Speaker 1: I am all in again. Oh let's you.
Speaker 2: Luke's Diner with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey Everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all in Podcast one eleven productions. iHeartRadio Media. iHeart Podcast. Luke's Diner. We Are with the one and Only Judy Gold. She's an Emmy winning comedian, author, and actor known for a stand up special. She's appeared in Netflix Standout, Hulu's Hysterical, and shows like Chopped, All Stars and Somebody Feed Phil And Yes, she absolutely loves to cook. What should go to comfort food to prepare well?
Speaker 3: Scott, all I think about is food. And so I just want you to know the signature on my email. You know how people are like while I'm so mine has been for years sent while thinking about my next meal. So I love to cook, and so I started getting into cooking, you know, after the kids were like like the doorbell would ring, the buzzer in my apartment would ring, and it might be someone visiting me, but they would be like, foods here, no matter what happened, because I would order in all the time. And so I'm like, I have to cook. And you know, my mother cooked my father and cooked my grandmother cooked, so I, you know, I really and I started taking cooking classes. And then I was on chopped, and I really started taking cooking classes, and so I go Eastern European for a lot of stuff like my my comfort food, a roasted chicken, a nice Shabbat dinner. I love making red cabbage with balsamic braised red cabbage. And now I've expanded. I have a walk and I love making stir fry, and I love making pasta, and I love making salmon. And I mean, I have a huge amount of recipes and I try a lot of stuff out and everyone gets mad at me because I'm such a slob in the kitchen, But I don't know, I just enjoy it so much, enjoyed that process of I'm gonna go shopping and I'm gonna make this stuff, and I get a reward at the end, you know, and it's me eating, but it's also watching everyone else enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Right, even though I don't let them in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: They all hate meson, I don't let them in either. When I'm cooking. I'm like, you're out, don't come in here, don't even mess with me. I got a million things going on here. I'm timing everything. It's all different. It's so do you understand the calculus of what's going on. I'm complicated.
Speaker 2: It's unbelieva. It's like, get out of my face.
Speaker 3: Like I have friends who I invite over for dinner and they walk in like trepidaciously.
Speaker 2: Liked my load to walk over. I'm like, no, you're done. Can I help? That's the worst when they're like can I help? No, No, you can't help. Get them go away for me, go in the living.
Speaker 1: Room because work exactly, leave exactly, Like one distraction could cost me, Like the rice is going to get overcut right.
Speaker 3: And it's like, but wait, so all, I have two questions for you then, Scott one, are you from Philly?
Speaker 1: I was born there, raised in South Jersey?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, ax I heard the accent. Number one and number two. Do you have a d h D?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I think I probably have some type of it, So I have.
Speaker 3: I was diagnosed as an adult and I have ADHD. And that whole idea of I'm focusing right now and if you say a fucking thing to me, it's gonna it's like a train going through my brain. And then I'm gonna forget where I am. So don't you know that's a symptom of a d AHD. But I think a lot of chefs have ADHD because it's so about multitasking and ADHD people love to multitask. And that's what I love about it. It's like there and there, and you're timing it and you're like.
Speaker 2: Okay, bit bell goes off. It's just it's like orchestral in as.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes I do. I feel like a conductor of an Orea. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: I love seeing all the burners filled and going, oh my god, and I'm going to control this.
Speaker 2: Wait.
Speaker 3: Here's another thing. When people walk in and they're like, oh, that looks and it's like.
Speaker 2: Shut the uh oh that looks. So are you going to be adding a lot? Now you're not. You're going home, You're not eating.
Speaker 1: That's so good. That's exactly how I know.
Speaker 2: It's like, let me create here.
Speaker 1: Oh god, oh my god. Now now listen, when I have people over, I have to sort of like power it down a little bit. I got to tone it down a little I can't, you know. But when I mean, my wife and my son know this right now, I'll have him back there and I will teach him things and I'll have him doing certain things. But I know my wife is coming back there to maybe nibble or grab something right, comment right, right exactly, and I'm like, or to second guess me in some way. Then, yeah, it's a flame too high when you think, and I'm like, I'm like, no, you're your band, you can't.
Speaker 2: Get yes, you're out. I am so like that.
Speaker 3: And then my kids are like, Okay, I'll be like, I'm going to make Jenner for everyone, and they're like, Mommy, are you going to be like in a mood?
