Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, welcome back. E y L.
Speaker 4: This is an extremely special special edition. I'm excited special, yeah for sure. Before we before we start, we got some housekeeping items. So if you follow E Y L. You know, we've been traveling around. We're hitting all of our major markets, so d C, d M V, Maryland, UH, Virginia. We are coming December seventh and December eighth. We got a whole e y L weekend planned and we're having a workshop on December seventh. Were two of our biggest alumni, Mobile Homes Elite and I got Wall Street Travelers. So we're gonna have a walk, a workshop about investing in mobile homes, and a workshop investing in real est stocks combined and MG the mortgage that will be there as well, so you never know, he might talk about Now it's gonna be a whole vibe and then and then so then that's Saturday, and then Sunday we're going to have our very first live podcast ever and we're going to do it a Capital One Arena. That's where the Wizards play, and they're giving us they're giving us the court.
Speaker 5: They give us court.
Speaker 4: And then what they're gonna do is that anybody that comes to the podcast, they get tickets to the game right after the podcast. But it's not just a regular game. They play the Clippers, and the Clippers have one of the best teams in the league, one of the best players of all time, Kawhi Leonard and Load Management will not.
Speaker 3: Management.
Speaker 4: Kawhi's playing, Paul George is playing, so yeah so and we're also going to live stream the workshop too for fifteen dollars, pretty much giving it away. So if you're interested, go to unier Lesion dot com under the events tab and all of the information is there. So all right, So, as I said, this is very special because you know, music is part of our man. We grew up on hip hop specifically, and we just love music.
Speaker 3: So we talk. We always quote jay Z all the time.
Speaker 4: We always call all these rappers and because that's kind of how we grew up and just listening to rap, that's how we learned. Some things we learned good, some things we learned bad, but that's how we learned. So my man, Mickey Facts is a perfect a perfect guest for ey L. So he had a freestyle that about three months ago went viral on social media and it was with funk Flex and he was talking about credit and when I saw the freestyle, a couple of people had DM me like, YO, you should post this, you should post this. So when I actually sat down because a lot of times you get stuff, you only look at it. So once the third person hit me, I'm like I should Actually, that's three minutes of my time to look at this. And then I looked at it, I'm like, Yo, this is dope. So I reposted it and then it went crazy on my page and then we connected and I'm like, yo, like, would you be interested in coming on the show? He's like, yeah, for sure, So I'll run it down. He's a veteran, veteran in the rap game over a decade of experience. He was on the Double Excel Freshman of the Year cover. Yeah for sure, two thousand and nine Freshmen.
Speaker 5: Right. Yeah, so Bronxe native, we can't forget that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, you know Shout Corey. You know that's that's the birthplace of hip hop. That's that's where it started. So yeah, man, just a veteran in the game. Have been on major labels, independent labels, drop projects, worked with some of the biggest names of hip hop.
Speaker 3: History, from Drake to Kendrick Lamar.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, so.
Speaker 4: You know, it's he's the perfect guest to have because you know, when we talk about entertainment, a lot of times people have aspirations of being in the entertainment business, but you know, they don't really know how to how that works, right, And I was telling Micky off cameras like, there's a lot more people that could relate to his story that could relate jay Z right, because as far as being an independent artist and making a living for yourself and going on tour and selling merch and all of this stuff, there's all things that are viable career. You're making a living out of it, right. So it's like, as an artist, there's no mentorship and there's no blueprint. You're gonna give us some some some free games. So sir, first and foremost, Man, thank you, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, thank you for having me in man excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So all right, so we're gonna kick it off a little different how we usually kick off the podcast. How we're kicking it off, all right, So said this all started with the Funk Flex Freestyle. So we're gonna try to We're gonna have one up on flex, one up on Flex. We're gonna very first, breaking history, very first, y l free style. Yeah, Man's gonna bless us with a hundred boss Yeah. Yeah, Lisa and we're gonna and we're going through it. So yeah, whenever you're ready.
Speaker 6: Man, okay cool. Uh So I'm doing this freestyle you know what I'm saying off of band from TV. Shout out to Norri, Nature, pun I, p Cam and Swiss for making it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: And I hit up for Shad. I was like, you know, I want you to pick the topic. I want you to pick the beat, you know what I'm saying. So Troy picked the beat. Rashad picked the topic. So you know today we're gonna be rapping about you know what I'm saying, entrepreneurs. You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Man, Let's get it going.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 5: Guys. In nineteen.
Speaker 3: That's hour.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I saw what I did on the Flex Show, helping the people get out of debt. Bro Shan gave me a call and told me to flex Moe teach him how to work for himself to get Joe said, Joe, you can think ready for that? He said, Mick, give yourself more credit than that. You tell them the facts. That's when I start remembering back working at a law firm, sort and mailing the fact going to work very poor. I'm making twenty k a twenty four. I can't take it anymore. So I made it my business to make my own business, create my own lane. That the game happened witnessed before. I thought, is a good and a bad guy, and I'm gonna give you both.
Speaker 3: Be a good and a bad guy. Let's start with the good.
Speaker 6: Because you gotta find a niche example considered with mars A Choir Twitch. It was other chocolate bars right in the mix, but the company made tools.
Speaker 3: Womaning gyro rich.
Speaker 6: They saw with the need for something, so they created a product who appease the public. But you gotta do the same. Convent something in your own lane, create the value for the customer you can gain.
Speaker 5: You could put a.
Speaker 6: Barber shop next to a lounge, or start a laundering at in the college town. Got to know what you're getting into with the creative research.
Speaker 3: Don't go and blind you.
Speaker 6: The your arrogance. A doctors can't start a business without knowing its medicine, and author can't start a series without.
Speaker 5: Knowing the narrative.
Speaker 3: Experiment with the benefits of your market.
Speaker 6: Know your demographics. Who are you trying to start with? What is your business plan?
Speaker 3: Here's how you started.
Speaker 6: What is your company about?
Speaker 5: What do you call it?
Speaker 6: Lady out the services, tell us about the product. Flesh out the numbers. What's your repende target and that's what you make hid now subtract what you spens just to make it. That's your profits and loss it yem sure, hold up. I might be stealing. God might give me your ticket from all the speakings. I might get banned from TV with this Preacher and Nor We're gonna have to re release it as a remix and old sixty five and mixtapes with DJ's walk back, he closing and toes with a mean face. I had glasses, skinny jeans, gold supers. Cats saw that to said he had no future. But they were wrong because people were connected, they brought into the brand and it was respected for checker. I don't want DVA from the message. Let's get back to this entrepreneur lesson. Sometimes people do it to get out of stressing. Working for the man to them, whocomes suppressive. So they start a business for income play. But they ain't worried about growth, so the income stays. The problem is if they ever see an income raise, the iron rest on their back. Now incomes grades. You gotta have a good accountant. What does the duck pay yourself? Your own salary? What is enough? Don't get too passive with the money you clutch, or you gonna be a mechanic going under the bus. Now let's talk about the bad and what people don't tell your ninety seven percent of businesses and the failure not because what they did.
Speaker 3: Wrong to other reasons.
Speaker 6: Let me breaking down people. You can go to a neighborhood restaurant every other weekend the going siste kid because the owners with the beegan but he wants to sell it, so the food is the season. Other customers see that and start leaving. Now they gotta shut the business down where you're eating because the founder they want to keep it.
Speaker 3: Another example to believe.
