Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is alive from coast to coast with Caroline Hyde in New York and Eva low in sentrancs.
Speaker 2: Go this is Bloomberg Tech coming up. Open Ai links stock slump after the Wall Street Journal reported that the company failed to meet its own sales and user targets.
Speaker 3: Plus, a jury has been selected for the trial between some altman and musk, who claims open ai abandoned its founding mission.
Speaker 4: Arguments begin today.
Speaker 2: And Late night host Jimmy Kimmel has defended comments he made that prompted President Trump to call for him to be fired.
Speaker 5: We head to Hollywood for the latest.
Speaker 3: First, we head to these markets and they are under pressure. Yes, geopolitical tension is still loom large, and we think a lot about Iran and the straight orfor moves, But we also think about what's currently happening in the cell of related to techniques. Quarter percent on the Nasdaq, one hundred worse day in a month. Why you're going to get to those details. It's all open ai related.
Speaker 5: Yep. Look at this board.
Speaker 2: These are the soft bank US listed shares that have tens of billions of dollars of exposure to open ai Core Weave clear Neocloud exposure to open ai Oracle, the primary infrastructure partner for open Ai. The journal reporting that open Ai missed its own metrics financial ones for twenty twenty five, and contemporaneously Caro the user number is not where they want it to be.
Speaker 3: It's not and this is all reporting for the Wall Street Journal. We want to dig into that. Bloomberg Tech editor Seth Figgerman, what is the biggest anxiety for investors? Is it that they're not yet at a billion users and have been hoped by investors thus far? Is it more the revenues that aren't hitting internal targets?
Speaker 4: What is it about this reporting?
Speaker 6: I'd say probably more of the revenue sag of things. Ultimately, this company is still growing pretty fast, but if they fall short of their own expectations, even by a margas de mal in my affair to the wider AI ecosystem. As a reminder, as we've reported, Opening has increasingly set itself up at the center of this complex web of investments from ship suppliers and cloud providers, and if it has to reduce in any form it's commitment to the infrastructure spending. It could have ripple effects for the wider AI landscape.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to go through what the journal reported. Chat GPT missed its annual revenue target in twenty five, it missed its internal full year revenue goal, and then for twenty six, monthly revenue targets are behind. And the big one probably is the billion figure for Chat GPT uses. Again all Wall Street Journal reporting, and I note that in that story there is a pretty strong statement from both Sarah Fryer, the CFO, and COO Sam Oltman. What's the logic here of why we see all these stocks react. It's just their partners or what?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that their partners and ultimately if Opening I has to rethink hundreds of billions of dollars plans to spend in the next five to ten years on DIGA centers and ships that could have ripple effects for a lot of these partners. Now, I will say you alluded to some pushback here. We're also hearing directly from Opening eyeing a statement that they're saying their business is firing on all cylinders quote end quote right now with strong growth in their nascent advertising efforts on the consumer side, as well as with their enterprise product. Now they're not spelling out their financial details, neither is the Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 3: All of this so puts the question of the IPO in the balance as well, and just the rush to be able to raise more funds publicly, does that matter in this context, particularly if we are seeing that it questions whether they're going to be able to finance that going forward for more compute.
Speaker 6: I think it certainly matters in probably a couple different ways. One, if their business is not where they want it to be, that's going to add pressure for them to maybe delay a little bit longer before going public. But Two, if the question here is why are they not where they want to be, it seems likely that's because of the pressure they're facing from Google, an anthropic the lagger of which also wants to go public as soon as this year. So if it's facing off against possibly as sendan rival, that's going to make it even that much harder to pitch Wall Street.
Speaker 2: So for part of the Open AI story, and in the Wall Street Journal's reporting and others reporting, is this concern that Sarah Fryer has revenues aren't growing at the same pace that justifies all the spending, and when you're going to IPO, that's a bit worrying if you're going to put down in front of investors, what do we know in that standpoint?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, look what this company is publicly said as I think last year, they were around thirteen billion dollars in revenue. As of February, after they announced the mammoth funding round, they said that they were generating two billion dollars in revenue a month, So you can do the math there. It's still a fast growing company. But in order to justify six hundred billion dollars and infra spending, which is what they've said, you need to be growing up bit faster than that. And Sam Alman has previously sounded quite bullish on the prospects to grow this business quite fast up to one hundred billion dollars in revenue in the coming years. If that's going to happen at a slower pace, they might need to rethink some of their data center build out plans.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Seth Fighman, thank you, Bloomberg Intelligence out with the React Senior tech handlist, and rag Rana writing that if open ai s sales were to miss as reported by the Wall Street Journal, it could have an impact across the entire AI infrastructure ecosystem, and a rag joins us, Now, what's so interesting about this, Like the market's response is, oh, we actually now do need evidence of demand. Right, we know about the infrastructure spend that data we've got. What we don't have is what's coming out the other side. How are you computing that?
