Speaker 1: Welcome in Command his Family to a new season of the game Plan. We sit with head coach Dan Quinn and talk to him all about his off season and how he made that initial the three man roster. Dan Quinn talked about his time with Logan Paulson and what he's learned from his time as a head coach. All that and more starts right now. Welcome into the game Plan Command his Family. I am Brian Copy Junior, here with the legend Logan Paulson and of course our fearless leader, head coach Dan Quinn. Coach, good to have you here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pumped to be on with you guys. And yeah, to be a cool show. Man, I'm really really pumped to be here with you.
Speaker 1: We're so excited to have you and this is our initial show. No, we got to do some intros, right, I mean, people know who you are, but this is your return to the DMV.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: How has it been.
Speaker 2: It's been awesome, man, Honestly, the whole experience of coming back to this area, getting to know the fan base here, getting to know the people, the team, and that's been one of the coolest experiences man. Like, my favorite part of this team is the team. All these guys, what they make up the locker room. It's a really cool group of guys.
Speaker 1: Man, I'm having a I'm glad you're able to enjoy it because there's a lot of toughness right with being in a new team. And one of the things we last talked about was building that cohesiveness not only with Adam Peters, but the rest of your staff. How was that process, man?
Speaker 2: You know that part is it's so important because they have to know the man before the ballplayer. And so you're going through the off season program, new players here, current players here. Before we got into the X and o's, we wanted to make sure we got to know who, you know, behind the ribcage, who was the person. And then we did the same thing with the rookies and to see the veterans really take on, you know, the young guys. We had, you know, twenty rookies that were here, and so to see them they were not our pledges, their little brothers, and so to make sure they were going to help them gain their way into the NFL and earn that respect. And so it's a very cool place if you are a young player to come in because You've got some really cool mentors that are looking after you. Coach.
Speaker 3: I always think it's interesting when you build a staff because you got people from all over the place. You got guys from Philly, from New York, like do you have like a rolodex and names You're like, oh, let's go call so and Sorrows or people referring you people.
Speaker 2: You know what. I was fortunate, Logan, I had some time, you know, to prepare for this, and so over the last few years, had a chance to visit with some people. If an opportunity, you know, that really would light us up, that this would be something we'd want to do. So guys like Brian Johnson and Anthony Lynn and Jason Simmons, Darryl Tapp were ones that it just if that if it all lined up, you know, would there be a shot. And so what was really cool is see how many people wanted to be here. They saw the same vision that I had about what it can be here and how we would go about doing that. And so that was that was like one of the most gratifying feeling, you know, like they want in, they want a part of it.
Speaker 1: And Coach has been a busy offseason So I got a really tough question for you. Sure, what has been your favorite part so far of this entire process?
Speaker 2: Man, that's a cool one because like being introduced here was a really cool thing, you know, because you reflect back about like why this game means so much, why you love it so much, and so, uh, you didn't get here, you know, into this seat on your own. So I think I probably had more gratitude for the opportunity of coming into it than I did, you know, my first lap in Atlanta. As far as the coolest part, I would probably have to say like at practice, like first practice, you know, just knowing like this crew is going to be the one that you know is going to do some things. These ones are my day ones, and so being here with those guys like that was the coolest part. Like this is where we start.
Speaker 3: I never really thought about that, but it's got to feel like like your dad for the first time with your kind of little little little chicks running around on the field, right, And like I never really thought of that emotional kind of impact of that first day.
Speaker 2: And that's what makes you know, the waiver process so difficult, because you pour all yourself into everybody to try to get everything you can out and it. You know, just numbers don't line up where you get to keep everybody. But that doesn't prohibit you from like absolutely digging and going for it, because there's a lot of belief that app has to feel from his coach and knowing that, like this guy believes in me, he's going to take me to that next spot. And if a player knows he has that kind of belief, he can go to further heights. And if we can do that on a bigger scale with these coaches, then there's no limit to what a team can become.
