Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to I've never said this before with me, Tommy Di Dario, I have the biggest ball of beautiful energy on my show today. I'm literally still smiling from this conversation. The brilliant actress Shanola Hampton joins me today, who became a household name through playing Veronica akav and the smash hit series Shameless. She played V for eleven seasons, which I mean, it's just unheard of in today's TV landscape. From the moment she graced our screens as V, she showed the world that we all need a little Shanola in our lives, and now she is playing a total badass in the NBC series Found Shanola starts as Gabby. She is a public relation specialist who shines a light on missing persons cases. So you throw in a little kidnapping, some shocking twists, some dark secrets, and of course rescuing those missing people, and you have one recipe for quite a thrilling show. But the recipe I also want is Shanola's recipe for life, because she has a spirit that can make even the grumpiest person in the world's crack and smile. That is her gift. So let's see if today we can get Shanola to say something that she has never said before. Shanola, I love you. I think I just said I'm leaving my husband for you. This is how we're starting the conversation.
Speaker 2: I love it. How long have you been married?
Speaker 1: Nine years this month?
Speaker 2: I mean you've done it.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Makes a ten? And then you and I have a life.
Speaker 1: We have fun together. We'd have some fun together. Pretty cute together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we could you imagine our kids? Oh my gosh, the eyes. See I don't know if everyone understands what it's like to sit across from those Okay, stop it. You do this thing where you act like, oh, I'm not really looking at you, but I am, and I know what my eyes are doing. I got fine, Yeah, okay, but really I'm just so nonchalantly looking at you, and I'm going to ask you questions and you're going to open up about everything to me. Yeah, I'm in for it. Okay, what do you want to know?
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, I feel like we're best friends because I've seen your face all over billboards for like months and months and months. Now does that ever feel normal.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't feel normal, but it feels really good. And it also feels like I knew. It doesn't feel strange. Does that make sense. It doesn't feel normal, but it also doesn't feel like it's out of pocket or out of the realm of what was supposed to happen in my life. And not in like a cocky way, but in a very I used to pretend when I was a little girl. You just met my sister. We would go into restaurants and I used to pretend like the paparazzi was following me, and I was like, ten yea, and no, not right now, please, I just want to eat with my family. And I'm just in South Carolina pretending my family's like, oh, I got how are you doing?
Speaker 1: Relaxed, that's not happening. Yeah, I know that's happening for you.
Speaker 2: Oh. Of course, Shanolo is a lot and so imagine this energy at that age. So everything was Shanola, please, Shanola please, oh, Shanola please. So it was very much that.
Speaker 1: But when you look at those billboards, do you think I deserve that I put in the time. Yes, it is my time now.
Speaker 2: I always say this. I never I was not found in a coffee shop. No one walked by me on the sidewalk and said, you girl, that you're the one for this role. I absolutely feel like not only did I put my time in in the business, but educating myself, making sure that I had the resources dealing with a lot of blows in order to be able to accept this time in a way that doesn't feel like I'm an impostor, right, So it makes me feel like, Okay, I've earned this position. I think it's so wonderful if people have success that is quote unquote overnight when you see it in and they don't. But there is something about that earn It makes you mentally ready, which is really the biggest thing is getting your mind wrapped around what's happening in your life. And I feel I'm so complete at home. I've been married for twenty five years. Come on to the college, sweetheart, I have two kids, so it's sort of my career is not on the back burner, but it's just an additive to my already full life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is nice, and it's amazing because the world fell in love with you from shameless Yes eleven seasons. That's I mean, I don't even tell you that. That's almost unheard of nowadays to be on a show for eleven seasons. We did it, Yes.
Speaker 2: We did it. It was. It's so funny. When we met the first time we played Guitar Hero, we did miniature golf together. Because John Wells, who is the greatest showrunner of all time and creator of Material, knew Material, knew that he wanted to create a synergy. It had to be exactly right with these people, and he got it right. The kids on our show were nine and ten when we started the show. When we got done, they were nineteen and twenty, so so much life happened and I got to live it with them, and Jeremy was eighteen and Cameron was sixteen. It was it was such a moment in life that I can't describe to people how special that experience was. Because we were a family on and off screen and still are.