Speaker 2: Well, and I'm like, yes, i am.
Speaker 3: I am going to be the same miserable person I am every time I make a meal, and I don't want you in here. Yeah, it's it's I love that you agree with me, because Elisa, my partner, is always like, oh so did you put and get them?
Speaker 2: You don't even know how to cook?
Speaker 1: Get out? Oh uh tell me about cooking under pressure?
Speaker 2: Oh god, while the cameras are rolling, Okay.
Speaker 1: What's that like? Because I did that once. I went to the Food Network recently in the park because I was there and I did a segment with Amanda Dean, who's fantastic. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And we did pan. We did a simple pay thing, and that's kind of it was kind of stressful.
Speaker 3: It was like, you know, first of all, Scott, let me tell you something. I have PTCD, which is post traumatic chopped disorder because I was on Chopped All Stars. First of all, I get there. It's me Joey Fatone, who owns a restaurant in Florida, or yeah, Johnny Weir who's never cooked in his entire life, and Layla Ali. And if you think there's an Ali that's not going to win a competition, you're wrong. And she brought her own knives. I brought my own knives too, but I really didn't care. I just did it to you know, psych people out, but it did. She had her own and you know.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 3: You know, I had prepared. I had a friend of mine who's a chef, come in and we did. We just cooked for five days. She taught me everything. I took a knives skills class, I did everything, and you know, I was you know, I'm competitive. I'm a comedian anyway. So the so we open the the first basket, it's the appetizer, right, and in the basket is chicken breast guji chang, you know that Korean like paste. It's like a tomato paste but Korean hot saucepit or whatever. An avocado where I had just had surgery on my hand because I stabbed myself getting a pit out of an avocado while I was cooking. And then uh, a vanilla cupcake with vanilla icing. So that's the thing. And I'm like, I know exactly what I'm doing, gonna grill the chicken. I seasoned it, I grilled it. It came out great. Then I made guacamole with the avocado and the gujiang, and then.
Speaker 2: I was like, what do I do with this cupcake?
Speaker 3: So I just crumpled it up and made a breading for it was so bad, the breading for the for the chicken anyway, So and I put it on my plate. And I'm a mom of two like tween teen boys, so my presentation was like it is at home. Johnny Weird doesn't even season his chicken. He's but his plate has like flowers on it and little and it was like a work of art, you know. He got all these little things to make it look pretty. Layla Layla did her chicken. I thought it was a little burned, but whatever, and Joey did his. And then the worst part, okay, is the standing there because if you while they're deciding and asking, you know, you stand there and they go through each each person, but you're all standing there. The amount if you watch the amount of camera angles, it's like expression from each chef, expression from each judge, the food itself.
Speaker 2: Like there's eight hundred and we're standing there for like two hours.
Speaker 3: It's like yeah, and so till I am like, just fucking pick.
Speaker 2: And so they.
Speaker 3: They did mine, and they were like, you know, the guacamole is delicious, the chicken is it?
Speaker 1: Does they do it on like a TV set too?
Speaker 2: Yeah? This is the TV set?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, It's like that's how they do it. It's like taked forever.
Speaker 3: Right, And so he said your chicken is cooked perfectly, that the guacamole is delicious. I mean, I don't know about this breading, but it's fine. He didn't really incorporate. I was like, oh, shut the p one up anyway, but the food tasted great. He's like, and the presentation, and I was like, look, I can't do everything you know, I didn't say that, but I was, you know, so anyway, Johnny Weir's not tasty at all, but look like anyway. So of course I get chopped after the appetizer, and I knew they thought I was going to go further because in the next the entree basket, one of the ingredients was motza and none of them knew what the hell matsa was or what to do with it. And I would have made like a delicious matza brie and gone into the finals, I'm telling you. But yeah, but I got chopped, and I still it was devastating. But I've done a whole bunch of Food Network competitions. I was on Rachel Versus Guy. I mean, I've done a whole bunch of them, and I love them. I love food and I love you know, I'm like Rosenthal, like, I love that it brings people together.
Speaker 1: Right, right, right, So let's shift years a little bit. You've been doing stand up for.
Speaker 2: Decades forty three years.
Speaker 1: Wow, how is your approach and your material evolved, especially in today's culture?
Speaker 3: Oh god, we this could be the entire podcast, But you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's interesting.
Speaker 3: You know, I started in the eighties and each decade has been another issue.
