Speaker 1: Hey guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of this show.
Speaker 1: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 1: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 2: Good morning, everybody, Welcome to Breaking Points.
Speaker 3: Emily, great to see you, my friend.
Speaker 4: It's great to be here.
Speaker 5: I was really focused on my Twitter feed when we started, so that's why I was hunched.
Speaker 2: Over focus getting the latest that we can bring you all of the breaking news updates. Sager is actually recording with Andrew Schultz for The Flagrant podcast, so that's why he is out today. Bunch of announcements to get to Okay, tomorrow, we are not having our normal show. Instead, we are doing a live stream for the State of the Union. In which I cannot believe is actually tomorrow.
Speaker 4: It's not technically the State of the.
Speaker 2: Way, it's the Joint Address to Congress whatever, but it's the State of the Union. And I yeah, I've been kind of denial about it, like it just really there's been so much going on, a snuck up on me.
Speaker 4: It's crazy. But we'll all be here, gang, will all be.
Speaker 2: Here, That is right, we will all be here eight pm Eastern. We'll start the live stream. I think the President is supposed to speak around nine, so we'll talk about whatever's going on beforehand, preview the speech, listen to the speech, react on the other end as we normally do.
Speaker 3: In addition, another big personal announcement.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday to my baby girl, Ella, who is seventeen.
Speaker 4: Amazing.
Speaker 2: I am in total, complete denial about this as well.
Speaker 5: That you have a seventeen year old and look those amazing stop Chris stops.
Speaker 4: Trust me.
Speaker 2: I feel every day and then some of my age, but I am. Yeah, she's beautiful, amazing, so proud of her, and yeah, it's an incredible thing. And one last thing before we jump into the news, Congratulations to the the filmmakers behind No Other Land who won the Oscar for Best Documentary last night. Documentary by a Israeli and a Palestinian about life in the occupied West Bank. Incredible speech that they gave, talking about, you know, the need for peace and to co exist and calling for effectively a one state solution with no supremacy to crying ethnic cleansing. You know, huge applause that the oscars over this, and the crazy thing about it is okay. This is now an Oscar Award winning documentary. Could not find a US distributor because this was too controversial.
Speaker 4: Quote unlook, I wonder what will happen now?
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, you think they'll get picked up.
Speaker 4: It's possible. I mean it's kind of late, but it's possible.
Speaker 5: I mean, people sends, there's money to be made if anyone's curious about the film where.
Speaker 2: People are maybe capitalism will prevail here, that's right, and interested the greater, But all of your hopes in capital I don't know what else we have to put our hopes in at this point.
Speaker 3: All right, lots of news to get to.
Speaker 2: Latest falling from Ukraine, protests all over about various things, including against JD Vans on his ski trip. Elon is attacking social securities a Ponzi scheme. On the Joe Rogan podcast, Trump is announcing a digital asset reserve that is just a way to funnel taxpayer dollars to crypto billionaires. One of the most disgusting things I've truly ever seen. Dums have a brilliant new plan to fight back, which entails going even harder in the direction of big donors and sidelining grassroots donors. Altogether unbelievable that this is what's being proposed. Bill Burr is fighting with Benjapiro. That's an interesting one over his comments regarding a Luigi Mangioni and Israel is quitting the ceasefire deal and announcing a new blockade and siege of Gaza, obvious collective punishment and war crime with the full backing of the United States government.
Speaker 3: Jeremy Scahill is going to join us to break all of that down.
Speaker 4: Ye're excited to have Jeremy here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, he's incredible and drop site.
Speaker 2: I said this last week, it is incredible how quickly.
Speaker 3: They became essential.
Speaker 2: Seriously, you know, I really rely on them for their FORID affairs reporting, in particular specific with regard to Israel and Gaza. But they have done such an incredible job standing that on what up.
Speaker 5: And of course nonither of us are surprised because I know Ryan, Yes, they're so talented.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, all right, So let's get into the latest with regard to Ukraine. I'm sure you guys have all seen at this point the dust up in the Oval Office between JD. Vans and Trump attacking Vladimir Zelenski, of course.
Speaker 3: The president of Ukraine. Let's go ahead and take a listen to.
Speaker 2: We had a bunch of politicians on the Sunday Show, from Marco Rubio to Senator Chris Murphy, who were reacting to.
Speaker 3: This chain of events. Let's go ahead and listen to.
Speaker 4: That, sir. From President Zelenski.
Speaker 2: He said he does not think that he owes President Trump an apology for what happened inside the Oval Office today.
Speaker 4: Do you feel otherwise? I do.
Speaker 6: I do, because you guys don't see. You guys only saw the end. You saw what happened today. You don't see all the things that led up to this. So let me explain. The President's been very clear, he campaigned on this. He thinks this war should have never started. He believes and I agreed that had he been president, and never would have happened. Now here we are, he's trying to bring an end of this conflict. We've explained very clearly what our plan is here, which is we want to get the Russians to a negotiating table. We want to explore whether peace is possible.
Speaker 4: They understand this.
Speaker 6: They also understand that this agreement that was supposed to be signed today was supposed to be an agreement that binds America economically to Ukraine, which to me, as I've explained, and I think the President alluded to today, is a security guarantee in its own way. Because we're involved, it's now us, it's our interests. That was all explained, that was all understood, and nonetheless, for the last ten days and every engagement we've had with the Ukrainians, there's been complications in getting that point across, including the public statements that President Zelensky has made. But they insisted on coming to d C. This agreement could have been signed five days ago, but they insisted on coming to Washington, and there was a very and should have been a very clear understanding, don't come here and create a such scenario where you're going to start lecturing us about how diplomacy isn't going to work as President Zelensky took it in that direction, and it ended in a predictable outcome as a result. It's unfortunate that wasn't supposed to be this way, but that's the path he chose, and I think frankly sends his country backwards in regards to achieving peace, which is what President Trump wants.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day, is for this war to end.
Speaker 7: The person who walked away from the table yesterday was President Zelensky. I mean, look, I've been involved in a lot of bilateral meetings like this with heads of state in dignitaries. There's a certain protocol to these events. But for him to act as he did was rather shocking to everyone. I mean, President Zelensky, instead of showing gratitude, he interrupted and berated his hosts at a very perilous time for his country. He should have been anxious, I think to enter into this agreement. Think of it, the mental rights agreement would be a win win for both countries. It would give us an economic interest there, and everyone around the world knows that America will always defend our interest in our people.
