Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey you welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I'm Joe McCormick, and we're back with Part three in our series on the Swaro cactus of the Sonoran Desert. Now this is part three. This is a series where this episode will make a lot more sense if you go back and listen to the previous two episodes first, but do briefly refresh. In the past couple of episodes, we talked about the natural anthromorphism of the swarrow, We talked about how slowly it grows, we talked about its biological adaptations for surviving in extremely arid conditions, and we also talked a bit about its history and nomenclature. And today we're back to finish up the discussion. But before we get into the meat of today's episode, rob I wanted to briefly come back to a question that I asked you in part two. Since you have recently visited the Sonoran Desert. You were there among these cacti and you went hiking, didn't you.
Speaker 2: Yes, a couple of times? Yeah, Okay, so.
Speaker 3: You're out in sorrow country. They're all around, Yes, yes, yeah, And I asked if you noticed the cacti making any noticeable sounds. The main thing I was actually wondering was do they creak like trees in a forest when the wind blows. I couldn't get a very clear answer on that. Some people kind of say they do, just googling, But in the time since the last episode, I went looking up questions about whether sorrows make sounds, and in one sense the answer is yes, because the main thing I actually came across was a post from the National Parks Trust talking about how when the wind blows, if you stand close to a sorrow, you will hear a hissing or high whistling sound, which is apparently caused by the wind into flowing around its ribs and through its spines. Sot a whistling cactus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I wish I had thought to listen for this. Namely, the soundscape that I remember is, you know, more like the you know, we would hear the wind and the breeze, rather, you know, the crunch of rocks and pebbles beneath one's feet, that sort of thing. Bugs, insects, sometimes bees.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this is generally true about the desert, but just from personal experience, I remember being in the desert in the American Southwest was one of the quietest places I ever remember being in nature. So I, you know, did some hikes when we were in Big Ben National Park in Texas, and that's a beautiful desert landscape, but I remember it being quite striking. There were times when I would like hike out and you know, the middle of a trail out there'd be very hot and I heard just like nothing. It was like more quiet than I ever remember anything being anywhere outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is a stillness and to it, for sure, And you know, some of the hikes we were doing, we were not that far from civilization and you could you could see it. You could see like the housing developments in the distance and so forth. But even then there was still something secluded feeling about it. And some of that might tie into some of the details about the environment that we'll get to here in a bit. Oh cool.
Speaker 3: So I know, later in today's episode, we wanted to focus on human uses of the sorrow and its many products, but before we get to that, I wanted to briefly take a detour to look into a biological mystery about the soorro and some atypical soorrow anatomy, and this concerns what's known as the crystate or crested soorrow. So in the first episode we talked a lot about the anthropomorphic shape of the cactus. Who's got this straight column in the middle like a central tree trunk. And then when the in the case of a mature plant, it usually has arms branching out from the central column and then a single point at the top. So the central column just goes straight up and then it terminates in a slightly tapered, rounded tip. But on rare occasions, instead of a central column or a branch terminating in this round, tapered tip, it spreads out, sometimes wildly at the top, like a fan or like a peacock's tail. So I've got some pictures of this for you to look at in the outline here, Rob. And so this can happen to the central column of the cactus, to the trunk, or to any of the cactus's limbs. And this is especially interesting when paired with the human anatomical analogy, because a crested central column can look very much like a crown or maybe hair or a hat, while a crust the limb can look like a waving hand on one of the arms. So in most of the pictures you see when you do an image search, this crest is at the top of the central column or at the end of a limb. But a cactus doesn't necessarily or doesn't even usually stop growing when it develops a crest, so quite often you will see further columns or limbs growing well out of the fan formation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very impressive looking. It almost kind of takes on a more of a coral appearance, or I guess you could compare it to psychedelic art in some respects as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a kind of wild, fractal radiating pattern. So interesting historical fact, the first known photograph of a crested suarrow comes from an unexpected place, not Arizona, but Chicago in eighteen ninety three at the World's Columbian Exposition, also known as the eighteen ninety three Chicago World's Fair, which we've done whole episodes about in the past. So this was a weird, fascinating historical event with lots of strange exhibits, you know, some very ahead of their time. And others kind of quaint historical oddities now, but one of the exhibits here was what was known as an Arizona Territory display. Oh so, they had shipped a bunch of flora from Arizona to Chicago for this display, and one of the cacti that they harvested and brought to Chicago's for the people to see is a was a rare crested sorrow. And I've got a picture for you to look at in the outline here, Rob, So we've got a black and white photo with this big house with columns and then all of this Arizona plant life positioned out front in the garden, including some regular soarro cactus right just you know, just regular looking columns. But then one of them is this beautiful strange fan shape right at the top. And they I was watching a section about this in a PBS documentary and it mentions that the cactus, we don't know what happened to it, but it almost certainly died from this transportation process, especially once exposed to the cold weather in Chicago.