Speaker 6: In is how how you rules the product to those who need it? Is it like breathing? Is it worth pulling my wild out with the feasons? Or should I pass des I ain't got financial freedom. See the things you gotta take in account. A real entrepreneur is never wait in it out. They start one company, let it make in them out, and then sell it before it gets placed in the trout and start another company. Every couple of years after and you can repeat those steps, kind of like staying mastered. This is not actually taught. These are gems that I'm dropping. Hope they actually get caught. Another thing, Stop trying to ask for support. If your product is good, then it's practically brought. So if your man done something and you feel that is basic and you don't support it, being enforced it with a statement, invest in their dreams and state this.
Speaker 5: The best way to predict the future is for you to create it.
Speaker 6: And this is for the work of bees.
Speaker 3: Don't get cocky.
Speaker 6: You get paid for your work.
Speaker 3: Don't be snappy.
Speaker 6: Don't ask to be the bossy whole shits sloppy because a brand new fighter just won't hit rocky. Ownership's not a reward for work. That's the paycheck. The ownerships of rewards for risks. That's the apex ostead of double tapping asses and muscles.
Speaker 5: Google and research the past to the hustling.
Speaker 3: Get you a mentor and asks about the struggle and learn from mistakes.
Speaker 6: Don't brag.
Speaker 5: Keep a subtle.
Speaker 6: The last freestyle had the last Nigga puzzle. I ain't rap about a ring and how a flash.
Speaker 3: On my knuckles.
Speaker 6: A couple of people said that they was trapped in the bubble till they heard my freestyle, and they asked us to double some education and gets you a portions self education and get you a fortunate want to get rich. It's a passion. Trust me, and some people so poor all they really have is money. This verse ain't facetious. Take that lyric down and break the words and pieces. Get you a nice life. Work cohesion, get you one step closer to earn your leisure.
Speaker 5: Heard you heard it? Listen, listen, listen, don't ever play yourself. Listen one take only Nickey Fast is burned down my house.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: I'm glad I got insurance. Lisia has been earned, y'all shy man. That was first time ever. Yeah, first time ever or alsia. Yeah, they're gonna be hitting us out now.
Speaker 6: Yeah yo yo, I was the first.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yo.
Speaker 5: Just listen to my demo.
Speaker 4: Bro, No, that was dope. That was that was dope for me. Man, Once again, thank you for that. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Absolu.
Speaker 4: So yeah, this is gonna be. This is this is dope because all so we got the freestyle and just burned it, burned it down completely, and now we're gonna go into the to the interview part of it to let people know who you are, and then also to to give information for for artists out there that that.
Speaker 3: May not know the game.
Speaker 5: We said, it's not something that's taught. There's no manual for it. People learning on the fly, and forefathers before, you know, maybe they were learning on the fly as well, so they didn't pass it down. So we're gonna get into that today.
Speaker 3: So can we talk about your journey? So it's interesting.
Speaker 4: So you were saying you was, you was in college and she was in n y U and I guess after one year you just figured that school route wasn't for you, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I was. I was studying law, you know, and paralegal studies specifically, and I remember being in the front of criminal justice class drinking a triple shot of espresso with my coffee still falling asleep, and you know, I feel like, you know, and just education works for some people, but for others is to retain some knowledge. It's just it just didn't work for me in that way. So I decided that, you know, I was going to take something that I was doing as a hobby seriously. So I was like, you know what, let me just you know, at the time, I managed it and my and I was like, yo, if you really want to do this, you gotta be serious and quit.
Speaker 5: So you started college already doing the music thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was already doing music before I went to college. I had prolonged college for like six years. I had went two thousand and seven. I had graduated high school two thousand. So as soon as I got to college, I deal with most black people do they just get a job because they want to get to the money. You know, they want money. So I went and worked for six years and then and I was like, all right, let me go to school to make my mother happy. But it didn't make me happy. So I just kind of left.
Speaker 5: Twenty four thousand a year. Couldn't take it.
Speaker 6: I was, yeah, it was literally and this was five four five was making twenty four thousand a year, you know.
Speaker 4: So so all right, so you decided to drop out of school. What is it like, what's your next steps in order to pursue your music career.
Speaker 6: I mean at that time, the internet was just butting and I buzzn't Yes, I was on MySpace heavy, and we were changing top eights. We was making people change their top aids, you know what I'm saying. And we just kind of we I had a graphic design person who knew how to work with the HTML and had our backgrounds looking good. So we was, you know, we was a kind of ahead of the game in that aspect. So when people would go to my page, they would see it was completely different from what other myndspace pages were. And we were also utilizing Facebook and Twitter around this time. This is before it was like what it is today. So we were using the internet when when hip hop wasnouncing the internet like hip hop was denouncing.
Speaker 5: It at that time, music is being stolen.
Speaker 6: Music was right, it was being pirated still, but people were still purchasing. It didn't go into the era of free music just yet, like you could get freestyle like people who still buy music, but people would go on these sites to get freestyles and certain videos, you know what I'm saying, Because there wasn't I think iTunes was out, but it wasn't like concrete just yet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you built a team around you. Yeah, so who's consistent in this team In the early.
Speaker 6: Days, it was a Saint he was my manager and creative director. Then I had Steve O who was also creative director, slash A and R. I had a stylist Quas, I had a producer, Precise. I have my own personal assistant, Lakita. I had a hype man.
Speaker 3: So how did all this come about?
Speaker 6: Though?
Speaker 3: As far as like, you leave college, I'm assuming you don't have any money.
Speaker 6: I had ten thousand dollars save, all.
Speaker 3: Right, So how do you fund the operation? At the beginning stages?
Speaker 6: I mean in two thousand and seven, from what I remember, we I put all my money into a project called Flashback, which was basically wrapping over old school beats, but we had my producer remake them to be newer. We wanted to get DJs to but DJs were too expensive, so we just basically created it and put it on my Space. When we saw it didn't do anything, we put it out July twenty seven, two thousand and seven. We saw it didn't do anything, I started working on another project called Heaven's Fallout, and I sampled the Geico commercial beat you know what I'm saying, and I wrapped over that. When I wrapped over that, it started to gain attention because it wasn't a typical hip hop beat. Then I sampled Arms the Arms Race remix which Kanye on it, and the Fallout Boys and Gym Class Heroes. The Gym Class Heroes and fall Out Boys management heard that and called me up. I was like, okay, we want to make you a part of this team, you know, we want to manage you. And this is all off my space and this is like unheard of around this time. And then I put another record out called Stop Me. I sampled Daniel Merriwether and then I sampled another track called Tokyo Shit. When I did that, that's when Fader picked me up. And then after once Fader picked me up, mind you, this is no. I didn't have no money. We haven't spent a dollar yet. Once Fader picked me up, everybody picked me up. You are b Billboard, Rolling Stone, Vibe, the Sauce Sauce in Double Xcel were actually the last people to pick me up.
Speaker 3: But at that.
Speaker 6: Point we were using the Internet when other rappers really weren't. Like it was a couple of us like Me Cuddy, the cool kids, cool kids. Well while a we were like the ones using the Internet to get out whereas there was like at that time, it was like fifty cent Kanye. They were all still doing the traditional.
Speaker 5: They were still like a crew love type situation, right, like the crew was hot and then somebody from that crew was goawing off and blow up.