Speaker 8: The challenge is now we're at a stalemate. This is a World War one like trench warfare, and it is best to be able to get to at least a pause. And what I hear President Trump saying over and over again is we need to get to a stop and fighting, find some resolution. I understand Zelensky is rightfully concerned that Putin has violated every single agreement he's ever signed and that he can't be trusted. He's looking for some kind of security guarantees, which the French in the UK are saying they want to put troops in. But we need to get these two folks at the table, get to some kind of resolution to something it may look like North and South Korea for a long time, and have a line where people are looking at each other, but not an active war.
Speaker 9: Now, the White House has become an arm of the Kremlin. Every single day you hear from the National Security Advisor, from the President of United States, from his entire national security team, Kremlin talking points. The last week, the White House has been pretending as if Ukraine started this war. That's essentially saying that Poland invaded Germany at the beginning of World War two, There are still facts in this world, and the fact is this Vladimir Putin is a brutal dictator. Russia started this war, and the entire pretext for that meeting yesterday was an attempt to rewrite history in order to sign a deal with Putin that hands putin Ukraine. That is disastrous for US national security. That means that China will be on the march, Putin may not stop, America may be at war with a nuclear power.
Speaker 2: So there you go a little sampling of the political reaction. You know, obviously I have a lot of thoughts on this, which I'll go ahead and offer a few of them, since we haven't had a chance to react yet. I mean, it won't surprise you that none of the Democrat or Republican views there really represent my view. You know, I do actually think that this was a sort of a planned ambush of Zelenski, because I think it's preposterous to imagine that Jade Vance would be out there freelancing on his own, like I don't think he does anything without Donald Trump giving him the nudge in the go ahead. But whether or not you think this was like a planned ambush, it was definitely a show in that it is not reflective of the reality, which is that Ukraine and US in this war have basically been the same entity. Right, the US has pushed Ukraine to continue this war. We have used Ukraine prior to this war as our own geopolitical plaything. So that's why when Vance and Trump are insists, oh, you have to thank us, and you need to apologize, like thank us for what for continuing to drag you through years of this war at massive cost of lives and death and destruction in the country of Ukraine. And this is not to let Zelenski off the hook, who no one should be, you know, hero worshiping this guy like Actually, the things that JD. Van said about the conscription and pulling guys off like that is true. But we're the superpower in this situation. We wanted to use Ukraine to push back against Russia, and we failed, and now we are left trying to figure out what to do next and trying to pick up the pieces. What the Trump administration wants to do is based economic colonization. They want this extractive mineral rights deal, which by the way, doesn't mean that you are going to benefit from whatever.
Speaker 3: Extraction is occurring here.
Speaker 2: It's Trump's billionaire buddies who would get these deals, who would profit from exploiting this vassal state and effective colony of the United States of America. But it would be US lives that would be on the line to defend those economic interests. That's the deal that they're trying to put in place. And by the way, Emily, it wouldn't surprise me like this was you know, this was a big blow up, And I don't want to say that like it's not going to have an impact. It might, but it's also very possible it doesn't at all that they continue to go forward with this economic colonization deal for Trump and his buddies to cash in.
Speaker 3: Because, as we're going to talk to.
Speaker 2: About the like Crypto reserve bullshit, the core ideological project of the Trump administration at this point just seems to be theft elon, stealing contracts and just like plundering the government at will, going around the world saying we want Greenland's minerals, we want the Panama Canal back, we want Canada, we want Gaza, we want the Ukrainian minerals deal. The crypto I mean, that thing is just insane, just like funneling taxpayer dollars in so that a bunch of crypto billionaires can sell their bag and dump this trash like worthless thing on the American public. That is the core ethos of the Trump administration. And so it would not surprise me at all if they continue.
Speaker 3: Forward with this. It's not even just rare earth minerals.
Speaker 2: It's like fifty percent of the entire country that we're pushing, you know, this deal for. So that's kind of my overall reaction here to what happened. But it does drive me sort of insane this and sists, oh, the Ukrainians need to apologize, and Selensky was out of line, et cetera, et cetera, like we are so much of the uh, we are so much to blame for the way this is all unfolded, and not just the Biden administration, by the way, where they do have a lot of blame on their shoulders, in particular for blocking that those original negotiations that had a shot at securing some sort of a piece here early on. But Trump, in this dialogue he brags about how he was shipping the javelins to Ukraine. He was part of this belligerent posture that precipitates this war, and Russia is responsible for their own actions. They should not have invaded. It was an illegal invasion. They have their own imperial project that they are engaged in. But let's not ignore the role that the US has played in meddling in Ukrainian politics with a coupdeta, with expansion of NATO, with continuing this belligerent posture that helps to create the conditions that precipitate this war, and to just erase all of that and pretend like none of that happened. And Trump himself has is not to blame, and it's all Zelenski's fault, and he's the real aggressor here, and he needs to think US. I think is so disgusting and utterly preposterous.
Speaker 5: So Zelensky wants everything that you just outlined, which is like the point you made about how American boots would essentially have to be on the ground security guarantee with the quote economic colonization. Zelensky wants that that's the entire dust up over this deal.
Speaker 4: We played Chris Murphy just there.
Speaker 5: Chris Murphy before Zolensky went into that meeting, was bragging about how Democratic senators had just met with him and encouraged him not to sign what he's like a false security deal of something that Chris Murphy tweeted, because they Zolensky doesn't believe that the quote economic colonization is enough. He thinks that the United States needs to have like an actual security guarantee otherwise Putin will continue to what's the word that often gets used, steamroll will keep like creeping further and further into Ukraine. So the option then for US is either to have like actual boots on the ground security guarantee or some half measure or totally.
Speaker 4: Given to Putin.