Speaker 1: And close Before move to preseason, I have to ask you a follow up because you said that this time around was a little different than that time around Atlanta. Can you expand on that and why was it so different for you and why was it important for it to feel different this time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you know, you don't get a lot of shots at these and so leaving Atlanta, there were some things I wanted to do differently, you know, if this next opportunity came about, and I was looking for something so specific to know where you could just go kick ass at the highest level. And so the ownership group of Josh general manager with AP what you can do you know here, knowing like this is a kick ass organization, and like knowing how important the football team is to this community. Like, that's the type of environment I wanted to be a part of, where you feel the team and the city connect. And so those were some of the markers that I wanted. And I wasn't going to miss it, you know, when the opportunity came about, I just wasn't.
Speaker 3: I've always wondered coach, like, and this is something I'll never have the opportunity to So it's cool to be able to ask you about it. Is how do you know when you sit down with an honor these are some of the most smartest and most powerful people in the world, and you know you like football and I like football, But how do you kind of enter that group and say, hey, like this is the right opportunity for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think most people can probably relate to it. When you're on an interview, you're also interviewing them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 2: You want to find out, you know, what are some of their values, how do they like to communicate, what's the things that are important to them in the team, and so when you're there, that's how you can find out some of the information. Although our professional paths might be different, that doesn't mean you can't be connected in similar value, similar philosophies of winning and building a team and things that are important to me. So for me, I wanted somebody that believed in culture and believed in communication and believed in team. Those were the things that make me as a coach, you know, fill me up. And so when all that was aligned here, that was why I was like, this is the spot. This is the one that I'm going forward with all I got.
Speaker 1: And after you make these decisions, you go through that process, get your coaching staff together. Yeah, that's time to play ball. Now, what's into the preseason? First things First, first time being back in the preseason as a head coach, what' stood out to you most during that time?
Speaker 2: It was cool, Like we had two road trips together. We went to New Jersey for four days and we went to Miami for four days, had a practice and a game. A practice and a game. So in those moments, you know, you want to see the team connect, you know, to see how they're going to respond to another going against you. Know, playing against other people and to see how strong their bond is. And they've been competing against one another for so long, so let's see how it goes when we go up to New Jersey or down to Miami. And so they just they wouldn't back off. They were competing, and having those four days together away from here, I thought was really valuable for us. I trust these guys, you know, and I trust them on and off the field. And so not every team can say that, you know, you take a trip down to Miami for four days or in New York for four days, you know, I mean on the team, maybe we shouldn't do that, but I would say you could tell how important it is to this crew and their standards they have for one another. And those are the things that that stand out to me.
Speaker 3: You talked about connection, like that's something that as a player you can feel, but it's like as a coach, like how do you identify You mentioned the competition, You mentioned stuff like that, is it the guy's cutting up in the locker room? Is it the sideline? Like what are the things or is it all of the above. They kind of say, this team's really hit it on the way the way you want to hit it.
Speaker 2: I think the biggest marker logan is player to player, you know, and you know, how does the team act and respond when we're not with the coaches and what does that look like? And so to see their time together, I think I probably noticed it, you know, for first in a maybe it was an O TA or a mini camp and okay, the day ends at this time at one o'clock and they're just hanging out, still doing stuff together at you know, three thirty or four in the afternoon, the one A coaches there, they were just doing their thing together. So what excited me probably about the Miami game and the New England game was the energy on the sideline for player to player, you know, to see the plays that happened. I saw John Allen running down the field on a big hit you know from Tyler Owens that you know, slap them in the head and say you did a hell of a job. And then you know, on the sideline the other night, on a touchdown play at the end of the game, just you know, we would have got a penalty. There's like fifty players like you know, T shirts and shorts like in the end zone. But I would say, that's what I'd hoped I'd see, you know, that type of connection where their brothers were making plays and they were excited about it. Because if you don't have that all your scheme and the other stuff it's it makes it a lot harder. So the first thing you have to do, man, you have to play hard for one another. And so seeing those guys do that was cool because they were expressing to their teammates how hard they're willing to go to be a part of this.
