Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to the podcast, and gotta say happy June teenth. Yeah, I hope you take a moment today to educate yourself on the holiday. Maybe support a great black owned business in your area, you know, do something good restaurants lately. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: So today we've got something a little different for you. It's called a closure call. We don't do them that often, but they're kind of cool. It's when people need closure in their life from a past relationship, and that could be romantic, it could be a family relationship, a work relationship, and we actually get them back in touch with that person from their past. So these are these are pretty cool. So you're gonna get to hear that. But first we love to highlight some comments.
Speaker 3: Alexis yeah a Beer said, downloading episodes for my flight. I can't wait tensten for five hours?
Speaker 1: Whoa wow, oh Beer, But you.
Speaker 2: Do what I do.
Speaker 4: Well, you have to like download it on Spotify or whatever, so you in case you don't have the internet on that, that's right, smart.
Speaker 3: I feel like you're gonna get a headache from that much of us.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll take some child at all. All right, here, your closure call starts now.
Speaker 2: The truth is everyone has a price. So Brooke, let me ask, how much would it take for you to leave your husband and your children to start a whole new life. A billion? I remember a Bogo cubeon to the Country Buffet with the nacho cheese fountain.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, yeah, I were thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Well, one of our listeners faced a similar dilemma recently where he had to choose either a life changing, insane amount of money or his family.
Speaker 5: What day.
Speaker 2: You would think that'd be a pretty easy decision, but it wasn't. You're going to find out what happened in a brand new closure call coming up next. Quick history lesson this segment started when Brooke suggested we do something called foreclosure calls. She wanted us to call low income families until them they're getting evictim while she laughed in the background. It's a terrible.
Speaker 1: Idea till you say something like this, I have to do more charity work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind of what we adjusted this segment to closure calls, which is helping people. And I know Brooke didn't like that idea as much, but management did. So your mortgage was to deny. I love that, but we're trying to help our listeners get some answers and much needed closure about an issue or a question that's been eating away at them for a while.
Speaker 1: I love this segment.
Speaker 2: And today we're talking to a guy named David who reached out to us about his mom. Oh hopefully he's not foreclosing on her, but David, welcome to the show man.
Speaker 5: Hey guys, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it always makes me so sad when people have terrible relationships with your mom?
Speaker 2: Are you assuming? Yeah, we don't even.
Speaker 1: Know anything if he hasn't talked to her. Isn't that the whole point of closure call? It's always like so one that you need closure with you don't know.
Speaker 2: What's ask what's going on with your mom? David?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I did have a falling out with my mom like three months ago.
Speaker 1: Is really good that it's in the title of the segment.
Speaker 4: You can say, like, I'm talking to my mom, we have an issue with my sister or something.
Speaker 2: Why did you and your mom have a falling out?
Speaker 5: So it's all over this inheritance from my grandpa.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, cut the mom out there. Wait, what, that's exactly what I would do. I don't know what is going on with.
Speaker 5: So my grandpa lives in South America, and honestly, I've met a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Okay, and this is your mom's dad, right yeah, okay.
Speaker 5: Okay, but he really likes me. You know. Actually, when I graduated from high school, he sent me a check for five thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Yay, Oh wow, day, I think I got a pizza party for three I always.
Speaker 1: Be a matter of money. But how old I was, so yeah, I got eighteen bucks.
Speaker 2: Your grandpa is pretty well off.
Speaker 1: Dang.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's not doing bad, or he wasn't doing bad. It just felt like me and him connected when we did meet. He passed away.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't that make your mom happy though, that he passed away, that they had a good relationship.
Speaker 5: There's more to the story, Okay, all right, So when he passed I got a letter in the mail. It was you know, it was actually sent to my mom's house, but it was addressed to me, and it was from my grandpa's lawyer saying that in the will I was mentioned.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So Grandpa, what he did in the will is he basically gave me two options. You know, I could split the inheritance with my mom and my two older sisters, or I could keep the whole thing.
Speaker 1: What a position to put you in choice? Do you know how much money they were talking about right from the beginning, I.
Speaker 5: Know the amount it was. It was a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, damn, that is a big decision. Like what where was your head at?