Speaker 6: But also the labels just didn't know how to maneuver it on the Internet. They tried to fight napster, they tried to fight technology. They they tried to fight all of that, and they didn't realize like they were guys that were more popular than me in the streets. But I was touring like I was traveling. I went to Japan, I went to China before I performed in New York City by myself, you know what I'm saying. Because I had fans all over the place, and DJ's at the time in New York City were charging way too much money. I just couldn't afford it. So I made the Internet my fan base. And then when I did that, I started putting a song a week out every week. I put a new song out every week for free. And when people saw the work ethic on that, it just kind of was like a mushroom.
Speaker 5: When you say DJs was charging too much, you mean in the sense of DJ's playing the records on the radio, or DJ's making actual records for you.
Speaker 6: DJ's playing the records on the radio, DJs to take your song and put it on a mixtape, DJs to host your mixtape, DJs to play the music in the club, DJs to play the music at events. DJ is just they hear the song.
Speaker 5: They wanted money, So that's crazy.
Speaker 3: Payola, Paola, that's a real thing. Payola is a real thing.
Speaker 4: If anybody's not payola. That's when you pay people to play music on radio station. It's a federal offense.
Speaker 6: Right, it is a federal offense.
Speaker 3: So people really do that, you know.
Speaker 6: It's one of those things.
Speaker 5: It's one of those things where incriminated.
Speaker 6: No, no, I mean, I mean, it's one of those things where like if you hear a song on the radio, I'm I mean, first of all, I believe all of us in here, we grew up in the era of the nineties and the two thousands, Hot ninety seven. It wasn't power one five at that time. We all am not. We all tried to call up the Hot ninety seven. Any of us ever get through, No, no.
Speaker 5: Never, I've never trying to call when when DJ red Alert was on Kiss FM, and did you ever get through?
Speaker 3: Never?
Speaker 6: Man, never, and you're not gonna you weren't gonna get through because it's already a programmed kind of situation. The music is already programmed for what they're gonna play. Program director, they already the songs are already programmed to play because of how popular it was already it already was, or because the label paid for that.
Speaker 4: M So all right, that's interesting. I didn't know that even to for the DJ to either hear your record.
Speaker 5: All you ever hear is like, yo, I don't take money.
Speaker 3: I don't take a DJs have too much power, not anymore, they used to.
Speaker 6: They used to have tons of power.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I would imagine, like and there was a certain time when DJs would break the record right right now.
Speaker 3: Like the internet's breaking the record.
Speaker 5: I mean, people break their own records.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean when I was when I was on Jive, I was frustrated because I was like, they wanted me to do the DJ stuff and DJ and I wanted to say I'm not against DJs, but I felt like it was archaic because like at some point, like people are not going to go to the radio to listen to music anymore. They're all now they're listening to music on Spotify, they listening to music on Title, They're listening to YouTube, you know YouTube. So I felt like it was archaic and they didn't want to hear me at the label. They was like, now you still gotta do it, You still got to do it.
Speaker 4: I was like, Okay, you know what's crazy is that, Like the first time I heard about Takashi was like I think a year and a half ago, and it was Uncle Murders Yearly Week. He does like the Yearly Reek after so he's mentioned his name. And when he mentioned his name, like, I like googled him, Like I looked on Instagram. And when I looked on Instagram, he had two million followers. So I'm like, how does he have He's from Brooklyn, he got rainbow head YEP. I'm like, that's I say that to say, I was so out of the loop. Two million people had already been follow him, He's on tour overseas. He was already hot, and I only heard about him because of Uncle MURDA said his name was way bigger than Uncle Murder.
Speaker 5: The radio is only playing twelve records. If you listen to it, it's just twelve records over and over, just the time span and then like they have maybe a new at two section that's like forty five minutes throughout the day. Most people in their cars, it's the same records over and over. Unless they're doing like a show, like an interview that's coming on, that's it. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean, like like with Rashaw just said like this, I find new artists and I be shocked that they have over five hundred thousand followers. I find new artists all the time and they just have tons and tons of followers and they sell out venues they don't. And I'm one million percent sure they didn't pay a DJ to be on the radio. They didn't pay anybody to make it happen. They just kind of had their own following. People brought into their brand, like I said in the rap, and they were connected to it and that's what made them pop.
Speaker 5: That's one of the things I think Brooklyn Johny has said that He's like, you want to make it get hot where you are right in your town, then the city will be in love with you, and then your state will find you and then by that time the industry will come get you. Yep.
Speaker 6: That's how it works.
Speaker 4: So all right, So in the next second, we're going to talk about your experience going from a major to be an independent or everything in between. All right, So you was telling me that you actually have an interesting experience because you you've seen all sides of the game. Yes, from from living the high life being on major labels, to having endorsement deals from Fortune five hundred companies yep, to be an independent and having to grind it out yourself. So all right, can we talk about your experience on on the major labels and how did that work out for you? Is it like because everybody talks about majors and majority of people that always talk about majors is always it's interesting to me, Like even when Kissing was on the radio a few years ago and they said that they was gonna like throw pop off a roof and all that, it's interesting because everybody has bad to kiss that beautiful, But everybody always has negative things to say about major labels, but everybody always signed to major labels.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know I heard Jim like Jim Jones was probably one of the biggest independent artists, right, and he had you know, independent independent until recently he's like, yo, you need the major because there's certain things that they can provide that you can't as an independent artist.
Speaker 4: So your your experience, how was it being on because you're on a few majors, how was how was that experience?
Speaker 6: I mean it was it was a great experience, and then it was like a weird experience. So the great experience of it was it was more clout for everybody basically, so like once you say a job recording artists mickey facts, it's like, ah, everybody's all over you. You know what I'm saying. But essentially what it is is a bank loan. You know, they give you a lot of upfront money and you use that money to live off of and fund your project. You know what I'm saying. Use that and so they give you half upfront and that half of whatever you sign for is to live off of.
Speaker 5: That's the events.
Speaker 6: That's the events, and then the other half of the money is for your marketing budgets and whatever else that you spend studio time, features, production, things like that. And basically, if you run out of your money, of the upfront advance money. Then you have to kind of grind it out, but it's limitations on what you could do because the label still owns your name, content and things of that nature.
Speaker 3: Before.
Speaker 6: But one thing with me, like before I did my deal, I had to hond a commercial, I had a sponsorship with Puma, I had EA sports scenarios, so I had my own merchandise. So when I signed to Jive Battery, they couldn't take They couldn't three sixty me because I was already moving and I was already already had certain situations put in place. So that was the good part of it, you know, and being able to meet people that were in the industry, go to their parties, the events, and and you know, eat for free and things like that. But you know, when it was time to kind of put the music out, Jive had folded. So everybody that was on job at the time, justin Timberlake, Chris Brown, myself, there was a couple other artists that was on it, like big pop artists, like they were a big pop label. We all were in limbo. So I got moved to RCAA and had a whole nother team, a whole nother deal, and it was rough because it was people there who didn't believe in the project in the first place to sign me. You know. So I I did a record with John Legend at the time. I did a record with Bruno Mars, did a record with Yellow Wolf, and they just didn't the an R just wasn't fans.
Speaker 3: They didn't understand me.
Speaker 6: They didn't understand it because he wasn't invested into it.
Speaker 5: Coach Chilling Labels.
Speaker 3: So one thing, one thing that you said was interesting.
Speaker 4: Because, like I said, we we grew up on hip hop and like even in my brain like I have, it's weird, like somebody else say something and then lyric triggers that I remember from fifteen years ago. So one of the greatest rappers of all time Cannabis right, he is one of.
Speaker 3: The greats from last six It was pretty crazy.
