Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Business of Sports. Business of Sports can be intimidating for hard for a start to break into.
Speaker 3: We really appreciate when our owners are actually there, you know, with us through the journey.
Speaker 1: Teams ours especially have been very intentional to diversify at all levels of the company.
Speaker 4: I think we're in the golden gears for the NFL and college football.
Speaker 3: Our demographic reach has continued to expand. This is going to be really unlocking the streaming platform for sports fans.
Speaker 4: Sports valuations are rising, We'll see when they peak.
Speaker 5: You don't have to be the best in your sports to make a whole ton of money.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business of Sports where we explore the big money issues in the world of sports. I'm Scarlett Foo along with Damian Sasaur and special guest hosts Bloomberg Originals, Sports Course, Want, Vanessa Perdomo, Michael barr Is Off this week and later Boomberg Originals. She of course Wonded. Jason Kelly will be joining.
Speaker 4: Us coming up on the show. We'll hear from the CEO of Bet MGM Adam Greenblatt right as we hit the home stretch of the NFL season.
Speaker 6: It's been a tailor of growth over the last four or five years. Benm GM is now in twenty nine different states, serving over fifty percent of the US population with some kind of sports offering, sports betting offering.
Speaker 1: Plus we'll talk you as soccer with Cindy Parlo Cone. She's president of the United States Soccer Federation.
Speaker 3: What we're seeing specifically in soccer is investors that are committed to the game and the people right and wanting to really develop these people and surround these people with great executives around them.
Speaker 1: That conversation and more on the way on the Bloomberg business of sports. But first, big tech companies have been leaning into carrying more live sports on their platforms, none more so than Amazon Prime. Prime has carried the NFL's Thursday Night and even carried games on Black Friday.
Speaker 5: Amazon believes leaning into live sports will get more people into their ecosystem, and it is putting its money where its mouth is. Right now, Amazon is outspending the rest of big tech with live sports, adding NBA games next season, WNBA games, Women's soccer NASCAR and more. That's on top of this huge deal with the NFL.
Speaker 4: For more on Amazon's live sports plans and how it helps the retailer's bottom line, we welcome Bloomberg News Global Business Editor Matt Townsend. Matt, Welcome to the Bloomberg Business of Sports.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for having me, Matt.
Speaker 5: Amazon paid one hundred million dollars for the Black Friday Game, They pay a billion dollars annually for Thursday Night Football, and their new NBA contract is worth nineteen billion dollars. How long can they keep spending like this before they need to raise the cost of prime?
Speaker 2: Good question. I mean the story with prime has always been that it is heavily subjudized and then you're getting way more than what you pay for it. I think it's like one hundred and thirty nine dollars now, I mean the but uh, you know, Ara Budue wrote wrote a story about this, and you know what he gets into in the story is that there's a question mark about you know, is Amazon really making any money off this? Like what is the return on all this investment in sports? Obviously they're not coming out and saying giving us all the details, but you know, they do put ads around these games, you know, TV ads where they have some advertising business. They obviously get people to sign up for stuff, and they're doing all these things with QR code. There was all these prompts to hold up your phone to the screen and to do this QR code.
Speaker 4: So yeah, you know that, Matt, let me jump in here, because that is everywhere, right, these QR codes along the border of yours, of any tell I mean I was on all week and long. You know, is that is that something that's working? Do you have any information on that?
Speaker 2: I think I wrote in his story that you know it was somewhat successful. I mean it wasn't you know. They do that a lot with with their prime content. So I think it is, you know, a behavior that people are starting to do more and more as just consumers, you know, putting up their phone to the TV or whatever screen they're watching and scanning that QR code. Again, my currer codes have been around for a long time, so it's it's kind of funny that that's like the big strategy for a lot of these companies to get you to shop while you're watching TV. But yeah, it mains me seem like, how how far amant that will go with this, you know, and how much of a return they're getting given that they're putting more money into it, they like necessarily signed this big NBA deal, You would think that they are seeing returns. They do see it as a way to bring people into the ecosystem. So yeah, I think I think more of the same is probably to come from.
Speaker 3: Them, Matt.
Speaker 1: I also want to bring in another story that your team has been covering, and that is the sale of the Boston Celtics. We know that it's up for sale, and now it turns out that some Middle East sovereign wealth funds are potential buyers. They've been kind of kicking the tires.
