Speaker 1: Welcome to Is this a great game or what? And our special guest this week is my friend Jim Boden, former general manager of the Reds and the Nationals, and now is a media star. He writes, he does television, he does radio, He's everywhere. He works for a million different companies. He's got more hits than Ty Cobb during the course of a season. Jim, welcome in. This is my son, Jeff.
Speaker 2: Jeff, Tim greet me with you. I think I have more misses than hits, but thank you for the introduction. It's certainly not a star, but you know what, I'll take every compliment you want to throw my way.
Speaker 1: So, Jim, we had Steve Phillips on this time last year, and we want He did what we want you to do, and that's put us in the room of a general manager on this the trade deadline day and all the days around it. But Steve Phillips, he told us last year that you would occasionally call him at like three o'clock in the morning and wake him up with a trade.
Speaker 3: Even though the trade didn't even involve your team.
Speaker 1: You would say, Steve, I got the perfect trade. Is that true? Is he telling the truth? No?
Speaker 2: He's exaggerating like he always does. But yeah, did I call him at three in the morning, that is true. Did I try to sell him on a player that couldn't play? Absolutely I did, so, you know, look, some of his stories are true, some of them are certainly exaggerated, but yeah, I had a lot of fun. And I can't take you in the room with other gms, but I certainly can take you back. I was at seventeen trade deadlines as a general manager, and I could certainly take you into what it was like in my boardroom.
Speaker 4: Well, we definitely want to hear that with today being the trade deadline, but it's worth noting too. You're also the host of GM Territory, all a part of the same family that we are a part of here at the Foul Territory Network, and you host the show with your son, and here we are. We thought we were doing something pretty inventive, but clearly not.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I just followed in your footsteps, right. I was so happy when I heard that the two of you were doing a show that always stayed in my mind. And then my son Trey, you know, got married, had a child, had some free time, wanted to dabble in this, and I said, well, let's give it a try, let's do it. So we're having a lot of fun doing it. But certainly you guys were the Trailblazers, and I love the father son combination. You know, I'm a big family person, as you guys know, so having opportunity to work with my son, there's absolutely nothing like it.
Speaker 1: Jim, is this your first grandchild.
Speaker 2: I have two grandsons, yeah, Casey Boden, and they're both baseball names, Mickey Boden and Casey Boden. Right now, they're the one two hitters. We are expecting a full team by the time it's done. Remember I had sons, so we are expecting to build an entire lineup. I only got a basketball team with five sons. I'm expecting my sons to come through with an entire lineup. I think we'll be able to do it, and all we'll have baseball names of some sort.
Speaker 1: Right Casey and Mickey obviously, that's Casey Stagle and Mickey Mantle. Is that true?
Speaker 2: Well, Sean Casey actually, because my son, yes, of course, was growing up when I traded for Sean Casey, who was certainly a fan favorite of my family, a very close to our family. We love, we love Sean, so that that was there. And of course Mickey Mantle, no doubt about it, a superstar that could do everything. And Trey obviously wore Mickey Mantle's number two, so that that's where Mickey came from.
Speaker 1: Jim, what is your grandfather name? What do they call you or are they too young to call you by a grandfather name?
Speaker 2: So far? Well, I was I was g G Daddy at one point, but because if he did his arrest, I said, we got to change that. So now it's more likely ran Poppito, grand Papito.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: That seems to be it right now. I could change, though it's subject to change to me. I.
Speaker 1: Jim, take us back to that first year as a general manager, your first trade deadline. We all recognize the pressure that you have told me before. This is when general managers earn all their money. Right now, are we in? Are we out? What was that first one like for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So my first one. I really don't want to bring back that memory, to be honest, Tim, and I'm very it's very unfortunate you had to bring that up. I mean, this was a situation where he finished in fifth place twenty three games out. I traded Tony Perez, fired Tony Perez forty four games into the season. The entire city wanted me fired. My owners said win or you will never GM again in your career. I'd rather not talk about that one, but I do like talking about the ones in ninety four and even more importantly nineteen ninety five. So let's fast forward two years. Okay, let's get to my third Winter Meetings, because that was my favorite one in my entire career. So I had a really good baseball team that had a chance to win. I knew it. But I was two starting pitchers away from making the playoffs and having a run. And I knew that. And so I was working extremely hard on a trade to try to get David Cohne from the Toronto Blue Jays. And I was working hard. I was having conversations with Pat Gillick at the time. In the meantime, I was also talking to the Trait Tigers about David Wells. I was talking to the White Sox about Jim Abbott. And so those are the three names I was trying to get to. My owner at the time was Marge shot, So I went down and missed a shot, and I told her I have three opportunities. Now understand, she'd never wanted to spend money on anything, including players, so it was always difficult to get her to approve any acquisition of any player that made any kind of money. So I explained to her at the time, David Cone was the most expensive, Jim Abbott was the cheapest of the three, David Wells was kind of in the middle. One was