Speaker 1: Episode three h five Intentional strategies to increase your income with Rich Jones. Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast, where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity, and live your.
Speaker 2: Life here your hosts Jen and Jill.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast.
Speaker 2: My name is Jen, my name is Jell.
Speaker 1: And in the lead up to my eventual maternity leave, we have another summit interview for you, and this was personally my favorite.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have to agree it was the longest.
Speaker 1: If you were with us at our Future of Frugal summit in twenty twenty one, then you may have heard this one. If not, then you have never heard this interview before. And that's a sh shame because Rich Jones, he is a good friend of ours. He works for Google, and he is a master at just strategizing on how to either work up the ladder where you are, increase your income go elsewhere. Is a very good interview.
Speaker 2: I still reference this interview and some of my takeaways. I think we've talked about it honestly in other podcasts, but even in my own personal conversations with people. He gives such great tips and insights that I have carried with me over the last two years, so I'm really excited to allow this interview to live on more fully. It's just been hidden in our computers since the summit, and now to be able to have it be a part of our playlist is so excellent and we all love it.
Speaker 1: Yes, but first, this episode has brought to you by having the receipts, not the tiny book in your purse shows where all your money is going, but having proof or evidence of your work. After listening to this episode, receipts will have a whole new meaning to you. But if you're currently stuck with a bunch of shopping receipts, then check out air free three day spending Makeover. It is a total makeover for your money and will help you get better with your finances. So your receipts are proof of your accomplishments and not your expenses. Start your spending makeover right now at Frugal Friends podcast dot com slash makeover.
Speaker 2: Ooh, what a great tie in. So now before we get into it, though, she'll be you a Friday, I do. I'm so excited for you all, But if you want other episodes to queue up, you know we've got more because we're at episode three oh five, But check out episode two seventy eight, which is Frugal part of our Frugal Side Hustle series where we talk with someone from Salesforce. Kind of gives an overview of that opportunity if you are looking to increase your income. That's a great one to check out. Also, episode two sixty three, how to Negotiate a higher salary in any Field with Mandy Woodruff Santos really really another excellent, excellent one.
Speaker 1: I would say these two pair best together. Yes to sixty three with Mandy and then three oh five with Rich, these are really good ones to play back.
Speaker 2: Many challenged me in some of my solidified belief systems about who a salary increases are available to and who they're not, and she just says everybody. They're available to everybody. So even if you're a teacher, even if you're a social worker, check that one out. It's challenging in a really good way. Episode two sixty three. But for right now, we got Rich Jones.
Speaker 1: Yes he is again a good friend host of the Mental Wealth Show, and we're excited to show him off to you.
Speaker 3: Rich, Thank you so much for joining us on the Future of Frugal Summit.
Speaker 2: We're excited to have you.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you having me.
Speaker 2: So excited to talk about this, and I think it's applicable to pretty much everyone that is an adult or heading towards adulthood. So hopefully, Yeah, this is great.
Speaker 4: I mean, at some point it's got to be applicable unless you never have to work, and then in general, people always have to negotiate. There's always something to negotiate for, and there's always a reason to kind of see the value and the worth of what you do. That's something that you should always have in mind. So yeah, it does apply to everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, agreed. So rich For those who don't know about you and paychecks and balances, tell us a little bit about your background and your experience hiring and negotiating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so day, I work at Google in diversity, equity and Inclusion. I've been in this role that I'm in now for about a month and a half and it kind of speaks to some of the work that I've done over the past years in terms of being able to make career pivots. Prior to this role, the past decade of my career, maybe even a little bit more than that was spent working in the staffing and recruiting world. We're both as a headhunter for a staffing agency and then as an in house or internal recruiter for large corporate companies and even smaller tech startups. So I've been in staffing recruiting HR really since twenty ten, and I've been building things online since two thousand and eight, including a couple of award winning blogs that people don't know about. That's what some of these awards are in the background. And then I started podcasting in twenty thirteen because I was trying to find content that spoke to me, and a lot of the personal finance content at the time it felt like it was either boring or I saw the same face of the older white gent I saw the same face of the older white gentleman in a suit, and that was kind of the face of personal finance at the time in twenty thirteen, and so I really wanted to create what I couldn't find, and that kind of led to the first podcast. But that podcast talked about everything under the sun. And then in twenty sixteen, we did the whole niche thing down and rebranded, and that's when paychecks and balances, was officially bored, and so getting ready to start a new season of the podcast, which is pretty awesome, have a lot of exciting guests that are lined up, and yeah, really love sharing my experience with working in the professional world, but also how good career decisions lead to good financial outcomes. So how do we bridge the gap between the conversations that are having around money and also the conversations that are happening around work.
Speaker 2: You are doing so much, You're like by day much by afternoon and by evening.
Speaker 4: It's a lot. And it is something that I had to step back from and create more space for myself because previously I was a weekly podcaster and then I went to bi weekly in September until basically around the time that we're recording this, and I'm getting ready to go back to a weekly schedule. And I just mentioned that because when I went to bi weekly, it was to create space and understand like, Okay, now I'm doing this alone. Do I have enough time for this? Am I giving myself space to recharge? Am I able to do the level of research and thorough pre show prep to ensure that I do each guest justice? Oh that was a hard couple of words together. So it's going to be more work going forward. But I think what's also been helpful is hiring a team and being in a place with the business side of things to where I can say I don't need to be up all night. I could afford to hire someone to do some of these tasks, especially when I'm at work during the day, which is really difficult and challenging, and so I've been fortunate enough to get to a place where I can afford to pay a few people to help out. So three freelancers to virtual assistants, and I'll probably be hiring more people in the next few months.
