Speaker 1: Oh we rolling.
Speaker 2: We good.
Speaker 3: Welcome to another episode of Busting with the Boys. I am your co host, Will Compton. My other co host today Taylor Lawe. Glennie Balls just randomly sorry. I appreciate Glenny Balls took the three of you.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it. Thank you, guys.
Speaker 3: Glenny's in town. You're doing a Sunday conversation with Caleb.
Speaker 4: Yes, you too? Who who else does they have? Chase Rice on Wednesday? And then we did Darius today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Darius Darius as you guys obviously now you heard of him. Yeah, Hoody what what what is his?
Speaker 1: What was his nickname in that band?
Speaker 4: So here's what happens. I've heard he doesn't like to be called hoody and he said he's not hoody. He said, that's just the name of the band and interviews. He said that. And I'm not gonna lie. I've been here. I've been here all weekend because, yeah, we have an interview, so why not come to Nashville. So we had the interview, and everyone I talked to you yesterday they were like, oh, why are you here? When I was out at the bars and ship, they like, oh, I'm doing an interview with Darius in the morning, and everyone's just like, don't call Hoody because you know Nashville, everyone knows everybody, like everyone hears something.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, thank god I didn't.
Speaker 4: That's like, don't call him hoody. Why didn't you tell me that I forgot.
Speaker 1: We've been texting the whole time.
Speaker 4: It's okay, we survived. Yeah we survived and did not say Hoody.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 3: So Darius, he had a Sunday conversation with the boys, Caleb and Glenny at ten am, and then Darius came on over here at eleven am. So he had a full day getting the Barceol car wash.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's Darius been in the heat, He's been on for two hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he went on the top two shows in Barcel.
Speaker 4: Whatdn't you say obviously obviously you were saying almost went on a pizza view. Who needs the pizza reviews when you got us right right?
Speaker 1: Or or the Chevy review that you're about the body bag.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I'm good at this.
Speaker 2: I'm good at this.
Speaker 4: So we're doing Chevy. Yeah, we're Chevy. I fact, that was bad. I don't want to like fuck up the Adams.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chevy's are our main primary there though the big they are our best friends.
Speaker 4: Am I doing the full read? Yeah?
Speaker 1: You got the read?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 1: I thought you said you were good.
Speaker 4: How do I start off like football season is in full blown? Okay, just bro?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, maybe we'd.
Speaker 4: Be like, I don't even have a car. Thought maybe be like, oh, my Chevy was awesome last night.
Speaker 1: But you so what we unloaded out of my truck, my Chevy Sivarado.
Speaker 4: He did unload some merch out of here Chevy Silverado and it was fantastic. It was perfect the truck, the trunk shot right open and Fellas football season is in full swing, it's time for you to step up your tailgating game. The available multiflex tailgate with six convenient configurations will give you a step on your tailgate game. Step up in your tailgate game. Sorry about that. There's the primary tailgate, which opens with a push of a button on the key fober from inside the truck. The inner gate folds to a large jeff for easily getting getting out of the bed. There's an easy access configuration where the inner gate folds down, allowing you to reach farther into the bed. It can also be a desk or surface area for your tailgating meal. The Chevy Silverado modern and advanced with a ton of grit, a partner in getting things done. The Chevy Silverado is as strong and dependable as the people who drive him, and it's just a fantastic car.
Speaker 1: Man. He did a great job.
Speaker 4: I told growing up, I was always the guy wo would raise my hand to reading class, know you, I swear to god I was. I always loved reading class. I loved it.
Speaker 3: It's kind of fucking weird. Were you guys about hand raising your hand and reading class?
Speaker 1: People did it at that point?
Speaker 4: Yeah, It's not like I was a bookwarm I just always enjoyed reading.
Speaker 1: You just enjoy reading or you wanted to show off, like.
Speaker 4: Oh I don't. I don't read books, Like I don't sit down and read books. I've read like three books in my life.
Speaker 1: You suld like to be the kid that reads in class.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if we're reading a quick passage from the literature novel, yeah, why not prayer? Yeah? I went to Catholic school, so we had we had like morality Catholic school.
Speaker 1: U until fourth grade?
Speaker 4: Oh I did all through high school?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So like in high school. Every year we've had a different we have a different category of religion class we'd take. There was like scripture, morality. I can't remember the other two. Every year we have a different religion class. And yeah, we would just rock that Bible, bro.
Speaker 1: And then you're and here you are at barstool sports.
Speaker 4: You know, they, I don't think they like it very much. The the Catholic high school, they don't like yeah, still very much.
Speaker 1: You can't go back to your old school and kind of walk the halls proud.
Speaker 4: So I went.
Speaker 1: They looked down on you.
Speaker 4: No, I went. The first time I went back to school, it was uh, I wasn't working at Parsley and I was just in college because that was the big thing was Thanksgiving Eve. You go back to Kellenberg and then you roam around Kellenberg. See all the teachers give some hugs. Yeah, and then you head out and everyone goes to the bar that night, the local the local watering hole, per se, try to get with your crush from high school, you know all that. All that. Yeah, and uh, yeah, I have been back since. I did go back for the five year reunion, which was pretty awkward, but it was fun, was it?
Speaker 1: Awkward.
Speaker 4: It's just weird seeing all your teachers and ship if and everyone. I told about a five year union and everyone says, looking at me, like I have ten heads in a five year union. I think it's got to at least ten. The five I've never heard of five year Yeah we had if we have five ten, fifteen, twenty twenty five. But I'll be going back. I'm I'm a I peaked in high school.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: I love high school. Yeah, loved it. Well, what do you mean you peaked? What makes you think you peaked? Like athletically you peaked.
Speaker 4: Or definitely athletically? I was Were you in all the sports?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I tried off. I never played football. I tried football freshman year, got cut first cuts because like I was always, I always had sick hands, Like I I do pretty good hands, but I can't be a fucking tight end. I'm five eight and like three hundred pounds give me that end. So I tried out to be alignment. And there's never having played the line before. I got cut first cuts if it was tough, but I did.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: I did play uh cut first cut. I did play shotput. I was on the shot put team for the first year I was on the shot put team. I remember the coach. First thing he said, like when we got on the team, because he wasn't even a teacher there. He just came would come to just coach the shot put. Yeah, And the first thing he said was if you don't have a sense of humor, you're not gonna do well on this team. So we would fucking bust joke around, bust balls all the time. Whatever. And I'm not a very serious person. So sophomore year comes around, try to get on the team again. I got cut sophomore year and the guy said I joked around too much and he coming for that. I was like this, So yeah, I got cut from fucking shot put. I got cut from shot put.
Speaker 2: For being too funny, not for.
Speaker 4: Being too fighting, just for trying to be too funny. I can't say I was too funny.
Speaker 1: When how did you get the name Glenny Balls?
Speaker 4: So I don't really know. Me and my friends just like came up with it randomly one day, and I think, so, I think it's a mix of Goodfellas and Entourage subconsciously being in my brain in Goodfellas, you know the tracking scene of Good Fellas where they're going through the whole restaurant and showing everybody. They say one guy's name is Sally Balls. And then in Entourage when Billy Walsh has his when Billy Walsh starts a porn he's a porn director. His porn director nickname is Wally Balls. So I think, just subconsciously through that, I thought of Glenny Balls.
Speaker 1: So you started. This is self proclaimed. This is self proclaimed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I I got like a horse racing account, like before I even got hired at work, and like my us name on there, just made it Glenny Balls. It's just that's just that's I mean, thank god, thank god that I did because trust me, like if you're the guy at my interview with Dave, I'm walking out, walking out of the interview, and you.
Speaker 6: Gotta tell the whole story though, because you told it to me yesterday about how that happened.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's a what a horrifying story. It's my heart beats every time I say it.
Speaker 1: With the context of going in the interview with.
Speaker 4: Day, just how I got hired. So I got hired when it was like five years ago, was late August twenty.
Speaker 1: Sixteen, And let's put your head back on.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I've shitty hair. I know I canna tell him, but I know, Jesus Christ, I mean, I'm no fucking Caleb. I know I got shitty hair.
Speaker 1: That's a kid show man.
Speaker 4: But so I got how I like five years ago. It was late August. I remember, it was lame in bed one night and Erica treats out that we need New York interns, that they're moving to New York from Boston. So I instantly lay in my bed, I fucking replied quickly, And I'm emailing Erica. At least I thought as Erica was emailing Erica a Barsol Sports. It really wasn't Erica. It was like our manager, our office manager, Brett, great guy, shout out. I haven't seen him in a while, and he was one of like doing like setting up the interviews. Obviously, I don't know why YIP actually thought Erica was the one like emailing interns. But so I going for an intern interview. This was September sixteen, twenty sixteen. Got the interview, thank god, and I have no idea. Once again, I still think I'm emailing Erica. So I think this is a full blown business interview, Like I wore like a button down shirt and.
Speaker 1: You're looking good.
Speaker 4: You're ready to get the known.
Speaker 1: I don't just fans, not that you didn't look good, but you're trying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember I did a one of the things I wrote in my breast it was that I did like the blazing challenge at Buffalo Wild Wings. So then they wrote back wear the blazing shirt with and the I wore butN down over that. So I ready for the day. And this was what I actually chanswer to a school in the city. So I was going to a business school in Manhattan on twenty third and Lexington Baruk and I had a miserable schedule out of Tuesday Thursday seven am, Monday Wednesday seven am. But then the Monday Wednesday class would have like a twenty minute meet up on Fridays from eleven to eleven twenty and my whole life, my mom has been off on Friday. She doesn't work on Fridays, so she would drive me to the city, wait in the car. I'd go to the twenty minute thing and we were just get a nice wonderful lunch from manattan somewhere, you know, maybe a little cats as Delis and mother son time. So she drove me that day to college, to school or whatever. Then drove me to the office. Let's meet out, and I'm like, listen, drive away, don't stay here, drive away. So I go up there to the interview. It was so so so scary, our new office office. You've been in a new office, right, He's nice. You walk in as a lobby the old office. You get off the elevator, You're just in the mix. You're just staring at people. I remember I made icontact with Fiderberg and I freaked the funk out because I was a big Barstol fan. I had the Barcel flag sweatshirt. I was a big Barsol guy. I was fucking horrifying. You walk in and then speak of mind. I forgot to mention, dude, I forgot to mention. So I'm looking at snapchat, the Barstol snapchat, and I see Caleb interviewing people like on your way yeah, on my way there. I forgot to see that. I see Caleb interviewing people like jokingly doing it for content. I had no idea. I still think this is a business interview. And then on the way there, I see that and I'm like, holy shit, I'm so scared.
Speaker 1: I'm about to get got so I'm fucking horrified.