making five point nine, one was making three point one, one was making two and a half million, And so I was hoping to sell her on the one in the middle, David well. So I said, look, David Cone is the best starting pitcher out there. There's no doubt about it. He's the guy that I want. Jim Abbott only has one arm. I don't think that's going to work in the National League because we don't have the dhal like the American League has. And David Wells is in the middle. So that's the three choices we have. And so I was hoping that she was going to look and say, well, Jim Abbott really isn't a fit, and Cone's too expensive, so get the guy that's two million dollars cheaper. And she looked at me and she said, go get David Cone. My heart went so fast, my hands sweat. I couldn't believe it. I sprinted out of her office as fast as I possibly could. By the time I got back to the phone and called Pat Gillick, his owner Paul Beeston, had already done the deal with George Steinbrenner. Cohane was going to the Yankees, so I quickly pick up the phone. I called it a Trey Tigers. I'm able to work out the deal with David Wells, but we can't quite agree. Now. I'm giving him my first round pick C. J. Nikowski from the year before. That didn't get it done for him. I needed another piece.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I had to make this deal. So back then there was a rule that I could trade a player name later that was on my roster, so I agreed to add Mark Lewis, a third baseman of the deal as a player to be name later. However, because of that trade, they later changed the rule and you could no longer trade a player off that major league roster. I ended up getting David Wells. Well here comes the best part. The best part was ten days later I got two more starting pitchers. I ended up trading Dion Sanders to the San Francisco Giants for Mark Portugal and David Berba. So I basically got David Wells, Mark Portugal and David Berber within a ten day period. We not only won the division, won the Division Series. We swept the Dodgers at Dodgers Stadium, and then we went and played the Atlanta Braves in the NLCS because of that trade deadline. I'll let me take you behind the scenes with the trade with the Giants to get Portugal and Burber. I did the deal directly with the owner, Peter McGowan, and he calls me up at one thirty in the morning. My time, ten thirty is time, and he wants Dion Sanders in the worst way. And I said, look, I can't trade Dion Sanders unless you want to give me a gold glove center fielder back, which he had Darren Lewis. So he said, okay, I'll give you Darren Lewis. I said, okay, well, if you give me Portugal and Burba, two guys that can go in my rotation and Darren Lewis, I'll give you Dion Sanders, and he said, well, that's just an overpay. And you know, how am I going to tell my fan base? I gave up three for one, and I said, well, we'll go throw more guys in there. What else do you want? So you know, he started asking me for all these prospects. I said, I can't trade any of those. It's hard enough to trade Dion as it is. He's a good friend of mine. I mean, I can't the speed, and he's got the excitement, the tickets he's gonna sell. I can't do that. So I said, but look, go get your your media, get your stat guys, to get your stats, and let me throw some names at you. So I started throwing anyone in my farm system that had good statistics that couldn't play. So you can have Ricky Pickett, you can have you can have McCarthy. So I started throwing all these names of guys that were putting up good numbers but couldn't play. They were never gonna fit in. Scott's service had a good slider throwing reliever. So all of a sudden, I ended up throwing him five or six names and we got the deal done. So that was one of my favorite trade deadlines.
Speaker 1: You guys, Jim, did you ever deal with another owner? Or is Peter McGowan the only owner that ever called you and said I'm overseeing the general manag here and going straight to you.
Speaker 2: Oh there were more baby, Peter Angelo's small memorials. That's how I got Ron Gooseman baby. Oh yeah, and I got the deal was nixed by John Allen, and so then we had to leak a story to Peter Gammons, who was then working at ESPN, to get the word out that John Allen had nix my deal for Wan Goozman. This was the year before, by the way, in nineteen ninety four. I need another starter then too, he knicks the deal because of the money. Well, the owner didn't know that the president had nixed the deals, so Peter Gammons leaked that the deal was nicks. The owner found out by watching ESPN called me up and said is this true? And I said, I thought you knew it got nixt. He said, well, you go ahead and make the friggin deal. So I ended up calling it and Peter Angelos then wanted another left handed pitcher in there, and we threw the lefty in which by the way, came back to haunt me. It was a mistake before he ended up being a good picture. But I got the guy that I needed with Juan Goozman at the time. But that doesn't happen if the Orioles owner, Peter Angelo's doesn't get involved, and if my owner doesn't get involved ahead of my president.
Speaker 5: This is that time of year, aj It is Baseball's time to shine, and it is sea Geek's time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing, seating and games that are even sold out available on sea geek.
Speaker 6: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees Cubs coming up. Where's Yankees Red Sox? That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the penachases really heat up. Go to c can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best look. Green dot means very good code for you. It's territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at skeek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: Those of ridiculous stories, but every general manager has them. And again, Steve Phillips told us last year that he made a trade for mel Rojas one year. I can't remember all the details, but it was such a dislike trade that he got death threats and.
