Speaker 1: So that that Kendrick performance is pretty mid.
Speaker 2: Right, Guys, that guy stinks.
Speaker 3: I can't understand the word he says.
Speaker 4: It was pretty mid.
Speaker 2: I read like some reviews that said the audio was fucked up at the beginning, but I didn't even I didn't know that. I didn't catch that seemed fun to me throughout. He didn't give a fuck at all. No, he was not trying to like him for the uh you know, the people who aren't familiar.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 2: No, that was the thing.
Speaker 1: It's like, I don't know, Like I guess if you're not paying attention and your expectations are such that you want just that hits from his catalog, I can see how people are disappointed. But like he's this is PG Lang Kendrick, and yeah, he doesn't give.
Speaker 2: A shit at all. No, he does not know. I was at first when I like watching it as like this is a super Bowl halftime show, like I want everybody to like my guy Kendrick. I was a little bit like, ah, fuck, like I wish he had played more of the hits, But then like just encountering it as a piece of art, I was like, oh, this.
Speaker 1: With with the Sam Jackson interstitials that sort of put everything in context. It was like just the meta narrative of him being there talking about the show, about the show songs, yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: That just that.
Speaker 1: Sold it for me, where I'm like, oh, really, this guy had an idea and he fucking executes.
Speaker 3: But yeah, this was definitely the most artistic halftime show I've seen.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say it's up there with like the Gloria Stefan, Uh.
Speaker 3: Katy Perry when she came out.
Speaker 2: Katy Perry, Gloria Stefan. I do really like the Katie Perry one.
Speaker 3: You know that, it was great to me. I still I still think that's one of the top ones on the Like American maximalism. That was the most super Bowl halftime.
Speaker 2: Show knows the assignment and like just fully embraces it like a fucking a straight a student raising their hand at the front of hearing.
Speaker 1: People mentioned like yeah, just like the lack of the maximalism and like it's like, yeah, he could have did money trees and had like marching bands come out and stuff, and like that would have been cool, but.
Speaker 3: No, he like this.
Speaker 2: He should have had like people in tree costumes throwing money out, making it rain yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Oh my favorite is left swimming Pool. Oh I was, I was time show.
Speaker 2: Remember the guy floating face down in the left swimming.
Speaker 4: Pool that was the dancing bottle of alcohol.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that's I watched it with somebody who's like a like theater person, and like he was just like getting texts from his friends about like this is it should be like And it's like all these like obscure theater performances I.
Speaker 1: Don't expectations seem to really rob people of the joy of experience.
Speaker 2: It seems oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was nothing technically wrong with the performed. I get why people some people are disappointed, but it was a good performance.
Speaker 2: Is anybody saying mid, I feel like that I'm either hearing like worst super Bowl show ever or like it's fucking great.
Speaker 4: I'm saying it's either mid or it's great.
Speaker 3: I think it's a lot of New Kendrick fans that thought he was going to behead Drake in effigy or something. Yeah, like that this was going to be like the last stop of the Kick the Dead Body of Drake, for which it was.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was.
Speaker 3: Not even one of the good I know, but I'm saying but you know, but you know, motherfuckers are so literal like they wanted to see, like they want to like probably some kind of physical depiction of Drake being destroyed, some actual physit tangible red, like what's like.
Speaker 4: This exploding a giant effigy.
Speaker 3: Get in your art bag a little bit, folks.
Speaker 2: I like the people who hadn't really been following, they were just like from afar. They knew there was a story about a rap beef and they're like, I think him and Kendrick are going to make friends in the halftime show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, remember I texted you when the battle started. I was like, what if they come out with like a joint track after after their volleys and it's all just like it's like a Marvel movie.
Speaker 2: Once you accuse someone of being a pedophile, it's hard to go back. You can't really pull that one.
Speaker 4: This is before I think, this is before Euphoria came.
Speaker 2: Actually the homie, he's actually kind of the homie.
Speaker 1: This is justloy for like a joint album.
Speaker 3: Nope, best of both worlds.
Speaker 2: It was h Yeah, that was fun though just truly came with like an artistic vision in mine.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was just like, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: The second I saw the stage the up he is like, this is PlayStation roomote or squid game and the performing game ship performing in a giant X while playing Peekaboo.
Speaker 1: So because that song is rumored to be uh it has something to do with X and and Drake having something to do with his death.
Speaker 2: That's the rumor.
Speaker 4: Him doing that in the Big Cakes is kind of wild.
Speaker 2: Triple X tentassium, Yeah is Pekaboo? Like I just thought that was like a weird track that we were obsessed with. I didn't know was is that like one of the hits from the album? Like he just doesn't give a Yeah, yeah, that was my number one with a bullet. I was like, I was like joking.
Speaker 1: I was like, I hope you expecting him to play Pikabood.
Speaker 3: I went to I went to her majesty. I said, oh, he's like, guess what we're about to do. And then in this living I'm like, what they talk about they talking about? Know what they talk about? The tab Yeah? Yeah, what they talked about they talk about? Hello the Internet and.
Speaker 5: Welcome to this special week trend edition of.
Speaker 3: Dirnally zite Geististist Bite People.
Speaker 2: It's our production of by Heart Radio. This is the episode where we tell you what was trying to go over the weekend. It is the Monday after Super Bowl Sunday, super Bowl Monday, super Bowl Monday. Man, oh, this should be goddamn. Has anyone trademark that ship super Bowl Monday? Super Bowl Productive Day? Oh man, I can't believe they don't don't give us off on this day.
