Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We did it. We made it to the final hour on this Meet Friday. Morale is high. Another beautiful day in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh did a wonderful job last night, and the Draft, the NFL did another great job. And you know, now you start to look at these events and you go, Okay, the most important days or days. Super Bowl is obviously number one. You got the playoffs, but you got to stand alone here with three hundred thousand people showing up for the Draft. I don't know what the ratings will be TV wise, and this was a draft that didn't have a lot of buzz to it, but you still had people who showed up. And you got Day two coming up tonight, rounds two and three. In Pittsburgh. It is a Meat Friday. Spiced maple bacon, candy seared Porterhouse steaks with garlic, tallow peach, glazed, grilled bone in pork chops, smoked wag u brisket. Who has it better than we do? No, No, All the meat this week provided by Heartland Steak CEO. Everybody in our audience gets to sample all of the great food whipped up on the rec tech grills. All right, Dylan, what's the poll question for the final hour?
Speaker 3: Quick recap of last hour? Dan, Who's going to have the better career? Ty Simpson or Fernando Mendoza. Mendoza, Okay, for the last hour, we can actually go. I think it's pretty unanimous. The Jets probably cleaned up the most in the first round.
Speaker 2: A great job, and it's rare when we say that about the Jets, but I think they have to look at this is it's not a quick fix. And I think if you can get three starters in the first round with your picks and set yourself up, you know for your quarterback, whether it's next year. I just want to know how long they're giving Aaron Glenn because rough first year, probably having a rough second year, and are you going to give him a third year? But that's always the tricky part when you have a coach who might be in the last year of a make or break situation and then you draft a quarterback with that head coach who is kind of on the hot seat. But I thought the Jets did a nice job. Like if you're a fan base, which fan base feels the best today? I would say I'd start with the Jets because it's rare when we say that they did pretty well. You're able to get a couple of players who are probably going to contribute right away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, PAULI, I would throw out the Cowboys. I think it is Caleb Downs, a safety coach. Saban was gushing about him yesterday and said, this guy's the best player of the draft and most ready for day one and should start day one. I mean, that's not as sexy of a pick as other positions.
Speaker 5: But man, that's a great player.
Speaker 2: And I think the Cowboys did a great job there because he had such a high grade. It's just depending on your position, but he's an impact player. I think that he'll be starter day one and he'll be the leader on that defense. Yes, yes, Dylan.
Speaker 6: The other New York team actually made up pretty good too.
Speaker 3: I think with r VL Reese and that they got themselves a tackle that they needed.
Speaker 6: So New York not bad. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Giants did pretty well. But this is one of those drafts where you go, we got an offensive lineman and you go, oh yay. You know, everybody wants a quarterback, running back, wide receiver, but you win, you win. Now, with your offensive and defensive lines. All of these teams that we talk about. You're high in the draft for a reason, and chances are I can go to your quarterback position and your offensive line. I'm going to start their. Chances are you probably don't have your quarterback and you don't have a great offensive line. Get that offensive line. I mean, that's how the Lions became dangerous. You know, Penny Sewell, like you built the offensive line then. And you know, coach Kauer said this yesterday, he said, when we were when I was in Pittsburgh, we built the team and then found the quarterback. We didn't get the quarterback and then build the team. And if you can do it, that's the direction you need to take. That's the philosophy. Not hey we got this great quarterback, now we're going to be great. It's let's get a good team. The quarterback can make you great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Pauline and I went back and looked at a few past drafts just to see who, like the best receiver was production wise. Now, there were a couple of seasons then Poka Nakua drafted in Round five. He's the best receiver from that draft. I'm and Ross Saint Brown the Delions. He's the best most productive receiver from his draft. I think he was a late second round pick, yes.
Speaker 2: Marvin, Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think it's easy to find little fast guys than it is big fast guys. So when you can get a running back like the Jeremiah Love thing, we all love Jeremiah Love, but I could probably get somebody who's maybe not as good, but he's pretty decent in the fourth or fifth round, a la Isaiah Pacheco from the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Sonny Styles measurable. So he's same height as MEGATRONK. His forty yard dash is the same as Jon Robinson, his broad jump is the same as Julio Jones. You're getting one of those guys who you're going he's not going to have a position like Football's become becoming position lists, just like the NBA for some of these, you know, defensive players, some of your offensive players, like is he really a tight end? Is he really a slot receiver? You know, a true running back defensive player the same way Sonny Styles is just like Junior sayout, Troy Polamalu, just go and make plays. And I think that's what Dave, you know, Bill Cower talked about that. He said, I gave Troy Troy Polamalu earned the right to be able to do what he wanted to do. Junior say, out earned the right to do that. It's rare when you find that, but when you do, you take advantage of that. Kurt Warner said, yesterday, you know him and Charles Woodson were you know, playing mind games. Charles Woodson could do whatever he wanted to do. Kurt Warner had to figure out what he's going to do, and he said that was the great challenge that I had. You get some of these players and you go, I don't want to put him, you know, in this position. I want to let him feel the game, and maybe you have that kind of player.