Speaker 1: That's not always the case, No, that's usually not the case. You know, when you're putting different people together, you hope it all works out, and you hope that you become a family and friends, but quite often you don't.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and sometimes you become family and friends, but it's just for that season and then it doesn't carry over when the show is over. That is not the case with us. As soon as I landed in New York, Jeremy's on my phone. You know, tell me and Steve how we talk? Not just once a week, multiple times a week. We're in each other's lives in a very real, real way and not five minutes. Hey, how are you doing conversations? Real life stuff like true friend true friendships, true family. Ethan's out here right now doing a movie. It's just we're very and also, I'm mama bear, so try to get rid of me if you want to.
Speaker 1: Know what you're doing? Where are you going?
Speaker 2: Why did I have to find out about this on social media? What are we doing? Yeah? That's that.
Speaker 1: I like you. What's your sign?
Speaker 2: I'm a geminia?
Speaker 1: Aren't?
Speaker 2: But can you see it completely?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Are we compatible? I don't know. Someone looked that up.
Speaker 1: We're going to need to look that up. I hope we are. I hope we are. Baby. Let me let me tell you the show. I believe next year mark's fifteen years since it premiered.
Speaker 2: Is that true?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's insane. Yeah, that is insane.
Speaker 1: I mean I think that's a perfect time for a reunion of some sort.
Speaker 2: It would be such a dream and a pleasure at whatever point that that happens, to do a reunion, to reunite with not only our family, but to also see where the characters people fell in. The crazy fandom that is Shameless is unlike any other. Everyone wants to know what happened next. I want to know what where? Did did Veronica and keV really move?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Will Frank come back as a ghost? Did he even really die? I mean they did burn him up, so probably Yeah, I'm gonna go with you. But you know, he's got to come back somehow because we got to do it with Bill Masie. He's the best, and so it would be a dream. Now, listen, Jeremy has probably booked and busy. I hope he hears me say this, so he'll I you know, he might be too good for us now, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: Well, Mama Bear is the one that has to wrangle everyone together, so it's on you to make this all happen.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, and he knows that I will uh huh when I say we're doing it.
Speaker 1: You the is so beloved, right, what part of your personality rubbed off on V or what part of these personality rubbed off on you over the years.
Speaker 2: Her energy, Yeah, and my energy I thing rubbed up on V. She's a little more street than I am. But they both have this, we both haven't they We both have this sense of loyalty about family and there was, if you think about shameless, V was a moral compass in this crazy world. Even when Fiona would be doing some of her shenanigans, she would try to bring her back to some sort of morality about it. Now, that doesn't mean that she's not gonna rab the milkman from you know, from the truck and set that up, but there was some sort of moral compass that she has, and she and keV were the only relationship that was sustainable the entire season series. They stayed together. They had that patch where they messed up and it wasn't but it wasn't a cheating patch, you know. It was a true love that you got to watch go through all of the things for eleven seasons. So I love that.
Speaker 1: You and keV, V, you and CAV. Let's have fun for a minute. If you guys were to have a spin off, yes, where would you be right now, and what would it be.
Speaker 2: Called, Well, it would be called no keV without V. Think about it, s e k e V no Kev'll be easier.
Speaker 1: And I did it.
Speaker 2: I did that for the audiences in their car. I didn't. We've thought about this because we're trying to pitch it right now. I'm just kidding, we're not. But no, and I think that it would be somewhere with us owning a bar together, because I just think that that allows for so many characters to come in and out with our girls going through puberty, that's where they would be right now and having a deal with that and being a biracial uh girls going through puberty at school. Maybe not in Chicago, but maybe we end up moving back to Chicago. I mean, I can go on and on and on. You have ideas, I have ideas and still having crazy sex. Can you say that one?
Speaker 1: Of course you can. You can say anything off. We're not daytime baby, this is my spot. That's right, That's that's your magic though. Your chemistry with everyone you work with is always so right on. And we're going to talk about that in this amazing show you're in now, which is Oh my god, just brilliant, but especially with keV. With Steve Howie, Yeah, who's my best friend? You guys were magic together. Yeah, that was magical together.
