Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbo. I'll that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for day Edith State?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 3: Whoo whoom and Dan and Tie, Welcome back to the Solid Burbo boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildebrand, joining me as always over there in beautiful New York City, the one, the only, the man who unfortunately has the Twitter past word, Dan Robitstein.
Speaker 4: So how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty good. I am preparing for solo Dad Saturday aka Sleepless Saturday aka what we're about to find out your pitch is and then I will give you my pitch Saturday. But otherwise, Ty no complaints. Life is all right.
Speaker 3: It is week eleven. Welcome back to the show. Can't believe we're already here in November, November, bert Tyvember, whatever you'd like to call it.
Speaker 1: We're aboard all those people clamoring for the month being called Tivevember.
Speaker 3: Subscribe to the show out on our website at soliverble dot com. You can find all the icons there or wherever you get your podcasts, so if it's Google, Spotify, stitch.
Speaker 4: You're tuned in overcast.
Speaker 3: Podcast addict, pocket casts, Himalaya, you name it, wherever you may be, Oh Himalaya, subscribe to the show or the Himalaya checking it out.
Speaker 1: Have you used it? Okay, we'll report back, don't forget.
Speaker 3: You can also follow us out there on all the social channels at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. There's also a subreddit at reddit dot com slash ur slash solid verbal. I have been made aware of this in recent months. That is actually just soliverble dot reddit dot com. So one of two ways that you can get there. And last, but certainly not least, if you want to call in on this coming Saturday, on this coming Friday, as you're watching college.
Speaker 4: Football games, you can do so one of two ways.
Speaker 3: Either four weight verbal one which is four eight eight three seven two two five one. Or you can use a little voice recorder, the app that every phone has nowadays, yep, make a recording, a concise recording. I plead with you a concise recording and then send it to us via email at the reverb line at gmail dot com. That's the reverb line all one word at gmail dot com. We got a couple last week, so you can get a couple more in week eleven.
Speaker 1: Ten and if you want to contact tied directly six one oh two, can I keep going? Okay, sorry scoundrel.
Speaker 3: So what is your pitch for a week? Okay, because there are some big games this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are some big games. This is where for a lot of teams, it's not necessarily season defining. I would say, I think there are some bigger matchups. Certainly it's the biggest one in the SEC this season, but it's not necessarily season life time. I'm defining Penn State Minnesota. You know, Minnesota can still have a good season if they don't take down the Nitney Lions at home, and same for Penn State. They can still have a successful one. They're same for Baylor or Wisconsin against Iowa Oklahoma, Iowa State. It's been a thorn, but it is where the rubber meets the road. There is something about the ball not lying. And initially my mind went to SAT Saturday a significant test. It's not bad, that is not bad, but not end all be all, but Sat Saturday, because Saturday starts with SAT. It was too mushy for me, and so I'm going with something that is a little bit more fun to say, flows a little bit better where it's a significant test. Results don't lie. Everything's you know. You win, you win, you lose, you lose, especially looking at you Wake Forest, Virginia Tech. I have it Scantron Saturday. That is not bad scan Tron's, especially with it being voting day this past week. It's voting week, and yeah, you fill in. You either get it right or you get it wrong, and I don't think there's much room for error. That is very good, Thank you very much, very good. I am partial to scan Tron's Saturday.
Speaker 3: My suggestion was going to be because it's a striking week and it looks like it's got a lot of bark.
Speaker 1: Maybe not striking week. Striking.
Speaker 3: You just look at the slate before us, and it's okay, here's some striking matchups.
Speaker 1: I thought there was a Union reference of some kind. No no, no, no, no, no, no, nothing like that. But it's striking Chicago teachers by the way. Hell yeah, it looks.
Speaker 3: Like it's got a lot of bark, maybe not a lot of bite. It's very family friendly if you look at when these games are being played. I'm a little partial to my puppy I was going to say samoids Saturday type.
Speaker 1: People don't even know how to spell that. This is about branding. I had a winner last week. It's tough to top what I had. It's true. Okay, Welcome to Scantrons Saturday, number two pencils only, yes, and keep your eyes on your own paper. And you know you've been You've been prepping all these things, been prepping for months for this, so you've had time to get ready for these big matchups. Now sit at your desk. And it's also kind of collegiate, right Scantron's.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Scantron Saturday.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Scantrons Saturday. But before we get there, I'm not gonna yell the breaking news. My voice is ready on its last legs. It's week eleven.
Speaker 1: Doo doo doo, doot doot.
Speaker 3: Trying to suckle down some of that wild sweet orange tea, a little bit of honey key things going here.
Speaker 1: Nice, good for you.
Speaker 3: Playoff rankings. We had the first playoff rankings that were released. We did not have a chance to talk about them because, like all big things in the podcast world, that happens seemingly right after we hit stop correct sort.
Speaker 1: Of right, wasn't it last night? Tuesday night we record Let's peel back this onion. We record the tues crews on Mondays. We do it's up at six am on Tuesdays. I don't think we're pulling one over anybody. Sail early Tuesday morning. Here's your first four. We've got Ohio State one, LSU two, Alabama three, and Penn State four. So to big ten teams to SEC teams. You know, these are like deck chairs in the Titanic at this point, they're going to get all sorts of boggled around by the time we get to the end of the season. Certainly some teams in that top four are going to lose. We know at least two of them will between now and the end of the football season.
Speaker 3: To round out the top ten, though, we have Clemson at five, Georgia at six, Oregon your Oregon Ducks defending Great box Ball champion Oregon Ducks ye at number seven, followed by Utah, fill by Oklahoma, and followed by Florida.
Speaker 1: Any surprises you think Penn State's the fourth best team in the country, It's okay if you do.
Speaker 3: I can't make a case against it at this point. I don't know if I believe it in my bones at this point, but I certainly understand why the committee would go there because their strength of resumes so far has been really, really formidable.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, the Michigan win is obviously doing the work here because that's what separates them from Clemson. Through no full fault of Clemson's own, their best win is A and M, so I understand it. I don't know if you have your your spreadsheet, your your mock up line of like what a Penn State Clemson matchup would look like on a neutral field, but it figured out. Yeah, even with this year's results and not looking at last year, not looking at talent level in general, I think I have Clemson ahead of Penn State in my mind, right.
Speaker 4: Neutral field Clemson by about ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So once you get into that double digit area and I understand the Michigan win is, it looks more impressive than ever. They held on to beat the Wolverines, but otherwise it's been The Iowa win is I think pretty good. They held on. They held Iowa without out of the end zone right for three and a half corners, so or at least maybe even more than three and a half, So I can't really hold that much against Penn State. It's just more of an eye test thing and that's harder to quantify. So I guess I'm okay with Penn State at four. It's the first release of the playoff rankings to make Clemson's higher quality right now. But Penn State blows the doors off of Minnesota. I think that's a pretty emphatic scantro on Saturday for them.
