Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of It Trends with Us. Oh, that's right. It's a play on the big movie dropping this weekend. It Ends with Us, starring Blake Lively Jenny Slat, adapted from the Colleen Hoover novel that was a book talk sensation. Hum, I'm Jack. That is miles miles. As you might have been able to pick up on from my rear, I'm not overly familiar with It ends with Us. I was mainly reading that off of like a description.
Speaker 2: I'm also not I mean I'm familiar because I feel in the last week I keep seeing stuff about like Blake Lively and like headlines about like cast feuds, and I'm like, I don't know, I don't I don't care enough about them, but I know it's happening something.
Speaker 1: Behind the scenes. Tench is what I'm hearing, is what I'm picking up on. The star and director Justin Baldoni, who I'm not overly familiar with. Maybe maybe if I have look there's more deeply I would recognize him from some stuff. But I just want to read this description and just want to get to get a sense if anything pops out to you, because I was. I was impressed by a couple of the details.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: A chance meeting with charming neurosurgeon Ryle Kincaid sparks an intense connection, but as the two fall deeply in love, Lily begins to see sides of Ryle her parents relationship, like with an R with an R. When Lily's first love, Atlas Core again suddenly re enters her life, her relationship with Ryle is upended. I just love those two names, Ryle Kincaid. Oh wow, wow, wow wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, because like that guy Ryle or Baldoni isn't at like any of the press stuff. I think that's what I was reading. It's like, where the fuck's the director and.
Speaker 1: Where is the baldon stir.
Speaker 2: Oh, aust didn't realize that the the the book itself is about domestic abuse, and people are like.
Speaker 4: Is this movie actually handling it? Well, wow, so it looks like a lot a lot is happening going on. Hey, Ryle bald Baldoni come to these screenings. Wow, that's just a thing I just came up with.
Speaker 2: That's cool man, Hey, And that's cool bro.
Speaker 1: And that is cool man, Miles. We love to talk about people swimming through ship in the heart, Polly. The sin is gross, still gross, but apparently swimmers have a solution. And I'm intrigued by this. Okay, So apparently being an open water swimmer, this is not their first rodeo. Uh when it comes rodeo. The rodeo being swimming open man through a bunch of poop poo, whoopy. That's the thing that you have to do a lot as a distant swimmer. Sure, And so they have methods for trying to flush their system so they don't get an infection from all the shit water. And apparently one of the tricks maybe it's an old wives tale, maybe it's science, but it is like kind of openly adopted is chugging a can of coke to poison whatever living microbe is trying to like work its way down your throat and get into your stomach. So probably not resounding endorsement that Coca Cola is looking for from their Olympic sponsorship.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, official drink of people who have swallowed shit Coca Cola always wait. So the theory is just like coke, it has some kind of magical power or to destroy the bacteria.
Speaker 1: Essentially, I mean this is a an urban legend that we debunked. I think a myth about this back it cracked because I think a lot of people have done the thing where you put a tooth or something in a cup of coke and it like immediately dissolves.
Speaker 5: This.
Speaker 1: So I remember there was one that was like the highway patrol used to like clear accidents by spraying them down with Coca cola, like to like get things off of the pavement. I was like, that's a terrible idea, would be so sticky, that can't be true, And that turned out it was. It was not true. But in this case, Mosha Johnson of Team Australia said, the myth of coca cola is true. We will often have a Coca cola afterward just to try to flesh out anything inside of us. Wow wow, So drink enjoy coke or use it like it's like a lie, you know your insides.
Speaker 2: I'll say, there's is this a black woman? And I looked no. I was thrown off by the name Mosha Johnson. That's what I'm like, who were they? Mosha? Fans mo to eat to the and they're like, oh yeah, you know what.
Speaker 1: Steve, we should name our daughter daughter Mosia. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, well yeah, drink of Coca cola. I mean that's like I feel like it is sort of like the same thing, like with black people. It's like ginger ale is like what solves all things possible. McDonald's sprite is a is a tincture from the gods. So yeah, man, Coca cola. Sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Multiple doctors told The Wall Street Journal that there's no scientific evidence of cokes cleansing properties. But you know, it's the reason that Gatorade is not just salt water. That they put like bright colors and sugar in there because it feels good, and when you feel better, like you you know, tend to do better. So it's well. Also, just the article ends with you know, or maybe it just we shouldn't be swimming in the Seine. Despite the reassurances, some argue swimming the sin was never a good idea. I would never have selected the send. Davy Jones, professor of environmental science and public health at Bangor University, told DBC Science Focused. I know it's iconic, but it also runs through a hugely urbanized area, which is always a recipe for disaster when it comes to potential exposure to chemicals or biological pathogens.