Speaker 2: People don't realize that to have that kind of relationship on screen that we have. I mean our first scene. This is true because I can say anything on you. Right, Okay, let's get into it. So our very first scene that we shot together, I am riding him like a bull. The first Hello, meet Sheanola Hampton, Sheanola, meet Steve. Are we ready? This is the pilot episode. Go back and watch it. Veronica has a strap on tne though. It's Frank saying, these are our crazy neighbors, and I am riding him. And he tells the story. But let's be for real. He's just being dramatic that because I pulled I have to pull his neck, that I really pulled his neck and I pulled something not true. I will not own that, but he says, and that's how so you know you're either going to get it together with one another or you're not. Right away, yeah, and we did.
Speaker 1: That could be a very uncomfortable situation. And you were like, I'm here, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: Let's go absolutely and he was the same way awkward it was. It was sort of this chemistry that we had right away. And of course he's such a an interesting personality when you first meet him, because he's so big and he can be sarcastic and people don't know how to take him. But he is the warmest, most loyal human being in the entire world. I mean, of course I feel that way because he's my best friend. But I also told him about male hygiene. Sir, I'm gonna need you to man escape.
Speaker 1: What was he shown up to set not doing that?
Speaker 2: Listen, here's the thing, girl, even though you are pretending to go down on someone, I'm still seeing something I've got. What I don't want to see is your pigs coming out of your underwear. So what you're gonna do is going and shape that out. He'll tell you that, right you met me like no, But but we didn't have to do a going down scene. It was after that first one, and I told him, before you get even think about doing a sex scene with me, get your butt in the shower. Sweaty balls, sweaty balls, don calm near me.
Speaker 3: Boo, not doing that.
Speaker 2: So he'll tell, he'll tell, he will admit to it that I taught him all the things he needed to know about male escaping.
Speaker 1: We need a Shanola in our lives. In our lives, yes, yes, but it's so true when you're working with someone so intimately, like you got to be honest and you have to you know, you want to smell good, look good, feel good, all of it. And when you're that close, yeah, you better be ready for anything that's right.
Speaker 2: And your partner wants the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, amen, Amen?
Speaker 2: What twenty five years married, twenty five years married, but thirty years together?
Speaker 1: Well I think you bring this honesty probably to that relationship too.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's so funny to watch my husband and I together because he is I'm the ying to his yang, and he would be in the room right now. I act the same way. I could jump, give you a lap dance, all the things, and he would just sit shake his head in that chair and just that's my wife.
Speaker 1: That's my wife. I feel like you and I are very similar. Like my husband he works on ABC, he's a news anchor, and I'm entertainment baby. So I'm like, what we do in entertainment is not all buttoned up on the News. Right, you don't want to listen to this show.
Speaker 2: Exactly, especially not after we talked about sweaty Balls.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I said, I love you already. I love you already. I just am in awe of everything you've built in your career and of the person you are. And you have this new, amazing show that you were starring in. Okay, producer, yes, okay, producer. It's on NBC, is called Found. How does doing this show fulfill you differently than Shameless? For example?
