Speaker 1: He was up on about the Dramady Rodriguez.
Speaker 2: This is those amigos, and honestly so and the last part we you know, we had just started talking about your book, and I am grateful that you wrote this one because there is so much about making money that is daunting, that is scary, that is a hard conversation to have with oneself. There's a lot of fear that comes with that. It's attached to a lot of wounds that we have. So make money easy, create financial freedom, and live a richer life again available everywhere that you read or listen to your books. I kind of already know what this book is about. I love that you chose screen, I love the title. Can you tell us a little bit about the inspiration of this book, and like you know how you drive it to be this.
Speaker 3: Because money robs people of their joy. Money if you have a wounded relationship with it, robs people of relationship, rich relationships, a rich life, and their joy. And a lot of us chase money to feel safe, but so often we still don't feel safe with the money we have, or we feel like it's still not enough. And when I made my first million dollars, I remember being more upset and angry than ever because I still didn't love and accept myself, and I thought the money was going to make me feel something different. I thought, like I hit that number, I don't know something's going to unlock for me, and it didn't. I just knew how to make money, but I didn't know how to create a sense of peace within me. So money didn't give me peace. It didn't give me a sense of inner freedom. Momentarily, it gave me options to solve certain things, but it almost created a bigger wound for me because when I was broke, living on my sister's couch for a year and a half in Columbus, Ohio when I was twenty four, no one was reaching out for me to ask for money or anything because I didn't have anything to offer. Wilmer gets asked every day by someone for Hey, can you connect me to this person? Can you give me a loan? Can you give me money for this? Can you fund my project? He's had that for twenty five years since he's been you know, rich and handsome and successful. Right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The handsome point is the more handsome you are, the more they want from me.
Speaker 3: But when I when I started making money. Kids from high school college started coming out and saying, Hey, can I get some money or can you work in this project with me? And I was like, this doesn't feel good. You're not my friend, Like you didn't talk to me for eight years, and now you see I have money. You're asking for something from me because I have this thing that doesn't feel good. So it's almost like the wound expanded inside of me.
Speaker 1: And it exposed the other stuff you hated about. Society didn't like it.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, man, I feel like I'm getting taken advantage of and a whole new way and not valued for other things. And so most people. I've done a lot of interviews with billionaires, people have sold huge companies wealth experts over the last twelve years for my own learning, and a lot of people wanted this information because so many divorces end out of money arguments, so many problems in relationships and because of money frustration. Again, people are not in alignment around money when they're in relationship with each other, and that causes friction, that causes just a feeling of stress and pain and tension and all these things in our nervous system. Because we don't communicate about money. And each of one of us has a money story and a money personality style. And when you're in relationship with a friend, they have a different money story and personality style. Your parents, different one, your spouses, your kids, everyone has a different money story and money personality style how they choose to interpret. And I'll just ask you guys this question, and I would love to hear both of your responses. Imagine for a moment, money is in the form of a person. Money, the idea of money, all the things mixed up around money is in a person's body, and that person walks to the door and sits down right there. What is your initial reaction or response to that idea of money if they sat right in front of you right now, what would you initially? And I want true honesty here, and I'm gonna share some different examples. Yeah, yeah, money walks in the door, it sits down. How do you think, how do you feel? What do you say? What do you not say?
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 2: And this is like my younger self speaking because immediately went there, like how do I validate myself to earn a conversation with them?
Speaker 3: The interest thing that's interesting, like how.
Speaker 2: Do I show enough colorspecass, you know, to feel like I can speak that language, like can speak whatever that language is. And not because not because I needed right, not because I need the money, not because I want the money, but because.
Speaker 1: I have this.
Speaker 2: YEARN this, this YEARN in this this this, I want to be accepted for understanding it.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Wow, what about what's the first response? My first initial response?
Speaker 4: I think with me, I had I had children at a really early age, and I was married at an early age, and so I had the sole responsibility of being my family's provider. And so my relationship pressure a lot of weight, tons tons, and so my relationship with money has always been try to be the best at what you do, because your famili's existence depends on and am and so I would. I came into town, and I tried to fricking kill every audition, every job I ever did. I approached it with such fervor and such focus and intensity because my family's existence depended on it.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Yeah, And that energy showed up in almost probably every moment and every interaction unconsciously with people. Maybe you met, you're trying to get introductions. Maybe it wasn't even thinking, how can I gain something from this, but you're like, I need to deliver at all times. Yes, my family depends on it. And probably both your parents had the same mindset as immigrants, like we got to survive, you know, and the weight of like month by month bills. We six months bill, we don't have that. We got to figure out next month right now. And I can't take a sick day and I can't do you know.
Speaker 2: It's like, it's so crazy you're saying that, because here's the thing. I it's gonna sound really crazy, but this is kind of a version of like letting go of perception, letting go of expectations.
Speaker 1: Right the moment that I stopped looking at my bank.
Speaker 2: Account, the more I never worried about the life staying on. I just knew I had to get up in the morning, I had to show up right. But the moment I took the pressure of knowing how much I had in the bank, all of a sudden, refrigerator have food. It isn't that crazy to think about the simplicity and the power you can take away from from the perception of how much you have, which also dictates what the status, what you can afford, what you want in life or whatever, like once I divorced that once I kind of got rid of the how much money do I have in the bank?
Speaker 1: Like how much do I have left?
Speaker 2: By the way, how much do I have left in the bank, Because it's two things.
Speaker 1: How much money I have and how much much money I have left.
Speaker 2: It's two different perspectives, right, how many how much money you have left? It's like I'm gonna be running out, so there's a there's an an urgency to do other things that are not within what you're gonna be because you got to put more in it. And the other one is how much for me not knowing how much money I had in the bank give me this freedom that I never had to worry about the number. But I'm telling you it's really hard to say because you're you know you people are building their budgets and they're building how much do I have for rent? How much I But the moment I let go and trust me, I came from a very humble start with my family. You know my story. You know my story and all you guys have heard the story. But the moment I just kept looking ahead of me, the less worry I had about refrigerator and rent.
