Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is alive from coast to coast with Caroline Hyde in New York and Va Loow in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up. AI. Capex in focus after Meta, Microsoft and Tesla or report earnings with mixed fortunes FUS.
Speaker 3: Apple is also set to report earnings later today, with holiday season results and the impact of memory prices top of mind for investors.
Speaker 2: And Amazon reported hundreds of thousands of pieces of content it believed included child sexual abuse material, which if found in data gathered to improve its AI models. We have the Bloomberg reporting and it.
Speaker 3: Is significant in reporting at that, But let's turn our attention to what's happening on the markets right now, ed because it is a tough day, to say the least. It is all about capex in AI and you're going to go there with the individual names. But I point to a NASDAK one hundred that's having its worst day.
Speaker 4: Since November of last year.
Speaker 3: Two months now, we're down by two percentage points, some huge moves on individual names, but Crypto also languishing, were up by five percent. We're eighty four thousand at the moment, so much of being in digital gold in this currently debasement environment, it ain't working out for this particular area of gold because now it's just working as a risk asset.
Speaker 4: What are you looking at?
Speaker 2: Look, look, since we come on air like there is a bit of a vibe shift or a deepening of concern around AI capital expenditures. Two very similar stories that starts going in different directions. Meta told us this year one hundred and thirty five billion dollars of capex, but showed in the current period and beyond significant growth, particularly in the AD business. That justifies it. Microsoft capex one point five billion dollars beyond consensus in the court of gone, but thirty eight percent growth in Azure, the cloud unit, that's the one we look at for the AI probe. On a constant currency basis or currency adjusted basis, it's basically aligned with estimates. And people are worried that this growth in capex is outpacing what is now decelerating growth in Azure for the time being. Carried much to dig on.
Speaker 4: Here there is We've got the perfect person to do that with.
Speaker 3: Let's bring in Gabriella Borges Analysts covering the emerging software sector within Goldman Sex's Global Investment Research unit, maintaining and BI rating on Microsoft, citing long term strategic AI positioning. So do we have to swallow the sixty six percent increase in capex on the quarter for long term rewards with Azure that just aren't showing up quite yet?
Speaker 5: Yes, Hi, good morning. That's exactly the question that investors are asking us. What's really interesting is this is the second quarter in a row where Microsoft is actually telling you there is a more nuanced way to think about their capex allocations.
Speaker 4: Typically, what you would.
Speaker 5: Expect to see is capex goes up as your revenue goes up. There's a really direct correlation. What's happening in reality is Microsoft is telling you there are two importantrategic priorities in addition to Azure revenue. The first is Microsoft Copilot and what they're doing in the first party apps ecosystem. As Copilot adoption goes up, so does the capex allocation that has to go to support that business. The second is what they're doing with internal R and D. So think Microsoft AI for example, very strategic comparative because if they get some of these new markets right, like medical diagnostics, for example, that could be a really interesting long term product cycle for them as well.
Speaker 3: Amy Hood tried to get that new and it's across in the earnings call saying, look, we could have had marketly bigger percentage growth for Azure if we've served external clients, but we're serving ourselves with the compute. Why do we see the market overreacting like this even with.
Speaker 4: That new one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a trade off between short term and long term. Short term you see that in the Azure revenue number every quarter. Longer term, though, is something like Copilot that's a gross margin accretion cycle and a long term monetization story that happens over multiple years. Microsoft AI. That's something that you're not You're going to get maybe a couple of blog posts. This here a couple of really exciting data points, but it's hard to predict one exactly you'll get those data points. So the way we see this is there's a little bit of a short term negative reaction here because it's hard to see into the future. Ultimately, we do still believe the data points will a croup positive on those two other strategic initiatives.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to basics a bit, Gabrielle and Karo. You know, we talked about this before the show. This is a drop of twelve percent, So this is the biggest drop in the stock since March of twenty twenty four hundred and twenty nine billion dollars of market value wiped off. That suggests serious concern. Gabriella, what do you think is the counter argument to that concern in the market.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do think it's going to be a more balanced evolution on what enterprise AI adoption looks like this year. We know for two years now it's been a real struggle to see adoption tick up on the enterprise AI side. There's a lot of heavy lifting that has to happen on the data architectures, the data infrastructure, marrying some of these really cool llms with the richness of an enterprise context, and that's taken time. So as we go through twenty twenty six, one of the data points we'll be looking for is is that enterprise AI adoption starting to go higher? And what Microsoft told you last night is actually they have an increasing optic on adoption on the copilot side. We've seen data points on claud Cowork as well, just in the last couple of weeks. You've put all of that together with what Service Now is saying last night, and there is starting to be enough critical mass to suggest that enterprise AA adoption will go up from here.