Speaker 7: Yes, Mark, The issue I have with the Sunny Styles thing is that I saw more highlights from the combine than I did with him at Ohio State and his shoulder pads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said the same thing Ohio State. All these players drafted, but you know they get bounced by Miami or Indiana in the title game and first round they lose, and you go, oh, that's a lot of talent. So it's one of those where the Ohio State can say look at all the players we got drafted. It always goes back to like Kentucky basketball, and you go, man, all those guys got drafted. What was your record this year?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: You know we lost in the second round. So you know that's where I want to know. What is the production there? Yes, Dylan, I.
Speaker 3: Think it's why people are dubious about Ohio State quarterbacks sometimes, like they're throwing to three NFL receivers every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, yeah, Pauli.
Speaker 4: But Ryan Dave Ohiose State was there front and center at the draft last night. Hair nice and dark, ready to go. Oh oh extra dark yesterday.
Speaker 2: A little extra dark on the beard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for the draft. Got to tighten it up.
Speaker 2: His wife said that he doesn't dye his beard.
Speaker 5: She's backing him up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as somebody who dyed his hair. I can tell you know when somebody's dying their hair. But you got to start earlier. Okay, you can't come in like at you know, fifty six years of age and go hi and you go, uh, something's different here. But he denies that, and I'm like, okay, it's Howard Stern denies that he dyes his hair as well. Okay, I'm just saying, as somebody who used to do that, you know, gotta start earlier, gott to throw them all. Well, Marvin, you don't need to worry. Todd, you don't to worry. Dylan.
Speaker 6: Get started or.
Speaker 2: I think it's too late. I think it's I think it's too.
Speaker 6: Can you die the little spot on the top too?
Speaker 2: Okay? I work with somebody who used to get the top the bald spot sprayed. Really, yeah, they had like paint.
Speaker 6: Why is this the first time hearing about this?
Speaker 2: Well, I can't tell you who it was, but they'd get sprayed and.
Speaker 6: I did not know that was all right?
Speaker 2: Maybe, yeah, they have paint for you head paint, yes, yes, and people are fooled by that.
Speaker 9: It looks like hair when someone would just slack their head or paint.
Speaker 6: Well, you're not like a can of the hairspray.
Speaker 2: Well, you're not analt. You're not right up front with them. You're seeing them on TV.
Speaker 6: Don't get close to me.
Speaker 9: Is it better to spray paid yet or wear some kind of horrible to pay? They're both terrible.
Speaker 2: We you don't do either, do not?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 9: I got this nice hat or with my Bronco hat or with the Patrick show hat.
Speaker 4: Yes, I remember you told me about the on air person who did the spray and it's not paint. It's like spray hair nest that goes right here.
Speaker 2: It just kind of fills in. It's like silly string.
Speaker 5: It is like silly string.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yes, mar this is a question for Fritzy.
Speaker 7: Have you ever thought about shaving the sides of your head because right now he's kind of got the Uncle Phil from the Fresh Prince look going on. You get just cut it off all bald a la me.
Speaker 2: I thought I was the Padres mascot guy.
Speaker 11: You do look like.
Speaker 7: We've had this guy.
Speaker 6: And then Charles Bockett comes on the show man he bald. He got to bring it on home whatever he likes to say.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: Dylan's social media referred to you as who you were telling me last night? Oh uh slob No, no, no, no, there's like a character. I mean they did that too, He's a TV character. You told me last night that people say you look like.
Speaker 6: Pablo Escobar from Narcos. Gotten that one before?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, Marvin.
Speaker 7: He was in a shirt and tie once and he looked like Danny DeVito and Matilda that one.
Speaker 3: That one stings.
Speaker 6: I got Sam Bankman freed once?
Speaker 2: Guy? Is that guy like billions of that he defrauded people?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yep, and that's all gone.
Speaker 2: Is he in prison? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think he was in prison.
Speaker 3: With the situation and the Billy McFarlane, I think he was in that one, kind of the chiller one.
Speaker 2: So Billy McFarlane did the fire Firefest gift, but then he got out and he wanted to do Firefest again.
Speaker 3: He's doing it. There's Firefest two, which what could go wrong?
Speaker 2: Nobody? You're right?
Speaker 4: Yes, body, if you scam people and go to jail for Firefest one at your po hearing and your parole hearing, they gotta say no more festivals.
Speaker 5: That's gonna be step one, no more festivals.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 7: Mar Dylan kind of looks like Grandma from the movie Rounders.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I'll take that.
Speaker 2: Am I am?
Speaker 6: I wrong?
Speaker 2: Political?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: He's like a loan shark type guy, a little swarthy.
Speaker 6: Okay, where's a bathroom?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 9: It is nice that we pump each other up and make us feel better about ourselves that much and we walk out of the studio.
Speaker 2: Do you need that?