Speaker 3: They should? They should.
Speaker 2: I do, actually think they should. I'll talk about that.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Time more than super hot later. Okay, Spicy, how are you doing, Miles?
Speaker 1: Ummm?
Speaker 3: This is going to be my answer for the foreseeable future where I go all things considered.
Speaker 2: Atc not good, Yeah, all things considered.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Yeah, I'm doing Okay, I'm doing okay. Every day gets a little bit easier, just a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then then you see a Kylie Minogue video and you start crying. I saw this Kylie Minogue video for Can't Get You, so like the guys shot, he's in dancing, he's entering his dancing era. So I played DJ and stuff and I'm like, oh, let me see what the fuck I can get going, dude, daft punk around the world. That music video fucking melted him. He's like, oh shit, like the way he was getting yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. I was like okay, I'm like I'm locked in. I know. Then I'm like, okay, Michelle Gondry, I think we got something. Then I said the other one with Kylie Minogue, come into my world, come come come in to me. Okay. He was fucking with that one a little confused. Then I played Can't Get You out of My Head when there's just something about the like the sort of minor key tonality of Can't Get You out of even though it's like such a straightforward pop song, which is like yeah oh. I was like, oh shit, it hit my fucking spine. I had tears running down my face. It was beautiful, damn and shout out to everybody. I did post that on my Instagram stories. A few people were like you okay, yes, yes, yes, these are beautiful tears. These are beautiful tears.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, this is the episode where we get to know you a little bit better by letting you know what we think is underrated, what we think is overrated. You want to kick us off with something you think is underrated?
Speaker 3: Underrated? My god, I say, let's see what did I say here? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, crated how well the gradual defunding of our educational system has gone for the conservative takeover, really really really important piece. Remember that documentary Waiting for Superman in twenty ten, I remember, you know, the one about how we are taking away quality education for countless kids and it's becoming harder and harder for parents to like support their kids in pursuit of a better education.
Speaker 2: Just from just.
Speaker 3: The full court press, socioeconomics, how we're not paying teachers enough. All of that come together to have a less educated populace. Not a perfect documentary because it leaves out a lot of other factors and its telling of what's wrong with that, But anyway, all that to say is I remember watching that in twenty ten, and like, as a young person working in politics at the time, I'm like, I wonder when this wave is going to hit our shores and cut to now, Like, as I look at the election and the reactions from people to the absolute fuck shit going down in terms of dismantling agencies, it's clear that all of the this is much easier when people have no idea how fucking how the government works, how.
Speaker 2: Civics, how any of it happens.
Speaker 3: How anything is structured. Like I think for people of a certain age, you're like, what the heck is going on? You know you can't do that. You need that to pay people who need their Social Security or Medica whatever. And then there are other people who are like, I never heard of it, And because I never heard of it, it's probably not going to affect me. And I think that's a really underrated part of like how like sort of not totally frictionless this is going. But when you look at Trump's approval numbers and things like that, a lot of it does have to do with just our general ignorance around civics and the basic structures of government, Like in the same way like the Google questions that were being asked and the lead up to the election, where people like, is Joe Byron Joe Joe president president? Why not I vote for Joe Byron? It's a lot and I get it, like we were spread thin because we're all toiling to survive, and on top of that, we're not we're not learning the things that we used to. But I gotta say that's that's a huge piece of I think why we're we're sort of in the place where we are when we stop investing in the our ability of.
Speaker 2: First feeling to the Democratic Party is also like not doing a good job communicating around this, Like no, no, I feel like they're communicating the us AID thing a little bit, like that's where their focus is. But like things that tend to matter more to people in the United States, like education and right, you know, like the benefits that you get right, Like, they're not really doing a good job making that makes sense. It's like a lot of yeah, hidden behind complexity.
Speaker 3: I think the other thing too, is you know, for for people who still think the Democrats are going to do like again waiting for Superman, he's not coming, and.
Speaker 2: He's not coming.
Speaker 3: It's the thing.
Speaker 2: It ain't them, It's not the current version of the Democrats.
Speaker 3: No, they have been the constant gardeners of maintaining the status quo. That to think that they can suddenly ideologically change gears so dramatically to get into like we're now fighting mode. Yeah, it's just it's a bridge too far. There are plenty of people within the party who are showing that sort of fight. But then like you see Chuck Schumer and he's like leading chance of like we're gonna win. I'm like, what catch you talk whin?
Speaker 2: What win? What? Yeah? Exactly, y'all just lost because you're bad at this.
Speaker 3: Yeah is the plan you're laying out, will vote for us in the midterms after we just let this runaway train go for fucking two years straight before something like.
Speaker 2: At a time when there's a crisis, you're standing there addressing a crisis like the dismantling of the government by the other party. Rather than just saying this is how it's gonna impact you, they like try to like do a pep rally thing like we're gonna win, which was confusing. Yeah, it's it's not great. I was also like when they showed Trump during the national anthem of the Super Bowl and like there was a pop, like people were like ah. I was like, wait, how popular is this motherfucker? And he is more popular now than he ever was during his first administration, which isn't like that popular.