Speaker 2: Net income was boosted by a gain in Microsoft's investment in open Ai, lifted pro per share earnings by a dollar and two cents, right, But our issue here is still how Microsoft manages the capacity issue that open ai presents them, as well as the circular financing issue. Right that you know that's the arrangement. Here is some capital, and here are the services that we'll charge you for as well. How do you think about that, Gabriella, and whether we now shift open ai a bit more into the risk column for Microsoft or not.
Speaker 5: So it's really interesting because Microsoft is taking steps to diversify their exposure to the AI ecosystem. Last quarter, we saw Anthropic come onto Microsoft Asia for the first time. We're also seeing Microsoft invest in their own what they call off frontier Microsoft AI models. Each of these steps diversifies the ways that Microsoft can win independent of whether open ai is doing well or not. With open Ai in particular, what we did see last night is that two hundred and fifty billion dollar contract that was announced about three months ago. Now you're now starting to see that in the backlog and that will roll on over time. The other positive catalyst to look for is the Fairwater Data centers. They're coming online over the course of a multia timeframe, but we'll start to get more visibility into that as we go through the next two quarters.
Speaker 3: We've had a bit of visibility about the silicon strategy, We've had visibility about the hardware side, but ultimately this company is getting caught up with software negativity.
Speaker 4: What about anthropic coming out?
Speaker 3: And yes, we see relationships, partnerships, but a cowork offering that could just not copilot out the water.
Speaker 4: How are you thinking about competition right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the burden of proof will be on Microsoft being able to show that the quality of outputs in a knowledge worker desktop and a knowledge work environment are better than what the competitors can provide. One of the key reasons they may be able to do that is because they're already entrenched in the Microsoft ecosystem. We already use Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Powerpoints, Poor Suite perhaps, and so if the intelligence that's in better in those apps can be married with the intelligence of the alms, you get to a better point from a productivity standpoint than if you bring.
Speaker 6: In at their party.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I'm so pleased we're going to this conversation. This has been so focused on earnings and like classic Bloomberg stuff, like I grew up in the generation of people that learned computed using Microsoft Word and Excel and PowerPoint, et cetera, et cetera. Irrespective of what I use today, I don't use that. I use Chat, GPT, Gemini, Claude. The totality and functionality of those platforms makes that kind of suite of software obsolete and I'm certainly not paying for it. How big a sort of existential question is that for Microsoft? And how reliant is it? Sorry to have a long question, How reliant on is it for copilot being a success?
Speaker 5: Therefore, Yeah, I think there are multiple ways to tackle this problem. I do think there is a disconnect between the consumer facing market and the enterprise facing market. Where we see this at our own organization. In order to get really good AI tools in the hands of people who work at enterprises, you need enterprise grade security or reliability depth the functionality. There are a number of systems that have to ultimately connect to build you something that is sustainable and durable over time. So I do think Copilot is one of the key ways that Masoft is addressing this problem. But there's also something like Foundry. Microsoft Foundry allows you to actually benchmark lms against each other and pick where you are on the frontier of cost and performance in a way that's quite differentiated today. And so there are multiple ways whereas at the infrastructre layer of the platform lay the application layer. Over time that will come together. And one of the things that we wanted to highlight today is just the strategic totalness and completeness of how Microsoft is thinking of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Gabriela Borg's of Goldman Saxe has been brilliant to have you on Bloomberg Text, thank you so much having me. Let's get over to Meta. Thank you. Shares of Meta right now on track for their biggest jump since July. The social media giant has e some of Wall Street's concerns about its massive AI spending after beating expectations in the holiday quarter, but it's all in the outlook. Joining us is Schweder Cajuria, Managing director of Global Internet at Wolf Research and outperform rating on the stock price target eight hundred and fifty dollars one hundred and thirty five billion dollars of capital expenditures at the top end, but also enough growth in the core B business aided by AI to justify it. Is it as simple as that?
Speaker 7: I think so. Well, first of fall, thanks for having me ed. I think the key question getting into the print was well, Meta is one of those companies that is spending a lot of money not only on AI headcount but also on capex, and they have yet to show something for it. Well, this is a quarter where they're showing it. Where the first quarter guide of over thirty percent year of a year on a reported basis is the highest we have seen since the third quarter of twenty twenty one and over four years and so. And at that time Meta's business was about half the size as it is now. So this is best in class, remarkable growth rate. So the point is if it can accelerate to this level, even if the growth decelerates going forward modestly, they have enough monetization levers that seem durable because they're making so many changes to their own models that are driving impressions growth and ro for advertisers in addition to potentially new monetization beyond advertising revenue that will come on because of their AI models over long near to midterm, and that is giving comfort on Okay, well, maybe they are spending to sustain a pretty healthy level off top line growth.