Speaker 2: You know, you think back about what we could say.
Speaker 3: I wrote a book about it called about Free Speech, called Yes, I can say that when they come for the comedians, we're all in trouble.
Speaker 1: And they did come for the comedians.
Speaker 2: And they're coming now.
Speaker 3: And and the point was that, you know, we're in this situation right now where you know, I come from the eighties, you could say whatever.
Speaker 2: The hell you wanted. There were no phones.
Speaker 3: No one was posting bits of people's acts without context or nuance or intent or anything.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Uh, No one could write I was at a comedy show and she said this, and it offended me. And this, you know, so with the advent, the invention of social media, we now have everyone you know, is you could close a restaurant down because the you know, the hostess, her host didn't looked at you cross eyed, and you fucking ate them, so you're gonna write like a bad review whatever. Right, So we have that element, But then we also have this wokeness, this idea that you know, I don't hear the whole joke. Like we're at this point right now where people don't listen to the entire idea to hear a word and they're like, that's it done, I'm over, you know. And what's happening is, you know, you can say whatever you want.
Speaker 2: You can. But and and the darker.
Speaker 3: The topic, the more subversive the topic, the funnier and more and the more well crafted the joke has to be.
Speaker 2: You have to.
Speaker 3: If you're going to talk about something that is so controversial, you better write a damn.
Speaker 2: Good joke in today's environment. In today's environment, So let.
Speaker 1: Me ask you this. If sticking with comedy, pick three comedians you'd have over for dinner.
Speaker 2: Oh God, who would you cook for?
Speaker 1: Joan Joan Rivers, Joan Rivers.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, that didn't sound like a good reaction, Scott. You mean comedians right now.
Speaker 2: That are alive?
Speaker 1: Anybody, anybody your top three? And you know so many great ones have passed, so I can't. Oh, I don't want to limit it. I think I would love because my first one would be Carlin.
Speaker 3: Yeah I knew Carlin and I interviewed him. I mean, I'm cooking dinner. I want like people who love to eat. I would have Tony Fields over, Okay. I think I would love to have Moms Mayby over too, mom's mom's maybly.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I eat with these comedians that are alive all the time. So I don't you know, did you know Richard Lewis?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, yes, the best, the nicest, the warmest, the funniest.
Speaker 2: That what a mention.
Speaker 3: And his heart was so big and what a loss, you know, terrible. But I'm not cooking for him right now, all right, So.
Speaker 1: Let's get into Gilmore girls a little bit and talk about my diner, Luke's Diner. Yeah, you know, at my diner, pancakes and French toasts are not a want, it's they are a need. Okay, So you add any secret ingredients to your batter to make them fluffy or crispy around the edges, you know, in that way? Do you have a special pan cake recipe?
Speaker 3: My, I make more French toasts than I do pancakes. I am a French toast snob extraordinaire. But I do think the key ingredients, okay, that I add two sweet breakfast foods, heavy cream, m and sugar. I think, you know, especially with the French toast, I use halla French toast and I make thekala often. You're not impressed by that Scott, Did I make my own Kala's.
Speaker 1: I'm stunned, silent, shut up.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think the key is heavy cream.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, Okay, what about butter?
Speaker 3: Oh, butter, Yes, but butter, butter, butter, butter, butter and good butter, decent butter and a little vanilla.
Speaker 2: You have to put vanilla and everything.
Speaker 1: I've always found that butter. It just improves the flavor of everything.
Speaker 2: Oh everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm done. And you know, look, I grew up Kosher and we didn't put butter on anything, but we had margarine a lot. But you know, we ate our baked potatoes like dry. You know, really if it was with me or we'd put margarine on it. I mean it was just so I had like an awakening experience when I started cooking and wasn't just kosher cooking. So butter to me is the cake. And I spend money on good butter. I buy Kate's butter or that. What's that Irish?
Speaker 1: I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: It's like yeah, yeah, yea yea yes, that that that's great. Isn't that such good butter?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're absolutely right about the butter. But adding some heavy cream always does a little nice.
Speaker 1: What about coffee? What's your what's.
Speaker 2: Your what's your go to? Scott? Let me tell you something.
Speaker 1: And have you tried my coffee because I have a coffee company.
Speaker 2: You do not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do, And I got the I got the good stuff, specially coffee grade one the best.