Speaker 3: He's still still or actually he's above fifty percent. I think he's like fifty one maybe yeah, but he yeah, is more like he's getting more popular as this shit is happening because he's like it feels like he's running unopposed in certain ways, or he's like governing unopposed. Well, that's the optics. I think That's another thing I've talked about too with people like this past week, just when everyone's just kind of dealing with all their anxiety and like, well, he's doing Like one thing that Trump is is he pretends like he's not the real deal. Ever. He is an aspiring fashion he's not a polished fascist. And you know, like if he had, if he was able to actually corral Congress and do all these things through acts of Congress, I'd be like, shit, okay, But he has to do everything through executive order to sort of project this power. That doesn't make him any less dangerous. So I don't say that to like like be complacent. It just means there's a little more time to try and organize to properly resist all of this. But as it stands, like he's doing a lot to project that power, to give this sort of impression that it's like, dude, you can't do shit about anything, and now just lay down and let it happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's there. They're trying to send that message and I feel like I don't know, there's some aspect of how the rest of it's being communicated, like the the response the focus is like too technocratic or something, and so it just feels like it's not picking up, you know, like aren't getting it. It's not it's not coming through. Yeah, all my underrated is consuming classic art like old things. I saw a Chekhov play over the weekend.
Speaker 3: Consuming classic art is quite underrated, hmmm, I.
Speaker 2: Think with a nice red Yeah. No, it's it's just like not the sort of ship that I'm usually like. I'm more of a pop timate like I like movies, you know, like that's kind of my go to thing. But we had a friend who was in a play that we went and saw and you know, it was a like small theater a couple dozen people and maybe maybe like yeah, like three dozen people's full house, like all those tickets were sold, but very small theater. Like you were like sitting on the stage basically.
Speaker 3: Like a little black box theater kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it held your attention, like the the like really moved. But the ship there talking about it's like written in the eighteen hundreds and it's like kids being fame obsessed and like how fame ruins people, and like just feels very much like, oh, this doesn't feel like I just assumed everybody in Russia in the eighteen hundreds was just talking about plowing wheat farms, and you know, like I didn't think there's like a universality and like a timelessness to a lot of this shit that we're dealing with. You know, back back then they were like, Oh, this new fed that's ruining kids chess right right, making them lazy and distractable. But yeah, I don't know, there's something about the experience of like communing with something that's old and being like, ah, there's been shitty people like that for decades, and you know, like they're one of the characters is just a like fame ruin and actress and like her famous like writer husband, and like they're just like such identifiable pieces of shit that I feel like a lot of people have probably encountered in the modern world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the world being terrible is nothing new at least that's you know, what you learn.
Speaker 2: From all that, and like the specific ways that it's terrible, even though it feels like things are kind of escalating out of control with new technology. And that's probably true in some ways. In other ways, it's like a lot of working with the same problems and uh, you know, getting getting similar results. Myles, what is something that you think is overrated? Oh?
Speaker 3: Our need to offer people silver linings constantly, you know, on the wet hand, when we're experiencing crisis, like I think we've all done this right, Like someone is experiencing some kind of tragic event, and we try to wrap up a conversation with like, you know, well, at least dot dot dot dot dot. You know, at least at least shit, at least you have your passport.
Speaker 2: It's my least my one go to other than comparing it to something that's happened to myself. But Miles, my house hasn't burned down. So what am I supposed to say to you?
Speaker 3: What do I say? I don't know how to say anything to this. No, anything else is uncomfortable. I get it, right, Like we don't want to leave people on a bad note quote unquote so to speak. But as someone that has been on the receiving end of countless, you know, like, well, at least you dot dot dot. But I just want to say that sometimes you just want to be like, Na, this is pretty fucked up.
Speaker 6: Huh, and accept that you know what I mean to not And I don't mean to say that it's a violence to try and offer someone a silver lining silver linings amidst all of this, But I think it's important to really acknowledge what the experience is too and to process that properly.
Speaker 3: It doesn't mean I have zero perspective, like I'm saying like I don't like obviously, I'm speaking very specifically about what's happened to me in my in our home burning death. Excuse me, my voice cracked out because I was getting the clemped, I was out of breath, and I'm a man, damn it. I will not be caught on a microphone again only to k show video. Only to Kylie Minogue's videos. That's the only time I show announce of emotion. But like sometimes you again, you have to honor where you're at with a grieving and mourning process, and there's a lot of labor involved in sort of making yourself be okay to comfort another person who can't fathom your pain, and that gets a little bit exhausting. I think. I think because a part of that is just sort of culturally, especially in America, we just it's all about resisting death. It's all about not accepting the inevitable. Like that is so ingrained and it's very different to me also being Japanese, where death is very normal. Death is accepted, it's part of our cycle, it's inevitable, and thus it's something you do not fear. I mean, obviously no one is like and I want to die, but it's not sort of looked at with the same horror at times as I as I noticed like in America, and I think also too, like if we don't allow ourselves to be in pain, it's also hard to adequately like acknowledge the suffering of others people when we don't acknowledge our own pain. Broad Yeah, so I try to. I think just's it's really important to like really honor where you're at emotionally, because also, like when I've had friends be like hey, like like you're doing all right though, and I'm like, nah, not really, Oh no, it's still very oriented. Yeah, And I'm like, and I'm not asking you to say something to make me feel better, Like I'm not saying that, I'm just saying things are very difficult. I'm dealing with them. I have a lot of support systems in place, but it's like so many times I'm like trying to convince myself that I'm okay or like I'm over it, yeah, without and I think that's a lot harder than just accepting allowing myself to be like, no, man, like this is this is very difficult and you have to just take it step by step rather than trying to condense this process into like a three day thing. And but yeah, but I'm on the other side of it, and I'll good, we're back, We're back, We're back to stay up all right, here we go. Yeah, it makes me feel like that. It's just easier in a weird way. It's easier to live like that than to try and sort of convince myself like maybe I'm not as affected by everything that's going on and like the grieving the loss of my community and things like that. Yeah. So anyway, all that to say is I just think it's it's important to be very honest with ourselves about what we're experiencing. And you know, I think offering people a bit of optimism is great. I totally think it's great, and I think it's honorable and I think it's also just totally fine to like just be there with somebody when they're not doing okay, and you can you find other ways to to sort of be with them as they get through something.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, just sit with them. Yeah, you don't have to you don't have to solve it. You don't have to make them feel better in the moment, like just being there and accepting that they don't feel great right now. Yeah, and just yeah, being being with them, being there for that.