Speaker 2: What you've mentioned it just in that introduction of it is I am an executive on it. And one of the things that I was afforded after doing a show for so long, eleven seasons unheard of, Right, It's very rare that you have that was the ability to choose my next project and decide how I wanted my career to look. I knew a couple of things. I didn't want to just be an actor for hire anymore. I wanted to make sure that my voice. I had so much to offer on the back end and the things that you don't see on the camera creatively, that I wanted to make sure that my voice wasn't just mute it and I wanted to express myself as a director, producer, all of those things. I didn't know how that was going to materialize. I really didn't, but I knew that I needed to learn from the great John Wells while I was there, so he is one of my mentors, and I did the directing and I directed in the last season of Shameless and now being number one. If you think about Shameless, you have so many characters. So you have Bill who's number one, you have Emmy who's number two at the time. Then there's Jeremy because the kids, it's the Gallagher family. It's their story. So by time you get to the neighbors, you're at number sixty seven six seven ors. I mean whatever, however it pans out, and I go from that to number one, Wow, and a producer and it is it a great world where it's like yes, but it also opens up a new style of management that you have to do with people. I mean, you know from having your own up, you know, it comes with It's so great. I love my name being on this super cute picture. I love my photo. But we got to have the meetings and we have to get into stuff and we you know, there so it comes with pros and cons and that's truthfully, what I think people need to understand is we live such a life that looks like it's all glamour. Yeah, but the work that goes into I always say, for every red carpet picture you see me on that looks happy, and it is and it's a joyful time, imagine about eight times me crying in my closet for each one time you see me on the red carpet. And that's sort of the life that we've chosen to live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so real, and not everybody sees that, right They look at you and everything you have going on and they think, oh my god, nothing could be wrong in her Life's like no, no, no, you have struggles, You've have faced rejection, and you've gone through all of it like we all have in our careers.
Speaker 2: Lots of it. Imagine being a darskin girl with this deep voice, Hello everyone from South Carolina with a natural hair. What jobs am I getting? Boom? You know what I mean? So really, when you just look at it, but it also for me was never a doubt that I was going to sit here across from you looking at these piercing blue eyes. You know, having this conversation, conversation that's meaningful because I felt like it was already ordained for me.
Speaker 1: Well, and also, that's the beauty of the show is you're talking about things on TV that aren't really being talked about. Yeah, you know, and I'm sure for you that holds a lot of weight.
Speaker 2: It does. But you know what's interesting when people say we are and we are talking about things on the show that aren't really talked about. But in our community, we've talked about the fact that there is such a large gap between who gets the media attention and who doesn't when they go missing. And our show is just saying, listen everyone, We're not saying anything specific about any other group, but every single person deserves to be found. Every single person deserves the same media attention. And that's what we're trying to bring light to, is to make these headlines human. Yes, And I think we've been successful in doing that because we've also set it up in a way that it's palatable. Right, you can watch a thriller and you can watch a man be in the basement and us to this cat and mouse game, and the man is some people say good looking, I mean that's fine if y'all into the Marball love it all, Zach and all that. But you know, so you're looking at it from a way that is still has the thriller aspect, and I think that's what's worked.
Speaker 1: Well well right. It's not trying to prove a point or doesn't come off as preachy, feel like or it's a lesson. It's just it is what it is, right, But it's telling a story that needs to be told. Yes, you know, yes, so it's I mean, this show keeps us on the edge of our seats and you your character, I.
Speaker 2: Know, heels running in. Do you see that running in?
Speaker 1: Obviously, But she's also not a perfect character flaw and I love that with a character. I don't need to see another perfect person on TV board. Give me something juicy and.
Speaker 2: You play that, thank you. It is the best. I always call her this beautifully flawed character because in many ways, if you've seen the show, those who haven't, just know that a man kidnapped my character, and then my character re kidnapped the man when she got older. That's all you need to know. The man was in the basement helping solving cases. Yep, it's that good. Go watch it all right, get into it. But what I love about her and the human nature is we're not just one thing, and we all have a dark side. Now it's how much we're able to control leaning into that dark side and what those triggers might be to lean in even deeper. You know, if somebody comes from my kids, I'm gonna tell you right now, I don't know what I'm going to m hm. You come from my husband, I might let you just lie a little bit, but my kidnams getting it. It bends on but but so you just don't know until you're in it. And to be able to have her dealing with trauma and healing and all of the characters really dealing with some sort of trauma and having to heal from that, I think it makes it more human than us just seeing these number ones, you know, doing the oh I'm the hero all the time, because in many ways, is she just as bad as sir? Yeah, yeah, that's the question.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And it makes for a really interesting watch because you never know where it's all gonna go, That's right. You don't know, like will you turn really dark eventually?
Speaker 2: I mean I could maybe maybe the next season. I mean you see by the end of this season, you know the good stuff.
Speaker 1: Mmm mm the finale's coming up. Yes, anything you can tease.
