Speaker 1: Consumed is a production of iHeart Podcasts and Grimm and Mild from Aaron Maky. Headphones Recommended listener discretion advised.
Speaker 2: Hello, yeah, yeah, thank thanks. I'll be right out. Eight hundred dollars piece of tech and you can't do the one thing you were meant to do communicate, So we'll use what you got and test test one two.
Speaker 3: Communicate. So we'll use what you got and test test one two.
Speaker 4: The bat.
Speaker 2: That's the library, yep.
Speaker 4: Used to be a church back in the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 5: Church.
Speaker 2: What happened books? I guess Progressive Danville.
Speaker 4: That's West Danville.
Speaker 2: Oh, so they have internet?
Speaker 4: Get out?
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, we'll see you for dinner, and if Buster comes back with any updates, I'll come find you.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, I'll probably still be trying to dial up in there every book in the world in the palm of my hand, but with no signal. This is just a microphone. Damn. This is fancy and also empty. Hello. Yeah, I don't think anybodys fuck what God damn it shit former church right, sorry, God, Christ, Jesus.
Speaker 5: The Holy Treney Fuck. I think you're just taking yourself deeper.
Speaker 7: The hi Hi oh Sorry, this feels like a weird rom compick. I am the curator of the Anderson Oh.
Speaker 2: I mean, doesn't you being the curator make it even more rom coming.
Speaker 7: Only if you're here to buy the building and replace it with an unaffordable high rise.
Speaker 2: Will it have internet?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: We already have internet?
Speaker 2: Is a dial up?
Speaker 3: I mean?
Speaker 5: What's the hurry?
Speaker 2: Smooth?
Speaker 5: Gordon Morales like you. I am not originally from.
Speaker 2: Here, Sarah Simmons. We gave it away.
Speaker 5: Oh we won't have that phone model for another ten years.
Speaker 2: Oh so I'm from the future.
Speaker 5: Or Boston, same thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is stunning. Was this originally the Knave?
Speaker 5: Yes, I see, you've done your homework.
Speaker 7: Originally a Jesuit missionary camp and then a house of warship built during the Second Great Awakening. This was the home of the New Hampshire sect of Old School Puritans.
Speaker 2: Ah, the ones that escape religious persecution but didn't tolerate any other religions once they got here.
Speaker 7: Didn't she says, as if that's not still what makes the world go round?
Speaker 2: Oh my, is that what I heard?
Speaker 5: Unfortunately I hear it.
Speaker 2: Let me help.
Speaker 5: In trying to organize the shelves.
Speaker 7: I managed to top a three hundred years of European history with one loose bolt.
Speaker 2: Impressive. So many have tried and all have failed.
Speaker 5: I'll organize these colonizers later.
Speaker 2: Are you the only one here?
Speaker 7: You, my new city friend, are looking at not only the curator of the Anderson Memorial Library.
Speaker 5: No, but also the chief technology officer, the.
Speaker 7: Historian, leech helf soccer, and head CASTOLDI super intended.
Speaker 5: So it's just you in a few high school interns.
Speaker 2: Head custodial, superintended, Chief tech.
Speaker 5: We have one computer and it's right over there. And yes, it is a dial up.
Speaker 7: Did I just hurt your resume, torpedo, just like I did to that pile of European history books?
Speaker 2: All right, Casanova, I got to email some folks back home. How does one dial up anymore?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 5: It's really easy. You just load up your ice p. In our case, it's America on user location and the.
Speaker 2: Hush, what what's going on?
Speaker 5: Whatever it is? That's our entire emergency force on the way somewhere.
Speaker 2: Question is will you take me there?
Speaker 8: Can?
Speaker 7: I say?
Speaker 5: No? Are you recording?
Speaker 2: No? And yes, Olbert, are you there?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I'm back easy out here?
Speaker 5: Anyone else there everyone's.
Speaker 9: Here, practically the whole town.
Speaker 6: They're saying, there's a body in the woods.
Speaker 9: Okay, fine, just keep the crowd calm and steal.
Speaker 5: Off the area.
Speaker 2: Steal it off with what mac.
Speaker 9: Just keep the crowd away and we'll order some barcaide tape that I will strangle you with.
Speaker 5: Sound good, you got it?
Speaker 7: Boss, Here you.
Speaker 5: Go, dear, we'll get you home soon enough. Albert, did you call mister and missus Crawford.
