Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Catch twenty two podcasts with Evan Lazar and Alex Bar and Lazarre Glow.
Speaker 2: Everybody nailed it, joined us always by our bark gas A match, no risk.
Speaker 1: Here is Evan Lazar and Alex Barr.
Speaker 2: Guys that break out early as freshman and sophomores in college tend to be really good NFL player.
Speaker 1: You're telling me the better players in college end up being the better players than the promst It's got the nerds have figured out the guys that it took them to twenty twenty four to figure this out. Congratulation, yes the better.
Speaker 2: Just stop you, all right, everybody. It's Evan Lazar, Alex Bard, Patriots Catch twenty two. Different vibe for Patriots Catch twenty two today Bark, no studio, no live show. We're doing this old school. It feels like almost a throwback, doesn't it, that we're just recording a podcast but no live You know, we had our glow up that we got to be in studio now and have live shows and things like that. So now it's just.
Speaker 1: Let's not act like it's never going to be like that again. It's just one week, I know.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying like this, this show right now is like back in the day when we you know, you just hit record on pipeer on zoom or our lovely friends at WebEx and then all and you just would do it like we're doing now. So it's just it's a little different. But it's for a good reason. And that's because I am in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, where I just got out of Drake May's Pro Day. I was at LSU and Baton Rouge yesterday. So we're going to talk about those two pro days. We're gonna talk about pro days in general a little bit because I think there's a little there's some there's some pushback about how much these actually matter and all those types of things. But before we do that, we do have to shout out our friends at bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, bud Light, the official sponsor of the New England Patriots. And also do you know what it's on Sunday?
Speaker 1: What is on Sunday?
Speaker 2: Well, we're hopping towards Easter Sunday, and there's no time like the President to get party ready. With Bob's Discount furniture shop, tons of on trend a dining sets with plenty of style and storage for all of your brunching needs. And while you're here, complete complete the look with seasonal accents and outdoor styles made for warm weather hosting only at Bob's Discount Furniture, the official furnace Furniture store of the Newland Patriots. I need to get better at these reads. It's been a while since I've done that. But where should we start. I think the first place that I want to start with before we get into the two pro days, and I'll talk about them in order. We'll start with Drake Masons, I'm just fresh off of scene that and then discuss Jaden Daniels. But Pro Days in general, I think the one thing that this has taught me hre this little tour that I've done here is that there's nothing more or polarizing than the pre draft process than pro das. I've never seen anything like it. How angry and how fed up people get over talking about individual throws out of pro Day or a guy that you know today. Drake may missed a couple early on in his session, and all of a sudden, it's the end of the world. These things just go back and forth, and I think the biggest thing that you have to emphasize with Pro Days is the tape is king. Nothing will ever replace the tape. The tape is the biggest part of the evaluation in terms of the football stuff. Obviously, the teams get with these guys and talk about the off field and the intangibles and all that kind of stuff as well, But in terms of football, the tape is the king. But I think one thing that you get when you go to these in person exposures is that you really see how we were talking about quarterbacks, how the ball flies out of the guy's hand, the control the guy has on the football, the ability to get outside the pocket and make throws like Drake may showed today, or Jaden Daniels throwing a lot of his throws in the pocket, you know, from under center, showing that he could do those types of things. You just have a different view of the velocity, the ball placement, all those types of things, and watching it on TV or watching it on film. So as much as I don't want to sit here in overrate Pro Days or underrate Pro Days, I think we all need to relax a little bit. In general, it's the Pro days, but just remember keep them in context. But more importantly, they do have there are a purpose to them. They wouldn't do them if there was zero purpose to them. So I think that some people go a little bit crazy with the anti Pro day stuff as.
Speaker 1: Well, they still run the forty. It's not a ton of purpose in the forty. I think the purpose is the guys that want to protect their stock and work out in a more controlled environment have that option than throwing at the combine. That's what it's combine for guys that think they're above the combine. I don't think you should be sold on any player based on a Pro Day. Now, I do think it's fair to knock a player a bit for a bad prodain for performance because kind of, like I just said, it's the most comfortable you're ever going to be throwing a football shorts and T shirt against air to your own teammates. Like, the only real variable is the pressure of it being in front of NFL evaluators. Now that being said, I think a lot of people look at what Drake May did today and what Jane Daniels did yesterday and see that as some sort of horrible performance. Were they perfect?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: But I don't. That's not like a bad pro day. They were both fine. They were both okay. So if you're so turned off, I think, was it three balls hit the ground for Drake May? And it was for not including a drop for Jane Daniels did? And Daniel's session was was it fifty passes Drake May was seventy? Does four balls hitting the ground in a fifty pass set or three balls hitting the ground in a seventy pass session? Are you willing, really willing to let that overrule what you saw twelve thirteen, fourteen games a regular season, competitive padded live reps football. And if you say, you know what I saw what they did during the season, I didn't like them either. That's fine, Like you can totally believe that, And you're basing it on real, actual tangible like football. If you're gonna let a pro day sway you that much one way or the other, you're just looking for something, You're just looking for something to talk about because it's it's such low impact reps. That And again, neither one was perfect, But I wouldn't say either one went out and threw up all over himself either, And the same would go for JJ McCarthy and I'll even say people and how much I like Michael Pennix And there's people raving about his Pro day and saying, oh, look at him now, he's a first round lock.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I knew that. The Pro day shouldn't convince you of that. The Pro day is just about, like you said, it's really for the in person element. And how does he you know, how does the ball come out of his hand? You get a closer look at the footwork, thing like that, but you should more or less know how you feel about the player before the Pro Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's totally fair. And I think the one thing that this has taught me because the only other Pro Day I've ever attended in person was Boston College last year to go see z Flowers, and that wasn't looking at a quarterback, so it's a completely different animal when you're talking about a quarterback throwing. I think the one thing that this has taught me, and this will be for future years as well. Let's say the Patriots don't get the quarterback this year, they pass on the quarterback, they make the trade down, whatever, and we're all doing this all over again in twenty twenty five. You know, Lord help us, right, I mean, I hope not, but maybe we are. You cannot. And I say this not to insult anybody. I'm saying this because I learned this myself. I don't think that there's any real takeaways from watching a quarterback's pro day on TV. It just doesn't translate the same way. And I think when you watch what these scouts and what these executives and coaches that were here, and the Patriots had another huge contingent in Chapel Hill. They had nine guys at LSU. They had nine guys at Chapel Hill. A little swap out with Cameron Williams going to Washington for Pennix's pro day with Matt Evans, who's an area a national scout, I should say, for the Patriots, So a little swap there, but the same eight guys, you know, the coaching staff, Gerrod Mayo, Als Van Pelt, TC McCartney, Ben McAdoo. Then the executive side, Ellied Wolf, Alanto, Hi Smith macro so all those guys, the top brat the top decision makers were there for both pro days. And I just feel like it doesn't based off of the reaction because your your voice or own battle was here today today to Alex, Yeah, and both of us felt the same way coming off of Drake May's pro But then you go and read the reactions on Twitter and you read the reactions. I listen to some of the reactions for people that weren't here, and I got to tell you it's it's very different reactions to it. I gotta be honest, and I think that you what you see is you see the actual ball flying out of the guy's hand, the velocity, the footwork, the things that you were talking about, how the scouts and the coaches are reacting to it right, Like, I think that's.