Speaker 5: And the options are insane, Like it's just a complete mess. And it's a mess because of the tact that Zelenski and his supporters had wanted David from. For example, these types of guys have wanted over and over and over again for years. So, I mean, I think the Zolensk he must apologize stuff is a little precious from like a moral standpoint, But from a pragmatic standpoint, what he just did was prolonged likely. I mean, I think the deal probably will still go through, but he just prolonged the suffering and the war.
Speaker 4: It's pretty time. This is Zelenski. This is a two.
Speaker 5: This is him responding. He went on Brett Bear's show right after. I mean, this is a couple hours after he canceled the planned speech. I think it was at the Hudson Institute, and then went straight to the Fox News studio, went through with the Bear interview. And this is a clip of Zelenski from that.
Speaker 4: So I'm not hearing from you, mister president.
Speaker 10: Thought that you owe the president and apology.
Speaker 11: Now I respect President and I respect to American people, and.
Speaker 4: If I don't know if.
Speaker 11: I think that we have to be very open and very honest, and I'm not sure that we did something bet. I think maybe sometimes some things we have to discuss out of out of media, with all respect to democracy and to a free media, but there are things that where we have to understand the position of Ukraine and Ukrainians, and I think that is the most important thing.
Speaker 5: So one hundred billion dollars into the war, I just don't think that lands especially well with the American people. And I'm not saying Crystal that he needs to get on his knees and apologize, though I think pragmatically, if he wanted that deal to go through, he probably would. That's like, you know, one hundred billion dollars to the American people. It's like multiple times the annual NASA budget. You know, it's multiple times. It's at this point, it's over the annual budget of the State of Virginia.
Speaker 4: Like, well, it's a lot of money.
Speaker 5: It's I get that it's a small percentage of everything that we spend in a given year. But in order to create a political incentive structure, permission structure for politicians to continue going along with it, And I guess I see what people are saying about the apology, but it doesn't I don't think we need to be precious about it morally from a pragmatic standpoint.
Speaker 4: He immediately started tweeting, We're.
Speaker 5: So thankful for America, We're so thankful for the cooperation of the United States, et ceterat.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, again, I do think this was a setup because if you watch the video, like the thing he said was not everyone's oh he was braiding them and lecturing. He just said, listen, guys, like Putin is not really a person that like, if you look at the historical track record, This isn't someone you can just take their word for true, absolutely true.
Speaker 3: And then JD.
Speaker 2: Vance jumps in, you have never said thank you, and you take people on.
Speaker 3: Propaganda tours, et cetera, et cetera. I think it was a show.
Speaker 2: I think it was a show for domestic consumption because they know the bass has been trained to like.
Speaker 3: Have this conflict completely.
Speaker 2: Sort of reversed in their head where Ukraine are the great evil and the great bad guys, and so he knew it would play well with his bass and that he would look like a tough guy. And then that gives Trump room to sort of do whatever it is that he ultimately wants to do and strike whatever deal that he wants to and not face blowback from his base. That's what I really think was going on there. So this insistence, oh he needs to apologize, Oh he needs to thank us, I also just have to say on like really zooming out of what you think about this conflict and these players and how this should all go down and what the geopolitics are, etc. I think there was a really visceral human reaction of disgust to the way that these two very powerful individuals were badgering and bullying someone who's there who speaks English as a second language, who you know, is totally unable to sort of be able to compete in this debate because of the way that that is stacked against the cards are stacked against him.
Speaker 3: In that situation where we have.
Speaker 2: Two people very powerful brating someone who is, you know, just trying to keep up with the language issue, I think there was like a visceral I mean, it's been interesting to see how vocipherus the response has been online, and I think there was just like a visceral factor to the way all of that went down. The other piece of this that could be consequential is how the Europeans react. Here you had Keir Starmer, who seems to be trying to take the lead to say, all right, well, clearly we cannot rely on the US for anything, which I think actually that part is good that they're realizing Listen, these people are really not our allies at this point. We can't count on them whatsoever for a single thing. So he's trying to take the lead. He was on the BBC talking about how he's now talking to France and some others to try to work on some sort of a peace plan that they could present.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen to how that went.
Speaker 12: We had quite a long time with Presidence Lenski, then Macrole and President Trump on the phone. We've now agreed that the United Kingdom, along with France and possibly one or two others, will work with Ukraine on a plan to stop the fighting, and then we'll discuss that plan with the United States in those caols on Friday night, through the meeting yesterday, into the Caols again last night. I think we've got a step in the right direction because, as I said, nobody wants to see what happened on Friday, but it's really important that we keep past central focus, which is lasting piece in Ukraine. Nobody wants any more bloodshed.
Speaker 2: So we'll see what comes of that. There were all kinds of European leaders that were tweeting out their support of Zelenski in the wake of all of these events, and put the next piece up on the screen. You know, I really sort of think that the tension here within the Trump administration comes down to whether they want to just go pure like you know, naked exploitation, as they have in so many other arenas. As I was pointing out before with the mineral steel or whether they want to align with the you know, right wing authoritarian regime of Russia which has been is the other like ideological project of the Trump administration is to align the country more with those regimes that are closer to their own ideological valance. And you know, this is interesting to me, sort of point in the direction of they're going to probably continue in the direction of the minerals deal.
Speaker 3: But we'll see, because you never know what.
Speaker 2: Trump he's quoting someone else who said, now, Zelenski will have no choice but to back down and accept Trump's terms.
Speaker 3: But here's the genius part.
Speaker 2: Trump is actually protecting Ukraine without dragging the US into war by negotiating a mineral deal. Trump ensores Americans will be involved in Ukraine's mining industry. That prevents Russia from launching invasion because attacking Ukraine would mean endangering American lives, something that would force the US to respond. Then goes on, Trump played both sides like a master chess player. In the end, Zelensky will have no choice but to concede.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: But you know, to me, the fact that Trump took the time to put this out on truth Social indicating that Okay, you know, the idea here is to go forward with this rare earth mineral deal, which by the way, includes many things other than that, and then that's going to serve as its own sort of security guarantee, so that the billionaires will get their bag out of Ukraine by exploiting that country. And then you know, will that security guarantee will make sure that Russia doesn't further invade the country. You know, that to me was an indication perhaps that's still the direction that he's moving in.