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I mean just the process of moving it and trying to replant it as almost certain doom. Here I was doing a little reading about this yesterday, about the various protections that are in place for the soarros in Arizona especially, you know, you know, to keep people from messing with them, harvesting them, moving them, you know, unless there is a you know, a certified reason for it and you have a permit for it, because yeah, they're just not gonna just can't do this with the full grown soorrow.
Speaker 3: So yeah, rip to that crested tomorrow.
Speaker 2: But I mean you can see they're like roped in place, really.
Speaker 3: Shackles around it. Yeah. But fortunately, despite the fact that they are pretty rare, this was not the only one. There are you know, hundreds or maybe thousands of these things out there, and they are actually people who they make it a hobby. They're like crested toorrow hunters. So they go out hiking in touarrow country and try to find and document the locations of known crested plants. And we should note that suarrows are not the only species that occasionally develop crested tips. This is seen in other columnar cacti as well, but the suarow is the one where it is the most visually striking and mysterious and according to all of the sources I was reading, biologists still do not fully agree on what causes the cresting pattern, so this is somewhat an unsolved mystery. I was reading about the hypothesized causes in a few different places, like the There's a fact page by the National Park Service that identifies a few leading hypotheses. One is that I think this is an older way of thinking, is that it's the result of some kind of physical trauma. Like an older idea was that there were like lightning strikes. Maybe when lightning hits a cactus, it starts cresting. From what I can tell, this is maybe not very widely subscribed to by biologists anymore. Another idea was injury from frost could cause this. But a different idea is that it is caused by a genetic mutation. And I was watching a short documentary on the crested suarows hosted by PBS, which includes interviews with a sorrow expert named Bill peache and Peachey explains that the soarow's normal growth. He kind of compares it to blowing up a party animal balloon, so like a long balloon, you know. He says, it's a long tube that grows by unfolding at the growth tip, and as it unfolds here it creates these plats or ribs that we see along the outside of the cactus, which hosts the spine clusters. And of course those clusters can later turn into flowers and fruit can But these plats can also have developments that turn into branches, you know, they branch out and turn into limbs. And Peache says, quote, what's happening is the control mechanism for what causes the number of pleats is out of control. So instead of occasionally branching, there are multiple branches on a crest and it keeps branching until it can't branch anymore. So that's his idea of what's going on with the growth pattern. But what exactly is the underlying cause?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: What goes back one step from that. Peache argues that the reason the fleet growth goes out of control is due to a hormonal malfunction. So he thinks that the growth batter, the original growth pattern is determined by like a hormonal balance, and sometimes that hormonal control malfunctions. And the reason he cites for thinking this is that the out of control crested growth is not necessarily permanent. Once it starts, it can turn on and off, and he points as evidence of this, He points to examples of cacti where you get a cresting pattern start and then for some reason it stops, and then there is a normal stem or branch growth coming out of the crest which just continues to grow normally after that. And Rob, I've got a picture you can look at in the outline here. Yeah, it's a mature saro with some branches down below, and then up at the top there is a crested section and then out of the crest are actually branching to what looked like normal branches or central trunks.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's Peachey's theory. But again, from what I can tell, experts still do not fully agree on the explanation. So there remains something of a mystery about the crests. But one thing that we do know is it's not a fatal condition. So you know, you might think a cactus like, oh, it's doing something very rare and strange that's causing alterations of its growth. You might think, well, this cactus is doomed. I mean, I guess every plant will die eventually, But a cactus with crested growth patterns can go on living for a long time and it appears to be otherwise healthy. It can produce flowers and fruit and go on growing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just kind of look like the zombies in the Last of Us.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, the clickers. Yeah yeah, crest on the head. Now, there's one more thing I wanted to mention. That was you actually gave me the idea to look into this, rob It's the so called soworrow boot. If you see one of these things on its own, you might wonder how does this come from a cactus. You might not understand how it fits into cactus biology because it looks often like a strange wooden or barkie picture or jug. Yeah, but what's cool is that these structures are actually formed inside the sorrow as a result of excavation by birds. So they are a defense mechanism that forms in reaction to tissue trauma that later can take on lives of their own.