Speaker 5: Wow, you are an inspiration to me in hiring for sure, which is fitting given the conversation that we're going to have, because even something like writing the job description for a freelance writer, like most people wouldn't enjoy that type of stuff, but since it's writing my wheelhouse, I've written tons of job descriptions.
Speaker 4: I know how to make them engaging. I know exactly what I want. It's kind of like getting to practice some of my day job responsibilities in the side hustle world and vice versa. But yeah, yeah, the hiring is Oh, I made my life so much better just getting a few more folks on board to help with the writing, because y'all know, I mean, it's a lot of work when you're creating content, plus you're running the business, so you know, you're writing, you're podcasting, you're you're videoing your tiktoking your YouTube and your story and you're doing kids, family, all these other things that are going on. It's really difficult, and I find sometimes the only way to be able to manage it all is to contract some of that out, even hiring a house cleaner. Some people think of house cleaners as like this, like bougie thing. I'm like, no, this saves hours per week. Same thing with meal delivery services, like oh, that's like fans. No, this is getting me time back. So I will spend a little money in interest of getting back time because frugality for me is spending less on the things I don't care about and more on the things that are important to me.
Speaker 2: So I think I just defined it. We one hundred percent I agree with that, and we're really thrilled to be having this conversation with you about hiring negotiating salaries because I think all of this does converge, especially for those with busy schedules, which I don't think I know anybody who is not busy or wouldn't describe themselves in that way. And so this is a really important key factor to that is making sure that you are getting the most you can out of the time that you have. And thrilled to hear rich about your role in looking at diversity, equity and inclusion. I think that that absolutely dies into what we're talking about here and the people who are experiencing barriers to increasing salary or negotiating those pieces, whether internally or externally, And so thrilled to hear your perspective on this today, and for starters, I think we're curious to hear from your own perspective and experience what you see when it comes to resumes, interviewing, negotiating salaries. Is there a difference between men and women. We can even talk about culturally too, however you want to angle that one. But curious what you even see just as far as barriers in these different categories A.
Speaker 4: Lot, I just say a lot. It's particularly interesting because the world that I'm in now, it's focused on retention and progression. So folks who are at a crossroad, they might be struggling with the challenge internally, they might have an issue with their manager, and a lot of that is coaching and supporting them through the next step of their journey. And the reason that I said a lot and this isn't just specific to where I work, but in general, so one, there's just a lot of bad managers that are out there. In general, I think that there are a lot of people who become managers just as a step along their career path. They actually don't have a desire to manage people. They just see that as a box that they need to check to get into whatever leadership position it is that they ultimately want to be in. And as a result, those people who they actually manage suffer because maybe this person doesn't have a high emotional intelligence, Maybe this person doesn't know how to help somebody identify their professional goals. I don't expect a manager at work to be able to help you define your personal values, but I do believe a manager should be able to coach and should be able to get you to think and have some of these conversations where you arrive at details that are critically important to you. I don't think most folks actually do the work of sitting down and defining their values. And so what I see in the workplace is a lot of bad management. And then I say that even from having had multiple managers over the course of my career, and I'd like to think that I've been a good manager, but no, I have been a good manager. Darned. People have told me enough that I have been a good manager. And what makes it tricky with men and women is that corporate America, it's a very just like vocal culture, it's very friendly to extroverts, where the louder you are, you know, the whole what's that's saying, like the squeaky wheel gets degrees or whatever. And what's interesting when it comes to getting raises and promotions at work, that requires you to advocate for yourself at a certain level, because it is not your manager's job to track your accomplishments. It is your own. And I think what happens a lot of times is people expect that their manager is keeping track of everything that they've done throughout the year, and then when it comes time for a performance review conversation and the rating isn't where they thought it would be. They're surprised, and now they're upset with their manager, and now they have all of these questions. But the manager has a million things going on in their lives. A manager has all these meetings and other responsibilities. And I've noticed that when it comes to advocating for self that it does require I'd say that it does require a bit moreof for women. And I do think that there are some like gender and social dynamics that I think are at play there where sometimes people don't want to come up is come off as being like two opinionated, or or come off as being difficult in some of those stereotypes that have traditionally been at least associated with women in the workplace, like oh, she's uh, what's the what's the phrase they always say about women who have strong opinions. It's like one of those coded words like oh, she's.
Speaker 2: Uh, opinionated is definitely one they call little girls bossy.