Speaker 1: Imprilliant too, And I would charge just to cut in. In addition to that, it's not like there's a level of this is the first guy you've seen throw. You were all in Louisiana watching Jane Daiels yesterday, so in a lot of people, I know you weren't, but a lot of these people were just in Michigan and just in USC Like it was the last one. So it's not like it was these people who haven't seen somebody throw football and have nothing to compare it to. It was the last one he was facing as much scrutiny I think talking about May as and we'll get Jane Daniels Prodey as well. But you know, May had as much pressure, I think as anybody going last, and I think there was as much scrutiny on him as anybody going last. So yeah, I put a lot more stock in the people that were there inside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. And I say that as not to come off as holier than now or anything like that. It's just something that I were.
Speaker 1: There, You were there. That's better. It just is it. Just seeing it in person is better. That's just a fact of it.
Speaker 2: So just to tell the whole story, and we'll start with Drake May and then we'll get into Jadeen Daniels yesterday, to tell the whole story about Drake May. You're talking to some people afterwards. There was definitely a general consensus that he started off a little bit rough. You know, he had those two misses airmailed, a couple throws into the sideline that I think everybody's going to highlight that's anti Drake May. That were bad, you know, really two really bad miss is throwing those deep bauts. He mentioned it afterwards as well. He knew that they were, you know, not his best throws, and he wishes he could have those back. With that being said, once he settled into the pro Day, he really was starting to sling it. I mean he was really spinning it out there. There was a couple throws that had the whole place just Oohn and I Alex the sixty five.
Speaker 1: Yards to see the roof because it looked like he was getting pretty close to the roof.
Speaker 2: He got really close to the roof on one of the in air quotes pro Day throws right where you roll out to the right and throw back to your left or vice versa. He got a little bit close there. But the first throw and I was standing right on the sideline for this one down the right sideline to Tess Walker, about a sixty five yard go ball that had plenty of you know, plenty of runway. I mean, he had any of room to make that throw. And that was the first one that made my jaw drop. And then he hit a couple more of the movement throws. I think the one thing that really stood out that was different between Jaden Daniels' Prode in May's pro Da is that May really emphasized throwing off platform throwing on the run. I thought the level of difficulty at May's pro day was significantly higher than what I saw of Jaden Daniels. That's not to knock Jaden Daniels and say he was terrible, but Jaden Daniels stayed on his spot for the most part and made throws. I thought Drake May really pushed the envelope and his level of difficulty was much much higher. I think that was on purpose. You know, these two guys coming into this. I expected Drake May to look better in this setting. You know, he has the arm talent, he has the off platform ability, he has the gunslinger type of mentality. He's just got a bigger, stronger arm. That's just the bottom line. And I was expecting to see him be better. I thought he was better and not. Again, maybe it's a little bit of confirmation biased because I had Drake May ahead of Jaden Daniels in this process the entire time. But the throw that really put it over the top to me was the go ball. It has sixty five yards in the air, and I thought to myself, there, Alex, if the Washington Commanders pass on Drake May at number two overall, they're crazy. They're absolutely crazy, because this is a guy that can really add so much to your offense for the way that he can throw the football that I just don't necessarily see the same with Jaden Daniels. I have confidence that Jayden Daniels is a better passer than maybe some other people do, that he can stand in the pocket and make throws. We certainly saw that with this vertical passing ability at LSU, the slot phase, things like that. But when it comes to having every single club in your back, there's absolutely no question which one has that in which one doesn't in this equation, and that's Drake May And I thought at the end you had right behind him was Gerardmeo, Elliott Wolf, Adam Peter and Dan Quinn. And I came away from this thinking, there's no way this kid's getting out of the top three. I can't see a way where both of those decision makers now were standing ten yards behind him the entire time during this workout, are going to look at what they saw today and say no thanks. I just can't see that happening.
Speaker 1: Or at the very least, if one of them says no thanks, some other decision maker comes up and says, fine, we'll take him right and moves up. So the most interesting thing to me was that, and you kind of alluded to it. He had so as his quarterbacks coach. Was the guy in the black shirt who was like simulating pressure, was running at him and obviously knows he's not gonna hit him, and it's not like real pressure, but like he's got to kind of change the arm angle and look around to see where the receiver is. And I don't think I've ever seen that in a pro day before, So I'll give him credit for that. That's a degree of difficulty. Look, guys usually want these things to be as comfortable as possible, so to add that little degree of difficulty, I'll give Drake make credit for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly what I took away from it was, I, you know, I watched Caleb's, I watched J McCarthy's. Those guys. Caleb made some incredible down the field throws in his just with the arm talent and in the pure you know, deep bulb ability there. But in general I thought that the person that tried the hardest to flash his abilities in this was Drake. May you know, just the off plat up that I mentioned. The other thing that I think really works for the Patriots in a lot of ways is some of the moving pocket throws he made. Those are two different things. And off platform the things that you were talking about where his QB coaches running at him and trying to simulate pressure and he's thrown off his back foard or he's thrown off of one leg and things like that. He also did a lot of bootleg simulation as well, where he was moving the pocket and then making throws. And I couldn't help but think when you look at a team like the Patriots that hire and Alex van Pelt, that you think are going to go into that Shanahan outside zone type of direction where you are going to want to move the pocket a lot off those bootleg actions, and some of the throws that he was making off of those movement pocket moving pockets were so avp it hurts right like that was exactly why I've always thought that he was a better fit in what they are envisioned doing. So it wasn't perfect, like you said, there was some struggles early on in the pro day for May, but once he settled in, I thought that the arm talent was on full display. All the throws that you could possibly think of in a pro day, he was making them. And I think a lot of people are going to come away from this once you start to year some of the bigger Jay's talking to scouts and talking to executives around the league and reporting on this pro day, You're gonna hear a lot of praise for Drake may and what he was able to put together. A couple more things from may I also thought it was interesting, you know, watching Mayo interact with Mac Brown and Dan Quinn at the end of the pro day. I took a picture of it I posted on Twitter, but it felt like one of those things where Mac Brown is sitting there saying, one of you guys is going to be coaching this kid next year. I don't know who's gonna be, but one of you guys are going to be coaching him next year. And he took a picture with the with the four of them, actually Arthur Smith, and I think it was Cliff Kingsbury somehow got into the photo as well, but it was Kingsbury, makes sense, Yeah, I think it was Cliff Kingsbury.