Speaker 9: There are days where I'm like I've even told Dylan I think I'm having a cute day. I'll say, you'll get buy the time the show's over.
Speaker 2: With the comments you make. I'm looking at myself in the river, your mirror, on the drive home, almost.
Speaker 9: Getting in an accident just second, getting everything about my appearance that is one hundred percent true.
Speaker 6: Todd will come in and say I think I'm having a cut day, and he usually supports me. He's the only one I say.
Speaker 9: He's like, you're having a cut day, and then you start with your comments, and then I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mc dylan is lying to you. I don't lie, he says, he is lying to you. I'll take that.
Speaker 5: If it's like, sincerely, I can believe it.
Speaker 4: You look cute today, Yes, twenty nine, you don't be cute. You want to be called handsome. That would would be what you aspired, you.
Speaker 2: Would think, but for some reason, I'd rather think I like to be cute. I'll take either. Now, about f and hot, you know.
Speaker 9: I had that run briefly and that was the end of that.
Speaker 2: Was back in what nineteen you're nineteen twenty, from like eighty six to early nineties.
Speaker 5: About that you're stretching it.
Speaker 2: Just think no, no, no, he did.
Speaker 9: He did like age from like seventeen to early mid twenties. Yeah, you had him like screw this will working out, and I bring it and give me a kickcat that's what happens.
Speaker 2: But you had the mark ruffalo, you had that look.
Speaker 12: I did.
Speaker 6: I had a nice little run Simon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Simon, that's my only claim to fame.
Speaker 7: That's my story.
Speaker 9: Like I'm nineteen, she's thirty four. This is a wonderful experience.
Speaker 2: And you you. But she had vegetables that she brought.
Speaker 9: Up, like celery and carrots and ranch dressing to her little.
Speaker 6: Sheep, said day condo, and she'd say, sing this song for me.
Speaker 5: This girl is poison, poison.
Speaker 9: She wanted me to sing that Bill Bidevo song. I would say it and then I would get my reward. And I was like, I.
Speaker 2: Was like a trained monkey. Was she Russian?
Speaker 10: She was?
Speaker 2: She was French Israeli, French is Ralely.
Speaker 9: Then she took me to see a movie called Nine and a half Weeks, which was very inappropriate even for nineteen and we went to the back and that's what happened.
Speaker 5: That was the last time Tot had veggies.
Speaker 6: It's nice that she brought crudey tay for you.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, that's right, crudey tae A. Todd called it CRUDEI ta. By the way, PAULI has reminded me the last two hours. Hey, I had a prediction on Wednesday show about the draft. Could you maybe bring that back here? It is Paul with.
Speaker 4: A thirteenth pick, the la Rams will trade well down into the first round and take Ty Simpson out of Alabama.
Speaker 2: Okay, half right, half right. I'm gonna give you. I'm gonna give you a bluep on.
Speaker 6: Take it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give you a bloop on. That good call by you. Nea Maya in California. Good morning, Neamayah.
Speaker 13: Five eight one sixty. I had I had a question regarding the Mike Rabel situation. I just wanted to know what was the difference between Mike Rabel situation and Emai Udoka situation in Boston and what's in the water in Boston. It seems like they just got a whole bunch of cheaters.
Speaker 2: Uh you. May Udoka when he was with the Celtics reportedly was with an employee. Uh so, an HR violation that's why he was fired. Uh, it wasn't a reporter, it was an in house Uh employee. Buddha in San Francisco. Hi, Buddha, welcome back.
Speaker 8: Oh body, Happy meet Friday boys. Let's go Pittsburgh, Dan, real quick, the inn, someone the AA and me needs.
Speaker 14: To know what kind of wines are you rocking on the desk there?
Speaker 2: This is the Clemente Museum and it's engine house number twenty five wines that were dropped off. It's a twenty two cab. And then let's see this is just it says legends on it with your own Bettis And this is a a Merloau, a twenty twenty two Murleau here on the desk that was dropped off. Oh awesome.
Speaker 6: Cool.
Speaker 2: Well, Dn, you guys are.
Speaker 14: In Pittsburgh taking on the draft. And it was Wednesday afternoon and I was busy running around the restaurant and my phone starts buzzing up a storm, and I was like, what's going on? And I have, like, you know, I don't know, eleven different texts messages. You see what I did there, Fritzy.
Speaker 15: But Dan, when Frank Kaledendo mentioned me on.
Speaker 14: The show and I hadn't listened to the entire show.
Speaker 15: Yet, so I didn't know. My phone's blowing up like I'm in a draft.
Speaker 2: Room, war room.
Speaker 15: I got all the acronyms omg lfg LMFAO, and I saw the clip and I was floored and honestly shout out to Frank Caliendo. It made my freaking week.
Speaker 14: Man, such a cool moment, honestly honored. And all I want to know.
Speaker 15: Is, and this Pittsburgh audience could help me. Who's got it better than DC Nation?
