Speaker 1: Welcome to Canfully Reckless, the production of iHeartRadio and the Black Effects, And.
Speaker 2: Just like that, we're back on the air.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Yeat another cafully Reckless episode with your girl Jess Ilarious. I'm gonna jump straight in, just fix my mess again. We got some voice notes this time, y'all. Thank you, because I'm getting tired of reading y'all long gas Synopsiss. All right, y'all, don't be spelling right or nothing. I keep telling y'all to proof read or sending your voice but I love y'all either.
Speaker 2: Way, so I guess I'm just have to keep reading. Here we go.
Speaker 3: Hey, Jess, I've been listening to your podcast since the very beginning, and I've always wanted to send in something, but I just never had the courage.
Speaker 4: So today I'm doing it. So I'm twenty three years.
Speaker 3: Old and I've been dealing with the guy for five years now, actually yesterday made it fin years.
Speaker 4: We've been on and off.
Speaker 3: We somewhat have a relationship, and I will break that down to you, but I believe me, being young and dumb, I've accepted this and allowed it to go on way longer than it has and I really think I know what's best, but due to also doubted myself, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: So I really like advice on this.
Speaker 3: So the guy I've been dating for the last five years talking to, I will say when I met him, initially, I was twenty years old and by the time he was thirty eight years old. So fast forward, I'm twenty three today and he's forty one. I know, huge huge age gap.
Speaker 4: Between the two of us. We've worked hast had.
Speaker 3: That's really never been a problem for me, the age thing, and it's never been a problem for him.
Speaker 4: But relationship wise, since day one, since.
Speaker 3: I've known this man, he got my number, we went out and the until I went to his house, and it's been like this ever since.
Speaker 4: He'd call me every day. We call each other every day.
Speaker 3: Then it went from him calling me baby pretty face.
Speaker 4: To telling me this is forever.
Speaker 3: So now I'm believing in my head this is a relationship. This man wants me forever, and you know, I should be acting as if I want to be wanted forever. You know, I should do my wifely duties. Now, that's what I'm thinking. So for the past five years, that's what I've been doing. Although we don't live together, I'm at his house a lot. He will come and get me and I'll be there for maybe sometimes up to a month. I'll be you know, with him, or you know, whatever may be the case. I am a mother, so you know, I have my own schedule. Of course, I'm doing my thing on the side as a mother. I've never you know, selected on my mother skills to be with him. But this relationship has taken a lot from me in my twenties. You know, I've been only about him, and it's been feeling weird. These are red flags that I know I should have paid attention to a long time ago, but he has filled my head up with so many excuses that I thought it was normal. So I haven't met his mother, I haven't met his sister. He only has one sibling. I've never met any of them. He doesn't post me on social media. It was hard to get a date out of this man. And literally, as I'm sitting here telling you this story, like I know, I know, literally, yeah, it's time for me to walk away.
Speaker 4: Fast forward five.
Speaker 3: Years later, I've been sucking and sacking this man.
Speaker 4: You know, I've been doing all that to.
Speaker 3: Him I've been cooking and cleaning, and I come to his house and wash his fucking walls, and clean his fucking shower and make them dinner, bake up cakes, like all.
Speaker 4: Of the above. And I know I'm doing too much.
Speaker 3: And as a twenty three year old, there's so much more. There's so much more to be experienced in life. And why I said, you know, it hasn't been a full blown relationship because, like I said, nobody knows we're in this relationship, literally except for us, you know, And that seems weird in the year of twenty twenty two. I just don't think it's okay to I understand being private, but this is a secret.
Speaker 4: I'm a secret. This is in privacy anymore.
Speaker 3: Anytime I brought up the fact that i'd like to meet as parents, we never spent holidays together. Anytime I bring things like that up, he tells me, I'm being childish.
Speaker 4: That's little shit, and I need to get over that.
Speaker 3: Why is it important to me his family when his mama don't really care to meet nobody else, She don't want to meet no more women, things of that nature. But you're telling me that we're gonna be together forever. You're even doing the things to you know, we're doing the things to make a baby here, you know. So I know it's time to stop fooling around and to just grow up. And although he's gonna tell me whatever I need to hear to stay, I'm really.
Speaker 4: Ready to walk away.