Speaker 3: Clemson's likely going to move into the top four next week after the Lsubama game, depending on how that game goes. But I would say I have a pretty high level of confidence that Clemson will be in the top four next week. Georgia's probably blocked by the loser of that LSU Bama game, at least for the time being. Your Orga Ducts are uniquely positioned. If they can run the table, if they can beat Utah whoever in the Pac twelve game, they.
Speaker 1: Are in the top ten playoff team correct.
Speaker 3: They are uniquely positioned here to maybe throw their hat in the ring. Oklahoma all the way down at nine, really needs a case State win over Texas this week. They really need that. The way I see it, about nine teams real shot at this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the thing going against Oregon right now is probably what's out of their control and that the Arizona schools in Oregon State are not going to come across and they have a bye week this week as crazy impressive to finish out the year. Whereas Alabama from this point forward can beat LSU and Auburn, LSU can beat A and M and Alabama, Ohio State has Penn State and you know whoever comes out of the Big Ten West, it looks like Minnesota, so they'll have more quality wins. Clemson is going to struggle in that department, and Georgia can can lay low. But yeah, they're they're blocked for the time being. And I still think they have a pretty good shot here after their win against Florida. So yeah, Utah's lurking as well, and they could have a really impressive win over Oregon in the Pac twelve championship game. And yeah, Oklahoma needs help. And beyond that, I don't think we're talking about playoff caliber teams. I don't think so either. I think there's a there's a line, and you know, Auburn has a playoff caliber defense. I just there's there's too many flaws beyond that line to me, all right, Dan, time.
Speaker 3: It is scan tron Saturday. Get those number two pencils ready. Fill in your dots. Make sure you fill them in completely so the scantron does not get confused. This is all very important information.
Speaker 1: That's true. And if you're going to a race, be thorough What do they recommend white out? White out? Really they don't. I don't know if they recommend white out? What I know? You just have to really, really thoroughly go for it, right, you can't. You can't be hazy with your erasers. No, no, you gotta. You really got to go for it, which is a good life lesson to me. Don't be hazy with your erasing. Scandro on Saturday week, what are we twelve eleveven eleven? I don't know, ty, I got very little sleep last night.
Speaker 4: Let's do this.
Speaker 1: Let's do.
Speaker 4: This. May be the easiest.
Speaker 1: Window of opportunity that we've had. I need, I need to know this because it's childcare Saturday.
Speaker 3: Exclose, single day, single dad Saturday. Excuse me, Yeah, solo dad, solidad Saturday, not sad, different thing.
Speaker 1: M h.
Speaker 3: It's easy. It's a family friendly Saturday. I look at the slate before us here there are a couple notable night games. I guess I always state Oklahoma could be fun, It's been fun in the past. I guess Missouri Georgia has some intrigue for us here, at least as a podcast goes, because we've been talking it up for months on end and Notre Dame dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even app state South.
Speaker 3: Carolina some intrigue there. Lower points spread than maybe people might expect. But I think the bulk of your big games are in the early half of the day before dinner on the East Coast, and good for me, doesn't help me much well little one people that then aren't named Dan Rubinstein. I think your window of opportunity is some time after LSU Bama go out and have a date night.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Actually it works out well for I'm going to be selfish air and talking about me some more. It works out. This is what I have to study and everything I didn't see normally. I'm able to get up early on Sunday mornings before the podcast and do you know, catch up on everything I need to before we record, So it'll just be more of a late night. So I'm glad that the action isn't always pertinent across the board during primetime in late night, So that's good. Let's start at high noon. It is on ABC.
Speaker 3: It is the Penn State Nitney Lions, again number four in the first college Football Playoff rankings this season, on the road at the Minnesota Golden Gophers. This point spread is at a brown six and a half seven points, depending where you look. Of note here is that PJ. Fleck got a new seven year deal just in time for this game.
Speaker 1: Dan about thirty three, mel I saw. I don't know how the structure works out and how incentives work into that, but yes he did. He started out really well. There's sure to be interested in PJ. Fleck as jobs open up. His enthusiasm, his passion. You know, we'll see if there is more to PJ. Fleck than just enthusiasm and passion against some of the lower teams in the Big Ten as the schedule gets harder. But yeah, it was good for Fleck and the Fleck family.
Speaker 3: That is that is correct, and you know, to his credit, there's a lot to like about Minnesota this year. They might not be the flash last team, but thus far they've been crazy efficient on both sides of the football, and certainly in terms of raw atmospherics. They work to Minnesota's advantage. Here. They're at home, it's an earlier game, so it's a body clock situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people are.
Speaker 4: Gonna be fired up for this.
Speaker 1: I'd be glad if I were a Penn State fan that it's an eleven am kick actually, rather than a you know, local six pm prime time. Whole place has been drinking all days, used for the big event kind of thing.
Speaker 3: My problem is the matchup. Yeah, the matchup is what bothers me because for starters, you look at Minnesota's resume, you could make a case and I'm not making it, but I'm saying hypothetically, somebody out.
Speaker 1: There, do you want me to make a case.
Speaker 3: You could make a case that their best win is over South Dakota State.
Speaker 1: Whoa to all the haters who said that Minnesota couldn't take down the jack Rabbits scoreboard.
Speaker 3: They're number four in the FCS. Correct, you could make that case. I'm not making it here, but you could if you really tried. I do think they've gotten better as the season's gone on, so it's not advisable to take them lightly. There's just some degree of credibility missing from their resume, and frankly, that's why they're eight to zeroe ranked number seventeen in the first set of rankings.
Speaker 4: Is that all fair?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And I left out Minnesota and talking about, you know, tiers of playoff caliber teams. Minnesota wins all of their games. It can be in the playoff. That's you know, I would be surprised, but pleasantly surprised. Walk me through all of the Big Ten starting quarterbacks Minnesota has faced this year because it's none of them, Because it's Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland, all I believe started backup quarterbacks against Minnesota. Gopher's fault absolutely not proper Gopher data, not necessarily. That's all the point is behind that sort of snarky comment. They'll be playing Penn State starting quarterback. They'll be playing a Penn State offense that generally relies on explosion, bigger plays. Whether it's kJ Hamler, Pat Fryermuth, do they call him baby gronk? Is that a thing there? I've seen it. Yes, most good tight ends are now known as baby gronk for whatever reason. That is correct. So it's hard to fully know what we have in Minnesota. They started the season off slowly in terms of separating themselves from teams. They've taken care of business out seeing the Purdue game wasn't great for them, especially on defense. But you take care of business, you win your clunkers. You're formidable. And so as it relates to Penn State, I think the Knits the Ninny Lions have an edge. I think part of it is special teams. I think in order to beat Penn State you have to do it repeatedly, putting together drives down the field, which will become increasingly difficult over the game. Over the course of the game, I like Minnesota's offense, but this is a couple of tiers up from what they've seen. I like the early kicktime for Penn State. I think it's back and forth for a bit, but ultimately it's the big plays from Penn State and just the overall talent level of the backups, the threes, whatever, they have to see action throughout a game. I have at thirty one to twenty Penn State.