Speaker 5: Well, here's what's interesting, and here's why I kind of disagreed that this was an ambush. Zelensky comes in and says at the beginning of the meeting, because I went back and know the transcript, that he's hopeful about this deal, that this deal is the first step in.
Speaker 4: The right direction.
Speaker 5: And then what we find out is he actually believes that not have that the deal in and of itself is not a good enough security guarantee for the people of Ukraine and for Zelensky. By the way, I mean as someone who was like horrified by Zelensky's conduct, and that mean I shouldn't say horrified. That overstates it because it wasn't surprising, but was like disgusted Westolenski's conduct in that meeting. I also don't blame him because he has his own interests. He's watched so many of his own people die, he has watched his cities being destroyed. Despite the fact that he corrected Trump and said that was Russian propaganda to say that Ukrainian cities had been destroyed. Not all of them have. Some of them are like flattened, and that's what Trump was talking about.
Speaker 4: So I get that.
Speaker 5: I think from Zelenski's perspective, this is he does have his own interests. He has his own people to worry about. He is, you know, he is the representative of his own people. At the same time, the question then becomes, what was he sitting there saying that this deal is great and then always intending to not end up signing it. They could have signed it in Ki, if they could have signed it in all other places. He flies here, was he not going to sign this if he didn't get something else out of Trump?
Speaker 4: Advance? And when Vance?
Speaker 5: When when Zelenski turned to Vance, it felt like Zelensky had this like a very organic and natural tension. Again from his point of view as somebody who lives in Ukraine, who's overseeing this war and seeing the suffering of the Ukrainian people, he says Putin has steamrolled. He's me all of these agreements, you can't do diplomacy with. Putin turns the question to JD. Vance that to me, if I were Jdvans, I would have exploded to being challenged in front of the American media by the President, I would have lost my mind. Not saying it was helpful, but it would have I would have lost my mind if I were him, because it's like, actually the only option at this point, and by Zelensky's own admission, he was saying the deal with good what thirty minutes before when the press conference started, I had I had where my reaction was closer to Sagers because I was traveling and I saw the clips first, and when I saw the last ten minutes, I was like, Oh my gosh, what just happened? And then I went back and watched it from the beginning. I was like, Zolensky keeps throwing jabs at Trump, and it's like, again, I get why he would because he doesn't think this is enough, and he's seen examples before why it's not enough. But his solution is more like Clinton Bush style American imperialism. And it's just like Trump is caught in the middle of that. And it doesn't mean that Trump's genius. I'm not a big fan of the economic colonization mineral deal. But Zelenski did not do himself any favors, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: I just did not see it that way at all.
Speaker 4: It's interesting because like it's been sort of a roor Sash test.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean and again, like I'm not a Zelensky stand right, he does have his own interest and it is like, like I said, the things jd Vance said about, you know, people being pulled off this, like we've covered that on this show.
Speaker 3: And at this point, you know, at the.
Speaker 2: Beginning of the war, including when we were pushing them in to you know, walk away from the negotiations which he was participating in. I mean, this is what drives me crazy, is like the complete attempt to rewrite history and absolve ourselves of our role in this, absolved Trump of his role in helping to bring about this horrific war and this horrific situation where you're right, there are no good options at this point. Truly, there are no good options at this point. But you know, the tenttrarywrite history is crazy making to me. But in addition, you know, I mean to point out, like, hey, you know, this guy's not the most stressworthy actor. I don't see why that makes you explode. What would make me explode is the insanity of pretending like we had nothing to do with this situation and now you're going to have to just take it, and you owe us a thank you, a thank you for what we owe you, an apology for what we have done to this country and the way we have used it as a plaything. And again, but Lensky wants that's that's the difference.
Speaker 4: I would apologize the average Ukrainian and that to Lensky.
Speaker 2: That's what I was going to say about Zelensky is you know, at the beginning, when we were pushing let's not have these negotiations, actually the Ukrainian people were very much as much as we can tell from the polling et cetera, and from the I think this is maybe the most telling sign the number of military sign ups there were and recruits at that point where people were volunteering, like, yes, I want to be part of this war. The Ukrainian people were behind we want to fight and and you know, the US is we're all in with you, and we're going to be there, you know, standing with you and giving you everything you need, et cetera. That sentiment has very much changed, which is why you know, Zelenski's approval has fallen. Now I think his approval we don't really know, but his approval rating appears to be higher than Trump's is in our own country. So it's not like he has no support, but certainly his approval rating has fallen. There is a massive fatigue among the population. That's why they had to lower the conscription age. I mean didn't have to, but decided to lower the conscription age. That's why they've been you know, aggressively basically like kidnapping men off the streets, banning men from leaving the country, et cetera. So you know, the public sentiment within Ukraine is now diverging somewhat from Zelenski and where he wants things to be.
Speaker 3: That being said, except.
Speaker 4: For maybe since Friday when the country's like.
Speaker 3: That's what I was going to say.
Speaker 2: That being said, you know, since this dust up occurred, I do think it has probably strengthened his domestic political position because even the opposition has come out in support of him and in opposition to the way that this was handled by Trump and Vans, et cetera. So you know, again my bottom line here is whether you think it was an ambush or not.
Speaker 3: I genuinely do.
Speaker 2: But you know, I think reasonable people could disagree there, as Emily and Zader certainly disagree with me on that. The part of it that drives me crazy is just the fakery of ignoring how and why we got here, of pretending we played no role, and pretending also like we're oppositional to so let's get like we are on the same team.
Speaker 3: This is like Mississippi having.
Speaker 2: It, you know, international affairs disagreement with the federal government. And that's what I mean when I say this is a show, because it is not reflective of the actual reality of the conditions that led to this war, of the conditions that led us to exactly this point. And so you know, we'll see what the fallout is and if it changes any of the dynam but you know, as of now, I think probably Trump is probably still pushing in the direction of this minerals deal because it's very consistent with the rest of his foreign policy that he's pursuing around the world, which is just you know, it's maach and grab, like I want the again. I think it's really important for people to understand these this exploitation of Ukraine or conquest of Greenland or Panama Canal or can or whatever like, these deals are not to benefit you. There's a reason why the Ai Gaza Video has like a.
Speaker 3: Trump hotel there.