Speaker 1: I don't know what he's doing with the twentieth overall pick in that picture.
Speaker 2: But yeah, or maybe it was Adam. Here's one of the other commanders. Guys him Peters and Cliftingsbury kind of look alike a little bit. Anyways, uh Drod Mayo on one side, Mac Brown in the middle, Dan Quinn on the other side, was the main photo in that instance. And like I said earlier, I can't see how this guy gets out of the top three. I don't think Mac Brown thinks he's getting out of the top three either. Just along with the Pro day stuff and along with the throws and stuff like that. The other things that I think stood out was how much people were talking about how the intangible factors with Drake may just a kid that I think a lot of people look at as a leader, A strong and tangible guy, you know, talking about Monday through Friday instead of just talking about what's happening on the field on Saturdays. You know, those types of things. Really competitive. I guess he's a very competitive guy off the field as well. Gets into a lot of pickleball battles, you know, basketball things like that. So somebody from the UNC coaching staff had mentioned that he felt like he probably could have made the UNC basketball team.
Speaker 1: If he is, his brother played for UNC basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if he wanted to go in that direction, he probably could have played basketball instead. It would have been a pretty good basketball player. So that's that's what the Drake May experience was like. There was one other thing that I wanted to mention along with tes Walker, by the way, and I'll get to that in a second. I actually thought this was the best I've seen tes Walker look in this pre draft process. Rough Senior Bowl week he ran Foyle at the combine, which we were expecting. But today I actually was like, all right, you know, I can see what the tools that tes Walker brings to the table as well. And I thought he was had a nice day today too. You obviously have the vertical speed. But the other thing I think that stands out to him with him is he's six foot two, he's six foot three something like that. He's got a pretty large catch radius, and I'll though he's got some inconsistent hands, you can see how that can be helpful on that vertical rod tree to be able to throw it into his catch radius and have him go pluck the ball above his head or outside his frame. So I do wonder, you know, if you're the Commanders, if you're the Patriots, how much do you think about pairing Drake May and then coming back on day two, maybe early day three, and getting Tess Walker as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that makes a lot of sense. And that's some you know, we've talked about that if you take May, Walker becomes a little more valuable to you because you get him a receiver he's familiar with in camp. In that I don't know that it makes or breaks his development, but it certainly can't hurt. So the one other thing you talk about Drake May's competitiveness. Something I liked that he went back and did. It was a seventy throw script, but he made more than seventy throws because he went back and remade the throws he missed, and that just kind of he still missed. He still missed him and it doesn't take away from missing them. And you'd hope that, you know, against air, he's hitting at least fifty percent of the time, right, But it kind of shows the competitiveness of like, no, I'm not leaving un till I get this right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was definitely something that tes Walker talked about afterwards when we talked to him and the media scrum was just that's that's part for the course with Drake May. That wasn't something that wasn't you know, performative for the NFL scouts. That's something that they do would practice every single day. When he messes up a throw or he messes up a route, you know, Tess Walker misses up a rout or whatever, they would go back and correct it in practice as well. So that's just a practice habit that extended onto the pro day. So the Patriots had a meeting with Drake May this morning. He said that obviously he's not going to get up there at the podium and say it went terribly, but he said it went well, and he mentioned one thing I thought was interesting about his answer was getting the Patriots potentially back to the glory days of Tom Brady. And the other thing that he mentioned as well was going over some of their playbook with Alex Van Pelton, some of the things that they're installing with this new iteration, this new coaching staff, which I thought was interesting too. That's something that oftentimes, like the Bears right now, are already doing that with Caleb Williams, he probably already has the Bears playbook at this point and is already studying up. I'm not sure that the Patriots are doing that quite yet with Drake May, but the point is is that they are looking at this is how we kind of think you fit, this is what we would do with you ideally, and walking him through those concepts and seeing how he reacts to it, and it already.
Speaker 1: Means they're starting to put it together too, which is just you know, you think there'd be some sort of base level being put in, but it's kind of interesting to hear that it's to the point where they can like show it to this guy and kind of go over some of the intricacies of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, last thing too, just remembered. We spoke to North Carolina's offensive coordinator Chip Lindsay as well off to the side. Good conversation with him, and he mentioned something that I don't think is out there. I don't think I've this out there at all, and that is in twenty twenty two, which is for a lot of people. The better tape for Drake make is two years ago when he had Josh Downs, he had a little bit more NFL talent around him, and he was better in twenty two than he was in twenty three and twenty two. They were a backpedal dropback team in twenty two, and then in twenty three Lindsey comes in, changes some things about the offense and they became a more traditional drop back team where you see what we see on Sundays in terms of the dropbacks. So a lot of college teams just have the quarterback drop back, straight back and backpedal to a spot and then start making throws. That's not necessarily how they do it in the league anymore. But if you go back and watch old clips of some of the quarterbacks in like the seventies and eighties, they still didn't like at the NFL level. So they don't do that anymore now at the NFL level. So one of the things that was a big emphasis for a lot of people who are big I guess not the best way to say it a lot of people is Drake May's footwork. And I thought that was interesting that maybe what you found out was, well, he was learning all new footwork last year at North Carolina and there was a transition there. You hear a lot about guys tweaking with their throwing motions or tweaking with their footwork at this time as they get ready for the NFL. But Drake May was actually doing that during the season last year in North Carolina under this new regime. So I do wonder how much of the footwork was just that right that he had to go through a little bit of a change at OC and they did things a little bit differently with his dropacks. That might explain some of the reasons why his footwork was a little bit sloppy last year.
Speaker 1: One other question for you, did they have any of the guys who aren't in the draft out there?
Speaker 2: They did, and they also had a couple guys that have moved on to things like the x XFL things like that. That's so back to the pro day to work out.
Speaker 1: Did you guys see Brent, Bryce and Nespin at all this tight end?
Speaker 2: Yes, he was there, but I don't think he participated on thinking off the top of my head, there was one XFL receiver and I should remember the name, but I don't. That made a few really good catches actually in the in the throwing session, made a fingertip catch that that was pretty impressive, and some people were asking for him afterwards, wondering, you know, who the heck is this guy? Right, So that is an interesting part of it. And I know Jaden Daniels talked about that as we kind of segue into Daniels's throw a throwing session yesterday in Baton Rouge. He talked about wanting to throw at his pro day to help improve the stock of other guys because he knows that the media and he knows the scouts are all going to show up for him, so it allows them to amplify some of the other guys.