Speaker 4: Difficult, yeah yep, yeah, so so stuff like that and uh. And the way that that shows off shows up in the workplace is you get people who don't speak up about their accomplishments. They think that just doing their work and getting it done will speak for itself, whereas uh, in many cases it actually requires you to speak up and advocate and say, hey, here's what I'm working on, be more vocal in meetings, things like things like that. But then it also requires you to actually like write down what you're doing throughout the year so that when it comes time for these performance review conversations, you've already got the receipts. And I have found that that men, for whatever reasons, tend to be more frequent at advocating for themselves and keeping track of everything. I'm sure there's some privileged stuff that's within there as well, whereas women aren't as quick to advocate. And also I found that women and even underrepresented minority groups will look at a they'll look at a job description and they will self select and not apply for certain roles because they don't have every skill, whereas other groups will see that they don't have everything and apply anyway. So sometimes based on gender and other factors, people actually block their own blessings because they'll they'll look and say I don't have everything when they should have just applied. And there has been research to show that women will often filter themselves out more than men who will just go full steam ahead and then apply for the same role.
Speaker 2: My husband is head of a department at his work, and he's hiring right now, and he's going through something like three hundred applications, and he says, to an extreme percentage, men are asking for so much more money than the women are asking for even at the even at the start of the application process. And so I think even some of what you're saying is the internal things that are happening inside of some of our minds, whether it's an introverted extroverted thing, or it's a minority group thing, or it's a gender thing like and it's probably it's probably all of it collectively. It's not like one thing that we can hang our hat on and say that's it. But there are some of these barriers that happen just inside of our head that say, no, that's not for me. And you even alluded to this rich like personal finance looked like a well dressed white man, and so just that, like the imagery that comes to mind already kind of predisposes us to maybe not negotiating or not thinking that I should keep a record of all the good things that I've done and present it to somebody like I get a little sweaty thinking about that. Honestly, it's I.
Speaker 4: Mean, it sounds awkward and like weird, but for me even keeping track of just even conversations that I have with people throughout the week. So anytime someone gives me positive feedback at work, I mean not in passing. If I'm walking down the hall and someone's like, hey, Rich, nice shoes, I'm I'm not gonna go write that down like Tony said, I got nice shoes. But if I helped deliver on a project, if somebody was in a pinch and I helped them with something and they sent me a note afterwards and said, Rich really appreciated your help. I keep all of that because I mean not so not just so I can look at it and feel good about myself, though I think that's important too. Not sure if you all ever talked about like encouragement jars where you keep the positive feedback that you get so that when you're in a period where times do feel really down and difficult, you can kind of refer to that and to get you back into a good mental place.
Speaker 2: But just keeping record of the good things Yeah, it made me nervous to think about that. But you're saying it's a good thing to do, not only for ourselves for encouragement, but also what that can how we can utilize that to present and I'm assuming you're going in the direction of negotiating and increasing your salary.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So one thing that I do have to work on, because you all mention how busy I am, is my sleep because I haven't been getting the right amount of sleep for years and now it's turning into like that short term memory thing that just happen where I'll like lose something. So that is one of those projects that I'm that have them working on long term.
Speaker 2: But as far alone Wrench, well, we've all been there.
Speaker 4: I know I'll be in the kitchen at the refrigerator like why am I here? But as as far as the tracking, I keep that because when it comes performance review season, it's not just my manager. We also need to get collect feedback from our peers, and so I want to have a list of all of the people that I had a positive interaction with so that when I need to select peer review, I can go through and say, Okay, who are the people that I've helped out, what's the level of meaningfulness impact what level of seniority. I would love to have some feedback from folks who are more senior than myself as opposed to just having feedback from folks who are at my level and below. And so little simple things even if a director reaches out and asks me a question, and they ask me if I can take care of something, even if it's just something I spend an hour on, I keep track of that because at the point they're reaching out to me to work on it, I know that they're in a pinch, and it's just little things like that add up over time. And I don't know that we're also thoughtful about Not that I am, because I certainly was not for many years. But I don't know if we're all as thoughtful about keeping track of these little things that may seem insignificant that when you add them together and it's just like investing or anything else, it compounds, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, And what like a great exercise to incorporate into your work week, like Friday at four pm when you're nobody's doing anything.
Speaker 4: At four pm, but go on.
Speaker 2: To go back through.
Speaker 3: The week and see like, okay, what did I accomplish, What's the best thing I accomplished this week? Who did I interact with? Like what happened this week? And taking an inventory every week. So yeah, when that does come, you can you have things to pick and choose because it is so easy to forget those things if you don't write them down, and then you don't have to feel like bossy or like boisterous when you're in your performance review. You can simply be like, Okay, let's let the data speak for itself. Let's let this list speak for itself, and it can kind of like solve some of those mental block barriers almost.
Speaker 4: Definitely, definitely, And it's a confident booster too when you look because I've had so many weeks. I think we've all had weeks where we get to the end of it and we're like, I don't feel like I accomplished anything this week. I'm sure we've all had that feeling. Then when you actually look at all the things you crossed off your to do list, maybe they weren't all these like grandios you know, like planning a conference or a summon. You know, they weren't all these grandiose things. But when you look you're like, Wow, I actually got like forty or fifty transactional task done this week. Yes, I don't love doing those things, but that's something and it even helps, like say you want to be able to have a conversation with your manager about expectations or even about how you're spending your time, being able to say, like, hey, I'm spending forty to fifty percent of my time on transactional task replying to email. I'd love to start working on projects that have a bit more exposure and a bit more scope. And so by scope, I just mean like the realm of impact and probably the level that you need to work across different teams in that particular organization. And you don't know any of that stuff if you don't write it down. I really do think that like that's the most key and foundational thing to negotiating, because if you're not confident, how can you negotiate? Uh. And so if you have all these receipts and you're getting ready to go into a performance review conversation, and by the way, I think you should be having this type of conversation with the manager every month to make sure that you're on the same page. So you don't end up in performance review season with surprises. But you should be happily in those conversations like sharing and when they say hey, like what's been going on, you're like, oh, you know, just just plugging along, like no, say hey, things have been going well. I got some great feedback from this that because your manager may even start to ask you more questions and then next thing you know, they might say something like, oh, I didn't know you were so passionate about that. Wow, I didn't know that was a skill of yours. Do you want to work on this thing? So it's just important that you don't just wait for that one time of the year to have the conversation, that you're having that conversation throughout the year on a regular basis, whether it's weekly. I mean, you don't have to go look at what I did you know, every single day, but there should be a regular cadence where you're having career conversations with your manager, and if your manager is not scheduling that with you, it is your responsibility to find that time and on your career and drive that conversation with them.