Speaker 3: Men have to solve ship all the time, like so many like so of my homies. You know. Look, I love y'all a lot of the times too. It's much easier like, well, you know, we're gonna get this done. Like, hey, you know what, bro, what if we were just hurting for a little bit, you know what I mean? Like, let's that's part of the human experience. This is all part of being alive. This is all part of how we become stronger and we evolve. So let's embrace that part of it too. Hey, look on the bright side of things though, Hey, look at the right side of things though.
Speaker 2: Hot the eagles, I don't think it's like you know, brand the editor was saying, like America's unrelenting fake optimism is tiring. Like I think it's like like you said, it's like easier to do that, you know, I don't even know that like people realize they're doing that. I think it's just a strategy.
Speaker 3: Because you don't want to you don't want to leave yourself like on a note in your consciousness to be like, oh man, yeah, and then stay there, you know, because I think the other part of it, too, is to say you go, oh man, this is terrible, and the next thing you have to tell yourself is and that's okay, and that's normal, sit with it. Yeah. I think the reason we try and sort of like be optimistic and use optimism to get out of it is to just sort of not let it be the last thing that we're thinking, which is, ah, this is terrible, rather than and the optimism comes from saying and that's okay, and I can accept that.
Speaker 2: My overrated is looking on the bright side of things. Miles, you've been too down in the helps buddies. Oh boy, we got a cynic lot now. I was gonna say overrated, like just all these little quasi holidays. American culture has this time of year, like mainstream American culture, like lots of other you know, cultures, have big holidays from January to like the end of March, like which I think is one of the more depressing times of the year. So like cultures like so you have like Ramadan, Lunar, New Year, no Russ, you know, and then mainstream American culture like tries to like event invent like you know, the super Bowl, I think is one of our like little quasi holidays we give ourselves the Oscars, Saint Patrick's Day, Valentine's Day, or like these little kind of fake holidays, And I feel, I don't know, like I don't I don't know how you invent a holiday out of whole cloth, but I do feel like people are probably in need of something more spiritually like culturally significant. Then the super Bowl. I feel like the super Bowl always leaves me feeling a little depressed. Like it's like a major event that's like, I don't know, designed by and for people who listen to like morning Zoo radio, you know, and there like it just feels like it has that energy like you're like listening to an FM radio station I don't know. Yeah, yeah, then tax Day is like the photographic negative of a holiday, so that's in there as well.
Speaker 3: All those things like Valentine's Day, Saint Patti's Day, Briani Pasinko de Mile, there's like the way we celebrate these, they're all just so consumption based. Yeah yeah, how much fucking beer are you gonna how many wings are you gonna eat on Super Bowl Sunday? How much what gifts are you gonna buy for your significant other on Valentine's Day? How green is your shit gonna turn on March eighteenth? From how much green crap you ate on Saint Patrick's Day? Like yeah, Like to that point, there aren't many that are truly about I mean again, that's just because our culture is so devoid of that kind of stuff just generally speaking, like it's we're not very spiritual. We're not spiritual really at all, and our spiritualism is tied to these like very similar centric things.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I don't know. Maybe I'm just saying people who are like the Monday after Super Bowl should be a holiday are correct, even though super Bowl Monday a dead take super Bowl Monday, give the people some fun.
Speaker 3: Thing that I think is you create your own holidays, right. Like so my father in law his friends have had this thing they've done since like the sixties where it's called Dentist Day and all their friends have like a dent tell their work, they have a dentist appointment, but they all have a party. They all just get together and hang out, like in the middle of the week, like once a year. They're all like, all right, because no one works at the same place. They're like, hey, we all got that dent It's it's the dentist party on this day, and we just use that to get together and kind of have fun and be feel kind of cheeky because we talked about you know, we fake the we fake the dent disappointment. But those I feel like that kind of stuff is like you kind of just got to be kind of more, just figure out something that works for you too, and then you can those things morph into a tradition that you know, allows everyone to kind of get together not necessarily have to be like how many how many pounds of wings are you going to bring, just to be like yeah, then we all just get together. We all went to the park, or we all just hung out somewhere or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: But I'm reading this book What the Wild Edge of Sorrow. That's about like partially about like our cultural and ability to deal with sorrow and like difficult feelings. And but the way that they do it is like by creating like rituals around that like that don't already exist for people. So maybe, yeah, like I like the idea of inventing some sort of holiday, whether it be Dentists Day or some sort of like you know holiday, if you don't already have it through like a lot of religions already have have this, But if you if you don't already have that built in, build yourself a little a little holiday, especially at this time of year, so you don't so you're not overly relying on the fucking super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, have a dentist Day.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's take a quick break and we'll come back. We'll talk a little bit more about the super Bowl and other ship. We'll be right back and we're back, And any straight did you watch the super Bowl other than the Kendrick Show?