Speaker 3: He needed a police escort because he had acquired mel Rojas. How is that possible, jib, don't tell me that you ever got a death threat for a trade that you made.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I got death threat obviously when the firing of Hall of Famer Tony Perez, which wasn't completely all my doing, but I'm the GM at the time, so I got the hit because my owner was suspended at the time. But I got death threats sure. Yeah. Major League Baseball got involved. We had police cars sitting outside of my office, police in my box during the games, which I didn't want police officers at my home. Yeah, death threats for sure. Yeah, that's all part of the gig. You want to be a public figure, You want to be a GM. As soon as you do something unpopular and you make a bad trade or you want to fire someone, they like, oh boy, no, no no. And they don't just threaten you, they threaten your family, which is the worst part. And then you know, look, that was in an era where the social networking isn't what it is today. The game has changed a lot since then. But yeah, they were definitely. The example that Steve Phillips was giving you was not just a New York thing. It happened in small markets too.
Speaker 4: Now, Jim, did you ever have around the trade deadline? I don't want to say, like a superstition or a tradition, like you always ate a peanut butter and jelly on the trade deadline, or you ate the same dinner because you know you're going to be kind of there all day the next day. Was there any part of you that was superstitious or wanted to repeat or you're always taking the calls from your office or from home. Was there anything like that for you?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not going to say there was any superstitious, but I mean, you know, I took a pillow and to work because you know, I wasn't planning on going home. Look, when you get to the trade deadline, it's twenty four to seven. So most of the time, instead of being in my office, I would spend in the war room and we would have all of the magnetic boards or the whiteboards that were up there. I always liked being visual. So whatever we were targeting, whether it be a starting pitcher, reliever, right hand bat, left hand bat, shortstop, whatever it was, you know, we would have on the board our targets of who we want to trade for, prioritized in the ranking. In order. We'd also have all of the other twenty nine teams listed with what they've offered, what we want from them, how a deal would work. You keep going down the rankings, and let's just say I needed a shortstop, and let's just say there were seven short stops we were targeting. We would rank them one to seven, and I would have discussions with all seven teams and see who they liked in our organization and then try to filter through of the seven teams, could there be a fit. Maybe two of the seven could be a fit. So those would be the two teams that we would work the trades on the hardest for that, and then we'd go to the outfield ranking same thing, starters, the same thing, and then would grind and then then there would be the obsession of you know, a particular player, that I really want this guy, and then there would just be a lot of conversations, exchanging names and Yeah, I would never give up. I would never quit. When someone told me can't, I thought that meant Ken. When someone said no, I thought that meant yes. And I would annoy people. I would annoy Gee. I was annoying. I remember what he wouldward saying, Jim, stop calling on Ken Griffy Jr. You will never get Ken Griffy Junior. They will have to fire me before you get Ken Griffy Junior. Stop calling. I'd call every single week. Why he's still calling? Well, he was right. He had to get fired before I traded for Ken Griffy Junior. Pat Gillick ended up being the guy trading me Ken Griffy Junior.
Speaker 1: And Jim I think you were saying at the time it was like acquiring Michael Jordan. Tell us what it was like to get Ken Griffy Junior and bring him to Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Nothing like it in my life, Tim I mean early I highlighted my career was that particular trade. It was just a game changer because of the lives that affected in Cincinnati. I mean that to see what that trade did to the fans, to the children, to the kids at Children's Hospital that were in pain. When you bring Ken Griffy Junior into Cincinnati, you know, he was the Lebron James and the Michael Jordan at baseball at the time we made the trade. I mean, he had just finished, you know, really successful years with Seattle. He was in the prime of his career when we acquired him, and so be able to get him and bring him in on a team. Remember that the team that when I traded for him had just won ninety six games. We ended up losing Game one sixty three that year. That was the year I was named Executive of the Year by Baseball America and I traded for Griffy, and you know, I was like, I didn't have to pay for a dinner in the city of Cincinnati. In fact, Jeff Ruby's restaurants had the boat in Nick's Grill on the menu. That's how great things were that particular when I traded for Griffy. I mean, I want you to picture this. You know we had it, We thought we had a deal done. We're landing at the Winter Meetings, which that year was in Anaheim, California, right right right near Disneyland, matter of fact, So we land and I knew what it would take to acquire Griffy. When I flew to Anaheim, it was to close the deal that I already knew I could make. When I landed at the airport at Lax, I had a stretched limo picked me up. Back then, they had these things called newspapers. In the back of the limo was the La Times, okay. And when you looked at the headlines of the La Times, and I'm not talking about the sports section, the headlines had a quote from me saying, I didn't come to Anaheim to see Goofy. I came to trade for Griffy. And I'm sitting there drinking my orange juice in the back of the limo. You want to talk about an arrogant, cocky, young general manager that had no humbleness to him, that was me. And then the phone rings, literally as I'm getting ready to get out of the limo and it's John Allen, and he says the owner tells has told me to tell you to get out of the trade. Do not make it, and whatever you do, do not blame me or do not blame him. You take the hit and you say it's a baseball decision. So I had to sit there and tell people I wouldn't put Pokey Reese in the trade, so we can't make the trade. And I knew I couldn't tell all of my assistants like Jeane Bennett and Tony Rabella and Larry Barton Junior, because they wouldn't believe me because they knew I wanted to make this trade. But I had to sit there and lie through my teeth, going, well, we just can't do it, guys, I can't give him up. And the hate that I was getting from all my guys inside was like, how can you do this? Well, you know, look, the public backlash was huge. Griffy really wanted to come to Cincinnati. His agent, Brian Goldberg, was working behind the scenes. And finally I'm in spring training in Sarasota, Florida, and they finally call me and they say you can make the deal now. So I called pac Illick long story short, we consummate the deal. Carl Lindner, the owner, sends his private jet to the Sarasota Airport to pick me, Griffy and his family up to fly us to Cincinnati for the press conference. We land at Lunkin Airport, which is fifteen minutes from the stadium, a private airport. The owner Carl Linder's Rolls Royce and two limos are behind him. Ken Griffey Junior gets in the Rolls Royce with Lindner. I'm in the limbo behind it with my family as we head to the Crosley Field and there are three helicopters following us from the few local news stations from Lunkin Airport to the stadium. And I'll never forget walking up to the podium in what was the most packed Crosley room has ever been and I went to the microphone and I said baseball is back in Cincinnati. And I just stepped back and watched the reaction.