Speaker 3: Absolutely such good advice. So we know now writing down performance stuff, writing down what we've done, like writing down what you do so that you can broaden your scope. Is there any other specific tips for someone who's looking right now to make more money at their current job.
Speaker 4: Yep. And this is difficult because there's small companies, medium companies, large companies, publicly traded companies, private companies, and they're subject to all sorts of regulation. And then another thing. I know it's not law in every state yet, but there are some states where employers, if you're interviewing for a role, they legally cannot ask you your salary. And as things like that continue to change, hopefully we get to a place where it's the same type of laws across the board. But that factor even within negotiating for external and I'll get to the internal piece, but even external, one thing I tell people is do not divulge your salary unless it's somehow required, because apparently there are some fields where you have to provide that information, or if you work for the government, it's public information. But if you can avoid divulging that upfront, let them speak first and come back to the end, fantastic. I think for internal it's a bit more challenging because, for example, where I work you can't just in the middle of a performance cycle say hey, I want to raise and just send a note to HR and ask for a raise. That the main opportunities are during that performance review conversation, and then also if you get a promotion, and then depending on the size of the company that you work at, maybe you can make some type of lateral move. And so that's what I've done for my last couple of jobs, where I maintained my level and I went from being a staffing lead to an internal communications and change management program manager, and then from I laddered again to move into the DEI world. And that doesn't necessarily correlate to a pay increase every time, but from a job satisfaction, mental real estate, mental wealth perspective, I think that there's a lot to that because I find even if I'm working more hours, that if I enjoy the work and it's something that I'm passionate and excited about, it doesn't drain away from my energy to still work on things outside of the office that are important to me. So the money part is super important. I do think when you're internal it's more challenging. The other best way to get an increase is to get an external offer and then come back and say, hey, I have this external offer. But that is a risky move because if you just go at some places, if you just go and start interviewing, they assume that you're no longer loyal and that you want to leave, and so you have to be comfortable accepting that risk. But I have seen people where if they are top performers, they go, especially after they've worked somewhere for a few years, because I think after about two years somewhere, if you don't like move or make a change your the de rate at which your pay is going up actually starts to decrease. Damnit, I just lost it again. Can y'all edit this? You'll do a jump cut on this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that's a that's a forbe study. Whereas if you people who don't make some kind of move after two years can limit their salary potential by up to fifty percent over their lifetime.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's so that's a huge number. The other one was that the difference between negotiating an additional five thousand dollars at the beginning of your career over the course of your career works out to over half a million dollars that you've left on the table by not negotiating that that first five thousand. But when you're internal, yeah, there it is, and you get that external offer and you're a high performer, the company may say, crap, like we need to come up on this to be able to keep this person, or maybe it triggers them to look at all the pay equity internally, because what typically happens you stay in the same role for a few years. This has happened to me. You stay in the same role for a few years, You get little raises here and there, and it feels good. But then when you check the market and you start interviewing, and then you realize people are making twenty twenty five thirty percent more than you, that's when it's like, oh crap. So I have seen it work where you go out and interview elsewhere to get a sense of your market value. But you also need to be comfortable knowing that if you come back with the offer that the company may just say, well, okay, see you later.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's amazing that sometimes companies will choose to lose their employees over that, because I've also seen it happen so many times where an employee does walk away go somewhere else, and then the original company tries to get them back for yeah, what would have represented like a thirty percent increase sometimes, and that's been to Travis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my husband he left because of salary, and two years later they brought him back for more than he was making at the new job.
Speaker 4: It was Yeah, that's how it works. I mean, there are some people who believe that you should move around every two years. I don't personally subscribe to that philosophy. I understand it, and I get the data behind it, but my thing is like, I want this to be the last place I work for as long as I work in corporate America. Don't I don't have a desire to try to go to a Facebook, a Twitter to get more money. Like I'm I'm good. I'm happy with where I am. I'm happy with the equity. I'm happy with a lot of the freedom that the role provides. And I just mentioned that because the money is one part of it. But sometimes there are these other benefits where it's like the cost of healthcare, vacation time, Google's like fertility in introvite. I don't even know how you pronounce.
Speaker 2: That fat fertilization.