Speaker 7: So when we look at the entire cloud infrastructure demand, I mean that still remains very solid. Whether that's transferred from open ai to Entropic. That is the big story that we are discussing here is whether this promise that openei has made to Oracle, to Amazon, to Microsoft to goal bed, you know, how good is that promise over the long term. And I think that's the contention point. But frankly, if you were to put that aside, the demand for cloud infrastructure remains extremely strong right now, and partially driven by Anthropic and all the coding tools that we have seen over the last six months.
Speaker 3: What's so interesting is cool we've come out with a statement from a spokesperson's saying all we see is more demand than there is supply when it comes to compute, right Now that exactly leans into where you see anaag So if there was one player pulling back, there's immediately enough demand to fill that supply.
Speaker 7: See for somebody like poor Vid, absolutely they can backfil it with because they have agreements with Meta, they have agreements with Microsoft. So I mean, given their scale, it's not a big deal. And I would say the same thing for both Amazon and Microsoft because they have enough backlock coming from other places. The thing is over here. Oracle is the one where open Ai has the largest commitment, which was three hundred billion dollars plus. Now this is where you would see that how will that number shape up in the coming years? You know, I would argue that even if things were really fine with open Ai and there were no changes, there could be some transfer of that demand from Oracle to potentially Amazon's web services because when open Ai and Oracle signed that deal, Amazon was not in the picture. Amazon recently got included in the pie and the opening I made one hundred billion plus commitment with them, So you know, if they're going to cut back somewhere, I think the my gut instinct is it's going to come more from Oracle than anybody else.
Speaker 3: And we see the share price reaction in Oracle today, of course along with everyone else. Ana rag Can I just go back to one area that has been reported is that open Ai had turned to its own investors saying, the reason we can stay ahead and perhaps fend off competition like an anthropic is we've got more compute. Is that a winning formula for these llms right now?
Speaker 7: So that is the traditional mindset that the more compute that you have, the better your model is going to be. So far that trick has been working in a sense, that model, that concept of uh, you know, you could say scaling laws have been working. I just don't know how that shapes up in the next iteration of model and how big of a clusters do you need to train them?
Speaker 3: And rag Rana out with the react, out with the boommeg intelligence. We so appreciate it. Let's get broader market perspective. Tiffany Wadees say with US Columbia thread Needle Investments senior portfolio manager, It's interesting how much the market reacts to this particular reporting. Is there reason to have anxiety that companies are good for the compute demand right now?
Speaker 4: I think we're going to.
Speaker 8: See that the compute demand continues to persist. There's so much demand, and it's not just from Anthropic and open Ai. It's really across the economy that we're seeing demand for more processing power. So I expect the spending is going to continue. But I get why we're seeing some of the stock reactions on a news report like this, especially across the tech in the semi space, where these stocks have been up almost forty percent over the last month, So it kind of makes sense that we're seeing them take a breather on a big bit of a negative news report. But I don't think that we're going to see that the story for infrastructure, you know, spaying demand has cracked.
Speaker 2: Tiffany, I'm right in saying that Alphabet parent of Google is one of your top holdings, one of your.
Speaker 5: Top names, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, what we've looked at is obviously the chaos in the moment, there's a big move in the session, But this is a longer term chart, and it shows that Alphabet exposed stocks have massively outperformed open Ai exposed stocks. We can get into the definition of but each but what does that chart tell you about your own thesis and conviction on Google?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think we're seeing the divergence here, and the charts really happen according to the competitiveness of the models that have been released by both companies. Right, So, Google for a while was being perceived as a bit of a loser because their models were maybe not as good as what we were seeing come out of open Ai an anthropic and that changed last year when they released some of their newer Gemini models and then they were seen as more of a winner. And I think that caused some of that divergence and the performance between those baskets of stocks that are linked to Google and that are linked to open Ai. And certainly this continues to sort of push that narrative around how competitive are open ai models versus the competitors.
Speaker 2: Let's bring it back to today's top story. Stocks that have an association with open Ai are selling off pretty hard on the basis that the journal reported it missed prior year financial targets internal and it's still not where it wants to be on CHATGBT users. It seems like now we do need some more evidence of demand on a longer term basis. We're not just focused on the capex input. Is that where your head's at Tiffany.
Speaker 4: I think that's right.
Speaker 8: I don't think the demand overall is slowing. We're seeing amazing numbers coming out of Anthropic. They've taken up their revenue targets significantly over.
Speaker 4: The course of the year. There could be a couple.
Speaker 8: Things that are causing open ai to grow a little bit slower, and part of it could be that they're losing a bit of market share to Nthropic. Anthropic with their cloud code product, has been a massive hit so far this year. Open Ai was a couple months behind and releasing their Codex product. Their exclusivity agreement with Microsoft may also have been a bit of a headwind to enterprise adoption, but yesterday that agreement was renegotiated, so we might see some more opportunity for open Ai on some of the other cloud providers as more models become available elsewhere. So I think we might see some of those proof points around the growth given just you know, having the ability to sell this Codex product across more platforms, and also the ability to sell their models across a wider array of models across aws and then also across the Google Cloud platform.