Speaker 2: Meta is not a hyperscaler, but something interesting. Caroline brought up with our last guest, Gabriella from Goldman Is Microsoft tried to talk up all the benefits it's feeling internally from allocating computes and investing. Susan Lee talks about exactly the same thing. Engineering output internally is up thirty percent. Is that a data point that you look at and say, Okay, I believe you that this is worth it because internally you're doing better as well. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. One of the metrics that we do track is headcoune growth, and so what we are seeing is and what we expect is headcount growth to moderate growing forward, even though it will be in the positive territory, but more moderate as well as compensation skew to shift more towards engineering and higher compensated employees. In return, what we expect to see is perhaps greater level of productivity or shipments of products and new features that we think will then drive further ROI for advertisers and in exchange drive impressions growth, engagement, growth, and then monetization. That's how we see this play out, what.
Speaker 3: A difference the quarter makes and how much we beat up over CAPEX last time. In this time we see the optimism and the driving forward the promise of AI that understands us personally is how Mark Zakova was talking about it. But how crucial is therefore the next iteration of their large language model. How important is avocado, what the code name is or what they're building that it lands unlike Lama.
Speaker 7: Form, well, it is incredibly important. Going into the print, that was one of the key concerns for Meta that we haven't heard or seen a model yet when Gemini and arguably GPT five as well as Clouds models are way ahead. The expectation, however, is not for Meta's next model to really break the top three in the lam Arena rankings. It's more about Metas models to be in the ranking of in conversation of being a competitive model. If that happens, then that is a sign that they are on a good trajectory for upcoming updates to frontier models that they can leverage then for better impressions or monetization, and that should be enough to give investors some comfort.
Speaker 4: What excites you the most?
Speaker 3: Is it the commerce applications, the ways in which you're going to find it easier and easy to purchase using their own AI offerings, or is it actually that we're purchasing hardware through them. Billions of people can be wearing glasses and might be therefore wearing metaglasses.
Speaker 7: I think it's the former. They have shown a lot of competency in technology, in product development and then also in distribution, and so this is not a new thing for Meta. When we go back and Snapchat was picking up in their product, well, then we saw reels and it's over fifty billion dollars of revenue run rate. There's Open Ai, Sora, and guess what there is Meta ais Vibes as well. And they benefit from having a massive distribution, great resources, as well as the tech knowledge and product knowledge to scale these types of products and compete. So I'm more optimistic on their ability to drive monetization not only within advertising, because they are upgrading their models but also beyond advertising, whether to your point it's agentic commerce because guess what, a lot of gen Zers start their shopping and they start their search on social media. So there's a huge untapped opportunity there as well as business AI where they don't necessarily compete with anybody but themselves in getting a lot of those businesses on WhatsApp on board to spend on their business AI product that we think is a forty billion dollar opportunit from them.
Speaker 4: Shredo Cajuria, Always so great to have you on the show. Thank you from Wolf Research.
Speaker 3: Coming up, more earnings, more Capex to delve into. Tesla announces a new Terrafab build out as it looks to make its own chips. We're going to speak to within Tashakini of our invest as a blumber tech.
Speaker 8: I think in order to remove the constraint, the probable constraint in three or four years, we're going to have to build a Tesla terra fab, a very big fab that includes logic, memory and packaging.
Speaker 2: Domestically. That was Tesla's CEO Elon Musk outlining ambitious plans for a Terrafab, a chip factory for Tesla. In an effort to alleviate chips and parts constraints. Shares now down around two percent. Actually, at one point in the session we were up two percent and then as low as down four percent. The company's fourth quarter earnings top testimers everyone look past them. Tasha Kini, Ourk invest director of Research Autonomous Technology Robotics, joins us, Now, the kind of big headline for me was the capital expenditures commitment twenty billion dollars this year. You know full well, it's way beyond what they might do in a typical year. So let's start with that. You know, it's clearly a signal that these things that Elon Musk has kept you guys looking to the horizon on some time. Now it's on paper, it's time to act.