Speaker 4: I go up there, I sit down with Caleb and thank god, this great guy Matt now I know now he texted Caleb, just the next guy you see, asking me if he's fast. So Caleb just randomly asked me if I'm fast, and I was like, dude, you know what, fro my size, i am pretty fucking fast. Like when I'm playing softball, people are shocked how quick I got down the line. Like from my size, I'm pretty pretty fast. Okay, it was just goes to me, let's prove it. We go down to the street, twenty seventh Street, and I'm not only am I freaking out about like meeting Caleb doing all that, Like what if my mom's still outside in the car elevator. We get outside, she didn't fucking move. She's right there. Like I'm like, please don't say it, Please don't say anything. Please don't say please, don't say anything. Like in the video me running down the street, you can see my mom's car. It's right there and I'm sitting there. Holy fuck, thank god, I ran down the street and kid was like, you're fast, you're hired. And then I'm like, okay, sounds good, budd He says, you gotta go talk to Dave. He brings us into Dave. I talked to Dave, which was obviously horrifying, Like it's very intimidating. I've known for five years. He's a wonderful guy. He's one of my fair people. I'm still fucking petrified with him. Yeah, but uh, and thank god we did that. He said, Cambus your boss, You're hired, and then also thank god to no end as the walking out gays just goes, do you have any nicknames? And I was like, oh, oh, my friend's called me Glenny Balls and thank god, thank god that stuck. If I don't, let me tell you, I don't know what the fuck i'd bean. I didn't even have a major. I was a junior in college. I didn't have a major because I transferred and I was so bad, and man, yeah, I had to take remedial math. Didn't even take a class and then get a major. So it was bad.
Speaker 1: So it all worked out.
Speaker 4: Thank God. I truly don't I truly don't know what I'd be doing.
Speaker 1: This story should be called thank God.
Speaker 4: Like I have ten. Me and my friends are in like a ten person group chat. They're all accounts. I'm not cut out to be an account I don't know what the fuck i'd be doing.
Speaker 1: So is Caleb still your boss?
Speaker 4: I guess in a way theoretically, I mean during football season to do a sunny conversation, I'm just on the road with him all the time. So I guess the retically he's the boss.
Speaker 1: What's it been? What's it? What was it like?
Speaker 3: Like, you know, you were nervous around them meeting him for the interviews and stuff like that, Like, how's that? How's your mental on him? An idea of him shifted since working with him? Oh he's a great guy.
Speaker 4: But he's me and him. Me and him are very separate, lives on the road, you know. Yeah, Like he likes to hang out, he likes to golf and I like to full systems go. But I mean he's wonderful.
Speaker 1: He's you go out on your own.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's one thing the Sunny Cars taught me. I've I have learned to go out alone. I've learned to just the right places though, Like I could go and whenever we go to Miami, I stay in Delray Beach because I could go out in Delray Beach. I met people there. I met people here. I could go out here, like I can't go out alone in like Miami. You can't go to eleven alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I did go to eleven alone, like a month ago. I went to eleven alone and I was it was so intimidating. He was so scary. Thank god. Me and Caleb no one of the Uh, thank god, Sorry I'm saying thank you. I like Jesus. Okay, I went to Catholic High school and uh, I know one of the director, the director of operations. He like showed me around, So that was okay. At least I basically shadowed him for the night, which was pretty cool. But that's a place you can't go alone. I can't go to a club, loan do a bar, a little hockey talk feel whenever I'm in Scottsdale, a little rusty spur saloon. It's like the side of this bus. There, I could go out alone. But Miami, that's not place.
Speaker 1: And Caleb likes be in his hotel room. And then hill.
Speaker 4: Golf, Yeah, you just such a golf, like as a golf you think.
Speaker 3: He's gonna be a pro. Yeah, I think so too. I do we Uh, this is a this is obviously an intro, right now, I gotta get yeah, yeah, let's get onto the good stuff. Did the tight are fucking eight and two victory Monday?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 3: It's victory Wednesday as you guys are listening, Uh, thank god. Their kicker sucks, man, I mean it's like they brought the kid from Nebraska up to out to New Orleans and you just shanked.
Speaker 1: Two extra points? Like yeah, what point?
Speaker 3: Like you're you're Sometimes I do feel bad for the kickers, I really do. I'm like, man, I bet there's a lot that they got there that's going on in there nogging, Like they do have some stressful, stressful times. But that's if you're missing like forty fifty yarders and game winners type shit, you're missing extra points. Like if you're Sean Payton, is it out of the question when the kicker runs off to the sideline like number one, nobody should dap you up, Like everybody DAPs up and still head butts hey my bad man, Like yeah, everybody's tight, Like, bro, make the fucking kick. And if you're a Sean Payne and he runs over, like, is he could he potentially just look at the kicker and point out him and say hey, fuck you, and that'd be okay.
Speaker 6: You definitely could. I don't know if it would be okay, but he could definitely do that.
Speaker 1: I would be so I would.
Speaker 3: I was almost pissed for the Saints, like, no, I'm stoked at the Boys one, but I'm sitting there watching due miss field goals.
Speaker 1: I'm like, how are you missing your extra points?
Speaker 4: I don't even know if I could be a kicker, solely based off the awkwardness. If you said you could be on kicker right now, I don't know if I'd do it. That must be such an awkward feeling. And go back on the Boston you're the one that missed the kicks, and shit.
Speaker 3: Bro, no doubt because they lose. They lose twenty three twenty one. My man misses two extra points, they're having to go for two.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There, you know, wouldn't happen. The Boys would have adjusted. But based on this score, they're winning the game if they make their kicks.
Speaker 6: The misses weren't even in like high pressure situations. Man, right whether hit the kick, it's.
Speaker 3: Routine, classic New Orleans Nebraska case right here, you're losing because you can't special teams.
Speaker 1: Uh, Washington football team beats the Bucks.
Speaker 2: You said, what about Brady?
Speaker 1: Is Tom Brady? Why his father time catching up to Tom Brady?
Speaker 4: Hold the phone.
Speaker 1: You're a big time Brady.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know. I was at the Titans game. Yeah, today I was had a few beveragers. I didn't even look at the scores. The football team beat the Bucks.
Speaker 3: To Glen Glenny balls with this on Wednesday, just finding out that, uh, the Washington football team beats the Bucks twenty nine the night football tail to the Boys. Bro, Yeah, they beat the Bucks. Heinikey is arguably a better quarterback than Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: What the fuck, dude?
Speaker 4: I feel shocked right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, at post game, you know, Brady, I saw PFT tweet like passing the torch and it's it's Tom Brady and Heinekey like hugging. That is wild though, Like I don't know, I feel like you can't panic, Like this stuff happens with any Tom Brady team.
Speaker 1: Everybody starts is he washed?
Speaker 2: Is he?
Speaker 1: This is he that? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm scared to say anything because you know he's gonna go off. You know he's gonna get hot late in the year.
Speaker 5: They play the Giants next week too, and that's oh yeah, they're gonna go.
Speaker 1: I think they're gonna go Old Testament on the Giants.
Speaker 4: I would venture to make a responsible wager on the Possel Sports book.
Speaker 1: Yeah on, there you go, there you go.
Speaker 4: On the tap of Buccaneers, because that's gonna be a beat. I mean, we suck, We're really bad. Weren't coming off a bie week though, you know who Giants. I'm a Giants fan.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: That is tough.
Speaker 4: By the way, Can I just say, I know we talked about it with Darius. I think it's crazy that he thinks that Super Bowl six years old counts. I had a Super Bowl with the Giants I was I was fifteen, so I guess that's different. But six years old that I.
Speaker 3: Will say, just because it was Darius Rutger, I was like trying to stay a little more reserved. But I thought the same thing, like, I don't count my I don't count those super Bowls with the Cowboys when I.
Speaker 4: Was imagine you quite like once again, I literally love. He's been one of my fair people on the planet. After the two hours we just spat with him. But uh, he said he started being in a Doplin Salmon he was five, and then they won Super Bowl the next two years. That's it. Those are two super Bowls. Like, what don't you want to see what happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What a bandwagon?
Speaker 2: Yeah I was gonna call a bandwagon fan.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, But obviously he's riding with him now, so that's the good thing.
Speaker 4: No, I've seen him tweet about the Doplins like NonStop. He's a huge Doplins fan. Yeah, and they but yeah, his pre ten Let me tell you what, what a.
Speaker 1: Tiny zero to ten? Like he can't you can't necessary?
Speaker 4: What the time to get your first full season is the undefeated season.
Speaker 3: What a time to get involved with the Dolphins, dude? And then the Raiders. Bro the Raiders. Yeah, that was a tough loss. That was a tough loss to the Chiefs. I'm not really sure what to say about the loss either, Like I don't know if it's the Chiefs or it always sucks because I know, like following some Raiders fans there, they're getting so they get so pissed off because it seems like this is the point of the year when it happens or something starts to go hey wire and they crumble a.
Speaker 2: Little bit Jacksons.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Is a good point. I will say.
Speaker 3: The Chiefs have been winning games and Mahomes have been playing better. Did you see Mahomes the way he dapped up Jackson a couple of weeks ago. He shunned him, shunned him. Jackson would even make eye contact. Yeah, can we make a big deal about it and not actually be a real deal. Yes, But also we can read between the lines and Jackson seems like he wears.
Speaker 1: His heart on his sleeve.
Speaker 4: Jackson's got to retire, Yeah, I got it. No longer be allowed, It's easy.
Speaker 1: What what game was that too? What game were they at?
Speaker 4: They still barely won that game that was against the Giants, mother than in football, Yeah they didn't. They didn't, you guys.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he dabs up Jackson. But like that's we were talking about a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: But like, look at my man in the in those TikTok videos that are being made.
Speaker 4: That video makes me sad. I don't even want to look at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, clearly there's a conversation that happened. Okay, we we can't. We can't say that's facts, but in our universe we can kind of say that's it's pretty clear that a conversation happened because he DAPs them up and you don't see any of the TikTok videos anymore, which I think.
Speaker 2: Is the right move.
Speaker 4: That video right there with them at the bar, that's that's a man that needs a vacation away. He needs a solo vacation, and like, yeah.
Speaker 1: He's like, give me out of this fucking life.
Speaker 3: Dude, that's speaking of get out, Like that's a that's a it's a get out video right there.
Speaker 1: He's just sitting there.
Speaker 4: He send help me.
Speaker 1: Out of here. Yeah, send help.
Speaker 3: Nebraskata bye week best three win two by week seven, lost team in the country. I saw somebody tweet that, and I agree wholeheartedly with that. It'll be interesting to see how they play out. They they play at Wisconsin next week. Their number nineteen, so I'm sure they'll give them a run for their money and squander at the end of the game. They won't squander it. The rest will fucking squander it late in the game. Because I'm still pissed about that PI call that they didn't call on Ohio State a couple weeks ago. Michigan beat Penn State twenty one to seventeen. I don't really know what to make of that, because it's kind of like Penn State they had hype at the beginning of the year. Who I really want to talk about Iowa. I won from two number two in the country, and now they're like a twenty Now they're like in the twenties or some shit like that. I do hope we win that game, but as I said last week's episode, I'm a little cynical. You kind of hope that Nebraska carries this torch of the best three win team in the country for.
Speaker 1: The rest of the year.
Speaker 3: Scott Frost has already coming back. It's already known. So what are we fighting for now?