Speaker 1: Jim, that is I must have forgotten how long you had to wait in between deal being set and then the deal actually being made. What was that? That was a couple of months? What was that like?
Speaker 2: It was a couple of years. It wasn't a couple of months. I mean I have been trying to get this. I've been trying to get him for years. But the frustrating part was between the Winter meetings and March because it made no sense because the agent, Brian Goldberg, was willing to defer money. The net present value of the deal was so far below market value it wasn't even funny. I mean, Griffy and his agent, they did everything to help me get him, and Pat Gillick, the Hall of Famer, wanted to do right by Griffy by taking less to move the player, to accommodate the superstar player, like everything was being handed to us. This wasn't me being a great GM pulling off this great trade. This was me just facilitating a given that was handed to us on a platter, and it gets nicked from above, and to this day I'll never comprehend how. But fortunately the end result was the same. So who cares. It was done in December or it was done when we got the spring training. The only thing we do know is the shirt I was wearing when I was told the news was the ugliest shirt I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Jim Pat Gillick. I know Pat very well. I've dealt with him a million times. He's one of the greatest gms ever, if not the greatest. When you were really young as a general manager and you're working a deal with Pat Gillick, what was that like working with someone as revered as him.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, in my era, there were two gms that I respected, and that was Pack Gillick and John Schultz, and they were the highest standard. They were the highest standard in terms of doing the job, professionalism, the way they handled people, their honesty, their integrity, and the way they negotiated. They were both straight shooters and to the point, and great human beings that were extremely smart and when they spoke, everybody listened. When I was around those two guys, I traded my mouth in for an ear and I walked in with three years. And that's how I dealt with those guys. Honor and a privilege to be able to talk, trade and do deals with Pac Gillick and John Chrolls. I remember the Brett Boone Denny Nagel trade with John Cholz or the Roberto Kelly for Dion Sanders trade with John Scholtz. Both were quick short, to the point and a great process. But both of those guys are elite at what they did. They were superstars and Hall of Famers.
Speaker 5: By the way, today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program.
Speaker 2: Kratz.
Speaker 6: We love our pups, we do, and I can't put Bella in a bubble, So you know what I'll do.
Speaker 2: I'll do the next best thing for her, That's right.
Speaker 5: The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets. And when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible VET bills directly into your bank account, so you can get back to focusing on what really matters, and that's your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash faul. That's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul again one more time. ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independence American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insuran and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 1: Explain the difference of what the war room at the you know, at the trade deadline look like when you first started, and what a war room looks like today at the trade deadline. As far as volume of people, it has changed dramatically. Agreed.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to say that in terms of volume of people because you know, you know, when I first started, I only had two or three people around me. And in fact, when I first started, I was GM Farm Director president. I ran the accounting in the pr I mean, I did everything. So obviously I was an organization that was a small market, so we did everything. But you know, by later days in Cincinnati, I had a huge staff of really good baseball people. And then when I went to Washington. You know, when I first went there, you know, we had a small staff, but we built that up to be a large staff as we well. I think the way the game has changed in the war room is just that now you have a lot more technology, you have a lot more analytics, we have artificial intelligence, you have bigger monitors, you have much quicker information video that's available to you. The science and the engineering aspects are there. You know, when I was in the game as a GM, you know, I needed to lean on scouts and evaluators to tell me how much range a centerfielder had, what his first step quickness was, Like, how much range does he have? Does he go better to his right to his left? How does he do with the ball coming in the ball coming back? I would need scouts that watch that with their naked eye to give me the answer. Well, nowadays you don't need that, right we just go to the computer and the computer tells you exactly how fast they are, what their angles are, what the first step quickness is, what the routes are like. So you need less of that, and you need more technology and more analytics. But the game obviously has expanded. It's in a much better place. It's much easier to make better decisions. But as you can see, even during the draft, you could see how big, you know, these draft rooms are and the war rooms. You know, depending upon the style of the general manager, the war rooms for the trade deadline, for the last three or four days of the trade deadline for a lot of clubs is very similar to what they have in their room for Draft Day.