Speaker 3: And that proof point comes in earnings. I mean we're all just holding our breath for this week to really see how much capital expenditure continues to come from these megaplays.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, I don't think we'll know the answer Frobe and I specifically this week, but we'll certainly see if the demand continues to hold up. I think we'll be watching very closely to see the revenue growth and potentially continued sort of acceleration in revenue growth for the cloud services providers, and then also what they have to say about capex plans. It's likely that we'll continue to hear the companies say that their capacity constrained, which may lead to increased CAPEX expenditures.
Speaker 4: For the year.
Speaker 2: Tiffany, let's put the academic side of this to one side. AI is developing. AI is potentially good for the world. This is Bloomberg. We do business. So what's the metric by which we set the world order of who is leading in the field? Open AI andthropic alphabet meta XAI.
Speaker 5: How do you establish a rank?
Speaker 8: I think some of the things we're looking for, certainly user growth when we're thinking about the model providers, So at the moment, it seems like anthropic is leading. Also their focus on enterprise demand has clearly been a benefit for them versus open AI shifting demand towards enterprise or their focus towards enterprise later on. And then for the cloud providers, we're really looking for that acceleration in the revenue for the cloud businesses as an indicator that demand continues to grow and that they're starting to generate some good returns off of the spending that they are committed to.
Speaker 3: From your perspective, the hard way, you opened this up by saying, no, wonder we perhaps get a pullback because the market is run so high, But is it for the twenty twenty six hardware wins, infrastructure wins. Software is still at play and still an anxiety ridden space right now.
Speaker 8: I think we're going to see that continue to be the playbook for the year. I wouldn't be surprised if we took a little bit of a breather on some of the semiconductor stocks I mentioned. They're up almost forty percent over the last month, so potentially quite crowded here going into the rest of earnings. But I think that that narrative probably continues for the rest of the year, where we're seeing very good demand, very good backlog for all of the hardware companies, and these questions continue to linger about sort of the business model for software and SaaS companies.
Speaker 2: Tiffany Wade of Columbia, Fred deed Or, It's been a robust, timely, and very useful conversation, Thank you very much. Now coming up, President Trump is once again criticizing late night host Jimmy Kimmel and calling for him to be fired.
Speaker 5: We had the details of that next.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, President Trump is speaking in Washington where he's welcoming King Charles IID at the White House.
Speaker 5: That's listen it.
Speaker 9: We're the two great leaders met was called the Prince of Wales the very time that his Majesty the King held longer than any other individual in British history, and he held it with great pride and respect. It said that when Prime Minister Churchill first met this future King many decades ago, he was so impressed. He made the statement, he is so young to think so much and so well. And the bust of your great Prime Minister rests proudly again in the Oval Office. I'm very proud to bring it back. We brought it back throughout His Majesty's life. The world has witnessed that same thoughtfulness which first struck Britain's greatest Prime Minister. His Majesty's intellect, passion, and devotion have been a long, really a long, a blessing, blessing to the British people, but not only to his own country, but to the cherished bond between the United States and the United Kingdom. And I am very certain that it will continue that way long into the future. In a few hours, his Majesty will stand in the heart of the United States Capital as the very first British King ever to address a joint session of the United States Congress. So he's going to be addressing.
Speaker 5: Congress.
Speaker 10: Said, I'm going to be watching.
Speaker 9: I was thinking of going, but they said, I don't know. That might be a step two foot.
Speaker 10: I would love to go.
Speaker 9: It's not supposed to be protocol, but I would love to be with you. But there, the direct descendant of King George the Third will speak to the direct successor of the very body that gathered in Independence Hall and July fourth, seventeen seventy six. If John Adams and George Washington, or the King's fifth great grandfather could see that site, they might be absolutely shocked, but probably only for a moment. Surely they would be delighted that the wounds of war healed into the most cherished friendship. Think of that very, very long ago, difficult war, and yet those wounds did indeed heal into the most cherished of friendships, most cherished. They would be moved beyond words to know that the soldiers who once called each other redcoats and Yankees became the Tommys and the Gis who together saved the free world as brothers in arms and brothers in eternity. And no, no, but he fought better together than us. If they could see us today.
Speaker 11: I agree that hateful and violent rhetoric is something we should reject. I do, and I think a great place to start to dial that back would be to have a conversation with your husband about it. Because, by the way, I also should point out Donald Trump is allowed to say whatever he wants to say, as are you and as am I, as are all of us, because under the First Amendment, we have as Americans a right to free speech.
Speaker 2: Jimmy Kimmel there defending a joke he made last week that prompted President Donald Trump to call for ABC to fire the late night host. Let's get the details on this latest fight between Kimmel and the President with Lucas Shaw, who leads our screen time team out of LA and Hollywood.
Speaker 5: Where do we start, Lucas.
Speaker 2: I mean, there is a chronology to what happened over the last seven days, but the net result is that the President has called for Jimmy Kimmel to be fired.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, we we've It feels a little bit like deja vu, which which Kimmel talked about on television last night. It was it was you know, six months ago, give or take. I think it was maybe seven where you know, the the chairman of the FCC, Brendan Carr, President Trump, we're calling for Kimmel to be fired by by Disney and ABC or calling on stations to come after Kimmel. But that's one of the big differences this time versus last time, is you know, Disney reacted very swiftly, in part because some of the biggest local station owners which carried the kind of ABC on their on their local networks, were asking for Kimmel to be fired or asking for him to be off the air because of comments he'd made at the time regarding Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 10: You know this time, they they aren't doing that. They've been pretty silent.