Speaker 2: And this is definitely something that you see a lot when you walk among the soaro as you see this tissue damage from and you see actual sites of birds' nests in the cactus yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The way this works is many birds make nests in the flesh of the swarow, for example, the HeLa woodpecker or the gilded flicker. These birds will pick a spot high up on the trunk or on a branch, and they use their beaks to dig out a hollow in the plant's flesh. So the souarro is tough, but these birds they've got specialized tough beaks and they dig into the flesh and make a hole. And coming back to the complexity of the you know, the kind of many faceted help and harm relationships in the desert that we talked about last time. That was in the context of suarrows and their nurse plants. I was reading in the Yetman at All book that we've talked about in the past couple of episodes. In fact, we should give the full citation again right now. This is the book The Soorro Cactus, a Natural History by David Yetman, Alberto Berquez, Kevin Holteen, and Michael Sanderson from the University of Arizona Press, twenty twenty. But in this book, the authors have a section about the soorrow boot and they're talking about the relationships between these birds that peck holes in the side of the cactus and the cactus itself, and they say, actually, the birds might simultaneously help and harm the cactus. So the harm is pretty easy to understand. They're digging a hole in your flesh. But the book points out they may serve as minor pollinators for the cactus flowers and as vectors for dispersing the fruit seeds. And the authors also mention that the birds may protect the sooro in a way by eating larva from diseased plant tissue near the nest.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: However, the plant responds to this attack on its tissue by the birds, so it can't stop the bird from digging a hole in its side, but it reacts to a hole being dug by forming this dense, hard layer of what the authors call callous or scar tissue around the inside surface of the cavity.
Speaker 2: So it's like, you know, the bird digs a.
Speaker 3: Hole in the cactus, and then all around the inner skin of that hole, the cactus is like, I'm going to make tough tissue now, you know. So this hard or tough inner layer of woody flesh remains after the bird leaves, and then it may be subsequently repurposed by other wildlife, like another bird comes along, like an owl or a kestrel and makes a nest in this vacated sawarow boot. But then after the cactus itself dies, this tough inner cavity remains as a kind of bark like jug or bowl. And this is this is what we end up calling the cactus boot. So the barkie boot stays even after the decomposition of the cactus. And in fact, historically these boots have been repurposed by humans. So I was reading about this in a few sources, but the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum mentions that the thana Authum, the Epima, and the Seri people all have traditions of repurposing the salvaged boots as water containers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not as boots, to be clear, but we call them boots. I don't think anybody's wearing these on their feet, but yeah, it's like it becomes a natural water reservoir. By the way, the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum, located near Tucson, is excellent. I've been there a couple of times. It is a museum, but you might think of it more as a botanical garden in a way like it's mostly outdoors and you're walking among the different plants. There's some animal demonstrations as well. You can see some halina. It's a wonderful place, So I reckon it's another place I recommend if you're visiting the Tucson area, the Holy Heavily. Yeah, all right, well let's continue with this discussion of human beings and the soaro. So well, you know, obviously relatively new classification to Western science. This we discussed in the first episode, but the native peoples of the Sonoran Desert obviously knew about the soaro for millennia, and they had different names for it. So the thana Apham called it the hashan or hassan, and they derive multiple resources from the cactus. We'll discuss some of these, but food, drink, lumber, tools, and shade. The