Speaker 1: So was it a sense of faith?
Speaker 2: Maybe like faith, but also like trusts.
Speaker 3: The word you said is once I created freedom and I stopped worrying about it. And that is the whole thing. Most people don't feel free around their relationship to money. And if you don't feel free, you are trapped or you're a prisoner to it, or you're scarce, your energy is clenched, or I was fervolously like going after it, whatever it is. It's like I was chasing it, you know. I was like running away from something, chasing it. Like I had that same energy. And you can create a lot of financial success but not have financial freedom. Four years ago, I was living in a building in Century City and during the pandemic, and I went off for a road trip one weekend. I came back and it was probably the most expensive building in LA like apartment building. And you know, Matthew Perry was in there, like Jim. I saw Jim carry out a place in there. At one point. It's like, yeah, I haven't even start, you know, talking about it. And it was a every day is freaking masera, the most expensive cars in the valet and just wealth. The building just smelled of wealth, right. You didn't know where the money came from sometimes, but it was a lot of money in there and celebrity all that stuff. And I drove back from this road trip one day and in the valet as as I'm pulling up, there's a white tent out front in the parking garage like out front, and I go, I said at the valet attendant, I go, someone didn't jump. Did they making a joke? Someone did jump? And he said, yeah, they did, And I thought he was joking. I was like, wait what I just so, I was just like, wait a minute. What this building. I've lived in this building. I've seen these people. People seem fine, and they have tons of money. And as I went down the rabbit hole and researched it, the guy who jumped was worth like a half a billion dollar. And you know, I'm not here to understand his whole life story or whatever, but he was very well known. He was in the industry, executive proved to a lot of movies. And it was the day after Father's Day. And the more I read about it, he was a strange from his teenage son. He didn't have good relationships. He was doing like I later found out he was doing drugs and alcohol and all these different things. I'd seen the guy a couple of times. He looked normal, he looked fine and happy, but inside the money didn't make him happy. It wasn't you know. There was no amount of money. It sounded like a half a billion dollars didn't make him want to save his own life. So he had financial success, but he did not have freedom. And the freedom comes from healing. Yeah, if you're out of alignment, there is a deep pain inside of you, emotionally, spiritually, psychologically, relationally. If you're out of alignment, that means there's a wound somewhere. And if you're out of alignment, you're scarce around money. You're chasing it, You're needing, You're looking to see how much you have left? Uh? Do I have it? Can I speak about it confidently in front of someone? Or will I be judged? You're in a disalignment with yourself around money? Can I speak about it at all with people? Am I afraid to talk about it? Can I pay for people? Or do I feel like they're gonna take advantage of me? How is my relationship? Am I the one who always pays. I'm assuming Wilma always pays and picks off the tab, right because because he has a folk but he has but he has abundance, he has success, so and he's probably like he's a very generous guy. It doesn't mean it's something wrong with that. But I always pay too, and it's hard for me to let people pay for me. So it's hard for me. But we're blocking the flow of abundance. We're blocking the flow of generosity from another if we don't allow people to give us gifts or pay for us even once in a while. And if you want freedom in your life, gratitude and generosity is the gateway to abundance. And so if we're always being grateful and generous, but we're not allowing others to also appreciate us or say, hey, I really acknowledge you one, I really acknowledge you for ready for what you guys have created yours. And if we just say, oh no, it is nothing even our energy of like uh, don't worry about it, like really say thank you, and just allow the flow of generosity of gratitude to not just be one sided. You giving all the time we're giving, We're gonna we're gonna pay, we're gonna take care, we're gonna be responsible, we're gonna be providers.
Speaker 1: Guilty of that, so guilty. And it doesn't mean that went broke twice.
Speaker 3: Just giving given, And it doesn't mean we have to be you know, someone has to match our generosity. Doesn't mean because I'm gonna give, I'm gonna pay for a year, you have to pay for a year back. It's like, but allowing someone to give gratitude and generosity is the gayway to abundance.
Speaker 1: Yea, But you're you're like that to the next stent.
Speaker 4: Warm are so and you know them right very You're so generous, but not only with like I'm not talking about money.
Speaker 5: Sexy, You're you're.
Speaker 3: So generous with your sexy.
Speaker 4: Uh No, you're like about so much sex if you're you're you're so giving and generous with with everything. And I'm not talking about financial. Yeah, of course your heart. You're so your your everything. Uh And I noticed that sometimes when it's reciprocated, sometimes you you you sort of yeah, you don't receive.
Speaker 5: It in the way that you have earned it, Yeah, the way that you deserve it. And I noticed because I'm the same way.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, oh, why do you think that is for both of you? Why do you think you block the love or the generous?
Speaker 2: I think that we I mean we both I can say that we both come from not a very privileged platform. We weren't given we weren't set up to like win, right. We were entering a world that everybody calls it lucky if you make it right, There's nothing lucky about what we do.
Speaker 1: There's nothing lucky about you know. We talked about it in your show.
Speaker 2: If I remember back in the day, we're talking about the word luck. Luck to me is like an excuse for the lazy. Right the moment you say you're lucky, I mean you just open the loss of possibilities that it could also go the other way.
Speaker 3: If you're lucky, I could be unlucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could also be unlucky or like I'm lucky and I didn't earn it right, So I'm like, Noah, No, I mean, I'm so. I think the point is that I'm trying to make is that when I was given so much by you know, God, opportunity, the road map, the road that I traveled, and I've been on every face of all my friends and family and everybody in my life.
