforce the sanctions because it's hard to enforce sanctions. But if you really believe in the sanctions, you need to enforce them. So you could see partial lifting of sanctions on Iran would likely be on the give side for the United States.
Speaker 1: According to Iranian press, the deal says within thirty days, the street would open, the blockade would be lifted. Is that your understanding? And if it is true, what does it look like then in thirty days, if we're already getting seven million barrels through, how much higher could you see the flow rate?
Speaker 2: I mean, the flowage would return to whatever's commercially you know makes sense there. So, but you know that you're clearly going to see after this conflict people to say Iran can never play that card again. You'll probably see some new pipeline infrastructure built. You'll certainly see continue to innovates in military technology from the United States to defang more easily and more quickly Iran's ability to interrupt the flows as they've done there. But yeah, before too. Certainly, after an agreement is reached, you'll see free flow of traffic of all products out of the golf or whatever. You'll see that either way. If there is no deal with Iran, eventually we would restore that militarily full flow as well.
Speaker 1: Prices have been relatively depressed given the intensity of the conflict. I believe we're down twenty percent on Brent since April. Prices this morning we're in the eighties. What is the driving force behind this?
Speaker 2: It's amazing the difference in attitude and positioning of a president. President Trump came into office and said, I want lower energy prices, I want more energy production. I want to embrace American allies around the world and the Persian golf energy producers. I should never call it person golf, the Arabian golf. I slipped up there. But the Biden administration, you know, you know, scorned them, said We're going to end the hydrocarbon industry. You know, just that rhetoric, that chilling rhetoric, that shunning of our allies. When Russia invaded Ukraine, there was almost no interruption of flow of Russian cruit. There was natural gas via pipeline into Europe, but there was not a meaningful reduction of Russian oil or oil product exports. And we had gasoline prices a dollar a gallon higher than than we have today with this large interruption of flows. I think that's President Trump's leadership in saying we care about energizing the world, and we're going to do whatever it takes to supply the world. You know, obviously we were released, not just in the United States but around the world stocks from strategic petroleum reserves fed two extensions of the Jonzac Waiver to allow crude supply from the Gulf Coast where it's coming from your region.
Speaker 3: Well, you do another extension. Actually, that's an audience question.
Speaker 2: It's we'll do whatever it takes to keep energy prices as low as possible for the American people. California has chosen to impose on their people wildly high gasoline, diesel and electricity prices just crazy, and so a lot of people would say, well, we shouldn't care. That's a blue state. We're here for three hundred and forty million Americans in every state across the country. So the Jone Jack Waiver has been enormously helpful for California in the West Coast, the northeast coast of the United States as well. So it's allowing the free flow of that traffic that we turn back on a platform producing fifty thousand barrels a day offshore California wells are already there, infrastructure is already there. It grew California oil production by twenty percent. That's a big deal. That's a meaningful amount of flows, and it sends a message that this administration is going to help the flow of energy around the world. People are surprised they're oil prices throughout all this have not gone to the extreme levels many expected.
Speaker 1: Isn't also because China is cutting some of their imports.
Speaker 3: Was there a conversation.
Speaker 1: Between the Chinese and the White House about this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of conversations between the White House and the Chinese, and I won't talk about that. But you saw at the start of the conflict, China was a massive They actually stepped up their purchases of crude oil, and as you see now they're in a very different position where they've stopped building their spr they've turned down some refineris. China has been a meaningful part of the of the balancing force in this crisis.
Speaker 1: There was a recent Washington Post article actually was yesterday about oil executives telling the White House and warning them that potentially prices are going to go higher soon, or living on inventories.
Speaker 3: Where do you see the inventories right now? How low are we?
Speaker 2: You know, it's different in different places. It's different in oil inventories in the last few weeks in a arising and so in the United States we have stepped in to fill this void. We've seen incredible response from American oil and gas companies, not just raising production but raising refinery throughput to a significant scale. In fact, if you look at the May data, the United States was by far the world's largest export of crude oil five point four million barrels a day, Russia a little over four million, study Arabia a little under four million. But United States producers have stepped up and from our reserves and from other stores to try to supply not just America but the world. But we've also had the benefit of you know, average gasoline prices in the US a little over four dollars a gallon. It's a little under ten dollars a gallon in Europe and in Asia. So we've been much We have not been completely isolated from the impacts of this, but we have been much more isolated than everyone else that's leaning in and being pro energy. That's Trump administration energy policy.