Speaker 2: Yes, ma'am, they'll be here soon and this will all be over with.
Speaker 9: We do need you to try to tell us what you saw.
Speaker 8: So you know we have nationals coming up. Sure sure for track, yes, cross country.
Speaker 9: Sure, track outside, got it.
Speaker 2: They're very different.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 8: So I was doing my sunrise durance training twelve miles round.
Speaker 9: You run twelve miles every day at sunrise.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not crazy.
Speaker 8: I take Sundays off. So I was nearing my firepoint before circling back up the river. That's when I heard it haired eight.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 8: Something in the woods was moving. First, I don't know. I thought it was a squirrel or a chipmunk, but the crunching of the ground was too much for something that small.
Speaker 9: Could I have been a bulbcat, a fox?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 8: All I know is that when I saw something run off, I thought I heard someone gasp.
Speaker 4: It's okay.
Speaker 9: Immediately I'm sure it was a critter scuddying off.
Speaker 8: But that's when I saw it.
Speaker 2: The caddyon whatever that is, I don't know.
Speaker 8: I saw human teeth, an entire side of a jawbone sticking out of those slabs of hush.
Speaker 5: Sure, sure, it's okay.
Speaker 8: So I ran to the station. An officer, Albert brought me back here.
Speaker 5: And you didn't tell anyone else.
Speaker 8: I tried to post about it, since I didn't know what to do, but it didn't even go through.
Speaker 5: Lucky for you that it wasn't posted or else. See those people.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there would be three times as many onlookers. And how many onlookers is too many?
Speaker 3: Many?
Speaker 2: Lee, I don't know. One one is too many?
Speaker 8: As far as I'm.
Speaker 9: Sheriff, wait here with Albert for a second, love.
Speaker 2: Jariff, what happened to Mary?
Speaker 4: Can we go look?
Speaker 9: Sharon Fox Tanner, Greg Brendan, Michelle. If you'll bear with us for a little bit longer, we'll have some answers. Excuse me, I don't seem to recognize you.
Speaker 2: That's because I'm not from here.
Speaker 9: That's interesting because this is a possible crime scene and you're the only non local here. So unless you're friends with that young woman over there, we need to have a talk about where you're from and why you are here.
Speaker 5: Hey. Sorry, I was chatting with Tanner. Yes, she's with me. I'm what she's with you? Yes, sorry, Sheriff Max and Allen.
Speaker 7: This is Sarah Simmons from Boston's Institute for Wildlife Research and Holistic Preservation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, holistic? What is she? A reporter?
Speaker 2: She is right here and she can answer for herself. Thanks, Gordon. Hi, I'm Sarah Simmons. I'm a creative journalist from Boston, and while not technically unemployed reporter, I am a journalist and I'm here because every siren in your village race passed us while we were at the library. Care to say anything on the record?
Speaker 9: There is no record and there's nothing to comment on.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 7: That's so weird because Olbert was telling Tanner and Greg before we all arrived that Alfonso over at.
Speaker 5: The diner was report missing around four this morning.
Speaker 9: All Right, put that device away, Sarah. I don't know what that is down there, and I won't comment till forensics from Bloomington arrive. But my money a moose got into it with a gray Fox and one Alfonso has been known to pop on down to Mohigan every now and then, and his mom is special, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Right, everyone, I'm going to need you all to go home. Mary Lee's folks are here, and you should all go comfort her and her family in the privacy of their house.
Speaker 2: If anything comes.
Speaker 9: To light for us, you will all be the first to know.
Speaker 5: Albert all right, gang show's over? Pack it up? How's the interneting going?
Speaker 2: This style up is so slow? I'm considering Pony Express.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, at least we have fresh air.
Speaker 2: You're a glass half full kind of guy, aren't you.
Speaker 5: I have no choice?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: Bye?
Speaker 2: Gordon Gordon?
Speaker 7: Ah, Yes, how did you get the name Gordon if you don't look like a Gordon?
Speaker 2: I mean maybe your folks were fans of Gordon Ramsey. Nope, race car driver legend, Jeff Gordon.
Speaker 5: Football Leae baseball only household flash.
Speaker 2: You know I tried using that ones and what happened.
Speaker 5: I went home alone.
Speaker 2: Okay, I give up. Tell me that's your name, Vicente?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Vincent in Espanol.