Speaker 1: I've been in every.
Speaker 2: Pace that they were and now being at this place where I can prove and I can share it and I can.
Speaker 1: You know, I can create environments for people to enjoy.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's me having to give it back and it's and you know, and it's like, Okay, I received it, so I give it back.
Speaker 1: I received this, so I give it back.
Speaker 2: And in many ways, and I said, in many ways is how the blessings I've kept coming, but in others has also worked against me because to your point, where you're blocking the blessings where, yes, where I think I'm blocking the blessings at a place where you know, where I don't allowed for some of that, for some of those blessings to return in unexpected ways, because I just have to make sure that I control the environment the outcome of most of the things. Because I felt in a privileged place, yes, but we did earn this place. It's not like I I'm privileged because blah blah blah blah blah, you know, which a lot of people make as artists and all of us here that you know, make us feel like it's almost like well, it's lucky for you because blah, lucky for you because you're this lucky. There's nothing lucky about what we're doing, you know, and we're fortunate to not be breaking rock. But there is an amount of work that comes to the stuff that we do that is that it's also hard to manage for anybody at right, you know, But I don't know.
Speaker 1: For me, that's kind of where interesting.
Speaker 2: You know, it's tough for me to receive because I feel like I got to give it back.
Speaker 5: But even but even like, okay, I'll give an example.
Speaker 2: His birthday just passed, right, Yeah, what is it, Marcia, No January Genuary third time?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just like a week after mine, and we're and we're all and you're like, you canna have a party?
Speaker 3: Man, he doesn't celebrate himself. No.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's like his own people had to be like, we're you're you're getting a damn birthday party. We're going to celebrate you because it's your day in a in a way for everyone to show gratitude.
Speaker 5: But but he's so like.
Speaker 3: You know, it's so interesting because I never celebrated any of the success I never celebrated my birthdays either for another reason growing up. But Martha, she comes from a Mexican family, and it's like it's a party for everything. Every week there's a freaking birthday. There's less money and meets, there's something being performed, celebrating the littlest things, like we we went to lunch just to celebrate the book launch. I'm like, okay, I would never do that for myself. I know, but I'm like, okay, like we'll go to lunch. And she was like, and I'm buying. And now it's like our money. I'm like, okay, you can buy. But it's it was allowing the act of generosity from my wife to say, hey, we're going to go to have a lunch. It doesn't have to be some crazy big thing. We went to cheesecake factory because I'm like, where do you want to go? I don't care where we go? And she bought uh And I was just like, okay, I'm gonna allow this, you know, hour and a half interaction with her family to have fun and be a moment. It doesn't have to be some massive big thing, but allow the hard work to come back.
Speaker 4: But how does it block your blessing though by you refusing that.
Speaker 5: How does it block that?
Speaker 3: Because generosity is part of creating abundance, and so it's gratitude, these two things mashed together. So if you're saying, don't express your gratitude to me, you're blocking that flow of someone giving to you that energy. And if you're blocking the generosity as well, Okay, I want to pay for your lunch, right if I want to pay for you. If I say no, I got myself, you're blocking money literally from coming to you, physical money. You're saying, no, I don't want you. So imagine if there's a person is money and you say I don't want you today, I don't want you. I'm good, I'm good. You're saying, get away from me energetically and physically.
Speaker 1: My brain is melted right now.
Speaker 3: You're literally you're looking making it is making. And then and then here's what we do as providers, as overachievers, as workers. Uh, we get resentful when no one gives us anything because we're like we're always giving to our family and our friends. And then people stop offering because we say, no, I got you, Okay, take you here, Yeah, I appreciate you, I got you. Don't worry about it. I got you, I got don't worry about it. And then it's like ten years goes by and no one's showed it, no one's We haven't allowed anyone to give We blocked the blessing from others. But it's a very hard thing. The last two years I've I've had to learn this because I was blocking myself. So it's been it. This is just as much for me. It was like, I need these exercises. I'm wearing a watch. My friend gave me this watch my fortieth birthday. I never bought a watch. I never wore watch before, And for six months I didn't wear the watch because I was like, I don't want to be flashy. I don't want to like wear money on me. I was just like, I'm a simple guy, and I was like, I'm blocking the flow of abundance. Someone gave me a gift, and I'm essentially saying I'm just gonna put it in a safe and just hide it there, like as opposed to appreciating the value of exchange. He gave me a gift. Let me appreciate it, not just by saying thank you. Let me use it, let me enjoy it, let me wear it. Let me, let me appreciate it. When we appreciate something or someone it or they appreciate in value. If we don't appreciate our spouse, it's probably going to depreciate in value, and they're not going to show up for us as much. They're going to be angry or resentful. Why don't you ever say how nice I look? Why don't you ever say thank you? If we depreciate something, it will not appreciate in value magically. So I was learning this for me. I was like, I need to learn to appreciate this. I need to enjoy it, not just hoard my money. I was afraid to go back to my sister's couch. For the last fifteen years. I had millions in the bank, but I want to spend it on me. I lived in a two bedroom apartment for fifteen years because I was like, I'm good here. I don't need to expand. Let me just I want to have more money in the bank as opposed to a sanctuary like Wilmore House. I was like, I'm happy in a two bedroom apartment, like I don't need more.
Speaker 5: It's okay, But do you need to speak easy?
Speaker 3: I do need to speak easy now.
Speaker 1: This is so.
Speaker 3: It's learning how to create the expansion of the environment within us. It doesn't mean, oh, let me go blow my money or blow a relationship or over extend myself, but how can I expand my capacity in my nervous system or my soul to give, appreciate, and receive more.
Speaker 1: And look, this is why this book is so important, you know.