Speaker 2: Lucas in October, after that first dispute, you had an extended conversation with Kimmel on stage in Los Angeles at our screen time event. So the Bloomberg Tech audience around the world that may not understand this, right, they don't necessarily know Jimmy Kimmel. They may they don't understand why the president is so engaged over what Jimmy Kimmell has to say. Just give us the basics of his show, its reach, why this is happening.
Speaker 12: Look, Jimmy Kimmel hosts one of the three main late night talk shows on American broadcast TV. You've got the show on CBS by Stephen Colbert, which is about to go away. You've got the show on NBC hosted by Jimmy Fallon, and then Kimmel on ABC. You know, he is not known, or, at least for most of his career, was not known as a political comedian, but over the last several years has gotten far more out spoken on politics and has been a really frequent thorn in the side of President Trump. Trump does not like to get made fun of and is someone who still cares about late night television. And so they've had sort of public jousting again and again, and I think this time, you know, Disney didn't.
Speaker 10: Kimmel off the air. Kimmel was not.
Speaker 12: You know, he is finding a way to consistently tweak the president while also trying to not cross the line as he has done in the past.
Speaker 3: Kimmel did say he was sorry for what Trump the first Lady and everyone at the dinner this is a White House correspondence dinner went through. But question whether really the joke was in any way relationship to them what occurred over the weekend. That is the context here, Lucas, how do we see therefore, maybe any friend and car comments coming further? Do you anticipate or you're bracing yourself for any further reaction?
Speaker 12: Mark, you made a crucial point, which is that Jimmy Kimmel made a joke that we can debate whether or not it was in good taste or not, but it was made prior to the incident and the White House correspondent to dinner over the weekend, so it's not like he was making light of that situation.
Speaker 10: Because the comments were edgy.
Speaker 12: They have been weaponized by the Trump administration once again to show that Kimmel is.
Speaker 10: A bad guy.
Speaker 12: Is it possible that s see in that the FCC and Brendan Carr come after Kimmel, or more specifically, come after Disney and those ABC station licenses, kind of anything as possible. Brendan Carr has behaved in a manner that is unlike any FCC chair.
Speaker 10: Before, but we don't know yet what they're planning to do.
Speaker 3: Away, As Luka shaw As always across it, we appreciate you. China is moving from regulation to intervention in an unprecedented geo political power play. Hijiping is attempting to block a Meta deal that has already closed new works. Peter Elstrom has more on Beijing's move to exert extra territorial influence over Silicon Valley. Is that how it's being seen, Peter, I'm really interested in we understand how Meta and mannas. Yesterday we covered why that deal might be being getting pushed back from China, But how does it affect other companies.
Speaker 4: That have been born in China and moved elsewhere.
Speaker 13: Well, China for a long time has been able to exercise these regulatory powers that are far beyond what you see in other countries. We know a course about their crackdown on Jack Man, Ali Baba and the Ant Group, for example. Probably the closest thing to what we're seeing right now with Manus is when d D the ride hailing company, they're listed on the New York Stock Exchange and then actually I had to reverse course and pull its listing, and so what they're trying to do here is quite similar in a lot of ways. They're trying to go to Meta, even though it's already closed this deal and get them to undo the acquisition of Manus. It's not clear how that would happen. As we talked about yesterday, the money has already been distributed to the shareholders of Manus. It's not clear whether they can get those checks back and actually return them. And it's also not clear how they're going to undo some of the technology sharing that we've already seen. Manus has already shared a bunch of their technology with Meta at this point, so it's not clear that you can actually undo this and what it would mean to actually undo it at this stage of the process.
Speaker 2: There is a case study mirror mind, Peter, correct me if I haven't said that right. But this is a business that has a US component and a Chinese component, and we've reported that the founder is looked at the manner situation and said, Okay, I'm taking action in light of the latest policy position from China.
Speaker 13: That's right, yeah, And this is a sign of how Chinese entrepreneurs or entrepreneurs with their roots in China are now being very careful about this geopolitical divide between China and the United States in particular. So in this case, you said it exactly right.
Speaker 10: It's Mirolen.
Speaker 4: Mind.
Speaker 13: This is a founder Chen who was famous for starting a games company called Shanda. He's decided that he needs to quarantine the Chinese business and the US business from each other. They've set up strict restrictions between those operations to make sure that they don't share data, they don't share code between the two operations. They can run them separately at this point, and I think that's a sign more broadly for these Chinese entrepreneurs who are starting up a bunch of very very interesting companies within the country at this point. Some of them in the past have looked to move to Singapore, or to perhaps distance themselves. That's actually what Man has tried to do, but it's not clear that that's going to work unless you go to Singapore separately, start up your company separately there, and then don't leave anything behind in China. So it's a tricky situational overall for these entrepreneurs.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Peter Alstrom, who's the executive editor leading our coverage of Asia tech, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: We check in on these markets which are under pressure, and that's like one hundred having the worst day in a month at the moment as big tech pulls.