Speaker 9: Yes, well, you know, I think the capital expenditures are not too surprising to us. We had fairly aggressive investment estimations in our public valuation model. But that's all to say, you know, I think the next five years for Tesla will be dominated by the Robotaxi story. You know we've previously published. We think this could be attributable to over ninety percent of the enterprise value for the company in that time period. And you know, in order to put many vehicles on the road, which is their plan, they need to invest. Of course, a lot of that money is going into factories AI infrastructure build out. So you know, I think the story here is that Tesla, while they were you know, second or behind Weimo in terms of a commercial launch for ROBATAXI platform, they have an incredible scale that is really not matched by anyone in terms of the public announcements that they've made of putting actual vehicles on the road.
Speaker 2: Right on terror fabs specifically, you and the team at ARC know fool well, a fab at that scale is a fixed cost of twenty to thirty billion dollars, and the CFO was clear this is not reflected in their CAPEX forecast. But there's a reason that the industry doesn't put memory, logic and packaging on one site that doesn't exist. But it is Musk's proposal. How seriously are you taking that?
Speaker 9: Well, I think you know, he's always been a very ambitious CEO. I would interpret this as, Look, he's he's concerned Tesla needs a lot of chips. They have grand ambitions for AI data centers in space. We think you know that could uh that could be a really interesting play, especially as launch costs continue to decline. It could actually be cheaper than terrestri than for data centers on Earth. So, you know, I think the way to interpret it at is that he knows that he needs a lot of chips. We've seen him vertically integrate in the past in the electric vehicle business for instance, and parts of the supply chain that he did not see popping up in the US that they needed in the US. So you know, I think this sort of fits in with with what he's done in the past. Albeit, yes, it's a major announcement for Tesla, So i'd say broadly that, like I would interpret some of it as a call to action that you know, he he is looking out there at the supply chain. But yes, for now they have this very ambitious plan. And again I would focus on the at least from evaluation perspective, on the robotaxi picture here. Of course they also use those chips for optimists, but I would focus on robotaxis And.
Speaker 4: Let's focus just on what you have told the market.
Speaker 3: You anticipate if I'm right, by twenty twenty nine, what is it the stock will hit twenty six hundred and eighty eight percent of the company's value will be robotaxis, and you've talked about the millions of robotaxes that really could.
Speaker 4: Be produced by then.
Speaker 3: To that end, how integral is the XAI integration if we're going to think about integration, is that important for the story and the two billion well basically capital allocation that was made towards it.
Speaker 9: So you know, of course we hadn't previously accounted for that the way that I would think of it, as you know, on the call they mentioned, of course they're making GROC available in the vehicles. I think the more interesting parts of the story are, of course, you know, they could potentially share AI infrastructure investment.
Speaker 6: And mutually benefit from each other.
Speaker 9: He did mention that GROC could sort of act as this like maestro for optimists and for the robotaxis in terms of you know, like networking them together and sort of being the AI control center if you will, for robotaxis and any sort of like large scale optimist project. So that's how I would think about the AD investment.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about this ROBOTAXI unlock. Then what needs to fall into place for the twenty twenty nine moment to occur from your perspective, because at the moment, we've got just a handful in Austin that don't have someone in the driver's seat. How quickly does that scale do you think in realistic nature?
Speaker 9: Yeah, so you're correct that you know, there really are only a handful that currently have no one in the driver's seed. They did say though, that they have five hundred robotaxis and that they plan to double that every month. I mean, if that's true, if you look at Waymo's fleet, the last reported number we saw was about three thousand cars. So in other words, Tesla could surpass Waymos's robotaxi fleet within three months.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think that's incredible if you look at the fact that.
Speaker 9: Weimo launched the service back in twenty ninety, right, So again I would focus on the fact that this is like unmatched scale. They're a vertically integrated player. They do not have to partner with other auto manufacturers. This also gives them a cost advantage. So in the Big Ideas presentation that we just published, you know, we estimate that they have a fifty percent cost advantage over Weimo on the next generation vehicle.
Speaker 6: If you compare it to the cybercab.
Speaker 9: So this is really what matters for Tesla scaling robotaxis that competitors do not have. On top of that, they have the data advantage. You know, if you look at Waymo's miles, we estimate they're doing around four hundred thousand per day. You know, Tesla gets seventeen million miles of FSD data per day that they can use to train the fleet. So that is something that competitors just do not have in the robotexi front. And it's important that scale is important because we think that what will drive robotaxi adoption is a reduction in the price per mile. So today human driven ride hill costs over two dollars per mile on average. We think at scale that could be profitably priced to twenty five cents. But the reality is there's a lot of headway in between that two dollars and twenty five cents to make profit.