Speaker 2: This is to benefit billionaires, the Trump family themselves, their buddies around the world, and to secure those economic interests for themselves, using the US taxpayer and the US soldier to protect those economic interests. And it's not like that's a new dynamic, right. I'm not Pollyanna here, I'm not naive, not saying that this is our first trip to the you know, economic colonization rodeo.
Speaker 4: But that's a hell of a rodeos.
Speaker 3: It's been a hell of a ride. Let me tell you.
Speaker 4: He has more nakedly transact is.
Speaker 3: More nakedly transactional about it.
Speaker 2: There is not even a valance of this is about democracy, this is about human rights, This is about standing up for ourselves. This is about protecting territorial integrity. It's just about we're going to get what we can get out of it. And again not us, him and his buddies and the other billionaires that he's close to.
Speaker 3: And it was billionaires that originally.
Speaker 2: Proposed this who had direct interest in you know, exploitation in Ukraine who proposed this deal. So you know, I think there's a lot of incentive still pushing in that direction.
Speaker 3: But like I said that the.
Speaker 2: Oppositional force is wanting to align more closely with their ideological brethren in Russia. So we'll see how this all goes down. The last piece of fall in here put a five up on the screen. So this is kind of interesting. Just in terms of the global pushback, there was a Norwegian fuel supplier that refused to refuel US warships over this dust up in the White House.
Speaker 3: You know, this is a.
Speaker 2: Norwegian fuel company, halt Bach Bunkers, announced it will see supplying fuel to the US military forces in Norway and American ships docking in Norwegian ports, siding dissatisfaction with recent US policy towards Ukraine. In a strongly word a statement, company criticized televised event involving US President Trump and JD. Van's referring to it as quote the biggest shit show ever presented on live TV. They praised Zelenski for his restraint, accused the US of putting on a backstabbing TV show, and declaring that the spectacle made us six, so kind of an interesting economic retaliation.
Speaker 4: There at least we put on great TV shows.
Speaker 5: That's takeaway one thing you can't take away from Donald Trump celebrity Apprentice.
Speaker 3: I was not a watcher, but I believe you. I believe it was good.
Speaker 4: It was good.
Speaker 3: I mean, listen to the man is freaking.
Speaker 2: He's funny like he's funny, he's charismatic, he's a cat like that is that is the area where.
Speaker 3: He is an apt salute genius and you can't take that away.
Speaker 4: Cannot take that away from him. So we're in agreement on that.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'll close with that agreement. So relevant to the discussion. We were just having lots of protests breaking out over various reasons and issues across the country, but in particular, JD. Vance, after the whole dust up with Zelenski in the Oval office, took his family on a ski vacation in Vermont, and the protesters certainly showed up there. Let's take a look. We can put some of these images up on the screen. So people were lining the roadways here with signs, most of them like pro Ukraine signs. We can see all the like Ukraine flags, lots of anti Russia and Jade Vance's Putin's puppet and that sort of sentiment going on here in Vermont. You can see these signs to stand with Ukraine, Trump serves Putin. Jd Vance is a trader go Ski in Russia. I was kind of surprised that they were able to spin up this protest this quick. Yeah, a lot of it just happened, and I mean it does go to what I do. Feel like this kind of really touched a nerve for a lot of people who were you know, because it's easy like on this show, we've had tried to have a nuanced view of this conflict and have been pushing for an end to the war since the war really began.
Speaker 3: But if you look at.
Speaker 2: The pulling people are over like, it's not like people love Vladimir Putin, they hate Putin. Zolensky has a higher favorability rating than JD. Vance or Donald Trump in our country. And so I do think it's easy to get in a bubble where you feel like because online there's all this like anti Zelensky sentiment and you know, interest in being more aligned with Russia, which, like I think if we had had better relations with all the nations of the world, that would be.
Speaker 3: A good thing. But that is not really reflective of where public sentiment has been on this conflict.
Speaker 5: I mean, the protest to me looked like a bunch of sort of and I say this lovingly, like crunchy boomer Vermont hippies, which is interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, guess is that lovingly.
Speaker 5: But what's interesting is the energy where you're able to like mobilize a bunch of people to get I mean, if if you're listening to this you missed on those videos, if you hadn't seen them, is there actually are a.
Speaker 4: Lot of people lining the road?
Speaker 5: And to Crystal's point, this is within like twenty four hours of all of that going down.
Speaker 4: So I think it does speak to it.
Speaker 5: We're going to talk about democrats later in the show, but I think it does legitimately speak to the energy that does exist on the left, even though some people aren't, like it's obviously not twenty seventeen right now, there's not a Women's March happening, but there's still significant, significant hostility to Trump to the point where it can rally people. And the Russia exists, it looms large in the Boomer imagination, so there's an emotional trigger I think anytime it looks like the United States is aligning, or you can make the argument that the United States is a ligning with Russia, which I don't agree with in this case, but that just gets people out into the streets. Yeah, so's there's something there.
Speaker 2: There's a spark well, and I think you're right that it is part and parcel of a larger just like anti Trump, anti Lane resistance that has truly fomented and really without much leadership from the Democratic elites. You have some of these groups like Invisible and move On that have really taken the lead. You've got a few members, I mean Bernie being the primary example, who have sort of led the charge, but a lot of this is very Grossroos organizing. Meanwhile, you know, the Democratic leadership is meeting and being like, let's make ourselves more friendly to billionaires, etc. Like Emily said, We'll get to that in a minute. But in addition to those protests, there were someone some videos of datavans like on the ski slopes getting yelled at and stuff.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I enjoyed, But would you.
Speaker 4: Do it if you were there, would you yell at them?
Speaker 3: Probably?
Speaker 2: Not, just because I'm like, you know, a public person crystals viral.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't want to like put myself in the center. But you know, do I support prominent, powerful people getting yelled at when they're in public places?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: I do, Yes, I do, and not just on the Republican side across the board yell at your especially because they won't even like, you know, these senators and congress people like they're back out of their town halls. They're so terrified that someone's going to like be into them or ask them a.
Speaker 3: Hostile question or whatever.
Speaker 2: So what other chance do you have to get to express your views than when they decide to go on their ski vacation.
Speaker 5: You really ran on the wrong side of the two parties. Take it, Crystal.