Speaker 4: It didn't work out for him, but people won't remember him. No, no, no, no, he's one of the great that boy. But one of the things that he always said that stuck with me. He said, he said, did you actually your label if it was with Coopable. I'm sure the vehicle was probably beautiful, but did you actually like label if it was with Coopable. So you talked about like the events, So can you just break that because I'm actually interested to know, Like, they give you a million dollars, right, right, but that's your budget, yes, So now out of that million dollars, your studio time is.
Speaker 6: On the second half of the budget. So if you get if I had a million dollar deal, I would get five hundred thousand up front, and out of that five hundred thousand, automatically, my attorney has to get paid, my manager has to get paid, my accountant has to get paid. They keep the other five hundred thousand dollars to do everything that needs to be done in terms of marketing, studio time, features, and then the other Well, if it's five hundred thousand that I keep, I would probably keep three seventy five after paying everybody out. And with that three seventy five, I shouldn't go and buy a chain. I shouldn't go and buy a car, a super expensive car. At least I should buy something that's practical by home by a practical car, and wait until you know you're touring and you start seeing publishing and things like that, because it's basically a loan and it's taxed.
Speaker 4: Also, it is taxed, So the three seventy five is really like two fifty.
Speaker 6: I can you could have it taxed, or you can take it up front and handle it on your own. I took it all up front and handled it on my.
Speaker 3: Own and pay the taxes laid on.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 5: So when a label says that when we hit a lot of times, they were cooping the money, how's that happen?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: They're recooping the money off of your record sales?
Speaker 5: All right, So the money that they gave you as advance, they're taking it back from what you sold.
Speaker 6: Yes, in the event that you sell, In the event that you sell, in the event that you don't, in the event that you don't, you in the red. They could write you off as a tax as a as a tax right off, or you're in debt, you're on the label, you're in the red.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So how is it as far as label politics?
Speaker 4: As far as because you said when you switched labels, the other label didn't believe in in the project the way the first label did, right, So, like I always wanted it this too. Where it's like people push their albums back, Like how did what is it to say? Okay, you're green lit for a release in April?
Speaker 3: Do you coming out?
Speaker 4: Like how does that look from the inside, Cause a lot of people we just see from the outside of fans, this person's album keeps getting pushed back or this person quick but we don't know, like the single might not have worked, or they wanted him to go in a different direction, Like how does that work at that right?
Speaker 6: A lot of times it's analytics that people that the other people in the office is you know, doing. So they'll put a record out for a feeler or you know, to to test it at radio to see what's going on, what's the response, and if they're not getting another if they're not getting a good enough response, they're not gonna start putting gasoline to the fire because the fire is already out there. When the song is on the radio, it's in the DJ pool, it's uh, you you send it to the tastemakers or whatever, but the consumer hasn't gotten to the record just yet. So they used to have a mixed show. Now everything is streaming, you know what I'm saying, But before it was all mixed show taste makers. You had to do DJ meetings, you know, go to the go to different cities and go to the the radio station and talk to the DJs and basically beg them to play the record and they would play it during the mixed show hour, which would be before prime time five to seven. The DJs have free range to kind of play whatever they wanted to play, and if there was enough impact on the record, they were added into rotation. After the label would then put money behind the song, so the label would make their money back off of licensing the song. The label makes their money back off of the radio spins. The label makes their money back off of the publishing sometimes the royalties and as well as album sales. So that's how the label went. But then when they when they when they saw that Napster was coming around, that's when they started the three sixty deal. So I need ten percent of your taking. I need ten percent.
Speaker 5: Of everything basically, So like when you said they could make it back off the album, is that when the points come into play.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's what points come into play, and everybody gets a point. So basically you give a point to this producer for making a beat or if they made like if I paid Swiss to do three beats, I would give him a point on the album along. It's like you get ten to twelve points on an album album and the points go One point goes to executive producer, one point goes to another executive producer, then you give one to producers who make beats. You take like two to three points, and then the label keeps the rest of it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Basically, so a guy like J Cole who produces the album has no features and executive producer, he's keeping all the points.
Speaker 3: Yes, So what's difference between points and masters?
Speaker 6: Masters are the master recordings that you own. So if this, let's just say, Earn your Leisure was a studio and I didn't sign a record deal. If I pay you to record here, I own my masters. If I come here for free to record here, Troy owns the masters. You know what I'm saying. Rashard owns the masters. If I sign a record label, if I signed a record label, if I signed a record deal, I relinquished my rights to the masters, depending on what kind of attorney I have. So now black artists are now starting to be a little bit more smarter and they want to own their masters. But before everyone was intellectual and smart, people signed their masters a way to get that upfront money, not knowing that the master recording is basically and essentially the foundation of owning your music and your money. So if for example, I'll use outcasts for an example, I think they wanted I think there was the label wanted to I think license one of their songs for the super Bowl and it was a very big record and a very big commercial. Big Boy signed this licensing thing. The label signed it, but Andre didn't want to say on it. So because Andre didn't want to sign it, because they owned some of their masters, because they made so much money, they weren't able to use the record.
Speaker 5: People don't even know that, Like Alcaz has the biggest hip hop selling out of all time. Right.
Speaker 6: But in the event that they didn't own a portion of their masters, the label could have said we're selling, we're licensing this song, and we're going to keep the money and they get a piece of the money, right.
Speaker 4: And then and then the publishing is when the writing the writing and right right, So in the composition.
Speaker 6: Yes, So a lot of times people get publishing confused when they read credits.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: So when you consider someone like Drake, right, people say Drake has ghostwriters. And right when you look at the credits and you see someone like Drake's name, you see Aubrey Graham, right, and you see about ten of the names, they're like, oh, Drake has nine other writers. No, Sometimes I want to say, I want to say ninety nine one hundred percent of the time he's writing his records. I feel like that one time that you know.
Speaker 3: He had reference track, say the entire entire song.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that one time, I think I think it was I think he was trying to give someone a shot exactly. You know what I'm saying. He was giving somebody a shot, right, and it leaked. But when you see ten names on the project, music is written, there's a producers write music. It's not just producing you you're writing the music. So they're writers on the song as well. And if it's a sample, the people that they sampled are also in the credits. They're writers as well. So I don't want people to like you might see like if you check credits, you'll see jay Z and and a bunch of other people, but that doesn't mean people wrote jay Z's.
Speaker 5: Lyrics probably make more money off the album.
Speaker 6: And you well, you see name on other people's but you know, I actually listen. I challenged people to look at them old albums and if you know some of these rappers governments names.
Speaker 5: That was That's exactly how I started knowing everyone's name. I would read the credits and like.
Speaker 4: You have to open them up opening and you can see who wrote it in the opening credits and all of that. So all right, So this is an interesting conversation because it's very complex and you obviously you are a very intelligent person, right, but you're taking a kid off the street with no education. How is he s posted to navigate through masters, publishing points, budgets.
Speaker 3: How do you have And.
Speaker 5: It's something that nobody taught you when you came in the game. Nobody taught me to know.
Speaker 6: So it's like but a lot of it was also because I was working at a law firm like you guys are in the freestyle, So like I would give my contracts to the junior partners at the firm and we will all look at it together and they will break things down to me. So I kind of understood my contracts. So I had them checking my attorney's work, you know, and I'm checking their work. You know what I'm saying, check lawyers, and.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding of professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member fdic ernest What's up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, or seats of digital tipping is breeze and you're out the door before the line even builds Odds are they're using Square? We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless, whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 7: Is realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday? How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed and Listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need for kids.