coastal Sonoran people called the Seri call it the Mohepe, and the southern Sonoran Maos and Yaquis people called it the Sagwo. I may be mispronouncing this, but it's sag u o and this would be where we get sa g u a r o soar from. So this would this seems to be where we get the main name for this organism. Now, colonial recognition of the suarro was ultimately sketchy and limited. We got into that a little bit. The authors of these Soarro cactus point out that for a long time the Sonoran Desert was just difficult country for the Spanish. He was far from Mexico City, and people who ventured here generally encountered less than friendly receptions from native people's And so the sowaro is often briefly described it's looped in with other cacti. And there were plenty of Spanish botanists that were interested in the cacti of the Americas, but their work tended to focus on species outside of this far flung and difficult country. Now, coming back to the thana Aphem, there, of course natives of the Sonoran Desert, and they occupied these lands when Europeans first ventured there. They reside here still, though their lands in society were artificially divided by colonial influences. So I'm going to be referring to an older work of scholarship, and I may fall into past tense a little bit talking about some of these practices, but I do want to stress at the top here that we're discussing the people who are still very much around and still very very active in the world, so they do not exist in the past tense. So obviously they have a lot of experience with the Suaro and it has an important place in their culture. That University of Arizona book we've been referencing includes a paper titled the Annual Soarro Harvest and Crop Cycle of the Papago with reference to Ecology and Symbolism, and this was by Frank S. Cross White, which David Yetman explains. The title here uses a now outdated Spanish name for the thana Athham people. They moved away from this title in a firmer sense about the same time that the paper came out, or maybe a little bit after, so it's a nineteen eighty paper, but the name issue aside, is still rather informative and is considered like a foundational work. So cross White wrote that the thana Apham were very connected with the environment, and their charting and perception of time is very much based and is in tune with the ebb and flow of the natural world, as you might expect, and as far as the sowarrow is concerned for them. June is soorrow harvest month, the time during which they'd harvest, process, and eat the fruit of this mighty cactus. May is the month when soarrow's seeds are turning black in the developing fruit, the painful month that still invokes optimism for the coming harvest, and as early as March, rituals are performed and were performed to ensure a good harvest to follow. Some of these rituals involved the grinding of soorrow seeds and placing the results in a basket with quote four pieces of rib from a soaro skeleton, one at each cardinal point. And then they're singing. There's divination and there is a consumption of the seeds. And it's here that he connects this with He points out that he's uncertain if the basket was buried in this ritual, but he connects it possibly to a particular resurrection legend concerning the sowarro that I found quite beautiful and ties in with someone like the deeper mythic anthropomorphism involved with the soarro. So basically the story goes as follows. In this legend, you have a child and this child somehow sinks into the ground. I don't know, they're like pulled into the ground, they fall into the ground, but at any rate, now they are underground. The child's is concerned, and she turns to the trickster coyote to help dig the child out. She's like, coyote, can come help me dig my child out. Coyote, of course, is a trickster spirit or deity pops up in a number of different indigenous belief systems. So okay, Coyote agrees to help, but coyote secretly eats the child during the rescue operation and then gives the remaining bones to the child's mother and just tells her, Hey, someone must have eaten your son. This is all I could find. The mother is, of course heartbroken by this, and she asks coyote to bury the bones for her, and he does so, and from that burial spot the first sorrow arises.