Speaker 2: I can say that I read the finale and I wasn't expecting what I read to be the finale because it made me. You wonder, Okay, how are we coming back? Okay, because it's it's sort of.
Speaker 1: Jack, you're dying up in here or something.
Speaker 2: Come on, let's not get crazy.
Speaker 1: But if I did the number one number one that.
Speaker 2: I just go you have to tie with your eyes open, in heels in heels, the heels would be up here. Oh sorry, So anyway, No, I can tell you that it is what Gabby does is unexpected and it was for me as well.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm putting your hand. Just drop that on and just drop it wherever.
Speaker 2: Drop it like as hoigh.
Speaker 1: Okay, moving move that way. You're the star.
Speaker 2: I'm taking the head.
Speaker 1: Okay, so interesting. We can't wait for that finale. Where's the season three announcement? Girl? What are we waiting for?
Speaker 2: Listen?
Speaker 1: What are we doing? Uh?
Speaker 2: And b C. Yeah, I better announce it soon. Okay, she's in high demand. I'm I'm playing on this mud show.
Speaker 1: Well, by the time this airs, hopefully an announcement would have come out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you have to do that thing where you said since the taping of this show, you know how they do it on Blura has gotten a season three twenty two episode thick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'll come back for that. You'll come back for coming back to Your energy is infectious And I love what you said earlier. You alluded to always knowing that you would be doing this and that this was meant for you. And at five you had a dream, right and you didn't let anything dissuade you from being right here in this room with me talking about being number one on the call sheet in a primetime show, which is just amazing. So a lot of people listening have their own dreams, and it's hard to sometimes keep them around because life happens. So what would you say for anyone who has any sort of dream, whatever it may be.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that the biggest thing that I've always said, because I could asked this question, and it's really how do you block out the noise? That's the hardest thing to do. It's generally one or two things. It's other people around you giving you a look or even a sentence that makes you second guess yourself or it's your own demons that you're battling in your head. And what I would say is it's the intimate moments when you're about to go to sleep, that where your heart and your head are connected and no one else is around, that you have to talk to yourself and say no, no, no, no no no, no, no no no. This would not be put in my heart if it wasn't meant to manifest. And you have to keep saying it until your body starts to accept and believe it. Because the science of the mind is really what you have control of. You can't control how other people view you, you can't control the nose and the rejection, but what you can control is how you think about it and how you come into the next day. And that doesn't mean I'm not I mean I am kind of try hockey, But I don't mean that in the oh that sounds so good. I mean in the actual conditioning of one's mind to accept that this was placed on your heart because it was meant to manifest and believe And until you can condition yourself to believe it and feel it, just keep telling yourself.
Speaker 1: It there was never a point you wanted to give up.
Speaker 2: There wasn't a point that I wanted to give up, but there was definitely many points where I needed confirmation that I was on the right path.
Speaker 1: How did you get that?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you I was bartending. Most people know. I mean, I mean, come on, can you imagine me with my people's okay? And I had like I did a Martine shake. She made money. I don't drink. I do not like the taste of alcohol, but I can make it. Oh, come on, skin, thank you, thank you. And so when I was bartending, I would change my clothes. I would go to auditions, I come back. I bartend, you know, And then I would not get the part. And then I would be crying in the car and I'd be like, oh God, give me a sign. Oh I don't know. And I would book a commercial and sure it would be like adopt a proper commercial where they just skimmed over my face. But I booked a commercial and every time it would be something like that, or I would get one line on something or five lines on something. So it's like these little wins in the process of rejection that kept me knowing, Okay, I'm on the right path.
Speaker 1: And I always say, if you're open to looking for the signs, they're there. Absolutely, they're there. You just have to be to seeing them.
Speaker 2: Absolutely and I and that goes for everyone. You don't have to be spiritual I am, but you don't have to be. You just got to be open and willing and also willing to accept your dream. You accept it. Yeah, yes, this is my dream. I dreamed it for a reason.
Speaker 1: Except yes, look at me.
Speaker 2: What's your crazy eye?
Speaker 1: I can't put sunglasses on it? No, no, no, no, we're not. You're getting be flustered now and then.