Speaker 2: No, Bud, thank you, Thank you Buddha. Again, Frank Callendo did a Buddha impersonation trip in Vegas. Hi trip, Welcome back.
Speaker 6: Hey DP.
Speaker 8: Always good to speak with y'all.
Speaker 12: I was thinking, since y'all are flying out of Pittsburgh today and I'm always hard on Fritzy, So tonight when he has his four hour layover in Las Vegas before he.
Speaker 10: Goes to Connecticut, he wants me to take a dinner.
Speaker 2: At will Watch Alcon. That's a nice gesture.
Speaker 10: Huh.
Speaker 2: You got hung up in a connection the other day coming to Pittsburgh, didn't you.
Speaker 9: Yes, they said there was a squishy wheel. That's exactly what they said, and that's why there was a delay of our flight from Bradley to DC, and I missed my connection. And then the next flight to Pittsburgh wasn't leaving till ten twelve, So I was basically sitting for about four and a half hours in the Washington Dulls Airport, landing like tenfter eleven, checking in at midnight.
Speaker 6: It wasn't a good time.
Speaker 2: But you did go from Connecticut to DC to Jacksonville for Vegas to Vegas.
Speaker 9: Yes, you guys give me a hard time about that.
Speaker 2: Well, not many people take that route to get to Vegas from Connecticut. I look, I must have missed something because everything else in Harblock.
Speaker 9: I didn't want to go through Chicago because that time of the year could get very snowy. So I'm like, I'll go to sunny Jacksonville and go through the Cape of Good Hope and I'll find my way to Vegas.
Speaker 2: The Cape of Good Hope.
Speaker 9: I remember learning that in junior high school.
Speaker 5: Was there a Cape of Good Hope?
Speaker 2: Maybe I made that up? No, No, I think there is not near Vegae. Matt Miller, ESPN Draft Expert, he'll join us coming up and more of your phone calls as well. We'll take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick's Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w app.
Speaker 11: Steck Gots here. I have a podcast empire. It continues to grow, and I have brought it here to iHeart. I'm also doing a live radio show from three to five pm Eastern because my.
Speaker 2: Wife wanted to kick me out of the house.
Speaker 11: It's called Stegots and Company Live, which is available in podcast form right when the show finishes every single day. Some of the biggest names in sports, a lot of phone calls.
Speaker 14: I love you on your show.
Speaker 2: It's one of my favorites.
Speaker 11: A lot of interact shit guys not taking themselves too seriously. Those are just some of the things that you can expect from Stu Gotts and Company and Steve gottson Company Live. So listen to ste Gods and Company Live and our original podcast. Please subscribe, rate and review ste Gods in Company and God Bless Football. Taylor's livelihood depends on it. You do it today and you could check all of those out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: I have not checked on meet Friday normally. I like to inspect and see how you know the dinner lunch is going. I don't know, Maybe send somebody up there. PAULI gets some of our best people to go. I just want to make sure everything's good. Okay, thank you. Seven teams had multiple picks in the first round. Only the twenty twenty two draft had more teams with multiple first round selections. There were nine teams with multiple picks in the first round, and I don't know if it's a good thing or not. I like all the teams to be represented. I think it helps with Draft night. But you know, you're you're kind of rooting for Pittsburgh to get who they want. But then you're like, uh, we got our offensive lineman, and then you got to be excited about it, even though that's the right pick, because there was talk that the Eagles jumped the Steelers to get their wide receiver, and I'm thinking, I don't think the Steelers were interested in a wide receiver. I mean that was just my thought. When you know they were like, oh the Eagles did it to them again. And I go, I don't think so, I didn't get that feeling.
Speaker 4: Yes, Pally, you really want the home team that's hosting the draft to have a pick after fifteen, so the local fans stay for three or four hours?
Speaker 2: All right, eight seven seven three DP show. We'll try to get to a couple more phone calls here. Matt Miller, ESPN NFL Draft Analysts. We always appreciate his insight, and he joins this now, Matt.
Speaker 12: WHOA, I know, I know, I know, okay, whoa.
Speaker 2: We're good, Matt, Matt, big shot god suit and tie on. Looks like you're going to your first communion. You know is prom is probably prom? Yeah?
Speaker 6: No, you know there's this show on TV. I don't if you get Sports Center, I have to go do that from here. I don't know if you've heard of that, Dan.
Speaker 2: I haven't tell me more about Sports Center.
Speaker 6: Sometimes jokes, it's funny.
Speaker 2: How did last night go? Do you think overall as a draft here that we didn't have big names. It wasn't supposed to be sexy, great crowd, A couple of surprises. So if you're ranking drafts first round, where does this one fall in lines? It was fun.