Speaker 4: Back, and we'll get into the reasoning around that.
Speaker 3: But one key stock that's on the downside, of course, European born but US traded Spotify off by twelve percent.
Speaker 4: I think it's worst day since twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: This after earnings come in lackluster or according to Bloomberg Intelligence, second quarter gross margin forecast implies a very modest expansion from the fiscal first quarter, and they say it's going to fuel concerns that AI music is taking market share. Let's talk more about AI because that is what's seeing tech under pressure today.
Speaker 4: Not the geopolitical.
Speaker 3: Overhang, but what's happening with open ai. Reporting from the Wall Street Journal that it's missing internal targets for growth on user base, for growth on revenues, and it tugs down the ecosystem that surrounds open ai. Oracle, It's infrastructure player down by four percent, arm holdings with its relationship with soft Bank, or by more than eight percent, geeven no, but even the electricity infrastructure that's meant to be going into future compute it's down by five percent.
Speaker 13: Ed.
Speaker 4: This is a broad reaction, Okay.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Equities reported Carmen Rhyanikey is with us.
Speaker 5: I mean, how broad right?
Speaker 2: You know, we looked very closely at Oracle and its exposure to open ai, the neoclouds core. We even obvious example carriage touched on power. Does it go beyond that? In the market this.
Speaker 14: Morning, yeah, I mean, I think we're seeing kind of any stock that's really linked to open ai under pressure this morning. And really the reason behind that is that there's concerns if they're not meeting these targets, are they going to be able to meet the sort of myriad of commitments that they've made with other companies through all the deals that they have. It's really bringing back those fears around circular financing that we saw kind of at the beginning of the year, and investors have maybe started to overlook a little bit as maybe they've shifted to, you know, looking at capax and return on investment for some of this AI spending. So we're seeing really broad based pressure here. It's also important to note I think that open ai linked stocks have underperformed those linked to Alphabet, so that's the other thing here. There's just more competition in this space overall that it's putting pressure on open ai and investors are really taking note of that.
Speaker 3: Common It is interesting that Opening I have come back falsely and known statements to Bloomberg saying they're firing on all the cylinders. What's interesting is all cylinders going to be firing, and earnings coming up day to this week. That just show where the capital expenditure is there, whether they're more broadly, the compute story is there, even if it's being reshuffled around some of the llms.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 14: I think investors were already looking at these reports coming up, especially all the hyperscalers on Wednesday with a high level of scrutiny, and I think this raises the bar. Right we're looking at CAPEX we want to see. I think that spending is still happening, but any pullback would be an issue. And then on the flip side, the return on investment, like what these companies are seeing from all this spending is just going to be paramount.
Speaker 5: What next, corbon.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's weird, but for the first thirty two minutes and thirty seconds of the show, we haven't mentioned that there are trillions and trillions of dollars of market cap reporting earnings imminently and that could turn the entire tech market on its head exactly.
Speaker 14: I mean, we have a huge slate of reports that are coming up later this week. I mean Wednesday again we get the four biggest hyper scalers, We get Apple on Thursday.
Speaker 4: Qualcoms in the mix as well.
Speaker 14: So there's so much money you know, in the market coming from AI that's tied to AI, and we're going to get results from these companies this week, and investors have been reacting very strongly, sort of pricing in either the very best case scenario or the very worst case scenario. I think we conceded day with how the market, these tech stocks are moving. So these are these reports coming up are going to be so important and they're going to swing, you know, the entire market. So we're really just waiting to see what happens. I think it's an eighty second spread on Wednesday that we get four of the biggest companies you know in the AI story reporting. So it's going to be it's going to be a really fun day.
Speaker 3: Brace Brace most common Rhyanicky, Thank you very much. Indeed, now let's turn to other open ai news right now making headlines today. A jury has been selected for the trial between the AI firm and Elon Musk, who claims that the company open Ai abandoned its fouling mission as a nonprofit. Arguments begin today, But regardless of the outcome, bloom My Opinion rebord to Dave Lee says it's a win for mask. They've you're with us now, and in many ways is it the distraction that ends up winning for XAI and Elon.
Speaker 15: Musk here right, I think if you're Elon Musk, you're looking at open ai and thinking there's a competitor that reduces musks chances of capturing more of the AI market. We know SpaceX is looking to go public very very soon, and Xai the AI company, is part of that. And what this case is doing at the very very least is putting a cloud over open AI's own efforts to go public themselves. You know, as this is overhanging them, there's a chance if it really goes against open ai that they'd have to unwind their for profit business and go back to the non profit structure that they're originally set up in which Elon Musk says he's seeking to create open Ai. Of course, say, you know Elon Musk is being disingenuous. He wants to be rich from ai as well. He was behind a for profit restructuring for open ai, and that this is just a ploy to slow them down. Well, it's a ploy that is already working and could get more effective depending on how the court ends up ends up seeing it.