Speaker 1: But I just, well, so the reason I brought that up, sorry, just just to cut in. The reason I brought that up is I think there's this everybody's afraid of the Mac Jones thing where he was on a team full of superstars, and you know, Drake May wasn't, and Jane Daniels, Oh, will look who he was throwing to. And Michael Pennix, look who he was throwing to, and Bonix, look who he was throwing to. And I've even said this, right, like, if that's a disqualifier for you, Drake May is the only guy you're allowed to be in on because he's He's the last of his kind. All of these guys are going to play on super teams in the NIL era. That all being said, I don't think it was exactly Drake May and a bunch of bums out there. The offensive line is pretty bad. The offensive line was not good. He had better weapons than I think people who don't follow college football realize because they look at the draft. They look at the UNC draft class and they see Teses Walker and that's it. If you go and look at their twenty twenty five class, Bryson Nesbit's probably gonna be the first tight end off the board. Nate McCallum, if he comes out as a wide receiver, he's good. Marion Haampton's really good pass catching back. So I just was curious, like if you were exposed to seeing any of those guys, and maybe kind of again, he's not throwing to Malik Neighbors and Brian Thomas. He's not throwing to a Donja McMillan in Polk, But he wasn't exactly throwing to the twenty twenty Patriots either. Like there was some talent out there. It's for people who only follow the NFL, though, it's not names you know outside of Tess Walker because they were all underclassmen. UNC was just it was a very very young team last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that the other thing that people talked about with UNC too is they were really bummed out by the fact that they only had tes Walker for part of the year last year. I think that was really difficult for them. They came in with a really big plan for tes Walker to be the guy in that offense. He played in eight games, but he was some of those games where you know, he was cleared on a Thursday and then thrown into a game on a Saturday type of situation. So it was you know, that was one of the things that Lindsay said to us was that they didn't really have the tes Walker that they were hoping to have. They had him for some games, but it wasn't every single game. So I thought that in general though, they they spoke highly of Drake May because I think a lot of the time when you when you hear these things, everybody gushes about their guys this time of year, all the coaches, all the the ocs, all the people at these campuses, everybody by I asked ad Lsu praised Jayden Daniels up and down, and everybody I asked that U n C praised Drake May up and down. That that's just they're trying to help these guys out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I don't put a ton of stock in the pro day, because it's built for that specifically. It's a showcase. It's not an evaluation.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that that's a fair point. I think that you know the other thing, and then we can transition to it to Daniels. I think the thing I want to do emphasis emphasize about Drake May though, is that I talked to people that were at Caleb Williams's pro da. JJ McCarthy's all these guys, right, all these guys. JJ McCarthy still has a lot of buzz and praise for how well he threw the ball at Michigan. And I wasn't there for that one. Neither of us were. So it's not that I'm trying to take away from anything that JJ McCarthy did. I just I wasn't there for it. So I don't feel as though I am as knowledgeable about it as I was these two guys. With that being said, I think the one thing that people took away at least from the consensus top three Caleb Daniels and Drake May, was that Drake May's level of difficulty on the throws he was making was way way harder than what Caleb and Jaden Daniels showed scouts. I think Caleb Williams didn't probably feel the need to, and I think Jaden Daniels was trying to show I can be a traditional quarterback. It's not just about my legs. I don't have to move around, I don't have to run. I can just sit here and make throws accurately as well. And I think you did that for the most part. So you're talking about Daniels, you mentioned that he had some incomplete passes, and so did Drake May, so I won't knock him for those. I just that was the biggest thing that I came away from it was I was really impressed with Jaden Daniels's compact release, the smooth delivery, the efficient just top half, you know, above his waist, you can tell that he's got a really fluid, natural throwing motion. It doesn't really look at all like it's uncomfortable or awkward for him to throw the ball, regardless of the arm angle, regardless of the platform and he's got a really compact quick release. So although he doesn't have the biggest of arms, like there was clearly a difference between watching Drake May throw the ball and watching Jayden Daniels throw the ball these last two days. His ability to get the ball out so quickly and have that snappy release allows the ball to get on guys a little bit faster than let's say, what the mphs are going to tell you on a radar gun because of that ability to just get the ball out so quickly, So I thought that was good up from Daniels. I didn't, like I said, make as many throws on the move off platform or guys running at him like they were with Drake made today like you mentioned earlier, But in general I thought that he did what he needed to do and had a solid pro day as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get I think he was fine. I think he was okay. You'd like to see him do a little better in that, but I wouldn't say he, you know, threw up all over himself or anything, and he was he was all right. The big thing for him was the weigh in, which I think he just probably hit the baseline at two ten six three two ten. There were only five hang On, I have the tweet here. I think it's only five quarterbacks last year that started at least eight games to two hund ten pounds. One of them will surprise you, because it definitely surprised me. Hang On, I gotta scroll all the way back yesterday pass my tweet about Joe Milton throwing into the winds. There it is, so, yeah, only five way two ten or less. Aiden O'Connell's six three to two ten, So that's the same size. But Aiden O'Connell looks big, bigger, right, he looks more built, So maybe the listing's off. I got these offrom Pro Football Reference. Kyler Murray five ten two oh seven, Desmond Ritter sixty three to two oh seven, Bryce Young five ten to four. And then this one surprised me. Kirk Cousins sixty three to two oh five. I did not realize Kirk Cousins was that much of a stick. But that's a guy. I know he's coming off at twenty killes, but that's the guy for most of his career was durable. Yeah, so I I feel like that gives you the solid baseline. I don't know that I anything below that, I think you start asking some serious questions. But I think at two ten, you know my rule of thumb, add ten pounds for a guy just getting on an NFL weight program. So he'll he'll come in, he'll be like six three two fifteen twenty. It'll be enough. I don't think anybody will ever call size of strength of his but he'll be big enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair. I didn't look at him and see a string bean. What I saw was, Well, let.
Speaker 1: Me ask you this, for a point of comparison for Patriots fans, how would you compare him to like Taekwon.
Speaker 2: Thornton definitely has more meat on the bone than Taiekwon Taikwan and maybe maybe Taekwon. We've seen some of these off season workouts bart with Taekwon. Maybe he's a totally different human being now, But based off what we've seen from Taekwon in the past, we're not gonna be talking about Jayden Daniels's wrists. We might be talking about his elbow, but right hey, that's the I know.