Speaker 4: Well, speaking of draft day, and I know we're obviously talking trade deadline here, but I've always been curious. Now, if I'm not mistaken, you drafted Aaron Boone, Adam Dunn, among many other like big, big baseball names, And is there any part of you that when you won draft a player, develop a player, you kind of have that moment if you're forced to trade him or they're going away, that you're.
Speaker 2: Like, well, that's kind of like my baby, right.
Speaker 4: I took him out of nowhere and we've been nursing him to get him to the point that they are today. Is there a part of you that remembers those guys because there's so much promise, But unlike so many other sports, draft day doesn't mean major league baseball for first round or second round or third we may never see them take a major league at bat.
Speaker 1: In fact, we most likely won't.
Speaker 4: But for the guys that you drafted, especially the ones that had successful careers, is that special to you.
Speaker 2: Don't fall in love with your players, don't get emotional, John Schultz told me that. That's why John Schultz never went down to clubhouses because he didn't want to get emotional in making decisions. Brian Sabian wanted his assistant GM to call other gms a lot of the times because he didn't want to get emotional or be influenced by anything except for the evaluation of players. You know, you're paid to win. You're not paid to have friendships, and you're not paid to fall in love with it. Is it fun to trade for a player? Is it fun to draft a player and that player succeeds. Sure you root for them, but your job is to win that first and foremost. I'm going to use Deon Sanders as an example for a minute. He was one of my favorite people I ever had to be honest because he was such a great teammate. He wanted everyone around him to be better. He had great work ethic. He wanted to win more than anybody, but he wanted to help everybody around him be better people, not just better players. Right. I love Dion, but the minute I had a chance to get two starting pitchers in a gold glove center field or I traded him, and I'll never forget going down to tell him I was trading him. He started to cry and he said, I'm gonna quit. I'll just go play football. How can you do this to me? How can you trade me? And I said, I traded the player, Dianna, didn't trade you. I ended up signing him two more times because I wanted Dion back. But you know, besides Barry Larkin, he's the only other player in all my years of being a GM of the Reds that I gave him a notree clause. And I didn't give it to him. I gave it to me because I knew I would trade him again because I want to win.
Speaker 1: Wow, Jim, that is so great. Jim. Give us a story about a guy that you the trade was done, other than Griffy. The trade was done, you were certain, and then all of a sudden it fell apart in with fifteen minutes to go before the end of the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you the trade. I'll never forget it. Two thousand and two. I believe I have to look it up. I'm talking in nineteen ninety two. Maybe you have to look it up, but here it is. It's on the internet, so just google it. I had a deal made. I was jam of the Reds. I was making a deal with Ed Wade at the trade deadline, and he and I had agreed to a deal that would send Brandon Larsen to Philadelphia for Scott Rowland straight up and John Allen, John Allen, the chief executive officer, nixed the trade because of money. I asked him how much money did I have to come up with to make you approve the deal? And he gave me a figure. I went back on my phone and I called theo Epstein and I offered him prospects for cash. Did that to two other gms? I actually and it was pending ownership approval. I actually raised the money to make the Larson for Roland deal. And the deal with theo Epstein was kind of hurtful because I had a young, nineteen year old picture that through ninety nine, which back then was a big deal. It's not the way, but back then it was a big deal. And I brought it to John Allen and he nixed it as well, and the deal fell through. He can look that up on the internet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that was to me for you July two thousand and two. Yeah, Brandon Larson or for Scott Williamson from the Reds to the Phillies for Scott Roland and but vetoed by John Allen due to financial concerns.
Speaker 2: Not on and there were and then look, there were other deals like that. I remember the other one was Chuck Finley. I had a deal for Chuck Finley, again mixed by ownership. So look, that became a way of life for me. Unfortunately, once once mart Shot was no longer under control with the Reds, it became very different to get deals approved, even though they were deals that we're going to put the Reds in a position to win. And look, at the end of the day, you know, we all have to live with chain of command and follow through it. And that's what we did. And look, I tried to keep all of those deals out of the public eye at the time because it doesn't do any good. You know, when you work for an organization, you got to be loyal to that organization. But frustrating, Tim Jeff absolutely.
Speaker 1: Oh, Jim, Jim, how your first year as not a general manager after sixteen straight years, how much did you miss the drama and the pressure of the trade deadline that you're no longer there to make a deal.