Speaker 3: Interesting, I've got it at thirty one seventeen Penn State. Okay, So three things that jump out at me and you're all right. Everything you said is all right. In my book, Penn State plays the run really well and that poses a challenge for a Minnesota team that has relied on the run to a great degree this year. I also think Minnesota has a hard time keeping tan or Morgan upright when they do have to pass.
Speaker 1: I think they've been more successful passing it Minnesota than running it, even though they've been some big numbers. I think they've been a better passing team in terms of efficiency. Yes, okay, but they've had plenty of games where they've relied on that rushing attack as well. Correct.
Speaker 3: Yes, So it's not to say that they're a one trick pony, but I could see them trying to utilize that run game to open things up, maybe try to throw it downfield. I just don't think they're going to have much success doing that. And I worry for Tanner Morgan because this line has not been great at keeping him upright. And we know it's a Penn State line that's got a lot of bite to it. So that that's number two. And the third thing is I don't know if you saw, but James Franklin essentially made it Facebook official naming Noah Kane his number one running.
Speaker 1: Back is that? Is that a real real thing?
Speaker 4: It is a real real thing.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: It won't change next week.
Speaker 3: It could change next week, but at least for this week, he's number one on the depth chart.
Speaker 1: That's good to see because that's actually been a place where Penn State has struggled. If they need a four minute drive and to really grind it out on the ground, it hasn't always been there.
Speaker 3: So I'm hoping now that they've kind of made this commitment that it means more work for Noah King, And if it does, it could could be a big game for him on the ground.
Speaker 1: I see that in his near future.
Speaker 3: I like Penn State pretty comfortably thirty one seventeen, could see it being close for half.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I think Penn State's a couple rungs better than Minnesota at this point. You know, if I put my personal biases aside, would love to see it be an awesome story if Minnesota could pull the upset here at home, And.
Speaker 1: What does that look like? What does that that Minnesota upset look like? How do you beat Penn State if you are Minnesota with their talent, their their strengths on defense and offense.
Speaker 3: They've got to figure out some way to rattle Sean Clifford. Okay, they got to stop the run in rattle Shan Clifford and hope that their offense can win the battle field position, control the clock, and I think keep it relatively low scoring. I don't think they can outscore Penn State.
Speaker 1: Well, you're gonna need to if you want to win. Well, I know what you're saying. Not in a shootout, right right right, So it'll be it would be like a twenty to seventeen win. Yeah for Minnesota if they're able to pull it off, get a couple of big plays from their big play receivers against a pretty good Penn State secondary.
Speaker 4: We're moving on.
Speaker 3: Also at high noon on FS one, we've got the Baylor Bears on the road at TCU. Okay, the revivalry, as they say, yeah, two and a half points. I hate this game so much. I hate I've heard great things about Fort Worth. We had an undefeated Baylor coming in. There's no love lost between these two teams. Got to throw out the records and the revivalry.
Speaker 1: Come on, I get in a revivalry. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh, Yeah, I've been high on Baylor all preseason, all regular season. I think this is a really good football team. They've consistently gotten more consistent under Matt Rule. Sure it's a thing, Okay, so good for them in terms of efficiency. The defense has been better than the offense, which our not really used to saying about Baylor.
Speaker 4: But okay.
Speaker 3: I like Charlie Brewer, I like the skill talent a lot. Not crazy about their line play, but.
Speaker 1: You get my point. I like Baylor a great deal here.
Speaker 3: I like so much about Baylor, Yet I still feel like TCU is going to win the game, and I don't know how to emotionally deal with that.
Speaker 1: What why? How score walk me through? Baylor's got Oklahoma and Texas in the next two weeks of the season. You think they're looking past the Frogs.
Speaker 4: I think there's a potential here.
Speaker 1: For a look now, Oh, get out of tech. I think there's potential for a look ahead spot. No way, Madden, this is a matchup that has a lot of teeth to it.
Speaker 4: Ty is it or is it not?
Speaker 3: TCU's spot their brand to completely muck up the Big twelve race here?
Speaker 1: Oh? It for sure? Is Here's my general concern about the Frogs right now. They might not have a quarterback. Max Duggan hurt his I want to say his the middle finger on his throwing hand as one does yep, which if he plays, that's probably not the best way to throw a football with twenty percent of the necessary digits being broken. And you say to yourself, well, there's other quarterbacks on the TCU roster. You look at and I think it was the reddit CFB subreddit, the college football subreddit on Reddit. They went through the quarterback room for TCU, and it's like next guy transferred, next guy rickets, next guy, next guy undisclosed SCD, next guy transfer portal, and then it's like all the way down to possible walk on if he gets the grades or something like. It's not great. So when a position like quarterback is hanging in the balance to that degree, I'm happy to just go with the other team that happens to have a snow advisory defense.
Speaker 4: Why is hold on?
Speaker 1: Then I'll play the snow advisory.
Speaker 3: But why why is the line only two and a half in favorite Baylor's at TCU?
Speaker 1: TCU has I mean, they have good players, their defense is fine. They they're in games. They got blown out by what Iowa State, and otherwise they've they've been competitive, so mean, they're coached. Well, they gave up a ton on the ground last week, which wasn't great. I have Baylor twenty three to fourteen. I think the Bears got a couple of big plays through the air. TCU has one four straight in this last year. They beat them by a touchdown in Waco. So I get your concern, but no, the Ricketts factor of the of the tc quarterback.
Speaker 3: Round emotionally mentally conflicted.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: You know my stance on TCU one night stand. Come on, you know my stance on TCU. You know where I stand on Baylor. I do like this snow advance, but I like.
Speaker 1: Coming up to Waitco Waco Rato games in Fort Worth, but all the same game is in Fort Worth.
Speaker 3: I think Baylor is the better team I have all year. I'm gonna stick with that. I think it's twenty four to twenty one Baylor wins, but it's close. Okay, So you have Baylor sneaking out the cover. I do, Yeah, okay, I do. Maybe a little bit of a front door cover here. Up.
Speaker 1: You just scared some dogs. Sorry A lot of samoid's out there. It's gone to a big Tomali Dan.
Speaker 4: Three thirty.
Speaker 1: You couldn't even raise your voice for that one.
Speaker 3: Three thirty CBS NBR LSU at Alabama the Crimson Tide, a six and a half point home favorite. Is this one game of the century?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 4: Has it achieved game of the century labeling?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the biggest LSU Alabama matchup since twenty eleven. I mean we probably say that most ears, but yeah, it feels true enough this year, two playoff teams playing number.
Speaker 3: Two versus number three, if you want to get technical about it, talking about the College Trooble playoff rankings, Dan, Yeah, big match up here. Alabama's won the last eight, which is wild. The last eight have gone to Alabama. They've had a dominant run, obviously, not just in this game, but throughout all of college football. What's meaningful to me, though, is that, for the first time in what feels like forever, maybe all the way back to twenty eleven, I had a hard time picking a winner here.
Speaker 4: Okay, and I know there are.