Speaker 1: And Coach, you hit on some of those beautiful things about preseason and why we love it so much. Yes, but there's a lot of tough decisions that go into that preseason as it comes to an end, and you had to set on a fifty three man roster. Talk to us about that evaluation process and what you were looking for in the preseason to make that final decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think as you're going through some things, you want to make sure that you have an identity, you know, so people know who you are, how you get down when you play, and you have to have a certain attitude and play style to do that. And so before any scheme comes in, we had said, you know, being a commander ain't gonna be for everybody. You know, it's gonna be hard. We're gonna be tough, and that doesn't mean you can't play in the league, but like, we are going to be about that life and be tough and physical and play fast. And so the guys that wanted to demonstrate that and show that over and over, that's that was really at the top of the pile. The skill sets. You're always developing that, Brian, You're always you're always continuing to work on that, and that kind of shows up in the tape where a player is, you know, in their development. But if you have the dog in you to go fight for it and battle for it, you can develop a hell of a lot faster because you're not gonna You're not going to stop. And so those were the traits that we were looking for going into the end of the preseason. Adam and I like it never really stopped. So it's not like two nights ago we had to come up with a list what are we gonna do now? So it's been moving that way of who we would like to you know, have represent us in the city and what we're about. And so that was a long ongoing conversation.
Speaker 3: Is that hard to do?
Speaker 1: Coach?
Speaker 3: Is that hard to kind of say, like we want to prioritize like toughness and competitiveness over maybe physical skill. You know, I have been on some teams where it hasn't been it's been more physical skill and the culture kind of wanes. Is that hard for you or is that is that the right way to do it?
Speaker 2: I think you have to go through the lessons to know that. And I don't know about you, Logan, but the best teams I've been a part of were really tough and really good in the locker room first. And so when you had those two things and they're really tough, really good in the locker room, you'd be surprised what a team can accomplish, you know, because they're just not going to stop, they're not going to beat themselves, and so that connection happens. They really don't want to let the other guy down if there's not a connection, like not my fault, I did my job, but you'll you know, So we don't want that part, you know, we want to make sure guys are all about it. And so it's cool to see.
Speaker 3: I think you see that around league too, like San fran Detroit. All these teams that are good football teams are tough as nails, and like that seems like the model together.
Speaker 2: It's way deeper than collecting talent, you know, way deeper than that. It's about putting an entire team together, and at times some people have to go to make sure the whole team is right. And those are the hard decisions, but ones that we're always going to make, like we're always going to choose the team, like that's that's our obligation, you know, to the organization, to the fans and everybody else.
Speaker 1: And a big part of building that team, of course is the rookies. Got a rookie quarterback in Jaden and Daniels. A little easier for a quarterback to stand out into preseason, right, but for these other rookies, what are things you're looking for that makes a rookie standout trying to make this roster.
Speaker 2: I think there's an element that you need confidence for sure, and that comes from reps and from playing. And when you see that play happen'd like to see more of that? Can we get some more? And when you show that again, now you're demonstrating what you're capable of becoming what you're capable of doing. And sometimes coming out of college, sometimes most of the time a player doesn't even have a vision of what they can be and they think the NFL is supposed to be one thing or what it is. But like, you can do this one thing better than anybody. We can build your whole game around that. And finding what you're exceptional at is important because you can't bs yourself and you know, try things that you're not capable of becoming. But if you can find some things that like you're as good or better than anybody at, like we're going to find and how to build around that. And so there's a number of these guys that have stood out in that way. And then the second thing, I were just looking for guys who won't stop competing. You know, we're going to find an edge, go finish plays. And when you do that over and over, that's when we demonstrate it to their teammates and to everybody here. Like they're putting their chips on the table, like I want in and you have to recognize that.
Speaker 3: And that coach, like, that's something I think, like you talk about the kids kind of coming in, but like I think you've done over your career, done a good job of identifying that superpower, you know, that ability that like what the kid does well and seeing growth potential like is that just experience like life experience or did you have a guy mentor that touch of that or I.