Speaker 2: Zero zero. Do you know what it's like? Do you know what it's like I want to be able to hang out with tell us? Can I tell you what it's like to be able to take your family or your wife out to dinner. Do you know what it's like to say, I'm going to the movies tomorrow night at seen the seven o'clock show and eat popcorn with assault on it. Do you know what that's like to be able to watch my Lakers play at the area. Do you know what it's like to watch the Cowboys on Sunday? Do you know what that's like for Do you realize I have an actual life? Do you know I have a family and I actually have a life outside of baseball, Tim and Jeff, I never had that my entire life. My entire life, I was in baseball. I went from college to the big leagues right out of I graduated in eighty three. I started working for the Pirates in eighty four and that's where I was for decades, working twenty four to seven. Did I miss it? No? And by the way, I still go to the games. I still talk I talked to the GMS more in this role than I did when I was a GM, and they liked me more now than they did that It's actually better for me in almost every area. And by the way, I can't make a bad trade, and by the way, I come up with a bad trade, everybody forgets about it next week. It's can't be any better.
Speaker 1: So, Jim, have you ever met anyone who loves the trade deadline like right now in this role more than you? Because I have never seen anybody love it like you do. And I have never seen anybody sell a trade roomer better than you. There are times I listen to you and I say, there's no way this is going to happen. I don't believe in this. And by the time you're done, I'm thinking, this is a great trade. This has to happen. Where did you get that ability from to make sure you could sell the trade that you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I was three years old and I'm sitting on my dad's lap and he's talking. He was a big Boston Red Sox fan, and Dick O'Connell was the general manager, Tom Yacki was the owner, and my dad every single night would say, now would you trade this guy for that guy? And what about this trade? And what if we would do this trade and that was my relationship with my dad. Of all the things we had in common, that was it. It was baseball and his favorite part was the trade. So when I'm a young child, that was my passion and so that has always stayed there. And so yeah, I love it. I love the ability to make teams better. I love I love the drama that comes with it. I love the excitement of sports about winning and making teams better. I mean, when you sit there at the trade deadline and you can make a trade and give your team a chance to win, there's not a feeling like that because everyone in that clubhouse knows that you just contributed like the star player. And if you're a rebuilding team, you know what it feels like when you can trade Jeff Shaw for Paul Karnerko and then trade him for Mike Cameron and him for Ken Griffey Junior. Do you know what that feels like. I mean, it's it's rewarding, it's fun, and you're helping an organization, you're helping play, you're helping a fan base, you're helping a group of people, and the excitement and the fun of trying to make an impact to entertaining people and bring a winner and make people feel good. There's nothing like it. You know, there's a lot of people out there that don't know where their next meal is gonna come from. There's a lot of people that go to jobs that they don't like, and they live through sports and they get excited when their team wins. And when you can do something to help their team win indirectly, that makes their life better and their bad day at work or their divorced or their financial troubles go away when you win five to one. And if I had a chance to sit in that seat and help that team win five to one and have a small part of that, yeah, that's rewarding and it feels good.
Speaker 1: J I grew up in.
Speaker 4: The Washington, DC area, and so when the Nationals came to town, I was twelve, So I mean talk about prime to get a National League team in your area.
Speaker 1: I mean it was just such a special time.
Speaker 4: You took over, correct me if I'm wrong, right before they moved, like the off season before they became the Nationals officially and came to DC. You also obviously were general manager when they moved to Nationals Park.
Speaker 1: That must have been.
Speaker 4: Just on top of being the general manager, dealing with the move and then dealing with a new ballpark. That's something that was probably a lot on your plate at one time.
Speaker 2: Wasn't it. It was a lot of fun, it was exciting. And I'll tell you the funny story at how it happened, because you know, I was sitting there in Los Angeles and I was having a burrito on Melrose Avenue when the Commissioner's office called me and they had offered the interim GM job to Bob Watson, who turned him down. And they called me and said, you know, would you like to, you know, come run the Montreal expos as they moved to to Washington. And I said, you know what, I don't think. So, you know, I've just started this media career. You know, I've gotten this job with ESPN. I'm working on this show called Cole Pizza, which has been really fun, and you know, right now, I think I want to see how this kind of plays out. And Bob Dupey, who is the right hand MANDA Commissioner Bud Selik at the time, said to me, well, we'll pay you x and I said, well, what time is the flight I'll get on it. Yeah, and so I got on the flight. I accepted right away, and then they put me together with Tony Tavers, who was the president at the time. He didn't have any input in hiring me, kind of put us together. Frank Robinson was the manager. So the three of us get put together, where none of us hired each other. It's just okay, you three make this thing work. And by the way, you have no money. You can't hire anybody. We're selling the team, so it's got to be bear bone. So if you want to hire someone, then you have to fire someone to replace him, but you you can't add a penny. And so yeah, it was a fun challenge. But the excitement of bringing back baseball to Washington, d C. After all those years since the seventies. To be able to have that opportunity and be a part of that, that was incredible to be through the ownership process, all these different owners coming in and you know, one of the prospective owners said, what keeps you up at night? Is it? Brian Schneider the catcher, and I looked at me and they started laughing. I said, keep me up the night, my children. Certainly not a baseball team like what are you asking? And soon as they left the room, I made sure people knew they're not going to buy this team. But that's the kind of question they're going to ask me. That was just bizarre. But the right, the right ownership group got at the Learner family. That was the right ownership who brought a world championship to DC. As you know, Jeff, and so the experience was amazing. That first game at RFK Stadium, I thought the entire stadium was going to collapse. It was shaking. It was shaking so too. In the stand. I had my late parents there, I had my mentor Sid Thrift was in the house at the time. I mean, my kids were all there. I mean it was it was amazing to be at DC. And now I'll never forget the first game at NAT's Park against the Atlanta Braves. Again, I had my late mom and dad there, a special moment, all my kids were there. It was incredible. And Ryan Zimmerman the walk off home run. He was my first round pick my first year in Washington, personally made the pick and there he was walking it off to centerfield against the Braves to open the stadium. That was the moment I'll never forget and I feel very blessed that I got dad the honor of privilege to be a part of the start of the Washington Nationals.