Speaker 4: There we go, My bad, I'm such a that's that that is so man of me. Even stuff like that, where if you're thinking about family planning, there are all these other benefits that we don't think about because we often get so fixed on the salary, which is important. But let's say that I'm going to go somewhere and the offer is, you know, sixty K, and I get you know, four weeks of vacation, free breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and I get a monthly metro card. Okay, so it's like, okay, sixty thousand dollars plus all these other benefits. This other job pays eighty K, but I don't get any of that. Now, I can't do all of the mouth and that quickly in my head. But hopefully the way that it works out from how I described it is that that job that paid less as far as salary, when you factor in how much money is saved in terms of benefits, or maybe they have a childcare offering that quickly makes up that that EIGHTYK that that other salary had. So so it's import that people think about the money part of it. But it's also important that people think about what are the other benefits or the other things that are important to me, So going back to that values part and even just kind of like core needs, like what are the things that I absolutely need in my next role based off of where I want to go in my life or where I want my family to be, and let me decide from that perspective as opposed to deciding based on the dollar amount loan, Because if you decide based on the dollar amount alone, there is a I don't have data to support it, but there was a pretty good chance you will ultimately end up unhappy and unfulfilled.
Speaker 2: I'm really glad you mentioned the benefits piece. I think it often gets pushed aside when we consider negotiation, and this is something so just as an example, my mom works as a certified medical assistant at a hospital and they're pretty rigid with how they approach salaries and the caps and when you get a raise and how often and what percentage it's going to be. And I'm not saying you can't negoti to me, I think, try, what's the worst they're going to do? Say no? But I'm like, okay when that's the case when it comes to finances, But you know you still want to stay in it, consider asking for other things to her. Flexibility is really important, So ask for more vacation time, ask for better health benefits, ask for an increase in your four oh one K match like who knows. But there's different ways that we can explore negotiation, not just salary. So I really appreciate your focus on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even like you're going to take a course and maybe that course relates to your job. See if your job will reimburse you for it. You know, are there things that you're already doing. And a lot of times these companies have these these discount portals that people don't look into, where you know, you can get things like discounts on your cell phone, discounts on products and services from other companies, like discounts on MacBooks. So there are all of these things that are even discount on travel. There are all of these things that are available there, even sometimes they're buried in some five hundred page employee handbook or the company isn't as good as socializing all of the various resources that are available. And that's why I emphasize so much that this career progression thing really is on the individual. It really is on you to stay on track of all of these things and not assume that other people don't know how to do their job. But just take your career, and you take your life and your own just live intentionally. I feel like when you live intentionally, things just work out. Not all of the time you're going to have these peaks and valleys and dips, but when you're moving intentionally with a goal in mind, whether it's short term or long term, I just find that even with all of the turbulence that happens in life, it still feels easier to get there because ultimately you know what it is that you are working toward. And I think the same thing applies to your career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of that intentionality piece, and if somebody is considering their care and considering what they're getting paid and their benefits, do you have any guide or template on when is a good time to be considering a higher pay or when to kind of start that process, whether it's within your company or if it is necessary to make a career move.
Speaker 4: It's funny, then I'm going to answer this this way because I just decided this literally yesterday. I think the time to start thinking about that is pretty much after you accept that offer for whatever role you're in now, or whenever you start your next role, starting to have an idea of how that's going to take you forward, which is going to help you plot the next few steps. So I'll give you an example of this. When I was working at a nonprofit from twenty ten to twenty thirteen. That was my first role as an HR generalist, and the reason that I was able to get into that role is because I had did a bid I'm gonna call it a bid like it was prison at a staffing agency that I did that was because I found out to get an HR generalist role, I needed to pick up kind of more of the core HR skills or pick up what was a professional in Human Resources certification. Working at this staff engagency allowed me to get the experience and pick up credits so that I could sit for the professional and Human Resources exam. The fact that I had picked up those credits that I was positioning myself for this exam made this company interested in me because they saw that I was serious about HR. So taking that head hunter job, I started my career in sales, but then taking that head hunter job, even that was connected to what I did in sales, because you're on the phone, you're pitching people, you're selling opportunities, and you're selling candidates to companies, you're selling products. And so each role that I've taken has been intentional in terms of how it set me up for the next one. So when I went from that nonprofit that I won't talk about how I felt when I left it, But when I left that nonprofit, I said, I want to go to a tech startup that'll better position be to get noticed by a larger company like a Google or someone like that. And that's what ended up happening. And I mentioned that because that career decision of I want to go to this type of company to better position me for the next thing, because it's not always that immediate next move right. Sometimes it's two or three moves down the road, and so knowing that you may have to take like a pivot or what might feel like a little bit of a step back to ultimately come up in the long term, it's well worth it. So I encourage people just constantly thinking about like what's next, how you can pick up new skills, if there is a direction that you want to go, what are the skills that you need to pick up now or the type of projects and type of work that you need to get on, so that you can pick up more of that experience so that when it comes time to interview, or when it comes time to have that conversation about a promotion or your readiness, you've already picked up the skills. And again it's hey, look I've got the receipts. I think even for interviewing, that same list of stuff that I write down and I do all of this in trello. When it comes time for me to interview for jobs, same thing. I go through all of the projects that I've worked on, everything that I've accomplished, all of the people that I've talked to, and just to jog stories, what are the realm of stories or what are the realms of things that I can say in these conversations to showcase my value, my knowledge, and that I'm the person that you need to hire and get all these other candidates out the pain.