Speaker 3: We had an actual talk yesterday and he told me finally that he wouldn't be able to marry me, not right now at least, and I really feel like I need to take that as face value and get the fuck away, Jess, help my mess. As side know, he is a wealthy man and at this point he's a shiny ass penny. Yes I said it, regardless of what he has or how good he looks, or why they bloa say, the way he has treated me has been I feel like mental mind games and that sick me. And I feel like he's better than that and I'm better than that, and I should do us both a favorite and walk away. But Jess, I need you to straighten me up. I need you to tell me this. So when I think about answering those calls again, when I feel like talking to him, yeah.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, we're not doing that. I want to be done. I need better.
Speaker 3: I want to be a wife. I want to find my husband, and I really do bad all by myself if I'm not gonna be a wife. So I just need some encouraging words. Please, yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: So girl, I'm gonna beat you down, then I'm gonna build you up and encourage you and send you on your way because you asked for.
Speaker 2: This, all right.
Speaker 1: First of all, you already know because you kept saying it while you were telling me. You know, you know what type of man this is, you know, And he caught you very, very young. He caught you when you were eighteen. He was thirty eight. What the fuck are you doing? What a baby?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Listen, I've done this as well. When I was sixteen, I was in a relationship with.
Speaker 2: A thirty I think he was thirty eight too. I met this man when I was fourteen. He was thirty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was twenty years older than me, twenty years older than me when I was sixteen. So I absolutely know exactly how you feel. I know your pain. That shit makes you feel special. You know what I'm saying, especially in your little young mind. I'm speaking to eighteen year old you and your young mind. Oh you doing a damn thing, cause you got a nigga that drive, and he older, and he is and he that, and he is and he that, and you know what that has done is kind of took you out of the dating pool to date your age, or to date a little older than you, and to even experience what peer love could be like.
Speaker 2: You didn't even get to experience what you don't like.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, or what turns you off about an older guy because you ain't never been dating no younger guys, you know what I'm saying. Now, you said you have a baby, and apparently that's not his baby, obviously, and I'm very glad that it's not. So apparently you've been doing some other fucking and sucking outside of this man, And I listen, more power to you, because you do not need to be with him. You didn't have no business being with him. He was eighteen. He didn't have no business fucking praying on you when you were eighteen years old.
Speaker 2: Now listen, this is something that he does.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna say this because this is something that the guy that I was dating when I was sixteen did as well.
Speaker 2: You think you're the only one, and you're not. He has a bunch.
Speaker 1: Of y'all little young girls, and I think he also may be married as well. He's probably bored in his marriage. He probably is never gonna leave his wife or whoever the fuck he got at home, which is why you never see him on holidays.
Speaker 2: But you are his fun now.
Speaker 1: He's been doing this for a long time, so he knows how to keep up these relationships and make each one of y'all feel like y'all are the priority.
Speaker 2: You said.
Speaker 1: He talks to you every day, y'all flirt every day you're able to see him. You just don't get to spend the times of the year that means the most to people usually, and that those are holidays, birthdays and stuff like that. He's keeping you exactly where he wants you to be. He's gonna tell you anything you want to hear to get you to never leave, because that's exactly what he was doing when he met you. That's why he prays on y'all so young. That's why he dates y'all so young. Now, mind you, I'm saying y'all because you're not the only one. That should be evident enough this is me straightening you up. That should be evident enough for you to be like, oh, yeah, I'm done. Yeah you're not his only little young baby. And while he's not old enough to be a sugar daddy, oh he on his way. Now I can say you're a sugar baby, not be a sugar daddy. But baby, you are a sugar baby. Believe that that's what it is. I think you know what to do. And I know you said, oh, I want to be a wife. I want to be married. Yes, I want, I want, I want, But not at the expense of your hearts, not at the expense of who you are, your mind, your dignity. Girl, do not rob yourself. You're dodging a bullet leaving that shit alone. You're doing him a favor, and you a favor, and his wife a favor, or his girlfriend a favor. You're doing a favor for all three of y'all at this point. But the fact that you've been cooking and cleaning and like, this motherfucker is training you to be a wife that you'll never be. So actually he trained you for somebody else, you know, because you're gonna make someone a very lucky husband one day. It just cannot be that, nigga. It cannot and it won't be. If it's anything I can do with my power, I will not let you do that shit.
Speaker 2: Girl.
Speaker 1: Hell no, you're twenty three. You're supposed to be worrying about what fucking career choice you want to pick. Your supposed to be worried about, you know, like, come on now and then you in your early twenties.
Speaker 2: We are in different times.
Speaker 1: Now you're supposed to be thinking about starting the fucking business, going back to school if that's what you.
Speaker 2: Want to do.