Speaker 2: Think I was really fortunate, Like my entry way into the NFL, I was around like some remarkable people. And so my first year was like Bill wals should still been a consultant in a GM and San Francisco and so like spending time in his office and finding out about a you know, and what would you do on short yards and a designated pass rusher and the smallest of details. And coming from college you just looked at a player and you evaluated, oh, he's a good player, and you signed him. It was so much more specific, and it just changed my whole vision of there's certain things that players can do, and then how do you build around that, and when you're coming up in college, just look for the good athlete or the good player. And so it was so much more specific than that, and that was probably the first thing that enhanced that ability to look for what a player can do as opposed to what they can't. And when you can find it and you do it over and over, then you have something really cool and culch.
Speaker 1: You're super chill right now. But everybody you talk to around the league, whether it's Josh Harris, whether it's people on other teams, they talk about your energy. Why was it so important for you to come in and bring this energy and still that illness.
Speaker 2: I think it's a pretty chill studio. So I feel like hanging out with you. Yeah, it's so nice. Why was the culture part so important?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think you know, when you've coached for a while and been on a lot of teams. I think I've been over like seventy or eighty of them in my life. I love being a part of a team, and it's why I coach that connection with the players, the coaches, everybody who's part of the team, knowing that the wins are produced by everybody. And so when you have that appreciation to know how hard it is and how much you have to put in to go get it, and all these people are pulling forward in the same direction to go get the wins, like, it's such a cool feeling and that doesn't happen just you know, rolling the ball out or having a practice like you have to be intentional about you know what you're looking for, and what we're looking for is guys that play with energy, play with toughness, but have we have really high standards about how we want to do things and so it's hard, but we also have a lot of fun doing it. And so I think through my life I've worked you can work really really hard, but you can also like enjoy it and have a good time finding the balance of both of those. Those are some of the best times.
Speaker 1: Coach excited for this so and excited to see you guys get in the film room after this break Thanks Coach.
Speaker 2: All right, awesome man, glad to be with you guys, and we'll throw a hell of a here.
Speaker 1: Command his Family. We know you are enjoying the game plan. However, if you want to see Coach and logan Paul said break down plays in the film room, you could check that out on the Commander's YouTube page. Welcome back to game Plan, Command his Family, Logan, it was so cool seeing you and DQ have that same chemistry that you guys had out in Atlanta and those two don't know you played under Dan Quinn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did plan or Daniel. It's great to see him here, you know, like great to see him kind of revitalize this opportunity. I remember talking to him after he was fired in Atlanta and kind of him asking for feedback and him I know other people that I know talking and looking for feedback about how he could grow, and then seeing him implement all of that feedback. And he's just got such a growth mindset and he's just such a good person, you know. And I think that's the thing, Like I tell people this all the time, I never had more fun than when I was playing it Atlanta because of him, Because he makes it fun to come to work every day. He makes you passionate about your teammates and the connection he talked about a lot on the interview, and it's just and it's cool to see it kind of ramped up and revitalized and retooled the way he's done it here. And I'm just really happy that he's got this opportunity.
Speaker 1: And that's the same thing all the players mimic, right, They're all saying the same thing about his energy and that they just love playing for him. He talked about his growth. What have you seen so far that has been different than what you saw in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: What's interesting is the stuff that he's said. You know, it's something he said in the media, like when he was in Atlanta. He's a guy that wants to help make everything better, make every individual player better, make the organization better, make the draft process better. And he and he's pulled that way. He's pulled to make everything better. And I think he said this in his press conference, like he just was doing too much. And now to see him totally locked in on being a head coach and being the guy that can set the culture and set the standard and be dynamic in the meeting room and build those interpersonal relationships like he's always talking about.
Speaker 1: Like the player's superpower.
Speaker 3: His superpower is building relationships with people. And I think you see that every single day that he's here, and he can focus exclusively on that because Adam Peters is so talented his job, you know what I'm saying. I think for him to kind of build that structure out that allows him to be the best version of himself, I think it's his evolution, but also a total credit to.
Speaker 1: Him command his family. You can catch us every Sunday on WSA nine Sunday mornings before year games. This is game plan with Bryan Colbe, junior Logan Paulson, head coach Dan Quinn until next Sunday commands. Family, Yeah,