Speaker 4: Remember this is the exact argument the right.
Speaker 5: The right was like, yeah, let them hear it, like just shout them, you know, which I agree with obviously.
Speaker 2: I think they should be required to submit themselves to debates town halls, like you cannot hide from the public if you're supposed to be a public official. But let's put this next piece up on the screen. There was a local ski reporter this is kind of funny, who writes like the snow report locally, who used her platform to express her views against this was less to do with Celenski and war to do with climate and with the attacks on the National Weather Service in particular.
Speaker 3: So she wrote a long, a long.
Speaker 2: Piece there that also included the news about the snow but she, you know, was upset about the Noah cuts. She was also upset about the the attacks on, like, you know, some of the things that were being done to mitigate climate change. So that was interesting as well. And then a few members, Republican members did decide to go forward with their town halls. When we show you a mashup of this, this is one representive Diana Harsberger from Tennessee, Keith self from Texas, and then probably the most interesting one, Senator Roger Marshall from Kansas, who is confronted. You'll see in the video by someone who's concerned about veterans being fired, and he just basically decides to rage quit his own town hall. At this point, people are yelling him like, you haven't even been here an now or.
Speaker 3: Et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So let's take a look at the temperature at these various town halls.
Speaker 13: There's been a mandate to the president from the American people and not correct, No, there's not a mandate by the American people.
Speaker 3: Who's thirty percent.
Speaker 13: Congressional Budget Office. You know what it's going to be about twenty thirty five. It's going to be fifty nine trillion. Did I tell you the one.
Speaker 14: Is in those programs?
Speaker 4: Listen, this is.
Speaker 7: Very tousy again.
Speaker 3: Coming now as far as cutting out those jobs, a huge percentage of those people. And I even know what you care about the vetterance.
Speaker 7: Yes, and that is.
Speaker 13: A damn shame.
Speaker 12: Yes, yeah, that is a shame.
Speaker 13: I'm not a Democrat, but I'm worried about the veterans.
Speaker 4: You Tucker, when to stand up.
Speaker 14: I do got two more commitments today.
Speaker 6: Appreciate everybody making them drive out and.
Speaker 2: God listener, so you can see people very much not happy. And that last piece was a Senator, Roger Marshall, who's saying, like, you know how I've got these other commitments got to.
Speaker 3: Go, and people are not happy about it.
Speaker 2: And it was interesting because that guy stood up and he's like, I'm not a Democrat, but I am concerned about the veterans. So you're starting to get in a little bit of a broader swath. Of course, most of the people that are going to show up at a town hall are likely to be you know, they're likely to be partisans. They were in the Tea Party era as well. But the cope from the right that like, oh, these are just like paid activists by George Soros or whatever. You know, I heard the same thing from Democrats during the Tea Party era. But if you know anything about politics, if you've been involved, either you know, in electoral politics or as an activists, you know it is damn near impossible to get people to show up to things.
Speaker 3: And so if.
Speaker 2: People are willing to take time out of their day to go to this town hall and yell at their congression or yell at their senator, even if they are partisans, that is representative of a real energy that exists out there that is quite consequential, especially when you think in terms of things like special elections and midterm elections.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So according to Axios, about thirty percent of the federal workforces veterans, and a.
Speaker 4: Big trenk of that is disabled veterans.
Speaker 5: So this is a I mean, I think it's in comparison about five percent of the private sector workforces veterans. This is like a huge percentage of the federal workforce compared to the private workforce is veteran composed. So mass cuts are going to target veterans. Actually, Democrats have introduced a bill to reinstate veterans who are fired without cause by the Trump administration. So that's how vulnerable Republicans will be on this issue. It's we were talking earlier in this block about how you create a sort of a a trigger issue for some boomers. Well, this is a trigger issue for people who are like across the political spectrum of all demographics. As soon as veterans in their communities, there are vas that I mean a lot of cases are already people are worried or understaffed or are crumbling in every community. Yeah, and when that hits home, that reflects on doge and so to the extent that public opinion on DOGE is falling, some people may say, well, it's just the chaos babble.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of it is localized.
Speaker 5: I think the more people start seeing this in their community, the more Republicans are going to need to have answers, and these town halls are not going to cut it. I mean, from a political standpoint, it's insane that they're still doing these town halls, even though it's great to see, you know, support it. Yeah, yeah, I mean, it doesn't matter if they're Democrat or Republican. I I would support it. But from a political standpoint, it just seems to me they're not prepared to answer some of these questions because the broad project of slashing government making it quote more efficient might poll okay, but when you localize it, it's a very different matter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: And you know, I so I've mentioned before my first job out of college was working for like a federal government contractor, and my primary client was the US federal courts, and so I spent a lot of time working both at the Administraty of Office here in d C. But also one of my jobs was to travel around the country to the different court systems and help them with their software implementation blah blah blah. And it was really interesting because one of the things that I noticed is that the smaller the town, like say, you know, I traveled to Soo Fall, South Dakota. It's a relatively small city, the more sort of like impressive the people working there were. And this is not to slam federal government employees in large cities or whatever, but because the salaries were comparatively high for that area, you really would attract like the cream of the crop in terms of you know, that local community, and those tend to be people who are really like pillars of the community. And so it's almost like the smaller the area that you go to, the more consequential whatever the federal government jobs are going to be to that community. It's sort of the same thing with public schools. You know, public schools really important teachers and administrators really the sort of like lynchpin in the community the smaller the town that you go in, which is why during the teacher strikewave you had this huge backlash in red rural states because of exactly that dynamic and how sort of like significant those institutions were as centers of community and how significant those individuals were to that community, and we can put the put B five up on the screen. This is about the national parks. This is another piece that I think really hits home for people. In addition to obviously no one wants to see like disabled veterans getting laid off. No one wants to see military spouses getting laid off, which is another significant component because they're disproportionately on that probationary period because they're not going to move around the country. No one wants to see these national parks that we really you know, we really take pride and really enjoy being destroyed and being so understaff that they can't handle the crowds that are coming in that you can't even some of them have had to shut down, even making reservations for the future. Lots of families plan their summers and their vacations around being able to go to these national parks. And so I think that's another like very tangible thing to people where it contributes to this sense of your cutting into things that we actually care about, like the things about the federal government that we actually appreciate, that we actually enjoy and that you know, genuinely do contribute to the public goods. So this was again an impressive effort. You had thousands of people at national parks all across the country from California to Maine. There's a group called Resistance Rangers, consisting of about seven hundred off duty rangers that have been helping to organize these protests.