Speaker 3: Interesting, so this creates some deep essential connection between humankind and the sorrows, like the human being is at the roots of the cactus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, and so so this seems to like tie in rather deeply for the fauna awthhum people, where the sonarrows are connected to human ancestors there's a human heritage at play, like in a sense they are people or there is a connection to us. I don't know, It's one of those things that you know, English language may be struggles to put it exactly in the right words that would be accurate. But I was reading that in I believe twenty twenty one, the Fauna Awpham Nation passed a resolution to grant soarro's legal personhood. And also just there's a reminder, Arizona, under state law has it illegal to cut down, damage, or move a soarrow cactus without a permit, So they enjoy protection on multiple fronts within the region of what is now Arizona.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yet yet another reason not to go into the desert shooting them, as we dissessed in part one.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, I mean I thought back on that story too, Like when you consider the idea that the native inhabitants of this area saw these cacti as being you know, ancestors in a certain sense, you know, is having is being so vitally connected with people, Like it makes it even more offensive that somebody would go out and like ram their car into one on purpose, or shoot it on purpose and try to mess with it or drag it to a World's Fair in chicag Right. Yes, yeah, So let's come back to this harvest. So there's a lot of detail given in this paper about the harvest, what it historically entailed, and also how it changed a bit with the advent of technology and so forth. But historically it entailed setting up a camp, like a temporary camp among the suaro in the rocky foothills. So again, this is not an area where the people would be staying year round. They would come here only for the harvest, and they'd have to bring everything they'd need to survive, including water from their winter camping locations that they had been at previously.
Speaker 3: So I apologize if you already said this, But would this be in the summertime, because that's when the main fruiting is happening. Yes, yekay, yeah, so I imagine it's hot. Yeah, yeah, it's hot. They have to make sure they have water, because again we already touched on, you can't drink water from the soaro, not at least not if you're trying to avoid having disastrous vomiting and diarrhea in the desert. So they don't drink the water, they bring the water they have to bring all the water that they're going to use for their own consumption and for the processing of the fruit, which we'll get into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's also pointed out that one of the big things about it too is this is a highly social event, so sometimes you know they're timing it so they're arriving just a little early, so there's a lot of socialization and anticipation of the fruit harvest. So usually it eventually anyway, they'd use horses and wagons and still later trucks, but originally all this would be carried out on foot water to drink again water for cactus fruit preparation, dried jack rabbit beans, and then the author points out by the nineteen seventies you would have things like spaghetti and cold cuts, you know, whatever was more readily available, and the grinding stones and the poles that were important for the harvesting and processing. These would remain at the site year round, so I think they would bury the stone and the poles would just be kind of like placed to the side, and also the olas, the ceramic pots that they'd use. I think they would also try and keep these on sites so they wouldn't have to drag these in, especially again in a time when they weren't using trucks or weren't even using horses and wagons.
Speaker 3: Right, So you'd store the tools of industry because it's not practical or even necessary to take them back and.
Speaker 2: Forth, right and like apparently nobody's going to mess with them, you know, for the most part. And it's also detailed that there was like a fascinating ritual to it here that also gets back to this human connection with the cactus. Apparently each person involved in the harvest was supposed to take the first fruit they harvested, open it up, and I would describe before how it's like this like red pink pulpyness to it, and it's juicy. They would rip this open and then they would apply that red pulp to their heart, giving a prayer of thanks. So this like association between the fruit of the cactus and blood and the heart, you know, it's all rather striking, and it seems like other peoples surrounding peoples that would engage in some level of harvesting of the soaro fruit would also have engage in a similar practice. Joe I included a photograph for you here various Photographs can be found online of the fruit of the soarrow being opened up. But yeah, you can see that it has a you know, it's fleshy. It looks like paint or red, and you see all those little tiny black seeds, which I'm to understand. The seeds have slightly oily taste, and the flesh is often described to you know, as you know, it sweet, and certainly once it's been processed, it takes on almost like a raspberry jam kind of consistency. But it also can certainly be eaten like straight at harvest, to be eaten raw, and that is one way that it is enjoyed on site.