Speaker 5: So of course my first thought is like, let me split it evenly with everybody, you know. But then I started to think about it more, like my sisters are older than me, like, well older older than me. They're already married, one has a kid, the other ones working with the job she loves. I mean, they're set financially, their established.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't need more money.
Speaker 1: I cannot believe your grandpa left that decision to you. I mean, that's just a decision that's going to tear people apart no matter what.
Speaker 2: What's your financial situation?
Speaker 5: So, like, I just finished college. I don't have a job right now. You know, I still got a bunch of student loans coming in.
Speaker 2: Didn't the five thousand dollars cover that? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah maybe in the sixties. Yeah, Okay, so I got a lot of student loans, and you know, I also have dreams. You know, I wanted to travel the world, and I felt like that was my grandpa basically giving me that shot a chance.
Speaker 1: He just turned you into a fun kid. You can do those things.
Speaker 5: But then you know my mom, she's divorced from my dad too, and she does work a couple jobs. But honestly, I don't know what she would even use the money for.
Speaker 2: Maybe so that she wouldn't have to work two jobs, yeah, very simple, solid reason.
Speaker 5: But you know, my mom is just one of those ladies who work just because they enjoy working.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I know what you mean, no matter what. Who likes working just for work?
Speaker 1: Could you say that? But how do you know that? I mean, obviously she couldn't put you through college. She probably works because she has to.
Speaker 2: I mean, so big decision here. What did you decide to do?
Speaker 5: I decided to keep the full inheritance.
Speaker 2: What I was d D that's kind of a rough move to do to your family.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: My mom kept asking me too, She was like, what did the letter say that Grandpa sent you?
Speaker 2: You know she didn't know?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I didn't tell her.
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't you at least talk to your mom about that? Like, talk to someone.
Speaker 5: Well, like I said, I didn't tell her, but now I feel like she does know.
Speaker 1: Why why do you say that, because a couple.
Speaker 5: Of days later, I get a text from my mom saying, you need to come by the house. You got to pick up all your stuff. I put it in the boxes out in the garage.
Speaker 2: Oh she kicked you out?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know it didn't. Honestly, it made me feel bad. I tried to talk to her. I even went over and knocked on the door, but you know, she doesn't answer, she won't come to the door.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is the falling out with your mom?
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, yeah, it's been a few months since it happened.
Speaker 1: You know, you haven't talked to her at all.
Speaker 5: No, not for the last few months.
Speaker 1: Wait, though, like that's how do you know that she knows? Like it could be another reason, like how would she find out about the inheritance.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's the only reason I could think that she threw all my stuff in the box put in the garage for no reason, because it.
Speaker 2: Was a normal issue. She would talk to you, right, And so this has been a few months, now, what what made you reach out to us, like to get some closure, honestly.
Speaker 5: Because I've been rethinking it and I'm you know, maybe I should had probably split it up. But my mom is not talking to me, and my two sisters know nothing about it. So since I can't reach my mother, maybe I can use some help.
Speaker 1: I just can't imagine money like this isn't worth money, right, Like losing your relationship with your mom.
Speaker 2: Depends on how much money. Everybody's got a price.
Speaker 3: It could be known on a private island.
Speaker 2: So obviously you know how this works. David. You've already been working with our producer to come up with four questions that we sent to your mom. I will tell you, David, she wrote back to us, and hopefully when I read it to you coming up here, it's going to give you a little bit of closure. My god, but it's going to cost you some money. Okay, I think legally I can. But when we come back, we'll read what your mom had to say and do your closure call right after this. Man, this is crazy. We've been talking about it off the about what we would do if we were in David's shoes, where you have the option to take an entire inheritance just for yourself or split it amongst your family.
Speaker 1: Members, like it's a sick joke that your grandpa left you with.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I bet he's laughing. For it's a big moral dilemma though, and David chose not to split it with his mom and his two sisters. He wanted to keep the whole bag for himself, which it was his decision, that was what his grandpa wanted him to make. This is what we didn't discuss though in the first part, is transparency, Like should he have told his mom his decision of what was going on, because it sounds like he tried to keep it all secret from her and then she found out later and then got upset about.