Speaker 3: I'm think eventually cheaper than driving your personal car. Tasha Kini of ARC, we thank you very much. Indeed, and a correction to myself, the safety drivers are in the passenger seat, as Ed points out.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, let's talk.
Speaker 3: Vidia still hasn't received any orders from Chinese customers.
Speaker 4: I'll talk that next. This is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech. We're in it. This is it mag seven earnings and the story. You know it. Capital expenditures, how do they compare to grow directly from AI were In Meta's case, it was enough for the market to believe up by the most since July last year, about eight percent. Microsoft having a very hard day, biggest drop since March of twenty twenty four hundred billion dollars in market cap shed and the reverse equation TESLA now lower, but it had been higher in the session, a big CAPEX number, the likes of which we've not seen before from that name. Plenty of other earnings as well, IBM posting revenues topping estimates, surviving doing good in this software environment. It's difficult. Comcast also moving to the upside on its earnings. And then there's SAP. Yeah, in Europe, this isn't that pretty down seventeen percent again, challenging software environment. We spoke to the CEO.
Speaker 10: When you look back into all technological innovations which happened over the last ten years, it always started on the hardware side of the house over time, it's also always the same that the real value equation is lying on the absolutely So the investors are of course now seeing, hey, first the groundwork needs to be done, but I'm one hundred percent sure that they already understand today that the value creation at the end to arrive on the business side of the house will come.
Speaker 2: Why are companies like.
Speaker 3: Sp other software names having a very hard time of it today? And one of them is Service Now In fat Bill McDermott, the CEO that company used to be the CEO SAP.
Speaker 4: Check out the shares of by eleven and a half percent.
Speaker 3: This stock trades at the lowest since October twenty twenty three. The market remained skeptical the company's AI strategies, even after it gave strong sales outlook For the current call to just take a listen to what he told us earlier.
Speaker 11: I think the most important thing is to level set what Service Now is all about. First, it's the fastest growing enterprise software company of all time, first to a billion, five ten and now fifteen billion plus. So that's fantastic, and we're operating at the rule of fifty five. They say you're world class when you're operating at the rule of forty. We're now growing revenues more than twenty percent and free cash flow at thirty seven percent, so it's actually a rule of fifty seven company, and we gave a guide that blew away everyone's expectations. So I think the key is this, we're in a category of one and we're playing a different game. And right now the disjoint between that successful company and the compression of the multiples is simply Wall Street putting service now in a SaaS neighborhood with other SaaS companies where they think that AI can rewrite those programs.
Speaker 2: AI can't rewrite our programs.
Speaker 11: In fact, AI makes us better and we make AI better. We've been building AI into our model for seven years now. We have eighty billion workflows in flight today doing six and a half trillion transactions. That's pretty hard to rewrite overnight. So we're beautifully positioned. And we just announced partnerships with Open Ai and Anthropic because they understand the meaningful difference between giving enterprise access to an AI model and building that model into workflow where real decisions are made. So it's actually a win win, and the market hasn't caught up with that story yet, but they will.
Speaker 4: I'm going to nitpick here.
Speaker 3: When will analysts start saying, okay, revenue will grow not at nineteen percent for fiscal twenty six but out of twenty one percent you just delivered for fiscal twenty twenty five. When will it look out that will still see more than twenty percent growth or an acceleration in revenue growth based on how much you're working with AI to hasten the business.
Speaker 11: It's a wonderful question because we're the only one, you know. One of the other concerns was are seats compressing? Meaning do you have less people buying your seats on a licensed basis? And our active users are actually up twenty five percent when all the other ones are actually going down.
Speaker 2: That was Bill McDermott's CEO Service. Now two software CEOs saying AI has made everything better, Yet both their stocks are down pretty severely.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 2: Apple shares are down about ten percent since they're high in December, making them by far the worst performer among the Magnificent seven. The iPhone maker is usual report earnings that include holiday season results and insight into the impact of memory prices as gets Bloomberg's Mark German, the man who brings all the reporting on Apple and leads our consumer tech team, is going to be a spotlight. Right, Let's start there and we'll get to memory prices. Because I read the preview and some of the third party data, I look back at what you wrote last quarter there was momentum in China. What are you expecting that?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think the momentum in China is real. I think you're going to see growth there. Obviously there's still quite a ways away from their peak in China several years ago, but clearly this iPhone seventeen Pro Max launch in China, particularly with the new colors and the new design, seems to be doing the trick there based on all the forecasts we're getting. I know the memory situation is important and everyone is hyper focused on that, but I just want to take a step back here. Here's what we're dealing with.