Speaker 6: I still think twenty twenty four. In the fifteen years I've been doing this, twenty twenty four was great because we had quarterbacks at the top and you saw it intrigue. You know, Caleb Williams is this generational prospect. Jayden Daniels was coming off the historic Heisman season, but there was legitimate conversation about Drake May was he going to be good or not? Nicks Michael Pennocks were surprise selections in the top twelve. Last night was a little chalky, right, but there are still some surprises, and I think that adds to it. The backdrop was the best one I've seen so far, So I'll get Pittsburgh a ton of credit for that. The fans record breaking fans. That was great.
Speaker 2: So it's good. Did Jeremiah Love go to the right team? No, not for him, I don't think so.
Speaker 6: I think when you draft a running back early, you're looking at is the team ready for this running back? Do you have a quarterback, you have an offensive line. We're gonna look at what happened to Ashton GenZ. You have a running back, five year rookie wage Still, we know you're gonna have him cost controlled to some degree, but running backs are They're like rental cars. You're gonna have them for a short amount of time, you're gonna have fun with them, and then you're gonna you're gonna move on to something else. So we know running backs have a decline in their careers. Rarely do they perform in their second contract. So if I'm the Cardinals, I'm looking at Jeremiah Love, great player, my top player in the draft, but you're not ready for him. So it might be year two or three, but for you have the infrastructure for him to be productive as productive as he can be. So that would be my concern, Especially if I'm Jeremiah Love today, I'm thinking, oh my gosh, who's There's no quarterback here, There's no right tackle. The wide receiver that was drafted in the top five hasn't been very good. So it's all on me and Trey McBride. That's what they have right now.
Speaker 2: So why did they draft him.
Speaker 6: I've heard a lot of you know, ticket sales, jersey sales. You hear that rumor about the Cardinals, But there's I think there's also the element of you have a new head coach, you have a kind of a lame duck general manager, so the head coach is going to have a lot more push there and they need someone. They need an identity with Trey McBride, so they're probably thinking, we need a hit in this draft. We need someone that we can put our stamp on. I'll never forget when Scott McLuhan, who's been in evaluating the NFL for a long time, he was the general manager in Washington and their first draft. I talked to him, said, what's your philosophy going into the draft? He said, your first pick has to just.
Speaker 5: Be a single.
Speaker 6: It just has to be a hit. And they took Brandon Schurff, a guard from Iowa, at number five.
Speaker 2: Overall.
Speaker 6: It was a hit for ten years. So I think there is sometimes that element of Jeremi Lives a great player, absolutely great player, but you want to make sure that first.
Speaker 2: Pick is a hit. The Rams strategy, I.
Speaker 6: Don't get it. I don't get it at all, and I haven't got to listen to anyone else they have a take on this this morning. I don't understand a team that is that close to the Super Bowl and you have the MVP at quarterback and you have this head coach that's toyed with getting out of coaching to come do our jobs. And you're going to take a six foot one, two hundred and ten pounds quarterback who started fifteen games. That's how you're going to sell to RAMS fans when the Super bowls in your building. That's how you're selling RAMS fans that you're going to get over Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago, potentially all the teams in the NFC's that's your sell is we'll draft a backup quarterback at thirteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could be the right player, but at the wrong time. That's what I keep saying. And I had Lewis Riddick on earlier. I said this felt like let's Need being the GM is saying this is for me as I stay in this job, not you. Sean McVay that you might be in this job two more years and go into TV.
Speaker 6: I agree with that completely. And you're gonna hear all week now because everyone saw that awkward press conference. You're gonna hear that McVeigh loved Ty Simpson. This really feels like you hired the family friend.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: Less Sneed and Ty Simpson's dad are pals, and when Ty Simpson was trying to decide what he was going to do. And for folks that don't notice, Alabama didn't want Ty Simpson back if he stayed in college football. He was going to Miami. Alabama was sending him on his way. So when they pulled people what should we do or should we do? Les Need said, oh, he'll be a first round pick. Well, like, now you have to take him.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: If you've told the dad he'll be a first round pick, don't you have to take him? Otherwise you've lied to your buddy about his son's future and maybe cost him six million dollars on a Heisman trophy at Miami.
Speaker 2: But that's not a binding contract of Sam. I think it'll be a first round pick. Yeah. It's kind of like Carson back at Georgia, where Georgia was like, you know what, we're moving on, so you should move on as well, and to Miami. And when you think about six and a half million dollars to stay in college and the number of players and quarterbacks staying in college because we had one real legitimate quarterback in this year's draft, yeah, which seems impossible for the most important position in any sport.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I stayed in college too long for free, so it's hard for me to imagine these guys. They are like, turn it down six and a half million to just hang out. But it will be interesting to see what happens today because we had two quarterbacks come off the board. Simpson was a surprise that early. And if you're the Arizona Cardinals, we were talking with them of Jeremiah Love. You backed yourself into this corner that almost felt inevitable that you would get Simpson, whether that was at thirty four or with the trade up. He's off the board to a division rival. What are you going to do now? Do you called you kolbe Brisett this morning and say, hey, never mind, here's the pay raise you wanted, because you really have very few options. But they could be a team that Texas quarterback early tonight and it might be Carson Back. There's been a lot of heat that he's there guy.