Speaker 2: Yes, we reported this week that the principle owner of the of the of the Celtics was over in Abu Dhabi. It's part of the NBA's annual trip over there in the preseason. The Celtics plays some preseason games, and we reported that Celtics owners have met with one of the sovereign wealth funds over there, and this would be only to buy a passive sort of small stake in the in the in the in the club. But you know, more and more Middle Eastern sovereign wealth funds are sort of the investors of last resort for a lot of sports franchises because it is so much money. So it remains to be seen whether this this specific sovereign wealth fund will invest in in the Celtics. We had some reporting that, you know, these sovereign wealth funds are kind of tired of putting in, you know, getting small passive stakes. They want to they want some say in management. They'd like to try to own, you know, us sports franchises. The leagues at this point aren't allowing that. So the NBA is one of the few leagues right now allows even some love fund to take a small stake. So but it gets that's sort of the push over to the Middle East. The NBA is doing more of this. They're trying to expand internationally and then Release is one of the markets where they think they have a lot of potential.
Speaker 7: And in that market.
Speaker 5: It's interesting obviously Jake and Giles's story they kind of talk about how the NBA is planning on expanding there more and looking at the idea of you know, putting in an office there potentially, which they do have a lot of international offices.
Speaker 7: Obviously, to grow, you know, their footprint.
Speaker 5: But do you think that they're looking at this as a way into getting those sovereign deals done, do you think or.
Speaker 7: Is it just they actually see a market there in the fandom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's probably a little of both. I think. I mean, they definitely are courting some wealth funds. You know, they have deep pockets. They want to they'd love to get them into ownership. But also, you know, the NBA wants to keep expanding internationally, and there's a lot of talk about will they just put a team overseas somewhere, whether it's in North America or maybe they'll do something with with Europe, sort of creating a league over there that's connected to the NBA in some way. The NBA was one that was basically, you know, the first big pro league to really go international. They pushed and they have tons of international fans, and then you know they're they're seeing right on the wall that they need to do more of this to really keep growing the fan base. They can't just rely on North America anymore.
Speaker 4: So, you know, I find it very I mean, I have to say, Matt, you know, Wick Grosspick, the principal owner of the Celtics is a friend of the show. You know, he was just on a few weeks of back and you know, I know the guys that move Battala and I'm just surprised he didn't, you know, break that to us, Scarlett. I'm a little bit disappointed with him for that. And you know, look, I mean I know what Scarlett really wants to know. She wants to know up the Nixer for salth. So talk to me about what is going on with James Dolan, his relationships with the Middle East. You know that Sphere Entertainment's got, you know, you know, I think they're building one in Amudabi now another sphere, and you know, talk to us a little bit about you know, what Middle Eastern money means to the New York Knickerbockers.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, I mean, you know, for those of us who followed James Dolan's career, it doesn't seem feasible that he's going to want to sell a controlling stake in the next to someone else. But look that they're looking for more money to do, you know, more things with the franchise. And you know, Dolan's a smart business business person, so he's he's already has connections to the Middle East, so it makes sense that you know, they're kicking the tires on bringing in uh, you know, some milliaster investors. But I don't. I don't think Knicks fans, whether you like James Doan or not, should expect any sort of change in control with the mix. For sure, they're looking just to raise some more money and have some more cash in their pocket to do certain things.
Speaker 5: So the other story that we're looking at that Randal put out this week was about Oklahoma City and Russell Westbrook, you know, investing into their downtown, but it also has you.
Speaker 7: Know, potential.
Speaker 5: They're building a new stadium, but it's for the Oklahoma City Energy FC, which is a second tier you know men's soccer team. Talk to us about that, and you know what it really says about, I guess investing in more so of the entertainment sphere, right because it seems like it the soccer play isn't what's going to make the most money here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's you're right, there's this movement, this trend where you know, especially city centers or downtowns are looking at their development, you know, whether they have stadiums or arenas and basically, you know, figuring out ways to get more tax dollars coming from those areas. So they're trying to build sort of entertainment destinations. And we've seen these in other markets where it's not just a stadium in a parking lot anymore. It's a stadium with you know, tons of restaurants and bars and other little venues maybe where you can have concerts and sort of you know, just make it more of a year round destination. And that's what's happened here in Oklahoma City. There's this open land near the Convention Center, near the NBA Arena and Wes Russell Welsbrook and this investment from our partnering with with the city to build this soccer stadium which would be multi use and have you know, it could be a concert venue as well or other events, and then build restaurants and retail and some community spaces around it to make it more of a destination year round, like I was saying. So that's it's kind of in line with the trend we're seeing across sports where they want more than just to stay in a parking lot. That's kind of the old way of thinking about how you develop the area around a stadium on arena.