Speaker 4: And that's what I agree with. No matter what you choose, it's a hard decision. I would at least set my family down and say, look, mom, dad, I don't think you guys need it as much as I do, or whatever, but at least tell everybody a family brook.
Speaker 2: Are you telling your family that you're holding onto the whole whole inheritance?
Speaker 1: I know I have inherited in my family. To be honest with you, I'm just having a really hard time having sympathy for you because it's like, these are the choices you made. Not only did you cut them out, but then you didn't tell them and then you get kicked out of your mom's house, Like.
Speaker 2: Duh, you can call her a name, David, that's okay. And she's just jealous of you that you know you're richer than her.
Speaker 5: You know. I'm just I'm just waiting for these answers.
Speaker 2: Okay, I am. I'm curious before we get to the answers, have you spent any of the money yet, just for fun?
Speaker 5: No? And then none of the money has come through yet. I don't know if it's tied up in paperwork or something.
Speaker 4: But he was South America, so maybe it's harder to transfer.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it doesn't come through a money order.
Speaker 2: So we're going to read your mom's answers here. How you feeling, man, You nervous, excited.
Speaker 5: Like I'm probably a little anxious, you know. Like I said, I'm I don't want it to be mad at me, so I'm trying to figure this out. So I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, We've already sent these four questions to your mom. You worked with our producer on him. The first question that we sent her was Mom, why are you so mad at me to the point you kicked me out of your house? Okay, that's good because we don't know. We don't know if she knew about his decision with the inheritance. We just assumed that, And that's what you wanted to ask, right, David.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's number one what I need to know why she's mad before we go further.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, true.
Speaker 1: Because if she doesn't know about it yet, did she explain?
Speaker 2: She said, because David, you were given a big decision to be selfish or consider anybody other than yourself, and you chose yourself. I thought I raised you better. That's how does that feel? David?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I don't feel like I need to give her any of the money if she's coming at me like that.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh, did you not hear what she said? She's already talking about the money. She's talking about your you being selfish, only thinking of yourself.
Speaker 5: No. I feel like if that was the case, that's a conversation we could have had in person, and she could have told me, hey, you maybe you're being selfish. But nah, right now I'm here and she's jealous. Balance.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it was kind of a rude answer back from a mom.
Speaker 4: So with you, Brooke did mention earlier. She is being very passive aggressive by not saying anything and just.
Speaker 3: Kicking you out.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: I think you're both a little bit could be handling it in different ways.
Speaker 2: But that is why we do these calls. I try and help get some answers and hopefully get closure. Let's go to the second question, which was, I'm assuming you know about my decision with Grandpa's inheritance.
Speaker 1: Okay, we already got that answer.
Speaker 2: What would you have done in my shoes? I guarantee you wouldn't have split the money evenly. O.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's coming in hot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean now that's almost sounding like an accusation. Is that how you meant it? David?
Speaker 5: You know it feels fine. After that first answer, she got up, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well she did answer that to quote, like send a quotation and it says, greed is a fat demon with a small mouth, and whatever you feed it, it's never enough.
Speaker 1: Is that a comment?
Speaker 5: Does she call me? Does she just call me fat? I don't even know I've been greed.
Speaker 2: Greed is the fat demon, not you.
Speaker 4: I feel like we're getting answers here. But we're not making progress. Like on either side. He still seems like.
Speaker 1: I think the mom is just disappointed.
Speaker 5: What what's she disappointed about? I mean she has a lot more money than I do.
Speaker 1: I mean, your whole life provided for you.
Speaker 2: Still a little tense. Maybe things will get better.
Speaker 5: I hope she puts that quote on her wall.
Speaker 2: Okay, next to love fan. Let's hopefully make the mood a little better with question three. It says, it's been three months and I haven't seen any money from the inheritance. Are you blocking my inheritance? Or do you know what's going on with it? So you you suspect your mom is the one that's blocking you.
Speaker 5: I mean she's blocked me out of the house.
Speaker 1: I thought we were doing this. So try to repair your relationship with your mother, David, not to attack her.
Speaker 3: Find out where your money is.
Speaker 5: Her. I'm asking, does she know anything about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's quoting Rihanna, you better have my money.