Speaker 3: But in some of the pictures you can see the seeds. It's not like a few large seeds like you might I don't know in watermelon or something. It's like swarming with many smaller seeds, so it can look kind of like ants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, a lot of seeds in there. Now, the I mentioned the poles because again, these the fruit are high up on the cactus, so how are you gonna get those down. You're not bringing step ladders out, you're not bringing scaffolding out. You climb, you can't really climb the cactus, So what are you going to do? Well, they had these poles and they were called I think coupad is the word. And according to the National Park Service, they were traditionally constructed out of sowaro ribs. Because remember, this is the Kingdom of the Suarrow, this is the forest of the Suaro. There's nothing if you're looking for tree branches or hanging around that are going to be long enough to use. I mean, there's nothing really out there as tall as the Solaro, So it makes sense to use the ribs of dead ones.
Speaker 3: Makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, included a picture here for you to refer to, Joe, but you people can find picks online. There's a Good Trust for Public Land article from twenty twenty five detailing the practice, leaning heavily on the multi generational knowledge of Thana Atham Member A Nation member Tanisha Tucker, and the article describes that these poles were lightweight, which is good because you're going to be holding them up for hours at a time during the harvest. They tend to be about twenty feet long, with a cross piece at the top of the pole that's used to hook the fruits. Cross white chairs that sometimes three ribs were used instead of two, and you know, obviously later on other materials end up being used as well if they become available, if they're brought in. But this is the traditional way, and this tradition is still practiced to this day. Now. As for the fruits themselves, Tucker describes them as a true desert superfood full of minerals and antioxidants. But they don't last, so the bounty has to be either consumed raw on site, and apparently there's a lot of that, you know, I think I think it's She points out that the best ones you eat while you harvest, You pull down a really nice one, don't save it for process, and you just go ahead and eat it at that moment.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean that makes sense with a lot of you know, fruits and crops, right like yeah, like a like a good crisp apple is great on its own. If there's one that's not so good, that can be apple sauce or apple juice or whatever.
Speaker 2: I always feel bad doing this harvesting strawberries, like recreational strawberry harvesting, you know where you go out to the strawberry farm and you pay them pick your own with a bucket. I always feel bad if I eat a really juicy one, like on the spot. I don't know, because I guess I haven't paid for it yet either. There's that, but but that is also the temptation, and I think maybe it speaks to something deeper in us, in our our fruit gathering past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I mean thinking about it these days, usually when people talk about processed foods, there that's spoken with a negative connotation because you're talking people are talking about nutritional concerns about ultra processed foods or something. But I would say, you know, across all different food traditions, in a way, processed foods are a great way to make use of less than ideal you know, pieces of fruit or vegetable or something like that. You know it might not be attractive in its whole form, but you can still turn it into some downstream processed product where you can't tell the difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also the key thing too here being that it's something that will keep because the primary sowarow fruit products end up being like a kind of a jelly or syrup as well as candies and a ceremonial wine, and the syrup slash jelly in particular, like that is something that they can store away in earthenware containers, which can then be buried or stored up on a like a high beam or something, and this is something they can continue to eat even through the winter months, and it's the primary sweetener traditionally that they would have to take advantage of. The wine would be highly ceremonial and important, again tying into the the social, ritual community aspects of the harvest. But yeah, so the whole process involved initially like carving out that pulpy part of the fruit, boiling it, skimming debris, straining out the pulp and seeds, cooking this into a thick syrup that can you know, then be used for various sweet purposes. Then water is added to the rest, which is fermented into the ceremonial wine, and then the ceremonial wine is later consumed, and then the seeds are used apparently for chicken feed, so like everything ends up being used for something.