Speaker 3: Uh No, Okay, I mean yeah, I'd be lying if I said it was on. And I was mostly like commiserating with friends and stuff, because I don't I could care less about the teams involved in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I could care I got the chief struggling.
Speaker 3: I actually know, you know what, I do love the chief struggling, especially with like that asshole Kicker and you know, Patrick Mahomes and just like that whole like maga shit. I'm like, yeah, yeah, go ahead, go hold that. Although I'm I'm under no illusion that their conservatives all over the NFL, but I think also the Blake Wexler of it also shout out my boy Chris, very loyal philid Philadelphia Eagles fans, so you know, for that from that respect, I was like, I was like, I wanted.
Speaker 2: To see the Eagles win, so yeah, and I think the Eagles fan base has one good politics, so I think we're a good oh.
Speaker 3: Famously famously famously famously unimpeached.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I mean the just stray Super Bowl observations, Uh, you know, I didn't I didn't watch the whole thing. I missed. I guess Trump was interviewed at the beginning, and you know, not surprisingly for someone who can't go through an entire press conference in the wake of a tragic plane crash without like giving his opinion on like who's to blame with like zero facts on the ground. Unsurprisingly, he just was like, yeah, I'm cheering for the Chiefs. I'm here for the Chiefs because and he specifically said because Patrick Mahomes' wife is a fan of his. Literally, like, just the Chiefs swayed with the same tactics that every dictator and leader in the world is.
Speaker 3: She would had a beautiful love letter. Oh okay, it's that easy. Huh.
Speaker 2: So I wish I had seen that would have been the most important thing for me to actually enjoy the game, because the Chiefs did promptly take a massive shit on the field. Uh, specifically Patrick Mahomes, who a lot of people talk about as the best, the goat best to ever do. It didn't look like it. Last night.
Speaker 3: I kept asking a friend. I was like, all right, so, I mean this is a bad halftime score, right, like, and.
Speaker 2: He's like, well, you never know, twenty four to nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Like this isn't great, right, But then other people were like, no, I mean, you know, if someone could do it, it's potentially Patrick mah Homes. But I was like, but then, based on what I had seen in the first half like ish, I was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh it doesn't have shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they looked a little bit. Uh. I don't know. I mean I guess I get. I get how complacency kicks in when you're like about to do your third one in a row and you're like yeah, all right Canley. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But anyway, it uh yeah, a tough night for him. You know, Tom Brady was doing the game. You know Tom Brady, who is the person who's like in competition with him to be the greatest player of all time, and uh was you know, the thing that everybody was hoping for in order to like get a good game was that we'd see another comeback on par with like what Tom Brady did against the Falcons and that it would be a good you know after they got down by so much. But that didn't happen. There's a good piece of like successful quarterback psychology where Tom Brady was like, yeah, I just you know, after a game like this, you wake up the next morning and you're like, that was a bad dream. That is not reality. That was a bad dream, and you're just like kind of unable to accept it. But yeah, you kind of move on eventually, like just just the dark, just the darkest places that somebody like that goes to once again shout out to the flyover of the you know, air force, military planes once again sucked. Total shit. I don't know how this remains a part of the Super Bowl. I mean, I know how it remained. It's like a trying to show off military mite, but I don't know, try a new angle. Literally, guys, pointing the camera up and showing some planes fly by is the equivalent of like trying to take a picture of the moon. It looks like shit, it's not. I guess it might be cool in person, but I just stop.
Speaker 3: Throwing the fucking military industrial complex and people's faces. Yeah, like they're like, and there goes your healthcare folks right overhead. All right, now, let's toss that coin. Sure and Chris when especially when they fly like a stealth bomber, like at the fucking Rose Bowl, I'm like two is this fucking four?
Speaker 2: Yeah for little children? My kids were impressed, But.
Speaker 3: Oh my dude, the guys child bro he hears a fucking plane.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it is they're still at that stage where they haven't you know, for the entirety of human history up to like whenever the Red Brothers invented flight.
Speaker 2: I think it was like nineteen seventy two, but like whenever that was, up to that point, humans were like obsessed with fly. They were like, that's crazy, Like the idea that you could fly like a bird is like the craziest thing imaginable. And like children are still like they haven't like gotten past that. They're still just like.
Speaker 3: What I know. I tell them all, get over it, clean over it, stop acting so new.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I will say, uh, worse Dad has to go to the Snoop Dogg and Tom Brady ad where there. Just did you see that one? You probably if you weren't listening closely. I hate you because you're different. I hate you because I hate you because you hate me.
Speaker 3: I'm like, bro, I'm tired of seeing Snoops old ass up there, you know, man shucking and jiving for the dumbest ship all the time. This was that I was like at the end, I was like, oh, it's it's Robert Kraft's you know, yea faux anti semitism campaign.
Speaker 2: Yes exactly, Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's right. This is from Robbert Craft's, owner of the New England Patriots, who uh, you know went when when he launched this anti hate organization, he like went on the rounds of cable news, saying, uh, horrible to me that a group like Hamas can be respected and people in the United States of America can be carrying flags or supporting them, equating Palestinian flag with supporting Hamas. And yeah, I mean just all saw that ship.