Speaker 1: Has there been an ask or pressure in the White House on the industry to produce more.
Speaker 2: Pressure is the wrong word, but but of course we dialogue with industry across all sectors in this economy. We're not they're pursuing some crazy agenda, as unfortunately the Biden administration was. We're there to engage with American businesses and help them grow their businesses, whether they're building artificial intelligence factories or new manufacturing plants, or oil and gas or coal or electricity of any kinds. We want to see America thrive. We want to see energy production increase. We want to see prices that consumers go down. We want to see competitiveness to do business in the United States grow, higher wages, lower costs.
Speaker 1: But there is a concern that potentially if we're running low on inventories and say we don't get a piece deal this weekend, and we're back to potentially strikes or this linger. The President in a recent interview said it could be closed until September. Then what happens if we get higher gasoline prices.
Speaker 3: In America closer to five dollars a gallon.
Speaker 2: Look, we've done everything we can since the day it started to both fix the existential problem. A nuclear armed Iran becomes a much larger threat to energy supplies, to peace, to commerce that people just don't appreciate how critical that issue is. So to solve that fundamental problem, it's coming at disruptions, it's coming at some costs. I think the Trump administration has managed them fabulously well. I think we'll continue to do that. We may use different levers going forward, but we will do everything we can to get through to achieve the fundamental objective that we will not fail on.
Speaker 1: So what kind of levers? There's rumors months ago about an export ban. I know you said that's not happening. That will never happen.
Speaker 2: No export bans, No export bans. A couple of reasons number what we produce more than we consume. So what do we get shut in our wells and reduce our production down. That number two is a large part of the Trump administration diplomacy is to make America an energy superpower, which means to be a reliable supplier to our friends and allies abroad of oil, of natural gas, of coal, of next generation nuclear power plants, of fusion energy technology. We want to develop energy resources in this country to benefit Americans and to benefit our trade balance abroad, and support our allies so they don't have to depend upon an unstable hostiles.
Speaker 1: There was a recent Reuter's pull that showed eighty percent of Americans say the current gas prices are straining their household budget. Is the administration still pushing congres look at a gas tax holiday, especially over the summer.
Speaker 2: Trade offs in all of these issues, but the overriding objective is lower energy costs for Americans across the board. Is that a s I mean?
Speaker 3: Is it still one of the tools in the toolbox.
Speaker 2: It's possible. It's possible.
Speaker 3: Do you think Congress has the votes? You probably have to do it before the midterms.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, my bigger effort, my bigger effort right now in Congress is permitting reform. We want to leave behind as much permanent change as we can, so we won't go back to the energy foolishness we suffered under the Biden administration and it began under the Obama administration. We just got to stop this mindset that's somehow making energy expensive in the United States and exporting our industries is somehow going to save the world from climate change. I've been looking at data and studying climate change for twenty years. It's just amazing how that issue, a real issue, but sort of a slow moving, actually not that big deal of a problem, has just become so politically dominant among the left in the United States and of course across the board in Europe. I think we are moving that tie back. Just got to get back to focusing. It is human big thing.
Speaker 1: You hear a lot of Democrats now, especially ahead of the midterms, especially out of twenty twenty eight, saying we should focus energy more about using an all of energy approach because they want to talk about affordability, less so about climate change. When it comes though to policies that the United States could do besides the Jones Waiver Act, anything else that you think could be pretty short term on the horizon for this summer.
Speaker 2: Things we're talking about, but not We look through ideas and decide if they're viable, and we'll come out and engage in that. But of course it is a constant dialogue with energy producers here. How can we be helpful like the you know EPA, we change the regulations for blending for gasoline this summer. That's going to meaningfully increase America's ability to produce gasoline with our existing refinery capacity. That's going to be helpful.
Speaker 1: There's also the drawdown the spr Do you have plans to refill it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's another I would say start contrast, the previous administration sold two hundred million barrels of oil without an interruption of flow around the world, trying to push down prices for a midterm election. We've not sold a single barrel of oil. Every barrel of oil we have released has been a trade. It's been an exchange for a barrel coming back. And the exchanges we completed so far this is not the current ones that are going on right now. I don't have the data on them, but today every barrel we've released, we've gotten one point two eight barrels coming back. So that's thirty five to forty million barrels of additional crew that'll be in the SPR at no cost to American taxpayers.