Speaker 3: No moral victories in it's football and man ball and sports ball and whatever else, but that in and of itself stands for something in my book, because for as long as I can remember now, BAMA has been so dominant. I don't remember having that dilemma before me when looking at this game. And I think college football is more interesting when this game is interesting. So I'm excited. Just I mean, this game is always interesting, It's always interesting, but in a modern era. Yeah, I just haven't felt in so long like this was a close, almost coin flippy kind of game, and that's meaningful to me as a college FOT.
Speaker 1: I like LS was averaging three point three points these last three years in this matchup, over under LSU scoring more than three points, I'll go over. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, did you know that only three times in the last fifteen meetings has the winning team scored thirty or more points in this matchup.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that exact stat, but yes, I do know that it's been relatively low scoring. Where do you come down here? So, first off, you didn't mention Tua's right ankle.
Speaker 4: I did not. I was building to that, Dan, But continue.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well you asked me a question, so to I had a procedure. He I believe had the tightrope procedure. The tightrope system anchoring. And I look this up. Obviously, the tibia and fibula together with a braided polyethylene chord sure tie to help stimulate recovery. Okay, that sounds awkward. Yeah, well, so that brings up a question to me, is a hobbled to a tough better than a healthy bon Knicks? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, really?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I'm just asking the question because LSU took on an Auburn team with an excellent defense and an offense that was pretty inconsistent that day, and it was close. It was tight. And so if Tua isn't as good as a healthy bone Knicks, and Ta certainly is not as good as Mac Jones. If he can't move, it's a problem. It's a definite problem. So how I come down in this game is the worries are obviously to his ankle, and to a lesser degree, Bama's rush defense. I think they're a good enough big game team. LSU has a very efficient ground attack. We've seen Clyde Edwards Laire really thrive this season. He's just he's patient. He hits the lane really hard. So he's been a pleasure to watch. And on the other side, LSU's pass rush. I think there's just generally an assumption that LSU, with how well they recruit, especially on defense, and the speed on defense that they get after everybody, they haven't been really getting home this season. They haven't been getting to quarterbacks, have been putting a ton of pressure, at least relative to where they've been in previous years, and even stopping the ground game of teams you've been able to run. We saw some big runs from Florida from Auburn, not all game long, but we saw some cracks in this LSU rush defense that certainly Alabama can exploit. LSU certainly is built to beat Alabama. I still like Alabama's secondary a good deal. LSU is going to We've talked about this. This is a broken record, the fearlessness, the talent at receiver, the size at receiver for LSU, all of that is there. But but and I did see I don't know if you saw that Joe Burrow played in this game last year with a separated shoulder. I saw that. Yeah. Yeah, So that at least is further context perhaps for why LSU struggled. But they were not the offense that they are this year. Last year I have at thirty to seventeen Bama. Wow, that's a pretty big margin. I'm gambling onto A being passibly healthy. But I think it's it's in Tuscaloosa under those weird, stupid lights that they have in that stadium. Now I don't like them. Sorry, I'm not a fun police officer, but it's not my favorite. And I just think those receivers for Alabama going against the secondary at LSU, who's so good. There's so much talent on that secondary. But over the course of four quarters, I'm a little bit worried about this LSU offense against Alabama's defense comparable to Auburn's defense. I don't think Alabama has quite the talent they did last year. Quinn Williams did so much to disrupt LSU last year, and they don't have a Quinn Williams upfront this year Alabama. But over those four quarters, I think Alabama and that speed and at least a seventy five percent to this is my pick is built around a seventy five percent healthy TOA because you got to pick a percentage if you're gonna preview this game and make a you know, plant your flag. Thirty to seventeen Bama, So I do think they get to thirty exactly.
Speaker 3: My pick is also contingent on a seventy five to eighty percent to A. Okay, I think we're looking at a fun thirty five to thirty one game.
Speaker 1: Okay, so shootout by relative terms for this matchup, correct.
Speaker 3: I want to see if Bama can run against LSU, because if they can, if they can establish Nase Harris, that makes their what four headed receiver.
Speaker 1: Monster even more dangerous? Yeah, and Elsie's got a three headed receiver monster. They do be fair, yeah, they do.
Speaker 3: But I'm really excited about those Bama receivers this year. I don't know how you cover all four of them. Okay, I've got Alabama winning thirty five thirty one, but I'm taking points here.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you a follow up? Please? So you're taking points because the spread is about a touchdown? Yep. If to A starts rolls out, rolls as ankle, which I don't want to happen, it's like, well, it's mac joone this time. How does that alter your prediction? Receivers are still there, defense is still there, Najah Harra is still there. How does a mac Jones let out, how does the mac Jones show alter? Your prediction is an automatic? LSU?
Speaker 4: It's not automatic?
Speaker 3: Okay, it's not automatic because if Nick Saban's proven anything, it's that he can adjust. Yeah, and he's adjusted to coaching staffs turning over year after year. He's adjusted to a lot in his tenure at Alabama. So I don't think it necessarily means instant death for Alabama, but it definitely means a more conservative game plan, and certainly in that instance, the ability to establish Naji Harris or some sort of rushing attack would be key.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have twenty seven to twenty four LSU. In that situation, I think they adde them.
Speaker 3: I tell you what the move would be, actually, Okay, the move would be if Alabama goes up early, if you got some sort of live betting app jump on LSU and maybe go counter to our seventy five a little contingency.
Speaker 1: Oh, you think there's gonna be an overreaction. Alabama goes up ten to three with still the two of possibility at.
Speaker 3: More points, and then there's a chance that it tightens up. If two, it gets hurt because.
Speaker 1: Two has been locked up. Yeah, he has those ankles. The other thing was the left ankle and the right the right foot, the right ankle, and injury in that area generally stepping forward, that's accuracy being able to step into your throws, you know, planting his power hips and shoulder whatever his power. But it's the accuracy stepping into your throws and really staying on balance and on platform. So if accuracy goes, could be a long day.
Speaker 3: And also, if you are one of those individuals that wants to bet on a game after kickoff, if by the second half it looks like your BET's gonna lose, you could always take the other side that whole thing. Check out my bookie dot ag.
Speaker 1: Oh great call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the premier place to bet on all your favorite sports action, especially NFL and college football every weekend. You can join now. They'll double your first deposit. All you gotta do is use the promo code solid to activate the offer. So it's MyBookie dot ag. Your promo code is solid Dan. I wouldn't be telling folks to use it if I didn't think it was good. Good, but don't think it was the best, So do the smart thing. If you're going to bet on football, bet with my bookie. It's MyBookie. Dot ag promo code is solid. You play, you win, you get paid. Let's move on. Let's talk about the four pm slot on Fox. It is Iowa, it is Wisconsin. It is the game every year that causes us to dig out of the archives.
Speaker 1: The old YouTube video you put together. Uh yeah, the nature film, the Iowa Wisconsin nature film for what it is, the Heartland Trophy. Yes, I believe, so that is correct. There's a Brass Bowl involved.
Speaker 5: Ty.
Speaker 1: Wisconsin's won three in a row, three in a row. I don't know if that affects how you pick this game, but this might Iowa. For as crazy good as their defense has looked basically all year long, their offense is averaged less than excuse me, fewer then fewer then one touchdown per game against the good teams that they've played in Michigan, Penn State, and Iowa State.