Speaker 3: We saw how how much the media was just like, yeah, what's your take. Okay, that'll be ours, That'll be ours too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He claimed that a call for a ceasefire and end of the violence were expressions of the rise in anti Semitism. So yeah, that.
Speaker 3: Same way, same way that de id I is destroying white people. Yes, oh you mean, okay, equity is equity.
Speaker 2: I want people to stop killing each other, and they, of course you hate anti smit.
Speaker 3: Now that people should stop killing each other. The thing is, I don't want like chill body to die.
Speaker 2: Specifically like that that that seems to be a real problem in there here.
Speaker 3: Why wear this? You should wear this jersey I found from the inaugural season of the x FL. It said he hate me on.
Speaker 2: The back create deep cut reference. We already talked about Kendrick a little bit up top. He brought art to the halftime show. Yeah, mileage may vary. I think older people were confused, and oh my god of Naga bro. They it's so funny how they all like how how one note the whole right wing outrage machine is because it's like, all right, what are we saying?
Speaker 3: Because we can't just say I hate hearing black people talk in public. You have to say something like I don't understand what he's saying. I wish I could understand a word of what he said, but I just don't know. Oh it's so terrible. It's so bad.
Speaker 2: He's mumbling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what most of the takes were. Then they said, somebod who's a Satanist.
Speaker 2: He every time, you're going to be able to find some Satanism in there for sure.
Speaker 3: Same ship too, Like they hated that Lettusy saying that, you know, black national anthem, lift every voice and sing at the top. You're like, an it is because yeah, I said some weird ass about that too.
Speaker 2: What is hateable about that?
Speaker 3: Because they they're like, it's because they probably want to acknowledge that there's any such thing as black American culture. And it's it's part of America. So why would you acknowledge that at the Super Bowl? Just sing the national don't sing, lift every voice and sing. I almost said lift every chair and swing as a result, you know, referencing the riverboat brawl that happened two years ago. That was a meme. And then Serena Williams c walking, I love you.
Speaker 2: Serena Williams used to date Drake is that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people were like, whoa that?
Speaker 2: I mean, a tough watch for I'd say the President of the United States and Drake in particular.
Speaker 3: Apparently Trump walked out two minutes before the halftime show. Oh really, yeah, he wouldn't. He wasn't They said he wasn't in the he wasn't there for Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was surprised we didn't get his commentary.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, I thought he would do all right. I figured that that's a big one. But I guess he didn't.
Speaker 2: Just a little bit more hopeful. Yeah, any complaints that I heard, I was like, oh yeah, I also wanted more like good kid mad cities, Like at least some good kid mad city.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just impossible to satisfy everyone like a Super Bowl halftime show is you know, it may may have made it in the cold open, but like the Katy Perry like American Maximalism halftime show, I think is like one of the best halftime shows in terms of like the American maximalism like.
Speaker 2: Of it always the assignment, Yeah goes above and beyond.
Speaker 3: This was like artistic, like turning the GNX into a clown car and having everybody pop out of there and like there's just so many interesting like it was. It was definitely for for a very specific audience, which I liked.
Speaker 2: The clown car was also for for the kids. My kids were like, whoa, how are so many people getting out of that actor? But yeah, also bad night for Drake. I feel like when he says certified, lover Boys certified, and the entire super Dome Yeah said pedophile, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Any anybody at least even though he didn't say pedophile, you know, he was like, Okay, I'll let y'all, I'll let y'all do that part he did minor.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 3: I Hear you like him young?
Speaker 2: That was still I Hear you like him young? And then the Super Bowl ads, I feel like they have a new tool where it's just like we're in the weird ad era, kind of like the you know what what Tim and Eric did for Old Spice, Yeah, has been just rippling through the ad landscape ever since then. Now, Like I feel like half of the ads are like, we're doing Tim and Eric stuff the same way.
Speaker 3: Remember like when Dollar Shave Club did that one ad that was like a long runner. Yeah, and every then every fucking company had to start doing the long runner Dollar Shave Club. And it's just funny, how certain like how the advertising world kind of like coalesces around like one aesthetic for a while, just like how every trailer had some version of the inception.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, most people in media are you know, just copycats. They're just copying.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah. There was the very strange Seal ad directed by Takawa, in which Seal sings a modified version of Kiss from a Rose that's all about mountain dew, Baja Blast and like he can't open it because he got seal flippers.
Speaker 3: How did you feel? Look, we we famously love Seal and Baja Blast and Kiss from a Rose and Kiss from a Rose one of my faves. I was a bit underwhelmed, I'll be honest. I loved when he said baha babaa bah. I was like, oh, okay, yes, and then.
Speaker 2: It was like an Aka on this show. Yeah, yeah, straight up.
Speaker 3: But then it's just like for how long it went and it was all about his singing. I was like, okay, it kind of the well ran dry for me a little bit, like.
Speaker 2: Quickly. Yeah, I don't know. I didn't didn't strike me as like one of the better or worse ads. It was like right right in the middle, Jason Momoa just being the like I feel like his general energy in those ads is like the bad guy from The Fast and the Furious movies where he like tortures people for like a hobby. So that's kind of weird. She's I think they're like, do your do your Aquaman thing. But I'm always reminded of when he's like sitting around having a tea party with a bunch of dead bodies at the beginning of The Fast and the Furious movie.