Speaker 2: I'm going to just be honest.
Speaker 12: You have a company here that is lagging right now in AI, is lagging right now in products to some extent. You haven't seen a major new idea that's making a huge impact in a while. And the problem is is they have this air cover with these just absolutely gigantic, terrific, unprecedented financial results. And when everything is going well on paper, when you're selling your current devices and your current strategies so well, you know, you really don't have the inclination to go try to make major changes. And so that's the problem they're dealing with.
Speaker 2: At this point.
Speaker 12: They are so successful that it's probably hurting them in the long.
Speaker 3: Term, so successful that revenues is likely to jump eleven percent to one hundred and thirty eight billion dollars mark. But as you say, there's no foldable phone at the moment that depending on Google for the underlying AI technology, how much will they have to talk and steer us.
Speaker 4: To the next big innovation?
Speaker 2: You know, the.
Speaker 12: Foldable phone is cool, but it really doesn't matter. The big thing here is that a lot of the platforms Apple are running right now. It's it's legacy stuff, right The app Store is a legacy platform. The iPhone operating system is a legacy operating system. They need to accelerate the shift artificial intelligence, the shift to agents everywhere, the shift away from jumping in and out of applications to something entirely new. They need a shift to a stream of different AI hardware devices. You know, Apple has been operating the last few years on We're not going to overspend on AI. We're not going to overhire an AI. This is a bubble, it's going to burst. All these models are going to become commoditized, and maybe there will be some commoditization on the models. And obviously you're seeing that with their ability to partner with Jim and I here to fix some of their problems. But AI is not going away.
Speaker 2: AI is not a bubble.
Speaker 12: It's bigger than the Internet was, you know, twenty five years ago, and so they really need to shift into this new direction. And when everything is working so well in terms of sales, it's really hard to do. So it's hard to operate the current business and operate the future business. You know, operating on two timelines is very difficult. It's like a sports team that's winning championships.
Speaker 2: They have the.
Speaker 12: Best player, but they're also trying to draft, you know, younger guys to create a next generation and you've seen lots of difficulties for sports teams being able to do that. It's hard for Apple and tech companies to do the same.
Speaker 4: Innovatives dilemma.
Speaker 3: Mark German, you're always giving us the truth, Fumbs, I appreciate it, Thank you very much. Indeed, coming up, Delian Asperahoff from Founder's Fund, Christian Garrett of one three seven Ventures join us to discuss what we can expect from the Seers, Hill and Ballely Forum.
Speaker 4: This has been their tech the Hill and Ballely Forum.
Speaker 3: It brings together leaders from tech and politics and it's entering its third year. The time when links between Capitol Hill and Silicon Valley our front and center, thanks a course to this AI boom. We're pleased to welcome Christian Garrett, it's partner at one three seven Ventures, and Dellian Asperahoff, it's partner at Founder's Fund, and both are co founders of the Hill and Barry Forum.
Speaker 4: In fact, the other person who helped co.
Speaker 3: Found it, Jacob, is now helping in the administration. So talk to us first, Christian, about what you want out of this year. How do you want to take this from a global perspective around AI.
Speaker 13: You know, this year is our fifth year of doing the Hill and Valley Forum. Fifth, it's a fifth It started as a small dinner in twenty twenty two during the Biden administration, and it's obviously grown to become one of the largest, if not the largest gatherings of DC and tech leaders. I think this year is very special because it's obviously happening during the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary for the country. And I also think this year will be a little bit unique in that we're really focused not just on technological leadership, which is the underpinning, but industrial leadership, which has been a huge focus in this administration, and then also alliance leadership, and so you'll actually have leaders there from other countries, from within NATO, and I think that's going to be a big difference, is the global scale of everyone's focus on building deeper bridges between technology and government.
Speaker 3: What's been really interesting is how the ViBe's shifted when it was private dinners, then it was the now third sort of in public event Daralian.
Speaker 4: That now the hill and the valley are so much closer.
Speaker 3: I'm interested as to how you keep that contrarian perspective, how you get diff different voices around a table of how this can be done from an industrial from a tech perspective right now.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it definitely takes a lot of intentionality. I think one of the things that's been exciting to see as a shift is rather than just having discussions, this year, you're going to see us actually release a set of different policy papers across different you know, sort of industrial areas, whether that's in rare earths. There's going to be a set around biotech versus China and making sure that we don't lose that supply chain to them, as well as reindustrialization. And a lot of it is in the you know, sort of conversations ahead of the forum with both technology leaders, leaders within the government, regulators to understand the different perspectives and come in a line on something that actually is like a material, you know, product that we're trying to actually use to go shift how a particular industry works.