Speaker 1: People have had that condition. It's a fluid build up that's and it gets you drain it. That's just something that happens to people, especially people who use their elbow repeatedly with force. Uh, there's no extra bone there, it's not it's just a little fluid build up, that's all that is. It's that that should not matter. I we're gonn talk about because it looks weird as hell. A teacher in college, you had that, it was always very weird looking to see. But it's it's just there's a little fluid in there. That's all that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, there's no reason to be concerned about it. I don't think anybody is that matters, you know, the actual teams and the scouts. But I thought looking at Jaden Daniels, and I haven't been in an NBA locker hime ever before, but because some of the times that I have been closer, you know, gotten to meet NBA players or whatever, that's what it reminds. His body type reminds me of is a lean, athletic build. It's not that he is string beanie. I don't think that he's really really thin or so like he's agile. Yeah, I just think that he's a tall, lean guy. And granted, basketball is not a contact sport, and the way that football is so people are going to hear that and probably say, well, basketball players aren't going to have to get drilled in the pocket by three hundred and ten pound linemen, and that's totally fair. But I look at it more like he's probably going to be able to pack on more weight onto the frame because he carries his weight well. It's not like he looks very very frail or very very skinny, nor does it look like he's maxed out. He does look a little bit like a young Jason Tatum. That's probably he's not as tall, obviously, but you know those types of guys in the NBA that are coming and then three four years later, all of a sudden, there they're huge. Right. So that's the way I looked at Jendon Daniels' body type. I didn't look at it and say and come away from this and being like that's a problem, Like it's going to be a problem now. Brian Kelly coming out and saying that people are asking him left and right about whether or not he's going to be able to protect himself at the next level, that lets you know that it's on teams teams his mind more so, I would say, based off of his playing style.
Speaker 1: The non sliding thing is rule, and that's nothing he was going to be able to prove in a pro day. They should have had him do a period where he just like slid and ran out of bounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there was nothing. I didn't come into LSU's Pro day with Jayden Daniels expecting him to put on an absolute show in the throwing session. It just that's not the type of player that he is. I came into it thinking that if he was just accurate and maybe showed some footwork from under center, that teams would be satisfied with that showing. He wasn't as accurate as I was hoping he would be, especially based off of the film where he was extremely accurate last year at LSU. But I think that he threw the ball well enough that when you add in the extra layer that's going to come in, which is his mobility, you have a real, big time explosive playmaker. And that's the thing that he kept on saying to the media afterwards in some of the TV hits I saw that he did was that he's a big play machine. That's what he is. So my biggest fear with Jayden Daniels in terms of the Patriots and just in terms of his NFL projection. It has nothing to do with what he showed yesterday, nothing to do with his size. My biggest fear continues to be I think the comparison that I can use bart to put this in Layman's terms is it's almost like he's a really good three point shooting basketball team, and he's gonna have nights where he's just gonna hit twenty five. I have three pointers and it's just a barrage of threes, and you're just not gonna be able to keep up on the scoreboard. But the question is, what is he going to do if a team devises a really good game plan against his legs or he doesn't have those ball winners on the outside like Neighbors and Brian Thomas Junior to win down the field on the vertical routes. Where are his layups in like his mid range game right now?
Speaker 1: Because so so you admit that a basketball team that shoots a lot of threes that doesn't have a play and b might have some problems down the road.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe that is what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Well, well, we'll put that conversation aside for later, But we're saying regards to Daniels.
Speaker 2: Does that analogy make sense? That's my fear it does.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised to hear it coming from you. But yeah, he's gonna need a better plan. B. He's gonna need a better left hook. Can he become more reliable in the short game and take what's given to him when defenses take away things over the top and kind of you know, spy him more than russiam And is he going to be able to pick a team apart in the short part of the field when that's the only option they give him, which is not He's not the first quarterback to have that problem. We talked a lot about that with Josh Aher, I talk a lot about that with Josh Allen. Uh, that doesn't mean it's not a problem, but like that is, I think a lot of guys now coming out just the way the college game is played. That's that's something that that some guys have to work on.
Speaker 2: It's very similar to Josh Allen, and that's probably the best football comparison is a team like with Bills, Which.
Speaker 1: Is funny because the guy that's being comed to Josh Allen is Drake man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he doesn't. Jadan Daniels doesn't play like Josh Allen. We're not saying that, We're just saying that the type of offense Buffalo is where it's very it's very streaky, and it's very boom or bust. That's the fear that I have with Jayden Daniels. And it's similar to I think moments that Justin Fields has had in the league as well, where he has these moments in these games like the one on Monday Night in New England in twenty twenty too, where you're like, holy crap, this guy is just incredibly talented. You know, you can run around, he can throw, he's got a huge arm, like all, he's got every tool in the toolbox that you could possibly need. But is it going to be able to be consistent and efficient and productive over seventeen games versus just In Spurts And I think the one thing that you definitely also saw at LSU was how good these two receivers are that he was throwing to. So the Patriots met with Malik Neighbors. That was reported I think on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. Yeah, and I would say that that's probably more about doing due diligence for a trade down scenarios. You know, there's a chance that they trade out of the pick, and maybe Molik Neighbors is somebody that they're considering. If they traded to six or eleven or something like that, probably not going to be there at eleven.
Speaker 1: I don't think eleven for Neighbors. No, that would be six, I would think.
Speaker 2: Right, So.
Speaker 1: I also mean I also kind of wonder if they met with Neighbors and just asked him about Jane Daniels for an hour.
Speaker 2: It's possible, It's definitely possible. I came away from it thinking that Neighbors was the best player on the field in a pro day, So the take that for what it's worth, right. But I was at Day Flowers's pro day last year. This was different. This was absolutely different. And it wasn't just the athletic testing. It was the routes too. I think the one thing that really stands out with him is it's like it looks like he's running downhill because of how much momentum and just how much build up speed he has. I always when I watched him on film, I loved the sudden acceleration that he has, especially after the catch, but watching him run routes the other day, the thing that really stood out to me was how his build up speed and how he gained speed with the football in the air to track it down as well. And that's something that I think, you know, the pacing, the changing of gears, that type of stuff, that's how you separate at the next level. Brian Thomas Jr. This wasn't his showcase. He's a six foot four, four to three guy that's going to be a really, really good receiver at the next level. But Malik Nighbors was probably the best thing I saw on this entire trip. I mean, he was that good yesterday at the Pro day, he was fantastic. I'm not sitting I have no idea what that means for the Patriots. I think the one question I would ask you, and you touched on this a little bit earlier, how much of the production of Jaden Daniels Are you gonna sit there and are we talking about it like we talked about Mac Jones at Alabama three years where was yeah, you know, we there was things I like about him, but yeah, DeVante Smith, Jalen Waddley at YadA YadA, is Daniels at all falling into that trap for you as well?