Speaker 3: What Also, how did Casey affleck stinking ass get back on TV? I mean, I mean, I know his brother dry through that commercial, but I was like, bruh, he was.
Speaker 2: Good at Oppenheimer. We'll give him a pass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, he's back. Baby.
Speaker 2: He was wildly convincing psychopath and Oppenheimer. So yeah, it seems like a good, good enough guy. But yeah, I don't know, Like the the fleshy hat one. Did you see that the two B one? Yeah, where the kid has like a cowboy hat like built into his head like on like his skull is the shape of a cowboy hat. Yeah, but like the brim has like weird bends in it, so it like makes you be like, is he in pain?
Speaker 3: Like no, man, hey man, Nope, nope, no, cowboy hats perfect on the brim. You know, he's he's been wearing that thing for a while. It has been doing hard work in that skull is because isn't that thing like and like he gets older, right, and then he goes to a bar and he sees some like fantasy fans who got like gandolf skulls, but they got a real cowboy hat on top of their gandolf skull.
Speaker 2: Because they think it's just like cowboys are like back in fashion or something like.
Speaker 3: Just be you.
Speaker 2: I didn't totally follow it, to be honest with you, I have to.
Speaker 1: I have to.
Speaker 2: It's like one of those things. It's like a you know, Currosawa film. He needs to be rewatched multiple times to fully like get the layers. Same with the Ram Glen pal Ram Truck Goldilocks ad. This is NI plus ad where all the characters are inceptioned. But yeah, I don't know. For some reason, the cowboy had attached the head felt like a body horror thing to me. Really freaked me out. And then I was looking for AI stuff and there was a Google ad hyping Gemini AI that contained information that was not not accurate. Like it's like a Wisconsin dairy farmer who finds that Gouda cheese comprises fifty to sixty percent of global cheese consumption and there's a blogger who was like that can't be true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then our pizzas have Guda on them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are like, what are you talking about? How could that be so like a thing that it's just wild that they had an ad a Super Bowl ad aimed at like getting people familiar with this product that is all about like finding and contextualizing information, and it had like a fact that I any human could tell you. It's like they highlighted the problem with AI is like the lack of human intervention to be like, guys, we're gonna need to double check that the GUDA can't possibly comprise fifty to sixty percent of global cheese consumption. And so a blogger pointed that out, and then somebody from Google, Jerry Dishler, was like, actually, Gemini scours websites, and multiple sites across the web include the fifty to sixty percent stat.
Speaker 3: Okay, there are multiple websites that til you vaccines cause autism exactly and exactly the problem. That's the fucking problem.
Speaker 2: And when you Google like what is the most consumed type of cheese, Like it's not even it doesn't even like those aren't the first ones that came up. It's it's so wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah good, I mean, what a perfect, un ironic encapsulation of what that whole thing is. Yeah, and then having some dude be like, well, actually, just yeah, it's an It's an l man. I'm sorry you spent millions of dollars to just post something that made your product look worse than it is. Wondering like what how what search terms did they use to get to Google, like in the Netherlands or something, you know what I mean, Like specifically, I don't know what the fuck like where they're Google, like sixty percent of global cheese consumption global being used like globally within these five families in the Netherlands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, I don't know. Very confusing anyways. Also shout out to the Alien ads. There's an Alien ad with Pete Davidson for Pam I think I thin it was like a Super Bowl ad for Pansy, But then there was a good one with Tim Robinson and yeah for Totina's pizza.
Speaker 3: Rolls, and that sounds like a good match. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also cool quote from Tim Robinson last week that people were like, yeah, at the time that Lauren decided to have Donald Trump host SNL writers weren't thrilled. One writer at the time said Lauren has lost his mind. Someone needs to take a gun and shoot him in the back of the head. It was Tim Robinson.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's who Tim Robinson.
Speaker 2: Tim Robinson said that at the time.
Speaker 3: They go.
Speaker 2: But anyways, I think that's the trend I'm getting. We're ready for the big disclosure, guys. That's what our Super Bowl ads are telling us. There's also one where like a UFO beam of Light is trying to steal someone's Derrido's I think, hey.
Speaker 3: They got to get us in touch with the stakes here for when the aliens come try and take our dors.
Speaker 2: That's right, all right, let's uh, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back. Mm hmmm. And uh, Ice is putting up numbers, baby, in terms of comparisons to the Gestapo. They're just crushing it, putting up huge numbers there there.
Speaker 3: I mean, all last week you were hearing about ice raids in so many different states that happened in Chicago, there was a huge Denver and in Denver they said they were there to quote capture over one hundred members of the violent Venezuelan gang trend de AG, which is the one that they used to first foment that first immigrant panic when the are like they're they're kicking down doors and they're they're robbing people there, they weren't. So apparently after this raid they arrested one alleged gang member and twenty nine other people were detained for unspecified reasons, which is fair.
Speaker 2: You know, they would specify, you know, they would throw claim those people were gang members if they had any way of.
Speaker 3: And anecdotally, I'm I've heard all kinds of shit, of people just getting stopped, people fucking impersonating ice to fuck with people. There's like, it's this whole fucking wave of uh, you know, raids is like brought upon all kinds of shit. And now there's news that they're hearing up for like some kind of huge action in La. Yeah, and like you're saying, everyone's like, yeah, this is very geheimstatz polite si if I may use the full name of the Gestapo. Yeah, but yeah, it's unbelievable, and I think it was crazy, as Jam points out, our writers just like how a lot of people were like, yeah, this is like the Nazis, but then it's actually the Nazis were inspired by America's horrible treatment of in the nineteen thirties.