Speaker 2: It really is like phase one of carving your path to your success and your personal success, identifying where you're going to go by having a healthy relationship of not of being free to make the money as supposed to be a prisoner to have to make it right. It's like, it's how you kind of frame it, and what I'm taking and what I'm learning from what you're saying is really that it's how is how is the outlook on the act of making money that actually dictates whether you're going to be successful or not?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: And the first thing you got to say, I mean, like I had my own very humble version, and you know, what you have kind of taught me today is is really your own personal perspective on like what you receive and your personal perspective about how you spend it. But most importantly, how you hold space for this money. Yes, you know, and it's like it is now I'm free to make this money as opposed to like I have to make this money.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's so hard when you need the money.
Speaker 3: So hard, right, And that's the time we need to learn how to expand and feel safe even though you're scarce. Because there's four ways of living life with money, four different types of relationship. I don't know which time we have. It's just good.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is now going to be two episodes.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's four different ways to live life with money in relationship to money, and I've lived all for of them. I'm assuming you guys probably have as well, but we'll see. The first one is being financially broke and emotionally broken. Essentially, financially scarce, I have no money, I'm on my sister's couch, three credit cards, student loan, debt broke. That's financially scarce and emotionally scarce. I have no purpose. I'm broken spiritually, my dream is over. I have an injury. I don't know what to do with my life. I'm emotionally and financially scarce. That's level one. No One wants to live like that, saying why am I here? And I have no money to do anything with the second phase is financially broke but emotionally abundant. This was phase two for me on my sister's couch. After about six months of feeling depressed and sad and down on myself, I was like, how do I get off this couch. I need to start creating a game plan. I need to find some mentors, some coaches. I need to address my fears and start overcoming those fears. Once I start overcoming these fears, one of them was learning how to read and write literally because I had a poor reading level all through school. So I wrote a book, my first book self published. I found a mentor who was a writer and he coached me on how to write a book. We wrote it together. I gained confidence, I gained skills. I overcame a fear and that gave me encouragement and I felt more abundant. I was like, Okay, I can do this. Second thing was learning how to speak in public. I could not speak in public to save my life. I went to Toastmasters every week for a year and practice public speaking, which is a class on public speaking, and it was horrible for the six months. For six months, but it got better every single week and I felt more empowered, so my energy shifted. The third one was salsa dancing. I was terrified of salt dance.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I've seen himself the dance. It's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Really, Oh yes, he can get out better than by the way, a lot of Latinos.
Speaker 4: I know, yes, absolutely, my heart next week.
Speaker 3: And I went salsa dancing three or four times a week to overcome this fear. I mean, you're a gringo in a culture of Latinos, listening to Latin music, listening to people speak Spanish. It felt like a different world. When I would go to the salsa club, right and I for the first three months I would go out. This is when I was just broken doing nothing. I would just sit in the corner like a creeper, you know, just watching people dancing, because I was like, this is fascinating and it's himidating. At the same time, ugaraways grew up like this right Puerto Rico specifically, You're like, you know, everyone's saws to dancing. And eventually I went out in the dance bar, girl grabbed me and brought me out there and I was like horrible, but I was like, Okay, I've overcome the fear, now let me go on in. Yeah. For the next year, I obsessed over salsa dancing and that gave me confidence, gave me courage. So I had this like richness inside of me. It was overcoming all my fears. I was building skills. I was like feeling good about myself, but I was still broke on my sister's couch. So that's level two emotionally abundant, feeling empowered, financially scarce. The third level is financially rich, having success financially, but emotionally scarce. After about five six years, I started making money building a business. I had some coaches. I just took extreme action, kind of burning myself out all day to make money, and I lost that emotional abundance. I used that energy to go create, but then when I had money, I started shrinking and started being scarce. I was like, I can't spend this money. I was anxious around the money. I was worried about it. I didn't want to lose it because I didn't want to go back to the couch. So that abundant energy shifted into scarcity even though I had financial richness, and that was the level three, And that's almost the worst level to live because you have money but you're emotionally poor.
Speaker 2: So was pretty scary because if you forget how you made the money because you let go of that other side exactly, you know, how do you get back to it?
Speaker 3: Right? It's saying now the fourth level is getting to a place of financial freedom. Whatever that looks like. It doesn't need to be millions of dollars, but you feeling like I'm good with my money. I'm not living months to month. I feel like I have some flexibility, some options, and I have financial piece, but I also have emotional piece. I have emotional abundance, and that takes practice. So these different levels of being broke financially and broke emotionally broke, financially abundant, emotionally rich financially emotionally scarce, to having money and being emotionally abundant. It was a journey of like learning growing here. First was like I need to make money, so let me just work really hard to make it. And then it was like I need to feel good about myself, but I have the money. It was all these different levels that that's one of the reasons why I wanted to write this book. So I was like, I have this money, but I made less one year and something happened inside of me where it made me feel anxious. So every year until three years ago, for like fifteen years, I made more money than the year before until three years ago, and it did something to me, and it was part of the reason why I wanted to write this book, because I was making more money, but I was worried about the number increasing every year. I don't know if it's something you've ever felt like, Ah, I didn't do as well, then something's wrong with me. What do I need to do more? And I was like, for six months, I was in a not a darker place, but I was like it was stressing me out. I was like, I've done really well saving my money, investing my money, I have every life insurance, I have like every investment account, retirement. I'm like, I'm good.
Speaker 2: Why am I Do you think it was because you were investing in your personal stability in life?
Speaker 3: I just think it was I'm so used to seeing the number of my business increase every year, and that was where my.
Speaker 2: But your currency was going up because I know in those last couple of years you're talking about, you would really invested in stability.
Speaker 3: Of your home.
Speaker 4: Exactly was it the dopamine of seeing just think?