Speaker 1: I don't think i'd not like mac Jones because he didn't. Mac Jones wasn't mac Jones didn't rush for eleven hundred yards that I don't care who your receivers are, you ran for eleven hundred yards. I do think there's an element of hey, he was throwing to these really great receivers, But again you look at like who wasn't once again, outside of Drake May, who wasn't. And I think you need to look at individually what the quarterback did independent of the guys he was throwing the ball to. Did Jamee Daniels get help? Yeah, He's probably doesn't win the Heisman without those two guys. Do I still believe he's a tremendously talented quarterback, Yes, I do. The numbers are certainly inflated a little bit. I don't think he's quite as good as maybe the LSU numbers suggest. But say the same thing about Michael Pennox, I can say the same thing about Kayleb Williams. I certainly said it about Bo Nicks. So I still think, you know, he's good, good touch on the deep ball right, that's before the ball gets the receiver. I think he's doing a good job of putting the ball where it needs to be. I think he does a good job of maneuvering in the pocket. Again, that's wide receivers. Aside already talked about the rushing ability, there's enough there that like, yeah, you give him the shot to see what he can do. And also, let's not forget again, the plan is not to draft him and put no receivers around him. The plan is to draft him and maybe year one he doesn't have great receivers. But get him his step On Diggs, get him his Tyreek Hill, get him his Justin Well. Cousins has been the lead for years. But you know what I'm saying, get him his Aj Brown. What all these teams did for their young quarterbacks. If you can get him a guy that can allow him to make some of those throws and give him some more room for error, he's certainly the kind of guy that can capitalize on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a good way of putting it with him, is that I don't think that he's a special thrower, but I will say he's a much better thrower than Lamar was coming out of college.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I don't think it's close.
Speaker 2: In terms of mechanics, footwork, accuracy, all those types of things. Lamar when he came out of college was still pretty raw as a passer. You know, he had to rework release and is throwing mechanics, He had to work on his footwork. There was a lot of elements.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that vented himself as a passer. And that's not a knock on Lamar, it's a credit to him. I mean he put the work in all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when two MVPs like that, not everybody can do that. Yeah. And Jayden Daniels is really Lamar Jackson walked. So though Jayden Daniels could run, right, because I think.
Speaker 1: Mark Jackson ran so Jade and Daniels could also run. I don't think Mark Jackson walked much.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, I think ten years ago. I think ten years ago, Jayden Daniels are you know, maybe maybe a little bit longer than that, but ten fifteen years ago, let's call it that. Jaden Daniels, I don't think that teams would have known what to do with Jayden Daniels. I think if you look back at Atlanta Michael Vick before you know, all the s hit the fan, right, I don't think that people really knew what to do with that yet. I think that he was winning those games and he was putting up those numbers on pure talent, forget about it, right, not because they had all these schemes, you know, the zone reads and the spread concepts and the empty concepts and all these things that allow these guys to just go out there and make plays. Now, they didn't. They weren't doing that with Michael Vick. They were putting Michael Vick in a pro style offense, and he was just running around and making things happen. I think now, you know, Jayden Daniels is coming into this league now where he is a much better pure thrower than Lamar Jackson was than Michael Vick was, because teams have learned how to use the skill set a little bit better, especially in college. We're not maybe all the way there in the pros yet, but I'd say especially in college, we are. And I think that's really encouraging if you're the team that ends up drafting him, is that he's coming into this with a much higher floor because of that, and that's why I think he's in the conversation for number two, number three overall, whereas Lamar Jackson didn't go until the end of the first round. So that's a big positive I think for Daniels, because I know it kind of probably sounds like I'm all in on May and kind of crapping on Daniels a little bit, and that's not my intention. I just I think with Daniels, you still go back to the consistency from the pocket and the ability to just win as a passer. But the thing that I am encouraged by is that he's much further along as a passer than other archetypes in his vein in the past.
Speaker 1: And the age the h Drake May's twenty one, Jane Daniels is twenty four. Like that's part. If Jane Daniels was twenty one, he'd be the second quarterback off the board. I don't think that would even be a question. But he's twenty four years old, he's further into his development physic you know, he's just fur the long he's when you signed to a second contract, he's going to be twenty eight. Drake May will be twenty six. It doesn't sound like a difference for NFL teams that are trying to make a long term investment. It is. I'm not saying that's right, but that's how it's viewed. So I think that that's another part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a fair point. What do you think about just before we wrap here, the LCU receivers, Neighbors Thomas, where do we think they go? I know a lot of people came out of that pro day yesterday when I was talking about those two guys and talking about neighbors, who I fully admit, hand up, I was. I was swooning over Neighbors yesterday.
Speaker 1: I mean, he was, so do you do you have him over Harrison?
Speaker 2: Then no, I don't, But I understand if that's the skill set that you want it it's just like a Jayden Daniels Drake May argument to me, where it's all about the type of guy that you want. Right. If you want a game breaking speed type of player that can take any level of throw for a second, third level throw and turn it into an eighty yard touchdown, then that's Moliku Neighbors. In a lot of ways, I've been trying to come up with the best comp for neighbors and it's it's tough. I've used Jalen Waddle in the past. I think there's some element of that. I think that there's some elements. He's a little bit bigger, but he's not that much bigger. He's like six feet one ninety I think is what he weighed in yesterday. So he did come in a little bit. I thought, yeah, it's possible. But so he's not a power player like Jamar Chase, to me, is a power player for his site.
Speaker 1: Not Yeah, he's not. Chase.
Speaker 2: Chase is much stronger and much stronger at the catch point? Is he a little is he a little Odell? Like?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think I don't think he has the flashes at the catch. He doesn't have the one handed catches and that kind of stuff, right.
Speaker 1: Like how often does he have to do that? How many opportunities did he have to do that?
Speaker 2: I see a little Odell.
Speaker 1: I think that's fair.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's just LSU another l I.
Speaker 1: Think Odell minus the Well, it's tough to say Odell minus the stuff at the catch point because that's like saying somebody's Mike Vic minus the speed. Like that's right, that's the whole thing, but very like, very explosive, very fluid mover. I've seen people compare him to Digs. You know what my comp is for Digs, Like, I don't think he's as well around as digs. Oh done, says my digs comp. I'm standing by that. It's one of my favorite comps I've come up with. Yeah, it's tough because it's just like how he's not He's not a gag He's definitely not a gadget player, but he's also not what I hall a technically sound receiver. He's just physically dominant.
Speaker 2: Is al is it?
Speaker 1: Is it like more vertical deep depot.
Speaker 2: But he's said but deepas two hundred and twenty five pounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that's the problem. He's bigger, he plays bigger than one ninety nine. Though I feel like maybe those that's the problem.
Speaker 2: That's the problem that I've had with comps with him is that he does his body type in terms of height and how he moves on the field. In terms of his speed, there is a little bit of Jamar Chase there, but Jamar Chase is a is a really strong player, Yeah, really strong and in the route at the catch point all those types of things. You know, he can really he does not get bumped off routes. He can play on the outside neighbors. I think at the next level is a slot Like is he slot type of player?
Speaker 1: Where he right, I'm just being weird. Now, is he like a Max dow Kendrick.
Speaker 3: Bourne's that's not terrible either, Like he's that's not terrible either, because he's one of those guys that I think, ideally, and this is why I think I started with Waddle is because ideally you want to keep him away from contact as much as possible.