Speaker 2: Hitler was a huge fan of the United States, like just generally and inspired by a lot of American culture and this one in particular.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm surprised there isn't a move of conservatives be like, we need to reclaim Nazism for America.
Speaker 2: That was our idea. Actually, so you guys need to fucking chill out with Nazi comparisons. Yeah, give us credit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this was like stuff they were doing, Like you know, they were screening people that were coming from Mexico to quote force to strip naked, subjected to screenings for homosexuality, low IQ physical deformities like clubbed fingers, okay, doctor Mengola. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Eugenics was hugely popular in the United States, like in the early twentieth century.
Speaker 3: They're like, all right, well we lost the slavery thing. Else how else can we try and get our fingers into everyone's lives? Make other people? And then this is the other wild thing to disinfect quote unquote disinfect people as they were coming through they were using these like gasoline, kerosene, sulfuric acid, and even fucking zyklon b, which is the exact same gas they used in gas chambers during the Holocaust. I'm like, oh my god, what.
Speaker 2: If we just like crank that up a little bit, Like we like where they're going with us, but what if we just cranked it up a little higher?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, And I mean, like to the point, there's like this one author who points out David Dorado Romo this like actually no, no, no, this is a consequential. Author even has a quote from Hitler in nineteen This is a quote from Hitler in nineteen twenty four. Quote, the American Union itself has established scientific criteria for immigration, making an immigrant's ability to set foot on American soil dependent on specific racial requirements on the one hand, as well as a certain level of physical health of the individual himself. And this was like, yeah, just just in his musings, Like wow, interesting, interesting how they figured that out. But yeah, I think the one thing that we have seen is that every time Tom Homan goes on TV and he's like, bah, this is I'm not getting away with it, like how I want to the Ice like Ice guy. He it's every time. It's because he's lamenting that people are know their rights. So I think it's really important for people to understand that that is the best defense against these raids right now is purely being informed. And like all immigration advocates, legal experts, they've been sharing information all across social media and things like that, how you should never open the door for Ice. This is something you know, they need a warrant signed by a judge. Ice will be like we have a warrant and you're like, who's it signed by. It's like my friend who also works at ICE, and that's you go, no, that's not valid. I'm sorry. Nice fucking try. Never leave your home to follow them, to be like, oh I got a warrant over here, come check it out. Just exit your domicile. Never do that.
Speaker 2: They're like vampires. It's so crazy, like.
Speaker 3: And yeah, otherwise you can be like, no, I'm good. Also have this garlic. I have a ton of garlic and wooden stakes in here. You're not gonna like it. Don't sign anything. And again, for people who like want to help, there's a lot. There's a huge need for people who like notaries or like lawyers, people who can work as interpreters because as Tom Holman said, like in Chicago, that those raids did not go as well because he said the people were quote too educated.
Speaker 2: Too too well educated. That's what that was, a quote from fucking borders are, Tom Homan. They're too well educated. They call it, No, you're rights. I call it how to escape arrest. Oh okay, yeah, it is my right to escape arrest. If you don't have you don't have anything on the asshole they call it.
Speaker 3: It's such a stupid Again, you're so dumb. You just go. They call it no your rights. I call it getting away with the with your crime and what and what of you sir and what have you? Yeah, yeah, this is just uh yeah, I mean this, this is not slowing down. But this is again like there's no catch all at the moment to how this is how we all push back and how we resist these things. But there are clearly there are ways to slow this thing down. One of them for sure is to inform yourself and others in your community who could be at risk from harassment by ICE to know what their actual rights are, rather than you know, finding the guy who just put on a you know, a fucking tactical vest with police on it and be look, I know everything. Now come come with me, so I can, you know, completely violate your rights, So you know, can let's continue to inform ourselves at least in this in this dimension or at least this aspect against pushing back against this ICE nonsense.
Speaker 2: He He also said that the Colorado raid didn't go as well as he had hoped so because of local activists and community members. So it is work like this is the sort of local action that can actually be helpful while we're waiting to figure out what's going to happen at a more national level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because when you read like the writings of people that were involved in like resistance movements like in World War two and stuff, it's like the theme there isn't always like it's not to beat the Nazis, like we cannot. We just don't have the infrastructure or the ability to fight off an entire army like that. The point is to cause as much friction as possible, to make things as difficult as possible, to sabotage when necessary. And these are the kinds of you know, ways we're seeing that sort of play out in these like very sort of micro scenarios. Yeah. But yeah, I mean again, which is so weird to think it's like, yeah, we're sabotaging them by knowing our rights, unfortunately that's the way, but telling them what is legal, right, Yeah, all right, those are some of the things that are trying on this Monday morning, February tenth.
Speaker 2: We're back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show with the Great Blair Saki, So you can tune in for that until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get your vaccines, and get your flu shots, especially your flu shots. Right now. I was talking to a doctor who's saying that the flu shot this year in particular, like people who are getting this year's flu without the flu shot are down for like two weeks. People who have had their flu shot, it's more like a two day situation. So this year in particular feels like a good one to get your flu shot if you haven't already. Don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to yell tomorrow. Bye bye.