Speaker 3: If you don't send me some coffee. I am a coffee addict, really addict. Ask my son, he's here addict.
Speaker 2: Everywhere I go. I go on the road all the time.
Speaker 3: Time I buy a bag of their local if they have a local brewer, uh.
Speaker 2: Crew, I buy it.
Speaker 3: I just was in Mansfield, Ohio, and I have Yeah, I have a bag of theirs.
Speaker 1: Right. And you like to you like the you like the whole bean. You like to buy the whole bean grindy, I like.
Speaker 2: I do both.
Speaker 3: I have a chemex and I use I do a poor over a lot of time. And then I also have a grind and brew, and I really think pour over. There's really no comparison to any other. I'd love a poor over, I just so. But I have this grind and brew where when I'm making a huge pot, I you know, it grinds the beans and makes the coffee. It's a queens and aren't and they don't make it anymore. And mine's on the outs, and I don't know what. I really don't know what to get, I, you know, because I like to make a full pot and I don't want to make.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't want to be standing there pouring over water at.
Speaker 1: The What do you want? I'll send you some beans. What do you want?
Speaker 3: I like a nice dark roast, okay, I like rich, Oh my god, got so excited. I do a lot of French, Italian Sumatra. I like, you know, Arabian, I Ethiopian's good.
Speaker 2: But I am very much.
Speaker 3: Into a dark roast, full body. Okay, nutty chocolatey, not overly chocolate, but you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I know exactly what. All right, I'll send you some beans. God get your the girls that get your information, and okay, I'll send you and we're going to come to Luke's Diner. Now, what would you order if you came to Luke's Diner? Which you will? You will come to luke Diner one day? And what would you order? And where would you sit?
Speaker 2: Okay? Are there booths at Luke's Diner?
Speaker 1: There are no booths.
Speaker 2: I want a corner table by the window.
Speaker 1: You don't want to sit at the counter.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I love sitting at the counter, but I am so tall and I'm long legs. It is so uncomfortable for me.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, and.
Speaker 2: So I really do.
Speaker 3: I often want to sit at the counter, but only if you can move your chair back and forth.
Speaker 2: And it's not one of those things.
Speaker 1: We do have a very nice table by the window overlooking the park.
Speaker 2: That's what I want.
Speaker 1: That's that's the perfect table. All right. What are you going to order?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm getting coffee immediately, black, nothing in it, gotcha.
Speaker 2: I want to see a menu.
Speaker 1: Diner. We have diner food. I know Burger's eyes, I know the basics. Patty melt, tuna.
Speaker 3: Melt, I would prom I mean my go to club sandwich is the Turkey Club okay, on toasted whole.
Speaker 1: Weight, nice.
Speaker 2: Mayo on the side, well done fries.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the way I like him too.
Speaker 2: What's the soup situation?
Speaker 1: Anything you need? Minnestrone, chicken noodle? We've got a beef barley.
Speaker 2: I would do. My other go to would be the chicken noodle with.
Speaker 3: Tuna on toasted rye let us tomato and onion.
Speaker 1: Well done, fries, beautiful, you got it all right, I'm gonna write that down. Yeah all right, I'm gonna get you the beans. Judy Gold, thank you. I love you too. You're You're amazing? Are you? Are you out on the road? Are you?
Speaker 2: Oh? I'm out on the road baby?
Speaker 1: Where can we see Where can we see you? Next?
Speaker 3: I go to Provincetown for the summer where I work at the post office cabaret. I do three shows a week and I work on all my I have a residency there and it's great.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. What a what a beautiful part of the country. Then, yeah, gosh. I did a motorcycle ride out there with a bunch of people for charity and we ended up in Provincetown. We stayed.
Speaker 3: Isn't it the best? It's just and the food, Scott, I'm telling you. That's where Anthony Bourdane started. Oh really yeah, he was a dishwasher there. That's where he started.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god. Yeah, beautiful beautiful country out there. Anyway, all the best.
Speaker 2: Please come back anytime.
Speaker 1: Let's carve out more time for you, yes, because I want to get into more stuff. We barely touched on on what I wanted to get into. But anyway, thank you for your time, Judy Gold, everybody, thank you and remember keep those cards in letter coming. We are so grateful for you all. Thanks for downloads and the loyalty over the years, and remember where you lead, we will follow. Stay safe, everyone, do hey, everybody talk forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.