Speaker 2: So wise, I love all the tips that you're providing from keeping track of it, and I think there's a bit of a perspective shift with this too, because a lot of times will keep track of all the negative stuff within our workplaces, of all the stuff someone else did that really frustrated us. Yes, but still keep a list. Just make it a list about all the things that you are doing well and that position you well to increasing that salary, increasing that benefits, and living more intentional. I think that's it's excellent. And to constantly be thinking about it even from day one. All Right, when am I going to negotiate for that higher pay? What do I want it to be? What are the skill sets, environments, experiences that I want to be a part of. In order so that I love the term you're using the receipts so I have the proof of it to say, here's why. It's not just oh can you give me an extra ten thousand dollars, but here's why I think that I've earned that value for this company. Excellent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's And I'm saying yeah because I agree with what you're saying that because I think what I said it is so dope.
Speaker 2: I'm just repading what you're saying. So that's fine. Add it to your list of all the dope things are doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I really do feel like the actual negotiation part and That's why I'm not talking so much about the negotiation is everything that comes before it, because really, to me, most of it is the mental Most of it is this receipts part of it, because if you go into the conversation and you're confident, you're less likely to back down when you just got all of this evidence and you feel that you have this solid case and you're looking and you're like, yo, look at all of this stuff that I've done, and that's information that you can use internally with the current company or externally, and maybe you look at all these things that you've done, you have a conversation internally, you ask about a raise, they say no, and then you take those same receipts and those turn into resume bullet points, those turn into stories that you're telling in external interviews, which then turn into offers that you're now bringing back to your company and saying, here's what happens when you don't pay someone their worth. I'll see you later.
Speaker 2: So I feel energized.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, I hope that the people listening to this will be motivated to now like go And I hate this term ask for what you're worth, because we have this mental block about what we're our self worth is, but to just ask for more and to justify it with those receipts to start are keeping them so that your maybe your self worth does increase as a result of doing this.
Speaker 2: So I think it can be twofold.
Speaker 3: I think I think we're going to like raise people's feeling of self worth and their incomes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very excited, and I have like this negotiation thing. I can summarize it in particularly for external when you're moving jobs. And I kind of talked about it already. The magic to a recruiter's ears or whoever you're working with on the job at the point that you do have an offer is and this is after they've told you the numbers and you have not told them what the numbers are, and they come back with the offer that's probably going to be like a pretty low or it could be really high, which would be awesome, in which case still ask for more, still ask for more. But if you say, okay, I've looked at the offer, I'd be willing to sign this today if give whatever it is that you want, and that recruiter or that person their insteadies to get you hired, whether in house, outhouse, in house or extend house. Yeah, not in the out house. Yeah yeah, hopefully with no flies in it. But that just I could tell you just from doing this for years, that I'm ready to sign today. If that gives the recruit of the information that they need to go back to the compensation team, the HR team, whoever's controlling the budget, and since they have extended the offer to you, it's clear that they want you. Uh. That is how you get them to do whatever they can do on their side, and typically whatever they come back with after that point is close to, if not the actual number that they can really do. So if they offer you seventy K and you say, hey, I've looked at everything and I'd be willing. I'd be willing to sign this offer today. If we could get to eighty five, and they come back and say the highest we can do is seventy, then maybe you say, is there any flexibility on benefits, vacation time, I have some trips, and like that's kind of how it like, that's kind of how it goes as opposed to you saying, oh, well I make sixty five today, and so they anchor on you know, sixty five or seventy you don't tell them that. You let them throw out the first number, and then your goal is just to push that up. And remember it doesn't have to be just in the dollar amount. It could be in the other benefits that you ask about as well, because let's say they say seventy five instead of eighty five, you go okay, and then you ask about benefits. As a recruiter, it's like, what other things can I do to close this person? So, okay, we got money off the table. They seem to be cool with that, Like, what are the other things that I can do to try and sweeten the pot for this person to get them in the door. I think a lot of people negotiate from the perspective of, oh my god, I don't want to mess this up. Oh my god, I don't want to lose this opportunity. If I ask for more, they're going to walk away. And I think I've heard of that happening in like zero point one percent of cases. And if a place does walk away from you for asking for more than that's probably not a place you want to be in the first place. But just that, and I find it works in general that if we can get to i'd be ready to today is gold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I find and I didn't know this until I became an entrepreneur. But in businesses that are hiring, businesses don't typically hire proactively. They hire reactively, and so when they need somebody and they've chosen someone, they are really kind of desperate to get that position filled quickly. So it is definitely they don't hire just because they have the time to end money life around to hire people. They need people.
Speaker 4: One more thing and this is where I see people fumble with negotiation. Is the market, the economy, how the company is doing, has no impact on what your worth is and the value that they should be paying you. When I hear people say, oh, like, I know it's tough time, so I'm looking to take a little Why why are you looking to take less? Your value hasn't changed, your skill set hasn't changed.
Speaker 2: This isn't really altruism needs to come out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's so funny that people will think so much about the companies, but these companies don't think so much about the people. They'll be quick to lay you off, fire you, and you're thinking, oh, like I really need this, Like you know what, maybe I'll just take like let know your rate is your rate. Whatever work they need done, clearly you know how to do it. So you got to hold to that. I don't care how the market and the market is going up or down. I know some people who are making more money than they've ever made before because the skill set is in a deficit, or just like y'all said, it's reactive and a hiring manager is incentivized to get someone in the door as quickly as possible because they're probably doing two or three x work. Someone on their team is probably doing two or three X work, and now that's creating an attrition risk. So just remember that when you do get to that stage, you really are in the driver's seat.