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah, I was actually just scoogling something on the side because I remembered reading something about thal authum use of the seeds, not just the pulp of the fruit, but used of the seeds. I think like they could be ground down and used in like a porridge or something as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think, Yeah, there are multiple purposes that are in play here. I've only highlighted some of the key ones. And then at the same time, you know, birds, squirrels, various organisms that we've mentioned. They're also trying to take advantage of the fruit. So there's a lot of activity around all of this. The jam crossway point shares with their primary traditional sweetener, the wild honey, could sometimes be acquired and this could sometimes be added to the syrup as well. Yeah, and then like I said, it could be stored, you could use it throughout the winter, and Westerners who sampled it, they often compared it to something like raspberry jam. So just just super fascinating, Like you know, how it becomes this this you know, this the central like defining seasonal aspect of the society here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that that social celebration aspect is interesting, especially in that what you were just talking about, in that it's a it's a fruit harvest that is not purely like work to store up things for later. Like you are, you are celebrating and enjoying a lot of the fruits right now in the moment of harvesting, but also gathering stuff for later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so so yeah. I just found it super interesting interesting to read about. Uh, if anyone out there listening has any connections, you know, closer connections to the practice, or certainly if we have any listeners of the that are you know, connected to the Autum tribe, certainly right in with any added details, we'd love to hear from you, please, yes, Now, before we close up this episode, I want to turn to another topic that I found really interesting that gets into the place that the sawaro has in the modern world and a world that humans continue to change. So it's important to stress that while some trees in the world, some plants are are fire resistant, some cacti are fire resistant. The prickly pear is often thrown up. There's an example of this. You know, many trees depend on the cycles of wildfires, but the sowaro is not one of them. They're highly susceptible to fire damage, and aspects of their Sonoran environment have seemingly protected them from widespread fire damage for quite a while, but this is changing due to human introduced factors. Oh interesting, yeppen at all point out that invasive grasses like red brome and buffal grass. I know buffal grass sounds super fun, but not outside of its original range. Red brome and buffal grass have greatly enhanced fire threats to the sowaro. So red brome is of Mediterranean origin, likely spread to North America as a seed contaminant during the mid eighteen hundreds. It spreads, it pushes out local grasses, and once its seeds are set, it dries out and becomes this clump of fire hazard. Red brome can handle fire on its own, but not so many of the plants it thrives among in these introduced environments in the Americas. The authors here point out that in moist Arizona deserts, range fires fueled primarily by red brome have destroyed just thousands of sworrows, among other native desert plants. Buffalo grass is African in origin and was intentionally injured introduced in the nineteen seventies by the US Department of Agriculture to improve cattle forage. And this one forms dense clumps of clumps of grass. And when these dry out, you guessed it, they're kindling for range fires. And once more we have a case where the alien grass evolved it depends on annual fires, so it's not negatively impacted by blazes. But the same is not true of the native Sonoran vegetation. It's another case where the introduction of an alien species leads to short term gains for farmers ranchers and then long term ecological damage.
Speaker 3: Now, I apologize if this just went over my head, but what is the main mechanism that these grasses make the fire more threating to the suaros? Is it just the fact that they allow fire to spread in areas where it wouldn't spread normally.
Speaker 2: Right, And then also we'll get into this in just a second, but it also comes down to how it in a broader sense, it disrupts the sort of natural spacing that prevents wildfires from raging in the Sonoran desert. Okay, yeah, So I was reading a bit about this on the website of the Southwest Fire Science Consortium and they write, quote, unprecedented large scale fires in recent years, especially in twenty five and twenty twenty, have been driven by the exponential expansion of introduced invasive species. An ecological transition from desert scrub to grassland has begun, which creates management and societal challenges as fire becomes a part of the ecology of the Sonoran Desert.
Speaker 3: Okay, so these invasive grasses and other invasive plants change the spatial arrangement of fuel sources in the landscape exactly.