Speaker 3: So what that tells me is as at the point spread, which is nine and a half, that tells me that.
Speaker 1: Go Wisconsin here. Yeah, so we know what it takes to beat Wisconsin at this point, week eleven. It takes speed and downfield passing or just being the Illinois fighting alive. That's what it takes. Iowa is neither fast or great downfield in the passing game. For as much as I think we both admire Nate Stanley and the best of Nate Stanley, that's not them. That's not how they win games. And so I think even though we have downgraded Wisconsin a bit since that early start where people were freaking out, like they're shutting out everybody, Oh my god, history, I have a twenty one ten Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: I've got it, twenty eight thirteen Wisconsin twenty eight thirteen.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of points score against his Iowa defense. This is a very and not only is the Iowa defense good and your your prediction is valid, but Iowa's defense is particularly good at stopping longer run plays by Honky are run plays they are? And not that Wisconsin relies on that.
Speaker 3: No, but that's that's a and butter thing for sure. Oh yeah, yeah, I just I was parkening back to the old game that we played probably last week. I know we played every week, but how many points does iowould need to score to win here against Wisconsin? And I think we agree that the answer is probably twenty to twenty four.
Speaker 1: They got to score more than twenty. Yeah. Yeah, the weather's going to be fine. It'll be a little chilly about thirty eight forty, But we're not. That's big ten poor stuff. Yeah, No, So can Iowa get there? I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I think the Wisconsin defense is too much. I think they win, I think they cover. I think it's something like twenty eight thirteen. Jack Cohn's been good enough as a passer here to give Wisconsin enough balance. And I'm sticking to my guns. Twenty eight thirteen Wisconsin wins at home. They covered the nine and a half.
Speaker 1: You don't have faith in big game Brian Farrens's offense, No, I don't know. Okay, all right, so we agree. We're were agreeing a lot today, which I don't like this. I don't like this at all.
Speaker 3: And finally, in terms of our headliners here, we've got a bunch of other games to get through. But eight pm on Fox the Nightcap, it is Iowa State on the road in Norman, Oklahoma against the Sooners. Oklahoma is a fourteen and a half point favorite. DAN of note here since Matt Campbell arrived in Ames. The biggest margin of victory in this game ten points, only ten points by Oklahoma back in twenty sixteen and last year again in twenty eighteen. But you might remember two years ago the big upset in Norman. Iowa State went on the road in twenty seventeen, they won thirty eight thirty one. Do we think that Matt Campbell has a little bit of Lincoln Riley's number here?
Speaker 1: First of all, put Joel Lanning's name on this matchup. Please put his name on this matchup fair after his performance a little ways ago. I think Matt Campbell gets his team up for big games. I think there's almost like a little bit of Tom Herman too, maybe played down when you shouldn't play up when you should. So I always say it's good enough to hang around in this game. This is not I agree with that it's not a bulletproof Oklahoma defense, especially on the ground, where Iowa State has been inconsistent, But the best of Iowa State on the ground has pretty impressive more recently. Anyway, My problem is I don't know if the Clones have enough firepower to keep up in a shootout. And you could have said that about k State. That game was in the Little Apple, though, So there is a little bit a little more juice there, and this one's in Norman. I think Ioways stayed in the red zone is good enough on defense to turn Oklahoma sixes into threes to generate some field goals or field goal attempts. Ultimately, though, I think Oklahoma is good enough and they sort of go as their running backs go. When we saw in that K State game, it was sort of Jalen Hurts and a little bit of beck Meyer syndrome having to do it all himself, and I don't love that idea. I have this as a front door cover for Oklahoma, a little bit of cover. Sorry dog, sorry doggies forty one twenty four Oklahoma, but perhaps it's twenty eight to twenty one, you know, thirty one, twenty four deep into the game, and then ultimately it's just maybe some sort of explosion play at the end. Oklahoma coming off of bye week at home. I believe oklhoem is coming off a bye week, right, yep, yep, Yeah, I'm gonna go boomer sooner here, but I think it's gonna be a fun one for a healthy chunk of it.
Speaker 3: Oklahoma is ninth in the playoff rankings, and I think they are smart enough to know that they can't take any weeks off. I think Lincoln Riley looks at this game and says, if I can score one hundred, I'll try. They did have the week off to recover from the k State loss.
Speaker 4: Oklahoma's gonna win this game.
Speaker 3: My problem with it as it relates to the point spread, though, is that they're gonna win this game by either fourteen or twenty one points and it's one hundred percent the kind of situation where the point spread comes down to the wire and there's a garbage time touchdown that may or may not screw the whole thing up. So I want the points here. I'll take fourteen with the little hook at the end. I think Oklahoma wins thirty eight to twenty four. But I don't like that point spread, so I'm gonna go iwa stay in that respect.
Speaker 1: Here's my problem. Even though we celebrated him for an entire month, that would be bro October. Yeah, the end of the Oklahoma State game where Brock Party in a close game down seven through seventeen interceptions. Do you treat a performance like that like, well, everybody has a bad day, and like we've said, before. Don't judge somebody on their worst. Don't judge somebody on their best. Everything in between is what matters. That was his worst day. Did happen relatively recently against a team that's probably not as good as Oklahoma? Does that color your opinion of him winning a close game on the road. No, because we've seen it before. No, well we haven't really seen it from brock Party against Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: Maybe not, but no, I think he's a good enough player that it doesn't It doesn't worry me too much.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think we agree, but I guess we agree on the outcome of the game.
Speaker 4: All Right.
Speaker 3: Some other quick notables that we do need to mention here. If we could travel back in time, Dan, if you could give me the sound for a second ten thirty on Friday night on FS one, it's Washington at Oregon State. Washington's a ten point road favorite. Now of note here, and I do want to mention this. In our initial document I did forget to label this game as being on a Friday night, So I appreciate you doing the responsible thing and attaching the movie art from Ice Cubes Friday as well as the Rebecca Black headshot. It's my privilege and honor, just to give it a nice little touch there and remind me. Also, Dan, this game starts at three point thirty am one time. Are you gonna stay up for this one?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, no, absolutely not. It's soloed out Saturday. I'll be in bed by eight. I need everything I can get. So, as it relates to this specific game, it is a short week road hangover spot for Washington losing the way they did to Utah going on the road, and it's not a long flight to Corvallis from Seattle. It's pretty sure. I've actually done Eugenis Seattle and it's actually pretty scary. And the small plans that Alaska has there is an opportunity for an all time great kung fu cliche and student becoming the master Jonathan Smith and Chris Peterson. And certainly Washington's offense has not been the same since Jonathan Smith left. The Oregon State's defense is by far the worst thing in this game. But I cannot ignore the short week road and the hangover factor as well. So I have this as a field goal game for Washington. Yeah, I have this as like thirty four to thirty one. I don't think Washington's as bad as they've been against the better teams on their schedule and Gallen Stanford, and I don't think Oregon State is quite there defensively to beat at least an okay Washington team. So they'll run a little bit on Washington because that's what you're able to do. They have two good running backs and Artavis Pierce and Jamar Jefferson. I hope everybody's healthy. I did not look up Oregon State's current health, but I think they're healthy. Yeah, Oregon States, wait for thirty one Washington Shamar Smith, Nashan Wright and Kolby Taylor per Don Best. I assume the master the master.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I uh, they're my home dog of the week.