Speaker 2: I'm not putting neighbors at the X and expecting him to have large exposures to press man and win consistently. In that respect, he'll run by some people because he's just that fast. But that's not the best way to use him. The best way to use him is in the slot, off the line of scrimmage, move them all around, bring him in motion, like all those types of things that that's the way I would use him. So in that respect, I kind of see a little bit of Odell, Like Odell was never appear X to me either. He was always one of those guys too that was they always we're moving him around and things. But the other thing is, you know, with Odell, that really got me thinking this was Odell could take that slant eighty yards to the house in his prime. Ll Odell had that after the catchability that Neighbors has, which I think is one of his best traits. I don't know how the Patriots get their hands on either of these guys. If Daniels is the pick, it would obviously be amazing to pair him with either either BTJ or Bleak Neighbors. Neighbors gonna be long off the board. I think Neighbors' floor is probably I mean, I look at you know, a team like the Chargers, a team like the Giants. If they don't go quarterback like that, he could go at six to the Giants easily, easily. So there's no way they could do that. BTJ. Maybe he falls to like the early twenties, just because of how deep this class is at wide receiver, all the quarterbacks that are going to go at the top of the draft. Maybe that's possible to trade up from thirty four to the early twenties. But I just don't see realistically how they get both of those two guys. They get they pairent right, they draft Jaden Daniels and then pair him with one of his receivers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that's probably Thomas all right.
Speaker 2: A couple of last things here that that was the pro day portion. I do want to talk a little bit when you go to these things, a little bit like training camp bart where you you start to look around and and try to observe things. What is your what are the guys do? What is Gerard and Mayo? Who's he talking to? Who's Elliott Wolf talking to? You know, those types of things. The one guy that I think stood out to me from both days that we need to figure out some more information on we're we're both we tried to dabble in journalism every once in a while and not just be be nerds about everything. Right. So Alonso Heismith and his role in all of this, I think is going to be really fascinating moving forward. Alonzo Heismith was the most popular guy at the two pro days. Over the last two days, not a single other person talk to more people inside LSU's practice facility or North Carolina's practice facility than a lots of Heismith. He works the room and on top of that, he just came from the college game. He has a lot of understanding of these guys. It wasn't just oh, I'm gonna go talk to this coach, I'm gonna go talk to that GM. I'm gonna go talk to this guy. He was talking to the players. These student athletes know him from the recruiting trip.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming, right, I think or maybe some of their parents remember him playing and there. I mean, he's third overall pick. He was a nobody in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, he he obviously has a relationship with a lot of these people on the college circuit. And there was that report that was out there that he was also going to help Elliott Wolf tweak the grading system and things like that as well. I think we're looking at a situation where Alonzo Highsmith is going to have a really, really big role in college scouting for the Patriots moving forward if this regime sticks. I have one other thought on that, but I just want to get your reaction to Alonzo Heighsmith.
Speaker 1: I like it, I said when they hired him. I like his background. I think he's worked with a lot of good teams. I like that he's a former player. I like that he has that insight. I think he's a good pairing for guys like Elliot Wolf and Matt Grow who have really just spent their entire career in the scouting room. High Smith has been at so many different level He's worked in college, he's worked in the pros, he played all that, so I would hope he's involved. I think when Ian Rapaport gave that report a month ago about that Elliot Wolf was going to final say, I think I remember him saying high Smith was essentially the number three in the front office. Is Wolf one, Grow to high Smith three. So you'd think that guy'd be pretty influential, But given where he comes from, you is just at Miami, it makes sense the most that influence would be on the amateur scouting side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just so you could just tell that that guy's got a personality. Just everybody seemed to really enjoy having talks with him. He was talking to Jaden Daniels for a little bit. It seemed like they knew each other from somewhere along the line, or maybe it's just one of those things. And I think there's a little bit of this with Girard Mayo too, where you were a formal player. So these guys just have respect for you for the fact that you were in the league. And Alonzo Heisman a third overall pick, Gerd Mayo high first round pick himself. So a lot of these guys I think are also a little bit starstruck to meet these people. It was the same way with Bill for different reasons, obviously, but it's it's I think that's the angle that they're coming at it now, is Oh snap, you know, that's that's Alonzo Heisman. You know he was great to all time great college player, third overall pick, that's Geron Mayo, top ten pick, super Bowl champion. I think stuff like that going on as well, that it's encouraging from a scotting standpoint for the Patriots or just from a you know, the fact that this new regime and all that type of stuff, we're taking a lot of heat. Bart I'm trying to, you know, tell people what's going on when you see these guys in the wild. The other thing I wanted to mention from this point of view, you mentioned Macro's name. I just I don't know what Macro's and this is pure speculation. I have no inside information. I don't know what Macro's role and this is after the draft. I just it seemed to me like, you know, this is Elliott wolf Hi Smith. I think Patrick Stewart, who I don't think a lot of people know very well. It's a senior personal executive with the Patriots is pretty involved. I would just be interested to see when we get from a month from now and the draft is over and the dust is settled, what is Macro's future with the New England Patriots.
Speaker 1: Maybe he's maybe he's just on to the next draft, and maybe they kept him because he had done all the work during the season under Belichick, he was ahead of the personnel department and that's why he's still here. He could absolutely be gone after the draft, but he just might be their lead draft guy now and he's going to do all the work, you know, up through the college football playoff and then kind of handed over to the guys upstairs once the offseason really kicks in a gear. That's what a director of college scouting would do. That was his old job before he got promoted, and we kind of think him and Elliott will flip flipped roles. So maybe he just goes back to that. Maybe he just takes the demotion, it's possible.
Speaker 2: I don't know where else he would go. There's no there's no real Belichick people for him to go latch on with. Maybe Dable in New York is the only other option, but that's a buffalo run operation with Joe Shoon.
Speaker 1: I don't know where else those are our wide receivers coach somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm looking, hang on, I'm looking.
Speaker 2: He was in d for a while, right.
Speaker 1: Oh, his brother's actually with the Giants.
Speaker 2: So maybe that's the connection. You know, maybe he goes in and gets a highlight ranking role under shown and Dable with the Giants. What did you say?
Speaker 1: It doesn't necessarily need to be high ranking.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't. But he's not going to go back and be an area scout. You know, he's going to be right, But I don't like.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's getting hired as an assistant GM.
Speaker 2: No. My guess is that he would probably go back to a scouting role of director of college scouting, something along those lines, back to back to college and back to where he started, which I think is good for him in a lot of ways. Honestly, I don't think that Macro, and I've enjoyed getting to talk to Macro a couple of times that that we've been able to and I think he's a nice guy and everything. But I think the one thing that that stood out to me is that he is maybe not meant to be a public facing figure in an organization. Certainly your station has gotten plenty of run out of that. If you want to draft fast guys, draft fast guys stuff. I just wonder if maybe Elliott wolf was was born to handle that type of stuff a little bit better. Just just my thoughts on it. I think Macro is at his best when he is on the scouting trail, when he's in the trenches, and when he's doing that type of stuff like he was at the Senior Bowl earlier this year, like he was to the last couple of days at these Pro days. I think that that's where Macro's sweet spot is and there's nothing wrong with that. It's like a great assistant coach like Dante Scarnekki. I'm not saying he's going to Bete Scarneki, but you understand, like not everybody's meant to be a head coach. Some people are just meant to be coordinators. Some people are just meant to be really good assistants, really good position coaches. Maybe Macro is just a really good offensive coordinator in the scouting world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but again, is there a chance you just drop back and does that here?