Speaker 3: That's awesome, Thank you for sharing that. So this is a question that we're asking all of our speakers based on the topic that we're talking about, but we'd really love to know, like, what do you hope the future of careers holds or includes remote flexibility?
Speaker 4: Huge? That's one thing I think that's come out of the pandemics at the Googs. And I am not a company spokesperson, but I know we're working back toward three days in office two days out. There's also an option where you can apply to be one hundred percent remote regardless of where you live, which I hadn't thought about as much that I'm starting to look at a lot more seriously, because for some people, being remote and working from home isn't the greatest situation family kids, Maybe it's even like an abusive situation, like who knows, but the flexibility to I've enjoyed this experience of working from home, you know, I've gotten so much more stuff done at home than I could get done in the office because of the way that my focus is set up. And I know a lot of other people who are experiencing their utmost levels of productvity. And I've also found that there's a general feeling of empowerment where people have had a year to kind of sit around and think, like what do I want out of life? Like maybe I should pick up a hobby habit. So people are setting up at sea stores and all of this other stuff, and these are things that would be a lot more difficult to do if it were not for us working from home. So I think there's some work to do. Work to be done in terms of how this pans out legally and like benefit wise from a certain perspective because there are things like if you work in one state but you're living somewhere else, how that impacts you. But that flexibility for people to work from wherever they want and for companies to understand you can still get the job done. It's not just a product of being in the office. That's where I hope we go like urto or return to the office and remote flex Like it is a huge topic right now that I'm seeing with people who are leaving the company and just with folks who are perusing the career streets in general.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is neat to see some of the benefits that have come out of this past one and a half plus years and just really the post traumatic growth that can happen, the resilience.
Speaker 4: I love that I'm writing that down.
Speaker 3: Jill has so many one liners.
Speaker 2: I'm a social worker my day job.
Speaker 3: So oh yeah, yeah, you can convey really big topics and big ideas in like three to four words, and it's great.
Speaker 2: Thanks Jen.
Speaker 4: If I can get you to do that for If I can get you to do that for Crypto, that'd be fantastic. I'll work on.
Speaker 2: It because that's right.
Speaker 5: It's time for the best minute of your entire week.
Speaker 1: Maybe a baby was born and his name is Williams.
Speaker 4: Maybe you've paid off your mortgage, maybe your car died and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore.
Speaker 2: Duck bills, but blow bills.
Speaker 4: Bill, Claron, this is.
Speaker 3: The bill of the week.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, with that wretch. Can you share your bill of the week with us?
Speaker 4: My bill of the week. And it's funny. I am looking around my room, buying myself timed, thinking of something that's going to remind me of a bill. Actually I and this will not be a surprise at all, my therapist bill. Actually, I just I just saw that. So it's like every time I go, I go weekly. I've been going weekly since with the exception of some holidays, since July or excuse me, August twenty seventeen. And I mentioned that, and I do get expensed or I do get reimbursed for part of it through my healthcare benefit, so yeah, see benefit. But I mentioned that because because I've been thinking a lot about just where life is currently, and I was talking to Jin about this and just a lot of the abundance and things that have come my way. Uh, and having a therapist and having a support system and having what I like to call the right investment the right investments in my life portfolio has made a huge difference. And I don't think that I'm even here having this conversation with y'all today and possibly not even here period. I know that sounds super grim if I don't start working with a therapist and start putting the right folks around me and uh and really taking care of myself. So I'm going to go with the therapist bill because that's a bill that I don't mind paying every week.
Speaker 2: Oh that thrills me to hear. And I champion everything that you've just said. And thanks for the plug too, just for for my mental health field that I'm in. I really appreciate it. I think one again, if we were to think about post traumatic growth, I do think that a lot of the stigma along with seeking help and support as it relates to mental health is decreasing. The people are seeking out help and support more. There's also a double edged sword with that because it is there is such a need for it, but there is help available and support available. So well done, glad that that is your bill and that you're not Yeah, a shame to talk about it or do it on a regular basis, and I'm really thrilled to hear it's helping you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean just just owning your story, owning yours, just talking about this type of stuff. It's really big to me right now, especially with men, because I know there's ego and there's you know, the norms, and you know, we just pray it out there. There's all sorts of stuff and it to it didn't take. But when I lost a friend to uh, he took his own life in twenty eighteen. And this was somebody who, like soup, one of those extremely popular but secretly struggling folks, like just had everything, Like you thought he was gonna be a He just had everything, but like no one knew or people didn't know until afterwards and then they started piecing it together. But that's why, like I just harp, but I'm like, it is so important, Like don't be ashamed to go have a conversation, go talk to someone. There's actually less judgment when you talk to a therapist because you know they're not your family, they're not your friends, like they're there's really no judgment. You're paying to not be judged. Which it's just great.
Speaker 2: They're a job what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Get that now, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So, And we're glad that you're here, Rich, that you have helped so many people, and you do and your story is helping people and going to help even more people in the future. So thank you for being Thank you for being here. Where can people hear more from you?