Speaker 2: Okay, the title of your column is open ai is shedding baggage. Now it needs a jury's help, Dave Lee, what baggage? Just be a bit more specific?
Speaker 10: Where do you begin?
Speaker 15: I mean, look, we've seen today this issue of having user and revenue growth issues, but one of the things that's been affecting open ai recently is this idea that it's doing too many things and that, and it's some of this deal making has tied it in knots. So for example, on Monday, we saw that open ai had renegotiated and already renegotiated deal with Microsoft over computed over access to frontier models. That's a good bit of baggage to get out of the way because it brings some clarity to their deal with Microsoft, which has kind of gone sour over the last couple of years. Other baggage includes what the company was calling side quests, so we saw it close down sour. The video app that was kind of popular but was really expensive to run, didn't really seem to have much in the way of generating enough revenue to make it worth it for open Ai.
Speaker 10: These are all little things.
Speaker 15: That sam Utman I think, in his sheer enthusiasm to try and do everything, are now as the company prepares for an IPO, seen as a distraction, seen of strains on the balance sheet. You know, this is a company that's going to show that even though it's going to be losing money for quite some time up until at least twenty thirty is the projection. So they've got to be shown to be raining in some of those costs to at least be heading in the right direction. The biggest bit of baggage, or one of the largest bits of baggage, I used to say, is this trial, though, which is why, as I said, they need they need a jury's help.
Speaker 10: With some of this.
Speaker 4: Well, they've got the jury. They have opening statements. In fact, Samulmon and.
Speaker 3: Greg Brotman were at the court yesterday, which was a surprise to some. We are expecting a lot of other previous and current Open Air executives to take the stand, right Yeah.
Speaker 15: I mean what Open a Eye has been a soap opera in Silicon Value. You had Sam Hartman forced out briefly back after a weekend. You've had staff leaving starting their own companies, and Thropic of course, is one of those. Mira Morati has started her own company. She was formerly Open AI. Having some of this laid out on the stand is going to be wonderful for people like I feel it's gonna be very uncomfortable for some of those really sort of at the center of this. There's a lot of egos here. There's a lot of you know, bad blood, I think between some of these former colleagues. But that's what happens, you know, when you're at the center of what. For the last couple of years, I think we can say it's one of the most exciting and talked about companies in the world. So plenty to enjoy, and we've got a couple of weeks, a few weeks of it to enjoy starting today.
Speaker 2: That was That is Bloomberg opinion columnist Daily. We haven't worn him out just yet. Now, coming up on the show, space startup True Anominally raises a new funding round, a big one, as it aims to speed up production of its orbital defense tech. We're going to talk to the CEO next. This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 4: True Anomaly.
Speaker 3: It's close to six hundred and fifty million dollar series defunding around, valuing the company at two point two billion.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 3: The space startup is among a dozen companies recently named to work on inter for the Golden Dome missile defense shield as well to Anominally. CEO Evan Rodgers joins us, it's been a.
Speaker 4: Busy few days.
Speaker 10: That's good, very busy.
Speaker 3: Let's focus on the funding round. First, where do you deploy that capital? What really injects the growth of the business.
Speaker 16: We're really stepping up alongside guardians in the Space Force. The Space Force budget and FY twenty seven is expected to be seventy two billion. That tells you a lot about the kinds of capabilities the United States Space Force needs to build to counter China and Russia. We are investing in the staff and the products and the infrastructure that's necessary to come alongside guardians to build combat capability for space warfare.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about your products.
Speaker 3: What makes you unique, distinct and additive to the others? Forerosius out there in the world of defense tech, it's a really hot space.
Speaker 16: So I served ten years in the Air Force and then transition into the United States Space Force, and what I saw from the defense industrial base is a focus on dual use technologies and there's good reason for that. But because space is now a warfighting domain, it's very clear that the operational concepts for space warfare necessitate dedicated space warfighting system. They have a completely different performance envelope than commercial capabilities. They're quite literally going to get shot at, and so our focus is on clean sheet design to deploy operational concepts into the domain. So Jackal, for example, our first product is a clean sheet space to space engagement platform. It's not designed to do anything else other than protection and surveillance.
Speaker 10: Of the domain.
Speaker 2: Evan, We're very excited about this domain. Right, space is a warfighting domain the technology you're doing. But I'm going to try and bring it back down to Earth a little bit for the Bloomberg Tech audience. So, Jackal, you mentioned it's a highly maneuverable vehicle. It moves around other satellites in orbit. Explain the basics of that, right, Our audience is chuineing in and going okay, So space is a warfighting domain. You make vehicles that are in space and it moves around other satellites.
Speaker 5: Take it from there, that's right.
Speaker 16: Our adversaries deploy into orbits that we don't necessarily have capabilities in. For example, geosynchronous orbit, which is twenty two thousand miles from the surface of the Earth, is a long way for a great based telescope to be able to really characterize what our adversaries are doing. So we need systems that have the maneuverability, the fuel, the acceleration to be able to chase those targets down and take pictures of them. The first the foundation of combat capability is intelligence, and so the first order of business is to really understand what our adversaries are up to in space, and Jackal is purpose built to go after highly maneuverable targets.