Speaker 3: They were able Their goal was.
Speaker 2: To get prote at all of the country's four hundred and thirty three National park sites. I think they were able to pull off protests at at least one hundred and forty five sites, So pretty impressive there, and I do think that that has been another locus of public upset and pushback. The other thing is, let's put before up on the screen. The uh you know, Tesla has become the one of the most visible symbols of Elon Musk, who you know, people myself included, very unhappy about the way he is just sort of like claimed control of the federal government for himself. So there was a large protest in I believe this was in Tucson outside of a Tesla dealership and you can see here up on the screen. You know, this is at a lot of people, yeah, that are gathered there on the side of the road to protest Elon and Doge and the cuts that are being made. I have anecdotally been seeing around town. I don't know if you've seen any of the Tesla's that's to have the bumper sticker that say, like, I bought it before I knew Elon was insane. Tesla as a company we covered this last week, is not doing well. Sales have fallen almost fifty percent in Europe, They're down significantly in California. Part of that is certainly because of Elon being so closely associated with the brand. In fact, the company, you know, every company is obligated to put out in their disclosures what are the risks to the company, and they have long said that one of the risks is Elon being so closely associated with it and if opinion changes of him, that could have a really negative impact. So we are seeing that that bear out and reality in the stock price suffer as a result.
Speaker 5: It's funny because you can also make the argument that there's been a benefit, obviously not overall, but that there's been a boost now that Elon Musk has become this weird cultural litmus test, and that I know a bunch of people on the right who are now into tesla and it's hilarious because it used.
Speaker 4: To be the other way around.
Speaker 5: It used to be like the people who now have those stickers on the back of their cars were like environmentally friendly and this was sort of a badge of a virtue to drive a Tesla. And I saw a woman yesterday shouting at a random I was going out to get a coffee, just a Tesla at a four way intersection and this woman just comes around like, af tesla, I don't support effing elo really, yeah, just laying into.
Speaker 3: This Tesla driver faster girl. Yeah, I gotta record that for it was.
Speaker 5: It was really wild, but on the point about firing and then reinstating people. So that has happened at the VA and National Parks because we were just talking about both of them. Democrats estimate like six thousand veterans have been laid off so far, and the National Parks also restored some of the jobs that were eliminated. And it's one of those things where Elon Musk's and the oval Or he was at the cabinet meeting last week saying we're going to make mistakes. We accidentally canceled a Bola protection remember when he said that last week, And it's just they don't have that. They're just relying on this overall project. And of course both things can be true, that like national parks can be great, we can love our veterans, and the VA can have all kinds of problems with everyone agrees with across the political spectrum that the VA has tons of problems and probably does need to be streamlined and more efficient.
Speaker 4: But if you're going to make that argument, you need to be.
Speaker 5: Prepared for what it means when people are veterans who serve the country are losing their jobs and Elon is out with a chainsaw at seapack. And that is what Republicans, despite having all this time to prepare for what Doge would do, have not been prepared to deal with.
Speaker 2: I think Sager made a good point about Elon too, that the more that he the less he comes off as like, oh, the brilliant, visionary, genius businessman, and the more he comes off as like your asshole boss. Yeah, the worst that's going to be politically for Elon. And you can already start to see the way that this is also weighing down Trump and then you know, you add to that the Republican budget proposal, which includes slashing Medicaid and massive tax cuts to the rich, and you can really very clearly paint the picture of oh, this administration they're just for They're for Blan and their rich buddies. I mean the crypto thing obviously goes hand in glove with that as well, Like this is just a pro oligarch agenda, and these cuts really have nothing to do with making the government so efficient. That's what I've heard from kind of like normy moderates who have voted for Republicans in the past or whatever. It's like, you know, I'm all about more government efficiency, and I do think the government should be smaller, but you have to be smart about how you do it. You can't just come in with a patch it and cut, like, you know, people important for air traffic control as another example. Here, As these protests emily spring up across the country, Bill Maher has some ideas about how the Democrats and how this resistance is ultimately playing out. He gathered his panel of Fared Zakaria and Rum Emmanuel to weigh in on some very cherry picked, selective protest demonstrations. Let's take a list to how that went.
Speaker 14: This is something called the People's Union USA, and they have something called Today. I've got emails about this from people no spend Day and it's against the malign influence of billionaires, big corporations and both major political parties and the lives of working Americans. And what it is is you refrained from making any purchases either in stores or online, to shun fast food, getting gas for a full day. I know that look on your face says it all. You're right, it's so fucking stupid.
Speaker 15: The idea is right.
Speaker 4: You never wrote that has let too much time on their hand.
Speaker 14: Now this is the thing that's going on today.
Speaker 10: And it just mistakes. This is why I was saying that there really is a movement of people doing interpretive dances to protest the Trump administrations cuts of USA idea. I mean, like people are starving.
Speaker 4: You know. The thing about not winning.
Speaker 10: As you said, is you're left with these kind of absurdities. The answer is figure out how to win elections. You know that's very I mean, yes, what's the democrats? Listen to the Democrats about Bill Clinton and Barack Obama both of whom you work for.
Speaker 4: So these are the only two.
Speaker 10: Democrats since Franklin Roosevelt to on won two terms. Right, and what does the party say they did everything wrong?
Speaker 4: We've got to.
Speaker 10: Get away from sec Wait a minute, they're the ones who won the elections. Yes, bred Bernie Sanders didn't win AOC hasn't been president recently. Like you know, the the Labor Party does this with Tony Blair. They're like, Blair is horrible.
Speaker 4: He won three elections.
Speaker 15: Yeah, let me get breaking news. One hundred thousand new community police officers or defund the police? Now, which one do you think is what?
Speaker 4: It's crazy? And on this partify it's example of this.