Speaker 2: I would have never selected the send, said Davy Jones, ghost of Legendary Pirates.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I swam in the ocean in where I could have reclaimed my soul. That's right, all right, Fox still struggling with Tim Walls. They're trying to come up with an angle. It resonate.
Speaker 2: Twitchy Tim is trending because Jesse Waters has absolutely found owned the fucking hammer blow to the whole, Tim Walls is daddy vibe train that's happening. Uh here's here's just Jesse Waters trying a new one. He's enthusiastic and effusive, I think is what he means here. But hey, let's let him embarrass himself.
Speaker 6: Here's twitchy Tim on stage, waving profusely in a very unsettling.
Speaker 2: Manner, very unsettling. Okay, Frame by frame, how would you describe that wave waving at Like, how's it like waving? Maybe waving enthusiastically, Yeah, like at the wrist. You know you're not doing full you know you're not moving from the shoulder. You know, it's not a big white ye wave, it's a little wrist.
Speaker 1: I would also describe it as uncool, but not necessarily trying to be cool.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's yeah, looks sincere we'll move okay, go on, Jesse that men should not move this way. It's not the way we laughing.
Speaker 6: The handshakes probably the most telling this is Waltz his wife shaking hands like business associates.
Speaker 1: It's all to hug and kiss your wife in front of probably, and she.
Speaker 2: Was also kind of like, oh well, hello there, waving and he kind of pulled her in for a hug via a handshake. Again this this IS's husband Doug. Interesting because then he hugged another man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh he really went in for the hug. Oh the boy. They're just such the like that, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Wow. I will say at times that one laugh he did felt like he was putting a little too much sauce on it. You know. It was like I was like, is that you, Tim But that's okay because it's pretty well, it's pretty well known. He's not like one of these big powerhouse political you know, performers at rallies. He's like a pretty normal dude. He's not like a teleprompter guy from from what I was reading at all, so like whatever, but like he's just he seems like a normal guy who's getting used to having to be in front of thousands of people and be like a focal point and not just be like, hey, good to see it. Uh huh, yeah, give a little something to the crowd, you know what I mean. But yeah, there's just in you know, the tampon, Tim didn't think work. Doesnnow it's twitchy Tim. We'll see what happens. He just seems to be genuinely excited, and that's they don't know what to do with that. So the struggle continues.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, we're gonna take a quick break. We'll be right back, and we're back. And Islamophobia seems to be have you heard about this stuff, because it seems to be having a bit of a moment, like even more than usual. So the reaction to the riots in the UK has been there's a good Jacobin article. We'll link off two in the footnotes, but just very tolerant of white supremacists reticent to call out and condemn islamophobia when they see it, and like not not willing to call this white supremacy like terrorism when they see it. If you aren't up on you know, the international news, there was a horrific mass stabbing of children by a person who you know, a lone wolf, native born English citizen, and it was blamed on Muslim immigrants by a Russian social media account, and that rumor kicked off massive like white supremacist terrorism and like right wing riots complete with like book burnings, Nazi salutes, and the government is just like.
Speaker 2: Buildings attacking hotels for a yeah, just setting up roadblocks to check people's skin, like there's been a lot.
Speaker 1: It's fucking scared shit, yeah, yeah, and the government seems to be having a hard time recognizing it as terrorism that needs to be dealt with as such. And yeah, there just seems to be a mainstreaming of Islamophobia, like and and then just I don't know, as right wing groups become more popular, it's just like we need to be really careful about when watching the mainstream media, like catering to them and moving policy toward them, like with all these elections happening and being like, well what about this, Like is this unpopular? Would this make you more popular? It's like that's no, like it that that can't be part of the calculation.
Speaker 2: It is interesting because like oddly enough that the US is slightly ahead of the UK here with being like yeah, man, white supremacist terror. Uh. I mean we don't like to talk about it because you know that definitely appeals to a certain subsection of media consumers, right yeah, like like in that article, and I think just generally hearing a lot of the commentary is like this has just been allowed to simmer like underneath the surface, that this just little bit of disinformation set off a ton of wacky shit. I mean, I am heartened to see the amount of counter protesters that have also come out to really be like fuck out of here, like this this is not happening, because there were a lot of uh, sort of protests that was that were being you know, coordinated by this you know, like regressive right wing white supremacist group in the UK, but that was met with a lot of counter protests. But yeah, it's this is it is. This is sort of what happens when that kind of rhetoric goes unchecked and when you don't push back enough, it's acceptable enough that people will then act out shit in like physical space.