Speaker 4: I don't even know. It's tough.
Speaker 3: It's confirmed, yeah, because he Scott. He fired four offensive coaches and he's coming back. I think they restructured his deal. I'm sure the buyout is now smaller to where if he has another bed year next year, he's probably next year he's gonna have to He's gonna have to win.
Speaker 1: He's gonna have to put up.
Speaker 3: I was at eighteen now after they win last week against I don't even.
Speaker 2: Who was who they play?
Speaker 1: Who is in Minnesota?
Speaker 4: Have no idea, But dude, how about wake Forest at thirteen? They got a big win this week wake Forest?
Speaker 3: Dude, ACC they're the best team in the ACC right now, which how much does that say?
Speaker 4: Nothing? Honestly, AHC should be the AC this year. But still it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, wisconstant surprise of people who they played?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Was at Minnesota? Barely beat Minnesota? Like in Minnesota's not a good football team?
Speaker 4: Didn't it beat Nebraska?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Jake just coming in like I'm trying to like clearly, I'm smiling up here, making a little joke, and you gotta fucking come in there with that negative energy.
Speaker 5: But back on Iowa, Ioways gotta be cursed from when was it they beat Penn State and they were ranked higher than Penn State and rush.
Speaker 3: Their yea, that's a rush their own field. This podcast is sponsored by Better Help Online Therapy. Life is full of stressor stressors. It doesn't matter who you are, what you have, what you're doing, what you have going on, your life is probably stressful. Just like everybody else's I know, for myself being involved, being in this little this little wheel of what's coming next for me, the unknown. There's a little bit of fear and anxiety that creeps in at times. And you may not be feeling down and out or depressed or anything like that, or like you're at a total loss, but if your stress is high, your temper is shorter than usual, or even if you're starting to feel strained in any of your relationships, you could probably use the chance to unload, unload the stress and get it out. Talk to someone who's completely unbiased about your life, someone who isn't going to judge you or take sides on anything. When there are things you can't tell anyone or feel like you can unload to family and friends, you need to unload it somewhere somehow, and that's where therapy can be very helpful for you. Better help is customize online therapy that offers video, phone and even live chat sessions with your therapists, so you don't have to see anyone on camera if you don't want to or you don't feel comfortable doing that. It's much more affordable than in perth in person. It's much more affordable than in person therapy, and you can start communicating with your therapists and under forty eight hours unload the stressors and get some unbiased feedback. You'd be pretty surprised at what you might gain from it, and also see if it's for you. There's a good quote I always like to lean on. It's hard to read the directions when you're inside the box, and that's what a therapist helps you do. They help you zoom out a little bit and see the big, bigger picture on everything. This podcast is sponsored by Better Help and our listeners get ten percent off their first month at betterhelp dot com. Slash busting. That's b E T T E r h e LP.
Speaker 1: Dot com slash bussing.
Speaker 3: Uh, what else do we have before we get into this Darius Rutger Interview.
Speaker 1: Anything?
Speaker 6: Um do you see? Mike Vick came out and said in mad in two thousand and four, where he was like under to believe the best player in the game, he used to never plays himself. He used to plays like Peyton Manning and pocket passers.
Speaker 1: I can believe that. I can believe that. Yeah, oh yeah me included.
Speaker 6: Good.
Speaker 4: Good for him honestly respect to him, because those guys are the war Were you playing a Madden online to the randoms you play with Michael Vick or Kyler? Fuck you?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But back in the day when it was oh four Madden, it was you had to play man up. You had to play like man up two man or man up three deep and have somebody spy the quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I still don't know how to do it. You gotta just play with the spies. That's also could I say, one quick thing, you had.
Speaker 3: To pick a D lineman too, because you needed your backers everybody else in coverage.
Speaker 4: One quick thing? You should have be allowed to play Madden. Why you shouldn't be allowed? I don't play, but why because I football player should not be allowed to play Madden. It's literally not fair. And my buddy the reason I like w Forest. My buddy played went to wake Forest. He was like a fifth string quarterback for four years, but he still like knows football. Like playing him in Madden is like not fair because he gets to he understands the defenses, and shit, he knows how to actually do stuff. I don't know how to do stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what what do you mean?
Speaker 3: Was alliance to playing rukie mode, playing rookie mode, you feel good about to play, you just should be allowed to play. It's not fair, like you know what, when to Spy went to blitz, I'm like, what he's a calling out plays? It's not Yeah, but some dudes, some dudes like like yourself. If you're really good at Madden, there's party that wants to play football players at first, so you I'm assuming you've lost to some.
Speaker 1: Guys because at first you're probably like, oh, you all show them. I'll show this football player that I can beat them at the're kind of their own game.
Speaker 4: It's literally not fair. They haven't unfair advantage of the game. It shouldn't be a lot you play football. No Madden for you in my world.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 3: Let's you know. We're just meeting each other now, so you won't have to worry about that. But back when it was, back when it was you.
Speaker 4: Can play FIFA.
Speaker 1: That's a fun game. NHL is a fun game. I haven't got en a FIFA in a long time.
Speaker 4: To al FIFA is well, I'm not really into soccer, but FIFA, get you going.
Speaker 3: I gotta get this flex out there. I was a top two point eight percent in the world of mad in one year. I forget what year was. I want to say subtle golf clap. I think it was twenty sixteen, fifteen six It was one of those years. That's when I retired. Hung them up, Hung up the cleats. Yeah, dud Darius was a great interview. We'll get onto that so we can knock these adds out because I don't have a whole lot of I don't have much time. I gotta get to this. Kenny Bell and I are doing this golf thing for the Big ten Network, and that should be.
Speaker 1: A lot of fun. But Darius Rutger was a was a phenomenal interview.
Speaker 4: I felt like, yeah, I mean that was that was scary. That was a timidator. I mean, you're sitting here with Darish Rucker. It's fucking Dirish Truck.
Speaker 1: Mister wagon wheel, Mister I did my best not to talk about.
Speaker 4: A whole lot exactly. Mean for me, it's mister Hooty to HOODI is like literally my favorite band. Like I was very shuck. It's that you were told not to call him Hoody. I was to say, said, don't call him Hoodia. I didn't call him whody, But I mean, yeah, it was. That was a timpating I don't get starstruck much that that was definitely a starstruck one.
Speaker 1: I want to say.
Speaker 3: It was just the energy too, like he's got the sports agency, Like he's got the negotiator vibe too, you know what I mean. And then we went toes on the Nebraska South Carolina. Everybody will get to listen. You said, it's a status sports argument, Like the people who listen to this, to this pot we got into Braska fans out there, They're gonna be yelling at the radio.
Speaker 4: It was a great argument, but the context of the argument was as bad as we're sitting here arguing Tennessee football, Nebraska football, South Carolina football, and Saint John's basketball. That's about the saddest four groups of colleges you can name. Right now.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what that we're proud. We're proud we put on for our squads. Anything I need to touch on that people might not know about Darius.
Speaker 4: Rutger, Oh, honestly, freaking the I had no idea about that. Frank Sinatra's birthday party, that's.
Speaker 3: I should listen. I was truly the peak I need to get out in front of this. Now I know who Freddie Mercury is. Of course I gotta get out in front of this now. It was it was I was trying to think of the question I was asking him. I don't know what equestrians was. I did not know what that was. I legitimately thought like, it sounds like a video game. I know it wasn't a video game, but I'm just saying that's what it sounded like. I did not know what a questrian championship was.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 3: That's how much Darius and I were arguing about South Carolina Nebraska. They apparently are equestrian champions and we're bowling champions and women's volleyball, which thank god, nobody fact checked me on the best volleyball team in the country.
Speaker 1: We are top five all the time. Though, we're gonna make tease.
Speaker 4: You should we should? You should make T shirts? Why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: With the boys?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 1: What do they call them? They call them the black Shorts. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: I think the one volleyball team is like the black shorts to the black shirts. No, he said, yeah, that's off the top. Everybody listening, that's off the top. Uh still playing ball. Still playing ball. Yeah, still playing ball. I'm dabbling with a lot more of the thought of just going all energy, focusing on busting with the boys and just calling it a day because it's a weird vibe. Sitting in the middle, sitting in the gray area each and every week, because I get to get to let everybody know, to give everybody some perspective.
Speaker 4: I got.
Speaker 3: I go at like a week at a time, Like the weekend comes, I'm like, all right, Monday's coming the next week.
Speaker 1: That's usually when you get a call to go work out or do something.
Speaker 3: There's been a couple opportunities that popped up that didn't ultimately didn't end up working out, But Monday always comes up, and I find myself kind of like, do I really want to go play?
Speaker 1: Do I really want to actually go play?
Speaker 3: Or do I like the idea more of playing than you know, actually playing the game of ball now being like a thirty two year old and feeling it every day. But yeah, right now, still playing ball. People were curious last week talking about since Ronan Sas dropped, if that meant I was going to play somewhere. It does not. It just meant the boys we were grinding for season two. All of season two of bus Off Sessions was happening last week, so the shop was shut down for all that to happen. There's what ten or eleven artists that came through. Yeah, and that's on YouTube, soyb, I'll be able to find that. Tailgate Sunday was all time. We moved it from the rooftop down to the second floor, had a good showing after our Spootober Halloween showing. I was a little like, you know, what's it going to look like? We've been doing these tailgates all the time? Now is it can start to get a little diluted.
Speaker 1: But there were there was a lot of people as a good showing merch being sung around. It was a good vibe.
Speaker 3: And while the boys are making their layoff push and number one seed push throughout the end of the year, I expect me to be pretty packed up as the boys fucking start to get ready for the month of December.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Another one this weekend against Jacksonville.
Speaker 3: Okay, Texans, either one either one brode either one bro Tailgate next Sunday gets the Texans be there. We're gonna be again slinging merch. We got some whistle Pick drink specials. Fire the Maple Old Fashion was my favorite.
Speaker 2: But yeah, dude, So.
Speaker 3: Without further ado, Darius Record episode Darius Rutger Episode Lenny Balls.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you being on, man.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me. This is a great time, Darius.
Speaker 1: Excited to have you on, Man.
Speaker 3: I'm a huge fan you, like, hey, legit, I know you get that a lot, but now that you're on Busting with the Boys, like you know, you're on something pretty prestigious as well. I just want you to know, as the host, I'm a huge fan. Did you you have fun with Glenny Balls in the Sunday Conversation?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did have a lot of fun. That was That was a lot of laughing going on in that room. Yeah, it was good to watching.
Speaker 3: Uh, And I'm also a Glenny I'm a fan of the Sunday Conversation. Well, but you guys, going into the Sunday Conversation, do you know at all what Caleb's gonna ask you?
Speaker 2: No, I had no idea, and he's funny.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: But if you watched them before, oh yeah, that's that's a big thing. Like there are a lot of times when people don't watch and they go in and they have absolutely no idea, Like pac Man Jones wanted to fight Caleb really, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was the one before before the week of the fight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we did it for Rocker Rowdy. He legit wanted to fight Caleb. He was scary and some people just don't know. Yeah, it's and sometimes Caleb doesn't yes crazy questions.