Speaker 1: Actually, Oregon State, will you watch this game? You don't sleep hoom dog of the week.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not watching this game, but short week, weird spot in Corvallis. The Beaver defense is capital be bad. But I don't know they score points. So I don't think Washington's all that great. I've been saying that for a couple of weeks now. I don't think they win outright, that's a bridge too far. But can they cover ten at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they can. One of the weirder things that happens at Oregon State games. I assume you have not been to Corvallis No okay. On big third down plays or big they need a stop plays on defense, they pipe in the sound of a chainsaw, which almost doesn't make sense. I understand how it's congruent to a beaver in you know, cutting wood, eating wood, whatever, but I feel like the chainsaw has replaced the beaver. So they're celebrating the technological advancement that's putting beavers out of work and creating dams. I don't know if you're familiar with that. That's a little bit just a local trib for you.
Speaker 3: It's a little that's a little bit of a deep cut for me. Dan, not gonna lie, no problem. What is your order from Yakos? By the way, my order from Yakos?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're going in there, you want a quick dog, what's what's your order?
Speaker 3: I will usually get two to three Yaco dog, depending how hungry I am toppings. It's usually just the Yaco dog, the hot dog with the special sauce on.
Speaker 1: What is the special sauce? That's sort of like a chili sauce interesting like a thinner or a sledgeier. And I say that lovingly. I love a good sludgie chili.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's sort of in between, actually, okay, a little bit of a little bit of a little bit of bee is it?
Speaker 1: Is it like a squiggle to it? Or is it a squiggle? Yeah, like a mustard or ketchup squiggle like thin enough for a squiggle. No squiggle. It is like it's a top, Yes it is. Okay, two or three yacos dogs, So I assume they're not super No, they're not gigantic, right, Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Next game three thirty ABC USC at Arizona State. Arizona State a two point favorite once a year, Dan we gather to reflect upon Lin Kiffin getting fired on the tarmac. Yes, at almost what six years now?
Speaker 1: This one's a coin flip to me. This game.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with ASU for two reasons. First Off, the defense is pretty good. I don't think good enough to fully stop USC, but good enough to force turnovers and get Jayde and Daniels a few more bites at the apple. And secondly, I think there's an opportunity here for Ineno Benjamin to run the football and control some of that time of possession for ASU. I think it's ugly. I'm gonna go twenty one to twenty Asu. I'll take the points even though there's only two of them.
Speaker 1: Okay, who's favored? So it's Asu? Excuse me. ASU's favored by two, right, So you think they'll win by one? So you're going to take You think it's a one point game. You feel confidently enough in USC winning or losing by a hair? Sure? Okay, it's reasonable enough. USC still beat up and they're definitely in letdown, if not body blow mode. You can play the sound. And also it's it's possible. I don't know if I'm fully there, but there's a potential bottom falling out of this USC season in play? Right? Yeah? All we hear about is will the new USC ad have permission to hire urban Meyer? Will USC make a move sooner rather than later? Who is James Franklin on the table? We saw James Franklin rumors? Is he a potential candidate for USC? I saw I think it was Pete Thamil from Yahoo said he is who some people at USC If it's not gonna be urban Meyer? Who makes a lot of sense interesting. Okay, USC struggled with a similar Colorado team. I would say on the road that they have the potential for offense, but there are definitely some deficiencies all over the field. That was just a couple weeks ago, and that's a beat up USC. With that struggle ASU weathered. They didn't do a great job, but they weathered the Wazoo air raid and came away with a win. I was more because of Wazoo's defense than anything, but still they weathered it enough. I have ASU by six thirty one, twenty five. I think it's a bad situational spot for the Trojans.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 4: I do agree with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have ASU covering here all right, rapid fire through five other games. Yeah, three thirty ACC Network wake Forest at Virginia Tech.
Speaker 4: Wake Forest a two and a half point road favorite.
Speaker 1: DAN. Last time they played, Frank Beemer raised his hands in glory about going to an overtime period at zero zero. I believe that was a six to three double overtime thriller. The last time they played, that's it was twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, twenty thirteen. It's been years, plural years since these two teams have played. I think it takes an offense to take down Wake. Sort of takes a village, and I don't think from what I saw from Virginia Tech last week, even though they're at home, even though it's in Lane Stadium. The thing that I am worried about though I thought this line would be a little bigger. It surprised me too. Worry some lines you're supposed to steer into. But I can't justify a Virginia Tech offensive explosion because I think Wake's gonna get there. So I have waked by a touchdown after Virginia Tech last week let their potential signature season win slip away. We agree also at three point thirty ESPN two Louisville Louisville at Miami.
Speaker 4: Miami is a six point favorite.
Speaker 3: This is another one where I thought the line was gonna be different, okay, and I think I like the Miami defense too much. I really like this line for the Caynes. I thought it was gonna be higher. So I'm taking Miami.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna go with Miami as well. So for similar reasons, it's a bit of a letdown spot after the Florida State win that got Florida State's coach fired, or at least was the final nail. Louisville just allows too much through the air. And I know Miami has been up and down offensively, relying on big plays, but they got him last week and they've gone the past couple weeks, and so I think the Miami offensive line has improved. So I think just maybe that passing attack alone, because Louisville's defense is improved, but it's still all that good. It's you know, your daughter has an awful, awful boyfriend, they break up and she starts dating somebody new and not great, but it's better than the old guy. So Louisville has a ways to go. They're fun on offense, but give me Miami.
Speaker 3: Here three point thirty ESPN. We've got ky State on the road at Texas. Texas is about a touchdown favorite here, Dan. That feels like a lot to me. Why feels like a lot to me because I think k State does the fundamentals quite well and they've been pretty dept at controlling the clock. Still not entirely sure that they're balanced enough on offense, but I feel like Chris Kleiman has been working all week in his fantasy fact after the Oklahoma win two weeks ago, to try and come up with a game plan here for this Texas game. So I think Texas may win the game outright, but maybe like thirty four thirty.
Speaker 1: I think it could be close. Okay, so let's not judge Texas on their worst day, and they aren't getting healthier. I don't know exactly how healthier they'll be in the secondary, but this is not exactly a Kansas State team who should be able to throw a ton. But I guess we could have said that about Kansas. I have Texas close. It's they're coming off a bye week, they're at home. It's the second straight road game for Kansas State. However much you believe in that being an obstacle, Kansas State probably needs to win on the ground, and at least the ground is a place where Texas is not a disaster. It's not bad, right, it's fine. They're fine up front. The secondary has been just a mess. You can pick on them all day. So I'm going to go with Texas. I'm going to take the points, though, So I think we agree. I have Texas like thirty three to thirty. Yeah, we agree.