Speaker 1: It just feels like the way the hour, like the American mainstream media has like metabolized the student protests, like they just seem to have been like, you know, that wasn't a thing that got brought up when objecting to Josh Shapiro, you know, like that wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Was would say, like people on the left were concerned about Josh Shapiro's characterization of people who are fully there to protest the genocide and Gaza. And again, this is something rhetorically that people like to use to sort of begin to fuse anti Semitism into the conversation. So then now you're having to then debate whether or not it's anti semitism when your stated goal is to say, I'm trying to stop genocide, that there are definitely bad faith actors, but that is not the point of the ninety nine point ninety nine of.
Speaker 1: The people, like what they're being fucking killed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is yeah, like you know, Corey Bush, who is a member of the Squad and Zuri lost her primary APAC put in like something like nine million dollars to unseat her, And again I.
Speaker 1: Think it's created like, you know, a political misstep that she was critical of Israel, you know exactly, it's well should have known better.
Speaker 2: Is also I think a lot of people don't understand too as many people of color do see their struggle intertwined with what is happening with Palestinian people, of course, and that that we are living in a world that says human are not human and you are allowed to be on the receiving end of some horrific oppression and having your right stripped away. So then to then condemn people who are saying like I see our parallel struggles as being intertwined, and like the liberation that we're seeking is to you know, dismantle these systems of oppression and colonization. To then have that be like, well, you went a little too far there, I think shows everyone sort of what the stakes are in terms of pushing back against the status quo. And I I think that sort of definitely, like to your point, like American media has definitely for decades been like some people in the Middle East are just bad guys who we've flattened into these one dimensional caricatures of bad people and not human beings experiencing their own struggles and trying to live their lives in a way like every other human being is, which I think also again, another thing that was trending was Kamala's rally in Michigan that happened yesterday, and like protesters who were there because again there's a huge Arab and Muslim population in Michigan that they were there to protest the administrations, you know, co signing of what is happening in Gaza in the West Bank, and people were interrupting the speech. They were protesting. Now I know, in the beginning, Kamala first tried to say, hey, you know, like this is a democracy, that's why I'm here. Your voice is valid, all of our voices are valid, but I'm speaking here. And then they kept going and she said something to the effect of like, look, if you want Donald Trump to win, just say that, and the crowd erupted and like yeah, you know, big d Democrat. Twitter started like dunking on these protesters in a way where you're like, you you, we need to like for these people. They have to look at these people as also very concerned about what is happening and what is happening in the name of Americans and American tax dollars.
Speaker 1: And Kamala met with the organizers from the Young Committed Movement and yes, but yeah, it's mainly like the response like online and you know where it was like yeah, shut the fuck up, was just like wait what what? Yeah? Yeah, that's the.
Speaker 2: Kind of thing that disturbs people who are you know, really concerned with any kind of sort of like liberation movement and to have like someone who's at the top of the ticket sort of just like try and be like I'm going to reinforce the status quo and everyone's going to cheer. That does not feel good. So that is thing I think that the Harris Walls campaign hopefully addresses because that was sort of like the first big you're like, uh, it's wobbling again. You're in Michigan. You could have even just said something like I totally understand where you're coming from. No one wants to see this massive loss of life on a scale like this that is harming innocent children and people. It's it's it's terrible. Let's find a time to speak, but please allow me to finish, you know what I mean, Like, there's a way to diplomatically say that acknowledge them and doesn't necessarily make you look like you've caved to the quote. Hamas wing of the party, as conservatives or moderates are trying to say, and like, this is at a time right now too where nearly seventy five percent of voters, seventy five percent of Americans right do not want to be dragged into a war in the Middle East over a net and Yahoo's desire to stay in power. So articulating some kind of boundary is especially prudent at a time like this, at the very least as a way to deter net and Yahoo from his worst impulses as things get more and more tense with his feud with Hesbela and Iran. So I don't know, like so everything just feels like in limbo. People are looking for answers, and I feel like this is now the time too for Kamala and the kama the Harris Walls campaign to truly begin articulating, like what this administration is going to stand for, Like we know what you're against. You know, it's not enough to say we're against tax breaks for billionaires, so then say we are four taxing the fuck out of billionaires so we can offer people more social services. It's not enough to say you are against gun violence, you know, say you are four substantive gun control laws and articulate what it looks like and people are so stretched so thin. Rhetoric alone isn't going to inspire hope, Like people need to see a roadmap so we know where we are and where we are going and how we get there. It's not enough anymore to just be like, yeah, that's bad. And I know they said, like, obviously you support a women's right to choose, you want to codify Roe Vwaight, Like Okay, that's that's a talking point. That makes sense because you're saying if they're codify Roe Vwaight, well would that happen tbd. But at least you're articulating something that people can put something a bit of like emotion into. And I bring this up because Trump did like a virtual town hall because he's not really going in public anymore or as much where he was like in Sturge, like it was like with bikers in Sturgis and they are yeah, he's on the phone and on Fox are like, hey, what's something you want to ask President Trump? This is a really I think, a really instructive moment because this is someone who this is a fucking stars and stripes vest clauded biker who looks like, you know, the like a caricature of what you think a maga person is. And I just want you to hear what this guy's question is for Donald Trump, and how terribly Donald Trump even handles this.