Speaker 3: He does, but you you would you would almost assume, like if you're gonna do a barstool segment, you would almost know what you're getting with somebody like Caleb.
Speaker 4: But the thing with pac Man two, yeah exactly, and like pac Man Effort. We watched some of the interviews with them, like we watched Ford Mayweather, we watched walk a Fu Flame and he was like, Oh, this is the funniest thing I've ever seen, and then he's fine with it. But going in blind he was mad.
Speaker 1: He had that dip into he was scary.
Speaker 4: He was ready to go.
Speaker 3: I thought the funniest question I've heard was Michael Irvin, what was it? He's like, journalists collect journals? What do analysts collect? Michael just started laughing his ass off, was like, man, how does he think of that?
Speaker 4: My favorite thing he's ever asked was fucking to Waka Flaka. In one of the Walker's songs, he says, I got a main bitch, a mistress, a couple of girlfriends. I'm so hood rich. Yeah, He's like, you're out it on yourself, just like we go to the next question.
Speaker 1: Oh that's hilarious. So Darius, what what's new with you? Man?
Speaker 3: You've been in the game so long. I can't wait to dive in and peel back some layers.
Speaker 1: But what do you you have?
Speaker 2: A single masterpiece? My masterpiece. I got a record coming out sometime next year. I hope you'll get out before the tour. But uh, you know, just trying to make music, man, trying to make music.
Speaker 3: You still are you still super? I mean you obviously are. But what has changed for you? Because you're what fifty fifty fifty five now? Like, what has changed for you throughout all of these years of making music? Do you still feel the same burn or like maybe the flame burns a little bit differently.
Speaker 2: It burns differently, but it's still there. You still want to you know, I'm still trying to make albums and trying to, you know, just make music that people want to listen to. And it's still all I've ever wanted to do since I was a kid was playing music. So that was like four all I've ever wanted to do. And to be where I am right now and to still be able to do it on the stage I get to do it on is unbelievable. So I'm always burning the fire trying to do something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you're going on that the intimate tour, right, Yeah? What made you want to do something like an intimate tour? Like get back to doing something a little more grassroots style, something like brought you a lot of joy back.
Speaker 1: In the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, we did you know who do? He went pretty much straight from the clubs to the arenas, and we didn't really get to play a lot of those theaters that are around town, those old theaters that are around town, like the Beacon and places like that and the Orpheum Theater, and we just didn't play them. And so we were out doing festivals and and everything. It was great, and we I wanted to go out and do something just different and something small and some intimate. Don't you don't have to worry but ticket sales. Let's just go out and yeah, play some songs and have a good time. And so we decided to do like twelve thirteen dates in the winter and theaters we got I was really excited about. So it worked out great.
Speaker 3: With when you were saying, like you went from like clubs to arenas and stuff, is you guys fast tracked pretty quickly, like essentially got to skip some of these things that you're going back and doing now. Is what was like the moment or like what were certain situations that happened with Hoody and the Blowfish to where you guys fast tracked all the way to selling out arenas.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, we had been a band for like seven years playing clubs and uh, a moment that that had just changed. The moment that changed it all was when we did Letterman. Yeah, the night we did Letterman that Friday, we couldn't you know, we couldn't get anybody to play our song outside of the Carolinas and Georgia and and we did Letterman and that Monday everybody was at it. It really changed our lives.
Speaker 1: Over how'd you guys get on Letterman?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a great story. Uh. He was driving home one night after filming the show, and the guy at not to see when I'm just an ali. But the guy I can't remember the big the big rock station in New York was. He was one of those DJs that just whatever he wanted, and so he heard hold My Hand. He wanted to play it on the show. And Dave was driving home and that's the only time the guy ever played the song at this point, and Dave was driving home and the guy played hold My Hand, and the legends that he pulled on the side of the road and called his booking agent and said, I want this is like a Tuesday, and said I want this is hooding the Wolfish band. And we were on that Friday. Oh got quick, Yeah, yeah, that is nuts, man. It was crazy.
Speaker 3: Well what was it like receiving the phone call, Hey, you guys are going to Letterman.
Speaker 2: We thought, I mean, we were such a Lettering fans. I mean we that was a religion for us. Watching Dave and and we I thought we thought our advantage was joking because we always messed with each other. Well we thought he was joking and he's like, no, let him in with you guys on Friday and the messed up thing. We had our biggest show in our hometown that same night, and so we're like a little worried, but uh, our label stepped up and said, we'll get you a plane.
Speaker 4: So they did both we did.
Speaker 2: Letterman got on the plane, landed in Columbia with a six car police escort to take us to the show.
Speaker 4: We were like, oh my god, though you know you're living as you started that story and saying ahead, I'm like, there's no way he'd played that show that night. That's crazy. That's what year was that.
Speaker 3: Ain't nobody in sex back then. Ain't nobody spread the word with you gotta get to a landline. Hey baby, we're going on letters.
Speaker 4: Honestly, want to talk about vibes, talk about immaculate vibes. Imagine being on that plane top five.
Speaker 2: That was a pretty awesome ride for us. It was just us and I think one of our two of our managers, one of our managers, and it was surreal. We just played Letterman Man. We had just going to a hometown show.
Speaker 3: Truly, I know, I know, Man, you just gotta be writing Cloud nine the whole wayte being like, hey, boys, like we might start taking off, And sure enough.
Speaker 2: That's what it was like, because I mean grunge was king when this was happening, you know, and here comes this little pop rock band from South Carolina telling everybody to hold my hand, you know. And so it was really a fight for us to even Like there was even one guy at our label who right now, if you were talking to me, would claim that he signed us. I've heard him, but but the.
Speaker 1: Ya if I'm that guy too, you know, I found them boys.
Speaker 2: He actually went to our label of our he went he went to our label president and told him that if if if Atlantic put Cracked Review out, they would be the laughing stock of music if you put it out. Yeah, Oh, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: It's so It's just it's so interesting here, and especially Number one saying ninety four.
Speaker 1: I'm like five years old in ninety four, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, and you're still like I was old and drunk in ninety four.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: Were there moments like with HOODI and the Blowfish. Obviously there's a plethora of moments, but were there certain moments that beat that initial like going going to Letterman taking off that stand out to you.
Speaker 2: I tell you a moment that we'll never forget. We were the Grammys and we figured we had to get Best New Artists, and when you're selling records, we had to give us best New Artist. So we don't get that. But you guys, you probably don't remember, but that's on Waterfall. But TLC was just massive that year, and so we thought we thought it was gonna win. There was up for six Grammys. We thought it was gonna win everything. And so they come up to the Best Vocal Performance by Duo on Group and we know it's our We just won the Best New Artists and so we've cloud nine. We got a Grammy. You can never take that away from us, you know. And we sit down because we have to. We think, you know, Waterfall is gonna win. And we sit there and kiss and make up for the first time since the seventies for the first time since the kiss, and Tupac's secure walk out to give this award, and so we're freaking out just because it's kissing Tupac. Yeah, kiss is one of the reasons I'm sitting there. Yeah, it was like, this is freaking Geanu sa full make up with Paul Stanley.
Speaker 1: And then around his house and all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you're freaking out, and they walk out and they do the whole you know, nomination and everything. And Tupac opened the envelope and looked at the camera and said, my boys, Hooty and the Blowfish. And when he said that, that's a moment that will never I mean, that was awesome.
Speaker 1: And then you have to walk up there and accept walking seven hugging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we hugged everybody, Yeah, hugging him tight.
Speaker 1: Trying to get away.
Speaker 4: He's like, I appreciate you, man.
Speaker 2: It was, it was, it was. That was an awesome moment.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Georgia Boot, Georgia Boot, Glenny, are you so excited about Georgia Boot?
Speaker 1: I love you. Georgia Boots the world's most comfortable boot.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna read a couple of these things and now I'm gonna need you to chime into world wherever Wherever Alex highlights, that's where you start chiming in. Georgia Boot is America's hardest working boot, and for over eighty years, George has been making boots that work as hard as you do. They now feel like, hey, we need to get the boys in some boots because Nashville they're full of hardworking motherers. I won't see the F word, but hardworking motherckers. Georgia Boot makes super good looking and super comfortable boots, so comfortable you never want to take them off.
Speaker 4: I mean, I like looking good even when I'm working, and these boots do that. No one works with boots more than me. Winter's coming around. You don't want those shitty boots, you know. Sometimes you get a bad boot as a hole in it. That'stead of me one too many times, you know, when it doesn't happen. Georgia boots they're.
Speaker 3: Very insulated as well, uh, Glenny. These boots hold up in any condition without sacrificing comfort or style. Georgia Boot offers the best work boots, wedges and loggers around. And whether you need a waterproof boot, steel toe, soft toe, square toe, mech gard, non puncture shank, non slip sole, They've got it all, Glenny. And you can head over to Georgia Boot dot com and use code busing that's b uss I n busting for a generous twenty percent off. Utilize that code boys. Christmas is coming up in your old man or that hardworking motherker in your life will want that twenty percent off Georgia Boot.
Speaker 4: That really is wild. I'm thinking, like, remember your first show with the Garden was that quick after that?
Speaker 2: Uh, the Garden was probably a year, probably a year or so after that. I do remember our first show because the first show we played two shows, and it was the first time you got on the stage of the Garden. It was it was religious, It really was. I mean, it's like the first time I played the Apollo. It was just it's religious. I mean, you can't believe you're getting to play these rooms that everybody plays it. And I mean if you get everybody who is somebody plays the Garden and you know, and you're not if you're not playing the Garden, you're so much.
Speaker 1: Man, that is nuts.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 1: Oh it was great, Like you're literally a rock star at this moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with your band too, like a group of guys because you guys are playing what what I read you guys were playing in a basement.
Speaker 1: It's a fraternity house or something like that.
Speaker 2: We played tons of Frattorney House and we were a band for seven years before we got a record deal. I mean, just playing every show. There was a couple of years we played like two hundred and fifty shows or something, and.
Speaker 3: How did you guys all know each other? Like, how'd you guys in college? Just in college and you guys could compliment each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were. We were living on the same dorm hall, me and Mark, our guitar player, And it was one morning. I thought everybody was in class and we had those prison showers, you know, yeah, just a bunch of shower right, And so I go in there and I just think I'm the only person in the dorm hall. And so I'm singing Billy Jewel's Honesty and I'm singing it to the top of my lungs. I mean, I'm really belting it out. And you know, you got the great sound in that back.
Speaker 3: It's acoustic in those locker room shower we call locker room showers, not prison showers.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but you know.
Speaker 2: Then but uh, And I walked out to go to my room and Mark came up to me and said, was that you singing? And I was like, yeah, that was me, And you said I play guitar. I was like, okay, let's get let's get together later see if we know any same songs. And the end of that day we did, and we knew a bunch of the same songs and we started playing together that day.