Speaker 2: Evan who's the counterpart to true anomally? Does China have a company or a competence in the same domain that you think about.
Speaker 16: China doesn't have necessarily a company that's focused on space warfighting, but their entire military industrial complex is blended with their commercial their commercial manufacturing and infrastructure. So everything that China does really for civil or war for commercial has military applications and we're starting to see that, particularly in their intelligence platforms. So that China over the last several years has deployed about thirteen hundred spacecraft into lower forbit about five hundred of those are intelligence platfs. Those intelligence platforms are designed to track terrestrial forces, so maritime forces, aviation systems, and ground capabilities. So there's really it's very difficult for the United States to maneuver globally without China seeing where we're going.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the United States but because you build exclusively from I understand for the United States government, will that expand will there be others that you want.
Speaker 4: To serve here?
Speaker 16: Right now, we focus on the United States because that's where the problem is and also where there are substantial budgets focused on space superiority. But we're starting to see our allies build the rhetoric and build the policy to support space war fighting. The UK, France, Japan in particular really lean forward into space warfighting. They have their own dependencies on space capabilities, but the budgets need to follow. We are happy to partner with our allies, but the budgets are really not following, and there's a focus on nationalized capabilities.
Speaker 3: The budgets have been there, but some would still say perhaps this spending on smaller companies by the by the Pentagon still somehow needs to be shown a little bit more. Are you really confident that the spending will be there for you?
Speaker 4: I mean, already you've been announced on Friday to be part of Goldendale.
Speaker 16: There is a shift in the way that the Defense Department, or rather the Department of War, is acquiring systems, and it really biases and creates an opening towards new companies like Truronomially. They're focused on firm, fixed price contracts, capital partnerships, long term contracts that allow for a rational ROI, and that's an opening for truronomally to step into that gap and deliver capabilities. And we're truly unique in the marketplace. I mean space warfighting is one of the most rapidly growing areas of investment for the Department of War forty billion this year, in spending seventy two billion this year, twenty billion of which is in space control is the highest growth market.
Speaker 10: And we're stepping in.
Speaker 2: Evan Rodgers CEO true anomally six hundred and fifty million dollars Series D two point two billion dollar valuation.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much, all right, Carroy, So use headlines PAD.
Speaker 3: Talking Tech aired first up. Hong Kong is betting on light. Shares of Light Intelligence skyrocketed three hundred and eighty four percent in their trading debut today, giving the company a market value of over ten million dollars. With heavy backing from Ali, Baba and Temasek. The firm is aiming to revolutionize AI inference by using light instead of electricity to process data. Plus ELI Lily is turning to artificial intelligence to design the next generation of medicine. The farmer Giant has deal worth up to two and two zero point two five billion with AI startup Profluent to find new ways to edit DNA so The deal is part of Lily's growing investment in AI, and the company ass struck at least fifteen AI related deals in the last five years. According to Bloomberg Intelligence A manifestos, it's the quote AI native law firm just closed a sixty million dollar Series A at seven hundred and fifty million dollar valuation. The platform aims to help small firm lawyers automate the grunt work and shift towards outcome based pricing. Look Their mission is to make legal services immigration tech, for example, accessible to all through AI. Investors include Mellow Ventures, Klina Perkins, and First Round Capital.
Speaker 2: Shell is entering what CEO Yol Sawan calls an inflection point. The company agreed by Canadian oil and gas producer ARC Resources for thirteen point six billion dollars. It's biggest deal in more than a decade. Is it seeks to sustain output in the long term. Joining US now from London is Shell CEO while Swan. The obvious question is why Canada and why now? But the way that a lot of people are looking at this WIO is the geopolitical bet on safe, safe energy supply.
Speaker 5: How much were you thinking about that?
Speaker 17: I'd start off by saying, actually, this is just an important point on the journey that we have been on, a journey that started over three years ago where we said we want to methodically transform the company, and that's what we've been doing. And so the inflection point came that as we continue to deliver performance, discipline, simplification and show we felt that it was time to look at more and more capital reallocation and we felt that we had earned the right to be able to grow. And so the announcement yesterday for ARC was essentially just a step in that journey that we have been on. We had been looking at ARC for over two years and so that of course predated the Middle East crisis. I've particularly been attracted to multiple elements of ARC. I mean, first and foremost, this is a liquid rich play, high quality resource, low cost, long duration in a terrific basin like the Montny basin, with low carbon intensity molecules, and so we liked that piece of it. We like the synergies, the adjacency to our own assets and the integration into LNG Canada, our LERG project in Canada, their and then thirty We really liked the people, We liked the culture that they had developed over thirty years. And so this world predated the crisis, but of course always helpful to be able to have diverse sources, source of supply to meet the growing energy demands around the world.
Speaker 3: So a growing demand, does that mean you have a growing production, a growing supply into the twenty thirties with this additive deal, While.