Speaker 2: I like what the Cowboys did. When you find that guy and you say that's our guy, and you got you know, when Sabin has nothing bad to say about you, which is pretty hard to find. They found a football player. And I think that the Cowboys and it'll probably be the face of that defense.
Speaker 6: You know, it's funny. We all we all get off jokes about the Cowboys about you know, the being impulsive and they want to build fantasy football teams. They draft really well, and it's usually offensive lineman defensive lineman that they do draft well. So I will applaud the you know, to resist the temptation to draft a receiver. With George Pickens signing his franchise tag, I think Downs is, pound for pound, the second best player in the draft behind Jeremiah Love.
Speaker 2: And to your point, you're getting.
Speaker 6: A football player who as a true freshman started for Nick Saban, who is the greatest defensive backs coach in the history of defensive backs. He wins the national championship for you, then he goes to Ohio State wins the national championship for them, three time All American. He can do anything you want from the safety position, and so yeah, that's a great pick for Dallas. Malachi Lawrence was a little bit of a surprise, but I think the idea to move back and take him, when you factor in the trade, then it makes more sense. And they need speed with the move to a three four defense, they need speed rushers. And that's who he is.
Speaker 2: I know, we talk about the running back position devalued, what about the middle linebacker? It feels like, you know, Jack Campbell is the last of an era of drafting a middle linebacker.
Speaker 6: Well, but the Jets kind of did it last night, or excuse me not the Jets. I think we saw the Giants do it at five with Rville Reese. They're gonna play him on the inside to start, or they have to because they have Brian Burns, they have Abdual Carter they drafted last year. They have Kevon Thibodeaux who has one year left on a rookie deal. So if you're gonna draft Rville Reese at five, where.
Speaker 2: You gonna put him?
Speaker 6: And so I think next to Tremaine Edmonds getting back to some of what he did at Ohio State is probably where you use him. And then we see Sunny Styles go really soon after that. So hope, my hope is that we get away from positional value. I think so often we forget to just talk about who's a good football player because we talk about the economics of the position. I guarantee, if Sunny Styles becomes Fred Warner, no one will care how much money he made in his rookie year, No one will be talking about the economics of a linebacker if he plays up to that potentials and all pro.
Speaker 2: Talking to Matt Miller, NFL draft analyst for the Mothership, we always love the following year's draft for quarterbacks. Yeah, it's always that all No, next year is going to be unbelievable. Can you say that honestly that, oh boy, next year's draft quarterback wise is going to be great.
Speaker 6: I think you can. And here's why. A lot of times when we do that, we're projecting. We're talking about if this happens and that happens, then this player will be a first round pick, like with Garrett nus Meyer, Carson Beck, Lenora Sellers. We did that a year ago. This year, what's different is if Arch Manning had entered this draft, he would have been a number one overall pick. If Dante Moore had entered this draft, he would have been the number two overall pick. So those players have already proven their status, so barring an injury or a complete drop off, they will still be picked very early next year. And then you have players like CJ. Cart Notre Dame that a lot of scouts are excited about Brendan So who's now at Texas Tech from Cincinnati. Scouts are very excited about. So there's there's a long list next year. That also makes it more likely that we could have a twenty twenty four draft with five quarterbacks in the first round.
Speaker 2: But if you're looking at those teams next year, is Pittsburgh gonna be on the clock. Yeah, as far as taking a quarterback, they should be, right, The Dolphins, Dolphins should be.
Speaker 6: We have the Panthers and Texans are sneaky teams as well because their quarterbacks are playing out fifth year options. So there's there's some options there. I think Miami could absolutely be in the mix. And then there's always the surprise teams. You know, the Atlanta Falcons could be back in that next again right, sorry, I mean.
Speaker 2: But that they could be.
Speaker 6: Okay, Pennix hasn't been that guy more.
Speaker 2: Likely to extend Carolina with Bryce Young or Texan CJ. Stroud.
Speaker 6: I think Texans CJ. Stroud just the success that they've had when a guy makes the playoffs every year.
Speaker 2: But why not now since Will Anderson, I just got it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you pay good players early. The price only goes up. They only get more expensive. As the salary cap goes up, the demand goes up, and the percentage probably stays close to the same. But I think you want to keep your franchise quarterback happy to some degree. And I don't think they've done him a lot of favors with their offensive line. There's a lot of CJ. Stroud hate online. I don't know that he's had the best help around him. Nico Collins has been injured. So I think you make the move early.
Speaker 2: What teams draft poorly? Oh the Browns, I.
Speaker 6: Mean, And I'm not just playing to the crowd here, the Browns.
Speaker 2: It's just the b and I was.
Speaker 6: I think the Browns drafted poorly last night. We get so caught up and oh, I'm glad they trade it back to get this guy instead because they got an extra draft pick. You're the Browns. You don't draft well. Extra draft picks.
Speaker 2: Aren't good for you.