Speaker 3: And just imagine somebody comes in like, hey, boys, in seven years, you guys are gonna, yeah, be on a letter man, you guys are gonna be on private jets. Yeah, singing naked in a shower exactly.
Speaker 4: Seven years or so. That's crazy that that's a long time. It's a long time.
Speaker 2: It's a long time.
Speaker 4: Honestly, though, let me ask you this for let's say a month right now, if you could go back to those like first couple of years just touring down in the South and whatnot, that's what I feel like. The more money, more problems like that was probably the last time.
Speaker 2: People always ask me, I get this all the time. And you guys miss you miss when you guys with the biggest fan of the world. No, I missed when we were it was us against the world, playing the Winds, Ebber the Night and Mad Monk Tomorrow and you know, and then having to go up to Raleigh and play you know, the brewery. Those were the days.
Speaker 4: Man, that's awesome. And what was that just struck driving everywhere a vand that's awesome.
Speaker 2: The four of us and uh one another guy driving in the van really.
Speaker 3: Why why do you think that you missed those days? Because I feel the same way. Like sometimes I'm like, you know, people are oh, do you miss like the best days of this and that, and you you kind of go back and like, man, you know, I wish I was back to where you're like grinding through high school or like trying to find a way to get a scholarship, or when you're in college, you're like, man, if I could just get on a practice squad, or if I could just do this, and you're kind of putting these processes together, Why do you feel like you missed those days of traveling just with the boys, Because because obviously in those days, you're like, man, if we can just catch our break one day, we'll get we'll make it. Then you finally make it, and now you actually perspective as you're missing the old days more.
Speaker 2: And I think those days, the only thing that was really important was the band. It was the four you know, the four of us were making it. I mean, you know, I had girlfriends and everything, but you know they weren't important. And now you know, once you make it and you still get success and you're start getting married and having kids and everything just priority change and things aren't as important. You know, the music is important, but it's not as important because youve got you know, kids, and you got your wife and you got all that stuff. So it's becomes a different animal. But I remember how dedicated we were and how how close we were. That's the thing I missed the most. We were so close. It was one of those things where we go on the road for two weeks. You know, you come home, you drop everybody off, and then an hour later you're calling each other to meet up and go drinking that night. So I missed those days. But you know, I'm not gonna complain about these days.
Speaker 3: I'm just always intrigued and interested, like when people have those kinds of answers, because obviously you think back on probably characteristics you guys all had individually that your band had with you know, grit, shout out, chevy, grit, determination, reliable.
Speaker 2: That's actually one of the things that always really gets me, makes me laugh, is no matter what we do, the second the four of us get back together, we fall right into the same thing. I mean, it's shocking to me how it's the high and everything falls right back into what it was and we'd go do what we do, and you know, it's it's just it's what it is with the four of us.
Speaker 3: And like you said, like you wouldn't trade your life, like we wouldn't trade in this stuff. But when you do fall into those to those folds of like getting the boys back together, you're just like, man, like, this is actually what we enjoyed the most, Like all that other stuff.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 3: It's not like it doesn't mean nothing, but you're like, you know, you put it on this pedestal and then once you get there, like everything else, you're like, oh, man, this.
Speaker 1: Is the stuff we love the most about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean for me it was the shows were important and great, don't get me know. That was you know, getting the go play, but like it was everything else with the four of us. I mean, just how funny everybody was. The music I got turned on too, that I would have never heard, just riding around in the van, you know, just busting each other's balls and and and keeping each other in line and having every all the nastayers, all the people tell us, you know, you can't make it out of South Carolina, all the people saying, you know, grun just king you guys are never gonna get a record deal. It's gonna you know, all that stuff we had, We follow all that stuff, and I look at it now.
Speaker 3: And you know, all right, yeah, oh yeah, man, what when you guys separated? I don't know a whole lot about that. So maybe you can teach me or educate me on how you guys separate. It wasn't just because you were gonna people were gonna do solos and stuff like that. Was there a little bit of a breakup was It wasn't really a breakup per se.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest with If this hadn't happened, we just you know, we we've been playing theaters this week, and we'd still be playing. I'd be playing with but uh, one of the guys in the band just came up one day. We were on tour. We toured every summer. It was like a job, was what we did, you know. And he came up one day and called a band meeting, which we never have band meetings. Then it goes to my buss and goes we got a band, and so we go in and he said he didn't want to be in a touring band anymore, and we uh and we are.
Speaker 3: Because of other aspirations, okay, other things in his life.
Speaker 2: Other things in his life, and he just didn't want to do anymore. The four of us are abandoned. We can't we couldn't just go okay, We'll just get somebody else to play. That's just not what we do. And so I remember when he said it. I just thought, I guess I'm gonna go to Nasville now, because I've always talked about doing it, but there was never really any time to do it or think about it because were always doing hooty stuff. And I just thought I'd come to Nashville, and you see what happens.
Speaker 1: How nervous were you?
Speaker 2: Iant nervous because I don't think anything was going to happen. All I really cared was I wanted to make a country record. I would have been happy doing it at our studio in Charleston with my friends mm hm, you know, and my manager at the time, Doc McGee, who's just a legend in our business. I just I mentioned it to him. But I wasn't even looking for a record deal, just because I didn't think I could get one. I mean, who's going to give the black pop singer Solf kind of country music deal because back then there was anybody who look at me on country radio. And he got me a record deal. And once I got the record deal, I started talking to Mike Dungan, who's the president of university who signed me, and he was really wanted this to work. And I knew if I gave him a record, it was going to work. And you know, like he said, I gave him a record. Damn.
Speaker 3: What was it like being a black man going into the country world.
Speaker 2: I did. I did. They didn't think I would do it, but I said I would do it. I did a radio tour. I went to like one hundred and ten radio stations like three or four day.
Speaker 1: What do you do on these radio station tours.
Speaker 2: Go in and you play a song for them and their lounge, or you play a song on the radio, or you go in and you talk. If you're lucky, they'll put you on the radio and play your single. You know, so you're not even guaranteed to go on the radio that day.
Speaker 3: No, usually go on all these radio stations like let's hope they freaking put it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And it was so oh I'm out there for a couple of months one hundred and ten, and dude, I would go, there was in these three dudes, and I love these dudes like that right now, they're my they are my biggest supporters. Like if I need good number one, they'll play it two times in a row. Accidentally, you know, he's got a big supporters of my but uh, and I respect them so much for this. They said it the exact same way. All three They said, I don't think my audience, this is four to fifteen years ago. I don't think my audience will accept the black country scene was what I was told. And they were like, I'm gonna play it. I want to see you know, I'll play because I think it's a good song as a country song, and I you know, but I don't think they're gonna they're gonna accept it.
Speaker 1: And I was like, wow, yeah, how are you reacting to hear something like that?
Speaker 3: Like you're pretty probably like you know, you're probably surprised, but also at the same time, you're like, of course get it.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, they're telling.
Speaker 2: Me that you don't have to when you really think about it, I thought, you don't have to tell me. You could see it. You know, it had been twenty five years since Charley Pride had his last hit. In twenty five years, nobody had a top twenty five. That was you know, Treny Triggs and all those you know, Recy Palmer and all these people, all these black countries things I knew of. I thought one guy would have slipped up and had a top twenty five. And yeah, no one even had a top twenty five since Charlie Pride, and that that was crazy to me, you know, because I honestly, I know, I have a lot of naivity to me, and I don't see things sometimes because I didn't think about the black thing. I just wanted to make country music right, And then people start talking about it, and then I start researching and you realized, wow, it's really been twenty five years and the only person who did it before me was Drawing. You know, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: So how's your mental shifting? Like when when this stuff's happening or when it starts getting played on the radio. You getting good feedback, getting good feedback?
Speaker 2: You know, I think that the Hootie thing, as much as it hurt me, it hurt me helped me because people knew me and my reputation and and so they were giving it a shot and started playing, working and working, and then when don't Think I Think. When my first single don't Think, I Don't Think about It went to number one, was when you could see there was something different. And then the second song went to number one, and then the third song went to number one, and that's when I think other labels were like, you know, we were wrong. They are accepted. That's when you know King gets his deal and Jimmy it's his deal, and you know things start to change a little.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because, uh, the only real thing I know in like the history of music and bands breaking up in a solo guy going to do his own thing. Who's the Who's the lead guy? I sound ridiculous right now? The lead guy with Queen do the Mover?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Freddie Mercury, Sorry, I know terrible right now, he's.
Speaker 2: Got a podcast that he said who's the lead?
Speaker 3: When it's going in my head and I'm like, I want to ask no question. Listen, I'm being vulnerable in front of you guys right now. But anyway, watching the movie Bohemian Rhapsody and kind of learning about the history of Queen. When he breaks off and Freddy does his own thing, he obviously doesn't have as much success as he did when the band was together. You're now you basically essentially made another career going off doing your thing solo. So did you ever were you ever nervous about going on your own from that nature, because you're like, yeah, I got I had some success from Hooty and the Blowfish, but so did Freddy with Queen, but it didn't pay off for him, and it's payoff for you. And you're a black dude in country music bringing this stuff in a in a country world.
Speaker 2: I was once it really started, I was really nervous because you there's, like you said, who leaves a band that had that much success and actually has success and not just that in a whole different genre. Yeah, man, you know, and and especially going to the you know, the they call what we call them carpetbaggers and country music. You know, those pop stars like you saw a flush of it after I made it, like these big pop names saying they're gonna make their country record, you know, and country fans see through that harm. Yeah, And it's been one of those things where I was worried about it, but I really knew win or lose. You know, I was going to get to make my record and I had the label behind me, so I figured I had a good chance to win. And if I if I, if I delivered the music.
Speaker 6: Today's world where like are we accept that artists are more diverse than their musical taste, where they can kind of cross genre and everything. Do you think that if you came up with Hoody and the Blowfish now you could have also done the country thing at the same time, or do you think you still would have had to kind of like graduate from that chapter.
Speaker 2: Oh? I think if hood he came up right now, we'd have to be a country band. We would have to be I mean, there's there's no room for rock and roll in pop, in the pop world at all.
Speaker 4: I don't even know a band right now.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't man skin and the only main skin or whatever. And the only way to know because I saw the Stones the other day.
Speaker 4: With the Stones, the only band I could really name off the top of my head that's like still playing, that's on the come up is that credit Van VP band. It's crazy, but like I really don't know any bands. It's really not a thing.
Speaker 2: It's crazy to me to look at the music landscape and to realize that rock and roll is dead because for our lives growing up, rock and roll was king, you know, it was, it was, And now you look at it and there's not a rock band on pop station. It's all urban and pop stuff. And you know the tagal country song that crosses over, but it's crazy like band like us, like us, kind of CRUs any band like that. If we came out today, we'd be we'd be country because Zach Brown band in ninety four would have been selling half million records a week on pop radio. He would have been killing in on pop radio. I mean, but you know today he's a country Do.
Speaker 1: You think that stuff will come back around? Like do you think Rockell?
Speaker 2: I hope so, but I don't. I don't see it.