Speaker 1: You're supposed to be worrying about other shit, how you can get ahead in life, how you can be setting yourself up so you can be well off in your thirties. Okay, you're supposed to be going to parties and shit. You're supposed to be dating around, not waiting for an old ass man to leave another woman, because that's exactly what you will be waiting for, And you don't even know that's what you will be signing up for. Don't nobody know about you. It ain't nobody going on about you. Imagine him bringing your little young ass to his mother. Imagine that he wouldn't do that if he wasn't with another woman. You're too young. I would feel hard as a forty one year old man bringing my twenty three year old girlfriend to meet my mother. What it's nothing that he can even learn from you. A relationship is given to take everything. It's benefit for both everything. I want a man I can learn from, but I also want my man to learn from me. It ain't nothing that he can learn from your little ass.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that you're dense, or you're stupid or not intelligent or anything. No, uneducated. That's not to say that he has been twenty three before. And I understand you're very mature dealing with his old ass, but you still can't teach him shit. That's why he wants to control the situation because you know he manipulates you. You can't teach him anything. You're not even in control of the situation. But you're gonna take control. You're gonna leave that ass. That's how you get revenge, that's how you control. You leave it and let him deal with any other little young girl he gonna deal with. Let him sell them dreams to somebody else. Okay, seriously raise your baby and date date. I don't feel bad telling young girls date around, date a round? How the fuck you know what you want if you never had nothing to compare it to? How the fuck you know you comparing everybody? This old ass man girl? What somebody gonna.
Speaker 2: Meet you and rock your world?
Speaker 1: Sweep you off your fucking feet, Beautiful, don't let it go?
Speaker 2: All right? I love you, like literally like I love you up.
Speaker 1: Hold up, I know this shit getting good, but listen to just a couple seconds of a commercial.
Speaker 2: If you love me, you'll listen.
Speaker 1: Moving on, this is an update, and then she has another problem that she would like for me to fix.
Speaker 3: Listen, Hey, Jess, I was just listening to you on the No for Sure podcast, and it reminded me that I forgot to actually fucking update you. But I listened to your advice, and you know what, I literally put my pride aside for no reason. I had always, you know, wanted to hit them up, but I was just scared or whatever.
Speaker 5: And once I heard.
Speaker 3: You say, you know, either pray for new friends to come into your life or hit them up because you missed them or whatever, I literally was crying and listening to it because, like I genuinely really missed them, like, it's like a part of me is grieving because I missed them so much. So I did what you said, and I texted both of them, and one of them was like, she was like awkwardly texting me as if like why are you texting me?
Speaker 5: Or like what did you hear?
Speaker 3: So I just stopped texting her, and the other one left me on red. So I just want to thank you for taking the time out to listen to my story and.
Speaker 5: Help me with that.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna pray for some new friends because some homes is not shit.
Speaker 5: Thank you. I love you.
Speaker 1: Bydy exactly, Baby, I love you too, and listen, that's no love loss there. If you want to continue to pray for those ladies, you can. If you just want to leave it there, leave it there. Don't reach out again. You missed them so much and you love them still with everything in you because you guys grew up together.
Speaker 2: Those were your.
Speaker 1: First real fucking friends. But people grow up and certain people evolve and some people don't. When you grow, everybody won't grow with you. Unfortunately, everybody grows at their own pace. Those girls are still stuck in the motherfucking hood, fighting and shit. They want some zoos network shit. Naw, you on some HBO shit. Baby, Go ahead, keep on going, keep on fucking going. Okay, no love loss, and don't even regret hitting them, because maybe that's the closure that you fucking need a lot of people don't realize. Closure doesn't have to always be positive. Closure does not have to always bring you back together, because if it's closure, then it's not closed. You're reopening, you're rehashing. No closure is exactly what the fuck you got? All right, left me all read? All right, I reached out. I love you, guys. I'm gonna love y'all from a distance.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: If you still choose to but you said it, I didn't. Them holes ain't shit and it wasn't shit before, but you loved them. Y'all had a relationship. You know, y'all had friendship, and it's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: They just gave you the closure that you needed. Now you have another story. I'm gonna play hejus.
Speaker 3: So I'm back, and I just want to get your advice on the situation to see if it's really the deal I'm making it or if I'm overreacting.
Speaker 5: So to give you a little background history.