Speaker 6: I mean, I wasn't taught a lot. I wish I was, but you know, in this game, I just feel like, you know, black men, for whatever reason, they're just not, you know, reaching back, or maybe there is a disconnect. I don't want to say black men are not reaching back. Maybe black men do want to reach back. But I feel like there's a language barrier that has to be kind of severed in order for us to kind of, you know, interact with the younger generation. You know what I'm saying. I feel like sometimes they're the younger generation, they have this pushback to the older generation because they're the gatekeepers.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: I went through that as a young artist. But if an older artist would have came to me and been like, listen, you need to do this, this, this, this, this is that and that and that I would have listened. You know what I'm saying. As far as your question, what does a young kid do? Man, I mean I would suggest, you know, being headstrong and trying to find a mentor. That should be the number one thing to do, someone who actually cares about your career, someone who actually knows the business and knows what to do and how to navigate around certain things. Because there is no retirement plan in music. There is no fall one K plan in music. There is no healthcare in music. There is no dental plan in music. I have my own separate insurance. I have my own I pay a lot for insurance. We I have my own four one K plan, own life assurance. You know, I have to take care of these things myself because if I don't, nobody else will.
Speaker 4: It's interesting you said that because like when we spoke off camera and I was saying that, like Sequel is one of our favorite rappers. So when he said, with no union, no dental plan, I can't eat off one honey grant.
Speaker 5: I got cavities, and I got cavities.
Speaker 4: I need feeling, yo. So when you when when these are things that know? Until Seguel said that I've never even thought about it. Like, rappers have no union, right, even actors have a union, yep, rappers have no I heard nor saying like they like they should try to have a rappers union.
Speaker 6: It's imperative because.
Speaker 3: It's like even on a label, do they do they have benefits on a label?
Speaker 6: Yes, you do get benefits on the label, but you have to opt into it, you have to pay into it. And again, once rappers get a check, that's it, man.
Speaker 5: And is it the same if they get dropped from the labels, Like if I get fired for my job, obviously I'm not part of that anymore.
Speaker 6: That's it what you're doing drop? Yeah, I mean it's it's one of those things where they're taking uneducated, impoverished black young men and young girls and throwing money in their face. So think about us eighteen, nineteen years old, seventeen, even twenty. If someone offers you a ton of money, you're not thinking about four one K, You're not thinking about health and arans because that stuff already comes out your check. And it's interesting because I feel like most Americans probably wouldn't think about that shit either if it wasn't already taken out of the check. So you put this stuff in front of a young black kid, They're not thinking that. The first thing they're thinking about is getting drippy, getting lived how fast can I didn't buy a chain, like, I didn't buy a chain with my advance. I did not. I wanted I wanted a place to live, you know. I wanted my own place to stay, you know. And that was the first thing that I did, you know what I'm saying. I didn't get a chain. I didn't get a nice car. I had a free call shout to Honda. But I didn't want any of that, like, because I knew I had to recoup the money, and I knew I had to live off of this money, even though I had a booking agent. I knew at some point that the hotness would dissipate, you know what I'm saying, So I had to save and stack my bread.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing too, Like you said, with the hotness, a lot of times you feel like you're in and you'll be hot forever, exactly like y'all got this, I'm on top of the world, but in three years you're not on top of the world.
Speaker 3: Are you already spent your bread? Yep.
Speaker 4: So it's like, what do you do You don't have any formal education, and always said the music business. I want to actually this because we like being in like we're interviewing people now kind of like making all rounds around the music industry. So I told Troy, I'm like this, this music industry. I remember Chris Gotti told us this when you interviewed them.
Speaker 3: Shout to Chris.
Speaker 4: He was like this, this isn't a real industry. It's the only place where you can be a high level executive with no qualification.
Speaker 3: Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: You know that's true.
Speaker 5: I mean it's we run into people and we're.
Speaker 4: Like, really, like, how do you how you call? How did this happen to give somebody a million dollar budget? You don't, you're just friends with somebody, but you just.
Speaker 5: You was hanging out with them and they.
Speaker 6: Put you on intern and you learn here, and it's like, we have a good you picked the right record, you were there at the right time, and that happened to a lot of guys, and.
Speaker 5: You're a senior executive because you picked the right guy at that time. Yep.
Speaker 4: But then somebody else told us that that's kind of done on purpose because the higher ups keep it unorganized, unprofessional, because it's like a bunch of chickens just running with the heck's cut off. The artist don't really know what they're doing, but a lot of executives don't really know what they're doing either, but the high level executive they know. So if you keep if you keep them like kind of drugged up, and they don't really know their later meetings, and it's very it's not it's not a real business. It's not run like a real meeting. No, it's real, it's not run like a real business.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 6: So I was going into the off I was going into the label every like twice a week, and it was to the point that people thought I was an employee there because I just wanted to know what was happening with my project every two days. I just needed to know, you know what I mean. And that's how I was able to have a great rapport with a lot of the people that were there. I was about to call them co workers, but they were technically were my co workers, you know. And you know, I feel like artists just just just let things they just let things go how it's supposed to go.
Speaker 5: It's like, I just want to create the music. I just want to create.
Speaker 3: That's what Cheese says.
Speaker 4: Jesz has a clip that's one viral on Instagram saying that he got taken advantage of because he wasn't educated pretty much paraphrasing, he wasn't educated on music business. He had lawyers that screwed him over, and he felt he felt intimidated to even let somebody know what was going on because he's geezy, he's a snowman, so it's like for him to get ripped off, it's embarrassing, and he just went with it because he didn't know.
Speaker 3: He didn't know what to do.
Speaker 5: How do I tell somebody like I'm the snowman and this little guy over here with a bow tie every day.
Speaker 6: I Mean, it's frustrating because this should be some sort of educational workshop for new artists that come into the game. There's so many people that don't know anything about the music business. And a lot of times these guys, they some of these guys don't finish high school and they, you know, they get into the game and they just think the money's going to come in forever. But think about, like if it comes at all, right, but think about ten years ago. Who was here ten years ago then and it's not here now, you know what I'm saying. Or even twenty years ago like a mill like and that's not a fact. That was twenty years ago. Yeah, you know, and she was a talented artist, but she's not here no more. Like I'm not saying that I don't think I want to be here, you know, past another ten years. But what I'm saying is, utilize this time to ask questions. There's nothing wrong with asking questions. I feel like sometimes we're just so prideful. There's certain things that we just don't want to know or we're too afraid to ask, you know what I mean. And for me, I asked questions. I'm always curious as to know why a certain person popped, or how a certain person got hot, or how they got hot in their town, what did they do to get to that next level. I absorbed this information so I can take it. I mentor like about ten or fifteen kids, you know what I'm saying, young artists, because I feel like that wasn't given to me, so I should give it back, you know what I mean. And it's imperative that these kids know these things because this this is our future.
Speaker 3: That's a fact.
Speaker 4: So that's a perfect sebuay into our last seven, we're gonna talk about the independent game, what you got going on now? And yeah, educate people want to be talking about the major side, we're gonna talk about the Yeah, all right, So in the last seven, we're going to talk about the journey, your journey as an independent artist. This is something I think is extremely valuable because, as I said, there's a lot more independent artists out there, especially now, millions of than are major label artists. So, all right, how does it work being an independent artist?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: As far as is it is it you fund the stuff yourself or is it that they funded a hybrid approach?
Speaker 3: Like, how does that work to be an independent artist?