Speaker 15: I think the party. You know, you're talking about interpretive dance and everything like that, And what's really crazy about where the party's gone it is ident it's taking an identity politics that the only way you have a moral standing is yours somehow been hurt. And that is insane. And if you want to take a moral standing of an identity politics based on where you've been hurt, then we're going to do it about the working in middle class families of this country's gotten the shaft over the last thirty years and that is where we been.
Speaker 3: Go Oh my god, that made me want to kill myself.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is the neoliberal wing of the party as representated by Hillary Clinton, who foisted identity politics honest in an attempt to block Bernie Sanders, who was actually talking about working class people and trying to deliver for them. That makes me insane. In addition, pretending like they've been following the Bernie Sanders path to victory and it just hasn't worked out is preposterous. Kamala Harris and Joe Biden did all the things you people would want them to do, and she lost.
Speaker 4: She lost.
Speaker 2: Where there's the reckoning with that? And then finally to pretend like the only thing that's happening at this point is some like cringe interpretive dance protest, which it was outside the Kennedy Center, I believe is where that happened. Like that's just dishonest, that's just dishonest. But they don't want to acknowledge that. To the point about, hey, you need to win, you need to take power. That Bernie Sanders is out doing town halls in swing districts across the country talking about oligarchy and fighting back because he wants to put pressure on the moderate supposedly, not that such a thing really exists on the Republican swing district members who Mike Johnson needs in order to vote and pass anything. So there are first of all, a few people out there who actually have a strategy, who are in leadership, but by and large, the grassroots base has been left to fend for themselves and they are out, you know, at these town halls trying to use pressure on public officials in a way that I do think could be impactful. I mean you see the way, Emily that they are very uncomfortable, these Republican representatives when they're actually confronted with these questions, and like you said, they don't have responses. Most of them are just avoiding town halls altogether. But I can tell you from being at those Tea party protests back in twenty ten, seeing people in person, in your face, with an a certain view and upset about what's going on. These are human beings that has an impact on you.
Speaker 4: Oh, I believe it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And Ram Emmanuel, by the way, worked for Barack Obama. So the line about identity politics is pretty laughable because the Obama eras when the Democratic Party, of which he was a sort of card carrying establishment elite member of he.
Speaker 2: Was an architect of the ideological direction. I mean he selected for what type of candidates, yes, would be backed by the DNC.
Speaker 4: Which went great for the DNC.
Speaker 2: And by the way, to your point about Obama, sorry to jump in, but Obama is good at getting himself elected. How did the Democratic Party do under Obama? They lost a thousand state House legislative seats across the country, They lost governor's mansion, they lost rural America.
Speaker 3: That happened under Obama.
Speaker 2: So don't tell me about how great he was for the party, because yeah, he was good at getting himself re elected. But they lost the House, they lost the Senate, they lost the state houses, they got totally destroyed and redistricting because of the Tea Party wave. And guess who gets elected after Obama? Donald Trump. And you think that you don't take any of the blame for setting up the political preconditions that lead to that, like, give me a break, give me a break.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I mean, the other thing that's funny about this now Democrats are working with a lot here, so and polling is increasingly bearing this out. So fifty four this is the new PBS poll. Fifty four percent of Independence say that the president is changing the country for the worst, that early changes have been for the worst, and that it's also a big chunk of people who say two thirds of independents say Trump is rushing to make change without considering the impact of his decisions.
Speaker 4: Fifty six percent.
Speaker 5: Of Independence in this poll view elon Musk unfavorably. So the answer to that is not mar and ram and manualism, right, Like, they're not tapping into what people are upset about at all.
Speaker 4: They're not like writing the ship. It's just this.
Speaker 5: This is a serious like dynamic in terms of and it's something Trump has benefited from forever, and it's led the Republicans to take wrong lessons from all this, and it's going to do the same for Democrats. Just because public opinion is going in one direction, it doesn't mean that it's great for Democrats. Democrats actually have to proactively come up with something better than Muskism. You can't just rely on people being unhappy with Musk because then people end up picking what they see as the lesser of two evils, and that doesn't always go in democrats favor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was that James Carvel piece in the New York Times. I think that was like, just don't do anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, definitely.
Speaker 2: You know, and we've heard this argument too before from I think Hakeem Jeffries. Oh my god, what a what a pathetic loser said something, I'll let them punch themselves down, don't swing at every pitch, et cetera, et cetera. Think of how Republicans responded to Obama. Did they say, like, I'll just let them punch themselves. We're just gonna sit back.
Speaker 4: They're just going to destroy them eggs and ham in the Senate fl.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, like, get real, you have to fight, you have to offer, and it's not enough to, you know, let them manifest the horrors of their own agenda. You have to offer an alternative vision if nothing else. Even if you think, and I think it is possible that just through the declining favorability and potential economic collapse their coording by the way of the Trump Musk administration, that Democrats could do well in the midterms. But this isn't just a like who cares what party is in control? If they're not delivering ultimately for people's lives, and so you can't lose sight of that either. You have to explain how you are going to actually deliver material and make life better for people, make country better, make the world a better place. And if you're not doing that, like why do you even exist as a political party? Like what is the point of this other than a racket for consultants and for politicians to get their attention and be able to insider trade.
Speaker 5: So it's not just going to be enough to know that you should be talking about the price of eggs as opposed to identity politics and dancing outside the Kennedy Center. You actually need to explain what Democrats are going to do to lower the price of eggs. Because one of the interesting things in the PBS pool is actually that there's a growing sense from the public. This is a quote from the article that the country is headed in the right direction. Forty five percent of Americans believe so, which was up ten points from December and now at the second highest point of the last fifteen years. It's very interesting about that is it gets to the lesser of two evils. Point is that if your answer to Trump and Musk, who are increasingly struggling with independence, is going to be like, if your answer also sucks, doesn't mean that you're going to beat Trump and get your power back.
Speaker 4: You have to have an answer that's better.
Speaker 5: Otherwise people are going to continue doing lesser two evil dynamics, which doesn't work out well for the Democrats even though they're.
Speaker 4: Like Trump and Musk are so crazy, it's going to be great for us.
Speaker 5: Well, no, it's only going to be great for you if you're better, if you have a better answer about the price of eggs, and you don't