Speaker 17: Absolutely so, we had in the past guided to a one percent cager growth between now and twenty thirty for our ail and gas production. On the back of this deal, we have guided to a four percent per cager, so a significant growth uptick between twenty twenty five and twenty thirty. But importantly as well, it gives a long duration growth platform. It allows us to add one hundred and fifty thousand barrels per day of liquids out in twenty thirty five, and the inventory we're talking about is well above fifteen years of inventory into up to twenty five years in certain areas, and so this is just an exciting growth platform that is underpinned in my mind with the liquids opportunity, but also with significant optionality for the gas through our existing plant and possibly through a second phase of that development that we have in Llergy, Canada.
Speaker 2: We will talk more about this deal, but it's been about ten years since I last attended an OPEC meeting and this is a massive story the UA leaving OPEK. What's your reaction to that? But I think more importantly, what do you think it will do to global oil markets?
Speaker 17: Yeah, difficult to call, I mean, very very early days, and of course I'll leave it to the UE leaders and to OPEK a pine on it. What I would say is, you know, OPEK is roughly a third of the overall liquids production of the world, and undoubtedly demand for liquids continues to grow, and I mean by that oil condensate and so on.
Speaker 4: And so forth.
Speaker 17: The most important influence of OPEC has typically been in who has the spare capacity and how do they choose to deploy that spare capacity, And so that will be I think the calculate that will have to be made in the coming weeks, months, and years for a company like ours, of course, our focus has been on indeed diversifying production. We have production in OPEC countries and non OPEC countries, but also importantly continuing to make sure that we look at new horizons to be able to grow our production, and that, of course we do through both expiration and MNA deals like what we've done for example here in Canada. And so I think at the end of the day, what will be important will be supply demand balances. We know that those are going to be tight for at least the coming months, if not at least the next year plus given the closure on the industrates. The question will be longer term, how does all that pan out? And I think that's too soon to call at the moment.
Speaker 2: What is the environment that you close this deal in? How tight are global energy markets right now? We're thinking a lot on this program Bloomberg talk about energy security, but Asia, in Europe, it's hard to gauge the severity how real a supply crunch is.
Speaker 17: The markets are tight. I won't play down at all. You know, we're talking about nine hundred million barrels that have not been produced in the last couple of months, and that's been replaced by essentially draw down. We're now sort of starting to reach some relatively low levels. We're talking about demand curtailment in certain areas, we're talking about fuel switching. So this is profound and not just for oil, by the way, it also plays in of course for LNG. Twenty percent of the global LNG production comes from the Middle East, and all this is happening with the backdrop of sustained growth in energy demand, of which to your point ed, some of it is being of course contributed to by the growth in AI and technology demands exactly. And so it is indeed a tight situation, and this is why it's incumbent upon us the energy sector to continue you to invest in all forms of energy to make sure that we are able to provide that energy to support multiple countries as they're looking to both grow in their own in their own consumption of energy, but also those that are looking to underpin their AI and technology journeys ahead.
Speaker 4: So while should investors expect more MNA coming from you, look this.
Speaker 17: We've always talked about the bar for MNA being a high bar, and I absolutely hold on to that this deal crossed that high threshold that we had. We didn't need to do this deal, by the way, for avoidance of that, we were very comfortable being able to meet our commitments out to twenty thirty and potentially to continue to methodically add resources to our overall funnel. This deal worked out perfectly because of the arbitrage in where share prices were. We got the bumps because of our at performance recently, and of course some of the the tail wins from them ad least ARC didn't have the same simply because of the nature of their portfolio. So this worked because of that. The timing was excellent and I think we got a good deal for both sides. But that high bar is going to be held high again and we will only deploy capital to M and A if we really find excellent deals like this.
Speaker 3: And that was in that methodical context. What is in methodical is geopolitics and what's happening in.
Speaker 4: The strait of home moves.
Speaker 3: Have you managed to get any of your ships through the strait?
Speaker 4: What is your exposure right now?
Speaker 17: While now we continue to have multiple ships there. Actually I have a call schedule tomorrow with one of the crews on the ships just to check in on them. It's a tough time. It's a tough time for our people. Our number one priority is the safety of our people, and we await the appropriate signals to be able to move those ships out. As I said, we're trying to focus on keeping morale high, and many here in headquarters and well beyond across the Shell family are looking at everything they can do to be able to meet our customer demands, which which, of course, you know, those demand levels continue to be high, but we're running at roughly fifteen to twenty percent less molecules than we were just two months ago, and so you know, I just continue to be incredibly proud of what everyone in the company has been doing to be able to contribute well.
Speaker 2: So on Shell CEO, Really grateful for your time here on Bloombog Tech.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Care that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech. Really folding in there. What is a need for electricity? A need for energy because the key story is one of compute now to today's story is all about open AI and questioning from the Wall Street Journal whether they're living up to their own growth aims and targets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Journal reported that they missed their own internal metrics, and it was interesting you point out earlier some of their electricity stocks literally fell as well. That's part of the calculus. A lot to recap from this show. You know where to do it on the podcast, online, Apple, Spotify, iHeart on all the Bloomberg platforms as well. Two days into a massive week stay with us. This is Bloomberg Tech