Speaker 1: All right, Matt Townsend, thank you so much for joining us. Matt Townsend is Bloomberg's Global business editor for sports.
Speaker 4: Coming up on the show, we're going to pivot to soccer and talk with US Soccer President Cidy Parlow Cone.
Speaker 3: But before we get there.
Speaker 4: Vanessa, you have been following all the NWILL action this year. Tell us about Kansas City, tell us about the growth of women's soft and tell us about your weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I was in Kansas City last week for the championship game between the Orlando Pride and the Washington Spirit, and you know, the Pride ended up taking it won nothing. It was quite an exciting game, even though it doesn't sound like it, you know, it just is. You know, when you're there in the stadium, the vibe was really high, even though you know, surprisingly it wasn't a full stadium.
Speaker 7: I guess you can.
Speaker 5: Say surprisingly or not surprisingly it was technically sold out.
Speaker 3: But Damian, here's the thing.
Speaker 5: The nws CEL hosts their championship games at neutral sites. So the problem is Orlando Pride in Washington Spirit. They advanced in the semi finals one week before the Championship, so fans really only had one week to get there in Kansas City, not the biggest airport in the world.
Speaker 7: You know, not the easiest place to get to.
Speaker 5: So there was a decent turnout, but not as many fans as I'm sure they would like. And the Kansas City fans who bought tickets, you know, thinking their team would be in the final because they made it to the semifinals and they had an incredible year. They didn't end up a lot of them didn't end up going, but a lot of them still went because, you know, they said, when I talked to some fans in the stadium, they said, listen, it's been a great year.
Speaker 7: It's still going to be a good game. I wish we would have made it, but you know, we bought tickets, so here we are.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: One of the reasons it was held in Kansas City this year was because CPKC Stadium is the first ever stadium built for a women's soccer team in the world, so it was really historic having the game there.
Speaker 4: Vanessa Predomo Bloomberg Originals correspondent on all things women's soccer related, and we've got more soccer up next with US Soccer President Cindy Parlow Cohne stick around were my colleagues Scarlett fu and the Desa Predomo. I'm Damian sas Hour and you're listening to the Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio. Around the world, you're.
Speaker 2: Listening to Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 4: This is the Bloomberg Business of Sports where we explore the big money issues in the world of sports. I'm Damian Sasawer along with my colleagues Vanessa Perdomo and joining us now Bloomberg Originals Chief correspondent Chas and Kelly. Soccer is on the rise in the US with a North American World Cup right around the corner, and the US Soccer Federation knows it's at a major moment of opportunity. Here to talk with us about the rise of soccer in the States is US Soccer Federation President Cindy Parlow Cone. Cindy, Welcome to the Bloomberg Business of Sports.
Speaker 3: Thanks, thanks guys for having me.
Speaker 4: All Right, so we have a new men's head coach. We've got a lot happening in the world of women's soccer. Tell us a little bit about what you're focused on here in the early going.
Speaker 3: You know, what we're focused on is winning so her games, getting more kids playing soccer, right, improving the access to soccer. And then obviously le announced Michelle Kang's generous donation of thirty million dollars to US Soccer. So that will heavily impact over one hundred thousand girls and women on the girls side and women's side of the game.
Speaker 5: Unbelievable. Yeah, generous is to say the least, for sure. You know, Sindy, She's been doing so much in the space. Michelle Kang's been doing so much in this space. She owns three women's soccer teams, won the Washington Spear who are in the NWSL Championship, and from what you've seen from everything she's done, can you tell us about how this deal came together. Was it you seeing what she was doing and you being like, hey, over here, you know, you know, we can use some of that too, or was it a collaborative effort.
Speaker 7: Did she come to you? How did it all come together?