Speaker 3: Okay, seven PESPN Miszoo at Georgia. Georgia a seventeen point favorite. Here, Dan, we've had this one circled for a long time.
Speaker 1: I've again thoroughly erased the circle on Scandal on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a game that we had highlighted a while back. It's always been a bit of an intriguing matchup for me. I think George is way better than Miszoo, let's get that out there. But this does feel like a weird game where somehow Miszoo covers the spread, keeps it close even though Georgia wins. It sort of is like a little bit damaging to the dogs.
Speaker 1: Thirty seven thirty one Wyoming twenty one to fourteen, Vanderbilt twenty nine to seven Kentucky. There is your road slate. I know Zoo, I know in twenty ninety.
Speaker 3: But yet a couple of weeks ago you said, yeah, this is the game that they're going to play him tight.
Speaker 1: I was a different guy a couple of weeks ago. Okay, okay, so potential letdown spot for Georgia Miszoo though again nightmare on the road. And this is a quote I hate to see it was. I think it was Bury oed and at least it was an Amazoo coach said if we had to play tonight, it would not be Kelly Bryant out there. He's not ready. That's a subversion of that. That was a day and a half ago, and this is Miszoo on the road. I don't see it. I think even with it being a letdown spot, maybe Georgia starts slow like they're prone to do. I have it thirty four to thirteen Dogs.
Speaker 3: And finally seven pm ESPN two app State. App State lost a week ago. They are on the road at South Carolina. The line is only five in favor of South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Dan. Yeah, this is an interesting matchup, isn't it? A team that gave up forty one to Tennessee m HM. App State plays a tough brand of football. App State does play a tough brand of football. Their defense isn't necessarily was it where it was? Excuse me under Scott Sadderfield and his staff, But still fine, still pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If South Carolina wins this game, it'll be on the ground. And that's what I think happens here. App State coming off of a loss, going back out on the Road. Yeah, I'm gonna take South Carolina. I get South Carolina by a field goal. Oh, so you have You're gonna take those points, taking the points, getting South Carolina wins by seven late. All right, That is all I have in my list, Dan, you got anything else? H Wyoming at Boise State. I know you like to ignore the Mountain West because you have an East coast bias, but that should be quite fun. I think I have Boise here, even after there's slow start in surviving a shootout against San Jose State. Just a tough place to win. A telemarketer from Wichita, Kansas is calling me right now. Otherwise, Ty, I have Duquine, Bob Morris fighting Bobbies both four and o in the Northeastern Conference, Kennesaw State, the Owls against the Campbell Camels, ow Wools, ow Wwolves, Big Big South matchup, New Hampshire four and one in the Colonial against James Madison five and oh in the Colonial the Underrated not underrated, but I have ignored this logo for far too long, and they also happen to be good. But the the Ut Martin Skyhawks. Have you ever seen the Skyhawk logo? It's amazing, It's an eagle, but the eagle has like those aviator goggles resting on its head with the cool wing situation on either side. Great logo they're taking on Austin p They're four and one in the Ohio Valley ut Martin five and one and now tie your week eleven, Yes, headliner forget LSU Alabama Yankee Stadium tie. You know this game is in Yankee Stadium, right, I know. I know Princeton at seven and oh, Dartmouth at seven and oh, and there is a line. I did find a site five dimes. I believe FCS lines the mouthis.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I regret that weird, We'd already regret it. Three and a half point favorites in what I'm calling because Dartmouth is a New Hampshire and Princeton is in New Jersey, I'm calling it the Uper Bowl. I work shot that name a little clunky. I work shop. First of all, it's brilliant, and I spent more time on that on any game preview fair. I'm gonna take there's something in the air in Dartmouth. There is something in the air, and they win on a hail Mary last week. I love Princeton. I love that offense. But the Dartmouth defense allowing ten a game. Give me the mouth these. I stand by it. Let's go mouth these. I'll do it double mouth. Ye a, God, regret that even more. On that note, please drop that pulsating pounding, pure bliss, big stanky drum. Five.
Speaker 3: All right, we got three games on the docket here, starting lines for these, by the way, Oh okay, starting at High New Go ahead, you read them off then.
Speaker 1: All right? Holy Cross the Crossaders at three and h in the Pat League, favored by nearly two touchdowns, thirteen points over the Eddies of Lafayette at noon.
Speaker 4: I go Yettes, I go big, John Burke. You know where I stand.
Speaker 1: As well, the true big noon Saturday game. Lee High at three and one at Bucknell one and two in the Pat League. But it looks I think Lehigh's is the Lee High. They're given four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna go Lee High minus the points. I don't usually like to take the road spot here, but Lee High has been playing pretty well last couple of weeks, So let's go Tyler. Monica had a big week last week. Let's go Mountain Hawks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're gonna go Mountain Hawks. Engineers, whatever, you gotta call him Fordham one and two at Colgate one three Colgate.
Speaker 4: I think it's one two in a row. Mm hmmm, two in a row since.
Speaker 1: Not winning any at all for a good chunk of the season. Well, they're one in three in the pat League, so one.
Speaker 4: And three in the pat League.
Speaker 3: But I think I think two wins overall, and I could be wrong about that. Okay, I'm gonna go Colgate here to shock the world at home.
Speaker 1: The Bronx is the center of the college football universe, obviously with Yankee Stadium hosting the Nuper Bowl. And I don't know if you noticed I did put a Nuper Bowl sound You know I did not see the sound files. It's okay, we can we can play it another week or play it in the recap. There's something, there's something about the Bronx. I'm gonna take Fordham here. I'm gonna take the for the Fordham Rams. And by the way, if you are going to the Nuper Bowl, La Morada for Mexican food. La Morada m O r A d a La Morada really good. Wa Hawkan food Wahawcken Wahaka is an area. It's a state in Mexico. It's a very specific style if you like Molais, like we've talked about, No I do any ingredients, sure, yeah, okay Claudas oh man, I wish that in an old blue Apron spot you had to read off that you could make Claudas t l a I udat.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm going in that direction also, Ty, before we stop, Before we hit stop on the show, I'm actually going on The Lead, which is a terrific show that Wondery does. It's a daily sports show. They partnered with the Athletic, interviewing different writers based on the story of the day. So if it's a big it's a big day for the Lakers, they talk to the whoever's covering the Lakers for the Athletic. If it's a big day for the Denver Broncos for whatever reason, they talk to the person covering the Broncos. And so I'm going on the show to talk about LSU Alabama. So I figured let's let's get to know the Lead a little bit more before we go, since they do a terrific job doing a daily sports show. Up stuff every morning of the week for your commute. Have a listen, and now before we go on very excited to take a take a nice look, take a dip into the pool of our friends at another Wondery show, and it's Kavitha Davidson and Alters. I said, Alters Honders kelto because what I did was I combined your names. But they host the Lead for both Wondery and The Athletic, and if you have not listened to the lead, First of all, shame on you. You are doing a poor job with your digital audio consumption. Second of all, as you probably know, they do a daily sports show with The Athletic and Wondery, So every morning you wake up, you get on your way to work and boom, there is an episode of the Lead. They're talking about the biggest sports stories and talking to experts at the Athletic. Not that they're not smart, but how can you know about everything in every single sport? You might as well lean on the experts. So whether it's the Lakers, the Broncos, or Florida State or maybe the Minnesota Wild, I don't know. I don't know, and I would like to know. So Kavitha Onders, thank you for joining me.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for having us.