Speaker 6: I mean, there's different ways to be an independent artist. The best way to just kind of explain is tell my story real quick. I mean, after leaving the label in twenty twelve, at the beginning of twenty thirteen, I had ninety thousand dollars in the bank, and then at the end of twenty thirteen, I had four dollars and fourteen cents in my bank. Account. I made a song about it's called four fourteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I say remember yeah, because I remember looking at the bank statement like this is that's unbelievable, and that I think my back was against the wall because, like we said earlier, I didn't have any job experience from twenty thirteen, well from twenty seven to twenty thirteen, so I'm looking at six years of just not working, just doing music. So I panicked. I tried to get a job. It didn't work, so I was like, okay, I have to be an artist. Even though I quit, I was like, I'm not doing this anymore. And then I was like, oh, I gotta pay rent. So from that point I had to kind of figure out and navigate what my supporters we're going to buy from me as a as a consumer. So I realized that they appreciate my lyrics, they appreciate my honesty, they appreciate merchandise, they appreciate seeing me. So I had to create this whole. I had to basically start all over again, and but I started all over again with a cushion because I had a fan base, so I had to make merch I spent all the money myself. I funded everything myself with a little bit of money that I had. You know, I was working with new artists, you know, doing features and taking that money and reinvesting it to be able to sustain a living. And so now I'm in a position where it is a hybrid situation where I fund some of it and then I have soul Spasm funding some of it as well. So it's a partnership would come together and then you know, we split the costs down the middle.
Speaker 4: Okay, so how is it as far as like, do they distribute your music as well?
Speaker 6: Yes, they distribute all my music on all streaming platforms and they handle that side of it, so I'm able to give them my whole catalog. They take a percentage off of that catalog, and I get a check every month.
Speaker 5: So everything you did prior to coming to the independently though, you have.
Speaker 6: I own? Yeah, I own everything, Yeah, even from the label, because again I didn't sign a three sixty deal and I was in the black. I was not in the red.
Speaker 4: So all right, So as far as like press, do you do you handle that yourself or is that you get help with that?
Speaker 6: I handled my press myself. I mean, on my last project, we hired a publishers to do the work, and he got me on you know, some some online sites and some playlists on some streaming sites, and you know some radio on serious satellite and things like that. So that stuff always helps. But for the most part, a lot of it is relationships, having your own relationships, building your own relationships, so like I can hit Sway from Swaying the morning on my own and be like I want to come up there, or just even how I'm up here, Like I hit Rashard myself and was like, yo, I want to come up here.
Speaker 5: You know. Yeah, how about Tory, I know you mentioned you had a booking agent. That's still true or do you handle that now yourself?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I handle all my booking now. I mean I had an agent last earlier this year, but it just didn't work out the way I wanted it to work out, and even previously I had agents before. But you know, I have a baby on the way, I have a wife at home, so if they're not booking me the shows, I have to book my shows myself, okay. And I hired promoters to you know, get the people in there. Along with promoting on my own and making it happen. And you know, running a van on my.
Speaker 3: Own, you know you're putting the money up yourself.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I put it up the money myself.
Speaker 3: So all right the road.
Speaker 4: So you talk about streaming, how much do you get paid for stream Like what's that breakdown? Because I've seen a bunch of different numbers on the internet, like a quarter, a fraction of a penny for every stream? Is there a set number that everybody gets for streaming?
Speaker 6: Or yes, everybody gets the same set number. It's like zero point point point point. No, it's point it's zero point zero zero zero six. And then the numbers is like pi three point four world, you know what I'm saying. But it's basically zero point zero zero zero six. And then you have to make you have to stream so much in order to see like a decent jack.
Speaker 4: What's the what's the one that you get paid for the most? Like streaming service?
Speaker 3: Is it title?
Speaker 5: They say?
Speaker 6: Title is the is the morning the most? You get paid the most from title? But you still need all all streaming sites in order to get a decent jack. You can't just put on title. So for instance, like what my when my pay she comes in every month? You know, it's not just title. It's title, it's Spotify, it's Pandora, it's Apple Music, it's iTunes when people purchase the music, which is always the best because you keep eighty percent of the money. So if it's ninety nine cents, you keep eighty cents of that. Apple takes twenty cents. Okay, so that's that's the best. And then YouTube as well, and Vimeo and TikTok. Now, so combine these seven to eight companies and you should receive a decent check a decent check.
Speaker 5: How do you make it to those curated playlists because like I'm not just saying, I'm thinking, like songs just pop in there. Like once I download a certain playlist, if a new artist comes in it just do you have to pay for that? As there's somebody at the streaming service that actually just says, oh, I like that song, we're putting that in there.
Speaker 6: I mean, sometimes it's the labels that own the playlist. Sometimes if you're very cool with the people that run the playlist, you can get lucky. Or if you're a very popular artist and the song is very popular, they'll the person who runs the playlist will put that song on the playlist, but you know, the labels figured it out, so they kind of have control of everything.
Speaker 4: Again, So like, are your payments coordinated through like all seven that come to you streamlined at one time? Yes, from and that's from the label that puts it on. Yes, Then they cut the check, then they take a percentage out of that, and then they putting all right, So it's like CD baby or something like that, right, or toon Core.
Speaker 6: Or toon Core right. But sol Spasm is my distribution, so and I guess my checks would be different from another person's checks because I have sixteen to seventeen projects, so I'm like steps ahead of someone who might only have two or three projects. You have leverage, so like I'm getting a substantial amount of money every single month.
Speaker 5: That's mixtapes and albums can combined.
Speaker 4: But the mixtapes all right, so let's talk about mixtapes mixtape that's how does that work?
Speaker 3: Same same thing? Could you put mixtapes on streaming services too?
Speaker 6: Right now people are putting them on there, but before it was the cool But I think you can put them on there now, but it's still it's still like.
Speaker 5: What's the difference, Like, like I know Drake put out a playlist, then there was there's mixtapes.
Speaker 4: And there's albums. He just came out with his first album, but he has like six projects. What's the differences.
Speaker 5: It's not like.
Speaker 6: The marketing rollout from the label. Okay, that's the only thing different. Because he was on he's on Massive Pill Deaf Jam, I believe. So massa Pill was handling the mixtapes and they were putting that stuff out, so he was probably getting financed by mass A Pill. They were, they were handling that. But then this big project is a death Cham thing, so like deaf Cham is now handling the rollout. They're probably taking that budget from when he first signed four years ago or whatever, and now they're using that money to push this project. Like how it is, you know, that's how it works essentially.
Speaker 5: How about endorsements that I know you said that you have one with a Sports and Puma and of course.
Speaker 6: Yeah you got the before Yeah, I mean a lot of that stuff was before I had did my record deal. So they just were interested in the brand they built. They bought into who I was, what I represented. They saw that, you know, this kid is an image that can be pushed out there without being too flashy. That was one of the reasons why Honda chose me, because I was not flashy. I didn't have a big chain on. I didn't have the crazy jewels on. I didn't come in there and talking crazy. I was an intellectual. I was an everyday person. What is a Honda Hondas for everyday person? You know what I'm saying. It's a great card at lasts, So you know that money was from them, and then Puma. You know, I worked with Puma for a little while for like two years. They gave me product that would wear the product and get that stuff seen all over because I was a sneak ahead. I'm still a big sneak ahead. And then you know I also did UH. I also did EA Sports. I was very cool with the music supervisor with the Rafa Lean shot out to her and we kind of just continuously worked for like five years. I was on like every EA game you could potentially think of, except for Madden. Like I was on like hockey. I was a need for speed. I was on FIFA No, no, not FIFA part of me. I was on the sims like I have a.