Speaker 2: Look out cuture and then you got all red in the cheeks. I wish everyone could wait. Are they going to go back and see this?
Speaker 1: Can we zoom into the whole video? We don't need a zoom.
Speaker 2: Zooming?
Speaker 1: No zooming zoom. My god, you werelax all right.
Speaker 2: See if I was shooting you right now, I would go right in.
Speaker 1: The slow slow the cinematographer. Director.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you don't do your hands like this, you're not a real director. Director.
Speaker 1: I see you, I see you. You will be directing, thank you. I know you're going to be doing it all. Was there a role that we would be surprised to know you auditioned for and really wanted that didn't work.
Speaker 2: Out there, I'm true blood. Truelo crushed me, really crushed me.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Oh when it was one of those roles that I knew, I was, uh, Tara, I think, what's the name or they're on the shut m. Yeah, it would have been the vampire and it was the friend and she's bartender. And went to the person that it was absolutely yeah, that the redhead, but she had a friend, Okay, okay, was it Retina Wesley? That anyway, anyway, you'll see you'll see even some similarities with us when I tell you that I'd psyched myself up so much that this was my role and I went in and I bombed the audition. I was devastated, because sure, you can get another opportunity, but once you've made that impression, it's very hard to come back. And I knew I could do it. I knew I could and I lost it. But I was maybe six months to a year later that I booked Shameless.
Speaker 1: See that, see that and the wild adventure you went on with that show. Never could have been.
Speaker 2: Never could have been Veronica in her boobs out and up to the sky. You know, all of those things would have not happened. And if I didn't take that l for True Blood and even if you look at the British version of Shameless, Veronica is a blonde hair, short hair. You know, girl looks nothing like me. Let's just say, but that was the role I was meant to have and that's what my dream was manifesting. It wasn't True bloods it was Shameless all along. But you can't listen now, doesn't that sound beautiful? All that was so flowery? Now when you're in it and you just bomb, you just embarrassed and crying and you know those tears it usually happens when you suffer from a bad breakup and you're throwing up and you like made yourself so sick and you're you know those kind of that was me, you know, making yourself sick in the toy those for real, the hitting of the staring wheel. It sounds so dramatic right now, but we've all done it where it's like no, and then playing the song or repeat because I deserve to just cry. You know, it's heartbreaking, it's so heartbreaking. I pulled over on the side of the road. I always remember this when I left that all edition and I just bawled and I called my manager, who's still I call her my Fraen Maager friend, family manager, still my manager to this day. And I was like, I just blew my career. That was my role.
Speaker 1: That was my role, Honey, look at where you are.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: And it's hard to imagine anyone else in that role. You know what it really is for you? It was it really was just like this role, just like Found. I mean, it's it's such a fresh show. And I think Primetime, you know, Primetime has a ferocious audience.
Speaker 2: It's so hard, it's so hard to get him to stick. I've not done network TV. This is a whole different beast for me. I'm coming from the streaming you say, whatever world, you know what I mean, what did we say? I was Roden, Steve Howie put a dildel. That's the world I came from. And now I'm on network TV doing cold gay commercials. You know, so the audience you have to retain it. And what I think has worked for Found and what I appreciate about it is it does what NBC does so well procedural, but it's I called it, call it a heightened procedural because it gives you the thriller to be able to get the audience to want to come back and want more, and not just the standard procedural, but for those who love it, you get to solve a case every week. But then there's this other element that feels like a whole other show within a show. Yeah, and so I'm really proud of us being able to find that balance and really find an audience to appreciate that balance.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. That's why I'm we're waiting on the final the results of a new season because we want it. So call the powers f and make it happen.
Speaker 2: I mean, I went, Meg, can you make a call? There?
Speaker 1: We go, bring it home, Meg, bring it home, bring it home. Well, we have covered dil Do's, Yeah, we have. We've covered leaving our home because I've got.
Speaker 2: More on that topic.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you do.
Speaker 2: Look at Meg mag Is.
Speaker 1: Like, no, I'm sure you have more on that, Like, we are done. We are done. We've talked about leaving our husbands, yes, we've talked about having kids together.