Speaker 2: Christian, thanks coming on the show. You know it's going to be interesting to hear about what your objectives are here, right. I think back to the last July winning the AI Race summit. You know, the President took specific action. And what's interesting about Hill and Body Forum is its industry and decent right, you know there will be politicians and policymakers there. Do you have a goal or something that you want to achieve, Like, what is the next action that you and your peers feel this administration needs to take and in which domain? I think that's a great question.
Speaker 13: You know, for us, the fundamental goal is creating an environment for there to be a rebuilding of these bridges. That was kind of the goal from the beginning and it still remains that. So I think first and foremost is gathering everyone together and having these open discussions, and most importantly actually gathering people from different backgrounds. You'll see actually, you know, vanode Coslaw, who's spoken every single year and is attending this year, has very different views on certain regulatory opportunities or certain industry opportunities.
Speaker 2: Then maybe you'll have.
Speaker 13: From another partner at another firm, maybe you'll have Obviously every year we've had open AI and anthropics speak, who are competitors, but in this case they're both a lot of the importance of technological leadership in AI. So I think first and foremost it's gathering everyone together. We don't per se take goals or things that we think about. We really want to create the stage for there to be open debate and have a rare opportunity for there to be unity. You know, we use the term bipartisant, but I think actually this is something that's just non partisan. Everyone believes across the aisle and the importance of making sure that the US has technological, industrial, and economic leadership, and that is important for national security as well, and that is how we can create opportunity. And then everything else is a great forum really to have discussion and debate around.
Speaker 2: DELL, you know, bipartisan initiative, right, if you're being honest and you think back five years ago, you know, you guys might might have felt like you were probably outsiders in d C. I don't know if that's fair. But present day, you know, how are things different in the way that the administration and the apparatus of DC works with the technology industry. And how would you reflect on progress that you think you've made?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, obviously, if you look at the sort of preak divide between the two, you know, communities that may have ben program within Google and I think it was twenty sixteen seventeen, people within Silicon Valley did not want to be working at all. Obviously the government now obviously, you know, look at US as a decade later, you have folks that actually have deep technological you know sort of backgrounds both as elected officials and within appointed officials. So Jade Vance obviously being you know, sort of a former venture capitalist, Stephen Finberg, Emil Michael, you know, Jim O'Neil. You know, leaders basically you know, across the entire administration that bring that technological leadership. And so yeah, obviously, you know, at this point when we look at the Hill of Valley Forum and some of the elected officials that are speaking, it's no longer folks with just a political background, but it's folks that have a strong technological background and obviously are now in the you know, some political ecosystem, and so it is very merged. But we want to make sure that we're going to continue to keep this because you know, the Hill and Valley Forum, it was founded under the Biden administration in twenty twenty nine. We want to make sure that irrespective of who is president, it still is a place where we can continue to maintain those ties no matter which you president is in office.
Speaker 3: And those ties are indeed reliance on some of the companies that you have backed to become ever more important in this geopolitical come text. Do you think of Andreil that both of you and we think about Space X, which everyone's very excited about potential IPO of this year. Will they inherently deepen, do you think Christian at the moment? And will they deepen with other countries as well? How much more are we seeing countries in Europe still wanting to rely on an Andral or are you worried about that? From a geopolitical respective, I.
Speaker 13: Think that one in the US or domestically, you will continue to see these relationships deepen. And really this is not anything new.
Speaker 2: You know, the United.
Speaker 13: States used to practice stay craft. The United States used to invest heavily in industry. The United States also, for example, was a key driver in the creation of the Silicon Valley industry. Right it was the Cold War era funding, whether it was grants through research in universities or whether it was government contracts in the early days really helped build Silicon Valley in California. And then that has obviously expanded to a global tech industry. And so I think the same trend is happening abroad where you're seeing governments want to partner people with their logical sector. But in regards to governments and how they partner with each other. What we've seen is actually the focus on technology has been a key factor for that. If you look at initiatives like pack Silica or various other initiatives, they're centered around industrial and technological partnership. And so I think United States companies will play a big role in how the US and our allies work together. And I think the same way, we want to see successful companies in Europe, in the Middle East, in Japan and South Korea play a big role in how they also partner with the US two. So I think at the forum you'll see leaders from companies across the globe, not just US companies, and that's something that we're very excited about.