Speaker 5: Sim so you get royalty checks from the game the person.
Speaker 6: And now you don't get royalty checks, you just get up front show. But the commercial you got royalty checks. Yes, I got as long as the commercial played. Yes, the commercial. That commercial ran for about four or five years, and I was getting checks every day for four or five years, no part of four five months, four five months, and I was getting I was getting checks every single day, every day.
Speaker 4: So they calculate like how many times it aired, and then they send you a percentage of that.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, on top of my music being in it, and on top of me acting in it. Like it was like three separate.
Speaker 5: Checks, music check, acting check, and then a residual check. A lot of checks.
Speaker 6: It was a lot of checks. There's a lot of checks me, all right.
Speaker 4: So if I'm a kid that just loves music, I'm recording, can you give me some advice, Like what's the first steps? I don't have a major break record deal, but I want to get my music out there?
Speaker 3: What do What do I do?
Speaker 6: First steps is to build a team. It's like a pyramid scheme. You know that I used to sell Kirby vacuums back in the day. You know what I'm saying. And even like the Cutcold Knives, and it was I want to say, you're selling Eastna, But you know, I would have to go into these wild areas to sell these things. And whenever we would come back to base, they will always say to me, you need to go to your friends parents' homes, and you need to go to their friends parents' homes. And that's how it needs to happen. So I would tell a kid start, start a team. Start a team of five to six people, and everybody has to have a specific amount of network where they, you know, pushing your music consistently and constantly to different people, and it has to be music has to be hot, and they have to concentrate not on the numbers. You know what I'm saying, Like, I feel like we're in the era of it's just so much clout and how many likes you have and how many views you have and this, and that they are artists that have more followers than me on Instagram, they have more views than me on Instagram, more likes, and they're broke and they don't know what to do with their career. They're in a rut. And I know artists that have less followers than me, that are doing better than me when it comes to moving and shaking and getting this stuff out there. So it's all about focusing on exactly what your goals are. Have people that are knowledgeable in your corner as well as having people that have the same goals and beliefs that you have. And spread this word out to every and anybody that has ears that want to hear it, and just create. Create, create content that people feel as valuable. You know, if you're not creating the content that people feel as valuable, then you can, you know, be a mechanic or something.
Speaker 3: You know what I How stressful is it? How stressful is it to be a to be an artist?
Speaker 4: That's another thing I don't think people fully understand, Like it's not it's not easy profession, And yeah, how stressful is it?
Speaker 6: I work twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. Sometimes my wife is angry at me because I'm always working, But that's what it takes. I feel like if, like you said, some artists do get hot and then they stay hot for like two three years, and then that's it. You don't hear from them no more, you know what I mean. I'm one of those guys that's been out for eleven years now, I'm living off of music. I make six figures a year just independently, you know what I'm saying. And I know what a little bit more backing, I could crack seven figures easily because I know exactly what to do. I know how to do it. I know how to maneuver. But a lot of guys they don't. Sometimes they just don't want to hear. I feel like sometimes they just don't want to hear these these things. You know what I'm saying. Artists don't want to hear work, work, work, work work. They just want to get to the bag. It's all about the fast money.
Speaker 5: Fast money don't last too long. You gotta chase it.
Speaker 6: Fast money don't last money. That's a good quote, you know what I'm saying. It just doesn't. You have to. You have to diversify, like I don't. I don't just rap either, you know what I'm saying. Like I try to make investments on certain things, like you know, trying to buy home. You know what I'm saying. Looking, I was just telling a man off camera, I'm trying to get a tesla because it doesn't depreciate. It appreciates in value. Also just investing in different companies. Like there's a company that's doing marijuana, cannabis stuff, but it's from the health side of it. So it's called Glenn Mayor Farms. You know, they are a farming agency that's using the medicinal portion of the cannabis, you know, legally and getting it out there legally. Because we all know marijuana is just on the verge of being you know, legalized. I feel like that's something that you know, as black people, you know, we're not you know, we're we're drug heads. We're always smoking, smoking, smoking, We're always putting into it instead of reinvesting into it into the medicinal aspect of it, which is the legal portion of it and the legal side of it where you can invest in making money back on it. You know what I'm saying, It's gonna be a lot of billionaires made if they make the right you know, decisions and choices. So, you know, I'm always looking at what's the next thing is going to happen. Virtual reality, That's another thing that is on the cusp of the gaming industry. It's just you have to find the right one, you know.
Speaker 4: I think virtual reality is gonna be big. We haven't spoken about that yet, but I think that virtual reality is gonna be huge, especially in sports.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it's going to be I think they tried that this year with the NBA Lead Pass, where you get the virtual reality and you could sit courtside.
Speaker 3: It's perfect.
Speaker 4: You think about it, It's like, am I going to pay ten thousand dollars that only one percent of America has.
Speaker 3: To watch Lebron? Or will I pay one hundred dollars? Yeah, it's not bad.
Speaker 4: And to feel like I'm literally right there, especially sports like boxing basketball, you can't that court side feel means a lot.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that look is a lot, That's what I said. But that's one of those sports where it makes sense to do it. Like some sports are not great being viewed live. Right, If I go to a football game and I'm sitting in the upper deck, I have no idea what's happening down there. I just know that something stopped. Right. It's not like when you're on TV and you can actually hear the refo that was the call. Oh, we can see the instant replay. Some things just aren't made for consumption, that's true.
Speaker 3: No, this is well. I think they're going to do a combination of both though.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that's what I'm saying. If you get the virtual reality now you can see it, but you.
Speaker 3: Can hear a commentators talk about it too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's why you hear about the games with the headphones on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's gonna, it's gonna, it's gonna get to that level. I just feel like you can't just want to just do music and that's it. It's it has to be more. It has to get into acting a little bit, get into creating a merchandise, you know, make something that people don't you know, or won't create, you know, like be creative. I feel like these are the things that you know, artists need to kind of take back, not just their ownership and their music, but the ownership and their imagination.
Speaker 5: We just said. I just it's funny you just said the word artists because hey, Buggy he said next project is last one because he wants to focus on things outside of music and this is the time now while he's hot. I had a quick question. You said you were trying to get a job right before, Like what what.
Speaker 6: Were you gonna try anything? Trying to do anything anything anything at that time I was desperate and there was nothing for me. There was literally nothing for me. And you know, I had shows lined up, but I had to wait to get the second half from those shows to even you know, make some money. So I had to kind of I had to thug it out, you know. I was trying. I was trying to work at I was too overqualified for burger king and underqualified to work in the office again. So I was just like, I got.
Speaker 5: To do music.
Speaker 3: How does that work? I'm glad you said that.
Speaker 4: When everybody talks about like getting paid on the back end for the shows, you get paid up front fifty and then after you perform you get the fifty percent.
Speaker 6: That's usually that standard, Yeah, standard right after you perform. Sometimes before you get on stage, sometimes after depends that.
Speaker 4: I've heard like artists not get on stage because they the promoters have money.
Speaker 6: Sometimes the promoters do pay for play, so you know, they'll charge, you know, artists to sell tickets before the main act gets on so they can make the rest of the money to pay the headliner.
Speaker 3: Have you had bad experience promoters before?
Speaker 6: Not a lot, but I've had some. I've had some bad experience. I mean, the best the best shows that I've had was corporate shows because you're gonna.