Speaker 1: And Jim Ryan Zimmerman is the greatest National ever. I'm not sure there's a way around that. I mean, tell us what it was like when you decided this is the guy we're going to take. This is when we're going to bring him to the big leagues at like age twenty.
Speaker 2: It'll put it right in the middle of the order.
Speaker 1: Tell us how that worked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was interesting because we had a conflict with my top advisors and we probably did take the wrong guy at the time, although it worked out so it's okay. But I'll tell you the story. So I had my Cadillac Escalade at the time, and in the in my escalade loaded up as Barry Larkin, Jose Cardinel, Bob Boone. So we have we have a bunch of executives all in this in this escalade going down to Virginia to see Zimmerman play. I remember Barry Larkin being in the way back kind of crunch because we didn't have enough room in the car. And we all get out and we're watching two players. It's Ryan Zimmerman against Ryan Braun, who also went that same year. But the thing about Ryan Zimmerman that day was that he was a gold Glove defender at third Now we later heard his back and he ended up moving to first base, but when we drafted him, he was gold Glove third base. He was Scott Rowland defensively like he was that good. The other part of him he could hit big league pitching right now, and what I mean by that is high velocity, breaking balls, change up. Owned the other way had the approach, low risk, bring him to the big leagues. You can hit right now. And in fact I drafted him in June. He was in the big leagues in September. Frank Robinson, my manager, didn't want him. We had Vinny Castillo. He didn't want him. He said he won't hit. You can't get a guy in the big leaguexact quick. I said, yeah you can, and he ended up hitting three hundred and was playing plus plus defense. Jay, you can and a great kid. But the other thing that Zim brought to the table Jeff and Tim was all the intangibles. When I drafted Zim, I said, there's your cover of your media guide, there's the cover of the yearbook, there's the cover of the franchise. It's not just the talent, but it's the makeup, the character, the family values, everything we want to be with the Nationals. He's the human being we want to be now. Barry Larkin and jose Carnell they wanted Ryan Braun, and you know what, baseball wise, they were right. But Bryan Brun didn't have the intangibles a Zim had. So although Zim wasn't the player bron was. Zimmerman did hold up that World Series trophy when they got off that charter jet back to DC, didn't he? He led that parade, didn't he? So he was the right pick, just wasn't the best player in that draft.
Speaker 1: Jim, I dealt with Frank Robinson a lot, and I love Frank Robinson in front of me. But he was a ferocious player and a ferocious band when he needed to be. You tangled with him a few times, but I assume you loved every second you spent with Frank Robinson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love Frank. He's a softie. His outside's tough. His outside will scare the crap out of you, to be honest, but the inside is he's a teddy bear, that's the truth. And he has a very loyal group around him on his coaching staff. I liked all him. I always got a big kip when Mike Wallace he always would put those yellow m and ms on his seat on the airplane. All his coaches ate those peena m and ms. Boy, they love those. But you know, my, my, you know, he and I had some disagreements, you know, a lot baseball wise, that's all part of it. I learned a lot from him as well. We had some really funny moments and some really bad moments. I remember when you know, John Wetland turned on some firecrackers in the middle of bullpen almost well actually the bullpen did go on fire on the right bullpen, and Frank Robins said, you got to fire him this minute. You got to get him out this minute. And look, I said, look, let me think about it overnight. We'll get to it tomorrow. Let me talk to John Wetland. But that was a difficult that was a difficult time. We disagreed on some players like Zimmerman and Castilla that year, but you know it was give and take. You know, he he would he would give. He would give and take. I would give and take, and we'd work through it. When we agree to disagree. We both said, okay, we'll see, we'll see who's right, you know, let's wait, see who's right, and then the other one would own it if we were wrong, like both of us did that. I think, my, my, U. It's interesting conversation with him, and I'm just thinking about this because of Sunday was the Hall of Fame. The greatest defensive center fielder I ever saw in my life was Andrew Jones, and it wasn't close. And I wish they had metrics back then to measure him, because nobody could take a single double or home away better than Andrew Jones. His steps, his angles, his first step quickness, his reaction time was the best I ever saw. And nobody was close. And I've seen a lot of great defensive centerfielders in my life. Jim Edmonds was one, Byron Buckston's one, and I've seen a lot. But I asked Frank who was the best defensive center fielding you ever saw? And he looked at me and he said, Andrew Jones is one A and Willie Mays is one B. And I didn't see Willie Mays in his prime. But I know one thing I could trust Frank Robinson in the answer.