Speaker 3: It was a very collaborative effort. You know, Michelle is continuously breaking down barriers and setting new expectations, and I think her gift does exactly this. You know, my ninety nine World Cup teammates and I we all thought the ninety nine World Cup happened and then it was going to be this massive explosion, but it ended up being a moment, right. I think Michelle and what she has done is she started a movement, right and it has been sustained. You know, her donation to us is going to be so impactful. So she's contributing to three main areas. One is enabling us to increase our number of youth national team camps, so we have eight youth national teams, so we'll have more camps with us and more opportunities for young girls and women. She's also putting money into expanding improving our talent identification, so regardless of where you live and play, you will have the opportunity to be seen by our scouts. And then third, and I think this is really important, is she's putting money towards fueling the professional development of the coaches, the referees and executives.
Speaker 7: We all know, to.
Speaker 3: Develop the best players in the world, you have to develop everyone around them too. For instance, right now, we're looking with this donation to double the number of female coaches and referees, which would be significant.
Speaker 4: Talk to us a little bit about some of these benefactors. It's not just you know, it's not just Ken. There's so many other people out there, and certainly Ken had a pretty big role, you know, in hiring the US men team's new head coach, Mauricio Pocentino. I mean, tell us a little bit about the role he played, about the role you expect him to play for US Soccer going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he played a great role. I mean, we know, to go after the best coaches in the world, it's going to cost a lot of money, right and as an MGB, as a nonprofit, that delta between a head coach salary of a professional team and a head coach salary of an m GB nonprofit organization like US Soccer, it's hard to make up. And so when Ken stepped up and we had some other donors step up as well, it literally made us be able to dream big and be bold and be able to hire what I think is the best coach in the world in Pachettino.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know what's interesting about that is, you know, with Ken and some other benefactors, it might seem, you know, out of the ordinary for them to just want to want to help out. But with Michelle's investment specifically, and with Arthur Blank's investment and things like that, these people are very integral into professional soccer in the US. And with Michelle, you know, owning multiple teams. It's not you know, she said it this you know on CBS when she made the announcement. This may seem like an investment in a donation into a nonprofit, but US soccers are the one who is developing the talent, you know, for these professional leg So can you talk to you a little about that, how this is going to then feed into professionalism in the US, how it's going to make our teams better national teams and the end of you sell the MLS and all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, all of those professional players started somewhere and so right, So they started in their local league. And so I started playing when I was three years old. I didn't make a national team until I was fourteen, So there were many years where a young player is developing in our ecosystem. And if we want to have the best players in the world, and if we want to provide the best possible environments for players to play, whether they're going to make it onto the national team or a pro league or not. Right, we still want all kids to be engaged in the sport and to have fun with it. So in order to do that, we have to invest in the ecosystem around them, and that is exactly what Michelle is doing. Player development is very much a part of this, but also the professional development of everyone around them that is literally developing these players. And what's so great about Michelle is that she is adamant like, this is just the start, right, I want other people to jump on top of this. This thirty million is great, it's going to push us along, but she wants other people to jump in and join her in investing in the youth landscape, investing in women and girls.
Speaker 8: You know, City, you made such an interesting point a few minutes ago about the ninety nine ers, and we've spoken to Brandy Chastain and others who echo your exact sentiment that you know, ninety nine happens, you win. It's like, okay, here we go. Not only did it not happen then, but there have been several failed attempts at a US women's professional league. Does this feel different and what do you see you know, especially you know, you played in the WUSA, so you've seen this from all angles. What's different this time, especially from a business perspective, that makes you feel like this is now sustainable as a league.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we've gone about it in a smart way. I think looking back now, ninety nine was kind of this aha moment to a lot of sports fans of like, oh, women play sports and it's actually entertaining. But then the tournament ended and it kind of was like there were some increases in participation and what have you, but it and we started the pro league that only lasted three years in the WSA, Go Atlanta.
Speaker 8: B Yeah, atl represent love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But what we're seeing now are and we're seeing it in multiple women's sports. It's not just soccer, but what we're seeing specifically in soccer is investors that are committed to the game and the people right and wanting to really develop these people and surround these people with great executives around them. And so we've really and the NDBASL has done a great job of this, and then the USL has just started a Division one professional women's league as well, trying to provide more opportunities for women and girls in the sports industry, and not everyone has to play soccer right or be a great point. Yeah, this is a whole industry. This business has so many different types of jobs, so you don't have to be a technical person to be in the sports industry or the soccer industry. And so I think we've seen a shift in that in the professionalization, the true professionalization of the women's game, but we still have to take it to another level.