Speaker 2: Definitely possible. I do think it's got to be And again this is just coming from me, it's got to be awkward. Well, it would be awkward for anybody just in a in a normal type of career. If you get jumped by by your number two, that's a that's an awkward situation.
Speaker 1: I think any if you acknowledge you or maybe accelerated early.
Speaker 2: That's possible. That's possible. Any final thoughts on these protas, I know you're you're maybe a little bit more out on the protos. I think because I wish, you know, you could have been here with me. I feel like maybe you would have felt alive.
Speaker 1: I've never been a big PROTA guy. Yeah, if I was there, I'd probably played up a little more. But you know what, to your point, like, I think you got to be there to really experience it. And again, shorts in a T shirt against air Johnny Manziel had the right idea, at least he threw in pads. I'll give Drake Mason credit he had his coach simulating a rush on a couple of throws. I'll give Joe Milton credit he through outside. I really don't put a ton of talking prode is one way or the other. I think they're probably the most used, not that they're entirely useless, but I think if you know the showcase games, the combine, Pro Days, pre draft visits, those are the big landmark periods of the pre draft process. I think Pro Day's ranks well towards the bottom in terms of what you get out of them.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, I agree with you, and I think that the next big steps in this process the thirty visits, the private workouts. The Patriots I'm sure will have those with all the quarterbacks, whether they're here, should say in Foxborough or are there?
Speaker 1: Male said they plan on having May Daniels and McCarthy visit. Although you can't do it on you can't do on field work at the top thirty, right, it's only medical workout and meetings.
Speaker 2: Right. I believe that's true. I always get this one confused. I'm not gonna lie to you. They definitely will have private throwing sessions with these guys. Whether those are on campus or in Foxborough, I'm not really sure about those details. But that's that's really where it's more important, I would say, than these pro days. And that's why they're behind closed doors, because what will happen is is that a VP will get with these guys. He'll put together a script of their plays, right, and their types of throws and their types of reads, and then go ahead and ask those guys to run through. All right, we're running this concept. I just taught you this concept in the classroom. Now we're bringing it out on the field. Show me that you remember the progression, Show me that you remember where you're going with them, all right? That those things I think are what the teams are emphasizing as the most important thing these pro days. I agree with you, they're a little bit of a spectacle. It was really fun to go to them and see it. I thought it was well wor date from our standpoint, from a content standpoint, but that's really what it is. It's a way to get these programs some limelight, which I think is funny because does LSU need any more of a spotlight as like a as a blue blood football program.
Speaker 1: But for recruits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for whatever reason, it's it works for these schools to have these recruits. And today at UNC. I didn't notice it as much at LSU, but I'm sure it happened at LSU today yesterday as well today at U and C there was a ton of alumni. Michael Carter was there.
Speaker 1: Like that at LSU yesterday too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was rumors everywhere. Yeah. Sam Howell, who's really good friends with Drake may I believe I was in the building as well here at U n C uh So we'll see. But the bottom line, the takeaway I can wrap it up on this. I think all three of these quarterbacks are in play for them, Barth. I think JJ McCarthy is in play for them as well. And I think it's going to be a really a secret to the finish, as it always is, but the commanders control it. But I would say that the biggest takeaway I have is that Drake may, J and Daniels are not alone. I know that that both of us might not agree with that, but JJ McCarthy is somebody that is in the conversation here as well.
Speaker 1: I mean it sounds like he is. I'll say he is, because it's our job to say what we think is going to happen, not what we want to happen. But I still don't fully understand why he is.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, all right. That does it for this episode. I gotta say, Alex say, I'm like a little bit out of practice with doing this like this.
Speaker 1: It definitely feels weird.
Speaker 2: I feel like I was stumbling through that whole thing. So hopefully we got all the information across that we wanted to and next week we'll be back in studio and we'll do it the new way, the better way, I should say, because man, we need we need the listeners, we need the calls, we need the emails. It was just us just talking against the wall. I didn't like that as much. So I'm excited to get back into studio. But before we sign off, a couple more shout outs. Hey Patriots fans, if you want to see Toyota's best offers, including those not on CTV not seen on TV, go to buy Tyota dot com. It's Tyota's official website for deals from the official vehicle of the New England Patriots. Tyota. Let's go places like going back to Boston, which I'll be doing tomorrow. I drove a RAB four in in Baton Rouge Bar. Really nice, nice car. Right, Yeah, it wasn't bad. It was a new one. I liked it. The other shout out we got to do is our friends at DraftKings. Whether you're in the game or betting on the game, we need a game plan. Draftking sports Book, the official sports betting partner of the New England Patriots, provides you with everything you need to build your personal bet game plans so you can get it on all the action while practicing safe bets. Visit DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming to learn more about all the safe betting tools DraftKings has to offer. Hope is here eight hundred three two seven five oh five oh or gambling Helplinema dot org must be twenty one plus play it smart from the start game since MA dot com basically President Massachusetts. See DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming for details and state specific responsible game gambling resource. Barth Big. A lot of talk on campus today about the tar Heels basketball team, Big big sweet sixteen game tonight for them. That was the conversation going around, so DraftKings.
Speaker 1: Are you going to be there for the game? Are you flying out tonight or tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Tomorrow? So I guess technically I will be.
Speaker 1: Obviously, Dude, you gotta go to like you gotta go out somewhere and experience it. That's it. That's a big time college sports environment. Oh, I just got so jeous. Not that I wasn't plate. I just got so jealous. You plete promise me for me, you'll go somewhere and actually, like UNC in a sweet sixteen game. You're on campus, that's gonna be electric. Get out there and enjoy it.
Speaker 2: I will, I will. I'll try to get out and enjoy it. I have been up since four point thirty this morning to get here on time, so I don't know how much longer I'm going to last. And that might be part of the reason why I couldn't think straight for this entire podcast.
Speaker 1: You got four hours till the game. Take a nap, all.
Speaker 2: Right, I'll take a nap, all right. Well, I'll see you. I'll see you back in Foxborough next week.
Speaker 1: Alex and I.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to you guys, and we'll get back in the studio next Thursday, same time as usual. But until then. Signing off for Alex Barth, I'm Evan Lazar. Thanks for listening everybody, and we'll see you guys next week.
Speaker 4: Thank you for downloading this podcast, Subscribe on Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, Please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high on the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.
Speaker 1: The worlds of Virginal Podcasts