Speaker 3: It was like I was so used to like my value. My self worth was tied to my net worth and a lot of us can become net worth millionaires but be broke with self worth. It doesn't mean we're a self worth millionaire. That's a different currency, networth versus self worth. And again, the guy who committed suicide was a net worth mega millionaire, but he was a self worth bankrupt. You know what I'm saying. Otherwise you wouldn't jump. Yeah, if you're a self worth millionaire, it doesn't matter how much money you have. You love you, you accept you. You know you can handle hard times also and get through it like you've got your own back. Even if the world's against you, you show up for you. And so for six months I was stressed about it, and then I was like, I need to do the emotional work. Why is this relationship with money holding me back? And can I find peace even if I'm making less money or if the money's going away in my bank account and I was like, I need to step into more generosity and more gratitude because that's where the abundance flows. Internally. I need to continue to do anything any healing work around money wounds. Take myself to money therapy as were as that sounds or in la so you guys are with it. And that process made me feel at peace. I invested more in my relationships and how can I expand those relationships and knowing that money is going to come when it comes and it's okay if it's up, if it's down, I'm at peace. Yeah, But it also doesn't mean like never look up my money and blow the money however I want. It's like, make sure I have a structure an organization and respect money. Don't just I don't come whenever it comes. It's like, you still have to respect a relationship when it sat down, you still need to like good to see you, how are you? You know, like give me a hug. You know you still have to respect it and be a responsible steward, be a steward of it. Absolutely, So that was the process for me. It was like, oh, something still off inside of me. I need to continue to evolve this and it doesn't mean I've mastered it. It's like a constant evolution, but it's a beautiful one when you can feel you have inner peace because that is the new rich.
Speaker 1: In your book. So I was filtering through it a little bit.
Speaker 2: Here you have this quote and every couple of pages this is so, this is so red.
Speaker 3: I do that for me because I need big words to be able to read. It says.
Speaker 2: In your book you have every couple of you know, between some of these chapters, you have a page where you have a quote, and it's very striking because it kind of reminds you where you are in the learning process of your book and as you're getting through it. These are things that either questions or things that make you reflect. If you never map out your future, you'll tend to retrace your past.
Speaker 3: What do you mean by that, Well, again, our belief system influences our behaviors. Right, If you believe a certain thing, it's based on your past, past memories and the meaning we give those memories create our beliefs, and our beliefs are only from our past. So unless we shape a new future, a new vision that the next project I create, I'm going to give full effort, and I'm going to appreciate the effort and the process and it doesn't matter the results. Sure, I want this result, and I can be a little let down if it doesn't hit it, but I'm really going to celebrate the day to day effort of how I showed up, and that's what's going to matter for me in the future. And I'm shifting. IM going to start to shift my belief and put value in how I show up with gratitude and generosity in every interaction daily versus the end result of a project, even though I know it takes two years to do lots of projects and all this time and energy and money. I'm going to shift my past way of being and believing because my behavior influences the results and reacting to that's good And when it start saying, you know what, me showing up adding value, coming up with my creativity, engaging with my team, appreciating my life, appreciating my spouse, being there, present as a father. That's where I'm going to place my value. And the results. If I'm on the red carpet this week are not, It's okay. If I'm number one on Netflix or number three, it's okay, and putting my value in the daily act of gratitude, generosity, appreciation, giving, receiving, presence versus the result. We're shaping a new behavior and mapping a new future, and then we can draw that future closer to us. We can start bringing it into us now because we're believing and behaving differently.
Speaker 1: Or you're going to say.
Speaker 4: No, no, you're saying, it's funny because the conversation we're having earlier, you're saying to put the value on who you are are as a person as opposed to the you know.
Speaker 5: The value coming from the hows.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to do because I you know, if I can go into comparison mode easy, if I wanted to, I could be like, I know, I'm adding a lot of value in the world. Why is my bank account not reflecting it? When someone might be doing some trash stuff and they have a lot more money. But I'm playing a different game when I go into that space versus the value is the impact. The value is in being creative. It's and being able to express my art. It's not in the amount that Netflix or Apple or Disney paid me for the bank That's just so hard to do when you when you could compare and ask your friends, oh, you made that much for this thing? You made that much I should be making. It's like the ego goes quickly into why didn't I make that much? Is it because I'm an immigrant? You know, it's like going all these things. Yeah, you could definitely, I'm not pretty enough, were talented enough of this?
Speaker 2: It's easier to find a villain of course, then actually self you know, self accountability and in reflection right like this, it's.
Speaker 4: Kind of like in our industry, I guess the equivalent of that is sort of what we were talking about earlier. Uh, how an actor and artist can put that value right, you're saying the value is on the money, where the value is on the level of fame you achieve or these projects that you in the followers, and then that dictates who you are.
Speaker 5: But you're really a crappy person inside exactly.
Speaker 3: And you guys probably know tons of people in the industry who are not good people, but they're on every red carpet or every ward show. They're being celebrated.
Speaker 1: They are putting out a signal of a brand that they're not.
Speaker 3: Of course, and you all know those people who are out there. You're in that daily but but they're dead and they're living, they're living a miserable life inside.
Speaker 2: So going back to School of Great News, by the way, is I want to I want to make sure that people understand the the you know, the gravity of what you've built. But School of Great News, you've you've obviously explored some of the most incredible minds.
Speaker 1: And I was talking.
Speaker 2: About it earlier that you know that the world went from listening to this great conversation to them being like, louis you heard enough of this thing, You've practiced enough of it, and you're also.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what what do you think?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Is there a conversation or who was I know everyone probably asked of the same thing.
Speaker 1: What's your guess? What's the one guess?
Speaker 2: But is there uh an episode where you yourself was like, hm, I I you know, I either I either I learned something. I mean, you always learned something primary guests, but I guess the big conversation, the big question is is there been an episode or a guess and where you saw either some of yourself in them and you felt like, oh my god, I get this person at a different level because seeing myself.