Speaker 4: Cydy Parlo cohone, you are the first female president of US Soccer. So I have one question for you. What is wrong with the men? I mean, seriously, what is wrong with men's soccer here in the US as a coaching Is it the lack of experience in big tournaments? I mean, is the team you know, just in experience. I mean, talk to us a little about if you had your druggers about you, what would you do to fix men's soccer here in the US.
Speaker 3: You know, I think on the men's side, we've made up to fun of progress and I think the hiring of Pachettino speaks to our ambitions and what we think our men's national team can do. And we you know, I think part of it is we need to really unite the whole youth system, the development system up into the youth academies and make them have it be more connected. We just have to continue to like we're talking about on the women's side, it's the same thing is true on the men's side. We have to improve the environments, improve everyone around those players so that it's not happenstance or just by luck that a player develops.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and how much do you think the twenty twenty six World Cup is going to feed into that system? As in, do you think we are primed right now now to develop even more until twenty twenty six or is twenty twenty six going to be the moment where soccer explodes here?
Speaker 3: Well, I think World Cup twenty six will help, like kind of put a shot in the arm. It will change the trajectory of soccer in our country on the men's side and the women's side. Look, I think MLS has done a tremendous job, as has the NWSL and the USL, so our professional leagues are thriving. Where we need to do a better job is the development of the players, coaches, referee professionals, the executives, in and around the game so we can continue to develop better and better players. One thing that I'm super excited about that I'm very engaged on is we're under construction right now with the Arthur M. Blank US Soccer National Training Center in Atlanta. So I think that's going to be very transformative for our country. It'll push our national teams to new heights, allowing us to really build that culture, cultivate winning teams through player development, and so many other things. Every time I think of something that we're doing at US Soccer, I think about how the National Training Center is just going to have such a positive impact on everything we're trying to do.
Speaker 5: You know, we have this amazing World Cup coming up in twenty twenty six, and then LA twenty twenty eight. Feels like there was an opportunity for us to host the twenty twenty seven World Cup. Do you think the world would have just been sick of us? Or was that maybe something a little bit of a missed opportunity there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we decided to shift our focus from twenty seven to thirty one because we wanted the same focus on the Women's World Cup and thirty one as was given to the twenty six. This given to the six Men's World Cup, and we had real concerns that if we were twenty six then twenty seven, that twenty seven wouldn't be a focus until twenty six was done, and that is not the right thing to do, and so so we decided strategically this shift to thirty one. So now we have this long build up like we've had for the Men's World Cup, and so we can prepare, the host cities can prepare, FIFA can prepare as well as Conky Calf and really make the Women's World Cup as great as it can be, and the players can have equal experiences to the players of the Men's World Cup. The fans have similar experiences as well.
Speaker 4: Cindy Parlo Cone, President United States Soccer Federation, thank you so much for joining us here today on the Bloomberg Business of Sports.
Speaker 9: We really do.
Speaker 3: Appreciate Thank you, guys, appreciate you having me up.
Speaker 4: Next, we welcome bet MGM CEO, Adam Green Black for my colleague Scarlett Food, Jason Kelly, and Vanessa Prudomo. I'm Damian Sasaur. You're listening to the Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio. Around the world.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 4: Thank you for joining us on the Bloomberg Business of Sports, where we explore the big money issues in the world of sports. I'm Damian sas Hour along with my colleague scarlettfu and guest host Vanessa Perdomo. Michael barr is off this week. The sports betting landscape continues to grow and bet MGM finds itself at the forefront. Here now to talk to us about the sports gambling landscape here in the US, we have bet MGM CEO Friend of the show, Adam green Blatt. Adam, welcome back to the Bloomberg Business of Sports. Adam, welcome to the Bloomberg Business of Sports.
Speaker 9: Well, thank you for having me. I'm really pleased to be here.
Speaker 4: So Adam talked to us a little bit about the state of sports gambling here in the US. You know, has it been growing, what states are coming online? What comes next?
Speaker 6: Yes, it's been a tale of growth over the last four or five years. Bet MGM is now in twenty nine different states, serving over fifty percent of the US population with some kind of sports offering. Sports betting offering. So it really has been something to behold And as we look to the twelve months ahead, we've got two new states or two new jurisdictions coming. Missouri just past enabling legislation a few weeks ago, so we're we're looking forward to the launch of that online sports betting in that state. And also north of the border, we have our second province in Canada with Alberta bringing to its players online sports betting and I gaming probably in the.