Speaker 1: Where do you think the SPR will be at the end of Trump's term?
Speaker 2: Much fuller than it was before we arrived. I would like it to be completely full. That's what it's there for the first price.
Speaker 1: Level that you would want to go out and fill it up more.
Speaker 2: If there was I certainly wouldn't share it. But but but also it's not as simple as that. You know, you've got to get money from Congress to fill the SPR and that's very challenging. There's not a great political constituency that wants to spend money today, you know, to prepare us for a problem way down the road, which is exactly why no previous president would take a RAN head on, like in the short term. It's disruptive fixing long term problems. That's tough to do in politics. That's a unique thing about President Trump. He has the courage to take on this Iranian issue where all the news is short term. He's terrible, Iran's winning and all that's all it's all wrong, it's all nonsense. We are living with higher energy prices. He takes all the negative, but people don't, certainly in the media in general, don't think about these long term issues. He's engaging in a long term strategic issue that's going to better not just the Middle East but the world for generations to come. And he's taken whatever the heat comes, you know, through a higher prices. But I think he's managed that quite well. So there's impacts are real, but again less impact on prices than just the foolish policies and rhetoric of the Biden administration.
Speaker 1: Do you think the psychology has changed? It used to be that OPAQ, Saudi Arabia, now the UAE has left, was the swing producer, the central bank of oil.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't it be the United States?
Speaker 2: Well, we produce far, far more than Saudi would be. In fact, you know the way people report one hundred million to one hundred and five million barrels of demand, that's liquid fuels. KRUDEL is the biggest component of that, but it's just one piece of that. If you look at total liquid fuels, the United States is twenty four million barrels a day of production in a world of about one hundred and five hundred and six million of demand. So yeah, we are the big dog in energy production, but it's all by businesses here. We don't decide at a government level our production levels, so we never play a role as a short term swing producer. We do lean in as we are right now. But I think Saudi Arabia's role in the oil markets likely will continue as it has. They have been willing and with a few partners, but mostly Saudi Arabia, they have played a sort of central bank role of oil. I think the net impact of that overall has been positive.
Speaker 1: But do you think their hand has been weakened with the amoradis leaving the group?
Speaker 2: Sure? Sure, sure, less less oil will be controlled in that Opek fashion. UAE is a major oil producer, super successful economy in that country, and they're investing and growing their productive capacity. Kuwait is leaning in and growing their productive capacity. People are just getting out of this silly mindset, like the goal was to hit peak demand for oil, right and then we're all, that's seven billion people that don't live like us, Sorry about them. You know, It's just crazy how much how far off a human focused and a a focused dialogue we're in I'm thrilled that the world is swinging back to common sense. It's thinking long term. We need massively more oil in the world, massively more natural gas, massively more energy to continue to grow our economy, to reindustrialize our industry, and to lift everyone's standard of living up around the world.
Speaker 3: An audience question. Also thing I'm curious to.
Speaker 1: Get your take on, is American investment regarding Venezuela.
Speaker 3: I was there in krocacy.
Speaker 1: You were the first secretary to go to Venezuela since the capturing of Nicholas Maduro.
Speaker 3: What is the status now?
Speaker 1: When was the last time you spoke to Delsea Rodriguez? Do you expect more American companies to go produce?
Speaker 2: There lots of American companies going down there, a lot of business we are working. My team and including myself is in regular communication with Delcea. You know, twenty five years go in the wrong direction. You know that that's it is. As another case, amazing how low it's sunk, eight million people leaving, millions leaving Venezuela to go to poorer countries. So you know, is it Norway today? It's not Norway yet, But the pivot that change into the improvement in the conditions in Venezuela is going quite well right now. A lot of work to be done there, but oil exports out of Venezuela have more than doubled since January second of this year, so that's also helpful. And of course, when most of the American refineries were built in the sixties and seventies, Venezuela was the largest export of oil in the world, third largest producer, biggest oil exporter, so a lot of our refineries were built to handle those lower cost, high viscosity cruds. So it's great news to see that production growing. I think you will see tremendous growth in Venezuelan production in the coming years.