Speaker 3: Uh huh. The two guests that come to mind, well, I mean, again, there's lots of great guests, but there's a there's two moments. One was interviewing Kobe, which was unbelievable, which was just a cool moment for me. I guess it was like six years ago a while ago now, but it was just a cool moment to see someone of that much fame and success and accomplishment, at least with me, be very present and very genuine when he had just won an Oscar like six months before then.
Speaker 1: He just retired.
Speaker 3: He retired, he won five NBA championships, he had all the money he sold some company for like hundreds of million dollars, like body arm or some water company. I mean, it's just like win after win. And he was just so present and so generous. Again, he had a grateful and generous heart. So the session felt abundant, you know what I'm saying. He was present with me, He was grateful that I was there to interview him when I was still like kind of up and coming. It wasn't like big right, and he was. He was grateful and he was generous, and he created abundance in the moment through those two things. That energy. He could have been hurry up, he could have been like, let's go, yeah, create a really scarce energy, but he created abundance through gratitude and generosity. That energy amplified a message that inspired so many people around the world. It impacted me personally. I'm still talking about six years later, moment of gratitude and generosity. So that was a really cool experience, which reminds you that it doesn't matter how successful you are. He could be a jerk to someone and create a horrible moment. And our life is made up of moments, meaning we give those memories. That's our life.
Speaker 1: When people walk away from from you, right, it's this.
Speaker 3: It's moments and the interpretation of these memories that is our life. That's all we have. And so he created a moment that for me, it was really impactful. There's a there's a brain surgeon and neuroscientist that I had on His name is Rahul and he'd done over a thousand brain surgeries. So he was physically like opening skulls and like taking out tumors cancer from brains. He's here in like calabasis area, but he also studied neuroscience. So he had a PhD in neuroscience, which studies the mind. So he is a brain surgeon studying physical matter but also studying the mind.
Speaker 1: How that thing he's upbraiding on works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Like how does energy influence matter? Right? The mind is not in the brain. It's like what is the mind? So it's fascinating. So I interviewed him. I said, as a brain surgeon who's done a thousand surgeries but also a PhD in neuroscience studying the mind, what is the number one skill that every human should have and if they have this skill, they will better themselves in their life forever. He said. Emotional regulation. He's like, if every human being could master emotional regulation, which is healing the nervous system healing, yeah, which is going back into wholeness, which is being in alignment. If we're out of alignment, we are not going to be able to regulate our emotions because anytime we're triggered or wounded or ah, we're going to react to defend, we're going to shrink. But if we learn to regulate our emotions or nervous our emotions, emotional regulation, that means that we are whole. Within our nervous system, we are in alignment. From the way we think to how we feel is whole. Yeah, And if we don't think and feel in a sense of alignment, it doesn't mean we're not going to have frustrations or challenges or stressful moments. It doesn't mean everything is perfect all the time. That's a spiritual bypass. But it's being able to regulate and get back to Okay, I'm having a moment. I'm going to process this moment and I'm gonna get back into alignment and move on, not stay in the past hurt or pain, but be able to process and move on. And so for me, that's been kind of a through line for the last twelve years of interviews. It's like a lot of people are just trying to teach these tools around how to heal right, because that is true greatness.
Speaker 1: It's like, sure, you can be optimal at that point exactly.
Speaker 3: And if sure, we can teach people how to prepare for the moment, how to prepare for an audition, how to get the gig, how to launch a business, how to make money. You can teach all these things how to get into great shape. But if you still don't feel whole and complete? Are you great?
Speaker 4: Do you find that that's been a common thread in all of the guests that you've interviewed, and do you feel like that's been a part of why they've been able to achieve the great achieved, whether it's a brain surgeon or a monk or Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think the first couple of years I was more interested in, like how to be successful?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Then it turned into okay, well success doesn't mean your head.
Speaker 1: There's a common de nominator, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, okay, so how do I how do I have the life of my dreams and feel that I actually have it? Because still Wilmer doesn't feel that he has life my stream, It's very true.
Speaker 5: I feel like they've all said that same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just kind of how I think about it all. It's like they haven't said that, but it's more of like that's what I've been asking questions around from like leaders in every area of life. I'm more like, are you truly Like what's the key to you being the best you can be and getting the results, but also feeling like you matter whether you have it or you don't. That's kind of the season about now.
Speaker 2: So as first of all, unbelievable pool of incredible inspiration, so many tools, and so many things we can walk out of this beautiful conversation that we can practice, that we can acquire, that we can aim to learn more of. Obviously, I really want everyone to get make money easy because there is an emotional attachment to, you know, the the unlocking of your success. And I think that's something that's very evident based on all the conversations with all the incredible.
Speaker 1: People that you've had.
Speaker 2: So you've had so much success in the last you know, in the last decade and a half, you have built something that has not just inspired the world, but has probably made a lot of people very successful.
Speaker 1: You know, And as you look.
Speaker 2: At ahead, you look at the world in front of you, what's next for you?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: What do you what? What is that that you pictured next?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Like you talked about you asked us about you know, if money rolls in here, like you know, you know, how do you prepare for that?
Speaker 1: How do you talk to it?
Speaker 2: But you know, you know you lewis, how do how do you look at the future? And he says, what do you where do you want to go next. What's what's next for you? Or do you have that picture?
Speaker 5: Prime Time Talk shot?