Speaker 2: So Traditionally, they point out, the Sonoran Desert is characterized by quote an openness of inherent patchiness and vegetation. So you have, you know, like I was saying, there's a lot of life out there, and you know, you can compare to the bottom of the sea or what have you. You have large areas of bare ground between vegetation areas which provide quote insufficient continuity of fuel for fire. And this has seemingly protected the desert habitat here at least for the last century and probably longer. I you know, as I'll bring up again here, there's there's not a lot of great historical evidence of past forest fires to really lean on here, but that's everyone's best guess. So for instance, in the last episode we mentioned lightning strikes on Solorrows. Well, if it's such a strike were to produce fire, it would, at least with a historical situation, it would be far less life to spread to the next island of vegetation in this sort of sprawling archipelago of vegetation clumps. You know, so like here's kind of like one island of some cacti and desert plants, but then there's there's kind of like a natural barrier to a to a wildfire. There's like nothing between it and the next area. And this would be like the sort of natural built in protection that these plants have adapted to thrive in. I see. Yeah, yeah. So the authors here point out that the fire return intervals here are estimated to exceed one hundred to one thousand years, though again these models haven't been tested due to the lack of evidence for historical fires, but they really drive home the changes that have occurred and the changes that are continuing to occur in this region, thus requiring just an evolving counterfire protocol, like what we used to do just won't work anymore, and you know, having to do things it would not have been necessarily necessary previously they were write. Quote. In addition to fires in desert valleys and flats, a new fire mosaic is being established in the region whereby wildfires driven by invasive grasses can spread from the forested mountains to the desert valleys and vice versa. Yikes. Yeah, so just again, you throw in these these invasive plants and they just begin to change things in such a dramatic fashion. And we've talked about invasive desert plants before. We did episodes on the tumbleweed, which is itself despite the fact that it is in many ways as iconic as the suaros, like a symbol of the American desert, but it itself, it has its origins on another continent. It is, it is not a native species.
Speaker 3: It's funny that connection because the tumbleweed also plays an interesting role in the spread of fire and like prairie areas where it can be known as a fire break jumper, where like, you know, a tumbleweed can catch fire and then leap over fire breaks to you know, set flame to new areas.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so, uh yeah, I found this very fascinating. Now, on top of this, this is not the only threat in place yet. Men and all also point out that, of course, climate change is a big one. We've touched on that already. We've talked about how you know, despite the fact that the Souarro is doing well, and you know it has its its niche and is the you know, kind of the king of the Sonoran Desert. At the same time, you know it's it's sensitive, it can things can easily easily be thrown out of whack. There. On top of that, you still have the threat of habitat destruction. At the time of the riding, they indicated that most of the threat was further south in Mexico. Again, we've stressed like the various protections that are in place and have been successfully put in place in Arizona for a while. But again, you had that protection in place, it doesn't protect them from things like introducing an invasive grass for cattle that ends up being a threat. And then they also point out that you end up having illegal trade in sorrow ribs for use in furniture. So it's important to note here that dead soarrows are also protected. So just because the plant's dead doesn't mean you have right to go out and start ripping it apart and taking the ribs away. But since the ribs have been used in furniture and have this unique look, it ends up encouraging a poaching and killing trade where people are going out and acquiring these ribs in ways they shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Right, So if there's an active market for it, even just created by dead ribs that have been scavenged, that creates an incentive for poaching of live ones.
Speaker 2: Right, And you know I would I'm just guessing here. I don't think they mentioned the sowarrow boot, but obviously the Suarro boot is an interesting curio that is left over from a dead sarrow, and I could see that being impacted as well, certainly if there was some sort of demand for those.
Speaker 3: And like the craft market, Yeah, we're all but I think we're sort of coming to the end here. But I've really enjoyed this look at Souorrow is something I didn't really know much about it all going in. But they are strange, beautiful, majestic human so so many things, and there I didn't know how much I didn't know about them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel the same way. I mean, I've walked among them and I've learned about them, you know, I've read about them in the past, but I still discovered things in the research here that were entirely new to me. And so it's going to make the next time I walk among the soaro even more rewarding. All right, then, yeah, we're going to go and close it out. We're just gonna go ahead and remind everyone out there that Stuff to bliw Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast, with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursday, short format episodes on Wednesdays and on Fridays. We set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. If you were watching us on Netflix in video form, well, we'll just remind everyone out there that we have a deep archive of audio content. Wherever you get your audio podcasts and wherever that happens to be. We just would ask that you rate, review, and subscribe. You know, those are the things you can do to help support this podcast moving forward.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer Jjposway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.