Speaker 1: Another question from the audience is about the surge and power demand for data centers.
Speaker 3: Why is the Trump administration.
Speaker 1: Not embracing all sources of power, including renewables.
Speaker 2: Well, embrace beds. You view the word embrace. The wind subsidies went on for already.
Speaker 3: President Trump doesn't like windmills.
Speaker 2: No, he doesn't like windmills, but he doesn't look a lot of people don't like windmills. You know, the public pushback across the heartland of America, and certainly in the coastline of America against wind power has been enormous. And the other thing put in context wind power, think of how much money has been spent on that. It's one point five percent of global energy and everywhere it's got deep penetration. You know, Germany, Denmark, nowed came to the most expensive electricity prices in the world. Does President Trump want to have the most expensive electricity prices in the world. Absolutely not, absolutely not. And the people look at this stuff wrong. They think of electricity like gasoline or oil, where you can store it and sort of use it. Because it doesn't work that way. So we look at the data. Oh my gosh, if you add up wind and solar last year, you know they were sixteen or seventeen percent of electricity. They're meaningful for American electrons. Why don't we get more of those electrons on the grid. That's not the way to think about electricity. Electricity is all about what's the most efficient way to deliver at peak demand time. When we had that cold winter storm Fern that came down the end of January, probably the greatest test we've seen of the East Coast electricity grid at peak demand time on January twenty seventh in New England. In the evening, two percent of New England's electricity came from wind, solar, and batteries combined. Three percent of New England electricity came from burning trash and wood. Right, that's if you're there in the middle of the day when we don't really need you, all you're doing is saying some other producing source certificate it's a natural gas power plant has to turn down. You know, you're not adding to the capacity of the grid unless you're reliably there at peak demand time. And we as Democrats, have pushed a little bit more heating to electric electrification, which is a horribly bad idea. It's a guaranteed way to make heating much more expensive, and we can't put nearly as much energy through our electricity grid as we can through our natural gas pipeline network. But in case, those policies are happening, so peak demand times are more and more going to the winter. You know, think of in New England and New York States. Solar's irrelevant in the winter. And when you get a large cold front that comes in, it's a high pressure air mass that just sits there. Well, wind goes away too. So all that stuff you built, all those associated transmission lines, they don't add anything to the productive capacity of the grid. They produce electricity some of the time, but that's not what matters. You have to be there at peak demand time. We're going to put on new AI data centers and reshore manufacturing. We have to increase our capacity to reliably supply at peak demand time. We want to do that as economically efficiently and as quickly as we can. We're doing everything we can to get nuclear going. That's coming. We have reactors already go critical. But in the short term, in the next few years, it's going to be natural gas. It's going to be expansion of existing capacity. We're restarting three large nuclear power plants. We're uprating a number of power plants. We're changing some foolish regulations. The only reason we didn't have to close the schools in Florida during that cold front is we said, all that massive amount of backup generators, turn them on, don't wait till the lights go out we have a blackout, and then turn them on just for your store. Turn them on, and that's added capacity to the grid. So we're having to do some creative things so that we can enable reshoring of manufacturing here, meet this rising demand for AI, and ultimately just change the way decisions are made at FURK and hopefully ultimately cross state utility commissions. We changed mandate from affordable reliable electricity for Americans in American industry, and we just got off track and the country just went crazy, as Europe did, thinking somehow tweaking the American electricity grid was going to change global emissions. Just a colossal mistake.
Speaker 3: This is a more sophisticated answer. So the President saying, the windmills are not.
Speaker 1: Good for the birds, So I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: I just my final questions.
Speaker 1: I think I was the first reporter to ask you if you were going to go to Venezuela, and you said yes, and then you went Would you be the first secretary to maybe, I don't know, go to Aman and see vessels come through, or even maybe go to Iran?
Speaker 3: At some point.
Speaker 2: It's funny or early on in this crisis, that the President, who has underappreciated great sense of humor, we were all right dinner, I don't remember we were, and he said, have you told Lizia going to Iran yet? He did say that. He did say that, so you know who knows again. The goal is to drive progress. The goal is to drive improvement if we get a reasonable resolution, and we're impluenting something certainly possibility.
Speaker 3: So come on that trip with your secretary, right. Thank you so much for joining us.