Speaker 1: Right, that's I mean, that's a dad.
Speaker 4: When just to say, when we had our little Hall of Fame special Dad, you were praising Andrew Jones and his defensive prowess. Absolutely, but I just got chills hearing that about what Frank said, one A, one B.
Speaker 1: That is really special.
Speaker 2: That's cool. Yeah, yeah, Jim.
Speaker 1: We could go on for hours about this, but we're gonna We're gonna have to let you go here. I want to thank you again. You put us in the room on trade deadline time, you put us in the room at the winter meetings, and what a general manager goes through? Have you ever been to the movies? Jim? He just asked us, Jem, how great is that? I thought he was gonna say, I could not exist without being the GM. Instead, it was the greatest relief in a way ever.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it was. I had great memories, enjoyed it. I would never take it back. I'm glad I sacrificed all I sacrifice. And by the way, my biggest concern in my whole life was how my kids would react because I wasn't able to go to all of their games or most of their games, and I always was concerned about what it was going to be like when they grow up. All of them today said that they supported it and that they're glad that they got to be the son of a GM to experience all the benefits that they got, and they were glad and they're okay with sacrificing what they did of not having a full time dad for that, And that makes me feel really good that today that they were able to view it that way, because that's the one thing I was concerned. And by the way, before I took the Nationals job, I made sure to ask all of them what should I do? What do you want me to do? And I was not going to take that job, even on a number basis, which is all it was. Originally wasn't supposed to be five years like it was, but every single one of them told me to take it. And that's one of the reasons why I did back then, because they wanted the opportunity for me not only to be there, but so they could go to the ballpark every day as well.
Speaker 1: And Jim again last one for me, what's it like? Doing a podcast with your son.
Speaker 2: How great is that?
Speaker 1: I know all about it.
Speaker 2: Well I have to do is look at you two and understand that as much as you're enjoying it, Tim, I'm enjoying it more.
Speaker 1: That's so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The only problem is my dad had the choice of only one son to co host with. I could imagine having five sons to co host.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't have to worry about that because only one of them wants to write. I have one son that's the general manager of the USC football team, so he's building, you know, he's trying to build a championship team there for the USC Trojans. I've got one son that's handling finances for people out the world. And I've got another son that's a world renowned dancer that is now choreographing for some of the best dancers and music videos in the world. So I got my sons absolutely everywhere. So I'm lucky. I'm lucky at least they had one that wanted to do this with me.
Speaker 4: Well, Jim, listen, I didn't tell my dad I wanted to do this, but with a baseball mind like yourself, and being that we are joined by guests every single week for the last three years. It's been the joy of our lives to do this show together. Who is a guest and no pressure. I mean, we've had a lot of guests on the show already, So if you name somebody we've already had, we'll have him back.
Speaker 1: But who is a guest you.
Speaker 4: Think would bring us enjoyment, laugh with us, have fun with us that you think we should have on Is this a great game or what? In all your years of baseball knowledge.
Speaker 2: I would say, bring out Johnny Bench.
Speaker 1: Well, we had Johnny Bench on the first year, Jim from Cooperstown and Jeff, you got to acknowledge, maybe all of our guests, maybe Johnny Bench was the best one. He made us laugh, he made us cry, he sang for us, and there we are sitting next to the greatest catcher of all time and talk about humility and everything else and the greatest storyteller in the world. All right, Jeff, you know what.
Speaker 2: You get? Yes, I want to get a little more up to date, though, I think try to get Marcello Hernandez on. That would be my next recommendation. He'd be a good one.
Speaker 1: All right, We're on it. We're there, right, we'll figure this out.
Speaker 4: Ye, No pressure because I don't book any of the guests except for I did get one PGA tour golfer Will Zlatorus on the show because I slid.
Speaker 1: Into his DMS.
Speaker 4: That's about all I've contributed love the guest end of things, and my dad is such a prepper that he wouldn't let me ever surprise him with a guest. I'm sure I could find somebody's number and bring somebody in, but he's such a prepared guy.
Speaker 1: I feel like he'd lose his mind if he didn't know.
Speaker 2: Who we were on. So look, I got to work with your dad at ESPN. You could throw whatever surprise at you. As much as he wants to prep, his story telling is going to fit whoever the guest is. He honestly doesn't need the prep. All he needs is his brain and he's got that full time. So go ahead and surprise him. I've I watched ESPN surprise him for years. Nothing phases him. He's ready to go no matter what come on. His life has been right.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jim for all the great stories that you told today. It was absolutely priceless and at a perfect time. Trade deadline today thanks Jim, Thanks John, excellent Okay