Speaker 4: I don't think so either. I think it's it's scary, Like I'm trying to think right now off the top of my head, like a rock band playing in a Rita tour right now, there's nothing.
Speaker 2: There's none that's not a nostalgia band. There's not one band who's like all right right right now? You know, I'm a room five. But you know, when was the last time they were rock.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, like even me, I'm younger, I have like my playlists where I get like my banger's going before I go out a little pregame action. Yeah, there's not one new rock song on there cause I don't even I don't know where to find them.
Speaker 2: Kids don't care. The kids aren't looking for and don't and they obviously don't care because if they were looking for it in today's climbing, you can find it, you know, it's so easy to get on line and find whatever. But they don't want it. They want rap and they want pop, and they want you know, that great Post Malone right who's right in the middle and both you know.
Speaker 4: That's DMO. People love you DM.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But then also but that's the method thing. They also want to you know, they also want Miranda Lambert and they also want Luke Colmbs because nowadays you always hear that you some guys, you know, somebody to open the car and their Post Malone's playing, and right after that there's a country. So right after that there's walk a fockle, you know, and that's what the kids are doing now. But there's no room for rock and roll.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'd venture to guess, like the new rock and roll theoretically is the country music. Yeah, yeah, I got I think my first country guards that I went to. I went, like Jason Aldean, probably like ten years ago. I said to myself, it was just a a rock concert pretty much with some access. That's absolutely it's absolutely what.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts on post Malone's cover only want to be with you?
Speaker 2: I thought it was absolute genius. I posted man, I was for some reason.
Speaker 1: I was like, is he about say garbage?
Speaker 2: Post Man?
Speaker 1: That was absolute guard.
Speaker 2: I think I really thought it was genius. I mean, he's a buddy mine and he said, you know, send me a know. I was got a surprise for you, and it comes out and it was, you know, have somebody cover HOODI song, somebody that big to cover Hoodie song and then do it the way he did it with such respect to the song. I mean that was that was pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, it's got it's it's kind of like your guys' legacy going through generations.
Speaker 2: Man, it's pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: What uh? I see?
Speaker 3: You also have a sports agency, Yes, I do. How do you get into all this stuff outside of music? When did you start to find time to tap into other interests, like while you were being an artist.
Speaker 2: The last probably really ten or so years, I've really started to try to do other stuff just because I get a lot of offers and I always say no because it's gonna be too much work. Now, like with the sports agency. When that came around and and I wanted to get into that with my buddy, that was just a no brainer. I love the NFL, and you know, we only have the NFL. We only have NFL players and golfers. Yeah, and my two favorite things in the world NFL and playing golf. And you know, I'm not that guy. I'm not an agent. You know, I'm not even that you know, I'm that guy who just talks to the guys and you know you want to talk about you know, if you want to talk.
Speaker 1: To the closer to the closer.
Speaker 2: I've closed a couple of deers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll get Darius. I know we're singing in living rooms of the family.
Speaker 2: I know we're about to close. When I get that phone, go hey, could you be on a zoom call tomorrow? I was like, Okay, I got a close. Yeah, I could do that. I could do that.
Speaker 3: What what makes you such a huge Dolphins fan. I'm not a Carolina fan.
Speaker 2: I was five years old and my whole family I had, my mom had two sisters, and it was fifteen of us kids, and we were having a party for the Super Bowl and everybody is over at our house, and so I'm a five year old. I go around and I ask everybody who they're pulling for the Dallas. It's seventy one. I think seventy one Dallas Miami. That's all my family who they're pulling for. And everybody says the Cowboys and white sheep of the family. There of course goes, okay, I'm pulling for the Dolphins. I'm pulling for Dolphins. And I remember when they lost, crying like a little bit. I cried like a little baby. I was so upset that they lost. And then the next year, that's just.
Speaker 1: Because you wanted to be the loan I want to be the guy.
Speaker 2: Walking three hours pantom And then the next year I started playing Pop Warner and they went undefeated. So it's easy to be a fan. Your team's winning every week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then they go undefeated.
Speaker 3: Oh, Crosscutry mortgage shut out the boys across Country Mortgage. I love him so much, I'm a little biased when I read this. Uh, Glenny, go ahead and take it off my chest.
Speaker 4: So the rates that cross Country Mortgage you're unbelievably low. Don't pay the bake more money than you need to. Our friends Across Country Mortgage make it super simple to figure out how much you can save on a monthly basis and over the life of your loan. These numbers can be staggering, and you don't know how much you can unless you actually talk to you an expert and figure it out. Click your swipe up to learn more by your refinance and connect with your team over at cross Country Mortgage. You will make the process as painless and simple as possible and help you keep your money in your pocket so you could go to fun things, Go to Gabe, go to the big game, enjoy that. That's why cross Mortgage is here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and guys, rates are at all time lows and it may never get this low again.
Speaker 1: It's called inflation. Call today for a fast free quote.
Speaker 3: Our partners will save you a ton of money over at cross Country Mortgage. Call today and our friends at cross Country Mortgage will give you a free home valuation that is free just for calling. Reach out to them and see what they can do for you. And when you connect with cross Country Mortgage, tell them that Barstool Sports and the Boys sent you. Go to cross Country Mortgage dot com, forward slash barstools and learn more about your future homebuying experience or refinance your current mortgage. Cross Country Mortgage LLC and MLS three zero two nine all loan subject for ut A writing roa approval www dot NMLS Consumer Access dot org.
Speaker 4: You gotta get your preno on this. We mentioned this in the Sunday conversation before uh Darius asked him if you'd rather see the Game Cocks winnst Championship or Dolphin Super Bowl, and he said he's seen the Dolphins Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: What you say, or it's gonna be a national championship? Yeah, yes, you guys like we gotta win the national champion.
Speaker 1: That's like big enough. He throws his hand around. That's like big enough.
Speaker 4: Like I'm a st. John's just give him the sec cham Sat John's basketball fan. I know when never won in the national Championship, but one of the big East ones would That would be pretty legit. I feel like that's the same way.
Speaker 3: With yeah, but that's a little disrespectful. This is a this is a South Carolina. This is South Carolina game cock. This isn't no disrespect. But who's Saint John? Who?
Speaker 2: You played basketball?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: The biggest we played we played football in the SEC. If we win the SEC, we should be winning the national championship.
Speaker 3: The people love they said St John Saint John's.
Speaker 1: He said, man, you know a big east like who who is sat?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: Everyone knows who Sat John's.
Speaker 4: We're a good basketball school, were good in the eighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but come on, man.
Speaker 2: I mean yeah, so was tang.
Speaker 4: I would be more than happy with the biggiest championship.
Speaker 2: I would not be happy with the nasty championship and not a national championship that would not people.
Speaker 3: On the so so South South Carolina National Championship or Miami Dollars Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I've seen two Dolphins super Bowls. Wo have to be South Contern National And he says, I haven't seen.
Speaker 4: Them about before. I feel like it doesn't count. If you were six and seven, Absolutely I'm a Giants fan. I was, I was, I was ten and fourteen don't count.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: Like growing up, I was I was a I was a Dallas fan and I was growing up in the nineties, so I feel weird claiming.
Speaker 1: Like I got this. I got to see the Dallas time.
Speaker 2: Them both, and yep, I actually found over.
Speaker 3: Like I remember eating little smokies in the living room watching me like, yeah, the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: You know, let me rerise it. You saw them, you didn't get to enjoy them.
Speaker 2: I talked trash my friends for three hundred and six seven hundred.
Speaker 1: In elementary school.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what we did, was talk trash.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, there's got to be the line for the Dolphins winning.
Speaker 2: Electric football set Dolphins, and every time somebody's house, I can say the World champions the World champions are coming over.
Speaker 1: What were you gonna ask for Nebraska?
Speaker 4: I was about to say, like, would the cornhotsk Pans be hyped over a Big Ten championship today?
Speaker 2: They should be.
Speaker 3: Wa we're just taking some random as of shots all were clapping about back there. I got to play in a Big Ten championship and that was what that wasn't a that wasn't even a decade ago. Like, when's the last time once you said you wouldn't be happy for South Carolina SEC championship. When's the last time South Carolina's got gone to an SEC championship once? But you said you wouldn't be happy for a conference I want if we win the SEC, we should be winning the So you think I should be happy with just getting a Big Ten title when we've been to the Big Ten championship and we haven't even been in the Big team. We haven't even been in the we haven't even been in the Big Ten conference for like ten years.
Speaker 1: We've already been once. What's that mean? We got more We got more teams in the top ten right now than the SEC does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but none of y'all want to come play anybody success, man, We'll take y'all. Come play Vanderbilt. Okay, get out.
Speaker 1: Here, man, such a that's like a school of the that's like a school of the blind.
Speaker 3: Anybody's telling you we can beat Vanderbilt right now, that's how bad it is.
Speaker 2: We all No, man, y'all put put Vanderbilt on your schedule. Get upset for home coming.
Speaker 5: We be.
Speaker 2: We beat dogging Vanderbilt.
Speaker 6: What is this?
Speaker 4: Go do?
Speaker 2: What do you you gonna play football? We're Catholic basketball school. Partial here. We want to get play football, argue.
Speaker 1: Like you got Bama.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, well we got you what you guys got.
Speaker 1: You guys got a Davion Clowney highlight hit. What else?
Speaker 2: You guys got a lot of great fans, great women's basketball team. Yeah, we have the best women's basketball team in the in the country.
Speaker 1: We got the best women's volleyball team.
Speaker 2: In the We have the best strian team in the country.
Speaker 3: We got the best bowling team in the country with our girls riding the horse. Not everyone doesn't think I'm a real last corn huster to tell you, man, dude, seriously, our questrian team won the question.
Speaker 2: They won the question of national championship, and I get I get all the rings. Like when we win the championship, I'm a big supporter, so I get all the rings. The Equestrian National Championship ring was so gaudy. It was a freaking super bowling. It was so good.
Speaker 1: You walk around like, oh, I put it.
Speaker 2: On to go to games. I walk around like, I think it's huge from the golf course with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the final stage your life, you're be the A D.
Speaker 2: That's my goal, the a D. Just acting. I don't want to dub for a long time, just like six months to some ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two music.
Speaker 3: Careers, getting a sports agency. He knows the game with athletes, a huge fan. Sounds like a booster since he gets Natty, since he gets Natty rings. Yeah, legitimately, though, what is it?
Speaker 1: Question?
Speaker 2: The question?
Speaker 1: The question? What is that sport?
Speaker 2: Ladies ride horse? There is? It's so good. Mine's got a big ruby in the middle.
Speaker 1: A question. Yeah, I'm like thinking of a video game, like yeah, like a questrian. I don't know, like the it has the galactic questrian.
Speaker 2: This horseback riding.
Speaker 3: Oh for real, what did they call horseback riding? Because with the horseback riding chance of the country, we are?
Speaker 2: We are?
Speaker 4: Does sound the horseback ride?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're champions, champions.
Speaker 1: How do you How do you win an a questrian title?
Speaker 2: You ride horses really well?