Speaker 2: You know, we can discuss this March twenty fourth. We hope to be there, guys. And the President's changed how the space is funded right. OSTP now has a role. Dell, We're going to run out of time, but big milestone day for Varda. We're showing this image here just explain what we're looking at LEAs. Yes, so this is Varda's fifth vehicle that we sent up to orbit. We build these three hundred kilogram satellites that basically manufacture pharmaceuticals in the microgravity environment of lower orbit and then bring those back down. What you're seeing here is a vehicle that re entered at Mock twenty five in South Australia and landed earlier this morning. Right now, it's actually nighttime in Australia, so we'll be you know, sort of picking it up from the desert once daylight hits. But we're super happy this is our successful you know sort of forth landing. We've got a sixth vehicle that's going up into orbit in about a month and a half and so, you know, taking what was an initial demonstration in twenty twenty four, doing this very regularly, and a part of it is i think enabled by you know, some of the groups within OSTP that have made it so that the regulations around space are starting to become more centralized, more streamlined. We used to have to go to almost like six different agencies in order to be able to figure out basically how to operate a vehicle like this, versus the administration's new space policy starting to understand okay, space companies can't have to go after that many different agencies. Christian Garrett Delhi and es BOROOV two of the Hill and Valley co founders and Bench Capitalists founders in their own right. Hope to see you in March. Thank you very much. So coming up, Amazon discovered child sexual abuse material in its AI data. The content was removed before the company's models were trained, but officials say the tech giants still won't disclose where it came from. We have more nex This is Bloombergen. Throughout last year, Amazon detected and reported hundreds of thousands of pieces of content from its AI training data sets that it believed included child sexual abuse content. That material was removed before the models were trained, but child safety officials say the company has not provided them with information about its sources that could be helpful to law enforcement. In a statement, an Amazon spokesperson said the training data was from external sources and the company doesn't have the details about its origin that could aid investigators. Bloomberg's Riley Griffin reported on and broke this story. I think let's start with the very basics of what the entity that we reported with saw in the data when it came to specifically AI related reports of child sexual abuse material. Just start with that place.
Speaker 15: Yeah, So there's an organization called the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, and it effectively serves as a clearing house fielding tips from industry of child sexual abuse material to law enforcement. This is a really important part of the process because this is the connectivity that allows local law enforcement agents to actually track down children who might be an active danger and find the perpetrators of abuse. They feel these reports from companies like Amazon, and when hundreds of thousands of reports came in, they typically expect details, location, data, sources, where did you find this data? And Amazon has not shared that detail, which has stunted further investigation.
Speaker 3: Is that why Amazon's dat was seen as some sort of outlaw here?
Speaker 4: Riley?
Speaker 15: Yeah, so, Nick Mick, the clearinghouse has been tracking this broader bucket of AI related reports that can be AI generated child sexual abuse material, exploit of conversation with chatbots. It could also be known images of abuse that have existed on the Internet, and ultimately this bucket is rising. This year twenty twenty five was the first in which they saw one million reports of AI related child sexual abuse material, and Amazon drove the vast majority, so hundreds of thousands of those cases. That's what makes it an outlier. Here in addition to the lack of.
Speaker 2: Information, this is a story about how artificial intelligence is changing the child safety landscape. And in the course of reporting, you spoke with a wide range of experts in this field. What are the risks that they are warning about? And I suppose the solutions.
Speaker 15: Yeah, one expert said, when you hoover up a ton of the Internet, you're going to find this kind of material.
Speaker 4: The Internet can be a dark place.
Speaker 15: But it is on the companies themselves to ensure that their training data sets are clean before they train their models. The risks, of course, ed can be that the models learn these kinds of behaviors, they can reproduce those images, they can continue to retraffic images of abuse, and so questions that we have for all companies right now is how are they ensuring their data sets are clean?
Speaker 3: As we see, Amazon has responded to your reporting. What do you think the next steps are?
Speaker 4: Riley?
Speaker 15: Yeah, we still don't have answers from Amazon on where the actual training data came from. It'll be interesting to see when we get full data in March from the company, and when we hear more from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. As about the broader landscape. But for now, the question lingers Caroline.
Speaker 3: Riley Griffin important reporting and how this landscape is changing very swiftly and downhill for child safety it would seem at the moment though. We appreciate your time for that conversation, and it does it for this edition of Bloomberg Tech d.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Apple after the market closed. That is big, and we'll learn a lot about the world memory prices through to the markets in China. Earnings continue, a lot to recap on in this episode. Check out the podcast you know where to find it online on Apple, Spotify, iHeart, and of course on all of the Bloomberg platforms as well. Thank you for tuning in from New York City and San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Tech