Speaker 9: Middle of the twenty five.
Speaker 1: So, Adam, I'm curious what you're seeing in different sports, you know, especially the kind of volume and the interest from betters. Why don't we start with the NBA. You know, we're the heart of the season right now. What does the interest look like for daily games versus high profile games?
Speaker 6: Absolutely well, we've seen just more generally, we've seen a significant increase in handle euron your for both pregame and live so while the game is on betting in each of those during the start of this season, just to give put a number on that, we've seen a seventy seven zero percent increase in total NBA bets EU on Your And what's also interesting this year is that there is extra interest in the NBA Cup games, so we see a spike in activity on Tuesdays and Thursdays so far, and of course b The other interesting trend I think is the continued growth and popularity.
Speaker 9: Of player props.
Speaker 6: You know, the NBA does a great job in marketing their players, which drives a decent percentage of interest and betting action, and so we're seeing a lot of bets. For example, player prop bets on Jason Tatum quollowed by Donovan Mitchell.
Speaker 5: Adam, you know, when you were talking, I was hoping that you were going to say, you know, we're seeing a lot of growth, and the biggest one is in women in sports.
Speaker 7: You know, so I love that, but so I am curious.
Speaker 5: You know what you've seen this year with the uptick in popularity of women's sports, particularly in women's basketball. Would you say it's one of the you know, the biggest growth areas for the sports betting market.
Speaker 9: It's it certainly is.
Speaker 6: But last year we're coming off the back of a season where we saw the unprecedented Caitlin Clark effect, and so NCAA women's basketball has just been exploded and we're seeing two factors.
Speaker 9: Actually, we're seeing.
Speaker 6: More men following women's games and betting on women's games.
Speaker 9: So there's more male interest in women's sports. But on top of that, and this.
Speaker 6: Is the also exciting part, we are seeing more women participation in sports betting following women's games.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: The success this year of Paige because Yukon Huskies is.
Speaker 9: A is another draw cross sports.
Speaker 6: However, the Taylor Swift effect is also gathering more women into interest in live sports, and that that cuts across both obviously NFL and the NBA and the college game.
Speaker 9: So we're seeing, just to put.
Speaker 6: A number on this, one hundred and thirteen percent increase in betting euro over here in the WNBA.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Wow, Adam, Well, look you're you're you're you're free from South Africa, so I can speak to you, you know, very openly here Alberta, Canada. I mean, come on, how many people are going to be gambling on the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames. I mean, I understand the Saint Louis Blues and Cardinals, I get it. I understand Missouri coming online, but like Canada, I mean, come on, talk to us a little bit about how Canadians gamble on sports.
Speaker 6: Well, well, Berenham Gym is particularly well situated. You know, we've long been supportive of the all time greats in the world of hockey of Wayne Gretzky, who is.
Speaker 9: More more popular than Coca Cola, and of course Conen McDavid is also a partner, so.
Speaker 6: You know, we've been particularly we've penetrated the Canadian market particularly well. We think in aggregate we bet and GYM are the market leaders across ie gaming and sports.
Speaker 9: And what's also been.
Speaker 6: Very impactful on the sports business is the ability to cross sell from gaming.
Speaker 9: We've been betm gem is.
Speaker 6: The biggest ie gaming brand and we see a very healthy level of cross sell between sports and gaming in both directions. Actually, so the two do support each other and we see really good betting interests.
Speaker 9: Obviously the sports.
Speaker 6: Bias north of the border is different, but we do see very strong interest in both sports and I gain.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's going to be interest in betting on sports whether you're in Canada, South Africa or the US. The thing is there's so many different ways to do it right. You don't have to do that MGM. You could do DraftKings, you could do a fan duel.
Speaker 4: I mean, talk to us a little bit about that. I mean, like, you know, where is the growth in sports gambling. I mean, has it really kind of come over that hurdle? Has it been exhausted?
Speaker 9: The industry is growing up.
Speaker 6: We're seeing an expansion of bet types and sports betting really has gone beyond the traditional Vegas six pack of money line spreads and totals.
Speaker 9: You know, what we're seeing now is.