Speaker 3: I met my man about four years ago and we've been in a relationship for three years together. We have one kid, but but he came with one and then I had one, so we have three kids all together. The relationship is really well, it's a typical relationship. We argue some days, but we're always good most of the time, so that's really good. He's a good man. He's good to me. He really does a lot for me, for my son. We all love him, but I kind of feel like, in a way, he belittles me, and it's honestly starting to fuck with me. He's a few years older than me, like about five years older than me, so he has some more experience in life, and I never take away from him. He did like three years in jail, so he has a lot of knowledge.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: The problem is when it comes to me expressing anything to him, I feel like he makes it seem as if I'm dumb.
Speaker 5: He belittles any knowledge.
Speaker 3: That I talk to him about, and it's kind of starting to put me in a place where I feel like, you know, I don't want to be with this man because he doesn't look at me as smart. Like sometimes when I explain things to him, it's, you know, easy, but other times it's like he's trying to belittle what I'm saying or my point of view.
Speaker 5: So for instance, I was talking.
Speaker 3: To him because he's in jail now, and no, I didn't meet him in jail. He just went to jail this year, so don't do it.
Speaker 5: But so for instance, he's in jail, so of course he doesn't have.
Speaker 3: Any access to any internet or anything. And he said that the TV is always on sports. So I was telling him about the ten year old boy who killed his mom in Missouri, and I was telling him, you know, what the news reporter said. I constantly stated what the news said, or what the article said, or what this this nest said.
Speaker 5: And then it's like I was like.
Speaker 3: You know, a little bit emotional because I'm a mom myself and I have two kids, and I feel like it was just like heartbreaking as a mother.
Speaker 5: So I was talking to him about it. I was really vulnerable.
Speaker 3: It was really bothered me, something that still bothers me because it's really new.
Speaker 5: But it's kind of like he brushed off how I.
Speaker 3: Was feeling, and he was just saying, you know, will I don't know what happened, but I don't believe everything that be on the news.
Speaker 5: I feel like people.
Speaker 3: Believe anything somebody tell them, and I feel like it's always like that. Even when he explains things to me, he starts talk by saying, will I know you don't know?
Speaker 5: Or I know you don't think like this, or you know. He basically just always tries.
Speaker 3: To make it seem like I'm this dumb ass bitch, and it's honestly starting to bother me. Like I told you, We've been together three years, so this is three years of this shit been built up. We have talked about it multiple times, and I have told him that I would prefer him not to say those type of words before we're discussing anything. Don't tell me, well, you know I don't think like this, or you know, because you don't know what the fuck I know, you don't know how the fuck I think. And it's really starting to bother me to the point where I'm starting to for a lot of love with him because I feel like he doesn't look at me as a black educated woman that I carry myself to be.
Speaker 5: And usually people break up with people.
Speaker 3: For cheating or being abusive and it's literally none of that. And that's why I've asked one other person besides you, and they said that, you know, it's just how he is because he was in prison. You know, a lot of people who went to prison before are really educated because they don't have anything to do but read and learn upon things, which is also true.
Speaker 5: He is a you know, educated black man.
Speaker 3: He's highly educated, and I give him that props, but I just feel like when it comes to me, it's nothing like he belittles me all the time.
Speaker 5: No matter what we're talking about. I always feel.
Speaker 3: Like he just puts me down when it comes to being educated, and it's starting to bother me. When I do tell him stuff like what's bothering me or what he's saying that he shouldn't say, he does apologize, and he honestly takes my feels is in consideration for the moment, and he might not say it for about a week. But then it's like when we're talking about something else that's going on in social media or for our future, he always mentions that, you know, I know you don't think like this, and it's just starting to like annoy the hell out of me, and I don't want to be with him. So I just want to come to you and see if I'm overreacting. Is it not a big deal? Because, like I said, I carry myself as an educated black woman.
Speaker 5: I am young.
Speaker 3: I'm only twenty one and he is twenty six, so we do have like a little bit of an age difference. And I know that could be not a big deal to most because I'm considered younger to him.
Speaker 5: And I haven't been through that much in life.
Speaker 3: But I still feel like I carry myself well and I would like other people to notice how educated I am, especially my man. If nobody else noticed, then I would at least want my man to know, you know, hey, I have a beautiful black woman who is also educated. Like I don't want him to just think that, you know, I'm just dumb bitch.
Speaker 5: And even if he doesn't think.
Speaker 3: It, because he always says that's not what I'm thinking, that's not what I mean, I just don't like the tone when we're talking. It's to the point where I have just stopped talking to him about shit that I know he would respond in that type of manner about.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, girl, I just want to know am I overreacting? Is it not a big deal. Am I doing too much?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: Like I said, we have been together for three years, but I'm just annoyed as hell.