Speaker 1: And then it's just like the look of the horse like you're kind of like it's kind of a dog show.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not judging it. He's like, I just got the ring. The ring, that's all I'm doing. The most recent ring you've gone, Uh, the there are I'm I'm the honorary coach of the of our women's golf team. So we uh won the SEC championship, and I got.
Speaker 4: A I gotta take like a Tom Brady picture.
Speaker 2: I do, right, they see that. Don't mess with our girls ride horses. You can't.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: And you're the you're the women's coach of the you said the golf team, yes for South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Yes, And you guys want an SEC title, yes, but.
Speaker 2: We got you know, Hoody the Wolfish. We have a golf tournament called the Hoodie That it's a men's a men's college golf tournament. Okay, we have last year, I think we had ten of the top twenty five. And I have a golf tournament that helped the head called the Darius Rucker Invitation, which is a women's college golf tournament. And you know, South Carolina hosts, and so I'm the honorary cap. I'm the honorary coach of the team, which is very good because I'm a very good golf teacher. And so you know, you know what sucks about I got I gotta play with you. I play with these girls, you know, I played with them once a year, and you I get out there and there's some girl who's five to hitting the ball, thirty ars.
Speaker 1: You're teaching her to do that?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, man, he's got He's got me fired up because he triggered me with all that big ten Nebraska talk. I'm just saying, and Jack, you're back there clapping and laughing. But let's not act like Tennessee's like. Let's not act like we're proud of Tennessee right now.
Speaker 5: I mean, we're putting up a fight more than Nebraska three and seven two by weeks.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, we're the best three where the we are the best three win team in the country.
Speaker 2: Though, who do you guys have?
Speaker 1: Are we about to really go toe for toe on these schedules right now?
Speaker 2: You're not You're not gonna go toe to toe on the SEC schedule? Are you kidding?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 1: We go SEC schedule?
Speaker 2: Can you guys beat Vanderbilt? Yes, but you can't.
Speaker 1: Yes, we could. You could bring up the schedule.
Speaker 2: We would take the I would take Vanderbilt, you name it right now.
Speaker 3: You're just talking out of your ass right now, Darius, I was gonna play wagon we after this on the way to the golf course. I ain't playing it no more. Man, No who you got be? You beat a n c State. Okay, be by Kentucky. They're not even that nice. What they're not? I will say, you put up a competitive fight against A and M because A and M beat Bama.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: You guys put up a good fight there, George.
Speaker 2: We put up ten points on Georgia. That's like fifty against anybody else.
Speaker 1: You guys lost to South Carolina, Jack.
Speaker 5: Tennessee, Yeah, Tennessee schedule. We didn't lose South Carolina. We beat South Carolina about like thirty five.
Speaker 1: Is this the right schedule?
Speaker 2: That's old?
Speaker 1: You haven't fired up for?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We beat them last year. They cheated this year.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: You sound like me.
Speaker 1: Ever, we had a podcast.
Speaker 3: We played Oklahoma, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, all top ten teams, and collective we lost to them one hundred and eight?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 1: Ninety two?
Speaker 4: Is the saddest sports conversation it.
Speaker 7: Is your team's got three wins and you're trying to Yeah, Darius and Will go toes on South Carolina Nebraska, the proudest guys of their schools, just arguing.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would I wish we played Nebraska this year?
Speaker 1: I do too, man, And what sucks is JP is a huge South Carolina fans.
Speaker 2: So we're playing year that would definitely be homecoming.
Speaker 3: We mind the Bollway. I was gonna say, a ball game. We ain't making a bowl game? Are you guys going to make a bowl game. It's like I said to my son the other day, we'd be Florida. My son's huge game cock Dad, we might, we might went out.
Speaker 2: I was like, we probably won't win out, but we'll probably want one more game to a shitty bulgame that you're gonna make me go to.
Speaker 3: You'll took them up with the gifts. Maybe you'll get the gifts the bowl game gifts?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, always what gets you there? What gets you to your game? Like SEC championship, you're obviously going. How often do you go every and go to every game?
Speaker 2: I can go to. I'm not working, I'm at the game, the bowl game. I'm going, Oh that's awesome, we're going.
Speaker 1: So you travel? Do you travel to their away games to?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: I won't go to away games. That's just a flight waiting to happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a fight.
Speaker 2: Some exceptions, though, I don't go to any away agains.
Speaker 4: Never my l s U.
Speaker 2: I haven't been a l s U. But but like like, I won't go again. I've been a game of Clempson. I'll never do that again. I'm never going to game called game and Clemson ever again.
Speaker 1: And though those are those are that's the rivalry, right Absolutely, you'll never go to.
Speaker 3: A Clemson game ever again. That means you've went to a game and it ended badly. Didn't end badly, it just could have ended. It looked like for a minute it was gonna like we were gonna be in a fight. That was like, I'm you know what I'm thinking, I'm about to get in a fight at a football game.
Speaker 2: Is this really happening?
Speaker 1: Were you really getting triggered like that?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, Oh we were ready. Oh I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: If we're gonna go, you know, Darius is ready.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna hit me first, I'm gonna tell you that much. If I'm ready to go, if we're gonna go, okay, yeah, I'd rather not, especially a fifty five.
Speaker 4: Right now?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: What what else we got? What else we got on the dock at alex.
Speaker 2: Let Every single key and peel skin I've seen on me have been absolutely genius. It's so hilarious. Bro.
Speaker 1: They are so funny. They're so funny.
Speaker 2: I mean they I mean when that show ended, I was so upset because they were so funny, and they do like this was hilarious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember, Hey, that dude got my guitar. He's making incredible movies. Now, like they're both doing their own thing.
Speaker 2: They're really doing great stuff.
Speaker 4: Talk about a career change, going from get Out from Kemp.
Speaker 2: This get Out was great. Right before they did this, they came to Nashville and said, yeah, we go to Nashville and we land. We got off the plane in the first thing, somebody said to me, we love Darius.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'll shout out the boys over a rollback.
Speaker 3: Speaking of roadback, I know I'm not wearing a rowback polo right now that you guys see on camera. I'm about to change into it because I gotta go do this little golf outing with my boy Kenny Bell for the Big ten work Big ten Network. Not the flex, but to also flex but rollback active, where you all know rollback best fit, best feel. It's football season, the best season, which means it's also hoodie season. Luckily for you guys, rollback just restock their performance hoodies, and I'm not shitting you when I say these are the absolute softest, highest of quality hoodies in the game. The material is out of this world soft and the stretch is a match. And nobody does hoodies like Rowback Roadback is.
Speaker 4: I'm truly, truly, truly for us, us, the fats, the larger people. It's tough to find a good hoodie or the three quarter sleeves. We have those Rowback. I wear them all the time, true size, so comfortable, amazing.
Speaker 3: I love how you switch your voice too, to make this a very genuine talking about comfortable, that's a genuine It's a genuine I love Roback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can keep going, oh yeah, I love Rollback. And if you love it too, use the code busting b U S s I N on roadback dot com for a generous twenty percent off your first order. That's spelled r h O b A c K dot com. That's twenty percent off your first order on all polos, q zips, hoodies and t's with code Bustin' hop on the roadback train now because it's taken off, So go check that mat at roadback dot Com. Do it for the boys and honestly, just be Comfy got roback. It's Comfy's company as hell.
Speaker 3: Oh something that's too that I wanted to ask you about because you've had your you've had your careers. I know you're you're like older in the game now, so you could probably give game seeing all this Taylor Swift stuff unfold, What are your thoughts on that, like her having the remake albums? Like, I know, it seems like anytime we've had a country artis so on, Like we've had a couple of rappers on, We've had a couple of country artis on, it seems like they're very different industries when it comes to like the labels and owning rights and owning music. We've had Jelly Roll on, who's like an independent guy. But what do you what do you make of all that to where she's remaking her albums because of who's the guy? What was the guy's name, Alex, I know you're well versed on this. Scooter Ron Scooter Brown wouldn't sell her the music or he sold them to a different label without her consent?
Speaker 1: And does that stuff happen a lot within the country world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know the deal when you sign your first deal, it's always a bad deal. Really, A lot of people get screwed by that. But I love what she's doing. I mean, and the great thing about Taylor when she does stuff like that, she just it. It works. It's perfect, you know, because everybody's going to go out and buy the record, even though it's basically the same record, but they're going to go buy it because she's a freaking superstar and I love what she's doing. We record everyone and put them out and you know, then for all the stuff that's going on after that, you know, she owns the Master's perfect.
Speaker 3: Have you been like going from Hoodie and the Blowfish to you being solo? Were there certain things you looked at getting into the getting into the country world or.
Speaker 1: Getting in working with new labels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the fine print of stuff being like, hey, you know, I'm gonna now that I'm a little bit more established, I know I'm not gonna.
Speaker 1: Get out with this.
Speaker 2: Every deal, even my first country deal, Every deal is is I know what I want to own, I know what I'm I'm I'm willing to part with and I know, but so if it's not right, we're just not gonna do it, because you know, you want to own your you want to own your music. You want to you want to make money off your music, not just the label making all the money off the music. So it's it's really important, especially in the digital age because so hard to make money on records right now. Yeah, you know Spotify spinning you and they're paying us points zero zero zero zero zero one cent every time somebody plays one of our songs. Really, yeah, I mean that's that's nothing, you know. I mean, you gotta you gotta get a billion spins to make one hundred thousand dollars or something. You know, it's crazy goodness.
Speaker 3: I thought it was interesting too because, uh, the scooter guy wanted the Scooter braun. He wanted her to sign like an NDA, saying he couldn't say she couldn't say another bad word about him and he would sell.
Speaker 1: Her the music. Is that right, Alex.
Speaker 3: But he wanted her to sign an NDA to where he couldn't he couldn't say anything negative. Like, I think it's interesting like being in those worlds, like you just have no clue that that's the stuff that goes on, like when you're working with big media or big labels or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a lot of stuff behind the scenes that that that's sleazy, and that's that's that's just different and and you you know, it's part of the business. We didn't none of us invented it. We'd just living it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, coming from a coming from a band with who they in the Blowfish and going to solo in the country industry, especially in an industry where they're huge on your your likeness, the way you present yourself, the way you carry yourself. Did you ever have to get over any hurdles getting into the country world. I as far as like, hey, don't say this, or you got to be like that, because in country if you say one wrong thing, like there could be so much control over you to where they can take you off a lot of things.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's amazing. Country music is amazing. How how how how you can get canceled like the Dixie Chicks thing, you know, I mean they were the biggest thing in the business and then one day and they weren't on the radio at all, you know, And that that was always crazy to me. So no one's ever said to me don't say this or don't do that. I mean, I've always been a guy who keeps most stuff close to my best and I'm not you know, I'll talk and have fun and laugh and everything, but I'm not gonna right, just get serious. I'm not gonna sit out here and talk politics with you guys.
Speaker 1: That sports agency.
Speaker 2: So I just no one had to tell me because it's who it's really who I am. So I just I just go. I do what I do and be who I am, and if you don't like it, don't lest them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awesome, that's interesting.