Speaker 1: What did she say?
Speaker 2: You asked if she's blocking the inheritance, and she wrote back the same quote as before, this time in all caps. Greed is a fat demon with a small mouth, and whatever you feed it, it's never enough.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: She's doubling to you.
Speaker 5: Guys for the help. Man, all I'm getting is bathroom quotes. You. Oh, I think I should charge her for my school loans after this.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a battle. Smooth things over house?
Speaker 1: Responsible for that, you know, I mean, we can't control how it sounds like you're turning into the little fat demon who's never never.
Speaker 5: David answers question for with that quote. I don't know what the hell.
Speaker 2: We We made zero progress. We only have one question less but keeps getting worse. Maybe we should just get through it question four. Know we wrote. I know you're not talking to me right now, but I do regret how things went down.
Speaker 1: Mom, Okay a little remorse.
Speaker 2: Can I please call you so we can talk this thing out. Yes, that's great. That's a good Olive branch.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm the only good person between us.
Speaker 1: I would have I would have recommended leading with that question and then maybe taken out the first three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll tell you, David, she didn't write back with the same quote. That's the good news. Yes, here's what she said, and I'll warn you it's a little bit shocking.
Speaker 5: David.
Speaker 2: Are you ready for this?
Speaker 5: Let's go?
Speaker 2: She says, maybe you should call your grandpa instead.
Speaker 1: I thought he died.
Speaker 2: She says, he didn't really die, but he did want to test you, to see if you'd make the right choice and put your family first.
Speaker 5: Got to be a joke.
Speaker 2: No, I'm serious, man, She says, you didn't, and now we all know the answer. So you've been effectively removed from Grandpa's will going forward.
Speaker 5: I don't believe that. I think she lost her mind.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, I'm reading her her answers right here. She says, there's no money coming to you. If you're wondering, you reap what you sew. I don't know.
Speaker 5: We might have to throw her in a facility. I don't know.
Speaker 1: You don't have money to pay for a facility in your mind?
Speaker 5: Well, what's that called? When when the police just get her? Then, because we have to follow one.
Speaker 4: Really take your advice and call your grandpa and once he answers your tire.
Speaker 1: I was like, why would a grandpa put that in a in a will? That's crazy, pretty it makes sense.
Speaker 5: I don't believe her, and I honestly, I don't think you guys should believe her. I think died and she's just like holding on to my check at the house.
Speaker 1: Oh, make awkward Tuesday phone calls to South America. I want to call it Grandpa.
Speaker 2: I don't want to get any deeper involved into this family situation. It was messy, This was amazing. I hope it got you a little bit of closure there, David, don't I don't know.
Speaker 5: If it's I don't know, like I don't believe it.
Speaker 2: Make sure you keep in touch with us and let us know what happens with the Yeah, I guess say to your grandpa for us.
Speaker 1: Apologies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's your closure calls. It's Brooke and Jeffrey in the.
Speaker 1: Morning brooking Jeffrey in the morning. Man, That grandpa is genius. Yeah, honestly, I hope you enjoyed that closure call. We are getting tons of comments flooded, especially on our YouTube page.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. Yeah, so many of you guys want to follow up, and we are with offer Tuesday another call something about it.
Speaker 1: That's a hard part of these follow ups is that people contact us for help and then we just have to hope that they get back to us.
Speaker 2: I know, surprisingly we don't harass them. Yeah, week after week after we should know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, he's going to be a little busy talking to his mom and grandpa figuring out how he wanted to say.
Speaker 3: It's just a joke.
Speaker 1: I was gonna split it with everybody totally.
Speaker 3: In the comments about him, we got a lot of selfish jerks. No wonder they tested him talk about karma. Yeah, oh selfish again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So it's kind of the majority is against this kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd say so.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And for grandpa, I think a lot of people, I mean are going to be changing their wills.
Speaker 2: So I have a nice little test as you go out to the family.
Speaker 1: Totally. Yeah. Yeah, Well, thank you so much for being here. It means so much to us, especially on this Second Date podcast, So please subscribe, share, follow, do all the things, and you can always follow us on social media. You can harass us there, Okay, it's just and Jeffrey