Speaker 1: Now we got a commercial and if you click off of this podcast, I swear I'm gonna beat your ass.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, I don't think you're overreacting at all. I don't, and I think the rest of the listeners could agree with me as well. I don't think you're overreacting. I think this is something within himself. He's not happy in his life where he is. Anytime he has to just keep telling you you don't think like that, or I don't listen everything that happens. Obviously you don't listen, and obviously you don't know everything, or you would know how to keep that asside of jail. Damn, how about that?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: Now, Listen, while people do go.
Speaker 1: To jail, and that's where a lot of men and women both are taught a lot of things because right they don't really have a lot of things that they can do, a lot of activities that can get into you know, they're in jail.
Speaker 2: They're in prison, so they do read.
Speaker 1: A lot of people do ready, and they educate themselves and they even have classes in prisons, you know, not jails so much, but in prisons, you know, they got classes you can take it and all that type of stuff. I'm not putting anything past how educated he is or not. But I also feel like that he plays on the fact that you are young, five years younger than he is, and I feel like you're kind of letting that play on you as well, because I've even heard you say and I haven't really been through much in life.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: I think you're letting him make you think that way of yourself. You maybe have gone through different shit than he has gone through, for sure, because he is in and out of jail.
Speaker 2: Baby, you're not.
Speaker 1: But that doesn't go to say you haven't been through anything.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Don't talk like that, don't you know? And it is not what he say is the way he says it. You know, I do understand that could be a point as well, because you're just like, look, don't tell me what the fuck I know.
Speaker 2: He can't tell you what you know. And yes, you do want to be supportive.
Speaker 1: You do want to feel like your man is confident in you, just as you're confident in yourself. I am a beautiful, black, educated woman, and yeah, I have a queen by my side.
Speaker 2: She's smart, she knows some shit. You know. We both don't know everything, but we know a little about a lot.
Speaker 1: And that's what I always say. I don't know everything, but I know a little about a lot, you know what I'm saying. So I don't want to ever tell someone to leave someone unless they're being physically harmed or mentally abused. But I do feel like he has to take a break from the relationship and get his own self together. Mentally, there's something he's battling and something that is weighing on his heart and over his head about his own life. I strongly feel that I don't know what that is. You've been with him for three years. You've been with him longer, so you would know. Then before y'all got together, I imagine that you guys were just friends. So I mean, I can't assume I don't know, But you know him more than I know him.
Speaker 2: You know him more than the listeners know him.
Speaker 1: You would know if there was something that he was suffering with, or that was something that he was just mentally battling. And unfortunately we as girlfriends can always help our men out with that. They have to get professional help. They have to actually go and seek help on their own, because they're just running away from their problems. They're masking their problems and then internally shunning them, like internally shutting down, and then projecting what they're going through on others. And that's not good either, because now you're blaming everyone else for your issues.
Speaker 2: I feel that's what he does.
Speaker 1: And I can bet you it's very very difficult for him, or very rare that he accepts accountability for shit that he does, or you know, just anything that he does. Why he's in jail while you guys argue why he treats you the way that he does things like that. I think you should take a break from a relationship, have him get hisself together. He in jail now, shit, he got nothing but time and books to read. Get yourself together? Why he on the inside and he need to get hisself together? Why he's away from you, and then revisit it. But I don't think that it's really healthy, especially if you've been in this for three years and it's just now.
Speaker 2: Starting to fuck with you. Oh baby, listen, you're young.
Speaker 1: You should be doing so many other things right now instead of trying to pick a man's fucking brain apart to see why he doesn't think you're smart. Excuse me, You're twenty one, all right. Get yourself together and hopefully he gets hisself together. Check back in with me, girl now listen. That is the end of this episode, y'all. I love y'all so much. I really love what I do. I love what carefully Reckless has formed into. I love that it's a very therapeutic space. It's a very safe space for my listeners. It's a safe space for my girls and my guys who are sending me their situations that they need help on, that they need me.
Speaker 2: To fix, you know, or try to fix.
Speaker 1: And I'm just happy that I can be of any assistance to any of you that I have helped, and I'm sorry for those who I haven't. But make sure you tune into Carefully Reckless each and every Wednesday. Tune into Reckless Discussions this evening as well at seven pm only on YouTube and in my deepest Pam voice Peace Can't. Fully Reckless is a production of iHeartRadio and The Black Effect. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.