Speaker 4: Yes? So, you can check out the Paychecks and Balances podcasts on your favorite podcast player. Also at paychecks and Balances dot com. You can also follow me on all the socials at pay balances. If you follow that account, you get a link to my personal I post a lot more regularly on at pay Balances personal finance content, career content, motivational content, mental health content, and some fun along the way. And yeah, that's pretty much it at pay Balances. Paychecks and Balances dot Com podcast is now weekly being released on Thursday, so encourage you to come over check that out and save what's up in these social media streets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, Rich, Thanks for sharing your perspective, Thanks for being in this space. Thank you for offering another face to personal finance other than white male.
Speaker 4: No problem, I took my hat.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmmmm. Do you see what we mean. Do you see what we mean now or a whole new meaning.
Speaker 1: It was really rude of us to hold this episode, this interview, like hold it away from you for so long. But we've seen our error and that's why we're bringing it to you. It's not actually that we've seen our error.
Speaker 2: It's that.
Speaker 1: We just need to pack a lot of interviews in a short amount of time so you get the benefit of my maternity leave.
Speaker 2: We're all reaping those benefits. Yes, that may be gonna be so cute, but I think.
Speaker 1: I hope that you will take something away from this interview, like really advocating yourself taking risks and hopefully increasing your income if you're not to do a side hustle to really capitalize on the forty hours a week you put in at work.
Speaker 2: Thank you all so much for listening, and again we're going to remind you that we have a membership for our listeners. People are already in there working towards their debt payoffs and we do monthly money challenges. There's accountability groups in there so you can chat with others about what your financial goals are to share tips with each other. We want to congratulate one of our members for a big win. This comes from Vanessa W. Who shared My husband and I saved over forty five hundred dollars in January doing a no spend challenge. As a result, we have been able to start putting in offers on home.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Whoo that's what we did when we so we were told that we had six weeks to get out of our apartment because the owner was going to airbnb it, and we just did a no spend month and that's how we were able to get additionals to our savings for the house.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So well done, Vanessa.
Speaker 2: This is amazing that you could find that amount of money in one month to set aside for putting in offers on homes that might otherwise have been spent. These are what no spend challenges are for, like specific reason, identify maybe habits you want to shift and change. Not a long term lifestyle, but can really help jumpstart these goals. Well done, but.
Speaker 1: More finish them strong, Like I have just a couple thousand left on this credit card, I need just a couple thousand for a down payment. Doing a no spend challenge just really quickly, like get there so motivating.
Speaker 2: Thank you all again for being here. If you want to check out that membership where we have those courses, interviews, challenges, lots more really awesome people over there, go to Frugal Friends podcast dot com slash club see if it's a good fit for you.
Speaker 1: Bye. Grugal Friends is produced by.
Speaker 2: Eric sirianni okay Jen, speaking of intentional strategies to increase your income and just wealth in general. Can you already tell them? Being sarcastic with what's to come next? I can't wait. So friends were in town this past weekend and we went to the beach and lo and behold we find this one little beach toy peeking up out of the sand. No, no children are around, so we know this was just left behind and nearly covered. What it was was a beautiful little turtle flexible sand mold. However, I'm thinking this could also be an ice bold this because it was kind of silicon. Yeah, super flexible. So we bring it home and I decide to get cracking on turtle making turtle ice What I could what what is one turtle mold could be infinite ice turtles turtle and so infinite it's not the word I get going. I washed it out first and made sure it was very free of sand, and I even began to set timers, also out of my curiosity to see how long to make one turtle? How long does it does it take make anice? It does take more than an hour. I set it for one hour and went back to it. It wasn't quite long enough, but two hours solid amount of time for a turtle ice. So I was on it. I got to the fourth one. So I have a bag that I was putting the turtle ice turtles into and pulling them out every time adding to it. I had three done. I was about to get the fourth out. The fourth broke.
Speaker 4: Oh no, what.
Speaker 2: Could be done? But how about let's try just adding more water to it, refreezing it. It'll congeal it all again into ice. Did that put the turtle back in? You know what I didn't do. I didn't put the bag of the other three turtles back into the freezer. All those turtles melted. My now nearly twenty four hours of turtle making all for nought. Had it was just water at that point? Did I let it get me down though? For a minute? Yes, But I persevered and we are back on the turtle making game. I don't know what I'm gonna do with it because I don't I see it in myself. There was a part of me, what other kinds of molds could I be getting for myself? I don't want that. I don't want ice molds. I don't want my fridge to only be full of ice. Although I do love those Instagram accounts. It's fun to watch, but I can't do that. I'm only doing this because I got a free turtle from the beach. Although my friend, who knows that I'm in a bit of transition with my work, was like, this could be your next gig. You could sell turtles making, and I prefer to keep it as a hobby. But you know, maybe in like five years from now, I discover yeah, well so far, I'm not the greatest at it. You need to practice.
Speaker 1: You're never going to be perfect right off the first turtle or yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: I'm going to try and figure out if there's a way I can weave it in at your baby shower. Turtles are not the theme. Donuts are the theme. Spoiler alert, But there might be like a turtle in your drink ice.
Speaker 1: Turtle did you test it to make sure that turtles fit in your cups?
Speaker 4: Nope, okay, I