Speaker 3: Now? My vision is to serve and impact one hundred million lives every single week to help them improve the quality of their life. That's the vision I have for myself. How can I show up today, do the best I can to serve and reach a hundred million lives this week. I'm not there yet. That's been my mission for the last twelve years. I haven't reached that goal, you know. And the reason I'm doing a podcast is because the best avenue to be able to reach that many people in this season. If there's a new tool or new avenue, like I'm open to that avenue, it doesn't the mechanism I'm not attached to. The mission is what I'm committed to, and that is service, and that is serving people where they're at to help them overcome their challenges. There's no greater joy for me. That is my art. How can I create a piece of content and speak to one person who's listening or watching to unlock something in them where they feel a sense of peace and freedom in their life where they once felt blocked. And you guys, get to do this through art through movies, TV, music, you know, whatever it might be, podcasts. You guys express yourself that way to give people a lesson, a story, something to unlock with them of relatability to hopefully create some type of freedom. And that's the way you guys do it in many other ways as well. That's my art. It's how can I be the example and continue to be on my own journey and serve the best way possible. Now in my therapy and coaching sessions today I ask my coach what are men at seventy eighty years old, fifty sixty seventy eighty years old? What are they struggling with? What is their achilles heel? What is the thing that gets them in trouble? And I'm more thinking about my future self every day, right, How can I make sure I'm preventing anything that could I could put myself into pain. It doesn't mean I'm not gonna make mistakes and I'm not gonna have challenges. Life's gonna throw things at me. But how can I set myself up now that fifty sixty eighty year old me says, I'm so glad you woke up early.
Speaker 2: So power folks, you know so many people ask you this one question, what could you will? What will you tell your your Yeah, your younger self or you think your ten year old self, you're fine.
Speaker 3: I asked my future self this christ that's so much better. I'm Matthew McConaughey myself. I say, I'm chasing the ten year old version of me. That's my hero. I'm never going to be my hero that speech that he did at the office of me. But I'm thinking twenty thirty years out and I'm asking my therapist who coaches, you know, uber successful men in their fifty sixties seventies, I'm like, what are they dealing with? And a lot of it is up. Their marriages are broken because they were chasing success, Their kids don't hang out with them, they hurt them, you know, whatever it is. And so, okay, how can I continue to evolve myself spiritually, emotionally, my health so I don't like get overweight and have to deal with like some horrible disease when I'm seventy and then be a burden. Right, It's like, how can I show up with my best version. It doesn't guarantee everything's gonna be okay, but it's setting myself up for greater success. So I'm thinking about that. But my own personal dream is Los Angeles Olympics in three and a half years.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, being.
Speaker 3: An Olympian, because when I was on my sister's couch sixteen and a half years ago, I had a full arm cast on and broke my wrist playing professional football. I was in a cast in this position for six months sleep on my sister's couch. Was twenty four and twenty four attorney in twenty five, So when I turned twenty five, it was in two thousand and eight, the Olympics in Beijing, and I just got my cast off, and I was kind of depressed and down sad that I wasn't going to be able to play football anymore. This was my life, my dream, Like imagine never being able to act again. That's what happened to me, and my identity shattered, and I was just kind of depressed. What do I do with my life? I have no other value, I have no their talents. What can I do? And at three am in the morning, Beijing Olympics two thousand and eight, the sport called team handball comes on. You watched a little bit of highlights before you came in and I go, where has this sport been my whole life? And I was like, this is the thing I was meant to do.
Speaker 5: Why do you think it resonated that way?
Speaker 3: Because the way the athletes were performing, I was like, I have those skills right now. It's like running, jumping. They're tall guys. They're like throwing really fast, hard like and it's like it's like soccer with.
Speaker 1: Your hands, soccer with your hands.
Speaker 3: And I was like, I can do this. I played baseball, I played basketball, I played football. Is like this is built for me. Dream planted in my soul sixty and a half years ago. Now. As a kid, I always wanted to go to the Olympics, but I didn't know how. I wasn't good enough in track and field. But when this happened, one tragedy struck and a dream started and I moved to New York City two and a half years after that to go play with a team in New York City. I made the club team ten months later, as I moved to LA I remember the exact moment I was backstage at Jimmy Kimmel. I got like an invite to go backstage to watch Jimmy Kimmel and I was fresh in LA. It was like, I'll do everything and Hollywood. I was like, yeah, the bar bar exactly. I wasn't on Jimmy Kimble, but I was like I had like a backstage thing to like go back there. And I got an email that said, You've been selected on the USA national team. I'm getting chills thinking about I got this email and I was like the dream was like coming alive because I was taking the action steps for years and we never qualified for the Olympics because you have to win the Pan American Games and we haven't qualified since nineteen ninety six. So I played for eight years and I kind of gave up on it because I was like, no matter how good I get, the whole team has to be great to qualify. It doesn't matter if I'm the best player in the world, were not qualify. So I haven't played for six years. The last time I played, I was on the USA team in Brazil playing against Brazilian national team twenty nineteen, and I was like, I think I might be done because there's no path. But then we got the bid for the Olympics, and if you're the host country, every sport has an automatic qualifier. But this was like ten years out and I was thirty five, right, and I was like, man, ten years is a long time. And then COVID happened. Then I tore my achilles and I was just like, I think I might be done. But then I went to Paris to watch the Olympics to see that. I was like, I need to see if this dream is inside of me. So I flew to Paris, I washed handball and it was alive.
Speaker 1: Well, Caddy was boiling. You're like, it's like still that guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm still that guy. But do I have what it takes? So for the last eight months, I've been training and rehabbing, and next month I'm going to Spain for a month to play with the protein for a month. Now, it's still it's still three and a half years away. It's a marathon. It's a month by.
Speaker 2: It is, but it is enough time for you to like really take your times the mechanics bag.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to see and one month I'm going to know is this even possible or not? Why Spain? Why do you have to go to It's one of the best countries that plays handball. I know a coach who's like invited me to come play. And if I'm going to play professionally and go back and forth somewhere, I want to be in Spanish speaking country so I can continue to learn Spanish. Where in Spain are you going? This is a small town called Leone. It's about two hours north of Madrid.