Speaker 6: So the Spencer Fano is a very good player, and he's gonna shore up one.
Speaker 2: Spot on their offensive line.
Speaker 6: I'm not a fan of Casey conception in as early as they took him. I think small receivers who have drop issues are probably not gonna play well in the AFC North. That would be my number one concern with a player like that, So don't. I don't think the Browns draft particularly well. And that's not me being a hater. That's twenty seven years now of data that says they don't. I don't think the Jets particularly do. But I thought they did last night because they didn't panic, they didn't reach for a quarterback, they didn't overthink it. They got a great player David Bailey, a world class tight end in Kenyon Sidek and then one of my favorite players, Omar Cooper Junior. So they're, like we talked about Arizona, the Jets are actually building that infrastructure so that when they have those three first round picks next year, they can add the quarterback in.
Speaker 2: Be honest, do you think you could run the Browns better than the Browns are being run?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't, Okay, I would like to try.
Speaker 6: It'd be fun, right, I might get a chance, right, general managers make good money. I wouldn't say no to that opportunity. But that's not what I do, right. I watch football and I make jokes on on TV like it's very different than I evaluated four hundred and eighty three players this year, and if I'm wrong about them, I don't get fired. So that's the difference. Andrew Barry, he's wrong, his family's looking for a new house, he's got fifty people that work under him, get fired. You know, I've been wrong a lot in this job, and I can just laugh at all.
Speaker 2: Give me the most interesting player drafted tonight.
Speaker 6: I do think it will be Carson Beck, just because that conversation of three years ago at Georgia his first year as a starter. We thought, my gosh, this guy's gonna be a future number one overall pick. And then it just he declines that he loses brock Bauers loses Lad McConkey didn't seem like himself at all. Has the UCL injury and he was kind of written off. Goes to Miami and just gets better week after week, takes them to a national championship game. And yet the defense had a lot to do with that as well. But in the last three months, every scout I've talked to Raves about the football IQ, the leadership, the maturity that he's shown over the past couple of years. So where that Domino falls tonight, I think is hugely important.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was just never on the bandwagon. I always thought that he was a product of his environment. You're on Georgia, and Georgia's, you know, usually the most talented team in America. Good Miami's defense was maybe the defense, second best defense. We saw. One of his best throws was you know, the game against Notre Dame that probably should have been intercepted. So I don't know.
Speaker 6: I just I didn't rank him highly.
Speaker 2: I had a fourth round grade on him.
Speaker 6: So I'm not selling Carson back to you as he should go thirty four. I promise I don't have him that high. But I think that's where that is what makes the draft interesting is when you get those reaches like the Vikings taking Caleb Banks. I didn't have him my top fifty players. I don't know very many people who did. That's I think those are the narratives that kind of make the draft fun. Is it's it's one of the rare times that we go against the NFL, or go against the general manager and say no, no, no, I'm I'm right, you're wrong, and we'll see how it plays out.
Speaker 2: It's almost like Carson beck is playing a quarterback in a movie about a quarterback.
Speaker 6: I mean it'd be a good story, right.
Speaker 2: You know, he dated the basketball player. He's got tattoos, and he's got the sports car.
Speaker 6: He meany hair slick like he's Did anyone go to his birthday party? Is that you're getting that? Yes, that's so we're wondering. Yes, yeah, the Cavender twins probably did.
Speaker 2: No, No, they didn't.
Speaker 6: Did they break up? Yeah, that's see I get watching football. I he wasn't dating both of the twins, right, that would be that would.
Speaker 2: Be yes, that would be great. I've seen that movie before. Matt is great to see. Likewise, thanks for getting dressed up. Yeah, you know, just for the show, right.
Speaker 6: Just for you. Next year, I'll hoodie and joggers.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that he's Matt Miller ESPN NFL Draft Analyst.
Speaker 1: Will take a break back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Final results of the pole question. By the way, we went up and had whatever that tallow butter garlic something I don't know what it is, but might have changed my life.
Speaker 8: There.
Speaker 5: It's like beef fat renderings.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, trimmings from that brisket rendered it with garlic.
Speaker 6: It's pretty nuts.
Speaker 2: Damn it's great. All right?
Speaker 6: Final results?
Speaker 3: Yeah, which fan base is feeling the best today? I went Jets, Cowboys, Giants or other? Thirty percent say the Cowboys.
Speaker 6: I would have gone.
Speaker 2: Jets, but I would have gone Jets too. Maybe we just don't trust the Jets even when they get it right. We're not quite sure.
Speaker 3: I'm number one Jets hater. I think they can't do anything right. But that was you know, maybe they proved me wrong last night.
Speaker 2: Okay, any other poll questions that we had?
Speaker 3: Seventy five percent people think Fernando Mendoza is going to have the better career over Ty Simpson, and actually seventy percent when you go in for a handshake, they're doing a classic handshake.
Speaker 5: Yes, I had one more poll.