Speaker 2: That's a great name.
Speaker 5: Oh, I know, but.
Speaker 7: My entire family and friends growing up didn't care because since I was a full figured they called me Gordo.
Speaker 2: Gordo.
Speaker 7: It's one of those reverse endeering Spanish nicknames that is extremely painful, but hidden under the guy said.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a cute, adorable pet name.
Speaker 4: How cute.
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: I think I caught pretty in there.
Speaker 5: That's all you need.
Speaker 2: But wait, so you hated grdo but kept it and made it.
Speaker 7: Assimilation is a hell of a drug, Miss Simmons. Ooh, the first hit is when people smile and laugh at it, and then you try and make it to your own because you're so hooked on your own supply that you make the regretful decision when applying to.
Speaker 5: College to make Gordon your name.
Speaker 7: Felve years later, here we are trying to help a pretty city lady online in a two hundred year old church turn library.
Speaker 2: You mean, Linda, right.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe once we.
Speaker 2: Where was that?
Speaker 5: No idea?
Speaker 2: It's definitely not you fixing some shells.
Speaker 7: Come with me, Sarah Jack so Bruner Gordon, he gave it us quite a scare.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry. The door was open, but the lights were off and I damn near broke my neck tripping over a huge pile of books on the floor.
Speaker 2: That's the fall of Europe. I'm sorry, never mind, I suppose you're here to pick me up.
Speaker 4: Was headed back to the house and figured you'd be done by now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, Gordon VI Sente, Thank you so much, No.
Speaker 5: Problem, Miss Simmons. So I'll keep trying to get this up and running.
Speaker 7: You do that, and if you need anything, I'm also the lead tenant though you live here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, beat you to your high rise spot.
Speaker 2: That's the sequel. See you next.
Speaker 5: Time, counting on it.
Speaker 4: You've got mail.
Speaker 2: Hey, Reema. Jack told me to tell you he was headed to check on the Crawfords. Sarah.
Speaker 5: I wanted to apologize.
Speaker 2: Oh it's okay, No, it wasn't. And truly, with everything happening, the news from the diner, I shouldn't have been so cold. Really, don't worry about it. Jack mentioned about your son, and you know, raising teens. You couldn't pay me enough. Oh he told you that.
Speaker 8: With Avery, he's been having a tough time making friends totally.
Speaker 2: Hey, I wasn't able to get in touch with my sister. Would it be cool if I for.
Speaker 8: Sure be my guest.
Speaker 2: Just try the phone in the living room. Does that one have buttons? Yes? It does.
Speaker 3: Hi, you've reached.
Speaker 8: If I can't come the phone, what the.
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 3: You've read it?
Speaker 2: The fuck? Is everything? Okay? Sorry? Yes, it's my sister's phone. Is It's fine? Hey, listen, I think I'm going to walk back into town. I could really use a walk an the internet at this hour. I mean it's not even three pm.
Speaker 8: The sunset, it's early nowadays, and you know the diner fellow news.
Speaker 2: Sheriff says he's probably out gambling. You met the sheriff, Sheriff Allen. Yeah, I think she hates me.
Speaker 8: All right, Well, if you could just let us avery?
Speaker 5: Is that you? Yes?
Speaker 2: Mother? Where were you? I'm sorry?
Speaker 8: Yes, Just stay on Colton Run trail for about three miles and it'll run you right into the town center.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much. That's weird. Hello, my fellow lean da Zelindos after a weird morning. More on that later. We've come back to the old town center at let's say, two forty three in the afternoon. After a brisk three mile walk through the creeks and valleys of this one turned the library town and it looks like most of the stores have closed.
Speaker 3: For the day.
Speaker 2: Let's see if this convenience store is nope, does anything.
Speaker 4: Open, ma'am?
Speaker 5: Can I see some?
Speaker 2: I d oh, Gordon, You've got to stop sneaking up on me like that. I'd laugh, but I think I have a light cramp from speed walking.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm so sorry. Also, why are you speedwalking?
Speaker 2: The Breweders think I need to be back home by four pm? Where the darkness is going to end me?
Speaker 7: Classic Bruders, right, they should have chosen the Brightsiders as a better last name.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's not bad. This is what should I call you?
Speaker 5: Are you recording?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, it's my audio journal thing?
Speaker 7: No no, no, no worries Gordon iss sign And it's almost three. Don't you need to turn around and head back?