Speaker 1: Small town, dude, Well.
Speaker 3: This is my personal dream.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: First of all, thank you for just yeah, everything, just everything. There's just so much and every time we talk, we you know, you know, we go to these places that just on taps. One of the things that I'm absolutely one percent going to continue to dwell on is is you know, what do I want to be and what do I want to be able to say when I'm sixty five? You know, like I'm going to start building towards that sick the happy sixty five year old version of myself, which starts as soon as I'm done go upstairs and and passionately kiss my wife. You know, it's like I'm going to start with that when I'm gonna say, hey, baby, you're the best daughter in the planet.
Speaker 1: You know, like there's just so much that wakes up in me and that.
Speaker 3: So also celebrating yourself for all the little winds. Yeah, it's like allowing your friends to celebrate. It doesn't have to be a freaking you know, Mexican party every day, that'll be, But it's like allowing a dinner and friends coming over and hanging out and having whatever.
Speaker 1: It's like, well today we're going to in or you're you're gonna pay.
Speaker 3: I'll pay, I'll pay.
Speaker 2: And and then for me, you know, to be able to hear you this motivated, this excited and first of all, you're in great shape already you walked up, you know, like a Greek god from.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh my god, this guy's doing something right.
Speaker 2: But to see that you have this this goal and knowing the amount of mental strengthening you've done, uh, the amount of soul fueling that you have done, like it's you're.
Speaker 1: Not gonna be stopped. It's like it's going to happen.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing. You know, the dream is to be an Olympian. And I thought that dream was over years ago. The dream is still alive now. And I am at a place where whether it happens or not, I'm at peace. Yes, because I'm going to pursue it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's the wind and that is the win.
Speaker 3: Now, it doesn't mean that if I don't make it, I'm not going to be disappointed. Sure I might be sad or disappointed.
Speaker 1: But friends will throw you a party, exactly right.
Speaker 3: It's also when I'm sixty five, Well, I regret not going and pursuing this, right. I don't want to be regretting at sixty five, at eighty five and be like, oh, I was too scared, too scared to go for it. Like I'm okay with not making it, but I'm not okay with not going for it.
Speaker 1: I'm liu.
Speaker 3: That's so incredible, And it's really hard when we're at this level of like credibility or success or comfort to try new things or to pursue something that's scary.
Speaker 1: That's a different gear change.
Speaker 3: It's a different gear change, and it's like that it demands something inside of me that's I've never had before. It's like being married, trying to manage the business going back. It's like a whole new way of being. But again, I don't want to regret in four years, three and a half years, when the Olympics are here at least I'll know either way, like, Okay, you went for it. You did everything you could. You either made the team again you're on it, or you did it. And at least I'm okay with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can take so much serenity, so much you know, peace from knowing that these tools are available to all of us.
Speaker 1: Right And and I think today you.
Speaker 2: Created enough road map that some of us who not only listened to this conversation or watching this conversation from comfort home home, found a little bit of inspiration today to move forward with the things that either scared us or two we never thought we deserved, you know, and allowing for that grace to come back into your life, because that grace turns into the fresh air you need to kind of mobilize that passion again and really aim to the place that you you always knew you could go to and and really give yourself that love and respect, that love. You know that that you're you know that you're worth the success you want. There's so much about that any any frontal things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, first of all, thank you, I'm so grateful that you're here.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And and I think the biggest thing for me and that I love to hear from you. Was about healing. It's about healing, was about working on yourself, was about working on your character as a human being, and how that is the currency, and how that is the most important thing. And the money and the success and all that other stuff is secondary because you could, like you said, the guy who jumped off the.
Speaker 5: Building, right, you could have all the money in the world.
Speaker 1: But if if your if your.
Speaker 4: Character is not in place, if your quality as a person is not in place, and then that means nothing.
Speaker 3: Right exactly right?
Speaker 2: Well, uh, Louis, I mean, I just knew in my heart this this conversation had to happen. And uh, and you know, and again this is why it's valuable to you know, to identify these individuals in your life that continue to reignite you and to you know, to energize you and who you want to be.
Speaker 1: And that's so I'm just so grateful.
Speaker 2: We always do this for each other, and like the fact that we're able to do this, you know, for everyone, and you've done this for so many people in your show and all that school of greatness is everywhere you can, you know, you find your podcasting. Yeah, this is Uh, did you do the audio.
Speaker 3: Yet for that, I did the audit too. I recorded it O great.
Speaker 2: So the audio in the book is available everywhere that you can find a book or you listen to your books. Make sure you're listening to Lewis House make money easy, create financial freedom and live a richer life, which is a beautiful, beautiful message.
Speaker 1: And that being said, thank you so great, hey Lewis. I'm Wilmer Valdorama.
Speaker 5: I'm Freddie Rodriguez.
Speaker 1: This was Those Amigos and see you next time.
Speaker 4: Those Amigos is a production from WV Sound and iHeartMedia's Michael through That podcast Network, hosted by Me, Freddie Rodriguez and Wilmer Valdorama.
Speaker 2: Those Amigos is produced by Aaron Burleson and Sophie Spencer's abos.
Speaker 4: Our executive producers are Wilmer Valdorama, Freddie Rodriguez, Aaron Burlson, and Leo Klem at WV Sound.
Speaker 2: This episode was shot and edited it by Ryan Posts and mixed by Sean Tracy and features original music by Madison Devenport and Halo Boy.
Speaker 4: Our cover art photography is by David Avalos and designed by Deny.
Speaker 2: Holtzclaw and thank you for being their third amigo today. I appreciate you guys always listening to those amos.
Speaker 4: For more podcasts from my Heart, visit the ir heart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 1: To you next week.