Speaker 2: I'm not just leaving our husband for one another I mean it's got to be worth it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, come on now, nobody just out in the streets, no kids together too. So we've covered it all. But now I have a question for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's based off the title of my show, and the show is obviously called I've Never said this before, And it was born because I cover a lot of red carpets. I also work on a show called Extra, and I do jun kets and on.
Speaker 2: A show called Extra that hasn't been around for like thirty years.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't want to presume just subtle flex you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I picked it up home.
Speaker 1: There you go, and I get such limited time with people, And that's how the concept for this show was born is I often saw people wanting to say something a little bit more before getting cut off or not just having the same sound bites of what is your project about, what are you excited for? You know, the usual? And I thought, let me create a space where we can celebrate the work, but then have someone come on and say whatever they want to say that they don't get the chance to say. So, what is one thing you've never said before that you want to share today?
Speaker 2: Okay, one thing I've never said before. But it can be about just something. I just never hear.
Speaker 1: You want whatever it means to you, you.
Speaker 2: Know when Okay, you know what I've never ever said in my life is I hate someone Like I've never said that. I just hate just feels so strong now. I have strongly despised, right.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I have people that could get it, you know what I mean. And I got a couple that just ran through my head. But I've never ever said I hate that person, like behind their backs or to them. I've just never I've never been hateful in that way.
Speaker 1: Have you ever said I hate I don't think so, not about a person, maybe about like I hate that song, yeah, yeah no, but.
Speaker 2: Like to a part like a humans couldn't Yeah no.
Speaker 1: And I don't like that word. I really don't like that word. I mean maybe when I was younger I used it somehow, but I don't. I'm like you, I think in the sense that I'm very energy driven and I think what you put out is what you get, and I don't like that around me. I don't like it. Even like we have a friend right now that we're kind of going through a little thing with Yeah, And I just rather I rather not go to those dark places, sure, and just kind of cleanse Yeah, goodbye, because it's not worth it because guess what, it affects you. Absolutely, it affects you. You're putting that out, but it's actually coming back to you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and I believe that. So I think that's one thing I've never said. I also have never said that I'm a fifteen. I usually say ten.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you're a twenty. I think you're twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: So you had to catch that. You had to catch it. Just kidding out, Uh, but yeah, I think that. Yeah. I love that you have this platform where you can dig a little deeper and you're so good.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you?
Speaker 2: Am I allowed to say that on your show? Yeah, we're not zooming in.
Speaker 1: We're not zooming in.
Speaker 3: We are.
Speaker 1: Or not? But no, this is what I love. I love having people like you on who are so accomplished and so good at what you do, and who create art that really makes so many people feel seen and can escape into this world that you create. With everything else going on in our real lives. You create that space for people, and I love having artists like you Wan where we can talk about those projects. But then get to know you more and I think you're You're someone who I predict will be around for decades and decades and decades more.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I know you say that to all of your I do.
Speaker 1: Not play them all back, baby, I do not.
Speaker 2: I do not.
Speaker 1: I am an Italian from Jersey and I call it as it is.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and that means a lot. It really means a lot.
Speaker 1: Thank you well, thank you for hanging. Your show is out now, this is dropping finale weeks, so do miss the finale, y'all.
Speaker 2: Pick up already happened. Thank you so much, NBC.
Speaker 1: Put it out there, put it out there, and please come back.
Speaker 2: I really truly will. Okay, okay, oh no, no, okay, what the folks didn't see? Are we? Are we playing the music out? He did a wink. That's not fair, and he ended it with a nod. I've never said this, befo, I never said this before. What's y'all song? Y'all have a song?
Speaker 1: That's my song?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: All right, all right, I've never said this before. Is hosted by Me Tommy Didario. This podcast is executive produced by Andrew Puglisi at iHeartRadio and by me Tommy with editing by Joshua Colaudney. I've never said this before. It is part of the Elvis Duran podcast network on iHeart Podcasts for more rate, review and subscribe to our show and if you liked this episode, tell your friends. Until next time, I'm Tommy Diderio.