Speaker 3: I've always been fascinated with that stuff because anytime we have an artist come on, some will give us like your Jelly Jelly roll. I don't know if you know who Jelly role is, but he'll tell us like a lot of stuff because he's like an independent guy. And you can kind of tell some people who might come on where they're younger that they might not just be able to say a whole lot because of things that they have to sign or things that they've given given away, Like I can't, Hey, I can't speak on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know where I was going with that.
Speaker 2: Wheel ride, Like, dude, it's so funny. I heard that song for a decade and I never thought about cutting it, and I was, uh, because the old Crow version is so bluegrass. It's such a bluegrass song. I never even thought of it as a country song. And so I've met my daughter's high school talent show and I'm just I'm making my record. I fly from Nashville to the to the talent show. I'm flying back to gild the studio the next day, and and the faculty bands playing. It's like three teachers, two janitors. They were playing music in between them, and so they played wagon Wheel and I'll never forget that. They play wagon and I stopped playing. I was like, oh man, I never heard like that. They get to the first chorus and I go, I think I'm gonna cut that. And so I text my my my producer, and I'm very coachable, very coachable. I text my producer and I gay, man, remember that wagon Wheel song. And he texted me like, yeah, man, I don't know if we should mess with that. He's like, you know a lot of people have cut it. I don't know if we should mess with it. And I texted him back, Hey man, I'm not asking you, I'm telling you we're cutting this Wagonwool song. Tomorrow when I get back, and he was like, okay, we can cut it. And I remember cutting it and I thought it was cool. But then when Lyddy and a Bellum got on it, I really thought this song might get hit. And so we put out the first single and it goes number one and there we're then a meeting about the second single and one of the guys who I love to death, somebody said, well, what about wagon Wheel? And he said, we are not putting wagon Wheel out. He's like, yo, that's just so cliche, and so we he loses and we put it out and wagon Wheel is the fifth best selling song in the history of country music.
Speaker 3: That's the that's your song. That's went like a time platinum, right, So I think it just went ten.
Speaker 2: But the thing about it is, you know I didn't write it. It was one of those songs that you always say that people always say, beware what you cut because you might have to play it for the rest of your life. I have to play that song for the rest. Yes, they're playing one song in the show and have to be.
Speaker 3: It is like that.
Speaker 4: That's the the other day I was a kid Rocks Friday night and I walk in on like two am. They're closing down or whatever. This band's playing Free Bird, and I'm like they have to pay these guys so much money to play.
Speaker 3: Free Bird, right, absolutely, yeah, man, Yeah, that is the That is the banger, bro. All right boys, Roman shout out the boys a Roman no free shoutouts boys. Most guys have tried different ways to last longer in bed. They try thinking about baseball, You try thinking about Glenny balls, and it doesn't always work out. The folks at Roman on onlinees men's health company, are changing the game with their Roman Swipes, the secret to longer lasting sex. Roman Swipes are clinically proven to make you last longer in bed. Their effective, easy to use, fast acting, and don't require a prescription. Roman can ship swipes to your door in a discrete, unmarked packaging package, and each Swipes packet is small enough to hide in your wallet for whenever you need it.
Speaker 1: They're super easy to use.
Speaker 3: Just take the swipes out of the packet, look at the little boy downstairs, swipe it on, dry them off, and you're good to go.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: Go to get Roman dot com slash busting to get your first month of swipes for just five dollars. Would you pay five dollars for better, longer lasting sex. I believe you would. That's get Roman dot com slash busting.
Speaker 4: Ye brother, five bucks, that's a deal for longer lasting sex.
Speaker 2: Look. Oh oh absolutely, that was a funny thing. Somebody, one of my buddies, we were hanging out there then he said it to me. And you know, when you're in the middle of your you don't really think about your career. You just think about what you're doing. And my buddy we were drinking and he's like, you know, I was looking something up and he said, you realize that your voice is on the number five best selling country song and the number eighth best selling record of all time And I never even thought about it that. Well, wow, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 1: How does that make you feel?
Speaker 2: Oh? Wow, wow, that's crazy. It's crazy to think about that. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: I mean all the humble beginnings and you're like of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crazy, like of all time? Bro? Yeah, crazy man.
Speaker 1: That's incrazy, dude, the way around the banger.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Could you imagine like going like fifty five years old and you have you have something that is established as one of the greatest of all time. It'll live on for you know. However, long.
Speaker 1: Thoughts on Jimmy Allen winning New Artists of the Year.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it. He deserves it. I think he's one of the best guys going. And I was really Jimmy's real good friend. I was really happy for him. Yeah, I won Best Hardist at forty one Let's go, So it was really great to see. I mean, I was so proud. I'm happy for him, and he deserved it. And he's going to be a superstar. Jimmy's going to be a superstar. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Everyone's so always so fascinated.
Speaker 3: I know when I was listening to interviews with you, everybody's always so fascinated to talk to you about your friendship with Tiger Woods because you got to meet him.
Speaker 2: At what was it, eighteen years eighteen when we started hanging out.
Speaker 1: How old were you?
Speaker 2: I was twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Dang, and you're getting to know, like you know, the goat golfer.
Speaker 2: Tiger and are pretty close, you know. I got to I sing at his wedding, singing his dad's funeral. He's my brother, and uh, getting him to start to know him at eighteen before everything happened and then to watch everything that the explosion, and to watch every the implosion, and to be a part of all that, and it's down to be to know where he is right now in his life. He's just an amazing human being. And he's a great, great guy who I love daily. And I get him and he makes me laugh and and he's, uh, this is this is the kind of stuff Tiger does to you. Okay, we're playing golf, and we're playing for some pretty good money, and of course he just beats me down. And you know, I mean, he's talking trash from the first wing to on, talking to the way the point the one time I stopped and I said, dude, I'm number seven hundred eighty seven thousand in the world and you're number one, and you're sitting here talking shit. And we go and we finish, and I pay him, and I get I'll start driving back to my hotel, and I pay him, and I get a phone call. And his phone call is him just itemizing what he's going to spend my money.
Speaker 1: How many times do you guys play golf?
Speaker 2: A lot?
Speaker 3: We play a lot of you guys bet on it every time every time I'm not Yeah, I'm out there to what's the most not it doesn't have to be to him, but what's the most money you've won and lost on the golf course.
Speaker 2: The most money I have won on the golf course. I think I won twelve grand ones playing a game that I shouldn't have been playing. And the most I've lost, I think I lost six ones. Okay, yeah, was it from Tiger? No, Tiger, we know he's taking a lot, but he hadn't. He didn't take six. I got, I got, I got, I got a.
Speaker 1: Oh, because you imagine Tiger just taking six grand from him? Like I beat you man?
Speaker 2: For Yeah, have you ever beat him? No, I've never beat him. This is this is Tiger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, but he's out there competing every time.
Speaker 2: This is this is how great he is. Okay, he's beat me. We're playing one day and he's beat me. We're on eighteen and I tell him, all right, man, I will get one of the Yeah, I'll say, if if you win this, I'll give you three times. But if I would, you gotta pay me half, all right, And so we go. We hit our drive. I hit my ball of about eight feet because of course I was hitting before him because he was sixty yards in front of me and ball about eight feet and he hits it and he short sized himself into the trap and he short sided. I mean, the pin's right there. He's in the trap in the front of the green and he goes up there and I'm like, you know, I'm like, make this punt. I'm getting this is I'm about to talk. She wanted to talk some ship and he got up on that saying shot, looked down there, hit it. It took one hop and winning and he looked at me and said, I told you're never gonna fucking beat me.
Speaker 1: That is fucking crazy, bro. He just looks many.
Speaker 2: I was, and yes, and I missed the putt.
Speaker 4: Oh that's funny, ship man.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, he's a great guy. Man.
Speaker 1: You guys, uh, you guys have anything for Darius.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you sang it Frank Sinatra birthday party? Is that true?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, I'm a huge Sinatra guy. And uh. And so we're we're you know, we're huge at the time. And I meet George Slater, who's who was a who was Frank's producer, and George and I met and done something. So we get a phone call we're in the studio, get this phone call that they want us to play Sinatra's eighties birthday. Said okay, So I said, I want to do Lady as a Tramp. I said okay. And so they sent us this arrangement. Whoever arranged it. I got a handed to him. It sounded the arrangement he gave us sounded exactly like only want to be with you, But it was Lady as a Tramp and it was great and everything. But I told him. I called George, George, we don't want to do that. He's like, what are you gona do? I was like, I want to do the Quincy Jones live at this saying sixty four arrangement Lady. He said, yeah, let's do that. And so we go and we're going and it's Frank's eighty and it's a it's it's a who's who from Dylan to Rickles, it's a Springsteen, it's a who's who music at this thing. And so they start the show and Frank is not really paying much attention Ady, and people are singing, and you know, he's looking on barbers. So he's going on. So we're like, this is going to be a disaster for us. And so we go out and we got on zoot suits man, and we had Ladies of Tramp with that big band, and I mean we just went straight full Sinatra and we finished and Missus Sinatra stood up and made me come over and shake his head and said, son, that was awesome. And I'll never forget that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: I'll never forget that. That was awesome.
Speaker 1: That is cool.
Speaker 3: Man going over Frank Sinatra and you crushed it.
Speaker 1: It's about out of your chest, Leney.
Speaker 2: You know that was. That was a moment.
Speaker 1: It might be here a while. That's man.
Speaker 2: Like the stories he's been telling. I mean, it's been pretty cool. The stuff I've gotten to do. The Sinatra moment was was crazy. You know, the Jimmy V where I got the Ric Flair road when Rick Flair was there, you know, that was. Those are moments like that, the little stuff like that, you know, like mister Sinatra telling me to make me come shake his head.
Speaker 6: That was.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's fucking Frank Sinatra, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and and that stuff like that.
Speaker 2: You can't you can't ever take that away. That's always and I'll always be.
Speaker 1: With me what you're a big Rick Flair fan. Oh yeah, how are you feeling when you watch this? Thirty for thirty.
Speaker 2: I've known Rick a long since the eighties, and so because it really opens it up a lot of a lot of stuff that Rick is a complicated man, complicated man, and he's a he's a great dude. But uh, you know, I'm not gonna get too much about Ric Flair, but one thing I'll say about Rick. I always say to people, if you've ever seen Ric Flair naked, you know why Ric Flair loves Ric flairn Let's go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't do very well.
Speaker 2: I'd hit it. H Who.
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 1: Very good?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I appreciate you coming on man like you.
Speaker 3: It's uh, your humble beginnings, Like I'm thinking of myself belting in the car, your music, and to have you to have a podcast bust with the boys, and to have somebody like you come on like it's it's a pretty cool moment right now. I appreciate you sharing the stories and laughing and hell going toes on South Carolina, Nebraska.
Speaker 1: It's been fun.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate it. Yeah, Glenny, you got anything, bro?
Speaker 4: But yeah, actually coming on, No, thanks a lot man, this this has been awesome.
Speaker 2: It really has