Speaker 5: Get paid corporate money.
Speaker 6: Corporate you that money is guarantee. You can go on stage without getting paid and you you know you're gonna get paid eventually, like or you'll sue. So those are the probably the best shows. You know, there's contracts put in place where you have to sign a contract music agreement, performing agreement with a buyer talent buyer that you will get paid before the night is over or at the end of the night when you settle up, depending if you did a door deal or depending on if you get a guarantee.
Speaker 3: Some you ask your music question before we wrap it up.
Speaker 4: You work with a lot of artists, like I said, from Drake to Justin temple A to Andrew Kendrick and then underground artists as well and mainstream are everybody.
Speaker 3: You work with a lot of different people, right Who who was.
Speaker 4: The most enjoyable for you to work with as far as like the talent level? Like who did because like I used to play ball, so like sometimes I played backble somebody I know, like there's special like I played like Mike Beasley went to school with me and I knew he was younger than me, but I knew like he was special.
Speaker 3: I knew he's gonna make it to the league. I just knew he was special.
Speaker 4: Did you ever have that type of vibe with anybody like that you worked with, Like this dude is different.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it's a lot. I can be here all day. I mean I remember when I got Drake's verse back for Overdose on Life. We were talking about that earlier and I was just like, Yo, this guy is fucking dope.
Speaker 4: Did you see it happening like people saying Drake is the best rapper ever?
Speaker 3: Did you ever imagine he can be put in that category?
Speaker 6: No, not the best rapper ever. It was more like it was more like, this guy's light skinned, he's marketable, and he could rap really well. This is before he was singing really and I was just like, Yo, this dude is dope. He got a knack for choruses and everything. And then like after we did that record, he kind of he kind of just ran into not ran into, but I remember when he hit me like yo, like I'm meeting Wayne tonight. I'm about to meet Little Wayne, and that that changed it all and I was like that's crazy, bro, keep grinding. But that experience was just dope because you know, he was a he was an unknown artist. He was nobody really knew who he was when I put him on the record, Like it was a big deal for him to be on that record. Styles p was that was that was an amazing session where like he was doing features for other artists that came in the in that day, like and like the whole locks was there.
Speaker 3: And he doesn't write rhymes, right, that's true.
Speaker 6: That's true. He didn't write his rhymes. He so I was like, I was like, yo, like I want to do this record, bro, And he was like, I, how do you want to do it? I was like, I want to do uh five eight bar versus. And he knew with my talent level was so he kicked everybody out the studio.
Speaker 3: He's used to that, going back and forth with Kiss Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but yeah, but he it was the fact that he kicked everybody out, Like why do you kick everybody out? Because it was just too crazy, Like everybody got go it's me and you know, but he stayed with other artists when they did their records, other artists were still there. Everybody had to go when it was me and him and we just we just did that record. That JOm was wild, you know what I'm saying. For Legends, you know Royce. Royce was a dope session. I asked him, asked him to send me like twenty four bars. He sent me back like thirty two forty bars. It was just like, all right, you want to kill me your my own record happened?
Speaker 5: Well, you got a verse back of me like, damn, I gotta go rewrite.
Speaker 6: I don't rewrite my verses. I try to rewrite them.
Speaker 5: But you ever felt like, yo, did he bothered me on? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, but I let it. I let it rock. I let it rock. Yeah, shout out, you know what I'm saying. And lastly, John Legend. I mean when I worked with John Legend, he was on tour with Shad day Man and he and he it was an overseas tour and he came off tour when he had his day off in New York and we went in the studio and made our record and then I asked him can you do some stuff over? And he was like sure. Like he was the nicest artist ever, you know, that was a super intelligent dude. Oh I love John. John's is a good dude man. I appreciate it, just him taking that time out to work with me, you know, in that facility and capacity, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Pow make you appreciate you coming telling people I know you on tour right.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, I got a tour coming up. It's called the Fan Tour. It starts November twenty ninth and the ends December twelfth. We're doing Boston, New York, Philly, Baltimore, Virginia, North Carolina, Atlanta. You know, hopefully we'll put up the fly here so you guys could check it out. And you know, just come check me out mickey fax dot com if if you see some merch that you like, or is there's some music that you uh yeah, he got the Enigma button on everybody hang, I got them a button. And you know, if if there's merch, you know, hoodies, shirts, hats, thumb drives, what else we got on there. There's a lot of stuff on there. You can go there and cop and also, you know, hit me up on Twitter, Twitter dot com, forward Slash, Mickey Fact, hit me up on Instagram, Mickey dot Fax, m I C K E. Y the period F A, C, t Z, D M ME. I talked to every single person that reaches out to me. I feel like, if you have you take the time out to talk to me, I will definitely take the time out to respond to you. I think that's the polite thing to do. Except for spam. I don't talk to spam, but you know, just reach out to me if you feel like there's a question you might have. You know, feel free reach out because I feel like holding on to information is not the way to get information out.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that, bro, Thank you choice.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Shot out everybody on patreon dot com. Y'all know that's all proud to pay program as five tiers. We are at over one hundred patrons, man, so shout out to everybody that is joining. Like we said E y L University for our top tier four and five members, you're going to be getting access to our webinars. So make sure that y'all go and check your messages so you can have access to the links. Every Wednesday at eight uh and U y L we actually put out some new merch man so we got the fire Bloody season is in effect. Every every time we come on. We're putting out new merch so the hats will be out. Hopefully we get some gloves out there. Man, we were preparing for the winter, even though we don't like beings. Is gonna be theres So shout to everybody that's been supporting the merch man. We got some new stuff on the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: And then once again don't forget December seventh and December eighth, we coming to d C. We're doing the workshop from Overahoma Elite and Wall Street Trap on the seventh, and then we got our very first live podcast and then the Wizards Clippers game after that, following after that, all of the information is on legia dot com on the events tab. You can loudstream a workshop if you're not damn person. E y l University we have classes every single day. We have a class pretty much. Matt teaches a class on every Monday, on real Estate Wednesday, the class is different. Me and Troy are gonna do classes on Friday. And then starting in January, we're gonna launch e Yoo every Thursday. Financial in Spanish Latino.
Speaker 3: Support this.
Speaker 4: Sure and the book tip of this week is the autobiography of Johnny Cochrane recommended.
Speaker 3: I guess Mickey, great book.
Speaker 5: Great book.
Speaker 6: I promise you really really really good.
Speaker 4: Johnny cockin people don't understand how you know what the thing about Johnny everybody knows him for the oj trial, right, Yep. He was a high powered lawyer way before. That's exactly because that was the dream team. But he was the head. A lot of people somewhat like some of the lawyers felt the way because this is Lloyd, like Johnny Cockrow Shapiro, like these dudes Alan Dershuis. They was high powered lawyers. Yes, Johnny Cochran and he's the quarterback. A lot of a lot of them felt the way about that. And he was working on Geronimo Pratt's case when he died. A lot of people don't know that either. Geronimo Pratt, legendary black panther leader who was incarcerated Mike Jack.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So he did a lot of social change before the old j case. He did a lot of pro bono work because he was also he was also a DA but he did a lot for South central l a man like because he was in the thick of the racial uprising there. So I implore all black people, please, people of color. Please read the autobiography of Johnny Conchran. That was an incredible book.
Speaker 3: Incredible you have guys, Thank you for RockA what us We see you next week.
Speaker 7: Pease, Please, you just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday? How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job post seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need