Speaker 1: Dan, what an intro. Oh my gosh, I've been working on that all day, so I think I did the concept justice. And part of the reason that I'm having you on besides that I'm just fans of the show, is also I'm appearing on the show to talk about LSU Alabama, so I figured we'd make this official. Go both ways. Tell me about how the lead works, how it operates.
Speaker 5: Well, it is as a heavy lift, but it's a lot of fun and essentially we just dive into the sort of the biggest and the most fascinating sports stories of the day, and like you mentioned, we're hitting all sports and all kinds of stories. We tend to do a lot of profiles of really interesting athletes or people of note in the world of sports, but we're really just kind of curious about what's happening out there and trying to find surprising and compelling stories and then to find the best people and the best sports reporters to help us tell them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that that's you know, if you follow what we do over at the Athletic, you know, and I came over to the podcast from being a sports business reporter for the Athletic. You know, we've got so many reporters who have just been covering these teams for years, who are on the ground there, and you know, if something happens in New Orleans, we've got like four people that we can call on in New Orleans to come on and talk about that. And that's that's really cool to us.
Speaker 1: So it actually does bring up a question, how do you I know you're leaning on the experts, but you have to be able to ask smart questions. You have to no context to bring information out of these experts in various cities. How are you able to download content like I have to know about dozens, if not like over one hundred college football teams, and that's already a heavy lift. How do you jump across sports to fully understand context to bring good information out of your interviewees.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll answer that because the answer often is Kavitha. She is an encyclopedia of sports information, and we do lean on her quite a bit. But you know, it's also very much a team effort. We've got a team of producers who are amazing researchers who create prep sheets and outlines for us and prep us for interviews and talk through story ideas with us, and you know, research is a big part of what we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm just gonna jump in and say and I appreciate that, Ondrews, thank you. You know, like I've covered sports for six years now, and I'm a generalist, right, Like I've covered all sports, so I have a pretty good baseline knowledge of, you know, anything that we could talk about, but you know, without going as deep as these experts go. You know, that's kind that kind of sets the foundation for you know, when we do these deep dives, and that also kind of helps for us that you know, we do have this incredible staff of people who not all of them are sports fans, so they can kind of filter out, you know, the stuff when I get way too much into my heads and I'm like, wait, you remember when this happened in nineteen eighty seven. Nobody else remembers that. I don't either because I wasn't born.
Speaker 5: And I would also just add real quickly that you know, we are both we both love sports. We're both very curious about sports, but we try to get out of the way of the story as much as possible. Like the show isn't about us, it's about the storytellers that we bring on and it's about the stories themselves. So we're not out there to try and impress anyone or like validate ourselves with how much we know about sports. We're just there to try and help tell these really powerful stories.
Speaker 1: Oh we have completely different ideologies then, because I love no one myself and taking some credit for everything I know, Well, maybe we do a little core of my being. Yeah. My final question is, and I know, Kavitha, this is probably more appropriate to you. I think you're a bigger college football fan, but do you have strong LSU Alabama thoughts? You know going into the game? Is there a part of the narrative, the storyline of the game that you're particularly interested? Do you have a pick? Do you have a hot take? How are you landing with this matchup of the century?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I think that we've bandied about the idea of the game of the century and how many times we have had the game of the century in the last tenth of a century. It's the best I'm excited to see. First of all, is too a playing do we have Do we have that confirmation.
Speaker 1: He is supposed to play? He is going He had a little procedure done the tightrope procedure on his ankle and supposedly will play what percentage of fully healthy tou h, he'll be nobody knows which.
Speaker 5: By the way, have you guys watched online videos of the tightrope procedure?
Speaker 1: No, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I want to recommend that you do it or not, but you will not be able to unsee it or unfeel it.
Speaker 1: Do you guys have a pick? Do you have any strong thoughts?
Speaker 5: I think it's gonna be LSU's year, man. I mean, they've lost, they've lost for eight straight years. They finally have the team that they've been working towards for a number of seasons. Now they've got the quarterback that they need to finally break the Nick Saban curse. And even though they're on the road, I don't know, I just think this is their year.
Speaker 2: Didn't we do the calculation at some point in preparing for your the two of your episode that we're running that like, Nick Saban in the course of this rivalry is like fourteen and four which team he's coaching?
Speaker 5: That's right? Yeah, Yeah, you'd be silly to bet against Nick Saban if you go by the odds, but I'm going to go against the odds.
Speaker 1: Nick Saban and Math get along quite well. That is the lesson near All right, Kavifa Anders, thank you very much for your time and again anywhere where podcasts can be downloaded and subscribed to do that. For the lead from Wondery and the Athletic. Thanks again, you guys, thank you, thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Dan all right, Dan Cool, I like it. Thank you, good stuff. Check out the lead another great Wondery show. We're happy to be part of the Wondery family and happy to have the lead in our feed every morning.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. Yeah, it's I mean, I love a good podcast as service. We're just like, oh, it's always up there for my commute. I love having that. It's part of the reason we do the Twoes crews up at Tuesday six am Eastern and every you know Thursday six am Eastern previews. So really like podcasting as a utility for your commute. So all in favor for sure.
Speaker 3: Well, don't forget to check that out, and don't forget to check out our week eleven recap show that'll be up on Sunday afternoon. After all the action As you are watching week eleven on this scan tron Saturday.
Speaker 1: You're okay with this? I like it? I like it? Okay, yeah, four oh eight verbal one.
Speaker 3: That's four eight eight three seven two two five one. That's the reverb line. You can also record your own voice on your own phone and send it via your own email to the reverb line at gmail dot com. We're still piloting our little voice memo system with a lot of fun last week, hoping to get more concise messages.
Speaker 1: We have a signal line. Is that a thing do we have? Is there a soliverbal signal for encrypted privacy? Like if you want to be like I just have a super huge cround.
Speaker 3: I mean, if people have any scoops that they want to send us, Oh okay, we can start a signal.
Speaker 1: No, I was saying, a signal for people just to share their secrets, but in an untraceable way. I mean we, oh god, we can do that. I don't just like a Late March show, we reveal verbaler's secrets.
Speaker 3: All right, I'll do it. I just learned that signal existed pretty recently. I will start a signal account for us. Yes, this is gonna get weird.
Speaker 1: I don't know why we'll use it, but we'll use it.
Speaker 4: We'll figure something out.
Speaker 1: Sure, why not?
Speaker 3: All right, I'll do it. I'll do it as soon as we get off here. Done for that guy there, my good friend Dan Rubenstein, for myself Tied Hill the brand. Thank you so much for downloading the show. We will catch you all in a few days.
Speaker 5: Peace,