Speaker 6: That immense growth, really exciting growth of the world of parlays, the growth of player crops, crops. Generally, live betting is on the up in all of our major sports, and frankly, US sports lend themselves to live betting more than most given the stop start nature of the sports themselves. The other one of the other trends that we've talked about the growth of in interest in women's sports, but the growth of the first markets like first touchdown, first drive props. We are seeing well over one hundred percent growth of take up of those kinds of bets.
Speaker 9: You're on you And the last thing I would point out is is this.
Speaker 6: The synthesis the integration of the world of sports betting and the world of social conversation and the narrative around sports. You may be aware that BETNGM was the first of its kind to form a partnership which with one of the big social media companies.
Speaker 9: We are partners with X and X has just.
Speaker 6: Frankly launched its NFL portal and we are the exclusive odds provider of that portal. So if you're in if you're in a state where sports betting is allowed, you get onto X's NFL portal and there's a live link to to bed and gin and our six peck odds on display. So the integration of the world of social and the world of sports bedding, the world of media and sports bedding is really coming to life in.
Speaker 9: A real way.
Speaker 5: We're seeing, you know, the Black Friday games that they were on Amazon and when you see those things like on streaming platforms, does that differ for you at all?
Speaker 7: And when they're on streaming platforms and when they're on.
Speaker 5: You know, regular you know networks, is that different for you guys at all.
Speaker 6: Well, we've seen the most relevant recent use cases the Thursday Night game in the NFL, and what we're seeing is viewership is down on you from broadcast to streaming.
Speaker 9: But on the streaming service, we're also seeing viewership grow from its current base. So I think this was the.
Speaker 6: Question, of course for all of us, is well, what we understand that there's been a step back as the shift from from cable to the cutting the cord process continues. The question is at what point does when's the tipping point and where is the tipping point? We haven't seen that yet, but based on the projections of current growth in viewership fandom, we think the move to streaming will ultimately maybe one year, two years be better, certainly for our business and for viewership more generally.
Speaker 5: We've talked a lot about growth here and i'd love to see, you know, hear your take on Obviously, now it's about five six years into sports betting being legal in the US, and it's so it's not really new anymore. So how do you get new subscribers, new people to engage with the platform now that it's kind of been out there, you'd think everyone who is interested would be on you know that MGM already.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 6: It has been around for a little while, for more than a little while now, So I agree with the premise that you know, those keen beings who have spontaneous interest are participating. I see that as wave one Wave two, and that there are two big populations which exist today that represent further growth, further deepening of potential penetration of the industry and for bet MGM as part of that. The first is those that participate in the illegal market. There's still a big offshore market, which frankly is just a continuation.
Speaker 9: And of what came before regulated and regulated sports betting.
Speaker 6: You know, those that had their person that they you know, that call up ahead of the weekend and get a line and have a bet.
Speaker 9: That still goes on, and it goes on, we understand at scale.
Speaker 6: The other thing to which sign posts this point that I'm making is the search interest in illegal operators ahead of ten pole events. So you get up to the if you track Google searchers and I won't name the names Google searchers for those unregulated operators, that they are still search at scale.
Speaker 9: Search volume.
Speaker 6: So really for all of us, one of the challenges and opportunities is bringing that offshore business on shore, which protects consumers, which raise US tax revenue. It's just an all around good thing. So that's the one population.
Speaker 9: The other population is everybody else, and I know that's a ridiculous thing to say.
Speaker 10: But what we saw in if you look at other international markets that are significantly more mature than the US is what we see is for many, many years.
Speaker 6: After the regulation of the market of the ability to participate, we see double digit growth here on you for many.
Speaker 9: Ten years plus.
Speaker 6: And the one of the drivers for that is more participation of those who enjoy it. And the other driver is the answer to your question now, the other driver is it becomes really just part of the leisure basket for a broader population.
Speaker 1: All right, Adam, really appreciate your joining us today. Adam Greenblatt is CEO of bet MGM.
Speaker 4: And that does it for this edition of the Bloomberg Business of Sports. If you missed any of our conversations, please listen on demand now with the Bloomberg Business of Sports podcast. Find that on Apple, Spotify and all your favorite podcast platforms. For Scarlett fu and Vanessa Perdomo, I am Damien sas Hour. Thank you for joining us. Tune in again next week for the latest on the stories moving big money in the world of sports. You're listening to Bloomberg Business of Sports from Bloomberg Radio around the world.