Speaker 5: What are you gonna do about bringing down the rent and things like that in the economy? Because out of eight children that I'm a father and a stepfather too, five of them are struggling and I'm giving them part of my income on a regular basis. How are you going to make the economy not just just the you know, the food and electricity, but bring down the rent prices, the housing prices so that these kids can survive and without their parents' help.
Speaker 3: Such a good question, mister President. You're right, I hear it very well. And I tell you, first of all, I love the people that you with. I know that I must have at least ninety nine, perhaps one hundred percent of all of them, and I think they're incredible. We are going to drill, baby, drill. We're going to bring down the cost of energy. Energy is what caused the worst inflation I think in the history of our country. Food prices are fifty percent sometimes more. You look at bacon, bacon is quadrupled you can't order bacon. You can't order anything. We're living horribly. We have the worst inflation.
Speaker 2: We Okay, I gotta stop. Right this guy's like, drill. I've got eight kids I'm supporting, and he's like, we're gonna drill and then your kids will be able to pay their rent in bacon slices because bacon will now be It's like, you're not again. This is like such a real experience that American people are the entire political spectrum. It's it's touching them. And so like this is again if you can articulate something that is a little bit like because right now the other guys is being like, drill bacon.
Speaker 1: Huh uh huh, drill pro oil is my answer to your children's rent ut exactly.
Speaker 2: And like this is at a time when a lot of moderates and like establishment democrats, right wingers in the media, they're all saying some version of Kamala better say sorry for wanting single payer healthcare or people will be.
Speaker 1: Mad and they're apologizing for any regressive leanings in the past.
Speaker 2: Feels like the yeah, this ain't the time to do that. Like you have you have excited young people who think that something can be made of this, so like offer something different, and when you just refuse to like articulate something that allows people to reflexively think, oh, this ticket isn't going to change anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. The one mainstream media criticism I've seen of Harris that like, I think is worth paying attention to is that when like in polling, and again like polling is not true like a snapshot, but in polling about who you trust to like handle the economy, they like, she runs ten points behind Trump because he's rich guy people in people's mind, So there's work to be done there, to your point, like, and yeah, the way to do that is not to just like sit back and try not to offend people, but to like have ideas that you can put Yeah there because you get drill for oil, to lower rent cause you're.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get applause if you say the rents too damn high and housing prices are too high, food costs are too high. Yeah, sure, yes, then now fucking articulate what the plan is, like what And I get you've only been in the driver's seat of your own campaign for a little bit, so that is coming. But I think that's truly the next thing, Like the Democrats pass their first challenge by picking a vice president that helped like augment the likability of the ticket, and now the next one is truly going to be like what can you articulate policy wise to now really get people to be invested in what this future is going to because if it's just you know, look at look at Trump, aren't these people fucking weird? You can't fucking coast off that into November, Like it's just impossible. And I know that that is coming because no, like what fucking administration or potential administration doesn't articulate those things. But this is the next thing that will help, you know, get more people interested in what this this ticket looks like or be more deflated. And yeah, I think after I think a lot of people saw that comment to protesters who are just you know, speaking up on behalf of Palestinians, and we're like, ah, man, like that's it's a huge issue that like a lot of a lot of people are concerned with. But I think for them, they probably see this as like as a minority of people and if they can just kind of whatever they can they can there's probably more people that don't care than do care. And maybe that's their calculus, but I think it's, yeah, there's a lot of there's work to be done, there's work to be.
Speaker 1: Done, there's work sure, all right, that is going to do it for us this afternoon. We are back tomorrow with the whole ast episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the back team, get the flu shot, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Fight five