Speaker 4: Dylan and I were thinking about would you rather host the super Bowl or the Draft? Is it obvious that's the super Bowl because the Draft brings out a lot of folks a couple day affair, good time of year of the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, if you ask Buffalo, would you rather host the super Bowl or the Draft? There, like there's certain franchises they go, you know, we'll host the draft, yes, huh.
Speaker 9: And you can make the argument the Draft is like in every man and woman's event as opposed to super Bowl with all the sponsors and people that have all the money that people don't have to go to the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: That is true. Mike in La, Hi, Mike, what's on your mind today? Hey?
Speaker 16: Guys, I know you were talking for a while about a name for the Las Vegas team.
Speaker 6: What do you think about the Vandals?
Speaker 2: The Vandals for the Vegas NBA team?
Speaker 15: Uh?
Speaker 2: Sure, we'll put it on the list. I still like the Vegas Diamonds. I think that makes the most sense. But thank you for the phone call. Rick in New York, Hi, Rick, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Hey?
Speaker 10: Hey, how do you meet Friday Fellas?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 10: I was listening to your call the other day with Fernando Mendoza and it was phenomenal And at the end of it, you guys called them a nerd. I started laughing hysterically because all of us know the movie Grease, correct, Yeah, everyone knows the movie Grease. Yeah, if you look at watch the movie Grease and look at Eugene Sellsnick, Eugene Sellsnick in Greece looks just like Fernando Mendoza. I mean, the guy is gonna be a phenomenal quarterback with a tremendous career. But I think he might have already had a career in the movie Grease as Eugene.
Speaker 2: All right, well, thank you, Rick, Do you have the picture?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm looking at Eugene Felsnick from Grease. He wasn't six four two twenty five and he had no accuracy.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 5: Uh nobody breaks down the drug.
Speaker 2: No, no, I know. I didn't think I would get a Grease reference there with Fernando Mendoza Sellsnick. Todd. You were a big Grease fan.
Speaker 6: I love the movie Grease.
Speaker 2: Well, you love Olivia Newton John.
Speaker 9: I had a crush on Olivia Newton John and I would singing the Grease Lightning song and I do a little show for the fan.
Speaker 2: I don't want you to say, just that's nice to know that you do have that in your repidauty school dropout. Uh.
Speaker 7: I'm just laughing at Fritzy today.
Speaker 6: You love that.
Speaker 9: Frankie Valley beauty, Frankie Avalon beauty school, Frankie Vaalisung No no, no, no, no, no, no, yes.
Speaker 7: Yes, Greece felt like high school for everybody. Pregnancy scares, illegal street racing, and gang violence.
Speaker 6: Wasn't it every high school?
Speaker 2: Not in my high school? Yeah, you had to be close to a girl to have a pregnancy scare. Just let you know. Sorry. Yeah, and I didn't have a car, and you over too. I was gang violence, gang violence. I wasn't in a gang, so no, you couldn't get in. I got I was over for three. Oh you couldn't go to ride out high No, no, no, I could not. Let's see uh Aiden in Utah Hi Aiden, welcome back.
Speaker 16: Yeah, come on and dan oh, I'm so grateful that the NFL Draft is in April, because you know, it's kind of a slow time. He has not lost forks to talk about besides, like the NBA playoffs, the NHL playoffs, speaking of Pittsburgh Penguin's doing. But yeah, I'm glad you get talked about ty cmpsis when at my standard siting.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay, sorry wow, hey. Yeah, it's like the guy who said Oh, why don't you talk about the Pistons. Why don't you talk about the Pistons. I don't have to. It's round one. You're playing Orlando, for God's sakes, you know I'm playing the eighty six Celtics. I wanted to thank Penske, Dude, Wives, Rectech, Panini, Miller Lite. Who else am I leaving a liberty liberty liberty mutual? Who else am I leaving out here? You got them? Like did I? Okay? Hopefully got everybody there. Heartland Steak all the great meat that they provide for our meat. Friday big German did an unbelievable job. He created all of this. Jay is Brother, they drove the TV truck. Jade who helped us with all of the sponsors, all of the camera crew. You don't get to see them. They're professional, they're they're with us, They've been with us for decades. And that's what makes this so great. It's one big family. It's a traveling circus. Thank you to all of you people who helped us behind the scenes, and of course the distillery complex here in Pittsburgh. Todd, what did you learn today?
Speaker 9: Lewis Rigg brought the leather jacket he worked to the show at the Newark Airport still wasn't.
Speaker 2: Even opening yet. What did I learn today?
Speaker 9: Todd Lewis Riddig again calls the draft of Risk Assessment Exercise GM to held accountable if the measurable said not to take a play at.
Speaker 2: That we learned brought to you by z Kleiner, engineered for Rest will Sleep. Visit zkliner dot com slash Dan Patrick find a z Kliner at a store near you. Thank you again to the great city of Pittsburgh, to this wonderful audience. We'll talk to you on Monday.