Speaker 2: I was hoping to try the internet one more time. Did it work at all last time?
Speaker 5: Well? So you can see everything is literally.
Speaker 7: Close and I get pretty much all my meals from Shawls and they're going to close it four.
Speaker 5: So if you'll suffer through a local greasy spooon meal. Can we try again right after?
Speaker 2: That sounds lovely?
Speaker 6: That's four den Brahmins and three French toasts. Sorry, I meant three and four coming right up?
Speaker 2: So people think it's him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so he's the owner.
Speaker 7: But apparently, and this is the rumor, he really yelled at Fonso the cook and basically that you and me.
Speaker 2: Of the restaurant, overworked and barely paid exactly, So he's not down at Foxwoods or Mohegan.
Speaker 7: Fonso doesn't have a car. He has an electric scooter that never left the restaurant.
Speaker 2: Who told you all this? Never mind it was Albert.
Speaker 5: Dude is basically the town crier.
Speaker 2: It's so weird. Look at him.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, let me get that. And yes, that's that's coming right up. Oh, you said decaf.
Speaker 2: So he can't tie his shoes without help? How is he going to kill the only person that keeps his business running?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 5: Have you ever listened to a single true crime podcast?
Speaker 2: I mean they're all the same, aren't they.
Speaker 5: Oh, Miss Simmons, is this where.
Speaker 2: You man's playing to me? The world of podcasts? Oh would never yield keeper of the books with no Internet? I think you'd never heard of one.
Speaker 7: The beauty about them is that when you drive to Luomington or on good signal days, they all get downloaded right to.
Speaker 5: Your phone or a computer.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: So anyway, I'm just saying people can let their psychopathic or sociopathic tendencies take.
Speaker 5: Over just a snap.
Speaker 2: Ah, Now a man's planning mental health.
Speaker 5: Wow, I'm serious. Look at Sean. Okay, Duo looks like the only person that ever said no to him was his mom when he asked if he was ugly.
Speaker 2: I think we're being a little superficial.
Speaker 5: Oh, come on, tell me I'm wrong, tell me I'm roon.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's definitely not a looker.
Speaker 5: Oh snip let's.
Speaker 2: Chair and Albert, they got to be here for sew.
Speaker 5: Gordon evening sureff twice in one day.
Speaker 9: What a pleasure, Miss Simmons, if you wouldn't mind coming down to the station.
Speaker 2: What guys, I'm sorry, Why is his hand on his gun?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 7: Why don't we all just relax a little bit and take a protocol?
Speaker 9: Albert, will you escort to mister Morale's outside?
Speaker 5: Mister Morales, fine, fine, I'll.
Speaker 2: Go fine, Okay, do I have to is that protocol?
Speaker 9: You don't have to while I'm still asking, but if I arrest you, it means I've stopped asking.
Speaker 1: Consumed Episode two Curator, written by Carlos Folia, editing and sound design by Rima Ilkali, Starring Rachel Rosenbloom and Arturo Castro, with Ruth Connell, Sam Rai, Genevieve Padilaki, Benjamin Stockholm, Charlie, David Newell, Mike Korich, Anna East Fairweather, Junior, Alabby, Alma Martinez, Tracy Martin, Laura Shine, George Vincent and Rafael Corkill. Directed by Alexander Williams, Assistant director Trevor Young, Casting by Sunday Bowling CSA and Meg Mormon CSA. Production coordinator Wayna Calderon. Music by Carlos Folio Consumed the season one score available now on Apple Music, Spotify or Wherever music eSTREAM. Executive producers Aaron Mankey, Carlos Folia, Matt Frederick and Alexander Williams. Supervising producers Trevor Young and Josh Thain. Producers Noami Griffin, Jesse Funk, and Rima Ilkeali. Recorded at This Is Sound Design Studios, Burbank, California. Engineered by Ross Erroneout east Side Studios, Austin, Texas, engineered by Austin Sisler and Aras Creative and Sound Ohi, California, engineered by Ken Aros. Consumed was created by Carlos Folia, inspired by the novel by Aaron Mankee. Consumed is the newest chapter in the Bridgewater universe. To learn more and catch up, visit Grimandmild dot com Slash Bridgewater. Learn more about Consumed at grimanmil dot com, slash Consumed, and find more podcasts from iHeartRadio by visiting the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.